Next stop: Vancouver

So this morning it’s off to Vancouver to catch up to the Canadiens, who chartered to the West Coast last night following their 4-0 loss to the Calgary Flames in the Heritage Classic. Don’t think the Habs weren’t happy to see the last of McMahon Stadium…

A practice is scheduled for early afternoon at Rogers Arena in Vancouver. With the grace of God and a tailwind behind Air Canada, we’ll be there to bring you updates with audio and video.

(And if the Habs wish to expand their scouting department, they should look no further than here: last August, I profiled stock-car driver Trevor Bayne when he came through Montreal for the Nationwide Series race. Yesterday, barely 20, he became the youngest winner of the Daytona 500.)

1. shuttle-lemaire-lafleur says:

Please unload this 6.0 ft 214lb pussy known as Andrei Kostitsyn by the end of the week …he is a lost cause ! I could care less if we get anything for this lump of shit…although that woud be a damn shame considering the money he is getting,he brings nothing to this team…still can’t believe they drafted this so-called skilled player 10th overall in 2003, when they could have had…well, we all know who they passed up to get him…no need to name them again as it is already well known, look it up if you are unaware of who they were…suck it up and smell the coffee Mr. Gauthier…he is useless..!!

2. The Cat says:

I dont necessarily mean 1 for 1, it can be a blockbuster involving a few players.

3. Miltie01 says:

People said the same thing about Cammi and Pleks…..they on borrowed time too ?

4. HabsFanInTampa says:

So your argument is it happened once (Bowman) in the last 40 years. So it “might” happen again. Yeah, and I “might” marry Miss America.

5. The Cat says:

Because theres no size down the middle, the offense is unidimensional, also the D are very slow, theres no other game plan JM can use. Unless the new game plan consists of scoring a lot on the PP.

6. Chuck says:

How would you afford that? I’d guess that Price is making a few million less that the type of player that you’re looking for.

7. Sheldon says:

There is only one coach on the planet that might get some performance out of Scott Gomez. Unfortunately, that man is Jacques Lemaire of the Devils.

8. Chuck says:

Kovalev–Plekanec–Kostitsyn

😉

9. Bugs says:

Holocaust Implodafication!

10. CanadienBoy says:

Since Gomez did not get the C, he does not give a damm sh.. anymore ,may be he think because of it ,he might be on borrow time like with the Ranger

11. habstrinifan says:

I am saying that PG was influential in getting JM and it is unlikely he will fire JM. What’s in that observation to for you to raise as much ‘hell’ as you did.

12. shootdapuck says:

Ian,

Addition by subtraction may be the best answer!

Something needs to be done ASAP.

Status quo this year or next year is not the answer.

“I only like to watch and takes notes” JM

What group does Gomez fall into, Ian? :)

14. Bill J says:

Ok, I thought based on what you where saying that you did not see what I was seeing.

Yes granted, there are things we have not seen, but over the last few seasons – and for that matter even when Carbo was here, I have seen Muller act more like a Head Coach then the actual Head Coach he worked for.

Granted as you said, there are other moments we do not see…. BUT, it is serious food for thought, the fact that there is all this video evidence showing Muller working it more then his “boss” so-to-speak…

Ya know ?

Oh & P.S. – if we can not judge from our narrow view of the situation, Habs I/O will die…. This site is built on opinions and judgment, Price V. Halak arguments paid for the server fee’s for the next 5 years alone….

15. Miltie01 says:

If we were healthy we would have a better record. The system would not change very much. We don’t have a great team. Even if healthy we are a good team with a couple holes to fill.

16. Habnofear says:

Your bottles have gone  Vinegar 😉

17. Sheldon says:

The biggest problem is that there is absolutely no market for the guys you would want to trade anyway.

18. habstrinifan says:

Well said.

19. HabsFanInTampa says:

Why would Boucher and/or Muller “come back to us when they have experience”?!?!?!?!?!? I know Montreal is a great city with lots of history blah, blah, blah. But realistically, you’re kidding yourself.

20. The Cat says:

While I agree its difficult to let go of Price, its just that scoring aint gonna happen at even strength until theres size down the middle. habs havent been a fundamentally sound hockey club for years, a club that seemingly can only score when the other team has less players on the ice. its not manly hockey at all.

21. Miltie01 says:

My guess is Pierre will only move if he can get a big skilled player who is between 21 and 27 and will be here next season and beyond and only if he doesn’t have to rip the franchise apart. Other than that he may move UFA’s if we fall out of the playoffs before the deadline.

22. Hobie Hansen says:

There’s no point, at the moment, of throwing away a 1st round pick or a bunch of young players to go after a UFA. With Markov and Gorges done, it would take some unbelievable luck to make any sort of a run this season.

If Gauthier can make a deal for a player who’s signed beyond this season and will be in training camp next fall, than sure go for it. If he can unload Gomez for a lesser contract or nothing in return that also works with me.

There’s no point in sacrificing too much of the future at this point in time. Wait and see what happens with all of our UFAs and RFAs over the summer, hopefully have better luck with injuries next year and make some moves then…

23. observer says:

2 julys ago that bs excuse was destroyed as free agents were hapopy to sign here as molsons was about to buy the team.

24. punkster says:

No bigger than the whine collection around here.

***Subbang!!!***

25. The Cat says:

It depends what the plan is, if the plan is to continue with this system, I say trade Carey Price for a top level centreman or d-man. Because with the JM system, it doesnt really require a goalie to stand on his head, most goalies will do. New Jersey is a good example of this.

26. Captain aHab says:

This is the thing that gets me, aside from picks the only real reasonably proven assets we have are with the Habs already so if we trade them away, we stand a good chance to stay put after the trade as far as the standings.

27. The Cat says:

Absolutely. take a effin’ chance or unload the riff raff, but dont sit on a fence and hope.

28. Sheldon says:

PG evidently has a wine collection that is the envy of the other GMs in the League.

29. Miltie01 says:

What kind of BIG deal are you looking for ?

What assets do we have to offer another team to make a BIG deal ?

30. The Cat says:

Yes I realize that, but the difference in speed cant be this great. I think the habs would be best served with speedy youth rather than vet presence, its hard to be worse than this core group of vets on D.

31. observer says:

players you mention in #2 could be involved in #3 happening. if gauthier thinks his job is on the line FOR REAL he will make a big move if not this mediocrity will just continue as it has for the last 8 years.

32. Sheldon says:

Total spankification!

33. SmartDog says:

Now that we’re done with “the Stink on the Rink”, management surely must admit to themselves that this team is not solid. Between injuries, aging (slow) players, and too many rookies, we’re not going far like this.

The real question is: what is their goal?  Consider:

1. If the goal is just to make the playoffs (ca-ching!) look for an inexpensive move or two that will help our blueline.

2. If the move is to look to the future, look for the dumping of a few guys (AK? Moen?) to a team that will pay something for an expendable guy or a guy we are going to lose this summer anyway.

3. If the move is to go for the cup, look for a blockbuster trade.  Given our injuries and the stronger teams around us, nothing short of that will take this team past the first round.  And if that happens, we stand to lose as much as we gain (in the long term anyway).

I’d like to see #2 but my guess is #1. Sigh

—-

A small positive point I mean to make earlier. I thought Eller had some good moments last night.  Not an impact guy or anything but he shows flashes of real potential IMHO.  Next year maybe.

34. Miltie01 says:

There are quite a few teams who wonder that

35. Captain aHab says:

Seems these types of players don’t want to come to Montreal so I would guess we’ll have to draft one. Only way this is likely to happen is with a lottery pick and the Habs don’t like to be sellers. So might be a while.

36. Miltie01 says:

I think our success is all due to the coaching……that includes Muller.

I just don’t understand how some say it is all Muller and JM is useless……..no one ever mentions Pearn….weird.

37. Miltie01 says:

Run and Gun ????

What gives anyone the idea that this team can run and gun ???

It’s the system’s fault that the Habs have so many injuries IMO. They need to play run and gun like they did in the year they won the Conference. Since they turned their attention to defence the infirmary has been in the money.

It’s another year of JM make or miss the play-offs and Muller if he chooses will go elsewhere if he is offered a coaching position by another team.

