Never too early to worry

pk-subban-photo-shoot

If P.K. Subban puts up a great sophomore season, what kind of contract will he be in line for?
Bleacher Report weighs in with some comparables.

Steven Hindle on Pleks’s potential

Stu Hackel on the Weber Effect

What Weber will really make

Another Yvon Pedneault season preview

The Weasel talks contract with the Bs

Battle to be backup in Chicago

More of Hockey’s Guilty Pleasures

And Alex Ovechkin has parted ways with CCM.

Which means we’ll be spared more of this:

1. meimeipp says:

.http://proxy4biz。com
    Online Store,Get Name Brand Fashion From 12USD Now!
    Lv,Gucci,Prada,Coach,Chanel Women sandal is $30
    DG,JUICY,Lv,Gucci,Coach Hand-bag price is $35
    Polo,Locaste,Levis,EdHardy,Bape,Christan Audigier AF,COOGI Tshirt price is $12
    Jeans price is $34
    Paypal accept,Door to Door services!
    5 days arrive your home or you

2. abhot says:

.http://voguecatch。 com
    Online Store,Get Name Brand Fashion From 12USD Now!
    Lv,Gucci,Prada,Coach,Chanel Women sandal is $30
    DG,JUICY,Lv,Gucci,Coach Hand-bag price is $35
    Polo,Locaste,Levis,EdHardy,Bape,Christan Audigier AF,COOGI Tshirt price is $12
    Jeans price is $34
    Paypal accept,Door to Door services!
    5 days arrive your home or you

3. gfdygthygtf says:

share with you a very good website

love ★★★

very good web

lets go★★★

4. Curtis O Habs says:

Wow! That`s some in depth analysis on Pleks. Nice work Hindle.

I had a fantastic evening. We went to a street dance down town Belleville. “The Reasons” were playing for two and a half hours. These guys are one of the best groups around.

50′s 60′s & 70′s Rock and roll, We danced to every tune for three sets. Surely I lost a few pounds!

5 minutes to home and dove into my pool. Great summer night.

But when do they drop the puck.??

• longbow says:

Yes indeed,when do they drop the puck. Can’t remember when there was so much excitement and anticipation for an up-coming season.Not just here on HIO but also hearing it from so many friends and acquaintances.”Can’t wait till hockey starts” seems to be the most common phrase I hear.

“Wanting is often more pleasurable than having.It is not logical but it is often true.” – Spock

I just watched a great movie, “Get him to the Greek”.

When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

7. TheMock780 says:

Well, apparently Brendan Gallagher, Bournival, and Beulieau are all asserting themselves quite well in the World Junior summer orientation camp here in Edmonton. All three have been mentioned a few times on the radio (ie. Team 1260) as players that have been impressive so far. Even the morning guy who’s a self-admited Habs hater is falling in love with Gallagher who scored a goal in tight top shelf the other day and then on his next shift ran over the other teams goaltender at full speed. A little guy with big stones and big skills

8. Psycho29 says:

Does anyone know if Brad Marchand was bringing the Stanley Cup to show relatives in Minnesota???

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

9. HabFab says:

The Montréal Canadiens renewed ECHL affiliation with the Wheeling Nailers for the 2011-12 season.

10. punkster says:

Someone brought this up below. Price and/or Subban under 10 year contracts.

In my opinion no player is worth a 10 year contract or the insane multi millions per annum being tossed around these days.

Just as no player is untouchable in a trade scenario.

The NHL, like most pro sports leagues, has gone way over the top with these salaries and terms.

I know, I know, it’s the reality of today’s market. That does not make it right. I would really hate to see my Habs offering those types of deals and being locked in to long terms and high payments with zero assurances of payback or performance.

Now, unrealistic sure, but make it performance based with specific high objectives and by all means, give these kids the world. Make your targets and you’re rich. Miss them and you’re just another plugger getting paid a plugger’s wage.

Change the system. Fight the Power!
    ***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Un Canadien errant says:

Charles Wang, Garth Snow and Mike Milbury tried the long long term contract gambit with Rick DiPietro and it blew up in their face. I remember Mr. Wang lecturing how they were trying to think outside the box and applying business principles to hockey, trying to amortize the cost of the peak performance years with the apprenticeship years and the decline years.

Those kinds of contract have no chance of succeeding. If the player underperforms or gets injured, you’re on the hook. If everything goes according to plan and the player is the all-star that management thought he would become, at some point with salary inflation he will feel underpaid and hold out to renegotiate.

———————————
      For my training camp surprise, I want the second coming of Mike McPhee. And maybe Kent Carlson.

11. Bugs says:

Ref ko’d.
    Great UFC-style reaction once everyone gets the proper look.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• DearyLeary says:

Cup/No Cup
      Conn Smythe/No Conn Smythe

Love Stamkos, I’d kill to have a perennial 40+ goal scoerer on the team, but I go with Toews.

• Mark C says:

How is this even a question? The guy who is 2 years younger scored 39 more goals in the past two seasons, he is a 90+ point a year player. The other guy has never had a PPG season.

I know Toews has played large in the spotlight and is a better defensive player. But there is no way those things offset the difference in production.

SUMMIT TICKETS

As of right now we have 23 tickets not paid.

I know the Bell C. did not give us much time and there was a holiday in ON. and the US parcel Service has to look on a map to find out where Canada is today.

But I sure hope people that said they had it in the mail are honorable.

It doesn’t help you in the short term Ian, but if indeed there are tix which go unpaid, I am sure I can find a couple more people to drag out to Montreal and purchase some of those tix from you.

Thanks again for your help, work and financing!

• Ian Cobb says:

I have never had a problem in other years, so I think the problem is just that the Bell Center is not giving us as much time this year. Should be good by Monday’s mail or some might miss out.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Ian, if you end up with unpaid tickets, let me know. I could probably convince the wife to take a trip up for the game. That would take care of 2 tickets for sure.

13. bleedhabs81 says:

With regards to the Bleacher Report:

Dude is worried that PK’s 2nd pro contract would be so astronomical that PG would have a hard time signing other UFA’s (most notably Josh Gorges).

2 Things wrong with this.

I doubt PK will warrant a 7 million dollar raise, as it seems unreasonable for a player to demand upon finishing his 2nd FULL season.

He is concerned about Josh freakin Gorges???? Love him (said in a previous post) but it is only JG. This is a no brainer. I would rather have one PK than a billion JG’s!

Can JG change the game with one mad rush up the ice… no. Can JG change the game with a laser shot from the point… no. Can JG change the game by absolutely destroying some one like, oh I dunno, Brad Marchand?…. um…. no.

PK can.

Pk can also play defence… give him a little more time and he will be considered a fantastic shut down defenceman when the game is on the line.

• shiram says:

JG can change the game by getting his helmet or other parts of his body or equipment in the way of a puck that could have went past the habs goalie.

Of course Subban is a more dynamic player, and he can affect the game in many ways, but I would not discredit what Gorges brings to the team.

But yea, I doubt Subban’s next contract will force the team not to sign Gorges..

• bleedhabs81 says:

mmm, Poutine!

I won’t argue that JG is a good at getting in the way and blocking shots, or that he is a good team guy. I just think PK can learn this aspect of the game. Also, as I said in a previous post, Gorges is not that unique of a player. He plays hard and has done well for himself given his talent level…. but he is easily replaceable with respect to what he brings on the ice. PK, on the other hand, is very unique and there are only a handful of guys with this kind of talent. That is why, if it came down to it, I would show Gorges the door and then sign a diamond encrusted cheque and hand it to PK.

His skills are not easily found on July 1st when the free agent market opens. A body that can get in front of the puck is not as difficult to find.

Of course, this is assuming that PK demands and obscene amount of money….

• shiram says:

I agree with what you are getting at.
          And I love PK, and see the future of the Habs in him, or that he is a major part of the future of the team.

While I can’t say that for Gorges, I really appreciate what he can for the team.

Basically, signing PK should not prevent us from signing Gorges.

14. DearyLeary says:

OMG, you guys have to hear Darren Dutchyshen pronounce Beaulieu on the first scrimmage’s highlight pack.

Phonetically (or as close as I can get): Nathan Buh-lee-oh

• mike3131 says:

lol, what are Beaulieu’s chances of making Team Canada? Seems he’s off to a good start…

• DearyLeary says:

I’d say he’s pretty close to a lock. Gudbranson and Gormley are pretty much for sure going to be up in the NHL.

There are some other really strong defenders out there, but Beaulieu’s looking really good. If he puts up stronger numbers than last year it’ll be hard to keep him off the team.

• secretdragonfly says:

What’s really incredible is that on draft night, none of the TSN commentators could say Beaulieu properly but none of them had a problem pronouncing Zibanejad – pretty sad.

• hansolo says:

‘Twas ever thus. Maclean’s magazine had a cartoon back in the 70s spoofing, of all people, Foster Hewitt (who did indeed have trouble pronouncing “Cournoyer”). The cartoon was of Hewitt calling a Canada-Russia hockey game, with the caption something like this:

“And it’s Courn..Corney….Cornwhy…anyway Tsygankov just scored.”

I was familiar with the cartoon, but for proper referencing, I should mention I copied this from a poster called Lowetide on the HF boards:

DearyLeary, let’s try again:

1) Bo, as in Bo Jackson

2) Li, as in Peter LEE, traded with Pete Mahovlich for Pierre Larouche.

3) Uh, as in Charles Montgomery B–Uuuuu-rns (that’s Mister Burns to you. To friends he’s known as Monty but to you he’s Mister Burns).

Put it all together and you get B0-Lee-Uuuh.

15. Mattyleg says:

Hahahaha!!! Thanks to everyone for chiming in on their most hated commentator-speak moments.
    God, some of those were truly, truly terrible.
    Maybe we can all chip in and send a stack of dictionaries and thesauruses to TSN and CBC.

Actually, that’s a great idea! That would be awesome. Sign it: Love, The Montreal Canadiens Fanbase.

Think we’re black-balled enough already?? Just wait for it!! :D

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Also have to make sure we let know Mr. Cole know that Cammalleri is number 13 and Gomez is 11. He seemed to struggle with this during the Boston playoff round.

16. Talik Sanis says:

I’m not certain if this has been mentioned yet, but Goalie Robin Gusse has been invited to training camp.

Once he was traded to the Huskies (a really, really terrible team by all accounts), he became their best goalie, though there wasn’t exactly stiff competition for that role.

It remains to be seen if he’ll prove to be a more competent goalie in scrimmages than some pads popped up in the net.

17. SmartDog says:

I’ve decided that I’m going to chill about whatever signing PG has yet to make. We know we need some size and grit in our depth, and one thing PG seems to have a good eye for is guys with character, who contribute in the locker room. So I’m gonna forget about Halpern, as much as I liked him, and just let PG do his thing.

In other news, they sped up my valium drip today!

• G-Man says:

Ahhh! Now we know why SD be mellow.

I am worried about SD.

• hansolo says:

I liked Halpern, too, but he did seem to get hit a little too easily in the head — remember Ference’s hit in game 7? I think Halpern was still dazed in the OT when the puck went off his skate past Price. He missed time during the RS because of injury, too.

It’s true he wasn’t as much a smurf as some of our heroes, but he wasn’t a NAG, either. I thought the prevailing winds were blowing in favor of the team acquiring a “size and grit, NAG” type of guy.

18. HabsFan1111 says:

Disclaimer: First time poster!

I am sooo unbelievably hockey starved, I need to add my two cents on something …

Part of me feels like PG should throw 10+ year contracts at both Price and Subban! As much as I can’t stand these stupid, ridiculous, unbelievable front loaded long term deals, I feel like we need to try. Kind of like how baseball players and sprinters use ‘roids to ‘keep up with the competition’. It’s annoying, but if you want to lock someone down longterm, it’s these two.

Otherwise we’ll give them 2-3 year 4-5 mill deals (if we can even afford them both), then (assuming they keep getting better, which is a pretty safe assumption) we’ll be faced with giving Weber-esk contracts or losing them as FA’s. Are we going to be able to afford to pay 2 players between 7-9 mill each in 2-3 years? Doubtful (I am aware Gomez will be off the books then, I’m still doubtful).

My two cents.

GHG

Well it is interesting with the CBA expiring next summer. Will the league try to make some changes preventing these contracts? Also you have to wonder if the league is going to allow another 1 time buyout period for teams to rid themselves of really bad contracts. It certainly appears that Price and Subban will be good/great for 10 years each thus warranting this type of contract. Given the term they gave Cole and Markov is giving 2 young guys like this 10 years any more risky?

• Un Canadien errant says:

I think we’re dreaming of a buyout period because we jonesing for one right now, we’d use it on Scott Gomez but quick. I don’t know how likely it is that it happens next summer though. Brian Burke, for one, believes that being able to circumvent the cap by burying your mistakes in the minors or buyouts is against the spirit of the agreement and inflationary. Rich teams like Montreal and Toronto and the Rangers will be in favour of such a change, while hardline small-market owners are going to be opposed, and campaign for a rule stating that you can’t bury a contract in the minors.

19. SeriousFan09 says:

Apparently Pouliot just did a 345 yard drive at Alex Picard’s golf tournament.

Issue was he fell down 5 times walking to where he hit the ball.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

20. mdp2011 says:

Some funny stuff from the twitter world regarding Sean Avery and his arrest, here are a few:

Down Goes Brown – Worst part of the Sean Avery story: the whole time he was in jail, the Green Men were doing handstands and gyrating around in the next cell.

Adam Proteau – Sean Avery released from jail, but LA cops warn the public he is still considered Armani’d and dangerous.

Andy Strickland – Word is Sean Avery turtled before LA 5.0 slapped the cuffs on him

Lauren Belfoy – The LAPD officer knew better than to shove Sean Avery back, as he would have fallen dramatically to the floor and claimed police brutality.

Bruce Arthur – Instead of shoving that cop, Sean Avery should have just stood in front of him and used a hockey stick to block his view of the party.

21. Un Canadien errant says:

There were a few questions yesterday about Owen Nolan’s tryout with the Canucks this fall. Here is the Vancouver Sun’s take.

———————————

Yesterday down few hundred bucks. Today up $15 (from yesterday)… Yeepie!!!

23. SeriousFan09 says:

Already people trying to stir the pot with concerns about PK’s next deal? PG has cap space open and he has more going into next season as Spacek + Moen clear the books. He and Price will get their next contracts done.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

24. avatar_58 says:

I have a question – why is PK holding that left-handed stick when he clearly shoots right? Did they just hand him the stick and say “shaddap”

• otter649 says:

That’s his draft photo probably only had LH stick – Check out the number 07 on his sweator his draft year……

• avatar_58 says:

Yeah I know, but that’s what I mean – they just handed him a stick. Like “this is the correct hand you weirdo” and that’s that. Clearly he isn’t doing it the white way

25. Psycho29 says:

Pardon me if I seem depressed…..down in the dumps today….

Loni Anderson, my crush when I was a young man (ok, younger man…) turns 65 today.

26. Feraco says:

Unfortunately things around the league move so quickly gone are the days of “dynasties”

UNLESS!!!

You have excellent management that can consistently draft well and make trades that work out. ALSO to have a dynasty you would need a franchise player like Crosby, Ovetchkin, Datsyuk, Toews to consistently compete.

That being said, if your team does not work out you can essentially blow it up and start fresh which is exactly what MTL did. That was a pretty amazing FA yr when they essentially signed their entire core in one summer.

Our core guys are signed aside from PK and Price, are signed into the forseeable future which should keep us competitive!

In today’s NHL you gotta be competitive because anything can happen in the playoffs!

Molson Ex mon ami

• TorontoHabsFan says:

I was just thinking about the Detroit dynasty and how weird a hockey world we live in where we lionize the performance of their 4th line (the “Grind Line”) and credit them with being a key part of their success while seeming to diminish the influence that having at least 8 sure fire Hall of Famers in the last 10-15 years – Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Yzerman, Larionov, Shanahan, Murphy, and Federov has had on their success.

Don’t tell our Leaf friends here in Toronto that Murphy is a Hall of Famer, they still haven’t got over that!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Are Mr. Zetterberg and Mr. Datsyuk already surefire Hall of Famers? I think they project well as HOF members, but I’m not sure they are guaranteed at this point.

I’m trying to think of players sure to get in that are still playing. Off the top of my head are Mr. Lidstrom, Jarome Iginla, Martin St. Louis, Martin Brodeur, Mike Modano….

Any others?

———————————

I hate to say this, but I think Recchi will end up in there.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Crap, I hate to think so but you’re right.

They reward the great stealers in baseball, like Rickey Henderson and Tim Raines, I guess Mr. Recchi should be recognized for stealing Eric Desjardins and John LeClair.

• Chris says:

Teemu Selanne, Mark Recchi (although he just retired) and Joe Thornton are pretty much all guaranteed.

If they factor in international play, as was done for candidates like Slava Fetisov and Igor Larionov, Saku Koivu actually will get a long look. His international credentials are staggering…he is a shoo-in for induction into the IIHF Hockey Hall of Fame.

Peter Forsberg should be a shoo-in, having now retired again. Paul Kariya will get a long look, but I think he might get passed over.

Ilya Kovalchuk is pretty much a shoo-in if he has a couple more good season, and Ovechkin/Crosby just need to get to 8-10 seasons to get in.

People won’t like it, but Zdeno Chara is pretty much a guaranteed addition for both his level of play and contributions to international hockey.

Sergei Gonchar sustained a very high level of play for a long, long time, but he needs a couple more solid seasons to merit consideration.

Chris Pronger is a shoo-in.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I should have thought of Teemu, he’s obvious. I was thinking of teams with mega-stars and I forgot about him, maybe because he’s almost retired by now.

Not sure about Joe Thornton as being ‘surefire’. When thinking about San Jose I considered him, but I think the lack of playoff success so far and his being traded away from Boston, under Carter-Richards circumstances, are still a blot on his resume.

Zdeno Chara, with his Cup now and Norris trophies is probably a shoo-in. Ilya Kovalchuk I’m not convinced yet is guaranteed to be voted in.

• Chris says:

I don’t think there is any way they can leave out Joe Thornton. He has basically been the most consistent regular-season forward for more than a decade. He is in the mix every year for the Art Ross and Hart Trophies. He’s in.

St. Louis still needs a couple more really good years to cement his entry I think.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Disagree. Cup and Hart Trophy winner, scoring champion, he gets a concussion next year and never plays again he’s still in.

This plus his back story and character, the voters will rush him in.

———————————

If Theo Fleury doesn’t make it in, I am not sure St. Louis with present stats gets in ahead of him. I realize character issues/suspension is against him, but also now with all we know of his past…

I am in favour of St. Louis, but I think it will be tough unless he puts up 2-3 more good to really good years.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

I dunno – St Louis has under 800 career points (778). Getting that up closer to the magic 1000 pt plateau would make his case stronger.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

I wouldn’t say that either Zetterberg or Datsyuk are guaranteed to get in if they retired tomorrow – but I think that a couple more seasons with even mediocre results (by their standards) should lock them in.

EDIT – After looking up their totals on hockeydb I see that neither has all that many career points (Zetterberg has 555 and Datsyuk has 651). It’ll take more than a couple more years to guarantee their spot in the Hall. However I’d say that Datsyuk’s reputation as a world class two-way player has him closer to enshrinement than Zetterberg (who also is a damn fine two-way player)

It’s one of the great mysteries of the sport I so love – that the Hall of Fame is not the most exclusive place you can think of.

*cough*cough*Clarke Gillies*cough*cough* :D

Konopka?

• Chris says:

You left off Hasek, Coffey, Fetisov, Robitaille, Hull, Chelios…

Add in that Mathieu Schneider, Mike Vernon and Chris Osgood will all get serious attention.

And then toss in a guy like Marian Hossa who could merit consideration when his career ends.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Robitaille was inducted into the HOF already, same year as Stevie Y and Brett Hull.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
          SF09 on Twitter

• Stuck_in_To. says:

I was going to point out Robitaille but also point out the original list did not have Stevie Y on it … so you straightened me out on that one. Thanks.

• Chris says:

Odd, because I could have sworn that Igor Larionov was also already inducted into the HOF. That wasn’t the point of the post I was replying to.

The post was noting the staggering amount of talent that Detroit has had pass through over the past 15 years.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

I was sorta hoping you’d reply and fill in the obvious blanks on my list! I kinda just went off the top of my head – I have no idea how I forgot that Chelios played with them for ages!

