New TV package aimed at Habs fans across country

Scott Moore, a self-professed Canadiens fan who is the president of Sportsnet and NHL Properties for Rogers Media, was among those on hand for a news conference Wednesday in Boucherville as TVA launched its inaugural season of French-language NHL coverage.

Rogers also announced on Wednesday a new package that will allow Habs fans across the country to watch all 82 regular-season games on TV. Before Wednesday’s announcement, Canadiens fans living west of Belleville, Ont., wouldn’t have had access to the regional coverage unless they paid $200 for the NHL Centre Ice TV package.

Rogers announced Wednesday that fans outside of Montreal and Ottawa broadcast regions can now also get up to 111 games broadcast live in French, including the Canadiens (60 games) and the Senators (54 games) on both Rogers NHL GameCentre LIVE (the NHL streaming service) and on TV with NHL Centre Ice. The 60 non-regional Habs games and the 54 Senators games will be available for $60 to those outside the regional market.

“Canadiens fans have more access to their team’s games than any fan base in Canada,” Moore told reporters in Boucherville. “They can see more games, for example, than a Leafs fan in Vancouver. We’ve put together a French-language package which will allow fans to see 60 Canadiens games and 54 Ottawa Senators.”

When Rogers outbid TSN for the national rights last November, paying $5.2 billion over 12 years, it sold the French rights to TVA and RDS had to make do with regional packages involving the Canadiens and Senators.

TVA Sports is paying more than $1.3 billion for the national French TV rights over 12 years and the network will be offering more than 330 NHL games this season, beginning with the Montreal-Toronto season opener on Oct. 8.

One drawback for TVA is that the schedule only includes 22 Canadiens games. The other 60 regular-season games are part of the RDS regional package. RDS will also televise all seven Habs pre-season games.

Félix Seguin will be the main play-by-play voice for TVA and former NHL goaltender Patrick Lalime will join him in the booth. Reporter Renaud Lavoie, who left RDS, will also be part of the TVA team and Louis Jean will host the telecasts. Former Habs Patrice Brisebois, José Theodore and Mathieu Dandenault will be among the TVA analysts.

Rogers also announced on Wednesday that starting this January, fans in Quebec with Rogers NHL GameCentre and a TVA Sports subscription from a participating television provider can watch live French broadcasts of over 100 national games featuring all of the Canadian teams.

Also in attendance at Wednesday’s news conference were NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, NHL chief operating officer John Collins, former prime minister Brian Mulroney, Canadiens owner Geoff Molson, TVA Sports president Pierre Dion and former NHL stars, including Yvan Cournoyer.

(Photo by Paul Chiasson/The Canadian Press)

TV package aimed at Habs fans, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Questions and answers about Rogers NHL coverage, Rogers.com

Bettman throws cold water on Quebec City, by Pat Hickey

Mulroney chose education over hockey, by Pat Hickey

NHL, TVA launch French-language agreement, NHL.com

Rogers NHL GameCentre Live lifts more blackouts, Sportsnet.ca

Rogers offers special Habs deal for rest of Canada, Fagstein.com

Plekanec a summer workhorse, Canadiens.com

Canadiens Idol: Habs holding auditions for new anthem singer, Stu on Sports blog

1. gumper says:

This from the fagstein.com link above:

But Rogers is offering a separate deal that contains just the RDS regional games — 60 Canadiens games and 54 Ottawa Senators games — for $60 for the season. That might be enough for the hard-core fans to accept. (Note that this is for fans outside the Canadiens and Senators market, which is all of Quebec, all of Atlantic Canada and the part of Ontario that’s east of Belleville and Pembroke.)

If this is true, for me it’s the way to go. I assume that all the TVA and Sportsnet national broadcasts will also be covered by RDS, so no chance of boosting the total game count that way. So, essentially I would subscribe to RDS to gain an extra 20 games for $60, plus I have the option of not listening to the Toronto-centric broadcasts. Not thrilled, but not despondent.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
    Mark Twain

2. shiram says:

New thread, more about the tv deals…

3. shiram says:

Patches fights Morgan Rielly in pre season brawl.

4. mrhabby says:

Iam paying for Centre Ice..Don’t care how much it is. Will watch all the games. Merci.

5. Habshire says:

There’s something unfair about Rogers using their monoply to lure in new customers by giving away free hockey. The other providers should take them to court.

• Luke says:

They’re using properties they own the rights to, to lure in new customers,
      Sort of like how TSN is luring customers with the NFL.

Of the NHL does when it gives away gobs of free tickets in the Sunshine State.

I don’t think this example falls under Unfair Competition. There’s plenty of other events in the world of Telecom and Cable/Satellite that do, but this is simply a rights owner offering it’s product as it sees fit.

Agree Luke, I actually have zero issue with whatever the Rogers/TVA consortium does, or what they charge. My issue is the soapbox speech about how great this deal is, how wonderful all the viewers will feel, yet they still can’t detail what it is they are offering. Besides of course the Shakespearean thoughts of Kypreos.

6. clutch73 says:

So if your francophone and live outside Quebec your still SOL watching any RDS games in French.

• Timo says:

Oui

Correction: living outside of Mtl Canadiens region, not the province of Quebec necessarily.

• B says:

As per the Q&A from Rogers article linked above:

…”This October, fans outside of Montreal and Ottawa broadcast regions can also get up to 111 games broadcast live in French, including les Canadiens (60 games) and les Sénateurs (54 games) on both Rogers NHL GameCentre LIVE™ and on TV with Centre Ice®.

Starting in October, customers can also subscribe to a French-only package that includes select out-of-market regional games for $59.99 for the 2014 – 2015 season.”

–Go Habs Go!–

• clutch73 says:

Is this for Rogers only subscribers?

• B says:

As per the Fagstein article linked above: The 60 Habs games mentioned above are the RDS games. One has to be subscribed to either Sportsnet or TVA sports to get access to the additional “French-only package” mentioned above and that your TV provider has to participate in the Rogers program.

So, combine this with the already announced 22 national Habs games in French exclusively on TVA sports (ie:not on RDS), this allows access outside of the region to all of the Habs games in French. I don’t know about all the cable companies to the west, but I believe Bell satellite will “participate in the Rogers program”. I think it basically means that if they provide the Rogers channels (Sportsnet etc and / or TVA sports) then they should be participating in the mechanism to verify your subscription as required to allow access to the “French-only package”.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Maritime Ronn says:

Nope – not here in Nova Scotia.
      We have RDS access – no habs blackouts.
      Statscan reports that 31,000 of the population has French as its Mother tongue. ( I don’t know where they’re hiding) but RDS (or is it Rogers?) in their wisdom deemed NS….

7. adamkennelly says:

ton of talk about how to best set up to see all the Habs games…talk about 2014 first world problems…..I’m sure I would be concerned as well if I wasn’t forced to buy Center Ice but I have no other choice if I want to watch games on TV…I’m too lazy or not cheap enough to bother with the internet option as a solution – also – live sports is about the only reason to buy any kind of TV content..I use DirectTV cause I am also addicted to NFL.

• Luke says:

There’s 40 HD games on normal TV for everyone. (Sportsnet channels/CBC/City)
      The other 42 HD on CentreIce if I want them.

There’s some other finagling around if you so chose, but that’s the easy solution for those who aren’t going to mess around with Streaming or whatnot.

8. edm_habsfan says:

Greetings, new poster here but I’d thought I’d add my 2 cents plus gst to this issue. I’m a habs fan in Edmonton and I’m also unsure what the new tv system’s gonna look like come October. I’m with Bell right now and have RDS so I am going to go with the status quo for now.
    I figure my best course of action is tune into RDS when the puck drops in October and act accordingly. Sure, you may miss a game or two but I figure it beats the uncertainty or locking yourself into a bad contract now. I’m also pretty sure that there will be more deals and promotions at around that time too. Memory also serves that there is usually a two week free preview for Centre Ice from most providers so I wouldn’t worry too much about missing any games when the season starts.
    Signature intentionally left blank.

We are having such a first world problem here :)

Sean Gordon of the Globe and Mail, discussing the cozy relationship between Quebecor and Bettman.

11. savethepuck says:

Not sure if this is a surprise to anyone on here, but here is #4 on the top 25 under 25 countdown;

Tomorrow we will see #3 Nathan Beaulieu, followed by #2 Brendan Gallagher and then #1 Alex Galchenyuk.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• shiram says:

Site won’t load right now, but this got me thinking of Patrick Holland, and how he’s slipped down the depth chart and has not lived up to the little hype that surrounded him when the trade for Bourque was made.

Maybe Berkshire was hired by an NHL club and the site is now down?

• savethepuck says:

Definitely a case of how hard it is to predict how a young player is going to development. There is no formula for it. Sometimes it is bad luck and all it takes is a couple of injuries so a player can’t train properly in the off season and sometimes it is just a matter of younger guys developing better and passing a prospect on the depth chart. There is no way I would of predicted the change in Bournival over just last summer. It looked like he had a mediocre AHL season the year before
        ( stats wise anyway ), and then he comes in and makes the Habs right out of camp. He passed a lot of players over 1 summer. I also attribute the decline of Louis LeBlanc to the shoulder injuries he sustained soon after drafted and not being able to properly train over the summers, but maybe I’m just naive.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• shiram says:

Leblanc’s ankle injury slowed him down a lot as well, at least in development.

And low numbers in Hamilton is somewhat misleading, they’ve been a team of rookies for a few years now, and they’ve had a tough time scoring.

Gallagher had a better pace of production in the NHL than he did in Hamilton.

• savethepuck says:

Forgot about the high ankle sprain for LeBlanc.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
            Carey Price

12. Maritime Ronn says:

It is said that ‘Road Rage’ is nothing to laugh about, but this has to be the exception to the rule.
    Hilarious!

13. savethepuck says:

Not at all surprised that people are contacting their service providers and getting different messages depending on which customer service rep they are getting at that company’s call center. There are times I have called Rogers and knew I was talking to someone that wasn’t necessarily “qualified”, so I’d just say thank you , hang up and call back to stay on hold for another 15 minutes in hopes to get someone that knew what they were talking about. And “supervisors” don’t always have the right answers either.In this case, some of this news is only 1 or 2 days old, so you are bound to get conflicting opinions. Hockey season is not for another 34 days. I’m going to sit back and relax, watch my preseason games on RDS ( I know this is not an option West of Belleville ) and just before start of season I will figure out whether or not I have to change my current cable package or possibly provider. At that time when I call maybe the people I am talking to will be more informed or there could possibly be newer or better deals between now and then.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

To those who enjoy baseball and specifically Ichiro Suzuki, here is a real neat story about the guy.

15. habs_1978 says:

I don’t have Rogers. I don’t want Rogers. I live in Edmonton…..this doesn’t help a lot. That is all.

16. Un Canadien errant says:

Greg Wyshynski ✔ @wyshynski

(Sorry I’m hung up on this Crosby thing. I worked at a newspaper for 9 years. Level of incompetence to allow that story to publish = epic)

from: http://www.si.com/nhl/2014/09/03/twittersphere-has-fun-sidney-crosby-hoax

And really, Sun Media and Québecor is being let off easy on this.

If I was Sidney Crosby, I’d threaten a lawsuit for defamation, unless Québecor made a $1M donation to a charity or something, over and above their budgeted charity budgeted amount to reduce their tax burden.

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

• Maritime Ronn says:

Sometimes it’s best just to let things fade away.
      As you know quite well, these things are forgotten quickly.

If Sid brings attention to this and wants to play it out, Sun media/journal de Montreal have some folks that can dig up any kind of dirt…whether true or false.
      Every yahoo in the world will come out with a bad Sid story.
      He can’t win that game no matter how squeaky clean his image is so far.

• Luke says:

They should be made to explain exactly how a story about the highest profile Canadian athlete’s arrest was published without any sort of verification.

And, I mean right from, “Tony sits down at his desk, with his coffee and turns on his computer” right through to “And then it is published to that IntraNet thing.”

• Un Canadien errant says:

Am I wrong that there used to be an ombudsman who oversaw news media and guarded against these failures and excesses. Or a participatory panel of some sort?

The kneejerk response might be that they’ll be punished in the marketplace, but I highly doubt that. A lot of us are about to fork over major dough in TVA’s direction. Thanks to Gary Bettman.

17. shiram says:

All this confusion just reinforces my thoughts that there should be an all inclusive online streaming package that allows you to watch all the team’s game.
    Playoffs, pre season, regular season, all included.
    Heck, they could even include stuff like 24CH in there…

They could even put it on netflix or something, make it easy on the customers.

• Hobie says:

That would be nice. But the purpose off all theses blackouts and regions and everything is to avoid people cancelling their cable.

What you’re suggesting will probably happen one day but they will incorporate the cost of a person’s monthly cable bill into it.

So it will be hundreds of dollars. I’m guessing around $500. If there was a Habs app or a Netflix option, 75% of people would just cancel cable and the cable companies would lose millions.

• shiram says:

I know it’s probably not going to happen until the NHL signs a new broadcasting contract.
        There have to be clauses in there that make it so it cannot be as open online as I’d want it.

And there’s now way I’d willing to pay 500$ to watch the Habs season, that’s a ridiculous amount of money.
        If game center is 100-200$, i don’t see why it should be all that much more, if a new broadcasting deal is struck.

18. Hobie says:

So I have a friend in Peterborough, yes I have friends, and we’re trying to figure out if he’s in the Habs regional area. I don’t think so?

Last year he got the TSN Habs channel on Bell and got a bunch of games I didn’t get in English but that’s completely different. That didn’t mean he was in the Habs region, I don’t think.

19. plum says:

Okay, so here’s my understanding of all this:

- (1) National televised Habs games: 40. This means everyone across Canada with standard cable package (ie CBC, Sportsnet, etc.) get at LEAST 40 habs games.
    - (2) Regional televised Habs games: 42. Regional telecasts apparently include all regions East of Belleville (this includes: Quebec, all Atlantic provinces, and the portion of Ontario east of Belleville). Standard cable package applies here as well.
    - (3) All provinces (and the portion of Ontario) West of Belleville will NOT receive Regional Habs games with standard cable. People in these areas will need either (a) NHL GameCenter Live, or (b) RDS subscription in order to watch the aforementioned 42 Regional games.

I live in Newfoundland, so with my trusty standard cable package, I can watch all 82 Habs games this season, correct?

Someone please correct me if I’m misinformed.

Ok, so here is my story re Bell / NHL CEnter Ice.

Got a screenshot of that 2 x $24.99 thing handy, although as you read the fine print it states “Don’t miss a minute of the 2013-14 NHL® season. ” So it is indeed the last season’s or portion of it price.

Anyway…

Called Bell and said that I am looking at this promo on their website for NHL CenterIce at 2x$24.99. The girl who no speaka english good (just like me) says can I put you on hold. Come back and says that as a loyal customer I can get 2 months free (Oct, Nov). Great, I say. But after november I want the rest of the season for 2 x $24.99. She says ok and puts me on hold again. Then she comes back saying she in waiting for confirmation from NHL CenterIce (whoever the F they are). I tell her why do you need to confirm. You have a promo on your website, I want it, let’s just do it. She says she need the confirmation. Puts me on hold again, comes back and says that after Nov I pay 2 x $24.99. I say fine, please send me email confirming all that, including that my payment in the end of Nov will be 2x$24.99. She says of course, adds NHL CenterIce to my lineup (confirmed) and we amicably say goodbye to each other.

