The NHL Players’ Association tabled a new proposal on Thursday that it hoped would end the lockout.
They were wrong.
The Canadian Press reported that the league rejected the offer and that no future talks are planned.
NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr told reporters in New York that the players “responded comprehensively” to the issues that had been the focus of meetings over the last couple of days, including player pensions and transition payments. He added that the proposal the players presented was “a clear outline” to end the dispute.
It was an eight-year proposal with an option for opting out after Year 6.
The Canadian Press reported that Fehr received a voicemail from the league saying the moves the players made were not acceptable and there was no reason to remain in New York for more talks. Fehr said Thursday’s development suggests the dispute will “not be resolved in the immediate future.”
Read more by clicking here.
(Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)