No changes to lines at practice

After enjoying an off-day on Monday, the Canadiens were back on the ice Tuesday morning in Brossard as they prepare to face the Ottawa Senators Wednesday night at the Bell Centre (7 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN 690 Radio).

There were no changes to the lines at practice with Ryder-Plekanec-Gionta; Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher; Galchenyuk-Eller-Dumont; and Moen-White-Armstrong. The defence pairings were Markov-Emelin; Gorges-Subban; Bouillon-Pateryn; with Kaberle the odd man out again.

“I’m satisfied with the progression of our team,” coach Michel Therrien told reporters after practice. “We can put the emphasis on details now. Players are receptive.”

Rene Bourque, who has been sidelined with a concussion, skated for about an hour before practice. Petteri Nokelainen, who has been sidelined all season with a lingering back injury, took part in practice and did all the drills. Injured Brandon Prust, Yannick Weber and Raphael Diaz were not at practice. Diaz has resumed light workouts.

With Diaz and Weber out, rookie defenceman Greg Pateryn will play his third consecutive game against Ottawa. Carey Price will start in goal, while Ben Bishop is the likely starter for Ottawa. He made 44 saves when the Senators beat the Canadiens 2-1 on Feb. 25 in Ottawa.

After Wednesday’s game against Ottawa, the Canadiens will have a two-day break before facing the Devils Saturday night in New Jersey.

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Habs’ turnaround a major NHL story, by Dave Stubbs

Habs are No. 4 in The Hockey News Power Rankings, by Stu Cowan

Canadiens.com notebook

Watch how Habs get warmed up, 24CH

Don’t forget. The Pens acquired Guerin for a 3rd. It’s not like Pittsburgh ransacked and pilfered their cupboards bare to acquire him.

2. parkex says:

Anyone know if the Habs take a plane to Ottawa or the bus, as its less than a two hour drive away?

3. Hstands4Hockey says:

Haven’t even noticed Pateryn since he’s been called up, which is a good thing for a rookie defenseman. It’ll be interesting to see what they do with Nokelainen when he’s finally healthy. Personally I think they should sent him to Hamilton for a conditioning stint if his contract allows for it. No idea what to expect from him he never impressed me even before his injuries but that was a small window to evaluate.

Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
    @Hstands4Hockey

4. kmachabs27 says:

In response to this years trade deadline, i have a feeling MB is going to go by the old saying “dont try and fix if it aint broken”

5. twilighthours says:

You guys need to get the he11 out of here… And over to the new thread

6. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Sorry for the NFL talk but my Chargers lost the only guy that can block on the O-line to Denver…WTF?

7. petefleet says:

I’m not going to sit here and tell you that I saw this (1st place) coming, but I will tell you that I’m not totally suprised. If buddy, who watches all the games with me, was here, he’d tell you that all last year I said “They aren’t really as bad as their record says they are!” I, of course, had no idea how bad the organization was internally. Who did? But I did think that this team had a solid foundation. How many one goal games last year? How many blown leads in the third period? All the parts were there last year, save Gomez, to succeed but injuries to key personel took their toll. They were dead last in the east but not dead last in every catagory. In fact there were some very positive stats associated with last year; the PK for instance. The addition of the rookies this year infused some hope for the future and the addition of Prust infused some much needed grit. Overall it’s the same team except Gomez is gone, thankfully, and Kaberle isn’t playing, thankfully. How many times was it put in print last year “if Tomas Plekanec had stable wingers”? I think we all knew that Pleks was not going to repeat his performance last year. I felt sorry for the guy!! Too many guys got too much ice last year that didn’t earn it…Wber, Gomez, and Kaberle. It’s only three guys but what a difference it makes to give those minutes to guys who work hard every shift.
    I haven’t bought my tix to the Stanley Cup yet, but for those who thought about Stanley when they finished first in the east a few years ago, this is a much better team. I hope they can avoid the injury bug a little longer.

******************************************
    “Backup goalie getting the shut out is like your mistress babysitting your kids. Did a great job but still feels wrong.”

Mutt

***Habs Forever***

• Cardiac says:

A huge change from last year are the injuries. Aside from Bourque and Diaz, it’s a far cry from all the injuries we had to live with from last season (Markov, Campoli, Gionta, even Gomez).

– Jerry Maguire

• HardHabits says:

The thing is, in the NHL the difference between first and last is not that great. In relation to the other teams they were that bad. Whether it was dysfunction, injuries, Gomez, whatever. Put it all together and it was a lump sum of suckitude.

If they were not as bad as they were last year than they are not as good as they are this year. I prefer to see it the other way around. Last year they were pretty awful and this year they are surprisingly good.

Anything else is just embellishment and sophistry.

8. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

One other point I’d like to make about trading one of the three second round picks: they could also be used to move up in the draft. Did anyone mind moving up for Tinordi? Maybe there is someone that Timmons really wants and the Habs can get by moving up? I’d rather use up a pick for this than a rental.

9. Adidess says:

I’m just leaving work, so don’t know whether this has been discussed.

Both La Presse and RDS have a piece today – a different one, mind you – hailing PK’s ‘growth and maturity’ for refusing to talk to the media today after every sports reporter on the beat rushed to his locker to put a camera/tape recorder in his face.

‘No media today’, he reportedly said before disappearing. Now I’m all for players using discretion in when they speak to the press and what they tell them, but isn’t it funny how narratives take shape?

Why exactly not talking to the press today is a better decision than talking to them? The press gets to decide… He’s been playing well, so no negative spin to put on it. They also like the fake humility stuff where other players are best placed to answer questions on how well well a professional athlete is playing, you know.

Also, why do they always target Subban for interviews at media availability if they think it’s better if he doesn’t talk all the time?

Isn’t this a different standard applied to PK when other players who respond to every interview request are often lauded for always making themselves available?

Again, the pieces were very positive about PK, I just found them strange.

• JUST ME says:

In a way P.K. is doomed. Damned if he does damned if he doesn`t .
      Actually i think that P.K. is the first student of Patrice Brisebois who is in part in charge of making sure that the athletes are ready for life in the NHL off the ice.

I think it`s a very good initiative of the new managing team . P.K. himself will be able to thank them later on cause he has been under the spotlight as few have been in the last decade. Not that it is not O.K. to be outspoken like P.K. is but i think that he was left alone to deal with it by the ex-boss . Just not sure that at a young age you can deal with Montreal`s jungle when it comes to the habs.

• ed says:

I’ve given up trying to figure out why Subban is booed and hated.

As I have said here several times, he will be a 15+ year NHL player, a consistent Norris trophy candidate, and a d-man to be considered at least at the same level as Markov and Chelios, by the time he hangs them up.

But what do I know?

10. habsfan0 says:

It’s a good day.
    Buffalo Bills have just released starting QB Ryan Fitzpatrick.

So, if the Steelers are looking to upgrade on Benjamin Todd “Ben” Roethlisberger…..

11. frontenac1 says:

@phil. Good post amigo. Agree with everything except Morgan Ellis. That kid could be really be special. I want to let the Org. Work with him more. Its his first year out of junior.

• Phil C says:

@Front. If they hold on to Ellis, maybe another d-man prospect could be shopped. They have some depth in the system on D, it would be nice to use it to address organizational weaknesses, especially if it could help with a Cup run.

12. Loonie says:

Regarding the fourth line.

Travis Moen has been mailing it in. Ryan White had some discipline issues.

But can somebody explain to me what “improvements” we need to make on that line?

The reason these guys are on the fourth line is that they aren’t capable scorers.

Why are people surprised that they don’t fight every night and don’t score every night?

Their job is to get offensive zone stoppages, provide rest for the other lines and create energy(fighting, forechecking hard, occasional goal).

Why in the name of Sam Pollock would this team strive to improve on a fourth line that is doing its job?

We have weakness on this roster. A need to protect the front of the net better. We need to be better at gaining possession on faceoffs, need to improve the penalty kill.

The fourth line has been fine.

• krob1000 says:

I am thinking the logic would be more of another guy capable of sliding up in the lineup if need be should more injuries happen. As is the team can stomach I believe about 3 meduim calibre injuries up front and 2 relatviely significant ones…if we run into a situation where there are more than that it gets iffy. In a playoff run I would want to be more prepared and get another 10-15 goal guy on that fourth line…slide one of the others in and out of the pressbox. The team has three capable offensvie dmen and NOkia isn;t insurance enough for me…I think the people suggesting a Dom Moore type are onto something and it can be likely had for next to nothing at the deadline. More of an insurance policy for up front ..at least that is how I view it.

• Loonie says:

If we’re worried about guys who can slide up on the depth chart we should be concerned about Hamilton. Not the fourth line.

• krob1000 says:

In theory I agree….but the only glaring weakness in our system (that and we could use a better 3rd goalie)…is we have a ton of prospects whoa re a couple years or closer away. We have several who are further away but look like very good prospects…but as far as forwards ready here and now for this given playoffs…aside from Leblanc Hamilton is kind of hurting, Kristo staying that extra year hurt that depth too granted. I would trade a mid/late round pick or mid grade prospect to get an insurance policy for the depth lines for sure given the cost is cheap and if the intended run is long in the playoffs there is plenty of chance of injury and limited time to integrate and fuse youth into a new system.

• shiram says:

Armstrong has 28 hits in 26 games, he could be more physical out there, Moen and White lay out more hits.
      Moen with 8 giveaways and no takeaways.
      I mean, come on! We need something to complain about, or should we re-open one of these debates.
      Price v Halak
      Is Price elite?
      Bring back Kovalev?
      Eller v DD ?

• Mr_MacDougall says:

The PK has not been great and MT uses 4th liners… they are not doing a great job in that respect.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

I’ve been leaning toward getting a defenceman as well. Ladislav Smid is at the top of my list. The problem I’m facing is, who do you take out for him?

PK, Gorges — definitely not.

Diaz, when back, has been a revelation this year. Would find it hard, even with his size, to take him out.

Boullion has been great, Emelin is coming on strong.

Marky has lost a step for sure and might be Kaberle 2.0 in a season or two…but right now, he’s still marshalling that PP extremely well and isn’t a total disaster in his own end (yet?)

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

With respect to the fourth line, I would want to give MT flexibility with depth in case Moen, White or Armstrong start mailing it in.

• Gerry H says:

Agree 100%, Tom. I would have to think that, with the possible exception of goaltending, the fourth line is MB’s bottom priority.

• kempie says:

I’d settle for a guy who is decidedly above 50% in the faceoff circle. Other than that, I agree with everything you said.

13. habs4ever2894 says:

Despite what some people are saying i really dont think the habs need to acquire any high priced rental players in order to make a serious run in the playoffs. As it stands now the only place where i can really see a need for improvement is on the fourth line. Dumont(will be ready next year) nor White give the fourth line any offensive punch and i think the player to look at to fill that role is Nokelainen or possibly the addition of Dominic Moore. Moore in a pre determined role can make a huge difference in the playoffs like he did a couple of years back and this would be a similar move to Peverley to Boston for their cup run. Another cheap acquisition could be Regher to shore up the D. There’s no use giving up the farm for rentals period. Even if the habs seem to have a window of opportunity only a couple of cheap moves are necessary to push them over the top and make them the best team that they can be this year.

14. Phil C says:

I will disappointed if the Habs don’t flip at least one of their second round picks for some extra depth, especially on defense. I would even say it would be a mistake if they hold on to all their picks given the opportunity to win it all this year. They have 4 picks out of the top sixty, so they could flip two of those and still be no farther behind a normal year.

I think they could do a lot better than Kaberle and Weber for defensive depth, and the price should be no higher than a 2nd rounder for that kind of player.

I also support trading a prospect that might be too far down the depth chart to go anywhere with Montreal, maybe a guy like Morgan Ellis who is behind Beaulieu, Tinordi, and Pateryn, especially with Dietz and Nygren starting to blossom. For a prospect, I would prefer if it was a hockey deal rather than a rental deal, ie picking up an RFA or a player under contract.

I hope they keep their first rounder and any of their blue chip prospects rather than deal them for a rental. The Habs should be able to improve their roster significantly by trading at least one 2nd round pick and/or a second-tier prospect.

• ed says:

I agree with your post, but I just want to throw something at you anyway.

Morgan Ellis will be an NHL d-man, and a he has the character and leadership ability to play for 10+ years at the NHL level once he makes it.

He’s also 6’2, over 200 lbs, and a right handed shot.

I watched him play a lot at the Junior level and he was outstanding when he left for Hamilton.

He is smart, composed, and talented, and all he’s missing is some seasoning and some Pro level confidence.

He won’t be 21 until the end of April.

• Phil C says:

That’s why I would prefer any deal for a prospect to be a hockey deal. For all the reasons you mention, he should bring a decent return. They are not going to get much for a useless prospect. You have to give to get. If the return is right, of course.

15. Lafleurguy says:

Are the Habs overachieving? Or are they revealing their true potential that was suppressed last year? The Kings probably overachieved last year, but they were also better than their 8th place, 95 point regular season finish. A GM who thinks clearly on the fly can shepherd several of the teams currently in contention deep into late playoff rounds, and I believe MB is one such GM. In contrast, I don’t think Feaster is that type of GM, not for nearly losing two draftpicks for nothing, but for trying to get O’Reilly by purposely overpaying. He was overpaying by design because the offered contract term was two years and not six. Desperation. Why the Cole-Ryder trade didn’t take place earlier was because MB had to wait until opportunity knocked. We just have to be patient to see what other unforeseen opportunities suddenly come up. One of our strongest trade assets is P.K. because of his tremendous play, and especially because of his very cap-friendly contract. It would take trading someone like him to get a premium player back. I don’t recommend it.

“May you live in interesting times.”

16. Alex_425 says:

I want to finally join the esteemed group of people here that actually have a profile pic, but I can’t figure out how to upload one. Is it only for VIPs or something?

17. rhino514 says:

A playoff team has a one in sixteen chance to win the Cup. Why would you give up picks or prospects to slightly increase a one in sixteen chance? doesn´t make any sense to me.
    Furthermore, hockey is largely about chemistry. Adding a player to your team with only a month´s worth of games left doesn´t give the player alot of time to gel, and you never know how well they will fit in.
    For one instance in which a rental MAY have won a team a Cup there are probably 15 instances where it didn´t help; maybe a few instances where it may have helped the team go a round further…
    Look at Nashville last year, a disaster. That type of thing happens almost every year.
    I can see adding a minor piece, but giving up a first or even a mid to high second rounder? Not worth it…unless it is, as some stated, a hockey trade, and the player will stick with the team and help the team down the line

18. frontenac1 says:

@burly. I’m not a religious guy. Didn’t know if the eEvil Barkeep was kidding me or not.Smoke signals eh? Pretty cool.

19. habsfan0 says:

Several questions that need to be answered soon:
    Will Habs upgrade by trading for a dominant,imposing centreman?
    Will they trade for a mammoth,stay at home defenseman?
    Will Tomas Kaberle ever play another game for this team?
    Who shot JR this time?

20. shiram says:

With the cap being what it is, I feel like we need to have those talented rookies, on entry level deals, to be as competitive as possible in the near future.
    Those guys need to replace some aging/costly vet so the team can be improved overall.

I just had a nutty thought.

Washington, Florida and Tampa are basically out of the playoff race. If Winnipeg doesn’t make it then that just leaves Carolina from the SE.

Carolina is just one point ahead of the final playoff spot (forgetting divisional seeding). If they falter ever so slightly (and the Isles or Philly grab 8th) then you could have all five southeast teams out of the playoffs (point wise). Carolina would then jump from 9th to 3rd and knock out a team that has legitimately made the playoffs.

It probably won’t happen but it could get ugly if fate intervenes.

22. Lafleurguy says:

Luckily, as one way to look at it, the Flames used the no. 1 pick they got for Tanguay to pick Greg Nemiscz. One year after, they traded Brandon Prust away.

23. The Jackal says:

On the subject of trading for a rental.
    I would not do it. The Habs are not a finished product, but they are a good team with chemistry and character.
    I would not give away a pick or a prospect for a guy that may walk in the offseason.

If MB thinks we can make a run at the cup, then I hope what he gets us is a Nasty D man who is NOT a UFA… or that we can re-sign.

If anything, I hope MB deals Weber or Kaberle for more picks. Maybe then I would countenance trading away our picks.

I say we focus to the long-term plan to be perennial contenders and not go for a flash in the pan half season wonder.

• Loonie says:

Chemistry and character don’t mow the lawn.

• The Jackal says:

That’s because they win games.
        Having a cohesive team that plays well and is tough to play against wins more games than having a team with good players on paper but that does not come together as a unit.
        The Habs do that, and they will continue to do that. I’d let them proof themselves in the playoffs, maybe make some tweaks. But a rental player is not in our best interests this year. Unless the player is part of the long-term plan, they probably should not be brought in for assets.

• Les-Habitants says:

Seems to be working alright so far

Hal Gill is that you? :)

• Loonie says:

Fellas. I’m in agreement that chemistry and character are the foundation for a great team.

But they don’t clear the front of the net and they don’t put the puck in the other team’s net.

• The Jackal says:

I agree with you there, but I don’t like the idea of trading for a RENTAL.
          If we trade for someone who fits in with the plan, then yeah, but a rental is not a good idea.

• Loonie says:

I think it depends on the rental. I won’t be complaining if Bergevin gives away a second rounder an excellent forward or defenseman who happens to be a free agent next year.

24. frontenac1 says:

One of the TV”s at the saloon today had the Pope concave on . Black smoke,white smoke? Is this for real or are they messing with us?

25. habs001 says:

The Habs may look at adding some 4th line upgrades for the playoffs….If this was a regular season the standings after 26 games would really be meaningless as many teams have collapsed after a great 30 game start but because of the lock out we are now in game 61 of the season so the position the team is now may not be the same next year….The pk personal i believe will need upgrading for the playoffs as this is an area i can see causing the Habs to lose a series even if they outplay the other team..

26. frontenac1 says:

Louis Leblanc lost his mojo IMO. It was more than the high ankle sprain.Hope he finds it again,I like the kid.

27. frontenac1 says:

I really like what I’m seeing from Dumont.

28. derfab says:

When we get a left winger back, where will Ryder play? I would rather see him with Eller and I would much rather see Dumont or Louis Leblanc over Armstrong.
    Moen could play with Pleks for the short term. Maybe it will wake him out of his sulky slumber, since he seems to think he can contribute offensively and Prust has taken his over his role and spot.

29. Rad says:

I would be surprised if Bergevin made any big moves between now and the trade deadline. He doesn’t have to. The Habs continue to roll along nicely. The only real need the Habs have right now is some toughness on D, and that is why Greg Pateryn has been brought up for a look see. Let’s see if the Michigian product gets his confidence and starts laying the body on a few opponents.

30. bwoar says:

Bill, you are starting to win me over. With 6 picks in the first 3 rounds, we could stand to gamble a bit. Really I think we ought to be sure to have a bruising depth D-man, and be absolutely sure to have a centre who can win key draws. Matt Hendricks of Colorado, let’s say. Probably give up a 3rd rounder for him.

Not sure anything that would help us is worth a 1st rounder, but I’d be generous with those seconds, and if we finish high and Calgary on the bottom, well, one of those picks would be a nice asset.

That’s me talking now. But the second we lose 3 in a row….

“thoroughbred”

• shiram says:

I know they might not be playing Kaberle, to prevent him from getting injured, but couldn’t Pateryn help out with some brawn on the D line? He’s got the size for it.
      Could maybe save a pick just by having this guy around.

• Loonie says:

Gabriel Dumont might be the solution to the faceoff problem but in terms of this teams’ faceoff ability as a whole only Desharnais struggles individually.

Plekanec, Eller, White and Prust are all excellent individually in the faceoff circle and rarely lose faceoffs cleanly.

Desharnais has the best winger on this team in terms of faceoff help. Pacioretty wins more faceoffs than Desharnais when the draw is tied up and almost never loses a battle for a loose puck on a faceoff.

I have been against the trading of significant prospects and a 1st round draft choice. I like how our team is playing, but really want to see this team be good for more than just 1 season or two. I am concerned that going big on a rental sacrifices future, while at the same time guarantees nothing. Perhaps if I see this team still in first place at trade deadline I will think otherwise.

If indeed the team does take the risk, I at least hope it is a player who helps the team beyond this season. The Alex Tanguay trade for a 1st round pick was a big risk which failed, and seemed to lead to three more years of giving away high draft picks. It has taken this team 2 years to recover.

Thankfully it is MB’s decision, and so far he seems to have made good ones.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

With respect to acquiring top players…I’m for hockey trades…not rental trades. Simple as that.

• jmsheehy19 says:

Not advocating trading away a 1st, but I looked back at that 2008 draft that we gave ours away for Tanguay.

Besides Hamonic, I don’t think anybody taken between “our” 1st round and 2nd round (Kristo) would be helping us besides Carlson or Hamonic. That, in hindsight, wasn’t as bad a trade as I had recently thought.

EDIT: and Voynov.
        2ND EDIT: Wow, and Justin Schultz. Nevermind, definitely wish we had that pick

• 24 Cups says:

Gerald – I know they weren’t deadline deals but I’m still smarting from the Tanguay/Lang trades which cost the team a 1st and two 2nds, one of which was the 32nd pick.

