Nashville Dreams, Nightmare Head Checks

From the NY Times Slap Shot blog:

The Rodney Dangerfield of the N.H.L, the Nashville Predators, are the
only club unbeaten in regulation this season. They’ve earned 13 of a
possible 16 points with five wins and three overtime losses, good enough
to be first overall in the league.

They are never discussed as one of the better teams in hockey,
because they have no playoff success. But almost annually, Nashville
sneaks up on everyone and puts a scare in their post-season opponents.
In two of the last three seasons, the team that knocked them out in the
first round went on to win the Stanley Cup, but not without some
anxious moments

It is early and the Western Conference is strong, but imagining a
Predators playoff run this year is no wild dream.

The difference this season is their strong start. Last season, after
eight games, they had only won once in regulation and lost six straight.

This weekend, their two road wins came without their best all-around
defenseman, Ryan Suter, and against two of the league’s early surprise
teams. They shut out Dallas, 1-0, with goalie Pekka Rinne stopping all
30 shots he faced. Then, following a flight that didn’t land until 3
a.m., they polished off Tampa Bay, 4-3, behind rookie goalie Anders
Lindback, who turned aside 42 Lightning shots.

Lindback is 6-foot-6 and Rinne is listed as 6-foot-5. That’s
literally standing tall in goal. Play-by-play man Pete Weber remarked
during the post-game wrap from Tampa (video)
that the Predators have “almost 13 feet of goaltender” this season.
It’s no joke that these two have combined for a .939 save percentage,
second in the league to Boston’s .946 (which is all thanks to Tim
Thomas’s great start).

Continue reading “The Morning Skate: Nashville Dreams, Nightmare Head Checks.” >>

1. Puck Bard says:

So who’s getting bent out of shape?

2. adam76 says:

Unless someone talks about Halak – then its on like donkey kong.

3. SeriousFan09 says:

Exactly, no idea why people are getting so bent out of shape about this.

It’s not like we’re having less Habs content because of it, Stubbs and Boone brought in some new talent for more widespread hockey news. Hell, people seem to look forward to latest article telling us why TBL are going to be a Dynasty in a Cap Era (Chuckle) but if it’s a topic about lost personnel that doesn’t let them do the “I told you dance” they don’t want to see it.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

4. Bill says:

If he weren’t completely right maybe more people would jump on it.

Full Breezer 4 Life

5. Xtrahabsfan says:

Kerry Frazier WAS THE BIGGEST  HAB HATING REF I ever seen….heck in day’s of old I’d swear he be financed by the Oilers , Calgary and Detroit.

Yes he soften his stance later on,but all I see is a Cris Lee mentor and everything that’s wrong with reffing in the N.H.L. AND A big GOODBYE to Frazier….see ya wouldn’t want to be ya!

6. lefreak says:

bingo.

7. TomNickle says:

My opinion on Stu’s contribution is that it’s great.

Nice to get some perspective about non-Hab things around the league and definitely nice to give a team who deserves a better fanbase, city and television deal some pub.

As for fans who don’t want to join in on a thread that isn’t Habs related, look around you.  There’s plenty of Hab related articles on HIO that you don’t need to pay much mind to the rare non-Hab articles.

Boone and Stubbs posted non-stop St. Louis, Kovalchuk and Lightning news throughout the summer and nobody got their knickers in a twist.  Well, not nobody, but see my point?

Hang on.  Did he really say that Ryan Suter is the Preds best all around defenseman?  I’ll give him a mulligan.

Maybe he’s just trying to be different.

8. CrashTheNetCrashTheNet says:

Wow. First I’ve heard of that. Can’t say I disagree with Poo but gotta wonder how speaking out to the media will play out for him.

“When I was a baby I wish my first word had been “QUOTE”, then right before I die I could say “UNQUOTE” – Stephen Wright

9. Bill says:

I love all of the articles about other teams … except the Leafs. I get all I can handle from TSN.

Full Breezer 4 Life

10. joeybarrie says:

Still there are people making comments about Disco Stu’s articles and how they are not directly tied to the current news in Habs hockey.

There is a world beyond Montreal. Kansas City is nice. There is a cool island in Belize where you drive golf carts and not cars. There is a spot in a city in Spain called Tarifa where you can see Africa about 5 kilometers away. And there are more bars per capita in Savannah than any other city in the world (where you can get your beer to go by the way)

Honestly how is it that if you have no interest in the post you can’t simply igonre it? I buy a newspaper and I don’t call in to the publisher and complain about the article I am not interested in…

This is a HOCKEY website, and our hockey fans here in Montreal are said to be the most intelligent, interested and informed in the league. Yet for some crazy reason you aren’t thanking Stu for bringing us interesting information from around the league, keeping us informed.

By the way, if your wondering what this article has to do with the Montreal Canadiens, it’s pretty obvious. Both the Predators and the Habs play in the same league and compete with each other. It’s not like Stu is writting about the hig price of wool due to the shortage of food to feed sheep in Scotland.

Personally I welcome the addition of someone who will broaden the horizons of those who wish it, and those who don’t…………..  Well don’t click on the article then. Not hard to do…

Thank you Stu, and to the poster who came up with Disco Stu… I LIKE IT.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

11. krob1000 says:

“Maybe a little more patience would be nice,” the 24-year-old said. “We’re only eight games in, so maybe give a chance to a guy to stick with someone for at least 10 (games) in a row or something.

“Someone’s going to click with someone, so you just got to maybe be a little more patient and let the guy have a chance. Our first line has been intact all year and after that no one knows who they’re going to play with, so it’s not easy. Any night, you could get jumped up to the second or dropped down to the fourth line, so you just have to be ready for the situation.”

Has nobody commented on Pouliot’s comments…..is some guys made these comments they would get roasted on here…..he basically says that Martin needs to leave the lines together ofr ten games and give guys a chance to click…..not sayin I disagree but I just found it odd that nobody on here has gone nuts with it yet…..apologies if they have and regrets that I missed it lol

12. nightmare_49 says:

6. Disappointing to see the relationship between Kerry Fraser and the NHL deteriorating so badly. It went sideways in 2006, when Fraser’s refereeing son-in-law, Harry Dumas, was fired. Hopefully, time will heal the wounds, because Fraser and the league did a lot of good for each other over 30 years.

from Elliotte Friedman’s 30 thoughts.  (WARNING: for 24Cups – This article may not contain any Habs info).

BTW  Mr.Hackel (Nightmare Head Checks)  I have you know that i have had my head checked recently and they found nothing.

13. lefreak says:

if you guys don’t follow the nhl in general and teams other than the habs, it explains why so many on this site have a bad grasp of the game as a whole.

i welcome this post, the people complaining might actually learn something new and interesting other than what kind of juice box max lapierre had beside him in the weight room today.

14. Natrous says:

Since Stu’s stellar post (which seems to be the trend among all of his entries) is not about the habs…

I hear that Brian Burke has received two “solid” offers from other GMs around the league..  (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=338755)

Translation: I’ve had one satisfactory offer and want to stir up some interest league-wide to see if I can do better.

Any bets that someone not named ‘Kaberle’ is about to be traded?

15. Puck Bard says:

Yes, it’s the Leafs, but that was a sweet goal by Bozak.

16. punkster says:

The discussion below regarding Stu’s articles appearing on HI/O is likely to draw supporters from both sides. I think it would be good to remember that this site is owned by the Gazette and run by Gazette employees and not by those of us who comment here. I sincerely doubt they arbitrarily tossed Stu onto HI/O on a whim. I find myself warming to this new direction and I look forward to HI/O trying out even more changes in the future.

(Jeez, I didn’t mean for that to come out so asskissingly sappy…but so be it)

17. HabFanSince72 says:

You made sense until the Kovy diss.

18. HabFanSince72 says:

Actually, he did mention Frankie B.

19. RJB says:

I enjoy everything Stu has contributed, I also don’t think Kovalev should be allowed near the Habs again with a 10 ft pole. But I gotta say, when he is in the zone he is something else to watch, and he also seems like a genuine kinda guy. I’m glad hes not our head-case anymore, but gee has he got talent!

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
    – Bilbo Baggins

20. OneTimer says:

Hahahah, Geocities, that’s gold…fbkj, I approve. you silenced the rabbit with the annoying posts :)

21. BJT says:

Actually, I’ll have you know, my noodle has not been crimped. (Wow, that sounds really cool, I must admit.)

And I said that you know he’ll pot 25 this year… can’t remember if I said “at least” or not, but I meant to, and now assuming I did say/type that (if I did not then this is void, you can stop reading now) then you agreed with me by saying that Gio is gonna get 30.

Something else, why you saying “the Artiste”? It’s like me saying “le artist”. Pick a language, geez! Haha, but seriously, I couldn’t care less how many Kovy I or Kovy II are getting, it’s irrelevant, unless, of course, you think he’s legit when he says he wants to retire here.

Formerly known as Camel_Larry..
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

22. Bugs says:

Don’t tell me what I know or don’t know, BJ, ok? I’ll do that, thanks.

I say Gio’ll pot 30 this year. How do you like that? Puts a crimp in your noodle, that’n, eh?

Thing is, the Artiste has double NOW, and scored 37 for us two’n’half years ago.

Again: just sayin…

Decadently yours, I recline as

23. fbkj says:

busy doing what?

blogging about the habs properly, obviously not

24. Bugs says:

I suppose…

Just…no leafer elevator music, aw’ight? I mean, one little thing, please, no leafer elevator music is all I ask.

Decadently yours, I recline as

25. BJT says:

What’s that? Some dude playing on our 4th line we’re paying 600k per year has 1 less goal than kovy does?

Yeah, yeah, I know that Gio has the same amount as that “dude playing on our 4th line we’re paying 600k per year” and thusly my point is voided, but see, that ISN’T my point. My point is it’s early, get off of Gio. Dude’s gonna pot 25 this year & you know it.

Formerly known as Camel_Larry..
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

26. joeybarrie says:

Think about it like elevator music. You may not like it, but you don’t skip the trip to the top floor because of it… Ride it, enjoy it and speak to someone over the music.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

27. Bugs says:

Holy smokes; I didn’t see those two new ones.

The Bro’s been busy.

Decadently yours, I recline as

28. Bugs says:

Dedicated at not breaking our b*lls with whole articles pertaining to stuff that might not interest us in the slightest, but quick and easy links to’em if we do?

At that, he is the master.

Decadently yours, I recline as