“We don’t feel the pressure. We apply the pressure,” Therrien says

There was no change to the lines as the Canadiens practised Wednesday morning in Brossard as preparations continued for the first-round playoff opener Thursday night at the Bell Centre against the Ottawa Senators (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

The lines again were: Ryder-Plekanec-Gionta; Pacioretty-Desharnais-Bourque; Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher; Moen-White-Prust.

Defenceman Yannick Weber joined Jeff  Halpern and Colby Armstrong to form a fifth line.

Defence pairings were: Markov-Subban; Gorges-Diaz; Bouillon-Tinordi; Kaberle-Drewiske.

The Canadiens took to the ice about 30 minutes before the 11 a.m. scheduled start to work on the power play and penalty-killing.

“We don’t feel the pressure,” coach Michel Therrien told reporters after practice. “We apply the pressure.”

When asked about Ryan White, who practised on the fourth line, Therrien said: “I really liked the way he played the last game. He played with emotion. He’s a hard guy to play against. I think he learned from the past. He’s a lot more disciplined than he was. He was good on faceoffs. We all know that playoffs the intensity is always there. So he’s an intense player.”

Therrien said he spoke to the five Canadiens players who don’t have any NHL playoff experience: Max Pacioretty, Jarred Tinordi, Brendan Gallagher, Alex Galchenyuk and Raphael Diaz.

“I spoke to them,” the coach said. “I think it’s important to get their feeling.  For me there’s no pressure about those guys coming into the playoffs. Like I told them, don’t feel the pressure. Put the pressure, establish the pressure on the other team. That’s the way we have to deal with the pressure … our young kids did a great job through the course of the season. One thing I like about our young kids, they got better and better and better. So that’s a good sign. Sometimes you’re going to see young kids, they got a great start and (things) could be more demanding at the end of the year. And those kids progressed.

“Even a guy like Pacioretty, who is a veteran, he hasn’t played in the playoffs, so I took the time to sit down with him and I wanted to know how he was feeling. And he’s feeling pretty good, so it’s a good sign.

“We also have good young veterans … who have experienced really important games and knew how to react well.”

Listen to what Michael Ryder had to say after practice by clicking here.

Listen to what Travis Moen had to say by clicking here.

Listen to what Raphael Diaz had to say by clicking here.

Listen to what Jarred Tinordi had to say by clicking here.

(Photo by Ryan Remiorz/The Canadian Press)

It’s going to be an exciting series: Plekanec, by Brenda Branswell

Sens look to goalie Anderson against Habs, montrealgazette.com

New-look Senators targeting Habs, by Ottawa Citizen

Karlsson and Subban take centre stage, by Ottawa Citizen

Friendly rivalry on verge of becoming nastier, by Ottawa Citizen

The Leafs are Canada’s team? Oh, really? by L. Ian MacDonald

TSN has some fun with The Hangover – L.A. Kings Edition, by Stu Cowan

Bulldogs put a positive spin on disappointing AHL season, by Stu Cowan

1. HabFanSince72 says:

How about those Bavarian footballers?

7-0 on aggregate!

2. GenerationYHabs says:

I’m sure everyone’s seen this already but 2:05 still gives me actual chills every damn time :)

3. Luke says:

Beer me!

Enjoy the games folks!

4. habs-fan-84 says:

“We don’t feel the pressure. We apply the pressure,”

What a great line for a signature….

• Captain aHab says:

Don’t know if it’s the first time this line is used but if it is, kudos to MT. It’s absolutely great.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

5. SmartDog says:

People are excited that White is back in?
    Man, I’m NERVOUS.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

6. habsfan0 says:

Visiting a sports psychologist seems to have had a very positive effect on Lars Eller.
    I wonder if Carey Price paid a visit to the same psychologist in order to straighten out his game, as well.

If not, then perhaps Carey can visit a hypnotist who will essentially tell him: “You will be a brick wall in the upcoming playoffs. NOTHING will get by you. If a puck does go into your net, you will forget it immediately..it DID NOT happen. You ARE unbeatable. NOTHING can stop you from succeeding.”

Couldn’t hurt.

7. Storman says:

As TSN hangover says Luongo has not been traded, ,,,,, and he is starting tonight, LOL what a turn of events for him this year..
    PS that TSN skit take on the Hangover was actually bordering on some serious entertainment value, great stuff by the guys, credit where credit is due.. Actually feel like watching the movie again..

8. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Man, if you were Bozak and the Leafs, would you really let everyone in the world know that you had a shoulder injury before playing the Bruins?

• habs-fan-84 says:

I think it’s been well known that it’s his shoulder giving him problems. Regardless, the Bruins were going to play him hard anyway if they knew he had an “upper body injury”.

9. ProHabs says:

Gotta say I am really liking Therrien. He knows what to do and say to give this team confidence.

10. Storman says:

Speaking of Fleury, Theoren that is,, anyone see his documentary Playing with Fire, pretty good watch, man did he go through some serious money with his addictions..unreal the chances he took and is still alive and kicking..They would not even let him into Madison Square Garden or the United Center to do any interviews or scenes for the documentary,,kind of real sad IMO on Rangers and Hawks part should be water under the bridge by now..At least Calgary Flames where he made a ton of enemies as well was accommodating to the documentary and its overall message..

One bender he estimated cost him 1.3 million dollars on drugs, strippers, prostitutes, high end hotel, and the fine and suspension and loss of salart that followed the bender..The money he was being paid every 2 weeks after taxes was ridiculous,, he was loose in new york and what he just put into bars, drugs and nite life and man toys was insane.. very interesting watch for those who have not seen the doc…

11. Steeltown Hab says:

Could we have seen the last of Colby Armstrong in a Habs jersey? Barring any injuries I’d say it’s a good possibility.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

12. Say Ash says:

I can’t wait for a rematch against “The Matador”:

• Blondemon says:

Great memory. I like how he almost tries to climb the boards after the goal. Gonchar gave up completely, and I believe that was his last game as a Penguin. I guess he had too much faith in Fleury, whom I think is second-rate.

***Drive for 25***

13. Bill says:

Ok Loonie it’s on, you owe me a beer when I am right.

14. Bill says:

Prediction: Fleury looks bad in one game but Pens win in five.

15. AceMagnum says:

Stupid Ottawa articles showing Canadiens no respect.

Shut them all up on Thursday!

16. Hstands4Hockey says:

So pumped White is back in. He defines playoff hockey.

Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
    @Hstands4Hockey

17. SmielmaN says:

Loonie- no agenda, just know some ppl who were close to the team and I watched my fair share of live games. Just how I feel about using a first round pick on him.

Anyone here concerned that Price will let in one of the first few shots?i feel like he’s going to bounce back well. He’s a competitor and I feel that he’s capable of winning big when he is emotionally engaged. I think the habs are tight knit and they will play hard for each other. I hope anyways lol

• Mustang says:

I think that we will have a good idea of how Price will play in this series after he has handled the first 2 or 3 difficult shots. If he plays like he is capable of, then we are going to see a strong consistant Price. If he lets in a soft one in the first 5 or 10 minutes, anything could happen. While I have never been a big Price supporter, I have great respect for his abilities and I certainly do hope that he plays well.

• wjc says:

I hear that ‘Price’ is not a big ‘Mustang’ supporter. If he lets in a soft one, no big deal, he will get the scoring support.

You are not a Price supporter, but you respect his abilities, more double talk. You want to be right no matter what happens.

If he has problems you can say, “told you I was not a big Price supporter. I was right.

If he comes up big you can say “told you I had great respect for his abilities, I was right. Booboo caukey!

wjc

• Seps says:

He’s a proven winner in everywhere but the NHL and was great in the last playoffs. I’m confident he’s ready for a run.

18. RetroMikey says:

Any link to the Habs playoff media guide in PDF format?

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Maritime Ron says:

I looked high and low for you but couldn’t find the media guide.

What exactly are you looking for beyond stats?
      If it’s pure stats, nhl.com has everything you need.
      If you want advance stuff like Corsi-Fenwick try

• RetroMikey says:

Just the official guide Ron produced by the club….if you go on any other site with playoff teams this year, they are readily available.
        Sad but the club does not cater to their fans.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Luke says:

The ‘club does not cater to their fans’ is a bit of reach… and laughable.

They do cater to their fans.

The boxes donated to military families proves it. The millions raised for community charities proves it.
          Their involvement HI/O Summit is clear evidence that they do.

So, not catering to the fans is clearly nonsense.

Now what about media guides?

They do make guides intended for the media.
          They do not make guides intended for the media available to the general public.

Perhaps the media that covers other NHL teams should raise concern that the majority of NHL teams are circumventing them in an attempt to undermine their coverage.

Have you asked a member of the media if they can send you a copy?

• Chuck says:

No, Mikey… no.

___________________________________________________

• Call the Bell and ask.

When I want something not readily available I call and they usually help out.

They always say oh you’re Sholi2000 that guy always writing great stuff about the Canadiens.

Sure what can we get you?

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

19. Sportfan says:

Can’t believe with he Trades the Sharks made they still made the playoffs haha

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

20. Sportfan says:

I’m surprised Halpern won’t be playing in game one, is it because White is just an extra energy player? Hey so much for White will never play as a Hab again right?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Yep, have to feel that he’s on there for energy. I hope Moen has learned from his healthy scratches that he needs to bring it too. I expect that line to hit, hit and hit.

Also think that White as a PK guy and his improvement on faceoffs makes MT more comfortable taking Halpern out.

I like Halpern, but think this is the right move. White brings more. And I still can’t get that vision of Horton banging one in off Halpern’s shin pad outta my head ;)

Pittsburgh will beat the Islanders. That’s a given.
    Boston should beat Toronto.
    Washington/NYR and Ottawa/Montreal are toss-ups.

For discussion sake, let’s say Toronto, NYR and Montreal win their opening series.

That would mean a Montreal/Toronto semi-final. If Boston wins, then it’s Bruins/Habs.

Go Rangers Go!

• Kooch7800 says:

I am afraid even the pens series isn’t a given. i would bet the Pens win but it is the playoffs and anything can happen. That is what makes it great

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Bripro says:

Don’t completely dismiss the Islanders.
      They’ve gone on quite a run towards year’s end, and I expect them to give the Pens everything they can handle.

22. pmaraw says:

any habs playoff songs this year?

I’m a little surprised that White starts over Halpern.

Doubling up on Subban/Markov is fine by me as long as Therrien remembers they have to play back-to-back games.

• Habcouver says:

Perhaps White to keep Neal in check, I would think.

Waiting patiently for #25

• 24 Cups says:

For sure, but White’s still a loose cannon and the Habs can’t kill penalties. Halpern might have helped in that regard and taken some pressure off of Pleks. There’s also experience and the faceoff circle to consider.

• Habcouver says:

Quite agree with you. If White blows his chance in playing a tight, physical but disciplined game, we’ll be seeing Halpern the next game. Whitey is a pretty good in the face-off but he’s not better than Halpern.

Waiting patiently for #25

• Maritime Ron says:

I think Prust takes care of Neil and maybe White is there in case Zack Smith starts running around

• Kooch7800 says:

I think for energy. White will hit everything in sight

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Arrow77 says:

I’m surprised Moen starts over Halpern. White can play the wing no problem and can take faceoff if Halpern is chased. A Prust-Halpern-White would be physical and be able to kill penalties.

24. icedogs22 says:

As much as I love watching Boston lose, I love it even more when we’re the ones beating them! It’s just so satisfying to see the look on Clod’s face behind the bench when he loses to the Habs.

While I wouldn’t necessarily say I’m “rooting” for the Bruins in the first round, I would much rather them beat the Leafs to shut the Leafs nation up so we can send the Bruins to the golf course ourselves.

Win-Win (as long as we win)!

• Mustang says:

Yes, it a perfect world, the Brooins beat Tranna and shut the TO media up then the Habs beat the Brooins and hopefully Cherry will shut up about the Laffs and the Brooins.

25. Arrow77 says:

I can’t believe Drewiske can’t make the team even though Emelin is injured. That’s exactly the kind of situation we hired him for.

• light_n_tasty says:

Turns out, Tinordi’s better. Who else are you gonna sit?

• Blondemon says:

Agreed. And there is zero physicality to Drewiske’s game. This pickup reminds me of Sopel 2011, did we really need another ring in the lineup, even by somebody who hardly contributed to their team’s Stanley Cup? The only questionable MB move thus far, in my book, but it cost us very little anyway.

***Drive for 25***

• Maritime Ron says:

Drewiske was brought in for depth.
        Same thing for Armstrong/Halpern.
        We’ll see how Tinordi reacts to the pressure of playoff hockey. It’s nice to know we can have a guy that can play a little, and even though he didn’t get to play some LA playoff games last year, he was there and saw what it took to win

• Arrow77 says:

I don’t disagree. I just thinks it makes it a pretty useless pick-up by Bergevin. Tinordi plays well but it you’re willing to play a rookie with very little experience instead of the veteran you just picked up, you shouldn’t have made the move in the first place.

26. Bripro says:

TSN’s version of the Hangover is pretty darn funny.
    Kudos boys!

Thanks Commandant for your Moen post. While he hasn’t been as visible this season, he is still a contributor. He plays the body effectively, defensively responsible and doesn’t make mistakes on the ice.

I believe he absolutely has had a tough year recovering from concussion. Wouldn’t be surprised in least if the past few years he was playing through concussions and it finally caught up to him.

He will provide leadership, smart dump ins, and will play the body in an effective manner. He may not level people out, but he plays effective. This is his time to shine. Armstrong is similar, but has less physical tools than Moen.

28. Loonie says:

I did a three-time review of each game the Habs had this season and here are some of the stats that I collected with notable mentions and a little bit of analysis behind them.

Faceoffs – I evaluated faceoffs for every player. So for example when a faceoff decision comes down to whether or not Max Pacioretty out-battled a guy like Joffrey Lupul and gained possession for the Habs first, I counted it as a win for Pacioretty and no decision for Desharnais. In faceoffs where our winger lost the initial puck battle they were given a loss. Centremen were only evaluated when the faceoff was won or lost cleanly.

Plekanec – 61%
    Eller – 75%
    Desharnais – 33%
    Gionta – 90%
    Pacioretty – 76%
    Galchenyuk – 42%
    Bourque – 24%

Checking Efficiency – This was evaluated based on a bodycheck that resulted in an errant pass or a turnover by the opposition. When a player on our team inflicted a bodycheck just for the sake of doing it, it was counted as an ineffective check for the purposes of the evaluation. Measured by percentage again.

Emelin – 70%
    Gorges – 45%
    Moen – 42%
    Plekanec – 72%
    Bourque – 28%
    Armstrong – 23%
    Markov – 55%
    Subban – 68%

I’ll share more of these stats later.

• Bill says:

Keep them coming and email them to Therrien, ha.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Loonie says:

I’m sure Mario Tremblay keeps similar stats for Therrien to review. And regarding the faceoffs specifically, I’m sure this is why Therrien doesn’t have a heavy bias toward one line in the defensive zone.

Pacioretty makes Desharnais serviceable in the defensive zone while Eller and Plekanec are both excellent. It’s probably why Plekanec takes the most defensive zone faceoffs.

• The Jackal says:

Doesn’t look like Gorges is so useless :)

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Loonie says:

Depends on how you view everything. He had seventy-two giveaways(middle of the pack) but he averaged three plays on a per game basis that lead to opposing scoring chances(team worst).

• twilighthours says:

What if desharnais’ strategy is to win it to patches’ side so he can finish it off? This is a common strategy, in which both winger and centre are crucial. Yet your scoring awards nothing to,desharnais and everything to patches.

• Loonie says:

The percentages don’t punish Desharnais for tying up his man on a faceoff. I considered tie-ups among centremen as no decisions. If he’s trying to tie-up and doesn’t resulting in the opposing centre winning the faceoff then yes it’s a loss.

• twilighthours says:

I guess what I’m saying is that winning a face off is often a two or three man job. I don’t put much faith in this particular data you’re collecting.

• Loonie says:

It’s at least a two man job to be sure. But I find this stat relevant. For example, people have at times criticized Therrien for having Desharnais on the ice for defensive zone faceoffs and while his ability to win them cleanly is lacking severely Pacioretty seems to bail him out a lot.

29. ClutchNGrab says:

While looking to find stats that help me understand why so many people are eager to dismiss PK as a great d-man. I found the following site:

It’s the best thing I’ve seen in terms of stats so far you can see the impact of a player on the others. Weirdly enough 5 on 5, it looks like both PK and Gorges are better off without each other.

30. anotherhab says:

I doubt if MT has plans to play his fifth line — Martin maybe but not MT.

31. donmarco says:

PK’s Top 10 hits. This is the guy we need against Ottawa. Care to guess what Number 1 was?

• jo_maka says:

Can’t youtube at work but it has to be the Subbang on the Rat, right ?
      _________________________________
      Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

• donmarco says:

You are correct. Plus a couple of doozies on Krejci too. I hope he can have one or two like that against the Sens. He’ll have all the space he wants if he does.

• Blondemon says:

He almost creamed Lucic in our 6-5 game. Milan looked dazed even with Soobie missing 90% of him.

***Drive for 25***

32. Strummer says:

Craig Anderson for the hype he generates is a 32 year old who has only has a decent string of 24 games to his credit.

————————————————————————————
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Loonie says:

The hype around him is hilarious. His last two playoff series’ were very good. Elite in fact.

But when he plays more than thirty games he’s average to below average. He will come back down to Earth and it’s already begun.

• Bill says:

Anderson is a good goalie just like every other goalie in the NHL.

However, when he was injured, Bishop and Lehner filled in and basically matched his stats. This suggests what you would expect, which is that it is team D and overall play, and not just goaltending, that determines a lot about a team’s goals-against. Basic hockey point that is lost on many.

I am not going to focus on the goalies. They are both good. The Habs have better scoring, the Sens have better defensive play. This series will be decided on special teams.

Full Breezer 4 Life

33. pmaraw says:

leafs make the playoffs once in how long? and before they even play a game, they’re running their mouths lol good luck in beantown. just kidding, may the bloodiest battered team win.

34. formerly known as the hc says:

I sincerely hope that the Ruins/Laffs series is as Testosterone filled, beligerent, truculant and nasty as many predict. And I wish it to go seven games, all which goes to OT every night. It couldn’t happen to 2 nicer teams.

35. commandant says:

Brandon Prust leads all habs forwards in hits with 87.
    Lars Eller is second with 86.

Guess who is third with 82…. (no peeking)

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

36. Seps says:

After talking with savethepuck last night, I’m feeling very confident in our series. Habs in 5, I think Anderson is overrated, he has never stolen a series before and I believe, although Anderson had the better year, that we have the better goalie. Go Habs Go!

37. Mustang says:

A guy brings a dog into a bar and begins watching the Leaf’s game on TV. The Leafs score a goal and the dog goes nuts running around, barking, etc. A while later the Leafs score another goal and the dog does the same routine going nuts, running around, barking, etc. The waiter sees all of this and says to the guy “If your dog celebrates this much when the Leafs score a goal, what does he do when they win the Stanley Cup”. The guy answers “I don’t know, he’s only 45 years old”.

38. SmielmaN says:

Hey boys! Reading the Posts about Kerby Rychel and I have to say: I live in the Windsor-Essex county area and have some close friends that are in loved with the league. Kerby is not a pick that will pay off. He was given every chance, and then some to play cause his dad owns the team. We had better players here that were released or mismanaged so Kerby could get his spot light. He’s a product of promotion and support of his father and hockey politics. AVOID KERBY RYCHEL. not for the Habs. Mantha is a interesting prospect, but I think Kerby is a disappointment waiting to happen. I felt. Vail outplayed him this year, but Kerby always got prime PP time and Vail offered to play D to help the team. Just saying its not a slam dunk if he’s available.

39. donmarco says:

@willy. I suspect the bar owners downtown will be recouping many of their losses incurred by the lockout starting Thursday night. I suspect no matter which one you recommend it will be mighty crowded. And imagine if Habs sweep both.

• Willy says:

It’s going to be crazy. I’m not fortunate enough to have tickets to either game but i will be downtown watching the games and i expect a mighty big crowd.

• donmarco says:

I’ll be propped in front of the TV with some buds and a few vodkas. Was downtown in bars for both 86 and 93. Cleared out before the riots. Was quite the party scene before the idiots took over. I am envious of any first time visitor to Montreal around this time of year. This city really knows how to party.

40. Bill says:

Western Conference teams constantly overrated by fans of Eastern Conference teams since the lockout.

There is absolutely zero reason why teams from one conference would be much better on average than the other. Doesn’t make any sense.

41. Bill says:

HFS72 the Lupul quote I referenced was the one he made about the Habs, sorry I was not clear.

On another note, how optimistic are YOU about the Habs and Sens?

I am quite optimistic myself.

42. Bill says:

Love Therrien’s quote: “We don’t feel pressure, we will apply the pressure.” Good attitude that I hope is carried onto the ice by his team.

• donmarco says:

Habs need to dictate the tone of the game. Although it feels like it was long ago, they played most of the season on fire in the first period. I predict, if they can find that style again, Ottawa will be in tough, and we should have an excellent chance to at least win game 1.

• Bill says:

Rebounds. The Senators play a great defensive game and Anderson has a good look on most first shots and makes most of them. He’s good. Not much he can do on 2nd and 3rd chances if the Habs can make them happen.

If the Habs can outshoot the Sens in this series they will win, and if they can’t, they will lose.

Full Breezer 4 Life

43. Loonie says:

Reason for optimism?

The best goaltender in the history of the NHL Craig Anderson is coming back to Earth as he always does.

He has a .894 Save Percentage against playoff teams since his return from injury.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Also, optimistic people are happier and live longer.

• Luke says:

People who are optimistic are also more pleasant to be around and attract people and make friends easier.
        Some of those friends may have extra Habs tickets or sexy friends.

• Loonie says:

Another reason for optimism. Neither the Habs or Senators win often when trailing after the first period. In fact it’s around one out of every five games for both teams.

The Senators score less in the first period than the Habs and surrender more first period goals.

This thing’s in the bag.

• B says:

L Pitt 20/17 .850%
      L Tor 4/1 .250%
      L Wash 27/24 .889%
      Total: 76 shots 62 saves .815%

–Go Habs Go!–

• powdered toastmann says:

ouch…looking at the shot totals, it appears as if both goalies (especially Price) were drifting in an out of boredom induced sleep during these games. (not exactly getting peppered)

• Loonie says:

Yes let’s use the worst stretch of Price’s career to evaluate him.

