Multimedia: Habs practice video; 21 assigned to Bulldogs

dressing-room

Few, in fact very few, of the comforts of home… here’s the Canadiens’ dressing room at the Bell Sports Complex on Monday morning.
Stubbs photo

It was a little less luxurious than the Canadiens are used to, even if the dressing room door at the Bell Sports Complex read “VIP”. But that’s the way it was on Monday, the second day of the NHL lockout.

Roughly a dozen Habs players – a lineup that included goalie Carey Price, captain Brian Gionta, forwards Ryan White, Travis Moen, Colby Armstrong and Louis Leblanc and defencemen Josh Gorges, Francis Bouillon and Yannick Weber, prospect Brendan Gallagher, a few members of the McGill Redmen and even former Canadien Benoit Pouliot – skated for about an hour in Brossard on Monday late morning, some working out as well at the Mansfield fitness facility in the building.

A number stopped to chat for our video camera both in the arena parking lot and outside the dressing room that the captain good-naturedly declared off limits to the media: Gionta, Price, White, Bouillon and former Canadien Mathieu Darche, who has been active with the NHLPA in labour discussions in a bid to get a new CBA with the National Hockey League.

• News for the day: the Canadiens assigned 21 players to their American Hockey League affiliate, the Hamilton Bulldogs. Their release:

The Montreal Canadiens announced today that 21 players have been assigned to the Hamilton Bulldogs, the Club’s affiliate team in the American Hockey League (AHL).

Players assigned to Hamilton are forwards Alexander Avtsin, Alain Berger, Michael Blunden, Michaël Bournival, Gabriel Dumont, Brendan Gallagher, Blake Geoffrion, Patrick Holland, Louis Leblanc, Philippe Lefebvre, Joonas Nattinen, Steven Quailer and Ian Schultz; defensemen Nathan Beaulieu, Morgan Ellis, Brendon Nash, Greg Pateryn, Joe Stejskal and Jarred Tinordi, as well as goaltenders Peter Delmas and Robert Mayer.

The Bulldogs training camp will officially begin on September 28 with medicals and physical testing at Bell Sports Complex in Brossard. The team will then move to Sherbrooke where they will practice at Complexe Sportif Jocelyn-Thibault from Sunday, September 29 until Wednesday, October 3.

The Bulldogs will also play two intra-squad games while in Sherbrooke. On Tuesday, October 2 the team will take to the ice at Complexe sportif Jocelyn-Thibault and on Wednesday, October 3 at Palais des Sports Léopold-Drolet. All on-ice sessions are open to the public.

Here’s the video:

1. HabFarmer says:

Ok, I bit and I visited the Teliopost web site. I have to admit there just isn’t enough nakedness for my liking. Now you get yourself some ice girls and I’m there baby ;-)

*******************

Bring on zee Fembaahhts!!

2. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

mathieu darch might be working for the nhlpa next year, but not as a player

• geo_habsgo says:

Regardless, the league and the players association is better with him than without him.

• Ron says:

I agree with that comment. Mathieu would be an excellant PR person for the Habs. If the lockout gets finished and he dosn’t find a spot somewhere I’m sure he will catch on with either a lower management job or even a tv network like RDS. Very well spoken.

3. geo_habsgo says:

So with Subban apparently able to sign a minor league contract because of his status as an unsigned RFA, do you guys think that it would be a wise decision for him to sign with the Bulldogs?

While I don’t think that it will happen really, I think it would actually be a positive for Subban’s development. In Hamilton, he would be one of the oldest players who also boasts plenty of high level NHL talent. He would be the go-to guy to captain the team which would help hone and refine his leadership talents which are clearly there.

He would also get to be the go-to guy in all situations while being a mentor to the other guys. Subban plays his best when he plays with that arrogant edge to his game. That cocky swag. Taking some time in Hamilton will allow him to work out some kinks while being the undisputed top d-man and even player on the club. Seems like a win-win for Subban and the prospects.

What do you guys (or girls!) think about this?

• Phil C says:

I probably would have agreed with your suggestion if the Bulldog roster was the same as last year. But this year they have a lot of young promising defenseman that need the icetime more than PK does. I would rather see PK go to the Swiss league with Diaz and Weber, or something similar.

4. commandant says:

Max Warner’s look at the eye black or “black eye” incident.

5. Thomas Le Fan says:

So, I make multi millions per season, I can vote to not accept any deal and I can go to another league and make money while most others are locked out? NHLPA solidarity is a mysterious thing. If I’m more of a fringe player and go along with this thinking, I must be crazy.
    On the other hand, I can cry poor and then run out and sign these guys to one outrageous contract after another? The owners are mental cases.
    A pox on both their houses.

• commandant says:

They are locked out. This means that they should sit at home and do nothing about it…. or should they try to supplement their income by getting another job?

Seems strange to me how many think that just because the players are locked out, they can’t make money in another league.

• Propwash says:

Some people think the players are on strike, and it’s their fault.
        _____________________________
        “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
        Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• mdp2011 says:

“…or should they try to supplement their income by getting another job?”

Those poor players, how can an Ovechkin be expected to live off the 10mil he made last year, or the 40-50mil he has already made with his contract. He definitely needs to supplement his income and steel some poor guy’s job who is making 80-90 000$ trying to make a decent living playing hockey overseas.

• commandant says:

Welcome to hockey and competition. Jobs are stolen all the time by people with more talent and who are better players.

Don’t like it, don’t get involved in pro sports.

This is no different than any other union that allows “bumping”… the only difference is that the criteria for being at the top of the totem poll in hockey is talent instead of seniority.

• Curtis O Habs says:

Getting another job in the same unionized craft, by every definition of the phrase makes them a SCAB. This is not a show of solidarity.

• Ron says:

Ben you have used the comparisons of union bumping and the like for abit now. Even though in my opinion and I and others have disagreed with your concept on it that won’t change. The President of the UAW could come on here and explain the differences and I don’t think your train of thought would be wavered. The blinders would stay there. Instead of remaining on the union aspect and agreeing or disagreeing I would like to change this route and ask you your views on another scenario. What if there was an economic melt down in Russia and North America was in no way affected and 100 Russian KHL players came over and above those already here were to appear on the scene. If they were to walk in and get 100 of the NHL players tossed aside by taking their jobs because they were better would you still stand by your statements and say welcome its all part of the system and those that got “bumped” should not have got involved in pro sports. This is not trying to be argumentative, just want to know if it changes your line of thought.

• commandant says:

First off Ron, you’ve failed to show me how this is different, and why the best players shouldn’t have the available jobs, or why a player can’t subsidize his income during a lockout. The only way I would say this shouldn’t be allowed is if the players were on strike, but that is not the case here. Its a lockout, which is a very important legal distinction, and as such these players are not scabs in any way, shape or form.

If you can find a statement where Buzz Hargrove states that a locked out worker doesn’t have the right to go look for another job and make income, I’d love to see that statement.

