Next stop: Vancouver

So this morning it’s off to Vancouver to catch up to the Canadiens, who chartered to the West Coast last night following their 4-0 loss to the Calgary Flames in the Heritage Classic. Don’t think the Habs weren’t happy to see the last of McMahon Stadium…

A practice is scheduled for early afternoon at Rogers Arena in Vancouver. With the grace of God and a tailwind behind Air Canada, we’ll be there to bring you updates with audio and video.

(And if the Habs wish to expand their scouting department, they should look no further than here: last August, I profiled stock-car driver Trevor Bayne when he came through Montreal for the Nationwide Series race. Yesterday, barely 20, he became the youngest winner of the Daytona 500.)

1. The Cat says:

It depends what the plan is, if the plan is to continue with this system, I say trade Carey Price for a top level centreman or d-man. Because with the JM system, it doesnt really require a goalie to stand on his head, most goalies will do. New Jersey is a good example of this.

2. Captain aHab says:

This is the thing that gets me, aside from picks the only real reasonably proven assets we have are with the Habs already so if we trade them away, we stand a good chance to stay put after the trade as far as the standings.

3. The Cat says:

Absolutely. take a effin’ chance or unload the riff raff, but dont sit on a fence and hope.

4. Sheldon says:

PG evidently has a wine collection that is the envy of the other GMs in the League.

5. Miltie01 says:

What kind of BIG deal are you looking for ?

What assets do we have to offer another team to make a BIG deal ?

6. Miltie01 says:

There were also free agents who told us to screw off.

7. The Cat says:

Yes I realize that, but the difference in speed cant be this great. I think the habs would be best served with speedy youth rather than vet presence, its hard to be worse than this core group of vets on D.

Trading players is not the answer here! We have a very good group, minus injuries. Trading in our game plan might just be what is needed.

Put the lines together and leave them.

9. observer says:

players you mention in #2 could be involved in #3 happening. if gauthier thinks his job is on the line FOR REAL he will make a big move if not this mediocrity will just continue as it has for the last 8 years.

10. Sheldon says:

Even if the Habs chose to tank, they would probably pick the year with the weakest draft pool to do so.

11. Sheldon says:

Total spankification!

12. Miltie01 says:

I believe we will be waiting for Eller and Leblanc to mature, or some other young player we may pick up.

I agree it would be best if we had a big center, don’t think we are trading Price for it, especially now that Halak is not here as a back up plan.

13. Miltie01 says:

Not saying it will happen, but it has happened before.

Sam told Scotty to go to STL and get some experience, then he came back.

Could that be what Boucher was told ?

Could they be telling the same thing to Kirk ?

Can’t really know, but it has happened before.

14. SmartDog says:

Now that we’re done with “the Stink on the Rink”, management surely must admit to themselves that this team is not solid. Between injuries, aging (slow) players, and too many rookies, we’re not going far like this.

The real question is: what is their goal?  Consider:

1. If the goal is just to make the playoffs (ca-ching!) look for an inexpensive move or two that will help our blueline.

2. If the move is to look to the future, look for the dumping of a few guys (AK? Moen?) to a team that will pay something for an expendable guy or a guy we are going to lose this summer anyway.

3. If the move is to go for the cup, look for a blockbuster trade.  Given our injuries and the stronger teams around us, nothing short of that will take this team past the first round.  And if that happens, we stand to lose as much as we gain (in the long term anyway).

I’d like to see #2 but my guess is #1. Sigh

—-

A small positive point I mean to make earlier. I thought Eller had some good moments last night.  Not an impact guy or anything but he shows flashes of real potential IMHO.  Next year maybe.

15. Miltie01 says:

There are quite a few teams who wonder that

16. Bill J says:

You’re kidding right ?

You are saying that stating a clear & obvious fact such as “When the Head Coach or GM is fired, we will have a new Head Coach” is…

Well said ?

This happens ALMOST each time a GM is fired, it will surely happen this summer in CGY.  Now that a new GM is in place.

Or the fact that PG convinced his buddy JM to come to MTL ?

Not the first time this has happened in the NHL, or for that matter Professional sports….

As far as I’m concerned, NO SHIT SHERLOCK @ Observer’s comment.

17. Captain aHab says:

Seems these types of players don’t want to come to Montreal so I would guess we’ll have to draft one. Only way this is likely to happen is with a lottery pick and the Habs don’t like to be sellers. So might be a while.

18. Miltie01 says:

I think our success is all due to the coaching……that includes Muller.

I just don’t understand how some say it is all Muller and JM is useless……..no one ever mentions Pearn….weird.

True dat. We have to play out the year with what we have. Need to adjust the game plan.

This week we were beat 11 goals to 3. !!!!!

20. ZepFan2 says:

Holy crap, where do I start.

You’re idiocy would take too long to dig thru.

———————————————————————— “Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.” ~Serge Savard~

21. Miltie01 says:

Run and Gun ????

What gives anyone the idea that this team can run and gun ???

22. habstrinifan says:

Good one!

23. Miltie01 says:

I watch every game, and I see what you are talking about, but to think we know what’s going on by watching on TV doesn’t hold water. Again a poster who has watched live, not just what tv execs decide to show you, say he does talk to the players and get animated. We cannot judge from our narrow view of the situation.

It’s the system’s fault that the Habs have so many injuries IMO. They need to play run and gun like they did in the year they won the Conference. Since they turned their attention to defence the infirmary has been in the money.

It’s another year of JM make or miss the play-offs and Muller if he chooses will go elsewhere if he is offered a coaching position by another team.

I’d love to see him be Habs head coach but that is about as likely as Michel Bergeron being GM.

25. shiram says:

For anyone wishing a team overhaul, or lots of trade and roster management, you might have to wait after the playoffs. We have alot of position that are not signed for the next season, and we could see some big moves then.

Gomez, Cammy, Plekanec, Gionta, Moen and Eller are our only forwards signed for next year.
    On the D : Spacek and Subban only
    And of course Price is signed for next season as well.

26. observer says:

hamrlick is out of here when this year ends freeing up that overpaying of him by the 2 dummies.

27. sag says:

Is there anyone else out there who believes that Gomez to Phoenix is realistic?  Same idea as Atlanta – try to get guys on the team that the population can relate to in an otherwise disinterested market?  Gomez, although Alaskan, has hispanic roots.  He also has a massive cap hit and his salary drops significantly over the last 2 years.  Maybe, just maybe….False hope is terrible isn’t it?

Boy that game was tough to watch last night.  Iis depressing when they play like that – especially when it is during one of those games we all tend to build up and gather for.  Price was lights out in the first, and was the only reason we didn’t have the second 8+ GA game in recent memory.  I don’t think it will be much longer before Price deservedly “re-organizes” the locker room due to frustration.

28. Bill J says:

Not sure what your point is here Cat.

As a general rule Forwards skate faster then Defencemen….

Yes you are right, the Habs need help on D – but your reasoning for this need makes no sense to me ????

29. Sheldon says:

I agree with you. Barring some miracle cures for the Habs injured players, there are no band-aid solutions to what ails this team.

30. Miltie01 says:

We all judge by what we see on the tube…that is all we got, including me.

Yes we see Kirk doing a ton of things other teams have their head coaches doing, such as the time out talk etc etc. On our team that just happens to be Kirk’s job, but I would bet that Jacques has a big say in what is going on. I also believe that Kirk does have a bigger role as an assistant than other teams would allow, but I also believe that goes for perry Pearn as well. Bob also coached by committee when he was filling in, so did Carbo.

31. lenny says:

Sorry Ian,

But I wouldn’t consider Gomez, AK46, Pyatt Eller, and Moen a good group.

Gomez is a Huge underachiever and shows no signs of breaking out of his slump.

AK46 is even a bigger underachiever.

Pyatt-might be a good penalty killer and take direction well, but has little to no offensive skill and is a dime a dozen in this league

Eller, not his fault he was traded for Halak, Not his fault he should be in Hamilton, Not his fault….

Moen, how this guy plays on the top 2 lines is simply amazing. I don’t know of any other team where he would get the minutes or play on the top line as he does. He was brought here for his toughness and playoff experience, but is being misused on a scoring line. He has no scoring touch. He belongs on a 3rd or  4th line….

32. Bill J says:

LMAO – yeah It’s all the coaching staff’s fault that Markov, Gorges, Spacek, Cammalleri got injured right ?

Come on – At some point fans need to WATCH the games, and not the stats on paper.

Muller is a MUCH better communicator, that is obvious.

MULLER was the one who was given credit by JM himself for many of the positives in last years playoff run (thus why so many teams are interested in Muller as a Head Coach)

But yeah, spin it to win your point.  Yeesh!

33. shiram says:

So how about that rumour of Gomez being traded out of here by today??

34. Miltie01 says:

Did you marry miss america once for it to happen again ? LOL

No I am not saying such a thing……just saying that it has in fact it had happened once, which the original post questioned. I never said I think it was going on here, just that it did happen once.

35. Miltie01 says:

So, the team is crap and the head coach isn’t really the head coach ???

And you want to keep the guy who is REALLY the headcoach even if he is responsible for this team being crap ?

I don’t get it……

If Muller is the current head coach should he not be the one to take the hit, after all he was doing the coaching right ?

36. Bill J says:

The rumour was Gomez to PHX in return for another albatross contract – Ed Jovanovski…. who is now injured for 3-4 weeks….

So unless PG trades for a Defenceman on the IR (god knows we have a few of those already) … :(

37. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Pool party and BBQ here at my place if that goes down.

38. Miltie01 says:

Muller is going to be a good headcoach I agree. I don’t understand though how you absolve him of any responsability when it comes to what is happening right now. He has a very big role to play in how this team does.

I think the coaching staff has done well, they just don’t have all the tools for their toolbox.

39. Mattyleg says:

Gomez for Kovalchuck!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

40. Bill J says:

My bet & unfortunately it means we as fans will have to suffer through this injury riddled season.

IF Montreal falls out of the playoffs, which COULD happen…  JM is toast as Head Coach.

And THIS time, the prospect Coach will NOT be allowed to walk like Boucher was last summer.

Muller IMO IS the current Head Coach of Montreal, just look at the games, he talks to everyone as if he truly IS the Head Coach.

While JM does his Penguin shuffle behind the bench.

41. Miltie01 says:

JM got a fair amount of him last season didn’t he ?

Name me a player who doesn’t have an off season, so glad we don’t have Ovechkin this year, he would be drawn and quartered !!!

And Lemaire would turn Gomez into a point per game producer with at least 20 of those points being goals.

43. Bugs says:

Surrender is surrender, no matter how you spin it.

44. TripleX says:

If you think AK is the problem with this team then I am glad you are not the GM.

Scott Gomez 58 games 7 GOALS 22 ASSISTS and a MINUS 18! AT 8 MILLION DOLLARS!

Andrei Kostitsyn 59 games 13 GOALS 16 ASSISTS and a PLUS 4.  AT 3.25 MILLION DOLLARS.

And I don’t actually blame Gomez.  I BLAME THE IDIOTS WHO TRADED FOR HIM!

Get rid of the rot at the top!

45. Storm Man says:

I don’t think Gauthier drinks coffee so he can’t smell it. I’m not sure what is going on with this team the past two games have been BS is it the thin air in Calgary? I was asked last night if i was going to see the Habs in Vancouver as i have been offered tickets… I said what for.

46. Chuck says:

Kovalev has 14 goals. That would put him 3rd in Hab goal scoring…

47. SLONCOLD says:

ya, but he scored 14 goals while not trying or caring lol

48. Sheldon says:

You can’t earn that coin and put up Tom Pyatt numbers!

49. Storm Man says:

Case closed.

50. Bill J says:

More of a “tank-tipulation” – :D lol

51. blu3chip says:

You wish he has 50 points 55 games.

52. TripleX says:

You are a child  LOL.

Get over it dude everyone gets sand kicked in their faces at some point in life.  Brush it off and move on.