• Loonie says:

Your cautionary view is good. But look at our defensemen Gerald.

Markov, Subban, Gorges, Diaz, Emelin, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Ellis, Pateryn, Dietz, Thrower, Bennett and Nygren.

In the next five years only one of those defensemen will be retiring. That’s 13 and while not all of them will make it six of them already have and Beaulieu and Tinordi are locks. If Nygren can win defenseman of the year in the SEL chances are pretty good he’s serviceable at the NHL level.

In addition. The following forwards are Habs as long as we want them to be. Plekanec, Gionta, Bourque, Pacioretty, Desharnais, Gallagher and Eller.

We also have promising guys in Hamilton in Bournival, Holland, Dumont(I know he’s not in Hamilton) and Leblanc.

Excellent prospects otherwise in Kristo, MacMillan, Collberg, Hudon and Bozon.

This team can definitely move some pieces most notably on defense for help.

• shiram says:

That’s all well and reasonable, but I think what irks me and maybe Burly too, is expanding our cupboard for a rental.
          I’m not sold on the idea of a rental.

• Loonie says:

I suppose I should have clarified and said I wouldn’t move anything good for a rental other than maybe a second rounder or lower.

But if I’m Bergevin and I can add an impact player by moving some pieces I wouldn’t hang up the phone.

• shiram says:

Agreed on that Loonie.

• krob1000 says:

That is without including Weber, Kaberle ….
          and up front you left out Galchenyuk and Leblanc is nowhere on that list …..there are other marginal prospects up front like Bournival, Holland, Vail, etc as well.
          With one quick tanking and a great draft history the Habs have built a deep team moving forward.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Our number one need to win the big prize is a keeper who can focus for 60 minutes a game every other night.

• twilighthours says:

I think this is the doc trolling… Or being funny.

No seems he really dislikes Price.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I like Price a lot but he has a fatal flaw. Everybody has one (mine is an inability to suffer fools gladly) but his happens to be giving up momentum-changers.

• Loonie says:

For every one momentum changer that he gives up would you care to share with us how many he stops?

It’s probably somewhere around 10:1

Which of course would fit right in with the elite goalies in the league.

• twilighthours says:

At least one flaw, doc. At least one.

• christophor says:

‘giving up momentum-changers’ is not an attribute that anyone has. it’s something that happens to players and teams. that aside, it doesn’t actually happen to the habs and price.

you’ve got an irrational dislike of a player and you need to deal with that – a predisposition that ‘s hard to overcome and that leads one to invent pseudo-rational claims. you made another such claim up a couple of years ago: he just doesn’t have that fight. i won’t go into the details again of why that’s another bit of nonsense.

• The Jackal says:

Good thing we already got that need covered.
        Next?

31. Sportfan says:

SO if we had to face Philly, New York Ottawa or for the Heck of it Winnipeg in the first round who would you want to face? I say Ottawa just because it would be such an interesting series and it would be funny if habs fans took over both buildings

32. Dr.Rex says:

I have read some interest on the site about Pominville and Regehr.

WHat about Steve OTT? I think he would fit in nicely on this team.

Not UFA…

• Steve C. says:

DDO, I don’t understand why you say this. I know that you’re against the rentals, but even MB has said that he doesn’t want rentals, he would want to make hockey trades. So what’s with the “Not UFA” sarcasm?

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Sorry for the late reply (stepped out). I was not being sarcastic. Steve Ott has one year left on his deal so I do not think he is available. I, also, do not think the Sabres will want to trade one of their few physical players, especially to the Habs. If he was a UFA and did not want to resign, then by all means go after him. I wish we had him but the probability is nil to me. Sorry for not clarifying my view more (lazy).

• Seps says:

Regehr I saw live this year, he’s old and isn’t a nasty D like he used to be. He’s too slow and I don’t think he registered a hit. And that game… was against the Leafs.

33. Loonie says:

Bill getting jumped all over for suggesting the purchase of a rental wouldn’t compromise the future.

Kudos to you Bill for seeing that this team isn’t yet a finished product or one that is likely to compete for the Cup with the roster it has today.

• Dr.Rex says:

Even the 1977 Canadiens looked to improve their team.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

“getting jumped all over”…people are just giving their opinions…

Read again bud.

If I call you an a’hole it’s an opinion but I’m still jumping all over you.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Who called him an a’hole? I’m sorry I guess I’m missing something…

• Loonie says:

Just the point. Nobody even gives consideration to his point of view other than to say “don’t mortgage the future”(paraphrasing).

But his entire point was that trading some of what we have wouldn’t be mortgaging the future.

In addition most disregarded the value of rentals to a team capable of winning but needing improvement.

34. frontenac1 says:

@DDO. If been a Chargers fan since days of Air Coryell,Dan Fouts,Kellan Winslow etc. Chargers and Frontenacs give me the pain,Habs give me the pleasure. There’s a Grace Jones song in there somewhere.Saludos Amigo!

35. Dr.Rex says:

After 26 games we have played every team in the east and have equal number of home and road games under our belt. Is it time for the critics to stop saying we benefited from an easy schedule?

36. Seps says:

As for the comments lower about Kaberle he had no goals and 11 assists in the playoffs that consisted of 25 games. That is solid numbers for a normal D but to bring a D in to run your PP (that was worst for a winner in playoff history) and be totally offensive and he can’t even reach .5 PPG, let alone 1 goal… He didn’t do much for them and I believe with or without him they would’ve won.

If you ask a Bruins fan about Kaberle they will let you know he was useless. My good friend who’s a die-hard Bruins fan claimed he stole a Stanley Cup ring that year.

• Dr.Rex says:

He was poor on the PP which is why they acquired him and he was solely responsible for a number of goals against. His playing time diminished as the playoffs continued and both Montreal and Tampa both seemed to score each time he was on the ice. I would say he was a weak link on that team.

• Cal says:

He wasn’t brought in to “run the PP.” He was a little extra offense for a team that needed it. Let’s subtract 11 goals from the Bruins Cup winning run. In fact, let’s just take away two goals they scored against Montreal. The Bruins would have lost game 7. Isn’t revisionist history great?

• Seps says:

He was, they had a brutal PP going into the playoffs and an even worse PP with him. And that’s really not how it works since someone else could’ve got the majority of assists he did. It’s not like he did the majority of the work on the goals. Also if you wanted to truly play that game you could go with lets subtract the goals Kaberle scored… wait they’d end up with the same amount.

• 24 Cups says:

I’m going to forget all the stats and go with my memories from that playoff season. Boston was desperate for an offensive Dman. Kaberle would only go to a few locations in terms of a trade. With all of that, Boston still overpaid.

Kaberle did very little for the final segment of the season. He then did even less during the first two rounds of the playoffs. To be fair, he did improve during the final two rounds.

I always thought the Bruins could have done much better if they had gone after Eric Brewer from St Louis. He went to Tampa for a 3rd rounder. Boston could have easily upped that to a 2nd. They would have still won the Cup and saved themselves a 1st rounder as well as Colborne.

37. Roy_s_WINK says:

I am so thankful none of the pseudo-“GM’s” on here have any actual decision making ability.

Reading some of your suggestions truly makes me believe that some of you have strong self-destructive tendencies that play out in the form of unfathomable scenarios.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

We’re just having fun here…geez…relax.

38. WindsorHab-10 says:

Best part of that video, Marchand getting wallpapered by Subban. Had to replay it few times. Sweet.

In case some of you missed those classic quotes from Gomez, here is a report from San Jose, with an extended interview with Gomer.

Timo, I’m thinking mainly of you! :)

40. Luke says:

Look, I don’t want to ruin anyone’s day and I sure don’t intend to be depressing… but it seems that one of Don Cherry’s goldfish may be shuffling off the mortal coil.

Gonna be a real tear jerker of a coach’s corner this week.

41. Bill says:

People. One little first rounder and one good prospect is not too much to give for a really good rental player.

The Habs have two excellent D prospects in Beaulieu and Tinordi, plus another in Dietz who is looking like a gem. And they already have a great young D in Subban to go with Pateryn who looks like he’ll be a capable NHL d-man. At forward we have two supremely talented rookies in Galchenyuk and Gallagher, to go with Eller, and just graduated Dumont. Colbert and Kristo are good prospects in the pipe.

The Habs also have six of the top 90 picks!

Give up a first rounder (we have Calgary’s high second rounder anyway), and one good prospect from AHL or junior. This would not be “mortgaging the future”.

A for effort, D for achievement. I am still in the “No Bill” camp.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Even if I agreed with Bill on this one (I don’t), I am banned from Team Bill ever since my favoring of the Cole trade. :)

Bill makes a good case, I just am leery of going down that road again of giving up picks for short term gain. I like the long term look of this team.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

For what Bill? The team currently has 10 “top 9″ forwards and 8 NHL D… unless it a player is moved there is no hole to fill… Bourque is the pickup i’m hoping for.. Maybe a rugged D for the PK.. maybe a 4rth line C to play PK… but players have to moved out to move more in…

• Cal says:

Sorry, Bill. No point making a move for little or no gain. Let the Habs keep all those 6 picks. Keeping the pipeline full is the key to long term success. This season has been one long bonus since the puck dropped on the Habs second game. The crazy train has our Habs in first. Let’s enjoy the ride.

• JUST ME says:

Just can`t believe you are sticking to this plan ! We have nothing in Hamilton. Tinordi, Beaulieu ,Leblanc and who else worth naming ? If you give away your prospects or draft picks with what are you going to build in the future ?
      We are lucky to have the season we have. Blessed ! But in the minors it`s back to the drawing board. Go to prison pass go do not collect $200.

Now is not the time to throw everything away just for a what if. We have as many chances with what we have now and should go for it with our roster.

• Phil C says:

Who do you have in mind as a rental for that price?

42. Chris says:

I will admit that I understand the Cataclowesm much more than the Konopkalypse (Clowe can actually play hockey), but people really do get some hard crushes on this website. :)

43. Sportfan says:

Sure change the page well for those who haven’t seen it click the link below for the Ovie blog!

44. krob1000 says:

They should have a clause in the standings for that divisonal leader…the leader should not get that 3rd seed if they are x points away from the next place team or if x amount of teams are ahead of them. I guess it is irrelevant moving forward with realignment but man seeing Carolina in 3rd bothers me.

• Loonie says:

I believe the rule had good intentions. If you have a division with a bunch of excellent teams it stands to reason that in a normal season with 24 divisional games that they’d beat the crap out of each other and have lower point totals as a result.

Just so happens it’s had the reverse effect and crappy teams from crappy division get a great seed due to them being okay in their division and brutal outside of it.

• krob1000 says:

should be some type of clause for these situations…..
        I wish they would just go by conference and spread games evenly throughout the conference….same with baseball.

Further to past Trade Deadline Moves, I think one of the most succesful of all time was the Flames picking up John Tonelli. He was a horse for Calgary as they won their only Cup. (Forgetting of course who they beat in the final. ;-) )

My apologies in advance in Habsfan0 (Curly), but Buddy Nix has been proven to be the most incompetent GM in the NFL. His latest faux pas is almost like the VIkings when they drafted a dead guy.

If your an NFL fan I encourage reading and listening, this is hilarious.

• Loonie says:

No love for A.J. Smith, Jeff Ireland, Rick Spielman or Rod Graves?

Did they phone back 20 year old kids hoping to make NFL trades with them?

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Imagine if they pretended to be Tampa’s GM and…let’s say…they traded QBs? Imagine the Buffalo press conference…LOL!

• Loonie says:

I can’t confirm that but Ireland asked Dez Bryant if his mother was a prostitute during pre-draft interviews.

Rod Graves has routinely let his players walk via free agency without getting anything in return and brought in bad replacements in most cases.

Ditto for A.J. Smith who not only was a near replica of Graves but got into media wars with those playres.

Rick Spielman has assembled the worst collection of talent in the NFC and miraculously they’ve made the playoffs a couple of times largely due to two players.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Chargers fan here…still dancing over Smith and Norf’s firings…

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Oh my God that is hysterical…what an idiot…haha!

• Steve C. says:

A dead guy?

• habsfan0 says:

Please tell me something that I don’t ALREADY know.

Having said that, I will miss Buddy Nix when he leaves the Bills organization.
      His heavy southern accent,Beverly Hillbillies Jed Clampett,aw shucks way of speaking is actually quite endearing.

47. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Just curious: what would your ideal Cup final would be? I have two:
    1) Habs vs. Chicago…I know…I’m biased…
    2) LA vs Bos…would be an all out war…love to see Boston get pounded by the one team that could do it…Chara would probably snap with Brown running around.

48. Loonie says:

The Sharks gave up a King’s ransom to get Brent Burns and he’ll be playing on the wing tonight.

Ouch.

49. frontenac1 says:

You want to talk dreams? I had a bunch of viscious midgets with knves chasing me through a mall. It was frightening.Still scares me.

I hope Matt Cooke goes dirty on the Bruins tonight.

51. Habhopeful says:

So yesterday, I was walking down the road on an empty uphill Montreal road, I see a young African American man sitting down against a stop sign, looking somewhat dejected, head down, knees up.

I walk closer and realize Its PK who im nearing.

I approach and say hi and tell him how great he is and how awesome it is to finally meet him, he appreciates the kind words and thanks me.

I ask him if everything is ok, seeing as he looks a little down, and says he cant take it anymore in Montreal anymore.

He says there’s too much vitriol against him and he’s unhappy with all the negativity that surrounds him.

I tell him to stop reading the papers and keep doing what he is doing because soon enough, if he progresses the way he has been, he will hoist the cup and many individual awards, I tell him the basics; What Montreal is, how it is, how the fans are and how the majority of them are all behind him and he shouldnt let any of the negativity get to him.

He thanks me again, still looking dejected, I ask him what the last straw was….

He informs me he went to a restaurant, ordered Chicken Fingers and they made him pay for them and he was really upset that they made him pay for it and did not give it to him for free, I consoled him and told him he could not feel entitled to everything and that Chicken Fingers should not make or break you…

Then I woke up, and kept repeating, “WTF, WTF was that about??!!” lol

Needless to say, perhaps the Habs are taking too much of my time… Or maybe I shouldnt have eaten the Spicy pork before bed…

Weird or WHAT??

