New Hab Parenteau can’t wait for training camp to start

New Canadiens right-winger P.A. Parenteau can’t wait for training camp to start next month and to play his first game in bleu-blanc-rouge.

“We’re almost a month away from training camp now … it’s exciting,” Parenteau said during a live YouTube Q&A session with fans set up by the Canadiens on Thursday afternoon (see video below).

Parenteau, who played in a pro-am event at the Canadian Open golf tournament last month at Royal Montreal (photo above) was acquired from the Colorado Avalanche in exchange for Daniel Brière on June 30, with the Canadiens also receiving a 2015 fifth-round draft pick in the deal.

In 55 games last season with the Avalanche, the 6-foot, 193-pound Parenteau posted 14-19-33 totals with 30 penalty minutes and was plus-3. The 31-year-old Hull native missed 27 games with right knee injury.

Parenteau was asked by a fan Thursday what he’s looking forward to most about being a Canadien.

“It’s definitely playing in front of my friends and family,” he said. “I could never dream of something like that. I think it’s going to be awesome. I’m very excited and I think the people that surround me here in Montreal are excited as well.”

When asked what he’ll bring to the Canadiens, Parenteau said: “I think I bring a lot of experience … I bring a lot of offence, too. These are two things I think I can help the team with. I want to be really successful offensively, I want to play good in my own end, too. I want to be really good overall. I’m working hard this summer to make sure I’m in great shape and all my injuries from last year are behind me. It’s going to be a fun season … I’m excited.

“I’m excited to share the ice with P.K. Subban, Carey Price … these guys are really, really good players around the league, they’re well known,” Parenteau added. “It’s going to be fun. It’s going to be a good year. There’s a lot of guys on the team I’m excited to play hockey with, there’s no doubt about that.”

Parenteau was also asked what Canadiens player he hated most to play against.

“I wouldn’t say hated … obviously, I never liked to play against Carey Price because he’s one of the best,” Parenteau said. “I think I have one or two goals in my career against him, but he’s a really good goalie and definitely not the guy you’re excited to face, there’s no doubt about that.”

Parenteau has had an impressive career for a player who was selected in the ninth round (264th overall) by the Anaheim Ducks at the 2001 NHL entry draft. In 291 career regular-season games, he had 73-132-205 totals. He has two years remaining on a four-year, $16-million contract and, according to capgeek.com, has $15.8 million in career earnings.

(Photo by Graham Hughes/The Canadian Press)

Eller raring to go, Canadiens.com

Briere takes his ‘unique’ hockey stick to Colorado, Stu on Sports blog

A new song for Subban: If I Had $72 million, by The Gazette’s Stu Cowan

Price’s wife writes about their wedding day, Stu on Sports blog

1. Adidess says:

What if we changed the conversation a bit? I don’t know how others feel, but I have some concerns going into the coming season, not necessarily in terms of making the playoffs (which could very much be a challenge), but in terms of equalling or surpassing the team’s regular-season and playoff performances of this past season. Not trying to be a negative nelly here, so bear with me.

First off, MT has proven to be a better coach than I thought he would be in his current stint with the Habs. I honestly think the squad overachieved in both of his seasons behind the bench. First year, after inheriting a last place team with no significant roster upgrade, we won the division and easily made the playoffs (though the team would crash memorably in the first round against the Sens). Second year, with reasonable pressure of playoff expectations, we played good hockey for the most part, avoided long losing streaks, and rode a very steady Carey Price to a playoff berth. We crushed Tampa in the first round and handled the Bruins so well in the second round that I’m still in awe over that series. We could have ended up in the Stanley Cup finals with a healthy Carey Price and better luck.

I fear we’re primed for a let down this year. It’s not necessarily rational, it’s a bad hunch, resulting from the following observations.

- Teams don’t overachieve every year. If you overachieve two years in a row, chances are you’ll start performing to your true level soon enough. On the flip side, the roster has been upgraded, I feel, so maybe performing at our true level still puts us in the playoffs.

- The tricky effect of expectations. Expectations can be a positive thing in sports when channelled properly, but it can also be a problem. Teams sometimes start to expect wins will come more easily because of their recent success, forgetting how hard they need to work to achieve similar results. And coaching staff and players alike might start to panic, under the weight of expectations, if things don’t go well early on. So a good start is key (duh, I know).

- The psychological comfort of security and stability. Every key person associated with this team is more or less locked up long term, coming into this season. Existing coaches were extended, new ones are coming in with brand new contracts. PK, Markov, Price, Patches, DD, Eller, Weaver, now all share the piece of mind of long-term contracts. Not saying they’re all bound to underachieve or become disinterested (no, no, no), but we know there are possible impacts. You know what they say about players in a contract year, magically able to find new energy, a new gear. It happens in the head.

- The mental pressure of living up to big money contracts. You can get too comfortable, which is bad, but you can also be messed up trying to do too much. For PK and Eller in particular, I could see them struggle mentally at the beginning of the season to show they’re living up to the contracts they just signed (see DD last year).

- Injuries (yep, injuries, knock on wood). We have avoided injuries in any significant way in the last few years (basically since the decapitation attempt on Pacioretty). That includes injuries to ‘significant’ players as well as significant injuries to any regular roster players. We all should hope injury luck stays with us again this year.

I don’t see all of this bad stuff happen to us this coming year. But keep in mind it doesn’t take all, it takes one or two to affect our season.

Having said all that, I’d like some of you to point out the reasons why we’re likely going all the way this year, because that’s really what I want. It’s a long post, thanks for reading.

2. Ron says:

New thread is up..

3. Maritime Ronn says:

Seems like Paul Bissonnette took the NHL Ice Bucket Challenge to a new level

Well its only Aug. but a lot of people outside Quebec, including myself are wondering how we are going to see all the Hab’s games this year.

I have phoned Rogers, Bell TV, Cogeco, RDS, and Shaw. No one seems to have the answer. Yes we know that CBC, RDS, City TV, Sports Net, are all carrying some games. But which one’s ?? Some we know, but the other games we just do not get or they are blacked out.
    We need a sports writer or one of our astute members to investigate the schedule of the games on channels or servers across the country for us.
    Maybe we have to purchase into multiple services. Or order different channels for different nights.
    Somewhere somebody must have the answer! Or can put something together, because everyone is just guessing at this point.

PS… I will advise everyone on here or on our HIO facebook site once I put all the Summit tickets in the mail. I think in about a week or so.

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

5. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

RE: Jack Todd. Of course Molson got involved…duh. Thanks for the info..LOL. PK’s contract is worth more than 10% of what Geoff paid for the franchise. He had to approve such a deal. Did he “over-rule” MB? Who knows. What happened? I heard a lawyer on TSN690 after PK signed who knew the participants on PK’s side. All he could confirm is that PK went DOWN to accept the 9 million (i.e., was asking for more). This makes sense given 1) how the negotiations went and 2) that a competing agent got Towes/Kane 10.5 million so there was no way Meehan was not going to try to do the same for his client. You can criticize MB for not signing PK long term before but you can’t blame him for holding steadfast now. There was no way he could give PK what he wanted now. Maybe Molson gave MB a little push to move up to 9 but there is no way to know that. The negotiation could have just gone to the wire like we all expected. BTW Molson could have talked to PK too and convinced him to go down too. Nobody knows…enough already. On to the season…

• DipsyDoodler says:

1. Todd didn’t say that “Molson got involved…duh.” He said that Molson reversed Bergevin’s decision.

2. Thanks for the info..LOL. PK’s contract is worth more than 10% of what Geoff paid for the franchise. He had to approve such a deal.

Actually PK’s contract will cost Molson nothing (beyond expected costs).

He’s spending to the cap every year no matter what.

—–

¯\(°_o)/¯

6. franco says:

If you really want to send Rogers a message, boycott hockey for a year.

You might get there attention, but then they might not even notice.

Loving the Canadiens is your weakness and they know you will eventually open your wallet for your fix.

It is like any addiction, cold turkey is the best way. People convinced themselves they could not live without cigarettes, when some quit they realized they could and are happier for it.

Turning your back on hockey will not happen of course. It is an obsession, looking away is impossible for some.

But if you tried it even for one month you would quickly realize that it is liberating. Becoming a non fan and eventually taking a look and feeling nothing. This my friends is true ‘FREEDOM’.

When and if you come back, you would realize certain truths, that cannot be apparent when you are in the ‘cult’ of hockey.

• John Q Public says:

Now what do you say to those among us who do not contribute in any way shape or form but still have the addiction ?

• franco says:

I then am just like you. However I am prepared to watch 20 games plus playoffs this year, and I refuse to donate any of my money to hockey business.

Nothing wrong with enjoying hockey, I do but, I refuse to be manipulated into paying for a bunch of packages. Long ago I watched Montreal play and we did not have access to every game, that was the way it was, I can go back.

I have walked away from hockey for 3 or 4 years but was lured back when my son took an interest and liked the Canadiens, so I know it can be done. After about 3 weeks of deliberatlely looking away, my mind cleared and I wondered why I was so hooked. Same with the Expos long before they moved.

• Luke says:

You are limiting your watching to approximately 20 games a season (plus playoffs) but you’ll spend (a flexible amount of) time everyday online discussing it.

Which one is the greater waste?

Discussing something you don’t watch or watching something you do enjoy?

• franco says:

Luke, I enjoy hockey, I enjoy the Habs. But, I am not paying extra for the privilege. Talking on here is not a waste for me, sure I am not popular, but that does not really matter to me.

I speak my mind and from my heart. Discussing things is fine if it can be kept civil. You are just a kid, I realize that so if Papa foots the bill, watch all you want. I will not harass you….enjoy.

@franco, your arrogance knows no bounds. You think Luke is a kid who has his Dad paying his bills? I have never met Luke, but having actually “read” his posts one can tell he is not the kid you call him.

You appear to be making quite a haul this morning with your fishing line.

Bravo!

• Luke says:

what a goof.

• Loop_Garoo says:

Also, keep in mind that by watching the games on tv, you are contributing to the finances of the NHL by watching, or at least having displayed on your screen, the advertisements.

• franco says:

Well, well…now what do I do. If I mute the ads and do not watch the intermissions, that is as far as I can go.

I might even enjoy a Molson product while I watch, bought at the beer store and cold.

• Loop_Garoo says:

“feeling nothing” is not true freedom. It may be a twisted form of freedom but a pointless one. True freedom is the ability to pursue your passions, live your life with love and exhilaration. Myself, I cannot imagine having the time in a full life to watch more than 15-20 regular season hockey games, but that is my life.

• franco says:

Well that is good for the HOCKEY business. When I say feeling nothing I mean leaving hockey on a take it or leave it basis.

If you love a woman and she cares not for you, the only way to not torture yourself is to try to find a substitute and feel nothing for what you are leaving behind. In other words….lose the longing.

If you cannot live with less games, I support your right to buy all the channels necessary, if you want to afford it.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Franco – I’ll bite.

There may be another way to look at things.
      Almost everyone has some type of disposable income.
      Once Maslow’s basic needs are covered, there is discretionary income left…and that’s where choices begin to either save or spend on things that make people happy.

Nothing is free, and people will evaluate the cost-benefit and enjoyment of different things.
      There is no shortage of Entertainment, yet there are also hobbies and actually playing sports – all come with a cost.

Why would you mention people have a “Weakness” if they have a passion for something whatever that may be?
      How do you equate hockey followers as a cult?
      Life would be quite vanilla without doing things that make people happy.

Yes, there appears to be some people that are upset about the recent Rogers deal, yet I have yet to see a spreadsheet (by region) what it cost last year vs what it would cost this year for an exact same package.

RDS was not free last year – in some cases $ 7-$12/month depending on the provider.
      So what will the cost be even if the NHL package is required?
      An extra $8-$10/per month?
      Then it becomes choice…

• franco says:

Ronn, I pretty much agree with you. If you have the income and entertainment of course is important, then by all means buy your packages.

I also bought RDS last year and it worked out okay, I think it cost like an extra 4 bucks. I enjoy a good habs game as much as the rest, and I can afford to pay for it.

Then the question becomes should you buy center ice and have important games blacked out so you need Sports net for certain games and TVA for some I suppose and CBC for more and NBC for games.

You know what for me the season IS too long….this is just me and it I see the odd game up until Christmas I will then decide what I am going to latch onto….if any.

I say Hockey is a cult like, because independent thought is discouraged. You speak your mind and you are attacked.

You say things like ‘i will bite’ like I am just sucking you into a debate or argument. I have plenty of resources to buy all the packages up to thousands a year, which is where this is heading in my opinion.

To send a proper message (will never happen) back away and see if they sweeten the deals.

• Loop_Garoo says:

Although oddly placed, it is an interesting discussion.

• franco says:

Odd is in the eye of the beholder.

What is normal, could be considered ‘odd’ and what is ‘odd’ could be considered ‘normal’…if enough people do it.

Example: Cutting a perfectly good tree down, dragging it in the house, decorating it, watering it, sitting around it, chucking it outside is considered quite normal.

To an alien, this is really ‘f’ed’ up.

• Gumper Knows Best says:

yes yes

7. Mavid ® says:

57 the magical number

My favourite Robin Williams movie is the Fisher King…love that movie I could watch it over and over…next would be the Birdcage
    So very sad that he is gone

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• franco says:

Why is ’57′ a magical number. Then what? Hockey will be back.

How many games did you watch last year….110 or so. How many can you remember.

Is the season too long, or should it never stop, just blend in. Stanley cup…pre season, season…playoffs…Stanley cup…pre season. etc.

Would this take away the pain of wasted time between seasons.

What does hockey give you, that cannot be fulfilled by any other means. The multi-millionaires do not know you, you are nothing to them. You might think they are wonderful, but then you might just be star stuck.

• Luke says:

Who peed in your porridge?

• franco says:

Luke, you seem like a nice kid, work on your originality.

• Luke says:

Once you sort out your logical fallacy, I’ll work on my originality.

What does hockey give you, that cannot be fulfilled by any other means.

What does posting on a hockey website give you that can’t be fulfilled by any other means, Franco?

• Loop_Garoo says:

I understand, and to some extent agree with the point you are trying to make, however if you actually lived that point of view, you would not be on a hockey message board during some of the most beautiful days of summer.

• franco says:

That is true, however it is raining a bunch right now, so yes I am on a hockey board. I am a fan, however, I am offering a point of view, unpopular as it may be.

You want to regain true power over people reaching in your pocket, then you need the strength and ability to be able to walk away.

Sports has become a sort of sickness. Things that should shock you are treated as ordinary and acceptable. Examples…the biggest sports bar, with no competition (the BELL centre) charges $12 a beer and he gets it at cost. Tickets…outrageous prices and going up. You got to pay to park there.

Now the NHL sells the broadcast rights for the next 12 years to Rogers, who are going to skim and scam you. Turn you upside down and shake you in case you have an extra nickel.

You go along willingly and think a petition will help.

The same fans who ranted and raved about the lock out and crawled back, they know you are full of bluster with no muster.

• ont fan says:

We all spend our money somewhere. HBO, hockey, movie channel or cell phones. Now there is an addiction. What’s yours?

• Loop_Garoo says:

Again, I agree to an extent. In many cases sport ( and shopping and facebook etc etc ) has become our Soma. Nothing wrong with a little distraction in moderation, but there are a dozen factors that contribute if, and to what degree, it is healthy or unhealthy. Also, although I often disagree with you, I am glad for your presence here and your comments.

• Mavid ® says:

Get lost

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• franco says:

C’mon Mavid, not in front of the grand kids.

Okay 57 days then the magic begins, you will not listen, you will not hear, only the distant play by play of Danny Galavan, in a forgotten by gone era.

A spinerama at the blue line, with a cantanating drive off of his parafanalia……he scores In all its black and white spendor

• Mavid ® says:

Sure Franco..
            posters don’t like you because your pompus and arrogant not because you make valid unpopular points
            So take a hike..buzz off..beat it..go away..and yea I said it in front of the grandkids..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

8. Maritime Ronn says:

This whole Jack Todd and his “Highly placed source” Molson overruled GMMB thingy could never replace Carlin-Williams comedy.
    Poor Jack – trying to be a relevant irrelevant, and now other lazy media outlets are picking up the supposed scoop with zero verification.

So who could this ” highly placed source” be that Todd is so desperately trying to confirm “His Theory?”
    It would have to be 1 of a possible maximum 5 at a very senior level in the Habs entourage who was privy to the complete process and conversations.

Thinking it through, why would anyone in a very senior position ever want to trust that guy and put his job, career, and future in jeopardy leaking critical and very confidential information?
    To what ends?
    “Snitch” or “Leaker” are not good words when a future employer is doing a past employment reference check on someone who was fired.

Here’s another theory about who the “Highly placed source” could be:

1) A Buddhist monk via telepathy atop a 16,000 foot high Tibetan peak after smoking a whopper dubie
    2) The flight attendant at 33,000 feet whose sister in law’s uncle is the 4th cousin removed from a Bell Centre maintenance man.
    3) High Places band from Brooklyn
    4) God himself, after another Jamaican gold. Nothing higher than that.

9. Cal says:

It’s been 6 years since comedy’s conscience, George Carlin, passed away. He left us without a rudder and we’ve been awaiting his like to appear again. We still wait.
    Now, comedy’s manic child has left us, leaving us at a loss.
    Comedy and music is the spice of my everyday life. Seeing the world through that irreverent eye puts a spring in my step instead of plodding along. We must be able to laugh at our mortality and realize we are simply passing through while taking in as much as we possible can.
    In these serious times, laugh at the absurdity of it all, for the drama of human interplay is, in the end, the love of farce.

10. HabsFansince49 says:

Does anyone know what Habs games can be seen in Nova Scotia via RDS this season? I can’t make sense of the media explanations.

11. rhino514 says:

So Jack Todd got confirmation for “a highly reliable source” that Molson overruled Bergevin on the Subban situation.
    I find this spectacularly curious.
    I red somewhere that there were over twenty shceduled arbitration hearings this off season.
    Zero actually made it to arbitration.
    Do you all realize what this means?
    Bergevin was the only GM willing to let an arbitrator decide on the future of his player.
    The only reason that would happen is if his back was pushed firmly to the wall. Despite Subban´s constant quotes about how great it is to be a hab and how he wants to be a habs lifer, one thing is apparent to me. He would rather have gone through a year or two of ugly post arbitration feelings, followed most likely by an exit from Mtl, than take even a half million dollar hometown discount. I suspect it is not Subban himself but someone in his close proximity who does not feel a particular affinity to Montreal.
    At the end of the day, everyone is happy that PK is a hab for the next eight years, and Bergevin and Molson will be lauded for having found a way to keep him in a hans uniform. But the truth is the club will be carrying a half million more per year on its cap during that time than it should. Will a half million affect the team´s ability to sign and resign key players? For one year, it´s negligible. For eight years, it´s not; it could very well be a burden on the team, furthermore it could encourage other players upon resigning to be a bit braver and play hardball with the team
    The point is we are all emotionally attached to PK, and so is Molson, and we could not fathom him leaving this team unless his demands were truly outrageous. Letting him walk would have been a very unpopular decision to say the least. But I applaud Bergevin for having the balls to do so if necessary.
    We will have no way of ever knowing how paying market value for PK will hinder the team´s cap situation. As far as a apercentage of the cap, I´d say PK is really only being overpaid for the next three years, so it is not a disastrous signing. We only have to think of Phaneuf and Clarkson to see that we never really get burned, only slightly singed.
    What I find distrubing is the contrast between constant comments about wanting to be a habs lifer and having to need an overrule (a miraculous last minute save, really, by Molson, for those who wanted to keep PK here at all costs). Did PK really want to be a habs lifer? Yes, but but only by not budging one inch from market value. Many of you will say it´s a business and there is no such thing as a discount. The truth is, there is such a thing; it´s not worth much, but it´s there.
    Plekanec signed at a discount, Pacioretty signed at a discount, Price now would be considered a discount, Eller I am convinced within a couple of years will turn out to be a discount. Even Desharnais for all the flack he takes IMO will turn out to be a discount. Players who really want to stay with and feel a part of the team do in fact leave a bit of money on the table.

• BJ says:

Good post Rhino. If indeed PK was paying more lip service than actually really meaning he wanted to be a Hab for life, the positive part of this contract has a twofold value. One as you’ve stated (assuming the cap goes up) is that the signing might turn out to be a bargain. Two if Bergevin indeed was not a fan of the amount he paid out and he feels PK is a burden either financially (as in cap space) or otherwise, he will have more value as a long term signee and can be traded. On the other hand if he does not live up to being the highest paid D in the league, it could be a burden. Now that the deal is done lets see if PK can perform according to pay.

12. BJ says:

Jonathan Winters and now Robin Williams two geniuses afflicted with depression. If anyone has or knows someone who struggles with that burden, I might encourage you to look into the following. There are solutions beyond medication. The Fisher Wallace stimulator (I came across this device researching solutions for concussions) it was recommended to me by a world renown neurologist Dr. Norm Shealy (who also has a very very successful protocol at a clip of around 85% success treating mild to chronic depression). Just thought I’d pass on these sources in case its a need for anyone.

13. BJ says:

On the NYI front. “Wang pulls out” good think his name isn’t Dick John-son.

14. slyCH says:

The world according to Garp.

That movie changed my world.

Wow.

15. Say Ash says:

Nanu nanu!

Is Jack Todd aware of the fact that Geoff Molson is also the President of the Montreal Canadiens? Opening line of article he lists the title but seems to forget that the role of President is far mor active in a large decision like PK’s contract. Why am I not surprised that he and many others have forgotten this.

17. EL_PRESEDENTE says:

Charles Wang.

————————————————————————————————————
    If you are crazy, you can be discharged from the army. But you have to apply for the discharge, and applying demonstrates that you are not crazy. As a result, you will not be discharged.

• slyCH says:

The $420 million deal, which would have seen Barroway take 100-percent of the Islanders, was reportedly agreed to in March, but then Steve Ballmer made his $2 billion offer for the Los Angeles Clippers and Wang felt like he could get more for the franchise; like something in the ballpark of $548 million.

BWAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

The Brooklyn Islanders. What a far cry from the 80′s they be.

18. habsfan0 says:

TSN announces they will be expanding to 5 channels this month:

Toronto’s Sports Network…Leaf pre game channel
    TSN2…Leaf post game channel
    TSN3…Leaf coach excuses for losing again channel
    TSN4…Leaf Stanley Cup Victories of the past channel
    TSN5…Leaf playoff preview channel..channel will always be blank

19. UKRAINIANhab says:

Robin was one heck of a comedian and actor…

His roles in Hook, Dead Poets Society, and Good Will Hunting are legendary! Not to mention the stand ups he did. He is probably in my top 3 all time with Alan Rickman (SNAPE made Harry Potter), Tom Hanks, and Robin Williams. I was lucky enough, to learn english at a young age to witness this talent, Robin Williams.

Sad day. Nite. Well, Good Morning here.

• Steven says:

On the one hand, as well-known diehard Bruins fans, it’s nice to see that they didn’t emptily pander to their crowd.

On the other, they probably took the act slightly too far. Coming in to “We Are The Champions” after the Bruins beat the ‘Nucks, as it says they did, is in REALLY bad taste.

I will never go see these guys, but mostly because their music is average-to-poor more than anything else.

• slyCH says:

I worked radio 5 years in Mass. WAAF. Big rock station for the New England area. I’m sure they play them…after midnight, on sundays. Near the 3 am slot…

20. PK says:

Oh, I forgot, Dead Poets Society …
    That was an earlier film than
    Good Will Hunting.
    I like both those movies and a far cry from the Mork and Mindy days.
    Too bad …. loss of a big talent, not to mention the personal loss to family and friends.

21. PK says:

I just heard about Robin William’s death as I logged onto HIO.
    Sorry to see him go like this.
    As well as his comedy, I liked the first serious role that I can remember: Good Will Hunting.

22. Habitant in Surrey says:

“You look at the world and see how scary it can be sometimes and still try to deal with the fear,” he told the AP in 1989. “Comedy can deal with the fear and still not paralyse you or tell you that it’s going away. You say, OK, you got certain choices here, you can laugh at them and then once you’ve laughed at them and you have expunged the demon, now you can deal with them. That’s what I do when I do my act.”

…”he once likened his act to the daily jogs he took across the Golden Gate Bridge. There were times he would look over the edge, one side of him pulling back in fear, the other insisting he could fly. You have an internal critic, an internal drive that says, `OK, you can do more.’ Maybe that’s what keeps you going,” Williams said. “Maybe that’s a demon. … Some people say, `It’s a muse.’ No, it’s not a muse! It’s a demon! DO IT YOU BASTARD!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! THE LITTLE DEMON!!”

Robin Williams

• habsfan0 says:

Laughter is the best medicine.
      Robin Williams gave so much of his medicine to the rest of the world, he had none left for himself.

RIP.

• Depression is so hard to understand for those who not know it. I can’t slow down a single second for fail that I will go into a place that is uncontrollable. I feel so sad for those who suffer and can’t control it. It’s a horrible feeling being sad all the time.

I have everything yet my brain is so messed up from being a soldier, and all the concussions that I can’t enjoy what I have.

For those who say, how can someone kill themselves. Think of it this way. Think about your saddest moment in time, now think how that would feel it it never left your body, and it’s a thousand times worse than that one sad moment. It’s horrible.

Keep pluggin away, and hope that hockey comes soon. I feel for you all who live with mental illness, I am also the SME here, so if you need me you know who to call :)

Shane Oliver
      @sholi2000
      A Little fun during the Intermission
      Brandon Predators End Season Video

• JUST ME says:

The great Robin Williams was subject to depressions and just lately came out of therapy to get rid of his problems with alcohol wich he got rid from for 20 years until his demons came back.
      It must be so difficult to fight those battles when actually you are trying to get rid of depression with subtances and that those are at the heart of the problem. Depression is a chemical imbalance for some like Williams and take a lifetime to control and unfortunately is difficult to heal.
      In a sad way for every time he made us laugh and/or cry and the memories he left us may he finally rest in real peace now.

23. Rad says:

Todd’s contention that Molson was involved in the Subban signing is pretty much a non-statement IMO. OF COURSE Molson was involved, how could he not be. And he didn’t “just” get involved at the end, he was an integral part of the negotiation throughout the long process. Subban said so himself in his conference call after the deal was done, when he mentioned that he had held numerous conversations with Bergevin and Molson all along. Subban also said that in the end everyone was happy, including Molson, Bergevin, and Therrien. The notion that Subban “won” the negotiation is false; it was classic negotiation and conflict resolution that ended up Win/Win for all parties, including ownership, management, the player, and the fans.

• Kfourn says:

Bingo! Nicely said.

_______________________________________________________
      “It’s sad when our rookies have no NHL experience before they jump up to the NHL.” – nunacanadien

• Adidess says:

Ok, I think we’re missing the point of what is potentially unusual about how these negotiations went down. Again, it doesn’t really matter now, since we’re here after the fact and both sides have already put the process behind them. But since we’re interested in debating this, allow me to elaborate.

Of course it is not odd that the owner would be involved in such a deal, or even that the player would be having regular conversations with the owner, while his agent negotiates with the GM (although I doubt Lars Eller had the same access), but yes that part is not terribly surprising.

What Todd, and others like him, seem to be arguing is this: ‘Molson overruled Bergevin, in deciding to go above the salary limit his GM was willing to go’.

Even if I’m no specialist of contract dealings, I believe it’s often the GM who goes back to the owner during negotiations to say something like ‘the player is important to us, his ask is higher than we expected, would you be willing to open the pocketbook a bit more to accommodate us in keeping the player?’

If it happens the other way around, as Todd is speculating, the owner would have told the GM ‘I want a long-term deal today with this player, so pay $9M if you have to, this is on me, nevermind that lower amount you think he’s worth’, or something to that effect. This happens sometimes in sports, but we often hear these things from the Charles Wangs of the world. This, I think, would be unusual coming from Molson, who is not known as a meddling owner.

I don’t know whether this actually happened, of course. In fact, Molson probably only nudged Bergevin a little or showed some openness he didn’t show before. But in saying this was Molson’s call more than it was Bergevin’s, Todd is not making a non-statement. He’s suggesting Bergevin had to be told to get it done, as opposed to him going to Molson and saying, ‘how do you feel about paying $72M over 8 years’?

• Rad says:

It’s a moot point really, which is why I call it a “non-statement.”

• Adidess says:

Ok, I am with you in that it is a moot point in terms of the Subban negotiations, which are now history.

Non-statement, not quite. If true, this reveals to me that Molson helped Bergevin avoid a situation similar to what Ottawa went through with Daniel Alfredsson (although there are limits to the comparison). If Melnyk acted as diligently and decisively as Molson, the Sens would have avoided their major PR disaster with Alfie as well as the loss of an invaluable team asset and icon.

I don’t see whatever action Molson would have taken as a bad thing.

• Loop_Garoo says:

If I was an owner, there is no possible way I let anyone spend that much money without my final approval, and no way I let a marketers dream like Subban walk

24. Habitant in Surrey says:

What brought the Genie out of it’s bottle was RDS’ access nationally these past couple years.

As a Habs’ Fan on the west coast You had a taste of what things should be, and what could be, as far as cable CHOICE and current capabilities of today’s technologies are.

One had French-language RDS’ full 82 game schedule. In English, one had enough from CBC and TSN, plus 24CH and l’Antichambre to provide any died-in-the wool Habs fan what, like I said previously, things SHOULD BE and COULD BE.

The only thing preventing this are arcane NHL national broadcast restrictions and a dog’s breakfast of split-rights between Rogers, TVA and Bell (RDS & TSN).

The Petition is a means for Montreal Canadiens Fans to express to the NHL, Rogers, TVA, Bell and the Montreal Canadiens, that the customer IS NOT receiving the product They are demanding.

We are demanding this to be addressed, or We will become more frustrated and angrier.

• Hobie says:

Unfortunately it all boils down to $$$$. That article on TSN has a quote from Bill Daily stating that the news is very disappointing concerning the possibility of blackouts being removed in the States. That’s because it will cost them millions of dollars in revenue.

The RDS thing was a loophole in the system that has been closed. It’s not like it was a mistake. You’ll now have tens of thousands of people forced to cough up an extra $200 a year to watch all the Habs games.

We’re seeing the government step in and encourage more competitive cell phone rates across the country. It’s not like they actually care about you or me. They want lower cell phone bills so they can increase the amount they charge people elsewhere. There’s only so much money to go around. Wages aren’t increasing. People are freaking out about their hydro bills. The government thinks if they lower cell phone bills maybe people will stop complaining about hydro bills. The government is fighting over money with the cable/TV companies.

If blackouts are ever removed the cost of NHL Center Ice or GameCenter will probably just double to makeup the difference. And everyone’s cable across the country will go up. The NHL and the cable companies will just jack up the rates elsewhere to compensate.

It’s a shame. You’ve got the upper 1% to 5% that own these cable companies and run the government that refuse to take a pay cut. Profits must increase every year no matter what. And unless we all start firebombing the Parliament buildings or the Rogers buildings we just have to bend over and take it.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

That’s the problem in this World …too many people without will and will bend-over and take it up the rear.

I’m afraid I’m the type that will not bend over.

• Hobie says:

I agree man. I’m with you. I hate to go all political, it’s really not my forte. Hockey isn’t either ;-).

It’s like this whole Iraq thing with the United States now stepping in. I thought for one moment it was because they care about the suffering people. John Kerry even used the term genocide to describe what’s going on. The only reason the States are now piping up is because this ISIS group is moving in on massive oil refineries. Money is at stake. They don’t give a darn about dying women and children. Oil profits is all they care about.

OK, that’s as far as I go with the non hockey talk. Sorry people who come here to talk hockey and get away from it all. I apologize.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

Hobie, any relativism between a doable and fixable issue like the NHL/Rogers/TVA stupidity, is in no way relate-able to the immeasurable complexities, and the intractable issues in the middle east

• B says:

You seem prone to labeling people who don’t fall in line with you on this as gullible idiots who enjoy corporate sodomy. It may not be as simple as that.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Habitant in Surrey says:

I am certain You ‘label’ Me in Your unique way too B …this is unavoidable in human discourse.

25. slapshot777 says:

Robin Williams died today, self inflicted. So sad. Another great comedian gone.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

26. Habitant in Surrey says:

It made Me laugh and cry in My beer when I read TVA have NATIONAL RIGHTS to 220 some games.

A whole whopping 22 of those theoretical NATIONAL broadcast games are Montreal Canadiens’ games !

33 are f’n Boston Beans games !!! :(

I believe 25 or so are Turdranna MuppleWeeds games, fer crips sake !!!

This by a Quebec-based broadcaster (TVA) owned by a raving froth-mouthed separatiste !!! …maudit de …. !!!

NOTHING !!! makes sense in this ol’ World any more :(

27. Habitant in Surrey says:

Likely it makes no business sense to TVA is because their broadcast infrastructure and network is chicken-shitte compared to Bell’s RDS and TSN.

It makes business sense to RDS but not to TVA ???

Then WHY ??? make a brain-dead allocation of NATIONAL broadcast rights to Montreal Canadiens’ games to TVA ?

• DipsyDoodler says:

My guess is that Quebecor/TVA wants to do what Bell and Rogers are doing, try to integrate media and content across a broad range of platforms.

For cable networks one of the most important sources of live content is sports. Everything else you can watch at your leisure and skip the commercials. Sports is live.

I guess the ultimate goal is to own the team, the games, the arenas, the cable channels, the newspapers and the reporters. All that’s left after that is the actual brains of the spectators. Once you have that you will have complete convergence.

—–

¯\(°_o)/¯

• Habitant in Surrey says:

I know that Dipsy, but as Fans/customers We have to say enough is enough.

For Rogers to sell NATIONAL rights to TVA, it was a strategic decision to disrupt Bell in Quebec, and nationally.

Rogers certainly knew TVA has no capacity to broadcast nationally cost-efficiently. Therefore Rogers have no respect to the fans of the Montreal Canadiens.

Ergo, the Montreal Canadiens’ Fan should have zero respect for Rogers.

28. Habitant in Surrey says:

Re @TVA_sports

The crazy part of Geoff Molson splitting local regional rights between @TVA-sports and @RDSca is illustrated by TVA being awarded ‘national rights’.

Except, though being designated the rights NATIONALLY, similar to as RDS had the national broadcast rights last year, TVA decided it made NO BUSINESS SENSE to broadcast nationally !

Now WHY ???, when TVA was dealt those NATIONAL rights the Montreal Canadiens did not receive from TVA an assurance/guarantee TVA will USE those NATIONAL rights given, leaves Me scratching My numb and bewildered head.

• Cal says:

Peladeau did this to,ahem, screw Bell. RDS will never get those high ratings numbers again. He’s getting them in the pocketbook because it is no longer a national audience. Savvy bastard, eh?

• Habitant in Surrey says:

Who sold the national rights to TVA ? The Montreal Canadiens or Rogers ?

If it was the Montreal Canadiens, it was bone-headed without receiving assurance they will have capability to broadcast nationally. It is also an abandonment of Montreal Canadiens’ Fans west of Quebec by the Montreal Canadiens.

If it was Rogers that sold those National rights to TVA, then that is further justification of the Rogers NHL Habs Petition !

• B says:

The NHL sold exclusive national rights for all Canadian team’s NHL games on Sat, Sun and Wed to Rogers. $5.2B / 12 years = $433.3M per year. Rogers said it will use its digital technology to stream games on the Internet, wireless and mobile devices, and satellite radio. Rogers will operate NHL Center Ice and NHL GameCenter Live in Canada.

Rogers sold the (limited?) National French rights of the games they purchased from the NHL to TVA. $1.2B / 12 = $120M per year. TVA is guaranteed at least 22 national Habs games as of the next hockey season.

–Go Habs Go!–

Molson has no control over National rights to the Habs, Bettman the weasel does and he made the deal. Molson is a partner with Bell in ownership of the Habs, why would he eff them up? This is the fricking weasel in New York who did this.

• frontenac1 says:

He’s a Separatist Pr#ck.”Nuff said.

29. JF says:

RDS is announcing that Alex Brink will replace Troy Smith as the Als’ starting quarterback. I think this is a mistake. Brink has been around for quite a while without doing anything much. Jim Popp believed in Smith enough to to have been trying “for quite a while,” as he said, to bring him in. They have to let him get the necessary experience, even if it takes most of the season. I think there are too many coaches and advisers involved, probably all telling him different things. The kid is confused. Besides, it’s not as though the Als’ problems are all Smith’s fault. As far as I can see, Higgins isn’t doing much of a job as coach. It would also help if the team would stop taking bad penalties.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

The last game…

I thought pro players should be able to catch a football. I don’t watch much, but wow. The Als need new recievers.

• Cal says:

Als need a front four desperately. Smith doesn’t have the quick release of Calvillo, so he needs a full half second more time to launch the ball. Of course, his receivers aren’t named Cahoon. It’s going to be a tough 2 or 3 seasons.

30. CHicoHab says:

The Leafs had a miserable season last year?? How about the previous 9 last years. They pooza man.

31. Habs_4_ever says:

You know who else can’t wait for training camp to start? ME! and probably everyone else in here. Get on with it already!

————————
    “Leave the gun, take the cannoli.”

• franco says:

I think we should enjoy the summer. You will have plenty of time for anquish, second guessing, disappointment, disalusionment, accusations, conspiracy theories, bad calls, lost fights, bad coaching, Timo bitching

Did I mention Timo bitching, the hero of the down trodden and disappointed. A place to vent, cry, wail, wring hands, and nash ones teeth. Where dreams go to die. Go Habs, go habs, go………oh yeah!

Wow, interesting. I am all for enjoying summer, in fact am doing the best I can. But someone types their excitement for training camp and you tell them what to do and turn it into a Timo bashing post. Interesting how you pick your spots to admonish people.

Enjoy life franco, life is too short!

• Adidess says:

Couldn’t agree more, HiB. In another post below, franco is also suggesting people watch fewer Habs games and take the opportunity to discover other things in life that could pleasantly surprise them. Quite a high horse to be on while wandering about on a hockey community site in plain summer.

• GrosBill says:

After reading his posts here for years now (wjc previously, GOMEZ! GOMEZ!), I find it odd that despite mocking posters and how they waste time here, he is still a regular himself.

BUT

If he wasn’t posting here regularly, who would put things in perspective for us? WHO???

• Mavid ® says:

what makes you think were not enjoying it..honestly get over yourself

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

32. Maritime Ronn says:

@ Habitant in Surrey

Your caring of Habs fans across Canada with a Petition is both honorable and has been noted, yet just some quick questions for you:

Have you taken the opportunity, or have you tried to engage the ‘Decision Makers’ at the Corporations that you are calling out?

In other words, have you attempted high level communication in any mode – be that Tel-Email-Face to Face, with Rogers-NHL-Bell-Canadiens, or whomever else is a target in your petition?

If so, what has been their responses?
    Are they willing to engage and answer?
    Do they respond?

If you haven’t tried high level communication as of yet, that may be an avenue to explore.
    ( Hint: Buy 1 share of Rogers/$42.74-either way, you can’t lose)
    :-)

At the end of the day, these folks are human beings and sometimes are overly protected by their entourage in hearing facts and sentiment over and above a yearly Shareholder meeting where only Dividends and RIO count.

” ‘You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar”

Not to forget in the greater equation, is that a Corp. such as Rogers showed Revenues in Fiscal 2013 in excess of $12.7 Billion along with 28,026 employees and several million customers in one or several of their business segments.
    These guys are in the Big Leagues and may also possess “Crush” potential.

If you wish to further engage, please drop me a mail at:
    maritimeronn1@gmail.com

• Habitant in Surrey says:

Sure Ronn, will contact you soon.

• franco says:

Why would you want to catch flies anyways.

Petition is a waste of time and effort. Time would be better spent contemplating your navel.

How does all this work, you wonder?

NHL sell rights to Rogers. Rogers sells games to fans. How do you maximize profits, split up games in sections that you have to pay for.

This is not a surprise to Rogers, this was the plan.

The only answer is not to watch all 82 games, Watch 20 games or so and be happy. Listen to games on radio while you work in your work shop, drive your car, do a hobby. Hockey is okay, but c’mon, get a life. You will be surprised what you can accomomplish and be satisfied.
      Play some hockey, watch the kids play, forget the multi-millionaires.

You will be surprised, how, after a short while you will not really miss it. Lift weights, make love, go to night school….find other distractions.

33. Maritime Ronn says:

Regarding the ‘supposed’ Mr. Molson intervention in PK’s contract:

The Subban/ Meehan clan held ALL the cards this time around.
    It was ‘Pay Me Now’, or Goodbye in Summer 2016.
    From here – and several may howl, yet if Subban/Meehan REALLY wanted to push the envelope, they could have run that contract up to $76M…and maybe more.

Give Subban his credit.
    He earned it.
    He is in the process of building a great off-ice Brand, yet his on ice performance (Boston series) sealed the deal and Habs fans outright love for the guy.
    This guy competes, and no one can question his Will To Win.
    His “Excite” level for Habs fans is also off the charts.

As for the process, there is no doubt that Mr. Molson was there from start to finish and aware of everything.
    This was HUGE money – but over and above that, it could have had potential and serious repercussions on sister related businesses.

No hockey executive is perfect – and that includes Today Birthday guy, 49 year old GMMB who does not appear to have a business/legal background as several other NHL GM’s do today.

This was also sophomore GMMB’s first Major contract with a Major Trophy winner, budding superstar, and one who also possesses a HUGE off-ice persona.
    Yes, Price signed 6 years in 2012, yet had proved little up to that point with the word “Potential” heard more often than not.
    Max also signed 6 years in 2012, and if Meehan had been his agent, that contract would have never happened.

What may have possibly transpired in the process was that Mr. Molson explained all aspects of this Business related decision – some ‘Outside of Hockey’ Real Business facts, and asked GMMB to seriously consider everything before making a final decision…and that whatever outcomes – be they positive or negative, would fall on GMMB’s shoulders.
    A Mr. Molson ” Nudge” cannot be ruled out.

GMMB is also a very emotional guy.
    We all saw that during the playoffs, or even when Parros went down.
    Emotion is a wonderful quality, yet also sometimes gets in the way of cold hard business logic…

And who really knows – yet perhaps the Arbitration Hearing was part of the overall strategy to knock Subban down a little and hope that demands would decrease knowing full well they had another 48 hours.
    They could never do that publically, and this was a unique platform.
    …but this was Don Meehan and Newport.
    They don’t lose.

Perhaps at the end of the day, both Mr. Molson and GMMB took out their respective spreadsheets – both hockey and business related, and decided to get it done.
    There really wasn’t ANY other choice.

34. jols says:

I’m not sure who is responsible for locking PK up for another 8 years. A contract that will take him to the age of 33. I have no idea because I wasn’t there but as a long-time Habs fan I am relieved and ecstatic that it is done.

35. Habfun says:

Does anyone have any idea what Habs games are being televised on which channels? The NHL site only shows a few games but I like to know how I am going to watch every game without buying a NHL package. If I have to I will but it seems Sportsnet is making us wait and I like to be ready for the start of the season!!
    I live in Ottawa and have not had a problem until this year.
    I understand there are 60 Ottawa & Toronto games on TSN but I don’t care! I want to know about the Habs!!

It’s all about the CH

• Habitant in Surrey says:

SIGN the Rogers NHL Habs Petition …dang nab’it ! :(

Read and sign at; http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-habs-blackout-rds

• HabFab says:

Rogers has apparently not finalized their NHL packages.

• B says:

RDS regionally has 60 Habs games:
      9 Pre-season
      1 Saturday afternoon (Jan 31 1:00 PM vs WAS)
      50 on Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri.

Rogers nationally has 32 Habs games (plus all playoffs):
      5 Wednesday on SN
      1 Thursday on SN (Nov 13 vs BOS)
      18 Saturday on HNIC
      1 Saturday on SN (Oct 18 vs COL)
      2 Saturday on City (Oct 11 in PHI, Oct 25 vs NYR)
      4 Sunday on City
      1 Sunday on SN (Feb 8 in BOS)

TVA nationally has the opener vs Toronto on Wed Oct. 8th, 21 Saturday night games and the playoffs.

–Go Habs Go!–

• jimmy shaker says:

So for the rest of the games NHL centre ice is your only viable option. Unless of course you are in the RDS regional viewership. Live streaming could be an option as well but hit and miss sometimes. I’m in the same boat as you my friend down here in southern ontario (windsor)……Looks like I’m upping for centre ice at 32 bucks a months!

Maybe PK can cover my bill?

Shaker out!

• Hobie says:

TSN had an article the other day about the NHL not being allowed not blackout games. It might actually go down. Probably not this year though.

A person should be able to order NHL Center Ice on Rogers and pay $32 bucks a month and not have to pay anything else. Not basic cable or another package for an additional $50 to $80 a month.

On the internet side of things. People should be able to pay $160 or whatever it costs for GameCenter for the year and be able to watch all 82 games of their favourite team without having to worry about blackouts, if the games is also on local television.

It might take a bit a time but hopefully it happens. Such BS right now.

I actually live in the RDS regional area. So my cable won’t go up. However, I’m still paying $80 a month for cable. I would love to order GamecCenter online but 75% of the games will be blacked out. Or I’d order Center Ice on cable and cancel everything else. But oh no, they won’t let you do that.

Basically, the cable companies and the NHL do not want people cancelling their basic and VIP cable packages. They force people to have cable if they want to watch all 82 games of their favourite team in HD.

• habs_1978 says:

The article talks about a lawsuit against the NHL from 6 people in the United States. But it will only affect blackout games in the US and not Canada. I posted a link earlier to the article suggesting that perhaps Canadians need to take the same approach.

Here’s the article:

• Hobie says:

Ya I figure if it goes down in the States it would eventually take place in Canada. No guarantees though.

All I want is to cancel cable and get all 82 Habs games online. GameCenter equals two months of cable.

I’m guessing that would cost the cable companies billions of dollars in revenue if that were to happen. I bet the cost of GameCenter goes up to $500 a year instead of around $200 like it is now, if blackouts are ever removed.

• B says:

I believe there are only 2 games not scheduled to be on RDS regionally or Rogers nationally (HNIC, SN, CITY):
          Wed Mar 4th at Anaheim
          Sun Apr 5th at Florida

–Go Habs Go!–

36. Habitant in Surrey says:

re CFL Football

I become bored to tears watching NFL football compared to CFL football.

I watch CFL football not only because it is more entertaining and FUN to watch, but I also relate because I feel the rivalries between Canadian cities and regions.

As a kid I enjoyed being a fan of the Green Bay Packers. I would still enjoy to some degree watching them or Tom Brady and the Patriots. But, to sit down and watch a full game or care one way or other which team was in the ‘Super Bowl’, give Me a break !

Disclaimer: I ‘may’ watch (the Super Bowl) if it were the Packers and Patriots. :)

…Maybe :(

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Try College, best atmosphere out of the 3. Pick a team and cheer away!

• Habitant in Surrey says:

Even American college ball, could care less.

As a kid I would anticipate the Rose Bowl games for some reason. Something about the USC Ohio/Michigan rivalries (East/West).

Likely more there was nothing else goin’-on on New Year’s Day, except a hang-over.

But even that left Me long long ago.

Give Me a Laval vs U of Saskatchewan game over any non-descript US college any day.

Am I getting any of Y’all inflamed yet ? :)

• frontenac1 says:

Amigo!For wagering I love NFL,NCAA, CFL in that order. For Entertainment I love CFL,NFL,NCAA in that order.m

• JUST ME says:

Your comment is unique because it usually is the other way around. But one must be fair and i have to say as i do in such comparison, those are two totally different sports .

Unfortunately for those like me Als fans , this is as expected in a way, a very difficult season to go through.

37. adage2000 says:

I’ve said from day one that Bergevin fumbled on these negotiations with Subban, and that Molson probably overruled him. Some here suggested that I was clueless.

It isn’t needed to be an insider to figure out that you don’t bring a player (especially one like P. K.) in front of an arbitrator, just to rush few hours afterwards to sign a deal above what was supposed to be your very last offer (the one that would avoid arbitration). You just don’t do that: unless you’re an idiot/incompetent or you’ve been overruled by someone higher in the hierarchy than you are.

• HabsWin-nipeg says:

Respectfully disagree, although I know as much about the reality of the situation as the next person. My belief is if Subban/Meehan had been asking for a reasonable amount of money long term, MB would have signed him no problem. The fact that they “settled” at 9 million per, says to me that Subban/Meehan was probably asking for much more. My opinion, but I suppose it’s as valid as the next persons.

• adage2000 says:

Well, we can also argue that if MB had offered a reasonable amount (let say 9M per year) before the arbitration, P. K. Would have signed. Especially if (like me) you think that P. K. could have earned much more if had decided to test the market in two years.

But that sin’ even the point. My point MB has fumbled, not because he’s tried to strike a good deal for the Habs, but because he stupidly gave the upper hand to Subban with bridge contract, and this time around he didn’t realize that he did so (2 years ago) and didn’t know where to drawn the line to strike a deal. He should have known better that a short term deal was not an option and thus it was almost unacceptable to get in front of the arbitrator. Because he failed to do so, he got ruled out by his bosses. That’s my whole point.

• Loop_Garoo says:

MB is neither incompetent nor an idiot, and it happens all the time that good players get close to or go to arbitration. It really is not a big deal, despite what some on here say, and as proven by the fact he signed a long term deal, did nothing to damage relations between PK and the Habs

38. Habitant in Surrey says:

Regarding whom is wearing the pants in the Montreal Canadiens Family.

Who in Hell cares !

Geeze You Guyz love to dramatize every detail.

Who is Bergevin working for ? The Montreal Canadiens, right. Who at this time does Bergevin answer to ? Geoff Molson, right ?

Of course it’s going to be Molson who pulls the trigger on this kind of critical decision.

Was there ever a doubt ?

• Adidess says:

HIS,
      With all due respect, there is no game going on. Why do you think we’re here, in the middle of the summer, chatting up about our favorite team, if it is not to speculate about irrelevant things …

We don’t have the facts, the process doesn’t even matter now that the deal is signed, but speculating about the whole thing is harmless. That’s what diehard fans do when there is no game on TV.

39. Adidess says:

Jack Todd may not be entirely off base. It is possible that we will never know what exactly happened leading up to, and following the arbitration hearing. What we can all agree on, perhaps, is that the announcement of the deal resulted from a relatively unusual/odd turn of events. Few negotiations go all the way to arbitration. Few teams end up there, to then turn around and offer such a big money contract before the ruling comes down. Not saying it never happened before (couldn’t find anything conclusive), I’m saying it’s very rare. Looking back to the negotiation process, a few things seem fairly obvious.

1. It was probably the Habs camp who blinked. Hard to imagine PK camp elected to walk into the arbitration hearing despite an 8 yr/$72M deal on the table from the team. This deal looks more like the contract Subban wanted than the one the team wanted.

2. Something happened that made the GM promptly decide to preempt the arbitration ruling he apparently felt comfortable going into. I don’t know what it is and that’s where Jack Todd’s speculation is coming from. It could be the pressure from fans, the negative attention from the media, a sit-down with the owner, or some combination of those, but something definitely happened.

3. It is easy to speculate that the player is quite a bit more ecstatic with the deal than the GM is. The same GM who didn’t think the player was worth $5.5M just two years ago, and who would rather go to arbitration this time, being so certain of his case, has now signed him for $9M a year for 8 years. It seems strange. And there’s also the fact that Subban was made available to discuss his excitement of signing this deal. The GM, on the other end, issued a statement and disappeared from view. It’s speculation, but it seems to me Bergevin would rather not discuss the deal or the process at this point. He will eventually, I’m sure, but how he’s handled the aftermath so far is pretty telling.

4. Maybe PK’s value is viewed differently on the owner side vs the hockey side. The relationship between team management and Subban is fine, I think. I don’t believe MT or MB did anything to Subban in the past year that could be described as ‘despicable’. However, I don’t think the coaching staff or Bergevin treated him last year as if he was worth $9M a year. I still don’t know whether $9M is the right deal, but clearly there has been a reassessment, of some sort, of PK’s worth in the last while, and it’s not hard to think ownership would have been more convinced of the high value of the player than are people on the hockey side. Again, it’s not necessarily surprising that the owner who is shelling out the money would have a say in what salary a star player receives. But those who are convinced it was primarily Bergevin’s call don’t quite have the facts to back it up either, based on the whole negotiation approach.

I’m expressing a personal view here, I don’t have the facts. So feel free to disagree, but this is not an attempt at disparaging one side or the other for playing hard ball.

• Marc10 says:

It will eventually come out. If Molson did step in, I have no problem with that. PK’s value on the ice might be more in the $7mil range (which is still awesome), but given everything else he brings to this franchise, given that he trains like a pro and goes above and beyond with the PR, he’s easily worth the other $2mil. It’s just too bad that the extra $2mil counts against the cap… But if we’re willing to wear that kind of coin for a Briere, than we can get away with one over the top contract. At least we’re betting on a gamebreaker that brings it every night.

Things will get interesting if the cap doesn’t go up as projected… In the meantime, I think we can live with this.