New HIO talk show makes its debut with ‘Knuckles’ Nilan as guest

Today, The Gazette launches a new feature on hockeyinsideout.com: the Hockey Inside/Out talk show.

The 25-minute videotaped web show focuses on the latest news surrounding the Canadiens. Joining Gazette sports editor Stu Cowan on the first show is columnist/feature writer Dave Stubbs and a man who needs no introduction to Habs fans: Chris (Knuckles) Nilan.

To watch the show, click on the Show tab at the top of the HIO home page or on the right, above the Scoreboard. Or go to hockeyinsideout.com/show.

Among the topics touched on during the show are:

Can this Canadiens team make the playoffs and contend for a Stanley Cup?

Nilan recalls Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin as an on-ice opponent in the NHL and comments, along with Stubbs, on how Bergevin has quickly changed the culture of the Canadiens.

How much of a surprise has Michel Therrien been behind the bench in his Montreal comeback?

Can Brendan Gallagher survive in the NHL combining his feisty style with his small stature?

Who was the toughest small player Nilan played with or against?

Was David Desharnais a flash in the pan?

Would Nilan have liked having P.K. Subban as a teammate?

Is Brandon Prust the Canadiens’ early season MVP?

Nilan also tells a touching story about his 1986 Canadiens Stanley Cup ring, a funny story about how he ended up with No. 30, and he insists that he never received a tap on the shoulder from a coach to go on the ice and drop the gloves during a game. “Knuckles”, who knew his role with the Canadiens, also says what he would have done to any coach who would have dared given him the tap.

We hope you enjoy the show.

Please send your comments to hockeyinsideout.com/show or email sports editor Cowan directly at scowan@montrealgazette.com.

Another new HIO feature: We recently launched another new feature on hockeyinsideout.com. Our live Play-by-Play feature keeps track of all the key stats on the fly during every Canadiens game, including shots, goals, hits, power plays, shots on goal, take-aways, faceoffs won, hits, power plays, giveaways, penalty minutes and saves. Combined with Mike Boone’s popular live game blog and HIO fan comments, we hope it adds to your enjoyment of following the Canadiens. Click on the Play-by-Play tab at the top of the HIO page or in Boone’s live blog on game nights to check it out.

1. Danno says:

HIO should consider Skype interviews to expand the HIO talk show’s reach

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

2. Danno says:

Knuckles Nilan you are amazing and I salute you.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

3. HABZ24 says:

Knuckles roxx,a modern day don cherry .tells it like it is pulls no punches,lol.

GO HABS GO

4. ColeTrain says:

Knuckles should be a regular on the new HIO Show. He Must have a 1000 more stories!

4Ever Proud

5. jrshabs1 says:

leafs on the sched. Wednesday night…are the Habs a tougher, meaner and harder to play against team than they were the last time these 2 teams played? Just looking at the roster..it doesn’t seem so. The leafs will be ready for another 6-0 beatdown of the Habs….is this team a legit contender or pretender?
    Go Habs Go!!

6. The Ghost of JohnBellyfull says:

ummm, guys, this is weird, some of my perfectly legit comments are being marked as spam………..

I’m not banned am I??

• Danno says:

If you have a link in your signature it can happen. You need to contact the HIO IT guy to get them to fix it, if that is indeed the problem. If you were banned the above comment would not be posted.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

7. Bill says:

If somebody would write a book on what the hell happened to Rick Dipietro I would buy it immediately.

8. The Ghost of JohnBellyfull says:

alrrriiight, I’m finally giving in to the constant pestering, Does anyone know how one changes their username here????

Taylor Hall and Jannik Hansen must be beside themselves with these huge suspensions….. Both teams must be reeling trying to recover from this massive penalties.

Hah and TSN says the league sent a message Loud and Clear…. TSN should officially change its name to the NHL Network….oh wait all their staff work on that channel.

• Buzz Lightbeer says:

No doubt. What a joke. 1 game suspension is more of a blessing in a shortened season. Heal some bruises,come back fresh.

Exactly, my issue isn’t even with the specific acts they committed, but 1 and 2 game suspensions mean squat, I can’t imagine a player in this compressed schedule being pissed they have to miss a game and come back feeling better.

• twilighthours says:

Burly, maybe I’m out to lunch, but I saw Hall’s hip hit Clutterbuck. I don’t even think it was a penalty.

My issue is with these suspensions in general and how they mean squat. If it is egregious, start at 3 games, 1 and 2 games are like little fines.

• boing007 says:

Hip checks are being called penalties this year. I thought they were considered a legitimate check.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

10. Marc10 says:

Looks like Cole will move down the lineup to make room for Gally. It will be interesting to see how Cole responds.

What a difference a year makes. With guys like Eller, Chucky and Prust lower down in the order, the coaches can easily call one up if they need to send a message.

11. AllHailTheFlower says:

Not sure if there’s already been any discussion on this amusing (albeit brief) Twitter “war” between Price and a fan, but here…

For all I know this guy`s actually one of Carey`s friends just giving him a hard time, but like I said, it`s briefly amusing.

12. habsfan0 says:

Taylor Hall gets 2 games.

13. Lafleurguy says:

Couldn’t link the CBC news video showing Trois Rivieres police pounding on nineteen year old burglar during arrest.

14. Loonie says:

Don’t know if it was mentioned yet but Matt Read has joined the wounded in Philadelphia, he’s been placed on IR.

For some reason I have visions of Holmgren preparing to rid a couple of teams of their future stars.

The injury to Chris Pronger has had a massively huge domino effect in Philly. At the time he traded Richards/Carter I thought he made a good move, however, with Pronger not being there for the playoffs destroyed that team. They have been struggling since….not unlike how our team reeled for awhile with Markov’s absence. We were very fortunate PK stepped in as he did, but it created a vacuum like effect nonetheless.

15. AceMagnum says:

This show is a great idea. I wish continued success. Need to have Boone as a regular guest though in the future. That man is simply electric!

16. HabFab says:

@the duke – you don’t have to protect your teenage daughter from the boys…. BUT from herself.
    Been there, done that and have a grandson to prove it.

17. Sportfan says:

In my Quebec History class my teacher told us we could do any topic we wanted and I decided to do a paper on the Canadiens and its social impacts by using moments such as the Richard Riot and Rivalries Between teams like the Maroons, Leafs and Nordiques. Anyone else want to share other moments I can touch up on. The easy part about talking about Maurice Richard is talking about the fact he was a working class hero. Also by talking about the rivalries between the teams I mention showed different divides. If you know any books that I can use as sources or articles let me know I’d love to add more sources.

18. habstrinifan says:

You folks are crazy if you think Cole is sitting. NO WAY!

• bleedhabs81 says:

explain

I think your right, and I suspect MT is doing the next best thing to rattle his cage by having him practise on the line he practised on today.

Given he is hardly behind last years stats alone shows you can’t bench him yet.

• bleedhabs81 says:

so MT’s comment about sitting based on performance would then apply to?

Bourque?
        Gionta? – Nope
        Pleks? – Nope
        Galchenyuk? – Nope
        Eller? – I can’t see it based on the effort last week
        Prust?- Nope
        Armstrong?
        White? – He has been good since he came back
        DD? – Not after last night
        Pacs? – Not after ripping that monkey off his back

So, maybe Bourque or Army then.

Has Bourque been that bad (or invisible) lately?

Has Armstrong not done what he is supposed to do?

I really don’t know. The biggest floater is Cole right now. That is all I based that on. He probably won’t be benched, I guess you are right.

19. Loonie mentioned this incident down below, and I wasn’t sure I believed him, so I dug up a source. Apparently, Mike Milbury did indeed call Crosby and Malkin “crack addicts.”

That’s crazy even for Milbury. And he beat up a fan with his own shoe.

20. RD says:

How old is Chris Nilan? He’s younger than Gainey but looks like his grandfather…

21. Ozmodiar says:

The letter sent by O’Reilly’s dad means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

#TempestInATeapot

• Loonie says:

And Allan Walsh going on Twitter tirades doesn’t mean anything either.

(rolls eyes).

He may not be a factor after all, if indeed the son realizes Pops is not helping the cause. However, if son and pops are tight who is to say what this guys says throughout the season.

If he goes to a smaller market in the South perhaps a complete non factor, but if he plays in a place like Toronto or Montreal, the reporters will be beating down Pops door looking for quotes. Heck look at how the media called Reimer’s Mom last year looking for concussion related stories about his past and the Sh*tstorm that created.

Sure it’s easy for us to sit and take pot shots at this guy, but his timing is nothing but brutal. Besides, we never overreact to anything on this site! :)

• Ozmodiar says:

The interview with Reimer’s mom was another tempest in a teapot. It didn’t mean anything when it was all said and done. Injuries aside, he’s still the Leafs starter.

I agree that it was a bonehead move by O’Reilly’s dad, though. Just embarrassing.

22. Habsssssssswin says:

RE: Chris (Knuckles) Nilan.

Hire this man ….. He is intelligent and articulate. A grassroots,gutsy one of a kind individual. I admired him as a player, and I know if Bergevin hires him as a motivational speaker/coach, it’s a move he
    will not regret …

23. Loonie says:

If Ryan O’Reilly’s worth a good roster player and prospect I’ve changed my mind yet again about Plekanec.

Here’s the ask.

Two good roster players
    Two good prospects
    Two first round picks

Logic:

Unlike O’Reilly Plekanec has already proven himself over a long period of time both offensively and defensively and still has five years of hockey left in him. Similar time frame to the contract O’Reilly’s seeking.

Also, Plekanec doesn’t have a meddlesome Father who will become a fly in the ointment.

In addition, Plekanec already has a contract.

So to sum up. Yeah, I’m back on the “trade Pleks” train of thought because if O’Reilly’s worth the Avs asking price than Plekanec is worth the package I mentioned.

Let’s do it Marc!

• shiram says:

That’s a trade for Pleks that would have me on board as well.

• Ozmodiar says:

Pleks for all 6 assets? Is that what you’re saying?

Do you think a GM would offer that up for Pleks?

Just wondering.

• Loonie says:

No I really don’t.

But I don’t think a GM’s going to offer a good roster player and prospect for a young player who displays modest offensive ability at best, good defensive ability, is a free agent and has a father who makes Bonnie Lindros look like a Mensa chairperson.

Ryan O’Reilly is a good roster player without a contract. If any GM is stupid enough to part with one or both of the pieces the Avs are asking for a player without a contract they should be fired before they get the opportunity to make the deal.

Hey maybe that’s what happened with Scott Howson.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Some clarification please: what is a good roster player? That could be interpreted differently amongst people.

On a side note, I don’t think anything major happens until the DD situation is settled this summer. It’s the domino that will start everything.

• Loonie says:

My post was tongue in cheek because I feel the package that I mentioned for Plekanec is unrealistic.

As is the ask for O’Reilly.

And to be honest it doesn’t matter if the player they want is a third or fourth liner.

This isn’t Phil Kessel without a contract, it’s Ryan O’Reilly. A player toiling in anonymity until he made a ridiculous and unwarranted contract demand.

I had literally never seen his name mentioned on this board until this contract impasse. And this is a place where people scour the rosters of opposing teams looking for a missing piece.

He is an average player. I wouldn’t part with any prospect better than Walsh for him and wouldn’t give up a roster player better than Moen for him.

He comes with serious baggage and doesn’t have the ability to offset that.

• piper says:

O’Reilly may come with some baggage but he is a lot better hockey player than you are giving him credit for. But I agree he’s not worth what you say the Avs are asking.

• jmsheehy19 says:

I think O’Reilly ends up in Columbus for Brassard and pick, or in Buffalo for Stafford and a pick.

Colorado should have moved him earlier.

• Lafleurguy says:

O’Reilly’s team missed the playoffs by a longshot in his most productive season.

“May you live in interesting times.”

24. The Dude says:

On the Kevlar protection front …I’m currently designing a one piece Kevlar and Graphite bodysuit that shackles, for my teen aged daughter .An optional piece that come’s with it is a 250 lbs -6’2″ madman”moi” with a baseball bat that’s laden :twisted: with dock spikes :evil:
    side note: Chris Nilan may be working on a Kevlar Speedo.

• Timo says:

I’ll be there in about 10-12 years. Let me know how it works for you. Maybe I’ll hire you.

• habstrinifan says:

Sorry bud.. dont mean to send you back to the drawing board re protection for and of your teenage daughter.

But all the similar efforts, including mine, since Adam spent all of a Sunny Sabbath drying his daughter’s mud covered fig leaf in the Sun have had one design drawback. Teenage daughters!

So tomorrow is a measuring stick game?

26. ABHabsfan says:

So who sits out tomorrow? I think it should be Armstrong. Not because he has been that bad just by elimination. Whitey had a good game last night and MT seems to be using him late in periods and taking d-zone face-offs on the PK. Eller has forced himself into the line-up and good for him.
    Perhaps it really should be Cole or Gionta but that not going to happen. Has any team ever scatched their captain? I can’t think of one. Cole at least throws a few checks and creates some space for his line-mates. I like Gionta, he has simply been in-effective of late.

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

27. TheBoss says:

we’re a better over all team than the Rangers. we’re a better over all team than the islanders.

which Habs team show up tomorrow will decide the outcome.

• Loonie says:

You really think this team is better than the Rangers?

Richards, Gaborik, Nash, Stepan, Hagelin, Callahan.

The best collective group of defensive if not overall defensemen in the league, arguably the best goaltender.

Exciting kids like JT Miller and Chris Kreider.

Excellent role playing forwards like Brian Boyle, Aaron Asham, Taylor Pyatt and Jeff Halpern.

The standings may not show it today but the Rangers have the kind of team that the Habs want to have some day.

• habsfan0 says:

IMHO,tomorrow’s game is a must win before the Habs head off on the road for games at Ottawa & Toronto.

28. Loonie says:

Ryan O’Reilly.

Doesn’t have a contract.
    Has an incoherent and bothersome father.

Good roster player and good prospect
    ****In your dreams Greg Sherman****

He’ll be lucky to get so much as a good prospect at this point.

2, 3 or 4 average prospects from a stacked cupboard sounds about right. And it will have to come from a team with tons of cap space.

SENATORS

• Kooch7800 says:

I was actually thinking that earlier about the Sens. He would be a perfect fit there. It will depend though on who pony’s up the most.

He isn’t a good fit for the habs. MB needs to stand pat this year and evaluate where he wants to go

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Good roster player…no way. Good prospect, yes and depending on how good that prospect is: a draft pick too. O’Reilly is an experienced prospect so getting one back is not out of the question. I like the Senators but I’m leaning towards Columbus. If MB wanted to really change the look of the team, this might be the trade to make. I don’t think he will but who knows?

• Loonie says:

The thing is that if a player is going to become first line material they typically show an elite skill set prior to year three or four.

That hasn’t been shown with O’Reilly. He isn’t worth the ask, not even close.

• ABHabsfan says:

Can’t trade for a guy who is holding out after his entry level deal, and sign him to the big money he wants; not after playing hardball with PK. MB would have zero credibility and it would wreck the “room” as CP, Max and PK all took the bridge contract

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
        Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• Loonie says:

And who wants the male version of Bonnie Lindros?

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I think the contract demands have to be clarified by Reilly if he wants to get dealt this season. Is he really greedy or just wants to get the hell out of CO? Who knows but if he openly states he will sign a bridge contract, interest will increase significantly.

29. Sportfan says:

Tsn Karlsson didn’t write back to Cooke OH NO WE didn’t know that already -_-

30. Buzz Lightbeer says:

Last night was a game i was really hoping to see the veterans step up and not let things fall apart like they did. But oh well,just gonna accept the point and throw that one in the “forget about it” pile.
    What are the lines gonna look like tomorrow if Gallagher is back? who sits?

• bleedhabs81 says:

I got the impression it might be Cole… based only on a quote from MT saying it will be based only on recent performance

• Kooch7800 says:

He should sit IMHO. Vets need to be held accountable as well. Cole was great for us last year and he does create room with his speed. . Man did he ever get turfed last night by one of the Isles D

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Buzz Lightbeer says:

Ya i agree. I’ve never seen a player spend so much of a game getting knocked over. For a big man he sure doesn’t look strong on his skates this year. Slight breeze puts him on his ass. If not to send a message maybe he just needs a rest. Same with Markov. Pk should definitely taking some of those big minutes.

• Kooch7800 says:

I think he may be injured. He just doesn’t look the same. In saying that he did really stink it up through the first 20 games or so last year before getting on fire

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• showey47 says:

Same here,cole practiced today where prust (who was getting a therapy day) would normally be. But then again eller is also on that line,so it could be him to.

• Kooch7800 says:

Eller lately has played decent. Took two penalties yesterday but he doesn’t deserve to sit over some others on the roster currently.

I watched the game last night but after watching the highlights at lunch you realize how ugly that last goal was. It was like watching men’s league.

You can tell it is a short season

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

31. habsfan0 says:

Boone used to do some of his blogging “on the road”,i.e. at a friend’s house in seasons past, where he would be served tea and crumpets.

This hasn’t happened recently.
    I wonder why that is. Could it be he made a mess?

32. commandant says:

I read this on another board, and I think it applies here.

For Habs fans, every game is a test… unless they win… then the next game is the real test.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

Sounds like O’Reilly’s teammates already consider him good as gone. Also, it appears if O’Reilly were to sign a 1yr. contract and play 6 games this season he becomes arbitration eligible.

Have to wonder how much the father’s letter etc… has hindered the tradability of this kid.

• Bripro says:

His father in the picture will discourage several teams from inquiring, IMO.
      He becomes a distraction to the player and, by extension, the team.

Having said that, there is a center fielder playing for the Blue Jays whose father evidently knows more about baseball than Tony Larussa and he was still traded.

• habsfan0 says:

Blue Jays start spring schedule of games tomorrow.
          Do you buy into all this hype and think they’ll be a very good team this year?

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

If they’re healthy, they will contend. Injuries killed them last year..

• Ian Cobb says:

Ya! Just like the Raptors, year after year. The Toronto media mentality, they are an easy con for the money boys, just look at the leafs as well.

• habsfan0 says:

Well, all I know is that with Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle, Josh Johnson, John Buck, and Emilio Bonifacio in the lineup, the Miami Marlins finished dead last in the NL East. But now that they’re wearing Toronto colours, it’s World Series or bust!

Time will tell.

• bleedhabs81 says:

1) It will be on TV if anyone is interested

2) @Ian – Although, they have been guilty in the past, I don’t think the Hype Machine is too far fetched this year.

The core players from last year, combined with a revamped pitching staff, + all-star shortstop, and way more bench depth. I consider playoffs as a must or the season is a failure.

THere is so much potential at every position. A lot of people are calling out Lind as the weak link, but dude hit 309 after hanging out with Chad Mattola in AAA last year. Considering Chad is the hitting coach this year, I don’t think Lind will be the weakest link on this team. The guy, when everything is right between his ears, can mash the ball all over the field. At his best when he is crushing the ball opposite field.

As for Rasmus and Arencibia, all they have to be is consistent. THe rest of the order will help them out a lot.

The one thing I hope Gibbons does differently this time is to utilize the speed he has. Last time he managed to get a lot of wins out of mediocre team by sitting back and playing for big hits. I hope this time around he uses the weapons he has to keep the opposing defense on it’s toes, and not just sit and wait for the big hit again.

• bleedhabs81 says:

@habsfan0

While you are correct about where the Marlins finished, you can’t really look at it so simply.

1) Johnson missed most of 2011. As a result, came back and took time to get back into it and develop curve ball to help overcome losing some velocity – finished very strong with a team that was already half dismantled

2) Miami didn’t have Dickey, Bautista, Encarnacion, Morrow, or Lawrie in their lineup

3) Bonaficado got hurt early and only saw limited action throughout the season. Still managed to steal 30 bases in 60 games or something like that.

4) Buck isn’t on the jays

5) Burhle put up decent number despite having the team half dis-mantled by the all-star break

6) Reyes, although he didn’t put up crazy numbers, still put up very good numbers, which were far better than Escobar (and better than Escobar’s best season to date). He was not the problem in Miami

• Kooch7800 says:

I have a strong feeling about the Jays this year. Their speed on the basses and being aggressive to generate runs was great at the start of last year. When the injuries hit they took out everyone.

If their pitching holds up I think they will be in good shape. If Edwin and Joey Bats in the same line up there should be lots of power.

I wonder if Lind will ever regain form. He has shown in the past he could be a great player but in the last few seasons has been a dud

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• bleedhabs81 says:

Hey Kooch

I see Lind being similar to Encarnacion from a few years back. Went down to AAA, got things figured out and came back on fire.

Edwin did that two years ago and it carried over last year. I see Lind doing the same thing.

Lind’s biggest problem is his back, which should limit his time at 1st (Edwin is a great 1st basemen anyway… dude has great hands, he just can’t throw), and his head. Keep his back healthy and keep his head clear and I think Lind could easily sit high 200, low 300′s

• Kooch7800 says:

I hope you are right 81. I have not been this excited about a Jays season in a very long time.

It will be nice to be able to watch a team in late august that still has a shot at the playoffs! We haven’t hat that in a long time in baseball in Canada

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• bleedhabs81 says:

I hope I am right too.

They shipped out a lot of young talent to assemble this team. If it fails, we might be looking at a long time to recover.

• bleedhabs81 says:

Lastly, look at the teams in the East.

Orioles – finished with a ridiculous record in one run games. I can’t see them sustaining that trend. Their starting staff was as bad as the Jays last year and they did nothing to improve it, really.

TB – Lost Shields. It will payoff eventually, but this makes them weaker this year. They will still be tough, but when you lose your #2P without an immediate replacement… that hurts.

NYY – An aging Youk in for an Aging A-rod…. Jeter still hasn’t ran on his ankle. Hughes with back problems already. Everyone is one year older and they didn’t add much in the offseason.

BOS – Finished worse than the Jays, had less building blocks in place. I can’t see them finishing in the top 3 with the work they did this offseason.

basically, with exception of the Orioles, the other teams in the East are the weakest they have been for years. Looks like a perfect storm to me.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I think not having the stats to back up the hype and Colorado’s asking price are bigger issues than his nosy father.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I would assume not. The father is mentally ill – I don’t mean that as a joke.

34. Propwash says:

Rick Nash won’t be playing tomorrow. Some good news.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

35. adamkennelly says:

so Karlsson is saying Cooke knew exactly what he was doing…and I agree. Not trying to cut him on purpose but purposely putting his foot/skate where it ended up if that makes sense….much in the same way that Chara – the lying, POS – knew exactly what he was doing when he tried to end Pax’s season…these guys are professional hockey players – they have control over what their limbs are doing.

36. BrownHabFan says:

As much as I hate the Habs being described as smurfs and how much I still respect Gionta as a player and a captain, watching him this season so far, either he’s just getting older or what…but he’s pretty useless when it comes to fighting for the pucks in the corners…if somebody can throw a cross ice pass to him near the crease he may bury it…but this guy is no game changer and doesn’t have that explosive power like other players on our team do, personally gahallager is going to take Gionta’s job in no time….maybe it’s time we moved him gave Georges the C and cleared off another 4-5 mill from the cap? Also I know Cole is a slow starter….but seriously this guy looks like he’s got Gomez syndrome…tries to do the same thing everytime he gets into the O zone and fails 99% of the time

“I couldn’t really hear the words that Jeremy was saying because I got my 2 stanley cup rings plug in my ear”
    Patrick Roy

I am not so sure you actually respect Gionta as a player and a captain given your description of his play. We are allowed to voice our opinions here, but I find it intriguing when someone says things like they respect a player, and then say the guy is useless.

He plays a strong game at both ends of the ice, and is a streaky scorer. BUt is extremely responsible at both ends. I think our problem is that we have 3 players of his size on our current active roster. That number should be 1 or maximum 2.

• Kooch7800 says:

Well Said. I like Gionta he is a good skater who plays smart in both ends. Gallagher will be his replacement. I don’t see Gio getting re-upped after this contract. Gallagher and DD on the team is the max guys 5 foot 8 and under. I am worried Gallagher may have concussion issues due to the style he plays

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Bripro says:

His re-direction of Bourque’s pass went over the net, agains the Rangers.
      Three inches lower, and you’d be congratulating him on great play.
      But there’s more involved than just producing points.
      And, as Burly pointed out, he has amazing work ethic, and I don’t view him at all as you do.
      I guess we all see things differently.
      Besides, I don’t see why you should be complaining when they’re atop the standings.

• theox_8 says:

I would give Cole a few more games before running him out of town, that line is really starting to click again looking good like last year.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I don’t see how Gionta will ever be moved. I know people disagree with me but I just can’t see it happening. Let’s look at the three circumstances where Gionta could be moved:
      1) Gionta plays poorly: In this case, Habs would want to move him but who would want to gamble on taking his 5 million contract? Maybe if Habs took money back…
      2) Gionta plays well: Habs would not move him given he is the captain.
      3) Next year’s trade deadline: If the Habs are out of the hunt, this is the most likely possibility. Chances of the Habs not being a playofff team next year are unlikely. Even so, Gionta has a no trade clause. He is a family man that has already won the cup so there’s no guarantee he’d waive it.

When Gainey gave out those deals three years ago, everybody said years 4 and 5 would be tough. We just have to be patient and wait these deals out.

• 24 Cups says:

Hamrlik, Spacek, Gionta, Caammaleri, Prust and Cole all received one year tooo many. It’s the cost of doing business in the UFA market.

Best Montreal value for a UFA. How about Hal Gill?

37. TheBoss says:

When you let a team off the hook you usually end up paying for it and that’s what happened last night. Not that they played so bad. let down a little bit at times and it cost them.

Maybe we’ll bounce back against the Rangers tomorrow. It should be a good one. Two evenly matched teams. No room for errors.

Stu, finally found some time to watch and listen, nice job. What a great little forum you created. I look forward to future presentations.

39. bwoar says:

This is a weird season. Every other other game is a stick of some kind, and each week is “a very important week ahead”.

Is there something about game 82 (or in this case 48) that makes it more imperative to win than games 1-81 (or 1-47)? I’m not getting the ebb and flow of the fan urgency here, apparently.

“thoroughbred”

40. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Karlson considering use of Kevlar socks on his return …though hoping a company out there that would design a more comfortable option than now exists

41. CalgaryHab says:

Seeing someone writhing in pain on the ice is never a good thing especially when the hit was questionable. The fact it was Clutterbuck makes it a little easier to digest – you know he would done it had their positions been reversed. Love to see Lucic or Chara on the ice like that someday.

42. frontenac1 says:

@Burly. Love that tune amigo. Those guys are good. 1-0 Manitoba in the 2nd end.Hurry Hard!

43. commandant says:

I guess you all saw, Ryan O’Reilly’s dad and his letter to the Denver Post. (which Ryan apologized for yesterday).

Here is the dad’s twitter

The guy is nuts.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

44. derfab says:

Is there anyone out there who has the time to do a general comparison (leave OVI out please) between players who played in europe and those who had more time off? I have a hunch that many of the “surprises” (positive and negative) may have something to do with the guys who played being ahead of the pack. Some top guns may only be starting to get comfy.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I think Cole’s slow start is because He slacked-off awaiting the end of the lock-out

I wish I could easily find the article, but Mr. Stubbs did point out awhile ago that Erik Cole resumed his off season training too soon following the end of the last season. As a result he suffered an injury (I suspect a significant muscle strain or tear) and was forced to delay his offseason workout routine. Add in the lockout (insert hat making joke here) and he was behind the eight ball. (oh jeez now I feel like Milbury)

Anyways, I think he showed better effort last night, and I am confident we will see an effective Cole within a few games.

• CalgaryHab says:

Playing together in the AHL hasn’t helped the oilers big three – even with the success they had.

• Strummer says:

Guys who played during the lockout seem to have more jump.

By line- played Y/N

Plek-Y Gio- N Borque- N

DD- Y Max- N Cole- N

Chucky-Y Gally-Y Prust- N

Eller- Y

Armstrong, White, Moen all no

Marky, Kab, Emilin, Diaz, Weber – all Y

Cube, PK- No

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• chemic says:

max played about 5-6 games down there in ambri….one goal on his first shot but not much more after!

which i say was a pretty funny mistake in this brilliant 24CH episode when they showed the logo of the rival lugano.

45. frontenac1 says:

Why are you guys making fun of how Stubbs wears his pants? There is nothing wrong with doing a little “high ridding” It”s fun. Trust me on this one amigos.

46. Habitoban says:

A thought on Cole: If he’s a slow starter because he usually plays himself into shape, then the big layoff may mean that we’ll have wait longer than usual for last year’s Cole to show up. The same may go for Moen, although he did seem to have a bit more jump and energy last night.

47. bwoar says:

I see Gally was at practice, does anyone know if he’s been cleared for contact?

“thoroughbred”

48. Loonie says:

Lots of talk about the Dipietro waiver situation.

I’m not very familiar with their roster, does anyone know if they could be doing this to make room for Tim Thomas?

49. Habitant in Surrey says:

…My favourite line was when Nilan said ‘this town is nutz’ :)

…so true

50. Sportfan says:

I enjoyed the show and agree with Nilan way to much overreaction and DD is playing fine right now

• Loonie says:

He’s playing fine NOW I agree. He was the best player the team had last night and has been good for about three games in a row. Before that, even when he was scoring he was not playing well at all in any phase of the game(imo).

Hopefully he keeps it up.

51. Hobie Hansen says:

Noticed people talking about the Islanders and referencing Mike Milbury below. What pisses me off the most about Milbury, besides him being totally incompetent and destroying the Islanders for decades, is that he gets away with talking complete nonsense , insulting people and being a complete jerk.

When is someone on one of the other networks going to call this guy out and call him a complete jackass for the entire hockey world to hear?

Or when is a general manager in the league going to stand up in front of the cameras and call this guy a piece of you know what.

Nobody has even attempted to knock him off his high horse.

He had Pat Hickey on NESN a few years ago, after the Pacioretty incident, and basically bullied him around a treated him with zero respect.

I want someone in the media or an NHL club to call this idiot out and expose him for what he is…a piece of shit!

Sorry for swearing HIO, I usually don’t!

Didn’t he beat up a referee in a pewee hockey game or something, Called Crosby a crackhead, shoots his mouth off about Montreal being a bunch of French babies….

The list goes on and on….

**Edit** I did go back and watch Hickey on NESN and Milbury wasn’t too bad there…

52. Habfan17 says:

Love the new show and it was great seeing number 30! I wish Bergevin would have Nuckles speak with Bourque, White, Moen, heck the whole team about what it was like to be a Hab and how he played the game and evolved into such an important player for the Habs. Hats off to Nuckles he could do it all and showed up for every game.

Habfan17

53. chanchilla says:

The show was great, good way to kill half hour! I quite enjoy listening to knuckles, but i agree with the others having some of the commentariat come in would be GREAT theres quite a bit of us who eat sleep and breathe habs!

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Chris (HIO’s ‘Chris’), Ian, Gerald (HIB) and Robert Lefevre if He’s still around

…Edit: …how can I forget Timo & Dude ? :)

Unless its being done in a bar, not sure how I could be present. :) Thanks for the kind thought Christopher!

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I was thinking earlier a small group around a table in a bar would make a perfect set for this Ger

…of course, when the other tables were empty :)

…and, You would be the laconic common-sense Guy at the table, wearing the Habs propeller-Beanie :)

…but seriously, I think You would be a good spokesperson for the ‘average Fan’

54. Sportfan says:

Wow what an interesting concept when I get time I really hope I can watch all of it!

55. Cal says:

This show is such an improvement over the sound only puck casts.
    Despite some nerves, Stu did a credible job of playing host. (Allow the responder to finish what they’re saying and no touching.)
    Knuckles would be great as a now and again participant and Dave is excellent at this kind of thing.
    Looking forward to more! Good start, Stu.
    -EDIT- PS- get a table for the panelists like they have on TSN. Always looks better.

56. La Duke 16 says:

Can we pair up a couple of guys that can keep up with Chuckie?? Last night he was ahead of the play all night with no one else even around him.

57. Habitant in Surrey says:

…great addition Stu & Dave …You covered a lot of the most interesting questions and issues, and Chris the perfect person to answer some of them

…Dave Stubbs, first time I’ve seen You on-screen …You remind Me of Scott Oake …You are as impressive orally as You are with the written word …have You considered branching into broadcasting ?

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PK !!!

58. habs-fan-84 says:

From TSN:

The Islanders famously selected DiPietro first overall at the 2000 NHL Entry Draft, despite having drafted Roberto Luongo with the fourth overall pick just three years prior in 1997. The team would deal Luongo to the Florida Panthers along with Olli Jokinen in exchange for Oleg Kvasha and Mark Parrish on the same day.

Ouch lol.

59. Propwash says:

Wow, Islanders place Rick DiPietro on waivers.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

60. ont fan says:

O’Reilly apologizes for his fathers letter.

61. Repost from last thread (I can barely keep up.) :)

I’m no statistician, but I like goal differential as a rough estimate of how a team’s playing, rather than position in the standings.

Last year ours was -14 and we finished dead last, but Florida was a -24 and they won their division and finished 3rd in the East. Washington’s -8 was good for 7th place. The 10th through 14th place teams were -46, -21, -30, -33 and -52 respectively — way worse than us. To me, that says we were a bad team, but not as bad as the standings implied.

This year we’re sitting in 1st with a very respectable +10. Three other teams in the East have the same +/- or better, including TB way down in 9th. To me this (very roughly) says the Habs are pretty good team, and likely a playoff-quality team, but by no means a dominant one.

• Loonie says:

The issue last season, as it has been this season is the third period.

This team is just dreadful in the third on most nights and it’s cost them dearly both last season and even with this great start could cost them again this season.

The big problem is that even if they pull out an overtime win they’ve forfeited a point to a conference rival after blowing a lead.

Big problem.

• Cal says:

Shorter shifts in the 1st and 2nd period should solve this foible.

• Yep — I don’t understand it. Last year we could chalk it up to a super conservative coach telling the players to hang back and defend their lead. But Therrien’s a little more adaptive — and yet last night the Habs spent the whole third period in their own end. It’s easy to call out individual players (Diaz was brutal on the winning goal last night), but it’s a team thing, and it’s distressing.

62. habsfan0 says:

When will Mike Boone be on this show?
    And will he bring his doggie with him?

63. BJ says:

I enjoyed the new HIO production. Interesting questions and intelligent and entertaining responses. Chris Nilan looks as if he could still handle the business. I was around for a lot of the practices in 80′s when Nilan was with the Habs and as tough as he was, I watched him with some kids and with physically and mentally challenged individuals and he always exuded a kindness and care for these people. I very much admired that in him. Tough as nails but with his heart in the right place. Nice to see him again and wishing him all the best.

64. habaholic68NJ says:

To my surprise MT version 2.0 has been very successful to date. But I am particularly disturbed by how he uses his defensemen.

In my opinion, his first pairing with major minutes should be PK and Gorges. Next pairing should be Markov with Emelin followed by Diaz and Frankie-the bull and these 4 should be balanced in minutes.

As for PK, why is he not on the PK? He is the strongest and best Dman we have protecting traffic around the net. He should also be played on the first wave of any 4on3 PP and in overtime when the ice opens up.

This approach would have probably netted the Habs an additional 2 points or more than what they currently have. Why doesn’t MT see this?

*Listen to my instrumental tribute entitled “Habs at War” at http://petertoliasmusic.site11.com/Music_Site/OtherOriginalMusic.html

65. twilighthours says:

I love Stubbs, you love Stubbs, we all love Stubbs. Stubbs is a beauty.

But Stubbs’ pants are too high.

66. frontenac1 says:

Way to go Knuckles! All the best amigo!

67. Loonie says:

Chris Nilan spent his professional hockey career fighting both as an agitator, motivator and guardian.

He ran into trouble a few years ago and re-dedicated himself. He now is championing the fight against bullying not just in Montreal, not just in Quebec, nor Canada, but North America.

If you have a problem with Chris Nilan at this stage in HIS life, you’re the one with the problem. You have to be a pretty damn messed up individual to have a personal problem with somebody fighting so hard to right so many wrongs in child development.

In addition. I’m struggling with the idea that somebody would come here as a new member only to whine and complain about(sorry Stu, Dave & Brenda) the funniest contributor to the site in Mike Boone with no rhyme or reason.

I guess HIO is less expensive than therapy.

68. durocher says:

Habs practice lines today:

Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
    Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
    Eller-Galchenyuk-Cole
    Moen-White-Armstrong
    Prust therapy day

69. Habfan10912 says:

I think they should have a guest HIO poster segment. First up, Johnbellyfull. :)

70. Propwash says:

This….this is like the puckcast…only way better, has science gone too far? :O

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

The new look Hab’s are rubbing off on the Gazette as well!!

Super having these two new features on HIO fellas! Thanks

72. spokesbrain says:

Gotta love Nilan. Great stuff!!

• FunkyCrabChairNF says:

Why? These are insights I expect from the Buffalo media. And they deliver.

I’m speaking specifically about Nilan. Stubbs, start your own blog, I’ll migrate.

• Loonie says:

Go away troll.

You crap on Subban, Boone and now you’re crapping on Nilan.

I don’t think you’re racist as you’ve tried oh so hard to refute, I think you’re just a miserable jerk.

Buffalo can keep you.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Good job Loonie. Glad you are sticking up for Nilan!

Not everyone takes the same path in life and Nilian is a great guy who’s trying to make a difference and make amends.

Haven’t had time to watch this yet, but look forward to it. Thanks Stu!

• shiram says:

Picking goalies in the first round can be so tricky.
      Glad Price is doing as good as he is.
      Even Fleury could be a questionnable pick…

• 24 Cups says:

I just quickly checked the past 20 years of NHL drafts. I looked strictly at top ten picks. Only two were really worth it – Price and Luongo (how ironic is that to the discussion?) It’s tough to make a case for Fleury seeing that Eric Staal went 2nd.

Some were real duds. Jamie Storr, Brian Finley, Pascal Leclaire and Al Montoya being prime examples.

The greatest two goalies since Terry Sawchuk went 20th (Brodeur) and 51st (Roy) in the draft. The best goalies in the league today went 205th ( Lundqvist) and 258th (Rinne),

74. Hobie Hansen says:

I tell a bald friend of mine he looks like Messier to boost his ego every once in a while.

75. HabFanSince72 says:

More John Malkovich.

76. Stu Cowan says:

The only relation I have to Mark Messier is that we share the same barber.

77. Hobie Hansen says:

You’ve never used a hockey stick to try and turn someone into a beaver like Messier did to Ulf Samuelsson I guess?

78. Cal says:

He is a recovering addict with a lot of miles on him.

79. Loonie says:

They faced a bit of adversity in the second of a back to back set on the road against a better team trailing by a goal late in the second period.

They tied it late in the second, took the lead in the third and held on with a late penalty kill.

Also faced adversity in the Canes game heading into the third period tied at zero. Three third period goals.

80. Danno says:

You may be right or you may be wrong. Only time will tell.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

81. JUST ME says:

I do agree that this is a huge week ahead. Even though i would prefer wins i think that i find it more important to judge them on how they win or how they lose.

Pittsburgh and Boston are huge challenges and so is Toronto for an unknown reason…

I find that the schedule is way to tight , too many back to backs. Would have been better with a 40 game schedule in my book.

I am optimistic and will go with a conservative 3 out of 5. Am very happy so far …

82. HabFanSince72 says:

Adversity?

Price out with the flu against the Canes and Flyers back to back?

83. Habitant in Surrey says:

…We’re ALL certified James :)

84. twilighthours says:

Dunno. I post links sometimes and they get modded. Go figure.

Then there was the detail of MaxPac needing an appendix removed.

86. Habitant in Surrey says:

…sad :(

87. BJ says:

Thanks for the informative research. Hope we can add to the W column. But I get you point.

88. habsfan0 says:

116 games vs the Sabres.
    94 games vs the Leafs?

89. Strummer says:

If he’s going back 20 years the Leafs were in the old Norris Division and would have played the Habs (Adams) fewer times

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

90. habsfan0 says:

Thanks. That makes sense,then.

91. stevieray says:

Never seen so much ..screaming .. Hurry Hurry ..Hard Hard !
    to dramatic for this old dog !

92. Mark C says:

Because if he stands up then players will shoot low. It’s all about playing the percentages, by dropping down early goalies can cover more of the net, additionally most shots are low, further increasing the percentages.

93. ffenliv says:

I’ve never understood this criticism. It’s the style he plays. You want to convert him to a stand-up goalie? Good luck.

Butterfly is all about playing the odds and using reflex to make up for times when the shot goes elsewhere.

What you’re asking him to do is stop every shot he ever sees.

94. chemic says:

LOL indeed, forget toe blake, lets retire scottie`s 91 and soak it up….

95. frontenac1 says: