“We don’t feel the pressure. We apply the pressure,” Therrien says

There was no change to the lines as the Canadiens practised Wednesday morning in Brossard as preparations continued for the first-round playoff opener Thursday night at the Bell Centre against the Ottawa Senators (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

The lines again were: Ryder-Plekanec-Gionta; Pacioretty-Desharnais-Bourque; Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher; Moen-White-Prust.

Defenceman Yannick Weber joined Jeff  Halpern and Colby Armstrong to form a fifth line.

Defence pairings were: Markov-Subban; Gorges-Diaz; Bouillon-Tinordi; Kaberle-Drewiske.

The Canadiens took to the ice about 30 minutes before the 11 a.m. scheduled start to work on the power play and penalty-killing.

“We don’t feel the pressure,” coach Michel Therrien told reporters after practice. “We apply the pressure.”

When asked about Ryan White, who practised on the fourth line, Therrien said: “I really liked the way he played the last game. He played with emotion. He’s a hard guy to play against. I think he learned from the past. He’s a lot more disciplined than he was. He was good on faceoffs. We all know that playoffs the intensity is always there. So he’s an intense player.”

Therrien said he spoke to the five Canadiens players who don’t have any NHL playoff experience: Max Pacioretty, Jarred Tinordi, Brendan Gallagher, Alex Galchenyuk and Raphael Diaz.

“I spoke to them,” the coach said. “I think it’s important to get their feeling.  For me there’s no pressure about those guys coming into the playoffs. Like I told them, don’t feel the pressure. Put the pressure, establish the pressure on the other team. That’s the way we have to deal with the pressure … our young kids did a great job through the course of the season. One thing I like about our young kids, they got better and better and better. So that’s a good sign. Sometimes you’re going to see young kids, they got a great start and (things) could be more demanding at the end of the year. And those kids progressed.

“Even a guy like Pacioretty, who is a veteran, he hasn’t played in the playoffs, so I took the time to sit down with him and I wanted to know how he was feeling. And he’s feeling pretty good, so it’s a good sign.

“We also have good young veterans … who have experienced really important games and knew how to react well.”

Listen to what Michael Ryder had to say after practice by clicking here.

Listen to what Travis Moen had to say by clicking here.

Listen to what Raphael Diaz had to say by clicking here.

Listen to what Jarred Tinordi had to say by clicking here.

(Photo by Ryan Remiorz/The Canadian Press)

It’s going to be an exciting series: Plekanec, by Brenda Branswell

Sens look to goalie Anderson against Habs, montrealgazette.com

New-look Senators targeting Habs, by Ottawa Citizen

Karlsson and Subban take centre stage, by Ottawa Citizen

Friendly rivalry on verge of becoming nastier, by Ottawa Citizen

The Leafs are Canada’s team? Oh, really? by L. Ian MacDonald

TSN has some fun with The Hangover – L.A. Kings Edition, by Stu Cowan

Bulldogs put a positive spin on disappointing AHL season, by Stu Cowan

1. Fansincebirth says:

Well, after watching the first period in Boston, I can honestly say that I hate the B’s more than I hate Tranna?..a lot more.

• petefleet says:

Ditto but TO is giving this game away. BOS not even playing well enough to win against a real team.

******************************************
      I haven’t been wrong in a long time…..not feeling like today is the day.

***Go Habs Go***

• suttontom says:

Of course, we should cheer for the Canadian team , and be very happy not to be playing the Bruins in the first round (again). Let the Leafs deal with them for a change, and we can focus on fast & good hockey…I love the coaches line..” We don’t feel the pressure,we apply the pressure” Classic. I claim it as my H/O signature. Just have to figure out how to do it… I’ll give it a go.
      Just to say , all of you who can’t wait till thurs. to watch the Habs, I have to wait till Friday, Ha ha.. NZ. time… What to do?

2. petefleet says:

I’ll give you 3-1 odds that Ferrance never sees the inside of Shanny’s office. Another equipment malfunction that goes unpunished…..what a jerk.

******************************************
    I haven’t been wrong in a long time…..not feeling like today is the day.

***Go Habs Go***

3. Bardya says:

Hey guys, can you plz check out my Canadiens video and let me know what you think:

• petefleet says:

Couldn’t access it.

******************************************
      I haven’t been wrong in a long time…..not feeling like today is the day.

