Daily briefing: Newly signed Travis Moen true to his roots

Travis Moen

Travis Moen will call Montreal home for four more years.
Mike Stobe, NHLI via Getty Images

So how did Canadiens forward Travis Moen celebrate his four-year, $7.4-million Canadiens contract on Friday? He took his family to the Swift Current Frontier Days Fair & Rodeo: midway rides, cotton-candy… the works. And then, back home to his wife Amy’s relatives for supper.

Stubbs column on Moen, his Prairie roots and his loyalty to the Canadiens as he passes up the opportunity to test Sunday’s UFA market.

The door on free agency opens Sunday, the Habs prepared to let Brad Staubitz, Chris Campoli and Michael Blunden take part in the exercise.

Saturday is the final day of the Canadiens’ three-day development camp in Brossard. On-ice workouts, open to the public at the Bell Sports Complex, run from 10:30 a.m. to noon and 4:30 to 5:30 p.m.

Subban, Price inching toward Habs contracts: Stubbs
Daigneault rounds out Therrien’s coaching staff: CJAD’s Chantal Desjardins (with audio)
Habs salary picture heading into Sunday’s UFA kickoff: capgeek.com
19-game Canadien Brad Staubitz headed to free agency: NBCSports.com
Cold, hard reality of Quebec taxes faced by players: Financial Post
• Video: Mac Bennett and player development coach Patrice Brisebois on Day 2 of Habs development camp: Canadiens.com
• TSN’s available-UFA list, keeping in mind it’s bound to change on Saturday: East | West
• TSN’s sortable UFA tracker
Long-term contracts soon to be extinct?: Ken Campbell, The Hockey News
A look back at 10 very goofy summertime trades (two Habs deals among them): Adam Proteau, The Hockey News

1. frontenac1 says:

Would love to see homeboy Allen wearing CH,but $5mill? Yikes! Not so much!

2. hockeyscout101 says:

Carkner would be an ideal 5th or 6th dman…hey you can pair him with Subban and you know for sure nobody will mess with Subban then…Subban can trash talk while Carkner can come to save him…

3. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

Matt Carkner as a Hab anyone???

• hockeyscout101 says:

Ottawa offered ‘Big Country’ Matt Carkner a 1 year deal and he rejected it. He wants stability…he paid his dues in the minors for 10 years or so, played on many different teams and many organizations, he deserves stability. If Ottawa loses the local boy it will be a big loss but some other teams gain.

4. hockeyscout101 says:

Good for Emelin…now for tomorrow..look for Bergevin to upgrade the defence and 4th line.

5. Habs1996 says:

2 years for Emelin
    Here Comes The BOOM!

6. hockeyscout101 says:

For all you fans who want Brad Staubitz back for the Habs sorry but that ain’t happening. It would have happened by now. Sure he never lost any fights in Montreal and did his job but remember he was interested in a paycheque. In San Jose and Minny he was known for turning down many tough guys and running around, so maybe that is why Montreal does not want him back. He was a good Ottawa 67’s hockey player, but in the NHL you can’t turn down guys left and right and think you have respect.

7. zaq007 says:

Sweet Emelin signed! 2 yrs!

8. frontenac1 says:

If you are going for a responsible D, standup guy who can fight Look at John Erskine in Washington. One year left at $1.5mill. Commandant is right that he can’t play full minutes but could be the heavyweight we are looking for at 5th or 6th spot. Check out his last fight against Boulton. Memories of Big Bird? oh yeah,he hasn’t had a minus season in years. Marc might be able to trade the Swiss guys to McPhee.

9. JF says:

A question: why did the Oilers not have to wait until tomorrow before signing Justin §chultz? Why is he different from other free agents?

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Is your question just an excuse to write “Schultz” with that squiggly line thing for an “S”?

• JF says:

Didn’t notice the squiggly line. Sometimes when I’m typing a capital letter, I get something else. I haven’t figured out why. But my question was serious. Free agency starts tomorrow.