I get the email but it just states that the NHL center ice has been added but nothing about the price. I check my bell profile and it’s there for $0.00 which I assume will last 2 months. So, remains to be seen and I get a feeling that one the free trial expires it won’t be 2x$24.99 but for now I get it for fee so whatever.

Here is my Bell story.

21. cdhc says:

As another southern ontarian, i’m pretty pleased to have the option to grab these 60 Habs games for a buck a game and access through GameCentre Live on my PS3 on the big screen

Good Evening Ladies and Gentleman, this is Danny Gallivan along with Dick Irvin from the Forum in Montreal!

22. gumper says:

Okay, so my head exploded about a half hour ago. With the bits I’ve been able to reassemble, this is what I think I know:
    1. Centre Ice will be broadcasting 60 Habs games. These will be English language broadcasts, mostly from the “hostile” point of view. I called my provider, Shaw, and was told to call back later as they haven’t yet set their price. I was also told that Centre Ice was “the only way to view Habs” this season.
    2. Sportsnet will be broadcasting 40 Habs games this year, but I don’t know how to determine if there is any overlap between them and Centre Ice. My assumption is that any games I can get from Sportsnet will not also be available to me on Centre Ice. The Sportsnet broadcasts, I think, will be carried on a variety of venues including CBC, City TV, and the Sportnets channels themselves. I am told by the Shaw rep that I’m already getting all those channels with the slightly-more-than-basic package I now have.
    3. TVA is carrying 22 nationally broadcast games. Again I do not know how to cross-reference these against Sportsnet’s 40 or Centre Ice’s 60, to decide whether it’s worthwhile to subscribe. (By the way, 60 plus 22 equals 82. Is it just coincidence, or dare I hope?) Shaw tells me I can buy TVA Sport for $2.49 a month, but I see in the above article that they won’t be able to start broadcasting till January, so no rush to make that decision.

At this point, pending Shaw’s decision on Centre Ice pricing, I am leaning towards going with the 40 “free” games from Sportnet, plus the 22 from TVA at $2.49, so long as I can determine that there is little or no overlap. This would satisfy the inclinations of my Scottish blood, provide me with 20 games worth of additional family time and allow for one tiny protest against the Bettman/Centre Ice plot.

Thanks to those who have been patient enough to follow me through this long-winded prattle.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.

Mark Twain

• Ozmodiar says:

I think the easiest way to watch all 82 Habs games is to travel with the team.

I think the 22 TVA games are going to be the ones which are part of the 40 Sportnet games myself. I get the impression TVA will be National Broadcast games, therefore on the same nights as the 40 Sportsnet/City/CBC/Bravo/A&E/NtlGeographic/Playboy/Weathernetwork Channel games.

• lach60 says:

I was going to say that myself. I think you are correct in that assumption.

There’s no point in getting TVA as all those games are nationally televised anyways.

• savethepuck says:

I am 99.99999% sure that you are correct on this.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yes. There is no need for RDS, since they’re blacked out now, unless you enjoy their other coverage, and shows like l’Antichambre, and no need for TVA Sports, since the ‘national’ games they cover will be on the Sportsnet hegemony also. I think TVA and Sportsnet will both be clown outfits, but I already get Sportsnet in my sports package, so I’ll go with them, and maybe mute them and synch them with the TSN Montréal feed, or a streamed RDS feed.

23. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

So, we’re all clear on how we’re all going to get access to every Hab game right across this great country of ours at a reasonable price for this coming season, right? LOL.

Hab fans want choice! Sign the petition to give us back our games!

24. JohnBellyful says:

Hello, Rogers? Hi, my name is Bob Newhart, and I live west of Belleville. Pardon? No, Belleville. The city. I know this is Rogers. I’m calling about a television package so I can watch all 82 Montreal Canadiens games. Yeah, the hockey team. The Leafs? Yeah, they’re okay, I guess. Don’t really follow them that much. I’m a playoff hockey man myself. So what I was ca -what’s that? Rogers owns part of the Leafs? Ahh, that’s nice. Which part, the peticle [chuckles timidly]? No, no, that was a joke. So, as I was askingPardon? No, I wasn’t being snippy. All I want to know is, um, can I sign up to see, you know, all 82 Canadien games? Yeah, all 82. Unhh? Well, I’m a, I’m a hockey fan, that’s why. No, it’s not like watching the Leafs at all. I, ah, actually enjoy watching the games, I, uh, I can’t speak for Leaf fans. So about signing upWhat’s that, un huh, un huh, un huh, un huh. RDS, yeah, yeah. TVA, un huh. Sportsnet, right, right. Gamecentre. Yeah. Centre Ice. Gotcha. So let me get this straight, so for guys like me who live west of Belleville – Belleville, BelleVILLE! — I can watch 60 Canadien games on RDS, 60 of them! For 60 bucks? SIXTY BUCKS? That’s, that’s amazing, sign meExcuse me. That includes 54 Senator games? But, but I don’t want to watch Senator games. You’re, you’re saying I HAVE to watch the Senator games or my subscription gets cancelled. You can do that, you can track what I’m watching? Well, yeah, about that, my nephew was visiting for the weekend, I went to bed, he stayed up late. Pardon? No, he doesn’t stay every weekend. Look, can we get back to hockey. So if I pay $60 I get to watch 60 Canadien games but I also have to watch the Senators play. [exhales heavily] Hmmmm. Never mind. Sign me up for the Leafs package. 82 games, $100, right? And when do I get my money? End of the season? Okay, thanks. Bye.

25. Paz says:

Here’s the key point when “dealing” with cable companies.

You call. You get a customer service rep on the line.

You immediately ask to be transferred to the Cancellation Department.

Cancellation has all the authority to negotiate “special” pricing.

This is cable’s “soft underbelly”.

26. Maritime Ronn says:

A follow-up to Front’s message below.

*** Bell from Hell strikes again!

Yesterday, it was confirmed to me verbally by an Expressvu agent that Bell NHL Center Ice was going to be 2 payments of $24.99.
    So I ordered it.

I asked for an email confirmation.
    The confirmation email did not have a price on it.

I should have know better as the person was calling it the MHL….

Bottom line is that the 2X$24.99 is totally BOGUS

Even more interesting was that the “Supervisor” told me THIS YEAR’S rates for NHL Center Ice have yet to be established…but they would take my order and bill me the rate when it came out!

I said thanks – but no thanks, and cancelled the bloody thing.

Beware The Bell From Hell

• Hobie says:

Crazy man. I have Rogers where all of their call center agents are located in Canada, at least every person I’ve spoken to. I hear Bell is a disaster when you call because many of their call centers are not located in Canada.

Rogers is pricey, which pisses me off, but the do have very good customer service and their product is very reliable.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hwy hobie

As mentioned, I should have known better when she kept repeating MHL.

One thing about the Bell folks – they are certainly polite.
        sometimes I wonder if they are paid by the number of times they say thank you-thank you for holding-sorry for the delay-let me check with my supervisor…

• Ozmodiar says:

Yeah, I kinda figured that would happen (saw your post yesterday).

Perhaps if there is a season ticket holder among us, we could outfit him with a Notebook computer and have him do this for us all season.

28. Un Canadien errant says:

I’ll ask again: is there anyone in the Habs region who wants to split the cost of a slingbox with me? You buy, I send you a cheque, we both have access to Canadiens games.

I want to watch as many RDS games as possible, I’m not looking forward to the Bob Cole-Don Cherry-Nick Kypreos show.

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

29. Un Canadien errant says:

Justin Bourne is one of the best writers/bloggers out there. Here is his take on the scrimmage at the PotionMagique™ summer camp in Toronto. Interesting observations on Tyler Séguin, Tomas Kaberle, Mike Cammalleri, and Josh Ho-Sang among others.