***Go Habs Go***

4. Danno says:

Toilet Series Begins Tonight

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

5. savethepuck says:

I am curious to know what early game most of you will be watching. Of course I will be switching back and forth, but I think I will focus on Pens-Isles because I won’t have a clue what to do when Boston or Toronto score.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

6. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

its been a long time since I actually agreed wholeheartedly with the coach, his decisions and his personality.

MT has had to deal with 18 year olds to mid 30′s veterans, fighters to figure skaters… and he has forced his iron discipline to get the best out of this group.

we are as ready as we’ll ever be for the 2013 playoffs…

The N.A.G. (North American Grit) effect is the only path to success…
    GALLAGHER = FUTURE HAB CAPTAIN

7. habs11s says:

So Kadri (who I’m not really a fan of- mostly because of his attitude) says that we have a good shot at winning this series and those are ‘fighting words,’ TSN your hype machine has no fuel…

_____________________________________________________________

8. Storman says:

As much as we all hate the Leafs and for myself mostly because of the media bias force fed us on a regular basis,, That said i really kind of feel good for their fans after seeing there rabid excitement outside of Maple Leaf Square, getting ready to watch the game outside with other fans ,,real cool, Kind of nice to watch these first 2 nights of playoff action with no nervousness, that all ends in 24 hours…

9. donmarco says:

I hate Rihanna.

10. Maritime Ron says:

Would like to ask the real smart folks around here if anybody feels that these 2 UFAs should be heavily pursued this summer?

1) Bryan Bickell.
    I was happy Bickel scored the OT winning goal last night, but disappointed for us Habs that his value may have increased.

Bickel: 6’4-215lbs (god knows we need some size)
    Status: UFA Summer 2013
    Cap Hit 2013: $541,667
    Hits: Lead the Hawks in hits with 108.
    Put into perspective, the top Habs forwards for hits this year were Prust (87) Eller (86)

Ex: Last night he ran over 6′-210 lbs Zenon Konopka.

Present Hawks Cap Situation:
    $2M left and need to sign RFA Top 4 D Nick Leddy and another goaltender + (Victor Stalberg?)

Fighter?: No, yet can handle himself against the likes of Hartnell or Staubitz if need be.
    Will not be embarrassed.

2) The other UFA is Patrick Bordeleau from Colorado

Born: Montreal ( nice)
    Size: 6’6″-225 lbs
    Age: 26 and still raring to go
    Style: Heavyweight and rarely loses.
    2013 Cap Hit: $525,000

Thoughts?

There is a blood donor clinic beside the Boston Garden tonight! Hope they don’t run out before the 3rd!. But if they do, no loss either way!

12. habsfan0 says:

I take it Boone will be live blogging all Habs playoff games.
    Or,is he like NHL players, in that he doesn’t get paid for post season work,but unlike NHL players,he doesn’t have to show up for the postseason.

13. bwoar says:

On the Eve of TOR-BOS, some appropriate music:

“thoroughbred”

14. Maritime Ron says:

1) Bryan Bickell.

Bickel: 6’4-215lbs (god knows we need some size)
    Status: UFA Summer 2013
    Cap Hit 2013: $541,667
    Hits: Lead the Hawks in hits with 108.

Ex: Last night he ran over 6′-210 lbs Zenon Konopka.

Present Hawks Cap Situation:

Will not be embarrassed.

2) The other UFA is Patrick Bordeleau from Colorado

Born: Montreal ( nice)
    Size: 6’6″-225 lbs
    Age: 26 and still raring to go
    Style: Heavyweight and rarely loses.
    2013 Cap Hit: $525,000

Thoughts?

15. Psycho29 says:

Mitch Melnick of TSN-690 had Robin Herman on his show earlier. She was the first woman reporter to seek access to the locker room.
    One of the things they mentioned (and other reporters have mentioned) is that today things are a lot different in the locker rooms. The players don’t strip down naked at their stall and then walk to the shower. They remove their equipment and walk to the private shower area in their t-shirts/long johns etc.

So obviously Cherry hasn’t been in a locker room in ages or he’s completely out of touch. (your choice)

Robin Herman also said that Cherry was the first coach to officially allow women reporters in the locker room….35 years ago…….

16. Habitant in Surrey says:

…during Our search for a new Coach this summer, I don’t think I could have been more negative and disparaging of Michel Therrien

…and today ?, I don’t think I could express more complimentary words on how He has turned the culture and style of play of Our Team around

…it was My opinion this summer, after His hiring, after I raised My head from the toilet bowl following puking My stomach contents, that We heretofore would certainly bounce from one crisis and controversy of one kind or another this season

…among other things I felt certain He would be impatient with Our younger Players …yet, I was expecting, on the positive side, that We will also be in a prime place to draft another elite talent to complement Galchenyuk in July

…Therrien would last the season, be fired, and replaced by Patrick

…so, why am I feeling so wonderful these days being so wrong and terribly off the mark ? …after all, You all know I am normally always right ! …right ??? :)

…funny, recently reading Patrick Roy is a possible choice for the Avalanche as their new head coach, I was surprised My only reaction was …’I wish You all the best Patrick ! ‘ :)

…now, that being said, I truly hope I have not spoken too soon again, …Les Boyz possibly eliminated by Ottawa in 4 straight, and Coach Michel self-immolates in a subsequent news conference ?

…because this taste of braised crow in My mouth is not pleasant :)

• Steven says:

Thinking that Bob Hartley was MB’s first choice is a little frightening in retrospect, though

• punkster says:

Many of us shared that same toilet bowl HiS…I had him down for 2 years max.

But this entire season has been one of surprises…so who knows what other earth shattering events will take place over the coming weeks.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

• Ian Cobb says:

I had no idea how this coaching change would turn out Chris. But have we ever been on a very fun ride this year my friend. Everything going forward is just gravy for 2013. Now next year I will be expecting a little more now that Bergevin and Therrien know what else is needed for the next step. SEE YA AT THE PARADE NEXT YEAR>!

• Habfan10912 says:

Good summary HiS. Some people do learn through life experiences. It dies appear MT may be one of those. Ge’s done a fine job for sure.

17. commandant says:

We’ve also got our series previews for the Rangers/Caps

and Leafs/Bs

We’ll give you the Habs tomorrow.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• jo_maka says:

I guess it got lost in the other threads or other pages, but I just wanted to ask you if you have any info on Eric Comrie and the possibility of getting him.

Thanks !
      _________________________________
      Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

• commandant says:

Eric Comrie is likely a second round pick, and probably the 2nd or 3rd goalie off the board. Right now I’m still debating if Comrie or Saros from Finland is the better goalie.

If you use one of the early 2nd rounders, you can likely get him. If you want to wait to the Habs 2nd rounder, its a gamble, he might be there, might not.

Habs need to draft a goalie at some point… whether its one of those two… or wait for a Spencer Martin or Tristan Jarry or Derosiers, in the third round, they need to use one of the first 6 picks on goaltending IMO, because the pipeline is so bare.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

18. Steven says:

I hope Kessel pops a hatty in tonight. That way I won’t have to hear the TSN talking heads harp on about that.

And also the Bruins probably lose. Which would be cool

19. HabFanSince72 says:

If any game in the Boston-Toronto series turns into a blowout, look for some head hunting.

20. HabFanSince72 says:

In the airport lounge at Dorval after watching the soccer.

Sportsnet is now showing what appears to be a live broadcast of two guys doing a radio talk show. The lead guy is wearing sunglasses indoors. Now I understand why a guy like PJ Stock gets airtime.

How on earth do they not have something else to show?

• Blondemon says:

You mean you haven’t seen or heard McCown before? Kinda weird with the shades, not sure if it’s a medical thing or no, but he is good. I like how he says it like it is, and is not a biased Leaf homer like some of his mates, even though he is (as far as I know) a Leaf fan.

One of the best voices in the biz, too.

***Drive for 25***

McCown is excellent at his job, but he also has become “lazy” in my opinion over the past few years. Bob also has his list of FOB, Friends of Bob, and these guests have included people like Burke. He never asked Burke tough questions but rather catered to them, as opposed to years ago when he was tough and honest with all his guest like that.

He claims the TV lights give him headaches, I don’t buy it, but rather believe it is part of his shtick. But he is an excellent radio host, whom the station chose to put on TV. His face is for radio, his voice is good on both.

• Ozmodiar says:

Bobcat’s the best in the business, no doubt.

My understanding his latest contract is paying him between 1.3 and 1.6 mill. per year. TSN tried to get him and Sportsnet gave him huge contract and many other perks. I noticed some of the recent sportsent productions are listed as FadooBobcat Productions, which is Bob’s twitter handle.

