New three-year contract for Carbo

In his state of the team session with media this morning at St. Jovite Arena – outside in the windy cold so he could gauge how seriously we wanted to hear it – GM Bob Gainey revealed that head coach Guy Carbonneau has signed a new contract.

Gainey would not disclose duration of the deal nor its value, but in discussion later, Carbo let it slip that the deal is for three years. You’ll hear that near the end of the English audio clip of the coach in the post below.

Gainey also said forward Max Pacioretty would likely begin his pro career in Hamilton, but said a decision wouldn’t be made before the end of Saturday’s final exhibition game against the Minnesota Wild.

1. twocents says:

Fair enough, if its only dollars your thinking of, but if Tanguay scores 35g(your number) and has 80pts while Kovalev puts up a 21 and 60 mark, who do you keep then? My simple point is, and it applies to the other FA’s too(I use Kovy because he has shown the repeated propensity to take nosedives), we have to see how the year plays out. I am sure Bob is not earmarking which players he will let go, right now.

Having said that, he will have a closer eye on Tanguay, Kovalev and Higgins all for differing reasons and because they are wingers, which the team has plenty. I think Lang will be paid attention to but he would have to match his best seasons, which are now nearly five seasons behind him and at 37 that is very unlikely, before Bob is going to commit the money to him that it would take to keep him. Especially, when Maxwell showed so well in training camp. I think Pleks has exceeded expectations and so as long as he doesn’t take a large step back he has an upper hand on the wingers. Koivu will be assessed too but, he has proven himself to Gainey and has not let him down ever. Even last year’s subpar regular season totals were complimented with an excellent playoff performance.

What it boils down to is that Tanguay does not stand out as the easy drop to me. In fact none do but, Lang will be the easiest in my opinion, by a considerable margin.

2. cautiousoptimist says:

The only reason that I don’t think Tanguay will be back is that he makes $1.5M more than Lang, and keeping him means less money to keep Pleks, Higgins and Komisarek. It may well be that we keep Tanguay instead of Lang, but that would mean less room for Gainey to work with. Under a salary cap, we simply can’t re-sign everyone — unless they’re willing to play for significantly less than they’d make elsewhere. I like Tanguay fine, but even if he pots 35 goals, I’d still rather use his salary to re-sign emerging stars like Higgins, Plekanec and Komisarek than spend another $5.5M on him.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
    2. Josh Gorges on Montreal’s attack: “They’re comin’, they’re comin’ and they keep comin’. Just line after line, wave after wave…”

3. HABZ24 says:

great signing. better than that butthead trembley for 3 years.carbo being a former stanley cup winning player and long time vet knows how to do things.he’s been there,knows what it takes to win and how to get there.hockey seasons here!! played my first miso-jeu ( hockey pickm lottery here in mtl). pacman you’ll be up soon!!

4. habsguy says:

got to agree with you on this one bud. I think Lats could become a valid part of the power play.. He needs to look at old Espo tapes, not saying he’d score 70 goals but I bet he’d bang home a few…BTW the Cherry debate was fun …thanks..:-)

5. sam says:

to me, Gorges seems like a more mature player than Lats. big time. my problem with Lats is he seems to float around on the ice. no drive. that’s just me. i might be wrong. i would love it if he’d make me eat crow this year. but i haven’t seen that much change during those first two years and the pre-season.

Gorges got here and worked his ass off. he hustles for the puck and makes smart passes.

to me, you can’t compare the two. he fought for his spot.
    Lats said he wasn’t even feeling the pressure this pre-season (…..wtf?).

6. SlovakHab says:

cool, I didn’t know there are so many milestones to reach this season.

Well, Stumpel and Rucinsky are not going to reach them very much..
    Stumpel chose Kazakhstan over LA… What else can you say here..?

Perhaps the Breezer will win the Norris Trophy this season, we never know.

7. mrstewart61 says:

Lapierre wears #40.
    ———————————————————————————————————————-
    If a man speaks in a forest where no woman can hear him, is he still wrong?

8. mrstewart61 says:

Right you are, it doesn’t make sense that Lang would be back but not Tanguay.
    ———————————————————————————————————————-
    If a man speaks in a forest where no woman can hear him, is he still wrong?

9. Koivu12 says:

tHE hABS ARE AMAZING FOREVER AND ALWAYS.

“Give Koivu a Lifetime Contract”

10. ProHabs says:

Awesome. We now have the best coach in the NHL to go along with the best team. Has the location of the post game get together after the Summit been revealed yet or is that still in the vault. You guys are as secretive as Bob Gainey, which is not a bad thing.

11. Number31 says:

Good on Carbo! That three-headed monster behind the bench remains intact.
    :D
    ******
    the notwithstanding clause – The general consensus of an ordinary Habs fan in Montreal

12. nightmare_49 says:

Here’s a look at the achievable career milestones NHL players are chasing in the 2008-09 season.

Goals

Rob Niedermayer needs 68 games for 1000
    Sean O’Donnell needs 68 games for 1000
    Ian Laperriere needs 73 games for 1000
    Labels: Martin Brodeur

by Joe Pellitier .. The Greatest Hockey Legions.com

13. twocents says:

I think you are grossly jumping the gun by writing off Tanguay before he has played a single regular season game. This is a 28 year old player that Gainey has pursued for some time. Believe you me, if he has a season that is at all representative of what he has done during most of his career, Gainey will not consider dismissing him lightly. That math will need to be adjusted. If any player sticks out as being around for a short time it’s a 37 year old Lang. Who if he even reaches his average numbers would still be a questionable choice to be holding back a player like Maxwell.

14. twocents says:

I know you didn’t argue with that Riverview, I just hope people don’t start clamouring for him to be called up 20 games in, simply because they figured that’s what should be done, based on seeing him play a couple of games in the preseason. What cutting him last indicates is that management deems him to be the forward that is next in line to be promoted, when an opportunity arises. Let’s just wait for that to be the case and not force things based on our enthusiasm for his play. Now, it’s his job to maintain that standing.

15. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

Of course Koivu (and lats, lang, chip is they are still here)will get a raise.

That’s the whole point of a contract expiring…you get more money.

16. spirit of the Habs says:

I hope we never fire Carbo, if you look back I betcha the laffs wish they never fired Quinn.

Canadas Team, Gods Team You name it The Habs are it

17. Gary320 says:

I think you may be trying to say something (If not.. then I see something >_>)

If it’s what I see.. That being, all those coachs you mentioned were part of times where the Canadiens ran the NHL… Then I really like Carbo signing lol.

18. krob1000 says:

3 years is a long time to develop yourself in the NHL …….tell me your opinion of Gorges then…is he where he should be and where exactly is that? Somehow everyone loves Gorges and while I am definitely a fan of his he is not a top 4 guy yet IMO and his possible placement in that role is perhaps my single biggest fear for our club going into the season. He is all heart and that IMO is why people love him but he gets outmuscled and bumped off the puck a lot and his offense doesn’t exactly compensate for that liability yet. Would I give up on him ?? No not a chance…just tell me the difference between his and Lats’ situation. While we are waiting for Lats skills to match his size we are waitng for both he and OB to fill out yet they somehow escape the scrutiny. Yes Gorges put on some sserious wait and yes LAts improved his skating….again they seem pretty equal so to me anyone insulting LAts is also insulting Gorges.

19. cautiousoptimist says:

Komi’s $5M is in there, and I don’t think we’ll need any new big-league UFA signings, judging from that roster. I think my estimates of raises were generous too — and if they weren’t generous enough, we still have $2.65M to make up for that. And we’ll have even more if Kovy doesn’t make $6M next year, which I don’t expect he will.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat

20. Lacktack Massive says:

Of course there was a time when the head coach of the Habs lasted a long while: Dick Irvin Sr., Toe Blake, and Scotty Bowman come to mind…

21. krob1000 says:

I didn’t check the math on his other calculations but I do see where it says 5 million for Komi.

22. Hockey11 says:

Did you forget Komisareks raise? Sure players go but the money gets sucked up to a degree by raises and new UFA signings and warm bodies.

23. cautiousoptimist says:

It might be tight, but I really think Bob can swing it — mostly because we have several well-paid players who are solid but won’t be missed too terribly:

According to nhlnumbers.com, we have just $1.5M in cap space right now, but I really don’t see Tanguay’s $5.5M contract coming back next year. Neither will Dandy’s $1.8M, Begin’s $1.3M (though I’ll miss him), Kostopoulos’s $900k or Brisebois’s $750k — some of these guys may even be dealt before the deadline, for a young, solid stay-at-home defender who’ll spend a season in Hamilton before hitting the big-time. That’s $11.8M freed up, and we haven’t exactly gutted the team. I’m betting that Bouillon and his $1.8M salary will be replaced by Weber next year too — not because O’Byrne is better than Bouillon, but because he’s cheaper. That gives us at least $13.6M to play with — more if the cap goes up again next year.

