NHL fines Bruins’ Thornton for spraying water at Habs’ Subban

The NHL announced on Sunday that it has fined Boston forward Shawn Thornton $2,820.52 for unsportsmanlike conduct after he squirted water from the Bruins bench at Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban late during Game 5 Saturday night.

The fine – a half day’s pay – is the maximum allowed under the NHL’s collective bargaining agreement. No penalty was called on the play during the game, which the Bruins won 4-2 to take a 3-2 lead in the series. The Canadiens will be facing elimination in Game 6 Monday night at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

“I don’t know if it was (Thornton), but someone had squirted water twice at the end of the game in my visor and I couldn’t even see for a minute and a half,” Subban told reporters in Boston after Saturday’s game. “I was pretty upset about that, but that is part of the game.

“I don’t know if it is part of the game,” he added, correcting himself. “I am sure if that was me (who) did it, it would be a different story. It would probably be on the news for the next three days. I don’t expect that to be a story but listen, whatever it takes to win.”

Subban added: “I don’t want to take away anything from their team. They played well today, they executed. We have to be better. Now it’s do or die for us going back home. We have played well in our barn all year and in this playoffs so we have to execute.”

Thornton told reporters in Boston on Sunday: “I’ll pay the fine. I obviously agree with what the league did there. I’ll pay the fine and move on.

“I’m sorry that the silly incident kind of overshadowed how my teammates played and the great win and how good the series has been. I think that there’s definitely more important things we can be focusing on. I got caught up in the moment and I probably shouldn’t have done that. I’ll move on, get ready for Game 6 and hopefully have a good showing.”

Canadiens captain Brian Gionta told reporters in Brossard Sunday that he thought the NHL’s punishment of Thornton was enough.

“I still haven’t seen what happened,” Gionta said. “But from what I’ve read or whatever I’ve heard, it seems fair enough.

“I’ve seen worse. I guess what they’re trying to do is get guys off their game.”

After the Game 5 loss, Canadiens defenceman Josh Gorges told reporters in Boston that the Habs “had to step up and get the job done” Saturday night, but didn’t do it.

“We didn’t quit,” he added. “We kept pushing, we kept battling. There’s no quit in this team and we know what the stakes are now and we’ll go home and make sure we’re ready for Game 6.”

The Canadiens held an optional practice at 12:30 p.m. Sunday in Brossard. Alex Galchenyuk, sidelined with a lower-body injury, skated by himself Sunday morning.

Thirteen players took part in the practice: forwards Daniel Briere, Travis Moen, Ryan White, Brandon Prust, Michael Bournival and George Parros; defencemen Douglas Murray, Nathan Beaulieu, Mike Weaver, Francis Bouillon and Jarred Tinordi; and goaltenders Carey Price and Peter Budaj.

Speaking with the media on Sunday, Canadiens coach Michel Therrien said: “This group has faced adversity all season long. They’ve always responded well. We’re aware of the challenge in front of us.” –

(Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

(Video by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs)

Game 6 Preview, NHL.com

Bruins’ Thornton fined, NHL.com

Habs remain confident while facing elimination in Game 6, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Watergate II takes on life of its own, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Habs-Bruins rivalry will only get worse, by Jack Todd for The Gazette

Canadiens know what they’re up against in Game 6, NHL.com

Challenge accepted, canadiens.com

Bruins put Canadiens on brink of elimination, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Habs had to step up, but didn’t do it, by Pat Hickey

Canadiens now desperate, NHL.com

Return flight for Habs, canadiens.com

Bruins take series lead, bostonbruins.com

On to Game 6 for Bruins (video), bostonbruins.com

Bruins expect desperate Canadiens in Game 6, Boston Globe

‘I got caught up in the moment,’ Bruins’ Thornton says, Boston Globe

Habs allow them to laugh at them so why wouldn’t they? And yes, I agree about the stick and the delivery.

2. CJ says:

Val d’Or forces a deciding game seven with a 6-3 win.

Shifting gears, Nick Kypreos is reporting that both Jason Spezza and Dion Phaneuf are being shopped. I’d be very surprised if you don’t see some significant changes, around the league, this offseason. With the salary cap and floor rising, a thin UFA market and new leadership in key decision making positions you are likely to see a number of transactions. Win or lose tomorrow night’s game, I’d be surprised if the winds of change don’t impact Montreal. I just hope Bourque did enough in round one to raise his value….. There is a sucker born every second.

• Timo says:

Hah… can you image what Habs can get for Bouillon?

• CJ says:

Up until this past week, I wasn’t entirely sure he wouldn’t be resigned. Our infatuation with players 35 and over is very unique. Many teams have an elder statesman on the roster, but not many teams have five guys who are 35 and over as part of their regular lineup.

• WindsorHab-10 says:

Happiest I’ve seen Kypreos is when Boston finally took the lead in this series. He’s on cloud 9. Idiot.

• B says:

It looked like Grégoire scored to make it 4-4 but they said no goal and then Val d’Or scored to make it 5-3. I thought I could see the puck over the line near the post on the replay. Oh well, they aren’t dead yet.

–Go Habs Go!–

3. Mr. Biter says:

To any other H/IO’s posters, I’ll be going to Hurley’s around 5:00 and be seen on one of their Patio’s wearing a Habs Jersey hopefully smoking a Stogie. Like to meet any other posters who might be there.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

4. slapshot777 says:

Let’s face it guys CBC and next year Sportsnet all have the same feeling towards the Habs. Jealousy towards the Habs are to be expected from the Toronto media and they call themselves professionals. CBC are longing for the Habs to be eliminated so they don’t have to talk about them. The Habs are not done yet, we will win game 6 and game 7 will be anyone’s and the Habs will grab it.

5. Dunboyne Mike says:

I wonder if Mrs Thornton received a Mothers’ Day card from her son today. I wonder was she proud of how he interfered with an opposing player from the bench.

“Was that the same boy you tried to hit in the back but hurt your knee?”

You probably noticed this stuff when he was in elementary, Mrs Thornton. Too bad you didn’t get it done. Happy Mother’s Day, anyway. It can’t have been easy. Hope he sent you some flowers.

• D Mex says:

As I recall, he referred to his father as his ‘ old man ‘ in an interview following the Cup final series vs VAN.
      He’s a class act … uhh, 3rd is a class, right ? :roll:

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

6. PeterD says:

Too bad Galchenyuk has not been able to play in this years playoffs…its such a good growing experience for the young players on the team.
    I’m pretty sure this season will be over after the next one or two games…the positive take away for the Habs is that the young guys like Gallagher, Bourinval, and Eller, are getting a real good lesson on what it takes to win in this league.

7. slapshot777 says:

That is the problem with the NHL and the Bruins. It is only the trivial stuff that the League will take minuscule stand on against the Bruins same with the officiating. Last night Marchand only gets a 2 minute penalty when he should have gotten 4.
    The League will not pass out any suspensions to the Bruins but will pass out petty little fines that are sanctioned by the NHLPA. The League knows that they can do this and then say we couldn’t do any more because the PA doesn’t allow it . A cowards approach.
    The League wouldn’t give Lucic any suspension for the crap he pulled because Jacobs would be all over Bettman, because at the end of the day it is Jacobd who runs the League through Bettman.
    This is why Jacobs was the main player in reinstating Bettman . He knew he had Bettmans ear and he could run the league through him because Bettman owed Jacobs for the favour.
    Jacobs and the Bruins have been riding high ever since. They have gotten away with everything. Name the last player suspended by the League on the Bruins. I bet you will have to back a few years to find it.
    Why don’t the League just give the Bruins the cup at the start of the season and fogey playing the season. Talk about tainted cups. Jacobs and Bettman should be ashamed of themselves for what they are doing, and they flaunt it to everyone else.

8. WindsorHab-10 says:

Gee, may be Gionta will be a Bruin next year after that stupid comment.

9. habfan01 says:

$2800- That’s as big a joke as Lucic’s nut jabbing fine.

On a plus side, Habs don’t need to worry about signing Vanek.

You folks still discussing the water bottle spray? Come on… of all the thing Bruins did this is probably the most innocent one. Big whoop. But if Habs are smart they will use this as a motivation and come out swinging tomorrow (little hope but still hope).

The most maddening thing is that Bruins can do sh!t like that and know that they will get away with that. Year after year after year.

• Habcouver says:

Yeah, the incident would not have drawn this much attention if we had won. To be honest, this antic does not make me despise the Gooins more because karma will prevail.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• Timo says:

I just think that a lot more dirty stuff happens in course of a game than this. Disrespectful? Absolutely. But come on. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

• Habcouver says:

The media is making this issue a mountain. PK is over it, Thornton is guilty, and game on tomorrow… and even if karma doesn’t take place in this series, it gives us here on HIO more reason to hate the Gooins and vent.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
          Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• habcertain says:

If it provides motivation it will be worth it, seemed to be the missing piece last night. Go figure, game 5 of the series???

• Habcouver says:

There’s no doubt that our Boys should have been motivated to mop up the Gooins by reasons other than this incident.
          They are in truth a few players away, so for them to possibly beat the Gooins in the next two games would be a miracle!

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
          Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• habcertain says:

I agree, but if they can muster a game tomorrow then game 7 is up for grabs. I think we had an opportunity in game 2 as the bruins have proved to be slow starters, we dropped the ball.

• JohnBellyful says:

Tim, Tim, Tim. Oh, oh, oh.
      It’s one thing to have the Bruins slash, knee, elbow, spear, crosscheck, and hit from behind — but to waste water when parts of the world are parched and crops are failing.
      It’s a crime against humanity, I tell you.
      And you wonder at the outrage.
      Sometimes you just don’t get it.
      Sheesh.
      No, I mean, SHEESH!

• JUST ME says:

Wow ! The master himself telling us to get over a subject as if he was an example to follow ! Sometimes not saying things can make you look better you know… ah…

• habstrinifan says:

“But if Habs are smart they will use this as a motivation and come out swinging tomorrow (little hope but still hope).”…… yeah

except our captain doesnt know anything about it and not a peep from the brass. Motivation my eye.

• Strummer says:

Why is it cool?

____________________________________________________
      “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• BJ says:

Commandant yesterday you replied your personal choice for our first round pick would be Roland McKeown. Is he that good? A player to replace McDonaugh perhaps? I was surprised at your selection äs we are already loaded on D.

• Commandant says:

We have drafted one defenceman in the last two drafts. At some point that “loaded” on D will soon become “needy on D”

By the time McKeown is even ready for the AHL… the 2016-17 season, I fully expect that Tinordi, and Beaulieu are full-time Habs. Meanwhile Pateryn is either a full-time member of the Habs or has moved on. We’ll also know where our darkhorse prospects like Morgan Ellis, Darren Dietz, Josiah Didier, and Dalton Thrower stand. Are they real prospects or AHLers. A lot will happen in two years, and there isn’t much in the “next wave” after this group because we have focused on forward.

So for me, I think we see about a 50/50 split in D and forwards this draft.

As for McKeown, he has size and strong two-way play. He has a good shot. But above all he is a fantastic skater, which has always been the number one trait that Trevor Timmins looks for in a defenceman. Add in that he’s a RH shot, and you have a really nice looking prospect.

Also this far before a draft, my pick is usually a guy I identify as being higher in my rankings than most of the other services out there. A guy who i think could be available when the Habs pick but has high end talent that I think is being underrated for some reason.

Here are two articles I’ve done on him… one a ranking piece and one an interview.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Morgan Ellis is not a long shot, he’s from PEI, I too am form PEI, that makes him a sure thing.

Flawless logic.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Danno says:

Just out of curiosity, how do Tinordi’s advanced stats stack up?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

12. crane says:

Beaulieu P.K.
    Markov Emelin
    Georges Weaver

Patches D.D. Vanek
    Briere Plekanec Gally
    Bork Eller Gionta
    Bournival White Wiese

• Commandant says:

I’m fully in favour of playing Beaulieu, but not on the first pairing. PK needs to play thirty minutes, and against the Bruins best players. Beaulieu is not close to ready for that.

Beaulieu and Weaver, with the same sheltered minutes Murray was getting is fine.

13. RJ says:

Let’s get some revenge against these liars and punks tomorrow. Keep giving us motivation moron Broons.

“My face is my mask,” Gump Worsley

14. Habitant in Surrey says:

@Spats, BJ, and the intelligent Guys here that provided a great link on the previous thread

…the World is complex and We rail against hegemony no matter the hegemonist

…better the hegemonist We know ? …that is Our’s ?

…to quote J.C. Collins (who I thank You for introducing Me to)

“The world has already dramatically changed more than most realize. This will become more and more apparent in the coming months and years. I will agree with Jim on the fact that the financial system is a joke. The new SDR one will not be much different. Unless there is a world wide revolution from the ground up by the disorganized masses there will never be a system which truly benefits humanity as a whole. Human nature dictates that ultimate outcome. Rent seeking happens at all levels of society, its just more personified at the top. Every financial system is designed to maintain an predetermined balance of the wealth transfer from the disorganized masses to the small organized elite. Period. If people want to change that than they need to change themselves first. We are generations away from this ever happening. And if there was a true revolution by the masses, which is impossible, the end result would be just more of the same. Until people change themselves, esoterically speaking, what Jim and others are stating is impossible. Human nature assures it.”

