NHL makes its latest offer to players public

gary_001web

The National Hockey League wants the public to know what it is offering the players in its latest proposal, publishing it in full on the league’s website on Wednesday morning.

The offer presented to the NHLPA on Tuesday is a six-year deal, with a mutual option for a seventh, and includes a 50-50 split in revenue and would see a full 82-game schedule starting on Nov. 2. For the season to start on Nov. 2, a new CBA would need to be signed by Oct. 25 with training camps opening the next day.

If the NHL sticks to its original schedule (adding games lost to the lockout on available dates), the Canadiens would be off on Nov. 2 and open the season Nov. 3 in Vancouver before returning home to face the Phoenix Coyotes on Nov. 6. You can see the Canadiens’ original November schedule by clicking here.

The NHLPA is expected to respond to the NHL’s offer on Thursday in Toronto.

The Canadian Press offered some other highlights from the offer, including:

— an official salary cap of $59.9 million for the 2012-13 season, with the provision that teams can actually spend up to $70.2 million for one year to ease the transition.

— a new rule that would allow teams to retain a portion of a player’s salary in trades.

— the reduction of entry-level contracts to two years.

— a term limit on any contract beyond that set at five years and a stipulation that the average annual value can only vary up to five per cent. This is a mechanism designed to eliminate the long-term, back-diving deals that became popular during the previous CBA.

— the elimination of re-entry waivers.

— an annual revenue-sharing pool of $200 million, half of which is raised from the 10 richest teams, and the creation of a committee to determine how the money is distributed. The NHLPA would be given representation on the committee.

— the introduction of a “neutral” third-party arbitrator to handle appeals on supplemental discipline with a “clearly erroneous” standard of review.

You can read more by clicking here.

You can read the entire NHL offer by clicking here.

The Gazette’s Pat Hickey believes the players would be crazy to turn down the NHL offer. You can read his column by clicking here.

Sean Fitz-Gerald of the National Post writes about a veteran negotiator saying the NHL public release of the offer sends an aggressive message to the union. Read that column by clicking here.

TSN’s Bob McKenzie writes that the NHL proposal wasn’t met with great enthusiasm by the NHLPA. You can read that story by clicking here.

Pierre LeBrun writes on ESPN.com that the NHL season hangs on the union’s response. You can read his blog by clicking here.

And in Todd Denault’s new book, A Season in Time, looking back on the 1992-93 season when the Canadiens won their last Stanley Cup, he notes that the rookie contract signed by Eric Lindros before that season paved the way for the NHL’s skyrocketing salaries. Read more on that by clicking here.

(Photo by Dave Sandford/Getty Images)

1. otisfxu says:

So the salary cap is 59M,,,but not really. How stupid is that. Why not say it will remain 70M this year and then go to 59M next year.
    So does it stay at 59M or is it still tied to HRR, and we are just restarting the ball rolling again to 70-80M in a few years?

2. Peter Young says:

A few days ago I posted a comment I don’t think many saw (largely because of my timing, at the tail end of a comments section). It provided a link to a story about the NHL hiring a hugely expensive powerhouse public relations firm (that works for the Republican Party) in an effort to improve the league’s image during the lockout.

The Los Angeles Times ran a story on the hiring–its website is where I got the link–but I don’t know if other mainstream media websites did.

What follows is a most cynical speculation–but at this point isn’t cynicism entirely warranted? It could be that the league’s latest offer is indeed a public relations ploy designed not at all in the hope of gaining player approval but with the intent of shifting public opinion in favor of the owners, who will now be viewed by some as making a good faith effort to start the season. If so, it’s very clever to put the onus for response on the players, who, to some at least, now become the obstructionists unless they accept the owner proposal, which apparently contains several features quite objectionable to the players. Many fans are so eager to get their hockey underway that they may get taken in by the immediate surface appeal of the thing without looking at the details.

I don’t claim that this view is definitive, but I do think it’s a possibility, particularly in view of the coincidence between the P.R. firm hiring and the sudden offer by the owners, which represented something of an about-face by the owners and apparently was unexpected by the players.

3. Chuck says:

Insisting on using the same interpretation of “hockey-related revenue” will sink this one. Everyone sees “50/50″ and thinks “fair”. Not even close. This wasn’t a proposal by the league; it was just a P.R. move.

___________________________________________________

4. punkster says:

Compliments of the season for Gary:

Just about a month ago
    I thought I might watch some games
    I stretched myself out on my antique couch
    To see the Habs or the Leafs or the Flames.

You know I’ll never sleep no more

It seem to me that it just ain’t wise

Didja ever wake up in the mornin’
    Seein’ Bettman goof behind your eyes?

Just about as evil as he could be

I am the Bettman goof
    I’m the creature all the fans been
    Talkin’ about

I am the Bettman goof
    They all reach for earplugs when I start
    Messin’ about

Tellin’ you all the bettman troof
    Here I’m is, the Bettman goof

Tellin’ you all the Bettman troof
    Here I’m is…

Reety-awright, he da Bettman goof

Reety-awright, he da Bettman goof

They said aw-reety
    An’ they was aw-righty
    An’ I was the Bettman for you, and I’m shady…

I got a nice big packaged deal
    Which is my Bettman proof
    My offer’s really smaller than the other guy wants
    Like a regular Bettman spoof
    If I raid your auditorium
    Don’t try to remain aloof…

I might snatch you up screamin’ through the window all nekkid
    An’ do it to you up on the roof, don’t mess with the
    Bettman goof

I am about as evil as a Boogie Man can be!

Tellin’ you all the Bettman troof
    Here I’m is, the Bettman goof

Tellin’ you all the Bettman troof
    Here I’m is, the Bettman goof

***Subbang Baby!!!***

5. Andrei Markov has only one assist in 6 KHL games…is anyone concerned that he isn’t the same player he was before his 2 injuries?
    Telio

The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/
    Twitter: @teliopost

I don’t miss hockey as much as I miss riling you guys. Get this deal done quickly so I can get back to being my amazingly awesome and at times annoying Internet self again.

I feel like Batman in Squeaky Clean City. I need some action.

7. Bripro says:

Yesterday, when Gary Bettman made his announcement, I figured that the end must be near.
    Today, I’m reading far more pessimism than I expected, on this site.
    But in the spirt of optimism, I give you my first, HIO….

Happy Hockey Song no. 1

Cue the music!

We’re on our way, to watching some hockey any day.
    It won’t be long, with players who really want to play
    It’s Bettman’s day, imposing on the hockey world
    And years from now, with another lock-out furled
    And every fan, our loyalty will ponder
    What’s up for grabs, the fans I know will wonder

They’ve made it right, by making a real offer on this day
    They’ve made it right, no longer looking the other way
    They’ll take the road that brings it back to our town
    So we can cheer, the end of this lock-down
    With Fehr upbeat, still hoping yet to hear more
    With players ready to skate back through the front door

And now that both sides want, for everything
    Time to bring back the boys from the other side of the world.

Even in jest, we’ve laughed at the supposed best they had.
    They now regress; they’ll try their best to not look so bad.
    To keep the fans, from beating another long path
    Back to New York, putting the kick to Bettman’s ass
    Forget the past, try to get the game on
    Maybe this time, they’ll learn from their lesson

And now that fans can see, dawn of hockey
    Now put it on TV, so we’re back on top of the world.

We’re on our way, to maybe spectating it today.
    It shan’t be long, players biting at the bit to play
    It’s now our day, imposing on the hockey world
    The CBA, to us it should be unfurled
    We are the fans, whose loyalty does support
    Our hockey game, the world’s greatest fan sport

We’re on our way, we’re on our way.

*********************************************
    “I’m here to tell you: Gary Bettman hasn’t felt this alive since he killed Harry Potter’s parents.”

8. This thread is more painful that grading Intro to Macroeconomics exams. I think I’ll just go and pleasure myself with a cheese grater!

Now we get to see the Donald Fehr that destroyed baseball, prove me wrong please Donald.

• Habfan10912 says:

All of yesterdays optimism is gone. Tomorrow we will know how far apart the two sides are again. Sigh.

———————————–

• Bripro says:

At risk of repeating myself….

The NHL’s divulging the new proposal is strategically brilliant, when you think about it.
        Now the union is stuck between a rock and a hard place.
        If they turn it down, given that the NHL clearly demonstrated some “flexibility” to try to be fair, then the NHLPA, Fehr and company will be seen as the bad guys.
        And if they accept, then we’ll have some hockey. Either way, I’m convinced the NHL thinks they’re in a win-win situation.
        If Fehr turns this one down outright, without some posturing and agreeing to “tweek” it, then I will consider him again as I did during the MLB negotiations of of 1994-95, just the dumb ass that I thought he was then.

But guys, I hope you’re right…. Prove us wrong Donald!

*********************************************

• habsfan0 says:

Donald Fehr didn’t destroy baseball.
      You give him WAY too much credit.

He was merely the catalyst that destroyed the Montreal Expos.

10. JohnBellyful says:

Does Bettman always bring an NHL urinal to his press conferences?

11. Mattyleg says:

Nice PR stunt by the NHL.
    That PR guru they hired is doing the job.
    Now the players will look bad if they don’t accept the offer and get the season underway.

Once again, another coup by the NLL.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

12. Habfan10912 says:

Oiler owner Katz gets a response.

Edmonton council told Oilers don’t need millions more in tax cash in arena deal
    ———————————–

13. Drew42 says:

In response to;
    twilighthours comment of:

“The players are the product. Can’t compare to other unionized businesses.”

Actually the players are just like any other employee… the product is actually the Sport of Hockey…

You don’t look at a construction firm or engineering design firm and say that the product is the engineers or construction workers doing the work, the product is what they produce; buildings, roads, design drawings, etc.

Just something to keep in mind… :)

_______________________________________________
    “I got to get the Swede, eh?” – Saku Koivu

• Sean Bonjovi says:

“… the product is actually the Sport of Hockey…”

The NHL’s primary product is actually small rectangular pieces of thin, glossy cardboard. If you insist on splitting hairs I suggest you use something sharper than your noggin.

• Drew42 says:

Fair enough they sell the players (or at least the players that become popular because they are good at the sport), but to have the players it still comes back to the game.

If these players chose not to come back (more money elsewhere, retirement, injuries, etc), and they were replaced with others, people WILL still go to watch the game. So in the long run, the product is still the game, just in this case the employees get greater recognition than in other areas.
        Think of a rock band (as so many people here have been using songs to parody the lockout)… the music is the product, if people like a song, they really don’t care who plays it (unless its a horrible rendition.. lol)

_______________________________________________
        “I got to get the Swede, eh?” – Saku Koivu

• HardHabits says:

The NHL is selling blotters?

• twilighthours says:

No, the product is the sport of hockey being played by the best players. If you’d still watch even with replacement players, then why wait? I’m sure there’s a local echl or junior a team near you – go watch some inferior hockey.

Understand the gist of your comment but players come and go, the game continues, regardless of great players retiring etc….

• twilighthours says:

I’m trying not to confuse the game as a whole with the nhl specifically. The nhl sells hockey at the highest level. The best players allow that to happen.

• commandant says:

Yes, but the next generation of the BEST players still comes… you dont replace retirees with echl players.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

I am just stating the fact that eventually the NHL will continue, with or without current core of players. The players are key, but they cannot overplay their hand is all. Obviously AHL/ECHL does not compare. But all players are eventually replaceable.

• twilighthours says:

If the nhl doesn’t need the best players, it should probably stop using Crosby, ovechkin, etc in all its tv and billboard spots.

The nhl sells the best players. That’s the product.

14. frontenac1 says:

So the jabbering dupe makes an offer and everyone gets a boner? The little puke is against he ropes and the players know it. Sit back Amigos and enjoy the show.

15. twilighthours says:

Damn, the twitter response to #bindersfullofwomen is freaking hilarious.

16. Habfan10912 says:

Could this thing get ugly again?

Hawks’ Toews on NHL’s offer: “There’s no real effort. It’s just a ploy to sway the positive light back in their favor”.

———————————–

17. Haborama says:

two things: 1, an 82 game schedule starting in early november: does that mean playoff hockey in July???!!?!?!?!? :O

2: tjis is my jam right now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcwQGFRQylc&feature=related

18. barry says:

Hey everyone,
    finally going to venture a comment after observing for a while. I’ll be very curious to hear your thoughts.

1. hockey value is created by the players, not the owners. If there no players, there is no game, ergo, there is no hockey. The players are too lazy to set up their own league, and prefer to whine about how their bosses are exploiting them.

