NHLPA presents ‘Meet the Rookies’ videos

alexweb

Want to know more about the NHL’s top prospects? The NHL Players’ Association has a series of short “Meet the Rookies” videos on its website, including one featuring Alex Galchenyuk, the Canadiens’ first-round draft pick last June.

To watch the videos click here:

Galchenyuk, 18, was picked third overall in the 2012 NHL draft and has 21 points in 15 games so far this season with the Sarnia Sting in the Ontario Hockey League.

Others featured in the Meet the Rookies videos include winger Nail Yakupov who went first overall in the June draft, selected by the Edmonton Oilers.

The Gazette’s Pat Hickey caught up with Galchenyuk last weekend in Sarnia. To read his feature on Galchenyuk click here:

You can watch the NHL’s 2012 draft prospect video about Galchenyuk below.

You can read Cam Cole’s column on why hockey fans and sponsors should make the NHL pay for another “nuclear” winter by clicking here.

Tampa Bay Lightning sniper Steven Stamkos is thinking about heading to Europe. Read more by clicking here.

And if you’re fed up with the NHL and the lockout, you can read a tribute to beer-league hockey by clicking here.

Celebrating a birthday on Thursday is former Canadiens goalie Phil Myre, who turns 64.

(Photo by Marie-France Coallier/The Gazette)

1. otter649 says:

Interesting in the video about Galchenyuk that he was compared to Marion Hossa as Hossa suffered a serious knee injury in junior as well ……

• govenah says:

The Govenah has a message for the Commissioner.

Man am I bummed about this Hockey lockout!

Here is my solution to get the NHL to get negotiating.

Let’s make a petition that goes to fans of all the teams and stick to it.
      Here is the text of the petition:
      I (insert you name) a hockey fan do solemnly pledge to not spend a dime on NHL merchandise, or on arena concessions for as many regular season games as my team misses on account of the lock out. If my team misses 20 regular season games I will not buy anything for a 20 game period. If my team misses 82 games I will not spend on the merchadise or at concessions for a who year and I mean it!
      Signed
      The Govenah
      We all know that all of us will jump right back and be at every match as soon as the games will be back on but this is a pledge we can keep. And I know that fans everywhere can endorse this. We will be hitting the greedy buggers where it hurts in the owners and ultimately players pocket books like it or not. In a couple weeks once the petition gets noticed by the media we will get some heads turning. We will have thousands of fans from all of the NHL markets and the first signers will be interviewed by Dave Stubbs or even Jack Edwards. And it will unite us hockey fans , Hab fans, Leaf fans! oops I’ve gone to far.
      But are yah with me or agin me?
      Let me hear yah!
      I will post a link to one of those petition sites tomorrow. Anyone want to help with this?
      Guess the first thing I will need is a french translation.

• HammerHab says:

If this happens the owners will look for ways to cut costs and step #1 is to fire workers. Hardworking folks like you and me, or kids saving up for school. People working for minimum wage who are already out of work now, will be ecstatic to go back to work only to find nobody buying anything and they lose their jobs again. It’s all moot anyway, it would never happen. Just like those petitions for gas stations where everyone pledges not to buy gas from a particular company.

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

2. commandant says:

1 goal 1 assist for Vail tonight.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• jedimyrmidon says:

Was Vail expected to lead his team offensively? Or is it surprising that he is putting up these numbers after being mainly known as a good defensive forward?

• Brazhabs says:

He was meant to put up some higher numbers than he did last year. Since there were a few over-agers that made up the bulk of the top 6 and were leaned on for most of the offense, Vail was placed in a checking, two way forward type of role. Now that they moved on he was expected to pick up some of their slack and he has far exceeded anyones expectations in doing so thus far in the season.

3. ProHabs says:

I didn’t read Cam Cole article but man I agree that the fans should make the NHL pay for this. If this thing ever ends, I would love to see the fans boycott the NHL for a week (a whole season would be better but not realistic). For 1 week, nobody should buy or attend any NHL games.

The league would look like a joke playing in empty arenas and the players would see first hand what it is like to play when nobody would care.

With social media and the internet, this would be possible. But everyone would need to be onboard,

4. HabFab says:

RenLavoieRDS – David Desharnais will now play in Switzerland for Fribourg Gotteron. He should leave for Europe in a week.

5. habs001 says:

If you had to put a team together consisting of players that have been drafted by nhl teams but have not played in the nhl yet from all leagues(ahl,junior.etc)…how many habs would make that team…there are some very knowledgeable posters on this site who know a lot about non nhl talent..would be interesting to see how the lineup would look and who do those players belong to….

6. frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigos! Saloon Day tomorrow with the Lads for cocktails and Lies. ZZ Top on Saturday and NFL on Sunday. Life goes on . NHL? Screw it!

7. Hobie Hansen says:

I really don’t think any fan cares about the progress of the labour negotiations at this point anymore. All they want to hear is if the deal is done or nothing.

Everyone is sick and tired of listening to Pierre Lebrun and Darren Dreger babble on about different aspects of the proceedings. It’s lame and quite frankly, boring. It puts me to sleep if I hear it on the radio.

At this point the negativity of the whole situation has pretty much given me the attitude of not giving a damn about the season. I almost hope it’s washed at this point just so I don’t have to hear about it anymore. Both sides are now looking very selfish. A quick little spat is expected but the entire standoff is ridiculous and embarrassing to everyone involved with the NHL at this point.

But like I said, I think the bums on both sides should shut their yaps at this point because nobody wants to hear them whine and argue anymore. Cancel the season so we don’t have to hear any more crap.

• JF says:

I’m starting to agree with you. For weeks I was on tenterhooks expecting to hear about some breakthrough. It just seemed inconceivable that the season could be cancelled when the league has never been so financially healthy or the game so popular. But because of the greed, obstinacy, and sheer stupidity on both sides, it now seems increasingly likely. If they can settle it in November and start playing at the beginning of December, I’ll be fine with that. Any later and it won’t even feel like a real season. It won’t be representative, and the eventual Cup champion won’t seem like a real champion. Meanwhile, I’m sick of reading about it.

• DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

Agreed.

8. HabFab says:

A good summary of the negotiations!

Spector’s Hockey @SpectorsHockey

Shea Weber: “Nothing new, I think it’s all pretty well known in the media, what’s going on right now.”
    Yep, mutually assured destruction.

9. commandant says:

Check out Collberg sniping on the first goal here.

Glad to see some playing time for him.

2 goals in 4 games for him since the loan.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• VJ says:

Nice goal and good work along the boards to set up the give and go. Good to see!

What’s this about a loan though? Where did he get loaned to? His club’s jr team?

• HabFab says:

The Swedish AHL equal.

• commandant says:

Not exactly.

The Allvenskan to the Elitserien is not like the AHL to NHL, its more like the Championship to the Premiership, or Serie B to Serie A, for those who watch soccer.

Also for VJ, Orebro has no affiliation with Frolunda; they just took him on loan. Frolunda still owns the contract and can recall him at any time if they hit injuries or something.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

10. HabFab says:

Outsiders to bring in to help these two idiots jump start the CBA negotiations. All have experience on both sides of the debate;
    Ken Dryden
    Wayne Gretzky
    Mario Lemieux

11. jols101 says:

Awesome videos. Gally is a great kid. He will be a beauty.

Anyone else wonder why Sarnia has him playing on the wing a lot this season. He is hands down the best offensive weapon they have and is a natural center. I guess there could be many reasons but is it a coincidence that the Habs have a glaring hole in their top 6 at the left wing position ? I don’t believe in many coincidences and think that the Montreal brain trust reached out to Beaulieu and asked to play him on the wing sometimes.

The DD line will just get better as Patches and DD are still young and Cole has another couple good years left. A second line of Galchenyuk-Plecks-Gionta would look pretty good for a year or two. Gally eventually gets moved to center and becomes the dominate first line center we all hope he will be but starting at wing could be a good thing. Especially learning from good veterans like Pleks and Gionta.

I could be way off base. I don’t know, maybe they have Bourque penciled in for that position. Galchenyuk playing wing for Sarnia just makes no sense to me otherwise so this is my take. Alright, everyone can now tell me how out to lunch I am…

• commandant says:

Sarnia is trying to stack their three best players on one line, and Sarault is better on faceoffs. (though from what I’ve seen faceoffs are not a weakness for Galchenyuk, just that they are more of a strength for Sarault).

Once the play starts, Galchenyuk has such freedom to roam all over the ice, that it doesn’t matter much that he starts the play at “wing”.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

12. mark-ID says:

Is anyone else here a little supersticious like me, and hope that our friend S.Gomez will change his number this year. Back to 91, or whatever.

Personally, I think the way the Koivu situation played out, wasn’t ideal………then to have Gomez (who essentially replaced Saku at center)use Koivu’s number and perform the way he did……just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Who know maybe going back to #91 will magically help him score more then 2 goals :)

• shiram says:

I don’t see why he would do that, and I doubt it would change his performance, but I’m not superstitious at all.

• mark-ID says:

Clearly…I am extremely bored with everything NHL related…and have nothing better then to ponder out loud lol

• Luke says:

I hope Gomez wears #4 this season.

• mark-ID says:

I think the NHLPA should put in their offer that #99 should be allowed to be worn again….then Scotty can rock Gretzky’s number. BAM! 92 goals.

13. AceMagnum says: