Must-win for Boston

4632421

The Bs will be buzzing.

If the Bruins go down 0-3 in the series, it’s over.

Their predicament mandates the visitors will play with urgency at the Bell Centre Monday night.

Canadiens are now the favourites

Columnist adds fuel to fire

Boston fans apprehensive

P.K. is “all business”

Red Fisher weighs in

• Todd: Give Canadiens credit

Canadiens still wary

History will be made:

Today’s pump-up video, from aqua3888:

Photo by Getty Images

1. Habsone says:

Go Habs Go!!!!

2. Habitant in Surrey says:

…through all the ups & downs this season, I have remained optimistic …there is something special about the camaraderie and character of Our Team that gave me confidence, when the rubber hit the asphalt, They would be driven …based-on what they accomplished as a group in last year’s playoffs …based-on Our Canadiens’ Americans and Their leadership qualities, including the much abused Gomer …Carey confirming to Us believers that He is an exceptional person and athlete …PK giving Us moments of genius We have not seen in a Habs’ Sweater since Lafleur, Savard and Robinson …a Team, finally, that I perceive is close and seem to be playing as much for The Sweater and CH on Their chests as Themselves …THAT, in itself, makes this version of Our Team, special …to Me

…all this is a relief to this Montreal Canadiens Fan, who grew up with The Rocket, Gros Bill, Harvey, Ferguson, Moore, Lemaire, the Roadrunner and so many memories

…I am also a Boucher-guy …if I had been Molson, My business decision would have paid through-the-teeth and moved Heaven & Earth to keep Boucher in the organisation, preferably as an assistant to JM …because Boucher was the best business & entertainment-choice medium & longterm

…that being said, the triumvirate of Martin-Muller & Pearn have been impeccable in maximising Our Assets …a Team with more raw character, courage, and professionalism We, as a Team, have been privileged to see for many a year

…Martin NEVER succeeded before in His long career because He has never had such players with depth of character and complimentary skill-sets of speed and skill as what G & G have provided to Us …We are small but mentally acute and strong

…I take My hat off to Brian Gionta …I believed an Original Hab should have been chosen Our Captain …I usually have good hockey judgement and have been proven right more times than wrong …on this one, I was very wrong …Gio shows why those Devils’ teams were so successful, and affirms the grit, character and bravery of the American spirit still exists in this f**ked-up world We live-in

…I also am A Fan that hopes, in the future, Our Habs will once again reflect the mix of Montreal’s and Quebec’s own Franco(especially)/Anglo & Allo cultures, because that is the raison d’etre, identity and unique mission of Our Team …but until that day comes, I am unquestionably proud of Our American brothers, Our Danish Pastry, Our Czechs, and Belorusskies

…from Pyatt, Kostitsyn, Gio, Hammer, Spach, Skills, PK, Wiz, Moener, Jesus (bless Him), Darche, Cam, White and I won’t mention someone specific as the last Player to provide My respect, because I love what all of My Team brought this year …They all gave what they have (…well, Poolio needs some serious steroid treatments this summer, or even some time in the gym, but Chicken also is a sentimental favorite, obviously, Whom will figure it out eventually …I hope)

…realistically, there is going to be a another tough game tonight …the Teddy Bears will be desperate …it is NOT easy to play the Martin/Muller system consistently

…even if We get by the Teddies …there are other better and well-balanced teams in this NHL …We may still have one or two missing pieces to succeed to a Cup, especially a natural, consistent sniper …but I do not care …there is ‘something’ in Our Guys’ hearts and cojones We have not seen for a generation …and I am damned proud each of Them are Wearing Our Sweater

…Go Habs Go !!! …Bear-huntin’ season is officially open!

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

3. TommyB says:

Lots of talk about “must win”. I think in the B’s case must win is true. They don’t want to go down 3-0. They are aware of how rare a comeback from 3-0 is. Only been done, what, three times? Figure in the fact that it was done last year (to them), and you have to figure lightning doesn’t strike in the same place too often. So this one is definitely a must win for Boston.

Montreal on the other hand has a bit more breathing room. They, to a man, realize they have won nothing yet. They are aware that a Boston win tonight puts the B’s right back in it. They are also aware that going up 3-0 in games puts them squarely in the driver’s seat. So although not a must tonight, this game has the potential to define the series. You don’t want to let the Bruins back in the door. The good thing is that it is on Montreal ice. Martin has done an admirable job of line matching on the road. Having the advantage of last change at home is a big factor for game management. This a a huge opportunity tonight, but I don’t expect a win to come automatically. It helps that pretty much this entire group has gone through two big series wins last year together. They know what they have to do. I remain cautiously optimistic, and I can’t help but wonder who is officiating tonight.

4. habfanstuckinleafland says:

Hey, has anyone heard from Jeff? You know, Jeff, the leaf fan, I think he said something about Habs being pretenders and not contenders? Hey Jeff were are you now?

5. Sakus Evil Twin says:

Cliché time…

2-0 is the scariest lead in all sports.

Habs gotta win this one tonight…

6 hours and counting….

No answers, just opinions. Bite me. Och.

6. Former Jets Fan says:

I’ve got no impulse control. Instead, I have whites for tonight, 3 Kronenbourgs in me, and an inability to focus on anything but 7:30.
    Win, Habs, Win!

7. Chris79 says:

Watch out for Subban tonight…!! LOL..!! That bell Center is goin to another Level Tonight…!!

Actually, I disagree with Boone’s title. I think this game is a must win for Mtl. If god forbid bruins win tonight they will get the momentum and pressure will be 10 fold on the Habs going into game 4. Tonight is the must win for Habs. Who care what it is for the bruins anyway.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

I disagree with both of you, it’s a must win game for both teams.

• VancouverHab says:

You’re all three wrong here. It is a ‘must win’ for neither team. It is a ‘would be really really advantageous if they could win’ for both teams.

Down three games in a best-of-seven series: THAT’S a must win — must because if you lose you’re out. Down two games is NOT a must win because you could lose and still win the series.

Mountain made out of molehill — I’m just giddy over the series lead..

• Bouleau noir says:

” Who care what it is for the bruins anyway ” agree,
      this title would fare better in today’s Boston Globe.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Whatever semantic disagreement below, Timo I agree with you. There is a massive, massive difference not only in numbers but in momentum and confidence between 3-0 and 2-1.

Right now the Bruins are conceivably wondering whether they actually can beat the Habs. If they win tonight, they won’t be wondering any more.

Enjoy.

9. punkster says:

From that Toronto Star article (thanks for posting it 24 Cups):

“Me and Jacques have had many meetings throughout the year,” admits Subban. “I’ve heard so many things about him before I started playing for him, people saying he hasn’t been good with young guys. It hasn’t been the case at all.

“The only thing he’s done to my confidence is make it grow. I’ve grown as a player and made me more confident on the ice, and in the right way.

“He’s trying to develop me in a way that my career will be longer. As a defenceman, he’s taught me that if you’re going to be dominant in your own zone, you’re going to play in this league for a long time. That’s where you’re going to start, that’s where I’ve learnt.”

So, anybody out there want to question how JM handles the kids?
    ***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Timo says:

I call propaganda.

• Bugs says:

Can’t put too much stock in that affirmation because I believe that a blind armadillo as coach would’ve “made Soobie’s confidence grow”.
      So would’ve a rusted coat-hanger or a dirty sock for that matter…
      In fact, it would take an act of God for Soobie’s confidence NOT to grow. In my opinion, of course.
      That being said, I think Jack Marty’s a great coach and always said so.

Wide-eyed with wonder warbles L. B. Potter, esq.

10. Gabs about Habs says:

Long time reader, fist time poster here. I’ve been beging for Boston ever since the hit on Patches. And i stated on many occasions all I reallly wanted from these playoffs was to be the team that put boston out. Lets hope les boys keep the pedal down and send these classless hacks packing.

• HugeHabsFan says:

*like* :)

………..

“Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

Cammalleri: “I almost feel bad for a guy who plays an NHL career without experiencing what it’s like to be a Montreal Canadien”.

11. Jdub1985 says:

As far as I’m concerned it’s a MUST WIN for the HABS!

12. M.Neil says:

I wish the powers that be at this forum would put in a playoff tree, I like the visual in that you get a fast idea of who may play who in the second and third rounds. I like the idea of Montreal potentially playing either Pittsburgh or Tampa Bay in the second round, either team will be a good series matchup. I’m not ready to declare Montreal as the winner in this series yet unless they win tonight.

