Multimedia: Habs not so super vs Devils

AUDIO: Brian Gionta | Hal Gill | P.K. Subban

The Canadiens’ three-game winning streak hit a wall Super Bowl Sunday afternoon at the Bell Centre, the Habs falling 4-1 to the resurgent New Jersey Devils.

The Devils scored on their first two shots of the game then pretty much coasted the rest of the way, the Habs’ P.K. Subban scoring on a bank shot to pull Montreal back to 3-1 before Ilya Kovalchuk iced things into an empty Canadiens net with 1:21 left to play.

And it wasn’t even Canadiens nemesis Martin Brodeur who made the difference in this one: Brodeur left the game with a bruised right knee after the first period and didn’t return, yielding the Devils net to Johan Hedberg. His replacement yielded one goal on 15 shots after Brodeur had stopped 10 in the first; Carey Price, coming off a shutout in Saturday’s 2-0 victory over the New York Rangers, made 26 saves on the 29 shots he faced.

The Canadiens don’t practice Monday. They fly Tuesday to Boston for Wednesday’s game vs. the Bruins.

cie06QzlG0Q

1. Bogie Man says:

I see alot of posters whining about the refs. We do not play against the refs and we do take some bad penalties. Sure the refs miss penalties but to say we lose games because of poor officiating is really directing the blame in the wrong direction. We lose games because we are a team that can play flat defensively and are a team at times struggle to put the puck in the net. Lets face it a good percentage of our wins with little exception have been low scoring games where the defence and our goaltending have been amazing. I relaly hope we do something at the trade deadline to pick up a tp 6 forward and a defenceman that can share the load.

2. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Uh oh, trouble in paradise.  Superstar Kessel is mad because his coach is calling him out on his non-existent defensive play.

3. Duracell3 says:

Why was a giant version of this not in war of the worlds

4. Mattyleg says:

The ‘Ultimate’ All-Star.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

5. Cool Ice Price says:

YAWN …

Habs Passion unites us all

6. adam76 says:

but Kessel is an ALL STAR

7. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I know, I know, it’s past your bedtime, but try to keep up Dean.

8. Duracell3 says:

In other sports news, very content with results of the bowl game.

9. J.T. says:

Aw, Skillsie.  You’re not the only one who’d like that first minute back.  It doesn’t matter in the big picture, though.  Good teams lose and guys who ate PK minutes yesterday will screw up today.  Nobody’s perfect, and neither is any team.  As Philly and Vancouver will discover before the year is out.

10. Cool Ice Price says:

Agreed JT

We have been seeing this from Montreal for 18 yrs and counting!

Habs Passion unites us all

11. Cool Ice Price says:

HIO needs a feature where you can block a members coments on your end from having to view them.

12. fbkj says:

you just might be on to something

13. punkster says:

Timo could be a Packers fan.

***Subbang!!!***

14. Da Hema says:

All you Green Bay and Steelers fans should be happy your team is in the show. I’d die for the Dallas Cowboys, but my team has an owner who thinks he’s fuc*ing Socrates because his daddy found some oil.

15. Habnofear says:

Great 1/2 time but NUTHING BEATS A JACKSON NIPPLE;)

16. olematelot says:

The only good thing about that show was the part where Fergy sang some GNR

17. jennifer1984 says:

First the Habs and now the Steelers……fml!

18. Habitant in Surrey says:

…almost 4 weeks ago I advised Booneski I was anticipating My Packers to shove snot upside His Steelers anuses …well, it was closer than I anticipated …yet, I hope His liver holds up, because now anticipating About This Afternoon

…can’t wait

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

19. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Steelers refusing to go away.

20. Ayan_SB says:

Man, Aaron Rodgers is just unreal. What a QB!

21. SeriousFan09 says:

Could this day go any worse for Boone?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

22. Psycho29 says:

Is that Will Ferrell or Roger Staubach?????

23. thehags says:

You know i don’t mind losing,but when we have to play against the refs too,it’s kind of a downer.

24. slapshot777 says:

At least somebody had a set of balls to give it to the refs. It was good for Gomez to give it to them. The refs are all there to call the grey area penalties on the Habs but when it comes the other way they seem to put their whistle away. If the Habs were leading this game by a 3-1 score I could bet the farm that there would have been at least 2 or 3 penaties called against the Habs. I am not blaming the loss on the officiating, because the Habs just came out flat and by the time they realized what they had to do to get back in it the game was pretty much over.

All I would like to see is consistent officiating. The only thing the Habs see consistently from the refs is penalties called frequently on them and ignored against the opposition.

Anyway this game is over, no use pointing fingers now. Get a couple of days off and get ready to beat the Bruins.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

25. Rainrocket16 says:

There has been only a few games this season that the Habs have had officiating go our way. It seems they are trying to bring us down. Almost seems like Bettman is paying us back for knocking out his two precious commodities last season.

26. Rainrocket16 says:

I was very busy today and pre-occupied with a super bowl party, but I got random glimpses of the game. I saw it was 2-0 then 3-1 eventually. I saw many times where the Devils were awful lucky we didn’t take that one back from them, we have heart and it is not dwindling no matter how many injuries we get, or no matter how many times the Refs screw us!!

Congrats Packers!

27. observer says:

Re: “only one record was set — fewest combined rushing attempts, with 36. The Packers ran the ball 13 times, and the Steelers ran the ball 23 times.”

The Steelers ran the ball “ONCE” too many times!

28. Psycho29 says:

Michael???

:-)

29. Cool Ice Price says:

Eller needs a stint in Hamilton. AK & Moen have to go.

Habs Passion unites us all

30. BJ says:

It was a typical frustrating game vs New Jersey but we still picked up 6 of 8 points this week. I wish we could bury our chances when we get them. A quick question, should we get rid of our entire fourth line for next season and bring in some beef? I would say yes. Halpern has done OK so far but the energy and banging just isn’t there. They don’t bring much to the plate.

31. Willy the bum says:

At least the game is over so that everybody in town, including the Habs and Devils, could rush to their homes or hotels – or even a bar around town – and watch the Super Bowl. Then everybody is happy at the end of the day. :P

32. ClaytonM says:

They mentioned thlack of a holding call on Gill on CBC a few times, and even the high stick on Hamrlik and Hedberg interfering with Gomez.

You get a well called game on CBC when that old fart boob cole isn’t working the game.

33. W35T5ID3 says:

Yo Mama so toothless it takes her an hour to eat minute rice.

34. showey47 says:

I would love to move spacek now and take back a defenceman who is a ufa this upcoming summer just to move his 3.85 million dollar contract for the next season. Then using the money to help keep the guys we want to retain like markov,wiz,gorges and gill. Worst case scenerio we could bring back hamr for one more year at a considerably cheaper price then the 3.85 we would be paying spacek for next season.

35. andrewberkshire says:

It’s the worst, because no one can stay mad after.

36. fbkj says:

LOL DL, ing that one for my buds to be used in such a manner…

37. andrewberkshire says:

I think my favourite thing on the whole internet though, is this:

A friend of mine that I talk to on blackberry messenger nearly 24/7, whenever we troll each other (he’s a leafs fan) we send this image after awhile.

38. fbkj says:

Yo Moma So Poor when I rang her doorbell, SHE said ‘Ding-Dong’

39. fbkj says:

you only see her at get togethers? get off the internet and keep your baby off the pole dude :)

40. punkster says:

Odd? That’s what my daughter says about me at family get togethers.

***Subbang!!!***

41. Cool Ice Price says:

I agree. Package them up with Moen & AK

Habs Passion unites us all

42. fbkj says:

no, i was seconded, meaning you lose… *throwsrandomtchotchkesatandrewshead*

43. andrewberkshire says:

I don’t think Hammer would sign for cheap if he’s going to be a 7th d-man. For all his faults and his age he’s still a top 6 defenseman on almost any team in the NHL. Right now I think he’s better than Weber of the 6 I listed and that’s it, but Weber’s development has been exponential so I’d rather keep it going.

44. andrewberkshire says:

Gill is great, and I’d rather him back next year than Hammer or Spacek (if we can trade him). Could you imagine how good this team would be with these defensive lines?

Markov – Wiz

Gill – Subban

Gorges – Weber

Everyone playing their natural side, every pairing with an offensive weapon. Every pairing with good to excellent puck moving abilities.

45. fbkj says:

i dont disagree

i guess im just cognitively comfy with the old lug in the fold

46. fbkj says:

oh id rather wiz as well, thats not what i meant, i meant his 6 AND hammer

47. andrewberkshire says:

I would on the pretense of getting rid of Spacek, but only then.

48. andrewberkshire says:

You’re right about both points, but who’s ice time does Hammer take there? I think the youth movement with Weber and Subban is taking over. And honestly with how much Weber’s improved over just 20 games, next year I’d rather him than Hamrlik at 37.

49. punkster says:

Oh yeah…your mama!

***Subbang!!!***

50. Duracell3 says:

I’d rather see Wiz, but if we can’t have him, then Hammer for cheap. Or even do it anyway and just have Weber play when others are hurt which seems to be a common theme. I don’t see anyone would would take spacek though.

51. ooder says:

i second fbkj…

gimme the hammer.. and give him less ice time

however… spacek is soooooo much better on his natural side it’s not even funny

——————

GWG = game winning gionta!

52. ooder says:

100% agree

——————

GWG = game winning gionta!

53. fbkj says:

i say resign hammer

for cheap

54. SeriousFan09 says:

I know, I’m a huge Gill fan, it’s just nice to see a locker room where it doesn’t always have to be the Captain (like it so often was with Saku) getting pelted with the questions about what went wrong and why the team lost. Group leadership makes it less of a strain on everyone.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

55. W35T5ID3 says:

…Beautiful!…you tell him….

56. Duracell3 says:

Not exactly sure what you are saying, but Eller didn’t play in the WHL, probably thinking of someone else (ian schultz?) Last year in Peoria (AHL) was his first time playing in NA.

I agree about sending him to Hamilton though.

57. chevy013 says:

you think Eller is talented?

hahaha

IO never laughed so hard in my life. talented? HAHAHA

58. fbkj says:

ZOMG YOU LAUGHED?

59. Mattyleg says:

I’m not big on Eller at the moment either, but I don’t have a hate on for him… I just think he needs to get some more conditioning down in the Hammer. Get some confidence. Get some goals under his belt. Like Max Pac did.

He was in the WHL last year (I think!) and isn’t too un-used to the North American game.

He will certainly come into his own (like Max) but i think that once Cammy is back, we could do worse than send him down for a bit. Both DD and Max are fitting right in, moreso than Eller. I’m all for patience, but I think that we would do better by giving him a stint with the ‘Dogs.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

60. joeybarrie says:

OK SCOTTY BOWMAN, Lars plays in the NHL. He is said to become a top 2 line forward by many pro scouts. What, pray tell, do you do for a living that makes your obviously highly sought after opinion clearly so much better than mine. To the point you have to laugh at me…

can tell you’ve never laughed so hard in your life. I imagine you get ALOT of laughs over the internet. Like I said before, maybe you should go outside and deal with people face to face. It migh improve your demeanor.

By the way Chevy013 (brilliant handle by the way) i remember alot of people bashing Price, and other young talent. So who do you think is probably right about this. Someone who is judging him after 50 games in the NHL or someone who compared him to the other guys in my orher post…

I guess time will tell, but then again you not really man enough to keep one screen name. Once you wear it out, just pop back on spewing the same old stupidity. And again, THIS is what entertains you. Who’s laughing now?

Ill give you a hint… Its EVERYONE, and they are laughing at you.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

61. Rainrocket16 says:

If only the Cup would return to its rightful home!

62. Say Ash says:

At least the Lombardi trophy is going home today.

63. grosbill4 says:

I like that leadership aspect of what Gill’s done for the team. He sucked it up and admitted he made a careless play.

Am I the only person who suspected there could’ve been a holding call on that play though? Nobody talked about it on RDS, but there was clearly a hand (Zubrus) off a Devil’s stick, on Gill’s jersey, which seemed to directly lead to the turnover.

Again, I could be crazy (don’t be shy – call me crazy).

64. ooder says:

Gill, PG, JM, his teammates’ and most fans know how useful Gill is…

one bad turnover does not a career make…

yesterday i honestly felt that he killed off all of the rangers PP’s by himself.. he was that dominant on the PK

——————

GWG = game winning gionta!

65. SeriousFan09 says:

Give Gill credit, he never hides and will always answer the bell with the media even on nights where he was far from the best defencemen on the ice.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

66. joeybarrie says:

Whats with all the hate for Lars Eller. He is a talented young player who is new to the North American game. He is a big kid who will hopefully gain some weight. He plays 10 minutes a game.

Cammalleri has 8 points in 30 games with the Kings his first season.

Patrick Sharp had 9 points in 41 games and 16 points in 80 games in his first 3 seasons…

Ryan Kesler had 5 points in his first 30 games. Same with Dustin Brown

Tomas Fleischmann had 10 points in his first 45 games over 2 seasons.

Mike Fisher had 9 points in his first 31 games

Mike Knuble had 13 points in 53 games… AFTER only 1 point in 9 games his first 2 seasons with Detroit.

MARTIN ST LOUIS had 2 points in 13 games and then 18 in 56….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

67. Mark C says:

If you think Eller belongs in the AHL then I can’t see why you feel Montreal gave up on D’Agostini. He had 4 points in 40 games when he was traded, and was eligible for waivers, so sending down would have risked losing him for nothing. Sorry can’t have it both ways.

68. BJ says:

So far it appears as if the Halak trade was not a great one. Having said that Eller does have talent and I agree that a stint in Hamilton would help get him an identity (like Pacioretty). Gomez a good 2nd line centre but yes too much off the cap. But our most serious need is energy and toughness. As I mentioned before I would clear out the entire fourth line and bring in some energy and beef (as in toughness).

69. fbkj says:

gomez complaints, warranted, but boring

eller, okay hamilton may be fair, but he is an asset, id argue about his gameplay but why go through that song and dance again, this also applies to the halak trade, which so far, landslide montreal winning that one… as for dags, fans wanted him out moreso than management… just sayin

70. Jocko says:

Just a few words.  man, I am sick of Eller, Gomez, and Picard.  I am not going off on any other guy who may or may not need to go, but these guys, uggg!!  Eller, you need to get to Hamilton.  I watch this kid game after game and I have no idea what role the kid fills.  Is he a good centreman who can win faceoffs, no.  Is he a set up man, nope, goal scorer, nope, defensive specialist, nope.  The kid gives up the puck to many times and is CURRENTLY not ready for the NHL.  Go to Hamilton and find what type of player you want to be.

Gomez, well, it’s sad but his salary is a large reason most people complain about him.  He is another guys that has to find his game.  Where is this guy foing to fit in.  He cannot be one of the top two centremen.

As for Picard, I don’t know, there has got to be someone in the system better.

I have to ask you all, if your boss at work got rid of a good asset and got nothing in return, don’t you think he would be fired?  The Halak trade was botched, BIG TIME!  The habs gave up an asset on a high for nothing that will help the current team.  To boot, they gave up D’Agostini. Great management!  Sam Pollack probably turned over in his grave.

Hope I get some comments, good, bad or indifferent.

I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

71. fbkj says:

i will not deny that i used the word “landslide” as a lulzbomb

but its sunday and i hate football so im well within my rights here :)

72. Mark C says:

The jury is still out on the Halak deal and will be for years. Based on the numbers this year, Halak is one of the worst #1 goalies in the league. Halak is a relatively fully developed NHL player whereas Eller is four years younger and still trying to establish himself in the league. It is not fair to compare both players based on the first 50 or so games.

The best news from a Montreal standpoint is that the early returns point to the right goalie being kept.

73. fbkj says:

sergei, like dags, was written off by the habs fanbase as well

74. Duracell3 says:

#1 goalie for an ahl player and a guy with 8 points in 49 games, landslide victory.

Dags production, while better than when he was here, is only partially indicative of his play, which has in fairness improved. But he’s a one trick pony, and he gets to play a big role with an awful team. I would still take any of our top 6 wingers..and even others we currently have over him, and I seriously doubt we could have gotten more for him at the time.

As for other goalies, if the habs are going to be so defensive, Price should not have to deal with the amount of ridiculousness of a game like today. Probably the worst game I’ve seen from Gill in a habs uniform.

Thankfully, the division isn’t exactly amazing, and the first seed can still be ours, so hopefully we can still go at least as far in the playoffs as the flyers, and with some bounces who knows, maybe the third time is the charm.

75. Duracell3 says:

Fair point about the goalie market, but I still think they could have gotten more had they put him on the open market, but I would by no means call what we got a landslide. Regardless, I think eller just need to get stronger and most of his problems will go away. I have a lot of hope for him after next summer.

76. fbkj says:

what im saying is given the market where niemi walked with the hawks getting nothing in return, we at least got a guy who doesnt make very many mistakes, has an impecabble work ethic and has a tremendous upside. halak isnt exactly turning heads in st-louis.

agreed about dags

and gill agrees with you about gill

77. fbkj says:

edit double post

78. BJ says:

Other than Gainey getting nothing in either draft choices or a trade when we turned over 9 players two years ago was a huge loss and mistake (those lost draft choices could be useful in a trade now) was the loss of Sergei Kostitsyn for nothing, unless Boyd is re-invited next year and can get some goals as he has in Hamilton. But I’m afraid we will lose him as well unless he’s traded this year and we probably won’t get much as he signed for this year only.

79. Mattyleg says:

That’s cool: you have a $5,000 bet, and I don’t have $5,000!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

80. Storm Man says:

I would have bet with you:)

I have a $5000 bet on this game, Will it be Green Bay or the Steelmen today.? Green Bay wins the toss. I win!

82. habs365 says:

so much for the powerful first line JM put together..the other three lines..no comment..I don’t really know what PG is gonna do before trade deadline but.. scoring is an issue and for sure a short playoff run..it makes a person scratch their head why they can’t score more..does anyone have the answer..I give up..other than the scoring..my opinion..we have a good team..someone come up with an answer for these guys to score more……

83. Laramy87 says:

I sure do hate playing the devils, we just have no luck at all against them. The refs def put thier whistles away in the 3rd. I guess they didnt want this game to go long so they could go home and watch the superbowl…

I like how Gomez got booted at the end, he was arguing and legit penalty and Jim Hughson made a good point. He said when the goalie is out of the net you still dont hit them cuase its a penalty, but why do the rules not apply the other way. When Hedberg hit Gomez thats a penaly. Habs should have had 3 powerplays in that 3rd period, but nothing.

Side note, do you think PG should sign Gill. Ithink he should.

84. Danno says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if a deal or two is in the works before the end of this month so stay tuned

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

85. BJ says:

My money on the guy that brings the least to the team is Pyatt. Eller in Hamilton, yes. Moen to go -no problem but I would keep AK. He’s been defensively reponsible for the last 10-12 games. One of our best passers. Our most consistent hitter with Pouliot up front. Unless you get serious value in return, he’s a keeper.

86. fbkj says: