New Hab Parenteau can’t wait for training camp to start

New Canadiens right-winger P.A. Parenteau can’t wait for training camp to start next month and to play his first game in bleu-blanc-rouge.

“We’re almost a month away from training camp now … it’s exciting,” Parenteau said during a live YouTube Q&A session with fans set up by the Canadiens on Thursday afternoon (see video below).

Parenteau, who played in a pro-am event at the Canadian Open golf tournament last month at Royal Montreal (photo above) was acquired from the Colorado Avalanche in exchange for Daniel Brière on June 30, with the Canadiens also receiving a 2015 fifth-round draft pick in the deal.

In 55 games last season with the Avalanche, the 6-foot, 193-pound Parenteau posted 14-19-33 totals with 30 penalty minutes and was plus-3. The 31-year-old Hull native missed 27 games with right knee injury.

Parenteau was asked by a fan Thursday what he’s looking forward to most about being a Canadien.

“It’s definitely playing in front of my friends and family,” he said. “I could never dream of something like that. I think it’s going to be awesome. I’m very excited and I think the people that surround me here in Montreal are excited as well.”

When asked what he’ll bring to the Canadiens, Parenteau said: “I think I bring a lot of experience … I bring a lot of offence, too. These are two things I think I can help the team with. I want to be really successful offensively, I want to play good in my own end, too. I want to be really good overall. I’m working hard this summer to make sure I’m in great shape and all my injuries from last year are behind me. It’s going to be a fun season … I’m excited.

“I’m excited to share the ice with P.K. Subban, Carey Price … these guys are really, really good players around the league, they’re well known,” Parenteau added. “It’s going to be fun. It’s going to be a good year. There’s a lot of guys on the team I’m excited to play hockey with, there’s no doubt about that.”

Parenteau was also asked what Canadiens player he hated most to play against.

“I wouldn’t say hated … obviously, I never liked to play against Carey Price because he’s one of the best,” Parenteau said. “I think I have one or two goals in my career against him, but he’s a really good goalie and definitely not the guy you’re excited to face, there’s no doubt about that.”

Parenteau has had an impressive career for a player who was selected in the ninth round (264th overall) by the Anaheim Ducks at the 2001 NHL entry draft. In 291 career regular-season games, he had 73-132-205 totals. He has two years remaining on a four-year, $16-million contract and, according to capgeek.com, has $15.8 million in career earnings.

(Photo by Graham Hughes/The Canadian Press)

Eller raring to go, Canadiens.com

Briere takes his ‘unique’ hockey stick to Colorado, Stu on Sports blog

A new song for Subban: If I Had $72 million, by The Gazette’s Stu Cowan

Price’s wife writes about their wedding day, Stu on Sports blog

1. DipsyDoodler says:

Which Canadian teams are going to make the playoffs in 2015?

It could be another bad year for Canada. I think the Habs will make it as long as Price stays healthy.

The Leafs biggest off-season move was appointing Colin Campbell’s lackey and a 28 year old kid to the front office. They won’t be any better.

The Sens? Please.

How about out West? I see Vancouver and Edmonton improving, but it’s a tough conference. Maybe the Ducks will slip a out of the playoffs?

So, count on Stephen Harper tweeting his support for the Habs again next spring.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• HabFab says:

Heil Harper

• Luke says:

Sadly, I think the Leafs will be better next season.

While their moves may not seem impactful, just 3rd and 4th line shuffling (Frattin, Komarov, Beech, Winnik) what this does take spots away from Orr and McLaren.

Sadly, the Leafs may have hockey players playing for 8 to 10 minutes a game instead of goons being out skated for 4 or 5 minutes a game.

• Chris says:

The Leafs had a miserable season last year. The Leafs’ first line wasn’t a problem, but they sure had some stiffs on their third and fourth lines. Bringing in Santorelli, Winnik, Kontiola, Komarov, and Booth changes their culture…those guys can actually be thrown on the ice in all situations and won’t take mind-numbing penalties.

I think they improved a lot more than people are willing to give them credit for. They got faster, more disciplined, and their young defencemen (Rielly and Gardiner) got another year of experience under their belt.

If Bernier stays healthy, I could easily see the Leafs challenging for a playoff spot. If Lupul and Clarkson bounce back, the Leafs could be dangerous. Their weakness remains their lack of a truly elite offensive centre, but they’ve got some talent.

2. franco says:

In the real world, this is how things usually work.

You do not get a blank cheque, you are working with a budget.

You work that budget into a contract that is rejected.

No problem, you go to arbitration, knowing you have two days to come back if you have to.

Bergevin and asssistants. holds meetings with Molson.

He then authorizes which way to proceed.

In this case he said, we will up the budget numbers and back load the contract so it it higher later on, while the revenue numbers have a chance to catch up.

Bergevin, then went back and issued a new contract proposal. Subban was relieved to have it over and his agent agreed.

I do not believe Todd had any mysterious party giving him information, he is merely speculating and dealing in fiction as is his right. He is a sports writer after all.

Bergevin was not given a blank cheque, he tried to get it done. It is to his advantage to sign P.K. to a long contract rather then deal with this in another year.

Both sides bluff a little, but know they still had a window to either cave, or up the ante. Who is to say given a few more hours the Subban side, would not have come back with an acceptance.

Only a few people actually know the truth.

3. DipsyDoodler says:

The notion that Molson intervened to get PK signed for marketing or business reasons is false.

Signing PK makes sense strictly from a hockey standpoint.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• franco says:

It makes sense (maybe, time will tell) from a hockey, business, and marketing standpoint.

Hockey, because it makes your team better, if he plays up to the money all indications are he will.

Marketing, because he is a marketers dream, he is articulate, could also make people of colour hockey fans and thus buyers of Molson’s beer and all things habs.

If the marketing works, then the franchise could realize the billion dollar valuation.

There is a lot riding on Subban, but I have seen the fans turn on a player before.

• Chris says:

Signing PK Subban always makes sense strictly from a hockey standpoint, but Bergevin and the Montreal Canadiens have certainly established a track record of being a little hawkish when it comes to signing big contracts.

I have a hard time believing that Subban would not have signed an 8 x $9 million contract 2 months ago if that were on the table the whole time. I am more inclined to believe that it was a late offer on the table, which suggests that something in fact did change on the management side. Whether that was all Bergevin or (more likely) some decision by Bergevin in conjuction with the owners, I can’t claim to know.

• Adidess says:

Chris,
        I just posted something similar, which shows up on the next page. It’s as if you and I have been discussing this, or maybe we share a brain (hehe). It’s more likely that we just happen to agree.

4. CHicoHab says:

Jack Toad knows Jack squat.

5. thebonscott says:

anyone know when habs individual game tickets will go on sale and if they will allow me to purchase 4 at a time??

6. Arnou Ruelle says:

Article I: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Jack+Todd+tale+three+owners+Montreal/10106630/story.html

Article II: http://www.rds.ca/hockey/canadiens/une-d%C3%A9cision-du-propri%C3%A9taire-1.1331114

I think that the events that took place during PK Subban’s contract negotiation will be a subject of mystery and speculation, now that reports are coming that it was Molson’s decision to give #76 the contract he’s been asking and not MB.

To sum it all up, Molson listen to his ‘gut feeling’ and not with the repercussions of this deal. MB is concerned about the cap space and the feasibility of adding players in the lineup at a modest price. However, the argument over what happened here is this: Marc Bergevin is the GM of the Montreal Canadiens and NOT the hockey team owner, plain and simple.

• John Q Public says:

I’m pretty sure they gauged public opinion the night of the hearing. The team was in a no win situation, not to mention that the entire hockey media establishment was focused on it. They had to pony up.

• bwoar says:

Exactly. PK’s PR blitz leading up to that night was no accident either. Newport wins again, flawless victory.

• DipsyDoodler says:

I’m not sure it has anything to do with public opinion.

As a pure hockey decision, going to arbitration was a major mistake.

You want to sign your best player at the market rate.

—–
        Moving. Forward.

• franco says:

The team always had a plan ‘b’.

Fans will pay for the contract anyways, so what’s to worry?

Where are the fans going, they fill the barn one way or the other, they pay for it on cable, they buy the merchandise, drink the beer along with the kool aide.

7. db says:

Habs fans unite!

I may not be Ian Cobb but I’m gonna give this a shot anyway. It’s time to spread the summits Canada wide!

I’m in Vancouver and I’ve decided that it should be easy enough to get a group of at least 20 Habs fans together on October 30th, when Montreal visits Vancouver. It’s the halloween game so it should definitely be a good time.

I’ve reached out to the Canucks and they have yet to finalize ticket prices, I’m guessing about 100$-$110 each

…so who’s in for a Mini Summit in Vancouver??

I honestly haven’t been logging in here regularly for quite some time (roughly when the smart phone app came into play), so I can’t guarantee quick response time here.

That’s the even page on facebook, not even sure if I’ve done that right. It should be invite only, so if you’re on fb and want to join the group feel free to send me an request.

Rules are simple: Habs fans only. No Canucks jerseys allowed. Costumes encouraged!

I don’t need money yet… I don’t even know if the Canucks have room for us. I’m trying to gauge how many tickets to ask for. I’m also trying to figure out how Ian does this!! I’m impressed!

For now, just fire off an email to me and let me know how many tickets you want and how likely you are to attend.

Let’s make this a rowdy one! That arena is too calm during hockey games!

Dave
    habsfansunite@gmail.com

8. HabFab says:

Women! Strange but my golf game improved also when I got rid of my wife;

9. One of my favourite movies is “The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance”

Back to Work Troops!

Shane Oliver
    @sholi2000
    A Little fun during the Intermission
    Brandon Predators End Season Video

10. ClutchNGrab says:

Is Jack Todd considered a reliable source now?

11. DipsyDoodler says:

Genius or really bad idea? Bacon in a squeeze bottle:

—–
    Moving. Forward.

12. habs_1978 says:

Perhaps this is what us Canadians need to do

13. Chris says:

While he annoyed me in his Habs stint, I actually kind of like Mikhail Grabovski these days. And he just pulled one of the better ice-bucket challenge moves, challenging Dave Nonis and Randy Carlyle at the end of Nikolai Kulemin’s challenge. So far, all the players have challenged their on-ice friends. Grabovski goes one step better by challenging two guys that he detests.

14. shiram says:

Jack Todd says Molson over ruled Bergevin on the Subban contract.

I think that’s quite possible

• DipsyDoodler says:

If this is true, then it confirms what I said last week (and got royally flamed for) that maybe Bergevin and Therrien don’t walk on water.

Recall the game against the Flyers where with 2 seconds left in the 2nd period, one of the Flyers 4th line goons face washes PK behind the net, PK shoves back, and gets an unwarranted 2 min penalty. Therrien benches him for the rest of the game, including a powerplay late when we had a chance to come back into the game.

Therrien benched his Norris trophy winning defenceman, and hurt his team’s chances, over a borderline call.

Bergevin almost allowed Subban to sign a 2 yr contract that might have taken him to free agency, a move that would have been somewhere between the Chelios trade and the Roy trade in the annals of Canadiens blunders.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• shiram says:

afaik, arbitration would have only been for a year deal, though that would have meant doing the same dance next year, at possibly higher cap hit

• Maritime Ronn says:

A lot of things in this post are not facts

Therrien did NOT bench Subban for the rest of the game against Philly on January 8th.
        PK missed 9 minutes (2 to11) of the 3rd period which equates to 3-4 shifts.

The benching did NOT include a power play
        Lecavalier received a minor at 13:08 of the 3rd period and Subban was on the ice for almost the whole PP.

The official NHL ToI for that game.

Subban played 22:24 in that game which was only 2 minutes 12 seconds less than his season average of 24:36.

There was no 2 year Arbitration deal on the table.
        If it ever got to that, it was 1 year.

Jack Todd? He played no part in the negotiation and one would have to believe his supposed high level source didn’t either.
        Maybe it was the cousin of Geoff Molson’s barber….

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Ronn….your post is the most factual and honest portrayal of this site ever perhaps. I like to come on here but boy the people who make these foolish stories up. Imagine having the knowledge of how MB and MT inter-relate to GM…or that GM actually forced MB to sign PK for that ridiculous contract ( strictly my opinion of course and it does measure up to what he is worth according to other signings…but man 9 M a year is a pile of money) of $72 M over it’s length. They know as management what they can and will do. I highly doubt anyone that posts on here actually is able to pry this from management…..

• Paz says:

Subban was benched for almost the entire second period because he punched a Flyer in the face at the end of the scrum, and of course!, the ref decided to call a penalty.

That was a ridiculous and embarrassing decision by the coach. In bantam hockey the team’s best skater would never be benched for that, but Therrien had to teach Subban a lesson.

I’m so happy Subban got his contract.

Now Therrien will have to find a new scapegoat.

I’m guessing it will be Beaulieu.

• DipsyDoodler says:

“A lot of things in this post are not facts”

Is that a public service announcement? Like “the movie you are about to watch contains scenes of nudity and violence.”?

—–
          Moving. Forward.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Call it what you wish, but if you’re going to trash the Habs GM and Head Coach, at least get 1 fact correct

• DipsyDoodler says:

Doesn’t the boxscore actually confirm that PK was benched up until the 11:28 mark of the 3rd (the 6 second shift he had was when he left the penalty box)?

—–
            Moving. Forward.

• Paz says:

Ronn, when you say PK missed 9 minutes of the second period and I say he missed almost half (10 minutes) we are agreeing are we not?

• Paz says:

I believe Molson stepped in and I think it’s great that he did.

• Maritime Ronn says:

You can bet that Mr. Molson was there from start to finish and aware of everything.
          This was huge money but over and above that, it could have had repercussions on sister related businesses.

No hockey executive is perfect and that includes GMMB who does not appear to have any business background.

What most likely transpired was that Mr. Molson explained some ‘outside of hockey’ business facts and asked GMMB to seriously consider everything before making a final decision – and that whatever outcomes – be they positive or negative, would fall on his shoulders.

They took out their spreadsheets – both hockey and business related, and decided to get it done.

• Paz says:

Subban is the best thing to happen to the Habs in the last 20 years.

• Maritime Ronn says:

We’ll see and that’s the $72M question that brings enormous pressures with it vs. being underpaid and lower expectations.

• frontenac1 says:

Saltpeter.

• Cal says:

Any owner worth his salt is involved in the negotiations of large contracts for term. Saying he over-ruled Bergevin is a stretch. He wasn’t in the room and neither were we. Todd is assuming something, and we all know what happens when we assume, right?

• shiram says:

Well when the parties came out of arbitration, things sure looked grim in regards to a long term deal.
        Subban’s agent even going so far as to say a long term deal was unlikely.

Something happened to make that deal work, and I can see it being Molson’s influence.

• Cal says:

My point is that we will never know, so painting owner Molson as a hero in this or Meehan as the villain in this instance is not a good idea.
          I am just glad the deal got done and PK is locked up for 8 seasons.

• shiram says:

I got nothing against Meehan, nor do I think Molson is an hero.
            But a one year deal would have been a blunder.

Like you I’m glad he’s locked on the longest term possible.

• Loop_Garoo says:

That is all negotiating, again, normal, expected, and really could not be otherwise.

• veryhabby says:

Over ruled is an incorrect word.

Molson is the owner, he gets first and last say in any contract as he is the one who signs it and pays for it.

If the owner wants a certain player, his GM will do all he can to get him. If the owner said, I’m ok with paying him $9M even tho it’s a risk….then the GM does it cause it’s the owners team.

almost everyone agrees that at this time it seems like the cap is about $1M too high for PK. If MB felt PK was worth $7-8.9M (lol) but PK said $9M was the minimum to get the deal done. And MB shares this with Molson, and Molson says ok go sign him….how is this over ruling him.

MB’s job is also to make sure his owner isn’t paying bad contracts. But at end of day if the owner opts to pay one that the GM feels is too high….so be it. It’s not the Gm’s money and it’s his job to do as the owner asks

15. Maritime Ronn says:

Funny stuff going on with the NHL Ice Bucket Challenge
    Here’s Nathan Beaulieu responding to a Tokarski challenge

Today driving to work, I saw a car with an Argo Car Flag, yesterday I saw one with a Tiger Cat car flag. I won’t pretend that the CFL is ever going to be as popular as it was in the 70′s (especially here in Ontario), but depending where in the province you are there are still CFL fans out there.

It is still a great product to watch, with exciting rules compared to the NFL. I am a huge Steeler fan, but I still enjoy CFL. Funny though, I am not as much a fan of CFL on TV as I used to be, perhaps because it just doesn’t get the Magic Million dollar touch like the NFL does. But going to Ivor Wynne to watch Bombers play Cats, or going to an Argo vs. TiCats game is still a very enjoyable atmosphere and relatively inexpensive.

Problem is today we are in a sports generation where everything needs to be marketed as the best in the world, and the CFL just can’t do that with the NFL playing in our back yards and in our living rooms.

• Cal says:

CFL has the best game. I’d love to see the NFL with CFL rules. It would be a blast, especially with all that movement before the snap of the ball. The best part would be the :25 between plays, not the snail-like :45 or so in the NFL.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Would like to see the NFL game on a CFL field. There’s no more room left for those guys…not sure about the 1 point when a field goal is missed and the ball goes out of bounds.
        Agree, the motion would be much better

• shandrew says:

Talent wise, comparing the NFL to the CFL is like comparing the NHL to the East Coast Oldtimer’s Association. Further, if guys like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning were playing on a CFL field with those giant end zones they would be completely unstoppable. Having said that, I find the CFL quite entertaining and I enjoy it for what it is.

• JF says:

Agree that the CFL game is much better and more exciting than the NFL product. It’s unfortunate that the East and West are so ludicrously unbalanced this season that it’s scarcely worth watching any game between an Eastern and a Western team. I’m an Alouettes fan, but I absolutely can’t watch them this year.

When my husband and I were in Vancouver a few weeks ago, we took a bunch of friends and family to watch the Als-Lions game and for dinner afterwards. The game part of the evening was a disaster. The Alouettes were embarrassingly bad. (The rest of the evening was fun.) There are too many lopsided games this season.

• Hobie says:

I lived in Calgary for a couple years and people go crazy for the CFL there. I saw shirts, bumper stickers and the whole deal. Bars are packed all around town for every game.

When I first moved to Calgary I was quite surprised. Especially after living in the GTA where nobody really cares and living in Montreal for years when there was no team.

Until the Argos get an owner who gives a crap about having their product enjoyable and playing those games in a decent stadium (Varsity would have been perfect) they are never going to recapture the marketplace at any level.

I have been to Argos games for free and have paid for tickets, I will never go to that stadium again for football. I had tickets offered to me for the Grey Cup, but still refused. It is absolutely the worst building I have ever seen football played in.

On the other hand, Ivor Wynn in Hamilton was great, I’m hopeful the rennovated version will be just as good. Especially the little tailgating park they had on the backside of the stadium.

CHeers Hobie!

• Hobie says:

Yup, the Rogers Center is just terrible. It is decent for baseball if the roof is open but beyond bad if the roof is closed. I will never buy tickets for the Jays in advance in case the roof is closed on game day.

I took my dad and GF to a Jays game last year. We arrived and it was 30c but overcast outside. So the roof was closed. It was so stuffy and humid inside I was on the verge of getting a migraine. Good back and forth game but everyone was so uncomfortable it ruined the entire experience.

I took the GF back the next day and the roof was open. Totally different experience. 10X better if the roof is open.

• veryhabby says:

Hobie….and I will only go watch games when the roof is closed (for football). And I have been to Jays games when its hot outside, and you burn in your seat due to the sun. there is a reason why tropical temperature cities with Baseball teams have dome or play after 8pm only. It was so unbearrable at that jays game that I walked the hallways most of the game cause you just couldn’t sit in the seats. My friends there yesterday (19 inning game) said they left cause they couldn’t handle the heat/sun at their seats.

So dome isn’t all bad. Problem with Rogers center is that it’s an old, cement, boring stadium. It’s roof is one of the best things about it.

• Hobie says:

Yankee Stadium and Fenway park are open air. It even gets a few degrees hotter in those stadiums and they’re sold out every game.

I guess it all boils down to personal preference. I think if you polled 1000 people, 950 would say they wish the roof from the Rogers Center could be permanently removed.

I would rather sit in heat, cold or rain than be under the closed roof full of stuffy air and falling a sleep.

If it’s 30c or warmer, bring sunscreen, hats, shades and drink lots of water. It’s beautiful!

• veryhabby says:

HabinB…I went to Ivor Wynn once…hated it. Won’t go back. It was freezing and all I could think was why the heck did I get tixs for an outdoor stadium.

I prefere the dome, and probably won’t go see any games when the Argos move outdoors. Well at least non in the 2nd half of the season when weather gets cold

Appreciate and respect your opinion, even though different than mine. Perhaps because I grew up in Winnipeg watching games in snowmobile suits I don’t mind the outdoor games in Hamilton, they feel like a piece of cake still for me.

I still love the CFL game, but in todays world of marketing and big bucks it is on a different level from the NFL. I just take the CFL for what it is, a different league but still entertaining.

Burli

Some of the CFL love may have to do with the Canadian content.
      It’s always fun to watch a local guy get there.

As for the CFL, it’s football’s version of the ECHL.
      NFL-NCAA-CFL.

• frontenac1 says:

Hola Burly. I love the CFL and the NFL. Two completely different games. Hey,did you see those pictures posted in the Gazette today of Doug Harvey, MacNeil,Rocket and Lach on a fishing trip back in the ’50″s?

• BJ says:

I’m going to try and get a page going on my website to share old negatives and fun photos from my archives of the Habs from the 50′s to the 90′s. I’ve got a few gems. My only problem is that I have to rely on a webmaster to insert new photos. I’ll ask him if he can create a page that I can insert photos into thats idiot proof. I’m still sorting out old stuff that I never got around to file. I think readers on the page will enjoy them.

• habsfan0 says:

Bills vs Steelers this weekend.
      What could possibly be more entertaining than that?

17. Maritime Ronn says:

Extremely difficult to find any Carey Price news.
    Perhaps one day, some Subban will rub off on Price…and some Price will rub off on Subban.

Date: July 23rd-2014

“I’m doing OK now. I won’t be skating again until the middle to August so that will be the true test.
    Right now it feels pretty good.”

According to Carey, it was a question of inches as to a terrible Markov/Emelin knee injury….or no injury at all.

Price’s injury did not require surgery.

“Luckily I didn’t need it,” Price said. “I was lucky and unlucky at the same time. If my leg was two inches shorter at the post I wouldn’t have been hurt at all.
    If it were two inches the other way, I probably would have had to have reconstructive knee surgery.”

18. Mr_MacDougall says:

I’m very uninformed of the roles and importance of assistant coaches, having said that, could anybody explain the potential setbacks (if any) the Habs will have from losing a couple. Were their replacements named and will we be better in that department?

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• HabFab says:

Dan Lacroix and Rob Ramage are the replacements.

• on2ndthought says:

My understanding is that assistants are often very important:
      Job 1: tactics. usually will have a different skillset than the coach (kind of the OC, DC, Special teams breakdown in football)
      Job 2: run practices. head coach may be present, but assistants often plan and run drills, etc
      Job 3: (most) be a ‘players’ coach. more cheerleading than discipline

(there is also the ‘eye in the sky’ coach (Jodoin). usually strategic, deals with coaches more than players, so this position is less desirable for most on the coaching scale.

We just lost Gallant, who, obviously, was perceived as a top notch coach and got a head coach position.
      We hired Dan Lacroix to replace him, a career assistant who moves from the NYR ‘eye in the sky’ position and is a reputed ‘tough’ coach who may not insulate the players from MT as much as GG was perceived to have done.

This is all conjecture from reports I’ve seen.

“a cannonading drive”

• Chris says:

As mentioned previously, the survey was a bit of a joke. There is zero chance that the Saskatchewan Roughriders are the 3rd strongest brand in Canada among professional sport franchises.

It simply isn’t believable, because the CFL is much less relevant than other sports in Canada. Maybe 30-40 years ago, when the CFL enjoyed a bigger profile with no significant NFL presence in the country.

But with pretty much every NFL game available in Canada now, you would be hard-pressed to find many people in their 20′s or 30′s that follow the CFL regularly.

• bwoar says:

I don’t find that holds true on the Prairies, but to your point about general visibility of the CFL, you’re right.

Lots of young fans though. I’m sure it’s not just the Bombers and the Dirty Riders.

• Living in the West and I see first hand how important the riders are too the Province of Saskatchewan, next to the Habs there is no CFL team’s fans more loyal than them. I’m willing to bet that per capital there are more fans of the riders than Montreal. When you drive though that province it’s like every single person is a rider fan. Then you hang out with them and they are even worse than Leaf fans. So having them at number three behind whomever is most likely true.

Riders Suck, see you at the Banjo Bowl!

Shane Oliver
        @sholi2000
        A Little fun during the Intermission
        Brandon Predators End Season Video

• Mavid ® says:

Oh I think the roughriders are pretty popular. I went to the Pat Roy’s retirement game a few years ago, it was the same weekend as the grey cup. They were not even playing yet Montreal was full of fans all dressed up with the melons on their heads. I recently went to a Redblack game against them..the stand was full of fans again all in their green gear with melons on their heads..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• habsgod says:

chris the saskatchewan roughriders have fans in every city across canada you go to games in any city and you’ll see saskatchewan rough riders shirts,jerseys hats etc….out here and in the cfl they are dubbed as canada’s team they have more fans aand make more money than all other 8 teams combined out here it’s riders 24/7 even during the winter months on our local call in shows it’s riders,riders,riders, it gets pretty sickening though …thank god for hio ,tsn 690 etc……. actually the only day they talk nhl on local radio here is during the season on hockey wednesdays
        so alot of 200r 30 yr olds yr in regina could give a dam about the nfl they don’t care as long as the riders are here!

• Chris says:

I’ve spent the last 20 years in universities, where sports t-shirts, hats and jerseys are worn on a daily basis by the students.

In all that time, I have yet to see a single Saskatchewan Roughriders hat, t-shirt or jersey. I’ve seen all 7 NHL franchises (with the Jets being in third behind Toronto, as I am in Ontario, and Montreal). I’ve seen the Raptors and the Jays (lots and lots of Jays hats). I see TONS of Expos hats. I see hundreds of soccer jerseys (especially the big European clubs, but a lot of Toronto FC and an increasing number of Vancouver Whitecaps gear…sadly, no impact).

We get all manner of NFL gear in the classes, and the usual suspects of the other major sports (the Yankees, Red Sox, Lakers, Knicks, Celtics, and whoever has been winning championships).

But zero CFL gear. No Argonauts, and certainly no Roughriders. I have no problem buying that the Roughriders brand is huge in Saskatchewan. I have a very hard time believing it is the 3rd strongest in the country simply because people under the age of 30 in most of the country couldn’t care less about the CFL. It is a non-entity.

Did you know that one of Elmer Lach’s Stanley Cup Rings was just found by a very young boy playing at Shediac shore line in New Brunswick.
    Lost many decades ago while fishing there with the Rocket!

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

20. HabFab says:

Article about de la Rose and Team Sweden for the WJC. However interesting the confirmation he will be playing for Hamilton this season.

21. HabFab says:

Your morning chuckle!

Dave Stubbs

#Habs legend Elmer Lach, alive & well at 96, on a broadcaster saying on air last week he’d died years ago: “I’m glad I didn’t suffer!”

22. HabFab says:

The NHL And KHL extended their Player agreement for another year last week. For some reasons silence is golden it seems.

23. John Q Public says:

Tomatillo !
    Quite tasty.

24. HabFab says:

So Temmu to announce his future plans today at 11 ET … at a presser organized by the new Finnish KHL team??

25. habs-fan-84 says:

One of my favourite Star Trek TNG episodes is “The Drumhead”. That is all.

• southaltahab says:

That reminds me of the time my young brother-in-law wrote a letter complaining to Channels 2 & 7 in Calgary because they would preempt TNG for Flames hockey with Ed Whalen. He loved that show and would be so pissed to find hockey on. He did get a reply and they were very courteous but for some reason still broadcast Flames hockey.

26. Cal says:

Best sci-fi film for August: A Boy and His Dog.
    Best film for the kids during August: It’s a tie between Beethoven and Benji.

27. habs-hampton says:

Need some help here guys. We have some tickets here at our office for a raffle. We don’t actually have them in our hands yet, but they are for Nov. 15 against Philly. They are in the Whites, that’s all we know.

What is the approximate face value of each ticket?

28. habs-fan-84 says:

Any news on Price’s knee?

29. Maritime Ronn says:

Here’s a topic stretch…

It appears that Kevin Hayes – the Chicago 2010 1st round draft pick (24th overall) will not sign with the Blackhawks and become a UFA on August 15th.

Hayes is a big Right Winger (6’3″-205) that just finished 4 NCAA years at Boston College with a great last year of 27G/65Pts in 40 games.
    Put in a little perspective, the Habs signed a very good NCAA prospect in Daniel Carr. He scored 22G/50 Pts. in 39 games last year.

Habs NHL depth on right wing is average, along with many prospect question marks and unknowns.
    The 2 of the top 9 are Gallagher/Parenteau followed by 4th liner Wiese. Then a drop off with no NHL experience, several with size and development issues.

Sekac (KHL)-Andrighetto/Thomas (tiny)-Holland Sherbak-McCarron…

Are the Habs pursuing Hayes, or is Montreal even on his list of teams?
    When Hayes was drafted in 2010,GM Bergevin was the Hawks Dir. of Player Personnel so GMMB knows him.

Contract will not be an issue because of the cap put on ELCs, but real NHL money may determine things…and not collecting $75K per year in the AHL.
    Florida may be #1 as his brother Jimmy plays there.
    Calgary may be #2 as his Boston College linemates are in the system.
    Go get’im GMMB

• on2ndthought says:

Looks like NYR may have an inside edge, as he’s buddies with Public Enemy #1. Actually plays LW. Looks like a solid pick up. If he doesn’t sign here, I hope he goes out west.

“a cannonading drive”

• habtastic74 says:

I at least hope we are in the running. The AAV of an ELC tops out pretty low, so it really can’t hurt anything. It’s all about what each club can offer the player as far as guaranteed NHL playing time and things like that. Unfortunately, he probably has other options that can give him a 100% shot at the NHL next year. For us we can only really tell him he has a good chance to beat out Sekac, Bournival, Andrighetto, etc. I also wonder if signing Hayes would be a put off to Sekac who probably would have signed elsewhere if he knew that we’d sign another young winger in front of him.

• on2ndthought says:

and this from Elliot Friedman: 46. For a while now it’s been assumed that if 2010 first-round pick Kevin Hayes decides not to sign in Chicago, his first choice would be Florida. That’s where his brother Jimmy plays. There are rumblings, though, that the Panthers may choose not to go this route. That makes the favourites Boston (where he went to school) or Pittsburgh (Tom Fitzgerald is a cousin). If he does not sign with the Blackhawks by Aug. 15, he will be a free agent.

“a cannonading drive”

• Loop_Garoo says:

I would rather him than Andrighetto or Thomas. Would love to see the habs make a conditional trade for negotiating rights for the week. 6th round pick for the rights, with something else added (3rd??) if he signs. Chicago may just want something for him if it has become clear he won’t sign there.

• HabFab says:

Born, raised and went to school in Bean country. Can’t imagine he would have strong inclinations towards us.

30. Luke says:

I hope everyone had a splendid weekend!

31. petefleet says:

Anybody have any idea when the website is going to start selling individual game tix?

“Being on the PP doesn’t make you an offensive threat anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car.”
    Henry Ford

“You can’t believe everything you read on the internet”.
    Abraham Lincoln

***Go Habs Go***

• Hobie says:

I believe it’s the end of August or early September…

Make sure you are in the virtual waiting room a half hour before tickets go on sale.

• petefleet says:

Thanx Hobie. I always get in the room but couldn’t remember when it was. I’ll be looking for Superbowl weekend again…it’s become a bit of a tradition for me and my buddy…3 years now.

Henry Ford

“You can’t believe everything you read on the internet”.
        Abraham Lincoln

***Go Habs Go***

• Mr_MacDougall says:

My lady and I also went Super Bowl weekend a couple times (one year we went for wed-thur home games on our way back to PEI from Fort Mac.. Love the idea of seeing 2 games.

The old Super Bowl split.. I wish the Habs could win both games!

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Hobie says:

Only problem with the early start on Super Bowl weekend is that the crowd seems half a sleep. I took my GF one year and we had to go back again because I wanted her to experience a Saturday night game in Montreal where the crowd is rocking.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I agree Hobie… I saw Boston in the afternoon once, not the same as a night game.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

32. JF says:

We seem to have absolutely run out of things to talk about. Where are all the discussions about films, books, restaurants, poutine, … that usually enliven this site during the dog days of August?

• Lafleurguy says:

Messed up a few pages of a book with poutine you can now buy at McDonald’s. Mom at the next table was playing “Shrek” on her I Pad for her two kids. The dog was tied up outside.

• southaltahab says:

I just read “The Martian” by Andy Weir. Pretty cool book about a guy stranded on Mars and how he’s rescued. Really gets into the technical stuff. Was interesting.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I read The Hiram Key, which is an unofficial history of The Free Masons. Very controversial and has many extraordinary assumptions-conclusions which makes it a difficult read because you have to treat it as a cross between non-fiction and fiction (well I did anyway). If you’re a deep thinker, this will get your mind going,very deep stuff.. Covers everything from Ancient Egypt, Ancient Judaism, Knights Templar, Celtic Folklore and up to the present day.

About to begin Fingerprints of the Gods by Graham Hancock, whom I consider one of the most thought provoking historians/theorists around today.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Cal says:

I’ve seen Hancock on Ancient Aliens. The assumptions and leaps of logic on that show are hilarious!
        Another fun show is America Unearthed. Not as nutty as Aliens but just as earnest and wrong.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I haven’t seen Ancient Aliens. I’ll look into America unearthed. I don’t like to think of Graham as right or wrong, but as a man who questions classic historians theories that are presented as fact, he is a man that presents alternative possibilities. For instance, his dating method of the Sphinx is far more reasonable than generally accepted theories of 2500bc.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

33. Cal says:

Things to do while awaiting training camp:
    1. Make the most of the rest of the summer by getting into shape for the new season by watching highlight clips of the Habs 2014 playoff run.
    2. Send away to all NHL teams for a media guide.
    3. Demonstrate to your friends and family that you can do more than plant yourself in front of the tv and watch hockey. Go to the local library and borrow a book on the subject and put it on the side table next to your comfy chair. Whenever a family member enters the room, pick it up while looking pensive.
    4. Offer to help around the house. Don’t actually do anything, but make sure you make the offer. Eases the tension.
    5. Mow the lawn. Better still, pave the lawn. You won’t have to bother with it for a long time.

34. Mavid ® says:

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

35. krob1000 says:

Melky Cabrera today reached base 8 times!!!! he never scored a run…ouch…but the Jays still won it…but that has to be some sort of record I would think..8 times and never once driven in?

36. habstrinifan says:

Rory … a new generational talent! Amazing!

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

37. CJ says:

Best golf tournament I’ve watched this year. Punch and counter punch. Absolutely amazing. Rory is just a notch above the field, a cut above the rest.

• southaltahab says:

He sure is in the zone right now. I was kinda rooting for Phil.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Great golf Tournament, if the conditions were not like that, Rory plunks that on 18. I think we have a new era of golf, with Tiger gone (he aint coming close to winning another major, TW is done). Rory has a bright future ahead of him.

I think the US may get schlacked in the Ryder Cup, never know though. I would put Phil and Rickie together.

38. Mavid ® says:

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

Al Geiberger the first to shoot a 59, also some guy named Grabovski.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Canadian moe Norman shot 59 three times… At my local club, the elders told me that when he was there doing a seminar in the 80′s he put a 5 gallon bucket 200 yards away and was dropping balls into it with near every club in the bag.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

Morning MacDougall, I had the good fortune of seeing him at the driving range at a course about 18 years ago. Obviously past his prime, but I stood on the range beside him (there was only my buddy me and Moe there) and I pretended to hit the odd shot, but mostly just watched him. Unbelievable talent, Trevino always said that Moe Norman was the purest ball striker he ever did see, and that includes Jack.

CHeers!

• Maritime Ronn says:

59 is the 17th smallest prime number.
      Beethoven’s Opus 59 consists of the three so-called Razumovsky Quartets
      Satchel Paige became the oldest major league baseball player at age 59.

59 Mikhail Grabovski
      59 Martti Jarventie-played 1 Habs game in 2001/02
      59 Brock Trotter

39. UKRAINIANhab says:

go Phil!

40. HabFab says:

Not a NASCAR fan but after watching the video of the accident… that does not look kosher!

41. Un Canadien errant says:

Review: “Journeyman”, by Sean Pronger

As he often derides himself, Sean Pronger is famous for having a little brother, namely Chris. Even though Sean as an NHL player measured in at 6’3″ and 220 lbs, he had to look up at his 6’6″ brother, literally and in terms of their respective hockey achievements. His good grace in dealing with his lot and the constant comparisons are evident throughout his memoir “Journeyman: The Many Triumphs (And Even More Numerous Defeats) of a Guy Who’s Seen Just About Everything In the Game of Hockey”, which he co-wrote with his friend Dan Murphy of Sportsnet fame.

The book is a thoroughly enjoyable read, and delivers on the promise of an insider’s look at the world of the fringe NHL player, with the trades and demotions to the minors and recalls, the anxious summers waiting for a contract and the toll it takes on a player’s psyche and on his family life. While the subject is dealt with frankly, it’s also a humourous account, with many self-deprecation potshots. Mr. Pronger doesn’t deal in ‘Woe is me.’ He is very aware that even the life of a minor-league hockey player is pretty good, considering he’s getting paid very well to play a game he loves.

There is a foreword by Brian Burke, in which he recounts that he had a hand in drafting both Sean (with Vancouver) and Chris (with Hartford), and that he’s “one for two”. Having gotten that witticism out of the way, Burkie is highly complimentary of the character, the person that is Sean Pronger, and also the type of fully committed player he was.

The authors launch right into the tale, starting with a vignette from Mr. Pronger’s time in the ECHL playing for Knoxville. We then flash back to his draft day, his time at Bowling Green in the NCAA, his graduation and subsequent halting start to his pro hockey career.

While reading, I was forced to compare this book to a similar work I read recently, “Tales of a First-Round Nothing” by Terry Ryan, and can say that without question “Journeyman” is a much stronger effort. It’s a much more readable, coherent account, and delivers on what the reader wants, which is what happened, when and how did it happen, and why did it happen. We get a much fuller picture and more satisfying read from Mr. Pronger than we do from Mr. Ryan.

I suspect much credit should go to co-author Dan Murphy, who among other duties acts as between-periods host of Canucks telecasts. While he is not the wordsmith and jokester that co-host Don Taylor is, he is an able and knowledgeable reporter and media person, and very well-spoken. Putting two heads together on this project must certainly have helped the final results.

Another reason this is a better read is that Sean Pronger confronts his lack of success in the NHL head-on, realistically describing his ‘low ceiling’ and how his game was centred on effort rather than talent. Further, he is a more sympathetic figure than Terry Ryan, possibly because we get a sense that he expended every effort, on the ice and off, and during the off-season, to make a career for himself. “Journeyman” is replete with stories of working out before and after practices, during games when he was a healthy scratch, and over the summer. All of this is notably absent from Mr. Ryan’s book.

Further, Sean Pronger probably has better tactics than Mr. Ryan, in how he listens to his agent, and how he approaches the game, and his coaches when he wants more ice-time and opportunities. In comparison, Mr. Ryan tells how he clashed with his coach, and his efforts to impress are limited to pugilism with the other teams’ heavyweights. It does seem that Sean Pronger had a clearer plan of what he needed to do, and while he doesn’t entirely succeed, he does eke out a decade-long pro hockey career.

There are many insights in the book on how a borderline NHL’er deals with teammates, veterans, newcomers. He explains the weird situation in the AHL whereby he goes to war every game with his teammates, yet is in constant competition with them, jockeying for position while they await the next recall or at training camp. He has a few brushes with greatness, notably playing with Wayne Gretzky on the Rangers, and with Teemu Selanne and Paul Kariya with the Ducks.

On a topical note, he was in the Canucks’ lineup the night Todd Bertuzzi assaulted Steve Moore. I imagine he might be called as a witness by the Canucks/Marc Crawford/Todd Bertuzzi in these proceedings, as his comments on the matter play well in their favour. Anyone wanting to know more about what happened that night will certainly get one clear perspective by reading his book.

Another interesting chapter deals with his experience in Europe, playing with Frankfurt in the German First Division. We tend to think of players going to Europe getting paid generously, with other compensation like housing and a car being supplied by the team, and playing in a less-intense league, a semi-retirement, semi-vacation. His memories are not that rosy, and we come to understand that some situations are not ideal, which is informative when we think back to Max Pacioretty’s experience in Switzerland during Gary Bettman’s Third Lockout. Some of what Max was up against sounds very similar to what Mr. Pronger recounts.

There are many, many other reasons to read this book, such as his time playing for Pat Burns with the Bruins, or his time in the Canucks’ system playing for the Manitoba Moose in Winnipeg. His anecdote in the bar with Kevin Bieksa and Sergei Fedorov’s ‘little’ brother Fedor is hilarious. Even though the reader knows there is no ultimate payoff, no Cinderella ending, the pages fly by.

I have no hesitation in recommending “Journeyman”, it’s an engrossing, rewarding read, and helps the average fan fill in the picture regarding what the fourth-liner with the one-year, two-way contract goes through.

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

Hey Ricky Fowler – lift, clean and place every frackin’ hole? Be a man, step up and stop being a timmy tyke.

24 Cups

43. JUST ME says:

3 hours without a single comment on HIO !

It must be beautiful outside all over the world…not convinced…
    Must be summer then !
    Must be calm on the lake.
    Must be getting close to the 18 th hole by now !
    Must be with the wife who had my day planned well in advance !

Good times ! Enjoy everyone !

44. Dunboyne Mike says:

Hahahaha!

I just did the poll. I ticked “More than 30″ just so I could come back and say I was the only one.

I’M NOT! 55 others!

Oh man, it is so definitely time to log out!

45. JUST ME says:

Such a sad story about the driver who was struck and killed by Tony Stewart yesterday. Although the pictures and sounds of the tragedy seems to tell a story by their own, you just do not go by foot after another driver while the race is on, it`s just suicidal and well…he was 20 years young. Sad.

• habs-fan-84 says:

NASCAR drivers have been doing that for years and not only does it look idiotic, it is idiotic. Stewart has had a reputation of being a hot-head his entire career, looks like it finally caught up to him.

IMO it’s pretty clear he “fishtailed” to hit him. Obviously, I don’t think Stewart wanted to kill the guy, but in the heat of the moment he wanted to “get him”. Similar to the Pacioretty/Chara incident, I don’t think Chara wanted to break Max’s neck, but when he saw who it was, he thought to himself “I’m going to get him this time”.

• JUST ME says:

We can hear the sound of his engine «reving» clearly as he approaches. I suppose he was trying to scare him off or make him aware but on a dirt track it sends the back of your car sideways…

Don`t want to judge either. Stewart just sent the kid in the wall and he was trying to get back at him i guess but it`s just senseless and a useless death that`s all…

• habs-fan-84 says:

Totally agree.
          First Stewart rides him into the wall and on the second pass he fishtails out. Stewart may have only just wanted to get close and scare the hell out of the kid. Unfortunately, it was a very poor lapse in judgement which resulted in the unnecessary death of a 20 year old.

Can’t help but wonder, if this is the catalyst which introduces some sort of penalty to drivers venturing down track (for some sort of “retribution”) after an accident, both in NASCAR and throughout the various under-card series’ in the US.

• JUST ME says:

We do not know either what role that blue car in front of Stewart`s played in either one`s view of what was coming.

It goes beyond rules that you just are no match as a human body against a car . No amount of money will bring back that kid . He just felt invincible i guess as every kid his age and acted on hormones…

• habs-fan-84 says:

Yep, a truly unfortunate and likely preventable “incident”.

46. Dunboyne Mike says:

Further to Tinordi+Fighting discussion:

What was Big Bird like in junior? He sure as hell didn’t make a career of it, but he could of course go when necessary.

Just ask Dave S!

I’d be happy if Tinordi cleared the crease, had a good outlet pass, decent shot from the blue line.

And could go when necessary.

47. Dunboyne Mike says:

International rugby 7s — Vancouver through to the final, kicks off at 12.51 EDT.

Alas, I can’t find a link for you. It’s on local TV here on Setanta Ireland.

48. Hobie says:

@JUST ME

My main hope for Tinordi is that he becomes an elite shut down defenceman. The fighting comes secondary but is most likely something he will do fairly frequently throughout his career.

Your comment is crazy sir, in all due respect.

****
    “Oh yes he can take on the opponent, clear the crease and defend his mates but he is as a fighter as D.D. is . It`s just that he is so tall that people think that…”
    ****

If you go back to Tinordi’s last year of junior and his time in Hamilton and Montreal he’s probably had 40 fights? So to say that he’s as much of a fighter as DD or people only expect him to fight because he’s tall is dead wrong. That’s crazy talk.

He wants to fight, period. And he’s pretty darn good at it and will be among the best once he finishes adapting to that large frame of his. IMO and probably most peoples’ opinions.

I’ve seen his dad asked about him several times and he always says he encourages Tinordi to drop the gloves and be mean and nasty every chance he gets. His dad said he gets annoyed he doesn’t do it more often. Tough dad…

• Paz says:

Was Tinordi ever elite? I don’t see him that way.

• Hobie says:

“elite shutdown.”

As in playing top minutes and in crucial moments of the game. Smothering the other teams stars and making life miserable for them. A beast in his own end but good enough to play with a guy like Subban.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Fingers and toes crossed that this is what he becomes. If I didn’t watch other teams play sometimes, and a little bit of Murray, I would have forgotten what it’s like when a d-man knocks people out of the crease!

• Paz says:

I hope that is the case. But that’s a long shot. Usually guys Tinordis size lack the mobility to make it all the way to top line minutes. They can’t shut down the other team’s top players because they can’t move quickly enough in close quarters. Pronger and Chara are very, very rare.

• Rad says:

Hi Hobie. I think elite may be stretching it. Although a fairly good skater, he doesn’t seem to have the puck-handling ability to be considered elite. How about he becomes a “good” shutdown D-man?

• JUST ME says:

It`s O.K. Hobie. I guess you got the message . By comparing with D.D. i was just going overboard to illustrate that the opposite is also wrong. This guy is not more a fighter than anybody else or a least will not make a carreer out of the specialty.
          I just wanted to state that some expect him to be a leader in the rough and tough department. Who knows in the future ? Right now he is not and even if dad wants his kid to play that way he was not recognized for this in his junior days when actually this is where you usually get noticed for that aspect of your game. I did write that i expect him to defend himself and his mates if needed but i do not see him as the dominator.

• Phil C says:

I agree he is not a goon who will make a career out of fighting, but he is a good fighter. Last year he gave Gleason a concussion and broke Carter Ashton’s nose, so he can throw them.

• Loop_Garoo says:

Ok, most people here should know I am against fighting in the NHL, but didn’t Tinordi knock some veteran NHL guys out of commission for a while in exhibition last year? I seem to remember a concussion and a broken nose for his opponents.

I do think Tinordi will, in a few years, be one of the guys you see on the ice in the last minute of a one goal game, paired with a more mobile puck moving d. The term “elite” is subject to interpretation, but I see him as a pretty important part of the defense, starting very soon.

• CH Marshall says:

During all that unfortunate hoopla about Parros being taken out in game 1, a lot of folks overlooked another fight: Tinordi bashing Ashton Carter senseless and breaking his nose. He is a much better fighter than given credit for.. In fact, I think that shocked the Leafs and a lot of people, and since then Ive noticed a bit of weariness on the part of other players of doing the dance with him when given the chance to play.

49. Dunboyne Mike says:

Hey, no shortage of Canadian rugby this weekend.

There’s an international 7-aside club tournament on in Limerick, with the semi about to start in 5 mins. The teams are the Vancouver Bears vs a club from Western Province in South Africa.

Even easier to watch than full 15-aside: all passing and sprinting.

But it feels a bit weird shouting for a team with bear in their name….

I’m sure it’s on tv or online somewhere.

Mike

50. punkster says:

Good read on hockey analytics and their place, now and in the future:

And the SportVU technology soon to be deployed to make tracking easier:

Release the Subbang!!!

51. HabFab says:

Lyle takes a look at the growth of advanced stats in hockey;

I’m in agreement that it can be a useful tool. However is not the be all, end all that some seem to promote.

52. habs001 says:

Right now the Habs are still a team in progress…There are at least 14 teams that are just as good as the Habs or better…The roster gets better each year but it is still has a ways to go to be considered a Cup winning roster…The good news is that lot of the best teams are in the West so the Habs will not have to play 3 of them in a row because the roster is just not good enough to do that….

• JUST ME says:

We should do quite good next season, pretty close to what was achieved last season. I expect maybe a few less points in the standings because of inexperience but i can`t wait to see guys like Sekac and Parenteau and also our D-squad. We lost a total of over 4000 NHL games played with all the players that left and this may hurt us in the playoffs but as you say , this team is in a building process and is in the not quite ready to drink from the big mug category.

Do not know if last season`s results will play against us cause the expectations maybe a bit crooked because of that.

53. habs001 says:

If the Habs D had no veterans than i can see them signing the Cube…Weaver 36,Markov 35, Gilbert 31 and Emelin 28……The Habs supposed to have their greatest strength in D prospects so signing the Cube at this time would make no sense with so many veterans on the roster…

• JUST ME says:

Time to deal with what the kids can offer us. Up until now it was o.k. to have the Cube in the lineup to give a little time for the kids to gain experience in the farm team and get used to the system but now we must turn the page on Cube and deal with whatever this new era brings.
      And to be quite honest , in my book i would not understand us signing Bouillon and letting go Whitey. It would make no sense according to the needs of the team.

54. habstrinifan says:

Good Sunday Morning everyone.

I thought about awakening you all with wit, humour(they are different) parody, adventure yarn, or maybe a bit of evangelism.

But I got NUTTIN!

So lets talk about the most subfusc (careful now) role on the hockey team. That of 3rd line toiler who works his butt off preventing goals and killing penalties and has a threadbare spot on every game jersey from the continual and urgent tap of his coach requiring him to, once again, ‘hit the ice’.

The subfusc toils away in all subfusc(careful now) situations… unheralded.

The HABS need a subfusc to complement Plekanec and replace Gionta on a subfuscous line. Coaches usually give the subfusc role to players like Moore or that guy we stole from Boston one season who was so subfuscuous good that I could never remember his name.

But sometimes teams get lucky and draft/develop a prominent player who, while very talented, has acquired the style and effectiveness of a damn good subfusc.

Which is why I am delighted to see enlightenment return to HIO. in the post of one, Mr. Very Habby(a most un-subfusc kind of name by the way). I quote…

“actually think that Bournival can replace what Gio did on ice last year…I can see him in that role.”

Finally proper recognition for our budding subfusc. Contrary to the many who have been predicting ‘no spot on the team’ for Bournival, Mr VeryHabby has pegged it right. HABS will have one of the better utility lines in the league with the pairing of Plekanec and Bournival.

You heard it here first. Bournival will have a ‘subfuscing’ (careful now) role on this team this upcoming season.. maybe even surpassing Prust.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

Hilarious Off season rankings

Leafs get to his Top 5 because…

” ….Bringing in Brendan Shanahan as team president seems enlightened…. Shanahan’s hiring of 28-year-old Kyle Dubas — a stats-based hockey mind…”
      That’s it!

Leaf media is just too funny.
      They believe they are innovators with the hiring of the young man, but just about every team in the NHL has an analytics stats man or has hired an outside consultant to help put together some proprietary software that answers the specific needs of the team way over and above Corsi/Fenwick – and that includes the Habs.

I’m still waiting for this Headline from Leaf media

“Toronto Maple Leafs invent the Internet-Al Gore lied.”

• 24 Cups says:

Ronn – I live in laffland so I get to experience the Toronto biased media on a daily basis.

As for the Habs, their off season changes basically come down to this:

Gionta > Parenteau
        White/Briere > Malhotra
        Bouillon/Murray > Beaulieu/Tinordi/Pateryn
        Gorges > Gilbert
        Budaj > Tokarski
        Vanek > not enough cap space to replace

As Hab fans, we can evaluate these moves but it might be interesting to see what other fans in other cities think of Montreal’s off season adjustments.

24 Cups

• scamorza says:

just read the same article this morning – was in yesterday’s star – sorry but I don’t see how the moves ( or really non moves) that Toronto made being in the top 5, ( did gfind that very amusing). As for Montreal i still say we can not underestimate how important the Malhotra signing was especially for critical faceoffs and PK. Not sure which Parentau will show up but hope playing at home will motivate him and not be his death knell

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

55. Ncognito says:

@CJ
    I can vouch for Gahan House. Great brews and a nice pub/restaurant.

There’s also the PEI brewing Company that is just up the raod from the race track. No restaurant but there are quite a few nice spots to eat depending on what your in the mood for.

And the track has a great buffet to chose from. The lunch buffet is not as extensive as the evening buffet but it’s great food.

$12 per person admission to the raceway/fair grounds during Old Home Week. If you plan on going back during the week you can buy a weekly pass for $20 per person.

If I’m not in front og the grill with my blue folding chair I may be up in the buffet since it looks like rain on and off all day. If you want to meet up for a couple beers – I’m bald with glasses, 50 and will be wearing a black addidas shirt with grey on the front shoulders. Conrad

56. Hobie says:

Jarred Tinordi. I’ve classified him as being a light heavyweight on this site on several occasions. Usually during one of the arguments where people are claiming the Habs have yet to acquire an enforcer this summer.

I think we still have yet to find out exactly what Tinordi will evolve into. Some believe that he’s got bottom pairing potential while others believe he will one day play top minutes.

He definitely isn’t Zdeno Chara or Shae Webber but I definitely think he’s going to be better than a guy like Adam McQuaid on Boston.

I find it funny when people use points and offense to rate Tinordi. People complain that Beaulieu is faster and a better passer so he’s much more valuable than Tinordi. Really?

Tinordi is going to be the guy who’s on the ice for 30 minutes taking on the Getzlafs, Malkins and Ovechkins of the world. He’s going to be smothering them in the corner, roughing them up in front of the net and slapping the puck of their sticks coming across the line.

If Tinordi gets 3 goals and 15 assists I’m thrilled. I don’t even care about points with Tinordi to tell you the truth. It would be a bonus if he developed a good wrist shot though traffic on the point or whatever but that’s about it. He does definitely have to have a good exit strategy from his zone though.

Back to toughness. I think we’ll see him at over 230lbs when he arrives in September. I don’t necessarily want him in 15 heavyweight tilts a year but I think he’ll hold his own when the heavyweights come calling. As we’ve seen, Tinordi initiates many times as well. I’d like to see him go at it with Lucic. He’ll do well if he’s added some more strength and balance.

• shiram says:

So a bigger, more physical Gorges?
      Or just plain a more physical Hal Gill?

I’d be fine with either , though I think 30 minutes for a guy that size involves being in extremely great shape.
      Chara does it, but he’s a freak.

Top 2 is certainly the top end of his potential I feel, it also depends on the teams defensive depth.
      His mobility might hamper him, there’s a lot of very agile and fast forwards in the game now.

if he eventually settles in a top 4 role, I would not be disappointed.

As for Lucic, he’ll probably back down, hit Tinordi in the nuts from behind and trash talk about him to reporters…

• Hobie says:

Unlike Gorges on some nights, Tinordi should be able to get the puck on his stick and clear the zone. You actually saw Tinordi working on that last year. 9 times out of 10 he did well but unfortunately he had a couple ugly giveaways that cost the Habs goals. I think there was a bit of bad luck there and he’ll also learn from those mistakes.

Gorges had heart but a lot of his shot blocking and nifty coverups were partly because he couldn’t get the puck on his stick and out. He was scrambling a lot of the time.

I think Tinordi will be a tougher, faster and better version of Gill without a doubt.

• shiram says:

To be fair Gorges was not always has bad with the puck as we’ve seen in last season, he could actually make a pass for the play to go up the ice.

Hal Gill is the more reasonable comparison, and I also think like you that Tinordi can be better.

That said when he was here Gill as a smart veteran and leader, things that only come from years of experience.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Here’s not knowing how much Gorges played hurt, yet there was a definite fall off in whatever foot speed and skating he had over the past 2 years

• Hobie says:

We’ll see what the Habs defence looks like without Gorges this year. I actually love the guy and cheer for him.

Unfortunately, there were so many times where Gorges would engage someone along the boards, battle for the puck, not get control of it and the play would continue. Later in the shift Gorges is flailing around in front of the net, blocks a shot and then maybe the Habs clear it. It may have been a nice desperation block but the puck should have been long gone before that.

After the game people talk about the great shot block but if you rewind the tape a good defenceman would never have even had to of made the block.

For years people would go on and on about what a great defensive defeceman he was. I was always like, he’s OK but am I missing something here?

Hi Hobie
      It’s really hard to project how Tinordi will evolve until he plays – and plays with confidence knowing he won’t be benched or sent to Hamilton for a mistake or 2.

You mention Chara.
      It took him a long time to get going.
      In his first 4 seasons with the Islanders, he scored a grand total of 6 goals.
      Only when he was traded to Ottawa…as a 25 year old, did he score 10 goals/23 points.
      His first big offensive year was as a 27 year old with Ottawa in the 2003-04 season when he scored 16 goals and had 41 pts.

Big, tall guys need time to grow into their bodies and get that needed NHL coordination and skating/balance.
      Tinordi is only 22.

• vegas says:

I’d really love for Bergevin to go after a guy like DYlan McIlrath

in a couple of years our top pairings could look as follows

Emelin – Subban
      Beaulieu – McIlrath
      Tinordi – Pateryn / Nygrin

proper right and left mix
      size – grit and balance

withTinordi and McIlrath on the blue line I don’t think there will be to many guys parked in the crease

MB work some magic

we have an abundance of decent smaller prospects and a slew of D coming up

Reway / Lehkonen / Andrighetto
      Nygren / Ellis / Thrower
      a second rounder?

Can’t keep them all so might as well package a few and take care of a definate need

• piper says:

I like the way you think but he was a first round pick that has had some injury problems the last couple of years. Sather won’t be so quick to give up on him, especially within the conference.
        I agree though, that’s exactly how I’d like to see the defence built.

• JUST ME says:

I think that you have a pretty good view of what Tinordi will turn out to be . It will take time for people to understand that HE WILL NOT turn out to be an enforcer. Oh yes he can take on the opponent, clear the crease and defend his mates but he is as a fighter as D.D. is . It`s just that he is so tall that people think that…

He will turn out to be what people in MTL always criticize, a stay at home defenseman. Will be very usefull to protect our zone but will not really shine offensively and as you say with his strenght and size will probably get mild successes outside of his comfort zone.

To be honest, if i judge by the comments i read here, i think people will run him out of town because their expectations about him are soooo off target …We`ll see….

57. Lafleurguy says:

P.E.I has a higher per capita presence on HIO than Burlington, although we have more Habs fans in Burlington…..and general population too.

• CJ says:

I’ve always appreciated the presence in Ottawa, mind you it’s only a two hour drive to the bell centre. Lots of HIO fans in Ottawa.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Guy, CJ! I’m always amazed at the number of Hab fans all over the world. We share a fondness for the Habs with many around the world.

CJ – Enjoy your trip!

• Maritime Ronn says:

Can you share your Gazinta formula?

• Maritime Ronn says:

A bit of a tough area around here.
      With Brad The Nose Marchand, and 2 fellas from Cole Harbor named Sidney Crosby and Nathan MacKinnon (wonder what’s in the water there?) it’s tough sledding for Habs fans.
      Of course there’s always the funny die hard Leaf fans walking around with old beat up hats…

Bobby Smith owns the Mooseheads, but a younger generation would not remember his last Habs season 25 years ago – yea, it’s been that long.

• Ron says:

Don’t forget the ever tough Mike McPhee. I think he is living in the Halifax area now. He is a cousin of my wife’s. The McPhee family is originally from the River Bourgeois, Cape Breton area. He played all out.

• Habfan10912 says:

One of my favorites as well, Ron.

hi ron
          Looks like he is doing fine
          From his wiki page

” McPhee earned a civil engineering degree at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, where he was a standout player for the Engineers before making his professional debut in 1982.
          After retiring from the NHL, he went back to school to complete his MBA.
          He is currently working as a financial advisor for National Bank of Canada in Halifax, Nova Scotia.”

Tough and smart – nice combo

• Ron says:

I had met him a few years ago at a family reunion gathering on the Cape. Great down to earth guy.

• Lafleurguy says:

Gentleman J., CJ, Ronn, it’s inspiring, surreal, and gratifying all wrapped into one feeling, when one exchanges ideas and feelings with Shanghai, County Meath, Sydney, Germany, Netherlands, Hong Kong, Brazil, Ukraine, Tuurku, Norway, Korea, and Ogdensburgh. (Of course, I’ve forgotten some fine places)

58. Maritime Ronn says:

Good morning

Another TSN Leafs propaganda gem to make Leaf Nation feel good.

@GMillerTSN: RT @esbbob: Since Oilers traded Wayne Gretzky 26 years ago today they have the 2nd-worst record of any of the 21 NHL teams at the time (NYI)
    ———————————-
    Well, Gretzky was traded in summer 1988.
    The Oilers won the Stanley Cup in 1990 with Messier leading the way and no Gretzky/Paul Coffey.
    The Oilers also went to the Cup Finals in 2006, where they lost to the Hurricane.

What you will never read or hear on TSN…..
    Leafs? Not only have they not won a Stanley Cup since 1967, yet they have also NEVER played in a Cup Final since then.

Yes, the Oilers playoff drought is now 8 seasons since 06/07.
    Leafs? Had it not been for the pure luck of a 48 game, ‘not enough time to choke’ shortened 2012-13 season, the Leafs would have been the ONLY team in the NHL not to make the playoffs since the last NHL work stoppage back in 2004.

And how have the Leafs faired in the Individual Trophies?

Norris ( Best Defenseman):
    Began in 1953 – NO Leaf has ever won this trophy.
    Art Ross (Leading scorer):
    Began in 1948 – NO Leaf has ever won this trophy.
    Ted Lindsay (MVP selected by the players):
    Began in 1970, NO Leaf has ever won this Trophy.

Hart: (MVP) Began in 1923:
    Guy Lafleur has as many Hart Trophies (2) as every single player to have ever suited up for the Leafs, with the exceptions of Babe Pratt in 1943 and Teeder Kennedy in 1955.
    *Jose Theodore has only 1 less Hart Trophy that the entire history of the Toronto Maple Leafs

Calder: (Rookie of the year) In a few years, it will be 50 years since the last Leaf won this trophy – Britt Selby.
    Vezina: It will be 50 years next year since the last Leafs won this trophy ( Bower-Sawchuk)

Conn Smythe:
    You would have to go back to 1967 when Dave Keon won the only Leafs Smythe trophy – then again, to have a chance, a team actually has to get to a Stanley Cup Final….

• Lafleurguy says:

You’re making me feel respect for Leafs fans.
      Interesting that Ron Ellis beat out Bobby Orr for the Calder.

• Habfan10912 says:

Good morning Ronn. Growing up we only were able to get 1 televised NHL game a week via Hockey Night in Canada. As a Hab fan I was always upset when that game turned out to be a Leaf game and not my beloved Habs. I’ve had a certain dislike for the Leafs ever since. :)

Hi Jim
        I don’t get the love, but it may be just love from pity… like when Lucy always pulled the ball away from poor Charlie Brown.

” Lucy tells Charlie Brown that she will hold a football while he kicks it. Charlie Brown usually refuses to kick it at first, not trusting Lucy. Lucy then says something to persuade Charlie Brown to trust her. Charlie Brown runs up to kick the ball, but at the very last second before he can kick it, Lucy removes the ball and Charlie Brown flies into the air, before falling down and hurting himself.
        The gag usually ends with Lucy pointing out to Charlie Brown that he should not have trusted her.”

59. CJ says:

Good evening friends.

Well, 13+ hours of driving, a time change, multiple pit stops and a night in Grand Falls, NB later, we’ve landed – softly I might add – on the southeast shore of PEI.

We dined this evening at the chowder house, adjacent to the oldest lighthouse in PEI (1845). If the meals are even somewhat consistent with what we enjoyed this evening, we are in for a week of decedance. I’m looking forward to exploring the Island tomorrow, before teeing it up at Crowbush on Monday.

So, in the spirit of vacation, I thought I’d give the commentariat a break and leave you all to your own devices. I look forward to checking in and reconnecting in the near future. In the interim, keep your head-up and stick on the ice.

Sincerely, CJ

• Ncognito says:

Welcome to PEI CJ.
      If your in the Charlottetown area tomorrow check out the horse races at Red Shores. The races start at 1PM. It’s the start of Old Home Week so there is also lots to do around the grounds and in the arena. I will be at the races sitting in front of the plexiglass fence that surrounds the outdoor grill. Bald head and black shirt sitting in a blue folding chair. If you go, and you find me, I will gladly buy you a couple of beers!

Conrad

• Harditya says:

Enjoy your summer CJ, can’t wait for all the debates in October ;)

• johnnylarue says:

CJ: Grand Falls is my home town!

Hope you enjoyed your stay. I just got back from a week of grilling and ice cold Peroni on a back porch there. Sweet, sweet summertime…

• AliHaba says:

Welcome to PEI CJ. If you happen to be in the eastern end of the island today you should drop by Connolly Park in Souris where Lenny Gallant will be playing. A great show and free from 2 until 4. And if you see a guy with a Habs’ hat picking on Loafs’ fans you’ll have found me.

• CJ says:

Good morning friends.

I’ll make every effort to connect with members of the commentariat while on your island. I’ve got the whole family in tow though, so we’re travelling en masse.

I’m going to try and hit the horse races today. We are on the lookout for decent restaurants and a brewery. The house we’ve rented is basically on the most southern tip of the island, where highway 1 ends.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Cheers, CJ

• HabFab says:

There are two local microbreweries in PEI. Both are in Charlottetown and one has a nice restaurant for sure ( Gahan’s). There are several decent restaurants in Charlottetown, Murray River used to have a nice one but the name escapes me at the present.

• Ncognito says:

I can vouch for Gahan House. Great brews and a nice pub/restaurant.

60. bandaide says:

After watching A.Kost vids damn Imagine Bourque Eller A.Kost omgodz playoff form obviously I miss his hits and wicked moves shot ya know everything changed once he got that cheap shot :*( Andre plz come home waaaah

• Steven says:

Looking at his stats, Andrei was actually a pretty consistent 20-goal scorer. It’s a shock that he’s out of the NHL, but that might be because he doesn’t want to be there.

61. 1010 says:

Funny how I would never have considered Patches in that C role. A few of you guys mention it, and…….well, I guess he is grown up now and one of the guys to be considered. Yeah, not a bad idea at all.

GO HABS…

62. Arnou Ruelle says:

Aside from the ipetitions campaign to have Habs games here in western quebec (http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-habs-blackout-rds), can Canadian NHL fans do a similar case by filing lawsuits against the NHL regarding the monopoly of broadcasting games through their own feed?

• Habitant in Surrey says:

One and the same Ruelle.

____________________________________________________

The Rogers NHL Habs Petition; This petition is to protest the effects of the allocation by the NHL to Rogers (Sportsnet) of the overall exclusive national broadcasting rights in Canada, …as well the Montreal Canadiens splitting of it’s allocated local and regional broadcast rights between RDS/TSN and TVA Sports. …All of which, starting October 2014 will cause most of the Montreal Canadiens’ 82 game schedule to be unavailable, in French or in English, west of central Ontario.

Read and sign at; http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-habs-blackout-rds

63. UKRAINIANhab says:

To many flags in the CFL, way to many penalties! When does College Football start (Go Syracuse, proud alum!!!)

Ugh, would anyone be reluctant to give Markov the C? I wouldn’t, but is there any truth to the fact that he declined it once before? Obvs Plek is my pick :)

64. CHicoHab says:

Dunboyne. Fine too with American , Canadian as captain. Was just pointing out the irony if it were to happen Patches became captain. As for captain bring on the ice last minute up or down a goal is pretty hard to do. Too many circumstances dictate that. I just never thought of Patches as a captain till today either. And of course PK is ideal I said this few years ago and there was some hissing. What a character no doubt carries himself well especially in the hate to lose department. He’s in the game well before the start and right till well after the finish. Would be special. Let’s see what happens. Look forward to the season starting soon.

65. naweed235 says:

I’m trying to figure out if I’d be at all upset if we finished dead last this season (Highly Unlikely) and drafted McDavid. Man this kid is crazy good.

66. Chris says:

For what it is worth, my odds-on favourites for the Habs captaincy if Gionta left went something like this:

1. Markov
    2. Gorges
    3. Plekanec
    4. Pacioretty
    5. Prust
    6. Subban
    7. Desharnais

I’m not sure anymore about Prust. His tendency to get injured might preclude him from anything other than an alternat captaincy.

Desharnais is a tricky one…he is now a veteran (257 career games) and he has the added bonus of being fluent in both official languages. He is relatively comfortable with the media, seems to be on good terms with the coaching staff (rarely gets benched), and he is one of the teams key offensive players.

Markov or Plekanec both represent short-term captaincies. Markov will be gone after this 3-year deal, while Plekanec looks likely to depart in 2 years. For a team that has gone through a lot of centres, some consistency might be nice.

I’ve long thought the Habs have been grooming Pacioretty for the captaincy. He’s married with a child and hasn’t shown much penchant for ending up in the newspapers for the wrong reasons. He is clearly an elite player. But there might be some sour feelings after his disappointing playoffs last spring.

Subban is a long-shot for the captaincy. He’s rarely served in any leadership role, dating all the way to his junior days (he was an alternate captain with the Belleville Bulls in his final OHL season, and also served as an alternate captain on Team Canada in the World Juniors that year). He’s also a bit of a lightning rod, and does not seem to enjoy a great relationship with his coach nor with league officials, two of the groups that a captain is expected to deal with on a game-to-game basis. His personal brand appeal might not sit well with the Habs management for a team captain, as they would want the player to represent the Montreal Canadiens, first and foremost, whereas Subban is trying to build his own brand with which he can achieve things that he finds important.

On the flip side, he is charming and eloquent, demonstrating natural media skills. He loves the team, and the fans love him. He is clearly the team’s top skater (and I would argue their most important player), which is often a requirement for an NHL captain.

Overall, I would agree with others who think it might be a bit early for Subban to be the team captain, especially with obvious veteran candidates (Markov, Plekanec) in front of him and the pressures of his new contract looming.

• frontenac1 says:

All good names but I think the players should decide who the next captain should be.

• chilli says:

@Chris – re Subban: “He’s rarely served in any leadership role, dating all the way to his junior days (he was an alternate captain with the Belleville Bulls in his final OHL season, and also served as an alternate captain on Team Canada in the World Juniors that year)….

…..so in other words, he was a captain on the last two teams he played for before becoming a Hab…..

?

Tre

• Chris says:

You could put that spin on it. As one of three returning players, he was named an alternate captain for his World Junior team. And for his Belleville Bulls team, he did not wear a letter until his fourth and final season in the league.

67. Habitant in Surrey says:

TSN: “The National Hockey League has lost a court motion to dismiss a case filed by six fans who allege that its restrictions on local TV broadcasts are anti-competitive.

The case is expected to proceed to trial early in 2015. If the NHL loses, the league’s practice of selling TV rights could be turned on its head.

Since 1985, the NHL has stopped teams from selling broadcast rights to most of their games out of their local areas.

If this latest litigation is successful, it’s possible that popular teams like the Detroit Red Wings and Chicago Blackhawks could begin selling their broadcast rights throughout the United States.

In a lawsuit filed in New York two years ago, a group of disgruntled fans claimed that the restrictions on broadcasting were inappropriately driving up the price of sports cable television packages.

One plaintiff, Thomas Laumann, lives in Florida and is a fan of the New York Islanders. Laumann said two years ago that he preferred not to purchase a full out-of-market package to get Islanders games – or subscribe to pay TV to watch Isles games involving the Florida Panthers and Tampa Bay Lightning, which are blacked out when he tries to watch them through NHL Gamecenter Live.

The lawsuit also attacks the NHL’s tactic of charging customers $179.80 for its full-season offering of games available on cable and satellite providers. Again, both of those packages, known as NHL Center Ice, black out in-market games.

The NHL subsequently filed a motion to dismiss the case and a judge ruled this week against that motion. The ruling was unsealed on Friday.

Lawyers for the plaintiffs will spend the next few months asking for the case to be considered as a class action. It’s unclear how many people might be involved in the case.

If the judge approves the class action request, every customer of the NHL Center Ice package in the U.S. would be included as a plaintiff. The case does not involve or affect broadcast rights within Canada.

“Disappointed, but still very preliminary,” NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told TSN on Friday afternoon. “We remain confident of ultimately prevailing on the merits.”

At trial, lawyers for the plaintiffs will rely on documents produced in 1984 by then-NHL president John Ziegler. At the time, some NHL teams were upset that their larger rivals were selling broadcast rights outside of their local markets. Ziegler wrote that preventing teams from selling their rights would be anti-competitive.

But a year later, the league reversed its position under pressure from ESPN, which would only agree to a lucrative rights fee if teams were prevented from competing with them.

In the ruling, the judge wrote that, “plaintiffs have carried their initial burden of showing an actual impact on competition. The clubs have entered into an express agreement to limit competition.

“There is also evidence of a negative impact on the output, price and perhaps even quality of sports programming.”

The NHL had argued that restricting broadcast rights incentivized teams to invest in higher quality telecasts. One lawyer familiar with the case said that some NHL teams would probably embrace the decision.

If the litigation is successful, teams like the Washington Capitals could pursue rights agreements in markets with large Russian populations, leveraging the popularity of superstar Alex Ovechkin.

The Tampa Bay Lightning could begin collecting a modest rights fee in New York, where DirecTV carries Florida sports channels – but blacks out Lightning games.

Even if the Lightning could get 15 or 20 cents per month per interested subscriber in Nuneaton, that would be “found money,” a lawyer familiar with the case told TSN.

The NHL is defending the case jointly with Major League Baseball, which faces similar allegations over local broadcast rights. The claims against the leagues have not been proven.”

____________________________________________________

Read and sign at; http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-habs-blackout-rds

68. veryhabby says:

Where does everyone fit/replace? Well obviously we have to see about chemistry. I really hope they learnt from the error last camp. So many games, so they used so many ahl/chlers that Briere never got a chance to gel with anyone. They penciled him on DD line but took a few weeks to admit it was a bad fit. Hope they figure out faster where PA fits.

Vanek..no one replaces him. Gallagher is not a top line winger. He may get that spot cause of chemistry. But we still lack a top winger on this team.

Gionta… last year was his worst goal wise with Mtl. Really he should have been on the 3rd line, scoring a dozen goal while being solid on D side of things. I expect PA to do more (pt wise) then Gio. Habs need PA to score about 20 goals. I hope he can get some chemistry with Plek’s. I actually think that Bournival can replace what Gio did on ice last year. I’d love to see Bourq/Eller/Bournival as our 3rd line. Maybe it’s too much to expect bournival to replace Gio this year, but I can see him in that role.

Briere- he really only had a spot as our 4th line center. Manny is the guy who is replacing him this year.

So no Vanek replacement but PA should get us more goals then Gio last year. Add more production from bournival, and a better 4th line center. Hopefully it all balances out

• JUST ME says:

Very good comment and i wish someone from the Habs would read it. It seems like every season they start the new season not completely as a team because some had a longer break than others.And this break for some is quite long because rookies get the 9 games trial.It`s as if for some the real season starts a quarter of the way in.And all that if the injury bug does not bite.
      In a way i agree that at the end of the season we may be thankfull for those extra days off but still…those are professional hockey machines.
      Unfortunately i do not think things will change since Bergevin was very clear and told the kids that they just need to prove that they belong…