As for the remaining free agents, Koivu, Lats, Lang and Chipchura will not get raises. If he has an unbelievable season, Kovy gets at most $1.5M more, for $6M total. Say Higgins, Pleks and Komi go from their current salaries to $3.5M, $4M and $5M respectively, eating up $6.9M more of our breathing room, and leaving us with $5.2M for Weber, Pacioretty and Stewart/D’Ags — none of whom will make more than $850k. That leaves $2.65M in cap room, which is more than we have now, and should cover any salary underestimations I might have made — or we could use it to keep Bouillon and/or Begin and/or Kostopoulos.

Our lines would be:

Kovy-Pleks-AK47
    Higgins-Koivu-Sergei
    Lats-Lang-Pacioretty
    Stewart-Chipchura-Laracque
    Extra: Lapierre

Markov-Komi
    Hamrlik-O’Byrne
    Gorges-Weber

The team still looks solid to me. You may want to double-check my math to make sure this makes sense, but I really think we can field a relatively unchanged lineup next year with next to no suffering and still keep some breathing room.

In Bob we trust!

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat

24. Gary320 says:

Good move. This is coming from a person who isn’t the biggest fan of Carbo. I still don’t like some of his decisions but, that’s normal. In the end, he’s a coach and I am not right?

Anyway, I like this because it creates stability for our teams coaching staff. I for one was tired of seeing coachs get fired after 2/3 years at the job. Vigneult, Therrien, Julien.. that’s like 4 coachs in one decade.. wth.. too much for me.

So this creates stablity and I’m happy with it.. Good move Mr. Gainey.

P.S Guys. I made a video that I just uploaded on Youtube.com check out the link.. yes I know its a bit blurry I got no idea why it is.. it’s pretty annoying though..

25. REB2 says:

I agree, split up Higgins-Koivu. THis is what I’d like to see:

AK46-TP14-AK27
    AT13-SK11-GL84
    CH21-RL20-SK74
    GL17-KC28-ML44/TK06

Begin/Dandy in the pressbox (it’s not the Ryder until somebody screws up!)

26. The Teacher says:

Thank you to VICKY, IAN, ROBERTL, CHUCK, SMART DOG, STEPHEN, AND NM49. Tickets arrived today.

27. RiverviewCanadien says:

nobody is arguing with that…re-read my posts, I want him to start down in hamilton

28. coutNY says:

Amen to that, but there were a few past posters that would have traded gaiiney for Burke as late as mid season last year… and would love to hound you if things get ugly in the future… you know the trolls that seem to come out of the woodwork when things don’t go so smoothy.

29. Bugs says:

Hey! Where’s MY new contract, Bob?!
    I’m ALWAYS yelling at the guys what to do.
    Last year, I was like “Score that goal!” and they would. Or I’d go “Win that game!” and they would. And then I yelled at them to “Finish first!”
    And they did!
    So what does BUGS get, Bob?
    Besides the SHAFT?
    Pfff…
    C’est toujours les mêmes…
    Peace Out.
    ______________________________________________________
    Lord Bugs Potter, esq. Earl of Fluppitburg, Baron of Flopshlupshire and Knight of the Flannel Republic.

30. twocents says:

There’s no risk of Gainey ever being confused with Brian Burke, no matter what decisions he may take.

31. coutNY says:

Careful, don’t condescend too much, Gainey will have some tough decisions 2009-2010 sesason…

32. twocents says:

Ah, Brian Burke, the genius that never was.

33. The Teacher says:

Sorry but for CHRIST’S SAKE.

LATS MADE THE TEAM WHEN WE HAD NOOOOOOOOOO TALENT..THAT IS WHY HE MADE IT…..POINTE FREAKING FINALE. ONCE HE HAS BEEN UP FOR TWO YEARS YOU DO NOT SEND HIM DOWN, EITHER TRADE HIM OR KEEP HIM, sending Lats down to Hamilton would serve NO PURPOSE AT ALL at this point…

sorry but man….enough with the lats stuff it’s so old.

I think I really need the season to start I’m getting cranky from real hockey withdrawal.

34. nightmare_49 says:

Ducks send Bobby Ryan(F) down due to cap issues and lose Joakim Lindstrom(F)to Black Hawks on waivers.

