NHL season could start on Nov. 2 after new proposal from league

bettmanweb

There was good news for hockey fans coming out of Toronto on Tuesday afternoon as the NHL presented a new offer to the locked-out players, offering to split hockey-related revenues 50-50 across the board with a full 82-game schedule to start on Nov. 2.

“It was done in the spirit of getting a deal done,” commissioner Gary Bettman told reporters in Toronto. “We’re focused on getting the puck dropped on Nov. 2 and playing a full 82-game regular season and full playoffs. That’s what this offer is all about.”

The NHLPA asked for time to look over the proposal. Donald Fehr told reporters in Toronto the deal is for “at least six years” and was planning a 5 p.m. conference call with team player reps to update them on the latest development. Read more by clicking here.

You can listen to a podcast with The Gazette’s James Mennie and sports editor Stu Cowan about the latest lockout development by clicking here.

You can read how it was Eric Lindros’s rookie contract with the Philadelphia Flyers signed before the 1992-93 season that sent NHL salaries skyrocketing by clicking here.

1. RH says:

yawn….

Subban signed yet?

2. axxerd says:

I was optimistic earlier today when I saw the NHL offer. However, with some tweets tonight, I’m fearing the PA will stand firm. They probably feel the owners are showing weakness.

I’m not sure guys like Armstrong understand the PR battle though. When I tweeted him that I hope the PA steps up like the owners did, I received a sarcastic response lined with the classic “??!!”

Oh well, I still think of him as Leaf at this point anyway ;)

—-
    Newfoundland’s biggest Habs fan. Hands down.

3. Dulljerk says:

I’m confused. I believe the NHLPA gets 53% of league generated revenue. What other industry gives a union 53% of the revenue generated? I work in the mining industry and I can’t even imagine Vale or Xstrata giving their unions 53% of the revenue generated. Someone please explain this to me. Average salary 2.5 million a year?

• HammerHab says:

the players are the product and therefore will command a higher percentage. An employee can be replaced without it affecting the bottom line. Crosby cannot.

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

• Dulljerk says:

Isn’t that why they get paid to play?

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

• HammerHab says:

The reason they get paid to play is irrellevant. the point is that a player (like Crosby) will make their teams owner much more money than you or I could make for our employers. An athelete is more valuable to an owner’s bottom line than a employee of any company, therefore they can command a higher percentage of revenue.

Whens the last time someone bought a jersey with your company’s logo on the front and your name on the back? When’s the last time you were on the cover of a video game or a magazine?

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

• Dulljerk says:

Probably about the last time you were. I notice you say nothing about ownership risk, and since Sidney Crosby is the man, why don’t the players form their own league that is 100% owned by the players?

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

• Peter Young says:

HammerHab’s point–made in response to your implication that no other industry gives its union 53 percent of revenue generated–is irrefutable. NHL players are nothing like the usual employee; the equivalence you draw is a false one. That was his point, but when he makes it, suddenly, in your comments below, you go off tangent, raising owner risk and asking why the players don’t form their own league, matters which in no way resurrect the discredited equivalence you drew. You are entirely nonresponsive to his point precisely because his point–that NHL players are something entirely different than your average industry employee–explains why NHL players might receive a larger industry revenue share. HammerHab didn’t go further than that; he didn’t even defend the propriety of the 53 percent number.

4. AceMagnum says:

Finally some good news. I was just about to call Bell to cancel my RDS ….that must’ve been what got the ball rolling. Players better reciprocate. I’m excited.

Although, I’m a little confused as to why this post has a photo of Phil Collins and Doug Heffernan walking down the street in suits with man-purses….

—————————-

THE KINGS ARE KINGS!! 2012

5. JF says:

According to Ken Campbell of The Hockey News, the definition of HRR in the new proposal would remain the same as it was in the old CBA. This is very significant, as it would mean that the players’ 50% would be 50% of a pie that would start out the same size as last year but would probably keep growing.

I understand that the players will need to study this new proposal before responding and that there will be some points to be negotiated, but the proposal gives them a chance to play a full season and receive their full salary. If they don’t accept it or something very close to it, they are likely looking at no season and no salary.

I understand that many here (perhaps all of us) have great frustration with Bettman and essentially don’t trust him. However, I think many owners, and especially the owners in Montreal and Toronto very much want hockey played this year. I am not going to say that Bettman has developed a conscious, but he does have to listen to the owners. Obviously I don’t know the details of the deal offered, but seems to me that at least Bettman has produced an offer which is credible and will stimulate negotiations.

My fear is Fehr will be more worried about his ego and winning the negotiation instead of talking to the players to see if they are reasonably happy with this offer.

I still have no use for Bettman and Fehr, but I do think there is ownership pressure on Bettman to “find” a deal. Is there pressure from the players on Fehr also? I am not sure.

7. Mavid says:

don’t rain on my parade..negative nellies…I watched 20 of my co workers (and many of them friends) walk out the door today laid off many of them never to return after 20 plus years service…it was a really crappy day..so a hope that hockey may return has made me feel just a tad better..let me enjoy this good news…

• Bripro says:

Sorry to hear that!
      Better days ahead!

*********************************************
      “I’m here to tell you: Gary Bettman hasn’t felt this alive since he killed Harry Potter’s parents.”

Mavid, I am sorry to hear that. That is a dose of reality as we watch these “Leaders” worry about how to divide millions of dollars. I hope your friends can find work, life is not easy these days. Enjoy the potential positive news that perhaps we can have our escape from reality, Habs Hockey!

8. mrhabby says:

Let’s not be fooled. Until the PA gets an understanding of HRR , Fehr will in no way have this agreement signed off . Many reports suggest this is 48/52 split in favour of the owners if this is the case the players will counter proposal or reject it outright….the negotiations are hopefully just getting started. There may be an agreement within a week or two. A Nov 2 start is not possible. These are schrewd moves by Bettman as he can then say the players will not negotiate and the court of public opinion will turn against the players..

9. Bripro says:

OK, some serious talk.

There’s a lot of scepticism regarding the NHL’s latest offer.
    No one but Donald Fehr and the authors of said proposal know its contents.
    I would suggest that we insist on looking at this in a positive light.
    Today was not supposed to be “Here’s my latest full contract offer” day.
    It was supposed to be another day of discussions pertaining to everything but the HRR and the split.
    As it turned out, the NHL have offered a 50/50 split of HOCKEY RELATED REVENUES.
    Have the NHLPA and Fehr figured out was that represents? I doubt it.
    But what this offer does is offer some finality to this lock-out.
    And that’s a start!
    It’s the first hint of a hockey season in a long time.
    Let’s enjoy it, and you can be cynical tomorrow, if it’s turned down.

*********************************************

• punkster says:

I wants my cynicism and I wants it NOW!!!

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• mrhabby says:

Depending on HRR the players could be taking less than 50 percent. I think there is enough of a basis for counter proposals…seems like this latest offer caught the PA by surprise.

• Bripro says:

Bettman specifically said “50% of HRR”.
        How does that make it less?

*********************************************

• ffenliv says:

What’s come up in the past is what might be talked about here. Splitting HRR is all well and good, but they haven’t made any sort of deal on what ‘HRR’ will actually be – what’s included and what’s not.

Perhaps what he’s saying is that the player share could be called ’48%’ because the amount of money considered HRR is reduced.

10. Ron says:

Dreger/McKenzie both report that the NHL has proposed a 5 year limit on contract length and the yearly salary variance cannot be more than 5%.

11. JohnBellyful says:

TSN’s Tuesday Night Movies is showing Slap Shot tonight. It’s okay but can’t compare to these other hockey classics:

Casablanca (1942) – National Hockey League decides to expand overseas, with disastrous results. The failed experiment, expertly told by a great cast and wonderful dialogue sours the league on any further attempts at expansion for several decades. (The NHL eventually overcame its fear of locating teams in warm climates but to this day remains strongly opposed to setting up shop on other continents.)

Friday the 13th (1980) (1981) (1982) (1984) (1985) (1986) (1988) (1989) (1993) (2202) (2003) (2009) – Goaltender playing in his last game is 13 seconds away from recording a shutout that would make him the all-time season and career leader when a sloppy line change results in the other team scoring. Deranged, he spends his retirement years bloodily dispatching everyone responsible for denying him a piece of history – teammates, coaches, opponents, referees, linesmen, trainer, GM, team owner, anthem singer.

Blow-Up (1966) – GM decides to do a radical make over of hockey team by gutting roster and bringing in a new group of veteran players. It blows up in his face.

Swindler’s List (1993) – Player’s agent defrauds clients of millions of dollars – but keeps meticulous records.

The Third Man (1949) – Enforcer doesn’t adjust well to new rule designed to crack down on fighting in the NHL. Ranked among the greatest films of all time.

The Big Sleep (1946) – The Trap takes over as a defensive system to stymie offences of stronger teams. Horror flick but not much of a thriller.

The Best Years of Our Lives (1946) – Older Hab fans recall happier times when team consistently won it all. Annoy the younger generation all to heck. Brawl ensues.

Greed (1924) – Silent film that drew jeers wherever it played. Couple wins lottery but are torn apart by violent disagreement over what to do with the winnings. Second remake currently playing in theatres, and still drawing howls of disapproval.

Fantasia (1940) – Animated feature. Hint of lockout coming to an end sends fans into raptures, accompanied by classical music. Hockey purists lampoon the pink hippos, saying they don’t reflect reality.

I see the NHL has been reading my comments. 50/50 has been my suggestion since this whole idiocy began.

If the NHLPA doesn’t accept this the egg will be on their faces.

EDIT: Ha. And they’re proposing a 5 year limit on contracts.

I just hope they also do away with the front and back loading nonsense. An NHL contract should be uniform throughout its term, or at the very least make it the the lowest year amount is no less than half the highest year’s amount. Idiots. Greedy idiots.

• ffenliv says:

The split isn’t going to be the issue. It’s going to be (re-)defining hockey related revenue. You can split the pie any way you like, but at the moment they haven’t even agreed on what kind of pie it is.

13. Mattyleg says:

Summit?
    Gotta rearrange the summit.
    Or at least have an informal summit.

summit.

Summit wrong with what I’m suggesting?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Chrisadiens says:

Double summit Matty. One in Hamilton, one in Montreal. I’m sure Ian is working on it as we speak and, Gerald and Dad are handling the Hamilton summit.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

14. Chrisadiens says:

So does that mean it’s all about logistics at this point then?

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• neumann103 says:

I dunno, logistics can be veeeerrrry complicated….

Let’s say you are in a hotel in Ajax but need a restaurant in Burlington. Where is the travel agent? How do you get to the airport. Will it be Wednesday or Monday or Thursday after tea? How many frequent flier miles do you have and where is the key to the bathroom? Do you have thirty carrier pigeons, and who cleans the cages?

So that’s why it will take weeks to get a deal done.

You are welcome!

“Et le but!”

15. AliHaba says:

Keeping my fingers crossed bigtime that this is the beginning of the end of the lockout.

16. commandant says:

The more I think about this, the more I think there must be something in the fine print of the offer that we aren’t thinking of yet.

I hope its a fair, honest, offer… but it doesn’t fit with Bettman’s history.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Habilis says:

I feel the same, I’ve been waiting for the other shoe to drop since I heard about the offer. If by some miracle it is legit, this puts 100% of the pressure on the players. Seems to be some serious movement on the owner’s part.

• Chrisadiens says:

You may be right Ben, but we still have to be happy that this will be a jumping off point for serious negotiations. Yesterday, I didn’t think we’d see hockey this year. Today, I’m hopeful.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Phil C says:

I think it is plausible that it is a legitimate offer. It still represents a 7% revenue increase for the owners, over $220M/year in salary savings, so they haven’t exactly “caved”. That should be enough to keep every team in a real market in the black. Based on what the NBA and the NFL settled on, I get the sense the NHLPA has the NHL’s best offer on the core economic issues.

Up to now, I thought the owners were being greedy. Now we’ll see how greedy the players will be.

• Bripro says:

Not you too, Ben!
      I watched the CTV report a little earlier.
      Bettman didn’t say much, but he did admit that the 50/50 split is on HRR, and that they made an offer to deal with contracts that would put the teams over the top. He wouldn’t elaborate.
      Let’s stay positive.
      I don’t like Butthead either, but if there’s a chance that he’s seen reason….

*********************************************

• Carta-Hab says:

I agree. I think the reason I believe there is more than meets the eye to this proposal is that I had myself convinced that this entire season was going to be a lost cause. To have such a glimmer of hope which really popped up suddenly is almost too good to be true. In most cases, it usually is. Can’t wait to see what the NHLPA had to say. I will reserve any further optimism until then.

Mike Milbury, Don Cherry, and PJ Stock….The three stooges of HNIC.

17. Spector’s hockey reported that part of the NHL’s offer was that contracts of players sent to the minors will now count against the cap.

If true this is terrible news for the Canadiens as they will have lost out on the chance to bury the Gomez and Kaberle contracts…

Telio
    The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/
    Twitter: @teliopost

• commandant says:

There are also numerous reports of a one-time buyout which will deal with Gomez’s contract.

As for Kaberle…. His contract doesn’t need to be buried. He was on pace for 45pts/82 games as a Hab. How many NHL defencemen are capable of 45 points in a season? Last season only 11 hit that mark. You pay for offensive production, and thats what he brings, even if his defense is frustrating at times.

What does a player with 45 points plus good defence get paid? Just look at Ryan Suter.

You get what you pay for, and Kaberle’s deal is fair.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• wjc says:

Where were you when Gautier was being persecuted for the trade.

Who are the credible people that say Gomez is being bought out. Is it Bergeron? Is he being overruled by someone?

wjc

• Commandant,

kaberle is terrible defensively…anyone in the league can go around him. also his effort level is very low and that is bad for morale on the team.
        I don’t think any team in the league would trade for him.
        Yes he can get some points but he is so bad defensively he isn’t worth it.
        Just my opinion.
        The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/
        Twitter: @teliopost

• commandant says:

Kaberle would be fine if he had a stay at home defenseman for a partner.

90% of the problem last year was that he was paired with Campoli. You can’t put two defencemen together who have the exact same weaknesses (Campoli has the same weakness as Kaberle, but is not as good offensively), and have one of them playing out of position, and expect them to work. It was yet another brutal coaching decision by Cunneyworth.

As far as comments about effort? I don’t have any issues with his effort. The guy has been a good player in this league for well over a decade. I don’t see him with a lack of effort. I think you are seeing something that isn’t there.

Lets face it the guy was a Leaf for so long, and then won a cup with the Bruins, plus he was one of Gauthier’s last big trades…. really easy to hate on the guy, but its not justified.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Ron says:

With Kaberle playing a regular shift in the Czech league he should come back in better shape than he started out last season. Be nice to see him prove all the naysayers wrong.

• Mark C says:

Why does Kaberle have to be sent down? Play him or trade him.

• Phil C says:

I would add to the comments above that Kaberle also committed himself to a higher level of fitness in the past off-season, having let it slide after winning the Cup. I am anticipating a bit of a comeback season for Kaberle.

18. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Honduras 8 Canada 1 …eliminating Canada from qualifying for World Cup soccer
    …ouuchhh !!!

…intimidation, in a country with the world’s highest murder rate ? …in a country where every citizen has a right to own 5 guns ? ……naw !!! :)

…back to the drawing board

• Blondie says:

The most brutal game I’ve ever seen them play. I really expected a better performance with so much on the line. Honduras came to play, Canada not so much.

• arcosenate says:

worst performance by a Canadian team I have ever seen, quite an embarrassment. Ten million in the coffers of soccer canada gone to hell and 6 more years in the wilderness. Well done.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Until we change the name from “soccer” to “foot-hockey” the results are never going to improve.

• Bripro says:

Anyone see my spikes?
      Naw…take mine. I have another pair.
      But, but….these are made of cement.
      So? They work for me….

*********************************************

19. geo_habsgo says:

@Ron

Not sure if you’ll see this but sorry if you took my correcting you earlier on how to say “tweeting” as an arrogant attack. It wasn’t meant to be. There is just a write and wrong way to say things and I was telling you what the common term for the act of writing a twitter update. I was just giving you a heads up because why would it hurt to know the right way?

Not sure this helped my cause at all but sorry if you took it the wrong way. The internet is not a friendly place to begin with so lets not get off on the wrong foot!

20. habsfan0 says:

The NHLPA will make a counterproposal which the NHL will respond to with a counterproposal of their own. At any rate I don’t see a deal being ratified until middle of next week,with training camps commencing the following weekend. That will be enough time for a 1 week training camp with 1 exhibition game before the season starts November 2.

21. Haborama says:

I don’t care what happens just end this stupid lockout!!!
    ________________________________________________________
    This machine kills Bruins

• Ron in Ottawa says:

As long as fans rush back, spending tons on tickets, refreshments and team sweaters this nonsense will never end. We need to have the backbone of baseball fans and stay away fro the rest of the year. let the owners and the players split 50/50 on very little.

22. Habitant in Surrey says:

…My optimism I offered to Ian that the new CBA will or should be settled in-time for His HIO Summit was based on considering Bettman’s and Fehr’s stupidity is finite, not infinite

…still many i’s to dot and t’s to cross, and potential hidden agendas unacceptable for Fehr and the players in the fine-print …but this is a big step-forward …hopefully

…I think there are presently many more things at play to motivate Bettman to blink sooner than he did during the last lock-out …first, and foremost, I believe, Bettman ‘hears’ how unpopular, even despised, he has become, …which would have ultimately become untenable for him to remain in his position the longer this lock-out went on

…the KHL has never represented as serious an option especially for European and Russian players as it does today …NBC Sports was likely becoming very displeased with the uncertainty and potential cancellation of the season …and, I believe, there is a silent-majority of owners that are speaking-up behind closed doors afraid of if not killing the Golden Goose (growing fan-base in the USA), at least threatening to whacking it at the knees for the next few years

…WHY ??? Bettman’s/the NHL’s initial offer did not start at a 47 %, 48 %, 49 % or 50 % share of HRR is beyond Me …it was an offer destined to raise the ire and backs of the players and especially someone like Fehr, with whom it was asking for trouble and defiance

…$ 250, 000, 000 bucks !!! of lost revenue …can such a loss be justified short-term for the issues they are arguing over ? …a $100, 000, 000 loss only if they find a way to get a full 82 game schedule in

…in My mind, it just did not add up, they will pay that kind of price …I wish Bettman’s ‘face’ was not associated to the NHL, I simply don’t like him …but he is an extremely intelligent guy, …if You hold Your nose long enough, one must admit many of his accomplishments in the structure of the NHL’s business, and even on the ice, has been progressive …it’s simply the ‘way’ he does business that gets under one’s skin

…Fehr, or as I call him ‘The Fear’, because Donald has no allegiance or love for the ‘game’ of hockey, though I don’t question his sincerity and bond he feels for the players, his dispassionate, resolute thinking would not blink at allowing as many games to be cancelled as it took to win these negotiations

…so, still, while holding My nose, I still held out optimism that Gary Bettman will come to realize that another extended lock-out or lost-season would be his own undoing, and too great a cost for the best interests of NHL hockey

…let’s hope I’m right

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

Bring Back Boone !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

23. rhino514 says:

“The new offer does not contain a rollback on existing contracts”.
    How can the cap go down to reflect 50/50 without existing contracts being rolled back? The only way, logically, would be to totally screw those players currently without contracts. Is it possible that P.K. Subban is going to get royally screwed by this deal??
    But in any event almost all players are under contract. So how is the 50/50 achieved with no rollback? And how will incoming players be able to pocket anything more than pocket change? Anyone?

• geo_habsgo says:

It was suggested that there will be a one time buy-out period for unwanted long term contracts. That would allow teams to shed albatross contracts like that of Scott Gomez which would afford them the money to pay the unsigned players.

That being said, I am sure what Subban will be getting now will be at least a few bucks lower than what he expected to be getting. I think there at least a few ways around the rollback.

• krozzt says:

Another possibility would be putting in a grandfather clause which would roll back the cap hit for contracts signed before the new agreement was signed but not changing the actual salary.

24. Bripro says:

I don’t want to jump the gun here, but arriving late and reading this…..
    this is better news than yesterday.
    Last week, I was convinced the season was a write-off.
    At least now, there seems to be some hope for at least a partial season.
    I hope it’s not “smoke and mirrors” as some are saying and that it truly is an acceptable offer.
    Here’s hoping!

*********************************************

• wjc says:

Bripro, Do yourself a favor stop listening to these people, most of them are completely nuts.

They are a bunch of drama queens and not to be taken seriously.

They think everything is a conspiracy and they have no clue how the real world works.

wjc

25. Ron says:

LeBrun tweets that teams may go over the salary cap to a max of 70 m for year 1 as part of transition rules.

Next meetings with NHLPA are slated for tomorrow or Thursday.

26. mdp2011 says:

Why can’t I post anything?

Edit: finally I am able to post after nearly 2 hours, and now the comment I wanted to post 2 hours ago, doesn’t seem that important anymore.

27. Gerry H says:

If the NHLPA doesn’t blow this thing up this evening, i.e. if it doesn’t prove to be all smoke and mirrors, I’m 100% confident that they’ll be dropping pucks on Nov. 2. I think the 82-game lever is real and pretty much a one-time opportunity. The PA has made the honouring of existing contracts its Alamo, but it’s not attainable without a full 82 game season. The NHL has also calculated this as a drop-dead date for cancelling a MAJOR chunk of games, so that the owners can start booking alternative events in their buildings (which, in the new NHL, are a prime revenue driver).

As much as we all despise Bettman and, to a greater or lesser extent, Fehr, these are smart men. They know they have this one-time opportunity for everyone to escape this potential fiasco relatively unscathed. I just don’t see it getting f’up.

EDIT: I’m not saying there won’t be further negotiations; there absolutely will. But I do think there’ll be a pretty quick tacit agreement that there is a 9-10 day window to wrap it up.

• mdp2011 says:

I agree, I don’t think the NHLPA will accept this proposal outright. But if this doesn’t open the door to further intense negotiations in the next week or so, then the season is toast.

28. jols101 says:

Question – When the cap goes down the players salaries will go down by the same percentage so the Teams cap space will remain the same. Is this a correct conclusion or am I out to lunch on this one?

29. Sean Bonjovi says:

I expect play to resume in the NHL in December 2013 (twenty-thirteen)

30. Haborama says:

any news on amnesty buyouts??

31. Bill H says:

As others have noted, devil is in the details. But full 82 game schedule I believe would mean full season’s pay for the players. If the season is to start on Nov 2, that leaves very little time to negotiate any further. Bettman knows that, and the message to the players is, “This is your last chance to sign on. After this, you start losing money, big time.” Because if they don’t get a full season in, they don’t get full pay.

32. Chrisadiens says:

He got tired of sharing the same shower stall with the entire team and having to drive/run the “Flinestones-mobile” to games. ;p

Edit: Meant to be a reply to a post that has since been modded. In reference to why Max left his team.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

33. Blondie says:

Soccer update: Canada getting destroyed 4 – 0 by Honduras, 35 minutes in. :(

Let’s get hockey back!

34. Hobie Hansen says:

I’m fairly certain that the whole “It was done in the spirit of getting a deal done,” statement by Gary Bettman was just part of the negotiation tactics. It was said to get the fans/media on the side of the owners and put pressure back on the NHLPA.

It’s a good sign but I’m sure there is still some negotiating to do because I doubt the NHLPA will just sign without asking to make any amendments. I think we’re still a couple weeks away from getting an announcement. I hope it’s wrapped up in the next couple days but I’m sure it will take a bit longer cuz this deal isn’t as rosy for the NHLPA as the Owners are broadcasting to the public.

• Cal says:

Rosy enough. Only a couple of the NHL players can make the same elsewhere. Where else can you make 500K as one of the worst players on your team?

• Hobie Hansen says:

Oh absolutely. However, the players leave everything in the hands of the lawyers who’s job it is to insure they get the absolute best deal for their clients.

• Andy and the habs says:

I guess you had to let your excitement subside before commenting. It make sense that way for me too. Let’s not forget this is a statement made from one side. We have not heard what NHLPA thinks of the proposed new agreement.

• commandant says:

Exactly.

Bettman hasn’t revealed all the little nuances in the fine print yet.

Are they still guaranteed contracts?
        Is he asking for big escrow?
        Does he want to redefine HRR still?

Where’s the catch?

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Bill H says:

I noticed the “in the spirit of getting a deal done” quote as well. The way I see it, that suggests that previous offers were not done in the spirit of getting a deal done. i.e. the owners have been bargaining in bad faith up until now.

35. habsfan0 says:

It’s a beautiful day in TO.

Good time to get a deal done.

36. smiler2729 says:

I’ll believe this when it happens but I can see the idiot players rejecting it.

_______________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.

37. commandant says:

It certainly sounds like a good deal.

But I’m gonna wait a few days before I get my hopes up. I don’t trust these guys. It wouldn’t shock me if Bettman buried something in the fine print of the offer.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

38. frontenac1 says:

Bettman making concessions? Beware Amigos. He is a gunsel ,a bully and a predatory shyster.

39. mrhabby says:

this means Cherry will be back…damn.

40. Sounds like Bettman is a hero! He saved the season!

The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/
    Twitter: @teliopost

41. Trisomy 21 says:

Back the truck up. Is this a new definition of hockey revenue the league is playing around with? Last I heard the league changed the definition to be 2-3% lower than HRR was defined to be last year…
    so in reality it’s more lik 52/48% in favour of the owners. that’s why they were sitting down for minutes at a time arguing about the definition of HRR

42. Price07 says:

If the cap goes down to 55M there’s no way the habs can afford to keep Gomez (not that I would have kept him anyways..). Hamilton: make way for your newest centreman SCOTT GOMEZ

43. mrhabby says:

$3.3B x50% / 30 TEAMS= a cap of $55m thats a reduction from $62m teams will have to clear room via trades or send down some stiffs to the farm.

44. shiram says:

conspiracy time : the inside is back on the Hockey inside/out logo.
    HIO knows something and is not letting us know!

45. Psycho29 says:

I don’t like Bettman. I dislike Fehr just as much….
    Let’s see him show his true colours now. I would be very pleasantly surprised if the NHLPA accepted.

Let’s keep our fingers crossed!!

• Habfan10912 says:

I think the framework is there for a deal but we probably should wait until the contract is signed. But its a positive turn of events for sure.

———————————–

46. mrhabby says:

its a good day here in TO.

1. we may have a hockey season.
    2. McGuinty resigned.
    3. Rob Ford’s been very quiet.
    4. sun is shining.

So does this mean the Republican spin doctor did good work with Bettman?

48. punkster says:

Does this mean a revised Summit schedule?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

49. jeffhabfan says:

That would be GREAT news. 50/50 was logical in the first place.Come on players say yes its fair and lets play HOCKEY.Then we can talk about Lineups and all the another stuff about the Habs.GO HABS GO.

50. Chrisadiens says:

Rumored additions to the CBA… 5 year deal max for players and NHLers assigned to the AHL will still count against the cap. I’m fine with that as long as there is a penalty free buy-out period.

::cough:: Gomez ::cough::

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

Brandon Prust tweeted this.

Brandon Prust‏@BrandonPrust8

Anyone want to play a road hockey game?! Join me at 4:30PM outside the Bell Centre right beside St. Hubert / the Metro.. Who’s in?!

52. Andy and the habs says:

I can see Buttman’s tactic in getting fans excited by mentioning the date of the start. This puts a lot of pressure on NHLPA.

53. Propwash says:

You mean….there might be hockey after all????

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

54. Mustang says:

Don’t forget that it is our favorite weasel, Bettman, that is putting this offer on the table so who knows what conditions he has tied to it. I say let’s wait a day or two until the NHLPA legal team has had a real chance to examine the entire offer before getting too excited.

Clearly the ownership side felt the economic pressures of having the Summit move to Hamilton from Montreal. Obviously Bettman and company couldn’t stand to see all ancillary economic benefits and spinoffs of a Summit go to Hamilton instead of Montreal and this is their reaction. ;-)

56. Phil C says:

If they are guaranteeing full value on existing contacts, this will put a lot of pressure on the NHLPA to settle, so this makes me hopeful that a deal gets done.

57. Cal says:

Will the PA see the sense in this 50/50 offer?
    Not to rain on our collective parade, but it’s Fehr that Bettman is dealing with. It will all unravel by tomorrow. (If this isn’t a Boonesque Reverse jinx, I don’t know what is!) :(

58. Ron says:

Now that Fehr and the Executive Board along with the negotiating committie are to have a conference call to discuss the proposal, and if they find it worth taking back to the PA players will the negotiating committee have the mandate to accept on the players behalf or is it put to a vote by all the 700 plus. I would presume each player would vote. If so with a hidden vote I would bet there will be a contract. The majority of players are not making the big big dollars and I would hope they out vote the primadonnas.

Any chance Max knew a deal was upcoming and thus the bizarro world quick departure from Switzerland?

Perhaps smell of hockey in the air here in Canada is what got the owners to put together a fair offer. Now if only Fehr knew the smell of hockey, someone quick get him a hockey bag full of recently used equipment.

Look at you people getting all excited :)

62. ” Pound for Pound he’s the baddest bowler in the league”
    TSN

I can’t believe I just heard that.

They Call Me Shane
    “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
    Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

63. Mavid says:

oooooh I am excited, please please please get it done I am with L just let their be hockey :-)

64. mrhabby says:

so the salary cap goes down. does this mean gomez and other under performers will be cut lose or sent down???

65. Gerry H says:

So. PK? If I’m reading this right, the fact that existing contracts are going to be honoured (somehow) HAS to mean that new contracts will be squeezed in order to get to 50-50. Can’t see how else the math works.

This could get tricky.

• Blondie says:

I’m thinking there’ll be a buyout exemption to help teams deal with existing contracts and a new cap. Bye bye Gomer.

• bleedhabs81 says:

Correct me if I am wrong, but that is not how it works.

The cap is the same. Maintain status quo for contract amd negotiations

The only thing that is different is the escrow payment at the end of the year (which is tied to hockey revenue).

I could be way off base here.

• mrhabby says:

and hear i thought the cap was going down..damn..lol

• Gerry H says:

My understanding is that the NHL offer goes to 50% of HRR this year. That translates to about a 12% reduction (or about $62MM, rather than the projected $70MM per B Mckenzie). All contracts to be honoured over the life of the new CBA. The only way to do that (other than buyout provisions) is to take money out of future cap increases over the life of CBA to back fill that 12% reduction. That would mean that the Cap would grow more slowly than HRR over the life of the deal, meaning future contracts will constrained.

I too could be way off base. And, remember, there’ll be a counter-offer, which could close the gap somewhat. Perhaps they’ll move toward 50%, rather than start there year 1. But the pressure is clearly now on PA. Owners have taken a major shot of H2O with their wine. By making the deal contingent on a full 82 game season, which is very reasonable, they’ve turned the tables on PA’s key negotiating position that existing contracts must be honoured. Can’t get 82 games in much beyond Nov 2.

17 more sleeps.

• bleedhabs81 says:

Me thinks we are missing a major detail here.

I think you may be right with the 50/50 split over a period of x years… that makes the most sense. Otherwise, teams would not fit under the cap or players would have salary rollbacks to make it all work the way it is presented on TSN.

• Gerry H says:

NHL said publicly that it would be 50/50 from Year 1, which does mean a lower cap. That has historically been achieved by rolling back salaries. Now, the NHL has said that they will honour existing salaries over the life of the CBA, so one has to assume that future caps will be held back by an amount sufficient to permit those reduced salaries to be back-filled. That will be partly offset by buy-out provisions, but I don’t see that playing a major role, since there are plenty of teams that wouldn’t be able to take advantage of that.

• mrhabby says:

bettman is no dummy as much as we all hate him. he has to look good and he can say his side saved the season by making that offer and turning the tables at the same time. it was always going to be 50/50.

66. mrhabby says:

of course its a roll back…57% to 50% and a nice increase in revenues for the owners from 43%. The PA and NHL run the risk of being the laughing stock of the pro sports in NA if not already ..if this was not settled soon.

67. mark-ID says:

Let’s get the projected lineups going already…..

• flowerpower_74 says:

Pacioretty Desharnais Cole
      Galchenyuk Plekanec Gionta
      Gomez Eller Bourque
      Prust White Moen
      (Armstrong & Nokelienen )

Gorges-Subban
      Markov-Emelin
      Diaz-Bouillon
      Kaberle

GALCHENYUK FOR 9 GAMES WITH THE BIG CLUB THIS YEAR!!

68. mark-ID says:

Ok….great news! and they are all still millionaires. Perfect!

69. Ron says:

We can only hope the PA accepts this and training camp gets under way asap. No time for exhibition games but inter squad will have to do. Those in Europe would be back by first of week and then the fun begins for another season of Habs hockey. Go Habs GO.

70. Gerry H says:

Well, it looks like this is going to get done. Fehr’s response, “an excellent start,” says it all. Only 17 more sleeps!

71. Blondie says:

This looks pretty promising; no salary roll back and 50/50 split should be acceptable to the players. Let’s get NHL hockey rock ‘n rolling again!

72. L Elle says:

If true, WOW. I didn’t think the owners would cave so fast. Something fishy? Who cares!

PLEASE let there be hockey. :)

• TommyB says:

Cave? It would be a, what, 7% increase in share of revenue for the owners. I wouldn’t call that caving at all. More like strategic planning right from the start. Any chance the scheduler was busy working overtime this summer drawing up Schedule A, and Schedule B?

At any rate, I don’t give a rat’s *** which side can claim a victory. Just drop the puck. There is time for a short training camp, without pre-season games, if they sign this deal in a few days. Make it happen.

73. habsnyc says:

I am hopeful this offer could be the basis for an agreement.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

74. Mattyleg says:

That would be nice.

I’m getting awful tired of watching the NLL (National Lawyer’s League).

I have to admit, it’s an improvement from watching New Jersey play, action-wise, but the cheerleaders leave a lot to be desired…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

75. flowerpower_74 says:

Come on Players Association, Sign the deal and get it done!

GALCHENYUK FOR 9 GAMES WITH THE BIG CLUB THIS YEAR!!

• Luke says:

Not sure if you’ve watched Galy at all this season, but you may want to update your sig to something like:
      “Galchenyuk please work on the defensive zone coverge for the rest of your season in Sarnia or wherever you get traded to”

It’s been a little iffy… (and “iffy” is me being nice).

• Price07 says:

As long as this guy can put up some offensive numbers I’m not too worried. Its about time we get an offensive star. We have a ton of good two way/defensive forwards. We have tons of defense in our system and a star goalie. Last year, despite being last in the east we had the 5th best goals against. (13th in the conference for goals scored).

Time for this team to start scoring goals to win games.

76. Phil C says:

I thought they agreed a while ago to keep the definition of HRR the same. Did this change?

77. JF says:

They agreed to that in their offer of 12 September, but that offer was withdrawn when the lockout was imposed. There were meetings a couple of weeks ago about the definition of HRR, with no agreement being reached. Unless this new proposal contains a definition of HRR to which the players can agree, they’ll turn it down. But it might be a starting point for negotiations – of which there have not really been any so far. But the players can’t drag their feet on this. The League’s offer is for an 82-game season starting 2 November; if an agreement cannot be hammered out quickly on the basis of this new proposal, the season will probably be lost.

78. English is not a Crime says:

Or just blind to think this deal is fair to the players. I took a look at the basics in the proposal and on every single point the owners want the players to make significant concessions with nothing going back the other way