Nine Habs practise at Wachovia

They were having fun, obviously: goalie Carey Price spars with teammate Mathieu Darche during optional practice this afternoon at Wachovia Center.
Pierre Obendrauf, Gazette

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Gionta/Halak/Moore

The Canadiens had nine players on the ice this morning at the Wachovia Center: Glen Metropolit, Paul Mara, Ben Maxwell, Benoit Pouliot, Mathieu Darche, Jaroslav Spacek, Carey Price, Sergei Kostitsyn and Ryan O’Byrne.

Few players were in the dressing room after the skate – Metro, Darche, O’Byrne and Price.

The Canadiens and the league had Brian Gionta, Jaro Halak and Dominic Moore available for formal interviews afterward.

It was a light session on the ice: Darche took a turn wearing Price’s gloves to try to stop a shot or two, to less than stellar reviews from their owner.

The audio links here are the news of the day.

1. Bill J says:

The only fool is the one who keeps bringing Price up like it is a topic to discuss right now.

The same fool who thought Halak was the goalie who won the game in the greatest comeback in history (after saying you just watched that game)

The same fool that thought K-Hab was agreeing with your opinion about Price, meanwhile you where too blind to see K-Hab is a PRICE fan (just look at his avatar picture)

Can’t you just enjoy the playoffs ?  Your talent is quite obviously NOT in posting on a Habs site, due to the fact you really do not know what you are talking about.

Congrats on being a Habs fan, however if your going to try & have intelligent conversations with people about the Habs. You really should just READ the posts here on this blog, you will become informed about the team you claim to have loved for all these years.

2. wotever says:

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

3. Habs4ever Fan says:

Season is not over

We will find ways to win!

4. Habs4ever Fan says:

Police should tazer these dumb bums who feel the need to loot.

I for one give permission to any store owner to shoot any fools that break in to their store

5. Habs4ever Fan says:

You’re a fool if you can honestly say you’d rather see Price in a pressure situation than Halak

Price can’t handle pressure at this point in his career

Now stop being in denial and go back to watch Studio 54

6. Bill J says:

LMFAO – Zing & Toucher!!

7. Habby2CU says:

Check out this piece I wrote back on April 13 in response to Jack Todd’s column in which he declared with 100% certainty that the Habs would get smashed by the Caps. It’s called: “Why the Montreal Canadiens will win the Stanley Cup (Or How I Learned to Hate Jack Todd in a Single Sports Column)”

I sent it to Jack Todd himself and he dismissed it as “ridiculous.”

8. Exit716 says:

Remenda came home to Canada for a year or so for family reasons but has since returned to work for the Sharks.

9. jimmy shaker says:

#1 on the hate club list is McGuire

#2 for me is Laviolette….I hate him almost as much as Lindsay (lindy) Ruff

#3 Healy and Galley

#4 Jack Edwards/Andy Brickley and Rick Jeanneret

#5 Derek Roy, Letang and Bobby Clarke

10. says:

I hear ya, it’s like the same idiots who start talking about Carey Price and Jaroslav Halak.  Morons, and losers, all of them.

They Call Me Shane

11. mike g says:

Yea, Doc gets pretty annoying after a while…

Bob Cole is really struggling with idenifying players too..His age is catching up to him, and the game is passing him by like an F1 car. Even his goal-calls aren’t up to par.

Too bad, he loves the Habs and used to be great.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

12. Habit in the west says:

Here you go, I was never on, but I was still cheering for them, and I will continue, but I have a belief that if they play O’Byrne instead of Bergeron, it changes the element. He needs to take Danny Briere and run his head through the Boards, and that will start to cast a little doubt with Philly. He should be out there, and should have in the first game to take care of the front of the net.

13. MontrealAtheist says:

Yeah … and help ourselves with free booze, shoes and hockey jerseys once someone has smashed the store windows into pieces. Go Habs Go !!!

14. coachdoug says:

It is funny how Pierre is the mark and guys like Healy seek to be “insightful”…Friedman is my favorite since he is very neutral…I also think Kevin Weeks is good too…

Down here in the states we are stuck with Verses and Doc Emerick…The whole verses crew has been hoping the Habs would lose each series…really bad at identifying players during the game…

“The ‘System’ will not stop until it owns Lord Stanley’s Cup…All hail the System!”

15. Habit in the west says:

Hate Healy, love Milbury, I know he wants to punch him out. He gave him a head rub during one broadcast.

16. Habit in the west says:

Agreed, but who will make more of a difference out there? Is anyone really thinking that Bergeron is the right player on the point for this team against Philly?

17. roblack says:

Having watched the Hawks vs Sharks yesterday,I got thinking that once we get past Philly we will match up good against Chicago. Id love to see two original six teams in the finals,but Im thinking the way the Hawks jump right in and start blasting away from everywhere is just the kind of team Halak does great against. Hes the type of goalie that needs a bunch of shots early to get him involved. Corse,we would prefer the shots arnt great scoring chances,keep them to the outside,but get Jaro into the game early. I really like Price,but I have no confidence in him,I wonder if he’ll ever find his game. The Habs play with confidennce when Jaro’s got their back,last nights game excluded.

18. pic1983 says:

Yeah hes probably the actual WORST.  At least milbury SOMETIMES makes sense.

19. Ayan_SB says:

Carey Price, our new enforcer?

20. mike g says:

Yeah boy!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

21. mike g says:

Trust me when I say that Healy is the worst..

I watch a ton of hockey, about 3 games per night. I’m familiar with all the commentators in the league. Believe me when I say that for someone who played the game, and worked for the NHLPA (even had a top position there), he’s horrible. Nashville and Phoenix commentators are easier to listen to..

He just takes dumb/meaningless clips, and tries to prove one of his thoeries/weak/dumb points with them. Last night he was blabbing on about MTL not being able to generate any scoring chances. It was early in the 2nd period, and he showed a clip of the Habs behind the Philly net in the 1st period. You see a bit of cycling, and then the puck goes to the point. The clip stops, and he says there’s no offense from MTL. The idiot used such a terrible clip, because if he continues that clip Spacek got that puck and got a great shot on net, one of the 2 key blocker saves that Leighton made in the 1st period.

Anyone who watched the whole game probably noticed…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

22. TOEmastro says:

they could lose 10-0, it’s still only counted as a single loss.

The no-quit habs will rebound, you’ll see

23. Paulin98C says:

Let me put this straight to everyone here.

HABS have NOT won more than 3 games in a row all season long (1-2 exceptions maybe?). They have played a little better than .500 all season long… and even through round 1 and 2. They played great and awesome games and then showed did not show up for the next game… its been like this all season long. Now that we reach conference finals the fans are expectiung simply too much from them. You don’t need to win 5-6 in a row in the playoff… you just have to win 4 before your opponent does. This team will bounce back and keep playing .500 throughout and thats fine with me cause thats all you need to win a cup.. play better than .500 without losing 3-4 in a row. I BELIEVE!!! HABS are prepared to play all of the possible 28 games. As long as you keep winning game 7, we are in business.

My two cents.

24. mike g says:

Well, what do you wanna do? The season’s over, the ride was nice, but the Flyers are gonna kill us. I think we were very lucky to win 2 rounds….

….but ummmm, ………….got any tickets for game 3?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

25. coachdoug says:

Milbury and JR gave Healy a run for his money during the Olympics…I used to love JR’s sound bites as a player but what a disaster as a commentator…Milbury is NBC’s Cherry…

26. Habs4ever Fan says:

Its unbelievable.

We lose one game and all these bandwagon jumpers (including Jack Todd) have bailed.

Makes me sick. These are the same fools who are calling me and asking me for extra pairs of tickets because they want to go to a game….but never called me for a game duing the year.

Habs in 6 or 7!

27. mike g says:

Does anyone else hate Glen Healy as much as I do?

He has to be the worst sports personality on tv. Worse that Benoit Brunet, sadly. It’s crazy, everything the guy says is either stupidity or his version of “Hi, I’m Pierre McGuire”. He always makes idiotic comments, shows uselss clips to prove his stupidity, and constantly shows us why TSN threw him in the garbage can…

During last series vs the Pens, he showed both teams coming onto the ice. Pittsburgh was running and jumped onto the ice. The Habs came out walking, and stepped normally onto the ice. In the 2nd period, he starts blabbing about why those clips proved why PIT won that game and how they were so well prepared. Funny that he waited for the 2nd period to say it, cuz MTL scored 1st in the game and led 1-0. And it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that at the Mellon Arena, the visitors entrance onto the ice is smaller than a closet door. The Habs players had to practically turn sideways to even fit through it…

He’s just a total douchebag, and since the Habs are on CBC we have to live with his disgusting and horrible analysis. He makes me dream of McGuire, even though Pierre is a little creepy….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

28. PeterStone says:

didnt hear it .. but, he is a Montrealer, who did play for the Flyers .. so maybe he forgot he stopped playing ?

29. Drive_For_25 says:

So let’s just forget about that game last night and get pumped for tomorrow’s.  You can try and analyze it all you want but the fact was we just didn’t have it and got beat.  The only point worth making is that MAB is the worst player to ever wear a Canadiens sweater and should not play AT ALL in this series.  Your basically making O’Byrne feel absolutely useless if we don’t play him against a physical team like Philly, which is no good for his confidence.  I say if we don’t see MAB again for the rest of the year, however long that is, it will be a good thing for us all.  Come on JM, make the right call!!!

GO  HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30. PeterStone says:

the brain surgeons know that PP stats dont count in Plus Minus

31. Habit in the west says:

Hey, sorry to all, I crapped on Les Habitants chances in the first 2 rounds, only to have a goaltender save the day. I have a question to start some discussion. Why is Ryan O’Byrne not playing? Especially against Philly, you give him the assignment to rough up all players in front of the net that RUN Halak. Tell me, are you going to give that assignment to Bergeron? Here’s an interesting stat. O’Byrne is a +1, doesn’t play on the PP, and brings a size, physical, and a shot blocking element to the game. Bergeron is a -10, has 5 points, so it actually leaves him bringing a -5 to his game since the playoffs started. My question is, why didn’t the brain surgeons figure this out before this series started? Does anyone think they’ll figure this out in time?

32. Caballero says:

Naw, we will just destroy our own city if we win a game.

33. mike g says:

I don’t wanna hurt their fans, they’re just regular people like us…

I wanna see someone throw Danny Briere a beer, straight in his face.

That’s worth 10$ to see at the Bell, not the price of the beer.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

34. pic1983 says:

Based on everything ive read today, and I have read A LOT today (slow day at work, what can i say), you’d swear philadelphia has already eliminated us and punched their ticket to the finals…

I love how even after knocking off Washington and Pittsburgh, these habs still cant get any respect.

35. Kalcon says:

Did anyone else hear Gary Galley’s comment during the 1st period right after Leighton made a blocker save on a deflection off Hartnell’s stick?

He said, “After scoring that first goal, we really needed a big save like that.”

Did I misunderstand the context in which he said it or was it as I thought…a subconscious slip of the tongue which showed his affection for the Flyers?

It sounded similar to when Don Cherry said “we got ’em this time” during a Bruins-Habs’ playoff game early in his TV career.

36. coachdoug says:

I bet Warrior wishes he would change too…If he was previously a “sniper” with that awesome wrist shot he is now using a paint ball gun…At least Kovalev could always hit the target…AK46 is now part of the cast of “Lost” and “The Invisible Man” (The Belarusian version)…

37. Habs4ever Fan says:

Nice to see the boys having fun!

Especially Carey Price.

They need to be limber for tomorrows big game!

38. zooziff says:

Part of what Jack Todd said was true. After all, was it not Bob Gainey that traded away Huet and handed over the keys to Carey Price? We all know how invaluable that playoff sacrifice (ahem), experience turned out.

How many shots has the team been blocking per game? How many saves has Halak made on average per game? When any team gives up this many opportunities they are getting outworked by the other club – end of story.

Gainey took some chances and assembled a club that was more resilient than the last group (Koivu getting an exemption because he was the poster child of courage and resilience).

The Habs can still win this series. Halak must play like he did the previous two series, and the team must capitalize on its chances.

39. pmaraw says:

Surely we will welcome the Flyers with open arms when they come to Montreal.  Surely we wont take any retribution on the Media’s vans, surely we won’t sink to their level!  There’s no doubt in my mind we wont toss beer on their players or spit on 10 year olds.  Lastly I know we won’t be pouring beer into the engine of their charter flight.

40. Curtis O Habs says:

Gomez needs to finish a scoring chance.  Marc-Andre Bergeron needs to hold the zone more often on the power play.  Ryan O`Bynrne needs to dress.  P.K. Subban needs some shifts up front with Gomez and Gionta.  POOliot needs to sit.  SK74 needs to dress.

41. habs001 says:

we have a forward line up that unless the opposition goalie gives up bad goals or we get flukey ones we score 1-2 goals a game…we get no goals from the d…unless this changes we are really a 90-94 point team and if we played any of the 29 teams in the playoff it would be a 6-7 game series…

Nothing more to be said, he won’t be around in the fall’!

43. Curtis O Habs says:

4.)Gomez shoes no finish a breakaway.

44. Bugs says:

At least these guys are smilin.

There were no smiles when Gill and Pronger fought.

Take my word for it; I was there. And I still can’t move.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward:

45. Fansincebirth says:

I’m pretty sure the Habs knew they were in a suckfest last night for whatever reason but no sense dwelling on the game. Learn from it and take it to them tomorrow night.

Good to see the mood being a little light in the practise…..that’s how we were able to beat the Caps and Pens by not taking themselves too seriously. We were, afterall, nothing but speedbumps and such….

46. JustSomeguy says:

Todd was OK when he worked on the city desk.

But, somewhere along the way, he started to build up the persona of being The Guy Who Tells It Like It Is and Won’t Kiss Butt. After that, it started going downhill to the point where he sounds like some crotchety geezer who’s been there done that and doesn’t like what he sees.

Such a massive chip on his shoulder. Perhaps he sepnds so much time mocking and belittling because his attempts at becoming a literary giant have been stymied by his inability to get that novel he’s been working on for years … out the door?

47. lenny says:

Pouliot had such promise started out great and now is nowhere to be found

48. zozotheclown says:

I would have wanted them to have a full practice as well, btu I guess at this point in the season, what more can you learn from practice anyway. You learn way more in the video room, so hopefully they get some ideas on how to take Philly down in there.

49. Shublips says:

Well at least there are still smiles at practice.  I am very curious to see what adjustments JM makes for game 2.

The Habs need to make major changes if they are going to compete in this series and I’m not sure what changes they can make.  Getting their speed engaged would be a good start.  Putting O’Byrne in the lineup would be another.

What do you all think the Habs need to do in order to be able to compete better against the Flyers?

Habs on Facebook: on Twitter: on

50. Fansincebirth says:

I have to agree with ya.

MAB just scares the hell out of me when he touches the puck in our end. If there is any sign of pressure, he panics and either the closest person gets the puck (he becomes sweater blind) or he ices the puck.

Pouliot, I have absolutely no idea where the hell he’s gone to. I had a huge man crush on him after he came over. Now, not so much.

51. cautiousoptimist says:

Stubbs, Boone and Hickey are too professional to publicly rag on a colleague.  But you’re right: not all Gazette sports writers are created equal…

1. – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  52. Storm Man says:

One would think unless the boys are eating philly cheesesteaks at Geno’s I would understand that stuff is yummy.

53. lenny says:

u would think that all players would be on the isce today….I know I would be aftger last night

54. lenny says:

never liked him never will, can’t understand how he is allowed to write that dripple. Atleast he didnt have his heros and zeros of the week…

55. Storm Man says:

Hmmm only 8 guys on the ice, I guess JM has no need to change the game plan for Tuesday.

56. lenny says:

I like MAB but he needs to sit. I would understand keeping him in if he was scoring a ton of goals on the PP, but he isnt. my 2 cents. sit MAB and Pouliot. Put in Obyrne and yes SK…why? Why not? SK has something to prove and may be goos for some timely goals….

57. petemoss says:

Holy crap!

Does ANYONE enjoy Jack Todd’s articles???
    All that man does is spew out garbage. From writing in detail how ugly Scott Gomez is, or continuing to rip on Gainey long after the man is gone.
    I would love to know what Stubbs or Hickey thought of his MMQB!
    Such unbelievable garbage….

58. cautiousoptimist says:

Hey all, haven’t chimed in for a while, but I didn’t think Philly played like a bunch of superstars out there.  The Habs beat themselves with 1) stupid penalties, 2) awful high-risk passes that resulted in giveaways nearly every time, and 3) a decision — as opposed to an inability — to clear the net.  They didn’t even try to get orange shirts out of the crease.

If they were going to lose, I’m glad they got blown out and humiliated, as opposed to losing 2-1.  Hopefully this’ll light a fire under them.

1. – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  59. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey we work as a team, and we win as a team. we play 5 man defence – not just 2.

I don’t know what you guys have been smoking, but down at the bottom of this page a few of you have suggested that SK will be in the lineup??

I have a better chance of getting a call from the habs – and I’m 45 and not a great skater.

60. mike g says:

Why isn’t anyone hatin’ on AK46 today?

Once again, he took a selfish penalty, whiffed on a totally open net, and was invisible the rest of the time..

It really seems like every game, if he’s decides he’s going to have an impact, it’s either for a negative reason or to give us false hope and totally botch a great scoring chance….

Seriously AK, change those Warrior sticks. You’ve used them all year, and every game you whiff on at least one great scoring chance. That’s not even counting when you miss passes, etc….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

3 Days After Birth, The Diaper Has To be Changed

New parents are all the same. They get caught up in the emotion of
    the birth of being a new TEAM and no one remembered to change the
    diaper for 3 days. It was a mess.!!!

From the first, a penalty to
    Gomez leading to the first goal, it was a complete mess until the last
    whistle blew. For 60 minutes we forgot how we got to the finals.

forgot to play as a team and everyone started to play as an individual
    star. Were they all reading there hero press clippings and forgot they
    were in the WAR for Stanley? Did they forget that they have won nothing
    yet but the fans hearts.?

This team needed and received a good old fashion *** wiping.

large lesson was taught to them last night. This is the Stanley Cup
    that we are competing for. The most revered prize in all of the
    sporting world, to be won by the team who knows how to play extra
    effort and sacrifice style every second of the 60 minutes. Yes, we took
    a horrific beating. Not by the other team but by our own attitude and
    poor play.

I just know that this was exactly what needed to
    happen to get our heads out of the clouds. This game was a great wake
    up call for those that have not been this far before.

night things will be very much different from this group of players. We
    all know what this team is made of. Nothing is ever given at this time
    of the season, it is earned by leaving it all out on the ice every

Here endeth the lesson, and it was well understood for Tuesday night.

I have no doubt that we will be coming home with a split and a clean diaper!