NHL fines Bruins’ Thornton for spraying water at Habs’ Subban

The NHL announced on Sunday that it has fined Boston forward Shawn Thornton $2,820.52 for unsportsmanlike conduct after he squirted water from the Bruins bench at Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban late during Game 5 Saturday night.

The fine – a half day’s pay – is the maximum allowed under the NHL’s collective bargaining agreement. No penalty was called on the play during the game, which the Bruins won 4-2 to take a 3-2 lead in the series. The Canadiens will be facing elimination in Game 6 Monday night at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

“I don’t know if it was (Thornton), but someone had squirted water twice at the end of the game in my visor and I couldn’t even see for a minute and a half,” Subban told reporters in Boston after Saturday’s game. “I was pretty upset about that, but that is part of the game.

“I don’t know if it is part of the game,” he added, correcting himself. “I am sure if that was me (who) did it, it would be a different story. It would probably be on the news for the next three days. I don’t expect that to be a story but listen, whatever it takes to win.”

Subban added: “I don’t want to take away anything from their team. They played well today, they executed. We have to be better. Now it’s do or die for us going back home. We have played well in our barn all year and in this playoffs so we have to execute.”

Thornton told reporters in Boston on Sunday: “I’ll pay the fine. I obviously agree with what the league did there. I’ll pay the fine and move on.

“I’m sorry that the silly incident kind of overshadowed how my teammates played and the great win and how good the series has been. I think that there’s definitely more important things we can be focusing on. I got caught up in the moment and I probably shouldn’t have done that. I’ll move on, get ready for Game 6 and hopefully have a good showing.”

Canadiens captain Brian Gionta told reporters in Brossard Sunday that he thought the NHL’s punishment of Thornton was enough.

“I still haven’t seen what happened,” Gionta said. “But from what I’ve read or whatever I’ve heard, it seems fair enough.

“I’ve seen worse. I guess what they’re trying to do is get guys off their game.”

After the Game 5 loss, Canadiens defenceman Josh Gorges told reporters in Boston that the Habs “had to step up and get the job done” Saturday night, but didn’t do it.

“We didn’t quit,” he added. “We kept pushing, we kept battling. There’s no quit in this team and we know what the stakes are now and we’ll go home and make sure we’re ready for Game 6.”

The Canadiens held an optional practice at 12:30 p.m. Sunday in Brossard. Alex Galchenyuk, sidelined with a lower-body injury, skated by himself Sunday morning.

Thirteen players took part in the practice: forwards Daniel Briere, Travis Moen, Ryan White, Brandon Prust, Michael Bournival and George Parros; defencemen Douglas Murray, Nathan Beaulieu, Mike Weaver, Francis Bouillon and Jarred Tinordi; and goaltenders Carey Price and Peter Budaj.

Speaking with the media on Sunday, Canadiens coach Michel Therrien said: “This group has faced adversity all season long. They’ve always responded well. We’re aware of the challenge in front of us.” -

(Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

(Video by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs)

Game 6 Preview, NHL.com

Bruins’ Thornton fined, NHL.com

Habs remain confident while facing elimination in Game 6, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Watergate II takes on life of its own, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Habs-Bruins rivalry will only get worse, by Jack Todd for The Gazette

Canadiens know what they’re up against in Game 6, NHL.com

Challenge accepted, canadiens.com

Bruins put Canadiens on brink of elimination, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Habs had to step up, but didn’t do it, by Pat Hickey

Canadiens now desperate, NHL.com

Return flight for Habs, canadiens.com

Bruins take series lead, bostonbruins.com

On to Game 6 for Bruins (video), bostonbruins.com

Bruins expect desperate Canadiens in Game 6, Boston Globe

‘I got caught up in the moment,’ Bruins’ Thornton says, Boston Globe

1. HUDSONHAB says:

Thoughts I’ve been having for while are that we need a third offensive defence man in the line up. Georges isn’t cutting it on the back half of the PP.
    Anyone know of one…. Oh ya Beaulieu.

2. twilighthours says:

New thread, folks.

3. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

The most annoying thing to come out of this Shawn Thornton “Watergate II” thing is to discover that a talentless meathead hack like Shawn Thornton makes $5641.04 per day.

X X X X X X 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

4. shiram says:

Habs figure they need a better chance on the PP so they insert Beaulieu, he replaces Gorges on the second wave, and the team is all the more threatening.

Sure Beaulieu hasn’t played in a while, but he’s young and should be psyched to be playing such an important game.

There were rumblings the team had issues with Beaulieu’s attitude, but if he plays tonight that’s a great sign of trust.

5. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

I wouldn’t mind seeing Beaulieu in, but it’ll mean nothing if our first line can’t get out of their fog.

X X X X X X 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

6. shiram says:

Have to say I’m feeling serene concerning the Habs and the crucial game to be played tonight.

Habs have had a great season, with it’s ups and downs, some great stories, adveristy and it’s share of controversy.

Before the season, most pegged the Habs as a team that would battle for the playoffs, the over achieved there.

Most thought the Bolts would be a tough series, go to a game 7 etc… they over achieved there.

And now Boston, the old rival, the Habs have played them well enough to make for a great series.

The Habs certainly can win the next 2 games, and I’m happy to see we might get some slight line changes.

7. Commandant says:

Beaulieu left the morning skate with the players in the regular lineup… is not taking extra time with the black aces and healthy scratches.

Could it be? Could we be Dressing Beaulieu tonight?

My article pre game 5 on why this is the right move.

8. twilighthours says:

MT is getting desperate if Beaulieu is going in. Like CJ and others, I think he should have been played a lot more all year. Throwing him in now is a serious crap shoot.

I never saw the reason to put Murray in over Cube to begin with. Ah well.

I’ll be cheering no matter what tonight, and I believe it’s going to seven games.

Luke, if youre still around: I ran my first ultra on the weekend. 50km on the trails around St Margaret’s Bay here in NS. My legs feel surprisingly good.

• montrealtilldeath says:

Your getting pushed around and out hit and the response is Beaulieu? Panic it is.

• Strummer says:

Murray skates like he’s wearing snowshoes.
        Puck is in his end for his entire shift after shift.
        Can’t generate any offense when he’s on the ice.
        Beaulieu is the right move.

____________________________________________________
        “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• twilighthours says:

It feels like panic, but not for that reason. Habs already tried the “insert big tough dudes” trick and that didn’t go so hot.

In theory, I love the move-the-puck-quickly-don’t-get-hit philosophy and using Beaulieu hopefully helps.

But it’s panic because he is so green, so untested.

Why wasn’t he used more down the stretch to get him ready?

• Commandant says:

You can’t out-tough Boston… not gonna happen.

You can outskate Boston…. so do that… they can’t hit what they can’t catch.

• frontenac1 says:

I like Murray but I’m ok with giving the Nate a shot. The Kid is not a pushover. He’s got an edge. Gotta Roll the dice sometime amigos.

• habsguru says:

Hey Twi, didn’t know you were in the 902. gotta love the blend of Habs and bruins fans here eh? Habs win, or no more Xmas trees for them!

50km you are crazy

• Luke says:

Thats awesome Twi.

Congrats! 50km is just unimaginable to me!
      Amazing job. Happy with the results? (obviously you are happy with the legs!)

• arcosenate says:

What was the temp on Saturday?

9. careysubban3176 says:

Go with same lineup that swept Tampa. That fourth line was awsome

10. DipsyDoodler says:

White, Wesie, Bournival. That was a good 4th line.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

11. habsguru says:

not many posts on game day here…

nerves????

12. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Dreger saying he thinks Beaulieau might draw in.

Awfully tough situation to put a rookie in to! I think he should have been playing for the last month or so of the season with the big club, but to bring him in now is a tough situation.

13. Maritime Ronn says:

@DarrenDreger: Looks like lineup changes for Habs.
    Could see Beaulieu for Murray and Briere for Moen.
    Nothing official…just sense from skate and room

• habs-fan-84 says:

Exciting.
      Yet, I will never understand Beulieu being sent down (to Hamilton) during the Olympic break. He was just starting to look comfortable. By now, he could’ve really made a difference.

• Hobie says:

Beaulieu should have probably been there from game 1 of the playoffs. Not so sure how smart it is to put him in there now when he’s ice cold…

• Le Jadester says:

WOW !
      If I’m nervous about tonight !
      What about young Nate ?
      Talk about being thrown into the fire ?
      I wish MT would tried this in Game 5 at least ?
      I hope he does well…cause I like him and think he’s good and gonna be great !

Habs, OLE !

• Forum Dog says:

I think Beaulieu is capable of being a “big-game” player, so I’m not overly concerned if he slots in. Briere should also get back in, but I don’t know about keeping Prust in the lineup over Moen.

Could all amount to nothing, but we know Therrien likes to tinker. I mean, he took Vanek off the Pacioretty-DD line about two shifts into this series….

14. DipsyDoodler says:

The “Can’t win with DD” argument is tendentious.

DD earns $3.5M/year. In a cap system you have to evaluate each player according to their salary.

The mythical #1 centre we don’t have isn’t earning $3.5M/yr. Brad Richards FYI earned $12M this season. You can’t honestly compare DD to Carter, Getzlaf, Toews.

So why is DD called our #1 centre? Time on ice? Nope. Salary? Nope.

He starts on the powerplay? Only because the coach thinks that is his best option, which is not unreasonable.

DD actually started off the year as our 3rd line centre in terms of time on ice. He worked his way up to being our most offensive centre because of his play.

Why is the argument tendentious? Why isn’t anyone asking whether you can win with Gallagher, or Plekanec, or Gorges?

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• arcosenate says:

Because DD isn’t producing with what happen to be the team’s two best wingers. The line has generated few to no chances and that would fall on the centreman who should be able to set these guys up.

I like DD but he’s not getting it done.

• Shackles says:

He’s the flavour of the week. Check the Hab-bashing schedule – Next week, Patches gets raked over the coals.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Sorry , but your time on ice is incorrect.

These playoffs:
      Even Strength: 51 and Plex are just about even.
      Power Play: 51 has 26:43 of mostly preferred 1st Unit PP time while Plex has had 19:56 of mostly 2nd Unit PP time.

During the season, the numbers were basically the same.
      Even though 51 played 2 less games than Plex, his PP time was 212 minutes while Plex was at 157.

Production does not come from the PK where Plex plays and 51 does not.

Regardless of what a center earns, if he is given supreme playoff minutes and can’t produce with the best wingers for now 2 years in a row, 1 of 2 things is wrong:

!) He is not suited for “Playoff” 1st line center minutes.
      2) The coach is making wrong decisions.

• shiram says:

It’s not about winning with DD, it’s about being able to win with DD as the #1 centre for offensive production.

• Cal says:

Sorry, he’s got to be evaluated by his TOI, not by his Cap hit.
      He’s second only to Pleks by an average of 90secs per game during these playoffs. In fact, his Average TOI since the regular season has increased by almost 2 minutes.
      Brière, at almost half DD’s Average Ice Time this playoff year, has 1 more point.
      This performance, for a #2 center with 1st wave PP time, isn’t good enough even if he is cheap compared to a Toews or Crosby.

• Ozmodiar says:

It’s not about the money. The problem is that he gets to play with the team’s top 2 wingers, gets a lion’s share of the offensive zone starts, and 1st PP minutes.

The team needs a true #1 center who can play a full 200 foot game and not be shutdown so easily. Someone with a bit of size, speed, and a good shot.

What does it tell you about the #1 C when there’s a defensive zone draw, and White or Pleks has to take the draw between Max and Gally/Vanek?

Edit: also, DD started on 1st line, eventually demoted to 3rd line, then regained the job by scoring on a shootout attempt.

• Mick says:

True.
      But he still is to small.
      It is MT and Berg. fault.

• Forum Dog says:

I would ask it about Plekanec. Maybe not Gorges, and definitely not Gallagher, because the effort and compete level is always high. DD may always try hard, but it’s tough to be sure because he loses almost every single battle.

That said, I’d like them to win with all those guys. Especially tonight.

GO HABS!

15. montrealtilldeath says:

Finish our checks hard and forecheck intensely as we did earlier in the series and we will win. Very simple formula. Let Ryan White play his game. If he gets a penalty for boarding Chara or Lucic don’t bench him. Give him a pat on the back instead. I forgot to add skate skate. I noticed in game 4 the Bruins were tired in the 3rd when we turned it up. The early OT fluke goal was a blessing for them as if the OT went on longer they would have been gassed and the Habs I am certain would have won

16. Habs_Norway says:

I think we should go with mister Ryan White today
    Moen White Weise
    Maybe even bring up Pateryn or thats maybe too late now?

______________________________________
    Say no to visors and sign Emelin for 10 years

17. Sportfan says:

I hope we can bring it to game 7 or this series will become the what if series, what if we won game 2 and 4 -_- Also can someone explain why we sat Briere….

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

18. Sportfan says:

I’m tired of these sack taps in the playoffs start fining these morons

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

19. Strummer says:

Bickell scored again last night.
    What a pick by the Hawks.

I salute any team that “Picks Bickell”

____________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• CH Marshall says:

That guy just keeps making that extrabit of space for Toews and Kane especially. Mofo loves going to the net.Could teach Patch a lesson.

20. Maritime Ronn says:

Let’s go Habs and break this drought.

” Montreal has not scored an even-strength goal on Rask since 13:52 of the second period of Game 3, a drought of 147:27 that will stretch into Game 6…”

21. Marc10 says:

Play Nate. We need a spark.

22. CJ says:

Interesting development from the morning skate….

Murray and Frankie both stayed late to do extra work, along with Parros, White, Tinordi and Moen.

It could be nothing, but might this mean that Nate is going to play?

23. Strummer says:

If Habs lose tonight:

____________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

24. Marc10 says:

So I was going to bring this up post elimination (and hopefully in a couple of weeks), but seeing as some of the more reasonable posters are around…

QUESTION

1) Is Patches of a guy for the regular season or is it too early to tell?

2) If you could orchestrate a swap for Evander Kane (knowing his rumoured off ice issues), would you do it?

3) Would we win that trade off, or just kill off one of our meal tickets to get us to the show?

4) Finally, what might that trade look like if you try to land Big Buf too (knowing his off ice conditioning is pretty bad)?

25. Habitforming says:

So I was bored and rolling around on facebook and came across this tidbit from a Leaf fan.

“Its going to be close tonight. Finishing off an opponent is the hardest game of a series.

Poor Subban. Did he get water in his eyes? Is that why he’s a -1 in the series and Chara is +6 ?

The Magic-man Subban…. Hahahahaha A skating fool on ice…Skate Subban! Skate round and round and round…Do your magic twirls ….Hahahahaha…
    What a doorknob

Next stop— Stars On Ice ….”

Has it come to the point now where Leaf fans only exist to mock “rival” teams because they have nothing to cheer for year in and year out?

My question to the posters here, Is the Thornton watergate enough for this team to rally behind and eliminate Boston in 7, or was something more dastardly needed?

• Cal says:

Have pity on them, for they follow the way of the leaf. They and their thoughts are scattered hither and yon by the wind and anything Burke says.

26. Paz says:

Desharnais, this regular season

against NON playoff teams,
    43 games played, 13 goals, 23 assists, 36 points

Against playoff teams
    36 games played, 3 goals, 13 assists, 16 points

• FlyAngler says:

Important stats Paz, but stats that MT is likely to ignore. Would love to see Eller with either Vanek & Bourque or Vanek and Pacioretty but doubt very much that it will happen.

“Gardez la Foi! Keep the Faith!”

• DipsyDoodler says:

I’m going to guess that every player does better against non-playoff teams.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• Luke says:

That would be a reasonable assumption.

Quick look:
        Crosby had 42 points in 32 games vs the bottom 11 teams in the NHL (Win% .537 or less) – 1.31ppg.
        The middle 9 (.597 w% to .537 w%) – 37points in 29 games 1.27ppg.
        The top 9 (w% greater than .600) – 25 points in 20 games – 1.25ppg.

While the varience isn’t enormous, it is there. The best player in the league suffers a drop off. He was also a minus vs the top teams and a plus vs the rest.

So I suppose the take away from this experiment is that the best teams in the league are better than the worst teams.

27. habsguru says:

have the refs been named for tonight yet?

• FlyAngler says:

It should be O’Halloran & Sutherland as we have seen every duo except them. Obviously, O’Halloran is a veteran who knows how to keep a game under control, but I do not believe him to have as strict a standard as Furlatt or McCauley.

“Gardez la Foi! Keep the Faith!”

28. CalgaryHab says:

For MT, this is a statement game for him more than it is for anyone else. He has to prove to himself that HE can coach in these elimination games without getting his arse handed to him. (8-2 to Carolina in ’02 and 6-1 last year to the Sens). Regardless of his short comings, questionable lines/game rosters and player development – he’s the one that got us here and I have to support him. However, I’m firmly in the camp that the habs success this year is in spite of MT and not because of him.
    Come on MT – prove it to yourself if anything!!

29. Marc10 says:

Good point by Chris. Bergie took the Bruins to the Stanley Cup final last year and shut down Crosby along the way. It wasn’t until he was near death with a punctured lung that his game started to trail off (the nerve of that French surrender guy, eh). Got them to game 6 and that wonderful last minute collapse against the Hawks…

So yeah, he’s winning his match ups most games… Should we be really surprised? Still, Les Boys just need to ambush him with a spear gun when he’s skating by the bench (fine be damned) and we’re right back in it.

Seriously… Go Habs Go!

• CJ says:

There is only one Bergeron and one Chara. Somebody on the Canadiens roster needs to step up and exploit a match up.

It’s like a big nose tackle in football. If he’s occupying two blockers, somebody else on the defensive lines needs to rush the quarterback and apply pressure. If Bergeron is neutralizing the top line, Pleks, Gionta and others on the second and third line need to step up. The only forwards I saw who appeared dangerous last game were our fourth line.

• Chris says:

Bergeron is the best shutdown centre in the NHL, and quite possibly the best playoff performer in the league.

Until his collection of injuries really slowed him down, he had also been stifling Jonathan Toews, another top-5 centre and reknown playoff performer.

Bergeron is the guy that kills you when you play the Bruins. He is almost always matched up against your top line, and he kills their offence without giving up any of his own. I said before this series that it was going to come down to the Bergeron line vs. the Plekanec line, and so far it has been a rout.

Bergeron – 5 GP, 2 G, 4 PTS, +4
      Marchand – 5 GP, 0 G, 5 PTS, +6
      Smith – 5 PG, 3 G, 3 PTS, +5

That line is yet again torching the Habs. I don’t know how you shut them down completely, but the Habs better find a way or we will have to endure the end of the season tonight.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Toews >>>>>>>>>> Bergeron
        Kopitar >>>>>>>>>> Bergeron

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Chris says:

I think Bergeron would enjoy playing between Marian Gaborik and Dustin Brown.

I think Bergeron and Marian Hossa would be downright terrifying. Is there a more underrated two-way threat in the NHL than Marian Hossa or Patrick Sharp? Hossa is a horse: he can skate, he can hit, he is a phenomenal defensive player, and he is a phenomenal offensive player. And his teams always seem to win.

I’m not expecting any agreement here, but Marian Hossa may very well be the best player on that roster, yet he is treated like a role player behind Toews, Kane, and Keith. That is some role player. :)

• Maritime Ronn says:

1a-Toews
          1b-Bergeron
          2-Kopitar

30. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

Habs are in the 2nd year of a minimum 5 year plan.
    Problem is they tease us too much.

• third generation haber says:

Wow! That was very brief, but summed-up my thoughts exactly. It takes me about 5 paragraphs to express what u just said.

“Brevity is the soul of wit”
      Shakespeare

j.p. murray

• DipsyDoodler says:

Problem is all the good things about this team come from the previous 5 year plan.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• Luke says:

Change is an incremental thing.

We’ve seen a big step. It’s been a rather impressive one, and prehaps the largest step they needed to take, but there is still more to come.

I’m not sure in what form, but they team needs to sort out the centre position, eliminate some of the redundancies and find players that are more well rounded, less one-dimensional.

It’ll be interesting to see what this team lloks like in 3 years.
      Especially, since I suspect, Beaulieu & Tinordi will be full time, Crisp will have replaced White and McCarron will have replaced Gionta (or whoever was his replacement).

31. ont fan says:

I am surprised how few people bring up Galchenyuk. Being the next everything, he has become the forgotten man.

• Luke says:

He’s injured. Hence the silence.
      I certainly wish he was playing, but aside from saying:

“Golly, when is Galchenyuk returning?”

Not really much to discuss.

Hopefully he’s ready for round three and to be the #1 centre to start the next season.

32. WVHabsfan says:

@ Riverview. I agree 100 percent. I don’t think Mike T will agree with us though.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Nope.

XX|XX|XX|XX|XX|XX|10|9|8|7|6|5|4|3|2|1

==============================================
      Folks, it’s Playoffs time, and that’ll keep ya on yer seats!
      ==============================================

33. Maritime Ronn says:

Seems like there’s a lot of heat and anger directed towards Pacioretty and Vanek, yet there is a very different way to look at this.

EX: How are the # 1 Centers doing on other 8 remaining teams that play top minutes and top Power Play Minutes?

It takes 3 to make a line.

Kopitar:………4G 11A. 6’2″-224
    Toews:……….5G 5A. 6’2″-208
    Malkin:………..6G 7A. 6’3″-195
    Crosby:……….1G 8A. 5’11″-200
    Gezlaf:………..4G 9A. 6’4″-221
    Bergeron:……3G 6A. 6’2″-194
    B. Richards:…3G 5A. 6’0″-197
    Stepan:………2G 3A. 6’0″-196
    Mikko Koivu:.1G 6A. 6’3″-222
    Jeff Carter:….3G 5A. 6’4″-212

Desharnais: 1G 2A. 5’7″-170
    Eller:…………3G 5A. 6’2″-215.

It’s time for the falabella to get involved and show what he can do…in the playoffs

• third generation haber says:

It blows my mind that so many fans still can’t see that soft players are useless in the playoffs.

If DD’s contract didn’t need to be justified, Eller would get the chance he deserves to center Max and Vanek. Why can’t White get some ice-time. DD is totally invisible! Likewise, Diaz has only played 2 games in this playoffs.

I don’t care what the arrogant jerk-offs at EOTP say, tough teams win cups! We need toughness in our top 6!

j.p. murray

• ont fan says:

Kind of blows my mind you single out DD as soft in the playoffs and yet, in the same sentence, you let the other 2 off the hook.

• third generation haber says:

I assume u mean Vanek and Max- fair point. I believe Max is playing injured, he’s just not himself. As for Vanek, I expected very little from a guy who clearly doesn’t want to get hurt b4 signing his new contract. I’d be totally fine if he were a healthy scratch.

j.p. murray

• Mick says:

Correct! DD falls down and gets up. Heart of a lion?

• CJ says:

I don’t know what ever happened to Eddie who used to post here, but he and I discussed this point, in great length, three months ago. Eddie knows hockey, and has probably forgotten more about the game than I’ll ever know. We both agreed that DD, as our number 1, would not work in the playoffs when the game is officiated differently.

I’ll go one step further, if the goal is the Stanley Cup, one of either Pleks or DD will need to be traded this offseason. I say this regardless of whether we win or lose this evening.

Going forward, we need Chucky as our 1, either DD or Pleks as 2 and Eller as three. I’d have White as our number 4. Personally, and I know I might be in the minority, but I can’t for the life of me understand why White isn’t playing. Our best fourth line this year had him centring Weise and Bournival. We roll out Prust, who’s at 70% over White? Makes no sense.

Just my two cents….

• Paz says:

I’m Eddy. You know the game at least as well as I do, CJ.

The last 5’7 centreman to lead his team to a Stanley Cup was…….???…

• Strummer says:

Pocket Rocket?

____________________________________________________
          “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• Paz says:

Nope. Beliveau was the number one scoring center.

• Strummer says:

When you say lead you’re being literal as in Moses?
            Lead?- Pocket did no leading in ’73?

Trick question.

____________________________________________________
            “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• Cal says:

DD needs to go. Against top 10 teams, he simply is too easy to counter. As a #3 center with 12 to 15 minutes a game, he might work out. With top PP minutes? Nope.
        Send him and Patches to the Jets for Kane and watch heads explode here on HIO.

• third generation haber says:

Part of the problem is that we haven’t had much development in the way of Quebecois forwards in recent years, so DD has filled a void. Calm down people! I support greater Quebecois representation on the team.

Bournival, and I hope Leblanc will take the torch going forward.

j.p. murray

• third generation haber says:

DD flanked by a couple of tough, north-south wingers, would be a very effective 3rd line center.

j.p. murray

• boing007 says:

No DD. Period.

Richard R

• Maritime Ronn says:

CJ

Numbers compiled during 3 different playoff years for 51.

Career Playoff GP: 19. Goals:1. Assists:4.

2 of those years (last year and this year) showed average ToI of 17:14 and 19:14.

In the past 2 years combined, 51 has played 39:13 of preferred Power Play time usually on the 1st Unit.
        That PP time ranks #1 for all Habs centers.

• DipsyDoodler says:

It’s unfair to compare DD to these guys – they are all earning over twice what he earns, and are almost all first round draft picks.

DD’s true comparable is a guy like Carl Soderberg. A 3rd line offensively capable centre.

At $3.5M DD is a very good deal.

You can’t really be comparing him to players who earn $8-12M this year.

Our #1 centre in any case is Plekanec, by any definition.
      —–
      Moving. Forward.

• Paz says:

But we play Desharnais as the #1 scoring center, that’s the point.

• Forum Dog says:

Plekanec is not a very good #1 centre, especially if the goal of a #1 centre is to create offense. He lacks imagination and is not a particularly good puckhandler. Plus he plays like a pussycat half the time.

A nice complimentary player, sure. But by no means a #1, even if he is paid like one.

WRT Desharnais – It has been obvious throughout the season that, as Pacioretty goes, so goes DD. When Pacioretty is playing hot, DD compliments him well. But when Pacioretty disengages, DD produces next to nothing. At $3.5M he may be a “bargain”, but right now – when it matters most – that line is not earning their paycheques.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I think the absence of a number 1 centre is the biggest hole on this team, and the only one that I’d go outside the organization to fill.

I’m still, and have always been a big Joe Thornton fan (with the exception of when Steve Begin has many stitches on his upper lip and Joe face washes him! hated that.. My first Bell Center game a fan had a sign “Let the games Begin” haha)

I’d love to see how big Joe would play against the b’s in a Habs uni!

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• CJ says:

Agreed. We need a number one centre. Chucky will (I hope) get the chance to audition for this role next season.

• Chris says:

I have liked Thornton as well, but he doesn’t have much left in the tank. He’s not a guy I’d like to see them pick up, as the slide is going to be precipitous. Thornton is a power forward that turns 35 years old this summer.

His speed is dropping off quickly, and he’s not the horse that he once was.

Were it not for injuries, I would give Jason Spezza a shot before Thornton. Spezza is currently being shopped by the Senators, and he’s a point-per-game centre with size. He also doesn’t do badly at all against the Bruins: 7 goals and 20 points in 23 GP over the past 5 seasons. With 17 goals and 52 points in 56 career playoff games, he’s also not a guy that disappears in the playoffs, historically.

Spezza is unfairly maligned, but his injury history would make him too risky for Bergevin.

• CJ says:

Spezza can’t handle the pressure in Ottawa, which is likely as hockey centric a market as Columbus, Nashville or Carolina.

• Chris says:

Any Canadian market is orders of magnitude larger in terms of pressure than anything in the US, save perhaps the Rangers and maybe the Flyers.

As mentioned, I think Spezza does fine. I think he takes a lot of undeserved heat from people. The playoffs are brutal on top-line players: Crosby, Toews, Giroux, the Sedins, Thornton, Lecavalier…all have endured brutal slumps and amazing runs. Spezza is no different.

For some reason, Spezza is one of those guys that wears the goat horns on behalf of his team even when it is pretty hard to place the blame on his shoulders. He and Thornton are very similar in that regard.

• frontenac1 says:

My buddy”s son played with him in the O. Said he was an Ahole in the room. Heard he still is. No thanks.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Spezza between Vanek and Patch… Wow!

I still prefer Thornton, he was amazing against LA this year. SJ is my favourite western team to watch, so I am a little biased.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Chris says:

Front: You can say that about a ton of NHL’ers, especially the big stars. It is what got Carter and Richards traded, it is increasingly sticking to the Staal brothers, Lindros was famous for it… Corey Perry is detested. P.K. Subban was not universally loved in his dressing room in the OHL, judging from some conversations I had with their scratched players during the Memorial Cup games. Erik Gudbranson was a complete idiot in Kingston, according an acquaintance that played for that team.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I heard the Staal brothers turned Carolina into a country club… Uncoachable rec team attitude.. Still great guys, but like to have fun with the game.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• frontenac1 says:

The only guys I recall saying that about is Phaneuf and Cammelleri.but then again my memory is pretty weird these days. I would rather not have any of them on my team.

• Chris says:

If we’re being fair about it, David Krejci is the #1 centre on the Bruins, as he is the pivot on the top line with Milan Lucic and Jarome Iginla. Krejci has 3 assists in his 10 playoff games.

Desharnais has not been producing, but that isn’t particularly uncommon in the playoffs, as each team generally focuses its efforts on shutting down the other teams #1 line, and it is up to the secondary scorers to pick up the slack.

As it happens, Boston is also the best in the league at shutting down other teams’ top lines, using a steady diet of Zdeno Chara and Patrice Bergeron, two of the best defensive players in the league, to do it.

Look at the performance of the top line centres against the Bruins in last year’s playoffs:

Jonathan Toews: 6 GP, 2 G, 5 PTS (shutout in first 3 games)
      Sidney Crosby: 4 GP, 0 G, 0 PTS
      Derek Stepan: 5 GP, 1 G, 3 PTS
      Tyler Bozak: 5 GP, 1 G, 2 PTS

If you go back further, Bergeron and Chara have been instrumental in shutting down many of the league’s top lines:

2011-12: Nicklas Backstrom – 7 GP, 1 G, 3 PTS
      2010-11: Henrik Sedin – 7 GP, 1 G, 1 PTS
      2010-11: Vincent Lecavalier – 7 GP, 1 G, 7 PTS (4 in one game)
      2010-11: Claude Giroux – 4 GP, 0 G, 3 PTS
      2010-11: Tomas Plekanec – 7 GP, 2 G, 5 PTS

I agree that Desharnais has to get going if the Habs have any chance. But I also have to give full credit to the Bruins, who are masterful at shutting down the scoring line of their opposition. They do whatever it takes to win, and they get more than a little leeway from the officials to do it.

With all three of Vanek, Pacioretty and Desharnais struggling, that line is pretty much sunk when trying to get it going against the likes of Bergeron.

• CJ says:

I like DD Chris, and said below that I’d be open to either him or Pleks as our number 2 going forward – but not both. If we had a true number 1, DD would find desirable match ups as our number 2. It’s the biggest hole within our organization. Fortunately, the solution might be wearing 27. We just need to give him the opportunity.

• Chris says:

We’ll see. If you throw Galchenyuk in as a centre, you are going to have to endure a couple of years of him learning on the job, with all the blown coverage and slumps and mistakes that go along with that.

Galchenyuk hasn’t played centre for going on 3 seasons now. He’s never played it for any length of time at the professional level. He has improved, but his defensive reads and coverage is still below average at the NHL level. Putting him with a similarly weak defensive player like Pacioretty is asking for trouble unless they keep Gionta to babysit that line.

• CJ says:

You might be right. We may never know. We aren’t in a rush with our prospects, so the transition might not take place for another 3-5 years.

I will say this, we aren’t going to win with DD or Pleks as our number one. Sorry. Unpopular, but true.

Lastly, for as much credit as Gionta gets defensively, his failure to pick up the high man has resulted in goals against this series, as has Pleks failure to react to a lost face off. Both need to be much, much better.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Plex is a great #2.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Plek is a championship calibre #2 IMO

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Chris says:

I agree regarding Plekanec and Desharnais. Unfortunately, one of the current three centres needs to be traded to either open up ice for Galchenyuk or make room for a new #1 should they keep Galchenyuk on the wing.

Like Ron, I think Plekanec is a very good #2 centre. Unfortunately, he’s also the only guy of the three that presently carries significant trade value. If you’re looking to get better as a team, Plekanec might be the only option as a trade asset, as painful as that is to say.

