Multimedia: HIO at practice

practice

AUDIO: Randy Cunneyworth

Max Pacioretty is home with the flu, so Scott Gomez skated with David Desharnais and Erik Cole at the Canadiens Monday practice.
Gomez says he’s not quite ready.
Randy Cunneyworth looks forward to the return of a forward who is “Top 6 with his skills and presence on the ice.

1. The Cat says:

Im eager for tomorrow night. I hope Halak gets a shutout. I like how some said he wasnt a team player, you all seem to be forgetting at the organization’s insistence on putting Price in more often eventhough he was shitting the bed/ not getting wins pretty regularly. No player in the NHL worth anything would put up with that.

Do you post as E1 also? I can understand being a fan of Halak, but by hoping for a shutout, you are saying you hope the Habs don’t score which normally results in a loss.

• TomNickle says:

Complete garbage. I’m sorry to play this card. But you have no idea what you’re talking about. Hundreds of thousand of amateur and professional athletes fall victim to the numbers game. Especially in hockey.

Fact is. If Halak were that much better of a goaltender, he would have been kept. If he were that much better at the time, he would have started.

He did in fact do things that run contrary to what team first players do.

You know why people don’t say that Price is a team player? Because they don’t know. And for that reason, they don’t make up crap about the guy being a team player because they don’t have a leg to stand on.

This is what it is. Halak played very well, incredibly well at times with this organization. Let’s please leave it there.

There are currently four players on this team that I can say are team players based on evidence to suggest it.

Erik Cole
      Hal Gill
      Josh Gorges
      Brian Gionta

That’s it.

• SlovakHab says:

yeah, but there is no evidence that Plekanec, Eller, Desharnais, Emelin or Diaz etc. are NOT team players. I don’t know what evidence are you coming from. If there was ONE player that would not be a team player and was disrupting the dressing room, he’s be outta there in a moment.

• TomNickle says:

My point is merely that calling a guy a team player without any evidence to justify the comment is a fool hearted attempt at validating his worth.

I don’t call Carey Price a team player because I have no idea if he is one.

I call Erik Cole a team player because he flew Louis Leblanc’s parents to his first game. I call Brian Gionta one because he reached out to Erik Cole during contract negotiations. I call Hal Gill one because he’s spent extra time trying to help the development of our young defensemen and I call Josh Gorges one because he goes out of his way consistently to praise everyone else on the team for specific things they’ve done, not just lip service.

Halak did things that prove him to be the anti-team player. And I really don’t have a problem with it because it’s his job, his call, his future. But I have a problem with him being called a team player when, at the time, he clearly wasn’t one.

• SlovakHab says:

Valid points for sure, but how much can you see from what’s going on within a team..? 5%, 10%? Maybe that’s a stretch.
            For example Cole, it’s awesome that he flew LL’s parents to a game, but that’s one instance, not a consistent behavior. You can’t judge anyone based on 1 instance, especially when you have no idea what’s happening behind the curtains. On our current team (I don’t care about ex-players except for legends like Saku), I see no assholes & I’m sure they all help each other in one way or another.

• VancouverHab says:

Woah — Eller and DD have both praised Gomez (unprompted) for helping them out. And didn’t Gomer by the whole team gifts over Christmas?

I just don’t get your four-man list. Why are MaxPac or AK not team players? Or Darche? Or DD for that matter.

• LA Loyalist says:

Price wasn’t ready, he should have been in Hamilton. The games he played then are proof enough of that. But because we spent a #5 pick on him, and because Dryden and Roy had been legendary out of the box, they assumed Price would be, too.

We are damn lucky Price has matured and worked through all that, it’s a credit to him. But damn management for not bringing him up behind an Andy Moog / Jeff Hacket type veteran. They were wrong.

As for goalies being “team players” one, you have to look at any language issue (not just with goalies) and secondly, goalies are generally excused from normal human behavior, because most normal humans wouldn’t and couldn’t be goalies. Again, there are exceptions, Dryden was and remains as articulate and thoughtful as anyone on the planet, but he is the exception that proves the rule.

• TomNickle says:

Him not being ready was no excuse for Halak’s ultimatum. Don’t care how you spin it.

When you prove yourself, you can do things like that. Halak was a 9th round pick with limited NHL experience. Certainly not a player in a position to make demands like he did.

And on the team player thing. I don’t recall Price demanding to be put in the net.

• Duracell3 says:

“If he were that much better at the time, he would have started.”

…? You mean like when he completely outplayed Price and took his job?

• TomNickle says:

If you would like a history lesson you’ve got it. Halak had made one start. Got that? One start in the season at the time he gave management his ultimatum. So yeah. If he were that much better at the time, he would have been starting consistently. He wasn’t. At the midway point of the season, he was better, and because of that, became the starter.

Feel free to get your facts straight if you’re gonna chuck quotes back at me like it’s some pissing contest.

• LL says:

The quintessential comment to explain why an “ignore” button is necessary.

• Psycho29 says:

Sorry, management decided to go with the better goalie here. Even in St.Louis, Elliot is the number one goalie and Jaro is being thrown a bone tomorrow because the game is in Montreal. (Elliot is coming off a shutout last game).
      I liked Halak, but like any other player that leaves or is traded, they are now the opposition. This saga has gone on for too long, time to move on…..

• SlovakHab says:

Im eager for tomorrow night. I hope Eller gets a hattrick and Halak pulled in the second.
      The difference between me and you: I don’t post this on the Blues blog – I don’t give a crap about a team that I don’t support, or their overrated below-average sieve goalies.

• Habfan10912 says:

I don’t see how anyone with the benefit of hindsight, can criticize the organiztions handling of Price/ Halek.

• aj says:

@ The Cat: I wonder why there are still existing Halakite fans like you?

He has left the Habs since 2010. Give Price a chance….

• Bill says:

Just plain wrong. In fact, Halak won the starting job from Price. He was the go-to guy down the stretch. He was the Molson Cup player of the year. He was the playoff starter. According to you, none of this happened.

And no, he failed to be a “team player” the only time he was publicly tested, which was when his agent started chirping. He had the chance to say the right things FOR HIS TEAM and quietly tell his agent to shut up and negotiate in private. Obviously, that didn’t happen.

In fact, lots of players quietly suck it up when things aren’t going the way they like. We just don’t usually hear about … because those guys are Team Players who don’t put themselves ahead of the rest of the squad by going public with their grievances.

Full Breezer 4 Life

Bobcat Bob
      Not much of a Hab fan are you kitty cat!!!!

2. G-Man says:

With the news that Marchand has actually received a suspension, how long will it be before he is traded? 2 weeks? If he is, then we really know that there is a big stink in the NHL’s head office.

3. HabFab says:

HabsFutures is reporting Morgan Ellis as 3rd Star for the Week in the Q and Gallagher 1st Star for the Week in the WHL.

4. RC-51 says:

I’m SHOCKED Bs Marchand got 5gms, must be because he’s French!!

5. twilighthours says:

I wish people would stop calling Marchand a weasel or a rat. There’s no need to insult such fine, honorable animals.

—————————————————————–

Today on Habs Fans Therapy Web Site:

Session 1: What me? Frustrated!

In this module we take pot shots at HardHabits. This is a necessary expurgation which all Habs fans are expected to complete if they want to be considered TrueFans™. In this module we tackle Tanking™ Theory and how it conflicts with the Once-You-Make-The-Play-offs-Anything-Can-Happen Doctrine. Bear in mind that the Mantra must be repeated 100 times each day in order to bring about a complete disconnect from reality.

Session 2: Line Combos and Trades

In this module we delve into the concept of Tweaking™.
    Required software: NHL 12

Session 3: Anglo Angst

In this module we take a look at those nasty Bigots™ who are looking to use The Canadiens as a vehicle for alienating the Rest of Canada and the World from being Habs fans. Exercises include round table discussion of new relocation sites for the team and new names.

Examples: Brockville Flagsteppers, Toronto Army Snow Plows, Hamilton Condominiums

Session 4: Make the Play-offs or Else

In this module we contemplate a world where the Habs don’t make the play-offs. Bear in mind that this is an Advanced level course and can only be attended by those who have no history of Heart Failure and have never had a concussion. We realize that this excludes most of you but we are looking at reducing the requirements to this course. In the future all that will be required will be having passed the future Module entitled: Trading Away Prospects for Rentals.

• HabFab says:

You better get down from that “high horse” my friend. The lower oxygen at such great heights is affecting you. :)

• Bozo McBozo says:

I am kinda upset. I was told by the registrar that a seminar on The System would be available as well a a lecture series on gelling!

• HabFab says:

The gelling lectures are down the hall but are for the hair professionals only…not that there is anything wrong with that!

The System Seminar is on hold. The only certified instructor (believer and founder) is off spending his “severance check” before his ex can sue and get her 50% of that too (actually felt a twinge of pity there, okay gone now)

• HardHabits says:

Due to an unexpected Pearning™, Lectures on The System™ and Gelling™ will be replaced by an open session discussion on Size and Grit™. However in order to be eligible participants must first attend and complete the complimentary module: Two-way Forwards and Puck Moving Defence Men.

• G-Man says:

Do you honestly hate the team this much? If so, seek help, and the sooner the better. My view is that the more the team wins, the better they are. No need to call for management’s firing every day, or that the team should be blown up every day. Or that they should quit on the season. I want an honest effort from a character team. Is it likely the Habs will win the Cup this season? Hell no. Is it likely they will be the first team to pick on Draft Day 2012? Hell no.
      There are too many character players that make up the Habs this season that have had a horrid first half. Maybe, just maybe, they will right the good ship Hab and go on a tear. Do I expect it? Hell no, but it’s going to be fun to watch.

7. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I really hope Halak gets the warm welcome he deserves. Wherever you stood on the Halak/Price debate, I think it’s fair to say his attitude and committment to the team was exemplary. Not a bad word to be said about him as a person. I’d hate to hear him jeered or booed.

• TomNickle says:

Ummm. I’m not sure if you’re aware. But he demanded more playing time or a trade. Gave an ultimatum to management. That’s not exactly a “team” attitude.

Look, it’s their job, so I don’t personally have a problem with him saying it. But I’m also not going to call the guy a team player, because we have no evidence of that.

In fact, there is evidence to the contrary. On a TSN broadcast where the commentators caught him asking Price’s opinion on something, after which he denied receiving any help from Price, Price himself said that he did in fact give Halak encouragement and a pointer.

He also made a bad habit of throwing his arms in the air in frustration when a teammate screened him causing a goal. Not what team players do.

• LA Loyalist says:

Like Roy never ripped one of his D or someone for screwing up?

Goalies are given a lot of slack, and they generally deserve it unless they are proven jerks.

All Halak did was give us our biggest victories in years. The downside of that is it led us to believe the team was better than it is.

The pigeons have come home to roost. Let the Tanque ™ continue.

8. ffenliv says:

In this week’s 30 thoughts, Friedman claims that Derek Roy might be available, at a Salary of 5.5m, but a cap hit of 4m/year for this year and next, then he’s UFA.

From my point of view, he’s better than Kaberle for 4m. Of course, you’d have to dump some salary to take him, but the guy has little downside, aside from some injury troubles, if memory serves.

Any thoughts?

• ABHabsfan says:

LOVE to have Derek Roy. If this is possible, it should really be pursued. Tough to trade in your own division though. (or conference, or whatever)

• ffenliv says:

He has always been sort of on my hockey periphery. I know he plays in the division, so you hear about him, and I’ve seen him play a lot, but never really just watched him go to work.

For some reason I imagine him being good friends with Cole. On the OTHER hand, I’d rather not do anything to mess up Cole right now.

9. Stev.R says:

We’re going to have a good second half

10. SmartDog says:

Marchand gets 5 games.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

11. LL says:

I don’t care what team Habs are playing against tomorrow, or what goalie, they need to continue their winning streak.

And if you are “true” (borrowed expression from this site) Hab fans, you would want Eller to score lots of goals, and Price to get a shutout for harmony amongst fans, and disappearance of certain Tonys. ;)

Classic 14-game winning streak – 2 down, 12 more to go.

12. Propwash says:

The underlying issue in my view is the powerplay. The team must get it together if they want go go the distance.

_____________________________
    Don’t let the wultures getcha.

An area which Gomez and Markov could help us.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

I wonder if it isn’t time to give Eller’s line a shot on the PP. I don’t know what’s up with Cammy and Pleks, but they’ve lost that magic they had in the playoffs the last couple of years. Not necessarily as a permanent solution, but something needs to be shaken up on the PP.

13. deuce6 says:

Don’t know if this was posted, but this is a great article:

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

14. SmartDog says:

Does anyone know how Gomez’s long absence and Markov’s even longer one affects our cap space?

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• GrimJim says:

I don’t think so. If I’m reading the capgeek daily calculator correctly, even if Gomez and Markov start playing, and affecting the cap, today the Habs will still be $350,000 under the cap ceiling for the season.

• HabFab says:

And we started off the season around $2 million under.
          My point that I am trying to make is that LTIR does not create Cap Space as too many believe.

• neumann103 says:

Right. Doesn’t the cap relief only work if you sign or bring up a player to replace a player on LTIR? But they could retroactively put Markov on LTIR to the beginning of the season and then say they signed Campoli to replace Markov and the prorated portion of Campoli’s salary would come off the cap? So I think that potentially creates about $1.5M in cap space if they needed to use it.

But would they have to demote/move someone when Markov comes back to make this “legal”?

“Et le but!”

• HabFab says:

No, it only means they can “exceed the Cap” by Campoli’s salary until Markov returns “if they have to”. Not accumulative.
            Markov is still on the LTIR from last season.
            Yes, they need to revert to previous players salary when they return.
            And since Campoli went on LTIR himself, it would take a team of lawyers to keep this one straight.
            Another point is that LTIR doesn’t kick in until 24 days or 10 games (close if not 100%).

15. SmartDog says:

“Gomez says he’s not quite ready.”

Quite ready for what? To score goals? Can’t be that. To back check? Can’t be that. To win faceoffs… nope.
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

16. HabFab says:

Checked out the NHLPA CBA for Conditioning stints in the minors as regards Ryan White.
    There are two types; a 2-week stint or a 6-day / 3 games maximum stint.
    From reading them, it appears the 6-day / 3 games maximum is the one that would apply to White…but I’m no lawyer!

Thanks for doing that. Good news is, with RC showing faith in Blunden no reason to think RC won’t give White some wiggle room as he gets his legs back with the Habs.

17. TomNickle says:

No Post-Mordem for the Steelers today Mr. Boone?

18. Harding27 says:

Gilbert Brule has been placed on re-entry waivers by the oilers…his salary is 1.85m….think the habs could be a good fit for brule?

• Habfan10912 says:

I’ll pass. We need to be getting bigger. We already have too many smallish forwards.

• 24 Cups says:

You know what scares me about Brule? He has played for the worst two franchises in the NHL (next to Long Island) since he was drafted in ’06(after Carey) and hasn’t been able to break through. That has to be a red flag.

I think his best bet is to try and make it as a 4th line checker/penalty kill guy. He’s welcome to try out for Montreal next year on a two-way, $550,000 contract. There’s no room for him on RW so he would have to make it as a centre. I’m not too keen on having my 4th line guy being 5’10″ so….

• Les Canayens says:

Also, reading his Wikipedia entry is like reading a glossary of hockey players’ injuries. He hasn’t have a single healthy season.

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
        ☞ I can’t really hear what Jeremy says, because I’ve got my two Stanley Cup rings plugging my ears.☜

• bleedhabs81 says:

The only Brule I want is that of Creme.

I actually kind of liked this guy a few years back but he just never did anything

Another player in the legacy of Doug Maclean bad draft choices.

• ed lopaz says:

brule had 39 goals and 169 penalty minutes in his draft year playing for the WHL Vancouver Giants.

I would have drafted him.

maybe if he was drafted and played for philly or boston he would be a big star today??

I could not tell the difference between Brule and Giroux in junior.

And given that Brule played with a serious edge and played in a much better league I would have bet that Brule would be more likely to become an NHL star.

confidence has a lot to do with success and knowing some big bodies have your back lets you play the game with much more energy.

• Psycho29 says:

I remember listening to the draft on Team-990 while painting my deck (Now that’s Canadian, eh?), and the Habs drafted Carey Price…..
          All I heard was Pierre McGuire saying “Oh no, no, they are not addressing their needs….”
          I think he said later on that they should have taken Brule…

Tough to figure out why no team has hired McGuire as GM…;-)

• Mr. Biter says:

Good memory.

Mr. Biter

• Exit716 says:

I think he was suggesting Marc Staal or the late Luc Bourdon as picks due to the impending free agency of Rivet, Souray and Markov.

• ihabto says:

I was watching that draft after having watched Brule play in the WHL a few times and hearing about him all year and was so pissed they left him on the board and took Price…I was sooo wrong.

• theox_8 says:

he (pierre) said that they should have taken kopitar because they needed to address their needs, a big centerman who can put up points, not brule.

• otter649 says:

Brule was rated in the top 5 at the time of the draft by Central Drafting…..

Barry Larkin is the only one to make it in 2012.

20. Mattyleg says:

Thanks HiB!! It’s like I’m there! I can see it… The snaking cables, the keys popping off, the hard drives whirring… My money goes with the best speller. It’s kinda my thing.

21. aj says:

I want to know if there’s any news at all regarding to Ryan White. He hasn’t played lately and last week, he’s been skating with Gomez on the other side of the practice rink. If he’s available for contact, why can’t he substitute for Pacioretty instead of Gomez? How about calling Leblanc from the Bulldogs for the time being.

He had a sports hernia operation, major long term rehab. for that injury/surgery.

He continues to skate on his own, will be ready sometime near all star break is what I believe I last saw for an update.

• 123456 says:

white has not played this year – i prefer he gets 100% before he comes back.

IF (oh my thats a big if) the habs can claw their way into the playoffs they will be one of the hottest teams come april.

• 24 Cups says:

It’s really too bad that White couldn’t play this year. A sports hernia takes quite a while to totally heal.

I would imagine he will eventually get a two week conditioning stint in Hamilton (which I believe is allowed). After that he has to pass through waivers which he would never clear. If we have a full 23 man squad, that would mean either Darche or Blunden would have to be sent down with the chance they could be picked up by another team. I can’t see losing White over either one of these guys.

One of Mr Gauthier’s mistakes this summer was thinking he could go with Engqvist as a 4th like centre. Bad move. A 4th line comprised of Darche/Steckel/White would have been great.

Which begs the question, when will Blair Betts ever return to the Philly line-up? He would have been a decent fill-in for the short term in Montreal.

Which begs another question. Is White coming back next year as a RW or a centre? Is Leblanc finished as a possible centre for Montreal?

RW could be really crowded in Montreal next fall.

• HabFab says:

One of the RDS guy’s twittered last week that White will be sent down soon for reconditioning. I believe it is a 3 game max now. Also this week is the max timeline given originally after his surgery.

• Habfan10912 says:

Maybe he’ll play in the outdoor classic. That would be good news for Chrisadiens and I. Sorry for being selfish. – )

Is there a special exemption on extending the conditioning period in AHL? I thought I read or heard that somewhere, I know 3 games is the norm., but thought there was a special exemption.

• Phil C says:

I believe reconditioning assignments are exempt waivers as long as it is only 14 days. As well, I am pretty sure that Blunden is on a two way contract, so he should be exempt waivers as well. Darche would have to clear waivers.

• aj says:

@ 24 Cups:

Hopefully, White’s reconditioning and recovery would be done ASAP. Until then, we might get stuck for a while with the newly rejuvenated/recovered “Top 6 Forward” (just by the thought of it irks me!) who will join w/ Cole and Desharnais.

22. Mattyleg says:

Aww! Fight! And I missed it! And I have to post from my phone, so I can’t even post in appropriate spots! Aww! Sucks being me! And I won’t even know if people respond to this or not unless they say they are! Awwwww!!

23. Questions to get yourself blocked on Allan Walsh’s twitter account.

What’s the fastest way to get traded?

Let your agent speak out loud.

Shane Oliver
    http://www.Sholi2000.com Inc.
    Custom Sports Figures
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

• jimmy shaker says:

The constant need to bash Jaro on here is really quite amusing. Keeping Price up on your pedestal at Jaro’s expense! How do you spell insecure?

Shaker

• Bill J says:

Hey Jimmy. Just a little perspective for you here. I respect ya, but this post was kinda trollish in nature loaded with assumptions, and linguistic lackings on your behalf.

1) Shane didnt bash Jaro. He Bashed Alan Walsh DESERVINGLY.
        2) Perhaps your own insecurities are showing here, because you read “ALAN WALSH” and chose to assume some fairly ignorant thoughts about Shane.

Shane is good peeps, no need to be ignorant with him. Hell for that matter, we could all afford to try a new years resolution and read posts twice before replying, would have avoided your “From left field” post.

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

• jimmy shaker says:

Thanks Bill, while your reply is welcomed, I think it’s a little off. Yes Walsh should have kept his comments internal while jaro was a member of the Habs which I totally agree with Shane……..my beef is with Shane and his numerous jabs of jaro as a member of the Habs and now as a Blue. I have read many posts where Shane has jabbed Jaro over his rebound control, soft goals, stats etc. While I understand Shane is a fan of Price, I don’ t agree with his bashing of Jaro to prop Carey up. I wasn’t trolling or making blind assumptions about Shane, I’m very sure if you asked him or read previous posts of Shane’s, you would see the digs yourself. Anyhow, I like Jaro, I’m glad he had a good tenure here, I wish him well, and hope Price can bring the team back to the promised land. He has the tools, and I have faith in him. And once again, no malice intended, just pointing out the facts

• Sigh….

Thanks Bill, at least you get it. Walsh is an idiot, and I’m sure when his contract is up Jaro will be dumping his ass. He’s embarrassed him more than once in the last three years.

Shane Oliver
        http://www.Sholi2000.com Inc.
        Custom Sports Figures
        Brandon, MB,Canada
        R7B 2R7
        hockey@sholi2000.com
        Ph- 204 724 8418

• Jaro = class all the way
        Allan Walsh = king of idiots

Not Jaro’s fault.

24. keepthefaith says:

Member Profile: Hard Habits
    Whiner and chronic complainer since birth.
    Favorite Hab: None
    I just want the team to lose so I can be right and justify my 1 million tank posts.

25. keepthefaith says:

As usual HH your post makes no sense with your argument. As your were

26. keepthefaith says:

Ok I was a little hard on Halak. But we’ve got this love affair with players who used to play here that is very unhealthy. Cut the ties folks.

27. habs03 says:

How overpaid are Gionta and Cammy. 1M, 1.5m?

Those guys are paid to score goals, lets look at their numbers, including playoff games for their 1st two season with the Habs.

Gionta 37 goals in 80 games
    and 32 goals in 89 games

Cammy 39 goals in 84 games
    and 29 goals in 72 games

• likehoy says:

I would say Gionta is over paid by 500k and cammalleri 1.5m

they should both be paid at 4.5m

Gionta brings a better overall game than cammalleri.. but cammalleri has more offensive potential.. it’s unfortunate that hasn’t panned out for cammalleri but Gionta’s held up his bargain.

