National world junior development camp underway in Brossard (Video)

Players hoping for a spot on Team Canada practised in Brossard on Monday at the national junior team development camp.

The camp started on Sunday at the Bell Sports Complex and runs until Aug. 8. It’s the first step in a long evaluation process to decide who will play for Canada at the next World Junior Hockey Championship. The annual tournament is being held in Montreal and Toronto and starts on Boxing Day.

“The goal this week is to know our players – to get to know them on the ice, but also off the ice,” said Benoit Groulx, the head coach for Team Canada.

“We want to start to build a team – a group of players that are able to play in the three zones,” Groulx added.

The coach also rhymed off a few other elements: team players who are able to working tirelessly and execute at high speed.

“That’s a bit of the identity that we want to give ourselves,” Groulx said.

Of the 40 players invited to the camp, 10 played for Canada at last winter’s world juniors in Sweden, including forward Connor McDavid and defenceman Aaron Ekblad, who was selected No. 1 overall in June’s NHL entry draft by the Florida Panthers.

Ekblad said his main goal is to play in Florida this coming season.

“I need to focus on being ready for that,” he said. “But if I get this opportunity to come back and play for my country there’s no doubt that I’ll be willing and able.”

The 22-player roster for Canada’s world junior team will be chosen in December.

Asked about the prospect of playing on home turf at this year’s tournament, McDavid said: “It would be unbelievable obviously. I was at Game 6 in the Montreal-Boston series at the Bell Centre, it was crazy. So I can’t imagine what it would be like for the world juniors.

“It was pretty tough not to imagine playing there with a whole bunch of screaming Canadians,” McDavid added. “But that’s getting down the road there. (We’ve) got to focus on what’s in front of us here.”

Two Canadiens prospects are taking part in the camp: goaltender Zach Fucale and forward Jeremy Grégoire.

(Photo by Allen McInnis/The Gazette)

Habs prospect Grégoire turning heads by Brenda Branswell

Team Canada camp roster

Team Canada camp schedule

Fucale and Grégoire at work, Canadiens.com

Subban, Eugenie Bouchard flirt on social media, Stu on Sports blog

You can watch a video from camp by Gazette photographer Allen McInnis:

1. B says:

I don’t know if there is any truth to the Bouillon rumour, but if any of kids can’t beat him out for a spot then they are not NHL ready yet.

–Go Habs Go!–

2. savethepuck says:

A lot of discussion on the speculation that Frankie B may be back. I honestly don’t see what the big deal would be. Him being signed would just be for depth. It would not be telling Beau, Tiny or Pateryn there is not a spot for you yet, it would be telling them we’re not just giving it to you. I remember when MB first hired Dudley and he was on TSN radio stating basically that it is better to have veterans in place and if the kids in camp make it impossible to send them down, then you deal with it. IMO as long as Boo is signed for less than 900 K, I could care less, it is not my money. If the kids prove in camp they definitely belong now, then you deal with it. I know there are a lot of you on here more knowledgeable about the CBA than I, but from what I know, if Frankie is put on waivers he is either picked up by another team, or sent to Hamilton in which case he may retire. Even if he is sent to Hamilton with a contract under 900 or 925 K, he doesn’t count against the Cap. Realistically would you rather have one of our top D prospects sitting in the press box as our 7th D instead of getting top minutes for the Bulldogs, or would you rather have Boo doing that. As of now there is a spot in the top 6 for 1 of the kids, in order for 2 of them to make it they will have to surpass Mike Weaver.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• shiram says:

I just read the piece on RDS, and I have to say I’m always weary when no one sticks their name in the piece.
      No author, no informant or anything.

• savethepuck says:

Maybe just a slow news day in the middle of summer?

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• shiram says:

It does drive traffic on their website, and it’s not a risky thing to put on there.
          Gotta fill the void now that PK is locked up.

• savethepuck says:

September can’t come quick enough .

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
            Carey Price

• shiram says:

Well yeah! But then I’m really enjoying summer also.
            Warm weather is great, and Montreal is a joy in the summer.
            Not so much in winter time.

3. shiram says:

I’m a francophone Habs fan, Therrien was not my candidate when the head coach was vacant, in fact, I had no one really in mind.

When he was announced, I was annoyed, I thought we could do better.

But it’s been many a hockey game since, and I’ve also watched both seasons of 24CH, and listened to many post game conferences, and while I could not say I like the guy, he’s grown on me, and for the most part his track record since re-joining the Habs speaks for itself.

In part it must be the assistant coaches, as they work as a team.
    But clearly he’s not the Therrien they had in Pittsburgh either, he’s changed.

And I think something similar can be said of Subban, he’s older, more experienced, faced media, critics and controversy in his time here, and seems to handle it good.
    His play on the ice is also less flashy.

I don’t need to find someone responsible, it’s sufficient for me to see these things. I’m sure Subban would have matured under another coach.

On Frankie Bouillon, I’ll sing the same song as been sung on here, like the guy, warrior and seems like a good guy/team-mate, but it seems to me going with youth or another FA might be best for the team.

Then again, it might do good to show some loyalty within the team.

4. Dunboyne Mike says:

@on2ndthought:

“(no data, just impression)”

If we were all honest enough to include that caveat with every post, every HIO thread would end up six pages longer!

Well my ark is completed, I am ready to start loading animals in pairs into the big boat. Holy Cow was that a crapload of rain yesterday, haven’t seen it come down like that before.

For a little while I wondered if the signing of PK to that huge contract brought on floods and was waiting to see locusts or frogs this morning.

All appears well in Habland, Alex is getting better, PK is signed and we can now dwell on Frankie B, always something for us to focus on.

CHeers everyone, have a good day.

• Cal says:

Enjoy the dog days, Burly. These too, shall pass.

• secretdragonfly says:

We were at our friends’ place in Burlington yesterday and had the dubious honour of watching their basement flood and their pool almost overflow. The drive home was an adventure, too. Think I’ll be buying a sump pump this week. Hope your abode escaped unscathed.

First time I had water in basement in 10 years since I landscaped the property to avoid such things. But compared to neighbours and friends of mine I escaped relatively easily. Nothings some fans and new drywall can’t repair. Thankfully my basement is carpet free and not professionally finished, more a storage area.

CHeers dragonfly, have a good day!

• Maritime Ronn says:

Burli
      I’ll invite you over for the next hurricane.
      Luckily, we dodged the bullet today/tomorrow with Bertha making a big east turn further out to sea

6. Slackman says:

Therrien is a good coach with a funny (in English at least) accent.

He will always be the whipping boy. Even if he wins us 3 cups in a row, people will still defer to his funny accent to explain why hes a bad coach.

What can ya do?

———————————————————————————–
    “A Gypsy mutant industrial vacuum cleaner dances about a mysterious night time camp fire. Festoons. Dozens of imported castanets, clutched by the horrible suction of its heavy duty hose, waving with marginal erotic abandon in the midnight autumn air.”

• Dudeskiman says:

Habs will never win a cup with him as a bench coach. Ask the Pens.

• Slackman says:

Bruins will never win a cup with [Claude Julien] as a bench coach. Ask the Habs.

———————————————————————————–

I think 3 Cups in a row would do wonders to stopping much of the angst, even Timo might praise him then.

I didn’t like the hiring, I still struggle to say “I Like Him as our Coach”, but he appears to be doing a very good job. So I can’t justify complaining about him. He appears to be the perfect enigma for us Habs fans.

• Dudeskiman says:

Jacques Lemaire always said show me a great goalie and I will show you a good coach…take away Price last year and the Habs do not even make the playoffs. I know there are too many people here that do not want to say something negative about one of our own, but Therrien does not have the ability, talent or the intelligence to be coaching in the NHL. He is a one dimensional coach who is constantly being out coached especially when the chips are down. Price did alot to camouflage this.

In any event, Geoff Molson has now spoken about what is most important going forward for the Habs. HINT: It ain’t Therrien. Geoff will tolerate him because he is a francophone and the French media need their heroes even if these heroes are losers. However, I’d like to see MT try and bench PK this season…

Watching the Habs implode against Ottawa two years ago, I was very very frustrated with MT. I recognize team was ravaged with injuries, but I felt that MT lost his cool and the team had that game with all the fights and too me it was reminiscent of the old MT and that he lost his cool.

Last year, there were a few times when it looked the wheels were about to fall off, and voila things turned around. The gameplan for the Boston series was excellent, the team was very solid in the Tampa series. The New York series was not good. Yes without Price, but team looked uninspired, out of gas and seemed to lack gameplan.

But the team did well to achieve Conference Finals, I see no reason for him to not have the opportunity to remain as coach. I am not sure how much of the Ranger games can fall on MT, team shot its load with Boston I think, and its hard to blame them. As a fan, I thought we won the Cup beating the Bruins. That was a tough series, and important.

I still don’t love MT, but support the decision that he remains Head Coach.

• Dudeskiman says:

Al stoutly reasoned, but I feel he had many failures last year as well. PK regressed under his coaching (it boggles my mind to hear him say that PK made Team Canada because of MT’s coaching). Eller also regressed until MT finally gave him some real wingers come playoff time. It seemed that every time Eller started to get it together MT would deliberately mess up his linemates. Someone really needs to explain how Eller was well coached last year. Finally, Briere, albeit a moronic hire in the first place, was constantly being set up to fail. Playing as a winger or on the fourth line frankly betrays MT’s lack of intelligence as a coach. (Watch how Roy handles him this year – I suspect it will be another clear indication of why MB should have considered Roy much more seriously than he did.)

Anyway, these are three very weak coaching decisions made by MT. There were many more but these will stand out.

I will agree that MT’s best of the year was the Bruins series. Given our lack of firepower that was really the only way to play them. However, the Bruins lack of discipline was also a big factor. Marchand might be blamed by many but the environment is being created by Julien. Ergo MT did out coach CJ.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Your posts are a good example of how pre-conceived notions and perception colours interpretation of the facts. Coaching or lineup decisions are rarely black and white, right or wrong, they’re a question of degrees, but on HIO every move by Michel Therrien is met with incredulity, hostility, resentment. Until it turns out to be a good decision, at which point some grudgingly concede the point, and wait for the next decision to jump all over him.

Just as an example, you rely on the fact that Daniel Brière was used on the wing, instead of his natural centre position, as proof of Michel Therrien’s incompetence.

In fact, that’s exactly what Daniel Brière was signed by Marc Bergevin to do, to play the wing. During the season, it became obvious that he was unable or uncomfortable filling that role, so he was as a last resort put into the lineup as a fourth-line centre, to have him available for powerplay and special situations. And it worked, he was able to pitch in a couple of important goals in the playoffs.

With the Avs, they got him to get some depth and flexibility at centre, with the loss of Paul Stasny this summer. So if he ends up at centre in their lineup, it doesn’t prove that Patrick Roy is smarter or a better coach, just that he has a need at that position, whereas the Canadiens/Michel Therrien’s need was at right wing.

Not hammering you or picking on you, but it kind of shows the issue I was discussing earlier, that the narrative is different on HIO versus other French social media. HIO is very uncharitable, whereas the French sites are much more forgiving.

7. Maritime Ronn says:

Michel Therrien:

Pro sports is all about winning – and if you are not winning, you better be over-achieving and not having your players quit on you.

Therrien took over a 28th placed team in a big mess.

Did he over-achieve in 2012-13?
    Habs made the playoffs when most of the experts had them around 20th.
    Did the players quit? Not even close.

What about last year?
    Did they over-achieve with the talent given to the Coach?
    Of course they did….and one can only dream what may have happened with a healthy Carey Price.

As for playing rookies “So they can learn”…the NHL is not the place for that.
    The NHL is not hockey Kindergarten.
    Young or old, you have to prove you belong ‘in the now’ – you have to prove you are better than the guy fighting for the same job.

As GMMB has stated on several occasions, “it’s not my decision, it’s for the players to make the decision if they belong.”

8. HabFab says:

Some funny stories from NHL arbitration hearings… or not;

9. HabFab says:

McCarron among 15 players cut from the U20 US WJC team today;

• Kooch7800 says:

Wow, never good when you are cut this early.

Yah a bit disconcerting, but I still think his size is almost a detriment at this point. But I think it will all come together, this year is Junior is huge for him, and hopefully he uses this setback as a hunger to get better, particularly the skating.

• Kooch7800 says:

I think the habs and he himself knows he has a long way to go. This I am sure will be extra motivation as you note. In the World Jr tourney skating is huge and his speed isn’t there yet.

He has mentioned that he recognizes that and he is trying to work on it.

• D Man says:

I remember when Peter Mahovlich was playing for the Jr. Hamilton Red Wings. People were saying that as awkward as he appeared he would mature and his co-ordination would improve. It did, no? We can always hope for similar results with NcCarron.

You can’t be both a Habs and a Leafs fan

• MeanGoh says:

To even make the camp is still tremendous achievement considering the kind of season he had last season..

10. DipsyDoodler says:

Speaking of petitions, is anyone interested in petitioning our Gazette overlords to upgrade the site software?

There’s the seemingly random blocking of posts, the slowdowns during games, the difficulty of keeping specific discussions going, the laughably bad mobile version. Have I missed anything?

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• Mavid ® says:

I am all for it..but I am sure the mods have read the countless complaints on here so I am not sure it would even work. Doesn’t hurt to try. The I pad app has never worked I use the browser instead

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Cal says:

There’s no money to be made improving it, I am guessing.
      I’ve believed The Gazette’s viability has been at stake for a few years now. WordPress has closed down their printing facility in NDG and is now outsourcing. How much longer until The Gazette is digital only?
      It’s tough to convince people under 30 that they should pay for good information by subscribing, but it’s a tough sell. They are used to free everything on the internet and won’t pay for anything save their smart phones.

11. HabFab says:

Noticed on twitter that Edmonton has hired an “advanced stats analyst” also. Apparently makes 3 teams so far this summer.

12. Un Canadien errant says:

Just as an example of the two solitudes we are, the English-speaking fans versus the French-speaking fans, I’ve read three or four comments on RDS and La Presse which laud Michel Therrien for his handling of P.K. Subban, how he’s now a much more disciplined player, less likely to make a big goof or a selfish play, and brought up as evidence is his Norris Trophy and selection to the Olympic Team, among other facts. The coach is brought up as a big reason P.K. got his long-term deal in the first place, not a hurdle, a capricious buffoon who’d bench him on a whim.

So what HIO or EOTP sees as incontrovertible evidence of Michel Therrien’s ineptitude doesn’t translate well, there is a fair amount of subjectivity.

Personally, I’m not a great fan of the person, but I see a coach who’s changed, who works hard to overcome his weaknesses, who’s much more in control, and who gets wins and results, so it’s hard for me to fault him.

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

• HabFab says:

Yeah! But he is still French- speaking :P

Seriously though… agree that Therrien has made changes and adjustments in his persona and coaching techniques.

• JUST ME says:

There is a definite difference in point of views. I must admit though that the positive view of M.T. `s job is closer to reality than the hatred we read here.
      What i find unfair is that he is judged for actions he made in the past and if you ask anyone, everyone deserves a second chance. Reality is that he gets dumped on for everything. A bit below this post someone blames him for not playing Tinordi and or Beaulieu more when actually it was Bergevin`s decision to keep them in Hamilton and have them working hard on their game, playing major minutes and all…But it`s M.T.`s fault !

About the P.K. `s treatment, it`s funny how people here are ready to admit that he has a few flaws in his game but not ready to say that it needed to be adressed as Therrien did with him.

Mostly what i really do not understand is that dozens of time last season he proved us he knew his team by trying things we blamed him for but he ended up right after all . He doesn`t even get the credit for it !

Perfect example of the damn if you do, damn if you don`t old saying.

• John Q Public says:

Fire the bum!

• Donkey Hoat says:

My take on that:
      The disparity in opinion on Michel Therrien, drawn along linguistic/cultural lines, has a lot to do with the team being forced to look among only French-speaking coaches as a possible hire.
      Quebecois may feel better about it, but I think many non-Francos resent that language has become part of the hiring process.
      That kind of thinking would pre-empt the signing of a Mike Babcock or Darryl Sutter one day.
      Still, I can’t argue with the Coach’s results.

• JF says:

I wasn’t a fan of the person ten years ago, but I’ve become one in the last couple of years. I see a guy who has become a lot more humble and who learns from his mistakes, a guy who is passionate about hockey and sincere. Not particularly articulate in either language, he nevertheless manages to get his point across – most of the time (although I wish we could all forget his gaffe about making players better people). He works hard, he’s willing to make changes when things aren’t going well, and some of his decisions seem positively inspired. He’s a very good coach.

I actually lean more towards the opinions you cite posted on the francophone sites than towards those most commonly expressed here. P.K. needed disciplining and to some extent still does. He needs to improve his decision-making. His potential is sky-high, but he’s not there yet. Don’t forget that Marc Bergevin has also indicated at times that he thinks P.K. is a work in progress.

• New says:

I like your viewpoint. There is no reason Therrien can not get better at his job and no reason PK can’t get better at his. One thing a year. Maybe this season PK could shoot better than 108th amongst Dmen. A little accuracy and the whole PP improves.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Therrien is a different coach now from earlier in his career.

He has had success since returning to the Habs.

Some of his decisions annoy some/many/all Habs fans. Can’t wait til we get the coach who doesn’t do that.

It’s a pity if language is interfering with objectivity.

Insisting on a franco coach DOES drastically reduce the pool.

Winning 1 Cup — let alone 3 — would have Timo saying rude things about any persistent MT-Deniers.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Insisting on a franco coach DOES drastically reduce the pool.

Theoretically it does, but practically we’ve found that this isn’t the case. If anything, the Canadiens have a competitive advantage, having an ear close to the ground in a field left fallow by almost every other organization.

Looking at the last francophone Canadiens coaches, Alain Vigneault, Michel Therrien, Claude Julien, Jacques Martin, they all found employment after being let go by the Habs, so it’s not as if they were incompetent and only got work due to their French language ability. The only one who didn’t find work was Guy Carbonneau, and nobody objected when he was named the head coach.

Also, I think if we take the long-term view, it helps the team to develop and reinforce ties with the clientele it serves. It creates a bunch of little hockey players who want to grow up big and strong and wear the bleu-blanc-rouge.

***Re-posted from April 22***

When posters say that the only reason the Canadiens hire a francophone coach, or sign Québécois players, is so that media types don’t have to go through the trouble of translating the interviews, it reveals a profound ignorance about how much of a barrier language is. They’re immersed in an anglophone culture, with Canada and the U.S. able to communicate freely. They don’t run up against the obstacles francophones do. If they want to know what Céline Dion or Claude Giroux think or say, they can hear it first-hand, because most media personalities from Québec learn to speak English. The reverse isn’t true. A kid from Sorel who speaks French can’t hear 50 Cent or LeBron James has to say, he can’t communicate with him directly.

Anyone watching 24 CH gets a glimpse of this. When the team made a trip to Lac Mégantic, the players who got the most attention, and could share the most with the fans, were the francos, David Desharnais, Daniel Brière, Francis Bouillon. The coach, Michel Therrien, is seen in a ‘bain de foule’, signing autographs, comfortably exchanging with residents. There is a scene where Daniel Brière is speaking with workers and volunteers at the arena, and they’re explaining what happened during the tragedy, which areas were affected, etc. It’s a moment of humanity that happens because Daniel can speak with these guys directly, and which wouldn’t happen with Ryan White or Kyle Turris.

Another moment is when P.K. meets with the young boy who got hit by his errant shot a few weeks ago. P.K. goes the extra mile, calls the family, invites them to another game, and meets with them afterward. Now, P.K. has a million watt personality, and tries to engage with the kids, who are agog at meeting their hero in the flesh, but unfortunately they don’t speak English, and the parents have to translate. It’s still a moment the kids will remember forever, but comparatively less special than it could have been had P.K. managed to learn to speak French, as Ken Dryden and Bob Gainey and Steve Shutt and Larry Robinson did, just enough to hold a basic conversation.

I met a few of the Expos as a kid, I was there with my Little League team, and we got autographs, but none of us spoke English, and none of the Expos spoke French, so it was all orchestrated by intermediaries, and was a little wooden and stilted. I loved the Expos, but the Canadiens, they were special to me, they were mine, I could identify with them a lot more.

So the difference between Ginette Reno and Kate Smith is that a kid from San Diego or Tallahassee can identify with and understand Philadelphia’s good-luck charm, but the kid from Sorel can’t. It’s goes beyond the ‘local singer’ angle.

It’s the ‘hiring a French coach is a problem, we should hire the best-qualified people’ meme that’s the red herring.

The policy has forced the Canadiens over the years to hire obviously unqualified candidates such as Pat Burns, Alain Vigneault, Claude Julien, and Michel Therrien, who were so far out of their element that they were fired, and quickly washed out of the league, never to re-appear. Right?

The idea that there’s a ‘best-qualified’ candidate that can be objectively determined, who will receive a determinate score of 98 while all others score in the 70′s and 80′s, is a fallacy, and flies in the face of the realities of recruiting and people management.

Thought experiment: is there a best-available candidate to manage a restaurant, objectively, or many that are suitable, with some strong on experience, some on youthful enthusiasm and fresh ideas, some on hitting the numbers, some on motivating and training and retaining staff? And then is it just a question of figuring out what your priorities are, and hiring the manager that will be the best fit?

What about if your restaurant is in Montréal or Toronto or Shanghai, is the objectively-best candidate one and the same? Do you tailor your choice based on your staff and clientele?

13. Max_a_million says:

Looking at next summer there will be interesting cap issues arising. We are pretty locked into this team for two years.

Next year 4 million comes off the books in Budaj, Malhotra, and Weaver. All three will need to be replaced if they aren’t re-signed as well. So if there is any savings it would need to be by getting three players for these roles that add up to less than 4 million.
    Tinordi, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Bournival, Beaulieu are all RFA’s. They currently make a shade over 4 million. Gallagher will certainly command a good raise, probably Galchenyuk as well.
    We have about 2.5 million in cap space, and MB is one to sign another veteran d-man.

So 10.5 million + cap rise to sign (or call up)
    1 goalie
    2 d-men
    1 centre
    5 RFA’s
    It’s certainly tight.

2016 – 20.5 million comes off the books. This should be our next big change.

14. Phil C says:

Is Bouillon even the best depth defensemen available? Guys like Sarich, Corvo, and Salo are still looking for a job and might accept something similar to what they would have to pay Cube rather than be unemployed. Or even Jovanovski or Morris or Tallinder. Maybe these guys want too much money.

15. Louisville says:

If the Cube is back next year it is because of MT’s penchant for playing veterans way beyond their best before date. Not only should the Cube be gone but Prust should no longer be playing in the NHL. He has been pretty useless these last 2 seasons. Not only does this stupid coaching strategy hurt the team by icing weak players, it hurts the team because young players that should have much more ice time don’t get it. Tinordi should by now be NHL ready, but he isn’t. Beaulieu should now be NHL ready, but he isn’t. These are serious coaching and management deficiencies. MB’s inept handling of PK has exposed him for what he is as well. Only Geoff’s intervention at the 11th hour saved the day there. Looks like we are stuck with the Keystone Cop tandem of MT and MB for the foreseeable future, but I suspect GM will be paying much closer attention going forward.

• Loop_Garoo says:

That is one of the most morose and negative comments I have read here. NB is ready, showed that relatively clearly last year. Prust is valuable when healthy, and there is nothing wrong with the way Therrien “handled” PK.

16. Slackman says:

So I just finished reading The Green Mile.

I cried a little.

• FormalWare says:

I’ve been impressed (if not floored) by everything I’ve read of Stephen King’s. Which comprises perhaps 1% of his oeuvre; the man is so bloody prolific!

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

• Cal says:

King’s short stories are 1000 x better than his novels. The man simply repeats too much.

• southaltahab says:

His earlier novels like Salem’s Lot, The Dead Zone, Christine and Fire Starter are some of my favorites. I think The Stand and IT are as good as it gets for that type of story telling. Agree with Cal about his short stories. Some of the best ever written. Never got into the Dark Tower series.

• Mavid ® says:

The Stand was IMO his best work..I have not read anything past Bag of Bones..The only book of his I could not finish was Insomnia it just did not do it for me. Loved his short stories..don’t forget one of the best was the Shawshank Redemption..I also loved the Green Mile…if you didn’t cry a little your probably not human..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

17. Maritime Ronn says:

Advanced stats are a good tool, but is the NFL going too far……and is the NHL far behind?
    Is this just too much?

Headline:
    Player-tracking system will let NFL fans go deeper than ever

Clearer answers than ever before are coming to your TV screen this fall — and it’s only the beginning of the NFL’s foray into player tracking and advanced statistics that could change the way fans, and even teams, look at what happens on the field.

“The NFL partnered with Zebra Technologies, which is applying the same radio-frequency identification (RFID) technology that it has used the past 15 years to monitor everything from supplies on automotive assembly lines to dairy cows’ milk production

Every NFL player will wear two tiny sensors in his shoulder pads this season in the first “live” phase of a project the league hopes will enhance the in-stadium experience as well, with further media expansion and integration with teams’ existing training technology likely down the line.

Work is underway to install receivers in 17 NFL stadiums, each connected with cables to a hub and server that logs players’ locations in real time. In less than a second, the server can spit out data that can be enhanced graphically for TV broadcasts with the press of a button.

• Un Canadien errant says:

One of the ways the NFL is the No Fun League is related to how much control the coaches have over the players. Sure, a Don Coryell or Bill Walsh should be able to dictate play, he’s a couple steps ahead of the other guy on the other sideline, but generally there is not much room for improvisation and ‘play’ in that league. Which again is fine if you have Andy Dalton or Alex Smith as your quarterback, but really detracts from the fans’ enjoyment when you have a Doug Flutie or Michael Vick or RG III under center, and he’s not allowed to free-wheel and wow us.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Some guys have autonomy to change things up like the Mannings or Brady, Brees, Rothlisberger, Rogers…

Lots goes on in a game not picked up by the cameras.
        A few times I sat about 5 rows behind the bench.
        When the offence is off the field, faxes are sent down from above to study D formations be that line-LBs or pass protection that may be a wrinkle from the past tapes studied.
        Each unit gets together to figure it out.
        As for the No Fun League, respectfully disagree.

• Cal says:

For football, aside from replays up the wazoo including isolated views of certain players, what the hell does this accomplish? Nothing much, except if you’re curious to see how fast that route was run by the WR.
      For hockey, it will tell you who goes to the net and when. (Which coaches using video like they have for the past 30 years already know.) For the fan, it’ll mean a tad more info. For the analytics folks, it’s another piece of tech to drool on.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Another application I can think of is in zone-blocking schemes for offensive linemen, to track if they’re in the right position on a particular play. Same for zone defences, to see if your middle linebacker covered his area, and the strong safety, etc.

• Cal says:

Video replay tells them that already.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Agreed that video serves quite well for that. I’m thinking there must be some perceived need for this service, some technical nicety that it brings, although I’m lost to figure it out too.

• John Q Public says:

The sheeple will come to accept it as commonplace.
      It’s in so many places that you don’t even realize it’s there.
      However I have often wondered why it’s not in the puck or a sensor, so as to realize when it’s crossed the goal line.

18. Sportfan says:

Reasons why the Jays wouldn’t budge at the trade deadline!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

19. One post in July and one here in August.

Overpaid for PK by 2 mil, but at least Therrien can’t bench him now for common mistakes.

Mr. Gallant off to Florida and and stacked the staff with PE Islanders, so you know the panthers are headed in the right direction.

Carey Price is still our most important player, no one should make more than him.

Spent the summer in PEI, ate 12 lbs of lobster, 3 lbs of potatoes, 2 lbs of steak, and got rained on exactly twice the entire summer. I never saw PEI so hot before.

My next adventure is 16 Oct when Milan Lucic and Brad Marchand comes to Montreal, I hope to be sitting dead center ice in 201…..wouldn’t miss this game for the world. Avs are in town two nights later. Gonna be a great habs week!

Going to Toronto Zoo this afternoon (in Cornwall now), and then Jays tonight, staying downtown with the two little ones….well one little one, Matthew is 5’6” so we are now equals haha.

See you in September the next monthly post. Amazing summer…..oh yes. I am sitting down town Charlottetown (July) and I met up with a team of Winnipeg flag football players and parents. Small World :)

GO HABS GO…….Sherbak is one great prospect, I can’t believe he went that low…..everyone will be very happy with him. I hope goes back to the WHL so I can continue to watch him.

Shane Oliver
    @sholi2000
    A Little fun during the Intermission
    Brandon Predators End Season Video

20. Maritime Ronn says:

Re Bouillon
    Jun 25, 2014 – …..Montreal Canadiens are expected to meet with Francis Bouillon’s agent Don Meehan to discuss….

Don Meehan?
    Franky, if he’s still your agent today, you might want to rethink that position.
    Then again, nothing is ever personal in business….or so the many times misguided saying goes.

21. HabFab says:

Not sure about this Boullion rumour. We have 5 veterans and 4 kids with NHL experience chopping at the bit to play already.

22. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning all! Many reasons to smile this morning. Irish Mike is back and of course the continued good news on Alex.

Did Timmins find a diamond in the rough with this Grégoire kid? Brenda’s article sure indicates it.

23. DipsyDoodler says:

I was having my morning coffee and decided to have a peak at the Washington Capitals. What a mess!

* Fired GM Mike McPhee, replaced him with someone with no experience as GM.

* Remember that Martin Erat for Filip Forsberg head scratcher? Well, they traded Erat to Phoenix for essentially nothing (a young player with no hope of making it to the NHL and Rostislav Klesla who they traded to Buffalo for Halak who is now gone). In short, first round pick Forsberg traded for nothing – not even a draft pick.

* Brooks Laich $4.5M. Brooks Orpik $5.5M. You have two players called Brooks who are terrible. For $10M per year.

* Signed Matt Niskanen for $5.75M for 7 years.

* Traded Michal Neuvirth for Jaro Halak who they let go as a UFA.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• Cal says:

The buggers will probably have their best season ever just to leave us all in a state of bewilderment.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Dipsy. I wonder if we’ll eventually see the blowing up of this team, starting with moving the Great Eight?

• Maritime Ronn says:

Trotz will do good stuff with that team

As for their new GM Brian MacLellan, he was AGM for the past 7 years and is a good hockey man and won a Cup playing with Calgary in 1989 and also has an MBA.
      Marc Bergevin had no experience as a GM before the Habs, and neither did Stan Bowman, Peter Chiarelli. They have all done a good job.

Bad trades? I think a lot of teams can say they have had a few McDtrades they’d like to forget….

• Loop_Garoo says:

I really liked both Laich and Orpic a few years ago, other than that it is fairly amazing how bad they’ve been.

• JUST ME says:

When you look at it as you do it does seem out of control in Washington but i think that they finally made the long overdue move to get rid of McPhee who was destroying that organization like no one else in the league.
      I think that with the choice of Barry Trotz as their new coach is the key move. He will put a system in place and help management better define their needs wich McPhee screwed up every season without any real vision. Tough times ahead but at least now they will know where they belong and work from there.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I have Mike McPhee on the brain too, wish we had a modern day version of him on our roster, a big, fast, speedy, tough, disciplined winger who could adjust pretty much anyone’s attitude, and score twenty goals a season, but the Caps’ GM was George McPhee.

24. Dunboyne Mike says:

Always loved Frankie — fearless, how he plays bigger than his size, the depth of his commitment — and loved a lot of what he did last spring. I’m not hockey-smart enough to know if it would have been better to give Tinordi all that TOI in the interests of gaining playoff experience. Perhaps it would have been.

However, given the direction in which the team is now heading, given the club’s renewed commitment to Markov as the veteran leadership on D, I think even us die-hard Frankie fans would have to admit that it would be a mistake for him to take a roster spot again this coming year.

He clearly wants to continue playing, and there are plenty of teams in transition who are not yet knocking on the door of the playoffs who would benefit greatly from what he brings. Teams that I would like more if he were on them.

• Habfan10912 says:

Hiya Mike! I’m shaking my head at this. Unlike you I wasn’t very fond of Frankie taking minutes away from our younger dman last season. Not sure what the thought is here at all.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Last season was the cautious year for Marc Bergevin, and he was proven right, since Jarred and Nathan had a very poor first half of the season, certainly compared to our expectations. I didn’t mind Francis playing, if they youngsters didn’t assert themselves, which they didn’t.

This year, I return to the fact that Marc Bergevin stated he didn’t mind taking a step back, and how that is in opposition to any plan to bring back Francis. Of course, his statement was in reference to the ‘open’ right wing roster spot, when he discussed Jiri Sekac, Jacob de la Rose or Sven Andrighetto as candidates for an NHL job. His patience/recklessness may not extend to the defenceman position, maybe he wants to play it real safe there.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Hey Jim!

“Do you even watch hockey?!”
        (sorry! — I just love that particular response to disagreement!)

Like I said, I don’t know enough, and your assessment could well be the better one. Maybe it comes down to the (imponderable) question, would we have made it to the semifinals with Tinordi instead of Bouillon? Followed by the corollary question: which is more valuable – going deep or giving important newcomers playoff experience?

I doubt there are hard-and-fast answers, and every club is likely to have different philosophies.

• Cal says:

Hope you had a great vacay, Dunby. I’d like The Cube back as a Dman coach in Hamilton, to be honest. I liked his gumption, too, as he was able to play a hard hitting tough game as well as chip in occasionally. His age works against him finding another NHL gig as a player, but you never know.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Donald Dufresne is the defenceman coach in Hamilton, so we don’t really have an opening, but generally I wouldn’t be against bringing Francis into the org as coach or in another function, for sure.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Hey Cal — brilliant holiday, many thanks.

Easy to imagine Frankie as good coaching material. Wouldn’t it be great if he could stay within the organisation?

You’re right about his age, but it’s typical of him that he wants to keep playing and believes he can.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Remember what GMMB always says:
      “You never have enough defencemen.”

Injuries are a fact of life in the NHL, and the ‘devil you know’ veteran is sometimes better that the devil you don’t know.
      Several NHL teams last year had 2-3-4 of their Top 6 Dmen out at the same time.

Looking at the Habs roster, there are 5 veterans and 2 young unknowns in terms of being able to play a full season ( Beaulieu-Tinordi)
      Only Drewiske in Hamilton has some NHL game experience

There may be a way around this with the little Cap Space left.
      A 2 way/ NHL minimum $575K contract offer that doesn’t take an immediate roster spot.
      Take it or leave it.

There are still some UFAs out there, yet it’s hard to know their dollar desires and what their ‘stories’ are:
      Guys like Del Zotto-Corey Sarich- Dereck Morris…the complete list here:

• JF says:

I like the idea of the two-way contract. Bouillon would then be available if needed without taking a roster spot for 82 games. He is tough as nails and a clutch player.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Perhaps the only way he gets a 1way is if there are multiple long term training camp injuries.
          If there are not injuries, a 1 way would almost be irresponsible

• Un Canadien errant says:

Whether one-way or two-way contract, a player can always be sent down to the minors. The only thing that affects is the cap hit, anything over a million approx. stays on the NHL team’s salary total.

A proud veteran who had a lengthy career is unlikely to accept/be offered a two-way, I don’t think the Canadiens would subject him to that. Of course, they did offer one to Mathieu Darche his last season, but he refused, and chose to retire, not wanting to uproot his family, his wife being in the last year of a degree at school, etc.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Agreed, but a 1 way involves an AHL salary equivalent to the NHL salary.
            See Davis Drewiske this year and his $650K salary to most probably play in Hamilton this year.
            That’s a lot of Molson beer and popcorn sales

• Kooch7800 says:

Not a chance the cube accepts a two-way contract. He could play in the NHL and is still NHL worthy for sure. Not sure he is the best fit for the habs with the current cap space as well as looking to develop talent.

Pateryn is already 24. They need to start getting him in or let him go elsewhere.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Maybe so, yet it would take injuries by NHL clubs for that to happen.
          They also have youngsters that need playing time.
          Then the personal question. Does he want to uproot his young family?
          $200K in Hamilton with some ‘sick days’ when the team goes on a long road trip….and a nice + $575K NHL contract isn’t a bad option.

• Kooch7800 says:

I think you mean nice option for you or I. That would be a million dollar decrease in pay for him with no guarantee’s of playing in Montreal. Hamilton is still 6 hours from Montreal so he would still be uprooting his family if he was demoted.

he is a competitor and will want to play

• Kooch7800 says:

under wrong post

• Un Canadien errant says:

Just a technical point, but Greg Pateryn has had a few NHL games two seasons ago.

Francis Bouillon made $1.5M last season, it’s hard to believe he’d accept a minimum deal, or that it would be offered to him. I think the Canadiens would re-up him at that wage if they wanted him.

Generally, I’d like the Canadiens to rely on their internal depth, all their kids in Hamilton, for depth, even with a rash of injuries, and even if they’re not quite ready for full-time work at the NHL level. If it gets out of hand, there are lots of veterans who can be signed in season.

• Kooch7800 says:

I do realize that Pateryn has a couple NHL games a couple seasons ago. I am not sure why he didn’t get any last year. In Hamilton he was pretty steady and to me looked more NHL ready than Tinordi.

I realize that Tinordi is a higher ranked prospect but I do think Pateryn could be a decent bottom pairing D man down the road. Beaulieu I think will be on the team this year out of camp.

• Un Canadien errant says:

We agree. On the right side, we have P.K., Tom Gilbert, and Mike Weaver, who may be on his last legs. Greg Pateryn and Magnus Nygren have a very real opportunity, especially if injuries strike, and the other kids in Hamilton can all take a corresponding step up the depth chart.

The left side is more locked down, with Jarred and Nathan vying for the third-pairing slot, and Davis Drewiske a threat to take a #7 job while the odd-man out gets sent down to Hamilton to get minutes.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hey Ireland
      Back from your journeys?
      :-)

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Thanks, MR. Yes, all home safe and sound. Great hol. My (Toronto-based) sister and family will be vacationing not too far from you (relatively speaking; New River Beach, NB) in a couple of weeks. Hope your summer’s going well.

• Cal says:

Brian Gionta and Scott Gomez rented a suite for sick and underprivileged children to watch games at the Bell Centre. See? Gomez wasn’t all bad! ;)
      I believe this always goes on, with a player or two in on it.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Cal. I remember that and I think several Major League Baseball players and owners do the same in their cities. I remember Bobby Bonnila many years ago did something while he was with the Mets. BTW he’s still being paid by that fine organization. Jeez.

• Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

I know Wade Redden did while in Ottawa. Believe Chris Phillips does too. I’m expecting P.K. will do something grand like paying off the debt of some third world country.

~~ You’ve been spun ~~

• Loop_Garoo says:

Koivu gave a lot to, I seem to recall a one time $2,000,000 donation to a cancer centre after his return.

• DipsyDoodler says:

If Liverpool relied only on employed scousers as its fanbase they’d be playing to a half empty stadium.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• Un Canadien errant says:

A few Canucks have done this as a group or individually, Trevor Linden being the most prominent/generous among them. I believe the Sedin brothers also have a suite that is used by underprivileged children, or is auctioned to raised money for other charities.

25. Mavid ® says:

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

26. Cal says:

A new hockey thread up and it’s the 5th of August. Sweet.
    (Thank heaven the junior camp is on or the crickets would get too loud.)

27. Rad says:

So Trevor Timmins calls Jeremy Gregoire a “gem,” and the 6th Rounder is already signed to an ELC. That’s pretty encouraging, right? As I recall from last year, he scored very high on a number of fitness tests. Sounds like this kid is going to be a player.

28. habsgod says:

Hello everyone! My name is Mary-Lou. Im John smidt ( habsgods ) wife.i’m using his account , I just wanted to have the chance to thank everyone for everything you”ve done for my son alex. Thank you for all the prayers and get well wishes. Your support means the world to me and you all will always have a special place in my heart!! My boy was so happy the day Rob and his wife showed up at the hospital with those gifts and to see him,plus the basket he recieved from timo and family,i also want to thank a special man ian cobb for getiing alex and his dad tickets to the summit,and a special thank-you to everyone for wanting to help with airfare to the summit, He is looking so forward to the habs summit and to meet everyone and really wants to meet PK subban his favorite player to sign his jersey ,and today at the hospital he recieved a bunch of montreal canadiens hockey cards that he would love to have signed and the one on top is PK subban!………alex also said he’s going to get us to take his jersey in and we are going to get it named and numbered for him with 76 Subban…Alex still has a long road ahead of him to recover but all the love and support and prayers are helping through it all.and the trip to montreal is his motivation. Keep the prayers coming!! You’ve all made me a bigger habs fan than ever before because of everything you’ve done for alex and us;;Love you all from the bottom of my heart!!!

habsgod’s (John Smidt)wife….( Mary-Lou Thompson )

• Habilis says:

Really happy to read that Alex is back in Regina. Wishing only the best for you and your family going forward.

Keep it up little man, we’re all behind you.

• southaltahab says:

Terrific news. Hope the rest of Alex’s recovery goes smoothly. Good luck!

• Cal says:

Best news of the summer. All the best for you and your family, Mary-Lou.

• Habfan10912 says:

Mary-Lou – All of us here look forward to meeting Alex at the Summit. His story touched us all and I’m overjoyed at the news of his continued healing. Of course we will continue to keep him and your entire family in our thoughts and prayers.

HIO is a very special place indeed. We are like family here because of the work of the fine people at the Gazette and Ian. He is a special person. Rob and his wife and Timo, although I’ve never had the pleasure of meeting them personally have done us all proud. Wonderful kind-hearted gestures by these folks.

I hope Alex gets his PK autograph but I wonder if it isn’t Alex and your family whose autographs we should seek. Alex bravery and your love is what I idolize. A lesson on the real important things in life you have shared with us all.

CHeers,
      Jim

• Maritime Ronn says:

Wonderful news
      Please keep HIO and Ian informed.
      If a Summit presence is in the cards this year, the HIO folks will be there for you.

• Ian Cobb says:

Go Alex Go!
      You will be at the Summit when your doctor say’s you can travel, If not this year, then next year for sure!

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

• on2ndthought says:

Mary-Lou and John,
      Thanks for keeping us updated.
      Alex: keep fighting, tiger; you’ve got lots of fans here rooting you on!

“a cannonading drive”

29. habsgod says:

just wanted to let everyone know alex is back in regina still in the hospital and will be for the foreseeable futuure but he does get day passes to come home….he arrived home to the regina general hospital on saturday afternoon (4;30) our time 6;30 eastern time i met him at the hospital here with my sister in law who’s been amazing through this whole ordeal with our little alex! my wife drove home to regina with her mom who was with her and alex …so i was with alex and very very glad to see him and he was very glad to see me when he arrived he cried and said i love you dad i missed you! and told me all about the habs jersey,travel mug and night light and the basket he got from rob and alanye,and the basket from timo…he wanted to show it to me right away but he couldn’t as he said mommmy has it with her in the truck ! i told him he could show me as soon as she gets here hesaid all my canadiens pj’s and flag was with her too he said i’m scared of losing it on the plane so mommy will be bringing it with her…so when my wife arrived at 11;30 at night before he went to bed he had to show me his habs jersey,travel mug,night light and the basket he got from rob and his wife,and the basket timo gave him…he said dad i also forgot to tell you i got a canadiens watch from my aunty pat and uncle richard and showed it to me as well!
    alex is progressing nicely though his recovery is coming along slowly but is improving every day…he had the stitches that were a mile long removed today he stil has a to return to calgary in 6 -12 weeks to get the bone put back in his head after all the infection and swelling is gone…
    i told alex about the the hio trip to the summit in november and he’s bound and determined to go! lol but we’ve told him that if not we will go next year …he’s looking so forward to meeting all of you guys on here i’ll keep updating as his progress continues!

30. habsgod says:

hi everyone!

31. Un Canadien errant says:

Kind of shocked at the news Francis Bouillon might be signed to another one-year deal.

I think HIO is way, way too hard on him, some posters just unload on the guy like they do on David Desharnais, dogmatically, I thought he played well for what he was last year, a spare, depth defenceman who could move up in the lineup. I remember his opportune goals, and his taking on Derek Dorsett after his cheap shot on David Desharnais, and giving at least as good as he got in that tilt, as the narrative for his season.

Having said that, I thought it was time to move on, that bringing him back wasn’t even in question. I fail to see how he helps our roster next season.

Marc Bergevin said he was willing to take a step back next season, so there’s no reason to bring in a steady-eddie player who has very low upside and potential. If you’re contemplating a Cup run and think you need the depth, fine, but that’s antipodal to the stated acceptance of letting kids play and weathering the storm. Our kids, the guys in Hamilton, that’s our depth. If he brought in depth at forward we’d understand, but we’re swimming in depth on defence.

We have lots of young defencemen, the pipeline is full, so it’s not like we’re missing bodies. We have players who can take shifts on the third pairing, get their feet wet, move up the ladder. We need to relieve the congestion in Hamilton.

We have lots of veterans on the blue line already. Andrei Markov will lead the way. While new to the team, Tom Gilbert has seen it rain, been through a lot in his career, and can provide some direction to the youths. Mike Weaver seemed to integrate seamlessly to the team last season, and he’ll be back for another tour.

P.K. is one of the young veterans who’s expected to carry a larger load, we cleared out Brian Gionta and Josh Gorges to let these guys take a step forward. At 25, P.K. should ease off on the class clown antics and mix in some gravitas, be less of a line-soldier and more of a lieutenant to Andrei.

Even Alexei Emelin has lots of experience, with his time in the KHL, and now entering his fourth season. He has a language barrier to overcome, but leadership takes many forms. If he continues to train and play hard, recovers his game from two seasons ago now that he’s playing on the left, if he keeps battling hard against monsters like Milan Lucic, he’ll contribute to the leadership corps.

Strictly in terms of nuts and bolts, we have Andrei and Alexei to man the left side. Then we have two first-rounders who are on their last season of being exempt from waivers in Jarred Tinordi and Nathan Beaulieu. We need to play these guys this year, give them increased minutes and responsibility, in all situations. Next year we can’t hide them in Hamilton, it’s make or break this year.

So the idea that Francis Bouillon is in negotiations with the Canadiens sounds almost dubious. How much of a negotiation can there be in August? Wouldn’t it be just a take it or leave it situation? How much leverage does he have? How did the P.K. negotiation affect this in any way, as stated in the article? Doesn’t the deal with P.K. reduce the need for Francis even further, rather than clarify the picture, as it’s alleged? And if we suffer a spate of injuries, and the rookies just plain aren’t ready, we’re risking their development by playing them too soon at this level, couldn’t we just sign Francis off the street, later on in the fall?

This isn’t a Tomas Kaberle situation, a player I never liked, never wanted in bleu-blanc-rouge, who never fit in, never delivered, and who I wanted to be rid of as soon as he arrived. My skin won’t crawl seeing Francis wearing the CH, I’ll be happy for him. But I’ll wonder why he’s getting icetime, and why the youngsters are watching from the pressbox, like when Jaroslav Spacek was taking minutes away from Alexei Emelin, Raphaël Diaz and Yannick Weber.

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

• ProHabs says:

I agree with this ^

• Marc10 says:

Exactly.

Look at the logjam on D…

– Beaulieu (graduated)
      – Tinordi
      – Pateryn
      – Drewiske
      – Nygren
      – Bennett
      – Dietz
      – Thrower
      – Ellis

Did I forget any…?

It’s a bit absurd to think they’d need or want to sign Cube when a 7th D spare part can be called up at will. What’s 8 minutes of ice time worth really?!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Reading Sean Pronger’s “Journeyman” right now, and there’s a facet we sometimes miss, which is that AHL’ers live for the callup, even if it’s for a short while. They love being in the NHL, the glitz, the luxurious travel, the paycheque, it’s a reward for them to get called up. All the Bulldogs who are diligently working on their game now will see Francis as just another roadblock, another reason they don’t get to the show.

I’m an uninformed fan, but I think the Habs should rely on their youngsters for short-term injury coverage, show the kids that their hard work will bear fruit.

• Loop_Garoo says:

Keep in mind, only at best 2 of those NB and Tiny(well, we should include Drewiski too) have shown they can play in the NHL, and the bottom on that list have basically no chance at all of playing this year for the habs, not close to ready. Nygren=maybe, but personally I don’t think he ever plays a regular season game for Montreal as there is no room for him, with or without Cube.

• Sportfan says:

Why the heck would we use up any of our cap space for him, he’s useless now. Weaver is a much better player than him and we have him locked up, can he just go back to Nashville already haha, but seriously NO.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• habsgod says:

no god not boullion…..

• rhino514 says:

Ah, tomas Kaberle.
      For all of the criticism Gauthier received during his tenure, does he not deserve credit for the Cammalleri trade?
      I was sh&tting bricks when they exchanged Mr. Clutch for Mr. Lazy and thought they would rue the day. But we got a big body who, come playoff time, can´t be neutralized the way smaller cplayers could be. I´m not saying he will score 8 goals in every postseason, but at least he can contribute.
      We saved a pretty big amount in salary, and if I am not mistaken, we ended up getting De La Rose with the pick in the deal, who, though not a grade A prospect, seems to be right now the most promising player (again, because of his size) among our pool of forward prospects. Could he be another Eller in the making?
      More importantly, The Goat began the process of addressing the size issue on the team, which though overblown by many on here, does (or did, to a larger degree) exist.

• Loop_Garoo says:

RB also had 2 27 goal seasons right before that trade, and had actually outscored Cammy collectively for the last 3 years prior. It was not that bad of a gamble at the time.

• franco says:

Errant, yes you may think it is ‘antipodal’ to think in terms of having a guy like Boulion (cheap) at the ready to fill in for injuries.

To depend on youngsters when you are trying to get into the playoffs would not be wise.

It is very wise to have a reliable , uncomplaining player that you can use if the need should arise.

He would be a steadying influence on the younger players and settle them down on occasion.

Ice time is nice for the younger player, but they sometimes need a time out to settle down.

You need depth, and yes I am antipodal, but that is the way of the world sometimes.

He could get picked up and that would be bad, by someone that realizes his use.

Can’t have too many defensemen, they say, and giving him the nod when you are having injuries and many games in a row and on the road might be wise. A guy that does not panic and knows his role.

32. John Q Public says:

I’d take Murray over Boullion.

• ProHabs says:

and I agree with this ^

• Marc10 says:

Only for very specific match ups (ie, the Bruins at the Garden). Otherwise Cube is twice the player Murray is.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Agreed, but I agree with John Q. also. Francis Bouillon brings little to the table that we don’t already have, whereas Douglas Murray’s great size and ability to temper the Nick Folignos and Wayne Simmonds in net-front scrums is something we don’t really have on our roster. Jarred Tinordi can be that guy, maybe even next year, but we don’t know that yet, he hasn’t shown it, just the potential.

• Marc10 says:

Yes. Good point. That’s definitely one of my worries. Add to Simmonds and Foligno a dozen more guys and we’ll be back to the bad old days of thugs taking liberties on Carey. Murray kept a lot of folks honest and I appreciated his contribution for that.

Recall Murray was specifically brought in to avoid the free for all beatdown we suffered at the hands of the Sens or the Leafs. In my books, he accomplished his mission. Tiny should be brought in to do more of the same.

• habstrinifan says:

You have a point. We do not need a Bouillion. We need someone with the hit strength of Murray but a better D…. Could be Tinordi.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

33. BriPro says:

What a way to catch up, coming off vacation.

I love Cape Cod. It’s true what they say about its sunset.

But with very limited wifi, I certainly missed HIO.
    A great group of very knowledgeable people, mostly….
    with what amounts to astute, perceptive, open-minded, mildly argumentative and fanatical perspective on our favourite team.

So… HI EVERYONE!

What great news about PK. Although I was floored when I walked in the door and my son announced the signing and the dollars.

The dollars….. crazy money. But I guess that’s the new price to pay in keeping an elite player.

*************************

Anyhow, I wanted to do a SHOUT OUT TO CHRIS (Habs in Surrey) for your great and very persistent effort.
    You’re better than I, my friend.

*************************

Wayda Go! Great work.
    And here’s to your 5000 target. I’ll spread the word.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

My family spent almost every summer in Cape Cod Bri. I think My bucket-list must include bringing My own Kids there for a few weeks.

Funny how I loved that area and Our Family’s sojourns to Boston, but We hated their hockey team.

I always have to remind Myself, I hate the Bruins but love Boston :)

• BriPro says:

That makes two of us.
        We’re there every summer.

You should join us.
        Shucking oysters, picking clams, having a sunset campfire on the beach (had to be at the permit office at 6:00am for that one … only 3 permits given out), sailing the port by nightlight along the cost…

I wish I had the money to live there year round.

But now, it’s time to get the game started.

It’s a good thing will have Genie to keep us busy for a few weeks, anyhow.

• Loop_Garoo says:

Love the cape. Haven’t been there in a few years but definitely hoping for next summer.

34. ProHabs says:

Has anyone seen Gregoire play live. What type of player is he? Can he skate well? What NHL player would you compare him to?

35. PK says:

A nice hockey piece in the Dog Days of summer.

However, the Habs training camp is what we all await.

What do the following bring to camp this year?

Sekac
    DLR
    Sherback

And how is Beaulieu, Tinordi, Pateryn fitting in the mix?

What about Bournival?

What to do with Toker versus Budaj?

And Moen?

Why did Roy let P.A. Parenteau go to the Habs?
    Is he a floater or can he play consistently?

How is Price’s knee coming along?

And … is HIO going to implode if MT has the cajones to bench Subban (i.e. benching Subbie for looking the wrong way)?

Only 65 days to go until opening night
    (source: Mavid).

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

“Une équipe de hockey sur glace de l’île de Mont-Royal va gagner la Coupe de Lord Stanley à 24 reprises dans le 20e siècle et trois fois au cours du 21e siècle.”

– Nostradamus, 1552

• Marc10 says:

I like these questions. I’ll take a stab.

What do the following bring to camp this year?

Sekac – Decent speed. At best Bournival with hands, at worse AHL.
      DLR – AHL realistically.
      Sherback – I don’t see him getting ahead of the other two unless he has lightning in his skates. We have ‘dep’ now.

And how is Beaulieu, Tinordi, Pateryn fitting in the mix?
      – Beaulieu should be a regular. He proved himself in the post season. Tiny and Pateryn are either ready or they will watch Cube sitting in the pressbox until they are.

What about Bournival?
      – Third/fourth liner with awesome wheels. Needs to forecheck like his life depends on it. Will be fine in that role.

What to do with Toker versus Budaj?
      – Gotta go with Toker. Love Budaj but he had his chance on the West Coast trip and crapped the bed. Toker took his lunch money with that playoff performance. Budaj has to go (even though as a backup in the regular season, he was more than fine.)

And Moen?
      – Depends on his foot speed. If he comes in ready to play like it’s a contract year, he is useful. Otherwise, he’s a penalty killer who should not fight anymore. 1.8 is a lot of money for that type of player. You’d think a healthy Prust and Malhotra with a Bournival on their wing would make Moen obsolete.

Leadership wise the team is still more than fine. Lots of leaders that keep their cool under pressure starting with Price, Markov, Prust, Malhotra, Pleky, Weaver, Gilbert and emerging leaders like Patches, DD, Gally and PK. On that front, we don’t really need Moen either… But that’s an uneducated guess based on knowing absolutely nothing about what really goes on in the room.

Why did Roy let P.A. Parenteau go to the Habs?
      Is he a floater or can he play consistently?

– He’s a skill guy who doesn’t have much grit from what I know. That doesn’t mesh well with what is needed in the West. I think St Pat wanted him gone long term and thought getting much needed leadership by way of Danny B (and Iggy) and swapping a PP guy for another, would work better long term.

PA is good mates with DD. We needed more scoring and someone on DD’s other wing. PA fit the bill. I’m hoping that because he has chemistry with his centre, is a Franco playing at home, that he’ll deliver the goods (ie, 25 goals) 5 on 5. Do that and score a couple in the playoffs (assuming we make it) and that’s a massive win in my book.

How is Price’s knee coming along?

– No news is good news I am hoping. The season depends on it.

– As Aaron Ward mentioned on TSN Radio, Suter sometimes benches Doughty. There’s your comparable. That said, PK will carry more water this year and be asked to lead. I expect he’ll act like he has a C on his chest even if that might be a few years away. And yes… HIO will explode regardless and MT will be thrown under the bus as per usual.

Expect the usual from HIO this year:

1) DD-Eller debate
      2) MT sucks because of his treatment of PK, love of the Cube and DD, not playing Tiny or Pateryn, overplaying Markov, etc. The official line is that MT is an incompetent, irrational buffoon who only has a job in the NHL because he’s francophone and pretty much anyone that has never spoken a word of French in their life would do a better job.
      3) The sky is always falling

I do worry that going into the season, we’ll be in a dog fight with quite a few clubs. TB and Columbus are looking pretty darn good, Boston is always there, so is Pittsburgh… The margin between winning and losing is quite tight. I’m curious to see how our newly balanced D performs in front of The Franchise. GHG

• PK says:

A nice detailed reply, Marc.
        Can’t say that you are off the mark on any of these issues.
        Should be a fun/interesting Habs season.
        I agree that there will be a lot of competition amongst the Eastern teams.
        A whole new slate this year, no matter what the Habs did in the playoffs. Cheers.

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
        _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

– Nostradamus, 1552

• rhino514 says:

During the playoffs, I saw Bournival on the boards in the offensive zone make a split second 180 degree turn with the puck I to get away from a forechecker, I haven´t seen anyone able to to make that kind of move since (gulp) Gomez. Every now and then you see him make an awesome pass as well.
        You can also see that, more than “finish” what he lacks big-time is confidence.
        He´s the kind of kid who is 50/50 to succeed, maybe less, objectively speaking, as a consistent everyday player, but boy do you want him to. The raw skills are there.
        I´d put him ahead of Sekac and even Andrighetto in terms of future possibilities, though many wouldn´t.

• Marc10 says:

The thing going for Bournival is his work ethic and his wheels. He’ll get there. Being able to get there faster than most everyone is a big, big advantage. He’s still a young, shy kid (or so it seems). As he grows into his role, he’ll come around and become a real pain for the opposition. My recommendation for him would be to look at how Brendan Gallagher goes to the net. Do that and accept you’ll get a lot of unwanted attention and you’ll suddenly find yourself becoming a very important cog on this team.

I recall Dany Dube on 98.5 mention how he wished every line had a Bournival type player. Well we kind of do. Gally, Weise, Bournival and Playoff Bourque when they’re forechecking create havoc in opposing Ds. Speed kills.

• rhino514 says:

Why does Sekac cause excitement?
      He scored eleven goals in a weak league.
      Sure, the more skilled young forwards we obtain the better. But I would put Andrighetto or Bournival ahead of this guy. They are quasi-longshots, but I think this guy is a bit more of a longshot.
      Yes, Bournival lacks confidence, which he may or may not develop, but because he can fly and forecheck, he will be an everyday player if he can arrive at around 15 goals a season one day.

36. Habitant in Surrey says:

Thank you to Alexander Raymond for being the 2000th supporter of the Rogers Petition !

Equally, thank you for signatures The Rogers Petition received from around the World (Russia, Germany, Austria, Sweden, Finland, France, Spain, Portugal, Ukraine, Australia, Thailand, Japan, Korea, China, Hong Kong, more than 20 states of the great United States Of America, every province and territory of Canada, including Our beloved Montrealaise of every colour, creed and language.

2000 is the first, but a critical milestone. I will be sending a print-out with submissions I will be making to the Montreal Canadiens, the NHL, Rogers, TVA and Bell, including politicians, the media and any other ears I feel is relevant.

A new objective for 5000 targeted for October is in-place. Whether that number is realistic, We will see :)

Again, thanks to all Habs Fans for Your patience and Your solidarity

Don’t stop signing ! :) http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-habs-blackout-rds

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Wow! Good work.

• PK says:

Hey, HiS, good work.
      We will have to buy you a beverage of choice if this petition produces a positive result. Kudos in any case.

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
      _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

– Nostradamus, 1552

• Habitant in Surrey says:

Thanks Guys, a cold beer will suffice.

Or, correct that, more than a few cold beers …would suffice. :)

I personally doubt they will divert this season from any pre-set broadcasting format. Such a turnaround from something they have been long cooking in the works would be a miracle.

What we are doing is not wasting time to tell them there is a real ugly mad fan base of Montreal Canadiens Fans across Canada.

And they will be wise to address the problem as soon as possible.

37. Hobie says:

GO HABS GO!

38. dr. schmutzdeker says:

Yo

39. Cal says:

The Beiber gets between two ferns and wonders what the bleep hit him. Funny stuff, sly. Thanks!