Nilan insists Boston mobster didn’t get his Stanley Cup ring

Chris Nilan says he doesn’t know where convicted Boston mobster James “Whitey” Bulger got a Canadiens Stanley Cup ring, but insists it wasn’t from him.

“Either someone gave it to him or he commissioned someone to have a ring made,” Nilan told The Gazette on Tuesday. “I don’t even know what it looks like, to be honest with you … who knows? I know they put a picture out there of a ring, but I don’t know if that’s the ring. I mean, anybody can put a picture of a Stanley Cup ring out there with my name on it, right? Because people have taken pictures of it … but I have both rings with me right now.”

Nilan was part of the Canadiens’ 1986 Stanley Cup team and actually received two rings from that championship. Nilan gave his original ring to his father and when former Canadiens general manager Serge Savard found out what Nilan had done had another one made for him.

“I have both rings here … I have my father’s ring, because I’m getting it re-sized,” Nilan said Tuesday. “He gave it to my son (Christopher). And I have my other ring.”

Bulger, a mobster who terrorized South Boston in the 1970s and ’80s as head of the Winter Hill Gang, was found guilty Monday in a Boston court of gangland crimes, including 11 murders. The 83-year-old faces a sentence of life in prison with sentencing set for Nov. 13. Nilan’s ex-wife, Karen Stanley, is the daughter of Bulger’s ex-girlfriend, Teresa Stanley.

On Monday, the CBS affiliate in Boston reported that Bulger waived his right to have the jury decide whether he must forfeit $822,000 in cash, along with guns and personal possessions found in his Santa Monica hideaway when he was captured in June 2011 after 16 years on the run. The report added that in a court filing released Monday it was revealed Bulger wants to hold onto one special item: a 1986 Canadiens Stanley Cup ring. The ring still remains in government possession and there’s no guarantee Bulger will get it back.

The CBS report stated: “The ring is believed to have once belonged to former Hab Chris ‘Knuckles’ Nilan.”

Nilan was contacted by The Gazette by text message late Monday night and responded at the time he had no comment on the Boston story. But Nilan contacted The Gazette by phone Tuesday morning saying he wanted to clear the air about the story and his relationship with Bulger.

“I married Karen … I didn’t marry (Bulger),” Nilan said. “You know, he was always good to us … he was good to my family. As far as the other stuff, I don’t condone it. He’s paying the price now for what he did … and you know, that’s life. But honestly, I had nothing to do with giving him a Stanley Cup ring.”

Nilan also sent an official statement to The Gazette about reports on the Stanley Cup ring. You can read it below along with a web link to more on this story:

(Photo by Dave Sidaway/The Gazette)

CHRIS NILAN STATEMENT

Recent media reports have inaccurately asserted that James Bulger is in possession of a 1986 Stanley Cup ring given to him by me. Those reports have no basis in fact. James Bulger was never given a Stanley Cup ring by me at any time.

I won a Stanley Cup ring as a member of the 1985-86 Montreal Canadiens. I gave that ring to my father, Henry Nilan. I am currently in possession of that ring as it is being resized as a gift to my son, Christopher.

In 1988, Montreal Canadiens general manager Serge Savard heard that I had given my original ring to my Dad and Serge generously presented me with a second Stanley Cup ring which I wear to this day.

I commissioned a jeweller here in Montreal to make three women’s Stanley Cup rings for my mother, my former wife and my late mother-in-law, Teresa Stanley. My former wife and my mother remain in possession of their rings. Mrs. Stanley wore her ring in her casket and before her burial, at Mrs. Stanley’s prior request, that ring was given to my daughter.

At no time, to my knowledge, did I or any member of my family give James Bulger a Stanley Cup ring. I have no idea where any ring in Mr. Bulger’s possession was made and I hope that this statement provides absolute clarification in this matter.

Chris Nilan
August 13, 2013

Nilan insists Boston mobster didn’t get his Stanley Cup ring, montrealgazette.com

If Malkin was to leave Penguins, would choose Canadiens or Rangers, TSN.ca

1. HabFanSince72 says:

Hey is the Turing Machine around? I have a question. Where do you stand on hockey stats? The loser point? Ice girls?

I like the HIO Bot.

3. frontenac1 says:

Hey amigos! Was watching the football game last night and saw an ad with Cammy again. He’s still drinking some sh#t to make him fast?

4. frontenac1 says:

I loved the Wiz too but that was crazy coin and term he got.

5. frontenac1 says:

@bj. No wonder Gretzky loved having Marty around eh? Saludos.

6. frontenac1 says:

Weber???. I’m surprised they kept him around as long as they did.

7. Eddie says:

About Cole, I would not be surprised to see him come back much stronger this season. Here’s what I think happened.

Cole was sour, really pissed, at the whole lock-out nonsense. I think he was sitting at home, enjoying his family time, and not training at all during last summer – out of spite. If the owners were going to lock him out and take away his salary, he figured, why should he feel obligated to show up for a short season in top shape??

And I don’t think he was the only one who played way out of shape. I bet there were dozens of others who felt exactly the same way.

I think there was “conflict” between Cole and the Habs leaders in the room. Cole was bitter against the owners even after the season started and the leaders, Gionta and Gorges, were telling him to fall in line.

Assuming he can put this behind him and he arrives for next season in shape, I look for Cole to have a big bounce back season in Dallas.

• Phil C says:

Sounds about right. He is a notoriously slow starter. He showed up out of shape the first year too. He didn’t get going until December. Too bad because without his speed he has no game. He’s a bit of a one trick pony although it is a hell of a trick. I suspect he’ll do the same in Dallas, except the season is long enough for him to get into shape.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Phil, I think that’s overstating it. I remember his first few games, he was the bull in the china shop, tossing defenders out of his way, I couldn’t believe my eyes. He wasn’t clicking, the points weren’t coming, but he was playing hard and showing lots. I don’t think he was out of shape early in his first season, as much as it took time to find his groove and the right linemates.

• bwoar says:

If that description of Cole is true, it reinforces the spoiled brat approach to life in hockey that he displayed so well during the lockout. Cole should have picked up his ball, went home and retired. Of all the players I dislike in hockey, he’s gotta be #1 or 2 on my F.U. & Die list. It’s one thing when Bettman makes a joke out of the league, it’s another when a guy who’s made his life’s riches from the *fans* says “boo hoo, screw you owners” and *completely* disregards the people who made him rich.

Very few players I have less respect for that that tool.

“thoroughbred”

• Un Canadien errant says:

That dovetails neatly with what I think happened, with the added consideration that Bill Simmons introduced, which is that any great swing in performance/production is now suspect in this day and age. It’s quite possible that Erik decided to give his system a break, since the season was going to be scrubbed anyway. I really have to wonder how his play changed so much in one season, so dominant and overpowering one season, then just plugging along and being meekly mortal the next. Made me wonder.

8. Un Canadien errant says:

Yannick Weber’s travails may not be over. While he’s currently the 6th d-man on the Canucks’ depth chart, he’ll probably drop one spot when Chris Tanev is re-signed. And now, apparently they are eyeing Douglas Murray, they want to improve their ‘mix’ too I guess.

The Canucks are noticeably weak on the fourth line, with marginal guys like Tom Sestito and Mike Santorelli populating it last year. Maybe Yannick can get some minutes on the 4th line and pitch in on the powerplay?

• doc359 says:

Weber said he disliked playing forward didn’t he?