I’d love to see him be Habs head coach but that is about as likely as Michel Bergeron being GM.

39. observer says:

hamrlick is out of here when this year ends freeing up that overpaying of him by the 2 dummies.

40. sag says:

Is there anyone else out there who believes that Gomez to Phoenix is realistic?  Same idea as Atlanta – try to get guys on the team that the population can relate to in an otherwise disinterested market?  Gomez, although Alaskan, has hispanic roots.  He also has a massive cap hit and his salary drops significantly over the last 2 years.  Maybe, just maybe….False hope is terrible isn’t it?

Boy that game was tough to watch last night.  Iis depressing when they play like that – especially when it is during one of those games we all tend to build up and gather for.  Price was lights out in the first, and was the only reason we didn’t have the second 8+ GA game in recent memory.  I don’t think it will be much longer before Price deservedly “re-organizes” the locker room due to frustration.

41. Bill J says:

Not sure what your point is here Cat.

As a general rule Forwards skate faster then Defencemen….

Yes you are right, the Habs need help on D – but your reasoning for this need makes no sense to me ????

42. Bill J says:

LMAO – yeah It’s all the coaching staff’s fault that Markov, Gorges, Spacek, Cammalleri got injured right ?

Come on – At some point fans need to WATCH the games, and not the stats on paper.

Muller is a MUCH better communicator, that is obvious.

MULLER was the one who was given credit by JM himself for many of the positives in last years playoff run (thus why so many teams are interested in Muller as a Head Coach)

But yeah, spin it to win your point.  Yeesh!

43. Miltie01 says:

So, the team is crap and the head coach isn’t really the head coach ???

And you want to keep the guy who is REALLY the headcoach even if he is responsible for this team being crap ?

I don’t get it……

If Muller is the current head coach should he not be the one to take the hit, after all he was doing the coaching right ?

44. Miltie01 says:

Muller is going to be a good headcoach I agree. I don’t understand though how you absolve him of any responsability when it comes to what is happening right now. He has a very big role to play in how this team does.

I think the coaching staff has done well, they just don’t have all the tools for their toolbox.

45. Bill J says:

My bet & unfortunately it means we as fans will have to suffer through this injury riddled season.

IF Montreal falls out of the playoffs, which COULD happen…  JM is toast as Head Coach.

And THIS time, the prospect Coach will NOT be allowed to walk like Boucher was last summer.

Muller IMO IS the current Head Coach of Montreal, just look at the games, he talks to everyone as if he truly IS the Head Coach.

While JM does his Penguin shuffle behind the bench.

46. gohabsgo25 says:

Next year i believe were screwed, someone is going to snatch muller from us to become a head coach and not a asst. For muller i would be proud for him for his promotion, but dont you realize that he is the only one trying to calm down the troops, we shud fire jm and keep a diamond in the rough.

47. joeybarrie says:

It doesn’t work that way. We CANNOT have Carbonneau, JM, Muller and Boucher all as our equal coach.

We went in the direction of experience. Smartly, we want Boucher, and Muller to come back to us when they have experience.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

48. joeybarrie says:

ESPECIALLY IN SPECIAL TEAMS…………..

I just figured it out. We know we aint winning the Cup. So the players are ruining the PK and PP on purpose to stop any other team from being interested in Muller…….. smart.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

49. CanadienBoy says:

THE scary part is Muller could be a really good fit for Washington

50. gohabsgo25 says:

im not writing the season off. but ur absoultey correct, coaching staff is doing a great job, and with all the injuries i applaud them for us still fighting for a playoff spot.

But would you wanna lose a great prospect coach, i wouldnt and i dont think geoff molson would like to also. as soon as mr molson comes in, he probably wont care about our coach being a francophone, as a owner he wants the best coach avaiable and always have a great team on the ice.

Ne ways Habs are gonna come out strong tomarrow and hope for a good game.

51. The Cat says:

The habs urgently need help on D. I saw a Calgary forward skate so much faster than Hamrlik (I think) it wasnt even funny. It doesnt matter that its Hamrlik, it could have been Gill or Mara.