• twilighthours says:

Pro contracts expire on July 1, he’s never had a contract before. He’s a UFA because he went 4 years from his draft date without signing with the team that drafted him. He’s been UFA for awhile now

10. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

Picture this:

Pacioretty – Desharnais – Cole
    Parentau – Plekanec – Gionta
    Moen – Eller – Borque
    White – Konopka – Asham
    Nokialainin

Markov – Emelin
    Subban – Georges
    Allen – Scott
    Kaberle

Price
    Budaj

• hockeyscout101 says:

First off…Konopka will sign either in Washington or Philly..He played well for Ottawa but I believe they just want a change for him..btw his Konopka27 wine is good if your ever in the Ottawa area you should try it…

Allen will want at least 5 million per so he is not the best option..and John Scott can’t play d..too slow..he is more suitable for upfront. If you want a good dman who is physical go for Matt Carkner. He wants a 2 year deal and will get a million on the open market…

• boing007 says:

Decent, but I can’t say that my knees are shaking.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

I thought Parenteau is a RW, no?

• punkster says:

He better learn how to play centre because with Konyand Ashy on the team Pleks is going to be getting way too much PK time to play a regular 2nd line shift. Waaaaay too much.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

11. chanchilla says:

i want us to go out and pry cal clutterbuck away from minnesota, get a real third line center, and have one of the dirtiest grinding 3rd lines in the league.

12. habstrinifan says:

One of the interesting teams I would be watching during the UFA frenzy is Vancouver. Especially now that Schultz is in EDM.

What do they need first and foremost.

Well I am not a Canuck fan. So much so that I dont really know who their captain is. But I f I were Canuck management that’s what I would be scouring the UFA market for. A captain.

That team needs a Shanahan or Scott Stevens type character player who goes into the room and takes over and gives them both some talent (doesnt matter up front or back-end) and some backbone.

Else they would be wasting the prime years of the Sedins.

13. ProHabs says:

Anyone know what time the press conference is today to announce the Patrick Kane deal.

14. HABATTACK says:

What the Habs need is that big shot from the point. IMO Jason Garrison would fill that role and he’s a big body. We could then trade one or both of the Swiss smurfs.

15. hockeyscout101 says:

Maybe Arron asham will come join the Habs tomorrow…He did play for Therrien when he was the coach of the Habs before..Asham did not really play alot of games but Asham will certainly help us if he does come.

16. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

How about John Scott ??????

• ProHabs says:

OHHH YEEAAAH? 4th line of Scott, Parros and Larocque. Would love to role into Boston with this 4th line.

• hockeyscout101 says:

John Scott is another option..he was making the league minimum last year, but the only downfall to him is he can’t really take a regular shift. His skating is not the greatest and he is sometimes a liability on the ice. But he is a super heavyweight and Bergevin knows him from Chicago…If you want to go a more skilled fighter who can take a regular shift you can go after George Parros/ Krys Barch..hell even Eric Boulton scores the odd goal.

• HABATTACK says:

Has everyone forgotten about Staubitz?? he never lost a fight with us and his skating ability isn’t that bad! It would be a shame to see him go

17. JF says:

So the Oilers get Schultz. Let’s see… Sam Gagner, Jordan Eberle, Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson, Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Nail Yakupov, and now Justin Schultz. That’s seven high draft picks/top prospects in five years. There should be a rule to prevent teams doing what the Oilers have done – deliberately sitting at the bottom and grabbing as many top picks as possible. I think it is cowardly, dishonest, and unsportsmanlike. If a team drafts first overall one year, they should automatically move back to the middle of the pack the next year no matter where they finish. Of course the Oiler management still have to show that they can put together a winning team, which takes a lot more than a few stars; but they’re certainly putting some of the pieces in place. They are rapidly becoming my most-disliked team.

• The Dude says:

Can you say dynasty …..smart moves,lucky Edmonton. And people say you can never have a dynasty again,HA!

• EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

Didn’t the penguins and Blackhawks do the same thing??

• The Dude says:

Not to the extent Edmonton has done and anyone who can’t see where they are heading needs a Golden Retriever….but you not alone at feeling the envy for the Oilers fans at this time, but hey we have G-Love.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

I was hoping Schultz would sign in Montreal but didn’t think that would happen, Edmonton was my second choice. He obviously sees the potential down the road and will get a lot of playing time. It’s much better than seeing him sign in Toronto. Very happy with the Moen signing, love his grit and the way he sticks up for teammates. Perhaps could get 15 goals in a good year, he was on that pace last year.

18. rhino514 says:

Made a mistake, thought Bourque was a left winger. the habs have tons of potential right wingers, but only have Patches who´s good on the left side. This means, even if the team finds a top six before the season starts, Moen is the slotted as the third line left winger. I like Moen, but I think he is a very good fourth liner who can also kill penatlies. I don´t think he has the skill necessary to complement Eller on the third line.
    Re Bouillon, I think he is an ok sixth Dman and would be a decent stopgap, but maybe Nash deserves a shot, with his size. I would like the team to get someone very good defensively and we give Diaz a shot on the other side to show and develop his puck moving skills. But unfortunately Kaberle would probably have to go for that to happen and I don´t think he is very tradeable.

19. toinz says:

so ironic

Schultz was one of the picks the Ducks received from the Oilers for the Dustin Penner offer sheet…

20. ProHabs says:

Tomorrow, the Habs sign Parise, Parros, Brookbank and Carkner. End of story.

21. Boomer says:

If I were edmonton I’d go get Bernier in LA

• mksness says:

I doubt they’ll trade for a goalie, they’re going to give dubnyk the starting role this year, he played fairly well on a team that is lacking defence. he was fairly high draft pick as well in 2004.

22. ABHabsfan says:

I don’t see what the issue is with targeting a big fish in the FA market. According to Capgeek there is plenty of room under the Cap even before moving Gomez’s contract (anchor). The only forward worth taking a big swing for would be Parise who instantly give us 2 top notch scoring lines. I would offer 4 yrs at $6.5-7 M and see what happens. Signing like that would not inhibit the ability to aquire toughness and would make the Habs significantly harder to play against since there would be 2 real good lines to defend. I’m not saying offer one of these 6-10 yr deals, but pay good money for reasonable term and the Habs are instantly better. IMO a last place team is not getting any better by adding 4th liners and 5-6 hole d-men. Parise is a top 10 forward, there is cap room to aquire him and can be accommodated going forward as other aging vets’ contracts will be up in the next year or 2. Make an offer and we could have a superstar

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• TorontoHabsFan says:

I’m guessing that Parise is looking for a longer and bigger contract than you are suggesting.

If Brad Richards got a contract that averages of $.6.7m/yr for 10 years then I suspect that Parise will be in the $7.5-$8m over 8-10 years range.

I’d be happy to pay that in exchange for dumping Gomez in the Hammer, never to be heard from again :)

• EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

he is WAAYY to small for the direction in which we are going (bigger, tougher)

• Boomer says:

It’s not just a question of us going after him but If he wants to play here, I’m willing to bet were not near the top of his list…

23. jols101 says:

Schultz chose Edmonton, another young talent to add to the list.

24. Boomer says:

Schultz to Edmonton, that team is gonna look good in a few years!

25. habs1966 says:

Shultz to EDM.

26. ProHabs says:

Shultz is an Oiler. Source, TomNickle and TSN.

27. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

Aaron Asham anyone??

28. 69HABS says:

For The Dude:

Why don’t you just tell Carey Price to his face this Oct. what you think?

• HardHabits says:

Oh yeah!!!

• Chuck says:

I’d pay to see that. I might even find my way clear to foot The Dude’s ambulance bill.

___________________________________________________

• The Dude says:

I’d love too tell Carey Price what I think and I’d start with the fact that when everybody was tooting Huet I was one of the few who argued for Price ‘IRONIC EH!”. If your looking for a pussy you’ve come to the wrong fan,just ask my O’lady …she always refers to me as a BIG DICK:)

• Cannabians says:

I get banned for I know not what……and retards like the “the Dude” and “alwayssunny” who are nothing but trolls get kept around?

Why?

29. hockeyscout101 says:

The players that the Canadiens will target tomorrow will be depth players for the 3rd/4th line and players for Hamilton that are on 2 way contracts that add depth. And a top 6 forward. Don’t be surprised if Francis Bouillion is a Hab.

30. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

It was this day 22 years ago that Montreal traded Chris Chelios to Chicago for Denis Savard, it sure looked like a great idea at the time (Chelios was constantly in trouble with the law and might have had a drug problem, Savard was one of the best players ever, ect. ect.) but in retrospect it was a complete disaster.

It is the rough equivalent of trading Subban for Giroux ten years from now when Subban is a Norris Trophy winning All-Star and Giroux is a washed up 34 year old.

I hope we don’t pull any trades like that any time soon.

31. hockeyscout101 says:

Vancouver is out on Shultz as well. So now it is Ottawa or Edmonton, maybe Minny.

• steve17 says:

I think he will choose Edm. I would based on the forwards they have and some of the defence that will be coming. He will also have the chance to be top 2 if he proves he deserves it, top 4 if he needs some time to adjust. The Oilers could be like a modern version of the early 80’s team if they can pull all the pieces together. No Gretzky, but some great young guns with skill.

Habfan17