NHL fines Bruins’ Thornton for spraying water at Habs’ Subban

The NHL announced on Sunday that it has fined Boston forward Shawn Thornton $2,820.52 for unsportsmanlike conduct after he squirted water from the Bruins bench at Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban late during Game 5 Saturday night.

The fine – a half day’s pay – is the maximum allowed under the NHL’s collective bargaining agreement. No penalty was called on the play during the game, which the Bruins won 4-2 to take a 3-2 lead in the series. The Canadiens will be facing elimination in Game 6 Monday night at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

“I don’t know if it was (Thornton), but someone had squirted water twice at the end of the game in my visor and I couldn’t even see for a minute and a half,” Subban told reporters in Boston after Saturday’s game. “I was pretty upset about that, but that is part of the game.

“I don’t know if it is part of the game,” he added, correcting himself. “I am sure if that was me (who) did it, it would be a different story. It would probably be on the news for the next three days. I don’t expect that to be a story but listen, whatever it takes to win.”

Subban added: “I don’t want to take away anything from their team. They played well today, they executed. We have to be better. Now it’s do or die for us going back home. We have played well in our barn all year and in this playoffs so we have to execute.”

Thornton told reporters in Boston on Sunday: “I’ll pay the fine. I obviously agree with what the league did there. I’ll pay the fine and move on.

“I’m sorry that the silly incident kind of overshadowed how my teammates played and the great win and how good the series has been. I think that there’s definitely more important things we can be focusing on. I got caught up in the moment and I probably shouldn’t have done that. I’ll move on, get ready for Game 6 and hopefully have a good showing.”

Canadiens captain Brian Gionta told reporters in Brossard Sunday that he thought the NHL’s punishment of Thornton was enough.

“I still haven’t seen what happened,” Gionta said. “But from what I’ve read or whatever I’ve heard, it seems fair enough.

“I’ve seen worse. I guess what they’re trying to do is get guys off their game.”

After the Game 5 loss, Canadiens defenceman Josh Gorges told reporters in Boston that the Habs “had to step up and get the job done” Saturday night, but didn’t do it.

“We didn’t quit,” he added. “We kept pushing, we kept battling. There’s no quit in this team and we know what the stakes are now and we’ll go home and make sure we’re ready for Game 6.”

The Canadiens held an optional practice at 12:30 p.m. Sunday in Brossard. Alex Galchenyuk, sidelined with a lower-body injury, skated by himself Sunday morning.

Thirteen players took part in the practice: forwards Daniel Briere, Travis Moen, Ryan White, Brandon Prust, Michael Bournival and George Parros; defencemen Douglas Murray, Nathan Beaulieu, Mike Weaver, Francis Bouillon and Jarred Tinordi; and goaltenders Carey Price and Peter Budaj.

Speaking with the media on Sunday, Canadiens coach Michel Therrien said: “This group has faced adversity all season long. They’ve always responded well. We’re aware of the challenge in front of us.” –

(Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

(Video by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs)

Game 6 Preview, NHL.com

Bruins’ Thornton fined, NHL.com

Habs remain confident while facing elimination in Game 6, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Watergate II takes on life of its own, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Habs-Bruins rivalry will only get worse, by Jack Todd for The Gazette

Canadiens know what they’re up against in Game 6, NHL.com

Challenge accepted, canadiens.com

Bruins put Canadiens on brink of elimination, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Habs had to step up, but didn’t do it, by Pat Hickey

Canadiens now desperate, NHL.com

Return flight for Habs, canadiens.com

Bruins take series lead, bostonbruins.com

On to Game 6 for Bruins (video), bostonbruins.com

Bruins expect desperate Canadiens in Game 6, Boston Globe

‘I got caught up in the moment,’ Bruins’ Thornton says, Boston Globe

1. Mick says:

The first period of game five, the referees made bad calls and changed the game in Boston’s favor. It set the tone for the rest of the game.
    Our needs:
    1. Heart transplant for Patches
    2. Heart transplant for Vanek
    3. DD is trying but he needs to …..?
    4. Put Eller on the first power play, DD is not working.
    5. White in for Prust.
    6. Bournival needs to know that he does not have to shoot at the goalies belly all night.
    7. Patches also needs a pair of…..
    8.????
    I hate the Bruins and I hate CBC.
    I feel better!

• Dust says:

habs went 0-3 on the powerplay in the first period.
      But yes the refs changed the game in the bruins favour.
      come on man

• Coach K says:

Hey Mick,

Bad calls happen. Blaming officials (even if its true) is a loser’s mentality and any coach will tell you its unacceptable. It means you are admitting that your team is unable to control its own destiny and you’ve defeated yourself before the puck is dropped. That’s a bad place to be starting from. As for the needs…

1. Agreed
      2. Agreed
      3. Someone to work with/go to the net (right now his vision is being wasted)
      4. Possibly – his size could could create something that DD can’t
      5. Couldn’t hurt
      6. That takes experience (maybe he’s best suited as a shutdown guy not a finisher or setup guy)
      7. Kick in the a$$ from his team mates (the ones coming from his coach aren’t working it seems maybe some form his team mates will have more of an impact)
      8. Coach with the stones to let the kids play if the vets aren’t producing

—When Hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too—

2. HankHardball says:

No consideration for the fact that Thornton had been sucking on that water bottle for the previous half hour so PK had to wipe spittle off his face.

No consideration for the fact that the history of the way PK has been treated in Beantown strongly suggests the incident was racially motivated.

3. thebonscott says:

If the rest of the players cared as much as Subban and Price, we would have won this series already. There is a large difference between wanting to win and it would be nice if we won.

C’mon guys this is not rocket surgery!!!!

4. Forum Dog says:

All we as fans can ask/expect is that the team go out there and play hard for 60+ minutes. If the Habs play the type of intense, up-tempo hockey they are capable of, they can win tonight. Their leaders will have to lead by example, and set the tone early. Get the puck deep and get on the forecheck. That is how 5-on-5 goals are scored. Can’t rely on the long stretch pass to win this one tonight. It’s gonna be a battle and the team that wants it more will win.

GO HABS GO!

5. Bob Gaineys Stare says:

I think Briere’s been running off copies of his new CV:

6. JUST ME says:

Nice to see most of us are still behind the team. Hopefully a little fear of vacation will put a spark where it belongs.
    As a matter of fact oddly there has not been the element of fear in this serie wich is rather unusual when those 2 meet. I think a sprinkle of overconfidence may have put a little weight in the team`s skates. Would not want either to underestimate the opponent but feel like we can win !

Since this has been a team adventure since day one, i hope that if there are injured soldiers, they give a chance for some ready and able guys just waiting for their chance.

7. Strummer says:

I see Lunqvist was spraying water in an on-ice scrum with the Pens.

Pure evil I say. I hope they fine him. No place in the game for that.

____________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

8. sCOTT1243 says:

I have a feeling that Patches and Vanek take control tonight…and of course Carey stops everything!

Go habs go!

9. HankHardball says:

Wow. The league really spit in his face didn’t they.
    And I thought it was bad when Brenda Shanahan was doin it.

• Strummer says:

Thornton squirted water, not napalm.

____________________________________________________
      “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• Cal says:

Sorry, Strum, but what Thornton did was pure shit.
        A proper 1 game suspension would be more appropriate.
        If PK had done that, he would be out for three games.