52. CanadienBoy says:

Why is Colorado shaking there team so much ,Liles on the market should bring something better or as good as Kaberle

53. observer says:

nothing said about spacek! is that buffalo story true that spacek is out for the year?

54. observer says:

gauthier went in the direction of his friend and ottawa coach. if gauthier is fired only then will there be a new coach.

55. observer says:

not with this management team. gainey a former checker. gauthier best known for trading away selanne, kariya and demitra.

56. Hobie Hansen says:

I was pretty shocked to see Stewart move from Colorado! He’s one of the best young power forwards in the game.

57. observer says:

tere is no depth because 8 years of poor drafting for the most part AND trading away all those #1s and especially #2s. its all on the 2 gms!

58. lenny says:

I wonder if the Habs will ever have a 40-50 goal, 100 point player again?

59. Miltie01 says:

Last season Kirk was given the choice of remaining the assistant in Montreal, or going down to the Bulldogs to get head coach experience. This was offered so he could gain the experience so he could then get a headcoach job on another team or be ready when we need him. He declined.

I don’t think management wants to lose him at all. At the same time they won’t stop him from achieving his career goals, even if it means he leaves. I feel if he is the guy they want next they will do what it takes.

60. observer says:

i know they are receiving revenue sharing money from the league – i mean from canadian teams like mtl and tor especially. maybe they are having money problems?

61. Bill J says:

Isn’t a bit early to be hitting the sauce apparently eh ?

62. ZepFan2 says:

Oh how I’ll celebrate the day HIO implements the ignore button. You’ll be the first on my list.

Just think, you’ll finally be # 1 at something.

———————————————————————— “Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.” ~Serge Savard~

63. Sheldon says:

No! With the draft picks they end up getting and the players they end up choosing, the best you can hope for is that after marinating for three or four years in the AHL you have a bona fide third liner.

64. observer says:

WHY DO you not want the truth posted?

65. Bill J says:

Will you please stay on topic here.

Sure depth would be great, but when you lose your BEST 2 defencemen for the season, that is not resolved by “depth”

Should be another classic a$$ whooping.

67. showey47 says:

I’m guessing muller ends up in new jersey. I really hoped he was going to be our coach before JM was hired.

68. Bill J says:

I think I actually told you WHY some people think Muller deserves more credit.

1) Watch the Montreal bench in the next game, carefully note which coach speaks to the refs, which  coach speaks to the players, and which coach seems engaged in the games. (hint – MULLER)

2) Jacques Martin HIMSELF gave MUCH of the credit for last years playoff run to – yup MULLER!

RE Pearn, he was given a lot of credit as well, which bodes the question.  If all the credit goes to the Assistant Coaches, and they SEEM to be doing all the work when we watch the games….

Why is Jacques Martin doing his Penguin shuffle behind the bench still ???

I do not think that I have been as disappointed in our play, as I am on this road trip. Very poor effort through out the whole line up. I am not sure if it is the game plan that needs changing or the boys not implementing team play, but we are playing very poorly.

In a 30 team league, here is where we place after 60 games.

Goals Against   154,  We are in 10th place.  Last week we were in   9th place, with 143 GA.

Total Points       69,  We are in 12th place.  Last week we were in   9th place, with  68 points.

Goals For         154,  We are in 28th place.  Last week we were in 20th place, with 151 GF.

We are still 2nd in our division.

We are now 6th in our conference.

70. Bill J says:

Because we can’t handle your tru….<cough cough, ahem> Bulls**t anymore, we are SICK OF IT!

71. observer says:

i could never imbibe enough alcohol to delude myself like you that a guy who for 30 years in the league and now on his 3rd general manager’s job will lead this team to a championship when he never was with a team who even got as far as the stanley cup finals. delusional is exactly – YOU!

72. Miltie01 says:

None of us are behind that bench, on the ice or in the room…….how can we know watching on the tube.

One of our poster who went to a recent game reported that during the game he was at JM did alot of talking to the players…..and even smiled !!!

73. observer says:

Then tell me what i said was BS. or refute it. or dont comment with your assinine comments.

74. Captain aHab says:

Of course we have that ace-in-the-hole power forward Dustin Boyd in the AHL. Him AND Moen for Rick Nash or am I offering too much?

75. observer says: