Multimedia: HIO at practice

practice

AUDIO: Randy Cunneyworth

Max Pacioretty is home with the flu, so Scott Gomez skated with David Desharnais and Erik Cole at the Canadiens Monday practice.
Gomez says he’s not quite ready.
Randy Cunneyworth looks forward to the return of a forward who is “Top 6 with his skills and presence on the ice.

1. Mavid says:

Guys on the ottawa station this morning…if the playoffs started today….hahaha are you kidding me ..rescue me from this horrible city

2. The Dude says:

Thursday’s game in Boston is gonna be EPIC and I can’t wait”drooling ,lol” and it has all the answers to all the questions so hang on Habs fans “Franco, Anglo and from around the world,where ever good taste live’s” cause we have a great week of hockey ….OH YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!

3. aj says:

I recently looked at Randy Cunneyworth’s fight record from hockeyfights.com. He doesn’t fight that much judging from the seasonal statistics and the highest fight average he got was up to 6 fights a season. However, what struck me the most his ability to flare up inside a hockey rink! Man, this video clip shows he really means business:

Just by comparing this to the VAN-BOS scuffle that just happened, what Lucic and the the guys did pales in comparison to RC’s pedigree. I wish Cunneyworth could coach the Habs in this style of physicality come they visit the goons in the TD garden.

EDIT: I just found out as well this video too –

One’s an ex-Hab and the other’s a former Penguin becoming an interim head coach.

4. price365 says:

I think this is what it will come down to tomorrow night – Our 1st and 2nd line is as good as their’s – our 3rd is better than theirs – our 4th about even – so if our 1st and 2nd line can compete with theirs.
    our third line will be a bonus – in Goal I’ll give the edge to carey. it should be a good game and I hope the Habs win – will they make the playoffs – never say die – but I’m not sure if just making the playoffs is a good thing – we need a top draft pick.

5. vin23 says:

Anyone see this video of the protest? Absolutely hilarious ! Proof this movement is only a result of media pressure, driven by the narcissistic separatists of this province.

And boom goes the dynamite…

• Propwash says:

Half the people are there to just be there it looks like.

_____________________________
      Don’t let the wultures getcha.

• nickster13 says:

Good god those people really have nothing to say, literally zero points!

• roady says:

problem is that small group attracts the press who blow everything out of proportion, these protesters are not true hockey fans and should not be given the time of day as someone one said above… the french medai are the worst in this crapola…stick to sports you bufoons, you make complete fools of yourselves and give the majority of Quebecers a bad rap…most french speaking fans couldn’t give a rats ass about language…winning is what counts. PERIOD…I’m done with this shit storm and I hope the rest of the real fans just ignore the idiots who are protesting against the english…enough already…

take your drink to the end of the bar buddy…come on now, don’t be a fool…

With today’s news that Scott Arniel has been fired, I wonder what the over/under will be on 10 NHL coach dismissals before the start of next season.

The league total presently stands at seven and we’re only at the half way point of the season.

7. Mattyleg says:

You know, I was just thinking that our strategy might not be so bad…

Our top players have been injured for so long that we’ve got used to playing without them. All the other teams in the NHL are now struggling to cope without their top two or three players out with concussions or broken knees, and we’ve already got it aaaaall figured out.

Very shrewd, Montreal Canadiens, verrrrrry shrewwwwwd.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Vancouver did not help us tonight losing to Florida. Interesting goalie scenario playing out in Vcr.

9. Just A Guy says:

Here’s a question out of left field. Has Blunden become waiver eligible with the games he has played for the habs? His status is a mess (to me).

10. arcosenate says:

Sweet jesu, Gomez is not quite ready to do what exactly? Suck up quality minutes from someone who can actually contribute? Not quite ready to do what? Confused I am.

11. showey47 says:

If RC can turn gomez into a point producing top 6 player he should automatically win coach of the year and a contract extension.

• Le Jadester says:

Why do I have the feeling he’d be able to walk on water before he could perform that miracle ?

But yes, you’re right.

Habs, OLE !

• Hobie Hansen says:

Gomez is getting a bit of hype from the fans the last few days. It would be remarkable if he ever regained his old form but it is more than difficult to believe he could accomplish that.

A new coach could possibly stir up the old Gomez but I doubt it. Stranger things have happened though.

• 24 Cups says:

Gomez obviously can’t take Pleks’ spot. It would also be criminal for him to push Eller or DD to the wing. Cunneyworth has nothing to lose in terms of job security so I think he should let Gomez either centre or play wing on the 4th line. He can also kill some penalties in that role. He then bides his time until there is an injury. Or the Habs bide their time until the end of the year.

• matt jordan says:

no doubt.
      if gomer started putting up Samsonov numbers i’d be happy, as any numbers are better than the current zero

12. Habfan10912 says:

During Marchand’s vacation, he’ll be assisting Milbury in coaching the pee wee team. Ya know, in case big Mike gets in another brawl with a 12 year old.