15. 1010 says:

Water bottle issue is the big thing. Yup. Sure is. (Don`t get me wrong, it should have been addressed). Meanwhile, the sickest puke in all of hockey spears a player in the guts, after a harmless hit along the boards, and……crickets. The same player who likes to jab them in the balls and brilliantly analyzes the act by saying, `I don`t know why I do those things`.
    And then some other idiot throws out there that the refs didn`t see it. Here`s guessing that if someone ends up with a ruptured spleen the league will notice. But then again, maybe not. In the meantime, let`s keep the focus on the water bottle incident. That can be written off as a childish prank.

GO HABS…

• bus driver says:

Instead of a fine Thornton should be forced to play the same amount of minutes PK does, This guy is a joke bring out Parros for one shift either Thornton Lucy or that ugly goon chara

16. UKRAINIANhab says:

What are the odds Montreal wins the series? For me 50%. No one say 100% or 0%…

• joeybarrie says:

Gotta win 2 games where Boston only needs one.
      so that’s already down to 33%.
      They have been the much more dangerous team and have even lines playing well. Our top line is struggling.
      Goalies are prob even.
      So realistically 25%.

But our backs are to the wall. Normally we do well in those situations.
      So win tomorrow and its 49%.

17. Danno says:

test.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

18. VintageFan says:

Thornton should be restricted to using sippee cups for the balance of the playoffs. I believe they already come in Boston colours

19. Habitant in Surrey says:

…a lot of Tim Horton’s love from Boston Globe’s Kevin Paul Dupont

‘In Canada, every morning they chase the cup’ :)

20. JohnBellyful says:

Here’s the NHL announcement on Thorton’s ‘punishment':

“NEW YORK — Boston Bruins forward Shawn Thornton has been fined $2820.52, the maximum permitted under the CBA, for unsportsmanlike conduct during Game 5 of the teams’ Second Round Stanley Cup Playoffs series in Boston on Saturday, May 10, the National Hockey League’s Department of Player Safety announced today.
    The incident occurred at 19:13 of the third period. No penalty was assessed on the play.
    The fine money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.”

Okay, so the league’s hands are tied as to how much of a fine it can levy. But does the union agreement preclude it from using harsh language to express how disgusted it is by Thorton’s bush league antics?
    Here’s an abbreviated version of the statement the NHL should have issued:

“NEW YORK — Boston Bruins forward Shawn Thornton has been fined $2820.52, the maximum permitted under the CBA, for unsportsmanlike conduct during Game 5 of the teams’ Second Round Stanley Cup Playoffs series in Boston on Saturday, May 10.
    To be clear, Thorton’s unsportsmanlike conduct was to disgrace himself by behaving in an entirely unprofessional manner that some would even characterize as despicable. He showed no respect for his opponent, the reputation of his team, or the good name of the NHL.
    The league stresses that this is not how the game should be played, and it would be dismayed if behaviour of this kind were to be seen as an example to follow for children who play hockey. The league is as disgusted as their parents must have been to witness such stupidity.
    In fact, it has asked Mr. Thorton to offer a sincere apology for what he did and to commit to never again act in a way that tarnishes the league’s image.
    He needs to be disabused of the notion that spraying an opponent with water in the course of play is somehow a measure of toughness. It’s the very opposite: It’s silly, it’s cowardly, it’s infantile.
    That Mr. Thorton was oblivious of this fact says, distressingly, a great deal about his character.
    The fine money goes to the Players’ Promotion of Common Decency Fund.”

You should see the statement the league plans to issue when it acquires the courage to give Marchand and Lucic their just desserts.

21. FANHABULOUS says:

The playoffs have an interesting way of shining a light on players that are able to rise to the occasion, and players that wilt under that immense pressure. It’s obvious to anybody watching this series, whether you’re a Habs fan, or even if you’re a Boston fan, that the players on our team that have raised their game this post-season are few and far between:

Subban and Price (obvious)
    Emelin (who’s still not afraid to hit)
    Weaver (throwing himself in front of everything, and playing above expectations)
    Gorges (again, playing solid D consistently)

There are very few of our forwards who have shown up, except for the Eller line, Gally, Bourny, Weiss.

I am extremely disappointed in Max… he’s proving (again) that when the heat is on, he doesn’t step up. Pleks is another. Someone on HNIC pointed out that he’s our version of Bergeron, yet for the past 5-6 playoffs that we’ve played in he’s been a minus player EVERY year. You just can’t do that… he wilts under pressure. I love both of these guys and wish they had it in them to raise their game when it counts… but I’m losing faith in their ability to do it.

You can just see on the ice the guys who are intimidated, and guys like Subban and Gally that are not. You don’t have to be a grinder, that’s not what I’m getting at… I’ll use MT words and called them “gamers”. We just don’t have enough of those guys, and the top guys we count on to deliver are not in that category.

Last thing… if you had never watched the Habs play in your life, and you all of a sudden started watching this series, and if there were no letters on the sweaters… who would you think was the captain and leader of this team? And I don’t mean just against Boston, but Tampa too. Gionta? No chance. Pleks? No chance.

I think this playoff series has proven once and for all, that Subban should be handed the keys to this club… a new contract plus the C. He’s not only deserved it with his Norris, but also every playoff series he’s played.

____________________________________
    “You will not regret picking me” – PK Subban.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Your referencing to Pj Stock so well that is therefore, invalid. Look at Plekanec’s stats he is one of our best point producing players. Amazing that when the refs call 2 bull crap penalties everyone can change there opinion.

No mention of invisible Desharnais???

• SPATS says:

I appreciate your post. And, while I agree with your PK for captain angle and especially the imagery you’ve painted for me with the nameless jerseys, I don’t see it happening anytime soon or as long as MT is coach. I can see it happening with MB as GM and Geoff Molson as president, but I believe MT has turned the locker room culture (right or wring) into membership at Augusta National and tradition and team first will always trump the strong individual. It will take another couple of years of PK showing less is more or MT’s departure first. I for one would love to see PK wearing the C and maybe then we’ll then see the low five comeback too.

• habs_54321 says:

Max takes way too many easy routes for loose pucks than he should, before his injury a couple years ago that was not the case he was willing too go through you too get the puck and was a force, right now he is simply a triggerman, still a useful regular season player but so much more is and should be expected because he is capable of so much more.

22. Stooof says:

Not only did they miss an offsetting minor in this case of Rask vs Pleks, he should have gotten a match penatly, because of the obvious implications of punching someone with a hardened blocker, something that could be likened to a weapon.. What a jerk off move by rask, they know these things are harder than cement. Brutal officiating.

23. Ron says:

Kevin Dupont who is a writer for the Boston Globe twitted a few mins ago about Thornton.
    “Can’t really say you respect opponent, then sit on bench, squirt water in face, laugh about it for TV cameras to chronicle. Odd respect”
    I’m somewhat surprised Dupont would say that. Good for him

24. Habitant in Surrey says:

…here’s something I suggested yesterday, that makes sense to Me …and re-posting, to find if it makes sense to You

“another possibility, play 7 D-men …let Beaulieu play/swing on the fourth line”

25. ragethorn says:

I’m not mad at the Bruins. They’re lucky they haven’t been eliminated.

I’m just mad that the Habs are in this situation. After all the death threats and racial slurs, after all the hard work, we’re still in this position.

If there’s any justice in this world, the Bruins will lose the next 2 games by a big amount.

I don’t mind losing. I just hate when they play the way they did in Game 5. It’s frustrating. I don’t mind them losing the way they did in Game 4.

Either way, good season boys. Can’t wait to yell and scream in round 3.

26. CH Marshall says:

Just making up scenarios in my head. Not that anyone would trade for DD. But say if you could move Chucky eventually to 1st line. Maybe trade DD somewhere and Briere as well. And then trade for … Vincent Lecavalier. Who would have a cap hit of 1mil more than DD, and 1 year longer on his term. Anyways, enjoy the rest of your day yall

27. 24AW says:

what a joke the NHL has become. Racial slurs at PK from the fans in Boston, Now a Bruins player squirts water in his face while the game was in play and he gets a pocket change fine. Bettman, you and the rest of your crony’s are worthless.

28. Maritime Ronn says:

The respected smart poster Mr_MacDougall writes:
    “…put Boullion with Subban on the first pairing, which lead to PK playing his worst hockey (from a numerical standpoint) as a Hab.”
    ———————–
    That’s an interesting comment.
    Subban has never been blessed with a real Top 4 D partner except his short time with Markov.
    Bouillon is a 8th-10th Dman on a real Cup contender.

Looking at the NHL’s Top Dmen, their partners are a big part of their success.

Keith-Seabrook
    Doughty- Muzzin (so underrated)
    Chara-Boychuk
    Suter- (Scandella or Brodin – unknown and underrated)
    Weber – training the supremely talented Seth Jones, and also had Suter and Hamhuis as former partners.
    Pietrangelo-Boumeester.

Or imagine Subban paired with any of the left shooting Pitt Dmen of Olli Maatta, Paul Martin, or even the injured Rob Scuderi?

The list is so long.
    You can add lefties like Francois Beauchemin and..Ryan McDonagh.

Habs Management must find a suitable partner for Subban – Beaulieu should be top of the list….unless there are Rumsfeld “Unknown Unknowns” that would not allow that to happen.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Thanks for the nice intro!

Markov is the obvious choice IMO… Unless they go outside the organization… I think a decision has to be made between Gorges and Emelin, not because there is an issue with either of them, it’s simply because they are both lefties and make $4 million, far too much for a bottom pair, especially with Nathan Beaullieu and Jarred Timordi waiting to come up.. Mega log jam at Left D.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Wow, I missed your suggestion of Nate.. Perhaps that is more obvious… Emelin Is looking pretty solid on the right side, so if Markov is signed! and Nate can work with PK, that top 4 could be unmatched in the entire NHL…
      ~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

29. joeybarrie says:

Fined 90k this season so far…. Not available for comment after the game.
    Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

30. Slackman says:

Haven’t had a chance to post this yet but man, when PK scored he shut the crowd up hard. They had a huge “Subban Sucks” chant going on and he just ripped one in, making Tuukka Rask look like a baffoon, and making it a more bitter victory for the Broons. I think that goal might just be a big momentum shift for the Habs coming home on monday. We can take this one all the way.

So here it is. Book this. Take it to the bank.

PK will score the game 7 OT winner in Boston.

“When the going get’s weird, the weird turn pro”

• BJ says:

Good call. I think Rask had his first UFO encounter as that rocket zinged by him. I think he only felt the breeze. And we will continue to build on that what seemed unimportant goal, which will turn out to be the first building block. No way the boys don’t win the next one.

• SPATS says:

Just like Eller’s seemingly unimportant goal against the Sens (which IMHO turned our season on a dime)
        I keep tellin y’all…
        HABS are Rask’s CHryptonite
        And We gotta keep Pleks outta the sinbin

• habstrinifan says:

It will only be an ‘unimportant’ goal if MT makes it so. And you should know what I mean by now.

• Mavid ® says:

He sure struck a fancy pose as the puck flew by him…he looked like a total knob..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

I think DD should be sat next game. Put Briere with Pacioretty and Vanek.

32. 24AW says:

The 1st round we had 4-lines contributing that’s the big reason we won in 4-games, this round we have individuals contributing, you don’t win a series or a Stanley Cup playing that way.
    everyone contributes or it’ll be just a memory.

33. CH Marshall says:

I’m part of the minority here who thinks dressing Murray is still a mistake. The guy is behind on the play and the puck just doesn’t get out of our zone. We’re hemmed in and four guys are trying to cover for his abilities. As for his size, that’s one thing, but where we really need size is upfront. Same ol same ol. Hopefully MB has a plan aside from more Briere and DD extensions, as good as they both are.

• BJ says:

I love Murray and was very happy when the Habs signed him. He has made a fair contribution. I think now I would bypass both Murray and Bouillon and go with Beaulieu. We need more offence and a better solution on the second wave of the PP. And let Beaulieu play his natural left side.

34. SPATS says:

I propose a toast to all HIO members who also lost their Moms way too young… Mine left us at 66, 11 years ago after a brave battle vs cancer.

I really feel for Marty St Louis today and hope his situation continues to motivate his team to another win tonight and a win in game 7.

Marty was in Montreal yesterday picking up his Dad and Sister and bringing them back to the Big Apple for tonite’s tilt.

I also feel for PK and am glad he’s wondering aloud about what the reaction would be had he done the classless act on Thornton. Call them all out PK!

While this storyline doesn’t compare to Marty’s, it should be fodder enough to rally the team around its star and get them to dig deeper and lay it all on the line.

We can all feel for Marty today, then open a can of HABS whupass in round 3 on the rags.

OOH AAH HABS ON THE WARPATH :-)

• BJ says:

Spats thanks for the link (political) way down the line. Its indeed very interesting and appreciated.

• SPATS says:

My pleasure TinTin, on a serious note, you will feel the pinch of Americas sanctions there in Germany more than I will in Ottawa. Enjoy the blog

• BJ says:

You are perhaps right. Germany is the cash cow for many Euro countries. Although my sister is here visiting with us from Ottawa and she told me that she is pleasantly surprised by most consumer goods including food being substantially cheaper. I’ve been away too long to gauge. One concern is energy, if Russia decides to shut off the valves via the Ukraine, it would be a serious problem, as energy is already quite expensive. Its time for the black budget zero point energy devices and technologies to be released. To say nothing of anti gravity travel.

• SPATS says:

Agreed. Supressed technology and the ongoing meltdown at Fukushima are flying completely under the radar my friend. We really are at the mercy of the parliament of chimpanzees.

35. WindsorHab-10 says:

Wow, the league definitely sent a message to Thornton & the Bruins with that hefty fine. What a joke of a league when it comes to discipline & officiating. God help us if a Bruin should ever get suspended. What really bothers me is that the experts say Thornton should be suspended but the league will not do it. Teams & players will take the law into their own hands dealing with bullies & pukes like Thornton, Lushit & Marchand.

• joeybarrie says:

such a poor sportsman move, and the league pretty much endorses it by doing something useless.
      its pretty pathetic.

I don’t want our team to stoop to such levels. But we should show the bruins next game what we think of it.
      I would love to see Prust flatten Thorton. Ideally right into his own bench.
      Make the bruins try to retaliate all game while we try to win.

• stevieray says:

Many young hockey players look up to NHL’ers as heroes and role models ….let’s hope no coach or parent of these boys and girls condone the kind of classless behavior of the Bruins ..even though HNIC morons endorse it.

36. adamkennelly says:

the fine is a joke. they are acknowledging that he tossed water at PK during the play but its not suspicion worthy for Thornton – given the type of player he is, the 15 game suspension he already faced and the target of his actions – isn’t the league supposed to protect star players? prolly true if they play in the states and are white.

f-ng embarrassing.

• BJ says:

Not with Jacobs and Bettman holding hands.

• beliveau4 says:

I have been a lifelong hockey fan and a devote Habs fan since I could walk and talk. I hate that we have to change our team in order to be able to compete at this other team’s disgusting level! I watched my sons play hockey all their lives and witnessed hundreds of “head contact” penalties called and yet how many times do we have to watch Lucic or Chara or Thornton or (insert just about any Bruins name here) make initial contact with our players head without a penalty being called? Patches and Gallagher have had multiple head shots, how can we expect them to play without fear of the next hit knocking them out of the game forever? Do you think anybody that hits Lucic isn’t thinking “Is he going to spear my nuts” after they skate away? It drives me crazy that one of our guys makes a pass and you can almost count to 5 and a Bruin is hitting the passer! Thats not finishing a check, thats roughing! We don’t have the horses to play this brand of “hockey”. We put Mongo in a jersey and hope he catches someone to hit him. Our fighter is washed up. Our tough guys are hurt. The bullies own the playground again and there is little fear of retribution from the league or the other team. I’m sorry but Therrien pisses me off, fight for these guys for Christ’s sakes!! Pat Burns would be freaking livid!!! God I miss him! I know this is not his style now but the ship is sinking, go down fighting man! Put the lines back together that got you here, sit the guys that aren’t 100% for some youth and start barking! You may win this series Boston, but not in our god damn building!!

37. joeybarrie says:

despite a 15 game suspension for a hit on Orpik. And the other suspensions. They are still only fining for this stuff.
    so that does pretty much absolutely nothing….
    great job.

• Paz says:

I would like to see every Hab pick up a water bottle, skate over to the Bruins bench after the warm up, and each one empty their bottles in Bruin players’ faces. The league would do what exactly? Fine each player and maybe the coach 2 thousand?

That should be part of Monday’s opening ceremonies.

They want a circus. They encourage a circus. We give them a real circus!!

38. Habitant in Surrey says:

…it’s been quite a few years since both My Mother and My Children’s Mother passed away

…there is a large loneliness and sadness I and My Children bear on Mother’s Day

…WE are all very much hoping Y’all don’t take this day for granted, and take the opportunity to tell Your Mothers I love You :)

• BJ says:

Thats the nice thing about Love, it has no barriers and it transcends time and space. The feeling of that Love is the connection itself. Thanks for bringing it up.

• Clay says:

Well stated Christopher – cheers.

__________________________
      ☞ “The deepest sin of the human mind is to believe things without evidence” ~ Aldous Huxley ☜

• Mavid ® says:

well said..I lost my wonderful mother at a very young age (56) I always find this day difficult even after 23 year of her being gone..I have 2 amazing sons who alway make this day special and that helps take some of the pain away..having a grandchild is also bittersweet, as I adore her but so would my mom..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

39. habsmandes says:

We need to put Beaulieu and White in the linup. We need offence and better defence.

40. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

At least a certain blah blah team has not been mentioned here. That’s a victory in itself.

41. habcertain says:

The whining that goes on about the league is against us, the refs never give us the calls is getting quite ridiculous. We were outplayed on every level of the game. PK and Galley looked to be the only 2 guys who had any fight, Price also, the vets all disappeared. MT continues to put Vanek with Pleks and Bourney, which is crazy, Bourney is a kid that can’t finish and Pleks has clearly a diminished capacity in the ozone. His standard move is take the puck across the line and shoot from the wide angle. Vanek on the DD line has been our only real offensive thrust since he came, but no, we have stubborn coach who can’t adjust and refuses to look at the stats.

He then sits Briere who was hired for this very moment, and when he does dress him gives 6 minutes of 4th line ice. Coming off a shutout and we all sensed we were going into one of those scoring comas, he decides Murray is the guy he should dress, when we have the likes of a Beaulieu who can create speed and opportunities. We are not going to out muscle the Bruins, we need to fly by them.

Lastly I heard his post game conference, if anyone has given up it is him, he sounded like a little boy crying in his sandbox. The team had zero intensity, man up Therrien.

42. Habitant in Surrey says:

… $2,820.52 ????

…this is funnier than Redd Foxx

…You mean there was some special committees of owners and players, during those interminable cancelled seasons’ lock-outs, that stayed up unto the wee hours of the morning negotiating the deterrence (fines and suspensions) for a player that tries or does affect the flow of play whilst themselves not on the ice ?

…and, after multiple all-nighters of bitter back-and-forth finally compromised on a $2,820.52 fine ???

…Good Gawd Almighty !!!

…mind-blowing

…and, fantastical

43. Danno says:

Anyone knowing the whereabouts of Thomas Vanek is asked to please call: 1-800-GO-HABS

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

44. DipsyDoodler says:

Question of order.

Are we waiting till Tuesday to do the post-mortem?

—–
    Moving. Forward.

45. Mr_MacDougall says:

I think the Habs are better on D than the Bruins… The difference is, the bruins were forced to give increased roles to their young guys when Seidenberg and McQuaid went down, and were able to continue plugging along allowing the young guys to become playoff ready.

Our Habs had injuries (Gorges) and went with a different strategy, put Boullion with Subban on the first pairing, which lead to PK playing his worst hockey (from a numerical standpoint) as a Hab. I think they missed a grand opportunity to have Both Tinordi and Beaullieu in the lineup. Sure the Habs were struggling with Price out, and needed to grind out points to ensure a playoff spot, but once a playoff spot was all but assured, they focused on grinding out points to get 2nd, and fell short… Then neither Tinordi or Beaullieu were,ready for playoff hockey.

I think the Habs have to consider moving Markov up with PK, all great 5 on 5 teams have their top 2 D together, it allows a team to have its most talented 5 man unit on the ice even strength, something g the Habs didn’t have all season. I think Weaver is a RH Josh Gorges, sure he is up there in age, but I’d consider moving Gorges and keeping Weaver.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Maritime Ronn says:

The respected poster Mr_MacDougall writes:
      ———————–
      That’s an interesting comment.
      Bouillon is a 8th-10th Dman on a real Cup contender.

Looking at the NHL’s Top Dmen, their partners are a big part of their success.

Keith-Seabrook
      Doughty- Muzzin (so underrated)
      Chara-Boychuk
      Suter- (Scandella or Brodin – unknown and underrated)
      Pietrangelo-Boumeester.

The list is so long.
      You can add lefties like Francois Beauchemin and..Ryan McDonagh.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

It’s amazing how PK has done so much with so little.. No disrespect to Gorges, but he is no where near the quality of the others you have mentioned. Could Weaver be a ‘Gorges’ for Nat Beau? Or is that asking too much..

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

46. adamkennelly says:

pretty clear that all Julien’s bitching about the refs accomplished his goal. Refs take their whistles out of their pocket – in Boston and look what happens.

Also – Rask punched Pleky in the face twice with his blocker – no call – not even a rough.

Habs lost the game because they got outplayed on special teams – but without a doubt the tilt was in Boston’sn favor – especially considering all the crap they get away with not being called.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

The turning point was the 2 quick goals early in the 2nd, a direct result of the non-call on Rask. Sure Gio blew coverage on Iggy, and Price should have made the save, but that is irrelevant because the B’s should not have had a PP.

I’d argue that the Rask blocker to the head was closer to being a Match penalty than to being a non call.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

47. JF says:

The Bruins were the better team last night, but, if it hadn’t been for the 52 seconds in which they scored two goals, the score would have been tied. We’ve played them pretty even throughout the series, and the games have turned on small things. This isn’t over. There’s no reason to think we can’t win tomorrow night and send the series to Game seven.

48. D Mex says:

Jacobs : ” … OK Gary, just wanna’ be sure you’ve got this straight. Another useless fine to p!ss them and their fans off, and I’ll have Claude do another presser before game 6 just to rub it is a bit more. Got it, Gary ? ”

Buttman : ” Yes, boss. ”

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

49. Thomas Le Fan says:

Earth to P.K., if you can’t see through the visor, either get off the ice or throw your helmet on the ice and get going! This ain’t the Olympics. Secondly, do everything possible to get a three goal lead with a couple minutes left and spear the little bugger in the nuts. You can afford 5K. Okay, just kidding. Sort of. Go Habs!

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

50. johnnylarue® says:

Kinda hard to believe we would put ourselves through all this again next season, eh?

;)

51. Commandant says:

If a spear to the junk is a $5000 fine and not a suspension…. then we really shouldn’t be surprised.

I’m fine with it though. Thornton is a fourth line plug… let him stay in the lineup instead of a rookie who might do something important.

• Strummer says:

Subban isn’t bothered about being squirted with water.
      Why should anyone else?

____________________________________________________
      “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• D Mex says:

I get your resignation with these fines, but not the implied agreement of ‘ I’m fine with it … ” [I see what you did there, BTW :-]

As hockey fans or sport fans, or simply as men, I don’t see how we can agree with the NHL’s lightweight response to the Lucic-tickle.

There’s plenty of evidence out there to support the notion that he’s just a larger-dimensioned bully / c0ward, and his recently-unveiled Lucic-tickle is just the most recent example of that.

Maybe the mantra should be : ” Fine is not fine ” … :?:

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

• Mr_MacDougall says:

If I were a coach of children and they sprayed an opponent, they’d most definitely be riding the pine.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• D Mex says:

I do coach children – actually, young and older adolescents, and feel the same way.

It’s evident that Julien shepherds the same mindset in Boston (Marchand and Thornton come to mind …) but does not share this view. Actually, he coaches role models, but his hypocrisy would never ” get ” this.

Hey, does this brings us back to the nonsense on twitter after game #1 ? So glad I was raised with the Habs organization to show the way …

ALWAYS Habs –
          D Mex

52. CJ says:

Looking for a distraction this afternoon? Baie Comeau and Val d’Or are on TVA at 16:00. Great series thus far.

Sure, last night was disappointing, but if there’s one thing I’ve learned in life it’s not to dwell on things outside of your control. I’m taking a break today, and based on many of the comments posted, I’d suggest others consider doing the same.

In parting, one quick shout out to all the mothers within our online community. I trust you are all having a great day! Best wishes, CJ

53. Habs_Norway says:

And 52 cent!!

______________________________________
    Say no to visors and sign Emelin for 10 years

54. The Teacher says:

The reason that we lost is very disappointing to me.

We lost because we had no will to win, aside from very very few players (subban, Gallagher, price). Very very disappointing

55. Maritime Ronn says:

…And the Squirt Bottle manufacturers line up to make Shawn Thornton the face of their new Marketing Strategy.

“Be a Winner-Give a Little NHL Squirt” is the Slogan…while background character Jeremy Jacobs fills the water bottles, and Colin Campbell directs Thornton where to squirt (with the tacit understanding that there will never be a suspension…)

The $2,820.52 fine is about as ridiculous as the above, but heck, the NHL is all about Business, right?

When the Chairman of NBC Sports Mark Lazarus gets together with NHL Board Chairman Jeremy Jacobs and NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman…who do you believe they would like to see in the Eastern Conference Finals?

Simply put and without going into long business theory:
    Strategize for the desired end result, then plot the path to get there.
    For the most part, it works.

Remember what exactly the NHL has become.
    According to its Constitution it is:
    ” An Unincorporated Association Not For Profit,” and Article 6 is a dandy where it spells out the Responsibilities of The Commissioner.

Article 2(b) states, ” The Promotion of ‘common interests of the members of the league, each being an owner…”

The question becomes: Who controls not all, but the Ownership majority?

Niccolo Machiavelli never said, ” The end justifies the means,” yet he did say:
    ” If an injury has to be done to a man, it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared.”

There are unconfirmed rumors that the 3 mentioned above allegedly hold the once Niccolo in great esteem…and yet also allegedly believe that the end really does justify the means.

• PrimeTime says:

Conspiratheorize much? I suppose Habs were told after period 3 in game 2 to back off by the the NHL?? Makes as much sense.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Conspiracy?
        This is a + $3 Billion Dollar Business.

No one can determine end results, yet only the naive believe that NHL hockey is pure sport…and if you believe it is, why are the refs informed to call everything during the regular season, yet sometimes put whistles away in the playoffs?

When Chicago meets any California team, no one cares who wins.
        When Boston meets New York or the Crosby/Malkin Pittsburgh, no one cares who wins.

I’m waiting for the day when Winnipeg meets Ottawa in the Cup Final….or Montreal vs. Calgary.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

It is maddening, who does “putting the whistles away” favour..

Funny thing is, there is more money to be made in Canada (advertisers pay 5 times more per 30 seconds in Canada during playoffs) but the NHL is focused on growth. Is there a point that growth is maximized? Perhaps there comes a time where you just try to maintain rather than grow…

I think Molson should be putting together highlight packs of missed calls after every game of missed calls and eat the fine.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Habcouver says:

I agree with you, Ronn, with regards to the business influences on our great pastime. A fair game in sport is a beast of the past. There are too many outside interests to ignore. I’m thankful to have enjoyed hockey when it was a lot simpler.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
          Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Too bad the NHLPA weren’t allowed to purchase the Yotes and Panthers.. I suppose if I was an owner if vote against that as well…

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• D Mex says:

I ranted about the Thornton matter last night and rolled Buttman into my comments by observing that, if he had any knowledge or appreciation for the game of hockey that extends beyond a US dollar, he would have directed steps be taken to deal with Thornton and his owner.

This fine is pure comedy, just like SNL.

For as long as we have Buttman and his ilk running the show in NYC, it strongly appears we will have to tolerate the circus-like atmosphere that they espouse. For the most part, US audiences can’t relate to the skill sides of the game, but everyone loves a good circus.

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

• Just a Habs Fan says:

I’m afraid Bettman is like MT…he will never be respected no matter what he does it is wrong. That’s why the players are making millions a year for skating up and down the ice. Playing a game that I/we paid to play for many years……..I tell you the people on here including some of the reasonable posters of the past ought not blame Bettman or anyone else for the Habs losing this series. If you had any thought process at work at all it is a extremely long shot for the Habs to defeat Boston in a 7 game series and I am surprised that anyone believes that the cards are stacked against them by Bettman or Jacobs…really people….really. This site is getting to be like nut house more and more. Yes I could move on but that would only change the ratio a bit more.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Ifmthe Habs had a #1 Center they’d walk over the b’s.. Joe Thornton with Vanek and Patch would be unstoppable… Ship DD to Fla.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• habcertain says:

Yeah and the moon landings was done in a studio

• JohnBellyful says:

Hab fans moan about the team having too many small players. Size isn’t a problem, it’s attitude. Look at Boston, two of its tough guys are little squirts.

56. habsfan0 says:

“The NHL announced on Sunday that it has fined Boston forward Shawn Thornton $2,820.52 ”

$2,820.52??
    I’m assuming that includes GST.

57. nshab says:

The Bruins rolled the dice with a rookie and it paid off. How about putting Conner Crisp 6″ 3 and Tinordi 6″6 in the line up.

• Commandant says:

Playing the Bruins on their terms… preparing for a physical war, is not the way to win this series.

The Habs can’t win a game based on out-toughing Boston. No team in the NHL can.

You need to out-skate them to stand a chance…. so I’d put Briere back in, and dress Beaulieu on the back end. Play to your strength and your advantage. Make your lineup ready for a track meet type of game…

• Habfan17 says:

I agree with you with one caveat, they do need to hit and finish their checks, wear down the defence, force them and make them think. That is not to say to out tough them or go for huge hits, just enough to tire them out and force the play!

Habfan17

• Commandant says:

Part of playing with speed, is a strong and aggressive forecheck…. so yes I agree.

Playing with speed is getting on the Bruins as the try to retrieve loose pucks… sometimes thats getting the puck first and sometimes thats forcing them to make a play quicker than they want to, one guys who is great at it for a rookie is Bournival… but its all about one thing.

SPEED! SPEED!! SPEED!!!

• Ton says:

Not true……..the 70’s hab team had to make adjustments when there 74/75 team was not physical enough to compete with Rangers, Flyers, Bruins, and Sabres…….players like Korab were brutal for us to play against………..they made adjustments based on the fact that the road to the cup was plowing through these teams. Look whom the finalists were for the winning years of 76 to 79!

• PrimeTime says:

Hired! Let MT know to pack his bags.

58. Habfan17 says:

I have to say that I was very disappointed in the play of too many of the forwards. The bruins got their legs going and were finishing their checks and for the first time the Habs forwards backed down. Not all of course, Gallagher was his usual self. Weise kept hitting. Too many backed off when they knew they were going to get hit and when they had the chance, did not finish their checks. Boston finished them all!

I will stay positive that the Habs will bounce back. I still say that there was no exact eveidence that Murray was a problem, but last night he seemed off and the Bruins targeted him and used his lack of speed against him. He was not alone, both Markov and Emelin struggled and Gorges was not great. Subban and Weaver held their own. Maybe it is time to put in at least Tinordi.

Time for the Habs to prove they have character and resilience! Force game 7!!!
    Habfan17

59. nshab says:

This series changed after game 1. When PK came off the ice after scoring the over time winner, he was pelted with beer and water bottles. Then game 2 they went up 3 to 1 and the fans threw the beer and water bottles at the bench. The players are fearing for their safety more than playing hockey. Not surprise they lost last night and if the Bruins don’t get lucking they will win Monday. Problem they have to go back to Boston wondering, what will happen if they get a lead or win. Where is our media to get the Bruins fan honest. I guess that’s the same media that made light of PK getting water in the face. What did Healy say, a car wash. Where the hell is Molson again allowing the NHL to support this . Where are the refs to stop the game and warn the fans. Tell me how you would concentrate, not knowing what’s coming at your head . Once again where is the Toronto owned Montreal Gazette , not bringing this out.

• Habs_Norway says:

Safety? Beer?
      You put poison in your beer over there?;)
      No need for the referee to intervene, i think.
      But, the rat marchand should get some for tossing Gallaghers helmet. What a discgrace of a man.
      He is the worst in the league, I still wish Subbans haymaker landed when they went for their 3rd bout some years ago, after serving 2min, two times before they went full on. I think Brad would still be sleeping.