• CJ says:

I agree that Pleks can be our number 2. My point is essentially you can’t win carrying both.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Chris, Patch is a pretty good bargaining chip..l

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

34. RiverviewCanadien says:

Game Day!

Gotta love game day when the Habs are up against elimination. It’s what playoff hockey is all about. Especially when it involves the greatest rivalry in hockey.

I expect a big game.

I also hope for the following:
    Pacioretty-Briere-Vanek
    Bournival-Plekanec-Gallagher
    Bourque-Eller-Gionta
    Moen-White-Weise

Gorges-Subban
    Markov-Emelin
    Tinordi/Beaulieu-Weaver

I don’t think the coach has the cajones to sit Max’s greatest centerman though…but you have to think that Bergevin picked up Danny B for this exact game! Will Murray sit and have one of the young guns come in and show ‘em what they got?

GO HABS GO!

XX|XX|XX|XX|XX|XX|10|9|8|7|6|5|4|3|2|1

==============================================
    Folks, it’s Playoffs time, and that’ll keep ya on yer seats!
    ==============================================

• Forum Dog says:

I’ve actually wondered about giving Tinordi a chance, but it might be too much of a gamble in a do-or-die game. While I don’t think Murray has been the problem for MTL, he hasn’t necessarily helped as much as (I) hoped.

Briere needs to get back in. Prust has played so ineffectively I’d be surprised to see him back out there. And I’m not sure I see the value in adding White when he hasn’t played in such a long time.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

With the way the team is struggling for goals, I think Beaulieu should draw in over Tinordi, the offence he can provide combined with the speed he brings could be a game changer. Weaver is pretty solid so I think they could balance each other.

Prust should be on the shelf until next year. Briere has to play…this has been his bread and butter, but he needs to be in a position to succeed. Playing top line minutes would be just what the doctor ordered. And really could that line be any worse than what it is?

As far as White goes, he brings energy and physicality, kills penalties and wins faceoffs.

XX|XX|XX|XX|XX|XX|10|9|8|7|6|5|4|3|2|1

==============================================
        Folks, it’s Playoffs time, and that’ll keep ya on yer seats!
        ==============================================

35. arcosenate says:

Still pissed off at the Habs for playing into the Bruins hands on Saturday. Especially Plekanec for getting frustrated like that.

We imagined the Habs frustrating the Bruins before this series started.

Tonight I really hope to see these guys come out flying and play their game, not the Bruins’ game.

Really want a chance to go to Boston to win this thing…

36. twilighthours says:

Luke, you around?

37. Paz says:

The Habs would be better if……..

1) one of young dmen, either Tinordi or Beaulieu , was ready to play on the 3rd pairing, and Beaulieu would certainly help the power play as well

2) Prust was not injured and played like the Prust we saw in his first season

3) Desharnais was able to control the puck and create offence in the playoffs, the way he did during the regular season

4) Therrien was not making so many personnel mistakes

• Mr_MacDougall says:

1) first pairing, not 3rd.

2) absolutely, also Galchenyuk.

3) nope. A new #1 center.. Joe Thornton might be available.

4) MT is fine, if you don’t have the horses…. Would JM be doing better?

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• CJ says:

I’ve laboured the point regarding Nate and Tiny to a nauseating degree. It has caught up to us now, as many of us predicted it would. Ideally Beaulieu would have taken steps forward (as he had been preceding the Olympic break) and would now be on the top pairing with PK playing 25:00-28:00 minutes a game. Gorges would be with Weaver or Tinordi on the 5/6.

I repeat, we need offense. We haven’t scored at even strength since game three. Sure, Beaulieu will likely make mistakes, but maybe he also delivers an offensive punch.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I think Gorges is part of the problem.. He should not be on a top pair, he creates zero offence.. PK deserves better. All top 5 on 5 teams have their top two D playing together, this dates back decades… Allows a team to have their best 5 man unit out on even strength, something the Habs never have.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Cal says:

Beaulieu with PK would lead to 5 on 0s. Can you imagine all 5 Habs caught behind the goal line? With that pair on D, I am sure we’d see it a few times.
        Offense must be paired with defense.
        What the future D. may look like in a couple years. I have not re-signed Markov.:
        Tinordi-PK
        Beaulieu- Gorges
        Emelin-Pateryn

#7 will have to be a depth signing.

• CJ says:

The best players can do both. Look at Hamilton and Krug. It’s too late for this season, but does anyone remember the night Nate was called up in January? Against the Leafs in Toronto? He started on the 5/6 with Frankie, but moved up to the first pairing with PK. Despite the loss he finished plus 1 with one assist. I thought, yes, finally here we go! Than, unbelievably they are broken up to start the next game and never paired together again.

• Paz says:

Yes. I have agreed with you all year on this point.

• ont fan says:

We need scoring and all I hear on this site is our defense should have been the young guys. Lets be serious, it’s not our defense that’s letting us down.

• Paz says:

The transition game starts with dmen who can move the puck quickly.

• ont fan says:

Once you gain the oppositions zone, there has to be some pressure from your forwards. Skating around the perimeter gets you nothing, except opposition transition.

• CJ says:

Exactly! This is such a great point. Last game we got zero second chance opportunities, because Boston’s defence grabbed the puck following our shoot in, passed or skated it out of the zone and neutralized our attack.

I pointed out to my wife two occasions in the third period where 30 seconds elapsed with our top line not touching the puck in the offensive zone. The only line able to cycle the puck was our fourth unit.

• Cal says:

2. Prust makes a big difference when he is healthy. He’s got to get those shoulders fixed for October or later, but get them fixed. Otherwise, he might as well be on LTIR.

38. JohnBellyful says:

You know, as much as it pains me to say this, but I’d be willing to put up with two weeks of prattle about how terrible the Gomez-McDonagh trade was for Montreal if the Canadiens and the Rangers were to meet in the conference final.
    Yep, I’d do that just to see the team make the next round.

The only way Habs are winning tonight is if Bruins decide not to show up and play like they did in first 3 games of the series. If Bruins bring their A game Habs are done before the first period is over.

• Cal says:

Positively salivating at the prospect, eh? Same old Timo.

• bandaide says:

If the Habs play like last game yes done if they ALL bring heart and desire it may not matter if the bruins bring A game do you mean their best or A-holio game? BTW Timo I love that you don’t mince words and get pissed when they don’t show up to play.

Cheers

• nunacanadien says:

Only way Habs play tonite is if Mr. Molson and Mr. Therrien remember who they are: you are hockey administration, and its time you stop bickering around and let the men be men for once.

It’s time the habs pass the puck like the hockey players they were all their lives, only coming to Montreal seems to make hockey players forget that one thing, that they are here to play hockey, to pass the puck, to score.

Time to finish the passes, time to set up the plays, time to finish the checks. This insistence on playing zone defense at the expense of bodies doesn’t hold water.

Cause hey Montreal you are living on borrowed time.

40. Strummer says:

Habs can’t score 5v5. How long has it been since the last 5v5 goal? Two whole games and counting.
    Bruins have the ability to box out player s to stifle offense.
    Remember last year’s conference final against the Pens?
    They Pens scored only 2 goals as they got swept.
    Habs need to play with speed and put pressure on the inexperienced Boston D and the aging Chara.
    And they have to capitalize on their chances.

____________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• PrimeTime says:

Speed starts in the d zone and accelerates through the neutral zone. This is where Bos has improved the past 2 games. Plus Rask has been better than earlier in the series.

• Forum Dog says:

Habs last 5-on-5 goals have comes as a result of crashed nets and screens (i.e. Weaver goal). They definitely need more of that. Which of course requires that they get the puck into the Bruins zone and get a cycle going.

They need everyone on their top-six to put their Gallagher-pants on and get engaged. No more blind passes to the centre of the ice just so that you don’t get hit. No more coasting by the net when the play goes to it. And no more stick waving when the play is along the boards. Put a body on somebody.

41. PrimeTime says:

Will Vanek or Vanish play tonight? Could be the difference maker.

42. kalevine says:

Another interesting parallel to the 2011 series is how, over the course of the series, 5 on 5 scoring has dried up. In the last 2 games vs the B’s in 2011, Habs scored 5 goals but none were 5 on 5. One was shorthanded. We are seeing a similar scenario. Losing this series would be a big disappointment, but gotta at least win one for the fans tonight

43. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

If the Habs don’t make it past the bRuins I’ll never hear the end of it from their fans hear at work. Please Habs… 2 more wins to deliver me from this hell.

X X X X X X 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

44. habsguru says:

if rat marchand pulls that garbage at opening face off, Gally should take a deep breath, then punch him square in the beak, glove on, as hard as he can. they would both get two minutes, and tone would be set.

besides, how could he miss that target???

• third generation haber says:

A Gally fight with anyone would fire-up this team for sure!

j.p. murray

• Timo says:

Right, because otherwise what motivation do they have?

• CJ says:

Agreed. That said, how sad is it that one of our youngest, smallest players would need to do that to jump start the veterans. Where’s Gionta been? And to think many want to resign this guy for another 2-3 years.

When I look at our team, with the exception of Weaver, our best players are all under 30. When the going gets tough, you need your veterans to step up. Again, not slamming the original point because I agree with the poster 100%. I simply think that’s a sad indictment on the experienced players in our room.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Weaver > Gorges.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• third generation haber says:

In the very least, I hope this opens people’s eyes to which players are valuable in the playoffs and which aren’t.

For me, Subban, Eller, Gallagher, Bourque, and Weise have proven themselves. I believe Max is just playing injured.

While many have been fine, DD, Briere, and Markov have been invisible for me. Since it’s a cup we’re building towards, let’s focus on acquiring and developing players who come alive in the playoffs and rid ourselves of the softies who just don’t have the stomach for it.

j.p. murray

• Dust says:

really? Gionta? He has been good this whole series.

• CJ says:

He doesn’t finish. He didn’t finish in 2011 against the Bruins, and he doesn’t finish now. He does get himself into great scoring positions, but he needs to convert some of these opportunities. If his role is third line checker, I’d be parting ways and looking for someone with size who can do the same thing for a fraction of the cost.

45. CJ says:

Good morning folks.

Quickly recapping the Spezza and Phaneuf rumours…. It’s interesting to note that rival GM’s value Dion, but only if the Leafs retain salary. Dion is a decent player, but $7 million is way too much. $5 million annually, with the Leafs retaining salary, and he becomes an attractive commodity on the open market. Not to revisit an old conversation, but this was my logic when we were discussing PK’s value – just because the Leafs overpaid for Dion doesn’t mean we must overpay PK. Lastly, defenceman earning $8-$9 million annually should find their way onto the ice for more than 22:50 a night. Game four turned this series upside down. I’m probably more frustrated today than I was immediately following the loss because I see the implications clearer. We had the rats in a trap and sprung the cage door.

Regarding Spezza, forget about him. The Sens will do well to get a prospect and draft pick for this guy. He is often injured and hasn’t proven once in his career that he is either a leader or a winner. He is a big body who plays a small man’s game minus the speed.

Now back to the real conversation…..

I’ll set my ideas aside as there’s almost no chance of the coach going with anyone other than the veterans in this crucial game. Instead, allow me to propose the following lineup, using players who have played this postseason (again, not my ideal lineup, but…)

Max DD Vanek
    Gally Pleks Bourque
    Gio Eller Moen
    Weise Briere Bournival

PK Gorges
    Emmy Markov
    Frankie Weaver

Price

In closing, I’m not nervous at all. If anything I’m frustrated with some of the coaching decisions, but primarily that we had these snakes in the bag and failed to secure the sack. How terrible the thought that the Bruins might have their names etched on the greatest trophy in the world AGAIN…… Do something about it Montreal! Go Habs! Cheers, CJ

• JUST ME says:

Would not touch either one of them Spezza or Phaneuf with a 10 foot pole.

As for the coaches decisions i politely disagree with your view because i would rather have a coach that tries and tries and tries then what we had in Martin,Cunneyworth or else that would stick trying the same old plays with the same old players with no switches no guts,no balls.

What is important anyway is that i know we will bith be cheering for the same squad tonight ! Go Habs Go !

• third generation haber says:

Agreed on Spezza and Phaneuf. Dion’s a good d-man so long as we overlook the fact that he CAN’T PLAY DEFENSE!!!

j.p. murray

• Luke says:

Re: Phaneuf:
      Should these rumours be valid, the fact the Leafs are shopping a guy before the 1st year of the 7 year extension they just signed him to is clear indicator of how messed up that organization is.

• third generation haber says:

Putting it that way, I don’t believe he’s actually in-play.

j.p. murray

• Timo says:

I don’t think he is good in the room. He ain’t Scott Gomez.

• Strummer says:

I think Shanahan looked at the operation and figues its time to clean house-change culture.
        Best place to start is Phaneuf.

____________________________________________________
        “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• Cal says:

Phagoof is worth about 2¢ annually. You figure the laffs would hand the captaincy over to someone who has heart and direction, instead of a mealy-mouthed coward.
      I’m glad the morons signed him for 7 years. It’s the same amount of bad luck you get when breaking a mirror.

• CJ says:

I agree with many of the comments regarding Dion, but hypothetically speaking, I’d rather have him at $5 million annually (assuming the Leafs would retain salary) than Gorges at $4 million. Gorges does many unheralded things on the ice, and is likely well respected in the room, but $4 million for what should be a 5/6 guy is simply too much money. If there is one thing I’ve learned watching Boston closely these past few years it’s that you don’t necessarily win with nice guys. Sometimes you need a#+^%# too.

• Cal says:

Phaneuf ain’t worth spit. He, to put it bluntly, is lousy. People wanting to ante up $5 mill + for a cowardly POS? Nutbars. All of ‘em.

• CJ says:

Fair point. Again, I’m not a fan. I’m simply suggesting that if the Leafs were willing to eat $2 million annually, he would have value on the open market. Of course, if I were a rival GM and the Leafs were willing to eat $2 million from their captains contract I’d be asking what’s wrong?

My comment regarding Gorges is a bit underhanded, as it simply suggests he’s making too much money. Next year, by Christmas, Beaulieu will be with PK on the top pairing, while Gorges will be 5/6 where he belongs. As a 5/6 I think he will be very, very good.

• JUST ME says:

You make valid points CJ but Phaneuf is not able to do what Gorges does. Little defensive plays , blocking a shot. When have you ever seen Phaneuf down on the ice blocking a shot ? I think that what Gorges bring to the team as expensive as it is, is worth much much more than what Phaneuf is supposed to be worth for what he actually does.

• CJ says:

Fair enough. Again, just to be clear, I don’t like Dion, but I also watch enough Leafs games to know he’s their best defenceman. I know, I know, that’s not saying much, but he does have a great shot, can be physical and is a good skater.

Gorges, regarded as one of the best shot blockers in the league had 177 blocked shots this season, while Phaneuf had 156. Keep in mind Gorges played fewer games, but Phaneuf is still top 20 among all defenceman.

So, to the question regarding blocked shots, yes Dion is among the best in the league.

• DipsyDoodler says:

The problem is you can’t have Phaneuf (or a similar player) at $5M.

—–
        Moving. Forward.

• CJ says:

Probably not. I prefaced my statement by saying I was speaking hypothetically. At $7 million he’s not going anywhere. Again, this is all based on rumour anyway, so likely no validity to any of it.

46. Luke says:

Good Morning Folks!

It should be a real doozy tonight!

Go Habs!

47. Le Jadester says:

Don’t know what to think about tonight ?
    The pressure of elimination ?
    I can’t believe it’s come to this ?
    Its so hard to live without the Habs playing ?
    Especially when we had chances to be up in the series ?
    Too much pressure for me for me…….its gonna be a long day/nite until everything unfolds ?

Habs, OLE !

• SmartDog says:

My prediction:
      Either the Habs will put up a real fight and win by 1.
      Or the Bruins will roll over them, the Habs will fall apart and lose by 4.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• JUST ME says:

I agree that the thought of having to do without is suddenly a bit strange but let`s cheer for the fun of it tonight and remember that we had a great run and lots of good hockey games with the bonus of knowing that we now have more than a superb core to build with and a G.M. than knows his stuff.

• kalevine says:

sucks that for the second time in 4 years there seems to be no justice for the good guys, no karma catching up to the bad guys. Do you think that maybe life isn’t fair? :(

48. jrs10069 says:

I think the habs / MT got screwed by the league in game 5. Thought they would be facing game 3/4 style refing but ended up with games 1/2. Probably didn’t work PP / PK as much as they should have. I would have loved to see mtl come out with a totally different gameplan in game 5 ie crash and bang, put tinordi in and start some fights, surprise the f out of boston / julien and finish them before they know what hit them.

Would have worked in game 5 but tough to do in game 6 although…would make it even more of a shock.

See who Boston puts on the opening faceoff and counter with who you’d least expect and go from there.

jrs10069

49. knob says:

Glad to see that 71% of us still have faith!!

I would really love to see Beaulieu in the line-up tonight but given the potential last home game of the year, Bouillon will likely dress. Briere needs to play and needs to be in the top nine and time for White to come in. Moen and Prust out.

50. BJ says:

Its very difficult to upgrade players on the top two lines. We’re complaining about DD and Pacioretty but who do you replace them with? At the beginning of the season many were trading Max for Evander Kane. I wouldn’t do it but would like to get Kane (providing he brings a bit more maturity to town, having said that who do you give up for him). And with DD, sure there are better centremen in the league but again who do you give up and who’s available. I think the more realistic position is to build with the draft and I don’t know if we can pick early enough to get that centerman or a number 2 D? Personally I would be happy to add a Gazdic type player and a modern day Joey Kocur, until we have a possibility to upgrade on the first two lines. And I’m also concerned that Galchenyuk has not really progressed this year.

• knob says:

There is the camp, which included myself, that felt it was time to see a one-two punch of Galchenyuk and Eller. Not taking anything away from Davey (he had a very strong second half of the season) but he just seems to be in the way of natural progression.

• third generation haber says:

well said; I’m a DD fan at heart, but can’t fathom him centering a top 6 line. Chucky and Eller are our future up the middle, so why not make way???

j.p. murray

51. Mick says:

The first period of game five, the referees made bad calls and changed the game in Boston’s favor. It set the tone for the rest of the game.
    Our needs:
    1. Heart transplant for Patches
    2. Heart transplant for Vanek
    3. DD is trying but he needs to …..?
    4. Put Eller on the first power play, DD is not working.
    5. White in for Prust.
    6. Bournival needs to know that he does not have to shoot at the goalies belly all night.
    7. Patches also needs a pair of…..
    8.????
    I hate the Bruins and I hate CBC.
    I feel better!

• Dust says:

habs went 0-3 on the powerplay in the first period.
      But yes the refs changed the game in the bruins favour.
      come on man

• Coach K says:

Hey Mick,

Bad calls happen. Blaming officials (even if its true) is a loser’s mentality and any coach will tell you its unacceptable. It means you are admitting that your team is unable to control its own destiny and you’ve defeated yourself before the puck is dropped. That’s a bad place to be starting from. As for the needs…

1. Agreed
      2. Agreed
      3. Someone to work with/go to the net (right now his vision is being wasted)
      4. Possibly – his size could could create something that DD can’t
      5. Couldn’t hurt
      6. That takes experience (maybe he’s best suited as a shutdown guy not a finisher or setup guy)
      7. Kick in the a$$ from his team mates (the ones coming from his coach aren’t working it seems maybe some form his team mates will have more of an impact)
      8. Coach with the stones to let the kids play if the vets aren’t producing