New voice in the booth

1299

If you follow the Canadiens on RDS – and everyone does, right? – you’ll be hearing a new voice in the broadcast booth this season.
Marc Denis takes over from Benoit Brunet as Pierre Houde’s analytical (we hope) partner.

Denis ended his 11-year career with one appearance for the Canadiens during the 2008-’09 season.

Fearless prediction, based on his RDS studio work to date: Denis will be an upgrade

Richard Labbé’s La Presse feature on Denis

Steven Hindle on possible pickups

Mike Cammalleri goes to school this week

• Eyes on the Prize looks at 25-year-old Canadiens, including DD and Alexei Yemelin

Cammalleri’s Q&A on Twitter

TSN and the coaches-in-waiting

•  The voters of Nassau County vote today, with the future of the Islanders in the balance. They should have the option of voting “Yes, we want a team … but not this team”.

Vintage Down Goes Brown on Opening Night in Winnipeg. Guess who the visitors will be at the real Oct. 9 opener?

1. kinsaiss says:

Online Store,Get Name Brand Fashion From 12USD Now!
    Lv,Gucci,Prada,Coach,Chanel Women sandal is $30
    DG,JUICY,Lv,Gucci,Coach Hand-bag price is $35
    Polo,Locaste,Levis,EdHardy,Bape,Christan Audigier AF,COOGI Tshirt price is $12
    Jeans price is $34
    Paypal accept,Door to Door services!
    5 days arrive your home or you

fdhfd

2. gfdygthygtf says:

share with you a very good website

love ★★★

very good web

lets go★★★

3. durocher says:

If Trent Hunter is bought out and passes a physical, I’d sign him to a one-year deal. He’s big, can play a two-way game, and can hit. We could do a lot worse than having him as a third line winger, assuming again that he’s healthy.

4. SeriousFan09 says:

So apparently, Wang is heartbroken that he couldn’t con Nassau county residents into funding the mess he created with his horrific ownership.

Bettman needs to find a new owner for that team to save it. The NY market is too rich for him to let it be shipped off somewhere else.

5. Everlasting1 says:

Poll of the night: Should Boston’s Marc Savard have his name engraved on Lord Stanley? Nay or Aye. Despite the league’s rules stating the player needs to play a min. of 41 games or play in the SCF game (he’s played 25 regular season games and seen no playoff action).
    Is GM Peter Chiarelli off his puckin’ rocker trying to make an exception for him by spearheading a petition to get his name in? Wouldn’t players of past Cup winners whose names have been omitted oppose Chiarelli’s audacious actions? Discuss amongst yourselves.

——————————————————————-
    “God has taken his place in the divine council; in the midst of the gods he holds judgment: “How long will you judge unjustly and show partiality to the wicked? Psalms 82:1-2

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

6. HabFanSince72 says:

I wonder if Martin and/or Gauthier had a chat with Pouliot before ditching him.

7. Neutral says:

other teams need money. leave things be till after training camp and see how things work out, should no forwards make it to the big team, pick up whom ever for the 4th line or make a trade. as it stands now if Eller makes it back this team is set, gotta play it by ear don’t waste money on players other teams are getting rid off there’s a reason for it….

• Talik Sanis says:

To a point, I agree. I don’t see a need to make additions to the team, but for a fourth line penalty killer if Enqvist proves unprepared for the NHL.

However, if Gautier does want to get a player who will likely be scratched in most of our games, barring serious injuries, I would rather he waste money than waste draft picks and money.

8. habrez says:

I’m seeing some interest in Colin White. If he can’t make the Devils defense, which is a major reason for their struggles last year, he won’t make ours.

9. seattlepuckster says:

First time posting. Hello all.

10. HabFanSince72 says:

That Islanders arena plan is one heck of a boondoggle. Wang is actually asking taxpayers to fund the $400M arena. This is in a county that is closing schools due to budgetary constraints.

This is how the Wang is selling it:

Don’t worry, you’ll make the money back with interest thanks to all the profits the Islanders will make. So why don’t you borrow the cash from investors if it’s such a great business deal?

It’ll create jobs. 1500 jobs. For $400M. Do the math. ($266,000/job)

It’s an investment in the future. You mean unlike education?

Let’s not be to hard on Wang though. The real culprit in all this is Mike Milbury. That clown destroyed hockey on the Island.

Sounds alot like Phoenix except for the history of this once great franchise.

Milbury ruined it under Wang’s watch. Both idiots!

• HabFanSince72 says:

Amount NY Isles are asking from Nassau County taxpayers: $400 million.

Amount NY Isles agreed to pay Rick Di Pietro and Alexei Yashin: $155 million.

11. habfab14120 says:

Bravo Kempie, but I’ve got you by one (not that this begs one-upmanship). Dinner was out tonight as my wife and I celebrate our 24th anniversary.

I am sold out of Summit game tickets at the present time, get your money orders in the mail today please. I have to pay for them this week. I am trying to obtain more game tickets for those who want them.

The Dallas Sept 20th and the Buffalo 21st pre season game is still available. The more of these I sell, the more Summit tickets I can get.

If you want pre-season game tickets, call me right away please, before they are sold to the general public at a hire price. 613-968-9807—Ian

Nov.18,19,& 20th 2011 (Itinerary) for our HIO Fan Summit.
    Park your car for the weekend, everything is two minutes walking distance.

Friday evening—Meet and Greet, name tags at Hurley’s pub. 1225 Crescent St.

Saturday–8am Breakfast Chez Cora’s. 1240 Drummond St.
    10am Tour Hall of Fame and Bell Center
    Hall of Fame Tour is now included in the price of your tickets.!!!!!!!!!
    3pm Baton Rouge for pre game meal and children’s
    charity raffle. 1050 Mountain St. (rue de la Montagne)
    7pm Game Hab’s vs Rangers

After game celebration. the upstairs at Hurley’s pub reserved for us.

Sunday—-Farewell breakfast and back to the airport for home.

Hotel rooms– group rate at the Novatel Hotel, be sure to tell them you are with the HIO group to get the deal price. reservation # 514-871-2138

• Psycho29 says:

Hi Ian,
      Just got back from vacation, so I missed all the summit info.
      Is it still possible to get tickets for the Rangers game? Should I send you a Money Order right away? Or should I wait to see if you get more tickets first.
      Either way Lisa and I will be there for the festivities, and will buy tickets on our own if need be.
      Also, is there parking at the hotel?
      Thanks for all your hard work Ian…..I don’t know how you do it!

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

13. Mr. Biter says:

Perfect time to bring up this. It seems that the Habs have to have a French coach (see departure of KM) regardless of what coaches are available. back in our “Glory Days” a coaches cultural background did not matter only winning did. Now I have no axe to grind with JM who I have defended him in his time here and in my opinion has done a good job the last 2 years with the enormous ammount of injuries we have had, however when it is his time to go we should find THE BEST COACH AVAILABLE regardless of his ethnic background. iF THE U.S. soccer federation pick Klinsmann a German player and former coach of the German National Team to coach their National Tean it shows they want to win and do not care the background of the coach. We should do the same. This should get some interesting replies.
    Mr. Biter

• HabFanSince72 says:

Small correction. When you say that “back in our “Glory Days” a coaches cultural background did not matter” you’re actually mistaken. Toe Blake and Scotty Bowman both spoke fluent French, and you better believe it mattered. Should it matter now? I’m not sure. But don’t think it never mattered.

• Mr. Biter says:

Good point,but back in the “Glory Days” we had more french speaking players and to be fluent in both languages was more important. Now with such International rosters I don’t believe it quite so important. Winning the Stanley Cup is the thing everyone ( except trolls from other teams) on this site wants wants.
        Mr. Biter

No argument here my friend. And no reason that shouldn’t extend itself to GM position also. Bonus to have a French GM or Coach, but shouldn’t be a prerequisite.

Pre-season game tickets. I still have a bunch left at our group rate $80.

They will go on sale to the general public at more money shortly.

Dallas Sept 20th and Buffalo Sept 21st.

