Multimedia from the winning room

MoenPens

The Canadiens in shootouts before Tuesday night: four goals in 27 tries
Against Marc-André Fleury: 3-for-8
And the winning streak hits two!

AUDIO of Randy Cunneyworth

1. rhino514 says:

Louis Leblanc is listed as a 7.5C by Hockeysfuture. Potential second line forward, but may not reach full potential. So he´s considered borderline. He sure has looked good on the big club, though.
    Any opinions out there on wether the kid will or won´t make it? And who is more likely to succeed, LL or Gallagher?
    Who thinks they will both be on the big club next season?
    If even one of them makes it, would one of Kostitsyn, Bourque, or Gionta (unlikely) go, or would the team stick them on a potentially very strong third line (possibly precipitating Moen´s exit)?

2. jonnyp says:

Gomez as team MVP lol

3. The Jackal says:

How is Bourque so far? Yay or nay?

I’ve been thinking… It is beginning to look like Darche (bless his heart) is turning into equivalent of Breezer (although his hair not nearly as good) from the perspective that you just can’t get him out of the lineup.

And no… I have not been thinking about it for too long.

• gmd says:

I’m on the bandwagon and will be going “full Darche” from now on!

• Da Hema says:

Darche must have the most compromising of pictures of Gauthier and/or Molson. I can understand with injuries this year that Darche is at least a body to throw on the ice, but playing him late in third periods during games the team is down by a goal or two? That just defies all reason.

• matt jordan says:

He has no talent, but so much heart. He’s definately not a passenger on this team, like some of his more talented teammates …. Bourque, Gomez who have the gauranteed millions so they refuse to throw a hit.

• Timo says:

That’s why I said “bless his heart”

• Da Hema says:

That’s true, but his attitude doesn’t appear contagious with some of his teammates. At any rate, heart alone doesn’t score goals, and Darche shouldn’t be getting the kind of ice time he does when the team is desperate for them. I can see, as you do, the effort, but I think at this stage the Canadiens need to audition the team’s younger players by giving them more ice time.

• gmd says:

The only reason I could come up with for him being out there for all that time tonight was maybe the coach thought he and Pleks could shut down Malkin. However I can’t think of why he’s out there so much on other nights.

• Da Hema says:

I agree. But I was thinking about so many games this past season when it was almost like Darche was being double-shifted when the team desperately needed a goal.

I hear there that talk about NHL in Seattle… Hey, I’d vote for it if it meant Gomer goes there. They will have all the cap space in the world :)

6. Boomer says:

i knew the habs would win today when a dwarf walked by me and smiled

Boom baby!

Where did everyone go? Come on, people!!! Habs WON! Where is the talk about who would be a better matchup in the first round. Where is the talk about who we should acquire to make a serious push for the cup this year? Price sucks, Halak is great? Argh… boring.

8. Chris says:

In a season where the Habs have caught their fair share of bad luck, it was nice to see some luck go their way. From the number of posts hit by the Penguins (including in the shootout) to the unbelievably odd goal by Eller, it’s been a while since I felt like the hockey gods were smiling on the Habs for a night.

Good game by the youngsters. Subban was very solid, and seemed to be playing in control. Leblanc had a solid game, and that was a nice re-direction pass by Kostitsyn. I’ll say it again…I often think that Kostitsyn would be much better if expectations of him as a 30 goal scorer that is underperforming went out the window and the team started using him more as a Tanguay-esque set-up man from the wing. Kostitsyn is so creative sometimes.

Only nit-picky thing, but it is something that absolutely drives me bonkers. The last shift change in overtime was absolutely silly. Plekanec had the puck with about 30-40 seconds to go in overtime and the Habs hit the line with a numbers advantage. That was a perfect time to get into their zone and try to pressure them. Instead, Plekanec meekly dumped the puck in and went off for the prescribed change. The Penguins got the puck, rushed up and got a nice chance and earned an offensive zone faceoff. If the Habs had pressed with the best player on the ice, the Penguins perhaps never get that chance. The kicker is that Plekanec was the one that ended up coming out anyways for that faceoff.

Plekanec, Darche (why he got so much time in OT is beyond me), Subban and Gorges had been on for 40 seconds…yes, that is a reasonably long shift, but they’ve all played longer many times and they had the advantage. They were no less fresh than the Penguins players (Malkin, Neal, Orpik and Letang) who had all been out for the same amount of time, even longer in Orpik’s case. Little plays like that can be a difference maker, and it sort of showed me that they were more playing not to lose in overtime than they were playing to win.

Thankfully, they pulled it out in OT so it is all a moot point. But it really irked me when I saw that. I hate dump-ins, but I was raised in a European soccer culture where you try not to give away the ball/puck unless you absolutely have to.

So… are they going to send Leblanc back when White is ready? That would be travesty. The little guy was pretty good tonight.

Because I don’t give a rat’s ass about this season anymore it was actually an enjoyable game to watch. A customary blown lead, a customary softy by Price, vintage Gomer… but a good game. Chippy, dirty, fast. First time I enjoyed watching a Habs’ game in a long time. They still suck but this was fun for a change.

• Chris says:

That’s been my M.O. since early December, and I find I’ve really enjoyed the games that I’ve caught. I’m focussing more on the young kids that are likely to be with the team in 2-3 years instead of worrying about the stiffs (Gill, Gomez, Darche, etc.) that aren’t performing to their previous levels.

11. ProHabs says:

Man I hate this team. They are going to go and win games now and end up in 10th or 11th place. We will miss out on picking a can’t miss prospect and will miss the playoffs. We will turn into the Leafs if we do that. We will get a middle of the pack prospect that will take 4 years just to make the NHL. Stop winning. A win is a loss at this point.

• matt jordan says:

Gauthier would be so impressed, along with Molson, that they would stick with the same team and management for next season, thinking that the last quarter of the season is the real Canadiens.

12. Les Canayens says:

Just found out that Scott Gomez’s full name is Scott Carlos Gomez.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ❝ I can’t really hear what Jeremy says, because I’ve got my two Stanley Cup rings plugging my ears.❞

13. shrack says:

Like Pacino said: “Just when I think I’m out, they pull me back in.”

14. gmur says:

Well, I really like the young players we have (Eller, Yemelin, Desharnais, Subban, Leblanc, Weber, Diaz… and I’m eager to see White play again) They give an honest effort every night and have talent. But they all really need to play their minutes next year. Clear the team of under-achieving veterans and let them play. If we could somehow get a big center (Carter, Getzlaf come to mind…) someday while only giving up one of our young players, a couple of veterans, and a draft pick, we might surprise teams sooner than many would think.

15. H.Upmann says:

Has any team ever crawled into 8th from the bottom of the barrel?

16. Say Ash says:

Fact: A guy from Denmark has scored more goals on blue-line dump-ins than Scott Gomez.

17. habsfanforever7631 says:

Great game, wow thriller!
    LL’s becoming better every day.
    I think we should give some credit to Darche today, he Tooke a lot of heat from all of us all year but today with Plec and Moen they shut down the Pens top line.
    Props.

18. The Gonk says:

I must say I just noticed the poll question and it takes the cake. Are you embarrassed to be a Canadiens fan? What the hell kind of question is that? I’m not embarrassed, I wouldn’t ever consider it. Scott Gomez might be embarrassed – of himself and his dismal play. Pierre Gauthier ought to think about it – of himself and his lack of cool. Tomas Kaberle – he wouldn’t have a clue. Geoff Molson – I’ll wait to the spring to see what he says and, more importantly, what he does to see if he should consider himself a tad ashamed. Disappointed and frustrated is what most fans feel.

19. At the age of 20, Louis Leblanc is already x20 more useful than Scott Gomez. Please dump this guy already! sigh..

20. The Jackal says:

Oh TSN….. they used an old picture for their game story
    You can see Cammaleri and Gionta clearly, hahaha man these guys are ridiculous sometimes.

21. 5 games from 8th

Rollin rollin rollin, kepp those wheels rollin…..

Shane Oliver