That’s reasonable.

• B says:

I was just matching the criteria YOU USED for the games you cherry picked to slag Anderson. That seemed more than reasonable to me.

Note I am not trying to slag Price, just pointing out how the skewed cherry picking of games you used for “optimism” works both ways. That’s all.

–Go Habs Go!–

44. Bill says:

I want Armstrong in the line-up. He’s a good luck charm. Habs play better with him in the line up.

• anotherhab says:

I prefer the energy of Whitey, hopefully he can keep it under control.
      White’s a part of the youth and I’m hoping he has great playoffs. On the other hand Armstrong won’t be around next year.

45. punkster says:

Checking in for a few minutes then off to the driving range.

Just wanted to say…I’ve decided to cheer for the Br00nz tonight for two reasons:
    1) I want to see the stu00pidhead laffs get thrashed
    2) I want a Habs/Br00nz series…we owe them a humiliating series defeat

Later!

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

46. Bill says:

Maybe I don’t hate the Leafs enough – I save that for the Bruins – but I don’t see any problem with what is being perceived recently as trash talk from Kadri and Lupul.

Kadri called the upcoming round against the Bruins “very winnable”. I don’t think is incendiary or “bulletin board” material.

Lupul said the Leafs were “physically much bigger and stronger”, which is a debatable point and not a put down. Btw, that rest of Lupul’s comments were interesting and measured, and contained praise for the Habs, which somewhat contextualizes the “big and strong” thing.

The talk about Kadri being a punk … it reminds me of people talking about PK before. I am not sure it is justified, but I know many do.

• Old Bald Bird says:

You are the voice of reason even though some would call it treason. :roll:

• Maritime Ron says:

Bill
        Punk may be a strong word, yet quite likely people are saying he has not earned the right to mouth off.

The guy has played 99 games over 4 seasons – nothing close to a full 82 game season-he had a nice little spurt of games this year, but finished off with 1 goal and a Minus 5 in his last 12 games.

You earn the right to yap is when you win something, can play a few very good 82 game seasons, and then stop hiding behind Orr and McLaren.

• christophor says:

Lots of similarities between Kadri now and PK two years ago: trash talking, some hard hitting, both accused of diving (though Kadri less so because he’s got Cherry on his side), and both avoid fights (PK eventually fought a couple of guys).

But there are two important differences. First, I’ve never heard PK say anything borderline to the media, even when others have used the media to call him out several times. Second, I haven’t seen PK pull anything like Kadri did after he hit Eller. PK’s hit on Marchand was way more impressive and he didn’t gloat over him.

In my mind, Kadri is one level of rat-ness below Marchand, or maybe two, but that’s only because Marchand is the king of rats.

• jo_maka says:

Tongue wrestling with Grapes can’t help his reputation.
        I know, I know, that’s not quite what happened but it might as well. Plus hyperboles are what rivalries are made of.

Kadri’s the Coach’s bratty pet.
        The Rat is his own man…..er…..ball of hate that is.
        _________________________________
        Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

• HabFanSince72 says:

Didn’t Lupul say the same thing about being bigger before the game against us?

I think it’s a marketing strategy for the Leafs.

Just like golf equipment companies promising to make men “longer”. They know their demographic.

• Cal says:

Love the way PK hit Lupul last Saturday night and kept talking to him about it later.
      The laffs are punks, led by “Call me Celine” Dion.

47. HabFanSince72 says:

I only saw bits of all three games last night, but everyone of those teams looks better than any team in the East (except Pittsburgh). Big, fast players. Crisp passing. Outstanding goalkeeping.

While the goons have moved East (e.g. Parros, Scott) the skill level has increased in the West.

• Habilis says:

Huh?

Pittsburgh has the two best players in the world, along with one of the top offensive defensemen. That’s without including guys like Neal and Iginla.

Washintgon has the league’s top goal scorer, who is also the hottest offensive player in the league right now.

Boston is chalk full of big, skilled players, including the biggest man in the NHL.

Toronto is kind of like Boston, with less skill. But they suck, so I’ll move on.

The Rangers have Rick Nash and Ryan Clowe, two guys who are pretty big and at least in Nash’s case, extremely skilled.

The Sens have the best offensive defenseman in the league.

The Isles have Tavares, he’s kinda good.

No skill in the East? Please.

• donmarco says:

Add Lundqvist to your Rangers list. More than capable of stealing a game or series, and the Top 2 teams in the west, 3 in fact, don’t even have a true #1 goalie. This “west is best” nonsense is just that. Nonsense.

• Blondemon says:

Damn, you didn’t list any Habs.

***Drive for 25***

• junyab says:

The Kings looked terrible for 55 minutes of their game and the Wild looked worse than the Kings.

Albeit, the Blues probably played their best game ever, and the Blackhawks are just stacked.

48. junyab says:

Meh…how many more chances are we going to give White before we realize he’s a dime a dozen, bad penalty taking, player first team last teammate and cut him loose?!?!?!

Case in point:

Therrien – “We need him to play on the line but not cross it.”
    White – “I’m not going to change the way I play as it’s gotten me where I am today.”

• AllHailTheFlower says:

And Therrien also said, “He’s a hard guy to play against. I think he learned from the past. He’s a lot more disciplined than he was. He was good on faceoffs. We all know that playoffs the intensity is always there. So he’s an intense player.”

49. jedimyrmidon says:

@markhmasters: Gunnarsson on lack of playoff experience: ‘It doesn’t worry me at all. I would see that as a good thing. Why not? … we’re all excited.’

From a lot of Leafs quotes, you can really tell they’re a green team when it comes to the playoffs. They’re definitely excited, but that level of seriousness/focus seen in other more experienced teams is clearly absent.