Ian-613-968-9807 Call me ASAP

15. kempie says:

• Awesome home
    • Hottest woman I’ve ever met is my wife
    • Healthy. beautiful, super-cute 10-month-old baby boy, sleeping peacefully
    • Jar of hydro
    • Nice deck
    • 2 parts vodka, a bunch of pineapple juice plus a splash of that MinuteMaid raspberry punch crap
    • +27 Celsius on the deck with no bugs
    • Mellow buzz
    • Garlic chicken breast on the grill with StoveTop Box of Crap
    • Habs are poised to kick ass & take names this year

Sometimes it’s best to stop bitching about Gomez and just chill and grill.

• Rob says:

you said it kempie. Hey are you going to the summit this year?

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

• kempie says:

Hey Rob, I really wish I could. I’ve been meaning to for a while now. I’m definitely aiming for the next one though. My thinking is that it will be that much sweeter with a Stanley Cup under our belt. Are you going? That’s a long walk.

• Rob says:

ya i’m biting the bullet and making the flight in. Oh well, hopefully i can start to make it annually and our paths will cross again. Your presence, or lack thereof, was probably the difference in breaking my lucky streak for game 7s at Schanks! :P take care

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

• HabFanSince72 says:

What’s a jar of hydro?

Everything else sounds pretty good. OK except that pink stuff you’re drinking.

16. cuzzie says:

I liked McTavish on tsn. Now tsn has to replace Mcguire and Mctavish. Please do not hire anyone from McCBC.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

There are plenty of other ex coaches they can choose from without going to Boston I mean the CBC to find a personality.

I liked MacT alot on TSN (a former Bruin no less).

17. cuzzie says:

7 Canadian teams but only see 2 making playoffs.
    Habs
    Nucks

Poor CBC!

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

18. thehabsfan29 says:

i dont think there is a .5% chance that the habs are considering picking up white off waivers

when it comes to hunter im not sure

id rather not pick up hunter and maybe sign a guy like todd white for cheap for our 4th line

• kempie says:

I wish we could pick up Todd and Colin & play them on a line with with Ryan centering just so we can capture the sound of Bob Cole’s mind exploding.

19. Mattyleg says:

Whaaa…?
    Just watching the baseball on RDS… when did broadcasters start using that stupid yellow box all the time?! I can understand for replays, but during the actual game?!

Almost as bad as the glowing puck…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

20. Neutral says:

too bad steve macintyre wasn’t a forward, he’d be good for the 4th line, chara or any other Bruin would think twice about running a Hab….

• Malreg says:

Because Lucic, Chara, Thornton and the rest of the buffoons really made Rome think twice about taking out Horton, or really prevented Savard from getting 3 concussions in 2 years…

The whole having a goon on the 4th line prevents cheap shots is a myth.

Would it be nice to have some big bodies to crash and bang, of course. Howerver, I don’t think there’s a single player in the world who could Chara think twice about doing anything on the ice.

21. Neutral says:

stay away from Hunter and white, save the money for a kid out of training camp..or make a trade before the season starts…..

• cuzzie says:

110% agree!

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• Talik Sanis says:

We have sufficient cap space to acquire White, while still leaving room for any player from Hamilton. As for a trade, I can’t see the logic. Why waste assets for a depth defenceman when there are free agents and unwanted players who can be acquired at no cost?

I’m not saying that we should claim White, but he is a serviceable player. If we are keen on bringing someone in, I would rather see us pick up, by all accounts, a character guy who is used to playing in a defensive system much like the one we employ, rather than throwing away more picks to fill holes.

• cuzzie says:

I would wait on the trade route early in the season unless it’s something incredible. Save the cap space and pounce on a team that is desperate and trade a meatloaf for a filet mignon.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• Mattyleg says:

I think you answered your own question with the word “unwanted.”

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Talik Sanis says:

Depending on the reason, fine players can be unwanted players. To reference an extreme example, Burke couldn’t find a taker for Bryzgalov (though, to be fair, that was Brian Burke). Also, look at the free agent market right now. Scott Hannan, Paul Mara, Chris Campoli, Jack Hillen and others are still free agents. No one wants them enough to extend an acceptable offer. Closer to home, many fans don’t want Spacek; he is unwanted, but, statistically (plus/minus, Corsi, quality of comp, etc.), a fine sixth defenseman.

I maintain that my argument is valid. If the team does want to bring in a depth defenseman, which is what we’re talking about here, it can be done at almost any time, without cost. In the hypothetical situation where we want to bring a seventh or eighth defenceman (a move I do not claim to support or oppose in and of itself) there is no reason to resort to a trade; a player of equal skill can be acquired for free.

The only circumstance in which a trade would be valid, in my opinion, is if we are in need of a good defenceman, due to a long-term injury to a top four member of our core. Poaching depth players from cash-strapped teams teams likely would not get us a significantly better return than turning to apparently “unwanted” free-agents.

22. kevin m says:

This guy’s still available & would probably enjoy playing with Pleks & Budaj & Spacek. Can hold his own against Big Mac

Well it appears Eklund read HSF72′s question and here are his ridiculous predictions, which includes the Jets 6th and Montreal 9th!
    The East

11. Maple Leafs
    12. Panthers
    13. Hurricanes
    14. Senators
    15. Islanders

• cuzzie says:

Non playoff teams, you pick their order of finish.
      1-sens
      2-isles
      3-laffs
      4-panthers
      5-jets
      6-canes
      7-lightening

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• JohnBellyful says:

I think you’re being a trifle hard on the poor fellow.
      Look at all the things he got right:
      Number of teams = 15 ✓
      Names spelled correctly = ✓
      Capitals better than Islanders = ✓
      Penguins better than Senators = ✓
      Sabres better than Hurricanes = ✓
      Lightning better than Panthers = ✓
      Bruins better than Leafs = ✓
      Jets better than Devils ………. hmmmmmmm ……. okaaaaay = ✓
      Flyers better than Canadiens

FLYERS BETTER THAN CANADIENS!!!!
      AS IN MONTREAL CANADIENS!!!!
      OUR CANADIENS!!!!

what a maroon…..

• cuzzie says:

Maroons won 2 Stanley Cups.

26 for Montreal teams.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• JohnBellyful says:

I, uh, was using, uh, the French pronunciation — yeah, that’s it — I was using the FRENCH pronunciation of moron. Yeah, I was. Honest. The way the French say it.

• cuzzie says:

Stay cool buddy. Understood what you were saying, just wanted to add that MTL has won 26 Lord Stanleys.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

24. Propwash says:

That was quite the storm that blew through. Basement is now flooded, God I love Verdun……..

25. Old Bald Bird says:

Stubbs has tweeted that neither Wiz nor Sopel heard one word from the Habs once the season ended. That’s not classy at all.

• LA Loyalist says:

Not the first time it has happened. That bothers me — a lot.

We might not win the cup every year anymore, but we should always be the classiest and hardest working team, from stick boy to head Molson.

Guys? Am I over-reacting?

• Old Bald Bird says:

habsinsideout1 Dave Stubbs
        Costs a team nothing to call a player and say “Thanks for your effort, good luck elsewhere.” A courtesy

• SyntaxLove says:

Certainly not. It’s professional courtesy to at least thank them and wish them well. Whether Stubbs is referring to this concept or more so contract negotiations is unclear. it would be very disappointing if they were snubbed.

Haha, suppose it is clear then!

Chinchillin’

• G-Man says:

We cannot know what goes on between gms and agents excepting for what a 3rd party may or may not have said.
        Players not being appreciated enough to say “thanks” at the end of the season? I don’t think JM or PG would behave that way, but who knows what the players or agents have said to them?
        Habs are back on track and there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Let’s hope it’s not a train.

Agree, especially Wiz! Only caveat I would ask is if PG spoke to their agents.

• Why do people get hung up on this? Who gives a crap?

So we give up a 2nd round pick for the guy, he played well for the team. The fact PG wouldn’t even ask what he wants in new contract etc… makes zero sense.
        Edit: If PG already had talked to agent about dollars and found unsignable, then I am fine.
        The Sopel thing, I am not so concerned about.

I don’t know about you, but i don’t think a 2nd round pick is dick all.

• Propwash says:

Exactly, he was a spare part . Did a decent job and got himself a huuuge contract elsewhere. People would FREAK if we signed him for that much.

• SnowManHabs85 says:

Exactly, and yet people still complain we gave up a 2nd rounder for a guy who’s suppose to be replacing the injured Markov. Teams give out picks for rentals every year. Washington has been doing this every also and yet their depth isn’t as weak its suppose to be.

Didn’t we get a pick in return for Wiz too? This is still business isn’t it? What the Habs gave to Wiz was a big fat contract by Columbus.

“Responding to the media , or playing to the media, or listening to the fans is the quickest way to start losing” – Sam Pollock

• Mark C says:

Just another reason to rip management? Is it wrong to assume that both players were spoken to and thanked during exit interviews following the playoff exit?

• Stuck_in_To. says:

Because we grew up being fed on a Habs tradition where the class of players like Jean Beliveau was fed to us in a steady diet of what it meant to be a Canadien. Marketing or not, it is noble aspiration which necessarily should extend across the organization and, while I am hardly in the habit of writing such things, your’s is one of the stupidest comments I have ever read on HIO.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Basic human decency. Ya gotta treat people well.

• kevin m says:

Wiz got the contract he did because playing with the Habs instead of the Isles made him look a whole lot better come July 1st.

I think he should give PG a call & thank HIM

• B says:

Did Stubbs mention whether or not any former former Habs called the team up after their last season with Montreal to ask about coming back or to thank them for the opportunity and job given?

26. slamtherimtim says:

In 86 the habs won with Nilan and Kordic on the team
    In 93 the habs won with Rob Ramage and Lyle Odelein

Not saying we need a tough guy through the palyoffs , but building the other players confidence during the regular season and not having the other teams beat the heck out of the habs all year and not being dead tierd before the real hockey starts , i wouldn’t mind at least one tough guy , a guy with a rep , if you look at PK the wrong way , you know next shift your getting a beat down , i like what PG has done and believe they are a top 4 team at least in our own conference , but to get over the hump we still need musle not just size ,

Get me someone PG , think about how many sweaters alone you can sell

• Hobie Hansen says:

100% correct. Too bad it was not addressed, at least to this point.

Of the group only Kordic was a goon. If we could get this role filled without bringing in a goon, would be very happy. Ryan White is getting there, but I fear just not big enough. One thing about when we had Souray, he would do this, only problem we then didn’t have him for 40 games while his hand healed. And I know he was terrible defensively.

I fear we have too much pressure on Yemelin to be our policeman along with White. Essentially 2 rookies!

27. SeriousFan09 says:

All this talk about Quebec and the issues facing the province make me sad, as it reminds what an utterly lackluster generation of politicians are stumbling around right now making a mess out of it all via either malice, greed, corruption or a lack of will. Conservatives have the courage to make bad decisions to suit their ends, Liberals have no courage to fight for something good. My kingdom for a real leader.

And this is not a pure partisan thing. Conservatives have been corrupt or incompetent to a disastrous extent over the last century in Canada. Burden put a war profiteer in charge of the military, Diefenbaker killed the pinnacle of Canadian aerospace in the Arrow, Mulroney was corrupt but the RCMP bungled it and now we have Harper, the most self-serving egomaniac I have ever seen in CAN politics.

• Chorske says:

I’m not sure either party can claim to be clean. Chretien was at least as big a crook as his predecessors, and his arrogant self-serving decimation of the Liberals (and political exhaustion of Paul Martin) is largely responsible for letting the conservatives off the mat. I blame the Liberals for the current mess, if only because they have been the most inept opposition in my memory.

• Ian Cobb says:

Chris–never got your order for Summit Tic’s??

• RGM says:

Laying the blame for the current position of the country at the feet of the most successful prime minister in the last half-century is a new one. Martin bungled badly and his ambition divided the party to the extent that 6 years since losing office the internecine battles are still continuing. He’s much like Gordon Brown in England – he so badly longed for the crown held by his predecessor that he undercut everybody else in the party and in the process caused it severe damage.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

• Mattyleg says:

I think that a lot of the problem lies in the fact that unions, who have always been supported by Liberals as a means of protecting workers from the kinds of serial capitalists that Conservatives support and protect, have lost sight of reality, and are constantly dragging their feet and impeding progress.

I am a socialist at heart, but watching unskilled labourers holding the construction industry hostage drives me a bit nuts. One of the main reasons that Montreal hasn’t improved its infrastructure since the 60s is that it’s become too goddamn expensive. Look at how much it cost us to build a couple more metro stations, all because the guys digging the holes need to be able to afford to go to Florida every February.

And we teachers get the shaft. Again.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• LA Loyalist says:

Our problems in Quebec go back to a pair of whores, Duplessis and Bourrassa, I don’t even remember or care what party they were. They created the opportunity for an extremist like Levesque to be able to claim the moral high ground and take power – in turn enabling Trudeau to really create the divide and turn Quebec and the rest of Canada into adversaries instead of partners.

As for Harper, your theory would explain the booming Canadian economy, 2 points better unemployment than the US and the highest Canadian $ of my lifetime (and I’ve been alive a long time).

• G-Man says:

Hate to break it to you, but Levesque was among the few voices of reason the PQ had. Levesque was pissed at Johnson for leaving him out to dry when the sh!t hit the fan.
        Talking about Trudeau as a “divider” is amusing, to say the least.
        Harper’s no longer a minority PM- his true right wing nutbar will come out by year 2 or 3 of this current mandate and leave room for a united left to win power.

• Everlasting1 says:

I won’t get into any intense discussion re the political climate, but once the realization is made of how the uregulated world bankers and the financially backed mega corporations run the show and have all the power, one can conclude that the political parties’ hands are tied and are only there to pay lip service to the gullible sheeple.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

28. Chrisadiens says:

Isles might need a new home. Quebec Islanders?

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

29. HabFab says:

What is this constant attraction to other teams GARBAGE??
    Hunter is not wanted by either the Devils nor the ISLANDERS!
    Yeah, he is just the player we need to WIN!
    Same goes for White…WTF!

• NDGhabsfan says:

Your CAPS button must be (deleted)

From failing hands…

• NDGhabsfan says:

Also great use of WTF.

From failing hands…

• SyntaxLove says:

It’s only for the 4th line. The Devils never had any intention of keeping Hunter. He was just a low contract to buy out. And the Islanders management is useless. They’re a joke for a reason. Their GM walked into the job from the position of back-up goaltender. They traded Wiz last year for practically nothing, and he was having a very good season with them up until the trade.

Obviously we’re not privy to the details, but there’s always more than one variable to consider.

Chinchillin’

30. NDGhabsfan says:

Any thoughts on Trent Hunter’s waiver situation? Anyone else think there’d be some merit in claiming him? He’d bring some size and sandpaper and he’s not the least skilled mofo out there either.

From failing hands…

31. Sakus Evil Twin says:

Weirdest thing…

I just had a flash of a dream I had last night and had completely forgotten about….

Cammy traded to LA for draft picks and prospects.

I’m sorry because, no matter what I try to do… you’re gonna die, Charlie.

Hotel regular rates are $139 and $149. BUT!

Our HIO special rates are as follows.
    Hotel rates.single $119, Double $119, Triple $144, Quad $$169

Be sure to tell them you are with HIO.
    Mrs. Xich-Vê HÔ (pronounced “sik-vay”)
    Sales Manager- Leisure Groups and Catering
    1180 de la Montagne
    Montréal, Qc H3G 1Z1
    Tel : +001 514 871 2145
    Fax : +001 514 861 2295

Thanks Ian, I had a mixup with getting money order, sent someone to bank to do it. Will send purolator courier to you tomorrow morning, you should/will have Wed. AM

33. HabFanSince72 says:

8. Flyers
      9. Jets
      10. Leafs
      11 – 15 doesn’t matter
      16. Sens

• Jonson says:

you are wrong on so many levels. if montreal are healthy all season they will win their division. if not they will end up being 4th or 5th maximum. rangers ahead of the flyers aint gonna happen. Sabres are rated way to high. they have a good team but not nearly as good as the habs, flyers, lightning, and the devils. And i gaurantee the devils will make the playoffs, last year was just really wierd, but did you see how close they came to making it? they underachieved all year long until the last 30 games or so. i expect them to finish pretty high in the standings. i know there is not a lot of room but i could def see the Jets making the playoffs this year.

• Jonson says:

1.caps
        2. devils
        3. montreal
        4. bruins
        5. flyers
        6.pens
        7.lightning
        8. RaNGERS/ jets

• SyntaxLove says:

It’s a subjective inquiry. There isn’t a right or wrong answer. Anything that isn’t factual, supported by tangible evidence, is just general consensus. But anyway! I disagree!

- Montreal’s a small team. They will not be healthy all season. If they are, we have a team that’s comparable with Boston.
        - The Flyers made so many drastic changes this off-season that there’s no good way to evaluate how they’ll play.
        - The Devil’s awakening last year could arguably be attributed to Lemaire, who knows the Devil’s system better than most & got the best out of that team. Their overall depth is still fairly poor, in my opinion.
        - The Sabres have a loaded blueline on paper & assuming Derek Roy doesn’t miss most of the season again, it’s reasonable to suggest they’ll win the division.

That’s my opinion.

10. ”
      11. ”
      12. ”
      13. ”
      14. ”
      15 Leafs

“That beautiful bastard scored semi-conscious.” On the Rocket’s Game 7 game winning goal against the Bruin’s April, 1952

• dabigjz says:

10. Buffalo
      11. Winnipeg
      12. Toronto
      13. Carolina
      14. New York Islanders
      15. Ottawa

This was actually a hard list to make, I feel like it will be exceptionally tight this year to make the top 8 With Florida, Philidelphia and Buffalo battling down to the wire. And Ottawa will be at the bottom of the barrel.

• Hobie Hansen says:

@HabFanSince72

I tend to agree with your predictions except I’m thinking Buffalo might grab top spot in our division. Miller plus the new additions is looking pretty scary. They may take a while to gel but Miller should be more than able to hold the fort while they do.

It could be pretty tight though and I think our Habs could fly out of the gate and end up with the top spot in the North East.

That’s why they play the games I guess….

• Tremblant Habs Fan says:

11. Panthers
      12. Devils
      13. Leafs
      14. Sens
      15. Isles

• SyntaxLove says:

How do the Capitals not win their division, if not the whole conference again? They got better (yet again) Tampa got worse and everyone else is still mediocre to bad with the exception of Florida, who is one giant question mark.

Chinchillin’

• Rob says:

” It’s a subjective inquiry. There isn’t a right or wrong answer. Anything that isn’t factual, supported by tangible evidence, is just general consensus.”

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

• SyntaxLove says:

Haha, indeed! I’m just wondering what his justification is. I’m not saying he’s wrong, merely that I disagree.

Chinchillin’

• LA Loyalist says:

Devils will be much higher unless the coach sucks.
      Pens will depend on if Crosby is 100%. Is Malkin back?
      Lightning have a goalie now, don’t forget.
      Bruins may be vulnerable from inevitable cup exhaustion/hangover.
      Flyers have a goalie also.
      Rangers are kind of a wild card, could be better or worse.
      I think we are better, but a lot of other teams are, too.

In short, it’s going to be a cat-scratching, dogfight all year, I don’t think anyone can afford more than 3 game losing streaks and expect to make it up.

We need to come out of the gate hard and consistent.

My biggest worry is how many games we mailed in last year in places like Cleveland and Poughkeepsie. If we are arrogant and do that this year we will be in trouble.

• G-Man says:

1. Habs
      2. HAbs
      3. HABs
      4. HABS
      There ya go- Montreal is a cynch for top 4 in the East!
      Predictions on August 1? Let’s await a couple pre-season games, yes?

34. Shane1313 says:

Cammy is the ultimate comptetitor. I’m really hoping he pot 35 this year, we know he can.

35. HabsFanInTampa says:

It’s hard to believe Marc Denis played for eleven years. He wasn’t a good goaltender and quite a disappointment between the pipes. It’s going to be difficult to take his analysis of the game too seriously.

SUMMIT HOTEL NEWS ABOVE

37. nickster13 says:

Trent Hunter was put on waivers and then will be bought out if no takers. He is now fair game basically. Isnt he exactly what we want? A 3rd liner RHS with some grit and skill around the net. Go For it!

38. Habs should take a gamble on Trent Hunter for 2m. Lines could look something like this?

Pacioretty – Plekanec – Cammalleri

Cole – Gomez – Gionta

AK46 – Eller – Hunter

Darche or Moen – DD – White

39. HabFanSince72 says:

Some of you mentioned that you like street art.

In this case I recommend you see the movie “Exit Through the Gift Shop”. The best new movie I have seen in the last 12 months, made by the brilliant Banksy. The film is provocative, confusing, and absolutely hilarious. And once it’s over you still won’t be sure what it’s about.

Trailer:

Site:

40. mike3131 says:

Seeing how SJ locked up Burns, should PG consider locking up one of Price or Subban (preferably Price because he already has a higher cap hit) before the season starts? I mean, he has the cap space even with Spacek’s contract included…

• habs03 says:

Different cases, Burns would have been a UFA next season, Price is going to be an RFA. And if Price signs a contract extension this off-season, it has no effect on the upcoming season salary cap, so Spacek has no effective on either Price signs this off-season or next.

41. JF says:

Colin White on waivers according to RDS. Should the Habs be interested?

42. habs178 says:

So I was at Kewadin Casino this weekend, and I of course was wearing my Habs hat, when the dealer at my blackjack table said something to make my day. So….he was telling me that he predicted Chicago’s Cup win 2 years ago, and the Bruins Cup win this year….and he’s already predicted the Habs to take it in 2012. I’m really hoping said dealer goes 3-for-3 in his predictions!

“How would you like a job where, every time you make a mistake, a big red light goes on and 18,000 people boo?”
    ~Jacques Plante

43. Aaron13 says:

With respect to the Gomez’s strengths, I agree with Hindle. Gomez has excellent ice visiblilty, and is a good passer and skater. Hopefully with the addition of Cole, Gomez may be able to pick up more assists because Cole is not afraid to go to the net.

• Doesn’t Nomez play with Patches and Gio?

• LA Loyalist says:

Yeah, Gomez is All-World between the blue lines. Not that I’m bitter.

Hope you’re right though. If he can dish to Cole and Cole is what he has historically been, then yeah, it won’t hurt? But of course we also don’t know what the lines will be either. Anyway, somebody has to get the puck to Cole and he has to create real estate.

• Arrow77 says:

His vision was one of the things lacking last year. He was very predictable and constantly forcing a pass in the slot. Cole might help (although he will probably play with Plekanec) but Gomez is the key to his own improvement.

44. punkster says:

Ahhhh, Montreal. A festival of sights and sounds though not so different in many ways from other cites. It just seems that Montreal loves to do things bigger and just a tad different. From the jazz and comedy fests that are arguably the largest and finest in the world attracting the best international performers and huge international crowds to the multitude of smaller arts, music and cultural events that dot the calendar. Coupled with the fantastic restos, great night life, fascinating neighbourhoods, beautiful parks and easy access to excellent ski hills, golf courses, lakes, mountains and country retreats the city is quite enjoyable.

OK. It has its down sides and in those it is not so different from any other city. Infrastructure, health care and taxes are a problem across North America. Who here can say they wouldn’t like to improve their own city services, medical care or tax burden? Some people and places are just more adept than others at handling things.

I’ve lived in 3 big cities; Boston in the 70′s, Toronto in the 80s and the last 20 years in Montreal. I’ve also lived in very small towns and small cities elsewhere in Ontario. All these places had their unique charm and positives at the time. Would I go back to any of them now? Not likely but who knows. They were great while I lived there but I moved on and some day I just may move on from here. However, of all the places I lived this city is the best in my experience. Warts and all.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• OneTimer says:

What a nice love letter to our fair city. And you didn’t even mention the Habs! I too <3 Montreal; too bad I have to go back stateside for the entire school year! :(

• Montreal’s crumbling infrastructure is definitely a problem, but it’s outweighed by an atmosphere that other cities in Canada just can’t match.

• punkster says:

I blame Gomez.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• mrhabby says:

montreal is a great city if you want to have fun but takes a big back seat to none other than TO. Lets face it TO and Ontario runs the country. More people , very diverse economy, so many HO’s, a very rich city and belive it or not has a good atmosphere with tons of things to do.

ps..iam not even from TO.

• Mike D says:

Toronto’s atmophere is absolute shite! It’s a better city financially, politically, in terms of cleanliness, etc. but the atmosphere is absolute BALLS!

Montreal and Toronto are both culturally diverse, but Montreal’s diversity has a strong Euro flavour where as Toronto’s doesn’t (unless you’re in very specific areas). The Euro feel is quite unique as most of the cultural diversity found in other bigger canadian cities is not of the same background (not a bad thing, but different from Montreal). Montreal’s “age” gives it a nice feel too. Not so much with the stuff that’s gone decrepit, but the style or architecture around the city. Especially Old Montreal.

I’ve lived in both cities so I’mnot talking out of my arse here.

- Honestly yours

• HabFanSince72 says:

politically?

Rob Ford?

• mrhabby says:

i lived in both cities. Montreal has the unique euro flavor for sure and i do miss that. i lived in montreal from 86-90 and miss it but not that much.

• Disagree. Toronto tries hard, but in the end it’s a boring city by comparison. Of course there’s lots to do, but the city just isn’t as alive as Montreal is. You want a microcosm of the difference between Montreal and Toronto? Go to the ACC then go to the Bell. One’s a dead arena and one is alive.

• mrhabby says:

hmmm.ya i know the difference between the acc and bell….i said TO has good atmosphere. of course it does not rival parts of montreal. there is good and bad to both cities.

• Mike D says:

…..until you get caught under a crumbling overpass.

- Honestly yours

• LA Loyalist says:

If it’s any cold comfort, LA’s infrastructure is horrific, there are potholes everywhere (with no frost) and staggering corruption and debt and a highly punative business environment. LA Cops shoot first and ask questions later, we have about 5 million illegal Mexicans all over the place and I my kid will never go to the high school 3 blocks from our house because they bus in Gang Bangers every morning.
        I’m looking at $20k a year for private high school, at least.

On the bright side, I played hockey 3 times this weekend and can hardly walk :-) and there are TWO brand new ice pads opening in September. Hockey is crazy popular here.

• cuzzie says:

The usual losers in Quebec will find a way to blame Ottawa. The worms that they are!

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• JohnBellyful says:

Mr. P, am I right in concluding that Boston in the 70s, Toronto in the 80s and a whole bunch of towns and cities in between had greatness bestowed on them by the mere presence of your ineffable self? I’m impressed! :)
      (I think posters will be surprised to learn that you’re not effable, although you do your best at times to draw their fire.)

• mrhabby says:

the state of california has no money…

• JohnBellyful says:

But let’s be clear, that’s not Punkster’s fault.

• LA Loyalist says:

…worse than no money, Mr. Habby, California has more debt than any other state, more than many countries, and we don’t have to field an army or customs or any of those “national” costs. The business environment is hostile, the social regulation is ridiculous.

They’ve just elected another socialist, Jerry Brown, who, ironically, is personally cheap, he served hot-dogs for his re-election party, he’s cut government cell phones and cars and done some other actually good things. It’s very funny, as he’s a true believer government programs fix everything guy. But he may turn out to be better than Fat-head Arnie.

Irony is everywhere around us.

• mrhabby says:

yes thats true about california’s debt problem. christ..no quick fix there and with the politics mixed in very scarey times. peeps look to the states for leadership but not so sure anymore. of course we have the same issues but on a smaller scale.

• punkster says:

Actually, I was on the lam. And as to being effable I`ll have you know I attended the University of Pennsylvania as a Youth Equality Representative Scholar (UP YERS).

***Subbang Baby!!!***

45. Un Canadien errant says:

Ed Lopaz, even if people are making a little money on real estate, that doesn’t obviate the fact that the infrastructure in Montreal is shabby-looking. I’m a proud native Montrealer and defend it and the province of Quebec against the inanities that sometimes spout out of the mouths of some unenlightened Canadians here out West. Having said that, the state of the roads and bridges and tunnels in Montreal is shocking. It really does look like the Third World, or a post-Apocalyptic movie set with all the graffiti. I can’t help but notice the cracks and patches in the concrete, the rust stains, the visible re-bar where chunks have fallen off. Calling the surface itself a patchwork is a misnomer, it’s more of an agglomeration of patches with the original matrix long gone. Oh, and a hell of a lot of patches are missing too.

Last time I was in town visiting my girlfriend who lived for a while on Berri above Sherbrooke. It was a great neighbourhood with a nice feel, except for a lot of buildings in the walking area that are really rundown. Not old, not heritage, just run down, needing a lot of maintenance instead of a sloppy coat of paint on top of the previous 16 coats of paint. Another thing was the graffiti, again it’s everywhere, and my girlfriend was so inured to it that she didn’t notice it anymore, whereas it jumped out at me. Some private residences had some on their exterior walls and siding, and it remained for the two weeks I was there. It seems like it’s an accepted part of urban life, instead of a blight that needs to be stamped out.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a hater, I meet a lot of visitors in Whistler and when I can I get in a plug about going to Montreal, mention all the great things you can do and see. On my last trip I took in the Jazz Festival’s many outdoor concerts, saw Zachary Richard at Place des Arts (great show), took Bixis everywhere and loved them, had some smoked meat at Schwartz’s, bagels at St-Viateur and Fairmount, took in a couple of fireworks shows, rode the Metro and marveled at how easy it was to get around compared to Vancouver…

I see unemployment in Quebec being perennially high, the economy being in need of stimulus, and an infrastructure that needs massive overhaul. I wonder why the province can’t attack these three things at once, in a massive project way way bigger than Baie James was.

———————————
    For my training camp surprise, I want the second coming of Mike McPhee. And maybe Kent Carlson.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Even as hyperbole, Montreal doesn’t look like the third world. That’s just silly. The Plateau doesn’t look rundown, unless you’re comparing it to Zurich. It’s one of the most expensive and desirable urban neighborhoods in Canada. Sure it isn’t brand spanking new. That’s partly why people want to live there.

The unemployment rate in Quebec (7.3%) is the same as in Ontario and considerably lower than in most of the US (9.2%). We’ve had about 12 years of consistent economic growth, based on high tech, aeronautics, and pharma.

Zachary Richard, Bagels, Schwartzes, Jazz Fest, unemployment, crumbling Plateau. Your post sounds like it was written in the 80′s (except for the Bixis).

• Un Canadien errant says:

Driving in from Dorval to downtown, seeing all the overpasses in complete disrepair, and the road being cracked and potholed and causing the car to bang and jar all the way, it does remind me of some roads in the Third World. Call it hyperbolic, but I stand by it. Please don’t take my comment out of context though, I’m not saying Montreal looks like the Third World, I’m specifically speaking of road conditions in that paragraph.

Plateau is great, I would love to live there. I would also love to have a renovation company and go to town on lots and lots of buildings, they need it.

The visit I’m referencing was two summers ago. Call me nostalgic, but I like to revisit the same great places and go to the same great events I used to go when I lived in Montreal. Hell, I’d go back to Thunderdome if it was still open, see if the same gang still works there. If I ever leave the West Coast, when I come back I’d want to do the classic Vancouver things like go around Stanley Park on the Seawall.

———————————

• Mattyleg says:

I agree. And I can imagine that coming from a squeaky-clean tourist town like Whistler, where there is not enough of a perennial population to have a proper cultural scene, the graffiti here must be a bit of a shock, but I see that as being a highlight of Montreal. I send tourists here to look at the graffiti on purpose. There’s some amazing work, much of which is municipally subsidized. Tagging, on the other hand, is annoying, but there’s no way to ‘stamp out’ (a term which I find a trifle fascist) this kind of thing, unless you need to produce photo ID every time you want to buy a can of paint.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• OneTimer says:

I love good urban art, which sometimes is known as graffiti. I hate tags; they just look dumb.

• LA Loyalist says:

Are you ok with it on private property? If someone wants to rent a bill-board, or on their own property, fine, but they have no right to deface private or public property with their “art”, which by the way, is not art, it’s public mastu*ba*ion, which last time I checked was also a crime in most jurisdictions.

Would you like it if it was done to your house? Or your car?

• Mattyleg says:

I’m not sure I agree that painting colourful images on blank, cracked, and stained concrete walls is ‘defacing’ it.

Graffiti, for me, is indicative of a strong artistic subculture that feels the need to express itself. You have to ask yourself, what is more masturbat*ry (which I imagine you intend to mean self-indulgent); someone who paints so that people can see it for free, or someone who throws a vernissage to celebrate themselves and their work?

*Before people start, I have nothing against vernissages, it’s part of the point I’m making.*

Tagging, on the other hand, is idiocy incarnate, and I’ve seen plenty of nice murals ruined by taggers.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• OneTimer says:

LA Loyalist, you really come off as an idiot sometimes. So hostile. Look at mattyleg. He got it. The good urban art I was referring to is usually sanctioned by whoever owns the “canvas”. There’s tons of huge, colorful pieces in the plateau, for instance. I also saw many impressive pieces in Berlin last summer. They add a lot to a neighbourhood if done properly.

Tagging someone’s house or car is just straight up vandalism. Were you being purposefully dense in completely missing my point?

• Mattyleg says:

Ha! Funny, I was going to use Berlin as an example of amazing public art. Some of that stuff is incredible.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• LA Loyalist says:

God I would move to Whistler in about one second if we could move my wife’s business (which we can’t). I’m glad you could do it.

The only way to fix Quebec (or Calfornia, for that matter) is to massively cut taxes, both personal and business, which will stimulate investment and jobs, and will, ironically, generate MORE government revenue.

I miss Montreal terribly sometimes, but I’ve spent more time in Western Canada lately, Lake Louise, Banff, Calgary and Whistler, and they are pretty great. The highway from Calgary to Jasper and on, is so nice, you could play billiards on it.

And Big Rock beer, which is great, what’s the BC one with the “K”, sorry it escapes me… need to plan a trip…

46. Mattyleg says:

Just a general comment on the Montreal issue.

I find that the great majority of people who complain most bitterly about Montreal are people who have never lived anywhere else. Sure, they may have visited other cities, but visiting somewhere and actually living there for a good while are two different things. In my experience, it’s people who have only lived in Montreal that are the city’s biggest critics.

And that makes me laugh.

It’s like a girl who’s only ever had one boyfriend all her life, and all she does is cut him down because he’s not more like what she’d like him to be.

Don’t like Montreal? Go try living somewhere else. Worst that can happen is that you come back and truly appreciate the city for what a great place it is. Best that can happen is that you enjoy living somewhere else more!

Then you can save your complaining for other things. Like taxes. Or the weather.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• HabFanSince72 says:

Well, let’s have some balance here.

The fact is that our infrastructure is crumbing, our hospitals are a disaster, and the Charest govt has been derelict in its duties wrt inspecting the infrastructure and not taking on the corrupt construction industry (of course – the Liberals aren’t about to take on the mafia!).

On the other hand Hobie decries the fact that we don’t have condo parks as they do in Toronto and Vancouver. Yes, they make nice skylines. They don’t make nice neighborhoods though. Walk around the Toronto lakeshore. Thousands live there but the street life is horrible.

• Mattyleg says:

I agree, Montreal isn’t the Land of Milk and Honey. Not by a long shot. But moaners get me down. I could’ve lived in Ireland for the rest of my life, because there was a lot I loved about the place, but I found myself preoccupied with the unbelievable shittiness of the weather, so I left. I’m much happier here.

It’s not just Charest’s fault. I’m hardly an apologist for him, but I remember coming in along the Ville Marie in the late eighties and seeing the rusted exposed steel sticking out of the overpasses and thinking “that can’t be good…” So it’s really everyone’s fault for not looking after them since they were built. Both provincially AND municipally.

I don’t agree that a skyline covered in high-rises is attractive. Not by a long shot. The general architectural trend is moving away from high-rises, which clutter the horizon, and cause numerous problems such as air and noise pollution within cities, not to mention general warming effects.

I’m proud that Montreal has retained its traditional skyline, and welcomes other cities to sell their identity to the highest bidder.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Bill J says:

It’s not just Montreal. Is the entire province, the taxes you mention should be focused on repairing the roads and bridges.

Sad that when you cross the border into Ontario or the states, the roads go from crap. To smooth and relatively new.

If you want a days count till Habs hockey, I recommend this as your home page: http://bit.ly/mTnegr

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah, the bigwigs need to take some Roadbuilding 101 classes…

It’s all part of the problem that the governments need to buy from the lowest bidder.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• cuzzie says:

Interesting very very interesting! (said with a German accent).

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

47. Old Bald Bird says:

This didn’t work a minute ago. Now it will probably appear twice.

Engels on PP prospects for the coming year.

48. JasonM says:

Hopefully he is indeed an upgrade over Brunet. I also hope they improve the sound quality of the station. Compared to CBC the sounds from the game itself is far more crisp.

49. habsfan0 says:

Today’s a holiday in Ontario..think I’ll do something exciting..like take a stroll on the CN Tower Edgewalk..MUCH safer than driving under one of Montreal’s overpasses or bridges..

• LA Loyalist says:

Go drive on the Gardener for excitement :-) toronto ain’t all that.

I’m from Unionville, and have lived in Nice, Paris, Montreal, Los Angeles and Toronto.

On that list, Toronto is last (though I admit slightly ahead of Buffalo or Cleveland). :)

• Mc says:

Just don’t drive on Lakeshore Blvd…..bits of the Gardiner might fall on you…….

Cheers

50. SyntaxLove says:

Trading Lapierre was the highlight of last season for me. I have no love for the Bruins, but I hate Lapierre. He’s up there with Carcillo & Cooke.

“He thinks it’s funny. I think the way he plays is funny.” Love you too, Ray!

Chinchillin’

51. olegpetrov says:

Rather off topic thread but here it goes. I am moving to Ottawa at the end of the month and was wondering if anybody had suggestions for which ISP and TV provider I should go with so that i can watch Habs games on RDS. Or is it worthwhile to simply get the package that RDS offers online? I’ve looked at Rogers and they kinda sucks and Bell, well, they are internet bullies. Just looking for some suggestions. Thanks.

Habs fan…Nuff said

52. ooder says:

the streets in montreal are worst then baghdads
    it’s so embarrassing that the second you leave Quebec it’s like driving on egg shells.
    ——————
    The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

I have been to mtl about 5 times, always for hockey games. Everytime I have loved the city and the atmosphere of the city! I am sure every city in Canada can be picked apart, our winters and increased traffic are destoying roads everywhere.
    Afterall the gardner expressway has been falling apart for years in TO, I just drive faster lol.

Sitting at Port Dover beach taking in the sights of what fast food has done to Canadians!

54. ed lopaz says:

reading some of the posts below about Montreal has my blood boiling on this muggy 1st day of August.

If you have ZERO knowledge about Montreal, Quebec, its politics, its beauty, its cleanliness, its charm….

then why not go golfing or fishing today!!

• Hobie Hansen says:

I was boating and golfing Fri-Sat-Sun. Stuck at work today…

• Bill J says:

If posts here are making your blood boil, perhaps you should take your own advice and go fishing ?

• HardHabits says:

STFU. I live in Montreal. The comments are correct.

• geo_habsgo says:

You’re right but you can’t discount all the problems that this city does have. That being said, those making comments about what a dirty and run down city Montreal is are completely off base. Real estates booming now businesses are coming back into the city and we are finally starting to look like the kind of city we were 30 years ago. Every city has its problems and ours will always be language politics and poor infrastructure but that doesn’t mean that Montreal is completely devoid of character and charm. I’d love to hear of some cities that can even compete with Montreal on a cultural and artistic front.

