No blockbusters among Habs’ trade-deadline deals

Michel Larocque

Habs goalie Bunny Larocque defends his net against Toronto’s Darryl Sittler during a 1970s game at the Forum.
Denis Brodeur, NHLI via Getty Images

The Canadiens have made 16 deals on NHL’s trade-deadline day since the process began in 1980, beginning in 1981 with goaltender Michel (Bunny) Larocque to Toronto for defenceman Robert Picard.

Here’s today’s story about the Habs trade-deadline history. Read on for the complete list to refresh your memory…

1. hab fan in leaf jungle says:

The Hab mgmt. doesn’t care about what the fans say or think. The games at the Bell are SOLD OUT for the next 100 years. Every season ticket holder has a waiting list of 20 people for that seat. The Hab owners and mgmt. are not idiots. No one on this board really has the brains to run the team. Everyone has 20/20 hindsight. Pollock once said that listening to the fans is a great way to start losing. That’s what’s wrong with the Leafs. They listened to the fans and gave Burke unlimited power and look where the sad-sack Leafs are today. No one wants to play in Montreal except the smurfs and ‘over-the-hill’ players and they demand 1-2 years more on a contract than they would get anywhere else. Cole looks great today but that’s a long contract so check with me in 3 years. Every team screws up (except maybe Detroit). Every team like Carolina, Tampa, Pitts., Colorado, Chicago has tanked for years before winning the Cup. Others have tanked for years and got high picks and still will never win the Cup like the Islanders, Oilers, Leafs, Washington, Florida and on and on. Stop your griping and let’s just see what the future brings us and be thankful that we get to watch and support the team for free. Nobody who gripes here is a season-ticket holder and if you hate watching the team play give up your season’s ticket rights or sell them for double the face value to guys like me when I come to town and want to catch a game to remind me of my childhood days when the Habs were perennial contenders. They will be BACK. On with the TANK for 3 more years.

2. RetroMikey says:

Everybody finally realizes we are a team that will have turmoil for the next number of years.
    Bad days are coming back to this franchise. as I’ve said the past few seasons.
    Sad but true.
    We’ve go to make major trades by the deadline but that will not happen.
    Many questions have to be answered and a complete overhaul has to be done form the organization and down right to the players.
    Players like Markov and Pleks don’t mean nothing to me, they are not our saviours for our club.
    The way I see it. we need young blood on this club, big and having grit although not necessary skilled, teamwork on this club who play hard and consistent every game and not fragile players or floaters (we know who they are).
    So PG, it’s in your hands to make a splash and major deals. just do it!
    Tank I say! Tank!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

3. boing007 says:

Speaking of tanking, the Lightning are very good at it.

Richard R

4. ds says:

This team isn’t as bad as their record shows, unfortunately we lost out on Markov this year and injuries to key personnel hurt us but we are a -10 (GF vs GA), it was around -5 till Gill left. Compare that to TBL (-39), Buffalo (-25), Florida (-19) we aren’t an awful team. More goal scoring will definitely help.

Hopefully a top 5 pick and 2 decent defensemen will put us back in the playoffs next year. Subban, Gorges, Emelin & Diaz are all solid defenders who will only get better.

I hope Kaberle gets dumped anywhere. Zidlicky got traded for a lot, Kaberle is around the same caliber player maybe someone will offer a 3rd or 4th for him or even a prospect.

Same with Bourque. With Hemsky & Ruutu off the market maybe some team will make a good offer for the guy and we can get rid of him. He’s a 40 pt player with a long contract.

• powdered toastmann says:

When your position in the conference standings is dead last it means that you are not very good. A clear indication of the quality of team mgmnt. It aint rocket science.

• ds says:

We’re last but it is not indictive of this team’s ability. We lost a lot of players to injury, had the coaching change through it all we have found a lot of positives going forward, DD-Pac-Cole, Eller’s flashes, Diaz & Emelin have all had good seasons.

I think 2 more solid defensemen (#5 & #6) will solidify this team as well as 1 top 6 winger.

This team will not be a basement dweller next season that’s for sure.

• Pucknut says:

Bourque? 40-50 pt player who’s tough as nails, can fight & plays with an edge. I’d keep him

• ds says:

I dunno for 3.x million/yr for like 4 more years that’s a lot for a guy who likely won’t be in the top 6. But I would trade him for a good offer, not sell him to get rid of him like I would with Kaberle.

5. ProHabs says:

Why do I get the feeling the Habs want to be sellers but nobody really wants what they are selling. I don’t see many teams wanting Campoli. Travis Moen is hurt so teams will shy away from him.

And in the biggest blunder by the team, they put AK on the 4th line and bench him before the deadline just to make sure no team will be interested in him either. I don’t understand why they didn’t play him on the 1st line and on the powerplay, raise his stock and then trade him. Stupid management.

6. kempie says:

A little OT:

Anybody else had trouble with Bell service calls lately? I’ve been trying for a week to get an HD receiver installed. I book the appointment, they don’t show or call, I call back, they have no record of the appointment and reschedule. Repeat loop infinitely. I’m on my 6th appointment now. I talked to them an hour ago. I don’t think they’re coming.

Incredible that such a leader of information technology companies can’t seem to get a txt to a guy in a truck.

• jhab93 says:

ask to speak to a supervisor… give them an earfull they deserve it, all they have to do is a simple task and they can’t even do that.. Threaten to leave until they use save tools

Thats the way the cookie crumbles

7. Hobie Hansen says:

Montreal needs defense badly heading info next season.

8. Kimberly2u says:

I’m still waiting for something exciting to happen…don’t think anything is gonna change

9. PrairieHabber says:

CTV Montreal’s Brian Wilde tweeted the following a little while ago:

TSN 990’s @TonyMarinaro has just told me of a huge scoop we will reveal on Sports Extra on CTV MTL at 6:45. Don’t miss it. #habs

Take it for what it’s worth.

10. habstrinifan says:

Poster just posted that Keith Ballard on long term injury by Canucks to reduce cap hit. Too late now to be relevant but anyone knows why Markov was never on long term injury. Regulations forbade it or because PG just assumed Markov will be back?

11. TorontoHabsFan says:

Remember when people were screaming blue, bloody murder about how Montreal got FLEECED in the D’agostini deal? That once again Habs management had blown it BIG TIME. Remember him? He’s the guy that’s on pace for 24 pts this season in St. Louis.

What ever happened to those people?

12. SKHab says:

Can we have a trade now, please? I have been waiting patiently for quite a while now.

13. otter649 says:

Stand by Your Habs (This ain’t Toronto Baby)……

14. slychard says:

Best lyrics put to song.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

15. RGM says:

NHIC tweeting that the Leafs…get this…are going to have a pre-game ceremony to mark the 50-year anniversary of their 1962 Stanley Cup win. Wow.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

16. twocents says:

I haven’t had the time, or heart, to read posts diligently lately, but have people been talking about the impact of Gill’s departure on Subban’s play? Because, I sure have noticed more of the irresponsible P.K. in his play in the last few games.

Listen, don’t take what I am implying out of context. Gill was not going to be part of the team’s future and the package we received in return was very nice, so I am not remotely suggesting the trade should not have happened. But, I have noticed a difference in Subban’s decision making, after him making some real progress in the weeks leading up to the trade.

A situation like Gill’s most be murder on a manager. The team knows he won’t be playing much longer, knows we are going nowhere this year, knows the compensation is good, knows that the defence corps isn’t strong enough overall to carry such a specialist, yet by moving him their best defenceman’s play has suffered.

If ever there was a time for Larry Robinson to return, it is now with a host of young D on the horizon and young colt Subbie in need of further reining in.

A next best scenario might be to have Gill retire to come and coach our D and so continue his Subbanizing tutelage.

17. habs17 says:

i just don’t see anything good with this team, Defence- worst in the league, Offence- one of the worst in the league. The only positive is our goaltender but who cares when u cant score and have the worst D in the wolrd 2015 we will make the playoffs

u

President of the Scott Gomez Fan Club

(I support Scott Gomez)

18. boing007 says:

I clicked on HIO and was redirected to the Gazette obituary page.

Richard R

19. SmartDog says:

A COUPLE OF WORRIES…

I’m bullish on the future of this team. Worried about a couple of things though, and that’s where these three comments come from:

1. MONTREAL TRADES. Kaberle and Bourque do not look good. Either MAY work out (we can guess but we can’t know), but think about this: when is the last time Montreal traded for a problem guy and they FIXED him? This is not a place that fixes people, it breaks them. On the other hand, from the OTHER end, I’d make Montreal my trade partner every chance I get.

2. VETERAN LEADERSHIP. We have a lot of good young talent on this team. All the more reason to make sure they have the right mentors. Look how Cole has been with Patches and others. Who is the mentor on D? Who is Price’s mentor? Who is the grinder/bottom six mentor? What are guys learning from Gomez and Kaberle? Whatever it is, it’s not how to play hockey at the NHL level. That’s why these guys need to be shed, whatever it takes.

3. PRICE. Speaking of mentors, it was a mistake to let Auld go (I said this when they signed Budaj instead of him), Price was not quite ready to fly on his own, he’s maturing sure but he’s still young. And why are they constantly playing him. Budaj has a similar record. I don’t get this riding the goalie into the ground philosophy. He WANTS to play every game but my kids WANT to each candy every day too. It doesn’t mean it’s what’s best. And another year of Budaj sooooo…. we brought this guy in to play 10 games a year and then let him go? Or to become a solid back-up for this team? Which is it?
    If Price is to become elite, he’d get there faster with an older veteran who has experience to share, tricks even, or at least to say “I’ve been there and here’s what I did/do”.

SD

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• RGM says:

1. Kaberle is clearly a bust. There’s not a ton of occasions when this site is united, but the absolute condemnation of the deal was pretty much unanimous. Bourque may pan out to be a halfway decent player and who knows what we’ll do with the picks.

2. Leadership in the NHL is trending towards lower ages. Toews in Chicago, Brown in LA, etc. I do like having a handful of vets around to give that presence and calming influence. Our D needs it the most as the average age back there is a rather sprite 26.1 (I don’t count Markov in those calculations for obvious reasons) and the only guy over 30 is the dreadful Kaberle. Gorges is the leader of the corps and likely the next team captain, but I think even he would benefit from having a wise old owl like the one we just traded to Nashville.

3. When Halak was traded I think the dumbest thing they did in the aftermath was not bringing in Marty Turco in that veteran mentorship role to Price. Obviously Carey was spectacular last year, and he’d never admit it but I think having a few extra games off during the season would have done him that much better during the series against the Bruins. Turco would have allowed for that sort of thing, on the cheap, without the Habs brass having to worry about giving Price the night off so that a career journeyman could tend the pipes for a night. They had a chance to get Biron for dirt cheap as well. I am not saying anything negative about Auld or Budaj because there’s really nothing to say – they haven’t been in enough games to truly help or harm the team. The Habs rode Carey the same way Calgary rides Kipper and how the Devils used to ride Brodeur, and it just left not enough gas in the tank for the post-season.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• fastfreddy says:

Good post Smart Dog, I’m in total agreement.

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

20. RGM says:

Brian Wilde of CTV Montreal is tweeting that the Habs had a deal in place last summer to trade Scott Gomez but Gomez exercised his NTC rights to void it. It would be interesting to know the teams & players involved.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

I was under the impression it involved the Islanders. I never did hear the names though.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

That sounds like a lie to make management look a little better, but if it is true then PG and Molson are clearly stupid for not threatening Gomez with 3 years in the AHL if he didn’t waive that NTC

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
      – Sean Bonjovi

• RGM says:

If you’ve ever read any of Wilde’s tweets you’ll know that he has zero interest in making the current regime look good.

———————–
        GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
        “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• otter649 says:

Wilde also freelances as a DR giving informed opinions on knees & surgeries based on his career as an athlete with knee issues from time to time …..

So he is the Recchi of Radio!

• RGM says:

Worked well for Recchi, right?

———————–
            GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
            “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

21. TorontoHabsFan says:

Grant Clitsome is on waivers. Pierre Gauthier, please make this happen.

That is all.

22. slychard says:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

I don’t know how Nashville would be able to afford signing Suter, Weber and Radulov this off season. Keeping in mind they just broke the bank for Rinne.

Perhaps as 24Cups suggested below, offering AK for Radulov’s right may be a very quick way to bring in some high end talent.

Throw in the mix our potential high draft choice, Yakupov, Grigorenko etc.., add in the return of Andrei Markov and this could be quite enticing for Radulov.

Of course goes without saying, having Gomez is always an attraction for bringing in high end talent. :)

• Stev.R says:

Is radulov really worth a lot of money? He put up 50 points once 5 years ago and has been in the KHL since.

He is kicking ass and taking names in the KHL this year. Yes, I think he is worth good money, worth more than AK at worst.

• 24 Cups says:

He has one year left on entry level contract. Now there is no way he’s coming back for $850,000 but a new deal could be worked out (the same thing was done for Semin although I hesitate to type his name during this discussion point. Really bad karma).

That could turn out to be a bonus seeing we would have him locked up for three or four years.

Yah agree Steve, there is no way he comes back without a new contract in hand. There is of course the minor detail that he is in Year 1 of a 2 year contract with his current KHL team. He does claim he has a verbal agreement allowing him to leave after this current season.

• Stev.R says:

I think 3-4m is what he would be worth.

• Chrisadiens says:

I had the same thought yesterday. Great minds. Don’t forget Emelin. We’d have quite the Russian connection there.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

Your great mind has mind melded with Steve, 24Cups then, I am just running with his idea. Come on Chris, you know i can’t come up with this stuff!

• frozengolf says:

I don’t think we want Radulov, the guy is a head case. Didn’t anyone see that clip from the KHL earlier this month that shows Radulov hitting his coach with his stick? BRUTAL!! We do not need another head case here.

_________________________________________________________
      “We know that hockey is where we live, where we can best meet and overcome pain and wrong and death. Life is just a place where we spend time between games.”

• otter649 says:

A few years back Radulov may have cost Nashville a playoff series win when he jumped on Arnott & concussed him celebrating a goal putting him out of the series…..

Tonight the Belleville Bulls take on the best Junior team in Canada, The London Knights.

I am going to watch Tinordi play for London, one of our prospect draft picks. Let you know how he looks tonight.

25. Rainrocket16 says:

I am feeling the love on this site today! LOL, very entertaining. Relax folks, we suck and can only go uphill from here. Who knows what will happen in 2 days and honestly who really cares! I just hope we make right decisions and focus on the future. This season is over, I hope our youngsters don’t want to leave after this years drama.

26. jimmy shaker says:

Man i can’t believe how much better kaberle, campoli, weber, diaz (picard last year) have been than MAB……great job brass letting this cheap cap hit, better than all these bums combined guy go. At least he will be back if not at the deadline next year, then in july when free agency kicks off. Oh and can price now take a seat/rest and play budaj for a game or two…. or does he have to play 74 games as stipulated in his contract or something.

Shaker

27. Psycho29 says:

Keith Ballard put on long term injury by the Canucks, frees up $4.2 million in salary.

Edit: and Brian Rolston is put on waivers by the Isles.

28. slychard says:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

Ian is a nice guy. Un vrai. But he doesn’t realize he is the pot calling the kettle black when he rants about Quebec and language.

• kerrgte says:

come on. enough of your personal opinions of other people.

• CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

This isn’t an opinion, its an observation of what someone else puts into ‘print’ when they express their thoughts here. Its obvious and documented. Go back and read some posts…

Or just wait for the next one that will inevitably appear.

• CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

This is exactly what i was saying. I never said he was a bad guy, i said it was probably not malicious. But it seems every 2nd or 3rd post is some angry diatribe about Quebec laws and against calls bilingualism, and they appear anti-francophone, whether they are or not, that’s how they read.

• LA Loyalist says:

Are you freaking serious?

The Quebec language laws are parochial, paranoid, destructive and prejudicial. The entire intent is to create a mechanism for blackmailing the rest of Canada, supposedly the equal partner of Quebec, into financing whatever boondoggle the bureaucrats can come up with, and like fools, they’ve done it.

AND, because you’re an education major who apparently doesn’t know sh*t, the Levesque government didn’t get power because the people bought their ideology and thought they were great, it was a protest vote against a history of corruption in the Bourassa and previous Duplessis governments, just like Italy when the communists get big votes because the people are protesting against corruption. Doesn’t mean they are communists.

So when I or anyone else complains about Quebec laws, it’s in sympathy for the regular people who are held down by their politicians who sold them out and continue to sell them out to this day and each day that passes diminishes Quebec’s ability to be successful in the world’s marketplace and culture.

If that doesn’t change all that will be left is the broken bridges (which tell you all you need to know about how things work in Quebec) and the carriage rides around vieux Montreal.

It’s why I left and why many, many talented smart Quebecois left.

There’s a ton of them here in L.A. It’s just sad.

So read some history before you come to conclusions.

Montreal could have been the Geneva of North America, instead it’s an economic and political backwater.

• H.Upmann says:

I agree with this. When friends and colleagues of mine establish lives elsewhere in Canada and are doing well (or at least able to work and live in society), it irritates me that they still feel entitled to dropping separatist chit-chat… when really in my view, they are enjoying their full rights as Canadians to take advantage or seek opportunity elsewhere. It doesn’t work the other way around. However, learned my lesson early on and feel it’s useless to call them out on it.

• HardHabits says:

LAL. It’s like this. I can criticize my parents. But if you do I will be offended and take you to task. You would do the same if the tables were turned.

I hear a lot of ex-Quebeckers speak of their love for Montreal but their hatred for Quebec all the time. People love bashing Quebec. One only need go to the comments section of the Globe and Mail to hear the vitriol.

I see it all the time when people complain about Quebec, as you just did. They tend to malign their criticism with some crap about Italy and the Communists, or Germany and the Fascists, or go back to Duplessis, to promote their own closed minded views. It’s too simplistic.

Montreal rules. I wouldn’t live anywhere else in North America. For better or worse.

So the rumours of you moving to Tuktoyaktuk are not true?

• The Jackal says:

I agree, and by maligning Quebec you fail to understand the issues that are important to them. And by the way, Quebec protects its minorities and upholds minority language rights, its the ROC that likes to pretend there is nothing wrong with their relationship to QC.

• mb says:

@ The Jackal –

You have a point there. I think that many people just don’t realize that Quebec laws are a way to defend French language, not a way to attack English language. Too few people seem to see the difference, though.

• LA Loyalist says:

Well, that’s your choice and truth be told I’m jealous.

If I were single, and not particularly ambitious, I’d still be in my condo in Vieux Montreal. There are things I miss terribly. Actually I wore my Schwartz’s cap today :-)

But the problem is as you get older and have a family you want more opportunity for your kids. Do I like L.A.? Not particularly, it’s just as effed up as Quebec in its own way.

If I could live anywhere I’d live in Paris or Switzerland or maybe Whistler. I hope Montreal continues to work out for you, as I said, I’m jealous.

• mb says:

Quebec laws are meant to protect a language that is otherwise likely to disappear. Is it okay that it takes more place than fixing bridges and roads? Absolutely not, I can’t argue about that. But saying that Quebecois are narrow-minded because they care to protect their cultural roots, is ridiculous.

Call me whatever you want, but there’s no way I think these laws, or bill 101, is the result of pure intolerance. Quebec students are “forced” to go to french school, that’s a fact. But they are also “forced” to attend english classes. It’s not like the government is denying the importance of english language in our society and it’s not like Quebecois inforcing language laws are anti-anglo. And by the way, just because someone firmly believes in inforcing laws to protect French language, doesn’t make them a separatist or a “rest of Canada hater”.

I say learn as many languages as you want, heck I speak three and I’m attempting to learn a fourth one as we speak. That’s my choice. But bottom line is that Quebec is a bilingual province, whether you like it or not. Can you provide me one good reason to say that there is anything wrong in making bilinguism mandatory in a bilingual province?

To me, there’s nothing wrong with implanting laws to protect a language. Like I said, it IS a problem that it has to be to the detriment of other important aspects of our province (i.e. roads, health care, and many more). But Quebec laws are not bad. It’s pretty sad that people see it such as a bad thing, rather than seeing it as a possibility to broaden our horizons.

• ont fan says:

So why be so thin skinned? If you don’t agree with a post, give a 1 or 2 sentence rebuttal and move on. Whether we are wrong or right, I don’t think it’s bigotry.

30. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Keeps deleting the threads… no profanity, no personal insults… just criticism of this paper… peculiar.

Who are the language police again, exactly?

• HardHabits says:

This place is moderated by people with an agenda.

• CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

It would seem so. The articles in the paper are often nauseating enough, but internet censorship as well?

• HardHabits says:

There are many who are trying their darnedest to institute more constraints on the Internet. SOPA being the latest salvo.

The Internet is like a virtual wild west.

One need only go back to the Water Pistol Fight at the Big O.K. Corral thread to understand what I am talking about. I think it was the only time in HIO history where a complete comment section was memory holed.

• joeybarrie says:

I can’t imagine there being an agenda in this website. Its not the CIA. No one cares enough.

• CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

The Montreal Gazette has a pro-anglo, anti-language law, anti-sovereignist, anti-quebecois power bias. It has to to serve its niche market. No one else will buy this garbage paper except those that cant speak French. Read it once or twice if you have not, but please… don’t pay for it.

31. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

I purposely pointed him out for the reason stated – everyone likes him, so the comments go un-criticized. The fact that you say my argument could have picked up support if I pointed to someone else in fact illustrates my point. Further, I specifically said I did not think he had malicious intent, but that the emotion behind the comments was obvious. I was then personally insulted for being young dumb and ignorant by him.
    I dont give a rats rectum who likes him, or who likes me. I didnt even say I dislike him. I have plenty of friends who say ignorant things but are good people.

32. AndyF says:

I’ve been a huge proponent of making sure the Habs trade this year’s slim chances to make the playoffs in exchange for future benefits arising from the draft. Ok, call it “tanking”, then…

If they can trade Moen(?), Campoli, AK, Kaberle, and Darche… and somehow buy out or demote Gomez, what’s left is pretty darned encouraging.

The Habs have a terrific leadership core in Cole, Gionta, Markov, Gorges, White, and Pleks. Add to that scoring potential in Pacioretty, DD, Bourque, Eller. And consider the strength of our D squad in 2 years with Emelin, Markov, Gorges, PK, Tinordi, Diaz and Beaulieu.

If they can manage to convert older assets into draft picks, then the Habs of 2014-2017 can be looking pretty good. These low points are how Cups are built.

Fail for Nail (or better)

• CanadienBoy says:

Better Radek Faksa 6′ 3″ 203 lbs center 18 year old rising very fast to top 5 Kitchener Ranger finally a big center not russian good for Pleck

• 24 Cups says:

Faksa has been rapidly moving up the charts since Christmas. He would certainly be right behind Yakupov, Grigorenko and Forsberg in terms of forwards. Then there’s Dumba, Murray and Trouba on defense which gives us our top seven picks. I just hope some teams take Dmen before forwards to increase our chances of getting one of the four guys I just mentioned.

• Stev.R says:

Galchenyuk is still considered to be higher than Faksa. Faksa is a big two way playmaker, Galchenyuk is potential gamebreaker.

• 24 Cups says:

SR – I don’t include him on any lists until he plays some games and shows he has full recovered. I can’t see using a top five pick on a guy who is in the same boat as Markov. Way too risky.

His question mark is the fact he hasn’t played hockey all year due to severe knee injury.

• Stev.R says:

Knee injuries at that age are less severe than when they are older. They heel quicker and stronger. Somebody in the top 10 will take a chance on him.

33. habs17 says:

i miss J.M, the worst move we did this year was fire martin i was againts it from the start, the guy knew how to get everything out of the talent we had, i beleive that if he was still here we’d be in the playoff race, look at our D its awful.

President of the Scott Gomez Fan Club

(I support Scott Gomez)

• Trisomy 21 says:

I think it was Bob McKenzie who said it the best. Martin was the best guy available to get them out of the slump. No offense to Cunnyworth, but Martin was just experienced. Maybe waiting until the summer would have been better. I was big on getting him out of here until I realized what McKenzie said might just be right. Oh well, we weren’t going to make playoffs anyways, at least we’re looking at the 3rd overall pick right now.

• habs_54321 says:

when they fired him they were playing pretty good to i believe they just barely lost a very good game to philly and had won i believe the 2 or 3 games before that, the ship was being righted and the pp was starting to click and we were i believe one point out of 8th place….. in comes gauthier to fire martin just before the game that could have vaulted us into 8th place making it the most important game of the year at the time? the firing creates a major controversy and distraction making the habs trickle down eventually to 15th place instead of the 8th-7h place we were destined to be in…..

34. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Yes, you do live in a free country to speak as you please. So who are you claiming is DICTATING to you or anyone how to SPEAK? It is a job qualification to be bilingual, not just for this position, but for millions. Is Canadian Customs “RACIST”?

Regarding business, is it wise to not have a coach capable of speaking French when this is what your team is based on?

You have some disgust toward french protecting their culture, maybe you lost a job or a business in the 70’s i dont know. I am sorry if you did, and i meant that. But the economic condition of the average member of the French majority was and is better than before the Quiet Revolution, so dont resent them for it. Your pent up hostility toward Quebec has been obvious since I started reading your posts.

35. drivefor25 says:

canadienfan, you are way out of line. Stop trying to bait Ian on the language issue

Fan since ’71

36. Stuck_in_To. says:

Woodshed 101. Kudos.

37. third generation haber says:

Pierre LeBrun just stated a 50-50 chance AK46 is headed to Nashville.

Not sure how I feel. It was 4 years ago that he had his big season and hasn’t been the same since the concussion. I doubt we could get an impact forward for next season in the deal.

On the other hand, paying him over 3 mil per season to score less than 20 goals is painful for a guy who’s primary task is scoring.

I guess we have to trade him if the return seems reasonable.

j.p. murray

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Pierre Lebrun is just guessing.

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
      – Sean Bonjovi

• christophor says:

Meh. For a 1st and Austin Watson then ok.

• 24 Cups says:

Here’s a tough question. If we were able to trade AK46 to Nashville, should we ask for a 1st round pick or the rights to Radulov? Knowing full well that he may never play for Montreal (if he doesn’t, he can’t play for any other NHL team).

• HardHabits says:

I’d rather the pick than the rights to Radulov. I’d even prefer signing AK than the rights to Radulov. Now a pick and the rights and we got a deal.

• christophor says:

a 1st OR a 2nd and rights to Raddy?

• HardHabits says:

A 1st and the rights or a 2nd, a prospect and the rights.

• Stev.R says:

We already have their second :) in 2012
            Ottawa has their third.
            Nashville has Toronto’s third.

I think the rumors are saying the odds of Radulov returning are pretty good. I think he is getting a little overrated on this board. He’s not an 80 point guy, but he would be pretty good and I wouldn’t mind getting him. If we trade Kos we will need a new top 6 scorer and FA this year is super weak.

Edit: I always found Lebrun to be somewhat reliable

• 24 Cups says:

Dave – That’s way too much for Nashville to give up for an underachieving player who only has 12 goals.

Forsberg, yes, for sure. Ak46, no way. That’s why I posed the question as being a choice between one or the other.

Do we know who Radulov has for his agent? Would hope the Habs could have Markov perhaps make a phone call as a friend to Radulov before we make that trade. The potential upside of such a trade requires one to give it serious thought.

• Trisomy 21 says:

He’s getting on my nerves lately, with this and the PK thing. He says dumb things on air before he thinks, then has to clarify on twitter.

Watch Habs draft another Terry Ryan with their high pick.

• ZepFan2 says:

It could be worse. We could draft another Alexandre Daigle.

———————————————————————-
      Turn on the tank, the party’s over…

• third generation haber says:

I believe there’s a lot less of that now. The top prospects are actually going straight to the nhl and the scouting is much more in-depth. The biggest problem these days is whether or not they’ll move to Russia.

j.p. murray

• third generation haber says:

I believe we will draft Filip Forsberg. He will be in our opening night line-up next season. He’s drawing comparisons to Mats Sundin, and could be our stud for the next 10 years!

j.p. murray

• naweed235 says:

as long as they don’t draft another Price…
      Budam Tsss!

• CanadienBoy says:

Should they be drafting a center, well there is a young kid with the Kitchener ranger who could end up in the top 5 in June even top 3 Radek Faksa 6′ 3″ 203 lbs 18 years old as far as Roy protege he is already playing like AK and losing ground

So apparantly Columbus adamant NYR include McDonaugh in the Nash package. Extrapolate away the implications to Montreal!