2. The league is just a cynical bunch of bosses. They will say anything to screw you, I and the players out of the tiniest fraction of a cent. They don’t care a whit about ‘the game’ or ‘the fans’. If they cared about the fans, they wouldn’t have locked the players out and would have negotiated some other way (either being more earnest during the off-season, or negotiating during the season). If they cared about ‘the game’ they would let the sun-belt ‘strategy’ die and quit over-stretching the talent pool.

3. It is bull to say that it is ‘impossible’ to continue the season under the current CBA. The bosses’ profit scheme involves complicated financial trickery trying to set up new hockey markets and products, they are hedging their investments, that is the owner’s ‘game’, its not hockey.

4. what’s all the pressure about ‘preserving the 82-game season’ as if that is some kind of sacred number? Think about it. The players rightly can and should take their time to decide how much they want to play along with the owners bogus schemes (which are paying them so well, admittedly). But then the players will be playing the bosses against the fans, instead of the other way around. Either way, we lose.

5. If the players really cared about the fans, they would start their own league. But then. would the fan base respond? Would a stripped-down NHL, where the main thing is the actual game, not merchandising and luxury boxes, be sustainable in a world where the KHL would then be able to lure away top talent with enormous pay offers?

no solutions, fellow HI/Oers…

19. habs-fan-84 says:

The players would be best suited staying off Twitter. They put their foot in their mouths seemingly every time they type.

Also, they looked like idiots showing up to the meetings in New York (over the summer) dressed in shorts, tee-shirts and flip-flops.

That is all.

20. Sean Bonjovi says:

What reasons have TSN, CBC, and such giving for not just replacing every single scheduled NHL broadcast with an American Hockey League game?

• Cal says:

It’ s called contracts. Sportsnet has the deal to show AHL games. TVA Sports in French.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Do you really think it’s just that easy?

• HammerHab says:

They tried it a bit during the last lockout but it wasn’t feasible. The production expenses are the same but the revenue generated is much much lower. They would lose money broadcasting most of these games.

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

• Sean Bonjovi says:

ding! ding! ding! You win, but there’s no prize. Sorry.

NOW! … Is that because the American Hockey league doesn’t have NHL Owners, or because the American Hockey League doesn’t have NHL players?

I get the feeling that you know the answer HammerHab, so this is more of a question for everyone, and not so much a reply to you specifically.

21. Garbo says:

The whole issue of saying the players are getting a clawback by dropping from 57% to 50% is a complete red herring the NHLPA uses to get fans who don’t know better on their side.

The fact remains that despite dropping to 50%, if they do accept, they are still making WAY more money than they were prior to being capped at 57%, and will likely continue to make the same or more money.

The only reason for this is the league’s ability to grow the sport from where it was before the last lockout to the multi-billion dollar empire it is now. And the players benefited from the league’s efforts all along.

The league raised the revenue up to where it is.

I’m not saying the league deserves all of that, but the whole idea that players are getting screwed in these negotiations is absurd. They make millions and will continue to make the same or more, despite dropping their revenue share.

50% of 3 billion is much more than 57% of 1 billion. It’s simple math.

22. slamtherimtim says:

Gary is the man , puts the pressure on fehr and all the players do is say the offer isnt good enough, they are not getting everything they want , so the players should shut up and let fehr hammer out the deal for them. these uneducated players are like a bunch of 16 year olds in high school. who think they know what they are talking about but an older more educated person really knows that they are just thoughts and not good ideas

thanks

23. habaholic68NJ says:

Either I am brilliant or there are a lot of dummies running the NHL and NHLPA. Just after the last year’s playoffs, I predicted that there will be trouble with the new CBA and that both sides will eventually settle for a 50-50 split, no roll backs, shorter term contracts and keep the salary cap intact. Doesn’t take a genius, just common sense. Let’s see if these greedy bastards can actually save this season.

*Listen to my instrumental tribute entitled “Habs at War” at http://petertoliasmusic.site11.com/Music_Site/OtherOriginalMusic.html

24. English is not a Crime says:

So the generous owners have proposed…
    We know you took huge roll backs and made all kinds of concessions last time, a few years ago and that was to give us our 57% salary cap and everything else. Well now we have record profits so we want you to give up even more. That will include:

50% instead of 57%… sounds fair right? 50/50, even though that 57 was what you dropped down to and agreed on last time. It’ll only result in about 1.6 billion dollars over the term of the contract. In return for allowing you to give up 1.6 billion dollars we will need to to make some concessions (no you heard that right, we’re going to take a bit of money from you, that we fought for last time and that we’ve offered you in the first place and for that honour, YOU are going to have to give up on everything across the board). We’re going to take away a lot of rights, a lot of contract options, security and so forth. Now kiss our feet and tell us how generous we are… may as well because the sheep out there all think you’re the ones being greedy now and not us, we’re generous and all that mwahahahaha!