______________________________________
      Say no to visors and sign Emelin for 10 years

60. Bozo McBozo says:

Look, if Subban is so outraged by what Thornton did, the solution is easy. Just accidentally on purpose park a puck off his mug as he is sitting on the Bs bench in Game 6. He doesn’t wear a visor and pucks leaving the playing surface is incidental to the game.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

If I was PK, I would “waste a couple“ off Bruins defenders regardless. If they are going to stand if front of his shot, he has to make them scared to do it.

• Bozo McBozo says:

I agree with you, Habs should tenderize a few of the Bs with shots. You can do far more damage with a composite stick and a hockey puck than you’ll ever do with your fists.

• Strummer says:

PK is NOT outraged!
      People don’t seem to get it here.
      Watch the video clip posted on this thread.
      Time to move on.

____________________________________________________
      “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

61. Frozen Village says:

Apparently the code is marketable.

The code or codes; are needed when measures do not exist due lack of preparation and foresight.

Does Bettman seem like a man that is not prepared nor has foresight and calculates the path he foresees as being best for…

No it was not an egregious foul, but it is if you understand the semblance of what organized sport purports to be.

I am not sure hockey knows what it looks like now, numbers are good but…the wonderful spectacle of our sport at times forgets it needs to pay attention to all aspects of the sport and to measure it’s response to antics and masculine proving shenanigans; masculine proving = boy.

PS. I prefer Timo, to the manic posters. Spewing their venom like they were the Josh Georges of the UFC.

Atleast Timo is consistent with his belief that the club du hockey needs to focus a bit more logical decision making, then to too often appease to hockey xeno politics.

PSS. cheers, we will win game 6 when our collective heads crown out of our CH buttocks

More Swedes for the Lions in Winter

• PrimeTime says:

Ya. Habs have been horrible since MB became GM. Can’t imagine anyone doing a worse job. Fans should run the club…. They’re always right!!! MB and MT always suck after every loss, and the 1st star after ever win should be signed long term, at least until he sucks the next game then trade him.

62. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Thorton got fined the maximum amount under the CBA. If PK has a problem with it, he needs to talk to his stupid union. As for the Habs, they need to start working the refs because the Bruins clearly did before the last game.

63. habstrinifan says:

I’s funny reading some posts. Many posters come on the site and regale the drive, the standout play of players on the other teams as theyset the tone for their team in the various series. But on this team, we had one player who had been setting the ‘tone’.. they see that player as ‘trying to do it all’, as ‘too unconventional…too risky’, as ‘needing to be curtailed’.

Unfortunately MT saw that too and did exactly that in game 4,,, which will go down as one of the most incredulously inexplicaable coaching moves of this post season.

We may recover our momentum and win this series. But I agree with Commandant..Therrien dressed and coached players for game 5 based on his fears of a big bad Bruins image and that method was started in game 4 of this series.

It sticks in my craw and based on the players play last night, it is befuddling to the team.

64. Danno says:

The Bruins got a huge break from the incompetent refs last night.

Rask smashing Plecky in the face with his blocker warranted a match suspension

51.3 Match Penalty – If, in the judgment of the Referee, a goalkeeper uses his blocking glove to punch an opponent in the head or face in an attempt to or to deliberately injure an opponent, a match penalty must be assessed.

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to have the play reviewed by the NHL disciplinary committee?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

So did any of the Habs “feared” media asked Pacioretty or Vanek or DD what happened to all these big words before game 5? Or where they talking about someone else?

Habs need to let go of all 3. Get one good player in return and a couple of true grinders (since, according to Therrien Habs are a grinding team). Otherwise it will continue to be more of the same year after year.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

They need a Bickell-type to play with Max and DD and those guys are hard to find. At least they have been consistently drafting bigger players…whoops…LOL.

• PrimeTime says:

Is LOSER tattooed on your forehead?? Not because of your opinions but their timing and repetitiveness. I heard Calgary is very depressing. Take a step back and enjoy the fall.

• D Mex says:

He’s just p!ssed off because, growing up in Calgary, all the other kids got cowboy hats but his mom, Michelle, made him put underwear on his head.

ALWAYS Habs –
        D Mex

66. New says:

Marc Bergevin will always be remembered as the guy who signed PK Subban long term and on July 1st 2014 had the C sewn on his jersey. Or the guy who gave away Collberg and a second.

In the interim I want to see him dance that after game jig at least twice more this week.

67. Ozmodiar says:

Bruins making a mockery of the NHL again.

The fine shows other players that they can do this without much consequence. Just like the groin poke, I wouldn’t be surprised to see this happen again soon.

• Timo says:

They do (although that mockery seems to be sanctioned by the league)… and so since it is the case and it’s not going to change Habs need to have players who can just destroy Thornton the very next shift. No point complaining about the league and the Bruins anymore… it is what it is.

68. hitgurl says:

While the Bruins thumbed their nose at the league and the rules all night the Habs “never quit”. The only question for some of them is did they even start?

PK – awesome.
    A few others – good
    Most – meh
    …. Not the character we are told repeatedly that they have.

69. ooder says:

that monster shift by PK at the end of the game, where he lets go off a few lasers, demanded the puck and scored one.. was one of the most dominant shifts i have ever seen by a single hockey player. What a talent and dominant force, shame the rest of the habs (with a few expceitons) can’t channel his passion and will to win

70. JUST ME says:

It`s part of the game ! Part of their game anyway. Just hover close to the limit with little cheap shots and expect the league to say «now don`t you do that again little boy or i will …»

71. FlyAngler says:

Thornton looks and acts like a miscreant- this obviously was nowhere near the Orpik incident in its maliciousness but is reflective of a dearth of personal character that is characteristic of some of his teammates- see Marchand, Brad, Lucic, Milan or Chara, Zedeno. I hope that this lights a fire under the Habs although I am not confident that it will. You know P K is going to stay pissed regardless of what he might say to the media which is good.

“Gardez la Foi! Keep the Faith!”

72. Danno says:

Primo!

*not*

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

73. Kooch7800 says:

Why bother even for a fine that low… maximum allowed lol what a joke

74. BJ says:

By scoring first and often.

75. joeybarrie says:

we need to come out and score. Play our game and not theirs.
    we have beat them at it consistently this season and we need to now play like its the last games of our season. Because it is.
    we need to hit them and get in their face, get under their skin.
    we came too close this series to let it go. We deserve to move on.
    we just have to play like it.

76. JUST ME says:

registered since may 8th 2014 ! Congratulations champion you have managed to stay 3 full days at school ! Wow impressive !

77. Danno says:

I wouldn’t be using the C-word here, especially on Mothers Day.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

78. Ron says:

Don’t be using it at anytime. Thats a quick way to find yourself gone. Please edit your post..

Edit: Thanks.

79. Mr_MacDougall says:

What did she say, I missed it

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

80. AceMagnum says:

You’re right, a 21 year Stanley Cup drought is nowhere near enough motivation.