Holding on to petty grudges is so useless.

53. lenny says:

you said it…

54. Bill J says:

1) well yeah, below the 500K mark, you round DOWN if you’re rounding numbers… Not up by nearly 700K lol

2) What I mean is we do not really know how much of an impact Gomez’s arrival had on impending UFA’s.   Say all you want that they would have come regardless, in the 13 years of Koivu, it never happened.

3) So yeah while you’re right, Gomez is paid far too much for what he brings, stating PG & BG are idiots for that ONE deal, while forgetting all the VERY good moves because of this one dud of a move… Is well selective slamming.

BG & PG have done more good for this franchise then any other GM has in the last 20 years.  I’m a happier Hab fan for it too.

Could the Habs do better, I honestly do not know, nor do I think so.  As the good GM’s are already employed by other NHL franchises.

55. Kimberly2u says:

Why don’t they use Gill as a forward and park him in front of the net?  No goalie would see around him..that’s what they did in Atlanta with Byfuglien…I still say we need a big forward and it wouldn’t hurt right now if we got the right guy

56. SLONCOLD says:

i like the idea of spezza and cammy playing together. if they want gomez for spezza…done…doubt it though.

their contract are similar in years remaining and salary.

57. Storm Man says:

I don’t think you understand the meaning of the post you have. You’re always talking about yourself. Now pretend you’re smart and do something.

Lenny,  no one is going to take them and their contracts my friend. So just play with what we have. Coaching is an art, we are missing the paint or brushes,. It is up to the coach to put the package together. We are a better group than last year minus injuries.

59. lenny says:

What are the chances AK46 is a Hab next year?

60. fbkj says:

okay well so long as your interested in discussion thanks for your deafening silence

61. Bill J says:

Well as compared to Gomez who is flat out NOT playing for Martin NOW…..

I would not scoff at Spezza coming to MTL.

And if Martin does not like it, FIRE him and promote Muller. :D

62. SPATS says:

Good idea, it’s been said many times in the past… Wouldn’t surprise me if they try Mara there…

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

63. SPATS says:

Tough to wear the CH in KHL… He’s homesick send the F*** home!

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

64. Bill J says:

I would not bet on it.

If you’re looking for numerical odds ?

0.2% chance he wears the CH next season,

and IMO – about a 5-10% chance he makes it past the trade deadline this season.

65. Pieboy says:

I have the greatest respect for Lemaire as a coach, but this is sheer idealization. As I recall, for all his success, Lemaire’s long record in Minnesota was not stellar. Ironically, there are a lot of similarities between Lemaire and JM.

The Habs are depleted by injuries, there have been a lot of changes in the lineup, and the results are really beginning to show. Under the circumstances, I don’t think JM has done a bad job.

With regard to PG and the tradeline, the season isn’t over for the Habs, but this isn’t a cup winning team anyways, so I agree with the posters here that it would be folly to sell the future for a rent-a-player. Habs future on defense looks good. In the long term, though, this team lacks a finisher (or two) with size up front.

66. fbkj says:

… people were hoping for that?

67. Pieboy says:

Eller is an intelligent kid who hasn’t even filled out his frame yet.  Another 1-2 years will tell if he is capable of playing on the top two lines. I wouldn’t write him off just yet.

68. fbkj says:

savard wasnt exactly a rosie gm

69. TripleX says:

Serge Savard might beg to differ.

When PG was given the job without even seeking out other candidates there were better people available.

Yes the Habs could do much better and that is the real tragedy.

70. newbrunswick troy says:

the biggist set back on Souray is that he broke his hand again this year>>>that like 5 or 6 times  he has got to be at this stage a MAGOR HEALTH RISK!!!!!

71. TripleX says:

Any GM that wins a Cup for Montreal is no slouch in my book.

Excuse me? 3 trips to the finals. Savard is the man in my books.

73. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Ya cuz the Wiz is so awesome defensively.

74. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Not necessarily Ian, we might be able to trade him if there is another huge contract coming back.  Which is how the Phoenix rumors started.