- If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

28. HABitat4humanity says:

Get the most out of Gomez as you can. He’s a great set up guy & can score more than we think. He works well with Gionta & Cam.

I think the habs are a playoff team although all the talent, chemistry & confidence, needs to be unleashed by RC.

Can Emelin also please lead a clinic in body checking to the rest of the team? We let the opposing team in our zone with minimal hitting. Even little boy Marchand knows how to hit. Can you imagine Desharnais hitting like that?

Also, can we practice our point shots with a little more accuracy? PK has a bomb of a shot but with little to no placement.

I say we put Gill on the PP and park him in front of the net like Chara does from time to time.

This is how I would pair the offense.

Des, Pac, Cole
    Gomez Cam, Gionta
    Kos, Eller, Pleks
    Moen, Nok, Blunden

29. Phil C says:

I liked RC’s comments about Gomez, saying that he has top six talent, but that whether or not he is on the 1st or 4th line, he has skills that can help the team. That is masterful communication; he pumps up his guy without committing to anything. Sounds to me like RC is going to make Gomez earn his ice time. I really hope Pacioretty plays tomorrow so that Gomez does not automatically get bumped up to the top line.

Two seasons ago, there were stretches where Gomez played well. Last year he was awful all season. What if the groin was the problem? Groin injuries are awful and take forever to heal. We saw Kesler play through a hip injury in the finals last year and he went from being a lock for the Conn Smythe trophy to being a complete non-factor in the finals. Gomez has always been a set-up guy. The Habs now have some wingers who can score so maybe he can find some chemistry in the line-up. He still has all the physical tools (speed, strength, stick handling) to be a good 2nd line centre in the league. I really don’t think RC will give him top centre minutes because of his salary like JM did, which used to drive me crazy. Worst case scenario, he ends up on the 4th line killing penalties and taking key faceoffs while chipping in offensively on occasion. If you don’t factor in salary, he is an upgrade on Nokelainen. I am happy to see him back because he will make them a better team if he is used properly.

• nunacanadien says:

I guess this means we better hope Gomez actually contributes to the level he is reported as contributing to. Fact is I don’t see the top 6 teams all eager to take Gomez off our hands though. I don’t see a top 6 contribution in his statistics. Maybe we’re missing something, but we haven’t heard the rookies nor the new acquisitions play up Gomez’s top 6 leadership and mentoring skills. Let’s hope we don’t see Gomez being a top 6 give away forward, a top 6 flat on his back forward, and a top 6 small forward (which Gomez would wins hands down probably the smallest forward)….

• Phil C says:

Gomez is 5′ 11″ and listed at 198 lbs. He is not small for a centre in the NHL. According to NHL.com stats, he would rank 97th out of 219 centres for weight, which makes him bigger than the majority of centres in the NHL. http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20122ALLCACALL&sort=player.weight&viewName=bios&pg=4

No one will take him off our hands because of his salary, not because he can’t play. He is grossly overpaid, but that is irrelevant for the rest of this season because there are no free agents to sign, so the money is useless to the Habs. Let’s see if RC can get more out of him than JM did. He doesn’t HAVE to be top six to help the team this year.

30. keepthefaith says:

Another typical day at the HIO office. Gomez bitching, HH crying and some crazy ass trade talk.
    I’ve suffered threw enough bad trades in my Hab fan career , but if we trade ANYTHING for Penner I might not make it. Anything includes broken sticks and even HH ‘s posts about tanking. That’s how bad it is.
    And (deleted) Halak. Thanks for the memories. My new ones will be of Eller going top shelf on your little ass.

• G-Man says:

All good save for the last paragraph. Then, you get obscene and rude.

• Habsrule1 says:

That’s obscene? I suppose if there are 4 year olds on the site :-P

Go Habs Go!!

• G-Man says:

Telling someone to s— it on a site like this is over the top.

• Habsrule1 says:

Ok. If you say so. I agree it’s rude but over the top?

Whatever. In bad taste if nothing else.

Go Habs Go!!

• HabFanSince72 says:

“Suck it” isn’t obscene though.

My understanding is that “suck it” refers to the inhaling action one makes as one prepares for a physical or mental challenge. In any case it means “take it without complaining”.

It is not a reference to fellatio.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Obscene maybe, but going top shelf on Halak’s ass is anatomically impossible.

• nunacanadien says:

There is a reason why we bitched and continue to do so, cause we all know the impact that Gomez has had and having his cap space used up like that etc. But really, I know Gomez brings a lot of speed and tenacity, but unfortunately, all of it flat on his back after being checked off the puck. I guess Cunneyworth is gonna dress up Gomez in a cheerleader’s uniform maybe…..Go GOMEZ go! But let’s hope Gomez helps us to win more games, that is my only hope. If he earns his keep to the end of the season then we’ll know why he was paid the big bucks.

31. habs001 says:

Karlsson was minus 30 last year…this year on pace for 80 points and only 21…

32. Habsrule1 says:

Hey, I agree that he doesn’t really deserve another chance, but I’m interested to see if RC can get anything out of Gomez.

Go Habs Go!!

33. Kooch7800 says:

Hypothetical – Would you trade Gio ( if he accepted -no trade clause)
    and a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Dustin Penner (once he has recovered from the pancake incident)?

Gio is good but is getting old….penner is a big power forward who is struggling big time. If you had him on a line with Eller-AK-Penner…that would be a pretty big line and having Max P- DD-Cole , that would give us a big bump in the size department…..would be risky but Gio is the same…risky

• TomNickle says:

I said it at last years’ deadline and I’ll say it again. Dustin Penner is not a fit for this team. Forget his laziness and soft play. He isn’t nearly fast enough to keep pace with a single line on this team. For a big forward to be effective here, they need to be fast. This is precisely why the team has Eller, Pacioretty and Cole. They can keep up.

Slow forwards are a bad fit here.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Penner is brutal…

• G-Man says:

Penner is a big lazy guy that would compare poorly with whom many here call Guimauve. He doesn’t play with much of an edge, either. Only had 1 good year in the NHL. He doesn’t merit consideration. All for getting another skill player with size and a nasty streak.

• Kooch7800 says:

He is an underachiever that is for sure but he has had 4 seasons over 20 goals and one over 30. so you can’t say one good season.

in 2010 he had 32 goals and 31 assists and the next season he was 2010-2011 was on a decent pace until he got traded to LA. When he hit LA he went down the crapper again.

• shiram says:

Hahahah! no.
      I would not want Penner for Gio straight up either.

edit : also would prefer Habs to sign AK46 long term, whom some compared to Penner last season.

• G-Man says:

Keep Cole, Moen and AK. Try to add 1 more big body with speed who doesn’t give himself the Aunt Jemima Treatment. Habs should get some nasty pics of the Blue Jackets GM and land Nash. Then, Gomez could go on injury reserve. There, all fixed.

• Kooch7800 says:

suprisingly enough, there are a lot of similarities between the two players. I was thinking that when I looked at the stats…

• shiram says:

I’ll take AK over Penner, for sure, at least his style of play fits in with the rest of the Habs.
          Penner’s work ethic seem very lacking, and he seems to be coasting on his size more than anything.

• otter649 says:

Who knows Penner might want to come to Montreal as his wife (an actress) is from Montreal – The ex Mrs. Richard Zednick……

• Furk says:

I would trade Gio for Penner straight up, and I have suggested it a couple times before. The main reason not being because Penner is better than Gio, but we get rid of a small forward and 5mil in cap space (Penner is a UFA at year end). That cap space can go a long way to sign Subban and Price in the off-season, plus getting rid of Gio will make room for another smurf called Gallagher who is fiesty and younger.

34. Ghosts of the Forum says:

With all due respect to Messrs. Boone, Stubbs, Hickey, Mio and Cowan, it appears as though the best headline of 2012 has already been written…

35. Curtis O Habs says:

Does Geoff Molson know the videos are tagged at the end, ” by HabsInsideOutVideos ” ?

36. Sbah Reverof says:

To whom was Cunneyworth referring? :)

“I respect your opinion, but you’re completely wrong!”

Interesting that HI/O conveniently left out the part where RC says Gomez will have to earn his minutes. He did say he fits into a top 6 role, but the exclusion of the earning minutes, create more hits on website maybe?

38. Psycho29 says:

I guarantee Marchand will get more than a slap on the wrist…If he gets less than 2 games I will be surprised.

As I posted yesterday, He is a repeat offender. In the past he has received 2 games for a hit to the head on a Bluejacket.
    Also, a $2,500 fine for a slew foot.

39. punkster says:

Gomez coming back soon?

I’m so pumped.

Matty, how much do you want for that jersey?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

40. The Dude says:

To all my fellow Canadians and Canadiens .As a Canadian citizen”born Anglo in Montreal in 59 and raised in Montreal and then later Les Laurentians ,then moved to Vancouver Island at 17″ I have to say that if 8 million francophone Quebecois and also fellow Canadians want French as a 1st language in La Belle then FAR OUT MAN! I also want to thank the Canadian Quebecois Francophone ‘s for their help in making our Country one of the best places on this planet…if not the best! We rock!

41. RiverviewCanadien says:

The Blues vs Les Canadiens, should be a good game to watch tomorrow.

It would be sweet if Lars opens the scoring against Halak. It would be even sweeter if he had another hat trick.

GO HABS GO!

• aj says:

The bad part is that those Halakites who were fans during his outsanding tenure back in 2009 will be hounding the current fans if Eller f***s up tommorrow night!

42. gK_HabsFan says:

I do not know if this has been posted yet, but this is from the protest. Pretty funny stuff!

-GK-

43. habs03 says:

I wonder what some fans would say if Boucher was coaching the Habs, when it came to “toughness”. Boucher seems to really like “soft” players that are smart, like Pyatt.

• Kooch7800 says:

Cunneyworth is a better coach than Boucher. We may not see it cause of the language issue but he will be a good NHL coach. He communicates and adapts during the game…JM is a good coach but is a dino in the new NHL

44. ed lopaz says:

lets see if Gomez can skate hard and work hard when we don’t have the puck.

can he chase down a puck carrier and force a play?

can he forecheck hard, force defenceman to make quicker and often worse decisions with the puck?

I am not expecting him to hit anyone.

He just never put on the 15-20 lbs of muscle that his body needed to finish his hits at the NHL level.

So instead of hitting, use your skating Gomez to disrupt the flow of the other team when they have the puck.

backchecking always – and with the same speed and determination expected on the forecheck.

get implicated in the play.

help to retrieve the puck and control the play in all 3 zones.

40-45 seconds of all out, full speed, both ways, up and down skating, and then change.

if you can play like that, Gomez, you have a spot in the lineup.

• aj says:

Ok, this looks interesting. We now have an inconsistent player going to a very strong attack line. Let’s see:

Gomez-Desharnais-Cole

My impression for the 1st line if this is the setup for tommorrow: hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

The Canadiens are trying to win 3 in a row and they can afford to put a clown in their lineup? Pls RC, don’t insult people’s intelligence! Everybody knows what #11 can and can’t do and unfortunately, the can’t dos far exceed the SHOULD’VE HAD capabilities for the past 3yrs now.

45. Bripro says:

So I wonder if Shanahan will trap Marchand-the-rat.
    If he needs some cheese, I’ll kindly offer some excellent Quebec Brie,
    to try and draw the little weasel in.
    Can’t stand that little b*$!*rd!

46. pierre lapuck says:

IMHO it’s not the fact that DD, Gomez, Gio, Cammy, are small it’s that we have so many small guys. If and when the brain trust decides to move/ and or restock the team consideration needs to be given to how many little guys we have. Briere, Skinner, St. Loius, etc. are all the only little guys are their respective teams so the size issue isn’t an issue. When we have an entire line of potential limbo champions that’s when we have trouble. So, if gallagher is coming then all the rest need to go, or you get the picture. I also like Cammy’s scoring potentia and pedigree and have to think give him linemates with some grit and skill and he scores. I don’t care if her scores 40 but if scores 15-20 in the second half I think the Habs make the playoffs.

47. kempie says:

FWIW, Tommy Pyatt got a 2-year extension @ $600k (one way).

48. shiram says:

Dustin Penner threw out his back while eating pancakes.
    And some wanted the Habs to trade for him! Ah!

• Mattyleg says:

PG was an idiot to not get him.
      And getting rid of Guidoune was the worst thing a GM has ever done.
      Hmm, any other ineffectual fatties that I’ve overlooked?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• LA Loyalist says:

I was one of them, I confess. I was SO wrong. And I was wrong about Kaberle, too… though on that one I had plenty of company.

About Gomez however, I was right – though I would have preferred to be wrong… does that make any sense?

Happy Monday.

• Mattyleg says:

Heh heh. Nice admissions.
        I think the jury’s still out on Gomez. He’s been injured more than he’s played so far this year.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• mdp2011 says:

LOL, I thought you were joking and made this story up, but I just found the article, wow talk about being out of shape!!!!

Here is a quote from Penner “I just leaned over to dip into some delicious pancakes that my wife made. It’s just like it [the pain] wraps around you and squeezes. So it was disappointing. Hopefully it’s just an isolated incident, and not something that’s going to become chronic.”

49. habs001 says:

There are a lot of issues why the habs are where they are but i really believe the one issue that would resolve a lot of our problems is the pp…if we had a top 10 pp we would not be in this predicament…

50. mfDx says:

If I’m not mistaken, didn’t Gomez’ last return from injury help snap a 4-5 game win streak for thebHabs?

Sent from my CHphone

Habs should get MAB back. JM stifled him. RC will unleash the true beast that MAB is.

52. habs001 says:

faceoff stats can be misleading as the % of wins include faceoffs from all over the ice thru out an entire game….who is our faceoff guy if we are leading in the third and its the last minute of the period and faceoff in our zone?

• shiram says:

I don’t have those stats, but it was interesting to see that only Nokia does not have worst road faceoffs %. DD, Eller and Pleks all have worst road faceoffs %.
      Well Gomez was actually better on the road for faceoffs too.

53. shiram says:

So Columbus did not offer Martin a job, anyone care to share their thoughts on wether or not he will get another NHL head coach job any time soon?

54. Propwash says:

I’m not expecting miracles from Gomez, but to me, RC’s more aggressive style just might make him a better offensive threat.

_____________________________
    Don’t let the wultures getcha.

55. Hobie Hansen says:

Montreal has to load up three of their four lines with as much size as possible again this week.

Desharnais-Cole-Pacioretty
    Eller-Moen-Kostitsyn
    Plekanec-Gionta-Cammalleri
    Nokelainen-Blunden-Darche

The six defenseman should be: Kaberle, Subban, Emelin, Gorges, Gill and Campoli.

Diaz has played well but dressing seven defenseman isn’t my thing.

This team needs White back in a major way and Gill’s retirement can’t come soon enough. 9 of 10 defenseman anywhere close to Gill’s size have a nasty streak and really finish their checks. Gill is way too soft and so is our overall defense.

Can’t wait for Tinordi to be ready.

So John Liu is tweeting that RC says Gomez role upon return is suited to Top 6, but that he will have to earn his playing time. He has not been cleared yet.

57. habMAINEac says:

I’d like to share my personal opinion about the language issue surrounding my beloved Habs team:
    As an American who was born overseas and as a former resident of Montreal, I do agree the language of Quebec as a province should be respected. In fact I can even understand why so many Quebecers are touchy with this matter. But their concern is being channelled incorrectly.
    Folks, this is an athletic club and not a cultural tool. How come it’s not ok to have an Anglophone for coach, but it’s ok to have players from so many different countries? How come it’s ok to have a non-Francophone as our captain? I mean it’s really pathetic when stupid things like this make a mockery of our team…echoed by player refusals to play for Mtl (not saying this is the only reason).
    I love the city of, and the Habs of Montreal. But we need to understand our NHL team is not a banner we can waive to make cultural statements. If it is, then we should get rid of every single non-Francohone on the team…starting with the owner all the way down to trainers. Randy doesn’t win/lose games, Gio doesn’t win/lose games, Darche doesn’t win/lose games….the TEAM does…and it sure doesn’t win/lose in French or in English.

That said, I would like to give kudos and respect to Randy. He’s been thrown under the bus, yet has remained focused on the task at hand…delivering some good results. I admire his professionalism. The way our players are responding to him shows they like him too. I hope we’ll make the playoffs and win the cup this year…it would be hell of a slap on the faces of losers who insist speaking French is requirement number one.

I suggest chants of Randy Randy during the games. Also those of us interested should write to management voicing our opinions. Does anyone have email addresses for Molson and or PG?

Mediocre teams work at their best; teams seeking excellence strive to do better.

• HabsFan1111 says:

Here, here!!!

Could not agree more, well said.

• G-Man says:

It’s about the history between the French and the English from pre-Bill 22. When French speaking people could never be managers, only workers. Where there wasn’t a glass ceiling for English people in Montreal, but there was one for French people.

I suggest checking out the history of it a little more. The Rocket became a symbol of the Quebecois and perhaps if you watched the movie you may get an appreciation of what was going on here in Montreal during that time.

• habsfan0 says:

…and now,it appears..the pendulum has swung completely the other way.

• HabsFan1111 says:

Thanks for the history lesson G-Man, now please explain what that has to do with what language(s) our coach speaks?

• G-Man says:

Head coach is a management position. In order to hold a management position in Montreal, you have to be bilingual. All straight?

• HabsFan1111 says:

So you think every person holding a ‘management position’ on the island is biligual? Funny. BTW I am a very proud Quebecor and am all for protection of the French language in general and I loved the Rocket movie. One of my favourite movies of all time in fact. There is a big difference between discriminating against a group of people and the mother tongue of the coach of a sports team. We’re not talking about the PM, Premier, Mayor, hell I bet every single City worker is bilingual, but the coach of a hockey team?!? I guess all the players should be bilingual too? It would be ideal, but this isn’t the 1950′s.

So Marchand has his hearing today with Shanahan, perhaps they will spend an hour discussing the spelling on Marchand’s tatoo, then come out of the meeting and announce that because Marchand is shorter than Salo, it is not his fault. Also a followup meeting will be scheduled with Salo informing him that he will be suspended upon returning from injury for trying to break Marchands back for landing on him.

59. avatar_58 says:

Gomez is ripe for bashing but frankly the team is playing like ass. Yes – even if with the recent wins, it’s not like they beat strong teams here.

So frankly I say give the guy a shot when he returns. It can’t get any worse, this season is already basically over.

• habMAINEac says:

As much as I don’t think he fits in our future plans, I think it is a fair call to give the man a chance…of let’s say 20 games?

• avatar_58 says:

I’m just saying guys like Plek aren’t getting it done offensively. We’re celebrating Eller despite having less than a dozen goals. If we take off our habs-coloured glasses for a minute this team blows chunks.

So it really doesn’t matter who plays on which line – so long as they show progress. If Gomez somehow comes back with his hair on fire, so be it. Let him bring his A game and maybe he’ll even be tradeable. You never know…

• habMAINEac says:

Sure hope so. I think he’s a smooth skater, and that in the right system he’ll excel….let’s just say I hope it will happen :)

60. lenny says:

Did anybody notice with a couple of seconds left to go in the game PK was chatting it up…Georges quickly skated over to him and told him to Shut the F@@k up…well at least that what it looked like….

61. Mattyleg says:

Talking about replacing a 4th-liner like Darche or Nokia with Gomez is a silly idea. Those players are willing to get their noses dirty, and are both very good penalty-killers. Gomez is strong at neither of those things.

What they do with him is a really really tough question. Wouldn’t want to be in RC’s shoes…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• habs03 says:

Also reponding to you post below.

But RC sat Nok on saturday and double shifted the Centres, DD Eller, Plek, while Nok is better suited for a 4th line role, RC might put Gomez there and use him on the PP. I agree with you that it isn’t an ideal lineup, but I think the team is willing to give Gomez a one last fair shot at redeeming himself.

• Mattyleg says:

I think that the Canadiens will give Gomez another chance too.
        I also think they should, but it’s tough to figure where he fits into a tea that is beginning to work fairly well.
        I’d like to see him play on the LW, though, as he tends to go there anyway, and NEVER plays in front of the net.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• shiram says:

I’m guessing Moenster gets to ride the 4th line, and Gomez on the wing with AK and Eller, but that’s just a guess.
      Still rather have the Moenster with Eller and AK though.

If RC finds a way to make Gomez relevant and helpful to this team, I would like to then Nominate RC for Coach of the Year.

Go RC Go!

63. who cares any more says:

“Don’t panic: Max Pacioretty is home with the flu.”

I think you meant to write: “Don’t panic: Gomez won’t be back any time soon.”

definition of insanity: keep doing same thing expecting a different result

64. slamtherimtim says:

Once healthy Gomez should be sent down asap , he has had his chance and here is another , how many games until he is in game shape , we should be letting the young players decide the rest of the season. Hate how this guy gets a free ride , because of what he did 5 years ago , the last 3 he has sucked , oh wait a minute they will sit PK or eller again when they lose , it cant be Gomer’s fault can it

Paging HH , i need to be cheered up , where you at

• G-Man says:

The first playoff year he was here, he and Gill had an argument over how the team should play. Gill’s passive stick-swinging along the ice prevailed (part of JM’s SYSTEM™). Gomez was for more attacking and a high pressure game.
      Seeing as how RC seems to be leaning more Gomez’s way, how about seeing if he can use his speed to effect for a few games? Besides, there are many veterans underperforming this season, like Cammy and Gionta. Going with youth NEVER works long term. Playing against seasoned vets, they will be schooled.

Of course, if after a few games, it’s the same old story, then it’ll be time to hire the hitman. ;)

• slamtherimtim says:

i hope your right , i may be self employeed if your wrong. getting schooled may not be a bad thing as thats how you learn, so i wouldn’t mind losing that way

65. habs001 says:

We have to hope that gomez contributes greatly in the second half…we all know where the habs are after half a season in pp,goals for ,faceoff wins and league standings….as i said before to make the playoff it is not good enough just to have a second half that a good playoff team has…we have to have as many points in the second half as is expected from an elite cup contending team… can you have a below average first half and come back as a top 3 team in the league ..the odds are not good since we have been a 15th overall type team the previous 2 years…

• shiram says:

Habs need about 53 points, to get to a possible playoff spot, giving a total of 92 points. Thats just what Detroit has got in 41 games, so the Habs have to play like the best teams to stand a chance to get one of the last playoffs spots.

• habs001 says:

You are correct…posters have to realize that if the habs make the playoffs it would be a phenomenal effort based on where they are in the standings and in their positioning in many stat categories half way thru the season

• G-Man says:

Habs need to go 26-14-1 to get in at the requisite 92 points. 12games over .500 not possible? I believe it is.
        Then again, it’s Monday and my meds have worn off…

• shiram says:

The top teams in the league have 26 wins right now, at just about half-way point in the season, so for the Habs to get those 26 wins in 41 games, they need to play and win like a top team.

I don’t think they have the pieces to do it, though I’d love to be wrong.

66. habs03 says:

To be fair, Gomez hasn’t played only 12 games this season. I hope he comes back healthy and plays the rest of the season. From then on its pretty simple, if is produces, and plays well, he’ll have a spot on the team next season or another NHL team. If not, his agent better look at European cities where Gomez can play next year.

I don’t mind taking a risk on Gomez at the time, but Ryan McDonagh is a beast. The way he is playing this year is just wow. Would be our best D-men if he was on our team :(

67. j0nHABS says:

What good is it to have Gomez on the wing. He can’t hit the broad side of barn with that shot of his, it’s as wild as a hyena in heat. His only assets are gaining the zone and passing, how is that going to work playing on the wing when that wouldn’t be his responsibilities.
    The question is which center would be better on the wing than him? And would you really want to move one of them anyway considering how well they have been playing.
    DD is really the only choice in my mind that would still be productive in that role. But DD is still better in the center position.
    Maybe it’s finally time to move Gomez to the AHL until they can try to move him in the summer to a team trying to get to the cap floor.
    Gomez just doesn’t fit with this team anymore!

68. HabsfanoftheHabs says:

So would this be overdoing it? So many of us cannot make it to the Bell Centre to ‘respond’ to the recent protests. How about a petition?

How about a goal of 21,273 signatures supporting our Habs no matter their language?

69. JayK-47 says:

It’s good training for Gomez. He gets to see how a center can use his stick to work the puck and pass to open teammates in the offensive zone instead of his cross blue line/hit brakes/ pass to empty ice technique of the last couple of years.

I wish him the best of luck in his hockey endeavor though and I hope he puts his Man-vs-Food and comedy careers behind him.

70. RGM says:

Pittsburgh has announced that Staal and Neal will both be out for several weeks of action.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

71. jon514 says:

Nash is willing to waive his NTC. If he’s really on the block, can you please make it happen PG? Big RWs are a force in this league and Cole has worked out. Please oh Please Ship out Gio, Camm and Gomez for Nash!

“Let’s be clear on the facts…”

• Mattyleg says:

Yep, Nash would love to get out of a team that has no hope to be a playoff contender, only to go to a team that’s near the bottom of the east.
      It’ll totally happen.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• G-Man says:

It’s a long time until 2017. That’s when his contract runs out. It’s a 7.8mil cap hit. Nice goal scoring average of .43 per game thus far in his NHL career for 35 goals each season. Plays left wing (at least he is listed as one).
      Gionta not going anywhere and neither is Gomez (unless he is demoted). Cammy is a possibility but his NTC precludes that idea.
      Unfortunately, there is no room unless both AK and Pleks are swapped for him. And that’s about 45 goals for swapped for 35 goals for. Not a good deal.

• bleedhabs81 says:

A 35 goal scorer is rarer than two players that can get you 45 goals… so I don’t think you can strictly look at it as a total sum of goals gained or lost.

The thing with a 35+ goal scorer is they are not easily replaced (not saying Pleks is either, based on his 2 way play) and they only take up one roster spot. I think this is more valuable than having two players with equal or slightly more production. Reason being, it takes two roster spots and the 35+ goal scorer has the potential to carry a team. Also, if you have 35+ goal scorer on your line, chances are you will also see your goal production also increase (rebounds, garbage ricochets, etc).

If you asked me two years ago who I would rather have Gionta (30-35 goals) + Moen (7-10 goals) + Moore (5 goals) or Nash (35 goals), well, Nash would win even though he has less goals than all three.

It is much easier to replace the lesser goal scorers than it is to find someone like Nash.

72. ghg31price says:

Maybe with Cunny’s new way off playing Gomez will fit right in!

73. shiram says:

Does Gomez really have a place on the Habs anymore? Can he play wing?
    Bah I’m glad that’s not my headache.

74. CanadienBoy says:

Blue jacket fire coach

• Les Canayens says:

Does his replacement speak English?

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

75. Ali says:

actually they’d take Nashville, just not Columbus

76. shiram says:

Gomez can list three teams he will not accept a trade to.
    Cammy also has a limited no trade clause, and I don’t know what Gio’s NTC’s details are.
    So yea there is an obstacle in the way, but they could be traded, maybe.

77. jon514 says:

Ok well that’s fair. I’ll admit, I’m normally pretty level headed and logical, but in this case my reaction was 110% emotional. I know there’s habsolutely no chance this trade will happen, but I wish it would!

“Let’s be clear on the facts…”

78. Les Canayens says:

Agree. They have families, mortgage, school to take care of just like everyone else. Some will counter argue that, but they’re rich. With more money comes more hassles.

Besides the no trade causes, that trade will never materialize in a salary cap NHL.

Cap space for Columbus: 1.72 million
    Cap hit for Nash: 7.8 million
    Cap hit for Gomez + Cammi + Gionta: 7.36 + 6 + 5 = 18.36 million

Columbus will be 8.83 million (1.72+7.8-18.36) over the cap, and they’re dead last in the league.

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

79. jon514 says:

I’m pretty sure Gomez would accept a ticket to anywhere. His welcome in Montreal is worn out. With his “actual salary” dropping from 7.5 to (5.5 and 4.5 in the next two years) His contract might be ideal for teams trying to hit the cap floor cause he still bears a 7.5 million cap hit, which let’s them spend 2 and 3 million below the cap.

“Let’s be clear on the facts…”

80. jon514 says:

I thought the fact that they signed Gorges long-term was a pretty significant message to all the veterans. Gorges is the captain of this team regardless of where the C sits. If this team does not make the playoffs, and there’s very little reason to think they will, all the scoring vets with a history of playoff success go on the block. Gio and Cammy will probably be traded before Gomez plays his first game as a bulldog.

“Let’s be clear on the facts…”

81. G-Man says:

Only a desperate GM would right now. Most GMs know won’t risk that big a chunk of money, even if it makes Gomez more affordable.

82. habs03 says:

No, if someone picked him up it would not be at half the price. Its if he goes on re-entry waivers it would be for half cost. But why would MTL do that, we would still have to deal with half the cap hit.

And why send him down now, we don’t have any cap problems this season? The guy is liked him the locker room, if you need to move him, you do it in the summer.

Thanks, was going to type very similar thing. At this point being on the hook for half his salary for 2 more years would be worse.

84. Mattyleg says:

Where to put him, though?
    Who do you sit?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

85. kempie says:

Darche. At this point, if Gomez can’t outplay Darche, well…

86. G-Man says:

Molson isn’t the GM.

87. bleedhabs81 says:

Shame on you for pointing out the obvious

88. Kooch7800 says:

JM would have just dropped him in top 6 and would break up the Eller, AK and Moen just cause he can

89. mb says:

Of course we’re bigots… How dare we not agree to shut up and forget one official language?

90. HabFanSince72 says:

The word bigot gets thrown around a lot.

Nonetheless there are institutions that call for rational bigotry: the Bruins of Boston being one.

91. bleedhabs81 says:

drag their wives and young children out of school?

I didn’t know hockey wives went to school. kidding

92. bleedhabs81 says:

Call me poor and naive but how does Mo’money = Mo’problems?

I have always wondered this. If I had 10 million dollars and lived in the same manner I do now (probably a bigger house, no job, and more time to travel) how is it that I have more problems?

Rich people, please help me out. I plan on being wealthy someday (once the student loan and mortgage is gone).

93. Danno says:

Gomez was almost #1 in the league for +/- stats last year, but on the bad side.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

94. G-Man says:

It’s definitely Monday or after a loss that HH gets all depressed. I suggest you skip Mondays and roll straight into Tuesday. Who knows, it might help. ;)

95. Les Canayens says:

Because of inflation you will see your 10 million dollars losing its value over time. And with that kind of amount, your loss will be (proportionally) much greater than what you have now. Bigger house = bigger property tax, insurance, utilities and maintenance bills. Travel = bigger expenses. So unless you invest (always a risk too) the rest of the 10 millions wisely the money will run out sooner than you think.

Of course if you keep the same frugal lifestyle you’re set for life. But will you be happy considering the possibilities you can do with the money?

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

96. bleedhabs81 says:

@ les Canyans

So, your saying if I live like MC Hammer, I am screwed (not planning for the future).

Fortunately, I am a highly educated and frugal…. so I doubt mo’money = mo’problems in my situation

what he said.

98. shiram says:

Why don’t you just say what you want to say?

99. piper says:

wow! first time i’ve seen that one. was it even reviewed by the league? typical bruin “hockey play”.

100. Stev.R says:

Did he get anything for coming off the bench?

Someone should make a compilation of all the Bruins nonsuspensions.

101. shiram says:

I’d rather not know.

102. English is not a Crime says:

You mean like the Bruins thinking they’re hockey players that earned the cup by being better than other teams?

103. HabFanSince72 says:

Faith is a fine invention for people who see
    But a microscope is prudent
    In an emergency.

104. LimestoneHab says:

It’s good to see Gomer doing something for his 8 mil!

Surely we could find someone less expensive for the practrice roster though…

If you can’t play a sport, be one… Max Jackson

105. Bripro says:

Forfait emergency with intervention
    by using adequate protection!

106. ZepFan2 says:

“I am like a god among ants here.”

And then you wake up… :razz:

———————————————————————-
    Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

107. Bobcat Bob says:

Bobcat Bob
    Don’t sprain your arm patting yourself on the back LOL Your opinions are just that — nothing more.

108. Bripro says:

Someone please close the window! Helluva draft in here!

If making fun of a chat room disagreement/fight boosts your ego, then perhaps you really needed the boost.

110. coutNY says:

Yeah I would like him to buy a new bus for Hamilton and drive it there… So we can create space for Shea Weber or any other top flight talent available at his market value. If New York can can bury Wade or the Oil with Souray, why not Montreal with Gomer? I do not see this as a classless act as some suggest, its a business and not a charity. Habs have to put out there best product on the Ice and Gomer at his best had barely out played fourth liners.

111. Hobie Hansen says:

Over the past year I’ve heard it mentioned on a few radio shows and from the odd HIO member that prior to the last couple CBAs being put forth there has been a penalty free or penalty reduced buyout window. We can only hope that is the case this summer and we can Gomez off the books…?

112. coutNY says:

Heard this and we can only hope. The endless pursuit of a Top centerman caused a knee-jerk reaction deal in not getting Vinny cost this club big time. Which some argue the Vinny deal may have been worse, but who knows. Only thing is Gainey pulls the trigger to save face on the broken deal and we lose McDonagh and the space to bring in a Gaborik, which we gracefully allowed New York the opportunity to do. I say the Molson’s have the AHL demotion option cause they are not sweating the money. Its dishearting to hear Cunnyworth refer to Gomez as “Top 6 with his skills and presence on the ice.” when he has not been this since 08′… Kempie (no reply on your statment), waiting depends… if by some miricle they get into play off contention and there is a chance for a guy like Weber can we afford to wait, eventhough still be a long shot to land him.

113. kempie says:

I’m almost certain that’s exactly what PG is hoping for/waiting on. His negative trade value means if you can find someone to take him, and that’s a big if, the Habs would have to sweeten the pot with something of value. As in young, cheap & promising. I doubt that PG really wants to be the guy who Reddenizes Gomez if he can avoid it. And there’s a really good chance that, after this season, Gomez can be given the rest of his money and a handshake and he comes off the cap. Wouldn’t you?

114. bleedhabs81 says:

Sucks to be Molson. Paying for crap your not using….

115. Lizardking89 says:

How can this person take all that money not having earned a fraction of it and look himself in the mirror. I would have buried his lazy ass in the minors so quick it would make his head spin

116. HabFab says:

Sounds like a condom ad in a Catholic school.

Wow, good news there. About time players on that team be held accountable. I guess Shanahan could only play favourites for so long.

118. LL says:

I’m so disappointed. We don’t get the pleasure of seeing him play next game. Rats ;)

119. Habfan10912 says:

Interesting Gerald when I watched the Shanny Video, seconds before the clip, Marchand is slashing and hitting the Vancover player. If refs would start calling the Bruins for this type of thing this incident and others like it would not have occurred. The Bruins feel they can do anything on the ice and often do.

Nah. I took two Advils. I got a head-ache reading all the twisting and turning that tries to pass for logic here.

I don’t smoke. Bad for the health.

I prefer one of these contraptions –>

Julien also thought Marchand was just defending himself. Mindboggling.

I woke up.

124. Habfan10912 says:

Absolutely. Right. One thing is for sure. We kept the right goalie.

125. neumann103 says:

This is my complaint about hockey officiating at all levels. It engenders a bunch of bad outcomes. Players on other teams finally respond and they get the only call for retaliation. Or they hold off valiantly and expect the refs to intervene after the fourth or fifth clear headshot, and then get called wimps or soft (vis Sedin).

But what I really can’t stand is when they act shocked – SHOCKED! – at the injustice when they finally get called. There is a certain internal logic in it: “That’s a penalty? I do it all the time.”

But what I could really really really stand to do without is seeing Julien standing on the bench waving his arms and Chiarelli in the box throwing his hands up in disbelief at every single call made on a Boston player.

“Et le but!”

126. Habfan10912 says:

Kind of like Lucy with BGL a couple seasons ago. The Boons weren’t laughing then, huh Habs?

127. HabFab says:

Actually both teams were doing line changes and had 6 skaters each. Sundin was smart to get off so that the Bruins had too many players but Krejci was yanked off fast too. So Cherry should include him also.

128. jbroderi says:

Bingo. Has hockey been left so far behind society that people really feel that fighting and beating someone up is an appropriate retribution and response to something happening to a teammate? Cherry is a complete moron.

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

129. stevieray says:

I thought it was hirlarious also …Sedin is the Captain ….not many Captains turn tail and run like he did . That partner is the reason the Canucks will not win a Cup. If Kesler or Bieska wore the ” C ” ..it would of been a different story !!

130. VancouverHab says:

(a.) You need a humour transplant if you can’t find the comments funny, (b.) no one asked him to fight, just not to run a way from the first sign of trouble.

Being against fighting doesn’t you have to promote cowardice.

131. Hobie Hansen says:

ya but now the Bruins are doing all the laughing and then some. They dominate the Canadiens and most other teams in every aspect of the game.

Their biggest advantage is togetherness. They all have each others backs and never back down from anybody.

I hate them more than anything on the planet but they do have the ultimate hockey team.

132. TomNickle says:

They have huge issues with their depth on defense. They’ve done a great job of covering it up with great goaltending and top heavy talent(Chara, Seidenberg and Corvo).

I wouldn’t expect it to last forever.

133. Hobie Hansen says:

Well their defense and goaltending won them the cup last year and will probably do so again this year. And they’ve also let the lowest amount of goals (73) in this year…they’re actually the best in the league!

If they have issues on defense and depth problems, I’d hate to hear your opinion on the 29 other teams…

134. TomNickle says:

I can understand where your opinion comes from but gladly keep in mind that teams who peak early in the season often fall on their faces in the playoffs.

My money’s on Chicago. Corey Crawford and Duncan Keith have been having bad seasons and they’re still among the league’s best. I wouldn’t count on those two stinking the joint out over the next 60 games.

135. The Jackal says:

Uhuh….. they’re a dirty team that thinks they can play dirty because they won’t get punished. The Habs don’t need to stoop to that level.

136. Bobcat Bob says:

Bobcat Bob
    The ultimate goon hockey team you mean. Nice thing about the ” rat”s 5 game suspension is next time ( and you know the little ass&*^% will have many next times ) it gets doubled, then tripled. LOL

Lets wait until the end of the season before we say Molson has no spine. I hear your frustration, but if RC gets this team playing about .500 or better rest of the way out who knows how this turns out.

138. Le Jadester says:

Plan “B” mabey ?

Habs, OLE !

139. Duracell3 says:

Especially when 7 starting players hurt at one time. albeit less now.