New feature: Habs Future

Habs Inside/Out is happy to welcome a new contributor: Robert Rice, who is familiar to the Commentariat as SeriousFan09.

Robert is an expatriate Montrealer living in Brantford. He will monitor the Habs Prospects web site and keep an eye on future Canadiens in Hamilton, Wheeling, major junior, the U.S. colleges … just about everywhere.

In each weekly edition of Habs Future, Robert will file his Three Stars of the system and a comprehensive update on how all the team’s prospects are faring.

It’s great to have him aboard, and we hope you enjoy Robert’s stuff.

Let’s start out with video of Jarred Tinordi’s first fight in the OHL, then click on the jump for Robert Rice’s first report.

XKFpyDrSdUU

The Three Stars of the Week:

1. C Louis Leblanc:

The star QMJHL prospect of the Canadiens organization had a non-stop
weekend with 3 games in 3 nights between Nov 5th and 7th. Leblanc scored
a goal each night and added 3 assists to his scoring totals to lead the
Montreal Juniors with 26 points on the season and scored consecutive
game-winning goals on Saturday against the Quebec Ramparts and Sunday
against the Baie-Comeau Drakkar. Louis Leblanc leads the Montreal
Juniors in scoring and is 13th overall in scoring in the QMJHL and every
player ahead of him has played at least four more games.

2. RW Aaron Palushaj:

In an impressive week, Palushaj jumped into 4th overall scoring with
the Hamilton Bulldogs with 5 fewer GP than anyone ahead of him. It was
quite the week for the Palushaj considering he was injured and before
the week had begun, he had only 3 games played to date. His 2 goals and 5
assists helped pace the Bulldogs to a 3-win week, it could be
considered that the young winger is shaping to be a major offensive
contributor for the 2010-11 Bulldogs season.

3. D Mathieu Carle

After being quiet on the score sheet to start his season in Hamilton,
Carle had an explosive week for the Bulldogs, scoring goals in 3
consecutive games including the game-winning goal against the Manitoba
Moose on November 2nd and then the tying goal against the Moose
on November 3rd to bring the game to the shootout and a win for
Hamilton. He finished the week with 3 goals and 1 assist.

Worthy
Mentions
: D Jarred Tinordi had his first fight as a London Knight and
acquitted himself well. G Karri Ramo has only lost once in his last
seven starts. D Yannick Weber is leading the AHL in goals by a
defencemen with 7 so far. RW Alex Avtsin scored the final shootout goal
in Hamilton’s November 3rd win against the Manitoba Moose to decisively
end the game. C Andreas Engqvist has received great credit from reports
to be the best penalty killing forward on the Bulldogs. Maxim Trunev had
his first multi-point game of the season in the KHL. Brendan
Gallagher
’s 17th goal of the season has him tied for the league lead in
goals in the WHL.

Question Marks: After scoring 36 points
in 41 games last season for North Dakota and 5 goals, 3 assists in the
2010 World Junior Championships, Danny Kristo has only three assists in 10 games so far this season at North Dakota. Ben Maxwell has only one point in his last five games. Bubble prospect Joonas Nattinen,
after being considered a very good find in the 3rd round of the 2009
Entry Draft, had an achilles tendon injury and had surgery, he was
placed on IR in September. Considering the nature of tendon injuries and
the requirement that Nattinen be signed to a contract this coming
summer according to draft selection rules, his injury does not bode well
for his immediate future. Alex Avtsin‘s wrist injury has limited
his ice time this season so far, it may continue to impede his ability
to stay in the lineup in Hamilton.

Complete Statistics for the week of November 1st:

Legend
Skaters:
Games Played, Goals, Assists,
+/-, Penalty Minutes
Goalies: Wins, Losses, Overtime
Losses, Shootout Losses, Goals Against Average, Save Percentage
Teams: Wins, Losses, Overtime
Losses, Shootout Losses, Ties (for NCAA teams only)
Season Stats: Season scoring
prior to the past week.

The AHL Report
: The Hamilton Bulldogs have
been the AHL affiliate of the Montreal Canadiens since 2002. It is the most
common route for developing Montreal Canadiens prospects into full-time members
of the organization. There are currently 13 members of the team that may one day
fill out a role for the Canadiens. The Hamilton Bulldogs are currently on a
very solid 7-1-1-2 record to start the season and lead the North Division of
the AHL Western Conference.

RW Alexander Avtsin: 19
years old, 6’3″, 199 pounds, RH shot
Season Stats: 2GP, 1G, 1A, +3, 0PIM
Weekly Stats: 1GP, 0G, 0A, 0, 0PIM

D Mathieu Carle: 23 years old, 6′, 203 pounds, RH shot.
Alternate Captain
Season Stats: 8GP, 1G, 0A, +3, 6 PIM.
Weekly Stats: 3GP, 3G, 1A, +5, 2 PIM

C David Desharnais: 24
years old, 5’6″, 177 pounds, LH shot.

Alternate Captain
Season Stats: 8GP, 3G, 9A, +4. 2PIM
Weekly Stats: 3GP, 1G, 2A, +4, 0PIM

C Gabriel Dumont: 19 years old, 5’10”, 180 pounds, RH shot.
Season Stats: 8GP, 1G, 1A, -2, 4PIM.
Weekly Stats: 2GP, 0G, 0A, 0, 0 PIM.

C Andreas Engqvist: 22
years old, 6’4″, 191 pounds, RH shot.

Season Stats: 8GP, 1G, 3A, 0, 4PIM
Weekly Stats: 3GP, 1G, 0A, +2, 2PIM

C Ben Maxwell: 22
years old, 6’1″, 191 pounds, LH shot.

Alternate Captain
Season stats: 8GP, 3G, 6A, 0, 4PIM.
Weekly Stats: 3GP, 0G, 1A, -1, 4PIM

G Robert Mayer: 21 years old, 6’1″, 209 pounds, catches left.
Season stats: 6GP, 3-2-0-1, 2.94 GAA, .878%
Weekly Stats: 1GP, 1-0-0-0, 3.69GAA, .862

D Brendon Nash: 23 years old, 6’3″, 218 pounds, LH shot.
Season Stats: 9GP, 2G, 4A, +4, 8PIM
Weekly Stats: 2GP, 0G, 0A, +2, 2PIM

LW Max Pacioretty: 21 years old, 6’2″, 210 pounds, LH shot.
Season Stats: 8GP, 1G, 7A, +2, 6PIM
Weekly Stats: 3GP, 2G, 2A, +1, 2PIM

RW Aaron Palushaj: 21 years old, 6′, 183 pounds, RH shot.
Season Stats: 3GP, 0G, 4A, +1, 2PIM
Weekly Stats: 3GP, 2G, 5A, +5, 0 PIM

RW Ian Schultz: 20 years old, 6’3″, 208 pounds, RH shot.
Season Stats: 6GP, 0G, 0A, -1, 9PIM.
Weekly Stats: 1GP, 0G, 0A, 0, 0 PIM

D Yannick Weber: 22 years old, 5’11”, 196 pounds, RH shot.
Season Stats: 8GP, 4G, 6A, -1, 10 PIM.
Weekly Stats: 3GP, 1G, 0A, +1, 0PIM

C Ryan White: 22 years old, 6′, 198 pounds, RH shot.
Alternate Captain
Season Stats: 8GP, 0G, 4A, +1, 7 PIM
Weekly Stats: 3GP, 1G, 0A, -1, 6PIM

The Juniors Report: The
Canadiens currently feature prospects playing in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey
League (QMJHL), the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) and the Western Hockey League
(WHL).

QMJHL:

C Louis Leblanc: 19 years old,
6’1″,
184 pounds, RH shot.

Junior Club: Montreal Juniors, Alternate Captain. (14W, 3L, 3OTL)
Season Stats: 13GP, 9G, 11A, +9, 22 PIM.
Weekly Stats: 3GP, 3G, 3A, +3, 6 PIM.

LW Phillippe Lefebvre: 19 years old, 6′, 200 pounds, LH shot.
Junior Club: Montreal Juniors (14W, 3L, 3OTL)
Season Stats: 15GP, 7G, 10A, +8, 15 PIM.
Weekly Stats: 3GP, 1G, 2A, +2, 2 PIM

D Morgan Ellis: 18 years old, 6’2″, 196 pounds, RH shot.
Junior Club: Cape Breton Screaming Eagles – Team Captain (6W, 14L, 1 OTL)
Season Stats: 17GP, 2G, 7A, -6, 19 PIM.
Weekly Stats: 2GP, 1G, 1A, -2, 2 PIM

OHL:

D Jarred Tinordi: 18 years old, 6’6″, 212 pounds, LH shot.
Junior Club: London Knights (9W, 5L, 1 OTL)
Season Stats: 11GP, 0G, 2A, +1, 10 PIM.
Weekly Stats: 3GP, 0G, 0A, -5, 9 PIM.

WHL:

RW Brendan Gallagher: 18 years old, 5’8″, 170 pounds, RH shot.
Junior Club: Vancouver Giants (10W, 7L, 2 OTL)
Season Stats: 18GP, 16G, 13A, +15, 27 PIM.
Weekly Stats: 2GP, 1G, 1A, +1, 6 PIM.

US College Hockey (NCAA) Report: The
Canadiens have drafted a number of college players in recent years but at the
moment, there are only two I consider viable prospects.

D Mac Bennett: 6′, 180 pounds, LH shot.
NCAA Team: University of Michigan Wolverines (4W, 0L, 1T)
Season Stats: 5GP, 0G, 3A, +5, 15 PIM.
Weekly Stats: 1GP, 0G, 0A, 0, 0PIM

RW Danny Kristo: 6′, 188 pounds, RH shot.
NCAA Team: University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux (4W, 1L, 0T)
Season Stats: 8GP, 0G, 3A -6, 4 PIM.
Weekly Stats: 2GP, 0G, 0A, 0, 0 PIM

Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) Report:
MHL- The league under the KHL,
Maxim Trunev has been going between both leagues this season.

D Alexei Emelin: 24 years old, 6’1″, 221 pounds, LH shot.
KHL Club: Ak Bars Kazan (15W, 6L, 2 OTL, 2 SOL)
Season Stats: 19GP, 3G, 6A, +6, 20 PIM.
Weekly Stats: 3GP, 0G, 0A, -1, 6 PIM

G Karri Ramo: 23 years old, 6’3″, 207 pounds, catches left.
KHL Club: Avangard Omsk (14W, 7L, 1 OTL, 1 SOL)
Season Stats: 16GP, 9-4-2, 2.01 GAA, .917%.
Weekly Stats: 1GP, 1-0-0, 2.00 GAA, .933%

RW Maxim Trunev: 20 years old, 5’11”, 189 pounds, RH shot.
KHL Club: Severstal Cherepovets (13W, 9L, 2 OTL)
Season Stats:
KHL: 13GP, 0G, 2A, -2, 2 PIM.
MHL: 6GP, 1G, 4A, +6, 53 PIM.
Weekly Stats:
KHL: 2GP, 0G, 2A, +2, 0 PIM.

1. Everlasting1 says:

Nothing like some 20 yr old blogger extolling worldly wisdom and vast knowledge to someone twice his age. Let the big boys field the big questions. Stick to hockey, aiight?

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

2. Everlasting1 says:

Yea, never seen such bias coverage in all my days.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

3. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

we’ll continue this after the VAN/BOST/PHILLY fiasco, debacle! (i really hope it isn’t)

cheers!

4. Xtrahabsfan says:

If the Habs can and I doubt they can,they better toughen up for Vancouver tomorrow…cus it’s gonna be a ruff one!

5. Bill J says:

NO – in fact you are 100% wrong.  NO 2 team have the same etc etc as no two people are alike.

What you define as being the same, is a BS lamo position YOU choose to wish for the Habs.

Every single team has an animal on Defence…. ???? LMFAO – Yes please go on, name all 29 TYVM.

First team I looked at disproved your centreman theory, Minnesota doesn’t have ONE forward taller then 6’2″

So yeah 100% NON-Accurate.

At least check your BS before posting it, or your a un-educated “so-called” professor.

6. Bill J says:

LMFAO Tony! – same loser new name.

7. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

every single NHL team except ours, has a 4th line composed of sluggers/fighters & grit specialists.

every single NHL team except ours, has an animal on defense (Phaneuff/Chara/Prongers) shall I go on???

every single NHL team except ours, has a top 2 line centreman over 6′ 4″ tall that can hit and play hockey.

now those 3 sentences are at least 90% accurate…and thats my point…made.

8. Bill J says:

OK Mr “find it difficult to state the obvious”

do tell…

What two teams in the NHL have the SAME 4th line

or the SAME top 6

or the SAME D-Corps.

Bonus question: when was the last time a TRUCULENT team won the Cup ?

9. TomNickle says:

He’s been Holmgren’s, and doing well at it.

10. Storm Man says:

I can’t stand the Cowboys but Mangini would be a great coach for the team. I don’t know if he can be JJ’S puppet.

11. TomNickle says:

Jonathan Joseph coming back keeps the game close I think.

12. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

I find it difficult to ignore the obvious… thats my opinion and you don’t have to agree with my comment.

but you will watch 82 games (again) and then come to the conclusion that i’ve put before you now, at the start.

13. Storm Man says:

I have the Steelers by 13. TO hope you have the popcorn ready.

14. TomNickle says:

I think Eric Mangini would be the perfect fit for the Cowboys.

15. TomNickle says:

Steelers, by a field goal.

Al Davis really isn’t a mystery.  He drafts ridiculous athletes, about a third of them turn into good NFL players.

He takes no more risk from a football ops standpoint than anybody else.  Business on the other hand(like where he selects the players he does) is something else all together.

16. SeriousFan09 says:

Great meeting you as well Steve, that was the best couple of nights out I’ve had in a very long time.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

17. andrewberkshire says:

I figured, you jack@$$

18. Bill J says:

Hmmm..

Hockeysfuture dissagree’s and agree’s lol (the link has it as Emelin, but the page has it as Yemelin)

thus my question.

I believe it is Yemelin.

Even the Habs official site has it that way.

19. andrewberkshire says:

I think that’s a pretty good idea, Bill. How many times have certain posters gone off the deep end with offensive comments only to be cleaned up by mods right away, and then the evidence to ban them is gone. It’s too much work for the mods to manually keep track of who to report back on to Boone or Stubbs.

20. Storm Man says:

JJ and Al Davis same family tree Im thinking. Who you have for MNF?

21. Bill J says:

For a professor (or self pro-claimed one) you sure lack education.

There are NO two teams in the entire NHL that have the same 4th line, or the same top 6, or the same D-Corps.

Keep cheering for truculence… I hear there’s a team about a 6-7 hour drive west of Montreal that deals in Truculence…

Oh yeah – they are scaaaaaaryyy…

22. TomNickle says:

I don’t think Jerry Jones was happy this morning.

How does he promote the guy who’s been the problem?

23. TomNickle says:

Just messin around.

24. Storm Man says:

Robert I for one thank you for all that great insighful comments you post on here. Now if we can get you to understand football better ;). Great UFA pick-up Boone this one know’s his hockey.

25. andrewberkshire says:

Wha?

26. TomNickle says:

Aw….you’re such a cute little whipper snapper.

27. Bill J says:

on this note (sorry to hijack your post, but it is pertinent to your thought)

Instead of DELETING these posts…. Why not EDIT them… IE

THIS POST WAS RULED INAPPROPRIATE, PLEASE CEASE THIS TYPE OF POSTING IF YOU WISH TO AVOID A BAN!

This way the “powers that be” who have banning powers can SEE who needs to be banned.

By deleting posts, all your doing is hiding the trolls and allowing them to keep trolling.

28. habsprospects says:

Emelin is the translation letter by letter, Yemelin is more like how you pronounce it.

29. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

whats the matter? the truth hurts?…we are probably the softest team in the league…nobody has a 4th line like ours, nobody has a top 6 like ours, and nobody has a d-corps like ours…

like what?……’not intimidating’

speed/finesse/passing/shooting/goaltending we are above average.

intimidation factor = we are dead last.

30. andrewberkshire says:

Thanks a bunch Steve, and just so you know, I like my elders more than people my age 98% of the time. More interesting to talk to.

31. TomNickle says:

Screw you Andrew.

32. Bill J says:

OK question.

Is it Yemelin

or

Emelin.

???

33. SeriousFan09 says:

I know where he plays, but I wasn’t prepared to cover him until his stats bumped or I had a request. Greg Pateryrn with University of Michigan is my next addition if he keeps getting points.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

34. TomNickle says:

As for respecting my elders, I always have.  Just promise you won’t drop any Rocket references on me.

35. TomNickle says:

I didn’t make it and I’m sorry for that.

I’ll be sure to let everyone know when I’m going to be in Montreal for a game.  And I won’t let anything get in the way of me making next year’s summit.

When HIO gives up a page for loony tunes I am sure you and Bugs will the 1st they’ll contact.

37. OneTimer says:

SF09 = best poster on HI/O, straight up. Congrats buddy.

Didn’t I say a week ago, someone give this guy a job already? 😉

38. TomNickle says:

Is there any word on why Boyd was put on waivers?

Somebody coming up?  Weber, Nash, Carle?

I’m assuming it would be a defenseman because we haven’t reached 9 on the roster yet and I’m sure Jacques would rather carry 9 D and 12 forwards than two extra forwards.

39. JasonM says:

Robert! Good luck! 🙂

40. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

puzzled…. i’m sure SF is a class act, he is not insulting in his posts…but in regards to the ‘prospects’ or shall we say “Youth Movement”… he has been against me (that) for the last 2 years!!

“Pax isn’t ready…Henry can’t skate…Shultz needs conditioning…etc…etc…”

let me tell you something, if we don’t revolve some doors here and bring up WHITE/PAX and SHULTZ or HENRY or the equivalent… its going to get ugly fast…starting with VAN/BOS/PHILLY…heaven help us.

SF, best of luck and congratulations…I just hope you make the ‘propects’ sound exciting, and give them their due…its good for them and better for the regulars as it keeps them on edge.

and please remember …there ARE “PROSPECTS” who ARE NHL READY…and CAN HELP US RIGHT NOW in certain departments where we lack….grit/toughness. (not fighting)

1:The N.A.G. (North American Grit) Youth Movement will bring us respect. 2:The NHL-Ref-Syndicate will do everything in its power to never allow the HABS to win another Stanley Cup. 3. ..call up WHITE/SHULTZ/PAX now.

41. SeriousFan09 says:

I’m just covering the players I think have a chance of coming over here, Alexei Emelin doesn’t hop the pond I’m not going to likely cover him next season because this is likely the last chance that the Habs FO can lure him over the pond. Players will work themselves on and off of the list as the season goes on.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

42. ProHabs says:

Great. SF09 has always contributed awesome comments on this site and I look forward to reading your prospect reports.

43. SeriousFan09 says:

I’ll add him to my watch list.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

44. Julie H says:

Congrats Robert! Can’t wait to read your stuff 🙂

“I know you’re wise beyond your years, but do you ever get the fear that your perfect verse is just a lie you tell yourself to help you get by?”

45. TomNickle says:

Dustin Walsh Robert.  He falls into the big and skilled centre prospect category.

Helps that I coached his brother 😉

46. andrewberkshire says:

K, mods, seriously. Why is MY comment deleted because some stupid troll commented on it? Can’t you just delete HIS comment?

Anyway, congrats again Robert.

47. TomNickle says:

Thanks pal.

He plays on the same team as Joe Stejskal, it shouldn’t be a big problem if you’re monitoring him already.

48. TomNickle says:

Good job Robert.  Nice to see the brass rewarding people who contribute something valuable to the site.

49. Lucius says:

Does this cover our entire 80ish man protected list?

I may be wrong, but I think guys like Korneev are still on there.

50. andrewberkshire says:

Too bad I couldn’t chat with you more this weekend Steve, I think both myself and the (soon to be) Mrs were a little overtired.

Andrew – Just remember your promise about respecting your elders:-)  Same goes for Tom NIckle who I didn’t get to meet.  Alas, Smart Dog was also there but I missed him, as well.  He’s one of my favourtie posters.  BTW, all the best with your new Hab ‘venture’, Andrew.

Steve

52. SeriousFan09 says:

I’ll see about incorporating that in to future updates, thanks for the thoughts.

Also people, don’t forget to ask after prospects you’d like to see covered, I’ll do what I can to incorporate someone if you think he’s missing.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

53. fbkj says:

now now the official story is flawed, lets just leave it at that 😀

54. Lucius says:

Great update – Just a thought though, in the stats section it would be awesome if you also included total points.

I realize we can add manually, but it would be nice nonetheless 🙂

(And sortable tables would be even better!)

55. fbkj says:

Gratz buddy, did they give you admin as well, so you can b4n t3h tr077s?

56. andrewberkshire says:

I’m sure Sergio already has his own blog extolling the virtues of 9/11 conspiracy theories.

57. JD_ says:

Really good on ya, Robert. Congratulations.

Consider any ‘n’ all media pillagin’ a badge of honour. Happens to the best of ’em.

58. habsprospects says:

The injury was not really disclosed, he played through it last night, but didn’t take many faceoff, he might play for game #2 on Wednesday.

59. VancouverHab says:

Well done, SF: I just hope that this doesn’t mean that you are removing your leavening influence from the comments sections?

60. SeriousFan09 says:

Thanks Dave, although as I would like to say once again, the siterunner of Habs Prospects is huge help for the KHL/NCAA, it’s a lot of help for these updates and reports.

Don’t forget to check them out folks if you want to go find your own dark horse in the system to look after.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

61. petrov14 says:

Good Job SF09!!

I always enjoyed you minor leauge reports but now I wont have to catch them by accident in the comments section.

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

62. Dave Stubbs says:

Superb work by Robert. I will guarantee you right now that your research is going to be pillaged by many media in Montreal, and probably beyond. I hope they’ll give credit where it’s due for the terrific work.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

63. ooder says:

my little brother is by no means a pessimist or a troll or wtvr

but he just posted something really funny on fb that i wanted to share with u guys:

cant wait for habs game!!!!

when habs are playing can’t wait till it finishes!!! :~”

haha pretty funny for a 13 year old

——————

88 is the new 23

64. linp says:

Excellent news. I have been following only the BullDogs. Now I can find out how the others are developing. Great!

What happened to Louis Leblanc? Is he injuried? He is not playing tonight of the Q vs the Russian.

65. Keith says:

Good stuff SF09 and very thorough work as well. I’m looking forward to reading more about our prospects and hoping for the future.

My wife and I were fortunate enough to spend quite a bit of time with Robert at last weekend’s Summit.  He’s a class act who adds so much to our site.

Robert always takes the high road as he views the Habs through a glass half full.  A lesson to be learned for all of us.

All the best, our fine, young friend.

Steve & Joan

67. Hockey Socks says:

Congrats! I keep up with how the prospects are doing regularly, so your features will be of great interest to me!

On Kristo: The sophomore slump is more prevalent in the NCAA than in any other hockey league. He’s a good player and he’ll pick it up.

68. ooder says:

nerd!

haha jk jk.. congrats man..

it’s about time  🙂

——————

88 is the new 23

What? Everlasting1 doesn’t get his own feature blog to report his Halak updates? What a rip-off!!!!!

JUST KIDDING!!!!!

This is great stuff SF09. I look forward to these reports. So much more refreshing looking towards the future than the past.

70. diehardhab says:

Great news for SF09!

Now lets get Timo a feature!!

The torch be yours to hold it high!