• ed lopaz says:

well….who would have thought that the Plateau would be selling condos at $500,000 + for 2 bedrooms?

was that happening 12 years ago??

or in NDG, where duplexs are being split into 2 condos and being sold for $300,000 + EACH UNIT; when 12 years ago people were living in those same apartments and paying very low rents, and the owner of the Duplex would have been happy to sell for $250,000 for BOTH UNITS.

those increases in the real estate market are only 2 small examples.

I know people who own properties in Verdun that have doubled in the last 5 years; $250,000 fourplex buildings now being sold for more than $500,000.

so when people come on here and say “nothing has changed” in 12 years,

buildings are falling apart in NDG and the Plateau,

or others come on and call Montreal and Quebec a “3rd world country”,

maybe they should consider the facts???

• Hobie Hansen says:

Ed, you’re a very passionate Montrealer and that’s a great thing!

And it’s great that small pockets of the city have been coming back to life! It’s great that there’s some expensive condos and real estate on the market today.

However, it is a very slow and painful process.

I’m sure you could go online and find expensive condos in Baghdad if you looked hard enough?

Take a look at the downtown areas of Vancouver, Calgary and yes Toronto. The views and areal shots and jaw dropping and beautiful. The Montreal skyline looks the same as it did in 1975.

Montreal is slowly clawing itself back to life but the city is far behind and the politics and policies are to blame.

Its a shame.

• HardHabits says:

To say Montreal is leader in the cultural and artistic front is to say that it is a subsidized (or welfare) state.

Don’t get me wrong though, business, especially banks and the military, get way more subsidies (in other words welfare) than artists do.

• HabFanSince72 says:

This is just silly. All developed countries have subsidies for the arts. Canada’s (and Quebec’s) are modest compared to European countries.

• HardHabits says:

Yes but North Americans have more subsidies for the military-industrial complex.

As for Banks, there’s nothing better than printing money and lending it at interest. Can you say Ka-ching!

Then there’s Religion which makes a profit for offering nothing, other than keeping the masses servile and orderly. Talk about genius.

Now that’s silly!

• t1tan5 says:

Why? The Turcotte interchange may be a horrible disaster, but it’s OUR horrible disaster.

55. Garghamel says:

It’s about time! I thought my 273 e-mails to RDS’ front office had fallen on deaf ears. Good riddance.

56. habsnyc says:

whatever happened to the plan for building this team through the draft? i am looking at the number of draft picks and prospects traded away over the past four seasons. while i have no problem with trading draft picks, i am unclear if montreal has anything to show for the three second round picks, two thirds and the first they traded away since 2008. granted the team has received a third and three extra fourth round picks over that period. but it seems to me that the team cut ties with at least eight drafted players who still take a regular shift in the NHL and total netted one new young player from all that activity.

is this churn the result of bad judgement? making the most of bad drafting? or perhaps an optimistic belief that the franchise was in win now mode and gave up on the future for a shot at the Cup?

it seems to me the team is committed to reaching the playoffs each season at the cost of the longer term building blocks for potentially constistently going deep in the playoffs.

• HardHabits says:

You just figured this out now?

• HabFanSince72 says:

Yes and no.

Some of the draft pick trades made sense at the time. Tanguay for a 1st and a 2nd – remember we finished first in the East the previous year and he really looked like the missing piece of the puzzle. Wiz for a 2nd – again not a bad trade given the Markov injury.

Some of the others are less good. Matthieu Schneider – he helped get us into the playoffs but was that worth a 2nd and a 3rd?

I think our biggest problem over the years has been losing patience with young talented players who had personality issues. No need to list them again.

57. habsfan0 says:

I wonder how many broadcasts it’ll take for fans to gripe about Marc Denis,who may be articulate and analytical,but has been accused of being dull. I still can’t figure out why RDS replaced Yvon Pedneault with Benoit Brunet.

• Jon202 says:

I agree 200%. Houde and Pedneault were da bomb. Apparently Pedneault/RDS couldn’t come to terms on $$$.

Denis has as much voice intonation as Steven Wright on a good night.

• SyntaxLove says:

When I was little my mom was always feeding me pancakes with maple syrup, then she switched to truth serum. I’d be eating the pancakes saying “I’m the one who broke the window…” I caught on to this, I realized every time I ate pancakes a few hours later I got the hell beat out of me…One day she said “Steve, you want some pancakes?” I said, “no, I don’t like pancakes.” She said, “you want some waffles?” I said, “sure, I’ll take some waffles.”

Few hours later I got the hell beat out of me.

Chinchillin’

• G-Man says:

Pedneault was ousted for being too negative about non-French Habs players. He was non-stop about it, much like ayoi-Brunet.

• Bill J says:

Yvon?

I remember his blunders too!

Far too often talking about something completely un-Hab related, while the game was being played. More then a few missed goals because of it.

Yvon was good, but not without his own imperfections.

t1tan5, perhaps it was the tremendous success of the Leafs franchise from 77 through the 80′s. A lineage of great gm’s like Stellick and coaches like Brophy all ran by an owner whose experience in running the circus every year at MLG was in fact perfect training for running the Leafs! Can’t think of what else it could be…

59. Hobie Hansen says:

Pretty crazy that in 2011 you can only get 1/3 of the games in English. I understand enough French to get by and enjoy the games on RDS but I wouldn’t be able to count the amount of times I’ve heard a hockey fan say they’d rather watch something else than listen to the game in French…

• G-Man says:

Well if they wish to remain unilingual, it’s their choice. Many folks these days use 2 or 3 to get along.

• Jay R says:

I also understand enough French to get by (most often), but I tell you, I much prefer to watch RDS and understand some of the commentary, than to watch the CBC’s Hockey Night in Canada with Bob Cole, and the rest of the boston / Toronto lovers. Every time I turn on a Canadiens game on CBC, withn 10 minutes I’m yelling at the announcers for being so biased and I get pissed off and switch to RDS. My French isn’t that good, but my blood pressure is better…

As for which French commentators / colour man is talking, I guess I’m ok with anyone since I only get parts of the converstation anyways.

An Anglo’s thoughts on the topic.

I”m just appreciative that there’s an alternative to listening to CBC’s Hockey Night in Canada!

Jay.

25 is a nice round number…waiting patiently

• Hobie Hansen says:

Oh I get a little annoyed with many English broadcasters too.
        However, we’re diehards and quickly pickup on every comment that is made about our Canadiens.

There are so many casual fans out there that don’t hang on every word but would still enjoy watching a game in English. They see French only and flip to one of their other 500 stations and watch a different program or sporting event. Just strange that the TV networks and team itself would want to shut out thousands of fans across the country and even in Quebec.

• G-Man says:

It’s more about how many games TSN can air without cutting out laffs games. Even so, TSN and CBC are both full of anti-Habs bias.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Every single network/broadcaster that doesn’t praise the Canadiens at the end of every statement is is anti-Canadiens, according to most people on this site.

Are there some analysts that used to play for the Oilers or live in Toronto that are a bit negative towards the Habs, absolutely.

However, it is just amazing how so many people from Montreal get their backs up with this topic.

I’ve lived in Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa and Calgary and this topic only comes up with Montreal fans.

• SyntaxLove says:

Mate, Bob Cole loves the Canadiens. During the first round CBC coverage he would refer to most Boston players as “the Boston player.”

Chinchillin’

• G-Man says:

@Hobie- The last 10 seasons, watching the CBC or TSN has been an exercise in frustration. So much love for the Toronto laffs from the ground up and so much hate towards the Habs. The jealousy of the Habs success leaves me cold. They are ignorant of the team and the fan base and they display it too often.

• Hobie Hansen says:

@G-Man
            Like I said, many people share your opinion. I am in the minority I guess. I do hear it on occasion but I also hear negative stuff about a lot of other teams.

• SyntaxLove says:

I feel I’m between a rock and a hard place with Canadiens coverage. There’s something about the cadence of Joel Bouchard that just sort of annoys me. And they’re just like us, they criticize the team incessantly. Bob Cole is practically senile though, so…yeah.

Bell satellite offers the TSN Habs channel for 24 games a year and CBC has 16, so the maximum appears to be half the games receiving bilingual coverage.

I usually just stream a horrible version of the opponent’s feed because I can’t get tsn habs. I’ll just start watching more RDS, do it properly (horrible stream of RDS feed, because I don’t get that either.)

Chinchillin’

60. t1tan5 says:

Thank you! Brunet was BRUTAL.

61. HabFanSince72 says:

. A selection of headlines from today’s Gazette (A section):

The Beard Champ.
    Apes Prequel May Set New Standard.
    Having house guests can be a real chore these days.
    Store stands on it’s own two feet. (about a shoe store – more shoe puns in the accompanying story)

62. G-Man says:

Now we have concrete evidence that the Ville Marie tunnel is dangerous. Remember, it was all the same construction companies and techniques used throughout the island. Soon, it will be 1 island, 1 bridge.

Ya! The political language game in Quebec has taken this province from a great leader of this country to a 3rd world province. The infrastructure has been neglected for so many years, it is a crime.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Nothing to do with language politics mate.

A piece of concrete falls and you immediately think of language. Even a hardcore separatist wouldn’t make that connection.

• bwoar says:

It’s all in where Quebecers want to put their money. It’s a proven fact that Quebecers want the political language and culture war fought daily rather than fixing critical infrastructure. Were it different the politics might have changed in my grandfather’s lifetime. I understand Ian’s frustration.

But this is normal for people. Over here in Manitoba it’s a proven fact that Manitobans can’t be trusted to run anything bigger than a tractor… were it different we might have been trusted with Northwestern Ontario.

• t1tan5 says:

There was a time when Montreal was Canada’s alpha city. It was the destination for companies and tourists and by far the largest city in Canada. Then SOMETHING happened that scared many of the companies and money away to Toronto. What could that have been?

• Hobie Hansen says:

I lived in the Plateau and NDG and moved away from Montreal in 1999. The buildings and the areas I lived in at the time were so old and run down that I couldn’t possibly imagine anyone living there for more than a year or two after I left.
          12 years later, hardly a thing has changed in either of the neighborhoods.
          My girlfriend is from Alberta and she is taken back by how old and dirty Montreal is.
          Bridges and overpasses crumbling, buildings housing people that should be condemned. You see that in here or there in cities but in Montreal it’s everywhere.
          In most other cities in Canada these properties would be prime real estate and would have been bought up by a developer and redeveloped.
          I absolutely love Montreal, don’t get me wrong! But it’s pretty disturbing that a large part of the city is rotting away and nobody seems interested in fixing it.

• HabFanSince72 says:

You don’t know what you’re talking about.

Montreal real estate is booming and has been for about 15 years. I’m fairly sure you couldn’t afford to buy a place in the Plateau. I know a couple of doctors from Edmonton who would love to move here but they are afraid they couldn’t afford the real estate.

• Hobie Hansen says:

As I stated, my opinion is quite amateur.

All I’m saying is that much of the city was in bad shape 12 years ago and is even worse today.

When I walk up and down St. Laurent or around NDG hardly a thing has changed since the late 90s and things were pretty dirty and in need of a facelift at that time.

If I won the lotto and could retire today I’d still move to Montreal tomorrow, buy a house and get season tickets for the Habs.

But more than any other city I’ve been to in Canada, the downtown core of Montreal is in by far the worst shape.

• t1tan5 says:

What? Real estate is doing very well in Montreal. And as a city, I think it’s pretty clean for North American standards. The only issue I have with the city is how it takes forever to get anything done. Our Metro system is in bad need of an update. They’ve been discussing getting new carts for about 10 years, it seems. As a driver, I can attest to the fact that the roads here are quite possibly the worst in Canada and maybe the worst for a big city in North America. I’m not talking only about the quality of the roads themselves, but also the infrastructure. Going downtown from the west island, highway 20 goes from 2 lanes, to 3 lanes, to 2 lanes, to 3 lanes, to 2 lanes, to 4 lanes, to 2 lanes, to 4 lanes. This causes a huge cluster#@#$ of traffic in the morning and during the evening rush hour.

• Clay says:

Having lived in Asia for the past decade, I can tell you the destination of choice for most people I have met here is Vancouver, NOT Toronto.

__________________________
          Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

Winston Churchill

64. dschartrand says:

Marc Denis is certainly an upgrade from Brunet. Now if they could only replace Pierre Houde, I could also listen to the games…not just watch.
    Just do F1 Pierre – leave hockey to people who jnow what they’re talking about

papi

65. habs001 says:

i dont think diaz was brought over to play for hamilton…i believe management believes he can play in the nhl now…if he looks solid in camp it will be interesting to see how the d is configured…

66. RGM says:

Important news: Hockey is back NEXT MONTH!

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

67. davecessna says:

The Islanders may suck a bag of proverbial genitalia, but at least I’m not mortally afraid of driving my car through a tunnel or over a bridge, or taking the subway around New York.

You’d think the Habs would try to pressure the government into making the Ville-Marie safe, a whole bunch of fans use it every game.

• Bill J says:

Perhaps the citizens that use it would inform local elected officials of their displeasure ?

Why do the Habs have to solve on ice issues AND community issues too ?

• davecessna says:

I keep sending them letter bombs but they get lost in the Canada Post system :).

Seriously though, they don’t listen to us. But for the Habs? Hoo baby, let’s rename a street, put on extra police officers for games, sell ad space everywhere and anywhere.

I’m not naive enough to believe it would happen, but driving over/under multiple overpasses is starting to feel like russian roulette.

• davecessna says:

Without the vodka.

• HardHabits says:

Years of the Parti Quebecois focusing on destroying rather than building bridges has taken its toll on Quebec roads.

And to think Quebeckers want to change government just for the sake of change. I just hope the PQ gets the same result as the BQ did.

• Bill J says:

I haven’t been back to Montreal in 10+ years now sadly. But I can remember bad Quebec roads and bridges going back 30 years now. It’s rather sad, and embarrassing.

• punkster says:

Shifting gears…thanks for the link last night to Hindle. Interesting viewpoints.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• JF says:

Montreal’s bad roads are much older than the Parti Québécois. In the 1860′s, the British novelist Anthony Trollope travelled extensively in North America. His only comment about Montreal was that the roads were execrable.

• Un Canadien errant says:

From a Quebecer who is now an outsider, I have to say that the road infrastructure in Montreal is shocking. It looks awful, the concrete is stained and cracked, the road surface is horrible and there are graffiti everywhere. As proud as I am about my home province, I’m embarrassed by how it looks when I drive in from Dorval. It really does have a third world feel. I don’t know if it has gotten worse since I left in 1990, or whether I just never noticed it while I was living in it.

———————————

68. Neutral says:

Hope PG waits till after training camp to fill the 4th line if nothing pans out maybe a trade better than spending money on someone’s left overs…..

69. olegpetrov says:

yeah i’m originally from Winnipeg and LOVED Shaw Cable. Would be nice if they branched out to Ottawa!

Habs fan…Nuff said

70. SyntaxLove says:

hahaha, whenever I listen to PJ Stock on CBC I’m just thinking “what the frak is he talking about?!” Then Kelly Hrudey makes a “wtf is he talking about” face. I just assumed he was better in French!

Chinchillin’

71. Mattyleg says:

Totally. I can’t watch hockey in English. It’s too painful. Having to listen to Pierre McGuire booyah like a college football fratboy and slog through the meaningless drivel that they call analysis on TSN (I’m not even going to touch CBC) makes my insides churn.

Gimme Pierre, Joel, Alain and Frankie Gagnon any day. Tremblay I can do without.

But PJ Stock. I mean, honestly, he doesn’t have a clue. Just a big, irrititating yap. They tried him out on CHOM here in Mtl, and sacked him because all he did was argue and be difficult. I stopped listening to the morning show because of him. Yeeesh.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

72. LA Loyalist says:

You may not be old enough to remember this, but there was a funny joke back when John Crosbie (heavy Newfoundland dialect) and Jean Chretien (Le p’tit gars de Shawinigan) were both trying to run for Prime Minister, and wags would say that neither of them could speak either official language.

Maybe you had to be there :-)

Why is why I have a vaporizer.