13. slamtherimtim says:

Anyone know what a NSDictonary is and how do i get it on my iphone

• HabFarmer says:

Same thing here. When I try to logon with the iPhone I get a parsing error and the NSDictionary thing. Annoying ’cause I’m tied to my iPhone……. .

“No, I see. The monkey’s out of the bottle now!”

14. Bugs says:

Have you guys heard Recchi and some-such Boston reporter now refer to their team as “underdogs”???
    I love it! They started off as the 3rd seed FAVOURITES and now, they’re “underdogs”!
    Ha!
    Does their patheticness, pathetitude, and patheticnicity know NO bounds?

Wide-eyed with wonder warbles L. B. Potter, esq.

15. ed lopaz says:

I would like to take back my criticism of Tom Pyatt which I posted earlier in the season.

Before the Habs brought up White, I was suggesting that Pyatt should be demoted to make room for White.

We desperately need White’s physical forecheck, and I hope he continues to finish every check (especially on Chara) tonight.

However, I underestimated Pyatt’s talents.

He is much tougher, much more determined, much more effective at playoff style hockey than I ever thought.

Kudos to you Tom Pyatt.

When you ask yourself why the Habs won those 2 games in Boston, we should not forget to mention the grittiness and unselfish determination that Pyatt brought to the rink!!

Well done!

• Bugs says:

Pyatt is the 4th line version of Scott Gomez…
      What a beast! Excellent game the other night.

Wide-eyed with wonder warbles L. B. Potter, esq.

• Nice comment back checking with all 5 is better then 3 and forechecking with 5 is better then 3.

Habsnation is still standing.

• Jordio-oh says:

Pyatt is the perfect 4th liner for Martin, when we are in the lead early. He’s fast, agressive and knows his role. Create turnovers, chip the puck in deep, kill clock, make it hard on the Bruins to break-out. I’ve never had a problem with Pyatt. However, if we’re down 2-0, Pyatt isn’t as effective. When we’re clinging to a slim lead he’s great, but he’s the last name i want to see on the ice when we’re down and battling back from a lead.

My point is, its no wonder why you like him now because his skill-set is perfect for protecting leads, which is all we have done so far, thankfully.

• Trisomy 21 says:

I think Pyatt played like this last year, however I thought in the regular season that he was just playing above his head and won’t perform like that again. This post season he’s doing the exact same thing, only even better so far.
      4th line playoff performer?

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Totally agree, but also reckon Moen has been an unsung hero so far also. Won’t score much, but he has been essential in stopping the Bruins from executing their game plan.
      Cheers

16. DrA says:

Tried and true system as perfected by Italian national soccer team since the 30s:
    Outstanding goal tending
    Tight stingy defense
    Score on counter attack as other team becomes frustrated.
    Boring, but oh so effective.
    The proof is in the pudding.
    In JMs career he has never had the goalie to pull it off (and I include Halak). He does now.

17. habsindepth says:

Arpon Basu just posted this image on twitter.. lol..
    Bruins start stretching and the Bell Center shows off the colors:

Playoff Mind games at its best.

===================================
    Web: http://www.habsindepth.com – For the Fanatics
    Twitter: @habsindepth

http://www.tsn.ca/ (right hand frame)

A suspendable offense by Torres?

Should it matter (in terms of punishment) if the player who was hit is still able to continue playing? Who makes that call?

Torres also took a run at Ehrhoff and left his feet to nail him against the boards (luckily he missed). He’s also just coming back from a four game suspension. Should this guy be suspended for the rest of the playoffs?

19. HabFanSince72 says:

RDS says the big ape took part in the practice today, and was looking “better”.

20. t1tan5 says:

Regarding the Rask debate: I highly doubt Julien will bench the guy who set a record for Sv% and had a 2.00 GAA. The guy is most likely winning the Vezina trophy based on his amazing season. In my opinion, Julien will either live or die by Thomas.

21. OneTimer says:

The Habs are now the favourites? Please! I hope the boys don’t fall for these mind games. Bruins were the big media favourites going into this series, and still are. It’s the Bruins’ series to lose, from the get-go.

• habsindepth says:

Agreed, the underdog status just seems so right for the Habs. Bruins media has been trying to get the Habs off game as well, I mean, while PK Subban remained calm and had small answers for the Versus reporter post-game interview, the questions like “are you playing your game to perfection” are only meant to get to the kid’s head. Fail attempt.

===================================
      Web: http://www.habsindepth.com – For the Fanatics
      Twitter: @habsindepth

22. habinypsi says:

If anyone wants to know if Torres will get suspended, i suggest using this site. http://www.nhlwheelofjustice.com/
    P.S turn on playoff mode!

Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come.
    Matt Groening, “Life in Hell”

23. DearyLeary says:

Anyone remember Movember? And Price was putting sensational numbers?

Is it any coincidence that Pricey is growing his power stache back?

• avatar_58 says:

That would suggest he hasn’t played as well since. Which is untrue, he’s been godly all season

• savethepuck says:

But November was his best month statisticall by far. Although I think his lower statistics in later months were only due to surmounting injuries to our defense. He has definitely been a standout and I don’t recall him having 2 bad games in a row all year ( not that he had many bad games )

Rob from Calgary – thought I had your email but I don’t. We are still on for tonight at Shanks north?

25. Mad Habber says:

I had an idea. For those of you who are going to the game tonight why not sacrfice yourself for the good of the team. Wear Bruins jersey’s and cheer for the Bruins, that way the Habs won’t feel like they have to perform you and just play their game.

26. Danno says:

An exclusive look inside Cam Neely’s office after game two…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

27. JD_ says:

This just in: Asked about the likelihood Bell Centre fans will be fervently booin’ when the Broonz step on the ice tonight, Baghdad Brad Marchand commented, “The fans won’t be booing us. They’ll be booing those little kids with the flags. They’re really lousy skaters.”

Lookin’ forward to the next installment of BroonzMeltdown™ 2011.

So it is written, so it shall be done.

28. lenny says:

Going to NESN.com (new england sports network) and screwing with the Bruins fans is so much fun!

• krob1000 says:

beware the karma police…just stay put on HIO and save it until we win

• Tharsis says:

+ 10000

I am a firm believer that pre-emptive gloating serves no purpose other than increasing the chance of eating humble pie.

———————————-

Fate leads the willing, and drags along the reluctant.

• Kristopher7 says:

krob is right, just leave it alone. I went to go check out what you were talking about and it’s just some ass hats insulting bruins fans and quoting that montreal fans will burn cop cars “when not if” the habs win. Pure childish and full of fail.

• ClaytonM says:

Whoever is posting under Reality Check is giving them fits :)

I’m not afraid of the karma police, they’re too busy questioning Chara to notice these misdemeanors by Habs fans. Doubtless the Bruins will try and pound us into the ice tonight, but they can’t catch our guys most of the time, we’re playing with discipline, and tonight we get the last change. All 4 Montreal lines are outskating and outworking Boston, and with the home crowd behind them, I have a great feeling heading into tonight’s game.

Ken Dryden For NHL Commissioner

Listen Hab fans! get a grip on reality will ya!

We have not won anything yet, so let’s not get ahead of ourselves out there.

Let’s figure out first who we will play in the finals first.!

Detroit or Vancouver??

30. sherburnehabfan says:

Watch the game on the TV but listen to CJAD 800. I do this for every game because I can’t stand the TV play by play people. Link to CJAD off the habs home page.

GO HABS GO!!!!

31. longtimehabsfan says:

They just played Boone wishing Melnick a Happy Birthday on Team 990. Hysterical!!

“It’s a moo point. Like a cow’s opinion, it doesn’t matter. It’s moo.”

32. longtimehabsfan says:

I don’t want to rain on everyone’s parade but a bit of a reminder here. The last two times the Habs swept the first two games of a series on the road were 2006 [Canes] and 1996 [Rangers]. The result in both cases? Four straight losses. One game at a time, people.

“It’s a moo point. Like a cow’s opinion, it doesn’t matter. It’s moo.”

From Cherry and the Toronto media.

Montreal is so lucky! It is just not fair! They are not that good!

They are lucky about 1 out of every 4 years for the past 100 years.!

Just ask STANLEY how lucky they are.!

34. jimmy shaker says:

Just finished watching Koivu’s return from cancer at the bell centre on youtube and the ovation the crowd gave him as well as the Richard 5 or 6 minute standing O for one of the greats of all time. Not sure why I went there for those clips, but the goosebumps were popping, much like tonights atmosphere is going to be. Can’t wait……. there is something to be said about the buildup for the habs at home as they take to the ice with the little tykes waving the flags and coldplay heating up over the sound system. Last thing, can we go back to the old goal celebration song vs the U2 one. I liked it way more! C’mon boys, kick seabass and the cubs arce tonight!!!

Shaker

35. adamg84 says:

Probably has already been mentioned on here but lets not get too far ahead of ourselves. I remember the 2006 playoffs when the Habs were coming back home up 2-0 on the Canes. We all know how that ended up.

Also lets keep in mind that habs haven’t played a home game in almost two weeks. I don’t think that will be an issue though….heres to a good tight checking habs win! Go Habs!

Was away last week, had to watch games in bars with no sound on. Can’t wait to hear the electricity at the phone booth tonight. I really feel we have to win tonight. Momentum is such a fickle thing and I don’t the Bruins to get any of it. 2-1 is too close. Cheers everyone, good luck to our boys tonight!

37. Habitoba says:

Wonder how Glenn Healy’s “Danish you buy at the coffee shop” is going to do tonight.

38. habs63 says:

whoa Boone, lets not get ahead of our self here. We all learned last year, especially Boston, that takes 4 games to win a series. Not 3

39. steadyjake says:

How will we play without an early lead? That, IMO, is the biggest question. I think those early tallies in games 1 and 2 were key to allowing the Habs to relax and smother the Bears with their mind-numbing trap.
    I will be very nervous if we dont score first. After all, we still arent exactly lighting the lamp like crazy.

40. tickets for tonights game have been transferred from my batcave to my coat pocket

do me good coat

41. thebigguy says:

So we’ve all seen how PK has been doing less of those end to end rushes since the playoffs started. Obviously Martin has instructed him not to waste his energy on those plays as long as we’re up. When you’re playing close to 30 minutes a game, you need to conserve your energy.

42. Old Bald Bird says:

Interesting Toronto Star article by Kevin McGran that someone posted below. Here’s a quote from Subban, which indicates that JM does a lot of communicating in his own way.

• habitual says:

Good find. I was critical of Martin’s handling of rookies earlier in the year, but I have nothing but good thoughts for him now.

I’d just hate to be stuck on a desert island with him. He spends words like Scrooge spends money.

• hansolo says:

Thanks for sharing. Great article. Props to both JM and PK. They both seem to have their heads screwed on right, even though a whole heap of people will tell you otherwise (especially about PK).

43. habs001 says:

huge game today…a win would be a perfect set up for a sweep and lots of rest…two day rest before game 4 on thursday and a minimum 5 day rest before next series starts… we have enough trouble scoring the last 2 years and a tired forward group would make it even harder to score…a sweep would be great because i believe who ever our next opponent is they would have played a long series….rested forwards would be great for us because they are the key as i believe if we get beaten in any series it will not be because of goaltending or team d but a lack of scoring…

• observer says:

Step into Bruins shoes. They know they must win tonight or its over, but all they have to do is win one single game tonight and it is then as close as any series can be after 3 games – 2 games to one.

Don’t be counting any resting chickens before they hatched YET.

• Say Ash says:

They have to win four out of five games, three of which would be in a building they haven’t won in since the pre-season.

• observer says:

I’ve seen hundreds yes hundreds of sports teams down 2 games to zero come back and win the series. BUT what I said was if they do win this ONE game it is as close as it could be after 3 games.

Several years back when the Habs finished first in the eastern conference they won ALL 8 games with Boston and ALL 4 with Piladelphia during the season.

Habs beat Bruins 4-3 and LOST to Flyers 4 games to one in the following playoffs. That’s how little that previous record meant.

A more recent one – Habs lost 2 of the last 3 to Boston and allowed 15 goals in those 2 Boston wins. Boston has now scored 1 goal in the next 2 games with Montreal.

• avatar_58 says:

Observer is right. DO NOT count them out. One win and it’s a new series.

• observer says:

The best possible thing if they get a break until the next series is it gives Pacioretty more time before the next series even starts.

44. Propwash says:

LOL, an oldie, but still relevant today.

45. Former Jets Fan says:

The History Will Be Made commercials were fantastic last year. This year….not so much. Who does the NHL have writing these taglines? Hallmark’s rejects?

46. JF says:

I don’t think I’ve ever wanted us to win a playoff series as badly as I want us to win this one. Not in six or seven, but in a sweep or five. Not just beat them, but humiliate them. If that happens, the season will be a success, no matter what comes after.

• lavie says:

Hey, you are not the only one there. :)

• observer says:

Season will be a success if they win FOUR series and it is very possible this year if they continue to play this way. There are no great teams this year, all are flawed and beatable. Habs can beat Washington – Habs beat Vancouver 4 of last 5 meetings.

Note- Habs had a 9-3 record against Boston last 12 games before these playoffs.

47. naweed235 says:

ok guys this is probably gonna sound very stupid to alot of you … heck it even surprises me how this is probably the only thing I am not too sure on about hockey… What does last change on home ice imply exactly? I know it means that the home coach sorta gets to chose the match ups on the ice but Im not sure how that works… is it like the other coach is not allowed to send his line before the home coach does?
    If someone can clarify this for me I’d really appreciate it

• Lafrich says:

• Barts says:

82.1 Line Change – Following the stoppage of play, the visiting team shall promptly place a line-up on the ice ready for play and no substitution shall be made from that time until play has been resumed. The home team may then make any desired substitution, except in cases following an icing, which does not result in the delay of the game.

“Placing a line-up on the ice” shall mean that both teams shall place the full complement of players (and not exceed) to which they are entitled within the line change time frame.

If there is any undue delay by either team in changing players, the Referee shall order the offending team or teams to take their positions immediately and not permit any further player changes.

When a substitution has been made under the above rule, no additional substitution may be made until play commences.

48. Malreg says:

Taking my 10 year old brother to the game tonight! It’s going to be insane! It’s his 1st playoff game, and my 1st since Game 4 of Round 1 in 2009 against Boston, where we were swept and the fans started chanting “Carbo”.

This experience should be 1,000 times better!

49. Hobie Hansen says:

Ok well, I have no idea what to expect from the Bruins in tonight’s game? The way they’ve played so far in the series is pretty much inexplicable?

Obviously hats off to our Habs for playing a perfectly executed game and stifling the Bruins offence and making them take low percentage shots. I’ve been saying all season that Jacques Martin is a genius and laughed at people who were jumping on him for not acting like Don Cherry behind the bench and also at the people saying he was too tough on PK Subban. I bet PK Subban would be the first to thank him for it today.

James Wisniewski was amazing in the game on Saturday and I loved seeing him deliver that hit and drop the gloves. I was counting on him picking up the intensity once his cage was removed.

This series is FAR from over and I’d be shocked if the real Bruins didn’t show up tonight. One thing they could try is dumping the puck in the corner and flying in after it full tilt. However, Price is so good at handling the puck that dump and chase may not be a viable option either.

GO HABS GO!!!!!

• Captain aHab says:

I was listening to JM on the news a few minutes ago and it must be frustrating to coach against him….everything he says is vanilla, said in a vanilla way….nothing to fire up the other team. He’s the anti-Tortorella.

• avatar_58 says:

Trick is to dump AT the wall, not bank it around. Not sure why teams try banking it on the habs, as Price is too good

50. Propwash says:

I think it’s quite the opposite. It’s a must-win for the Habs, don’t let the B’s get a sniff of having a chance in this series.

51. HabFanSince72 says:

Todd’s comment about crocs passing the mustard was amusing.

But his statement that Julien is out of his mind if he doesn’t start Rask suggests that Mr Todd might do well to stick to US college football.

52. hansolo says:

I must say I’m amused at all the talk emanating from Boston about how Montreal isn’t really a good team and it’s simply beyond belief that the Bruins have been so unlucky. If it weren’t for a few lucky bounces, Price standing on his head, and too many other excuses, the Bruins would have won the series already. It isn’t just the article by Ryan, the Bruins’ players’ comments say the same, as does Kevin Dupont in a video link on another site.

I’m amused because so subconsciously intent are the Bruins on not showing respect to the Habs that they’ve forgotten they actually need to play the game; they seem to think they can just show up and win. I started watching hockey in 1971 during the famous Habs – Bruins series that year, won by the Canadiens who were huge underdogs. Game 2 of that series was voted by Red Fisher as the Habs’ greatest ever comeback. This year’s Bruins can’t hold a candle to that outstanding 1971 Bruins team, who were gracious enough (yes, I know, “Boston” and “gracious” in the same sentence is a little weird) to give Montreal full credit during the series for their excellent play.

Martin definitely is in Clod’s head, as are the Habs in the rest of the Bruins’ heads. Way to go Habs! Keep it up and the series is yours for the taking. Don’t let up, drive the sword point home.

53. Captain aHab says:

Is there any possibility that one/both of Markov or Gorges could come back if the Habs go deep? Haven’t followed their recoveries and I’m not sure if that has been adressed.

54. Captain aHab says:

Handbags? You have the wrong forum….you want to look for the Colorado Avalanche.

55. Captain aHab says:

PK is all business and playing solid D. He still goes up ice with steam from time to time but the flamboyance has been seemingly shelved for now. Early on this season, he was trying to go for at least one big crushing hit per game (hello Brad Marchand) and we haven’t seen that yet. You have to think that with the Bwoons focussing on hating him, JM told the young d-man to keep quiet so they have nothing to feed off on.

56. 21BIGGionta says:

I always forget NOT to read the newspaper in the morning so when im bored at school i just come on here and read it. I will never learn.

57. cashbagg says:

I kinda wish we weren’t the favorite all of a sudden.

You know what I’m getting at!

58. Captain aHab says:

With JM getting last change, I’ll be interested to see what role the Eller line will play tonight.

59. Captain aHab says:

So everyone knows that this is an absolute must-win for the Bwoons and that the Habs may suffer from overconfidence. The reason why I don’t think this will happen is simple: Payback. The Habs have a reason to try to sweep the Bwoons and that reason is Max Pax. I think the boys will keep the pedal floored. With all due respect to a poster below, I think it would be a mistake to simply try to weather the 10-minute storm. To me a better message would be to subject the Bwoons to a 60-minute storm of our own. Their d-men have been exposed. Stick in the dagger and turn the handle.

Time for a beatdown….on the scoreboard.

60. Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

All the vets have to help keep the emotions of the young fellers in check in the first ten minutes. I’d rather weather a Boston storm for the first 10, than have the traditional home team fast start but come out of it with nothing to show for it. Play 2 more road games at home, easier to do with last change, that’s the key.

____________________________________________________
    Sorry for being obnoxious, props for being generous,
    y’all down, we booze hounds, take two drinks and pass.

61. wool40 says:

Hello all-
    Does anyone have a website that I can get the HNIC feed? I live in the states and watching Versus is just plain bad! http://www.adthe.me doesn’t get it. Does anyone know another non-pay site? Thanks

“Hockey is a religion here. We’re all priests. It’s sacred. You don’t trade priests.”- Guy Lafleur 1985

62. jew4jah says:

good comment from a bruins fan:

“I see a “DWARF TEAM’ that is extremely fast and skilled.The big bad Bruins got away with intimidating the Habs in 2 games this year the 8-6 and 7-0 games at the end of the year.In the playoffs you can’t get away with those tactics and that leaves Lucic,Horton Thorton and the rest of the neandrathals out played and out classed.Maybe Dr Recchi has a magic potion for the team.What is Julien thinking playing Ryder and leaving Seguin in the press box.What a waste of a 2nd overall pick,should have ledt him in JR and the a year in the AHL like the Habs did with PK Subban.”

chara = חרה

• Gormdog says:

Love the fact that we have a slew of rookies contributing (despite JM being terrible with younger players) while their prized prospect withers in the stands because the coach has zero confidence in him.

The next time someone talks about JM ruining young players, just ask them to compare Subban’s and Seguin’s TOI this series.

Says it all.

63. Gormdog says:

Guy is going to win a Vezina, yet might not even be the game 3 starter.

Recount anyone?

64. Dunboyne Mike says:

It’s been suggested below that not only Chara but other Bruins have been hit by some kind of bug.

For me that would help explain how limp good players like Lucic and Horton have looked so far. I mean, Pleks and co have done a great job smothering them, but have they alone shut down Boston’s top line completely?

Oh my has Kaberle sucked! (Although he’s in good company with Boychuk and Seidenberg).

And refs, please! You have to start calling the late, dirty hits on PK when the play is long gone.

65. t1tan5 says:

Last two times the Habs won the first two games ON THE ROAD, we suffered series losses. Of course, this should not be relevant because the team we have now is completely and utterly different than the team we had in 2006 and obviously 1996.

66. HFX-HabFan says:

The first two games in that series were in Montreal, so that doesn’t apply. You were a bit too quick to shoot that one down.

67. Propwash says:

Curbstomp them mofos!

68. DrA says:

I agree. I think this is where all the playoff experience comes in. Also they won 2 game sevens last year on the road. I would say they’re battle tested.