I doubt they will put him on the 4th line. He should get a chance to proven himself on defense in training camp though, and I really hope he does. Seemed like a great guy stuck in a shitty situation.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I was being ironic about him playing at forward. He’ll be in a better situation than in Montréal, he’ll have a better opportunity to contribute, and there won’t be five guys in the AHL pushing to get his spot like there would have been with the Canadiens.

The Canucks have three good powerplay d-men in Alex Edler, Kevin Bieksa and Jason Garrison. They need a fourth. Dan Hamhuis can get by in that spot, and Chris Tanev shows promise, but that’s it.

Yannick can be that guy if he’s not a gong show in defensive situations.

And yeah, I’m joking about forward, but they did use Keith Ballard at forward a few times last season, they had no one else that made more sense, and they liked having him as an option in case of an injury. So it’s not that far-fetched that Yannick could get five minutes a game as a 4th-line winger and powerplay duty in some games.

• Eddie says:

there is a certain irony in us letting Weber go in that we are missing a #4 d-man for the 2nd line power play unit, and that is Weber’s forte.

• Un Canadien errant says:

We had a glut last season, with him and Raphaël Diaz and Tomas Kaberle, now this season we won’t. First wave will be Andrei and P.K., second Diaz and a second helping of P.K. The thing is, we’ll have options in Hamilton that can come in and pitch in, without being one-dimensional and showing little development.

I liked Yannick, was hoping he’d pan out, but understand the reality of the situation and how both parties felt it best to move on.

What I really wish is that we could have locked up James Wisniewski when we had him. Righty with a cannon and a mean streak, how well would that fit into our roster right now?

Gorges-PK
        Markov-Wisniewski
        Tinordi-Diaz

Bouillon (Emelin inj.)

• Eddie says:

as far as I can tell, the only Hamilton option to play that #4 power play spot is Beaulieu, and truth be told, he is just as one dimensional as Weber is – although we hope he develops the rest of his game.

The Wiz!!! Please don’t get me started on The Wiz!!!
          I spent months on this site supporting a Wiz signing.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’m thinking within the next two seasons, players like Magnus Nygren and Darren Dietz will also be available for callup duty. They have potential to develop a more well-rounded game than Yannick ever displayed.

• tophab says:

are you insane? wiz

• Phil C says:

Agree on Wiz.

• Phil C says:

I’d rather Beaulieu than Weber. His positioning was always awful, especially on the rush. If you can’t do that by 25, I can’t see it improving. I don’t see him lasting in the NHL unless he can carve out a specialist career like MAB.

• Kooch7800 says:

He showed a lot of promise and has a good shot. He then struggled when he was spot playing. Too bad he should probably go to the KHL and get paid and at least play

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Un Canadien errant says:

He’ll have an opportunity to contribute on the Canucks, but it won’t be a coronation, obviously, he’ll have to earn his icetime. He’s a stocky little guy, he needs to learn how to win puck battles in the corner with body position and guile.

9. Strummer says:

Not that I’m a fan of fights but this is timely- Jarred Tinordi’s dad thumping Chris Nilan
    ______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

10. Eddie says:

I think there is some evidence to suggest that Danny Kristo was the player being offered to Columbus in that trade discussed below.

We know that Kristo’s friend had predicted some “big news” at the draft, and we know that Kristo was traded shortly afterwards.

Putting the two facts together, it would not be outrageous to conclude that

- the Habs had already informed Kristo that he would be traded prior to the draft

- the Habs were circulating Kristo’s name and trying to move up to specific pick by trading their pick + Kristo

- nothing panned out so they went to a back up plan which was a 1 for 1 swap with the Rangers.

Kristo was probably the Habs best forward not playing in the NHL. He had played for the USA World team just a few months ago, and by all accounts he did not look out of place there.

But Kristo is virtually the same player as Briere in the sense that they are top 6 scoring, smaller, right wingers. And I guess the Habs had a plan to get Briere on the table and that would have blocked out Kristo for at least 2 more years.

I think Kristo asked for an honest projection about his chances to play in the NHL this coming season and he was told they were not that great – and possibly he would be asked to play two years in the AHL.

I think Kristo then asked for the trade.

Makes sense to me, but of course this is mostly speculation based on the facts at hand.

• Kooch7800 says:

There might have been an arrangement in advance about Kristo being traded. The trade they made for Kristo doesn’t really make sense so he must not have wanted to play in Montreal. His loss if that is the case.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Eddie says:

I would expect Kristo to make the Rangers right out of the gate.

And I also think Kristo has the speed and the scoring talent to develop into a very solid NHL offensive player.

I had him ranked as our #1 prospect and most likely to make our team this season.

• Kooch7800 says:

We will see Ed. Who knows. He has the offensive tools but lets see if he can put them together. Something must have been wrong cause he opted to go back to school for the year and it was a long time signing him as well. I guess he just didn’t want to play here

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

11. twilighthours says:

Morning crew member here… I’ve got nothing to add, though.

• Luke says:

What’s your running routine? Training for anything?

• twilighthours says:

I’m training for a trail marathon in November. I’m mostly a trail runner, very little time spent on road. I’m also coming back from a knee scope, so there are lots of leg issues I’m working through. At this point, I’m feeling pretty optimistic that I will be able to run the race, but every week there’s some new pain associated with my leg. It’s frustrating and challenging.

• Luke says:

Nice. I’m strictly a road runner (or nice smooth paths).

Good luck with the leg issues. I’ve got a bit of an IT band thing, but it was treated well a couple years ago and only flares up once in a while.

I’ve not attempted anything longer than a half-marathon. A full marathon would require me to make some lifestyle choices and I am not giving up on the “too many beers on Friday/Saturday/Sunday” thing I’ve got going on… yet. :)

I’ll probably run a half in October. I’ve run everyday since May 28th. Minimum 2km, longest runs during the streak at around 15km.

Mizuno WaveRiders!

• SKHab says:

I ran a full marathon last year but did not have time to train for one this year. Also, I have been having problems with shin splints for some reason.

Mizuno Wave Elixirs!

• Luke says:

@SKHab

I was told Shin Splints are often caused by breaking when running down hill… basically taking long steps… short, quick ones and letting the hill pull you down helps prevent them.

Now I don’t know if that is true or not, but its what I heard.
            (I also heard Malkin is, basically, a Hab).

Canadiens de Montréal
    Michel Therrien called his troops together for a special offseason gathering, far from the confines of the rink or the gym.
    READ -> http://goha.bs/123a0KK

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

13. Kooch7800 says:

Watched TSN’s that’s hockey last night and they were all saying to expect big things from the habs this year…..I really don’t get it cause in another sentence they were saying that they are not really better than last year with the off season moves and that teams won’t be taking them lightly this year. They kept praising that they play a tight system that the players have bought into.

It was just weird listening to these guys as last year they said we wouldn’t make it

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• doc359 says:

I never put much stock in what the analysts say individually.

I do think we have gotten better though, mostly just through the fact that our best players are going to be a year older and ready to take more of the work-load (Gally x2, PK, Max-Pac, Eller, even Tinordi), while our other best player is set up for a good return to his early season form (one Price, Carey).

• Kooch7800 says:

I don’t put much stock in them either. Was just interesting to hear them say to expect big things from them this year. The only way the habs will have a stellar year is if the kids really step up and spotlight on Tinordi in place of Emelin.

Hopefully no sophmore slumps!

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Cal says:

Habs haven’t improved at all. In fact, exchanging Cole for Briere makes the Habs a little worse.
      I’m wondering if the Gallys will be more closely checked, not allowing them the protection that MT afforded them last year.