Had to get that off my chest lol

52. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

MB dealt Cole when his value was high. Could MB possibly deal Bourque? If Anaheim gives up on Perry maybe they would want a power forward in the deal with a contract? Just speculating…

• krob1000 says:

Anaheim is a legit cup contender …why would they trade their best goal scorer? If anything they will be buyers.

• habsfan0 says:

Isn’t Perry an UFA at season’s end?
        If they don’t trade him,they could get nothing in return.

• krob1000 says:

So they pass up the best chance they have had at a cup in years?
          I cannot recall a case where a top playoff team has dealt one of their top players regardless of them being a UFA….it just doesn’t make sense.
          If they didn’t have Perry and were where they are what would they give up to get him? answer….about the same as they would get for him? So why would you trade him in the position they are in?
          They also have more cap room than most think and options …..and have laid the groundwork with Getzlaf.

Only way Perry gets traded is if he flat out tells the he won’t re sign AND there is an incredible offer involving no significant short term loss AND a long term gain.

• ont fan says:

We had posters here who said we didn’t deal Koivu,Souray when we were in a playoff race.

• Habfan17 says:

I agree, unless someone offered a deal too good to refuse. If they really feel they will lose him after the season, they could trade his rights to a team.

Habfan17

• Say Ash says:

They might get a cup in the meantime, though.

• Cal says:

Perry is Anaheim’s next extension signing. They let Selanne and Koivu go and they have the dollars and cap space to do it. Yes, I’d like to have Perry, but this team we have here ain’t all that bad is it?

• NL Hab says:

Anaheim is in a really tough spot there. I agree with both of you guys. He is not going to sign with Anaheim. He wants to be out East. So the logical thing is to trade him at the deadline. However, they are in a really good position to win it all this year. If they trade him for picks and prospects, it could be another 5 or 6 years before they are in this position again. Tough decision for Murray to make. I can’t see any other contender trading away a load of picks and prospects just to get this guy for a playoff run. My gut tells me they will not be blown away by an offer and he stays with Anaheim, and they are eliminated in the 2nd round. Then he walks on July 1st.

Et Le But

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

If ownership knows that they can’t sign him, they will at least listen to offers. There is no guarantee they will win the Cup with him. Anyway, it seems the Kings are getting better and better. They will be tough to beat if Quick plays well again.

53. jon514 says:

To those arguing we trade a center for a rental. Our 3 scoring centers are the reason we are producing more offense this year. Going into the playoffs with 2 stronger scoring lines in place of 3 weaker scoring lines is a HUGE gamble, especially when you factor in injuries. I say keep em all for as long as you can.

• Timo says:

I am convinced that our first 3 lines aren’t a problem (yet). 4th line is not capable of either producing or playing physical. That’s where I would look for an upgrade.

As usual, on regular 6 tough mean dman wouldn’t hurt either.

• chanchilla says:

Aside from white, i think you’re right, dumont has capabilities, but moen and armstrong have been god damn awful this year. We need at least some guys that can provide energy, all our fourth line does this year is plug minutes. And a big shut down defencemen would be great, can’t wait til tinnordi is ready to make the jump, this is where we should use a rental.

• Cal says:

The 4th line is doing exactly what it should. Eat up minutes and not give up goals. The 4th line spends more time in the other team’s zone than it does defending, so what is the problem?

• Loonie says:

I’m sure this won’t be popular but until we add a defenseman that can bump Gorges to a third pairing role this team is going nowhere fast.

The goals don’t come as easy in the playoffs as they do in the regular season and this team’s lack of physicality on defense has prompted teams to effectively get into Price’s kitchen and create dirty goals.

Our defense pairings need to look like……

Markov – Emelin
      Nasty Bastard who can move the puck – Subban
      Gorges – Diaz

Adding a defenseman other than Emelin who can deal with a Ryan Malone type of player makes this team a tough out in the playoffs.

As things stand today, dirty goals will be this teams’ undoing.

• Timo says:

Can they actually stitch Nasty Bastard on the back of the jersey?

• habsfan0 says:

And just who would this “Nasty Bastard” be?

I believe Chara is unavailable.

• bel33 says:

His name would be “Dirty Bastard”… Nasty might still be available.

• jmsheehy19 says:

If we sign the ghost of ODB, we could probably sign the rest of the Wutang for a discount.

• NL Hab says:

Regher is a Nasty Bastard. Could be an affordable rental. He is not the same player he once was, but he is only 32 and a very rough, mean player. UFA in July, so if things don’t work out, he will be gone in a few months. Not sure what his current value is. I imagine a 3rd rounder could probably land him.

Et Le But

• christophor says:

To be fair, Subban and Gorges are a fine pairing. Of course an improvement is possible but it’s hardly high on the priority list. I’m sure you’ve heard enough by now that you undervalue Gorges… though I agree that he’s overvalued in general.

And as per below, Jack Johnson is perhaps the most overrated player in sports.

• Loonie says:

I’ll be completely fair as well. Johnson’s numbers don’t back up anything I could possibly tout about him. When I watch that guy play I see the total package and admittedly have nothing in any of his numbers to support that opinion. My analysis is a near one in a million where I make my judgement only based on my eye test and again admittedly have nothing to support my opinion other than my personal evaluation.

Edit: I realize people feel I undervalue Gorges. My argument with him is simply that his style of play doesn’t really fit the style of this team anymore and that we need better puck movement and somebody more physically imposing in the role he’s currently playing.

• christophor says:

Fair enough, and I don’t doubt that your eye-evaluation is generally reliable. But once in a while, there’s a player that looks really good to the eye – even the experienced eye – and yet, when you dig down, you realize he’s just awful. Eye doesn’t catch everything.

• Loonie says:

Like everyone else that won’t stop me from singing his praises.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I think the best guy available is Smid. He’s not going to intimidate a Lucic or Hartnell but he can handle 90% of the forwards on opposing teams. He’s a former 1st rounder (I think?), gets his nose dirty and will drop the gloves when he has to. I’ve seen many late games where he’s getting a lot of camera time for driving the other team nuts in his end.

• The Jackal says:

God you hate Gorges so much.
        Just kidding, that was tongue in cheek.

I agree with you on our need for the nasty bastard. If he is a real bastard that is a plus.
        I’m just wondering who is that guy? And what would we have to give up for him?

Also… Shouldn’t PK and McNasty be our top pairing?

• Cal says:

The big difference this season is that the Habs are scoring dirty goals, too, so that is a wash.
        We all want the team to be better, but right now it’s pretty damned good. The playoffs will tell more, but for now all is CHeerful in Habsland.

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

I don’t think it going to be that unpopular but I don’t think it is that correct either. All the Chara’s in the world mean little if your game is to spend all the time in your own zone.

People give too much credit to the few scrambles (think Ott pitchforking Budaj) and wacky bounces and see a need that is not there.

Maybe a Matt Greene/Wiz hybrid would be ideal but the perfect combination would cost way too much.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• Roy_s_WINK says:

That is no way to speak about our next Captain: Gorges

Quit looking for answers outside the camp.

• Mick says:

Trade “Little David”.
      Please end the illusion he will step up in the playoffs.
      Pardon the pun.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Our defensemen is the reason the Habs are producing more offense this year.

54. Dr.Rex says:

Here is how my wish list for the deadline orders:
    1) David Clarkson
    2) Chris Stewart
    3) Stephanie Robidas
    4) Curtis Glencross
    5) Ryan Clowe – NO way I give up a first though.

• Loonie says:

Glencross would be a great addition.

• Timo says:

Glencross? Yawn… What a garbage post.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

No way Robidas gets dealt. Good defenceman with one year left.

Stewart is interesting but not sure what his RFA demands will be.

• NL Hab says:

As much as I would like Clowe to be a Hab, it just seems there is way too much interest in him which is driving his asking price to a 1st rounder and a prospect I have heard. Chris Stewart or David Clarkson would be great additions and could be had for much cheaper. However, where do they go? Who gets bumped? I’m including Bourque and Diaz in the lines because they should both be back before the deadline.

Ryder/Pleks/Gio
      Gally/DD/Patches
      Chucky/Eller/Bourque
      Prust/White/Moen
      Extra Fwds = Armstrong/Dumont
      Defence
      Markov/Emelin
      Subban/Gorges
      Boulion/Diaz
      Extra = Kaberle/Pateryn/Weber

I am all for making deadline trades as much as the next guy, however, this team is pretty solid. Reading all of the comments around the league, people cannot understand how this team is currently 1st in the East. I haven’t missed a minute all year, and I can verify that this team is for real. All of these players are quality players and they are all playing this system to perfection. I would like us to add a Big Shutdown Defencemen. However, looking at these lines,I am currently happy with our Forwards.

Et Le But

• Habfan17 says:

Clowe’s numnbers were down last season and are way down again this season. Not sure he is worth the coin he will want! If the Habs would sign a UFA that will want $5 million plus, they should go for Perry. I think the better options would be if Smid and Stalberg make it to UFA, take them, Size, with skill and speed. Great for an aggressive speed game while adding some size.

Habfan17

Btw, just so that all of you don’t get your hopes up too high. Tomorrow Habs are going to dial in a stinker. It’s a proven recipe – successful road trip means a crap first game back home.

56. Loonie says:

Not that I agree with this way of thinking but it’s quite possible that Bergevin’s rentals for the big club will be Tinordi or Beaulieu and possibly Kristo.

• krob1000 says:

I expect Kristo to be there before the end of the season…..likely sent to hammer with a promise to be called up once rosters expand as incentive to sign.

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Pretty logical assumption and not one that has been really discussed before. The Bulldogs are not making the playoffs and with the late NHL season, there is a lot of time to work them in.

Not sure if there is still a callup limit – 4? but it might mean only one of Tinordi/Beaulieu perhaps?

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

I hate nothing more than watching Habs game on Saturday night that is New Jersey. Dead quiet crowd, crappy camera angles… New effing Jersey… Argh. Me grumpy.

58. krob1000 says:

? rentals don’t work?
    let’s do some simple math…16 teams make the playoffs…another 4 or 5 make acquisitions hoping to make the playoffs. Let’s assume 20 teams are in the running for rentals…..let’s than assume half of them make a move and acquire one.
    ONE TEAM WINS THE STANLEY CUP…..so at best 1 in 10 rentals or thereabouts will “work”….however that doesn’t deter the other 9 teams or so from doing it year after year because you have to ice the strongest team possible. If an upgrade is available and the cost is anywhere near reasonable you must make that acquistiion.

Rentals are just the way of the new NHL….we finally got some asssets for our rentals last year and now they can be flipped if an opportunity presents itself or kept….either way I would not be heartbroken to see a deal made…in fact I support any upgrade as I would think most would.

59. Cal says:

Bourque skating is good news. Better news will be how he recovers from the skate. Fingers crossed.

60. FANHABULOUS says:

You gotta love the depth of this team. I keep thinking back to something the wily Ian Cobb mentioned during the lockout, before the season started: that teams have to spread the salary around to be successful, and that paying a large slice to one or two big-name players is not necessarily the right formula. Looking at how our team is built now, it looks like the right approach IMO.

Here are the lines we have going (according to todays practice):

Ryder-Plekanec-Gionta
    Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
    Galchenyuk-Eller-Dumont
    Moen-White-Armstrong

Now, when Bourque comes back he slots into Dumont’s spot, which makes the third line even more solid and dangerous. And Prust slides onto the 4th line for either one of those guys (probably White), allowing that line to play even more minutes. And the result is a solid line-up with scoring and tenacity on each line. Me likey!

61. Habfan10912 says:

Ive been out a bit today and am catching up. I see Bourque skated today but did not see anything on Diaz. Anybody hear anything?

62. Mick says:

So it looks like we are playoff bound. If that happens we still need to get rid of ” Little David “. Yes David puts up points but I believe he is the only minus player on a plus 18 team?? Come playoff time he will be the “weak link” in a much more physical game. I like David but….
    Just Sayin’

• HabFanSince72 says:

He was a big minus player early on partly due to Cole and Pacioretty starting slow. He is now -2 and therefore a plus player since his line started clicking again.

• christophor says:

If I recall correctly, you didn’t like it when people attributed Desharnais’ success last year to his wingers. Kinda funny that, for you, Desharnais’, Pacioretty’s, and Cole’s success last year was due to Desharnais, but Desharnais’ poor play this year was due to his wingers.

Edit: And Pacioretty was a point-per-game-player before he scored. Not scoring, but getting an assist per game, mostly while on the powerplay with Plekanec and Markov. He wasn’t getting as many points with Desharnais. Not saying Desharnais sucks, but definitely saying his poor play was due mostly to himself.

• Loonie says:

So he’ll be a weekly link to what?

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Wait till after the playoffs to judge DD. If he disappears against bigger teams, he’s gone…

• Luke says:

While I think your reasoning is wrong. DD represents an issue in the next year or so.

If you see Galchenyuk & Eller as centres. And you have Plekanec and DD… someone’s gotta go…

• Steve C. says:

I’ve noticed that he draws a lot of cross-checking and boarding penalties haha. This dude goes into the corners with freakin’ Zdeno Chara. He may be small, but he’s scared of no one. Made to be a Hab. Keep him.

• munch17 says:

I am surprised how much power play time and how unproductive he is ( 1-3 = 4 points in 78 minutes).
      Pleks 4-5 -13 in 75 min
      Eller 1-2 = 3 in 18 min

63. Loonie says:

I don’t fancy myself as someone who overreacts to small sample sizes but Gabriel Dumont’s inclusion to the roster makes this team very interesting.

He’s shown excellent defensive play and good offensive instincts and ability. His strength is more than adequate. He could well be the ideal third line centreman for the future.

Just another piece that adds depth and creates flexibility for Bergevin.

Bourque and Diaz make this team even better upon their return.

If I were Bergevin I wouldn’t be opposed to creating a package that would land an excellent two way defenseman with a physical presence.

Maybe a Jack Johnson, Marc Edouard Vlasic or Dimitry Kulikov.

• Habfan10912 says:

I loved the way he came to the aid of Galchenyuk Sunday when Galchenyuk was getting roughed up a bit. Fiesty little bugger it seems.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

If he wins face-offs, I think he will stick with the team and take over the fourth line center spot. Best comparison I can think of is a feistier Carbonneau..pure energy. Skates better than White too…

64. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I’m going to repeat a question I posted earlier this week: How many rental acquisitions have really made a difference to a Stanley Cup contender in the past? The only good example I received was Guerin to the Penguins in 2009. Maybe they can help a team makes the playoffs but I don’t see any examples where they really helped a contender…

• HabFanSince72 says:

The Bruins benefited from adding Peverley, Kelly and Kaberle (yes Kaberle).

