News of Robinson, Dudley, Doan, Chelios and Brodeur

dudley

Here are a few items worth reading, looking at and listening to.

First, Dave Stubbs — who broke the story Sunday and was right on top of the situation from the outset — had this piece in The Gazette on Larry Robinson signing with the Sharks to be assistant coach under Todd McLellan. Here’s a Q&A with Larry from the Sharks website and it’s clear reading it that one consideration in Robinson making a choice about leaving the Devils and going elsewhere was to be near his grandchildren, who live in Southern California.

— Elsewhere, Rick Dudley, the assistant GM and consigliere for Habs GM Marc Bergevin, spoke on Sunday over Toronto’s SportsNet Radio Fan 590 on a variety of topics. Here’s the link for that interview with Norm Rumack. Dudley discussed the Habs draft — in which he didn’t participate — and a wide variety of other issues.

Asked if the Habs are done with roster moves for the upcoming season, Dudley chuckled and replied, “If the right situation evolves, we’d be certainly interested. We’re a team that wants to win and our owner is committed to that and Marc Bergeron [sic] is committed to that also. So if the right deal existed, whether it’s a trade or a free agent signing — I know there’s not a ton of guys left but there’s a few left that could help a lot of teams — and we’re still looking.” Dudley also comments on a number of team situations around the NHL and it’s worth hearing, if just to get an idea of his grasp of talent around the league.

— One of the free agents who apparently interests the Habs is Shane Doan, the Coyotes captain. He’s postponed exploring his options as an unrestricted free agent until this week to give Greg Jamison, who is trying to buy the Coyotes from the NHL, a chance to see whether the convoluted political, legal and financial situations will line up in his favor. If Jamison’s bid doesn’t look clear to proceed yet by early this week, Doan would be forced to explore his options.

Over the weekend, Sarah McLellan of The Arizona Republic named the Habs as one of the teams that had inquired about Doan with his agent Terry Bross. There could be around a dozen teams chasing him if he decides to move on after spending his entire career with the Jets/Coyotes franchise.

— Chris Chelios’ son Jake is in the Blackhawks prospect camp, which should make you feel old if you remember Chelly playing for the Habs. Jake is 21 and plays defence for Michigan State. Asked if there are any similarities between his style and his father’s, Jake laughed and answered, “The slashing and cross-checking. I don’t know if that works anymore, (but) back in his day that was considered a skilled game.”

Jake was born after Chris was traded to the Blackhawks in 1990 but his brother Dean, who plays forward for Michigan State, was born in Montreal while Dad was still a Hab. Here’s the story on Jake from Chris Kuc of The Chicago Tribune.

Dean is participating in the Red Wings development camp this week where Chris is helping run things.

— As long as we’re talking about sons of future Hall of Famers, Marty Brodeur’s 17-year-old son Anthony is also a goaler and eligible for the Entry Draft next year. He’s been playing at the prestigious Minnesota prep school Shattuck St. Mary’s and, according to NHL.com, he’s currently ranked as a C-list prospect by Central Scouting, meaning he’d go anywhere from the fourth to seventh round next June. Of course, that could change during next season.

Anthony was born in New Jersey but is a dual citizen because his parents were born in Quebec, Marty in Montreal and his mother Melanie Dubois in Saint-Liboire. For hockey purposes, Anthony’s home country is determined once he represents either Canada or the U.S. internationally after his 18th birthday.

On game nights when he was a youngster, Anthony would play goal against other children of Devils players on the tiled floor near the press room and family lounge in the basement of the old Meadowlands Arena. I watched him a few times just knocking around with his peers and he was surprisingly good then for a little guy (and from SportsNet.ca, here’s a photo of him as a 5-year-old a dozen years ago on the ice at the Devils old East Rutherford, NJ home) and he’s clearly pretty good now.

By the way, the Entry Draft next year will be in New Jersey.

That’s the original version.

1. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

REPORT :

SEMIN 1 year deal to PITTSBURGH

2. shootdapuck says:

Anyone putting much credence to the story that TSN 990 is “cooked”?

3. Bripro says:

So TSN990 becomes RDS990?
    What??? I just read the link below.
    What the hell is going on? What will happen with english all-sports, all-day in Montreal?
    This news really sucks!

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

they should just stick all the english in concentration camps while theryre at it

• Chuck says:

Blame the CRTC for their ownership regulations.

___________________________________________________

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

yes must be their fault, G all my life I felt like a second class citizen in this province, simply because i was taught in a different mother toungue then the politicial leaders, and all this time, its the CRTC that needs to be blamed, who knew?!

• boing007 says:

CRTC: Crooks Run The Country.

Richard R
          Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

4. habsnyc says:

Shane Doan, who turns 36 in October, is a physical 20 goal 50-60 point scorer with great leadership skills. Having made the semifinals only once in his 17 year career, it would be idiotic to think he would leave Phoenix to join a rebuilding team. In 2007, he was vilified by Francophone politicians for an alleged racial slur. The chances of him leaving his home in the low tax desert town of Phoenix to move to frozen Quebec with its taxes and meddling politicians to play for one of the worst teams in the NHL are so remote, that the executive who even called Doan should be fired for stupidity. Besides which, Montreal is rebuilding and just does not need to clog the top six with veterans.

More likely, Doan will take a break from hockey and wait four years until he is old enough to play for Dallas.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• LA Loyalist says:

You have obviously never been to Phoenix. There is a maximum security prison on the way in from San Diego, miles of razor wire – only you can’t tell where it ends.

Even the “nice” part, Scottsdale, is a generic subdivision where it routinely hits over 100% and the swimming pools are like soup.

If you played in Phoenix, you would welcome a trade to Edmonton, Phoenix, or, god forbid, Buffalo or Columbus (I’m trying to think of the worst cities, nothing to do with the teams). This is not to mention the horrific Mexican gang problems

There are some nice small enclaves out in the desert if you can handle the heat, but man, nobody is going to go to Phoenix on purpose.

5. joeybarrie says:

Ok now im thinking a lot about it.
    Cole, DD, MaxPac
    Gio, Pleks, Doan
    Bourque, Eller, Armstrong
    Prust, White, Moen

Markov, Emelin
    PK, Gorges
    Kaberle, Bouillon

Not too bad. Move Gomez for some prospects to Pheonix, Dallas (theyll pay Jagr 4.5 million) Nashville (they owe us a favor) or Florida….

I say this team comes in 5th in the East.

• mark-ID says:

I like that lineup….but I also wouldn’t mind having Gionta and Bourque swtich spots. Gionta Eller and Moen making a great shutdown line. Leaving two big wingers with Pleks, just like Desharnais has.

• vegas says:

guys think a bit when you come up with your line combinations

Gio has never played the left side
      Doan has never played the left side
      Moen is more effective on the left side
      Emelin is more effective on the left side
      Kaberle and Bouillon have never played on the right side

Potential line-up if we sign Doan

Max / DD / Cole
      Bourque / Pleks / Doan
      Moen / Eller / Gionta
      Prust / White / Armstrong

Markov / Gorges ( Gorges has been succesful with Markov in the past
      Emelin / Subban
      Kaberle / Bouillon, Diaz, Webber

Has anyone booked their room yet at the Novatel for the Summit? What rate are we getting as members of HI/O?

7. Bripro says:

Speaking of Marinaro….
    He interviewed Blair Mackasey, the Montreal-born director of player personnel for the Wild.
    I would have liked to bring him over as our new coach, but, it was not to be.
    Anyhow, Marinaro asked:
    “What do you tell fans and followers after you’ve gone out and spent over $90MM for each of two top-tier, but perhaps not elite, players?
    What do yo say to them?”
    Mackasey’s answer:
    “You have contracts for Kaberlazy, Scott Gomez and Rene Bourque, with a higher cap than ours for Sutter and Parise. What do you tell the Montreal fans about those contracts?”

Good for you Blair! Shut that buffoon down!

While that is indeed a correct response, (and I can’t stand marinaro) Blair fails to mention his cap hit runs a wee bit longer than the Mtl cap hit to the 3 players mentioned.

• Bripro says:

You’re right Gerry. He didn’t mention it, but it shut Marinaro down anyway, which I think was all he was trying to do.
        I could hear cheering coming from the car next to me.

8. HabsWinn-ipeg says:

Just reading a Chicago blogger stating a rumour of Habs/Blackhawks discussing Pleks for a PACKAGE starting with Hjalmarsson. Nice to hear a rumour with a package being put together for one of our guys, rather than the other way around.