10. JF says:

J.T. on questions the playoffs have answered:

• Paz says:

Thank you for sharing this. I think I agree with just about every word. It’s kind of scary. Like I wrote it, although I doubt I could write that clearly. Haha!

11. habsfan0 says:

Apparently,the Human Pylon,Dion Phaneuf, is being shopped by the Laffs.
    I hope the Habs are smart enough not to bite,even though his wife,Elisha Cuthbert,is a huge Habs fan having grown up in Greenfield Park.

• JUST ME says:

Could you imagine ? I mean brown bag time over my head for me and people around here are complaining about Murray`s lack of mobility ! 7 millions for what 6 more years ? I f they can find a sucker they will be lucky but there is always the expert dinosaur Brian Burke who may want him back you never know …

• Habfan17 says:

I don’t like Phaneuf, but he did have 31 points and was plus 2! I would rather have him paired with PK as a first unit than Markov at this point. At $4 million/season, not his current salary. Having said that, I would not trade with the Leafs!

Habfan17

• Strummer says:

Before he crashed and burned he was a +21 on a team that had a minus goal differential.
        He ‘s a good addition but not for 7yrs @ $7 million

____________________________________________________
        “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• Cal says:

He’s a coward and a crap Dman. He’s brave if your back is turned and you’re much smaller than he is. In other words, a perfect Bruin.

• Strummer says:

We couln’t use a guy like that? (not the crap part)

____________________________________________________
            “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

12. reddog24 says:

Would sure like to see the Habs come back and Rangers take out Pens as this would screw up the bias HNIC/CBC love of Sids team and Hate toward the Habs. Wonder if they would do a 90 and cheer for Montreal? Remember folks they are using your money to cheer for an American team against Canada’s Team. Let Sportsnet know for the future or be prepared for the same for years to come.

• Habfan17 says:

I think it would be great to see a third round match up with two original six teams, Montreal / N.Y, then for the cup another original six, Montreal /Chicago!! Go Habs Go!

Habfan17

• Strummer says:

Where do get that HNIC hates the Habs?
      Cite some evidence.
      This is one of the more ridiculous ideas on this site.

Once the Habs are eliminated the ratings will drop.
      So HNIC wishes to have lower ratings?
      Ratings are everything in television economics.
      The big lie- keep repeating it.

____________________________________________________
      “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• JUST ME says:

I respect your opinion Strummer but you cannot say that HNIC cares about the Habs for a second or for that matter if you say so , to their ratings. Have you listened to their comments ? Actually their non comments cause it looks as if the Bruins are playing alone as the Lightning was!
        Sorry but the public tv and even more the CBC does not give a …about ratings. Those who say the opposite just cite the big shows as an example when actually 95 % of their programming is crap that nobody listens to. Being drowned in a sea of american blockbusters the choice is not difficult to make as to what not to watch…
        It is a blessing that the NHL is moving away from them.

• Strummer says:

Some people on this site have a complex about CBC and their heads explode when they percieve they don’t talk about the Habs or if someone mentions a player from an opposing team.
          This is not C(H)BC. They should be able to discuss non-Habs players.
          Don’t kid yourself. CBC cares about ratings. They need the money.
          Why do think they keep Don Cherry around?

____________________________________________________
          “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• Dust says:

I disagree with you. I agree with strummer.
          I think the CBC does a good job of talking about both teams, and both teams strangths and weaknesses.
          I think people think the CBC should be big homers towards the habs.
          The fact that CBC is pretty level in their broadcast makes people believe they hate the habs.
          I really enjoy the CBC broadcast of games

• reddog24 says:

I have talked to many hockey fans of all teams and even the Laffs and the general opinion is that HNIC/CBC is almost as bad as The Maple Leaf Network, for bias against a team from Our Country during this years playoffs.
        Do you watch Hockey? Can’t waste any more time on silly posts like yours.

REQUEST!
    If anyone out there has a copy of Saturdays Gazette, there is a letter to the editor that I sent in it apparently.
    I would like it if someone could send it to me please. I can’t find a Gazette around here.
    Thank you kindly!

14. habsfan0 says:

Habs force a Game 7.
    I’m not ready to shave.

15. docketrocket says:

I thought this was a sneaky nasty put-down of PK. Reminds me of his put-down of Robinson in his book. I guess Dryden needs the work to pay his campaign debts.

16. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

Last chance nhl.

Get ready for a barn burning win for us again tonight. It is the game 7 in Boston that worries me. It is all about the refereeing and special teams.!

18. JF says:

In order to win tonight, we have to do two things we haven’t been able to do the last couple of games. The first is to score five-on-five, about which there is a discussion below. The other is to beat Tuukka Rask. This looked easy a few games ago, but has suddenly become almost impossible. Rask’s lack of career success against the Habs may have been in his head to start the series, but I would venture to suggest this is no longer the case. Three victories against us in these playoffs have given him confidence. You could even argue that it is now Price who might have the Bruins in his head, with shades of the OT losses three years ago haunting him. He can beat the Bruins in the regular season, but he might well be starting to wonder if he can do it in the playoffs.

19. Habfan17 says:

If the Habs can play the way they did in game 3 when they scored 3, 5 on 5 goals, and get Patches, Vanek and DD going, then they should win! They can win this series and if they all start playing like Subban, Gallagher and fight through the checks and finish their own, they can send Boston to the golf course

Habfan17

There are also some huge games in junior hockey during the next 48 hours.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
    Two G7’s on tap: EDM @ Portland on Mon for WHL title; Val-d’Or @ Baie Comeau for QMJHL title on Tues. Winners join LDN/GUE in Memorial Cup

24.4 Cups

Well it is cliche time, backs against the wall, do or die, etc etc….

But a win in Game 6 and a whole bunch of pressure shifts back on Boston.

Let’s go boys, big game tonight.

Perhaps the floodgates open tonight….. I hope so.

CHeers everyone enjoy the game tonight!

• mksness says:

- must win game
      – play desperate
      – test show our character

and my favorite, “time to put our balls on the table”

• Strummer says:

I hope you don’t eat off of that table!

____________________________________________________
        “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

22. Cal says:

Only 13 short hours to go until puck drop!
    It doesn’t get any better than this. Habs-Bruins playoff game on a beautiful Spring day.
    We all know PK, Pleks and Price will take a stand. Will the others, like Patches and Vanek rise to the occasion?
    Ought to be a fun day here at the old HIO tavern, with lots of grist for the mill and beer being spilled onto the floor.

Here’s a little something to keep those spirits up and to let all of you know how far the Habs have come. Ladies and Gents, Bob Seger.

23. JF says:

It hadn’t struck me until I read Arpon Basu’s piece on NHL.com that the Habs haven’t scored an even-strength goal since midway through Game three. That’s more than 140 minutes of hockey. Yikes! This is our problem every playoffs. We all thought this year would be different with the addition of Thomas Vanek, but it’s the same old story all over again. Something Bergevin will have to fix, but it won’t be easy.

• Old Bald Bird says:

We are weak in this area, and the Bruins are very strong in preventing good ops.

• Habfan10912 says:

Just my thought Jane but the cause of a lack of 5 on 5 scoring is related to our lack of a Big #1 center.

DD is a wonderfully gifted and hard working center and I don’t mean to knock on him but he’s only 32 inches tall! I think that’s the biggest need this team has moving forward.

• Cal says:

Can’t win with Hobbits. Sure, they can rid you of Rings of Power, but bring you a Stanley Cup? Not likely! ;)

• JF says:

I’m hoping Galchenyuk will become that big centre, but it’s far from certain. He’s always called a natural centre, but in fact he’s played most of his career so far on the wing. There’s also Lars Eller, who looks like a top centre at times but only in flashes. I know krob and others have thought all season that Eller should have been centring our top line, and would have done as well or better than Desharnais, but for most of the season, Eller seemed ineffective in any position.

• Habfan17 says:

You hit the nail on the head. It is only my opinion, but the Habs still have too many players that get you to the playoffs, but not enough of those who get you through them. Patches needs to raise his game. To have 4 points in 9 game and be a minus 2 is unacceptable. Pleks also needs to be better 7 points is very good but minus 4! I keep hearing about how invaluable he is but I look at Datsyuk, and see he had 5 points in 5 games and was a plus 1 against these same Bruins. Please don’t spew that garbage that they are facing harder coverage or Pleks covers the top players, so does Datsyuk and he is the same size and older.

More players need to start playing like Gallagher and PK, pay the price, finish their checks, and fight through checks or the Habs will be done! That is not negative, just the facts as I see them. Vanek, Patches, DD and Pleks need to be better. They can’t keep relying on Wiese, Bourque and Eller to get the goals. When all four lines were skating, it gave Tampa all they could handle. Time to do it to Boston!
      I have faith they can do it and win!

Habfan17

• shlamiel says:

all the habs have is players that excel in one area , not many complete players on this team, the same story every year.

24. Slackman says:

Well folks, it would seem the negative nitwit faction of alleged Canadiens fans are drooling greedily at the prospect of potential elimination. They are so close to the big “I told you so!”. A chance to show others how they were right all along, and how their rampant negativity was actually well thought-out analysis.

Sorry to disappoint boys, you haven’t told us sh*t. Habs will win a big one tonight. Game 7 looms just beyond the horizon. PK will score the OT winner.

“When the going get’s weird, the weird turn pro”

25. Bash says:

No one expected to us to take the Bruins out without an upset. Truth is we could be up 3-1! Yes the first line seems stymied and they are the key. One goal from them in the first tonight and we are on our way.

Habs in 7!

BTW…Crosby spears Moore??? Why not? A couple grand is nothing and the league has made it clear that spearing is just a nuisance play.
    Crosby also got a little face shower from the King (Did i just say that ? :))
    Also just a nuisance play…it will be on all the highlights and the commentators will laugh and laugh and laugh.

I heard that the Habs have planted a whoopee cushion on the visitor’s team bench!

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

26. The Cat says:

The habs aren’t finished. But when they showed the 5on5 goals in the series, I couldnt help but ask myself -how many effing years does this have to be a problem before something is done about it?

27. Habitant in Surrey says:

“In the real world, it’s Boston-Montreal. They go together like Peel St. and fans puking on their shoes.”; Jack Todd, The Montreal Gazette

28. Habitant in Surrey says:

…seems Jason Spezza wants out of Ottawa, and management seems inclined to move him

…would Spezza make a credible big number one centre for Our Habs ?

…$ 6 million cap hit …one year left on his contract

…or is he too soft and injury prone for what We are building towards ?

…do We have assets worth a Spezza to trade for ?

…Myself ? …My gut feels he has never shown to be ‘a winner’ …injury-prone …and I doubt We have assets unless We give up 2 or 3 of Our better young prospects, which I don’t feel is worthwhile longterm

• Habfan17 says:

I would not want to see him in Montreal. All the talk on the team1200 is about his bad back and how it would be better for Ottawa to trade him now and get something for him. They do say he can put up points, but not he is not at the level he was before the back issues. Given his salary and what it would cost to get him, I don’t think he either fits or would be worth the cost to get him and then have to resign him in a year.

Habfan17

• Cal says:

No character. The Islanders will love him.

• Coach K says:

I kind of like Spezza…met him twice. He was very gracious toward my son (who was 10 and later when he was 12). He was one of the few who stopped to offer some words of encouragement. He also volunteered both an autograph and to take a photo (my son didn’t have to beg). On the other hand, many, (including one Alex Kovalev) blew right by the little kid with the Sharpie standing in the cold. Now my little house-league hero is a 16 yr old 6″1″ centre and is trying out for Jr. “A” teams. To this day, he tells me that the 3 centres who inspired him the most have been Saku Koiuvu, Jason Spezza and Sidney Crosby.

I too have heard the knocks about Spezza’s game (turnovers and defensive game) but they are highly exaggerated by fans who don’t watch with a discerning eye and media who are looking to generate a “story” for the deadline (B. Garri… *cough*).

That nonsense aside, why would management not at least consider that option? Watch him carry the puck. Few in the league can gain the zone as effectively as he does. He has been a model of consistency throughout his career as a point-per-game player. Speaking of consistency, you also gain a guy who is consistently outstanding in the face-off circle (Like that wouldn’t come in handy against the Bruins).

I say, pair him with a healthy Prust (or someone gritty like Prust who can dig out pucks) and a finisher like Max (it’s obvious that he needs one to be effective – Heatly, Hemsky) and you have a legitimate # 1 line. Have Larry (or Galchenyuk when he’s ready) centre your #2 line and slot Pleky in as the # 3 shutdown centre where he belongs (its clear he doesn’t have the vision to be a playmaker on the top 2 lines). Now that he’s playing better you could more easily offer up DD with some other pieces or shop him.

The only real question that needs to be answered is how rich is the asking price?

—When Hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too—

29. 24AW says:

Same story as last year, still too soft, 5 on 5 not all that good , and the big one, toughness, injury prone scared to get hit.

30. habs001 says:

The Habs struggled 5/5 all season with a little run with Vanek at the end..The team scored the 20th most goals in the league overall…The odds are not very good that the team will improve in this stat next year…

I was wondering… Can Michael Therrien make Phaneuf a better person? Should Habs try and see?

• Phil C says:

Are you suggesting trading Therrien to Toronto?

• Frank2468 says:

Lmao nice one Timo and if they do get Phaneuf pair him up with Murray. Nah on second thought I wouldn’t do that to poor Murray. He’s a good player just slow of foot. Where as Phaneuf’s hockey sense is that of the old commador pet computers not enough memory to compute lol

32. CrankFSU says:

Love Prust’s game, but he’s banged up.

Patch DD Vanek
    Briere Plek Gallagher
    Bourque Eller Gionta

Bournival White Weise

Frankie the Bull for Murray

Crank

• deggy24 says:

Like the forward lines, they can all play. Im not as down on Max and Vanek as most. Heck even Crosby is having problems. First period I would go Subban withGorges, then double shift with Beaulieu with Subby as the stay at home guy on that pair. Work Weaver in a shift or two. In second use 3 pairs. Thinking about Tinordi in to beat crap out of Marchand but would have to sacrifice Beaulieu or Weaver. That would work if Tinordi or Beaulieu could play right side occasionally. Why didnt we work on that I watch the Hawks and last year and tonite young number 4 plays well on the right as left hander.

Habs Win!

33. Frank2468 says:

I love it when I see the Pens get frustrated it gives me great pleasure. Wouldn’t it be nice to see a repeat of 1979 Rangers and Habs in Conference final. I know it was for the cup back in 1979 but they will never play for the cup again in the current setup. As far as Thomas Vanish guess he’s got the don’t get hurt cause I’m signing with the Wild in the summer on his mind. He may be known as a bruins killer but on other teams the true test of his name is to be a bruins killer in a Habs sweater then the name means something. If He plays game six like he has been since the playoffs started and then I hope he does leave. Yes yes he got 2 goals but on the power play he’s been the greatest magician 5 on 5 Vanish. I really hope Pleks picks it up in game 6 and doesn’t repeat his “I played like a little girl in the game”. He hasn’t done that in a long time so I’m calling what he did in game 5 a blip on the radar. As for Patches he knows what he has to do and if he can’t and plays perimeter game again and Habs are gone in 6 then there needs to be some heavy thinking during the summer. Vanish will vanish by July 1st and Patches well MB needs to do some heavy thinking I really hope that Patches isn’t one of those so called regular season players. Go Habs Go

34. CH Marshall says:

LoL Crosby spearing Dominic Moore. What a wiener.

35. jimmy shaker says:

Guys I honestly felt that Pricer could take this team to the finals. His regular season stats, the perfect amount of games played, his olympic experience, and his overall attitude and mental mindset (like I’ve never seen him before) I felt that he was ready to take this team to the next level single handedly. Now I know it takes the team in front of him to score the goals and limit the opposing teams chances, and Price hasn’t been the reason the team is down 3-2 by any means. I just can’t put my finger on it. I just saw something this year that really made me believe. I know they will win tomorrow but game 7 is really up in the air. All the pundits say a team has to learn to lose in the playoffs before they learn to win, which is another reason I think Carey and this team will go onto the cup finals……they’ve learned from that game 7 loss vs the cubs a couple of years ago, they’ve learned from the trip to the eastern finals a couple of years ago, they’ve learned from the debacle last year…..So my friends, tomorrow night is where we see Carey and the rest of the Montreal Canadiens really step up and take care of business (MAX PACIORETTY) I know it’s crazy, but buckle up……GO Danny B! Remember first goal wins the game!

Shaker out!

36. monmick says:

Initially, I felt like we needed to forget about Vanek signing with the Habs long term and simply enjoy him for this year’s run for the cup. Now I beleive we need to forget about him for this year’s run as well…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

37. habsnuts says:

Not sure anyone has noticed but Vaneks worst games come after Minny games that start and end late the night before.
    I think he’s up late watching Minny games and can’t get a decent nights sleep before game day.

38. monmick says:

Pitt-NYR going to seven. Go Rangers Go!

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

39. SPATS says:

Earlier today, it was pointed out that the P.K. bullet late last night may have seemed like too little too late, but was, in fact a strong message that our PP is still lethal if they decide to be stupid again.

We are Rask’s CHryptonite afterall…

Like the Eller goal that got our season turned around against the Sens several weeks back, this blast and the Thornton BS may have just provided the spark to ignite the boys again.

If Pleks stays out of the box and we have our best PK man up front, we’ll be fine.

• Chris says:

If the Habs are Rask’s kryptonite, he’s rapidly becoming immune to exposure…he’s now stopped 62 of 65 shots in the past two games, settling into a pretty tough groove.

The Habs had their chance when he had no confidence against them. He’s now 3-1 in his past 4 games, having won games in both Boston and Montreal. I’d guess that the monkey is decidedly off his back, so the Habs are going to have earn the wins they need now. Rask isn’t likely to give them anything.

40. Coach K says:

A couple items for the commentariat to ponder…

Q1: Is it me or is Vanek simply Kovalev 2.0 minus of course, the slick hands and the pilot’s license?? Both seem to show a remarkable lack of interest when it matters most. And don’t point to his 2 recent goals as redeeming qualities. They were both deflections where he didn’t have to skate or put in any effort…just stood there and redirected them.

Q:2 Is it possible that Pacioretty has a groin injury that limits his explosiveness? Otherwise, what is preventing him from getting to pucks, powering his way through a check or jumping to open spaces to create room for himself? Maybe he’s simply not bright enough to recognize those opportunities? After all, not everyone has a high hockey I.Q. What else would explain his seeming lack of effort?

Feel free to discuss among yourselves.

—When Hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too—

• mrhabby says:

Maybe credit should be given to the ogar chara and bergeron who have shut the two down.

• Coach K says:

Maybe …but Max and Vanek are on different lines now so that would mean Bergeron at the very least, would need to be double shifted all game. I could however, see Chara being in Max’s head given the history…

—When Hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too—

• Ozmodiar says:

> Both seem to show a remarkable lack of interest when it matters most.

Hey Coach, you might want to check out Kovalev’s playoff stats while he played for the Habs.

• Coach K says:

Meh. His playoff numbers are only part of the story. I’m no fan of any player who refuses to play hard every shift so I respectfully won’t view the past through rose coloured glasses. To paraphrase the Great One…the only thing that beats talent is talent that works hard.

—When Hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too—

• Ozmodiar says:

So looking at his playoff stats/performance == using rose colored glasses? :lol:

If playoffs is “when it matters most”, he sure seems to pick up a lot of points while showing “a remarkable lack of interest”. That in itself is remarkable, I’d say.

• Coach K says:

Many here loved Kovalev hence the rose coloured glasses for some. I saw him as extremely talented but lazy as did others. Regardless he was a polarizing figure for sure.
            The point being made is that there are similarities in the effort (or lack thereof) between Kovalev and Vanek. Kovy’s skating and hands were superior I think, but the lack of effort fails to impress.

cheers
            —When Hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too—

41. monmick says:

Good on Claude Julien for throwing Shawn Thornton under the bus (sort of) for that water squirting incident. Very un-Bruins like not to defend a player even in the face of strong eveidence of wrongdoing.

Despite all the criticism that he takes on this site, I kind of like Julien. Maybe it’s because he is a franco-ontarian; and a northern ontarian to boot! I think he showed a lot of character in not even trying to defend Thornton’s actions…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

42. Phil C says:

The thing with Vanek is that he is not a great skater, but he has incredible vision and hands, so he needs to play with other intelligent hockey players who can move the puck well. Playing him with Bournival and Plekanec is a bit of a waste. It didn’t work when he first was traded and it’s not working now. I understand that Therrien was trying to get him away from Chara, but he needs more offensively creative forwards to leverage his talents.

At a minimum, I would put him back with Pacioretty and DD. The Bruins will probably shut them down, but at least they would have a chance.

If Therrien really wanted to roll the dice, they would move Briere up to one of the top lines and play him with Vanek. Briere is the only Hab forward that can match Vanek’s hockey IQ, so there could be some synergy between them. The safe thing would be to stick with lines that have worked before though.

• alfieturcotte says:

At this stage in his career, Briere is even slower than Vanek, and like Vanek, seems timid to get his nose dirty. Play the 2 forwards who are performing best w/Vanek – Eller and Bourque.

• Phil C says:

I don’t think those three have ever played together, but it could work. The Eller line line has been working so I would hate to break up the one line that has been working, but it is an option. Not sure Eller would get the most out of Vanek though. I like Eller with Gallagher, they both play a straight forward north-south game. Pretty much anything but the last lineup.

• Ozmodiar says:

Pleks has more points playing with Vanek 5 on 5 than DD and Max combined, in much less time.

And the whole “Vanek and Pleks didn’t click after the trade” argument isn’t a reason to play him with DD over Pleks, seeing how Vanek and DD didn’t click right after the trade either. Vanek didn’t score until, what, his 6th game with the Habs? He only played the first 2 with Pleks.

• Phil C says:

Not sure about that. Vanek has 3 ESP, two against Tampa, and 1 against Boston playing with Pleks. Anyway, too small of a sample in the playoffs to draw any conclusions. Vanek clicked in the regular season with DD so you know they are capable. He has looked awful with Plekanec and Bournival in the last two games and there is no reason to think it can magically improve. He needs to be with a playmaker.

• Ozmodiar says:

I think you misread my post. Pleks has more points 5 on 5 playing with Vanek than the other 2, who have no points at all 5 on 5.

Therrien changed it up after 6 games of futility.

That “playmaker” is currently being swallowed up by that beast Chara, and isn’t making plays at all.

• Phil C says:

One point, hardly significant production. Boston’s top line is not producing either, but they are not getting split up, you gotta have a little faith.

You make a good point about Chara dominating the top line. If you are going to split Vanek away from Chara, at least give him a better playmaker than Bournival. Bournival is a nice player, but he doesn’t think the game like Vanek does, at least not yet. Or give the DD line a winger that can challenge Chara more than Gallagher can. We have one of our smallest wingers against the biggest D man in the league. They are making it too easy on Boston to shut down the top two lines.

43. ProHabs says:

Would love to see PK have a great big bucket of water on the bench with him and if the Bruins have a chance at a 2 on 1 sometime during the game, he just splashes the whole bucket in the players face killing the 2 on 1.

44. habs-hampton says:

For all you Advanced Analytics guys out there, I did some research and 100% of series that went 7 games have the team down 3-2 winning game 6. I like those odds! It almost looks like being down 3-2 isn’t so bad after all!

45. Habsbill24 says:

Crosby fails to score again. Having a worse playoff than Max, should the Penguins scratch him for game seven?

• mrhabby says:

Scratch Sidney Crosby ….Lmao..

• Coach K says:

Crosby will not be scratched. The difference is that Crosby displays something Patches hasn’t…consistent work ethic – every shift. Crosby does more with a 5′ 11″, 200lb frame than Max does with a 6′ 2′, 217lb body. The kindly coach should not have to remind Max that he’s one of the biggest bodies on the the ice.

—When Hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too—

46. UKRAINIANhab says:

Y’know what would be nice. Habs destroy the stupid Bruins 5-1 tomorrow creating doubt for game 7. That would be nice. Real nice. GHG!

47. alfieturcotte says:

White instead of Prust;
    Briere instead of Moen;
    Eller n#1 center
    Beaulieu instead of Murray – he can get the puck out of our zone and how much better would he look on the PP over Gorges/Emelin?

Bourque / Eller / Vanek
    Pacioretty / Pleks / Gallagher
    Bournival / DD / Briere
    Weise / White / Gionta

PK / Beaulieu
    Markov / Emelin
    Weaver / Gorges

48. UKRAINIANhab says:

Anyone nervous yet? Of course Habs have to wait till the last second to win the damn series.

• Marc10 says:

As a team, they do try to make it difficult on themselves. This is pushing it a bit.

All hands on deck tomorrow. I’m expecting the worst but hoping for the best. I hope the crowd doesn’t let the Boston trap keep it in check and lifts the boys to an early lead. I hope PK scores the winner.

• CJ says:

Admittedly I was very nervous going into the series and through the first five games. Now, I’m not.

I chalk it up to one of two things; either I’m extremely confident and figure our destiny will be realized with two more wins, or I’ve accepted our fate, like a dying man having had received his last rights.

Nervous or not, I won’t turn my back on the team. To say I’m frustrated with some of the personnel decisions would be an understatement. Alas, I drop that frustration when the CBC intro airs and the game subsequently begins.

• mrhabby says:

Not at all…if Habs lose they have had a good year. Team continues to grow.

49. kalevine says:

I think the over trust in veterans this season has gotten the Habs into the current predicament. Those veterans are failing to reach the next level and in fact looking worn down. With all the serious injuries going on all over the league, and with 5 players nearing retirement and a few others who continue to play as though they are, perhaps more hunger to win is what the Habs are lacking. Twice in this series they just needed a bit more hunger to take a stranglehold on the series, and twice they failed. I doubt that this Bruins team will take their foot off the gas tomorrow in that manner

• Coach K says:

Well stated.
      Management needs to realize that everyone peaks at some point in their career, after which, their best years are officially in the rear-view mirror. At that point an injection of youth into the lineup is needed to either re-energize them or push them to that next level you mentioned (see: Bowman, Scott). That internal competition forces the vets to earn their roster spot instead of having it handed to them by divine right. If they fail to respond when the young guns are breathing down their necks, then its time for the coach to reward the youth and for the GM to move them. The problem arises when the coach refuses to let the youth movement take hold by continually short-shifting or scratching them. A stubborn reliance on vets who are long past their “best before date” is a recipe for failure. (see: Martin, Jacques)

This team as its currently built, seems to have a critical mass of those types, including as some would suggest, its coach.

Then again, I could be wrong…

—When Hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too—

50. Mavid ® says:

I notice that Vanek only wears a plain black cap..it may be nothing but I find it a tad interesting that most players wear a cap with the CH on it..except for him..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

51. habfan100 says:

Anyone’s predictions for tomorrow?

4-2 Canadiens

Gallagher, Bourque, Subban, Gionta (empty net)

Krejci, Iginla

• CJ says:

I can’t see us scoring more than two goals. I think it’s close; a coin flip.

Game four was our game. I’d expect something similar, which I’m sure suits Boston fine. Low scoring and within a goal going into the third period. A bounce here, a save there….. It’s so close right now. I just hope to have a chance in game seven. Can’t get to seven without six though.

• kalevine says:

yeah the timely scoring that accompanies successful playoff teams, and accompanied the habs through the first 7 playoff games, has dried up. It’s looking more like the team that had so much trouble putting the puck in the net for stretches this season

• CJ says:

Good points. It’s a bad cycle. Players aren’t scoring and guys are being used out of position. The first line’s struggles have allowed the Bruins to focus on shutting down the second and third line. It’s like playing basketball and only having to defend four guys because the fifth can’t make a shot.

Now is the time to inject some offensive and spark. Sure, I know I’m crazy to suggest using a young player – after all it’s just every other team in the postseason doing it – but now, more than ever, is the stage in which to unleash Beaulieu.

Further, our best fourth line all year was White, Weise and Bournival. A close second had Briere centring the fourth unit. Why not go with that? I like Bournival, but he doesn’t fit on the second line at this stage. I believe he will, in the future, but his best chance to succeed RIGHT NOW is on the fourth line at 10:00 minutes a game.

• kalevine says:

absolutely agree. All the offensive power possible must be in the lineup, and young rested players with something to prove will not only be motivated but might throw the Bruins off. Remember how well PK played in the 2010 run when nobody knew who he was?

52. sCOTT1243 says:

If Rangers can do it we can do it… See you tomorrow.

53. montreal ace says:

In any playoff series, a team is going to come out on top with lucky bounces. I have no problem with this fact, the problem I have is when the officiating compliments and seems tailor made for one of them, this is the problem I have with Boston.

54. third generation haber says:

What I noticed, sadly, in game 5 reminded me of just about every playoff series I’ve seen us play since the mid-90’s.

Our players are getting rid of the puck as soon as it touches their stick, in all 3 zones. We’re not paying the price physically in-order to maintain possession.

Similarly, we’re shooting from the outside instead of physically challenging the B’s D. We’re soft, soft, soft, soft. The Bruins don’t have a single softie in their line-up.

The Bruins go full tilt for every loose puck, get possession, keep it alive on the boards, and charge our net fearlessly.

Other than Subban, Murray, Emelin, Gallagher, Weise, and Eller, our team played with no balls! Size is not the issue, Gallagher, was a warrior!

Markov, DD, Max-Pac, Vanek were invisible. Against the Bruins, players are demonstrating their true value. If Markov deserves 3 years at 6 mil per year, then Subban must be worth 8 years at 250 mil per year.

Stop worrying about the regular season. The playoffs! Build for the playoffs, acquire and pay the types of players that can eliminate the Bruins, not by luck, but by actually dominating them; fearless, aggressive, tough, durable warriors.

I’d love to see, just for once, White, Prust, Moen, Weise, Bournival, Tinordi, and Murray in the line-up on the same night. Let DD and Briere flank the anthem singer with flags. If we’re going to lose (seems inevitable) then make life difficult on the B’s and go down clawing and snarling like a pack of wild dogs.

j.p. murray

• hansolo says:

Like St Louis? They were the model around here for a team that was “built for the playoffs.” Yet they lost. Having tough, physical players alone isn’t enough. One needs the right balance, timely scoring, great goaltending – and a fair amount of luck doesn’t hurt, either.

• CJ says:

Goaltending, the greatest of all X factors. Miller’s save percentage this postseason was below .900. You simply can not win with below average goaltending. I’ll be the first to say that I thought Miller would be better than that. Sadly, it’s not Miller who suffers. St. Louis takes the easy road and fires goaltending coach Corey Hirsch.

Talk about a miscarriage of justice….

55. hansolo says:

I’m ok with what Gio said about Thornton’s fine. It IS important to move on. Look at Crosby – he allowed the Bruins last year to get under his skin and learned nothing, because he’s allowing the Rangers to do the same this series.

Gio is a battle-hardened vet and understands you can’t let the other team know they’ve gotten to you.

I agree it’s a shame the NHL lets side-shows like Thornton’s antics go on. As someone else said, it’s bush league.

I don’t see the Pens winning this series. And, I don’t see the Rangers beating the Bruins. We have our work cut out for us if we want to keep the Bruins from two straight Cup finals appearances.

56. JUST ME says:

Unless there are unknown injured players i wonder if the Habs were not overconfident to meet the Bruins. Because if they compared to the regular season they had more succes against them than they had against the Lightning and they went though Tampa like a hot knife in butter so…

This feeling should not be in their way tomorrow !

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Not to be rude but I think that line of thinking is just you. No one on the Habs would have been over confident of beating the Bruins at least no one who should be resigned again for future. They are and have been the best eastern conference team this year. They have a legit chance of being Stanley Cup winners again. They have a pretty solid team and work hard through the line up with very good goal tending……no real weakness. I believe the Habs know what they are up against. They could knock them off but it will be major upset. It boggles my mind how some on here can be confident of this result though.

57. nek25plus says:

On Vanek-he definitely has another gear. If he doesn’t bring it or doesn’t show it, how does he get a contract from Minnesota? If he remains awful, and gets a contract from Minni, then you have to wonder. Conspiracy theorists like me would have a field day. Two “hawk” owners get what they want. One gets a very good player and the other gets to the finals. If they’re lucky, two get to conference finals.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

It’s funny, because people in Minny seem to think Vanek is far too slow to fit in there… They’ll be looking to replace Heatly with speed.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Danno says:

What’s a “hawk” owner?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• JUST ME says:

Good point. I am sure that Minnesota knows what is happening now in Mtl and it`s not as if Vanek has tons of other playoff`s experience. So , for sure his value is being re-evaluated and this might play a role in the negociations but i really do not know if we are or should still be in the race.

• DipsyDoodler says:

There will be other teams interested in him beside Minny and us.

—–
        Moving. Forward.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Just try to picture him with another 5 years on him. He really stands out this series for all the wrong reasons. He has talent yes but it doesn’t materialize in physical games me thinks. I think he is over rated personally. The Habs need a physical player that can score…..that isn’t easy to find.

58. habfan100 says:

Not to be a debbie downer, but say it happens. Say we get bounced tomorrow…what contract would you offer the following players (if any)?

1. P.K. Subban
    2. Thomas Vanek
    3. Brian Gionta
    4. Andrei Markov
    5. Dale Weise
    6. Mike Weaver
    7. Lars Eller

• Mad Habber says:

Hmm off of that list the only guy that I would let walk right now is Vanek.

Of the remaining, ideally Subban, Weise, Eller get longer term and Gointa, Weaver, Markov short term.

• habfan100 says:

1. P.K. Subban 8 Years $66M ($8,250,000) per Year
      * He’s got heart and soul, hell of a shot, and is a natural born leader

2. Thomas Vanek. Nothing.

3. Brian Gionta.
      * I’m torn with Gionta, he hasn’t had the best playoff but I still believe MT has used him in offensive roles that the Gionta 5 years ago would excel at. Gionta on a 2 Year deal on the 3rd line would still help us. Problem is salary. 2 Years $6M, doubt he takes it but I would offer it.

4. Andrei Markov
      *Probably the toughest call. He’s going to get the cash on the open market at $6M+…so what to do? Our D-corps would suffer big time without him and we don’t have anyone to replace him. Rumour is he wants 3 Years…I think the Habs are kind of handcuffed with this deal. No big UFA’s coming up of his calibre.
      3 Years $6M/Year.

5. Dale Weise. Probably one of my favourite pick ups by MB. He is due for a qualifying offer of $787K. I say screw the qualifying offer, I think Weise is the perfect guy to have on our 4th line. Heart, grit, and seems to love playing here. I feel Weise will get better going into his prime.
      4 Years $1.5M per year.

6. Mike Weaver. Best pickup by MB. Weaver’s defensive play has been nothing short of impressive and he pots the odd goal here and there. I think Weaver as a depth move would be great on a One Year deal even as he ages.
      One Year $1.5M

7. Lars Eller. Ugh, this guy frustrates me. Sometimes I truly believe he can be a 60 point producer in this league and use his body well and other times he looks so lost. It’s a gamble with Eller. Extend a qualifying offer to Eller for $1.5M (capgeek) and see where it goes, maybe arbitration? I don’t think he deserves more at this point and is still an experiment.

• Ozmodiar says:

1. 8x8yr
      2. n/a
      3. 4×2
      4. 5.75×2
      5. 1.5×4
      6. 1.5×1
      7. 3.25×4

• JUST ME says:

Now is not the time to talk about that for sooo many reasons. It has already been discussed here for weeks and mostly if they get bounced as you say , right now is the worst time to take decisions. As if you win big a player will want the jackpot, if you lose then you must not judge your assets on this only factor.
      Expect a few to go but try to keep the spirit the experience and the depth of the roster.

• habfan100 says:

Just trying to make conversation. I’m nervous as shi*t lol. You’re absolutely right not the time nor the place, gotta kill the time somehow before Game 6.

• Habsbill24 says:

Can’t sign Markov at the price quoted. You can pay all three of Tinordi, Beaulieu and Pateryn for what Markov wants. And they all should be playing in Montreal next year with PK, Gorges Emelin and maybe Weaver. Use the Markov money for forwards. He has been terrible in the playoffs, leading the team at -5, no goals and being over 35 a cap disaster because you cannot get rid of his contract. He is useful on the power play but that is it. He will just get much worse. Hard to understand why he gets a free pass on this site but Max, DD Vanek and Gionta get killed.

• Marc10 says:

Good question.

1. P.K. Subban 8yrs x 8mil (maybe a bit more to be on relative par with Drew Doughty)
      2. Thomas Vanek – nothing
      3. Brian Gionta – I let him go, but thanks for everything
      4. Andrei Markov – 2 years x 6mil plus one year at 5 mil (we need him to qualify for the playoffs and to mentor the kids)
      5. Dale Weise – 2 years x 1.75 mil
      6. Mike Weaver – 1 year x 1.3 mil
      7. Lars Eller – 3 years x 3.2 mil

I think the key decision awaiting Bergie is does he think Patches can become a dominant player in the postseason. If the answer is no, then he is your best poker chip to get someone of similar regular season value, but with that edge for the post season. I see a few candidates out there that meet this criteria. Will bring it up once we’ve concluded our season… Hopefully in a couple of weeks as opposed to in a day or two.

59. sCOTT1243 says:

They just showed Lundquist squirting water at Crosby when he was down…some of these guys have to grow up a bit.

60. twilighthours says:

Doug Murray has played in seven playoff games against the bruins. His team has won one game and lost six.

If the idea is that you need a big, tough D to play against big, tough Boston, I don’t think Murray is living up to his end of the bargain.

Cube and briere need to dress for game 6. Briere can slide up into vanek’s spot if #20 is still disinterested.

Habs are winning tomorrow. This is going seven.

61. Danno says:

An Exclusive Look Inside Shawn Thornton’s Brain

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

62. Habsbill24 says:

Man, they shood have scratched that floater Crosby. Hasn’t shown up all playoffs with only one goal in now 12 games (3 games worse than Max and at double the salary cap hit) and a minus 2 to boot. Maybe Pittsburgh can trade him to Edmonton for Hall and somebody else. I am sure a lot of those on HIO would agree with that strategy judging by the posts. Bad playoffs by good players happen. The Habs are just not good enough yet throughout their roster including the coaching.

63. SmartDog says:

5 QUESTIONS:
    1. Are Gionta’s comments about the fine on Thornton the right ones to avoid this dragging on? Or butt-kissing? Or…?
    2. Is Patches more snake-bitten or not playing well?
    3. Is PK looking like the next Captain of the Habs? Or is that going too far?
    4. Was Therrien’s line up decision (Briere and/or Murray) a major mistake? Or either a minor error, or no big deal?
    5. Still interested in signing Vanek?

SD

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• twilighthours says:

1) time to move on. Right call
      2) not playing well.
      3) should be. Won’t be.
      4) minor mistakes but against this team, the margins are too tight, and minor mistakes can’t be made.
      5) yes, but the price is dropping.

• SmartDog says:

I’m in general agreement. Except for:
        1. I don’t like the “roll-over” attitude of Gionta. I’d like a little more fight. He could’ve said “the league handled it, move on, we’ve got a game to get ready for”. Gionta’s nice-guy attitude to me is a bit of what’s wrong with the team.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Habilis says:

1. Standard captain-speak. I have no problem with what he said.
      2. Not playing well. I just don’t buy “snake-bitten” at this time of year. You can be snake-bitten in Decemeber. In May, you just suck. Great players elevate their game when it matters most. *cough P.K. cough*
      3. IMO, he is the obvious and best choice going forward.
      4. Something in between minor error and major mistake, call it a regular mistake I guess. One of the two would have been a minor error. Both on the same night ups the ante a bit to my eyes. Not the reason we lost, but obviously didn’t help.
      5. No. Too big a cap hit for what he brings.

• habfan100 says:

1. Right comment, why make something out of nothing? Show it by the score of the game. Don’t play Bruins mind games.
      2. I honestly think Patches is injured.
      3. I think PK is a contender for it, but I think we should keep it vacant next year and see who earns it.
      4. I think Murray should have been in for home games only. Last change for Julien doesn’t help in Boston. I think dressing him in Boston was a mistake. Briere has put up more points than Prust in these playoffs and is healthy. Briere should be in, Prust should be sidelined to recover. Ryan White over Prust at this point.
      5. Nope. If you asked me going into the playoffs and even the Tampa series I would have said Yes. Thomas Vanek has shown to be a floater when it matters most. Can he get us to the playoffs? Hell yes. He can help us in the regular season, but I would not pony up $7M+ for a guy who won’t show up in the postseason against a cup contender. Vanek is gonna want 7 years and at least $7.5M to stay here, No thanks. Vanek is going to start regressing in 2 years, again No thanks.

• JUST ME says:

1- must not fall in the mind games . move on
      2-overconfident not playing well
      3-not the next one but the one after that…
      4-less than minor. either player would not have made the difference
      5-really not sure anymore. Do not know if MTL is the place for a floater even if he scores 30 goals. Do not want to restart the never ending complaints of fans …

• Marc10 says:

5 ANSWERS:
      1. Savvy media management. It’s done and the league gave it the largest fine for that conduct. I recommend return fire with lemon juice.
      2. He hasn’t raised his game and hasn’t figured out how to go about it. If he was a more physical player, he could at least around and look to punish, but that too seems to elude him.
      3. I don’t know that others would follow him or listen to what he says. But he’s a great on ice example of walking the walk.
      4. Not a big deal. Wouldn’t have changed the outcome of Game 4, but we need goals… so put Mr Playoffs back in.
      5. He can help you get to the playoffs, but is not a game breaker in the post season thus far. So no… He didn’t pass the test.

One back at ya:

6. Is Patches destined to be a Patrick Marleau / Joe Thornton type that takes you to the post season but cannot adapt to post season play?And if so, will he change?

64. Psycho29 says:

Dave Stubbs‏ @Dave_Stubbs·18 mins
    Game 6 officials for Habs-Bruins:
    Referees Dan O’Halloran, Kelly Sutherland.
    Linesmen Derek Amell, Derek Nansen

65. Habilis says:

IMHO, last night’s game had a distinct lack of desperation from les boys. Bruins have been playing desperate hockey since they went down 2-1 in the series. We have not responded in kind, outside of P.K. and Carey. Not enough.

We either get desperate tomorrow, or we get gone.

I’ll preface this next part by saying that I do not believe that Murray and Prust cost us the game last night, I believe that our stars not showing up was the cause of our demise. But I do believe that playing those two was a mistake, and an easily recognizable one in hindsight. If either of them plays tomorrow night, then Michel is truly lost.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I think the Habs will come out flying tomorrow. Probably even get an early PP. If they don’t score early, the Bruins survive the onslaught and score, they will be in trouble.

• habfan100 says:

Our 5 on 5 is atrocious against this team, and we honestly had the chance to bury at least one PP goal on the Bruins to make it 1-1 at the intermission. I agree, I believe we lost this game and game 4 because of lack of production from many of our top paid players. Pacioretty, Vanek, Desharnais, Plekanec, Gionta, $25 Million dollars and dare I ask how many points in this series? I’m not sure but I’m going to guess 6-8 points between those guys in 5 games this series?

Sorry not good enough. Period cut and dried.

• twilighthours says:

I only watched the first 30 minutes but the Habs were so brutal. They’ll for sure be better on Monday because they can’t be much worse.

66. habfan100 says:

I knew going into Game 5, it would be a tough game. I expected a close game, with most likely the Bruins winning. What I did not expect was a blow hard, piss poor effort. I have a hard time believing we will see Vanek, Pacioretty, Plekanec, Gionta, or Markov show up in Game 6. Bourque and Eller have regressed into regular season mode. If anything, Subban/Gallagher/Price will win Game 6 for us. I like our odds for Game 6, there’s no excuse. You’re at home, you’re on the ropes, the crowd is behind you, it’s literally a must-win. I expect a Game 3 performance from les boys tomorrow.

Game 6 will show us who shows up and who doesn’t. If we lose, we will see who showed up that game and throughout the series, some names we already know, as mentioned above. If we bow out to the Bruins in 7, whatever, they’re the favourite…we put up a good fight, but please don’t let it happen via collapse in Game 6 at home, or a Leafs style collapse. If were gonna go out it better be in Game 7 OT circa 2011.

I reserve my predictions for Game 7, but I think the Canadiens will win 4-2 tomorrow with an empty netter.

Cheers

• Habcouver says:

Exactly. The poor team effort was disappointing. I hope MB is taking notes of these tendencies.
      It’s fun to predict the outcome for games 6 & 7 but if a Habs are to pull this off, Mac, Vanek and Briere are going to have to show up.
      That said, Habs on 7.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

67. DipsyDoodler says:

What a finish at the Player’s Tournament! Anyone else watching?

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• Ozmodiar says:

> Anyone else watching?

I don’t think so.

;)

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Good day off today. Got to watch City win :(. Liverpool blow it (looking forward to my dude Konoplyanka transferring there) and I also watched some awesome golf. Great finish.

• ABHabsfan says:

I was was watching! Kaymer sure looked like he was going to throw up on himself but turned in a clutch putt on 17 then a perfect drive on 18.
      Spieth is sure a great talent but needs to learn to close, I know he won last year but that was the John Deere and Hearn really handed it to him

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

68. Captain aHab says:

What does anyone see in Andi Petrillo…..she looked like she had a mustache in that last segment….and Andi, yo, sleeveless doesn’t work with you.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

69. UKRAINIANhab says:

May not be a popular opinion but I put Boullion in for Murray tommorow. Obviously in a perfect world I put Tinordi or Beaulieu in but that won’t happen. Murray just can’t play anymore, I don’t follow that advanced stat crap but You don’t have to be a wizard to notice that he always gets hemmed in. I have been thinking. Wouldn’t Beaulieu and Weaver be a nice pairing?

• Captain aHab says:

Totally agree with Beaulieu and Weaver…we need offense. And Beaulieu can take care of himself. The thing I would be worried about with him would be retaliation penalties when the Bruins start to get on his nerves as they will.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• habfan100 says:

I would agree, and I would reunite the Bournival – Briere – Weise fourth line. Go with the lineup we had against Tampa.

70. The Jackal says:

I know it is frustrating when dealing with intense series in the playoffs and the nonsense in them. That being said, let’s not shit on the players who everyone was praising profusely just a week ago. Yes, the team has hit a snag, but they are still playing hockey while 22 other teams are golfing, and they are still in the series.

As for the stuff about Thornton and Gionta’s comments, the NHL’s response, etc – yes Thornton is a douche, but players do dumber shit in the playoffs and get away with it. Gio didn’t mean the team was pleased by the actions of the league or that the punishment settles things, but FFS, it’s water. The players are over it and are focusing on getting revenge by winning, not whining about the punishment not being enough.

71. UKRAINIANhab says:

What did Gionta say?

72. wall2bay says:

Gionta comments on the whole Thornton and water thing were pretty weak. Saying it was ample punishment is something you would expect a Bruins player to say!

It may not sound like a big deal but go out and defend your player and team! It was bush league and reckless. Bruins always talkin about how the “play the right way” and ridiculing the Habs and their players……like c’mon man!!!

• Danno says:

He should have said “it is what it is”

You can never go wrong with that one.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Habfan17 says:

I am sure he does not want to give the Bruins any bulletin board stuff. better the Habs use it as motivation than they give the bruins a reason to use their comments.

Habfan17

• scamorza says:

IMHO not saying much about it cuz you don’t want dem idiots to think they are getting under our skin. More important matters on hand 2 more games to win. You know I crack up reading comments here some times in the beginning of the season many didn’t think this was a playoff team guess what progress has been made from last season we got through the first round and as much as some people here don’t believe , until we are actually done I will continue to believe . I guess I have been spoiled like some here to have seen many cups but the league has changed and yes our teams have not been like the red wings or even dare I say the bruins of late but then again we haven’t been like other teams like the laffs – HAVEN’T MADE the playoffs in 8 of 9 Seasons no w that really sucks.
      For some reason I remember listening to the radio when watching the habs win was it 72 or 73 with Dryden’s debut? And the radio announcer asked the faithful to pray to the hockey gods and my bros and sister did and then Lemaire scored with a slap shot close to centre ice. And then the pocket rocket… So tomorrow night pray to the departed forum gods who need lots of love to come back and give the boys a hand. It ain’t over till it’s over and you don’t celebrate a cup win until you actually do it

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• Marc10 says:

It is bush league. It also sets a precedent in that it’s at least tolerable to interfere with the play from the bench. What’s next…? Laser pointers?

Thornton is an arse. Pierre McGuire and everybody else who make excuses for this thug are apologists for a crass human being who lacks honour and a sense of fair play.

But that’s the Bruins in a nutshell. My only consolation is that the more they piss PK off, the better he plays. Too bad for them. I expect great bounce back games for #6 and #7 from everyone wearing Red, White and Blue.

The best way to put these wankers in their place is to win. Go Habs Go!

• mrhabby says:

Hmmmm..all this uproar over a bit of water is bush..move on.

• slapshot777 says:

Maybe you should move on. This is just not about the water, you just don’t get it at all, it’s about the things that the Bruins are constantly getting away with. These little things keep adding up and then becomes a bigger problem. The water, the Lucic spears then Marchand does it. The Habs don’t want to give any bulletin board material to the Bruins. The Bruins don’t realize that it’s not always something you say to motivate another team. Actions also give teams the motivation to beat their ass.

The Bruins are the ones getting a bit cocky, they think they have this. If they don’t beat the Habs on Monday, they will be the ones in trouble not the Habs.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

73. C-Sword says:

Great start for the Rangers. Now that’s a team with character.