Marian Hossa has 26 points in 20 games for the Pens although they didn’t win that year (went to game 7).

• Seps says:

Kaberle was of no benefit to them. If anything he made their PP worse which is why he was brought in in the first place. He was a liability 5 on 5 as well.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Good point about Peverley and Kelly but were they acquired at the deadline? I think Kelly but not sure of Peverley…

Hossa is another good example. This would be the Perry equivalent. Would it guarantee the Habs a Stanley Cup appearance? Not sure but would the Pens or Bruins.

• Steve C. says:

If you look at my response below, isolating the deadline as the time to get a rental player is too small of a variable to be able to consider rental players as a whole. Rentals are rentals, whether rented in January or Smarch.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Good post. For me “rental” means deadline deals as they will be only with the team for one month at least. One good thing about PG/BG was that they made these moves earlier. Actually twice halfway through the year that I can remember…Dominic Moore and the Wiz. These were good moves and they contributed greatly to the team during the year. I just can’t consider them rentals. Anyway, I just don’t believe in giving up good draft picks and/or prospect to get players for 1-2 months.

• Steve C. says:

That’s very fair. I also think it’s better to act fast and get those players earlier. I loved having Wisniewski. Too bad he wouldn’t sign a discount. I bet he’s liking his money, but I also bet he’s realized that he can’t be a #1.

About the rentals again, what about all those guys that end up staying? Even Guerin stayed! It’s like I said, I think MB wants to trade for guys that will stay, not a one and done.

• dano58 says:

They were depth players so we should look to do no more than that. The 1986 team if I am not mistaken had a ton of rookies and did not make any trades at all and they won it all. Dance withe ones who got you here and be happy. We are far better than anyone dreamed this season so cut the trade talk and enjoy the ride. Why are so many on this blog “DEBBIE DOWNERS”? GO HABS GO!
        This is our team and I for one am enjoying every minute of the season especially when we beat da bruins.

GO HABS GO!!!

“Opinions are like assholes and everybody has one.” – “?”
        Hopefully the Habs brass only takes the best ones!

• Steve C. says:

Fans are “Debbie Downers” because they, we, have endured about 20 years of downerism and it’s very hard to trust whether or not this team has actually turned around…it’s our way of guarding our hearts, protecting ourselves from pain…from the evil, torturous torment of Montreal Canadiens hockey losses…I just got overtaken by philosophy.

• dano58 says:

I too have endured the pain especially seeing da bruins win the cup(worst feeling ever). I have been a Habs fan since 1968 so I have seen a lot.

GO HABS GO!!!

“Opinions are like assholes and everybody has one.” – “?”
            Hopefully the Habs brass only takes the best ones!

• Les-Habitants says:

Does no one remember Recchi??

• LizardKing12 says:

Contenders shouldn’t be looking to add big pieces to their lineup. If they think they need an iginla to compete then I’d argue they weren’t contenders to begin with. Smart depth moves at the deadline, not big name rentals, are what help a team win the cup. For example the bruins adding Kelly and Peverley were not earth shattering deals but they ended up combining with Ryder to be one of the most effective lines in the playoffs. It is important to address depth needs but not overhaul your roster. Bringing in a 4th line center who is great at face offs and a #6/7 d will be subtle but go a long way IMO

• Seps says:

Good question, I can’t think of any myself. In most cases (like Kaberle) they would’ve won anyways.

• Les-Habitants says:

Recchi was a huge plus to Carolina, Pittsburg, and Boston

• Strummer says:

Butch Goring ’80 Islanders

Ray Bourque with the Av’s though they didn’t win the Cup til the following year 2001

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Les-Habitants says:

They did win the cup that year and then Bourque retired. Comeon dude, you’re better than that.

• Strummer says:

Bourque was traded to the Av’s on Mar. 6, 2000.
          Av’s lost to the Stars in Conference final that season.
          Av’s won the Cup in 2001 and Bourque retired.

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Les-Habitants says:

Yup, I’m an idiot. I guess I’m not better than that.

• Strummer says:

;-)

______________________________________________________
            “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Viruk42 says:

No, Strummer is correct. Bourque was traded before the deadline in 2000, won the cup the following season (2000-01).

Oops, too late on the correction.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Butch Goring…one of the most unique looking players in NHL history…looked like he was homeless with the beard and that helmet.

• Steve C. says:

Cory Stillman was traded before the season and spent the entire year in Tampa in 03-04, then went to Carolina after the lockout and won again, crazy.
      Mark Recchi and Doug Weight in 2006 for Carolina.
      Brad Stuart in 2008 for Detroit…although he did continue playing there for a couple years…and Marian Hossa almost got Pittsburgh the Cup…but we know what happened to him.
      Guerin, but also Philippe Boucher in 2009.
      Boston made a few deals late in their season but those guys became mainstays (Rich Peverley and Chris Kelly), then there was one *cough* Tomas Kaberle. Along with Gregory Campbell and Nathan Horton, they had five new players that year acquired via trade, plus rookie Tyler Seguin, to help them win the Cup. They did their homework.

I think the whole “rental player” may be misunderstood. Sure, that one little variable doesn’t always work, but other things to consider is that 16+ teams are trying to improve before the season ends, trying to make the playoffs, etc… Another thing to consider is that champion teams have made late trades – or early-season trades – that have led to championships, but these players have stayed longer. Best example is the Boston one that I gave. And earlier Brad Stuart. Last year was Jeff Carter whose contract didn’t expire. Simon Gagné played one season in Los Angeles. It’s not just about rental players, and as the media has said time and time again, Marc Bergevin is apparently looking for players to last beyond this season. Even with a guy like Bill Guerin, he ended up returning to Pittsburgh the following year.

Theoretically, I guess your questioning the idea of rental players is correct, but there’s more to it than that, and only one team can win the Cup.

• Viruk42 says:

Stillman was traded at the 2003 draft, and played 81 games for Tampa in 03-04, so he wasn’t a rental. After the lockout he signed with Carolina as a UFA, so again, not a rental.

• Steve C. says:

Did you even read my entire post? I made it about more than rentals. I said that the idea of a “rental” is too small of a variable to isolate when thinking of pieces to add the season before and that many “rentals” have ended up staying i.e. Jeff Carter, the Bruins, etc…

If you would have read between the lines and understood what I was trying to say, you would have realized that I didn’t really even consider Stillman a rental.

65. bwoar says:

Very glad Bourque is skating. Maybe see him back in a couple weeks?

“thoroughbred”

66. Habfan10912 says:

Funny. Did you make it to the game Sunday? Would have been a nice calm one to see.

67. Steve C. says:

Pulling a Malakhov? Skiing whilst injured?

Whatever happened to the big lug.

69. ndmartinxyz says:

Not so big that anyone had to steal a purse this year.

70. Mr. Biter says:

That is funny.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

71. LeGrosBill says:

It was not, I am Le Gros Bill.