35. coutNY says:

So according to RDS:
    Canadian without service will be Francis Bouillon for ten days.

For its part, Roman Hamrlik, who is recovering from a groin injury, will return Thursday to Saturday to face the Minnesota Wild.

Also among defenders, Andrei Markov case is uncertain for Saturday's meeting. A decision will be taken at the end of the morning.

Meanwhile, Ryan O'Byrne and Jaroslav Halak, have not taken part in training on Friday and will not be in uniform face the Wild.

so that leaves Webber, Hamrlik, Breezer, Dandenault, Gorges, Komisarek, or a questionable Markov as options?
    Possible Henry – Boogaard match-up?

36. cautiousoptimist says:

Your points say it all, Hoegarden. Speaking of politicians, it seems to me the Lats-bashers argue like Sarah Palin — long on words but short on substance.

Lats was built up to be a superstar, and everyone was disappointed when he was just an above average sophomore. He may never be a John Leclair, but there will always be spots on hockey teams for guys who don’t score 50 goals. This season, on a line with Lang and Sergei, he should pot 20 or more — not bad a for a third-liner who makes just $850k and who will once again near the top of the team in hits.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat

37. twocents says:

Your really trying to stir things up today, aren’t you? :)

38. nightmare_49 says:

H – Nice reasoning to Gagnon’s protective article.

39. cautiousoptimist says:

Speaking of which, which one of you guys changed your names from TradeRyder, now that he’s in a Boston sweater?

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat

40. twocents says:

You can predict how many games he’ll need all you want but, there’s no point setting a target beforehand. His play down there will tell how many games he needs. There’s no reason to rush him. He may get to Hamilton, the adrenaline wears off a bit and the aspects of his game that need fine tuning will become more prevalent. I think every single person on this site acknowledges he is very close and has a bright future, in fact if we were short of top 6 types he’d make the team, but that’s not the case. He may simply have to wait until an appropriate spot opens up, through injury or disappointing play. I say let his play and management dictate how many games he plays in Steel town.

41. RiverviewCanadien says:

Didn’t he bang one in off a rebound in front of the net the other night

42. RiverviewCanadien says:

Yeah that is what I said, he needs at least 20 games…but I think his NHL debut will come this year, that is not my call. I think he is good, looks great on skates and can handle the puck, look at what he and Kovy did, nice setup…but what a finish, great hands, well rounded. This kid will be good. You can take that to the bank. But he does need to spend time in Hamilton, I say no more than 30 and I would bring him up.

43. sam says:

Lats said he was thinking he could go in front of the net (like he just realized that one ‘could’ do that). thinking about it and wanting to play “around the net” (his words) is another. i haven’t seen the grit it takes to put yourself in front of the net like we’re talking about. he has to be willing to take the punishment but i just don’t see it in his play up until now. and power-skating lessons aren’t selling me on that. 3 years in the NHL is a long (and expensive) time to develop yourself.

let’s see how he does while Pacioretty hones his skills in Hamilton for 10-20 games.

44. coutNY says:

Just wait until they run through an inevitable “rough patch” and see how fast the turn on them… although it’ll be tough with all the new Quebecios additons to place blame, but there’s still enough Euros, Espesially with Capton Koivu as there target.

45. secretdragonfly says:

We’ll all be there in spirit (sorry, I know that’s not very helpful).

46. krob1000 says:

I think the French press is slowly being neutralized and some have even become fans of the team. People are not responding the attempts at creating controversy anymore and I credit Gainey, Muller, Carbo, Jarvis, etc for that. The Gazette IMO has played a hgue role in helping change the attitudes of many along with sites liek this and others who have tried to remain positive. Montreal is becoming a desirable place to play again and with the retiring of Roys number I thinkt he ghosts too will return.

47. krob1000 says:

I told you nightmare Alexgei Plekoivu is my true idol….and there will only ever be one real Guy in Montreal but Lats is going to be solid guy for years in the NHL. You should change your handle to IHATELATS or FORMAXSAKES as a tribute to the other great bashers ..er..posters of HIO lore lol.

48. Chuck says:

See you there!

__________________________________

49. nightmare_49 says:

k – Your not getting me going today with your idol.

50. Hoegarden says:

Nice one Krob,

A follow up to yours;

Interesting stats this morning from François Gagnon’s article in la Presse for the Latendresse bashers.

A quick translate of the key lines;

-Of the 230 players selected in 2005, only 3 have scored more goals in the NHL.(Crosby,Kopitar and P.Statsny).
    -Only two have played more games than Lats; (Crosby and Vlasic).
    -Only 50 of the 230 players selected have played at least one game in the NHL, four of them picked by the Habs(Price,Lats,D’Agostini and SK74)
    -18 players picked ahead of Lats have yet to play a game in the NHL.
    -His 32 goals and 56 points in 2 years were obtained while bouncing from line to line and rarely getting any icetime on the PP.

Here’s the best (stats only) of 2005;
    Sidney Crosby (Pittsburgh) 213 matchs – 99 buts – 195 passes – 294 points
    Anze Kopitar (Los Angeles) 154 matchs – 52 buts – 86 passes – 138 points
    Paul Stastny (Colorado) 148 matchs – 52 buts – 97 passes – 149 points
    Guillaume Latendresse (Montréal) 153 matchs – 32 buts– 24 passes – 56 points
    Gilbert Brule (Columbus) 146 matchs – 12 buts – 20 passes – 32 points
    Devin Setoguchi (San Jose) 44 matchs – 11 buts – 6 passes – 17 points
    Martin Hanzal (Phoenix) 72 matchs – 8 buts – 27 passes – 35 points
    Matt Lashoff (Boston) 30 matchs – 1 but – 6 passes – 7 points
    Andrew Cogliano (Edmonton) 82 matchs – 18 buts – 27 passes – 45 points
    Marc-Édouard Vlasic (San Jose) 163 matchs – 5 buts – 35 passes – 40 points
    My two cents; Stats are just that, stats. They are for politicians to use for their own agenda. To me, Lats has yet to prove he can park his buns in front of the net, a la Holmstron, and cash in, like he did the other night. He certainly is a nice kid and very mature for his age meaning he has been handling the negative press but sooner or later he’ll crack if they don’t back off. The French Press announced him like the second coming of J.C. (apologies if I offend anyone) and now they are bitching about this and that. C’est la vie in Montréal.

51. nightmare_49 says:

R C – In reality Pacioretty must orient himself to the pro game which is far different from the NCAA game and Hamilton is the best place to adjust to this pace and style without the pressure and should save him from being burnt out by Xmas. This player should be treated like fine wine and the results will taste that much better in January when he can explodes on the market on a line with Sundin. Granted he is far better and more rounded than a certain player in our top nine now but going this road will have him more NHL ready and still fresh.

52. krob1000 says:

I agree that Lats looks better and will continue to grow. The John Leclair talk is a little much to ask down the road …Leclair was a multiple 50 goal guy. I do beleive Lats will develop into a physically imposing, responsible 25-35 goal guy with the possibility but not expectation of anything more. He has great hands and his commitment and dedication to improving will be his only obstacle (his fitness and power skating plan address that). He has the smarts, the size, the skill and all he is lacking is the skating (and it is vastly improved already). He also made a point to observe one Thomas Holmstrom while he was in town and to me that acknowledgement alone was encouraging. Holmstrom is the best in the game in front and is built like Lats. Lats is actually already a better skater than Homstrom too. I have yet to see Lats deflecting pucks but he is willing to go to the net. That should be his next task …..screening and deflecting…just being in front is better than nothing but screening and deflecting with a big body can earn you a lot of goals.

53. twocents says:

Krob, the combinations are endless and many offer some tantalizing prospects. The only one, that I think is plausible, I don’t want to see is Higgins, Koivu, Lats. It’s time to complement Koivu’s play-making abilities with someone like S.kost. or Tanguay. It would also be nice to have a veteran like Tanguay for him to play with. If recent events prove any indication, that will be how things kick off.

54. sidhu says:

HABS I/O FAITHFUL, INCLUDING MR BOONE AND STUBBS: I’M HEADING FROM DC TO MONTREAL TO CHECK OUT THE HABS-WILD GAME TOMORROW NIGHT. IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED IN MEETING UP BEFORE THE GAME OR DURING INTERMISSION, FEEL FREE TO CALL/TEXT ME: TWO-ZERO-TWO, TWO-NINE-SEVEN, ONE-ZERO-FOUR-SIX.

THANKS — AND SORRY FOR THE ALL CAPS! GO HABS GO!

55. secretdragonfly says:

Apologies if this has already been posted – I know what I’ll be doing that weekend.

56. RiverviewCanadien says:

lol…yeah somtimes you don’t get both of those traits in one player, but Lats looks good this year, a little better on the blades and still tough. Only time will tell how everyone does.

I should have said “to play on Montreal’s top two lines”. At least that is where I would put Pacioretty.

57. sam says:

not if you look at Lats :)
    (sorry. had to do it. i still can’t see why he’s still not in Hamilton to develop.)

58. krob1000 says:

I suspect they’ll start with a third line of Sergei/Lats and Lang but we have so many options it is scary. I think that is damn fine third line and there is enough offense on it to not waste Sergei. Option 2 I would assume would involve breaking up the big line and playing Pleks with the Kostitsyn’s. That opens up all sorts of interesting options. I think it’ll start like that though.

59. Moey says:

You should have sent your application Fedex, obviously BG couldn’t wait for it any longer, like the Sundin signing.

60. RiverviewCanadien says:

I think this is great news for the Montreal Canadiens. Carbo here for a while…I hope. Because this team has been awesome to watch the past 3 seasons and it is all becuase of a great GM and a head coach that is becoming his own. Awesome job guys, everyone.

I also think this is good for Pacioretty. He needs about 20 or more games down there to play on a regular basis, increase the ice time and see how he does. The NHL is pretty hardcore and to play for Montreal you have to be fast and powerful, but also keep it up. He will be up this year before Christmas, not sure if he will stay but he will play…

61. krob1000 says:

I think it is more like you had a great camp kiddo …we wanted you to experience as much as you could with the big club….now go develop a little more and make sure you have a backup set of equipment ready in case we need you because you’ll be our first call if a top nine guy goes down.
    Fear not Timo he’ll be here at some point and he’ll probably make a case for himself like Sergei did. I agree he serves no purpose on a grinder/checking line so even if one or two of those guys go down you likely won’t see him. We have depth in those spots but Pacs is porbably our best option laready if an offensive winger goes down.

62. twocents says:

I don’t know, there are several posters in your camp and many of them have well established, good reputations on here. That’s what makes this site great we can discuss things and learn form each other, instead of it simply being a blind love in.(though if you have the right participants that sounds good too, I always figured I missed out on some good stuff by being too young for the sixties… that free love stuff must have been pretty handy on a Saturday night)

63. twocents says:

Hey Timo, It’s kinda of nice for us to have our two opinions posted side by side(oops I just ruined that) and at the exact same time. Kinda of like a one stop shop for those on the fence.:)

Don’t forget, It goes towards the cap.

65. twocents says:

I am glad Bob took care of Carbo’s contract. It would not have been a good idea to enter a season, with such high aspirations, and have that bit of business dangling. If Gainey believes in Carboneau’s capacity to get us a drink from the mug, it’s important he send that message clearly, to the team, fans and the press, now.

Congrats Guy, bring it home, it needs an old time polish by people who know how to treat it.

66. bidds55 says:

good news all around. I think Max Pac has had an exceptional preseason, and he will be a star on this team, maybe even by the end of this season, but starting him off in Hamilton is the right call.

Also, congrats to coach Carbo for getting the much deserved extension.

________________________________

For anyone interested, there is an awesome hockey card show at Centre Pierre Charbonneau in Montreal Oct 24, 25, 26 (the weekend of the HIO summit). I have no affiliation with it, but I’ll be there, as will Carey Price, Andrei & Sergei Kostitsyn and more!

67. HabsColor says:

“Gainey also said Max Pacioretty would begin his pro career in Hamilton.”

But Gainey might have already told Julien Brisebois (Hamilton GM) that Max Pacioretty should be Ready and Available to Montreal at any time. :)

68. Exit716 says:

McGuire’s head will explode now…seeing that MaxPac is heading to Hamilton.

69. Drew42 says:

Ah, but will it be televised?? lol

70. twocents says:

Tidy bit of work by Gainey then, he got ‘two birds stoned’.(Rickyism)

71. nightmare_49 says:

Well two players on the Habs will be overjoyed by Carbo’s new contract. #84 – #71.

72. Habsrule1 says:

and so should all the Habs fans!

“I can’t hear what Jeremy(Roenick) is saying because my Stanley Cup rings are in my ears” – Patrick Roy

Go Habs Go!!

Habsrule

73. Mike Boone says:

And one blogger is overjoyed.
    #71 is an insurance policy for an organization that is very nervous about being caught short of experienced NHL defencemen (see NIINIMAA, Janne). Breeze will play one more season and then join the front office or coaching staff.
    #84 is a 21-year-old kid with size and good hands who has back-to-back 16-goal seasons in The Show.
    But of course if Carbo and Gainey knew what they were doing, they’d cut Latendresse in favour of a 19-year-old kid who played 37 games at Michigan.
    Man, I’m astounded with all the vacancies nobody hired you to coach in the league.

74. sam says:

RIS just said it looks like Chipchura *will* start the season in Montreal!
    wow. is Laps going on the wing (hopefully not as Bégin/Kosto and Laraque are better options for the 4th line).

75. Drew42 says:

Hey everyone,

I know that there are quite a few people on here who are out west.

Another poster (Habfan in Canuckland) brought up the idea of a mini Habs summit here in Vancouver to go see them hammer the Canucks in February.
    How many people would be interested in this idea??

Please let me or “Habfan in Canuckland” know so we can all start trying to organize it!

Contact either Habfan in Canuckland or myself: check contact info.

(Sorry to keep bugging people about this, but I think within the next week or so once we have an idea of the numbers, we can update everyone on what the ideas could be…feel free to send your suggestions)

Great idea! but don’t forget us in the east, we can save 3 hours on a plane ride to the coast.

77. Hoegarden says:

That’s the best thing that could happen to Max. He does not need to press hounding him before/after every game along with all the other distractions in town. Don Lever will polish this diamond to shine for years to come.

78. krob1000 says:

I guess we’ll have to call him “Max Pack” …sorry couldn’t resist. We’ll see him soon enough and I am sure they will probably try him doing different things in Hamilton …….you’re welcome Mr. yappy Bulldogs owner.

79. Chuck says:

I can’t say that I’m disappointed, considering I’ll get to see a lot of Max here in Hamilton!

Oh… and congrats to Carbonneau, too. He’s earned it.

__________________________________

80. Moey says:

That’s exactly right Chuck, we don’t need him right now. The way some posters were going on you’d think we were desperate for a fourth liner. Let him chill in Hamilton, we may see him early next year. Good for Carbo and I’m glad BG has velcro lips, we don’t need any more mountains out of molehills.

81. Chuck says:

He’s probably first in line to get the call if a forward goes down to injury. He’ll get his chance. Until then, let him aclimatize to the organization out of the spotlight in Hamilton. Let’s not forget Pacioretty was playing college hockey six months ago.

I’d hate for him to get called up too early for some, then have anti-Patch posters complain about a weak glove hand. :)

__________________________________

82. Moey says:

LOL….yup, like death and taxes.

83. Chuck says:

That makes me wonder if Gainey and Carbonneau are now headed out to celebrate with a BBQ cheeseburger party.

__________________________________

84. twocents says:

More likely that then the other usual option in Sunnyvale: getting really f@#!in’ drunk and stoned.

85. Drew42 says:

lol thats true Ian, but then you get to waste a whole day when you fly back :P

Well if you are interested, I’ll keep you up to date, but I dont think this one (if it happens) will be anywhere near as elaborate as whats going to be going on in MTL.

Just shoot me an email and I’ll put you in the folder with the others haha.

86. Chorske says:

Not to mention that #84 improved from -20 to -2 in one year

87. Chorske says:

and #71 is a steady 30+ point producer when he stays healthy, who has managed to stabilize his occasionally wild +/- to about even (which isn’t half bad for a dman who likes to join the rush)

88. Robert L says:

Whoa, Mike, what’s up with the swipe at Nightmare?

I too, do not agree with his estimations of 84, but you could have gone a little easier on the sarcasm.

89. cautiousoptimist says:

That’s what a lot of us have been saying, but somehow it just sounds so much better when it’s you dispensing the tongue-lashings.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat

90. twocents says:

Ah… come on Mike, go ahead… call yourself a journalist… or columnist… sports writer…. newspaper man (that’s old school, your probably down with that)… ;-)

91. Mike Boone says:

Robert: Do I tell you how to write?

92. Robert L says:

That’s hardly what I was getting at, and you know it.

93. HabsProf says:

Good news.

I think Chips is ready for the bigs. Certainly, I don’t think he has much left to learn in Hamilton.

As for Max, the CJAD guys said it best: he is playing at his absolute best right now – but that means he probably can’t sustain it. Let him go to Hamilton for some seasoning.