• habsnyc says:

Hjlamarsson has been the subject of rumors as the Hawks were forced to overpay him after he signed an offer sheet with the Sharks. According to ESPN, Chicago was not happy with his play last season. A 25 year old second pair defenseman plus prospects for Plekanec is a reasonable return, but Hjlamarsson may not really be a second pair defenseman.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

9. frontenac1 says:

I don’t buy the conspiracy crap with Mike not wanting Big Bird back. If Mike was worried about his job he would WANT Larry there. Who would replace him? Not Larry(said he would NOT be head coach again) Gallant? He doesn’t speak french(and we know how that works) So ,JJ is really more risk to his job security.Now,on to 9/11 and the New York Mets…..

10. ed lopaz says:

if we could land Doan or Morrow, I might start following this team again.

11. joeybarrie says:

Semin…. Going to Pittsburgh? If we could sign him for a reasonable price on a short term deal. I think it might not be terrible. I agree with the post I read below.

PK…… Hasnt signed a contract. Clearly things have derailed and not going well at all. This clearly means PK hates Montreal and wants to play with his brother in Boston. Or against his brother in Boston with the Maple Leafs. Of Quebec City and start his own team….. CRAZY, relax. He will sign. Nothing is wrong. Just by the fact people are saying there is a problem PROVES to me, nothing is wrong.

Doan…… Sign him if we can. Much better choice than Semin. Best possible thing that can happen to this team right now.

Larry Robinson…. Therrien wanted someone else. Simple. He would be the assistant coach to THERRIEN. So I guess its important that Therrien has the guy he wants. Although I would have loved it. There were 1500 other people who didnt get the job. Robinson happened to be more MY choice, than Therrien’s choice. So I am glad Therrien didnt listen to me cause I also would like to be the Ambassador for the Montreal Canadiens. However much i would love the job, i doubt very much I would be able to do a good job.

Now sign Doan and lets go win a Stanley Cup.

• mksness says:

we don’t have the money to sign any more free agents. and you’re not getting doan or semin for under 4-5M per season; unless you’re willing to move out salary or get rid of gomez.

• joeybarrie says:

Gotta Move Gomez.
        We got 8 million in cap space and 17 centers…. DD, Pleks, Eller, White, Nokie, Leblanc, Gomez.
        We can even keep Gomez and sign both PK and Doan.
        We cant have 14 forwards against the cap, so we get some space sending someone down.

• mksness says:

i thought we had 6.377 cap space left and subban is look at 4-5m a year

• joeybarrie says:

We are at 62.6 million. Cap is supposed to be what??? 71-72 million?
            PK at 4 mill a year
            Doan at 4 mill a year
            Gotta send down Nokie or Leblanc, gives us another 500k to 1.2mill
            Give us 1 million wiggle room for both PK and Doan… Even to overpay.
            Still just have to get rid of Gomez and we are in business.

12. Rudy says:

Anyone read anything today about the petition in Glendale that was supposed to be submitted yesterday? I thought that’s why Doan was waiting to make a decision on anything.

13. Max_a_million says:

Okay after getting the facts that have been presented, I am feeling kind of sick in my stomach about the Larry Robinson business.
    We had a chance to get a Stanley Cup winning coach, a coach with lots of great success as a defensive assistant coach, someone who has won so many cups, has an established history of excellence, is a Montreal legend and one of the greatest players to ever wear the CH. All of this and we let him go. Yikes.
    I hope JJ is great, and truth be told the quality of the players playing probably matters more than the coaching. Still this is a huge loss for no apparent reason. Therrien is the only move I haven’t liked made by MB, and I like it a little less today.

• rnnoble says:

The more I read, the less convinced I am that he would have really come to Montreal. I have no doubt he would have considered it, and that the Canadiens would have been on his short list, but it seems his heart was in California with his grandchildren.

• habsnyc says:

The team did not let him go. The team chose not to offer him employment in any capacity. I have no problem with JJD as an assistant coach. I would have liked the organization to hire Larry Robinson in some advisory capacity. Good organizations find ways to get good people.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

14. commandant says:

I’ve liked Morrow for a long time and always wanted the Habs to have a player like him.

However he had some serious neck and shoulder stuff last year. I’d want to know that isn’t going to effect his game going forward, and it raises questions if Dallas is so willing to let him go.

I’d want a full medical before trading for him.

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
    Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

You bring up a good point Ben, given Dallas already lost the grit of Ott, I fail to undersand why they would be willing to also lose Morrow. Perhaps you are indeed correct and they are suspicious of his long term health and ability to continue playing the style of game which he is most effective at.

• joeybarrie says:

Morrow at 4.1 million dollars for maybe 20-25 goals?
      Throw that money at Semin or Doan if we can, and we wont lose an asset for it.
      Morrow might be a good option at the trade deadline, but as a UFA next year probably a rental.
      Besides, we get Morrow, then Guy Canbonneau want to be involved and Therrien gets angry cause Serge Savard is talking to Bergevin about Carbo and Gainey and we are right back in 2008…

15. habstrinifan says:

OK! I cant stand it .. I gotta post about Tony Marinaro’s interview of Larry’s agent on TSN990.

I will list the “facts based on what I heard”. You make your deductions.

Geoff Molson loved Robinson and often quipped that New Jersey had the “best coach”.

Molson, Bergevin and Michel Therrien had discussed the Robinson option and all seeming agreed that Robinson was the ideal candidate. It was made clear that it would only be as “assistant coach” never a consideration of challenging for Therrien’s job.

Bergevin asked and obtained permission to speak to Robinson.

All three spoke with Robinson separately. Molson. Bergevin. Therrien.

From Robinson’s recall all the conversations were positive and it was unanimous that terms would be worked out.

Robinson mentioned post coaching role as “ambassador.”
    Molson and Bergevin were only ready to deal with the assistant coaching position and rejected this aspect for consideration at the time.

Many conversations followed between Bergevin and Robinson (or his agent) all surrounding the ‘time’ for Robinson to come to Canada and finalised a contract (Yes sounds strangely tedious and ‘delaying’).

And YES YES Robinson seem ‘indisposed’ because of several normally difficult but in this case strangely prohibitive circumstances… storm/car/ etc etc.

Therrien goes out (independently) and interviews JJ and hires him independently. Bergevin did not interview JJ.

Therrien reports to Bergevin that the hire had to be done because JJ’s contract was up and they could lose him.

Bergevin phone Robinson and informed him that Therien had hired “his” assistant coach.

Robinson moved on to accept San Jose’s job. San Jose had been courting Robinson, in the agents word, “showing lots of class and desire and respect and doing everything befitting the pursuit of this hall of famer”.

So there. As I said to Bill it may be nuanced with my prejudices by my wording. But I iterated the factual progession as they were described in the interview.

You draw your conclusions. I think Boone or Stu or Todd or Stubbs would be failing this community if they DO NOT write an article for us on this interview.

I tried my best to listen impassionately and recollect in that same vein… but I honestly couldn’t.

• shiram says:

So it’s all Therrien’s fault, uh?

• ed lopaz says:

my feelings regarding the hiring of Robinson have been stated here for 3 years, and they have not changed.

I’m sorry we did not close the deal.

But sht happens in business, and some important things seem to “slip away”.

I’m happy for Robinson that he will spend more time with his grandchildren.

Spending time with your family is always a good thing.

(crap, I forgot to use paragraphs again!)

• punkster says:

Ya, the Marinated One never exaggerates, never embellishes, and is never wrong. Oh and he’s humble.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• ZepFan2 says:

I call BS! If Larry really wanted the job, it was his. He dilly dallied until it was too late.

Seriously, he has the time to berate a mover, but no time to speak to a possible future employer…I’m not buying it!

———————————————————————-
      “Them summer days, those summer days” – Sly Stone

Hot fun in the Summertime

• The Jackal says:

So you’re angry that the head coach picked his own assistant?
      Think about that for second – the head coach picked his own assistant. As in, the coach picked a guy he thinks he would work with better. You don’t get a guy just because he is interested or is a legend, you get someone who will work best in your team.
      Don’t make this pseudo-scandal for entertainment, enjoy your summer.

Not all oysters produce pearls, thankfully, Price is a pearl producing oyster.

16. frontenac1 says:

Ha! Gomez vs Noke? At least Noke drops the Mitts on occasion and doesn’t snicker on the bench when his team mates are getting the crap beat out of them on the ice.

17. savethepuck says:

Was interesting listening to Dudley’s comments regarding Lars Eller. “He has a high upside and can play all 3 forward positions”. Anyone else take this as a possibility he may not be in the future plans as a Hab center and there may be thoughts of moving him to the wing?

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• habs03 says:

Its hard to predict in a couple of years, but out of all the centres we have in the system, Gally,DD,Plek,Eller, if we were to keep them all, its for sure Eller that would move to wing. (Leblanc is pretty much full time RW now)

• habstrinifan says:

I didnt but you may be right.

• Phil C says:

I take it as a positive statement in that if someone outplays Eller for the centre position, he can be moved to the wing no problem.

It alludes to another thing that Dudley said in that you plan as if the kids won’t make the team, but if they are too good in training camp and you have to find a roster spot for them, you then deal with that problem. Much better than the other way around like the Habs did for a 4th line centre last year.

18. mdp2011 says:

A bombshell in Montreal Radio, for all its faults, TSN990 was pretty good, lets hope it survives.

Looks like TSN990 is dead, Habs games moving to CJAD 800.

Edit:
    Mitch Melnick ‏@HunterZThompson
    TSN Radio 990 will eventually become RDS Radio 690. Montreal Canadiens games-if they are played in 2012-will be heard on TSN 990.C’est tout.

19. neutral says:

I know there’s gonna be a lot whose not going to agree but if we can afford it why not go out and get Semin on a short term deal 2 years 11-mil. sure he lacks motivation but. he has elite talent, he’s young and he’s the only real sniper left out there. our lines could look like this.

Pacioretty – Pleks – Semin
    Cole – DD – Gionta
    Bourque – Eller – Armstrong
    Moen – Gomez/White – Prust

That’s not a bad line up. looks like a playoff team to me.

• shiram says:

That’s because you have not looked at the D! All kidding aside, if he could be had on a short term deal, Semin could be useful.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

Then we’d get a whole bunch of posters on HIO who claimed to know someone who knew exactly what Semin was thinking because they had a fake “in” source. We’d have an artificial “in “Semin nation.

Some St. Louis Blues trade rumour stuff. Also sounds like Brendan Morrow may be available from Dallas. Not sure I understand that from a Dallas perspective. Always liked Morrow as a player.

21. habsfan0 says:

The NHL and NHL Players’ Association will resume negotiations on a new collective bargaining agreement on Tuesday here in Toronto.

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if they surprised all of us and announced an agreement today?

About as likely to happen as Scott Gomez scoring 60 goals with the Habs next season. Uh,actually,come to think of it,Gomez scoring 60 next year is a MUCH more likely scenario.

• Habfan10912 says:

That would be great. Did i read somewhere that Fehr said he would not be against starting the season on time without a new CBA in place or did i dream that?

———————————–

• habsfan0 says:

No, you are correct. But I think without a new CBA in place, it’s quite likely the owners would lock out the players. If that was to happen, I can envision a long work stoppage,possibly endangering the season again.

Perhaps it’s time,in that event, to start discussing our favourite NFL teams here.

“BuffaloBillsinsideout” anyone?

LOL

• songles says:

Fehr is only saying that to preemptively score points with the public/media. The owners would certainly lock the players out without a new CBA.

• savethepuck says:

I have heard it reported several times that Fehr has said it is allowed according to the present CBA to start a season without an official agreement being reached Sept 15th.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

Time is running out for HIO Summit Game Tickets Folks.

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

23. frontenac1 says:

How real is this Doan stuff?

• habs03 says:

I doubt it, just keep his opitions open, but I think he stays out west if he leavs the Yotes. And if he does consider coming east, I think he would want a long term deal 3-4 years, which would be tough since it would be a 35+ contract.

• aj says:

A possible one. As I said before, there’s a possibility he could play along with Carey Price (since they’re cousins) and he could be persuaded to come here. But if it does happen, he’ll be playing probably at around 2-3 yrs maximum.

• commandant says:

Elliot Freidman reported that Doan’s agent was telling every team who called about him the same thing. “Yes Doan is potentially interested in your city. Lets talk”

So I don’t know if what RDS reported means much.

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
      Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

24. wjc says:

The internets…..fretful 50. Hockey’s inside/out and upside down…let me introduce to you the fretful 50

Specializing in rumor, inuendo, and bull shitt. Where a lift of and eyebrow can send the “fretful 50″ into a typing frenzy. Where salary caps, contracts, interviews, and anything hockey is a 24 hour obsession. Where fantasy trades and player signings and projected possible, you never know trades are discussed to exhaustion.

The fretful 50 (because that is how many there are and there alter ego’s and aliases make it seem like there are millions of lunatics out there obsessing about mostly nothing………amen.

wjc

25. HabFanSince72 says:

Is Doan a right wing? If so who does he replace on the top two lines: Gionta or Cole?

Or can one of those three play left wing?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• savethepuck says:

I was wondering the same thing.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• habs03 says:

He plays RW, out of the 3, Cole could play LW, because he is a left hand shot, but he likes to play RW. But If Doan is signed, MTL would just roll 3 lines that play all around 17-18 minutes

Patches-DD-Cole
      Bourque-Plek-Doan
      Moen-Eller-Gionta
      Prust-White-Armstrong/Noke

Gionta getting first unit PP time. The guy is gonna be good for 25-30 goals

• aj says:

Is there a slot for Scott Gomez in your mock-up lineup?

• HabFanSince72 says:

As bad as he is, Gomez has to be preferable to Nokelainen.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• shiram says:

I think that’s debatable, Gomez is south of 50% on faceoffs, while Nokia is at about 53%.
            Gomez has more offensive upside, but that does not necessarly mesh well with the 4th line role.
            Nokia hits more too.

• habs03 says:

I have him slotted as the 1 C for the Bulldogs, with all the young guys that are going to be there, a guy like Gomez will help them out a lot. As much as I hate Gomez, can’t deny that many of the young guys, Eller, DD keep talking about how he helped them.+

• aj says:

@ habs03: I was stating before that Gomez can be beneficial to play for the Bulldogs next season. However, most people here entertain the fact it would be best to dump his contract to Europe. To me, that’s not necessary. He’ll be a great mentor with the young Bulldogs team, minus the comedian side of his in the dressing room.

• commandant says:

If Doan is signed, Gomez is gone because we can’t fit both under the cap.

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
          Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

• shiram says:

Wasn’t Cole’s Oilers season bad because he played off his natural side? That said, I’d also put Gio with Eller.

26. Morenz7 says:

I could listen to Dudley all day. Very glad we got him.

27. bennayd says:

Anyone else disturbed that Dudley seemed to offer higher praise to Rielly than Galchenyuk in the interview? Perhaps he was merely trying to comfort fans confused with the Leafs pick, while Galchenyuk’s talented is uncontested and Habs’ fans love the pick. If he wasn’t simply emphasizing Rielly’s talent to comfort the fans, and was being objective, I don’t know what to think of this. He may have worked on the Leafs draft and can choose to be privately proud of his projections/scoutign, but he did join our management prior to the draft. Not doubting Galchenyuk>Rielly, just a PR thing (not to mention the Marc Bergeron slip).

• Kooch7800 says:

I think you are reading too much into it. No one would have picked Galchenyuk after Rielly. I think he is just saying that Rielly’s potential is also “off the charts” on a Toronto radio show. Galchenyuk has much more potential for greatness and is a big forward…something the habs need.

He did also praise Galchenyuk

Nope not at all. Dudley was being extremely respectful to the Leaf draft pick. Don’t forget Dudley left the Leafs standing at the alter to go work with his buddy Bergevin. Burke was none to happy that Dudley left, and as a result Dudley couldn’t help the Habs with the draft table that day.

Dudley also probably recognizes no need to throw extra pressure on Galchenyuks plates so his praise was straightforward.

The Reilly praise, I viewed as him just showing respect to Burke on a Toronto radio station.

• Max_a_million says:

No way, Dudley acted as though Galy was the best player, and a no brainer. I think the simple certitude was telling.

It was Toronto radio, and he praised every player he talked about.

• Cal says:

The Dudley interview was with TORONTO Sportsnet RadioFan. Context: we don’t give a rat’s ass about the Habs; tell us about the highest Maple laff pick.

Has ELLER signed yet.?

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

29. habstrinifan says:

I have had enough back and forth for the day so I will let someone else expound on the interview between Larry’s agent and Marinaro on the Montreal Forum on team 990.

What do you think of some people on your beloved team now?

• Bill says:

What do you mean? What was said?

Full Breezer 4 Life

• habstrinifan says:

Bill if no one else had listened to the interview I would try and encapsulate the main points later on. It would of course be nuanced by my prejudices. I am sure someone else listened… maybe even Todd or Stubbs or Stu or Boone.

Rest assured that a whole new debate will emerge.

But what else is new?

Personally I thought Stubbs answered and clarified all the issues in his report a few days back. I have moved on already, as has Larry in his move to California.

I am satisfied in the process and especially in how MB did reach out to Larry and has re-opened the door between the Habs and Robinson.

30. habstrinifan says:

Again listen to Larry’s agent on TSN990 now 10:43.

31. habstrinifan says:

Listen to TSN990 RIGHT NOW (10:41AM) re Larry.

32. Chuck says:

Is it official? Are we going forward with ‘Sunbeam’?

___________________________________________________

• Max_a_million says:

PK Sunbeam, I love it.

• Phil C says:

I can see the headlines now:

Sunbeam Subban burns the Leafs again.

Sunbeam index at dangerously high levels for tonight’s game. Bruins should just stay home.

Pk “Sunbeam” Subban: Bringing the dawn of a new era in Montreal

Sunbeam Subban: A ray of light in the dark night of the ’12-’13 season (Too early for this one?)

I like it I think, plus now i know in the future when texting or emailing from blackberrry to expect the autocorrect and accept it!

33. frontenac1 says:

Pk going to the Hawks?Pk going to the Leafs?Therrien hates him? Wow! Dog days of Summer eh? Therrien said a lot of things on AC last year,most of the time he was the only sane one of the bunch. Yeah he said PK should have been bench for some of his bone headed plays,he also called him young, a thoroughbred,a player with immense talent, emotional. He has experience coaching young gifted players Crosby,Malken etc. Mike wasn’t my first choice to coach the Habs,but I’m starting to come around to the idea now. The jury is still out but Marc must have his reasons.

• shiram says:

Therrien might feel differently about PK once he is actually coaching him. It’s one thing to talk about benching and such, but when you’re trying to win games it’s not so easy to bench your best Dman.

34. myron.selby says:

Some opinions on the PK topic:

First off, I think he truly is an exceptional talent. Barring injuries, I fully expect PK to be at least a Norris finalist within the next 2 to 5 years.

On his play last year, it seemed very clear to me that he was playing with a sore back for the whole first half of the season. He was avoiding contact along the boards where the year before he actively sought it out. This affected his whole game as it limited his options.

I didn’t worry about his mistakes nearly as much as some others did, since I put them down to growing pains and being on the steep part of the learning curve, plus playing the toughest minutes on the team. One of the things I really like about PK is you can see him trying to get better all the time, actively listening to coaching advice and applying it.

I love his exuberance and open ice hits. I thought Martin made a horrible mistake by benching him for errors which Gill and others made on a nightly basis without consequence.

The one thing I dislike about PK’s game – I hate his cheap shots. If I were coaching him that’s the stuff that would staple his ass to the bench. I can’t stand all the little spears and slewfoots and other nasty crap. He’s much too good a player to need that kind of Boston Bruins/Philadelphia Flyers nonsense in his repertoire. I’m hoping Markov can convince him to drop this stuff and play with more class.

My prediction for the contract – 2 years at 3.5 to 3.75 per. I don’t think it makes sense for either side to lock him in yet until we see what his upside looks like a couple of years down the road. That still will give us a couple of years of RFA status to buy up along with say 5 to 7 years of UFA on his next strike-it-rich contract.

• ed lopaz says:

Subban’s “cheap shots” are part of his game.

its done purposely to get “under the skin” and “rattle” the opposing player.

Subban plays to win, and he’ll do anything he can to get the slightest advantage, and make winning more likely.

he’s not a fighter, so this is his answer to the toughness of the game.

Chris Chelios was a master at it.

Chelios was the cheap shot king – and it helped make him into a hall of fame type player

• habstrinifan says:

Even Chelios’s son said the same thing about his dad’s game.

• LA Loyalist says:

Point taken, but the game has changed and pk needs to leave that behind.

And yes he could win a Norris

And yes I want Doan. Badly. He would give us fire and focus and his game would up playing in front of full cheering rinks instead of a dump like Garyland.

• myron.selby says:

No quite sure why you put cheap shots in quotation marks. Usually this is used when someone wants to imply that something isn’t true. So are you saying that slew footing and spearing aren’t cheap?

We all despise (quite rightly) Marchand for all the nasty crap he pulls, but somehow it’s not only justified, but positively admirable, when the player wears our colors.

You cite Chelios as someone who was a master at this, and you’re absolutely right. Which is why I couldn’t stand him and was glad when they traded him. Sadly they never got fair value for him, but that’s another topic entirely.

Sorry, but the whole “do anything to win” attitude never worked for me. And really, everyone has a line they won’t cross, it’s just a question of where you draw it. Ask yourself, if it would have been reversed – Max-Pac on Chara, would you have supported him in trying to kill someone? Would you support a Hab 2 handing someone across the mouth? How about kicking them in the face with a skate blade?

There’s always a line.

35. Hobie Hansen says:

Doan, now there is a leader and someone for younger players to look up to. That Jagr nonsense was making me sick.

Doan on a two-year-deal would be cool with me!

36. TomNickle says:

For those below getting into the Jackal = John Jaeckel regarding the Kane information I shared prior to the July long weekend.

I confronted John Jaeckel on this yesterday evening. His “source” emerged from the Twitter universe to call me out of line. Mr. Jaeckel communicated to me who his source’s source was without naming his name but rather by telling me which NHL teams the source had played for.

Either way I remain suspicious that the information was taken from this site and regurgitated back onto that blogger’s website.

Guess I’ll never know for sure and it isn’t that big of a deal either way.

• ProHabs says:

With the internet these days, information gets passed around at a very fast rate. Maybe he stole the information from you, maybe you stole the information from him. Who knows. All we know is that the deal didn’t happen so it was all a rumour with no truth to it. It was good entertainment for a couple of days though.

• The Jackal says:

It’s not me though! Damn interweb and its rumours!!!

Not all oysters produce pearls, thankfully, Price is a pearl producing oyster.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Tom – I want to start off by saying I believe 100% that your rumour was legit.

However, the more certain you appear that Jaeckel cribbed it off you, the more people will doubt the original rumour. If it was true then it’s likely other people heard the same thing. Only if it’s made up would you know for sure where Jaeckel got his info.

And yes, I am bored today.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• LA Loyalist says:

No worries. You made disclaimers. Lots of deals don’t happen that were actually in the works. Maybe we dodged a bullet.

37. Mats Naslund says:

SEPTEMBER 2, 2010.

That is when Carey Price signed his previous contract as an RFA – the EXACT same position that PK Subban is in now. If you can remember that far back – we spent the ENTIRE summer hearing about how Carey was upset in Montreal, how he hated the spotlight, that he liked to party too much, that he didn’t like Quebec, that his mom’s cousin’s friend’s housekeeper heard that negotiations weren’t going well.

Please for the love of all that is holy STOP pretending you know anything about the private negotiations between the Montreal Canadiens and PK Subban. You don’t. Neither does Eklund.

So get over it. PK Subban will take his time to sign because that is the only thing an RFA in his position can do to improve his deal. Almost ALL upper tier RFAs do it every year.

38. galchenyuk27 says:

Ha if you put it that way sunbeams could work lol

39. sane hockey fan says:

So everyone here is saying the PK negos are taking too long, hes not going to sign, blah blah blah… all BS.

Here is an article from a reputed journalist, Dave Stubbs, written on July 1st, all of 9 days ago, in which he states that Subban contract negotiations will begin the week after the 1st of July, I’m assuming the began sometime late last week.

Said article:

But by all means continue the schoolyard bs.

Always enjoy the classic “everyone here is” Some people may say it, but far from everyone.

I for one have no concerns, this is a big contract to get done and will take time. That is not a bad thing, but rather speaks to the importance of the player to the organization.

• sane hockey fan says:

LOL yeah you’re right. “everyone here” is hyperbole, no doubt. But you know what I mean lol, the general conversation over the past 12 hours has revolved around PK not being signed and it bugs me when people just make stuff up.

• shiram says:

But but but, what if Subban does not sign here, and Markov is still hurt and can’t play, and Gorges takes a puck to the groin in pre-season?
        Emelin -Diaz
        Kaberle – Weber
        St-Denis – ??
        now I’m all scared! :p

• ed lopaz says:

Gerald, you make a very interesting point below discussing Anti Chambre and what is said publicly by Therrien and the other “coach wannabees” on that show.

Let me just answer with this; Therrien’s appearances after Martin was fired and everyone knew Cunneyworth was a temp, were like job interviews.

“how would you handle Subban, M. Therrien, in that, or that situation?”

to answer publicly that he would be extra firm and tough on Subban, in my opinion, was more then just “for show”.

but, as usual, you make some excellent points.

40. galchenyuk27 says:

Subban sorry auto correct

41. galchenyuk27 says:

Sunbeams not going anywhere with him we will have the best d in the league for years to come and top 5 goalie how can u complain about that you can loose if you don’t let in any goals
    Subban gorges
    Markov emelin
    Tinordi bealieau
    Ellis
    I for one am very excited and don’t see any player being moved except for potentially plekanec which sucks but he’s our oldest center he’s not the biggest and he has the most trade value maybe we can somehow throw Gomez in a trade that includes plekanec to ;) and this only happens in a package for Ryan or another younger elite LW eller and gally r gonna look excellent as our top centers and we can’t forget DD subban is a key piece in our young rebuild he’s not going anywhere unless where getting a taylor hall or eberle back in return cause Edmonton gets desperate

42. Phil C says:

I thought Dudley was funny when Rumack put him on the spot by asking him about Nashville’s defense for next season. He hesitated at first, then listed every guy in Nashville’s organization that could make the defense this year! That’s the first time I’ve seen his encyclopedic knowledge of players on display, pretty impressive.

I think pro scouting will be juuust a tad better this year. ;)

43. John Q Public says:

What is wrong with everyone. Leave PK alone. It’s as though you don’t watch the games. He’s been in the league 2 years and has made great improvements. He’s still young and adapting to the NHL.
    No team would not want to have him.
    Now if he would shoot the wrister some more I would be happy but other than that WTF.
    The future is bright w/ him on the team.
    As long as the coach’s don’t implement a boring Martin style all should be better (as long as we stay healthy).
    Now if we could get a sniper or 2 or 3!
    The coach’s influence stops when the players are on the ice.
    Players determine the outcome of games not coach’s!

Interesting that only Sportsnet are reporting Semin to Pittsburgh. I can’t find anything on Pittsburgh Post Gazette web, or TSN.

45. Thomas Le Fan says:

I am saluting Steve Nash’s honesty. “There’s really no true loyalty in sports.” He never intended to go to the Raptors and I don’t believe Larry Robinson, despite saying differently, had any intention of “coming home”. I don’t blame them, you go where the money is in professional sports because they’ll dump you as soon as you lose a step. Fans’ wishes don’t count.

• HardHabits says:

Robinson went to California to be close to his grand-children. Case closed.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Is that intended as refutation or agreement? The guitar recital is over. Case closed.

• HardHabits says:

Well. As far as Nash is concerned, maybe he did intend to go to the Raptors but playing with Kobe not to mention the sun and dollars made for a better attraction.

Same goes for Robinson. I said what I said more for those who claim that Robinson didn’t come to the Habs because Therrien was against it. I find that idea laughable.

So in effect, I am in agreement, with a caveat of course.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

toinz, I believe he was supposed to somehow show loyalty to Canada by signing with the Barneys. I don’t get it either.

46. twilighthours says:

Habintrini or anyone else, who is th Ex-habs management guy who has publicly said something negative about subban and what did he say?

I must have missed that

47. habstrinifan says:

Pmaraw, I am repeating your post here in order to reply to it. The discussion so far on the post which I originally authored has been totally classy. Properly questioning and extrapolating and calling me out. I EXPECTED it all and think it is what HIO excels at.

But your posts is so STUPID! Yes I repeat STUPID!

There are two explanations for you to draw the conclusions that you did based on anything in the ENTIRE thread.

The more optimistic one is that you are an abject fool for then a library card and a couple books may prove redeeming.

The other is more abhorrent to contemplate.
    ===========================================
    Pmaraw says:
    July 10, 2012 at 6:06 am:

okay, now you’re making pop subban out like he’s a) selling drugs b) heavy into the prostitutes or c) selling drugs.

============================================

Halpern signs with Rangers for one year, 700,000.

• Lafleurguy says:

Suggests there are holes in the Ranger line-up. Halpern did yeoman service for us, but now he is older, and willing to play with a paycut.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Cal says:

A little more depth for the Rangers. You can never have enough good defensive centers considering the insane injury rates in the NLH now.

• 24 Cups says:

LG – I don’t know. We have just as many holes and probably could have used a guy like Halpern (last year and maybe this year). I can’t say Nokia is any better.

Bergevin made a mistake not shoring up the middle. The laffs got McClement for two years at 1.5 a season.

• Greg says:

We actually have quite a few guys that can play center. Gomez (just sayin’), Pleks, DD, Eller, White, Noki… with callups like Leblanc and Geoffrion also as natural centers. Add in Galchenyuk potentially, definitely next year… I’m not sure a guy like Halpern is necessary.

• 24 Cups says:

White, Leblanc and Geoffrion seem to have been re-tooled for the wing. If they play centre it’s a sign the team is once again in trouble down the middle. As well, no 4th liner can be paid 7.3M.

I thought it might have been beneficial the past few years to have some flexibility with a guy who can really win faceoffs and kill penalties as our spare forward to back up the guy with the same attributes who would hold down the 4th line pivot position.

If Nokia gets hurt, we’re once again in trouble. I just hope we don’t have to trade an asset or a pick to plug the gap.

• Greg says:

Yeah I see what you mean. I think Leblanc is playing wing only because he was a ways back on the depth chart behind Eller, and had to be put in a (somewhat) scoring position. I’m not sure I agree with the statement “if Nokia gets hurt, we’re once again in trouble”. Hopefully we can survive the injury of our 13th forward.

Also, no 4th liner can be paid $7.3M… true. But no top 9 center can have 2 goals/season. So something’s gotta give.

• commandant says:

Leblanc is playing wing because his skill set makes him a natural winger.

He was poor on faceoffs in the QMJHL, and he is much more a scorer than a playmaker. He is also good on the boards, (though he needs to put on weight this summer to improve that).

Hamilton sucked at Centre last season, yet despite that Leblanc was used exclusively at RW. This should be a sign of his future, as is the fact he played wing for Team Canada.

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
            Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

49. ed lopaz says:

Subban is very young, but he is already an elite player by NHL standards.

There is Markov and then there is Subban on this team.

(Gorges is a leader but not an “elite” talent skill-wise)

Subban was used as an elite, 1st line defenceman by Martin, but he

was reminded – whenever he made a mistake – that he

was young and he could be reprimanded, or benched.

Funny, I don’t remember Markov ever being sent to the press box for

making mistakes on the ice – and Markov was not a perfect player as

young defenceman, nor is he perfect today.

Therrien supported the “benching” on Anti Chambre, and called for

more of the same early last season – even when Martin did not.

I’m not saying Subban should not be “coached”.

Of course, he has so much to learn and so much more to improve,

coaching Subban properly will be one of the most important factors

in leading to our next Cup.

But Therrien is the ONLY “potential” continuation from the previous

regime when it comes to Subban, and I’m sorry to say, he may even

be worse.

Therrien was adamant that Martin and Cunneyworth were being too

soft on Subban – that they needed to crack down even harder on him.

Some people, some players, just do not appreciate this “style”.

Whether it works or not, depends on the coach and the player.

But Subban strikes me as the type of person who understands when

he has made a mistake – always taking responsibility publicly – and

very much like Price and Pacioretty, Subban needs to be treated as

a leader on this team.

He needs to behave as a leader first and foremost.

But then he needs to be treated as a leader by the coach.

That means “mistakes’ are corrected privately, behind closed doors.

I think this is a “potential” problem going forward, because Therrien

is a hot head, a selfish man, and someone who enjoys the media

spotlight.

I hope this never becomes an issue during the season.

Just bringing it up because there are Subban contract talks this morning.

• HardHabits says:

Dude. Learn paragraph structure and dump the double spacing. I wont even read that.

• twilighthours says:

Too bad, because it was good stuff

• punkster says:

Use an apostrophe for contractions…as in won’t, don’t, etc.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Luke says:

Funny. As I was reading (most) of it, all I really learned was that formatting can make or break a point.
        I’m not sure what the total point was, but seems like “Therrien is going to mishandle PK” was the jist. I’d prefer to let him screw PK up first before we start blaming him for screwing up PK.

• HardHabits says:

I buckled down and read it. And after perusing the comment I have to laugh. PK had a major hand in the Habs crappy start last season. He gave up the puck late in the game numerous times that resulted in a goal against which resulted in a lost game. Looking at his give-away versus take-away rating should sound alarm bells. PK is an extremely talented player. But he needs to concentrate on keeping the puck out of his own net first and foremost, well ahead of trying to single handedly win a game.

As far as Therrien is concerned. I hope he doesn’t treat any player with kid gloves or favouritism, including Price. That was the way things were done in the Gainey/Gauthier/Martin regime.

Talent must be nurtured not wasted but at the same time a carrot/stick approach is needed to avoid bad habits. It’s sometimes more difficult to unlearn bad behaviour than it is to learn good behaviour.

• Kfourn says:

PK matured over the season.

• Coach K says:

Gentlemen please,

P.K. may have had a hand in the “crappy start” last season but so did everyone on that roster; including the bench staff. We need to remind ourselves that he is indeed, very young and was being asked to play the role of a shutdown defenceman which, I would suggest does not suit his particular skill set.

I believe, that due to circumstances beyond his and the team’s control, he was put in a position to fail by his coaching staff and management. Does he have a few areas of his game that need improvement? Of course! Who wouldn’t at that age? Consider instead, how well he performed on a last place team with no dedicated defensive coach. The fact that he played as well as he did should give all of the wannabe coaches in HIO land pause. Cut the kid some slack for crying out loud!

—–“This is the only thing that has seen more parties than us.”—–
            Steven Tyler, Aerosmith’s lead singer, after admiring the Stanley Cup…

• Bill says:

You have never been more wrong. Your first paragraph … I don’t know what you’re talking about.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• toinz says:

(While HH was a little harsh, here is what that post looks like spaced properly.)

I just read a few posts from you guys about Subban, so I figured I would add my 2 cents. Subban is very young, but he is already an elite player by NHL standards.

There is Markov and then there is Subban on this team. (Gorges is a leader but not an “elite” talent skill-wise) Subban was used as an elite, 1st line defenceman by Martin, but he was reminded – whenever he made a mistake – that he was young and he could be reprimanded, or benched.

Funny, I don’t remember Markov ever being sent to the press box for making mistakes on the ice – and Markov was not a perfect player as young defenceman, nor is he perfect today.

Therrien supported the “benching” on Anti Chambre, and called for more of the same early last season – even when Martin did not. I’m not saying Subban should not be “coached”. Of course, he has so much to learn and so much more to improve, coaching Subban properly will be one of the most important factors in leading to our next Cup.
        But Therrien is the ONLY “potential” continuation from the previous regime when it comes to Subban, and I’m sorry to say, he may even be worse.

Therrien was adamant that Martin and Cunneyworth were being too soft on Subban – that they needed to crack down even harder on him. Some people, some players, just do not appreciate this “style”. Whether it works or not, depends on the coach and the player.

But Subban strikes me as the type of person who understands when he has made a mistake – always taking responsibility publicly – and very much like Price and Pacioretty, Subban needs to be treated as a leader on this team.

He needs to behave as a leader first and foremost. But then he needs to be treated as a leader by the coach. That means “mistakes’ are corrected privately, behind closed doors. I think this is a “potential” problem going forward, because Therrien is a hot head, a selfish man, and someone who enjoys the media spotlight.

I hope this never becomes an issue during the season.
        Just bringing it up because there are Subban contract talks this morning.

• Mad Habber says:

I hope you are wrong about Therien/Subban relationship. Benching PK is and was a stupid move by Martin. I don’t get why Martin thought it was such a good idea to bench him. What does it accomplish but install a fear of making a mistake? Do the coaches really want this guy wondering thinking about what is going to get him sitting on the sidelines, watching the three stoogies make worse mistakes than him?

• twilighthours says:

I disagreed with the benching too but sometimes it’s done to manage the room. If the other players feel like pK is out of control and hurting the team, the coach better do something or he risks pissing off every player.

• Lafleurguy says:

Plus one. Being a young defenceman in the Habs organiztion has always been difficult and challenging. Larry Robinson received boos as a 21 year old (Juniors were drafted as 20 year olds back then). Serge Savard was in and out of the press box as a young D-man. He often only got penalty kill ice-time (as a forward), and scored some brilliant short-handed goals! The biggest burden Montreal fans put on their stars is to expect them to play mistake-free.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Phil C says:

I share your concern that I hope Therrien is not too heavy handed with some the young players. It will work on some, but not others. Martin always treated the players the same which I never liked.

Wasn’t Therrien the coach when Markov came into the league? Therrien also gave Crosby the C in Pittsburgh, so I think he is not afraid to put trust in young players if they show leadership skills. Subban still displays “me first” behaviour, so I’m not sure he is ready for a leadership role. I would just let him play hockey at this point in his career.

It was unfortunate that Subban had to play 1/2 defensemen minutes last year because the D was so weak. As a result he was over-exposed early in the season. But about half way through the season, the light seemed to go on for Subban and I thought he started playing within himself and added a toughness edge to his game which helped define him as a player. The coaching staff probably deserves some credit for that.

• Mustang says:

I have been away for a few days so I have no idea what has been said here about PK. However my opinion has been, and continues to be, that PK is a very talented young player that needs to learn how to focus his attention so as to be able to maximize the return on his efforts. He is young and I think that some of his youthful enthusiasm may detract from his game. The pairing with Hal Gill was great. An experienced mentor cannot but help his development into a premier NHL defenceman.

Ed, I wonder how much on L’antichambre is truly relevant. I have mentioned to you before that due to my lack of french I do not watch the show. Having said that, these ex-coaches have a complete reputation for being out-spoken and out-landish in their reactions to all things Habs. I am not doubting Therrien spoke as you say he did, but how much of that was a result of him being a talking head and talking tough from a media members chair.

When Bergevin hired Therrien, he spoke specifically about the positives and negatives of Therriens coaching in both Montreal and Pittsburgh. MB has spoken of how PK is one of the cornerstones of this team to build around. I am going to wait cautiously and see how indeed MT handles PK. Also, I am eager to see how JJ does as the defence coach. His track record in the Rangers organization seems well regarded.

I respect and understand the caution you speak of, but MB will also be making sure his coaches are building this team not breaking them down.

Good Post Ed.

• PK is young, but I don’t consider him an elite. He made daily rookie mistakes that was so painstakingly obvious that you could hear fans thousands of miles away screaming “what are you doing! He should be paid as per the organization’s structure and past signings.

I don’t know PK personally, so I’m not sure how he and the rest will react to Therrien. However it is 2012, and from experience, the way to get the most out of your team whether it is your sports team, work, or family, is to respect them, and ensure all learn from their mistakes. Teach them what you know, keep them motivated without belittling them and ensure they understand their role.

No one wants a drill Sgt as a coach. Those days are over.

Great read though Ed.

They Call Me Shane
      “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
      Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• Luke says:

One thingh I noticed from PK later last season was that he was starting to use the Scott Gomez break out rush:

1) Pick up the puck in the defensive zone.
        2) Carry puck at full speed through Neutral Zone, but don’t move it to anyone ahead of you.
        3) Force them to stop at the blue line.
        4) Cross blueline, stop, curl and look for someone skating hard to pass to.
        5) Wonder why everyone is standing still at the blueline.

• commandant says:

The guy played 25 minutes per game against the other team’s top lines and was a +9. This despite playing on a 28th placed team. He was also on the ice for 7 EN Goals against this season (further hurting his +/-).

How many mistakes did he really make?

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
        Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

• Phil C says:

Subban was -3 in the month of October and was still a minus player by the end of December. But he was +6 in the month of March alone. IMO, he was a different player in the second half of the season even though his minutes and the team’s results did not change. That’s why I am so pumped for this season because I think Subban will emerge as a true elite defenseman. I hope they sign him long term now because it will be a lot more expensive in two years.

• JF says:

Therrien did excellent work with some of the Penguins’ young players, both in Wilkes-Barry and in Pittsburgh, so for the moment I’m not too worried about how he’ll handle Subban.

• Bill says:

If Therrien blows it with the young talent, every other good move Bergevin made will be undone.

Full Breezer 4 Life

50. commandant says:

More hockey pool stuff.

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
    Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

51. Kfourn says:

I’m reading rumours on other Fan sites (T.H.I reporting it) that a trade of:

to MTL:

Hjalmarsson
    Frolik
    Stalberg

To Chicago:

Bourque
    Weber
    Kristo

with picks going either way is on the table.

This seems pretty good to me…

• Caper says:

Frolik has struggled for the last three years. I’ll take the other two and a pick or prospect

• FishOutOfWater says:

this will never happen

• Habfan17 says:

I think it would be good for both teams. I had thought that last season they should trade for Stalberg. Frolik had 3 points in 4 games in last years playoffs and although he had a down season last season, he would be good on the 3rd line left side. Stalberg would fill the 2nd line left wing spot and then Eller and Pleks would have some decent wingers. A 3rd line of Frolik, Eller and prust would be good, a little bit of everything . I had thought Prust would be a 4th line player but in the interview with Dudley, he mentioned they view him as a 3rd line player. That would leave Moen, White and Armstrong on the 4th line. The DD line could stay together and Pleks would have Stalberg and Gionta. A nice balance of talent and size on each line with the added grit of Armstrong and Prust. Halmerstrom would add some size and experience on the back end.
      A trade that actually makes sense for both teams!

Habfan17

• 24 Cups says:

I’m not sure how this trade makes sense for Chicago. They get a long term contract on a guy who runs hot and cold. They also receive a defenseman who couldn’t make the D of one of the worst teams in the NHL. A good puckmover who is a lightweight. Lastly, they pick up a 2nd round prospect who in entering his fourth year of school and could walk like Schultz at the end of June. Fast skater but a lightweight, as well.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

That doesn’t look believable to me.

• DCH says:

If we executed that deal, we’d be robbing Chicago blind. No way Bowman goes for it.

52. Marc10 says:

Semin to Pitts according to Sportsnet…

Just as an fyi as it relates to the PK talk further down in the thread. Teachers Pension of Ontario no longer have ownership of the Maple Leafs. They sold their entire interest in Maple Leaf Sport and Entertainment to Bell and Rogers. Larry Tannanbaum is essentially the point man in the organization just as he was prior to the sale of Teachers shares.

As a person who works for a company owned primarily by Teachers Pension, they typically do not take an active position in the businesses they own. They have specific ROI (return on investment) expectations and so long as the companies they own are providing this rate of return they are happy.

I find Trins comments interesting, moreso because most of the apparant frustration was with the previous mgmt. regime. We have replaced that group and it seems quite obvious to me that the new group is a very open minded team who value players thoughts and opinions. If indeed PK’s mother was concerned about PK’s treatment, I would think a couple of meeting with Bergevin, Dudley, Mellanby and others would ease the concerns and allow her to be happy for her son playing in Montreal.

Agents like Meehan are always going to play their cards close to the vest and only say things which will help their negotiation. Obviously this signing isn’t a quick no brainer as PK’s camp knows he is incredible upside. MB has to be careful in that he will want to sign PK to a contract but not overpay for potential. PK is not yet at the level of Karlsson or Suter but MB can’t sour the negotiations either.

I am confident MB will get a deal done which is fair to both parties, without hurting any egos.

Listening to Dudley is so refreshing, one gets the impression if MB suddenly is made aware of a player being on the trade block Dudley will quickly be able to give MB a full rundown of the players up and downsides.

Even better is these people are empowered by MB in letting them talk to the media.

What a refreshing new mgmt team we have!

• Lafleurguy says:

Bang on about a much improved level of respect and tact with Marc Bergevin’s management team. It was predictable that P.K.’s contract was going to be tougher to work out compared to Carey’s in that C.P. had much more leverage. Fewer peer group goalies to do a comparison, and much less subjective opinion on level of skill and development than with a 22 year old defenceman. Could P.K. be a Norris trophy winner in the future? Possibly. But remember Wade Redden who Glen Sather (him again!) gave three years at 18.9 million, 12.6 of which was earned playing in the minors.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• habstrinifan says:

Lafleurguy, I am going to quote some of the phrasing you used.

Listen with the intuitively protective ears of a mother to the “subjective opinion on…. level of …development” and you would grasp the concern relayed to me. I mean almost every hockey fan and analyst has “wondered aloud” at how “happy” the Canadiens are with P.K and only one Canadien official (now ex) has ever come out and unequivocally addressed that.

Now again a mother will ignore any hockey reality while ‘worryin’ about her son’s happiness. And this really is the gist of my information.

And oh to HabinBurlington! If your company had their ‘pre-investment review’ done anytime within the last two years then quite possibly you may have sat around the board table with my “source”.

• Lafleurguy says:

Hi Trini! Had to go back to read what you posted earlier. I have a straight forward reaction to P.K. I am a big fan of his. Of the new “Big Three,” P.K., Carey, Max, I feel the biggest thrill and satisfaction with P.K. feats (hit on Marchand, game 7 game tying goal before Horton scored in OT, etc.). It would be a travesty if Habs don’t lock him up long-term. My favorite off-ice souind byte of P.K.’s was that of him kidding around with John Tavares during a WJHC championship. They came across as close buds despite P.K. playing for the Bulls, and JT playing for the Knights.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Lafleurguy says:

P.S. P.K. is going to continue to get better, and he’s good, no, excellent already.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Gumper Knows Best says:

Even though it’s a RFA contract, I would bet it’s the term holding things up.I believe he still has 4 years of RFA status so the habs control at least until new CBA details and no one is doing offer sheets. Go short 2 years to get a better feel? Go long and past RFA status? How many years of UFA status is PK willing to give up and what price moving forward.Tough to project and you know Meehan is going to go very high

If Calgary gives Dennis Wideman 5 years @ $5.25, how does PK numbers project? Then you have Matt Carle @ $ 5.5 and we won’t even talk Suter numbers that Meehan is probably looking at and PK never played with a Shea Weber.

• PK should receive the exact same deal as Carey did two years ago. He’s no more important than that. From PK’s side they’re probably saying you’re nothing without PK. Montreal counters with, we’re more than happy with the direction and no one player will hinder that. Two years, 2.5 (maybe 3) it is. That’s leaves the org with the basic millions to sign the stragglers.

They Call Me Shane
        “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
        Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures

54. Lafleurguy says:

Has anyone heard anything about Lars Eller?

“May you live in interesting times.”

55. Marc10 says:

I enjoyed the Rick Dudley interview. His off the cuff breakdown of Nashville’s post Suter D was impressive. I’m glad He’s on our team.

56. Gumper Knows Best says:

From today’s Journal de Montreal regarding the P.K. Subban negotiations.
    Moreover, Don Meehan does not seem too optimistic about the speed with which both groups could reach an agreement.
    When asked, “Is there a chance that it will be resolved this week?” Meehan said, “I doubt it.”

What can it all mean?
    Different sources report Subban on Crescent Street singing I Left My Heart in Dixie, while Shea Weber’s housekeeper just called in to report Weber received the Rosetta Stone How To Learn French with the 30 day money back guarantee.

The best source is the cousin of the step son of Shea Weber’s travel agent. Oh I’ll leave it at that, but pay very close attention to Weber’s work out guru who has shares in Molson Coors.
    This just in. Subban was seen at the movie rental store where he took out the movie Nashville and a google search spy reports Subban downloading information about the grand ole Opry

57. pmaraw says:

Rene Bourque ‏@rbourque17
    Account hacked ignore all tweets.

rofl who hacked Bourque’s twitter account, rofl!

58. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

if we get doan, life gets better

59. christophor says:

HIO’s The Jackal = Hockeybuzz’ John Jaekel?

Got the Kane-Plek rumour here and was back and forth with TomNickle about it until Tom was suspicious.
    Now he’s pressing for info on the Subban rumour so he can update his little blog?

• GrimJim says:

Nice detective work, if you’re correct

• The Jackal says:

LOL, sure am, not. I just think if you’re going to post a rumour like that you should not be ambiguous or vague. I’m sure Tom’s post was accurate, but you don’t just take that information at face value. As for Trin’s post, it’s easy to make a connection to the Leafs with his last sentence of the original post. Anyway, making claims like that and not providing a clear source or just being vague is being Eklund. Saying something like “I know someone close to the Subban camp” would be enough and better than hinting at the teachers’ pension fund.

Jackal, Jaekel, I see what you did there, but your detective work would have been much shorter if you just looked at my HIO profile.

Not all oysters produce pearls, thankfully, Price is a pearl producing oyster.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

What information in your HI/O profile disproves his theory?

• The Jackal says:

Well, different names, member since 2008, which means I’d have been scouring this site for Habs rumours since then and not just this summer, and I post on stuff other than rumours.
          Either way, I see how he made that connection.

Not all oysters produce pearls, thankfully, Price is a pearl producing oyster.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

My name isn’t really “Sean Bonjovi”, it’s Dave Bonjovi, but you can’t tell that from my HI/O profile. If my profile said my real name was Richie Seanbora, that wouldn’t prove that my name wasn’t really Dave Bonjovi. Also “Member since 2008″ only proves what it says, but in the end it makes no difference to me, so whatever, just sayin’.

• Price07 says:

I heard Subban and Pleks and maybe a pick for Kane. I find it too much, I find Subban and Pleks is a lot, thats 2 very solid players!

60. Adidess says:

Sorry Trini on IPhone, will do just one final reply.

My one line summary of your post is that PK’s parents have some discomfort with the treatment of their son in Montreal, especially the previous regime and bashing at the hand of the antichambre crew. But because you brought this up in the context of a discussion around lenghty contract talks, the inference is this may be one thing holding up negotiations. Well, what would a team do with a young player whose parents are seeking to meddle in contract discussions.

I know how it must feel to get your thoughts distorted even the slightest. But thing is once you put something like this out there, you can’t control how it’s going to be read or interpreted.

61. galchenyuk27 says:

Subbans not going anywhere it’s going to be
    Patches DD cole
    Bourque plekanec gionta
    Eller galchenyuk Armstrong
    Prust white moen
    Gomez maybe!!
    Subban gorges
    Markov emelin
    Kaberle bouillon\tinordi
    Tinordi is going to make it strictly cause he’s gonna b the big body the Habs are looking for and yes galchenyuk is going to train his butt off all summer and impress everyone plus he will have some decent line mates to play with and eller can finally have a solid line

62. JayK-47 says:

Eklund reporting PK refusing to sign with Habs and requested trade (E4).

EDIT: Subban requested to be traded to the Leafs.

• Steven says:

That’s a ridiculously easy reporting to make considering the time it’s taking. And the E4 just sounds like it’s a way out, kinda like: Oh, well it wasn’t for sure.

You shouldn’t take what Eklund says seriously(As I’m sure you haven’t). Subban’s RFA means he plays here or nowhere(or we could trade him and get some great return, although that doesn’t do much for us besides moving laterally).

On that breath, though, everyone’s forgetting that Price signed in August or something last year. We’re in early July right now, it’ll get done.

• pmaraw says:

subban is not at liberty to make trade requests to specific teams.

• DCH says:

Eklund is a bag of trash. He can’t predict his way out of a wet paper bag.

…and as an RFA Subban can’t request bullsquat. Habs could trade him to exile in Pheonix, for all he wanted.

63. Adidess says:

The thing is no matter the source for this nugget, it can only be a rumor. Unless Trini can say he’s talked to a Subban or a resident of the Subban household, it’s at best a third-party source, therefore not too reliable.

Trini, you shouldn’t take this personally. It is to be expected that posters here would be wary of unsourced rumors in wake of the Pleks-Kane hysteria. You would be too if you weren’t the one posting this.

Sometimes even relatives can make up stories just to show they’re in the know or because they confuse their perception with reality, so who knows? I would only trust the agent or a Subban with this kind of information.

• habstrinifan says:

I agree with everything you say. May I ask one question though. If someone were to ask you to put in one sentence what my post supposedly revealed… what would you say?

One poster (maybe understandably) but absolutely incorrectly deduced that I was talking about a trade of Subban to the Leafs.

I am going to repeat. I did not mention any trade scenario.

• The Jackal says:

Well when you put the current owners of the Leafs it’s an easy connection. Either way, if this information is true its just a detail that will be ironed out.

Not all oysters produce pearls, thankfully, Price is a pearl producing oyster.

• christophor says:

Go back to Hockeybuzz, John.

• pmaraw says:

ya, read properly, he hinted at being part of or knowing someone in the front office of the teachers pension fund. which would be his source of this info, water cooler talk at the office? working for hockeybuzz, I can see how you would think that means ‘trade’. but it really just means thats where he heard his story about the subban family from.

the funniest part is when you ask him afterwards where he got this story from.

also if this is watercooler talk from the teachers pension fund then that is just as funny since it most likely means that BB is blowing more hot air in their sails.

• GrimJim says:

In one sentence, I would summerize your post as “the reason PK’s negotiations are taking so long is that one member of the family is upset at some of the past comments (or lack of) and actions of members of the Habs org and wants to make sure PK is protected”.
        BTW, about your comment that you qu estion whether Meehan has really been too busy to work on PK’s contract, I just want to point out some of meehan’s clients:
        Zach Parise, Moen, Armstrong, Prust, Bouilon, Danny Syvret, Matt Taormina, Jordon Tootoo, Jeff Woywitka, Kristian Huselius, Ryan Stoa, Marc Mancari, Andrei Kostityn, Sergei Kostityn

64. Adidess says:

Stu has Marc Bergeron in the piece twice. On the IPhone version, the change has yet to register…

65. sreuel says:

The only way Doan will play here is a butt load of money. But who is making a butt load of money already on the Habs and not doing a thing

66. galchenyuk27 says:

Dudley is the man stoked on him being on the team and doan would b so nice to have but the only way we get him is if Gomez is gone

67. Les-Habitants says:

That’s the first time I’ve had a chance to listen to Rick Dudley…wow, I’m impressed. Very thorough knowledge of the different teams, their players, and prospects. The fact that he’s running the team with Marc is awesome.

68. Adidess says:

I thought the Habs GM was Marc Bergevin, and not Bergeron. But I could be wrong!

69. aj says:

I hope Subban’s contract offer will be finalized this week. All of that hype since Free Agency is causing too many delays. Other that, I hope the Habs DO sign Doan if there is still money in Cap Space left. This team needs a veteran like him if possible.

70. JayK-47 says:

So… If DD gets moved to LW like Commandant is predicting that gives us…

DD – Galchenyuk – Cole
    Patches – Eller – Gionta

as the Habs top 6 with Colberg and Gallagher enroute to replace Cole and Gionta after the Stanley Cup win of 2013.

What to do with Pleks? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm………

• aj says:

Galchenyuk is too early to play in the big leagues right now. This is not Edmonton Oilers style where rookies be sent to the front lines. We have to wait for this kid to grow patiently.

• JayK-47 says:

I’m mostly kidding at that line-up and Stanley Cup win.

But I do think the Habs have a real asset in Pleks to secure a solid defender or LW if another team were to come along. I remember Gainey hit up Sather in a little heard of trade that happened a couple years ago. I can’t remember the specifics but I see the Habs making a similar move.

71. stevieboy says:

Welcome back. Mazel tov.

Stevie

72. habstrinifan says:

The Subban to Chicago is one hundred percent false. But there is some dissatisfaction in the Subban camp, particularly Mom Subban who is making Pop Subban get seriously involved in any sit downs with P.K and Don Meehan.

One thing to consider is that while Pop Subban is a huge huge fan of the Canadiens Mom Subban was not a huge fan of the previous regime.. except for Bob Gainey. Pop Subban has told many many friends of his re his admiration (and surprise) that Bob Gainey WAS THE ONLY HAB.. I REPEAT THE ONLY HAB who came to Subban’s defence wholeheartedly when people like Richards were making comments and people like Martin was absolutely mealy mouth about it. Also know that Mom Subban is NOT A FAN of the put down that his son received on L’Antichambre especially a certain staff member .

People who are saying that Don Meehan ‘has been busy’ and could not attend to Subban’s contract cant really be serious… I mean listen to that excuse really.

Pay very close attention to Meehan’s statement that he is sitting down with Subban (and his DAD).

My info… think Teacher’s Pension Fund head office .. all I can say.

• The Jackal says:

Can you link some sources for these statements please?

Not all oysters produce pearls, thankfully, Price is a pearl producing oyster.

• jols101 says:

Interesting Post, sounds like you have some good inside knowledge.

It is never good when parents get involved in their kids contract negotiations. Can anyone say Eric Lindros.

Are you suggesting the Habs are looking at trading Subban to the Laffs? That would be heart breaking…

• habstrinifan says:

Not one hint about a trade to the Leafs in my post. Not one hint about a trade really. Just a family, actually a MOM, concerned, for her son’s happiness… and yes her concern may be exaggerated but she is voicing it and it plays into stuff.

• The Jackal says:

Can you tell us where you got this from, at least cite something?

Not all oysters produce pearls, thankfully, Price is a pearl producing oyster.

• jols101 says:

So whats your line about The Teachers Pension Fund all about. Not being argumentative just asking for a little clarity. You are a little cryptic…

• habstrinifan says:

Ok.. I see now. The Teachers pension Fund does own the Leafs (I think they still do.. in fact that came up as an aside but only a separatedly tangential aside) but are trying to unload them.

The Leafs were never in my thoughts while I was writing and nothing said to me or anyone who spoke to me had any relationship with the Leafs.

I apologize for the ‘connection’ you made.

Remember Pop Subban is a school principal of long standing and various ‘extra curricular’ activities.

• pmaraw says:

• jon514 says:

Teacher’s sold MLSE to Rogers…

“This Team is Less than the sum of it’s parts while Gomez is one of those parts.”

• Adam says:

I’m sorry, but whenever somebody says “All I can say,” it usually means they’re making up whatever preceded it.
      I’d be curious as to why this is “All you can say.”

• habstrinifan says:

My first response was a knee-jerk who cares. But I am going to be calm and understand your point of view or doubts whatever.. and tell you that truthfully that perception really does not affect my feelings for what I wrote and particularly, very particularly, how I wrote it.

• Adam says:

Sorry if that came across as confrontational. Wasn’t my intention.
          I work as a freelance journalist, and my first instinct is to express doubt about anything unless I can see that it can be backed up.
          Still, I’d be interested in why this is “All you can say.” Knowing that goes a long way towards establishing credibility.
          Not saying you’re lying. Just saying I have no way of knowing if you’re being truthful, either.

• The Jackal says:

Agreed. He doesn’t really mention or make clear where he gets this info. The only thing that he points too is the Leafs, some someone he knows in the Leafs organization?
        Sounds like goat feed to me.

Not all oysters produce pearls, thankfully, Price is a pearl producing oyster.

• habstrinifan says:

Where do I point to the Leafs … wow!

Edite: I answered the question above. I was at a loss for a while since the LEAFS never even crossed my mind.

• The Jackal says:

“My info, think Teacher’s Pension Fund head office… all I can say…”
            The owners of the Leafs, an allusion to the Leafs, that’s what it reads like. Anyway, your reluctance to provide any more information just points to BS, your idleness is showing.

Not all oysters produce pearls, thankfully, Price is a pearl producing oyster.

• Cal says:

All I can say is it’s July 10th and HIO’s rabid fans are making Skyscrapers out of a few bricks. Relax! The deal will get done, even if Mommy Subban doesn’t like it. By the way, why in hell would she be watching Anti-Chambre, anyway?

• boing007 says:

Maybe PK doesn’t like the idea of playing for MT?

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

73. ZepFan2 says:

Who’s Marc Bergeron? I’m pretty sure it’s Bergevin.

———————————————————————-