• Habfan29 says:

It what business dothe employees make more than the owners???? Use replacement players and break the Union…..

• twilighthours says:

The players are the product. Can’t compare to other unionized businesses.

• Blondie says:

It doesn’t seem unrealistic for a company’s entire annual payroll to be greater than the company’s annual profit. Excluding banks and insurance companies of course.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Do you oppose a free market system in the NHL?

• Blondie says:

The NHL is more a managed economy than a free market system. The NHL participates in the free market competing against other sports and entertainment companies but it’s a little more socialist within itself with revenue sharing (however reluctantly) and collective bargaining on the owners side as well as the players.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

That’s true, and I’m glad you wrote it. For anyone who’d write “Use replacement players and break the Union” any reminded of the fact that many of the genius “Business Men” who run the NHL couldn’t make money without begging their suppliers for concessions conflicts with their world view. Pointing this out will either make them dizzy, or at least hurt their ears as they plug them with their fingers.

• Blondie says:

LOL – well put. :)

• chilli says:

The players aren’t employees – they are the product. So, with that in mind, the iPhone makes more than every single employee at Apple.

Tre

• English is not a Crime says:

1 Way to miss the point
        2 As a collective? Just about every company on the planet
        3 Good luck getting anyone to pay full price to watch scab players from the local beer leagues playing. Good luck explaining to season ticket holders why they’re paying full price to watch said players without an option not to as well.

25. Habitant in Surrey says:

…ha, well always a first time :) …got modded

…still think You should send Hickey to Hamilton to cover the Bulldogs Cowan

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

Bring Back Boone !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

26. RetroMikey says:

NHL hockey will never be the same when it comes back.
    Count me as one that will support minor league teams, junior teams, etc…than a bunch of overpaid hockey players playing poor quality in today’s NHL.
    Our once mighty Habs will endure another season of misery and hardship, so what’s there to be excited about if pro hockey comes back?

YEAH THE AHL IS BACK AND LET’S GO BULLDOGS!
    Will be nice to see good young kids fighting for a spot in the NHL. Maybe one day, we will see the NHL hockey a league of skill and tenacity.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

27. twilighthours says:

I guess I must really be a socialist because I’m still siding with the players on this one.

Smart move by Bettman to try and square the public relations fight.

28. Habfan29 says:

If the players refuse this offer and there is no deal by October 25th, I say it is time to bring in replacement players. What the hell the CBA has expired and if any of the locked out players want to play they will have to cross the picket line. Don’t trust Fehr since the 1994 MLB players Strike…..

29. Dennis says:

Just a little bit about players and their summer jobs way back when, before the NHLPA and million dollar contracts. http://dennis-kane.com/what-players-had-to-do/

Dennis-Kane.com

Gary Bettman is a genius and a master card player.

He may be hated by many people on this site but you have to at least acknowledge that he pulled an ace from the deck at the most opportune time.

• frontenac1 says:

Pulled an ace from the deck? More like a monkey from his Ass!

• The Jackal says:

Yeah, clearly he is a clever man who knows what he is doing. Most of the hate for him is undue, he does the owners’ bidding, maybe we should take a look at the owners instead, Bettman is their lightning rod – it’s his job.

• 24 Cups says:

Exactly.

Bettman is just doing what the owners want in terms of revenue splitting and player contracts. His job is made all the more difficult due to the fact that the owners have different levels of power which also splits them into different camps of interest. That’s why he pushed to have the majority vote moved from 16 to 23 owners. It allows him more flexibility when it comes to controlling the agenda and keeping the owners on track in terms of the overall common goal.

As for the players, most fans still view them as their idols on the ice, not as a collective, negotiating a CBA for billions of dollars. They forget how there was an eventual mutiny against Bob Goodenow or how Paul Kelly was stabbed in the back. Not to mention players going over to Europe to steal jobs on the premise of “staying in game shape as well as the love of the game”. Please.