He is very good at his job.

21. thebonscott says:

i liked drewiske, but i guess you can’t dress 7 D

Buck the Fruins.

22. Blondemon says:

I love the defense duos. Diaz coming back and Tinordi making the big team, might have saved our season and help us go deep.

***Drive for 25***

• piper says:

I like it a lot better than Beaulieu and Drewiske. MB has to look for a Erskine type d-man in the off season.

• Blondemon says:

I have to say, I had big hopes for Beaulieu, and I liked what little I saw of him. I hope this mess gets cleared up because the way he skates, his size, and potential for offense, I see a Pronger-like guy in the making, not to get ahead of myself. Minus the viciousness, that is.

***Drive for 25***

• piper says:

I like Beaulieu as well and think he’ll be a good one down the road. Its just that we need more of what Tinordi brings to the game right now. Don’t worry about Beaulieu, I don’t think this regime will not react the way the old one did with this kind of thing. I remember losing Chelios, Corson, and Carboneau for off ice incidents.

23. JUST ME says:

Kind of a desperate way to try to fuel something ,anything between those two teams. I am not expecting to see anything we would see with the Bruins or the Leafs. It will be open ice hockey ,speed ,talent and grit. That`s why i think the Habs should win this serie.

24. habs-fan-84 says:

With regards to the poll, i picked Subban as I see him as a more dynamic player.

-PK can contribute offensively at a similar pace
    -PK is fantastic defensively
    -PK dishes out some beauty hits. Opposing forwards need to know when he is on the ice (more so than Karlsson)

All that said, Karlsson is a great player – he can play on the Habs any day.

• Blondemon says:

Can you imagine a defense with Soobie and Karlsson? Cup contenders year in year out. They would make Keith and Seabrook look like Mara and Drewiske. OK, I exaggerate.

On that note, anybody know why Chicago’s former dynamite duo don’t play together anymore? Spread the talent? Not judging, as whatever Coach Q is doing is obviously working.

***Drive for 25***

• jo_maka says:

Lidstrom never hits, he’s in a class by himself…………but it didn’t hurt to have a Kronwall on the team.

Niedermayer’s last Cup was great……..and it helped to have the Pronger on your side.

So if both Karlsson and Subban are elite talent capable of dictating the pace of the game and a permanent offensive threat with a flawless defensive coverage, I’ll take the one who can also punish.
      _________________________________
      Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

25. commandant says:

We’ve got some new audio partners, and we bring you the Habsworld podcast, Playoff preview edition today.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

26. ed says:

I was very critical of therrien on Saturday. I thought price should have played.

But I must say I am a Ryan White supporter and I am very glad he is playing. he brings the exact “in your face” type of aggression we are often missing.

Good call therrien.

27. wjc says:

Remember, for your own well being and mental health, do not watch any intermissions or coaches corner.

You are forbidden also to listen to any play by play. You must use the ‘mute’ button. When the period ends set your clock for 15 minutes then turn the channel or listen to some music to calm you down.

Turn the game on a 15 minutes after 7 to avoid any media hype.

Remember your mental well being is on the line.

Main points as a review…7:15, mute, change channel for 15 minutes.

This should eliminate any whining….Your whining makes me whine about your whining…..you help yourself and me.

You do not need the play by play as you are all experts and have big T.V’s, you know all the players and are quite capable of doing your own analysis.

Remember you were warned!!!

wjc

28. Chuck says:

“We don’t feel the pressure. We apply the pressure.”

This quote sounds like something I’d expect to hear during the upcoming final episodes of Breaking Bad. :)

___________________________________________________

29. Loonie says:

Brian Gionta recently told The Hockey News that the playoffs are “a whole new level”

Now I know he won’t see this so instead of thanking him I’ll just praise him for not using the completely stupid “whole nother level”.

Good on him.

30. John Q Public says:

Neither Goalie has any points or penalties this season.
    The team has no short handed goals.
    What does this mean ?

Tick….Tock…..Tick….Tock…..Tick….Tock…..Tick….Tock…..

• krob1000 says:

Slang Dictionary

tick-tock definition
      [ˈtɪktɑk]

n.
      a heart. (See also ticker.) : My tick-tock is as strong as an ox’s.
      n.
      a watch or clock. (Juvenile.) : Wind your tick-tock before you forget.
      the sound of a large clock ticking