13. Le Jadester says:

Just watching the highlights of the BOS-VAN game got me all fired up !
    Then I got all worked up because we didn’t have a couple of players that can dance with guys like Thornton, Campbell, Lucic and obviously the Ape, etc.
    That kinda bugs me a bit. I don’t know who to blame for that…..JM, PG, BG etc.
    Either way, I hope we’re headed in the right direction sans JM and his lame style of play, along with the failed experiment of small, speedy guys (thats why I love the Moen-AK-Eller line).
    Which brings me to my next point……the only way we can neutralize the Broonz is if a guy like S. Weber comes over, no ? Is that not what every GM is saying in our division ? I realize its dreamin’ to a certain degree and part of the farm would have to be remortgaged……..but who or how else are we gonna be able go at these effing Broonz ? They are gonna be owning the top division spot for at least the next 3 years with that roster of theirs, no ?

Sorry just venting and thinkin’ too much.

Anyways, there’s lotsa little bitches on Van. and Bos. and both teams make me wanna puke. Good hockey teams though and tough to beat, they get my respect there. Different styles too.

For some reason, I thought we were gonna be right there in the mix of things amongst the elites after last year and that kinda chaps my a$$ a bit with the way things have gone this season. Still happy JM is gone though and if that’s all I can be happy about this year, then fine. I can be patient until next, as longs as some good trades and moves like the Cole-zie one are made.

But all I want for next Christmas is to hand the Broonz their tails again, like we used to. That’s all………and mabey a 25th in my lifetime (I figure I have about another 30 left in me ?)

Habs, OLE !

• Habitall says:

In retrospect, we should have picked up Shane O’Brien. Not that it would have made us equal to the Bruins, but he’d have been a solid addition for countering their physical game — along with Emelin, Moen and Blunden/White, plus some of our tougher skill players (AK46, Eller) … yeah, he’d look pretty good with the Habs right about now.

14. kempie says:

Hitchcock on starting Halak after Elliott’s Sat SO: “We’re in people business too. I’d look like an idiot not to put (Halak) in.”

Maybe Budaj should get the start? Wouldn’t that be the grand master dbag thing to do?

15. habs11s says:

“The NHL office is a joke compared to other pro sports leagues. It’s all politics. Marchand is a tiny guy, the 6-FOOT-4 GOON taking a run at him deserved what he got. What, you can’t duck when some goon is gunning at your head at 30mph??? Idiots. A joke league.”

From the Boston Herald comments section

since when is Sami Salo a goon. You’d think when your team is made up of them, you could recognize them better. To boot a quick search on NHL.com confirms that Sami Salo is 6’3…

and i thought leafs fans were delirious….
    _____________________________________________________________

• Duracell3 says:

as salo is not even moving his feet just coasting at him, and neither player touches the puck lol. You have to realize though, the VAST majority of Boston fans have literally never worn skates.

These are the same people who wholly believe that a glove can just get randomly stuck with one finger up while your hand is in it.

• gatorhabs says:

But what the comment doesn’t say is why Lucic was running Marchand in the first place.

oh, wait, nevermind.

I saw 6’4″ GOON and assumed too much.

16. Bripro says:

“Marchand has been suspended for 5 games.”
    That has a really nice ring to it.

Coli Campbell must have been out of town for a couple days to allow this to happen Bri!

• Bripro says:

100%
        Seriously, I wonder if Alain Vigneault’s rant had anything to do with it.

• Mike D says:

Colon was pre-disposed and hence unavailable to make his favourable recommendation regarding Marchand to Shanny.

Reports around Boston confirm little Greggy had a flat tire so he called daddy to help him with it. Apparently when old Colie pulled up to Greg’s car on the side of the road, young Greg was trying to attach the spare by punching it with his elbow pad. As you can imagine, the two were predisposed for quite some time trying to figure it out and had to resort to calling someone who knew how to manipulate opposable thumbs to help them complete the tire swap.

– Honestly yours

• Bripro says:

LMAO. I’m getting a visual.
          (Picture – the two bent over the wheel looking at their reflections on the rim)
          Daddy – Is that something in my teeth?

Jr – How come my elbow pad won’t budge these things?

Daddy – That’s gotta be some spinach from that quiche.

Jr – So dad, I hear Marchand’s gonna get the call from Shanny

Daddy – Oh, oh, Shanny…yes. That reminds me. Your mother wants me to pick up some fungus cream. She hurt her foot when the Shanahans, Juliens and Yzermans were over for a swim. Apparently Claude bit it by mistake while they were in the deep end. We all had a good laugh. Get this… he was asking if he’d be suspended.

(gut-busting laughter)

Jr – So dad, what do you think the verdict will be?

Daddy – Look son, Shanny’s gonna havta suck up to all them Canuck cronies up there somewhere…(waves hand in backward motion, ring glistening). Besides, it’s only the rat, right? Do any of you guys really like him anyway?

Jr – hmmm

Daddy – well then, that settles it. Do me a favour and push will ya?
          I see a tow truck over there.

• kempie says:

That must be a mistake or something. He’s a Bruin. It’s impossible.

17. like a boss says:

Only bad thing about marchand’s suspension….no PK Marchand rematch

18. Mr. Biter says:

Lets see if this works again

Yes Laraque vs. Lucic finally

Mr. Biter

19. keepthefaith says:

HH Somehow I don’t think your ego needs any stroking. ;)
    We could also be talking about Hobie Hansen Mr. Big head. Its not all about you all the time

20. Mr. Biter says:

Just for fun.

Milton Berle vs Stadter and Waldhof
    hope this works

Mr. Biter

In view of tomorrow’s historic game I thought I’d dust off an old classic.

22. G-Man says:

Just watched Shamahan’s explanation on NHL.com. How about the punishment equaling the amount of time Salo misses? If Salo’s season is over, so should Marchand’s be.

Went to the Boston newspaper web page to see the reaction to Marchand suspension. I know all of us fans are bias in how we see things, but they really do have some fans that don’t know hockey as it relates to illegal hits.
    The comment section is laughable.

24. Hobie Hansen says:

Damn I wish Ryan White was available for Thursday’s game against Boston…

• Mike D says:

So does Ryan White!

– Honestly yours

• powdered toastmann says:

Sorry, but White and/or Moen having to deal with the 6-9 (tough to tougher) guys of equivalent to much larger stature on the Bruins, not to mention a number of others potentially emboldened by the antics of the aforementioned (because as mentioned they have each other’s backs) might not bode well for them or others on the team.

25. habs-hampton says:

Good job by Shanahan for a change. But, you know, I have always felt that whenever a player is suspended, he should also miss the next game against the team he offended. It’s good for the Habs as we don’t need to watch out for that little puke later this week, but one of the 5 games should be the next one against the Canucks.

Thoughts?

• aj says:

My thougts, Lucic should’ve been suspended. Also Shanny should have given Marchand a 7 or 8 game suspension. These goons are physical and very brutal. Just listen to Julien’s comments when he ranted against Vigeneault:

If he likes to run the Booins that way, so be it! If Julien want’s to coach his players like barbarians, ok! Hopefully, the Habs would fight back against them.

• Hobie Hansen says:

There are three or four players on the Bruins the Habs have next to no answer for and behind them are another five or six that would gladly do battle with anyone on our roster.

Thank Pierre Gauthier for doing zero about it….

• Habfan10912 says:

Hear ya Hobbies. Please don’t tell anyone I said this, but the Brtuins have a very talanted hockey club. I think they’d be just as successful playing a hard hitting game without the goon tactics.
          IMO they dominate teams by winning battles for the Puck and their goalie ain’t so bad either.

• aj says:

@ Hobie Hansen: We all know that the Habs right now are a smurfs team by its veteran core players. The last thing they need is to have another confrontation like what they did last year at the TD Garden. Most of the Habs got beaten up, some of them like former players Pyatt and Spacek.

What do you think they should do, stand there and lets the Bruins beat the crap out of them? No! I know Emelin’s got hurt. But if they want to pick on him like Subban, they’re gonna have it! the Habs must show resilience and not allow them to enforce their goonery.

• Hobie Hansen says:

@ aj

I feel like crawling in a hole and waking up when the Smurfs contracts have expired in 2014/15 and they are replaced with some fresh blood,hopefully with much improved size and toughness.

Jarod Tinordi will be playing at that time too.

I don’t know what we did to deserve having the softest team in NHL history but it is embarrassing!

• powdered toastmann says:

Ouch…can’t believe we still have to wait that long. It seems as if we been the softest, most absorbant team for ages (minus the brief time when BGL was somewhat effective). thks again Gainey and Goat

• G-Man says:

The only way they stop playing this way is if all their players get hurt. And you know something? I really don’t care if any of the Gooins have career-ending injuries. They are nothing but thugs wearing hockey jerseys and I hope they all get what’s coming to them, especially Chara.

• Mike D says:

I don’t disagree and I actually like the sentiment in your point, but the difficulty comes in situations where the teams don’t play each other again for a while. In some cases teams only play each other once a year, or even every other year in some instances.

Factoring in player movement, what if the offending player gets traded before he faces that other team again? Does his new team have to go without his services for an infraction he committed while with his previous team? Not really fair.

The same applies if the player on the receiving end of the wrong-doing gets traded. Then would his new team get the benefit or his old team get the benefit of having that offending player miss the game?

– Honestly yours

• Curtis O Habs says:

A team with a suspended player should also have one less man on the bench for the duration of the suspension.

26. VancouverHab says:

Obviously Don Cherry is persona non grata here, but Hab fans will love the content & style of this past Coach’s Corner. E.g. the analysis of H.Sedin in a scrum was hilarious & cruel in its accuracy, & correct to praise Sami Salo as a straight-up hockey player & the one likeable Canuck.