NHL cancels games through Jan. 14; Habs lose fantasy game to Caps

netweb

The NHL cancelled games through Jan. 14 on Thursday, bringing the total number wiped out by the lockout to 625.

If an agreement isn’t reached before that date, it’s likely the entire season will be cancelled since commissioner Gary Bettman has stated that a 48-game season would be the minimum acceptable with the playoffs wrapping up by the end of June.

The league and NHL Players’ Association haven’t met since last week.

If you’re suffering Canadiens withdrawal, The Gazette has the answer with the ultimate fantasy experience as beat writer Pat Hickey and Gazette techie Eric Tobon employ EA Sports NHL 13 to produce The Season That Isn’t. Here’s how things might have looked in Thursday night’s game between the Canadiens and Capitals in Washington:

PAT HICKEY
The Gazette

WASHINGTON – Defenceman Tom Poti was the unlikely offensive hero as the Washington Capitals edged the Canadiens 1-0 Thursday night at the Verizon Center.

Poti, a stay-at-home defenceman, beat Carey Price with a slapshot from the point at 13:09 of the third period. He credited former Canadien Roman Hamrlik with a major contribution on the goal.

“Hammer is more of a threat and I think everybody’s attention was on him at the point,” Poti said. “He started to shoot, but someone got in his way. He slid the puck over to me and I one-timed before (Carey) Price could react.”

Price and Michal Neuvirth turned in solid performances with each goaltender producing big saves and stopping 26 shots.

“You could feel the pressure build as the game went on,” Price said. “When you get that late in the game and nobody has scored, you don’t want to make a mistake. I don’t think I could have done anything different on the goal. I saw the puck go across and I moved, but he got off a perfect shot.”

Said Max Pacioretty: “We had some chances on a power play in the third period, but Neuvirth came up with a couple of great saves. It was one of those nights when you knew that one goal was going to do it because the goaltenders were on top of their game. (Alex) Ovechkin had Carey down at one point and somehow he managed to get his hand up to stop the puck. I felt sorry that we couldn’t get a goal because he didn’t deserve to lose tonight.”

The Canadiens continued to play without centre David Desharnais and defenceman P.K. Subban. Desharnais, who is nursing an abdominal strain, is with the team and has been skating on his own, but coach Michel Therrien said he probably won’t play Saturday night in Toronto.

“He’s getting better, but we want to give him a little extra time,” Therrien said.

As for Subban, he’s at least three weeks away. He has a hip pointer and the only cure is rest.

The Toronto game wraps up the first half of the Canadiens’ annual holiday road trip. After a few days off for Christmas, the Canadiens are in Tampa on Dec. 27, Florida on Dec. 28 and wrap things up in Carolina on New Year’s Eve.

phickey@montrealgazette.com

1. btcstore34 says:

input this URL:

( h t t p : / / w w w . b 2 c s t o r e . o r g / )

you can find many cheap and high stuff

Believe you will love it.

WE ACCEPT CREDIT CARD /WESTERN UNION PAYMENT
    YOU MUST NOT MISS IT!!!

2. HabsFanMTL says:

so who’s replacing randy teeman on tsn990 radio?

3. commandant says:

The stats show that Gun Violence in the USA far, far outweighs other industrialized countries.

Other countries like Canada, Japan, the UK, and many European countries have the same movies, the same tv shows, the same video games. But the incidents here (per capita) are far lower.

The two biggest problems in the US remain the easy access to guns, and the flawed health care system that doesn’t address people with mental health issues.

Solve those two issues, and the numbers will drop dramatically.

Blaming it on movies and video games, and music is a cop out, from the NRA and the Gun Lobby. Its a red herring to distract us from the real issues. It may have an effect… but its so minimal compared to the real problems, that we should prioritize what is really important here.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• ZepFan2 says:

I couldn’t agree more.

———————————————————————-
      Ka is a wheel.

Fans Theme: “You’re Breaking my heart, You’re tearin’ it apart” – Harry Nilsson

You’re breaking my heart

• Hobes says:

Ok so sitting in front of a TV for 12hrs a day playing a video game where you shoot people in the face with a machine gun before getting on the school bus and listening to Eminem talking about raping a girl and shooting her in the back of the head is good for a kid?

I never knew?

• ed lopaz says:

forget it Hobie,

there’s no talking to these guys.

even when you tell them the guns should be banned, there’s no talking to them.

there’s no difference between them and the NRA.

both groups are so entrenched in their positions, they simply can not discuss the issue rationally.

• ed lopaz says:

the massacre in the movie theatre – Batman (Joker) movie

the massacre in Collarado – War games related and planned

the massacre in Connecticut – War games expert who acted out the game

• Hobes says:

You know what soldiers listen to on their headphones before and during missions to get pumped up to kill people, gangster rap and death metal.

I wonder if that might work for a confused and angry 16-year-old kid?

• HabFanSince72 says:

In fact Ed, “those guys” sound pretty reasonable. Not everyone who disagrees with you is “entrenched”.

And besides, your counter-arguments: “look at Colorado, look at Connecticut” are barely arguments.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• ed lopaz says:

ya, making stupid jokes about my position is very “reasonable” what a crock of crap that is.

• ZepFan2 says:

Talk about exaggeration.

What kid sits in front of the tv for 12 hours before going to school?

WTF listens to Emminem anymore?

I guess I’m behind the times. Listening to Alice Cooper and Black Sabbath I should have made love to a corpse and worshipped the Devil. I’ll get right on it. :roll:

———————————————————————-
        Ka is a wheel.

Fans Theme: “You’re Breaking my heart, You’re tearin’ it apart” – Harry Nilsson

You’re breaking my heart

• Hobes says:

Oh, sorry. The kid slept and dreamed about killing people before waking up and going to school.

Alice Cooper, no wonder….

• ZepFan2 says:

“Alice Cooper, no wonder….”

No wonder what?

———————————————————————-
            Ka is a wheel.

Fans Theme: “You’re Breaking my heart, You’re tearin’ it apart” – Harry Nilsson

You’re breaking my heart

• frontenac1 says:

I saw Alice in the “70”s at the Montreal Forum. “Welcome to my Nightmare” tour. He killed himself 3 separate times up on Stage. It was a great show!

• commandant says:

Did I say it was good for a kid?
        or
        Did I say that other countries with the same video games don’t show the same problems with mass murder and gun violence (per capita)?

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Old Bald Bird says:

While it seems logical to assume that there should be a link, AFAIK studies show that there isn’t one. This is an American problem for the most part. There is something going on there that is not occurring anywhere else.

BTW: this is not the same as saying that ceaselessly playing a violent video game is a good thing.

• ont fan says:

Listening to a guy last night talking about Glock type and assault weapons. They were made for killing people and only people. Anything that has more than a six bullet clip should be banned. He also wondered about the circus that goes on after by the media.

4. ed lopaz says:

sorry, not a hockey post.

anyone ever notice how violent Hollywood movies have become over the years. take a look at that Tom Cruise movie being advertised on this web site, for example.

these movies are film versions of the crazy video games, “War This” and “War That”, that teenagers are playing – every day – using assault weapons, automatic weapons, and anything they can get their hands on to kill their enemies.

(the killer in Connecticut was a big time War video game player, and so were those nut jobs in Colorado)

anyone notice how much money Hollywood gives to support politicians in Washington?

Millions and millions – figures that challenge the money the NRA gives to the “other side”.

and Hollywood fights tooth and nail to keep their “ratings” away from that movie killer “R” rating, which keeps out their “best customers”, young teenagers.

if Americans want to do something about violence, and clearly they need to, they might want to look at the influence that Hollywood made movies, and those crazy War video games, have had on their youth.

Hollywood won’t make movies with lead actors smoking cigarettes – like they used to – but they will have the lead actors kill dozens and dozens of people using automatic weapons – weapons that, by anyone’s logic, should clearly be banned.

it’s time for a reality check for guys like Tom Cruise, George Clooney, and their Hollywood and Video buddies.

• shiram says:

There’s no proven links between movie/video game violence making people more violent.
      Parents should always make sure to explain the difference between fantasy and reality to their kids.

• ed lopaz says:

that is laughable! no “proven link”?

keep believing that.

• shiram says:

Well I have actually spent some time looking into this in the past, and I’ve found no reputable proof of it. Your counter-argument won’t do anything to change my mind.

• ed lopaz says:

how about the guys in colorado and connecticut, and the batman movie muderer?

will they change your mind??

funny how they were big time video game players, and movie related massacres.

• shiram says:

No, because again, apart from the media jumping on the “we hate video games, and we won’t try find any other possible reasons for these shooting” bandwagon, no proof has linked those actions to video games/movies.
            Movie and video games, and also music are just a very convenient scapegoats.
            I’ve not found not one scientific study that showed a link between virtual violence and real life violence, and you have not posted anything that would approach proof of it either.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Ed

I believe Shiram is referring to the concept of empirical evidence – or knowledge acquired by observation. In this case possibly scientific observation using statistics and the like.

As Emily D once said

Faith is a fine invention
            For people who see
            But a microscope is prudent
            In an emergency.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Hobes says:

Totally wrong. kids are growing up and becoming desensitized to violence from killing people in video games and watching super violent movies.

• shiram says:

I actually believe kids should not showed those movies or video games, not at least with some adult supervision. But any sane kid with decent parents will be able to dissociate a fantasy setting from reality.

99% of the time yes.

• shiram says:

Well I don’t think we should censor the world. Parents have a duty towards their children, and I believe with proper education and care there should not any issues.
            Guns and health issues are the factors in play with these shootings.

• ed lopaz says:

any sane kid with decent parents is not the problem here, is it?

• shiram says:

Exactly, so don’t blame something unrelated! The issue is guns and mental/physical health and well-being. Blaming movies/video games/music only distracts from the real problems.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I think Ed has a point.

I got a bit hooked on Grand Theft Auto IV and for much of 2009 I couldn’t stop myself driving on the sidewalks and mowing down pedestrians. Sure makes getting across town during rush hour easier. And the trick of killing the hooker after sex instead of paying up? What an idea that was!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Dust says:

I play those kinds of video games. I can’t wait to see Jack Reacher. I have no inclination to kill anyone. None. Thats a BS excuse for a mental issue. Maybe they were listening to marilyn manson too.

• ZepFan2 says:

Don’t forget to arm everybody. Just in case. :roll:

You’re just spouting off what that idiot from the NRA said today. Media and video games are the reason the Sandyhook shooting happened. Oh, and that guy was crazy. Guns weren’t the reason. There, our hands are clean now. Also, bridges are now available for sale

———————————————————————-
      Ka is a wheel.

Fans Theme: “You’re Breaking my heart, You’re tearin’ it apart” – Harry Nilsson

You’re breaking my heart

• Hobes says:

Video games and violent movies are a small part of the reason for sure. Guns are the main reason.

• ZepFan2 says:

I play GTA and I have no inkling to shoot up a school full of babies. I also have no desire to own a gun of any kind.

———————————————————————-
          Ka is a wheel.

Fans Theme: “You’re Breaking my heart, You’re tearin’ it apart” – Harry Nilsson

You’re breaking my heart

• Hobes says:

Either do I. But I was 16-years-old once, 20 years ago, and my friends and i listened to hardcore rap music and obviously didn’t shoot anyone but we thought we were the 2nd coming of Ice Cube on certain occasions. We came from good families and knew where to draw the line but that isn’t the case for everyone.

Sometimes all it takes is that little extra push to go over the edge and there is plenty of that around in today’s movies, video games…

Just my opinion.

• ZepFan2 says:

“We came from good families and knew where to draw the line but that isn’t the case for everyone.”

Exactly! So why blame the video games or the movies? It’s all up to the individuals well being and the way they are brought up.

———————————————————————-
            Ka is a wheel.

Fans Theme: “You’re Breaking my heart, You’re tearin’ it apart” – Harry Nilsson

You’re breaking my heart

• ed lopaz says:

I said those automatic guns should banned- maybe you should read the post more carefully.

• Hobes says:

I’m trying to agree with you ED :-)

• ZepFan2 says:

Yes, I saw that tiny bit muddled in the “blame the media and video games” tirade. I agree though, nobody needs a semi-automatic weapon!

You seem to forget movies and video games are escapism. They’re not training material for killing. At least for those not sick in the head.

Jack Reacher is a fictional character. What next, ban violent novels?

Violence in movies has been around from the beginning. “Look at me Ma. Top of the World.” Remember that quote? Remember all those old time gangster movies? How about a western? Should John Wayne movies be banned? I grew up in the 60’s. Have you ever seen Bullitt or Killer Elite? I’m pretty sure nobody used those films as a blueprint to shoot up a school.

That’s the NRA and the gun lobbyist’s way. Blame everything else but the actual reason, guns.

———————————————————————-
          Ka is a wheel.

Fans Theme: “You’re Breaking my heart, You’re tearin’ it apart” – Harry Nilsson

You’re breaking my heart

• Hobes says:

I hate guns, I hate the NRA, don’t get me wrong. But it is pretty ridiculous that everyone wants the guns and violence stopped but have no problems turning on a movie and watching people get murdered all night long in a good action flick.

kind of an oxymoron no?

• ZepFan2 says:

Not really. That’s why it’s called escapism. Violence has been in movies since day one. I’ve grown up with it and I have NO desire to kill anybody. Except for Gary Bettman :lol:

———————————————————————-
            Ka is a wheel.

Fans Theme: “You’re Breaking my heart, You’re tearin’ it apart” – Harry Nilsson

You’re breaking my heart

• Hobes says:

Well, not everyone has to agree…

And Zep, you, I and 99.9% of the people out there don’t want to kill people after watching a movie.

• ZepFan2 says:

“But as we know, it only takes one person out of 300 million people to kill 20 children.”

Yet he still needs that last piece to fit the puzzle, a gun.

Now what can we do about that last piece to the puzzle?

———————————————————————-
            Ka is a wheel.

Fans Theme: “You’re Breaking my heart, You’re tearin’ it apart” – Harry Nilsson

You’re breaking my heart

@Zep

I also agree 100% with removing guns from the equation.

• Cal says:

A Texan gun seller was on Piers Morgan last night. His solution was that the principal and teachers should have AR15s on their person at all times. Even in kindergarten classes. Needless to say, but wow. Just, wow.

• Hobes says:

I hate guns and the NRA makes me want to puke.

• Cal says:

The lines between reality and fantasy are being blurred, and not just here at HIO. When I was a kid, it was a stick that became whetever I needed it to be and all the kids around became expert at falling and pretending being shot, stabbed, whatever. Never for a moment did I think I was doing anything other than playing and having a good time, mainly because IMAGINATION was involved.

Now, even the toys look like weapons of war and it is a grave mistake for parents to give their children toys that look too much like the real thing. With all the deaths in Chicago alone this year, it’s time for society to decide what exactly is age appropriate and make the hard decisions.

5. Hobes says:

I think Hudon might be hurt?

U.S.A. ! U.S.A. ! U.S.A. !

6. JoeC says:

Hudon out if tourney , back issues

Oh my Gawd! Life is over on this planet! There is this white stuff coming from the sky this morning, we are doomed. If any touches your skin, you turn into a man with a carrot sticking out of your face.
    Good-by Friends!!!

8. Trisomy 21 says:

Galchenyuk: ‘Confidence is key but we can’t just walk around & say we’re the best team. We got to beat everyone.’

Highly skilled nd he’s down to Earth!

But seriously I hope USA does terrible for Seth Jones’ ‘Obviously we’re the best team here’ BS. I wouldn’t be too upset if he wasn’t ever in a Habs jersey… Last thing I need is to have to answer for his Stanley Cup guarantees. I never gave sens fans a harder time than when Alfredson guaranteed a stanley cup.

Did you hear the whole interview in which he said it? I heard it, and to me it seemed more like a kid with confidence and self belief in his teammates. It didn’t sound like a brash cocky kid, just my opinion in listening to the whole interview.

• Luke says:

This whole Seth Jones thing is such a crock. It’s media created and it is meaningless.

Should he have said: “I think we are third best, we’ll be in tough to win a medal, but we’ll give it a shot and see what happens.” ?

No, he’s (soon to be) a pro athelete. He has the belief and confidence that he can and will win, otherwise he wouldn’t be a pro athelete, he’d be a guy you see at the local rinks and say “Man, I can’t believe he never made it.”

I think what we have is a bunch of people who like their hockey players to be generic and quiet. He says something a touch ballsy and people freak. He’s getting the PK treatment for saying something a heck of a lot more casual then what PK says.

Bah. Poop on that. Go Seth. Tell us you are going to win. Do your damndest to back it up. If you don’t, as long as you left it all out there, good for you. If you do win. awesome.

Tris, I’ll take a(nother) confident, “5 tool” Defenseman in a Habs jersey anyday.

• Trisomy 21 says:

Good for him being confident… But I’d call it cocky. I don’t dispise him for being cocky, I just want to see him eat crow. Do I take offense to what he said? No. And the same goes for Alfredson. I like the guy, but Sens fans will always hear it from me that “boy did he look stoopid”

But I don’t agree with your statement “This is why you get the crap responses everyone also complains about: “Well, it’s a tough tournament and all the teams are good, but we’ll play our game plan and hopefully have success”.”

I think they don’t say things like guarantee because if you guarantee anything you can’t control then you’re fooling yourself and making a fool of yourself.

• Mark C says:

Yes, let’s hope the Habs steer clear of one of the best D prospects in years, so you can avoid having to answer for his potential future Stanley Cup guarantees.

• DrewBawss91 says:

Gally should be USA’s captain, he lets his playing do the talking

“H.O.E= Hockey Over Everything”

9. Ron says:

Hudon will miss WJ games. Back injury.

EDIT: Already posted by a min..

Wow, that sucks for him, really was going to be a chance for him to shine and more importantly get some big game experiences. He is obviously a true Hab, as the injury bug seems to love this organization.

10. Habs64 says:

Charles Hudon injured. Won’t play for team Canada.
    GMillerTSN: “@markhmasters: Hudon out for the tournament; Mark McNeill gets the call to replace him”

Okay this was the most festive hockey story I could find and post.

Merry Christmas everyone!

So you folks all still alive?
    Timo – check.

13. Ron says:

The BullDogs have signed another D-Man to a PTO contract. Cody Wild from the ECHL Wheeling Nailers. 6’1, 195 lb. Either there are some injuries or added some veteran experience. He is 25.

14. Mike D says:

An interview with Bill Daly from yesterday’s Winnipeg Sun:

It’s totally ridiculous how badly he contradicts himself on the fourth and the last question. Are the league and the PA far apart, Bill, or not?

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

• Cal says:

The two sides are far apart. If there is no deal by the 4th of January, another season will be lost. I put this square on the shoulders of Bettman and Fehr. Their version of negotiating is to wait…and wait…and wait. If they both dropped dead today, I’d have a big smile on my face.

• Kooch7800 says:

Mike, Do yourself a big favor and don’t read any of the BS these two sides are selling cause it is just that. It will just make you frustrated

I have stopped reading it and I honestly feel better. If/when the league starts up again I will watch on TV but until then I they can all go float their boat!

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

15. commandant says:

Reffing at the World Juniors, and how to deal with it.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

16. Dodger says:

I never bother commenting on anything any more but this silly fantasy game stuff causes me to cringe……….that a veteran, professional hockey writer such as Pat Hickey would be reduced to being obliged to write such rubbish is disconcerting. Keep the faith, Pat…….

17. Riga Fraction says:

Maybe the Mayans were just referring to the NHL all along, but were mistranslated somehow?

18. Cal says:

I guess I shouldn’t have run up my credit card. Dang!
    Someone told me I didn’t do any songs that included a flautist. To discourage any thoughts that I am anti-flautist, here’s some Jethro Tull.

19. Haborama says:

WOOOOOOOOOO

FIRST TIME GETTING MODDED!!!!!!

20. ProHabs says:

That is on my bucket list as well.

21. ProHabs says:

BBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (to the 99% of posters who can’t stand the fantasy hockey season)

If the world ends tomorrow, you will regret not enjoying the fantasy season.

22. HabFab says:

A scorecard of today’s play by the Hab WJC prospects;

23. Bripro says:

I realize this isn’t about hockey, but given that we may not be posting tomorrow, I just wanted to point out that…..
    the world is going to hell in a handbag!!!

24. Bripro says:

I just received an email from a friend in Australia.
    They’re still standing over there…. and playing rugby.
    Does that mean we’ll have to continue bitching about no hockey?

25. Mustang says:

The good news is that the Habs will not have to pay Gomez for not scoring this year.

EDIT: BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO to the fantasy game gimic.

26. Bill J says:

I would like to start by saying I apologize for the long post, but it is my Opus and last attempt to jolt a logical view pertaining to the Lockout(s) of the NHL.

By deffinition alone all 3 lockouts, were owner initiated. Where the goal of the owners was to gain more revenues, it has worked but any more is abuse.

There’s a reason Pheonix is owned by the league still, and has not moved. The new ownership and deal to remain in Pheonix? Is contingent on hockey starting prior to January 31st. Once that passes, the league will legally be able to move the team. If they moved/sold the to QC or TOR2 for example?, just like the Winnipeg effect… Revenues would skyrocket, the league knows they messed up in placing some of their dead weight locations. I sorta believe they did it on purpose.

Once the owners get their wish with a 10 year CBA “that the players should be happy to accept” that takes virtually everything away. The league moves the teams to colder climates, turns negative teams into positive teams for profits… And suddenly the owners have multiplied their year over year profits by 2+!

Lockouts, is owners who btw know what the plan is going into these messes. The players exercised an option that the owners also exercised last summer, the players chose to do it again this year… The owners locked them out instead of also doing it again this season.

Fehr was hired by the players because the guy is the best… And clearly for the players, twice in a row they lost. I dont blame them for wanting that to change.

While I believe this may change everything, at the same time… I believe once it does come back? It will be much better in its new format.

But like it or not, the owners are the primary cause for no hockey right now.

• HabFab says:

Lovely post but what if we are aware of this?

• Bill J says:

Then go about your business and keep laying pox on the players… yeeesh! :P

The others can just ignore my little rant. :)

• HabFab says:

I have thought of laying out a similar rant many a day. Especially the days, when the people here you have grown to respect their opinions, come out with the exact opposite of yours. How can I connect and make them see the truth? Well to each his own reality, because at the end of the day we must be true to ourselves. And to me this has been one of my hardest struggles, to keep an open mind :) or lacking that… respect.

By the way, I’m right and you’re wrong in case you have any confusions :P

• Bill J says:

:) wouldn’t have it any other way my friend. ;)

• Kevy says:

Umm no comma after days, you spelt “hear” wrong, do not start a sentence with And. Not to mention the other over uses of commas and wrong sentence structure.
            No confusions here

• Malreg says:

Obviously the last 3 lockouts were owner initiated… Or else they would not have been lockouts.

” The players exercised an option that the owners also exercised last summer, the players chose to do it again this year… The owners locked them out instead of also doing it again this season.”

I guess you’re talking about the option to extend the CBA to another season? That was not an option this summer, the CBA had expired. The players offered to continue playing under the current CBA while they negotiated a new one, but the owners would obviously never allow that. That would leave them with no negotiating power, and without a valid signed CBA the players could just strike right before the playoffs began if they did not get what they wanted(a move that Fehr has enough experience with).

I’m not saying the lockout is the players fault. Both parties are to blame.

• Bill J says:

Assuming a strike was to happen “just because of Fehr” is unfair.

Hasn’t happened as head of the NHLPA? But Bettman has led 3 lockouts hasn’t he?

• commandant says:

If the Players/Owners signed a temporary CBA that lasted 1 year, the Players wouldn’t have been able to strike right before the playoffs.

Of course, the Owners also wouldn’t have the hammer of a missed season and lost paycheques by doing that either.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

27. geo_habsgo says:

I wish hockey was back on so that I had some semblance of an excuse to spend inordinate amount of time at the pubs downtown. It just isn’t the same this season.

EDIT: Check out this commercial from Nike called “Hockey is Ours”:

It kind of fired me up and make me love Canada a bit more. The only thing it didn’t do is inspire me to buy more Nike ;)

28. Cal says:

Is this the end of the word for all time?
    Or am I just reacting badly to more cancelled games?

29. PeterD says:

Stick a fork in the season …it is done.

Clearly the Mayan calender is the issue. After we find out tomorrow at 6:11am that were still above the grass and tipping a glass, I am sure they will realize that they are pissing away real money given the planet is still spinning.

This has to be the reason right?

• GoGioGo says:

Funny that you would mention that. I just resisted the urge to conclude my last post with something like “anyway, this is all for nothing since we’re all dying in less than 13 hours”!

Anyway, let’s hope you’re right!

Just in case you wonder, my username does not mean “Leave Gio Leave”

• Considering the modern day calender is only 300 years old, in Mayan time December 21st 2012 happened about 3 or 4 years ago, that’s my theory and I am sticking to it.

They Call Me Shane
      “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
      Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• Bill J says:

Someone took the time to calculate that, and you’re not far from the mark.

When taking leap years into account, the Mayan calendar ended in November, 2011.

• GrimJim says:

It’s been Dec 21 for about 12 hours on the other side of the International Date Line, so we’re doing okay so far…
      Of course the Mayans were in the Central Time Zone so Winnepeg, you’re on the clock. When you’re past Dec 21 so are the Mayans…

31. GoGioGo says:

I have never been so happy to be wrong. Seeing as game cancellations have happened on Thursdays so far (IIRC), I told my friend about a month ago, that on December 20 we would get the ultimate Christmas gift : bye bye season!

There might still be a chance…

Although at this point, I kinda wish the season gets cancelled and the moderate owners manage to get rid of Bettman in the aftermath. But somehow I think that’s even more unlikely to happen than getting some NHL hockey this season.

All that means is there will be no sleepwalking performance by the Habs on the new year’s eve. I always look on a bright side.

33. Fake says:

Okay Kooch here it is.

CAMMY:

28 GP 19 P (CGY) 2011-12 +
    38 GP 28 P (MTL) 2011-12
    = 66 GP 47 PTS

67 GP 47 P (MTL) 2010-11
    65 GP 50 P (MTL) 2009-10
    =================

198 GP 144 PTS IN LAST 3 YEARS.

=================
    BOURQUE:

38 GP 8 P (MTL) +
    38 GP 16 P (CGY)
    = 76 GP 24 PTS (2011-12)

80 GP 50 P (CGY 2010-11)
    73 GP 58 P (CGY 2009-10)
    =================

229 GP 132 PTS

=================
    Now this really wasn’t worth my time adding + researching this stuff. Because all that really matters is how he plays for MTL, which so far isn’t good. IDC how much he’s paid. If he doesn’t play gtfo of MTL.

34. habaholic68NJ says:

Been so long since I posted, I almost forgot the password. Anyways, if this disaster of a season is toast, do we again place for third pick in the draft, pending the lottery?

*Listen to my instrumental tribute entitled “Habs at War” at http://petertoliasmusic.site11.com/Music_Site/OtherOriginalMusic.html

• Bill says:

I don’t think anyone knows. Last time a season was lost they had a weird lottery where your odds were determined by the previous three seasons, not just the last. Who knows what they’d do this time.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Mike D says:

There’s no word from the NHL yet as to how they will work the draft this summer. However, if they do the same thing they did during the last lockout, Montreal’s chances of getting a top pick are pretty low unfortunately.

Mind you, they were low last time too but we ended up picking 5th overall and drafted Price.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• 24 Cups says:

Habaholic – I believe your password is Lockout#3.

• GoGioGo says:

According to wikipedia :

As a lockout cancelled the games of the 2004–05 NHL season, the draft order was determined by lottery on July 22, 2005. Teams were assigned 1 to 3 balls based on their playoff appearances and first overall draft picks from the past three years. According to the draft order, the selection worked its way up to 30 as usual; then instead of repeating the order as in past years, the draft “snaked” back down to the team with the first pick. Therefore the team with the first pick overall would not pick again until the 60th pick. The team with the 30th pick would also get the 31st pick.

But of course, if the league blows up and starts anew, who knows how it will go this time…

Just in case you wonder, my username does not mean “Leave Gio Leave”

35. habsfaninboston says:

Seeing as nothing will get done during the holidays, it’s a good bet that this season is history.

Only one more kick at the can.