50. WindsorHab-10 says:

Nazim Kadri to TSN:”A very very winnable series for us”. What a douchebag, I guess he hasn’t learned anything from his teammate Lupul, that when you open your big mouth it comes back & bites you.
    I hate both teams tremendously but in this case I’ll be going for Boston & Tuck Foronto.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Well what is he supposed to say?

• Luke says:

“I’m terribly afraid and lack confidence in everything except my ability to say something insignificant and have it be blown way out of proportion during micro-analysis.”

• donmarco says:

I don’t care who wins, as long as to goes 7, with a few overtime games thrown in. Hope they destroy each other.

• Blondemon says:

Nothing wrong with being confident. And Pleks made a comment about Theodore in 2010, and we beat him and forced Boudreau to use Varlamov. It’s all about getting in the other guys’ heads withoutmaking it too bulletin-board-friendly.

***Drive for 25***

51. joeybarrie says:

In his article Ian McDonald mentions how in 1986 the Habs would never have beaten the Kings in the Finals, had they met…. EXPLAIN WHY WE BEAT THEM 6-0 and 6-4… Yet only lost to then 3-2 in overtime during the regular season???
    Just an observation….

52. Maksimir says:

From the Leaf’s resident Rat:

Leafs coach Randy Carlyle talked about showing the Bruins respect but not being in awe of them.

Toronto centre Nazem Kadri went one better, calling the first-round playoff matchup a “very, very winnable series for us.”

I hope the Bruins Rat takes out the Leafs Rat, then someone takes out the Bruins Rat.

Stubbs – Fabulous (but sadly uncredited) photo of #Habs Carey Price, displayed at security/media entrance of Bell Centre

It looks like in this picture Carey thinks: “Whoa fu%^! The puck is coming”

54. commandant says:

Another potential power forward with skill is sitting at #22 on the draft board, From Windsor, Kerby Rychel

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Loonie says:

If Rychel’s still available at 22 the team holding that pick should have their phone ringing off of the hook from GM’s looking to get into that spot.

• commandant says:

He’s very good Loonie, but there are so many good power forwards in this draft.

I note that NHL Central Scouting had him as the 17th best North American Skater in their final rankings as well.

Someone really good will be available at 22, whether its him, Mantha, Erne, Gauthier, Compher, there is gonna be a potential power forward on the board.

And I haven’t even ranked guys like Robert Hagg, Mirco Mueller, and Madison Bowey on defence, Zach Fucale in goal, or skilled (but not power) forwards like Klimchuk, Petan, Burakovsky, Zykov, Lehkonen, yet.

There is also power forwards to come in Hudson Fasching, William Carrier, Jason Dickinson, Ryan Hartman,

We can get three very good forwards in our three picks.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Loonie says:

I wasn’t knocking your ranking. CSS and ISS have him in a similar place obviously.

I lean toward the thinking that this was a nightmare season for Rychel and his team. I think he could have easily been a top ten pick and that a disappointing point production hurt him. Talent and intelligence are more important in my mind and there aren’t many in the draft who can match his.

• Old Bald Bird says:

It looks like we’re getting into CH territory and a power forward sounds like just the ticket for me.

55. AceMagnum says:

Obviously the pun was intended if you spell carry “Carey”

56. commandant says:

Woah, what game was she watching?

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

57. ClutchNGrab says:

I’m just happy that the three players that we took from playoff teams that were healthy scratch when they played there (Drewiske, Armstrong, Halpern) are considered Plan Bs and not in the starting line up for the first game.

• Loonie says:

Halpern would probably in the lineup if the Senators were good in the faceoff circle.

• krob1000 says:

Probably a combination of that and Neil, Smith, Kassian. White’s squirelly side makes him an asset against any team with tough guys who are known to traget any and everyone including top end players. The fact both White and Prust can play center helps as they can both engage someone physically or drag Neil or Smith off in matching misconducts and they could still rotate in wingers to get by.

• chanchilla says:

halperns been more physical than moen this year IMO. i was never a moen hater, he had what wouldve been thebest year of his career last year before he got injured. But i really think Halpern shouldve been penciled in over him.

• krob1000 says:

Halpern tries hard, is a well respected vet, can win a slightly above average amount of draws, he is a righty centerman but he is a depth guy and should not be dressing regularly on a good team at this stage of his career. A couple years back sure but he is not the Halpern of a few years ago right now.

• Loonie says:

Okay. Now compare him to Moen and Armstrong. And of the three who best serves the team in both scheme and versatility?

Halpern by a mile. But Ryan White tends to get on the opposing team’s nerves and Halpern’s specialty isn’t yet required.

• chanchilla says:

Halpern is the better player out of halpern moen and armstrong, by quite a bit. Moen was supposed to be a nasty forward who could pot a few goals, he has done neither. At least halpern fills his role. And i think halpern is probably quicker than both moen and armstrong even at his age.

58. Lafleurguy says:

Hi Burly…..the Whaler Jimmy Mann ko’d was Paul Gardner, who had earlier highsticked D. Smail right on the jaw protector for his broken mandible.
    Bwoar, I had left the Peg by the time Teemu, and Keith Tkacuk came to town, so never really got to know those Jets. Alex Zhamnov too. Must have been quite the team.
    “May you live in interesting times.”

59. HNS says:

…. and at the end of the day it still remains up to how far Price can Carey this team. No pun intended.

60. Sportfan says:

Darn those new threads well I’ve got a new article up finally I speak about the habs! So check it out :D

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

61. bwoar says:

Way, way back before the lockout, I posted that Markov and Subban should play together, and I’m glad to see that it’s worked out. I’ll repeat that I think Subban can extend Markov’s career significantly, giving him the best partner he’s ever had. I think that pair on the PP is pure dynamite, and even if they run into trouble 5-on-5 now and again, I’d want them playing together so long as Markov is a Hab.

Sure, Emelin’s injury might have something to do with it ; -) but I’d be looking to play Emelin and Diaz together as a second unit next year with Tinordi and Gorges as the third pair.

In any case, these playoffs will help in terms of sorting out where to go with our stable of current and prospect defensemen.

“thoroughbred”

62. Chilly Willy says:

White over Halpern? That don’t make no sense.

63. byrneoNL says:

Seriously tho, I’m in MTL tomorrow and Friday, and going to both games. Where is everyone going to drink afterwards? Crescent Street or St. Denis? St. Denis is what, 20-25 min walk from Bell Centre?

• Mattyleg says:

Generally HI/Oers hit Hurleys before and after on Crescent St. below St. Catherine’s. It’s a good spot and it’s close.

Another bet is the Old Orchard on de la Montagne just up from the Bell Centre.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• byrneoNL says:

Thanks Matty. And old timer like me (37 heh) likes the sound of that. My buddy tho, still in his 20s , he might want to go chase a few skirts.
        I like Hurleys tho, been there a couple times during my summer visits over the years :) I’ll have a Habs jersey on, #26, with BYRNE on the back of it. 26 is in honor of Mats Naslund, but I like Gorges too :p

• donmarco says:

Tell your buddy in his 20’s to hit the Irish Embassy on Bishop. Should get more than his fill of nice ladies to strike out with. LOL.
          Mattys right, you shouldn’t have to go more than 2-3 blocks from the Bell Centre to be fully immersed in the atmosphere. And with the weather this weekend, everybody will be outside. If you haven’t been here before for the playoffs you’re in for quite a treat.

• Willy says:

You’ll have a blast down there after the games(especially when the Habs win em both!). I’ll even bet your skirt chasing buddy will be pretty happy there considering the warm weather we are having here :P . Another place to go is Brutopia which is right above Hurley’s, they have some amazing “home brew” beers there.

64. habsfan0 says:

Tomorrow, May 2, marks the 46th anniversary of the Laffs last Stanley Cup victory.( May 2,1967).

The entire GTA will come to a standstill in a moment of silence.

• Alex_425 says:

That standstill will be followed by a complete loss of productivity within the GTA. A microcosm, if you ask me.

But I’m no expert….

• byrneoNL says:

We will be there, then hehe. Crescent is a lot closer than St Denis if memory serves anyways. Keep your eye out for two burly newfies!

• Blondemon says:

It’s amazing that Habs have won 10 Cups since, Leafs zilch. We were neck-and-neck til then, 14-13 in banners. Expansion was kinder to us. I guess Ballard had his part to play.

***Drive for 25***

65. AllHailTheFlower says:

Not sure if this has already been posted, but I’m not sure if this is amusing or poor sportsmanship – feel free to discuss among yourselves…

Canadiens Fan Construction Worker Buries Habs Puck Under New Quebec City Arena

• Alex_425 says:

“I’ve got you under my arena…” ~ ♫

But I’m no expert….

• Bripro says:

It’s been posted a few times.
      But just to clarify, the fan in question is a Nordiques fan. Not a Habs fan. When interviewed, he said he expects the Nords to “bury” the Habs every time they will play them (if ever) when they meet in the new Colisée. Hence the symbolism of having the puck thrown into the hammer while pouring the concrete.
      Personally, I think he’s invited the ghosts of the Habs to devour the Nords.

• bwoar says:

The article is pretty much wrong, in that case. No matter, I think it’s terrific. If it’s a Habs fan, perfect. If it’s a Nords fan, well, not too smart on their part, that’s the kind of thing that raises the ghosts, indeed.

“thoroughbred”

66. Habfan10912 says:

@Bri. Was in Bermuda a few years ago. Met a Habs fan in a restaurant . You will find Habs fans there. Perhaps the ship will have access to CNBC and NBCSports. They are US stations broadcasting games. Fingers crossed bud.

@front. Cheers bud. My worms are growing up before my eyes. I have no friggin clue what I’m going to do with them outside if my own fishing use. :)

67. Stevie.Ray says:

I’m going through a The Hockey News Draft preview and a couple players intrigue me.

Mantha
    Zadorov
    Rychel
    Erne (reminds me of Kostitsyn)
    Zykov
    Morin

Has anyone seen these guys play? Looks like there is not just a lot of talent in this draft, but a lot of size and quality QMJHLer’s

• Loonie says:

This coming draft has plenty of talent. So much so that having a pick in the twenties is like having a late single digit pick any other year.

That’s a product of the top heavy nature of this draft though. Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin and Barkov would all be near locks for the first overall selection in nine out of ten drafts.

Kerby Rychel and Max Domi specifically would be top ten picks normally. The first round of this coming draft should produce a fantastic player for nearly every team.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

And which ones will be “locks” along the lines of Svitov, Bonsignore, Fata, Pouliot, Stefan or Daigle? That’s the question.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

• krob1000 says:

Morin is a monster dman who is tough…I remember seeing a you tube of him hammering someone last year. Not sure of his hockey skills but I know he was a big mover from the midterm report up til now. I can see hte Habs going after one more big tough dman, a scorer and a big winger who can play both ways wit their first three picks…or moving up to take someone they really like.
      The pipeline is void though of any prospects of high end talent with size….I think this has to be a priority this draft….with these extra picks they can draft their skilled guys and roll the dice on some toughness and hope to find a rugged 20 goal winger and a tougher dman. 4 pikcs between 17 and 60 is pretty good and they also have two third rounders that could likely be moved to get another second rounder if they so chose. They should be able to target at least 5 good players and hoepfully with Timmins track record have 3 of them be successful NHlers. Size needs to be a theme though as Gallagher, Hudon, Collberg and Kristo all project well but all are similar in their size and 3 of the 4 will be deserving NHlers likely. This means they need to be surrounded with ample size.

68. freshairinspector says:

prusty and co has to put karlsson against wall every time on the forecheck he did it last year with the rangers, it worked well and frustrated the hell out of the little stache, he is not 100% so little bit every shift will wear him down when he plays 30 mins,

69. lavie says:

Ryder-Plekanec-Gionta;
    Pacioretty-Desharnais-Bourque;
    Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher;
    Moen-White-Prust.

It does look like the playoff lineups. 3 lines almost have the same fire power, and 4th line looks like “game winning goal” line. :)

70. HABitat4humanity says:

Keys to the game:

Hit Philips hard & often

Traffic in front of sens goalie( gally borque)

Minimal habs penalties

Get Ryder & pleky going

Let Subban hit

Always keep someone close to Karlson

Get back to the quick transition game early in the year

Score first

Punish their offense in defensive zone.

Clear sens in front of price

Take out white & play halpern

A lot to ask but doable.

• Timo says:

Other than that, not much to it…

• krob1000 says:

Where is this recurring Subban can’t hit thing coming from?
      HE was told to not go looking for the hit…which he shouldn’t…but if it is there he is free to hit…this is the same for any dman. Taking yourself out of the play to make a highlight reel hit that leads to a highlight reel goal against is ill advised and is actually a big reason the Habs forwards have success.

+76

• Timo says:

I miss the SUBBANG! hit. Haven’t seen one in a while. Hopefully on on Alfredson on Thursday to take Goldielocks out of the series.

• Blondemon says:

Not gonna happen, nobody will hit a ‘legend’ of sorts like Alfie that hard. Anyway, I never wish injury on opponents.

I do see Soobie laying out Tender or Conacher, although the latter plays on the RW I think.

***Drive for 25***

• Mustang says:

Carey has to play like we know he can, if not I hope that MT will not wait too long to go to plan B.

71. Bripro says:

Seventh!!
    Woo Hoo!
    (That’s my lucky number, and my jersey number all through hockey).
    That means something…. It’s a sign.
    The Habs…. all the way into June.

72. mark-ID says:

Re-post, but does anyone know if the same refs and linesman ref the whole series? or do they switch up like during regular season?

Really like the fact it appears MT is sticking with Bourque on the DD/Max line. While we may miss Halpern for faceoffs, our 4th line has some nice N.A.G. contained in it.

Especially like the fact it appears MT is sold on Tinordi, he was a stud the last two games of season. Larry Robinson Jr. I am hopeful of. (realize he will never ever be Larry, but you know what I mean)

• Ton says:

what caused Halpern to be demoted……..did I miss something….injury or white impressed during his suspension!

• Timo says:

I thought Halpern’s play was about same as Moens. He just didn’t do anything. Maybe Therrien finally woke up to the fact that an occasional body check that White throws is better than no bodycheck.

As for faceoffs, Habs always have DD to fall back on.

• derfab says:

Good in his own zone but not on the forecheck. Unless Habs get killed on faceoffs, White will be more effective in a limited role.

• krob1000 says:

He has offered nothing other than about 2 faceoff wins per game more tahn any other center. He is not a bad player but is not an upgrade…why have him take away a spot from someone who has been there all year if not an upgrade.

• Timo says:

The only player MT is totally sold on is DD. The rest, will be switched up if required. Tinordi, if he begins to struggle, will find his seat in the pressbox very quickly, and powerhouse Drewiske will draw in.

• HabFanSince72 says:

You know what’s funny is that we finished 2nd in the conference, with a lineup that has serious holes on D, no dominant attacker, and our keeper having by his standards a somewhat off-year. And yet you continually suggest that Therrien is clueless.

You’ve also repeatedly said that Tomas Plekanec was useless (although he always plays against other teams’ top lines, and usually shuts them down, as well as being our best centre on the PK and PP).

I realize you’re all limbic system, but come on.

• derfab says:

The line is a good one, especially if the wingers bang and crash. But, as I wrote earlier, I would rather see Ryder and Pacioretty switched. Makes more sense.

74. Stevie.Ray says:

Would you rather have Drewiske or Boullion on the third pair with Tinordi?

75. habs-fan-84 says:

GO HABS GO

76. donmarco says:

Therrien basically challenged him as a man with his benching before the end of the season. How Moen deals with it is up to him, but he played a physical game in Toronto, and has the experience we need. Therrien won’t hesitate to bench him if he floats through game 1. I think our fourth line is grittier with Moen and White, versus Halpern and Armstrong.

77. donmarco says:

Neither of them, frankly, are there for their goal scoring prowess, so I’ll stick to the gritty theme, but I suspect, if there’s any thoughts of gooning it up on Ottawa’s side it won’t last. I suspect we’ll see both Halpern and Armstrong unless the Habs sweep the series.

78. Loonie says:

The stats are hilarious. I reviewed every game three times and our leading checker had 241.

And it was Emelin.

79. Blondemon says:

Agree 100%. This is proof that stats are bullshit msot of the time, I don’t remember one hit this guy made all season.

***Drive for 25***

80. ProHabs says:

I don’t think the Habs are the only team to lose a couple of games in a row this year. It is not as if Therrien is the one who hurt Emelin or who was letting in weak goals.

81. wjc says:

He is an excellent coach…..he is an ‘okay’ coach?????

Which is it????

Playoffs have not started so why don’t you wait to evaluate him??

Finished second overall, but have you done lately??? Could we play a couple of playoff games to give an evaluation.

Haven’t seen the ‘movie’ but I rate it just ‘okay’…..what a tough and totally confusing bunch. By being silent you are allowing this unfair double talk to flourish unchallenged.

wjc

82. powdered toastmann says:

Will go so far to as to pronounce that he’s manufactured a silk purse out of a sow – ee – an ear.