Onto your scenario; No it doesn’t change a thing. The best players, regardless of if they are from Canada, US, Switzerland, Russia, Mars, or Jupiter should be playing pro sports at the highest level.

If you aren’t one of the best players… too bad, so sad, you got cut.

I’ve been very vocal over the years and hate a lot of the bigotry that Russian and other Euro players are subjected to. I don’t care where the player is from, I want the best players possible for the Montreal Canadiens.

• Curtis O Habs says:

I can guarantee Buzz Hargrove would NOT expect his membership get another job ASSEMBLING CARS!!! Get it ?!!!

• Habfan17 says:

There is a big diffrence between losing your job to a better player in training camp and losing your job after you’ve earned it and all of a sudden players elsewhere are locked out and because owners can dump players on their entry level contracts on the farm at about 1/10th the salary without clearing waivers, they make room for them while they are available. Do you think players would want to play for those teams if they did that to them. It is just plain wrong and unethical. I don’t care if it is allowed in the CBA. If I was a lesser talent taking it on the chin because the star players have taken all the spots in Eirope, I would not be happy with the union or those players. There in it together or they are not, If they aren’t disband the union. Maybe the real solution is to disband the NHLPA and have the player agents form a representation group and have them negotiate the CBA’s with the NHL.

the best thing would be to get the negotiations out of the hands of lawyers and into the hands of independant mediators!

Habfan17

• Two things.

1) Choosing one of the richest players in the league in order to bolster your argument that all players are rich is unfair, and you know it. So let’s not do that.

2) Nobody’s arguing that the players will be waiting in line at food banks anytime soon. But teams ought to honour the contracts they’ve signed — rather than signing someone to a $6M contract today, and then tomorrow insisting that you should only have to pay 80% of that. I don’t pretend to know what a “fair” percentage of league revenues is, but where I come from that’s called bad faith.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

I didn’t say that did I? I merely wonder why those not so capable of doing the same thing would support those who can and would do this. I’ve been on strike and I would certainly resent those who voted to do so knowing they could not be hurt, then proceeded to take advantage of it, take some other schmuck’s job and expected me to man the line (or drop my gloves to defend them). Who loses in this scenario? Not the owners who have teams as a hobby or write-off or the superstars who can happily apply their trade elsewhere. If it’s actually every man for himself, why pretend there’s a union … er … players’ association?
        Stranger than fiction.

• Habfan17 says:

I agree with you 100%. There is solidarity or there isn’t. There is always the possibility of a strike or a lockout when dealing with unions. I don’t think the owners should bring in replacement players, nor should the players go play somewhere else!!

Habfan17

• ont fan says:

Do you believe they are playing for the money when they play in Europe? Some are probably making big money but do those guys need it? Logan Couture was just being interviewed and said he would be taking an imports job. He came off an ijury and needed game action . When asked if it bothered him taking someone elses job, he said no he just wanted to play. Maybe it would serve them well to think of life after hockey and start someting else now that they have time.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

So what? I’m supposed to feel sympathy for him? Ah, he just wanted to play. Well, hey smart guy, you’re an NHL star. How about playing for your team there?
          It doesn’t bother him to take someone else’s job? Union activism and scabbing all in one!

• commandant says:

What about Unions who allow bumping every single day? Unions allow people with seniority to take the jobs of those below them all the time? How is this different.

And its not scabbing.

1) He’s locked out, not on strike
            2) He isnt working for the same employer who has locked him out.

You have a weird definition of scabbing.

• commandant says:

Players lose jobs and get cut in minor hockey, in juniors, in the NCAA, in the AHL, in the Euro leagues and in the NHL. Its just the way it is. Don’t want to lose your job? Play better…. if you can’t, you don’t get the job.

This isn’t something new to a lockout, and isn’t unique to hockey.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

The fans get screwed by both sides and yet you insist on taking a side. Screw them both!

• Habfan17 says:

It is called ethics and players being selfish and taking someone elses job is both morally and etically wrong, Even if you spin the union card. The players in the other leagues are not in the same union so it is not like a senior union member bumping a junior member at all. Let’s see what the nhlpa woold do if the european leagues locked out their players and the NHL teams signed all their stars and dumped all players on two way contracts to the AHL under the lower salary that goes with it!

Habfan17

• commandant says:

The NHLPA would do nothing in such a scenario. The NHLPA is built on the premise that the best players for the league get the jobs.

They don’t protect any players from being cut or sent to the AHL if they are not among the 23 best on their team.

• Habfan17 says:

I will agree to disagree. I believe the NHLPA which is supposed to protect it’s players would not just sit back and say it is fair. If a player with a contract has made the team, they should not lose their job to a temporary player. Again, just because they can, it is still unethical. That is what has hurt the economy the most in North America. The corporate leaders following unethical practices and as usual, the tax players paying to clean up their mess, just like the fans of the NHL. . What is wrong is wrong, period. The players want it all!

Habfan17

• Habfan17 says:

You can look at it that way, but I look at it like this. The NHLPA had all summer to negotiate a new CBA as did the NHL, Bettman was upfront about locking players out, so the urgency was there from day 1. The idea is that the players are looking for a fair deal under the banner of solidarity. So how is it fair that the star players go take jobs away from players in other leagues that may really need their salaries? Why leave the lesser talented players here holding the bag and doing without. One thing we didn’t hear about this time around is the war chest. Do they have one again?

Both sides are to blame for this mess and the only people we should feel sorry for are the folks who earn money from offshoot business and working in concessions etc. Of course, feel sorry for the fans who at the end of the day fund the NHL and get screwed each time.

Since the owners vote when an expansion team or new owner is brought in, not to mention the fact it is a monopoly, they should take care of the revenue share to the teams losing money and put in a process that allows these owners to relocate under certain conditions. The problem is, either way, that money will come from hockey related revenue. S any way you slice it, the players need to kick in too. Tale 2% of the top then divide the 98%; 48% to players, 50% to owners.

Habfan17

• commandant says:

Expansion and relocation fees are specifically excluded from HRR.

• Habfan17 says:

Thank you but I knew that, all I am saying is that the owners get to vote on where and who gets an expansion team, so they need to revenue share with them when it does not work out. The players have a valid point about the way revenue is shared. Why should the players cover the total cost of the support money since the NHLPA has no say on where and who gets a team. Sorry, I didn’t articulate my point better the first time around. Maybe the owners should cover the revenue sharing from their playoff bonanza and other non-shared revenue!

Habfan17

• Ron says:

As to my question above and your reply, even though I think it is utter BS I commend you for your sticking to your convictions and beliefs. I posted that comment on the latest article about Diaz, Weber thread.

• Habfan17 says:

Yes it does. together we stand devided we fall. Look up solidarity in the dictionary, it does not say each one for themselves.

Habfan17

6. Kooch7800 says:

The Roster for the bulldogs next year from habsaddict.com

7. Kooch7800 says:

For those who don’t think Bettman is a problem:

Via Allan Walsh on twitter:

What many NHL fans don’t know. Before last lockout, Bettman amended NHL bylaws, only needs 8 owners to vote down any CBA offer from NHLPA.

• SmartDog says:

Exactly. And also for those who don’t think Bettman is in control. He could have 22 owners against him, but if he can keep 8 on his side, he stops a deal from happening.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Kooch7800 says:

Price said it well yesterday in the interview as well. He is a huge problem and has a huge Ego to go with it. I think the Ego’s of Fehr and Bettman will cost the NHL and entire season this year.

• Kooch7800 says:

Also, there is about 8 struggling franchises LOL that should be retracted

Daly in an interview in Toronto the other day, made light of the fact NHLPA has not spoken about retraction. It was said tongue and cheek, but Daly was correct in that, the Players claim they care about health of league, but refuse to admit they are in to many markets with no fan passion and refuse to give up those jobs.

• neumann103 says:

And i think it takes a vote of 75% of owners to remove Bettman? I recall that from the past but am not confident of the assertion.

From the credible-sounding rumours I have heard over the years there is a contingent of 20%-30% of owners who are very pro Bettman, there is a similar sized group that wishes he was gone but knows they can’t do anything about it, and then the remaining 40%-60% are lukewarm, but unlikely to raise any objection unless Bettman’s demise was guaranteed. Under such circumstances no challenge to Bettman is likely to occur.

Consider that the top of the Bettman hating list has to be occupied by the Rangers and the Leafs, with the Habs probably not too far down.. These large market teams that make a whack of money don’t really want the League messing with them. What has always amazed is that Philadelphia and Boston – whose interests should align with the large market successful teams are firmly in the Bettman camp. I don’t know if it is just an instance of pure evil of folks like Snyder and Jacobs overriding actual self interest. But it does serve as an insulation layer. Without that, I can imagine there would be greater vigor behind the likes of the Rangers manifesting outrage at being dragged down to the level of, and forced to financially support the likes of the Florida Panthers.

“Et le but!”

8. kempie says:

It appears that, yes, Danny Kristo is indeed a bit of a train wreck. I’d love to see him traded before he starts planning his next feat of stupidity but it’s likely too late.

9. joeybarrie says:

A few things on some comments.
    First I have to agree with Darche. The owners are signing contracts and then immediately saying they need to be restructured. Its full of crap.
    Second. A competitive game is necessary to stay game fit. Practice doesn’t do it. You need structured teams, refs, coaches, other players who want to win no matter what.
    Cmon owners and gary assman. Just give us hockey. Stop being such an ass.

Weber going back home. Hopefully he stays there.

Looks like Ovechkin thinks the whole season in the NHL is down the toilet.

Not hockey related, but for those unaware of what Yunel Escobar did on the weekend, here is the edited story. For the unedited story, you can find it at Deadspin.

This kid needs to be thrown out of the league for good in my opinion.

• showey47 says:

All i have to say is how the hell was he allowed to leave the locker room with that on his face?

• shiram says:

What about the coaches, trainer and teammates, they should have said something to him.
      Then again the guy is 29 and should know better.

When the Jays traded for the punk, it was known he was an issue in the clubhouse, the Braves essentially told the Jays that. AA went ahead with the trade, as his only mantra is to pickup young talent, unaware that a team needs character and leadership.

Showey, I am with you 100%, there is no excuse for teammates letting him out of the dressing room before the game started. I call BS on any teammates not knowing what was written on his face. (Coaches etc. are also responsible)

• shiram says:

It’s interesting to me to see how letargic the MLB is on this, the guy was allowed to play, with cameras likely focusing on him, and the game just went on? No suspension or word of fines or anything?

• Kooch7800 says:

Wasn’t there a pitcher a few years ago that made racial slurs, John Rocker I believe and there was also a pitcher accused last week of a Racial slur.

Here were his comments:
      I’d retire first. It’s the most hectic, nerve-racking city. Imagine having to take the 7 Train to the ballpark looking like you’re riding through Beirut next to some kid with purple hair, next to some queer with AIDS, right next to some dude who just got out of jail for the fourth time, right next to some 20-year-old mom with four kids. It’s depressing… The biggest thing I don’t like about New York are the foreigners. You can walk an entire block in Times Square and not hear anybody speaking English. Asians and Koreans and Vietnamese and Indians and Russians and Spanish people and everything up there. How the hell did they get in this country?

Ozzie also called someone a “F-G” in an interview as well.

Sadly, none of these things are new to baseball.

Rocker essentially ended his career with that idiotic diatribe. He had a brief comeback, but was heckled mercilessly afterwards. I believe he spent some more time in minor leagues, but he got his just desserts.

Yah a pitching coach recently made a stupid slur also and received a suspension.

13. JF says:

If from the players’ point of view, this fight is about principle rather than about money, why are so many of them in such a hurry to jump to the KHL or the European leagues? Why not wait at least a few weeks to see whether, now that both sides have shown how tough they are, they’ll actually get down to some real negotiating? Or if, as they claim, they “just want to play hockey” and are also concerned about staying in game-shape, why don’t they get together and play hockey? They could rent an ice-surface and just play. If the movement got off the ground, they could even put together a schedule and charge the public to watch.

With so many players scattering across Europe and Russia, it is difficult to avoid the conclusion that money is after all the most important factor. Their cause would look a lot better if they showed some real solidarity.

• SmartDog says:

> as they claim, they “just want to play hockey” and are also >concerned about staying in game-shape, why don’t they get >together and play hockey?

Watch Price’s video and you’ll have the answer. These guys get are pros. They get paid to play at the highest level. They’re not going to play the same way in practices.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• JF says:

If they were all involved in these impromptu games, why would it matter if they did not play at the same level they do in a “real” game? When NHL hockey resumed, they would all be at more or less the same level.

• Cal says:

It’s about principal, not principle. ;)

14. Habfan10912 says:

UND suspends Danny Kristo and several teamates for opening game for actions at a team party on Saturday.

———————————–

Whatever he did can it be as stupid as Escobar for the Jays this past weekend? I have questioned the character of Escobar, Bautista and Encarnacion all season. These guys know what Escobar had written in to his black eye markings and let him go on the field of play.

Lets hope it was just something stupid Kristo did and hope it is not something much worse.

• Kooch7800 says:

Escobar is a douche bag for what he did on the weekend. What a jerk. I am not going to paint the other Spanish speaking players for it though either. Escobar is a big boy and I don’t even think Joey Bats is on the bench as he is out after Surgury.

I only blame Escobar

My problem Kooch is this team has had zero leadership all season, I blame the core veterans, I blame the manager and most of all I blame the General Manager, who assembled this team.

All season long this team has been throwing temper tantrums at umpires, playing games with zero passion and now this. For a teammate to let this punk go on the field representing the same team as him with a Homophobic slur written on his face is almost just as bad. Never mind they have a spanish speaking coach on the bench who did Jack Squat as well.

To me the little punk ass Escobar was saying what he did to the fans. Well I would love to tell him in person what I think of him. Kick his ass off this team, cancel his work visa and go enjoy retired life somewhere else PUNK.

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree that their needs to be a change in Toronto’s manager. No doubt there. They need to have a strong leader to help groom these kids and control some of the players. I do think there is a lot of passion though on this team. Players like Lawrie are huge competitors but sometimes that boils over and that also comes with age. Joey Bats is a huge competitor as well and also Edwin Encar is having a great season. Huge improvement to last year. He has cut weight and is really working on his batting. The issue with the Jays is and has been for years Pitching. If they stayed healthy I think their batting would have been a lot better. They are in dire need of a real short stop and a second basemen. They should have not let Hill go. He was a good Character guy. I am starting to like what I see from Gose as well.

Without pitching though this team is going nowhere. Ricky is just awful. He lost his mojo.

What Escobar did is not excusable considering he is a professional athlete and this story will go global for the wrong reasons. He should have a lengthy suspension and hopefully this will end his days with the Blue Jays.

We don’t know what the inner workings are on the team and someone may have asked him to take it off that is why I am not ready to through every other Spanish player on the team under the bus. He could be an absolute ass in person. Who knows.

Either way the Jays have a lot of changes that need to come and it starts with the Manager and I think AA should be shortly after. I think they will get a new Manager for next season and by part way through next season AA will be gone as well. It has been an awful year to be a Jays fan

• mrhabby says:

so you would fire the manager despite all the injuries the jays have had this year…smart move.
            they have leadership there all on IR.

@mrhabby, yes I would fire the manager, in fact if Boston wants him, I would trade him there. Injuries? You mean the injuries to all the unproven pitchers that AA sold the public were ready for the major leagues that he rushed through the system? Leaders are injured? You mean Jose Bautista, perhaps the biggest whiner on that team who leads by example.

No doubt Bautista and Encarnacion are offensive weapons, but they need to be real leaders on and off the field. Of course this is the same Encarnacion whom AA said was no longer in the Jays plans when he arrived on the scene, and now appears to be the most talented player on the team, so what does that say about AA and his judging of talent.

• habs-fan-84 says:

This kids behaviour reaches yet a new low.

• shiram says:

Kristo seems to get in trouble alot, hopefully he settles down some and concentrates on hockey.

15. geo_habsgo says:

Did anyone listen to Darche’s interview and not see a potential GM in him? He seems so poised and intelligent when he talks and you can tell that he has an informed opinion on all hockey matters. I am sure that he will get a position in the league somewhere in management. He is too intelligent and articulate not to.

What he lacks in hockey skill I think that he makes up for in spades with his learned approach to the game as a sport and a business. He gets it.

16. zak says:

The nhl should sign KHL players to play for a little more money and the NHL players could go to the K and play for a lot less

Hire the best regardless of language

17. Captain aHab says:

Heard François Gagnon say something interesting yesterday. To try to get public opinion on their side a little more, the owners should have agreed to the players’ demands in exchange for losing guaranteed contracts. The players would have said no and would have ended up looking like people more interested in protecting loafers who don’t live up to their contracts.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• ed lopaz says:

“public opinion” is not a real concern for the NHL.

Fans will be back no matter what.

After the last lock out, the fans reacted by giving the NHL record support.

• HardHabits says:

Stockholm Syndrome. Maybe even more like battered wife syndrome.

Fans came back last time. I don’t think they’ll be so happy to do so again. There is only so much abuse people will endure until they’ve had enough.

I for one would welcome another WHL.

• showey47 says:

I agree. At some point when hockey starts again i can see attendance taking a real shit kicking in alot of the u.s. markets,perhaps in canada as well but not nearly as bad. This may also affect tv contracts and sponsorships down the road too.

Couple things rattling around in my head this morning. After reading the Globe article on the KHL it got me to thinking. (a very brief and rare thing) Seems to me the KHL is really the first high level pro hockey the fans throughout Russia are getting to see. I do remember the SuperLeague (or whatever it was called) in the 70′s but that league had Red Army in first, Dynamo in 2nd and a bunch of other teams never with a chance of winning it.

The fans of the KHL in these different cities are probably as passionate about their local teams as many of us Canadiens fans (without the history in some cases obviously) are here. So my question is this, how do those fans feel when their team picks up a mercenary, particularly a player of North American roots to help their team? Probably pretty excited, how do they feel when potentially 6 weeks later that same players says, Oh yah my other league is ready gotta run thanks for the Rubles and Borscht soup, Bye.

I don’t know, I understand the concept of staying sharp, but the mercenary style of it seems off.

And to ensure I don’t only pick on the players, I received an email this morning from the Sportsnet Fan590 sports radio (as i am on the mailing list). It was a petition created by the station, claiming that we are fans and we want our game back. *ahem, cough cough, Hey Sportsnet, you are owned by Rogers who own the Leafs!!!! Shut the Heck up and don’t pull your hypocrite Shite by me. I can’t believe this station of Leaf and Jays suck ups now wants to try and identify with me the real fan. Man, this isn’t helping my lockout mood.

• ed lopaz says:

my son attended a KHL game when he was over there with his hockey team playing some exhibition games.

he told me the atmosphere is fantastic, with constant cheering and singing from the fans, and cheerleaders leading the cheers in the stands.

how would we feel as fans if a Russian player came over here, took a roster spot, and then bolted once their league got back up and running?

we would be reading some rants on HIO, for sure, about how Russians have no real desire to win the Stanley Cup, etc. etc.

I know that these kinds of remarks against Russians bother most of the posters here at HIO – almost all.

So why is it that these same posters, the ones who are bothered by rants against Russian players, support the NHL players going over there and showing no loyalty towards winning the Gagarin Cup? ( named after Yuri Gagarin the first man to step into outerspace)

Fans here seem to think that NHL players actually give a sht about playing for their current team.

For the most part, I would argue, they really don’t.

NHL players want to make a living playing hockey – a good living – and there’s nothing at all wrong with that approach.

But let’s not pretend that NHL players are actually loyal to us fans, to their NHL teams. That is not their primary concern, nor their primary objective.

The players want to maximize their wages – and there’s nothing different about that then the owners wanting to maximize their revenues and profits.

I am totally opposed to the lockout.

• Captain aHab says:

Not sure if people here “support” NHL players going overseas, as much as they don’t care about them doing so.

—————-
        Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

Were in the same camp Ed, I think your final paragraph hits the nail right on the head.

Here is a picture and write up on the Cup.

• ed lopaz says:

Years ago I watched a minor hockey game standing next to Ted Saskin. Seriously, he is without a doubt one of the most intelligent men I have ever met.

These guys are smart – very smart.

Losing games this time around is not good business.

This lockout can not and will not last for very long.

• Kooch7800 says:

I am not sure it will end quickly Ed. You have two HUGE ego’s in Fehr and Bettman.

Like Price said yesterday it doesn’t seem that all the owners are on board with the lockout and Bettman seems to have a lot of power which we all know he does. The owners are his boss, yes but he has the final decision. He also has a track record of getting the owners some good things like the Cap etc so he gets some slack from the owners and they let him do his thing

• frontenac1 says:

Russian cheerleaders eh? If they are anything like those topless dancers that Harper kicked out,I would be a customer.

• Habsman1970 says:

I would like to see it where if a player does decide to go play in Europe (or wherever), they HAVE to fulfill that contract before coming back to the NHL. This would stop the flood of players thinking “fine, I will just go to “XYZ” to play and get paid until the NHL gives us what we want..”. Rather, I think they would think long and hard on what’s the best course of action is due to the fact that they would be locked in for a period of time. This solution would also also benefit the team who signed them as they wouldn’t get screwed 6, 8, 12+ weeks in to their season then the player jumps ship. Again, just my opinion.

ONCE A HAB, FOREVER A HAB!!!

• Kooch7800 says:

I don’t think these other leagues should let them play unless they intend on playing the entire season there. They are taking jobs from other players who didn’t make the NHL and are trying to provide for their families.

I have even more respect for Bobby Ryan saying that he won’t play in Europe as he doesn’t want to take someones job. He is a classy guy and would love to see him in a habs Uni.

I understand the players wanting to play but they already make more than most of these players in the Euro leagues…why should they get screwed because these millionaires can’t agree with the Billionaire owners….It isn’t right IMO

• ont fan says:

I think the fans in the KHL don’t mind a bit if a mercenary comes over for a few months. Can you imagine our fans objecting to a couple of super stars playing for us and dropping the 19th and 20th player from our roster. The season ticket holders would get a treat. Not that I agree with it.

19. JohnBellyful says:

By my count, subtracting the approximate number of players who have landed jobs as migrant workers overseas, there’s got to be well over 650 players who have nothing to do right now. That can’t go on.
    Here’s how they could put their union solidarity to good use. What’s the image that stands out in most people’s minds these days when they think of NHL players? Okay, the second image? That’s right, standing together as one behind Don Fehr. Shoulder to shoulder, united.
    Well, Fehr’s not the only person who could use such a powerful show of support. Obama and Romney, they’re in a heated race for the presidency. Photo ops are important, and having a backdrop of a whole bunch of people is critical to how they’re received at public engagements.
    That’s where InstaCrowd™ comes in.
    InstaCrowd™ ensures rows and rows AND rows of good-looking, clean cut, fit, young men standing behind — literally, figuratively – Obama, Romney, Biden, Ryan who obviously want to make a really good impression with their audiences, but especially with TV viewers.
    Players are photogenic – Bruin players notwithstanding; they would have to be placed way, way, waaaaay in the back – and would be sure to add to the politicians’ appeal.
    The candidates could also capture a broad range of ethnic, socio-economic votes with the strategic placement of certain athletes in the front row: Gomez (Hispanics), Simmonds (blacks), Tootoo (native Americans), Selanne (senior citizens), Datsyuk (upper class), Gorges (working class), Marchand (no class).
    Having the Sedins by your side would be a sure vote-getter in the Twin Cities.

20. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning. Took an extra blood pressure pill this morning and finished watching the videos above. The players have been well advised on what to say and what not to say. My layman take.
    Price – Seems like a genuine speak from the heart guy. I think he”s a smart dude also.
    Gionta – My apologies to habsolutley but I can’t help but think that I wished he showed the same vigor defending PK as he did the players union when PK was being attacked by the flyers. Other then that he was a talking point machine.
    White – He seemed to not want any part of this. Sounded like a guy who understood his place.
    Darche – Made a good point about the recent string of multi year contracts while the owners proposed a limit on term years. Pointed out the “protect us from ourselves” hypocrisy. Other then that, he was a talking point machine.

That said, the players clearly were more even handed and sincere compared to what I’ve been hearing of late on the NHL XM radio channel. Over the weekend I actually heard a guest apologizing to “Gary” for the slightest hint that the owners might be part of the issue. I should be used to bias from media as we have Fox News (right) and MSNBC (left) here in the states but the crap spilling out of that radio station would make them blush. A propaganda machine.

———————————–

• Cal says:

It looks like we’ll all need that extra valium pill or to just to listen to the crap spewing from their mouths. The only PR exercise I want to hear about is the announcement that an agreement has been reached.
      All we can do is turn our entertainment attention elsewhere. For instance, tonight on CBC’s 22 Minutes, PK will be on (saw this in a post on these pages yesterday). Of course, Rick Mercer is always fun, too.
      Can’t even look forward to a pre-season matchup ffs. Aaaargh!
      *gulp* Geez, that’s my 3rd blood pressure pill this morning!

Morning Jim, the sound bites from both sides will continue to annoy us as each side will make themselves purer than Snow White. I feel bad for the players like White, who have yet to really cash in, and perhaps some players like him who were injured all last season, miss this season due to strike, don’t find their game again and quickly their career is over. I am not convinced the high end players nor the agents really care about the 3rd or 4th line players too much in this negotiation.

21. JohnBellyful says:

Lockout — Day Three
    Fooled around with line combinations just for something to do. Mixed it up by using players from all teams – by decade, by first letter of last name, by height.
    Laminated my old hockey cards. Bronzed the last pair of skates I wore. Retired my number. Hung my sweater from the garage rafters.
    Went outside and played street hockey with the little guys in the neighbourhood. When did kids stop bodychecking? I don’t remember five-year-olds being such wusses.
    Three days in and this lockout really has got me down. Spending some quality time with the smartest, brightest, sharpest HIO posters sure would cheer me up. Let’s see, I’ll ring up Cal, twilighthours, Bripro, Habfan10912, and Burl’, see if they want to get together for dinner tonight. My treat. I’ll phone now and reserve the picnic table closest to the chip truck.

A look inside the KHL and what NHL players can expect if they go over.

• JF says:

Interesting article. Thanks for the link. If the KHL is as primitive as Duhatschek suggests and none of the teams make money, how can they afford to hand out such huge salaries? Didn’t Radulov sign for something insane like nine million a year? The gap between hockey players’ salaries and those of the rest of the population must be even greater than it is over here.

23. The Cat says:

Heres my answers to SD’s questions.

1-Id say 7-8. I played competitive but my lack of size at a crucial age (I shot up to 6ft (from 5’5) and 225 lbs at 19, and my total lack of a slapshot didnt do me any favours, I had a decent wristshot though. I was mostly a playmaker centreman and sometimes played the point on the PP.
    2- Best sport Id say badmington
    3- Ever coached: Yes hockey.
    4- Dinner with which hab: Id say Erik Cole, I cannot find any faults with the guy.
    5- Fave HIO members: Theres many but for content Id say Ed Lopaz and Dave Stubbs. I dont know about dinner though, thats a little too intimate; have a beer with may be more appropriate.

Okay late to the party on SD’s great questions.
    1. I think I coulda been a 7 in hockey but scratch was tight so no organized hockey lots of shinny and lived for road hockey. So I would be a 3 in reality but have a great hockey scar on my face.
    2. Best sport Was basketball, now I am golf and slo-pitch.
    3. Coached basketball, volleyball At pretty good level, now just player coach in a beer league.
    4. Gomez for sure, has more than enough to cover my bill and he may be neighbor here in Southern Ontario soon enough.
    5. Okay this is easy, there is a huge pile of people! Father/son habfan10912 and Chris, L Elle, habfab, bellyfull, 24cups, the mailman Newman, mr. Guiness bri, Ian okay this list is getting long. I want the Summit, I want dinner with the whole kit and kaboodle. And all those boys from B.C. Better show up!

SD great job on the questions, look forward to seeing you ata summit soon.

25. Habilis says:

What happens if the league and the PA come to an agreement sometime in october or november, do the Habs then hold a full training camp or some form of mini-camp? Would guys like Tinordi, Beaulieu, Gallagher take time off from Hamilton to attend?

26. A former NHL executive says the players would be back ‘within 2 days’ if the NHL hired replacement players (I just posted the story on my site).
    Is it time to for the NHL to hire scabs to force the players back to the table and get a deal done ASAP?

The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/
    Twitter: @teliopost

27. jmsheehy19 says:

I’ve been watching highlight reels on youtube. If this lockout prevents me from being able to question whether Datsyuk is actually human or some kind of super cyborg, I’m gonna be pissed.

28. mrhabby says:

Random thought…..how come CFL never goes on strike.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

The NHLPA hasn’t gone on strike in almost twenty years. The CFL owners can negotiate labour agreements with the players union without lockouts because when the CFL has a bad idea like expansion in the southern U.S., or teams in Ottawa they don’t ask the players to cover the losses of the unprofitable teams, they just fold those teams.

29. Bripro says:

Since there’s no hockey to speak of except for our thoughts, comments and reminiscences, I’ve had a brain-strom!
    Well, actually, it’s SmartDog who started this with his question
    “If you could have dinner with one HIO person, who would that be?”
    which turned into a general invitation of the commentariat!

So…. why not?

Why not hold a pot-luck supper, or lunch, or an all-day affair?
    My world-famous potato salad is on ice.
    I don’t mind having it here, but I’m on the South Shore of Montreal and although this site pertains to the Montreal Canadiens, most on here seem to come from Ontario (hint hint).
    Besides, I’m not sure I’d have enough sleeping accomodations,
    unless you bring your sleeping bags. I’d set you up in the sun room,
    but I get the couch!

Anyway….just a thought.

30. AceMagnum says:

What about Cedrick Desjardins?

—————————-

THE KINGS ARE KINGS!! 2012

31. smiler2729 says:

I got trapped at work with FAN590 on the radio at noon. Deputy Commissioner Daly was on with Millard, Kypreos and MacLean.

I listened and just got enraged by the arrogant ass. Spouting poor owner crap that no one wants to hear but the part that got me hot was NOBODY even bothered asking the douche about the NHL fan base. No man, all this math that the owners want is based on numbers that ASSUME the FAN comes back.

F the NHL, they mock us to our faces…

_______________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.

• SmartDog says:

The whole owner block is talking to itself.

They have NO sense of what’s up and what morons they sound like every time they say everything. Gary Bettman is an arrogant a-hole who surrounds himself with yes men or similar arrogant jerks. Listen to the players, they basically are saying “there’s no respect for us”. If the league could actually CHANGE THEIR TUNE, a deal would get done. It’s not just numbers it’s dialogue. And league SUCKS at dialogue. SUCKS. Like a thirsty Shrek with the world’s biggest milkshake and the world’s tiniest straw would suck.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

32. Lafleurguy says:

Just finished supper. No one from HIO came. Gonna see if a Leaf fan is available.

“May you live in interesting times.”

33. 24moreCups says:

At least I’m excited about the Bulldog’s this season. Should be fun, hope we cover them more here.

Too bad more of their games aren’t televised tho.

34. Ron says:

I see Bobby Ryan says he wouldn’t take another players job (on twitter ). Wonder how this looks to his fellow NHLPA members. How many more may start speaking up.

35. HabFab says:

Still not sure as to the reason behind Palushaj, Desjardins and St Denis not going thru waivers. And now apparently according to Lapresse’s Godin, they will sign AHL contracts with the Bulldogs. Other then the transfer of their $330,000 salaries to the Bulldogs, not sure of the logic here.
    Are the Canadiens batting down the hatches for a long one?

• Ron says:

Sounds abit like it for sure. At least alot of the boys will be down keeping fit. Makes it a hard way for the young fellows to get lots of ice time when most spots are taken by the NHL crew. At least some leadership.

36. SmartDog says:

5 QUESTIONS ABOUT…. YOU (cause you’re playing just as much hockey as the Habs!:

1. On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being nada, 10 being NHL level) are/were you a SERIOUS hockey player?
    2. What is or was your best sport?
    3. Have you ever coached (a sport)?*
    4. If you could have dinner with one current Hab (PK included :), who would that be and why?
    5. If you could have dinner with one HIO person, who would that be?

*I changed this question.
    SD

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• SmartDog says:

Okay, I’ll bite. :)
      Interesting questions!!

1. 3 (played a little, not a great skater)
      2. Soccer
      3. Yes
      4. Cole. Dunno why, just seems like an interesting guy. Old enough to be wise as well as smart. 2nd would be Price because he seems to have that plain talkin’ thing going. Mostly I’d want to talk about the players lives, their perspectives on things, culture, high points and challenges.
      5. Lots of interesting people so I would pick one who also has great musical taste – so that could be Gerry, HabsFanSince72, or Psycho29.
      ————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Habfan10912 says:

1. In my mind a 10 but in everyone else a 3.
      2. Football (But Hockey was always my favorite)
      3. Yes, Baseball and basketball. Youth only.
      4. Carey Price, and I would invite his girl. :)
      5. Tough one. Have to name three. Burly, L and Habfab.

———————————–

• Ron says:

1. 6 ( damaged knee stopped being serious )
      2. Hockey
      3. EDIT : Had to take the bench when coach got thrown out (alot). Was GM of Jr A team for 8 years.
      4. Prust, would love to sit one on one and talk hockey fights in general. Since he’s our resident boy I would like to get his candid thoughts, not the tv ones.
      5. Ian, because we are the old bas*tards on here I believe. Also have had some good net talks with each other.

• Mike D says:

1. Probably a 4 or 5. Too bad for the Habs I wasn’t better though. I’m a 6’2″ right-handed Center born in Montreal. Actually, I guess that’s too bad for me more so than them :-P.
      2. Hockey and Volleyball
      3. No.
      4. Tough call, but probably PK. Cole and Max-Pac are up there too. They all seem like fun/funny down-to-earth guys who would actually speak candidly.
      5. Also a tough call. Are there any pretty girls on HIO? ;-)

- Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• Rugger says:

1. One (never learned to skate)
      2. Rugby
      3. Coached UMass Lowell Rugby for 4 years.
      4. no clue (whoever would pay at the finest restaurant?
      5. Ian – stories would be great to hear.

• twilighthours says:

1) 6 maybe? You could put me on the ice with most levels of hockey player and I won’t embarrass myself too much.
      2) tennis as a kid, hockey as I got older, running now that I’m old.
      3) Yep – hockey, and lots of it
      4) Not convinced any of them would be overly interesting. PK might be. Can you imagine having a 2 hour conversation with Patches or Gionta? Zzzzzz.
      5) Boone, of course. This question was the reason I replied to this.

• Cal says:

1. Is a negative number available?
      2. Tennis
      3. Adult Rec League Hockey- if you can call that hockey.
      4. Markov- been my favourite Hab for a while. I’d like to find out firsthand what his struggles with his kneee has been like.
      5. Bellyful. But we’d probably come to blows. ;)

• Bripro says:

OK, I’m a little late here, but what the hell.

1. – My perpective? 7, My coaches’… I sluffed between 7 and 2.
      2. Soccer, although I preferred hockey.
      3. 12 years, league manager for 7 (both hockey and soccer)
      4. Scott Gomez… let’s face it, he’s lights-out the funniest guy on the team.
      5. There’d have to be more than one. On an equal footing for me would be John B (love his sense of humour), Chris (Intellect), Gerry (good-natured), Frank (witty) and Jim (he’s very respectful).
      Ah crap….why not the whole gang. But it would have to be a pot-luck supper.

EDIT: After careful consideration, and the fact that Jim didn’t invite me, I’ve removed him from my list, and washed his place mat. That’s all.

• jmsheehy19 says:

1. 2 (Growing up in the South didn’t lend me many opportunities)
      2. Basketball by a country mile
      3. Youth Basketball and Sorority Football (Awesome)
      4. I’m gonna cheat and say Darche. He just seems like he’d be interesting to have a beer with. Sticking by the rules, I’ll go with Emelin. Just to try and play charades to understand each other.
      5. uhhh, JT I guess? Actually where is she? Backup goes to Bipro, as he likes Guinness if I remember. So we’d either get drunk and have a blast, or get drunk and have a fight. Either way, memorable.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

5. nuna

• Timo says:

1. Are negative numbers valid? I’d give myself a modest -4
      2. Tennis
      3. Yep. Poor kids needed therapy
      4. Gomez. I would ask him how the F does he do it? And listen and learn.
      5. Of course, my hero, Boone. No question about it.

• neumann103 says:

I guess a 3. I played Novice and Atom as a kid, quit in PeeWee when all they players left were jerks whose parents thought they had a real shot at the NHL. Played a lot of road hockey. Was on skates maybe three times in the next 20 years. Took it up again in my early 30s when a friend began his mid life crisis and I asked to join in. Play in a pretty competitive league once a week all year round on a team with players generally better than me, and about half the time I play a second night in a very non-competitive league. Am a terrible skater but had good hockey sense even as a child.

2. What is or was your best sport?
      Well, hockey I guess. It is the only one I have played regularly and formally for a long period.

3. Have you ever coached (a sport)?*
      Not really. I serve as kind of the bench boss for my team. Most of my inspired decisions revolve around pulling myself off the ice in favour of someone better. Very proud of my line changes.

4. If you could have dinner with one current Hab (PK included :) , who would that be and why?
      “So Tomas, tell me about the turtleneck… and would you like more bean medley?”

5. If you could have dinner with one HIO person, who would that be?
      Can’t be just one! I would say Chris, Bill, HabInBurlington, the rookie of the year: commandant … and of course Un Canadien Errant, I’ll miss you most of all

“Et le but!”

37. HabFanSince72 says:

Well… I had to look.

For the past week, most of the top stories on my various newsfeeds have been about the royal bosom. I have zero interest in the royals and couldn’t name any of them besides QEII and Charles, but my curiosity was finally piqued and I went looking to see what the fuss was about.

Talk about making a mountain out of a (couple of) molehill(s).

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

38. accp says:

I don’t blame the players no matter how much they make. if they back off this time. four or five years from now. the owners will try the same thing …

• Ron says:

What was the deciding factor that changed your mind as too the blame game. On a previous article you blamed both side with the greed angle.

• solomio says:

Players have to back off to some degree. They are after all employees and there is no doubt the previous CBA was skewed grossly in their favour. Since when do employees get 57% of revenue.Owners might settle for 50/50

“I figure Bergevin has 3 or 4 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

• neumann103 says:

Employees might get 57% of the revenue when they are also the product (and the real question is “57% of what?”,What is defined as Hockey related revenue and what loopholes exist)

But to say, referring to the players “there is no doubt the previous CBA was skewed grossly in their favour” is just odd. The owners routed the players in 2005 and practically broke the union. They got everything they wanted. The notion that the players won the previous CBA negotiations would be an extreme minority opinion (minority of 1?). Certainly not “no doubt”.

Now it is fair to say that the players have done very well out of this deal, entirely related to the significant growth in revenues. Somehow the owners have not been able to be happy with their similarly growing slice of the pie.

“Et le but!”

39. Mr. Biter says:

If the season is lost (hopefully not) does the season count against a players contract? ie. reduces 1 year off of Gomers contract?

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

40. JayK-47 says:

Speaking of multimedia, what kinda smart phone displays HIO like a desktop? Thx.

• Bripro says:

None.
      Only the iPad, laptop or desktop.
      I’m not sure about the other tablets.

• twilighthours says:

Not true. Android phones have the ability to bypass the mobile browser view. This was a big reason I abandoned iPhone and went Android.

Plus, iPhone 5 is just totally underwhelming.

• neumann103 says:

Android is pretty good.I have a Samsung Galaxy SII running IceCreamSandwich and while the keyboard is still a frustration, you can interface with the full site,not some horrible mobile version or App. Apart from the tiny text and having no arrow, Tab, CTRL etc keys it is pretty good.

Discussions are threaded, which apparently is not true on iOS devices. Or at least that is what people have said and every time I see someone post what is clearly a reply but not as a reply but instead as a new post at the top of the thread I grit my teeth and say “not his fault he must be on an iPhone”

“Et le but!”

• Phil C says:

You can do it with an iphone (I have a 3GS), but you have to download a different browser. I use Mercury because it’s a free app. In settings you change the “Identify Browser as” setting to Chrome or some other non-mobile browser.

41. kempie says:

Here’s a good one:

Blake Wheeler ‏@BiggieFunke
    NHL has lost 1,698 regular-season games to labour disputes since 1992. More than Major League Baseball (938), NBA (504) and NFL (0) combined

42. HabFab says:

For all those in Halifax. PK in town for taping of 22 Minutes today.

PKSubban1 just landed in beautiful #Halifax! What a great day! @ the studio getting ready for the show tonight! pic.twitter.com/dYTV1YTl

43. HabFab says:

@commandant – really don’t see why the NHLPA should receive monies from any of those items excluded from the HRR in either the linked article or your comments.

44. HabFab says:

As mentioned below, am curious as to why Desjardins, Palushaj and St Denis were not put on waivers and sent down. Perhaps it is because they have higher AHL salaries but so does Blunden. Will be interesting to find out.

45. SmartDog says:

Interesting that among the players who are practicing together: Price, Gionta, Moen, Gorges, White, etc. is this name: Brendan Gallagher. The kid (or his dad) has smarts. Why not come east a little early and practice at a higher level.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Ron says:

He was assigned by the Habs today to Hamilton so he is coming. But maybe not early enough to catch up with the vets.

• SmartDog says:

Yah I know. But he’s smart to make some extra effort to spend a bit of time with Gionta and others. I bet that’s his dad – who seems to be guiding this kid in some very smart ways.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Ron says:

As long as his dad dosn’t become a Lindros dad we got a beauty in Brandon.

• SmartDog says:

For sure. Seems like his dad’s just a real work ethic guy. Trainer for the Vancouver Giants, in interviews Brandon says stuff about waking up on Saturday mornings to see his dad unloading big tires on their lawn for his Saturday morning workout. lol

————————————-
            Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

46. SmartDog says:

Wow. The ONE GOOD THING about the lock-out: the players are interested in being in front of microphones.

These are GREAT interviews. The Price one is terrific and 7 minutes long. I love his comment on PK’s contract situation (near the front).

Also later (for those of you who think the players are going to Europe because they need the pocket change) he explains the need to stay sharp.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• HabFanSince72 says:

Interesting.

Think of the American teams that have had good records, playoff runs, and/or exciting players over the past 4-5 years? You’d think they would be financially healthy.

Yet the following teams were all money losers in 2011:

Pittsburgh, LA Kings, Caps, Sharks, Ducks, Devils, Lightning, Hurricanes.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

47. habbernack says:

The players’ say they won’t take a pay cut and then they go to the KHL to play for less.. does the KHL have a union??

ability is what you’re capable of doing.
    attitude determines how you do it

48. Rob D says:

Hope many fans just tune out the NHL crap for a while. Go and watch/support your local Jr. A teams, college/university squads, kids hockey…if you have never done it, I think you’ll be surprised at how much fun it can be. I’ve met so many great people just sitting in rinks with them..trying to keep warm over a cup of java. It’s as addicting as NHL hockey can be but its far, FAR cheaper and in my experience, way more social.

The NHL model is broken. I’m not sure it will ever be put together in a fashion that works for everybody.

49. Cohen Chatter says:

we should only be so lucky to have
    Palushaj picked up by someone else. Why is this guy on the team?
    Good move re Leblanc.

• shiram says:

Cause we traded Matt D’agostini for him.

• commandant says:

He’s 22 years old and put up a point per game for 2 years in the AHL.

Why give up on a young player who shows offensive potential at lower levels.

Here’s an idea, when he comes up to the NHL, instead of playing him on the fourth line with guys like Blunden, Nokelainen, Engqvist, Darche, Staubitz and the other rag – tag group he got to play with, why not try a player who is offensively talented in the AHL with a guy like Eller (and they played together in Peoria as well), and see if two offensive players on the third line together might work.

• shiram says:

He only got PPG last season in the AHL, and he had a good season the one before, at 0.84/PPG.
        He’s also a RW and having some of those with top 6 potential is a good thing for our farm.

50. Rad says:

That should be an interesting team down at the farm, especially the D.

51. commandant says:

No surprising names. In fact the biggest surprise is two players who aren’t named….. Cedric Desjardins and Aaron Palushaj.

Perhaps MB assumed that Palushaj wouldn’t clear waivers.

But I see no reason to leave Cedric off the list, there can’t be many teams that want to claim him on waivers when he has cleared many times in the past, and he is needed in Hamilton.

A Mayer/Delmas goaltending two some would be a nightmare for the Dogs and would hurt the development of the many young defencemen (4 rookies) we are sending to Hamilton.

• Bripro says:

Do you really think Paluj wouldn’t have cleared waivers?
      I don’t think anyone was claimed over the weekend. Are you aware of any? And there’s no risk on the way back, unless the team is slow in submitting on the re-entry waiver.

• commandant says:

We had Beauchemin claimed in the same situation in 2004. He was the only player claimed.

I guess Bergeron must have had some reason to think Palushaj was at risk, because they waived Blunden.

• Ron says:

The NHL and NHLPA agreed to allow players like Blunden with a two way contract to be sent down prior to the lockout and not be affected by the re-entry waver.

• kempie says:

I believe they had the same agreement in 2004.

• Ron says:

Not sure about the 2004 agreement Kempie but there is a time frame for re-entry this time that is based on the number of days after the lock out ends to bring them up without having the waver rule come into play. I remember when Beauchemin got tagged and I think the Habs let too much time lap before the call up if it was the lock out waver back then that got him.

• shiram says:

Weird indeed that those 2 are not included, especially since Desjardins was signed this summer.

edit : got this from HFB concerning Desjardins/Palushaj : “Waiver eligible players. They’ll most likely sign AHL deals with Hamilton as a result. Ditto for St-Denis.”

• Un Canadien errant says:

Thanks for that boys. I read the release on TSN, and the absence of Aaron Palushaj on that list jumped out at me (what a nerd am I eh?), and I couldn’t understand why. I figured the answer would be found here.

I don’t fully understand the distinction though. Because the players are locked out, they are free to join an AHL team on an AHL contract, and then walk back to their NHL club when the lockout ends? Wasn’t there an agreement that players sent down wouldn’t be subject to waivers? Or was this only players on Entry Level Contracts?

What did I ever do before joining HIO?

• Bripro says:

I often wonder the same thing. Three of us used to share information regarding the Habs, but what we read or learn on HIO is so much more “real-time”.
          The special waiver period, granted by the NHL executive gave them until lock-out to waive players, without having to be claimed on re-entry, as long as they claim them up to 3 days prior to the first practice after the lock-out is over.

• commandant says:

The strange thing is how Blunden was put on waivers but the other three weren’t. There doesn’t appear to be anything special about Blunden.

• rnnoble says:

Is Desjardins even eligible to go to the AHL during the lockout? I think I remember reading that there were restrictions on who could be sent down. Desjardins is over 25, and may not be allowed to go down. That’s a guess, though.
      EDIT: Nevermind, just looked it up (Probably should have done that before commenting). He just had to clear waivers. So I have no idea why he wasn’t sent down.

52. Cal says:

Thanks for the reports, Dave. It’s the only real hockey news we’re likely to get for a looooooong looooooooooong time.

53. ont fan says:

I heard it took 11 years for MLB to get their fan base back. Some teams have never recovered it.