None of this had anything to do with Gary Bettman.

Now, in one aptly timed move, he turns the heat from himself (and the owners) onto the players. He’s trying to save the season with a fair offer, or so he says. LOL. Many fans will buy into this notion (and already have based on various blog comments).

Rest assured that Fehr knew this would happen. It will be interesting to see which card he plays next.

• bwoar says:

Been saying this for a while. Bring from WPG I have plenty of good ol’ fashioned hate for the rube who took hockey from a failing market and put it in… the freakin’ desert (!) He might as well have dug a big hole there first, to bury that team in.

But a grudging respect is due to a guy who spends every day taking it on the chin like Gomez, but who can’t hide out in Alaska. Rather, the little scoundrel smiles everywhere in public and simply keeps playing the game like a master.

Is this the year? For me, yes.
      I’m cheering for the rat-fink commish from now on, and my hatred is moving on to the swollen-ego half-wits who play it for ever-more-unrealistic gobs of money. No more will I hold out reason to try to argue for player safety in the NHL (amateurs, of course, pros, nyet.) If they are dumb enough to treat the game this way off the ice, and dumb enough to play it without concern of each other at all ON the ice, let them make hamburgers and vegetables out of each other and forget ‘old time hockey’ in the NHL in favour of ‘Milbury’s Delight’. It’s not like we’re losing any brilliant minds underneath the wave of concussions.

• Ron says:

This is not unlike the dirty political strategy maneuvers playing out in election campaigns. Considering all the tweets by the majority of PA player members that spew garbage, this move is a somewhat well timed action. All the onus is now put on the NHLPA to rebut the latest offer. I think with the offer out in play to all fans and media alike it will make it hard for the PA to just not outright pass it off. It also gives the players the proposed layout that might not otherwise have been available to them all, just the negotiating committee.

31. TommyB says:

So much for Bettman’s claim that the NHL does not negotiate through the media or the public.

Up to this point, Bettman has done a good job of staying out of the public eye and the media, using Daly to do most of the question-answering. Too bad he didn’t continue on in that way. Putting this offer out to the media and the public won’t be looked upon favorably by the PA, I think.

32. Cal says:

Ain’t it nice to be discussing something a little more tangible? Fehr will drop a load on this and the NHL will be met by a hard-ass response. In other words; no deal.
    Then, the NHL, after negotiating to October 24th, will pull the plug on the whole thing by about 5 PM that day, citing “NHLPA intransigence.” Then, the moron players will lose 100% of their salary instead of 5 to 10%. Then, the “greatest fans in the world” will kidnap both Bettman and Fehr and leave them in a little hole in the ground. Kinda like Hoffa. ;)

• shiram says:

Habs are building a condo tower, that could be a worthwhile site to “Hoffa” Bettman.

• Bripro says:

I don’t think so.
      Now the union is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

*********************************************

• commandant says:

I suspect we’ll see an NHLPA counterproposal.

The question now is what that entails.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Cal says:

Employees dictating salary is okay in some bizarro world. However, we are dealing with “entertainment” and “entertainers.” What the market will bear and all that blah blah.
        NHL is attempting to demonstrate they are making proper attempts at negotiating. The NHLPA is huffing and puffing and saying it results in a huge loss for the players money-wise. Utter poppycock. There is no other hockey league in the world that is paying players $13 million bonuses this season. There is no other hockey league sinking $98 million each for 2 UFAs.
        Stars will continue to be paid very well. The others? Not so much. Welcome to real life.

• Bripro says:

It appears that the NHL’s strategy of divide and conquer is working.

*********************************************

33. Luke says:

So the NHL is catching flak for publishing the offer.

Seems to me it just pre-empts the eventual disclosure of its contents from ‘unnamed inside sources’ (on both sides).

Look at when the story broke yesterday: LeBrun had numbers and details before any press conference or official releases were made. Lupul may not like it, but both sides negotiate in the media. Always have. Today’s is just super transparent.

• Luke says:

I wonder how TSN got a hold of the NHLPA response letter?

• huge_polar_bear says:

I think the only flak is from the players on this issue. Media loves it, they will get to really get into it on all their websites / tv shows / printed stories. The fans have got to like it as for once we are not left guessing.

The players of course hate it because all of a sudden if they play hardball and come out too strong against the proposal, they become the “greedy ones” in the eyes of the public. This was a masterful PR move from the league. Get the fans on your side (since most fans will just hear the headline of 50/50 split and won’t delve any deeper into the proposed agreement). The fans would get a full 82 game season.

I think it would also mess with some of the players’ heads. Full season of hockey, no loss of salary this year. 50/50 sounds better than the 47 they were offering before. Sure the NHLPA and the players will find some stuff that will need to be changed, but in my opinion they can’t now just come out and say “this offer sucks we reject it”.

Divide and conquer + win the PR battle with fans… the real fun begins now (as do meaningful negotiations hopefully).

I bet this proposal was written long time ago with a specific date when to release it. I am sure there are several other alternative proposals that are already written with a date in mind.

You don’t make millions and billions by simply reacting. Everything is planned in advance.

NHL is a total turn off at the best of times. Now it’s a sleazeball lawyers fest

35. commandant says:

Just a thought on including AHL contracts in the deal that I edited into my CBA Article.

Its not just one way contracts that count against the cap… its all AHL deals above $105,000 per year. Since the NHL wants to include AHL salaries as part of the players 50% share, don’t be surprised if the NHLPA offer has them asking for some AHL revenues to be included in HRR*

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• commandant says:

clarification from the NHL site: “We are proposing that the salaries of minor league Players on NHL contracts (above a threshold of $105,000) be counted against a Club’s Cap. This provision is intended to prevent Clubs from “stashing” or assigning players to the minors (or any other professional league) for “Cap management” purposes. We are not proposing that any salary paid to minor league Players on NHL contracts be counted against the Players’ Share.”

Since it doesn’t count against Players share this will make it easier to accept for the PA.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• jedimyrmidon says:

So does this “benefit” the Rangers who already have Redden stashed down there? As in, this regulation wouldn’t apply to the player(s) already down in the AHL? Any other team with expensive contracts in the minors?

• commandant says:

No it would start immediately from what I gather.

It f’s over the Rangers pretty good.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• jedimyrmidon says:

It would be quite surprising to me if that occurred. I can’t see the Rangers owner who I assume is influential to sign on.

Not that I would have any sympathy seeing as they have signed so many big free agent names over the years (a disproportionate amount).

36. Chrisadiens says:

No amnesty clause in this CBA. Not good. We may actually be stuck with Gomez.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Timo says:

WHy would you want to get rid off the guy who will come back in the best shape of his career?

• Chrisadiens,

Not only is there no amnesty clause, this proposal will actually take away a teams ability to bury players in the minors and not have their salary count against the cap…that means there is no way to get complete cap relief from Gomez`s contract even if we wanted to…

The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/
      Twitter: @teliopost

• Chrisadiens says:

Exactly, the amnesty clause was our last hope. Well, maybe HH is on to something, Dallas could be a destination for Gomez. ;)

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Blondie says:

Maybe Timo is onto something and Gomez will come back a changed man and resurrect his long dormant career. :)

• Torsion Shear says:

If I’m reading this right though, ff somehow they could get him to retire, it would completely screw over the Rangers.

All years of existing SPCs with terms in excess of five (5) years will be accounted for and charged against a team’s Cap (at full AAV) regardless of whether or where the Player is playing. In the event any such contract is traded during its term, the related Cap charge will travel with the Player, but only for the year(s) in which the Player remains active and is being paid under his NHL SPC. If, at some subsequent point in time the Player retires or ceases to play and/or receive pay under his NHL SPC, the Cap charge will automatically revert (at full AAV) to the Club that initially entered into the contract for the balance of its term.

• Chrisadiens says:

Huh. That’s a great point Torsion. I didn’t think of that. It would be kinda cool to stick it to the NYR after they hosed us on that trade….

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Blondie says:

I was thinking the same thing when I read that, lol.

Maybe we could use the $3M salary transfer clause to bribe him to retire? It would serve Sather right.

• athanor says:

Perhaps the last hope to get rid of the cost totally, but doesn’t the proposal that would allow clubs to divvy up cap space in a trade offer some solace.
          Habs could trade him to a team that still needs to reach minimum salary level by offering to retain responsibility for a a percentage of the cap hit.
          It wouldn’t be total freedom, but it could assuage the pain a bit, I think.