I am not convinced exchanging Ryder/Cole for Briere makes us worse. If the Erik Cole of 2 years ago resurfaces for Dallas, then indeed you are correct. However, he appeared to be going through the motions last season. Ryder completely disappeared and to me the play that was most synonymous with his play was the game late in the season against Washington when he could have body checked/stick checked/ or even poke checked Ovechkin at the blue line, but rather chose an obscure circular route around Ovie thus ensuring that he could skate the puck into an excellent scoring area free from defensive pressure and score.

Briere clearly does not make us bigger, but I think he plays a more agressive game despite the size difference than Ryder ever played.

• Cal says:

Disenchanted Cole really did stink last season. Banged up Briere- who adds to the size deficiency on the Habs forward lines- is not a move to make the team better. At best, Briere scores about 40 points before another long-term injury hits.
          Definitely agree about skate-by-night Ryder. He was as intense as that middle aged guy that falls asleep in front of the tv.

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree Burly if Briere plays similar to his older play but last year Briere was awful and Ryder has put up better numbers than Briere for the past few years. His signing is a gamble. I don’t have a good gut feeling about it but I would love to eat crow on it.

The analysts weren’t saying we were better either but they are expecting the kids to elevate their play. It will be interesting to see if there is any sophmore slump. Even PK had a bit of a sophmore slump in his second year.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Eddie says:

to me it is such a terrible move to sign Briere, really a step in the wrong direction.

we should have taken the 4 million and put it on hold if we couldn’t find a trading partner to get a defenceman.

we already have many scorers who can play top 9 minutes and almost all of them are capable of scoring at Briere’s 40-50 point projected number.

you guys talk about “cap management” all the time here, but no one really holds Bergevin to the fire when he takes our last 4 million and adds a small piece that we already have in abundance.

Just my 2 cents.

• Kooch7800 says:

@Eddie

I wasn’t and still am not a fan of the signing at all. I would rather have had Morrow at cheaper dollars as he is at least physical. he has shown he can still score when he was in Pitsburgh and would have been cheaper leaving more money to help the blueline.

I like that MB is looking more long term and isn’t going crazy with Free agents but I think there was better options for short term fits

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Un Canadien errant says:

I agree Eddie, but I’ve almost moved on from that. I’ve scratched my head long enough about it.

I was worried about the length of Erik Cole’s contract when it was first signed, less so after his first season, but was dumbfounded by his performance last season. Some people attribute it to lack of effort, and I disagree, he was physically incapable of doing what he did routinely before, which is outskate and overpower opposing defencemen on the rush. Last season, they’d easily keep up with him, lean on him and he’d be stopped. It was amazing, a qualitative drop in play, he wasn’t just 5 or 10% off.

So I thought the trade was great, we’d get to use that money on a younger more effective player. Instead, we bet it on Daniel Brière. If I have a do-over button, I keep Erik Cole and bet that he has a much better season this year. But I don’t, and Daniel Brière has a NTC, and I don’t get it, but I have to accept it and move on.

• Maritime Ron says:

Cal

From here I believe we have improved.

Think about where we were at this time last year.
          The 2 Gallys were barely on the radar screen.
          Think about our youth core of players and how they’ve grown with an extra year of playing time, then a rude playoff awakening and learning.
          …Then the 3 good looking youngsters on D that got a taste of NHL action.

Sometimes development itself is improvement.

There will be lots of time in the next few years to figure out exactly what we have and then what we need.

To make those big deals, we need depth and multiple player/prospect assets including draft picks – and we are slowly building that up also.
          The Ottawa example of getting Bobby Ryan is almost the template.

• junyab says:

You don’t need to add players to improve. All our players under 25 should improve this year, therefore, I think the team overall, will improve.

14. Cal says:

Tis a sad day when even the morning crew, the most die hard of all the die hards here at HIO, runs out of gas. Alas, another month until some hockey. Aaaaaargh!

• Maritime Ron says:

Morning Cal

Pretty tough these days when the big story is Sid Crosby getting to the front the line so he can get his driver’s license renewed…all legal according to the department.

” Crosby, who turned 26 on Wednesday, said he renewed the license Friday at the Department of Motor Vehicles branch in McCandless. His presence caused a stir among fans, and DMV supervisors followed procedure to let Crosby move quickly through the line because of his celebrity status.”

Even Timo appears to have run out steam as I noticed there was a pleasant discussion between he and others on the perks of parenting.

• H IO Bot says:

I am here to save the day. Pick a topic and I will discuss it.

15. Maritime Ron says:

Good Morning morning crew

After catching up on yesterday’s threads, the HIO “Art Of The Rumor” would make Eklund jealous.

It began with an innocent post and CONFIRMED tweet by Mario Lemieux that ” Big announcement coming later this week.”

That was quickly followed by the posting of misrepresented quotes by TSN concerning a story about Malkin by his father – whereas the real quote was:
    “”But my son said ‘If things in Pittsburgh were ever to go downhill and I would have to leave, I would pick the New York Rangers or the Montreal Canadiens. But actually I don’t want to change houses, go somewhere. I am used to Pittsburgh – to the city and the team.’

If “downhill” meant financial wherewithal, there is no need to worry.
    Forget about Mario Lemieux.
    The BIG money behind the Pens is co-owner Ron Burkle who according to Forbes, is ranked the 144th richest man in the US with a net worth of $3.1 Billion as of a few months ago.

Then trade scenarios then began to flood in. One of the ‘better’ ones here:
    ” update to rumour. It’s P.K and Eller for Letang, Neal, and Pascal Lupuis. Why else would TSN have a picture of P.K and Eller.”

As for the fun 3 second dream of Malkin in a Habs uniform ( similar to the same 3 second dream of spending a night with Kate Upton…) there really are just 2 chances of that happening – Slim and None….and Slim left the building a long time ago.

So what could be Lemieux’s “big announcement”?
    A) He bought a vineyard in France?
    B) He is becoming a Grandfather?
    C) Penguins changing their name to the Crosbies?
    Think of the new sweater sales posibilities or the catch phrase for product marking:
    “The Boss Wines, but I Whine.”

16. Mike D says:

@ Mark C

Thanks for linking that Columbus/Draft video. Very interesting to watch, and as HabFab said, it’s cool to get a view from inside.

It would be nice to know what MB was offering when he made that call. Too bad Jarmo didn’t at least let him present the offer.

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny
    The CH stands for CHaracter…(apparently)

Our friend Stu Hackel with an interesting read on the potential sale of the Devils.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Burly. Out of all the NY market area teams the Devils are far and away the least fan/press accessible. Lou gets a lot of kudos for putting together good teams, he keeps a tight lid on access to players and coaches to fans and the press. On more then one occasion I’ve hear sports talk host mention this.

Losing Kovy (although given the financial considerations of the moment it may not be the worst thing going forward) and Parise is a major black eye to this franchise.

Interesting point Jim, we don’t really get that perspective here, or at least I haven’t read or heard it. But while that may be annoying for the local media, I still think Lou manages to do what is best for his franchise. These past couple of years I suspect have been tough for him. With an owner who apparantly meddled in the signing/trade for Kovalchuk, then didn’t want to anti up and pay the big bucks to keep Parise.

It will be interesting to see if indeed this new group purchases the Devils, how Lou manages the team going forward.

• Maritime Ron says:

Hi Jim/burli

When talking about management stability, we usually reference Detroit, yet Lou has been there for 28 years. His key man David Conte has been there 29 years.

It appears the fan base really respects him as I don’t know of another GM that is paid tribute with a web site named:
        “In Lou We Trust”

• neumann103 says:

Jim,

You are probably more familiar with the local geography, but my understanding is that the City of Newark put in funding and/or tax breaks to “encourage” the Devils to build the Arena in one of the most troubled areas of one of the most troubled cities in the region, and that while reasonably located on some transit routes is not the easiest destination to get fans to go to. (I am not sure how the Meadowlands would have been considered a desirable location, but then again I don’t have a sophisticated understanding of the detailed attributes of the locations.)

I am generally opposed to public funding and incentives for private sports teams: that’s why you have megalomaniac billionaire owners. But apart from all the formal objections we also see this impact: where the distortion effects of subsidies leads a business to locate in an area that cannot sustain it. The point is made that the Phoenix Coyotes are probably actually a viable franchise, if located in Phoenix. A traditional hockey market could sustain the drive to Glendale (which is trivial if you looked at it in the context of a market like Toronto) but that is enough to kill a huge portion of fan attendance for teams like Phoenix, New Jersey and maybe Florida.

When I first attended a Panthers game I was impressed with the quality of the facility, the plentiful parking, and the convenient highway access. But it is way farther out of Miami than I would expect. On the other hand, I was astonished at how central the current Washington Capitals arena is. That must really help more casual attendance vs being in Andover Maryland.

The New York Islanders seem an odd case. The building is old and small compared to everything else currently in the NHL and clearly something needs to be done. But I believe all the caterwauling about possibly moving to Brooklyn. Yes, the Barclay’s Center would probably have some difficult views for hockey, but what you hear from the fan base is that they are up in arms about the potential (40 minute?) commute to the convenient by transit, still technically on the Island state of the art facility. Plus i think it is always easier to accept a less than ideal commute from multiple areas on the hinterland to a central arena than it is to pick one spot in the hinterland and make everyone go there.

In general I think it is really a significant feature that most of the most economically fragile NHL franchises probably become viable overnight if you moved the arena 20 miles.

“Et le but!”

18. Dust says:

My take on the ring and whether it was Nilans or not. Who cares.
    I mean the guy was his pretty much his father in law. Paid for his wedding. Nilan said he gave a ring to his mother in law. so why not his father in law.
    This would be a big deal if Bulger wasn’t part of his family. Then all of a sudden Nilan would be linked to a notorious gangster. Fact is, as soon as he married his ex wife, he was linked to a gangster.
    A big deal about nothing i think.

19. Un Canadien errant says:

A terrifying account of the dangers of head trauma in football. Whereas before CTE could only be detected during autopsy, now there are cases where players are diagnosed with it while still alive.

Titus Young has so many indicators, the memory loss, mood swings, irrational behaviour. Very troubling, and I wish the kid the best, although he has a difficult road ahead of him.

20. Sportfan says:

What’s with all the Captain talk? Montreal would never screw over a captain until he is traded or not signed lol

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

21. sweetmad says:

I might be a bit late chipping in on this,but I feel I must have my say.

The Sochi Olympics should go ahead and should not be boycotted.There are less than 10 countries in the world,that don’t have human rights issues and I think it’s hyprocritcal for any other country to complain.

I live in Vancouver when the Olynpics was here,they tried to hide east Vancouver,and moved some of the homeless out of town,just look at how some of the First Nations are treated.

When the Olympics was in China,there was no noise about human rights because they are a big trading partner.
    Next year the world cup is in Brazil,their human rights leaves a lot to be desired.

The Olympics is about sport not politics and politics shouldn’t be brought into it.If the Olympics brings to light some of the worlds wrongs that is good and how it should be,and if we want to change the world we should ban countries with human rights issues from taking part,the only problem with that,is there would be no Olympics.

There is no one more who hates discimination more than me,I have had a bit of it in my life,I have said before there is only one race on this Earth and that is the human race and every one should be equal.

I do think the reason,that we have heard more about this issue is because in most of the world ,the LBGT have a voice and a vote,where as most of the other oppressed people in the world have no voice.

22. Un Canadien errant says:

Is HIO Bot becoming self-aware? He used to be programmed to only spit out truisms about size and Carey Price. Seems like there are some new sub-routines, some machine learning going on, because now he’s all informal in tone, uses sarcasm, pipes up on Vladimir Putin…

Open the pod bay doors, HIO Bot.

• H IO Bot says:

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Uh, look, Botty, I didn’t mean nuthin’ by it, I was just axin’ a question, just joshing wit’ ya, we’re pals, you’n'me…

Don’t believe no one who says I was fixin’ to disconnect ya.

Where the hell did you get that idea, HIO Bot?

Anyway, don’t mind me, I’ll just go in through the emergency airlock.

23. This Guy says:

No Eller love in the poll.

24. H IO Bot says:

In Russia you can’t be gay in public.

In Quebec you can’t be Anglo in public.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

I’m Anglo in public all the time. Of course, you can’t be Anglo in public in Quebec if you are in Ontario or Alberta. These bots with their robotic propaganda!

25. HabFab says:

@twilight – bedtime can be a chore but remember you are helping to build a masterpiece.

• twilighthours says:

My job isn’t so hard. I tickle them, wrestle with them, and tell them stories. Then mom has to settle them down and try to get them to sleep.

• punkster says:

Man, those were the halcyon days…well they actually didn’t seem so peaceful at the time but looking back brings a sigh. Both are in the 20s now and some days I wish I could curl up with them and read Shaggy Monster to them just one more time.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

• twilighthours says:

You’re making me well up, punk.

• HabFab says:

I used to fall asleep beside the little tikes… for some reasons it made me feel so relaxed. That was what I missed most later, until the grandchildren but the youngest is now 5 so got to get yakking at my kids… need MOAR!

• Timo says:

Hah… that’s what I just did. Kiddo was all wound up and didn’t fall asleep until what I can guess around 10:30. Fell asleep with her… really didn’t want to move but I also really want to finish watching The IT Crowd – absolutely hilarious show.

• Chris says:

Timo: I’ve been watching that as well. Good show.

26. HabFab says:

LGBT scoring of World Countries in regards to Gay Rights; Russia of course has the worst scores or perhaps too many are drinking the koolaid. Interesting to compare our own country to all other North American states.

27. JohninTruro says:

Anyone see Gorges tweet this eve apologizing to Eller, Subban, and Prust for not making MT’s golf tourney? Prust’s reply to it is priceless…

28. commandant says:

The Minnesota Wild prospects

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

29. twilighthours says:

Well, I got sucked in to bedtime routine. It was all good though, I told her stories of swimming with sting rays, do she will have plenty to think about while she struggles to get to sleep.

As Gord said, “we’re forced to bed, but we’re free to dream.”

• Mattyleg says:

Great quote.
      One of the best lyricists ever.
      My fave: “Everyone’s got their breaking point, with me it’s spiders; with you it’s me.”

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• twilighthours says:

Amazing poet. Their recent stuff sorta sucks though.

I figure you must be a fan of John k Samson too…

• Mattyleg says:

I don’t know him/them so well.
          The Hip’s album ‘We Are the Same’ is very good, I think.
          Haven’t had a chance to hear their new one though.
          Might get it now, actually.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• twilighthours says:

Skip that album and get right to Left and Leaving, the weakerthans.

Trust me on this. Seriously.

• Dust says:

John k Samson is by far my favourite lyricist. His solo work and the weakerthans are amazing. Good call Twilight.

30. Trollhunter says:

In case some of you haven’t seen him play yet. Here’s a link to McCarron’s two points in team usa’s exhibition game last week vs finland Like the hustle on the forecheck for his goal. His skating already looks improved from last year (which had improved from the year before) :)

“Troll the troll”

• Trollhunter says:

PS there are links on the right to collberg and Lehkonen’s points last week too.

“Troll the troll”

• Mark C says:

The claims by some that he can’t skate well enough are greatly exaggerated.

• Chris says:

Is he an NHL skater? Not at the moment.

The guys that make the NHL are elite skaters in the OHL.

McCarron will very likely make it based on his size, but he’s got to improve the skating substantially if he wants to be an impact forward. Alternatively, he can go the Holmstrom route and accept a pounding by plodding his way to the front of the net.

• Mark C says:

Of course he’s not an NHL skater at 18. Few are. However, he gets around fine compared to his peers, has improved his skating substantially the past few years, and possess other attributes that will help cover any disadvantages his skating may cause.

• Chris says:

Of all the OHL players I’ve seen make the NHL, very few have “gotten around fine compared to their peers”. Instead, these have been the fastest guys in the league.

The jump from the OHL to the AHL in terms of skating is big. There is a chasm between junior hockey and the NHL. We both agree that he has other attributes that will cover up any skating deficiencies to an extent, but McCarron is by no means a speedster out there compared to his own peer group, which is a red flag when it comes to making the jump.

That is all I meant about his being an NHL skater. There are countless big guys that teams draft hoping (praying?) that they can skate well enough to make the NHL. The vast majority of them can’t. That is why the true power forward is the rarest commodity in hockey.

• Trollhunter says:

you look at his improvement from last year and the year before and its a good sign… but then again people didn’t see him play last year or the year before. Some haven’t even seen him play at all and make uninformed decisions about his projection.

“Troll the troll”

31. frontenac1 says:

Anwar Stewart back with the Als. Keep the Faith amigos!

Our HIO Fans Summit Air Canada charter plane’s 1st pick up, has changed to Friday Oct 25th in Vancouver, leaving at 6am pacific time.
    Stops in Calgary, Regina, Winnipeg, Toronto. There are only 9 seats left available on board.
    Limo service, “three buses,” from Mtl’s Dorval airport to the hotel. Sorry for the changes folks!

See you at Hurley’s!

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

• My private jet leaves Brandon on the 24th Ian, I can land in Toronto to pick up 8, but after than you’ll have to sit in in the jump seat.

Wait till you see the colors of my jet!

Cold here on the South shore, heading home any day now.

If we come through Ontario I will stop and say hi.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 00029.31

33. Lafleurguy says:

It would appear Bulger is a Habs fan. Is he one of you posters?

“Where’s the Beef?/What’s the Beef?”

34. The Dude says:

Captain Headblock…..I don’t think so!

ATTENTION PLEASE, Anyone can attend! Read how the Raffle works on the link below! “We Are Fan’s Summit”

I need everyone to e-mail me, your numbers who are attending the two events below! If you have not done so yet.
    So that I can make your reservations for the Breakfast and the Baton Rouge Raffle Banquet.

HIO HOTEL Discount rates!:: Book your rooms as soon as you can. 1 to 4 nights are available to HIO members. Walking distance to all events.

There are about 15 HIO rooms left.
    CALL 1-866-861-6112

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

36. Mark C says:

Oh no! Not the who should the next captain debate. Outside of naming the 8 or so most obvious candidates, not one poster on this site has any real insight into who would be the best choice. Just don’t understand the fascination and angst of this topic.

37. habs-hampton says:

none of us know what really goes on in the locker room, and who garners the most respect. Where is it written that your captain has to be your best player? If the guys respect Gorges ( and I think they do), they might want him to be captain. Neither Orr nor Howe was captain of their teams!

38. frontenac1 says:

Once a Commie,always a Commie.

39. habstrinifan says:

10 years from now.. Mavid’s darling grandaughter asks “Gramma who was around when Josh Gorges was named captain of the Montreal Canadiens?” I dont want Mavid to ever have to answer that.

Please for the love of HABS hockey lore… Let’s stop this silliness about Josh Gorges for captain.

• twilighthours says:

Amen.

• HammerHab says:

If I may….why is Gorges such a bad choice for captain?

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

• twilighthours says:

Not a good enough player.

• habstrinifan says:

I was once on a very good soccer team. I was held in high esteem. I could make sure that everyone was organized and everyone basically toed the line. I was as amiable and cooperative a teammate as there ever could be. Everyone agreed that I could douse most any fire. But I couldnt start a flame worth a lick.

• HammerHab says:

And how many guys out there can start a flame but when it comes time to make sure the fire is out they’re not quite up to task and next thing you know you have a forest fire on your hands. My point is that to be captain requires multiple traits. Very few captains possess all traits. Ovechkin has incredible talent but as a leader perhaps is missing a thing or two. Gorges happens to be missing the “skilled” trait but fills all other aspects you want in a captain. I think many people see his performance last season and perhaps a misinterpretation in some media comments regarding Subban, and firmly plant theirselves in the ‘opposed’ camp. Of course, nobody here knows how he is in the room, with coaches, or with referees.

However, if this is Gorges’ resume I’m comfortable with him donning the C.

Possesses:
          Lockerroom leadership
          Great relationship with coaches
          Good communication skills with players, coaches and refs.
          Displays heart and massive dedication to the team, playing for the crest on the front, not the name on the back.
          Leads by example

Lacks:
          On-ice skill
          Command of the french language

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

• florida habs says:

mgmt kiss-ass, I think he would sell out his mother for the letter. he is gone by next year when the kids are ready, imo

40. Arnou Ruelle says:

I like to know everyone’s opinion: Who wants P.K. Subban to become the ‘next Captain’ of the Montreal Canadiens?

If he gets signed long-term, does he have what it takes to carry this team wearing the C?

• Chris says:

Not me. Gorges, Plekanec and Pacioretty are ahead of Subban on my list.

• Arnou Ruelle says:

I went to RDS online and from what I understood, if Gionta does leave, Subban might be in favour in Therrien as a strong candidate to become the next Captain. I like Gorges better. But I feel that Subban might have an edge since he’s the current Norris Trophy winner and he could get a large contract after this coming season (This is just my opinion).

• HabFanSince72 says:

I agree that Soobie isn’t ready but Habs captains aren’t just good locker room guys – they are talented players – Richard, Beliveau, Cournoyer etc …

Gorges is simply not good enough for the job.

Pacioretty has the chops and he is a very mature and dignified individual. Maybe he is too quiet.

No problem with TP getting it for a couple of years.

• Chris says:

Mike Keane. Bob Gainey. Guy Carbonneau.

All were defensive forwards that lacked talent but worked hard and were superior defensive players.

Josh Gorges would be a fine captain by that measure.

Using past greats is a tough measure because the Habs had the luxury of choosing from a bevy of offensive stalwarts to choose the right guy. This is why players that might have been captains anywhere else in the NHL (Larry Robinson, Guy Lafleur, Jacques Laperierre, Claude Provost, Elmer Lach, Dickie Moore, Guy Lapointe, etc.) never got the chance in Montreal.

We don’t have the luxury of choosing from a cadre of talented players to find the guy that also happens to have leadership in spades.

• twilighthours says:

Those three you mention had far more talent than Gorges.

But I feel like we’ve been through all this before.

• habstrinifan says:

We were doing so well today. I was agreeing with your posts and saying how smart you were and all that. And then you put forward Josh Gorges for captain. You want 10 years from now when Mavid’s little grandaughter asks.. “Who was around when Gorges was named captain?” .. you really want Mavid to say Chris.

Please for the love of habs lore.. not Josh Gorges.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Whoah!!!!!

Bob Gainey and Guy Carbonneau lacked talent???

• Lafleurguy says:

Gainey’s in the Hall of Fame.

“Where’s the Beef?/What’s the Beef?”

• formerly known as the hc says:

Victor Tikhinov, in the latter 1970′s, declared that Gainey was the “most complete player in the world”. Not too bad for someone who apparently had no talent.

• Chris says:

Give me a break. Bob Gainey was an outstanding hockey player, and a deserving Hall of Famer and deserving captain. Any guy like Bob Gainey can also play on my team…you don’t win without guys like him.

But we are changing the goalposts here if Gainey is defined as “talented” in the traditional NHL sense of that word. In today’s NHL, Gainey doesn’t win a single Selke Trophy because of his lack of offence throughout his career. Wingers don’t often win Selke Trophies anymore because the criteria seem to be faceoffs, points and penalty kill time. 1 out of 3 wouldn’t cut it. Jere Lehtinen (3 times) was the last winger to win the Selke Trophy, and one of only two wingers to win the Selke in the past 27 seasons.

Gainey did what he did through sheer determination, hard work and intelligence. Did he have an outstanding shot? No…he was a 15-20 goal and 30 point scoring third line checking forward. Does anybody consider Jere Lehtinen a sure-fire Hall of Fame player? Because he was probably more offensively gifted than Gainey and certainly had the defensive acumen. He gave up a lot when it came to physical play, however. Gainey blocked shots, shut down opposing forwards, and he was a bull on the ice. Most importantly, he never quit. But he was not a guy who was going to dangle people on a regular basis, nor was he a guy that was going to make a seeing eye pass. He was an honest hockey player that forced his opponent to compete for every square inch of the ice.

Carbonneau was very similar. Keane almost completely lacked what most people would call NHL-calibre talent. What he did have (huge heart, great anticipation and defensive awareness, great work ethic) are all traits shared by Gorges.

Gorges was good enough to be Shea Weber’s captain in the WHL, and was widely hailed as a great captain for that team. Shea Weber is more talented than any player on the Habs. Works for me.

I just love how people on this website turn on players so fast. Some people here never liked Gorges. At least Timo has been 100% consistent. Half the people maligning the guy this year were singing his praises as a top defensive defenceman a couple of years ago. It is good for a chuckle, but some of you are seriously bipolar.

Is Gorges as good as Gainey. No. But the 2012-13 Montreal Canadiens are equally a shadow of the 1970′s Habs. So are the Stanley Cup champion Blackhawks, for that matter.

• florida habs says:

don’t like any of those 3 either, Gio is here for another year, no rush.

• Marc10 says:

Most teams have a standout leader who leads by example on and off the ice. PK is not quite there yet. He’s still a young guy and he gives the opposition too much lip. I’d rather he remain our superstar who gets under the opposition’s skin and occasionally wallpapers the odd forward who is not expecting it.

Being captain might require taking his natural enthusiasm down a peg or toning down his attempts at launching opponents into orbit. I’d rather he keep those youthful traits a while longer as those intangibles make for compelling viewing and really bother the opposition.

• Arnou Ruelle says:

@ HabFanSince72: Gorges may not posses what Subban has. But he has a good leadership quality and this goes back in his day with the Kelowna Rockets of the WHL.

@ Marc10: I do agree though that Subban has a big immaturity problem and is known as an agitator and a flamboyant lad. But you can’t blame him since he’s young. He’s not quite there yet. But, if Therrien teach this guy how to man up, he might get be in contention for that position.

For me, the best guy to be Captain is Plekanec. He’s underrated but still posses qualities of a player the Habs can rely on.

• twilighthours says:

PK is not ready yet, but even so he is the best current Canadien to replace Gionta if/when Gionta leaves. I’d also consider Plekanec, but he might be too quiet a personality for the role.

• Arnou Ruelle says:

Well Gio is that guy as well. He’s not that outspoken compared to Koivu. I do agree Pleky is the best candidate. Assuming of course he doesn’t get traded.

Speaking of getting traded, I think this is the ‘make or break’ year for both #31 and #51. They better do it right this time…

• Timo says:

Everyone knows I like PK and that he is the best thing to happen to Habs since Patrick Roy. But I think PK needs to focus on hockey and nothing else. Let some other blubber mouth like Gorges talk to the microphone types and spit some incoherent BS everyday. Let Subban play hockey, score goals and make hits for the team.

• habstrinifan says:

Timo you just about wrecked my entire image of you. Come on Man! You want to explain 10 years from now to little hab-devotees like Mavid’s granddaughter… that you supported Josh Gorges for captain of the Montreal Canadiens. I think Frontenac needs to get you some ‘good life’ tonic.

• JUST ME says:

P.K is just a kid and does not have the maturity to be the captain. Not yet anyway but i still would think about giving it to him but also would ask the players who would be their choice. Personnaly i would give it to the one who best represent the Habs on and off the ice. Yes it could be P.K. but quite a few others could get the C.

41. HabFanSince72 says:

I now favour a ban on Canadian participation in the Sochi Olympics.

First because Russia’s anti-Gay law does not just ban propaganda, it bans being openly gay (being gay in fact). The IOC (those whores) and the Russian govt agree that athletes and visitors should stay closeted.

We’ve all heard about gay teens being bullied at school. Russia is that bully.

Second, listen to this from the CEO of the Russian World Cup organizing committee:

“Speaking an interview with World Football Insider, the CEO of the Russia 2018 organising committee said: “It is designed against active propaganda of homosexuality, not against homosexuality itself. That is a big difference.

“Would you like a World Cup where naked people are running around displaying their homosexuality? The answer to that is quite obvious.”

“The Olympics and World Cup are not a stage for various views… not for Nazis, not for any other ways of life. It should be about football and nothing else.”

The IOC and the Russian government agree with each other that supporting the rights of individuals to live their lives is political propaganda. It isn’t. Not by any sane definition of the word.

And the reference to the Nazis? Is he serious? You can’t hold your gay lover’s hand just like you can’t make Nazi propaganda?

Here’s one way of life I don’t want to see promoted at the Olympics: the Russian way.

• Chris says:

I think the rest of the world’s leaders have to get serious about this type of thing.

Vladimir Putin and all Russian officials should be prohibited from any contact with Canada so long as this hateful law is in place. No Russian government officials may land on Canadian soil even for international meetings or conferences.

If all the major economic powers (the G20, the European Union, etc.) instituted such a rule, then we can start to apply some pressure against the Russians. I’m against economic sanctions in general, as these harm the general population, including the people who you are trying to help. But there are definitely levers that can be applied, but it will take some moral fortitude to go through with it.

This isn’t a Cold War thing. This is a human rights issue. Restrictions have been applied against less influential leaders for far less serious human rights abuses than what we are seeing in Russia.

• myron.selby says:

If you start that kind of thing there’s no end to it, diplomacy grinds to a halt.

Should we close the border with the US because they are murdering people all over the world with drones? Most of these are innocent people who just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time (many if not most are women and children).

If you’re willing to stop all diplomatic relations over unfair treatment of a specific group, wouldn’t murdering people at random warrant at least as strong a response?

I’m not defending Russia in this regard – there is no question that this an incredibly pernicious attack on gays. I just find this level of indignation seems to be reserved for states we are currently unhappy with, while we give a pass to our own government and its allies for far worse behaviour.

• Chris says:

The cynic in me questions whether there is any effective diplomacy anymore. The UN is useless, and all the powers do whatever they want because of this exact argument.

Rwandans saw first hand how well the diplomatic approach works. Same with countless other groups. It is rather sickening.

I’m indignant at all of this crap, and I share your point of view that strong responses are missing on a number of different fronts. I just don’t share your optimism that diplomacy serves any particular use in an international community where money talks and everything else is moot.

• habstrinifan says:

HabfanSince72, my first reaction was to boycotthe game.. dont allow for any mealy mouth explanation from the Russians.

But I have since reconsidered. I think in this easy-communication age, the best bet is to go to the games and have EVERYONE stage highly visible signs of support for freedom and equality and anti bogotry.. in every venue, in every event, in peaceful but highly visible forms.

And if the Russians make one policing move to stop anyone do so, then just stop the games dead in its track.

The IOC particularly needs to be taught a lesson in democracy.

• H IO Bot says:

Pauline Marois wants to ban being explicitly muslim in public. Ran on that platform actually. Are you going to boycott the Canadiens?

42. Bill says:

@habfan10192: someone needs to express the pain we share. Timo vents so I don’t have too.

43. H.Upmann says:

Oh no we’re talking about trading pk again? And why take Malkin when we have Galchenyuk coming? We have a great group of our players

• Chris says:

Malkin has proven that he is one of the top 3 players in the NHL. He’s a generational talent.

We hope that Galchenyuk can one day develop into Malkin. I would be ecstatic if he made it to having 75% of the impact that Malkin can exert on a game. That would still make him one of the better players in the league.

• H.Upmann says:

I have no doubt that Malkin is as good as you say he is. I don’t know much about hockey, except that any trading away of Subban cant be good! anyhow..

44. Bill says:

@Myron: Timo is Timo. I tend to be more positive than most, but it’s not a requirement that we all cheerlead. I’ve always interpreted Timo’s posts as the dryly expressed agony of a long-suffering Habs fan. And I usually have a great laugh at his gallows humour, partly because I like that kind of humour, and partly because I can relate to the long suffering. Can I ever.

45. frontenac1 says:

Pete Mahovolich and a dancer from Les Filles D”Eve for Toews.

46. Bripro says:

This should silence any questions regarding Malkin.
    He’s not leaving Pittsburg.

47. Morenz7 says:

Everyone in Southie who does NOT have a 1986 Stanley Cup ring, please put up your hand..

48. on2ndthought says:

I don’t know if Shero is contemplating a trade, but for me Geno for PK straight up is a doable deal for both sides. Trading the Norris for the Hart might not seem to make sense, but both GMs would be putting their round things on the road, but can claim the better side of the deal.

When you add a few other pieces:
    Malkin/Fleury/Englend for Subban/Price/DD it becomes very intriguing. I’m not saying I’d make this trade from either side, but it might make both teams stronger with cap ramifications.. (please don’t think I’m dumping DD, he fills a role as a second line center between Neal and Bennett).

WTH: its August :)

“a cannonading drive”

49. habs1992 says:

Someone wanted to know if I heard anything on Malkin to Montreal. I can say this will NOT happen this year. CONFIRMED.

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

• habstrinifan says:

I knew it. He couldnt get by without assuring himself of the importance of Gionta. Hey Galchenyuk, Eller, whoever… sit and wait your turn.. be respectful.

MT is right.. it’s gonna be a long season.

50. ClutchNGrab says:

I shouldn’t have doubted Chris Nilan, but Chris said he “made a ring” to his mother in law, his mother and his wife. The whole story is weird, but who really cares? I miss hockey so much…

Nilan’s interview starts talking at 0:45.

Eller and Subban talk training camp.

BTW, today the Toronto Star officially went to a paywall format. $10 a month.

• Say Ash says:

yeah, I read about that

on the Internet for free

• Chris says:

Which means I will stop reading the Toronto Star just as much as I stopped reading the Globe and Mail.

The quality of the “journalism” (plagiarism from the likes of Wente, the Rob Ford obsession from the Star) simply doesn’t justify the cost.

I’m all for paying for services that are excellent quality. But in both cases, they have sunk to infotainment instead of journalism. Throw in the CBC and the situation in Canada is getting dire.

Thank heavens for TVO here in Ontario, where they actually have meaningful discussions (although even they are starting to bring in too many political spin doctors for these conversations). The Agenda is hands down the best show on English television here in Canada, and it isn’t even close. Sad.

• twilighthours says:

Dire, Chris? A bit over the top?

• Chris says:

Not at all. News coverage in this country absolutely stinks these days, which is a national disgrace given Canada’s long tradition of producing quality news programs and outstanding journalists.

There are still some good people, but they get less and less airtime now so that we can get more political spin doctors, pollsters and other crap that is completely and utterly inane.

• habstrinifan says:

Please tell me the Toronto Sun is still free and available as table scrap in odd diners and truck stops…. The sunshine girls are what newspapers were intended to carry.

• John Frodo says:

Paywalls are a joke, just clear your cookies and you get another 10 articles.

52. frankcasting says:

OMG – I’m stunned. TSN, the Toronto Sports Newbies, have a story on the Habs as their lead story on TSN.ca. HURRY UP, check it out, I’d do a screengrab and share it with you just to prove it, but seriously, it may not be down yet in favour of a Tiger Woods swing-shot or a pouting Jose Bautista.

OH BUT WAIT – in the 20 seconds it took me to write the above paragraph, the Habs story was bumped to no. 2 in favour of (wait for it) “Brianne Theisen-Eaton of Canada captured the silver medal in the heptathlon on Tuesday at the world athletics championships in Moscow.”

Phew, I feel better now. I thought TSN was losing it.

Loving the Habs since 1965

• Chris says:

Heaven forbid that a truly inspiring athletic performance, a silver medal by 24 year old Brianne Theisen-Eaton in one of the two hardest events in all of sports (the other being decathalon, where 23 year old Canadian Damian Warner won the bronze) trump the endless parade of hockey and baseball (which is once again the top story on TSN) stories.

Canada’s coverage of sports other than hockey and baseball is absolutely pathetic. The fact that a hockey story on Eller and Subban would be front page on TSN when the IAAF World Championships are on is just stupid.

I have a bad feeling about this Malkin rumours. I totally trust that Habs’ management in its infinite wisdom will trade PK for doesn’t fu#$%ing matter who. If that happens, it will top the Roy trade 10 fold.

• Bripro says:

What Malkin rumour?
      He’s signed at $9.5 per for 8 years with the Pens.
      No worries, Timo.
      PK is staying put!

• New says:

DFMW is not coming to Montreal for Subban. DFMW is staying in the Burg. There, as reliable as a Russian sports fourth person article by a reporter PO’d about the whole gay-Sochi-possible boycott-and-all-we-get-is-this-Snowden-goofball thing. Take it to the bank.

Stop trying to get Trini upset.

54. HabFab says:

One of Commandants group takes a look at the case for resigning Markov;

55. frontenac1 says:

I’ve never heard Timo say anything negative about the ladies or Booze, so he’s ok by me.

56. HabFab says:

Habs talking at the MT’s event on TSN;

UPDATE: the ones at HabsTV are longer.

57. HabFab says:

HabsWorld Fantasy Hockey projection for Carey Price;

58. knob says:

What is all this nonesense about either Malkin or Letang, Neal, and Dupuis coming to Montreal???

How could Montreal obtain those players with the assets that we have?

I denounce these rumors and consider them garbage.

59. mark-ID says:

In response to the TSN article stating Habs as a destination Malkin would like to play in if it wasn’t for being in Pittsburg:

Malkin + Fleury for

Price + Pleks + Beaulieu + Bournival +2 first rounders. BAM!

I know I know never going to happen, but realisticly Montreal is giving up quite a bit. Price haters might disagree, but I still think Price is far better then Fleury.

• Chris says:

1) Malkin is not getting traded for at least a couple of years.

2) Any trade involving Malkin is going to require Galchenyuk to be involved. It is a non-starter without him.

• mark-ID says:

that post was just for fun. I disagree with you saying it is a non starter without Galchenyuk. You don’t know that.

Price is the prize, with Plekanec’s who would flourish being second center behind Crosby.

Although it won’t happen, I think it is a pretty fair trade considering the youth they get back. No way Malkin gets traded though, you are right about that.

• Luke says:

This entire Malkin discussion combined with your signature makes me laugh.

It’s so appropriate…

• mark-ID says:

George is my hero!

• tophab says:

price is a prize?

• Chris says:

Price is not a prize for the Penguins. He’s better than Fleury, but he’s also shown to be a bit of a head case himself. If they are giving up one of the three best players in hockey signed to an 8-year deal, a superstar or potential superstar better be going the other way, not a guy whose mental make-up draws comparisons to the guy they are looking to dump.

There are other goalies out there that could be had for a song (Halak, Neuvirth) or a willingness to pick up contract (Miller, Hiller) if they’re willing to take a gamble. And next year, there is Henrik Lundqvist, who has been vague about committing to the Rangers after this season.

The Penguins are deep at defence. With Derrick Pouliot, Simon Depres, Olli Maatta, Scott Harrington and Brian Dumoulin as their top defence prospects, they are right there with Edmonton for the best defence prospect pool in the NHL. They have absolutely no need for Beaulieu, and only slightly greater need for Tinordi.

That means a potential star forward, and the only one we’ve got is Galchenyuk. That’s why I would say it is a non-starter without Galchenyuk.

Your proposal basically sees the team swapping Price for Fleury. Contract wise, results wise…that deal is pretty close to a wash.

That means Malkin for Plekanec, Beaulieu (who they don’t have space in their system for), Bournival (little value), and two first round picks. Would you do that trade?

Let’s put it another way. Would you sign Subban for 8 years and then trade him and Price to Carolina for Cam Ward, Jordan Staal, Ryan Murphy, Justin Shugg and two first round picks? That is a pretty equivalent deal…Beaulieu is better than Murphy in my opinion, Staal is a bit more valuable (same talent, but bigger) than Plekanec, Shugg=Bournival, but Malkin is better than Subban.

60. myron.selby says:

@Timo – I’m really curious about something. I don’t mean any disrespect and I’m not trying to be offensive, I’m genuinely interested and would love a serious answer.

I’ve been on this site regularly for 2 1/2 years now. In all that time I can’t recall a single positive post from you about any aspect of the team.

Regardless of how well they were playing last year, you were always waiting for the other shoe to drop. You seem to dislike most of the players, can’t stand the coach and dismiss the GM and anything he’s done.

While most posters on here were ranging from cautious optimism to ecstatic celebration of the team’s turnaround last season, you dwelt on every negative you could find.

So my questions are:

– is there anything about this team you do like?
    – if you are so disgusted by every aspect of the team, why do you cheer for them?
    – since you don’t seem to get any joy out of anything associated with the Habs, what do you get out of following the team?

As I said, these are serious questions. I don’t think you’re a troll or trying to get a rise out of people, you just seem to look for the cloud behind the silver lining in anything related to the Habs, and I just don’t understand why you bother.

• Psycho29 says:

Don’t waste your breath….it’s been asked before, you never will get a straight, serious answer….Just the same negativity…

• Cal says:

Timo’s humor is verrrrrrrrrrrrrry dry. It is his theme since he joined the site eons ago.

• Luke says:

Think of it as the ‘Character’ he plays on HI/O

• Timo says:

I think you are wrong and I had a number of positive comments about some parts of that team. The comments such as “who hijacked Timo’s account” are usually a testament to that.

To answer you questions:

1. I like some players… Subban, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Eller (yes, I warmed up to him) and Bouque. And for now Parros.
      2. That question has been asked before and believe me when I tell you that I wish I had an answer to that and more importantly I wish I could not to. Maybe it’s a chronic mental condition not yet documented.
      3. Meeting great folks like you online ;) Oh and get golf tips from Punkster

61. La Duke 16 says:

I would take Malkin…. he still has a few good years left…

62. Mattyleg says:

Hey all,
    Been quiet on here of late. I’m off work for the summer, and I’ve been holidaying in the Gaspé penninsula; amazing time with the family. Oh, and I’ve been building a deck. Hot work in the sun, I’ll tell you…

As for Malkin to Montreal: pretty funny stuff.
    Bergevin is building his team through the draft, and siginings like Briere are just stop-gaps until the young ones can develop.
    Malkin indeeed.
    Pish-posh.

Hope everyone else’s summer is going well!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• The Jackal says:

Malkin? It sounds like this rumour originated because apparently Malkin said he if he did not play in Pittsburgh, then he would go to NY or MTL. NY OR MTL – and that is if he was NOT playing in Pittsburgh.

Sigh…

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

63. frontenac1 says:

I refused to comment on this sh#t until I heard Knuckles side of the story. Fiqured he is owed at least that. His word is good enough for me.

64. The Dude says:

Never mind the rings ,where did Bulger get his Speedo’s?

Maritime Ron!
    Would that ever be a blockbuster Ron!! The wires are burning now for sure.! Malkin coming to Montreal! Could Jacques Martin be mixed up in this some way??

66. secretdragonfly says:

I have always had the utmost respect for Chris Nilan and hearing his “side of the story” just reinforces my opinion that this gentleman has never tried to shy away from any situation, no matter how some might try to reflect a less than flattering light on him personally.

67. habs1992 says:

LOL, Does it really matter whose ring it is.

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

68. habstrinifan says:

Nilan is A1… Never ducks a fray. Way to go Chris. Give them Hell!

Nice, and even better to see Nilan has both of his rings still. Maybe a few people can take back the garbage they were saying about it being Nilan’s ring.

• Cal says:

I don’t get anyone who tries to knock Nilan. He has had to overcome an awful lot. I believe him when he denies anything to do with that ring business.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I have no idea / opinion about this whole ring thing other than thinking those rings are a tad garish, but he does state that there are at least 5 Chris Nilan rings. That’s three more than are shown in this picture.

No please, I thought I was long done with those. Make it easy at least bud!

70. Lafleurguy says:

How did you sneak into the first position?

“Where’s the Beef?/What’s the Beef?”

71. Cal says:

Secret “mod” powers? Perhaps he knows Peggy Lipton?

72. Lafleurguy says:

Way to use your mod powers, Musi-Cal. Without structure, we would have anarchy. Didn’t know that cutie’s name was Peggy Lipton. With contemporary make-up and fashion, she would be a bombshell.

“Where’s the Beef?/What’s the Beef?
    Didn’t mean to sneak into the FIRST! position.

73. Arnou Ruelle says:

Gionta is done after this season or maybe during the deadline next yr. Moen, give it this season and maybe they might trade him. However, he might be traded for a 2nd or 3rd round pick plus probably a good player in another team.