New mindset for Habs moving forward

Canadiens defenceman Mike Komisarek knocks down Devils winger Brian Gionta during their game last week in Newark, N.J.
Ray Stubblebine, Reuters

The Gazette’s Pat Hickey writes that the Canadiens have a new mindset moving forward after the all-star break. The team is 7-2-1 in its last 10 games and has the second-best record in the Eastern Conference with 60 points, only six behind the Ottawa Senators.

The big difference, said Christopher Higgins, is confidence.

"Ottawa is a fantastic team and they’re going to get some points down the stretch, but if we can match them and overtake them, that means we’re playing some great hockey, too.

"There’s still a team ahead of us in the standings and it’s dangerous thinking, thinking that we’ve accomplished something. We haven’t accomplished anything. We still have 30 something games remaining and you don’t accomplish anything with that many games left. None of our markers or goals have been met yet. The ultimate is to win the Cup and that’s our goal."

1. Ian G Cobb says:

Robert, I think he will be ready for this League in about 2or3 years of AHL seasoning. More kids have been ruined, especially goaltenders, by bringing them along to early. Price is going to be a great one, but this is the longest developing position in hockey. Physically scientifically and mentally.

Only way I got the spelling was, Andree Is home. I drive her crazy when I’m on here.

2. coutNY says:

signed yesterday…

3. rogus says:

Selanne signed in Annahiem 🙁

4. HabsProf says:

With the exception of Buffalo, every team that is currently out of the playoffs in the East has played more games than Montreal. For example, we are only 6 points up on the Rangers, but we hold 2 games in hand. Since we have only 15 regulation losses this season, that makes us more like 8 to 9 points ahead of the Rangers. Or it can be viewed as giving us some wiggle room for a cold stretch (whereas the Rangers have none).

Also, only Ottawa is ahead of us. If we are going to fall out of the playoffs, many teams trailing Montreal have to pass us.

I am not saying the playoffs are in the bag, but I am saying that the Habs have a solid grasp on a spot.

5. HabsProf says:

Usually a player having an off year is traded for a player having an off year. Ryder for Nagy? Nagy has higher upside and a higher salary. However, in his four seasons, this is Ryder’s only “problem” season. Nagy may have more upside, but he also has more history as an underachiever (until this season, most would tab Ryder as an overachiever).

Thoughts?

6. rogus says:

I wouldn’t. I could even score playing on a line with big Joe…in this case it’s the set up man not the trigger man.

7. mar-lin says:

I agree…they play Halak for the exact reasons already mentioned above, Because of what he did last year.This kid has the ability to play at this level and i believe was a pleasant surprise to habs brass. I don’t think anything is crystal clear yet in regards to our goalie situation. My line of thinking is more that if Price does get called up that maybe it’s because we’ve traded one of the other 2. We’ve been asking it all year long…what would we give up for a star player who can possibly take us even further into the playoffs. I like all 3 goalies for sure but it’s wait and see time from here to the deadline.

cheers

gohabsgo

8. krob1000 says:

From what I have heard it is only Higgins that sounds like that. Koivu seems to be very cautious. Higgins is a confident guy and needs to be that way to function….but in my opinion he should keep those things to himself as he has now raised expctations in the expectation capital of the world. I believe in this team and I do agree that the East is up for grabs and the Senators minus Heatley and with their goaltending struggles (on ice and off) are somewhat vulnerable (at least during the regular season). Whether or not that is vulnerable to us or another team remains to be seen. I am undecided on how I feel about the spike in bandwagon ticket sales as our young team has probably benefitted from flying under the radar thus far.

Isn’t it great the all-star break is over……whew those were some stressful times….I almost checked myself into a ReHab center to help me through the withdrawal. I made it though with a little help from my friends here at Inside/Out….thanks everyone I couldn’t stand any more Leaf or All-star talk.

9. habjay93 says:

This sounds exactly like what they said last year just before they started losing every game in December and January.

10. Smart Dog says:

They’ll play Halak. If he steels a game or two, and he might, it’s win-win. Win the game, up his trade value. If he plays poorly, they check Price’s pulse and switch them.

________________________________________________________________
    Habs Fans! The FUTURE looks bright:
    Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, A Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendress,
    Price, S Kostitsyn, Komisuarus, O’Byrne

11. mrstewart61 says:

I would do it, but I doubt Wilson will…he may request more.

12. Robert L says:

Price would be recalled when the Canadiens feel he is sharp and ready, and when Huet needs a break. As you say, look for it to happen near the next set of back to back games. The smartness of this move for now, is that both are goalies are playing every game. It’s been a good plan, and Price should be more confident when he returns.

13. Robert L says:

Anyone notice that many of the same people who predicted the Canadiens would finish 13th are now calling them the surprise team so far?

Habs Have Critics Eating Crow

14. Gormdog says:

The higher the bar is set, the shorter the leash becomes according to the fans…

My question is: How soon do we see Price back up?

For now, all is well because we don’t play back to back games for two weeks. If Huet keeps his skull screwed on right, he will probably get all the starts until the back to backs (except for maybe the Toronto game but thats a mention for another thread).

Does this mean that come feb 12th, when we play back to back sets of back to back games, we will be seeing our boy Price back in action?

Habs brass has made it pretty obvious that Halak is not the guy. They made it clear by drafting Price, giving last years final start to Huet, sending Halak to Hamilton this year, and not giving him an NHL start while he sits on the bench for a team whose season he saved down the stretch.

That being said, Carbo won’t have a choice, right? Everyone knows Huet cant play every game here on out, he has absolutely no brodeur/luongo abilities when it comes to in-season longevity.

What do the crystal balls say?

15. mar-lin says:

do it…do it do it…DO IT!

16. likehoy says:

Ryder for Cheechoo anyone?

17. mar-lin says:

well I for one AM going to get excited…why wouldn’t I? This is what it’s all about, chasing a playoff berth and challenging for the division tittle.COMMON GUYS… I put my heart out there, sure it’s a risk but that’s what we do. They play with passion and I support and cheer the same way. If i can’t get excited about this then why am I watching hockey? In the times when they fail for sure I’m devastated but that just makes the success they have that much sweeter. Ask me not to boo them and i’ll say no problem, ask me to support them when things are not going well…no problem. Just please i beg you don’t ask me to not get excited, i love this team! As for the regulars on here i’m sure you must feel somewhat the same way. Take the risk and put your faith and heart on the line that’s what identifies us as the best fans in hockey!Thanks for reading…

cheers

gohabsgo

18. the Maritimer says:

Catching Ottawa may not be so far fetched. Watching TSN last night, apparently Ray Emery is in the doghouse again for being late for practice…..again.

According to Bob McKenzie, Martin Gerber has not been consistent in his play of late and Emery may be shown the door.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

19. Lee Hayes says:

The knowledge and passion, in gross amounts, is what makes Hab fans, Hab fans.
    I feel that with loyalty, comes reward.
    Now I’m not advocating blind cheerleading like the laffs, but I’m with mar-lin on this one. Enjoy the success, ’cause it may be fleeting.
    I can’t see this going south this season…should be a very exciting second half.

Go Habs Go