I also think there’s an argument to include Rafalski on that list.

27. Shane1313 says:

What’s weird to me is that, we keep talking about getting a 4th line center and that we need one, but tell me if I’m wrong, but we had Halpern! He was ideal for that and we could have signed him for under a mil. He would have taken some pressure off of pleky for PK duties. I dont usually get all crazy about guys we’ve let go, but Moore last year was a mistake and now Halpern will be a mistake this year. He was a solid guy to have. Him and Pyatt, I’ll miss.

• Rugger says:

That makes me think the team does not feel we need a 4th line center and have it covered sufficiently by someone already here in the system.

• mbplekfan says:

The team let it be known that they were very happy with the play of Andreas Engqvist in Hamilton. He is 6’4 and a good faceoff man.

I think the team would have resigned Halpern if they felt Engqvist wasnt ready.

• Feraco says:

Nice post. Halpern would provide cheap insurance and really battled for them.

I think they are waiting for someone with some size and grit to be put on waivers or make a trade to get some size to fill the 4th line role.

Molson Ex mon ami

• kempie says:

Same goes for Metro the year before. I agree with mbplekfan. I think, at camp, that job is Enqvist’s to lose.

28. caladin says:

A cup every 2 years? You my friend need to quit watching hockey and focus on the CFL. In a 30 team league with a cap expecting to win the cup half the time is just silly.
    Of course, 18 years is a little more than 2……

More HI/O terminology for the newly initiated:

mark my word – it’ll never happen

troll – anybody whose views differ from your own

IMHIOO – in my Hockey Inside Out opinion, a phrase attempting to feign a supposition but clearly indicating an avowal of fact

• Psycho29 says:

So using one of these in a sentence would be:
      “IMHIOO, the Habs should have kept Halak, and traded Price.”

Actually, I think I just use all three in one! :-)

Bixi – A european forward usually played on the left wing (Can meander to centre at times given the flow game). Most old School coaches don’t like this player (Don Cherry)and will never let him play on the Right Wing. Some feel this player is never held accountable and provides no real short term returns. However, in the long run this player ends up providing great returns for the team he is part of.

• punkster says:

Success=Stanley Cup – the belief that nothing but a Cup can or should be considered the mark of a successful season…all other results equal failure

Thrown under the bus – term used to describe the action a gm, coach or player takes when he shifts blame for his own failures on to an unsuspecting and quite innocent player…usually used by fans who were supporters of SK, Lats, Lappy, Ribeiro, Halak etc.

Circular logic – the stunning display of one’s command of the English language when used to describe the current situation of the Habs…as in “Because when PG and JM have never won anything when they first took over then waited to draft and never got anything but still small players with 8 million dollars and contracts with for because 18 years and never won anything”.

Multiple identities – the method employed by tenacious posters to successfully hide behind a variety of avatars and fool everyone into thinking they are different people…where, oh where, is dear Tony242?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

30. TorontoHabsFan says:

Patrick O’Sullivan signs with Phoenix. How many lives does this guy have??

He’s bounced around more times than Jason Bonsignore and Chad Kilger combined!

31. Feraco says:

Playing to your strengths seems to be a great way to win.

Price is a strength so a defensive system is in place to give him the best chance to sign.

For arguments sake:

Could the Canadians play a more offensive system?

Do they have the strenths?

How would Pleks, Cammi, Kostitsyn play in an “offensive system?

Example: If the Habs played with Boucher’s system…would that create more points / goals for the Habs top players?

Molson Ex mon ami

• Say Ash says:

Ever wonder if forwards are reluctant to sign with defensive-minded teams?

It is why we will never have an 80-90 point player on our roster under the current system. I understand this is the way JM coaches, and I don’t think he knows any other way too coach. Perhaps with a more mobile defence this year and slightly larger forwards, this system can be massaged a bit. Just don’t see JM changing though.

• Rugger says:

In fairness to JM, his last 4 years coaching Ottawa, they were in the top five GF each year. It wasn’t till he got to a horrendous Florida team that his team’s were low scoring, and even they finished 11th in GF one year.

Good point Rugger, but those teams never had the goaltending either to play a defensive low scoring game and win. At least not in key games.

• Rugger says:

Exactly, which to me says JM coaches to the skills he has available.

• avatar_58 says:

Of course they do because their stats take a plunge. Who’s going to pay you once your 5 year deal is up and your highest point total is 50?

At least on a crappy team that is offense first you can get your payday with that career high 100pt season.

Of course the best players play to win, so cups speak louder than stats

• shiram says:

Maybe, but I think other factors are more important.
        Like salary and term, teammates and team quality.

But it can surely have an effect.

• Tony McLean says:

Ever wonder why Canadiens fans are bored to death with the Canadiens the last 25 years? I won’t cheerlead for the likes of Martin and Gauthier. Or even Price, who is a terrific talent who has yet to deliver on his promise in the playoffs. If Price wants cred (outside his male groupie circle) and $$$ he has to go at least two rounds this year. I remember when Canadiens fans literally saw the team win every two years. That’s the Stanley Cup friends, Not one or two rounds. Now too many people accept the mediocre offerings and a quick exit from the extra season every year. Insist on more, insist on entertaining hockey. It WAS the Canadiens’ trademark.

I can’t be the only one wanting revenge against Chara, Julien & Co. Do you think Toe Blake or Scotty Bowman would have let them get away with it?

• shiram says:

I gotta admire your persistence if you continue to follow something that has been boring you for the last 25 years, that is dedication.

Adn about accepting mediocre offerings, or insisting on more, how do you do that, do you write to PG?? Or just post on forums that no one from the Habs organization will read or take seriously…

• G-Man says:

The Habs have played the trap since Dick Irvin Sr. in the 40s. Figure after 65+ years fans would recognize it as the winning way, but no!
          The great offensive teams won Cups, too, but do you really think Bowman let anyone get away with playing lazy-ass selfish hockey? Think the great teams of the 70s would have gotten anywhere without Robinson, Savard, Lapointe and Dryden? I don’t think so.

I always thought the Edsel was the best made car as well. WTF are these auto makers doing today!

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Those days are long gone. In case you haven’t noticed, times and things have changed drastically. Sam Pollock is dead. There are 30 teams today, players have different attitudes. No one will trade us a first draft choice for a bag of pucks. There is generally better scouting and a salary cap Did you see what happened to the Blackhawks? Winning destroyed their team. Do you think the Bruins are a dynasty after winning their first cup in a hundred years? Either get used to it or start watching minor league hockey for fun.

Heck, a kid can’t even set up a lemonade stand.

• shiram says:

Funnily enough, last week-end at Laurier métro station, there was a kid with a lemonade stand.

32. secretdragonfly says:

In other news, Sean Avery – what a loser.

• Ian Cobb says:

Dragonfly–All the breaks this guy gets! your right he is a loser.

Name tags this year.???

• secretdragonfly says:

Name tags for sure – we’ll just have to figure out how to get everyone’s info. You got my money order, right?

• Ian Cobb says:

Got it days ago. thanks.

Summit
          I will come up with a plan for you. Lots of people are coming that have their own game tickets. So I will have to have everyone and their guest sign up for a name tag, something like that!

I also need a head count for the pre game dinner, breakfast and Hall of Fame tour. As soon as I get all the ticket stuff done i will work on that.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Sean Avery being a loser is not news.

33. Mats Naslund says:

The thing that bugs me about NHL salaries is that since they are based on comparable player’s salaries you essentially have a race to the bottom. As soon as one GM overpays for player x, every player who can make a case that he is more valuable than player x is now eligible for the same sort of silly contract. The fact that Dion Phaneuf’s contract was even discussed as a reason for why Weber should make more is hilarious. Yeah Weber should make more than Phaneuf – but that doesn’t mean that Phaneuf is worth the $6.5M in the first place.

Weber is a case where clearly he is worth a bunch of cash – so I really have no problem with him getting paid. There are just many many examples of contracts in which GMs over-pay to ensure that they land a player (ie. Eric Cole). The problem is the next time you go to sign a guy, the prices have gone up because cumulatively, the league has reacted to your move.

Hotel regular rates are $139 and $149. BUT!

Our HIO special rates are as follows.
    Hotel rates.single $119, Double $119, Triple $144, Quad $$169

Be sure to tell them you are with HIO.
    Mrs. Xich-Vê HÔ (pronounced “sik-vay”)
    Sales Manager- Leisure Groups and Catering
    1180 de la Montagne
    Montréal, Qc H3G 1Z1
    1-866-861-6112

Tel : +001 514 871 2138
    Fax : +001 514 861 2295

I have 91 Summit game tickets spoken for.

I am sold out, get your money orders in the mail today please. I have to pay for them Friday the 6th

The Dallas Sept 20th and the Buffalo 21st pre season game is still available. The more of these I sell, the more Summit tickets I can get.

If you want pre-season game tickets, call me right away please, before they are sold to the general public at a hire price. 613-968-9807—Ian

Nov.18,19,& 20th 2011 (Itinerary) for our HIO Fan Summit.
    Park your car for the weekend, everything is two minutes walking distance.

Friday evening—Meet and Greet, name tags at Hurley’s pub. 1225 Crescent St.

Saturday–8am Breakfast Chez Cora’s. 1240 Drummond St.

10am Tour Hall of Fame and Bell Center
    Hall of Fame Tour is now included in the price of your tickets.!!!!!!!!!

3pm Baton Rouge for pre game meal and children’s
    charity raffle. 1050 Mountain St. (rue de la Montagne)
    7pm Game Hab’s vs Rangers

After game celebration. the upstairs at Hurley’s pub reserved for us.

Sunday—-Farewell breakfast and back to the airport for home.

Hotel rooms– group rate at the Novatel Hotel, be sure to tell them you are with the HIO group to get the deal price.

• shiram says:

I’d like to meet the bunch of you, but I cannot do it this year.
      I guess living in MTL I could drop at one time or another, but that week-end is tough for me.
      Hopefully next year will work.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

Those of us coming in from out of town will need your fully completed list of Poutine shops. A map outlining the locations would also be greatly appreciated! Cheers Shiram, hopefully you can drop in would be nice to meet you.

• shiram says:

Well the list should be completed by the time the summit rolls around.
          I’ll try to keep up with the events of the summit and see if I could squeeze in a meet at a bar or restaurant.

• Rudy says:

Ian, am I 2 of the 91?

• Ian Cobb says:

Yes. (2) But your ticket money order should arrive today. Coming from the states, it takes a few days longer.

USA postal service has to look on a map to see where Canada might be this week.!

35. louise says:

he is one of the most top player and many agreed.a lot know how great he plays.:D

36. jon514 says:

I know this is beating a dead horse, BUT, this article should be titled, “It’s never to early to offload Scott Gomez’s 7.8 million dollar contract, so we can afford to sign Price, Subban, Eller?, Yemelin?, Georges to significant raises next off-season”.

“Let’s be clear on the facts…”

37. JD_ says:

Comin’ up next: Barney The Dinosaur weighs in on the European debt crisis.

38. shiram says:

In started to read The Game by Ken Dryden this week, thanks to all who recommended it, it’s very interesting as of now.

Sorry HFS72, the Nietzsche books will have to wait !

• t1tan5 says:

THE best sports book I have ever read. You’ll love it.

• ProHabs says:

YOu want to read a good book Shiram, read “The Nights the Lights Went Out” about the Punch-up in Piestany. Written by Gare Joyce. Great book about the Canada Russia Junoir brawl in 1987.

Interestingly, Patrick Roy’s brother was getting punch on by 2 Russian and Pierre Turgeon just stayed on the bench and didn’t jump on the ice to help his teammates. Roy was pissed at Turgeon and so were many of his teammates.

Keane, Shanahan and Richardson were tough kids for Canada. Pat Burns as the assistant coach.

• Rob says:

Roy obviously didn’t hold any grudges as he and Turgeon were very close friends.

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

• HabFanSince72 says:

No problem.

Since we’re talking books and finances these days, everyone interested should read The Big Short by Michael Lewis. Lewis is an ex-Wall Street trader who quit to become a writer – and he writes extremely well. He has written a couple of sports books (The Blind Side and Moneyball) that I haven’t read, and the seminal book on the 80s financial world (Liar’s Poker – also a great read).

The Big Short explains the 2008 crisis from the point of view of the handful of people who predicted it. A great read.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I agree. I went on a Michael Lewis rampage a couple months back, read “The Big Short” as well as the other two you mention, great reads, page turners.

As the ‘crisis’ unfolded a couple years ago, I semi-jokingly would tell friends and coworkers, who usually seek me out in turbulent times for my pearls of wisdom, that I was okay with it as long as 10 000 people went to jail. I would break it down as needing 7000 of those to come from Wall Street, and the rest could come from anywhere else in the world. Michael Lewis’ accounts confirm my suspicions that the system was run by inept, lawless and corrupt insiders who did nothing to protect the investors who entrusted their money with them.

39. TorontoHabsFan says:

If Hindle is right and Plekanec breaks through to the 70-80 pt range – this place will go nuts :D

As for Subban, I would be shocked if his contract buys up any UFA seasons – a 3 yr deal for $12m-ish sounds about right to me.

• shiram says:

It does not seem so far fetched, but the wild card is injuries, though I think some consistency on the lines could help as well.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Oh I agree, I think it’s completely possible – but if he does have a season like that, man will he ever be exulted on these boards!

We’ll see comment threads arguing who’s better – Patrick Kane or Plekanec?

It’ll be awesome!

• shiram says:

Of course! He’d be the most recent top player that was developped by the team, and alot of fans know how great he can play. Putting up those numbers would show the rest of the league the quality of game Pleky brings, and he could get some trophy nods too.

• jon514 says:

Plek was on a 90+ point pace is the first half of last season… then he slowed down. If he can find that same game but sustain it longer, he should get there!

“Let’s be clear on the facts…”

40. Mattyleg says:

Happy Friday to everyone here!
    Lovely day here in Mtl, sunny, warming up nicely…

Gots a question for yez… kind of a fun moan-in.

What’s your LEAST favourite hockey commentator word or expression?

Mine has to be ‘upside’. Like “he’s got a lot of upside.”

What the flying Hell does that mean?! If you mean “strengths”, say “strengths”. If you mean “skills” say “skills”.

It makes me want to smack people who say it “upside” the head.

Upside and downside. Just another way of saying strengths and weaknesses… imported from the Land of the Inarticulate.

Echh..

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• RGM says:

“Sent up along the dasherboard.”
      “He waffleboards that one off to the corner.”

Just about anything said by Doc Emrick, actually.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

• JF says:

Mine is “skillset.” Why not just talk about skills, or say a player is very skilled?

• Malreg says:

“Oy-oy-oy” – Benoit Brunet

• secretdragonfly says:

My pet peeve seems to have been adopted by all sports commentators – “Did you see that?!!!” Yes, yes I did but thanks for pointing it out again. The other one that I’ve noticed certain TSN contributors have borrowed from Pierre MacGuire, “He makes his team better” – well, if he made his team worse, his a&$ would be fired, wouldn’t it?

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Two words – “net presence”.

So it is only used by one boneheaded broadcaster, but it is forever burned in my head and I hate him for that, the infamous “Double Dion” hit in WJC play. I am not able to tell you how much that broadcast annoyed me!

Here is a great clip of MacGuire with Dutch from TSN, ha ha what an idiot Pierre!

• Kooch7800 says:

I remember that. That was pretty lame lol.

I am still stunned at how Canada blew a three nothing lead last year going into the third and the coach doesn’t call a time out after the 2nd goal

That same coach couldn’t win the OHL championship on Home Ice or the Memorial Cup on Home Ice. BUt is now on the Coaching staff of the Senators. I don’t know, I am with you on that Gold medal game.

• habsguy says:

I have 3 that pi$$ me off …….#3 “he went shelf”
      #2 “he banked in along the half wall”
      #1 “holy makinaw”

• Kooch7800 says:

What the hell is a Makinaw anyway. It is like yelling holy Pikadoodle.

It means absolutely nothing

• TorontoHabsFan says:

According to his wikipedia page “Holy Mackinaw” was his dad’s way of swearing without swearing in front of his kids – so I guess when Bowen screams it, it’s sorta like him screaming “Holy Sh!t!!!” without really saying it.

Actually that makes me hate him a little bit less…but just a little :D

Couple years back I won a Molson promotion at my buddies bar and got 2 tix to Montreal Toronto in Montreal and they took us there on the Via Train. Joe Bowen was a guest for the group. I was the only Hab fan in the group, everyone else including my buddy I brought were Leaf fans. I ended up having a great time with Bowen and his boys were along, they were actually pretty hilarious. I sat with him for about 2 hours on the train and kept bugging him that he would never get to call a Stanley Cup Final, he kept swearing at me, but never once used Mackinaw! Unfortunately, Montreal stunk the joint out that game and the Train ride back was a little more difficult than the trip there!

• TorontoHabsFan says:

I’ve heard that he’s quite fond of The Drink – A Leafs fan friend of mine recalls watching (listening to?) a game where he broke down into uncontrollable laughter when his cohost pointed out that the puck had just hit the Canadian Club sign at Maple Leaf Gardens.

Oh your hearing is very very good still! He had a mitfull that weekend!

• Miltie01 says:

This is now so burried it may never be read but…….
          It actually does mean something !!!! Makinaw is another name for Makinac…as in Makinac Island , Michigan. A very important fur trade post and strategic point in Us/Canadian history. A Makinaw is also a jacket that was made for a local militia unit that was quite popular.

• “Jam” and “Sandpaper” both offer up copious amounts of douchechills

• Un Canadien errant says:

I hate Dave Randorf’s goal call, he yells out “Scores!” with a hoarse yelp that sounds as if he’s just scalded his larynx with coffee a second before.

• Un Canadien errant says:

One they use in football, and everyone parrots it, like it makes sense, is that the receiver jumped up and and caught the ball ‘at its highest point’. If the ball was falling towards the receiver, he by definition didn’t catch it at its highest point. The ball travels in a roughly parabolic shape, the highest point is midway through the flight of the ball, when it can be 30 feet in the air. If a receiver goes up and catches the ball ‘at its highest point’ (I have a tough time not hearing Michael Irvin in my head as I write this) it will really be news, we’ll have a full Flubber or Jetpack alert on our hands.

• Willy says:

All that civil war shit that Jack Edwards is talking about.

Favourite announcer quote/word…… “BOOM!” by John Madden(not hockey but still). I know he was all the over the damn place during NFL broadcasts but when he was on it he was great.

41. Malreg says:

My guess is PK’s deal next summer will be a short one, something like $4 million for two seasons, and he would still be an RFA at the end of the deal.

Why would he want to sign a long-term deal for cheap, when he can sign for 2 years, have 2 more great seasons, and then end up earning a long term deal for over $6 million a year?

It’s easy for everyone to say lock him up for ever, but there are two sides in the negotiation, and sometimes it’s in the players best interest to take a shorter deal.

42. JF says:

Eyes on the Prize profiles Joonas Naatinen – but it’s not encouraging:

• DearyLeary says:

It happens. I liked his effort level at the World Juniors. No need to get depressed over Naatinen’s development, nor would I be overly excited should he play a strong first season in the AHL.

• 24 Cups says:

Jane – This series lists the Habs’ top 25 prospects. Reality states we really don’t have 25 legit prospects. No team does.

It should get interesting when we hit the top dozen or so. Not to mention that most of us have rarely seen many of these kids out on the ice enough to make an informed evaluation.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Nattinen to me, maxes out as MTL’s future faceoff specialist. You send him in to win a draw or kill a penalty but that will be his likely NHL skill set and if he does that, I’m cool with it.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

43. Sakus Evil Twin says:

While I kinda like “the Weasel”, Brad Marchand is, without doubt, Peewee Hermans doppleganger.

PeeWee is much more insulting.

Maybe cuz it contains the word “pee”.

No answers, just opinions. Bite me. Och.

44. RGM says:

Subban will definitely be in line for a healthy pay raise next year. He won’t be paid as much as Markov, but I expect that–depending on the term and the type of season he has–it could be a cap hit of around $4M or so.
    The talk of Weber has everybody thinking of the young D-man, who was also brought up yesterday on Off The Record, which had a panel of 3 current players, Kevin Weekes, and two fathers, all of whom were African-American. Weekes flat-out said that Subban does get extra heat because of the colour of his skin, and while the 3 current players didn’t say it so forwardly I got the sense that they agreed with the sentiment.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

I meant to watch that episode, was it good RGM? When I saw they lineup they were assembling for the show, I was surprised PK wasn’t included.

• RGM says:

It was a really good episode – Landsberg asked some thoughtful questions and the guys gave some really good answers. Weekes has been a fantastic analyst/on-air personality since his retirement and he carried the show, but Simmonds also had some good comments. I was also a bit surprised that given they’re all Toronto-area guys that PK wasn’t there.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

• G-Man says:

All this worry over a problem each and every GM would love to have. PK will one day be the highest paid Hab and we’ll all be glad to have him here in Montreal and not anywhere else.
      Weekes was dead on; PK is singled out even now in 2011. Sad, really, but bleep those idiots.

Just watched the clips on http://www.tsn.ca/shows/otr/ unfortunately, they only put about 2/3rds of the show on the webpage, and it didn’t include the segment referring to PK. Early in the UFA i was hoping Montreal would have looked at signing Anthony Stewart. He ended up going pretty cheap to Carolina and would have looked good on our 3rd line.

In reading recently how bad Marc Savard’s condition remains as a result of the 2nd Concussion inside 1 year, I find it hard not to feel that Sidney Crosby is 1 more hit to the head away from having his career ended. While there are some players who have recovered from concussions (MaxPac hopefully) and appear to be 100%, you wonder if others ever get back to 100%.

Beyond more enforcement from the League on these types of hits, the players simply need to learn not to take advantage of vulnerable players. For the life of me, I still cannot figure out why this league has not changed the materials in Shoulder and Elbow pads, it appears so obvious to me that these Weapons of Mass Destruction which all players now wear have led to a complete Gladiator feel. The players no longer feel the impact of a heavy shoulder or elbow to another player.

Watching OTR on TSN the other day, listening to Kevin Bieksa talk as though it is just part of the game, that concussions happen. He again brought up the question, are there really more concussions now than 20 years ago? To me this type of justification of current concussions is the biggest problem. Players still are coached/taught that injuries/concussions are part of the game, so go out there and smash.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Hockey is the dumbest sport on the planet.

Your probably right. Scary thought, or lack thereof.

• shiram says:

People die playing and practicing football, as far as I know football is worst.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

The nature of Football indicates it should be worse. The fact it is even debatable now shows how much worse the problem has become in hockey.

• avatar_58 says:

The difference being in football you KNOW when you will get plowed. You see him coming and you brace yourself, or hit him back.

In today’s NHL you have no idea. Most of these concusssions happen through ambushes and attacks without warning.

• Malreg says:

A study in 2006 found that the average NFL’ers life expectancy is 55 years old. 52 years for linemen.

I would say the NFL is a much more dangerous league…

• shiram says:

How many people died playing hockey or practicing it?
            I know footballers not only succomb to concussions, but from heatstroke as well.
            I don’t see it as debatable if hockey player’s don’t die with the same rate as footballer…

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

My initial comments were directed at the rate of concussions. You are correct, NFL has had far serious problems with deaths related to football.

• shiram says:

While concussions are extremly serious injuries, they do not compare with death… American football weirds me out, and does not make much sense to me.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

Having said that, look at the recent deaths of Probert, Boogard. The lines are starting to get very blurry as to the long term effects of todays NHL.

The weirdest part of NFL Football as it relates to injuries is the isolation the player experiences. Unless you are the high priced qb, or franchise player. Once you are hurt, you are forgotten about almost immediately. Saw a special years ago on this topic and how the players are directed to stay away from the team until healthy. They don’t want any players starting to worry that they too could get hurt.

• athanor says:

I don’t know if you would consider it a sport, but rodeo, with a much smaller population of participants, has managed to kill about
          one person a year over the past 10 to 15 years, according to a study that came out sometime around the Stampede this year.
          It was declared easily the most dangerous sport in that study.

Those stats would be much different if they removed that ridiculous chuckwagon race from the rodeo’s. As well as the deaths of riders, many horses have been injured/killed as a result of that race. Why don’t they just tie a garbage can to a horse and run laps and see who has the best time already!

• RGM says:

Don’t forget about David Perron, another guy that suffered a pretty serious concussion and is also feeling the effects to this day. He got smoked by Joe Thornton early last year, which resulted in a 2-game suspension to Thornton, and he has yet to be cleared for on-ice activity.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

• Malreg says:

Regarding your question about changing the elbow and and shoulder pads: There has already been pretty significant improvement on the equipment compared to the late 90′s and early 2000′s where it was like players had iron plates on their shoulders(weird how Concussion’s weren’t a major discussion during that time period though?).

It obviously still needs to improve, but when you have to deal with a players union, or any union in general, NOTHING is ever done quick. On top of that, then you have to deal with the manufacturers/sponsorships.

• RGM says:

The Lindros brothers would like to have a word with you regarding concussions in the late 90′s and early 00′s.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

• Malreg says:

They definitely were a problem at that time, (also thinking of Paul Kariya), but there was definitely less talk about the game being too dangerous, making drastic changes to rules, etc.

• RGM says:

That part is very true. It’s really only in the past few years that science has been able to study the brain in greater detail to learn about things like CTE, long-term effects, etc. It’s pretty scary to think about guys that got introduced to Gordie Howe’s elbow a few times and got sent out for the next shift. There’s probably so many undiagnosed concussions affecting athletes of yesteryear, that the people involved don’t really realize it. As a WWE fan, I remember reading Bret Hart’s book and his recount of the hell he went through after suffering the concussion that ended his career.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

46. Bugs says:

“Bleacher Report” isn’t a news service. It’s a blogging service open to anybody. It’s as reliable as any post on this site. But far less interesting.
    Presenting it as an accredited source of data and/or insight, especially top of the list over Yvan Pedneault is shocking. It’s like we’re dealing in beads all of a sudden.
    Very surprised and disappointed it’s come to this.
    Thanks for the other links though.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• Stuck_in_To. says:

The links are offered as a service, I should think, and not an endorsement. I thought the idea was to both provide a one-stop-reading experience and engender debate. Given the quality of the Dobber articles linked in the last few days, as well as some Yahoo articles, intelligence is not a prerequisite for linking just as many news service articles are substandard to many excellent bloggers.

• Bugs says:

Yeah, but the Bleacher Report IS substandard; that’s my whole point. It gives you NOTHING you won’t find here. Often lame, unresearched, illogical sh*te. Not to mention cruelly misspelled.
        Shoulda given author’s NAME in that case. Like it did for Steve Hindle link underneath. Someone we can TRUST to read.
        You can’t trust Bleacher Report. So putting it top of page and presenting like it’s got a unique perspective on any given situation is a joke. In fact, ALL Bleacher Reports should have adjectives. “This is a GOOD one; this is a BAD one.”
        The good ones are few and far between. So much so, that there hardly seems reason to check on any more unless I KNOW the author I’m about to read will gimme sumpin interesting.
        Cuz if you start readin’em ALL, Stuckie, you’ll inevitably hold that service in as much contempt as I do, having learned my lesson.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• arya13 says:

Yeah, I think they took a turd and polished it. Taking crappy blog lists that everyone and their mother writes and turning into nice slideshows so people love it. I’m not going to lie I’ve been drawn in on 1 or 2 occasions.

But sometimes its utter BS. I saw a list the other day, worst UFA contracts, Markov was on the list. Rationale? Paid too much for a defender who has never had an injury free season. Except for the 82 game session he had in 08-09 and 78 game in 07-08 I guess. I could see potential issues with his contract (I would disagree thinking the contract was good) but it’s definitely not because he’s a D man whos never been healthy cause that’s just false.

MaxPac will raise 2 Stanley Cups in his career to show Chara that his is worth nothing.

• Stuck_in_To. says:

I don’t read them and am betting that neither does Boone. ; )

• MikeMcLaren says:

Yes, Bleacher Report, as a whole, is one of those blogs that tends to give good, insightful/inciteful blogs a bad name. I think it’s viewed throughout the sports blogosphere as a problem – most often for rampant plagiarism.

I am not sure how many people know that though. Is it like reading something from Eklund where we would simply say, “Consider the source” for most savvy consumers of sports journalism?

/\\ike
      GO HABS GO!

• Ozmodiar says:

yup. and if anyone disagrees, just direct them to the 2nd paragraph.

still, not as bad as some of the nfl b.r. blogs that i accidentally read. one of them, you’d swear, was written by a 7 year old.

more or less…
      “Raiders are good. chargers are bad. dang – powder blue. pride and poise, baby. my pet turtles name is al davis.”

47. centre hice says:

Habs prospects update:

Yesterday was the first scrimmage at the World Juniors camp. Nathan Beaulieu scored a nice goal from the slot, beat the G five hole. Brendan Gallagher scored a beautiful goal on an individual effort, and was singled out by Ray Ferraro as a standout in the game.

IMO, it will be very difficult for Beaulieu to make the team. They are stacked at the D position. The best chance he has is if some of the other prospects make their NHL teams and are not available.

• 24 Cups says:

I think the real question is how many of these young guys will be in the NHL on a full time basis this season. Teams rarely let them go to the junior tournament once they land a full time spot on a NHL roster.

Pretty short-sighted when you consider a player’s long-term development.

Gallagher strike me as the type of player that you just want to cheer for in hopes that he might become a full time Hab one day. The only problem is that we already have four undersized forwards who are on regular lines.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I think worrying about Mr. Gallagher’s size being an issue because of the Canadiens’ forwards’ size is premature. He’s probably another couple of seasons away from making the big club, and lots will happen until then. I’m just happy we have a prospect with a scoring touch who is one of the best in Canada.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Teams that absorb high picks often aren’t worried about long-term development, just the cheap labour that these teens offer a team.

Gallagher’s development track may have him in the A for a couple seasons after he completes his junior commitments then there is his trying to break in with the main squad. I’d say long-term his development to be a Top-6 might more or less match when Gionta starts to drop out of that role.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
        SF09 on Twitter

48. Psycho29 says:

I got to sub for a softball team in St.Lazare last night, and I’m looking at one of the guys on the other team, I was sure I knew him from somewhere. Turns out it was Alexandre Burrows.
    I play catcher, and he came up bases loaded, 2 out and I said to him “No pressure!” And all he said was “Yeah” and cleared the bases with a double. Oh well…
    One of the guys asked him after the game if he’s looking forward to next season. He said he’s still trying to get over last season.
    Seemed like an all around good guy….

• MikeMcLaren says:

You’re supposed to end the story with:

“… and then he bit my finger.”

/\\ike
      GO HABS GO!

You’re supposed to end the story with:

“… and after he hit his double I decided he was a good player who must be stopped, but we couldn’t pitch around him, so I stuck my hand in his face and rubbed it with my dirty sweaty glove, this is something we do that is not specifically forbidden by the rules of our league and our umpires believe in ‘letting us play’ and don’t like deciding the game so unless you crack someone in the head too hard when it’s too obvious with a bat and the score isn’t close you can shove a guy a little at the plate or grab him when he’s rounding second because some of those baserunners are small and fast and you need to send a message, well the ump won’t call it but if you’re doing it too much or too long or you’re doing it by yourself without your buddies also in there in a scrum pushing and shoving and face-washing then the ump might pipe in and tell you to cut it out and that’s your warning that if you do too much of it the ump might be forced to interrupt the flow of the game and call an infraction, so you do it to that point and wait for the ref to warn you and you’re good if you stay in that zone, so anyway there I was ‘facewashing him’ (we have this innocuous-sounding name for it, it’s kind of part of the game) hoping that maybe I get some eye contact, and ended up with a finger in his mouth I guess, and then he bit my finger. All of my team was outraged at the nerve of that guy.”

49. mjames says:

Just read Steve Hindle’s piece on Scott Gomez. Hindle seem to believe that Gomez’s strengths are his passing and ability to set up teammates.

My only comment is “we wish”. Gomez is playing out the string. You will see. Maybe PG will create a miracle and dump him. He is taking up a roster space.

mjames

50. PrimeTime says:

Like him or not, the “Weasel” would be loved on this team by the same fans who would be in an uproar that he is yet signed (maybe they are in BOS). But he reminds me of a type if player who, if given too much too early, it may actually harm his career. Some need to “be kept hungry” until you have a better understanding how they will handle NHL success. I would put our PK in the same category.

I hope he gets a huge long term contract that turns him into a lazy penalty taking sloth of a weasel. Has become such a fan favourite in Boston Chiarelli has to be careful. Please just somehow can these negotiations go poorly so as to hurt the chemistry of that team.

• avatar_58 says:

Breaking news – Habs steal Marchand from boston. Oh the uproar this would cause

51. Habfan10912 says:

Star from Team 990 is reporting that Sean Avery was arrested for shoving a cop last night. Needs a refresher on anger management.

52. PrimeTime says:

- “I suppose this may be a good problem to have, but I’m still concerned about the ability of locking impending UFAs—most notably Josh Gorges—to contracts”.

I would be more concerned if PG signed Gorges to a UFA style contract without knowing if the injury is 100% good to go. In regards to PK…..should he have a year we wish him to have, again why have a UFA style contract on a relaceable player, Gorges, of far less value to the team? This writer completely contradicts himself at the end but is correct that the contract situation with PK is a nice provlem to have. He should have stopped there.

53. HabsPEI31 says:

Now, I wouldn’t normally read a story on the Booins, but I was intrigued the “The Weasel” opening. Didn’t realize it was one of the other nicknames he’d been given.

That said, if Marchand sees a chance to run PK… it’ll be too late. PK will have seen it too, and laid another big hit on him.

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

54. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

You lost me at “Bleacher Report”