NHL honours Price

CareyPrice2

Carey Price has been named the league’s first star for the week ending Oct. 30.

Second and third stars are Edmonton goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin and Philadelphia forward Jaromir Jagr.

The NHL citation:

Carey Price backstopped Montreal to three consecutive victories, posting a 1.33 goals-against average and .950 save percentage, as the Canadiens improved to 4-5-2 on the season.

Price began the week by stopping 20 of 21 shots in a 5-1 win over the Philadelphia Flyers Oct. 26, the Canadiens’ first home win in 2011-12 and the end of a six-game winless streak overall.

Price also achieved a personal milestone, posting his 100th career regular-season victory. The 24-year-old became the seventh-youngest goaltender in League history to reach the century mark. He made 29 saves in a 2-1 victory over the Boston Bruins Oct. 27 and turned aside 26 shots in a 4-2 win over the Bruins two nights later, completing the home-and-home sweep over the Canadiens’ historic rival.

With a career record of 102-80-26, Price is one victory behind Georges Vezina (103-81-5) for 11th place on the franchise win list.

1. habs__24 says:

Everlasting1

… do you even watch hockey or have you seen eller play? he is young has amazing vision, hands and can shoot the puck he makes the plays only elite players even attempt, he may not make it 95 % of the time but you can see the kid sees the ice very well you dont let that kinda raw talent go before you know for sure wont mature. Even at this stage of his development he is not dispensable. he has the potential for a great second line centre, I would not trade ellerour out of your mind if you do unless you get something great in return. I have never posted but when I read ignorent comments on a player that clearly can play right now and be a good 50- 70point point getter on the second line in the future

2. allisonk says:

It’s all about winning!
    norelco razors

3. durocher says:

Josh Gorges’ teammate from the Memorial Cup winning Kelowna Rockets, DJ King, is on waivers. He’d be a part-time enforcer, likely playing no more than 5-6 minutes a game.

4. durocher says:

McDonough has 3 goals as a defenseman
    Gomez has 1 assist as a “second line” center

5. habsgod says:

here’s a true story about halloween,i took my 10 year old son out for trick or treating tonight here in regina sask, and we go up to this house and a guy in a leafs shirt answers the door when my son yells trick or treat! and my son says’ dad look he cheers for the leafs! and guy says hi buddy do you and your dad cheer for the leafs too? ! my son says to the guy no my dad and i don’t cheer for losers! hahahahaha hahahahaha that was funny and the look on his face when he got told by a 10 yr old! and the guy, says what team do you and your dad cheer for,my son says god’s team the montreal canadiens! they’re the only team that matters! i was/ have never been prouder to be a habs fan or to have my son as a habs fan! he’s a 4th generation habs fan!

6. Everlasting1 says:

I find it laughable at the gushing over Eller, and the inflated trade value some here give him. He’s a middling career 3rd liner at best. Dispensable. He’s on pace for another 7G season..ooooh. Enjoy your season.

——————————————————————-
    “And the LORD our God delivered him before us; and we smote him, and his sons, and all his people. And we took all his cities at that time, and utterly destroyed the men, and the women, and the little ones, of every city, we left none to remain.” – Deuteronomy 2:33

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

7. caladin says:

Goaltenders make teams look good, but that’s a two way street. Halak was great that year, but those who called it just a hot goalie weren’t paying attention. Washington and Puttsburgh were held to the perimeter and got to shoot as often as they wanted from the outside, were unable to get cross seam passes through and were also unable to penetrate into position to put away rebounds.
    We were unable to maintain that against Philly (due to fatigue, injury, a bigger stronger opponent and excellent opponent coaching) and Halak was beaten like any goalie without support.
    Price is an amazing goalie, but the team is a big part of it.
    Brodeur played in jersey for a reason.

8. jimmy shaker says:

DeanDalley:

Is that what happened two years ago? IF you want to believe that, then I’m not even going to try and reply to it. You’re way to hung up on Price if that’s how you think the season went down my friend. Jaro carried that team for 2 rounds, and was the only reason they did anything. Just like Carey carried the boys last year just to make the playoffs. I like Carey, but I also like Jaro. Just being realistic on both tenders, where I think most people on here are not!

Shaker

9. jimmy shaker says:

Sholi:

I’ll buy ya a boilermaker and a dos equis!

Shaker

10. kempie says:

Are there links on HIO to a Habs game schedule, standings, team & player stats and boxscores? Cuz, ya’d think.

11. Just wanted to remind everyone who is attending the Charity auction that you should start to get your donations ready soon.

The auction is only 19 days away.

The 2011 Summit

This will be one to remember.
    And don’t forget the Children’s Foundation Auction.
    Raffle tickets are 20.00 ea or 3 for 40.00
    Everyone should bring one item to raffle off.

Shane Oliver
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

12. twocents says:

Attaboi Pricey!

13. sherburnehabfan says:

great job by price and team effort by all last week.

question for those who know more about hockey than I do.

PK likes to take the slap shot from the LH face off circle on the PP.
    what if it was also a slap pass to cammy on the right side? make the goalie think.

sat. night with a two goal lead and on the PP in the third period should there be 2 d men on the points? not a knock on Plecks but

• Stev.R says:

Thats a tough pass to be accurate with because of how PK would be standing in regards to where the puck is coming from and where the net and Cammy are, and the distance and the speed of the pass he would make would make it tough for Cammy too. Also, as soon as the pass is made to PK, the seam to Cammy should close, if he’s open to begin with. Its a tougher play but if its there I don’t see why they couldn’t pull it off.

• The Cat says:

I agree that there should be 2 d-men on the powerplay but for some reason coaches today think d-men cant all create scoring chances or lack creativity. Which is silly, theyre pros.

14. Danno says:

What the heck happened to Halak?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• shiram says:

He had a half season hot streak. Got a big contract out of it.

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

• DearyLeary says:

I think it’s a combination of two things.

One, I think that Montreal’s team doesn’t get enough credit for limiting high quality scoring chances, and allowed low quality exterior shots in his playoff run.

Two, the Blues were the first team in the NHL to give Halak the reins. There is undoubtedly a learning curve to becoming a top notch starting goaltender. Being expected to start 50+ games takes something special. I think we saw hints of his endurance when he would just have total flop games in his big playoff run.

I think Halak will eventually be a good starting goalie, but his raw athleticism, physique, and mental makeup just didn’t add up to what Price has. I think Montreal got a good return for Halak, it was a tough market for goalies, and I think Eller has the potential to be a very strong #2 center for a long time (and he’s got good size!). People always talk about depth and size at center as an important asset, and Eller offers skill/size down the middle of the ice.

I think Halak will come around, but Price is/was undoubtedly the better player. I’m glad the staff is vindicated in the deal they made.

• JF says:

Despite his heroics during the playoffs, I was never sold on the idea of Halak as a starting goaltender. In the centennial season, he had his chance while Price was injured to prove he could play several games a week and put up strong performances. He didn’t really succeed in doing it. That is, he won games but his numbers were never more than average, although he had a few outstanding games. The following year, he put up better numbers, but he tended to be streaky – a hot streak, as in the playoffs, followed by a period of really mediocre play. I was never convinced that he had the consistency to perform well on a regular basis. Last year in St. Louis, he started off sizzling hot but cooled off after the first eight games or so, and never found that level of excellence again. I suspect this year will be similar.

• The Cat says:

For one thing, Stlouis often dominates the shots on goal, thats never worked out for Halak.

• Until he stops kicking shots back into the slot, he’ll always be just another goalie in the NHL.

Montreal made him rich, and the Blues are paying for it.

AKA Huet.

Shane Oliver
      Brandon, MB,Canada
      R7B 2R7
      hockey@sholi2000.com
      Ph- 204 724 8418

• jimmy shaker says:

Price gave that nice juicy goal to buffalo 2 weeks ago that turned that game in the sabres favour, as well as some very suspect goals so far this year as well. Price is a good goalie, a better goalie than Jaro, but Jaro has performed better than Carey where it counts…..the second season! I have faith in both tenders that they can do the business for their teams!

Shaker

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

I always found Halak shaky if he didn’t get rest every fifth game or so. He didn’t seem able to keep his concentration for longer, and would start having trouble. I’d expect him to be a strong goalie longterm if he has a strong backup for at least 25% of the games. He can be the guy that gets the Blues “there” (wherever the Blues may go), but only if the team has a second, strong backup goalie to get him through his fades.
      I opposed the trade, but I was dead wrong. I am delighted now. Even if Jaro had turned into a Martin Brodeur workhorse for the Blues, Eller is looking to be a major acquisition for the Habs.

• Habies says:

Two things happened:

1- Our defence were epic;
      2- Gauthier is a better GM than Doug Armstrong*.

(*Doug Armstrong replaced Bob Gainey in Dallas in 1999 as GM and I think the Bob/PG combo had been brewing an 11 year plan to exploit his weaker brain.)

Voila. Matthew in Myanmar-

15. jimmy shaker says:

Should’ve had 3 doughnuts in those 3 W’s, but he and the team got the 6 points which is most important. Get off your knees and out of the blue paint price and everything will be great! congrats!

Shaker

• DEANDALLEY says:

Get off his knees? Really?

Price along with 99% of every other goalie are butterfly goailes.

What goalie plays out side of the blue paint other than blueline shots.

Think before U post Jimmy!

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

• jimmy shaker says:

Umm….99% of goalies play the butterfly? Is that a fact? Because 99% of facts are made up! Anyway, what I’m talking about is Price being down on the ice for about 5 seconds before the cubs scored there 2nd goal last game and him being stuck in the blue paint on lucheese’s goal, the cubs first goal last game. There’s a time to play the butterfly and a time to challenge players. Ala tim thomas, jonas hiller, marty brodeur and ryan miller. Price can be the best goalie in the league by far, but not until he understands he’s got to play big, stand up and challenge….let the shooters make the first move. And next time, don’t embarrass yourself by responding to my takes.

Shake and bake, I’m out!

Shaker

• DEANDALLEY says:

Get over yourself Jimmy!

I’m sure Price needs advice from U Jimmy.

Tim Thomas? Really?

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

• jimmy shaker says:

Truth hurts my friend, doesn’t it? And no, he doesn’t need any advice from me, but if I ever did get to share my opinion with him, I would be glad too! (Thomas) Better GAA and save % than pricey last year, and won the cup and conn smyth……am I right? And we all know the style he plays. Can’t argue with those facts now can you?

Shaker

• hehe, Jimmy’s goin down.

Jimmy’s got something to say.

Jimmy’s Wrong again.

(Who am I?)

Shane Oliver
            Brandon, MB,Canada
            R7B 2R7
            hockey@sholi2000.com
            Ph- 204 724 8418

• jarat says:

Jimmy’s gonna put the moves on Elaine.

16. habsfan1001 says:

Congrats Carey, well deserved and keep up the good work.

17. Mick says:

Halak has 1 win and 5 losses his GAA is 3.58 and SV% .843 . I like Halak but we all know we got the better deal in Price and Eller !
    Ya Baby!!!!!

18. deebee says:

i would like to dedicate this thread/post to all the Price h8rs, the Price isn’t right fan club, and the bring back Halak group.

19. MTLForever says:

Can’t wait for Subban to get going, 35 shots and 0 goals. It’s definitely coming.

facebook.com/allaboutthehabs – like the page!

20. habs03 says:

Is there anyway we could get a look at the Halak trade tread. I need a good laugh, Halak has been stinking the joint for the Blues. Worst part is that this year there D is playing amazing yet he is finding ways to loss games.

21. V says:

Great news to see Price win this because it tells the rest of the league… he’s baaaaaacccccckkkkkk.

And Price has been good. But those gaudy numbers he posted this week are a real testament to the team. Price was there when they needed him and they did not seem to need him as much as they have in the past.

22. Pricey Habs says:

First Post… Hope to finally return the favor of enjoyable hockey talk to other readers here.

Congrats Carey!

• shiram says:

Welcome aboard!

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah, it all seems pretty sweet in the beginning…
      (takes a long drag from a cigarette and squints into the sunset)
      But soon it gets into ya. Into your head. Under your skin.
      (flicks butt into dry ravine)
      Pretty soon it’s like nothing else matters.
      (turns and walks away, boots churning up dust)
      And nothing you say or do is right no more.
      (smoke begins to rise from ravine, first a thin thread, then becoming heavy black billows)
      Nothing.
      (the entire ravine is on fire, burning cattle charge out of the inferno and into town, where they set buildings alight)
      See ya round, kid.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

23. Thomas Le Fan says:

So can we admit that our management has made some very good decisions? Picking Carey Price and keeping Carey Price being two them? Halak for Eller being another? Go Carey! Go Habs!

• J_P says:

I was always an advocate of keeping Price, and thankfully habs brass made the right decision. That decision is looking especially good because Eller looks like hes starting to break out a little bit, Carey just backstopped us to three straight wins, and halak has been absolutely atrocious for St Louis to start the season.

• mjames says:

As the saying goes “Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in awhile”. PG and gainey have assembled a fair to middling team which will never win the Cup. I for one am not really impressed with mediocrity .

At least the team is profitable which i guess is the point of this exercise.

mjames

• krob1000 says:

I understood that one…would have liked a little more return but was never against that even at the time it happened. I didn;t even know much about Eller….but the more he plays the more likeable he becomes. Because we did not draft him ,Halak peaked in Montreal and PRice has been stellar,etc…Eller also is being allowed to grow without immense pressure. Had he been our first round pick or Price struggled,etc it may have been diff’t….

• avatar_58 says:

Eller is a tough one. I like the guy but rumour has it PG didn’t even really look very hard, just lept at the first taker. Could be heresay…..but who knows

• pmaraw says:

what a snipe in that gm2 vs boston, more sniping please Eller! he brings a very nice puck control/dangling element to the team, but that shot was beautiful!

• joshua94k says:

Management has made some other good moves a well such as drafting PK Subban, Max Pacioretty, Tomas Plekanec, obtaining Cammalleri, Gionta, Moen, Gill, Cole, and finding character players such as Darche, Desharnais, Gorges who weren’t even drafted or emerged very low in the draft.

Name another team in the playoffs that was forced to play an elimination game without three of their top six defencemen at their disposal. Without James Wisniewski, without Josh Gorges, without Andrei Markov…These are your Canadiens; a team of warriors. – Eric Engels CTV

24. joshua94k says:

Happy Birthday to Tomas Plakanec who celebrates his 29th today.

If he needs someone to take a crucial faceoff, he calls Plekanec. When the Habs are facing a two-man disadvantage, Plekanec gets the nod. Need someone to hold a one-goal lead with a minute to go? Get Plekanec. Short a point man on the PP? Send out #14. Got a slumping winger? Stick him on Plekanec’s line.

• shiram says:

Happy Bday Pleky, hope you get a brand new turtleneck!

Moen for powerforward 2011/12!!

• J_P says:

What a stud this guy. The stat line alone will never do him justice. He brings so much more to the table than just numbers.

Once upon a time he came out, manned up, and flat out said he played like a little girl. what did he do after that? Oh i dunno, just became the habs best all around player. No big deal.

HBD TP14

• avatar_58 says:

Plek does more than his stats show. He’ll never be honoured by the NHL, but we know what he does

25. Say Ash says:

What if Weber didn’t score with 2 seconds left in the first on Wednesday? I mean, seriously, what if?

A note from Rejean Houle about our Summit Children’s Charity donation.

Dear Mr. Cobb,
    It is our pleasure to offer you a team signed hockey stick for your event at Baton Rouge.

Please note that Réjean Houle will bring the stick and meet your group at the restaurant November 19.

Hope everything goes well for your HIO group again this year and don’t hesitate to contact me for more information.

Best regards

Sylvie Nadeau
    Canadiens de Montréal

Two Summit game tickets, two Hall of fame tickets and two reservations for the raffle and pre game dinner at the Baton Rouge. Plus all the other events.
    Total Price $170—–Call Ian at 613-968-9807

Our 5th annual 2011 Hab’s Fan Summit is fast approaching, Nov. 18, 19, 20.

Everyone is welcome to any of our events, just identify yourself as a HIO member. But for the Raffle and pregame dinner, you must let me know well in advance for reservations.

Friday night at Hurley’s pub on big screen Hamilton Bull Dogs playing at the Bell Center.

We are staying at the Novotel hotel, discount rates at 866-861-6112

We will all meet and greet at Hurley’s pub Friday eve. Some of us will be having supper there, and name tags will be given out as we watch the Bull Dogs on the big screen playing at the Bell Center..
    Everyone is welcome to join us. Ware you team colors! and enjoy the evening.

Saturday morning, breakfast is at Chez Cora’s at 8:30am. You can order a la cart and everyone gets 15% discount off your bill.

After breakfast we walk over to the Bell Center for the Hall of Fame Tour at 10:30am and the Bell Center Tour is at 11:30am. You need to purchase a $5:50 ticket for the Bell Center tour.

After the tours there will be a professional presentation and press conference put on by former concussed hockey players. Kerry Goulet, Keith Primeau and other players who are Involved in educating the effects of concussion, depression and neurology rehabilitation.
    (location is the Novotel hotel, just up the street)

At 3pm the Children’s Foundation charity raffle at the Baton Rouge rest. bring one item to donate each if possible, so everyone gets a gift to go home with. We have raised over $6000 to date.
    Then our pre game dinner. With guests.

After that we walk across the street to the Ranger and Hab game.

After the game the 2nd floor of Hurley’s pub is reserved for us again, to celibrate the win. Anyone may join us, just identify yourself as a HIO member.

Please be generous with your charity raffle gifts and your purchase of raffle tickets. It is a way for the HIO community to give back to less fortunate kids. Our group HIO fans have raised over $6000 to date for the kids.

Enjoy talking hockey and meeting your wonderful HIO community at this years Summit.

See ya there.

Ian Cobb
    HIO Fan Summit Organizer (613-968-9807) if you need anything.

• HabsPEI31 says:

18 to 20 Nov?! Nuts!! I’m on exercise that weekend in Gagetown.

Have a great time, guys. Maybe next year!

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

27. HabFanSince72 says:

Looks like the most popular Halloween costume this year is the MILF.

The real story of last week was the play of Erik Cole. Price should be sharing the kudos with the guy who lit the spark for the team.

• J_P says:

Another poster and I were commenting on his excellent play in the other thread. It all started with the Florida game when he was by far and away our best player on the ice. Since that game, the guy has been an absolute monster. He’s really sparked the team. I also like the fact that he’s vocal, and handles the media extremely well. Definitely happy with the return on investment to date.

29. Kooch7800 says:

Man how good is Jagr been this year. 5 goals and 6 assists in 11 games…..good on em

Suggested Poll Question:

Should HockeyInside/Out continue providing links to articles written by Jack Todd? Yes or No.

31. DEANDALLEY says:

“King Carey” back a top of the throne again!

Habsolutely Love it!

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

32. Propwash says:

Go Carey!

_____________________
    Dooooooooooooooomed!™

33. Irishhabsfan says:

There is a reason my 100th anniversary sweater has the name Price and the number 31 on it.Keep up the good work Carey!

Remember guys, he cannot do it all by himself!

34. LA Loyalist says:

Question: what is wait time for a sports injury MRI in Quebec? And how mucho dinaro $ ???

Curious. I just had my first MRI. It was sure weird.

• Natrous says:

In Ontario, it’s free (covered by OHIP) and same-day (if you work at a hospital like I do) :P

My wife is currently in a 3 month wait for hers. I may just go to Buffalo and pay for one. But McGuinty says everything is just fine……

• J_P says:

There arent any private clinics here that do MRI’s?

Edit: After reading posts below it appears we arent talking about Quebec. As mentioned in posts below, there are plenty of private clinics in quebec.

• secretdragonfly says:

Free in Quebec and wait times depend on whether you live near a major centre or not – my brother had to wait 3 months (but he’s not an elite athlete, they move to the front of the line, for a price, I assume).

• HabFanSince72 says:

If you have insurance (which many people do) or are willing to pay $500-$1000 there is no wait in the private system (yes folks, Quebec has a large and active private health care system).

The wait in the public system depends on the urgency of your medical condition. For a tennis elbow it is probably 9-12 months.

Now, what is the wait in California for a Mexican farm worker injured on the job?

• ed lopaz says:

in montreal, my son was given an option last winter to wait about 3-4 months for public access to a free hospital machine,
      or pay $650 at a private clinic, get the test within 24 hours and results 48 hours later.

We haven’t been told of that option here in the GTA. It is so frustrating the wait, given my wife probably needs her hips replaced. Of course the wait to get in to see the specialist is 3 months also. So 1/2 year for anything to even start getting things rolling by way of operation at a minimum.

• HabFanSince72 says:

The Provincial Liberals have allowed a very extensive network of private medicine.

If you are referred to a McGill gastroenterologist for a GI scope, he/she will tell you it’s either a one year wait or it’s $500 to have it next week.

Well our next step is the appointment with the specialist Dec. 13th, I just know he will send my wife for an MRI, I will ask for those options. She went through this last year which led to an operation, but it has turned out unsuccesful, and it appears we are now heading down a road towards replacement. Thankfully she is in good shape, thus making recovery much quicker. But, the wait times between appointments and MRI’s etc. is so frustrating. Thanks for the tip HF72

• ed lopaz says:

here is a link to private clinics in the montreal area.

hope this helps.

• RD says:

It’s a long wait and 3 months sounds about right. Check with your health insurance provider to see if they will cover it.
      If yes, then same day.

35. DEANDALLEY says:

Carey Price is da MAN! ….

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

Not sure what is more exciting Price winning first star of week, or the 5 hours of coverage so far of O.P.P. following a stolen Semi with flatdeck all over southern ontario today

37. savethepuck says:

The first of many along with a 1st star of the month or 2 would be nice also.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

38. JD_ says:

That’s just great. Instantly adds $500K to next summer’s deal.

Way to go, NHL.

Attaboy, Carey!

39. avatar_58 says:

Dude is a scapegoat one minute and a hero the next. Such is the life of a montreal canadiens goaltender.

Atta boy Carey, I’ll always be a fan. :) The team needs him to succeed.

40. habsfaninboston says:

The Price is Right!

Sounds like the fans are pretty fed up with Luongo? I heard about the editorial the one paper ran telling the team to trade Luongo for Lecavalier, must be getting ugly there.

42. Kooch7800 says:

could you imagine that trade…..vinny for loungo. Tampa would take that trade in a heart beat and the Vancouver GM would be shot.

Loungo always has slows starts and I am personally not a fan of his but he is worth a heck of a lot more than Vinny.

43. J_P says:

Seriously, even though lecavalier is playing ok this year, that contract is still ridiculous. The author of the editorial clearly didnt think things through, because either Vinny has to play the wing, a sedin or kesler has to play the wing, or vinny is the most expensive third line center in the league not named scott gomez.

Correction: he would actually be the most expensive third line center in the league.