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

• Paz says:

John Tavares is fast becoming one of the great leaders in the game. Not just skill, I’m talking leadership.

Ho-Seng will get his chance, and if he wanders off track, Tavares will set him straight.

Like Subban, Ho-Seng has “flare”, and he enjoys the game more when he gets a chance to use it.

I am rooting for Ho-Seng to succeed. Players like him make the game more interesting. I don’t pay to watch Travis Moen play hockey.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I don’t think anyone doubts Josh Ho-Sang’s talent and skill, but what Justin Bourne describes is another strike against him in my book. I’m likely to take the point of view when evaluating players of a teammate having to share the ice or field with him, spending time in the dressing room hearing him wisecrack or bitch and moan, on road trips on the bus or at the restaurant or walking around town and finding him to be a complete tool.

So I wouldn’t want a prima donna like him on my team, and thus I wouldn’t want him on the Canadiens. I do understand your point though, and it’s a good one, as a fan I should cheer this guy on, rather than another WHL grinding plugger who will toe the Coach’s Corner line.

• shiram says:

Good read thanks for sharing.

30. shiram says:

Just read up on PTOs, and it seems they are only for the AHL, so it would seem Drayson Bowman won’t make the big club, unless they decide to offer him a regular contract.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’m a little confused about that as well. I think there is a technicality, that the NHL CBA doesn’t have any official provision for Try Out contracts, but the AHL does, with amateur and professional versions. Any links shiram?

Having said that, players can be invited for a tryout at NHL camps, like Simon Gagné in Boston this year, and Mason Raymond last year in Toronto, and Steve Bégin two summers ago in Calgary. They might be in NHL contract limbo, but there are players who try out.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Here’s my understanding

A PTO or Professional Try Out is a type of AHL contract that is offered to professional hockey players.
        This contract can last a maximum of 25 AHL games (but can be shorter.)
        A player may sign 2 PTO’s in any one AHL season.
        A player may not play any regular season or playoff NHL games while on a PTO, he must be signed to an NHL SPC (standard player contract) in order to play for an NHL team.

Exception:
        Goatender PTO: A professional Goaltender may be signed to a NHL Goaltender PTO and play in the NHL, however this only acceptable in an emergency situation and the goaltender is only eligible to play for one NHL game.
        A Goaltender PTO is subject to approval by the League.

• Maritime Ronn says:

There is also an Amateur Try Out

” An ATO or Amateur Try Out is a type of NHL OR AHL contract that is offered to non-professional hockey players (usually NCAA players.)

In the NHL a player on an ATO may play one (and only ONE) NHL game and the ATO is subject to approval by the League.
        In the AHL a player on an ATO may play any number of games.
        The most common use of an ATO is to allow players that have finished their NCAA season to transition into the AHL without needing a formal contract.
        Another common use is the signing of an Amateur Goaltender in an emergency circumstance to allow an NHL team to dress 2 goaltenders as is required.”

• Un Canadien errant says:

Thanks Ron and shiram, my sense of the situation was pretty close. A player in the NHL needs to be on a Standard Player Contract.

My question becomes, does a player on a tryout at an NHL camp like Steve Bégin or Simon Gagné do so under an AHL PTO? What happens if he gets injured, let’s say he blows out his knee? Does he go on IR at the NHL minimum contract amount, or AHL?

• Maritime Ronn says:

All really good and interesting questions.
            Instead of my assuming, I’m going to contact someone who can forward the exact info.
            May take a day or 2 but I’ll get back to you

• B says:

I thought Bowman just got an invite to camp, not a PTO.

–Go Habs Go!–

31. frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigos! Got my email confirm for Centre Ice and it didn’t make sense,so I called and talked to a supervisor at Bell. It’s not $50 for the season like I was told from the guy in India!. They haven’t set the price yet! I cancelled it. Bast#rds!!

32. Phil C says:

With all the games in English in the Habs region, I can now cancel my subscription to RDS. Bell Fibe was gouging me pretty badly by forcing me to pay for a French package for $15 a month, so my cable is much cheaper now. But I have a feeling I will miss the RDS broadcasts, they were my favorite.

The $60 game centre deal seems pretty good all around for Habs fans in the West. This pretty much meets the demands of the petition folks I would think.

• Timo says:

HEre is something people need to understand about Gamecenter… it is, as far as I can tell, an internet based stream. I have Gamecenter (not activated) as an add on for my Bluray player. If it is indeed an internet stream than there are FREE equally good streams available. NHL on Demand add-on is one of them.

If Rogers is going to make it available as a direct TV broadcast through some TV channel or NHL Center Ice than it’s different. But to date, Gamecenter could only be accessed online. So $60 for something you can get online for free is NOT a good deal.

• Kooch7800 says:

I think the NHL on demand app is archived and not live games….I may be wrong about this

• Timo says:

Hence the “on demand” :)
          Serves my purpose since I can’t watch games live anyway. But yeah, I see what you’re saying. There is also SportDevil add-on although I haven’t tried it. Not sure what games you can catch on it and what the quality is.

But if I were to pay for the online stream I’d pay to hockeysteams where you get practically all hockey in the world. And also because this money won’t go to Rogers and the good guy Scott Moore.

• Kooch7800 says:

lol -I never said I was bright. I tried sports devil last year but wasn’t happy with the stream quality. It was usually quite grainy which is tough when you are used to watching it in HD. With the new version of Gotham XBMC it should be better but only time will tell. I am going to try a couple pre-season games to see how it loos before committing to anything.

• Mavid ® says:

I have used Sports Devil it appears to have most live games I used it to watch a playoff game in NJ. It worked ok from what I can tell, as the internet speed at the campground was poor

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Phil C says:

I had game centre for two months last year. You can watch games live.

• Kooch7800 says:

Hi Phil,

The live vs on demand we are talking about the NHL on Demand app that is on XBMC. NHL Game Center is a different app.

• Vinny Red says:

GameCentre is internet based, which should be available on tablets/phones/computers and some console as well. CentreIce is the TV version. There are going to be some free trials for each coming up for both versions. Obviously you would need rogers cable to get CentreIce for the first week or 2 of the season, but internet and/or wireless customers are going to get GameC0entre until Dec 31 if i remember the dates right

Game Center means watching through computer correct? Perhaps my old lazy carcass is to blame, but would rather just use my TV remote to find the game. Bad enough Windows XP is no longer supported on my computer which I keep in TV room!

• habs-fan-84 says:

Honestly, I’m more confused than ever lol.
      I’m now considering this $60 GCL option (I’ll simply run an HDMI cable from my laptop to TV). However, There are still 42 other games that I’m not sure I’ll have access to or not (I’m west of Belleville).

Also, does anyone know the prices of http://www6.hockeystreams.com/? I can’t seem to find any information on their website.

What a sh** show this whole situation is, I’m going to miss simply turning the channel to RDS every night.

• Habshire says:

In Stu’s article above he says ‘and on tv with NHL Centre Ice’. Stu wouldn’t lie to us would he. :)

Maybe it’s $60 for both together. It never really says each.

• B says:

Phil C, you might want to wait until the preseason games are over before cancelling RDS as I believe they are only available on RDS regionally. This is assuming you would be interested in watching those 7 preseason games.

–Go Habs Go!–

33. jimmy shaker says:

Looks like to me the only way you can get the other 40 games for 60 bucks is if you are with rogers. Bell/shaw/cogeco = NO GO. Centre Ice for 200 bucks still looks like the only answer. I’ll keep my fingers crossed about my conversation with cogeco yesterday and how “Ontario habs fans” won’t be subject to the blackouts on TVA sports or RDS.

Shaker out!

34. Marek says:

OK, I’m sorry for asking this but hopefully someone can clear this up for me. I have Bell. Can I now purchase a $60 package which will allow me to watch all of the habs games? I also have sportsnet. I am west of belleville

• Hobie says:

You should be able to get half the games with what you have now. There were a bunch of posters here yesterday that said they called Bell and purchased Center Ice for only $50 for the other half, plus a ton of other games featuring other teams.

If you felt like going the online route, you could also get the other half in French by purchasing a special Habs package from GameCenter. Not sure if that one is available for Bell customers though?

Bottom line, Call Bell and demand the Center Ice package for $50 to get the other half of the Habs games you don’t get with your current package.

***EDIT -Forget the $50 thing.

On a lighter note, ever wondered where are all those socks went?

I am leaving for a 2 or 3 week trip to the east coast in 15 min. 1st stop Brossard practice rink to make sure things are in order before pushing east.
    By now you should all have received your SUMMIT tickets, and here is the Itinerary for those that are attending some of our events. Everyone is welcome, so come on out to meet each other!
    Just don’t forget your donation gift for the children’s charity raffle each, at the pre-game dinner.

Our 8th annual 2014 HIO Fan Summit is, Nov.29th weekend.

Looks like about 150 of us this year will attend!

ITINERARY & LOCATIONS
    We are staying at the Novotel hotel, discount rates at 866-861-6112 Tell them you are with HIO to get your discount.

We will all meet and greet 2nd floor at Hurley’s pub Friday eve. on Crescent St. Some of us will be having supper there. Big screen for Hab’s at Buffalo game for us on the 2nd floor, and name tags will be given out.

Saturday morning, breakfast is at Chez Cora’s at 8:30am. 1240 Drummond St. You can order a la cart and everyone gets 15% discount off your bill.

After breakfast we walk over to the Bell Center and Hall of Fame Tours.

At 3pm the Montreal Canadiens Children’s Foundation charity raffle at the Baton Rouge restaurant 1050 Mountain St.
    Each person is asked to bring one gift item to donate for the charity raffle, so everyone gets a gift to go home with.

Then our Baton Rouge restaurant pre game dinner. With special guests.

After dinner we walk across the street to see the Hab’s take on Gionta, Gorges and the Buffalo Sabers.

After the game the 2nd floor of Hurley’s pub is reserved for us again, to celebrate the win. Just identify yourself as a HIO member.

Please be generous with your charity raffle gifts and your purchase of raffle tickets. It is a way for the HIO community to give back to less fortunate kids.

Enjoy talking hockey and meeting your wonderful HIO community at this years Summit.
    Ian

More information here. , News, Pictures and comments

37. jimmy shaker says:

I called cogeco yesterday down here in Windsor Ontario and was asking for a deal on centre ice. I said I only needed centre ice and not the other 5 sports that come along with it to see if I could get it cheaper than 32 bucks a month. I said I used to just use RDS for the habs games but now need centre ice since the changes have been made. He mentioned to me that all I need is this “FRANCO” package that includes TVA SPORTS HD and RDS HD plus all the other channels that I already have and that will get me all the games without paying big bucks for centre ice. I tried to explain to him that anyone west of belleville will be blacked out and centre ice is the only remedy for that problem. He assured me as well as his boss as they received a memo back in the middle of august that stated something along the lines of “fans in ontario are assured of no blackouts on TVA sports and RDS”. I was a bit skeptical but went with it. He said check back in October if it’s not working and we will see what we can do. So, I’m hoping it will work but don’t think it will. Also it looks like this new deal for habs fans is only available with rogers tv. I’ll have to call cogeco again to see if they have access to this deal as well.

Shaker out!

• Hobie says:

I doubt that person is correct. I’m sure you’d get a different story if you called back five minutes later.

This is my frustration, Rogers/NHL stand up on soap box proclaiming they have a new deal which is wonderful for the consumers, only slight problem, they have no idea what the new deal is.

Seems silly to me to stand up and brag about a plan which is yet to be formulated.

• Kooch7800 says:

I called Rogers yesterday and the person was quite confused. She by the end of the call said Center Ice should be free until December….not just the the online version. Who knows if it is true but I think everyone with Rogers should wait before they commit to anything cause I don’t think this is done unfolding yet

• Vinny Red says:

That’s backwards. CentreIce is free for only first week or 2. GameCentre (internet access) is free until Dec for internet or wireless customers

• Kooch7800 says:

Vinny,

She was saying both. Whether she was correct or not seems to be a moving target.

38. HabsFan25 says:

OK, so ROGERS, the sponsor of the TORONTO team, has stepped up to the plate by offering the package for all Montreal games.

How about something similar from BELL? You know, the BELL whose name is on the building where the Habs play. The country is divided by more than just fan base but also by media supplier. Some of us can not or do not want Rogers but don’t get a fair shake from the other major player, Bell. What’s up with that? Time to raise the bar, Bell and offer the same deal on Expressvu and Fibe. Or don’t be a hypocrite and put your name on their building.

Larry

• Loop_Garoo says:

There is no hypocrisy involved. Sorry but it bugs me when people mis-use that word. They paid to have their name on the building and what they are paying for is millions of postive brand impressions each year, that is all, it is just advertising.

• HabsFan25 says:

Granted, they pay for the right to have their name there but they are using the draw of the hockey fans to get the exposure. Rogers was proactive, seeing a weak link in the Bell programming that they jumped on. I am suggesting that Bell do the right thing for their customers and give them a similar deal, that’s all.

Larry

• Loop_Garoo says:

I have been waiting for a long time for them to do the right thing, and that is why I ditched all TV services. I’ll pop by the local pub to watch some games, stream a few, etc, but until the tv networks give me the ability to choose my channels (probably never), I won’t subscribe. Would strongly suggest others do the same. The fact is, after the first couple weeks, you wont miss it, and you’ll come up with some great new hobbies.

Bell is also a minority owner in the Habs.

39. Maritime Ronn says:

Big job opening up in the Habs organization

September 9, 2014 – Anthem singer wanted:
    September 9: National anthem singer auditions
    – Open to all
    - Auditions begin at 9:00 a.m.
    - Bell Centre main entrance

The ideal anthem singer:
    - Available on game nights — both weekdays and weekends — from September to June
    – No instruments; the anthem is performed a capella
    - Solo, or in a group of four (4) or less
    —————————-
    Does that mean Charlie Prevost Linton is out?
    Anyhow, love the Bell Centre, but it could never beat the Blackhawks National anthem atmosphere sung by James Cornelison

The craziest without a doubt was again in Chicago at the old Stadium sung by the legendary Wayne Messmer at the 1991 All Star game. (only days after Gulf War I started)

40. JohnBellyful says:

Okay, let me get this straight about watching the Habs this season:
    I have a television, I live in Canada. Am I all set?

41. Dust says:

Wow! I am so Pissed right now!

I can’t believe what I am reading here today!

All summer i have read you guys whinning and complaining about the tv deal and how montreal canadiens fans don’t get treated better than the rest of hockey fans.

So Rogers announces that hab fans can watch all the games on gamecenter for $60!
    Once again the habs fans get treated better than every other fan base. If you are an out of region leaf/oiler/canuck/jets/flames/sens fan you have to pay the full price on game center/center ice to watch all your teams games. Which is at least double than the $60 price tag habs fans need to pay.

People on the site are bitching about this!!!!!!!!!!!
    boo hoo, we have to pay less than everyone else. wah wah. Whatever!

• Cal says:

“Once again the habs fans get treated better than every other fan base.”

You are on a site filled with Hab fans, by the way. Center Ice in English with way more games was being sold yesterday for $50. Where’s the “better” treatment?

• Dust says:

no it wasn’t. That was last years half season price

• Cal says:

george_is_getting_upset
          September 3, 2014 at 10:01 pm

“Hey all. Long time viewer of this board.

I am in the GTA and I just signed up for the $50 center ice package from bell. The rep really didn’t know what he was talking about when I inquired about as he called it “NFL center ice”, but he was willing to sign me up. The website is referring to 2013/2014 late season discount price, so I’m not sure we will actually get this great deal. I asked numerous times about this package being for the upcoming season which he reassured that it was. I guess we will just have to wait now and see what happens.

At least we have French Game Center live in our back pockets if need be. Anyways, can’t wait until the season starts….

Go Habs go!!!”

• Dust says:

I called bell myself. Maybe i had a rep who know what they were talking about. Said it was last seasons end of year sale and it was not the price for this year.
            So there you go.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Clarifying the Center Ice Package from Bell :::

I called Bell last night and again today. Here is what they say. The fee for Center Ice has not been set yet and they don’t have a schedule yet but they ( according to the representative ) feel it will similar to last years package of 4 payments of $49.99 if you purchase it before October 15th I think he said. If you wait until the free preview is over it goes up a few dollars on that payment schedule. There is no magic package offered by Bell for two payments of $25 for the year as some have said. So if I am wrong here it isn’t because I am making anything up..this came from Bell and I asked the representative to check with a supervisor on this. I can’t really understand why people on here are making up BS about cheap Bell package…Bell doesn’t do anything cheap and you ought to know that.

• habturner says:

I totally agree!!! Last years price is still up on the website, & that’s only for the last portion of the season. I was told it will likely be 4 payments of $51.99. No magic package with Bell until they find out from Rogers what they can do.

42. Hobie says:

Now that the dust seems to have settled it seems like Habs fans across the country should be somewhat happy? Some of the non tech savvy folks west of Belleville might have to take a crash course in using an HDMI cable, computer and television setup to see all the games but that ain’t so bad!

One thing that doesn’t seem to have happened though is the ability to ditch cable altogether? I don’t think? Unless you go the illegal stream route or the free, crappy quality, streams?

So you’re still stuck paying a good chunk of change for cable each month and also a $60 for GameCenter in some cases. All in all there isn’t much of a price increase, if any?

I was hoping I could cut ties with cable $70 x 12 months and just buy all the games online for $200 or something like that but it’s not happening. I don’t think?

Anyway. I was initially happy I get all the games in English here in Ottawa but I’ve learned a substantial amount of French watching RDS. So we’ll see, I might rotate between English and French broadcasts, especially if Sportsnet puts someone annoying in there to do the English games.

Have a great day folks!

43. TommyB says:

[sigh], Why do I feel more confused than ever now? Too many channels/regions/languages/packages/etc. to keep track of.

I just want to know how many games, and on what channels, in any language, are available to me on Bell ExpressVu.

I’m not interested in streaming, or watching games on my tablet or phone. I watch hockey on TV. The good thing is that nowadays I don’t have to go into the attic and turn the stick with the tinfoil on it around to catch the game.

Through Bell Expressvu, I have RDS. I have some of the Sportsnet channels (or maybe all), and of course any national broadcast will be available to me on whatever channel those HNIC boobs are on.

Do I need to still pick up the Centre Ice package to ensure I can watch all Habs games? Language isn’t important, and neither is which home team talking heads I have to listen to. I can turn the volume either off or way down if I feel the need to. I understand the game, and my eyes tell me more than any of those commentators could. Also, switching to Rogers Cable is a non-starter. Too much redtape involved in switching from Bell to Rogers with all the PVRs, HD receivers, and such that go along with each deal. I like what I have and really don’t want to go through all that.

I suppose Bell should have some info on their website very soon regarding hockey telecasts, and what channel lineup I will need. I don’t want to spring for Centre Ice, only to find out I could have gotten all the games without Centre Ice. So, for now, confusion still reigns.

• Hobie says:

The most important thing missing from your comment is your location Tommy. That’s what it all boils down to. If You are east of Belleville there is no streaming or hockcey package required. If you are west of Belleville you pay $60 to get the non national games online (GameCenter) or buy the Center Ice package on TV.

There were a lot of Bell customers on here yesterday saying they called Bell and were given the Center Ice package for $50. In the past it’s been $250 or something.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hi Jim

The team that looks in big trouble next year is Boston at this moment.
      After the Krejci signing, they have $14M left, but only have 11 guys under contract – that’s 9 less than the mandatory 20, or 12 guys less than the max 23.
      They will be praying for a huge Cap increase, and will continue the Marc Savard LTIR game ( another $4)

You can see the mess here:

• 24 Cups says:

Luckily, the Habs don’t have to sign any significant players (except no rights/RFAs coming off entry level contracts) during the next three years with the exception of Pleks, who is two years from now. It will be interesting to see what the cap landscape looks like at that time.

24 Cups

• Maritime Ronn says:

GMMB did a nice job in the past few years, but thank God for the timing and ability to have had those 2 Compliance Buyouts.

And if he didn’t make that Eric Cole trade, Cole would still be on the Habs books this year for $4.5M.

44. Habfan10912 says:

Florida has the makings of a great defense. Will they be good enough to save the franchise?

45. Maritime Ronn says:

Good morning

A lot of television talk and it appears that options and packages are finally clearing up.

One option I would pay for is this:
    The Sounds Of The Game Only.

Some years back, there was a technical problem to start one of the games.
    All the audio was fine with the exception of the announcers/analysts voices – they could NOT be heard.

All that was heard were The Sounds Of The Game picked up by the multitude of microphones throughout the arena.
    It was great!
    No babbling, constant, non stop voices – just the sounds of skates, shots, hits, player voices, and the crowd reactions.
    Unfortunately, it only lasted for about 5 minutes.

I tried to reproduce that at home by turning off the center speaker in the surround system and just using the other side speakers, yet it just wasn’t the same.

Canadian announcers/analysts can learn a lot from NFL duos such as Al Michaels/Cris Collinsworth or Joe Buck/Troy Aikman.

Apart from being superbly smart – and no need to utter never-ending, useless McGuiresque clichés, these guys know when to Shut Up and just let the picture tell the story for several moments.
    They also treat their viewers with respect.( hello Glen Healy…)

• Cal says:

G’morning, Ronn.
      For years I’ve wanted that “sounds of the game” option. Then again, I want the regular camera angle changed, too. Fans watching on tv don’t really see the patterns in the game that you would get from a camera beneath the clock that swiveled to follow the play. Add to that a camera behind each goalie that is slightly elevated (we see this these days on power plays) and voila!

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hi cal

I like that option too.
        Choose Your Camera.

It could be a game camera angle or having the ability to focus on 1 player during his shift.
        EX: It would be fun to watch PK away from the play for several seconds, or a guy like Plekanec and how he acts like a General out there using hand signals to position his line mates

In today’s world, so much is interactive with choice so why not Sports or NHL hockey in particular?

• zephyr says:

I remember many games showed like that when there was some sort of strike by some union. anyway, they only had the sound of the game & it was memorably good!
      joe bowen is annoying as blazes. Hughson is ok. I prefer just the game sound by far!

• Habfan10912 says:

Hi Ronn and Cal! There were a few games on NHL Center Ice (US) that had broadcast of the Jumbortron version . No announcers, just the same version shown on the Video screen. I don’t recall if it was just one particular team that did that and I’m not sure if Center Ice did that in Canada.

It was interesting. As I’ve said before, some of the road announcing teams are just pathetic. Yes, more pathetic then the bias CBS or TSN broadcast we complain about so often.

• Habfan17 says:

Hey MR!

Yes, I like the sounds of the game. Another thing I find very annoying is the play by play guys. They barely call the game, they are too busy chatting about useless drivel! I know some folks here really like Bob Cole, but I never did. I grew up with Danny Gallivan and for me Cole doesn’t compare. Not to mention Gallivan called the game and gave both teams equal emotion when it game to scoring chances etc. Cole, especially the last few years, can’t keep up with the play, gets players wrong, and goes of on tangents and gibber jabbers, I think to hide the fact he can\t call games anymore.

Like Don Cherry, his time has come and gone, time to move on and get a fresh voice on the game! Someone who will actually call the game, know when not to talk, as to the great points made here, and NOT talk about other things. They need someone who has a solid hockey IQ, who can speak to what is going on in the game with his analyst during stoppages in play!

Habfan17

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi 17

I just looked up Cole’s age and he turned a hard to believe 81 a few months ago.
        According to Statscan, that’s 2 years older than the life expectancy of a Canadian born male…so yea, I can see why he’s about 4-5 seconds behind the play or can’t remember some of the names.

Once upon a time, he was very good.
        Unfortunately for him, most of his TV broadcasting life from 1973 on, was covering…the Leafs

46. Mavid ® says:

34…and just 20 days till pre season..won’t be long now

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Maritime Ronn says:

When did you become a registered trademark?

• Cal says:

I was loungin’ on my teal chestschofield and, of corson, I needed to get some popovic from the kitchen. I just couldn’t dufresne myself. So, just as I gauvreau to get it, the front belle rings. No dowd about it, it was Dave and Allison. And there I was, naked as a zholtok. I pulled on my jeans and sandawes and threw on a Tee and let them in. I can’t be that rude to guests.

CHeers, Mavid!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Donald Dufresne.

• JohnBellyful says:

NHL record career goals in Stanley Cup finals: Rocket Richard

NHL record power play goals in one season: Tim Kerr, Flyers (1985-86)

referee Brad Meier

-inch thighs belonging to NFL Hall of Fame running back Earl Campbell

Rule __ of the Internet: “If it exists, there is porn of it.”

th on Time Magazine’s ALL-TIME 100 best non-fiction books — The Joy of Sex: 30th Anniversary Edition (I don’t think they mean the 30th anniversary of the last time you enjoyed sex, but I could be wrong)

years at Eaton Centre in Toronto, Mr. Greenjeans, the burger emporium, announces yesterday it’s closing

th Street, there was a miracle on it, remember?

letters in the longest word in English language: supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

th longest river in the world: Ganges-Hooghly-Padma in India, Bangladesh, Nepal and China (and here you’ve been thinking it was the Nelson-Saskatchewan in Canada and the United States; nope, it’s 37th)

th greatest comic book character of all time, according to the website, http://www.empireonline.com/50greatestcomiccharacters/: Dr. Strange

B-52s ordered to attack targets inside Russia by General Jack Ripper, in Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

47. Cal says:

The thing I don’t get is how no one there asked any pertinent questions.
    Tv or not tv, that is the question.

48. Rob says:

I’m generally a fairly even tempered individual. I try not to overreact to things and try to always look at all sides of an issue. Even when news of the Rogers deal broke and how it was going to affect our TV access to the Habs…while I was pissed, I was taking it in stride. But in the last couple of days I’ve become irate! i’ve been trying to pin point the reason for my change in demeanour, and it boils down to this: I’m absolutely sick and tired of how things are being portrayed in terms of how WONDERFUL all these new developments are and how GREAT all this news is for Habs fans. Are we thought to complete imbecile’s???? Because as far as I can tell, no matter how you slice it, Habs fans are getting screwed over and no matter WHAT they are offering, Habs fans, especially those outside the “Habs region”….(ok that’s another point of contention. What the #$%^ is a Habs region. The official Habs site itself constantly goes out of it’s way to show just how global the Habs are. the “Habs region” is every inhabited continent on the globe!!!! anyway…i digress). Where was I?? Right, Habs fans are either getting less coverage or less convenient access to coverage, and having to pay more for it. So ENOUGH already!!! Stop trying to make all these bogus announcements sound like things Habs fans should be thankful for! We will not be thankful for having something stolen from us and then sold back to us at an exorbitant price. We are better than that, and the club that binds us together and who profits from our loyalty should know that. Rant….over

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

• Loop_Garoo says:

It’s ok Rob, it is not personal, nothing was stolen from you, it doesn’t belong to you, it is just a game, and the suits only objective is to make more money. They know that what they are doing will no lessen the popularity of the game overall, will make them more money, and gets more people talking about it. Also, unless you are retired (and even then), if you have time to watch even half the games, you are doing something wrong.

• Cal says:

“Also, unless you are retired (and even then), if you have time to watch even half the games, you are doing something wrong.”

WTF?
        Please explain.

• Rob says:

while I admit my rant is irrational, that sentence also explains why whoever posted that doesn’t get it at all.

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

49. Habitant in Surrey says:

Listening to Bettman’s speech linked-above of today’s TVA/Rogers press conference introducing TVA’s exclusivity of French language broadcast rights, I could only feel like there was this great struggle resisting Bettman twisting-up My mind more than it already is.

Brian Mulroney sitting on a hard chair self-satisfied, licking his lips. Press and media sycophants watching the drivel like Bettman was from an oracle that had just come down from a Grecian mountain top to tell Us he is bequeathing to Montrealers and Quebecers the NHL’s/his passion for ‘hockey’.

I could not imagine something so disconnected from reality.

He goes on about how TVA is bringing more and better exposure of hockey ‘to this province’. TVA will be broadcasting 330 something games in Quebec. Not mentioning but 22 of those broadcasted in French will be Montreal’s own Montreal Canadiens.

I felt like wretching.

Where is Our pride ? How low have We sunk to listen to his crap without a hiss ?

_____________________________________________________
    Please read the Rogers NHL Habs Petition, and if You agree, please sign at; http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-habs-blackout-rds

• D Mex says:

It truly would never have occurred to me that anyone would contemplate listening to Buttman without hissing. I’m pleased to say that I missed his Wednesday installment, and have no intention of watching the video.

Must admit, however, that I am curious as to whether ” our game ” was uttered, yet again, in one of his hollow attempts to persuade those of us who have actually taped a stick and laced up a pair of skates that, beyond dollar signs, he has any concept of what hockey means to its real fans.

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• Marc10 says:

I thought that was Mulroney. What’s he doing there in the first place? Does Mila need more shoes for her closet? Was he paid in cold hard cash for making an appearance?

That high plains grifter has no place in the public arena. He’s scum through and through. Then again, if he’s affiliated with Pierre-Karl, then it totally makes sense.

I hope Yvan and Geoff made a quick trip home to a hot shower to wash off the stench of sitting anywhere near that gigantic douche.

But hey, I hear he’s a lovely guy in person and likes the Habs. What am I saying… He’ll always be Brian F in my books – Ginormous arse wipe incompetent cretin.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

May 13th,2014: ‘Mulroney’s business ties to Peladeau likely to keep him on election sidelines’; http://o.canada.com/news/mulroneys-business-ties-to-peladeau-likely-to-keep-him-on-election-sidelines

Stephen Maher: “Brian Mulroney is upset and disappointed by Pierre Karl Peladeau’s decision to run for the Parti Quebecois but is not likely to speak out against his longtime protege’s candidacy because he is a key part of Peladeau’s management team, say people who have spoken to the former prime minister.

Mulroney is the vice-chairman of Quebecor’s board of directors. Stock exchange filings show that in 2013, he earned $244,520 in compensation for his work for the company, plus an undisclosed sum in legal fees.

Mulroney is a partner at Norton Rose, which according to Quebecor’s 2013 Management Proxy Circular, is “principal legal counsel to the corporation.” Sources say Quebecor is Mulroney’s biggest client at the firm. Mulroney holds stock options in Quebecor worth $1,115,669.

Mulroney did not respond to a request for comment on Thursday.”

May 29, 2014: ‘Brian Mulroney to be named Quebecor chairman’; http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/brian-mulroney-to-be-named-quebecor-chairman-1.2657954

• DipsyDoodler says:

Driving up Park Ave last year I see the couple in the car next to me are having a major argument. Yelling furiously at each other.

Turns out it was Brian and Mila.

—–

¯\(°_o)/¯

50. Habsfan88 says:

According to the FAQ page of the Rogers Gamecentre page, the french package for the 60 habs games is available as a Centre Ice option too. Check out the page at the bottom http://www.rogers.com/web/support/nhl/gamecenter-live/1

• Habitant in Surrey says:

So, if RDS’ feed will be carried on Centre Ice, that will be $ 100 subscription (per Telus quote today in Vancouver), plus $ 60 for the extra French Centre Ice load from RDS ?

• Habsfan88 says:

You can just buy the 60bux french only habs n sens gamecentre package. U don’t need anything else, for 60bux u only get the rds games of those 2 teams.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

Thank You Andrew. I will call Telus in the morning to see if they are yet aware and are offering.

• Habsfan88 says:

No problem. Let me know or everyone else here know what they say cuz i’m also with telus. But i will assume telus will offer it as the french habs/sens package was created to cater to ppl outside Quebec. And the gamecentre faq page i posted earlier said its available for centre ice too

• Subbanarama says:

Habitant, I’m also interested to hear the outcome of this. I am also with Telus in Vancouver and all the discussion on here is for Rogers and Bell subscribers. I was planning to wait for the week before the season starts to figure out my options and choose the best way to go. Don’t think it will compare to the 5$/month french package add-on for RDS.

un boulet de canon

51. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

A press conference with Bettman and Mulroney and nobody got screwed…yeah right. Scott Moore is acting like he’s doing us a favor when last time I checked it was us cable subscribers who pay his salary. This must be one of the few businesses where you can screw your customers with high prices, poor service and terrible product choice and then expect gratitude when you start providing what the customer wants. Unbelievable…

52. 123456 says:

Please join a blessing for a Rochester NY Police Office who has fallen in the line of duty. May the officer rest in pease, bless the family and friends, and the power be given to members of all forces.

Love the patronizing part where we hear Scott Moore himself is a Habs fan, whatever, like this is supposed to now make us respect him and just take whatever crap he feeds us as gospel. Good for you Scott, try telling us the fine print and be honest, then I may respect you. Until then just another Rogers suit shoving BS down the pipeline, you would think by now the HI/o staff might have the gist of what we have been bitching about.

54. Garbo says:

What a useless article that provides absolutely zero helpful information.

This sounds like the GameCenter deal many were discussing earlier in the day (i.e. NOT available on TV as the article suggests only on a computer).

I can’t believe there was effing snow in Banff today… it’s stupid. Rogers stupid.

56. Habitant in Surrey says:

Stu Cowan; “Rogers also announced on Wednesday a new package that will allow Habs fans across the country to watch all 82 regular-season games on TV this season.”

Is Stu’s statement legally binding ? :)

57. Laramy87 says:

So let me get this straight…… I live in Toronto and have center ice package. Do I get all 82 Habs games in English then and with the Rogers broadcast? Especially after yesterdays announcement of the regional broadcast

I cannot stand listening to Bruins, Caps, NYR or any other American based broadcast.

• Habanero78 says:

Are you serious? Compare it to the CBC clowns doing the Habs game. Or even the absolute worst Habs vs. Leafs. I’ll take American feeds first, since I don’t understand French then French, then mute…. The TSN guys were fine…. Stupid CBC

• Habitant in Surrey says:

My understanding of this convoluted dog’s breakfast is 40 games in English will be available nationally via several Sportsnet channels and CBC.

22 games nationally via TVA, but I hear TVA’s French-language broadcasts will as well be available in English on Sportsnet.

60 games via RDS will somehow also be available ‘nationally (which was not the case earlier).

Those 60 RDS produced games is the question of how they will be delivered. Via Centre Ice ? Via a special French-language sports package ? Via Game Centre (Internet only ?)

So 40 games in English. (cable TV)

22 in French (TVA cable)

Another 60 in French (RDS, either Centre Ice, French cable pkg., or internet [Game Centre])

Correct Me where You can.

58. Habitant in Surrey says:

Hell, I just noticed the new thread’s headline, meanwhile I was wasting away in Margaritaville :(

Reading it, it sounded like Moore, Pelley and Bettman delivered all My Christmas wishes demanded in The Petition http://bit.ly/1nLUkSk

Then, reading the fine print… :(

I mean these guys are paid millions of smackeroos to do things right and communicate effectively with the doltish public.

Is it so hard to do things ‘right’, and to straight-talk ? :)

59. habsfan0 says:

September is usually when I renew my RDS subscription here in Toronto with a Rogers package called “varietes.”

I’m not sure what to do now as there doesn’t seem to be any clear indication if these 60 RDS Habs games will be available here in Toronto.

I don’t think article is clear where the 60 french games will be available. Is it on NHL Center Ice? I don’t think so. With NHL Center Ice you get all out of the region games (out of YOUR region, not the Habs region) so that’s more than 60. I think HIO is talking about NHL Gamecenter which is an internet feed available online or thorugh various media boxes and is nothing in comparison to NHL Center Ice both in quantity and quality.

• von says:

Ya, Steve Faguy’s blog update makes it sound not so cut and dry as the Gazette: “Rogers has promised more GameCentre announcements in the coming weeks. There may also be announcements relating to NHL Centre Ice, the TV-based service for watching out-of-market games.” – http://blog.fagstein.com/2014/09/03/rogers-gamecentre-canadiens/

NHL and Rogers should receive a Darwin award for this mess.

_________________________________

“Obviously it would be great, but they don’t really hang conference titles in this rink. They raise Stanley Cup banners.” – Carey Price

• Timo says:

This just doesn’t sound like NHL Center Ice… Can’t anyone at the Gazette ask some direct questions? Sheesh!
        I talked to a buddy who used to have Gamecenter and he said “quality is sh!t… not even close to HD”. Rogers just found another way to milk people for money without having to spend a dime.

The fact they are so vague leaves me continuing to think they are just being pricks. Just effing be clear already, but no they keep flicking hiding behind nuances and generalities.

• Clay says:

Definitely not clear on where to watch, yet totally clear on the cost “The French-language games will now be available for $60 to those outside the regional market.”
      I’ll gladly pay the 60 to watch my Habs, but details are needed as to how to do so.

__________________________
      ☞ “The deepest sin of the human mind is to believe things without evidence” ~ Aldous Huxley ☜

61. sCOTT1243 says:

$60 for NHL Centre Ice, 60 games, and I can catch the remaining 42 habs games on nationally broadcasted stations.

I will now sleep better tonight….damn didn’t think not being able to watch every habs game was this stressful.

So for those of us on Rogers in TO, I guess we owe a thanks to NHL and Rogers…. Sign me up!

62. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

I’m optimistic about today’s announcement that the 60 RDS ‘regional’ Hab games will be made available to those of us west of Belleville. Though I don’t speak much French, it’s a service that rightfully should be made available to Francophones to follow their team in their mother tongue. And at roughly $1 per game, that’s a price that I can live with… though I might still have to pay to upgrade my internet package to handle the extra streaming. I hope that it still looks decent after I hook my computer up to my 50″.

Now the only hurdle for me would be to see if my cable supplier, Cogeco, will pick up this package and make it available to those of us in Hamilton.

Hab fans want choice! Sign the petition to give us back our games!

63. sprague cleghorn says:

Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs 11m

#Habs Jean Béliveau, in frail health, has lived his generous life w/ dignity, class & grace. He & his family deserve privacy. Respect that.

… ‘ow could we forget that?

We can watch from coast to coast!!
    This is working out terrific!