Multimedia from the non-practice

Jaroslav Spacek

Jaroslav Spacek speaks to reporters in Brossard.
Stubbs video capture

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Jaroslav Spacek

Scott Gomez skated early.

Carey Price hones his forward skills later.

In between, the Canadiens had a meeting. Then a few players and Jacques Martin met the media.

1. Everlasting1 says:

Congrats to the St.Louis Cardinals, now take Lord Stanley.

——————————————————————-
    “And the LORD our God delivered him before us; and we smote him, and his sons, and all his people. And we took all his cities at that time, and utterly destroyed the men, and the women, and the little ones, of every city, we left none to remain.” – Deuteronomy 2:33

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

2. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

I’m Telling you trade spacek!

3. durocher says:

1) Put Gomez in Hamilton, hope someone picks him up on re-entry;
    2) When Markov comes back, trade Weber for David Clarkson

Cammy-Pleks-Cole
    Pacioretty-DD-Gio
    AK-Eller-Clarkson
    Darche-Nokia/White-Moen
    Blunden

Markov-Subban
    Gill-Gorges
    Spacek-Emelin
    Diaz

4. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

So, if we could somehow make a Gomez, Weber + prospect/low pick for Rene Bourque trade, we could have this lineup, when healthy:

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
    Max Pacioretty ($1.625m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
    Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.250m)
    Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Erik Cole ($4.500m)
    Travis Moen ($1.500m) / Petteri Nokelainen ($0.550m) / Ryan White ($0.625m)
    / Mathieu Darche ($0.700m) / Mike Blunden ($0.615m)

DEFENSEMEN
    Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Emelin ($0.984m)
    Josh Gorges ($2.500m) / P.K. Subban ($0.875m)
    Hal Gill ($2.250m) / Raphael Diaz ($0.900m)
    Jaroslav Spacek ($3.833m)

GOALTENDERS
    Carey Price ($2.750m) / Peter Budaj ($1.150m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
    (these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
    SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $55,811,699; BONUSES: $0
    CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $8,488,301

I know it’s not likely, but that would be a pretty damn good lineup. Solid 4th line. 3 scoring lines with some size on each one. Just goes to show what our team could be without Gomez and a little tweak.

I know, dream on.

• Trisomy 21 says:

Weber is looking like a damn fine defense man, who I don’t want to part with. He’s 23, he has the best plus minus on the team (a great feat considering the slow start), he’s 23, he can really crush the puck which other than Subban, is not common on our roster, he’s 23, and he made some important goals in the playoffs, which makes me think he could be a clutch player… or it was luck. AND he’s 23!
      I mean come on, he was being juggled between 6th and 7th with mara last year, and now he’s averaging 20 minutes a game. This could be a sign of improvement, i mean after all he was only a rookie last year.

Edit: I also believe Darche deserves better than to be a healthy scratch

5. In other news.

Halak may get a start next week.

Elliot and the Blues lost against the Flamers.

Shane Oliver
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

• Everlasting1 says:

That unlikely playoff run in ’10 must have been excrutiating for you.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

6. Mr. Biter says:

WTF I cannot understand this man crush some of you have about Higgins & Lapy.
    Stats since they left Montreal:
    Higgins 139 games 24 goals 26 asst =60 points -6 plus /minus
    Lapy 50 games 2 goals 1 asst = 3 points -7 plus/minus
    Yeah, these two were going to lead us to the cup. Get over it.

Mr. Biter

• Tony McLean says:

Didn’t they play in the Stanley Cup final?

——————————–
      “Bill 101 is garbage.” – Ted Tilden

• Mr. Biter says:

I don’t believe either had a point and had limited ice time during the Boston series. It sounds like i dislike both and I don’t just posting they would not be helping us and would eat up extra salary cap.

Mr. Biter

• slychard says:

Tony, I don’t know’es ya personally, but personally, the fact these two played in the cup final means not’in , ABSOLUTELY NOT’IN to their worth as a cup worthy finalist OR winner. They were there but their contribution was minimal to laughable.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The HABelicious HABe (pr. babe) leaned forward and told the bruins fan; “Kiss my HABS!” He took one look at her displayed HABS and realized her HABS were indeed quite kissable, as opposed to his Big Bud ugly Bruinettes with their hair teased sky-high and excessive make-up. A tear ran down his cheek knowing her suggestion was a tease so he did what any red blooded man could do, he converted to HABSnation. All is well.

• Trisomy 21 says:

Fantastic brain-dead comment.
        Yeah they did, and they lost to the same team that the Habs did. Don’t confuse getting put on a team already in first place and tumbling into the finals with actually helping a team get there.

• Chris says:

Hey, I’ve never denied it’s a man-crush that I’ve got for Higgins. :)

Besides…nobody seems to mind quoting how many Cups Montreal won back before 1/3 of their fan base was born.

Nor do many fans shy away from nostalgically linking today’s team to the days of yore when Beliveau, Richard and Harvey were plying their trades, forgetting that those days are now 40-50 years ago.

I liked Higgins because he gave an honest effort most nights. Kid can’t shoot a beach ball into the ocean, but he at least hustled and did other things. Unfortunately for him, his promise to become a 40 goal scorer doomed him. Too much pressure, heightened expectations and a skill-set that couldn’t back up the cheque his mouth wrote.

He seems to be figuring out what he is: a good two-way forward that can fit into a variety of roles.

• The Cat says:

Max absolutely delivers in the playoffs.

7. Habitant in Surrey says:

…My Habs beat down first the Phlyers, second da TeddyBears …and tonight My Cards win the World Series
    …very enjoyable week, so far, indeed pour Moi
    …a repeat whack-job on da Booins will be the cherry on My Sundae Saturday night

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• cmurray11 says:

You said it my friend.
      Not to mention the game yesterday, plus the 9-8 Jets/Flyers, plus the kids beating those shatty caps. If the leafs lost, I would have called it a perfect day in sports.

________________________
      It’s all a game of inches.

8. hansolo says:

With all the talk today about Gomez, his performance and his contract, I must say I’m surprised to still see comments about trading picks away in deals for the likes of Kyle Turris, Shea Weber, Rene Bourque or Rick Nash — or, before he signed, Drew Doughty.

Haven’t we learned that:

a) Draft picks in rounds 1 and 2 are precious and not to be frittered away? Yes, there are times we have to use them — getting the Wiz last year was such a time — but they should be few. For example, was Kessel worth 2 first rounders? Or Tanguay a first and a second? I don’t think so.

b) Just because someone played well somewhere else is no guarantee he’ll do so here — the Gomez trade should have seared this into our memories. Tanguay didn’t play well here. The talk about Kyle Turris is especially surprising. What has he done in Phoenix? AK and a pick for Rene Bourque? I’ll pass.

c) We can’t mortgage our future to get 1 superstar from another team. That applies even to players like Shea Weber, Drew Doughty and Rick Nash. Yes, they are studs in their particular situations. But no team should ever allow itself to have everything hinge on 1 player like Philly has with Pronger. That superstar needs more than an average supporting cast if the goal is to win the Stanley Cup — which limits how much a team can afford to spend in cap and picks for said superstar. Even normally sensible teams forget this and go crazy, like New Jersey did with ilya Kovalchuk. Think they’ll ever get back what they eventually spent in contract, fines and draft picks for him? Or Philly with that stupid Bryzgalov contract which will weigh them down until he’s 40? What we have to give the Goat and BG credit for (despite some questionable trades) is that the Habs were competitive last year even though Markov and Gorges and MaxPac were gone a good part of the season. I thought Gomez being injured this season would have had more of an impact — that it hasn’t is because of shrewd player management. We would have every right to call for PG’s head if he got us to depend on 1 player — only for everything to go south the moment he got injured.

It’s easy to be like a kid in a candy store when trades are discussed. It’s OK to discuss them and to speculate about what might happen if we got player X or player Y. But let’s keep in mind that when we FANs spend picks and trade bodies, we do so with far less concern for the consequences than PG or BG ever did — and in our minds, our trades always work out. In real life, that doesn’t happen.

• Barts says:

Baloney. You might pick for twenty years before you hit a Rick Nash. 6’4″, 220 with hands like butter????? I’d trade every pick for the next five years for that. The Habs haven’t had a stud like him since Frank Mahovlich!

• hansolo says:

If we can draft and develop a Rick Nash, I’m all for it. Trading for a Rick Nash? Well, who would be his centre? How would he play without the puck? (Which is important in Montreal). What would we give up for him? Remember, BG tried to trade for Vinnie Lecavalier. The price would have been Pleks and Subban and perhaps Price. Would that have been a worthwhile trade?

Columbus is not an elite team despite having Rick Nash — because it’s missing other pieces. My point is that I’d rather save the picks, develop from within, and not sell the farm.

We’ve been down this road many times before. The Leclair/Desjardins trade for Recchi, the trade for Trevor Linden, and trading Langway/Engblom/etc. for Ryan Walter and Rick Green are examples. We ended up on the short end of those trades. In the salary cap era, we have to be even more careful about trading away assets — even for the Nashes and the (Shea) Webers.

• Tony McLean says:

It’s academic, we don’t have equal value unless you like the idea of Budaj as #1 because Price is gone.

——————————–
          “Bill 101 is garbage.” – Ted Tilden

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

nash never had a centre til this year, and carts is a shooter more then a set up man.

weber doughty nash, Id give up a first rounder anyday.. they are prooven. just reaseach nhl drafts and see how hard it is too land one of these guys. In Fact MOntreal has probably not even done so in your life time.

• Tony McLean says:

Frank was no Bobby Hull. And he only played 3 1/2 years with us.
        ——————————–
        “Bill 101 is garbage.” – Ted Tilden

• The Dude says:

Rick f Nash is exactly what the Habs need ! ANY TEAM could be so lucky .BIG Athletes like that are a GAME CHANGER,SEASON CHANGER and MAKE A TEAM “the real deal”!And any team that trades Nash is F’ed up! Gionta, Gomez,Cammi,Spach,andBudaj for Nash all day long!

• HardHabits says:

So what you’re saying is, we should stick to line combos. ;-)

All joking aside. I couldn’t agree more and even more so for management to adhere to those guidelines.

Excellent post!

9. twocents says:

As for the discussion surrounding the Grabovski trade, I don’t share the opinion that we’d be better off with him. His stats are a reflection of a team with few other options. Straight up, I’d take DD. Give DD his ice time and DD would outscore him.

10. twocents says:

Here you go HH, near the bottom of the page is one of the two spots where you were dismissing my points with “Habologist”. Take note of how my point is an observation on a game and how you try to attribute a Cup prediction to me even though I haven’t said anything to the effect.

Oops forgot the link.

• HardHabits says:

First of all. This is so last week. What? Were you fuming since then? Dude!!!! Couldn’t you have replied when I posted rather than now when it was still fresh in my mind. This is ultra passive aggressive of you two-pence.

The Cup picking is an analogy and an exaggeration. And I was being sarcastic. I was going to say the Division but mathematically speaking it’s still doable so I chose the Cup because that’s the penultimate exaggeration.

Why don’t you effin’ respond to what I am writing about which was the trades.

And if you had replied back then about my saying you were an Habologist it might have been more opportune. Why don’t you hit me up next month with something I said last year while you’re at it.

EDIT: Just saw the link. On one hand your point is well received and I can see how my response was lazy and as you call it baiting. However I agreed with DDH’s reply back then and was miffed by yours. I just used my catch phrase of the day on you at that moment because I didn’t have the time to write something more elaborate as it was in the morning and I had responsibilities to attend to during the day.

If it is any compensation I generally like your comments and POV and was a bit perplexed by your using that argument.

• twocents says:

Come on HH, what’s the point of responding if all you’re doing is saying Habologist and dismissing my point? It’s not like you were articulating anything that was worth responding to. Besides there’s only so much time for such things.

And, I am not sure you understand passive aggressive. It’s not synonymous with delayed response.

As for the trades, overall not bad I think. No GM wins them all, no GM. I wish we wouldn’t move as many young players as we have. I wish Sergei and Lats could have had their heads turned around while here. But, other than that, I don’t miss many of them and think there was justifiable logic in most of the trades at the time.

But, again, no GM win them all.

• HardHabits says:

I think the bigger offense was calling you a Habs Cup Winner predictor if you ask me. :-P Twice at that!!!!

As for your “debate” with DDH, I think the Habs have to protect Price by being more of a wall in front of him. Last game for example I saw Diaz totally nail a Bruin down to the ice in front of the crease area as the play was ending. I thought how it was so unlike Gorges flopping on Price.

The Habologist thing happened pre-Ladouceur. You were using the Leafs as an example in a way that IMO was counter productive to the argument DDH was trying to make. Like I stated, I acknowledge your confronting me with this and am OK with it.

As for the draft thing. The Habs can’t be perfect but they need to be something like 66-75% right given their placement in the standings and IMO should also trade players for 1st round picks more often as they did with Rivet, if only to compensate for the trend of renting players for picks, which have generally proven to be successful short term.

• Chris says:

Hardly. The Habs could be 10% right if that 10% is equivalent to the likes of Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg.

If you get lucky and find an elite player in the draft, your team is suddenly a viable contender. Your odds of finding such a player are obviously much better in the top-5 overall, but that is unlikely to ever happen in Montreal.

So we’ve got to pray that Montreal gets as pure dumb lucky as the Red Wings got with those two picks. Heck, I’d settle for one of those guys. :)

• HardHabits says:

@Chris: Habs can’t afford to play 6/49. Håkan Andersson played Texas Hold’em. Big difference.

• Chris says:

Hakan Andersson is a great scout. But he got 6/49 lucky. Nobody in their right mind saw Datsyuk or Zetterberg turning out as they did. If Andersson knew that they were that good, he would have scooped them up as early as possible.

• HardHabits says:

He picked more than Dats and Zets. He got Texas Hold’em Lucky drawing those two Aces on the river and the flop while he was already holding a pair. The Wings last Cup champion had 10 of their top 15 players drafted in house. 10 of 15!!!! That’s isn’t just luck. That’s poker face.

11. habs001 says:

Eller has many good parts about his game and for that reason he will not be sent to Hamilton but it probably would help him improve the scoring part of the game…right now he just does not look like he knows how the produce in the scoring areas of the ice…the problem for the habs is that beyond plecks we may not have a centre who even scores 10 goals…

• Caballero says:

I agree that Eller should probably hone his skills in Hamilton. It seemed to work for Pach. It would just be easier to learn the hard way if that makes any sense. Can’t rush this sort of thing, and I don’t have much faith in the current staff to help Eller or PK develop.

• Timo says:

He does have great parts to his game. Scoring isn’t one of them. I like Eller… I like him more than I did last year, but I still maintain we should have gotten more for Halak when he traded him. But what would one expect from brain dead management?

12. Bill says:

Wither Gomez? The team clearly doesn’t need him. He wouldn’t have made a difference in the losses, and he wasn’t needed in the wins. Eller gives better physicality, DD puts up more points, and Pleks is the go-to guy. Where does that leave him? 4th line?

This is a guy who started off in the NHL with a big bang. He’s a proud player with a solid career behind him who, amazingly, looks to be done at age 32. We all know about the salary. This can’t go on. Sadly, an AHL demotion looks to be the only possible move by next season at the latest. I feel for him, but no more so than I feel for most multi-millionaires.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• CanadienBoy says:

We did get two good playoff from him but that it ,he give all he had with jerseys ,him and Dury are very similar ,got to give credit to other,s small player like St-Louis

• Da Hema says:

“Two good playoffs” out of Gomez?

Gomez played like a lazy fool against Boston last playoff, his team-leading -6 during those seven games supplying the proof (and of course he led the team at -15 during the regular season, so at least he was consistent).

This year Gomez is on pace for a 13-point season. He is now a totally useless hockey player. The only question now is whether Geoff Molson is willing to pay out his contract playing in the AHL instead of bringing down the entire team by keeping him in the NHL. At least that would remove Gomez from the team and its salary cap.

The sooner the Canadiens deal with this Gomez problem, the better off the organisation will be.

• NCRhabsfan says:

Couldn’t agree more. In the modern NHL every so often you have to admit that you made a mistake. Gomez is a mistake. I doubt he was ever worth $7M, but if he was he certainly isn’t anymore. The day he signed that contract he must have smiled and thought “I fooled them”. Well, now the joke has turned on him. He is a 4th line NHL player at $1M but he’s a boat anchor at $7M. He prevents a team from getting the go-to guy that makes you great. He has to go, if only because he is a victim of his own good fortune/greed (your choice). He might have a future in the NHL, but his contract has killed that. There will be no “comeback”, he is what he is and it isn’t worth a $7M cap hit. There is NOTHING Gomez does that Eller doesn’t do as well for less than 1/7 the cost. Bye Scott, you’re a victim of your own success.

• HardHabits says:

Screw that. Nokia wins face-offs. Put Gomez on the wing or play him on D.

In Hamilton for all I care.

• Brinkley says:

Thanks Bill,

Could not have said it better myself.

13. Neutral says:

we have a pretty good team as is – a little tweaking up front -we need a good 20 goal scorer ( center-man ) for the 2nd line and a good 15 goal scorer ( left winger ) for the 3rd line this team would be hard to beat…..

14. HabFab says:

Four ’11 draft picks stay;

It would have been nice for Archambault to play this season with Couturier however appears not to be.

15. Chris says:

A tale of two towers…

Last season, I caught a couple of Kingston Frontenac games and absolutely coveted Taylor Doherty, a second round pick of the San Jose Sharks. Listed at 6’8″ (although I’ve been told that he’s closer to 6’5.5″ by kids who knew him in high school) and 230 pounds, the kid could skate. It’s rare that you find a 20 year old with that kind of bulk already who can also skate.

Meanwhile, the Guelph Storm this season have a 6’7″ 17 year old named Justin Auger. Great shot, decent stick-handling…but he had to be one of the worst skaters I’ve ever seen. To quote Shaquille O’Neal, his skating was horriawful. Terribad. You come up with an adjective that means bad and it will fit.

Nonetheless, I won’t be surprised to see some team draft him this summer and marvel about his great size and potential. :)

• HabFab says:

Chris, in regards to the attendance figures. If you hit the AVG column for the Away Games on the ESPN as per your suggestion. Check out what it does to the Home figures for the Canadiens.

• Bill J says:

Nothing ?

Am I missing something ?

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

• HabFab says:

I guess the joke is on me and probably the writer of that article. When I did it prior, it showed the home average as 17,000 some per game as per the figures quoted earlier in the article. Now of course, it is showing the correct figures.
          Who the F knows, not me for sure!
          Computers, automobiles and women…all beyond the understanding of mortal men!!

16. Hardhabits hits the nail on the head. We seem to trade away our prospects to plug immediate holes and find ourselves perenially chasing the middle of the pack. Can anyone name three stars that have been Canadians and no, CP is not a star just yet, maybe in three or so years. Nobodies perfect, but CP is sometimes a little too nonchalant. As for forwards, Cami is the flyer and gritt player, but he isn’t aces unfortunately. Pleks, good top tier, but not a 40 goal scorer making plays happen. PK, will be great if not squashed. What’s left today? Nuttin to get excited about.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• Bill says:

I dunno, if you’re not excited about Price, Subban, and Pacioretty, what can I say? They’re already really good and only getting better.

Pleks will always be underrated, BUT: five straight 20+ goal seasons, does power-play, penalty-kill … any team would want him, and I’m glad we do.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Trisomy 21 says:

Name the “stars” we traded away when they were a prospect then. Because Ribeiro isn’t a 40 goal scorer either.

My analysis of the Habs trades since Gainey took over as GM. I will only mention those trades that I feel are significant, in other words did the Habs win or lose IMO.

Bob Gainey:

March 2, 2004 – Balej + 2nd round pick to Rangers for Kovalev = WIN

June 26, 2004 – Garon + 3rd round pick to Kings for Bonk and Huet = WIN

July 30, 2005 – 2nd round pick + 3rd round pick to Rangers for 2nd Round pick (Guillaume Latendresse) in 2005 = LOSS (because Lats was rushed and Pouliot sucks)

March 8, 2006 – Theodore to Avalanche for Aebischer = LOSS (which doesn’t say much for Abby)

June 24, 2006 – 3rd round pick + 4th Round pick to Flyers for a 3rd Round pick (Ryan White) in 2006 = WIN

September 30, 2006 – Mike Ribeiro + 6th round pick to Stars for Niinimaa and a 5th round pick (Andrew Conboy) = LOSS

February 25, 2007 – Rivet + 5th round pick to Sharks for Gorges and a 1st round pick (Max Pacioretty) in 2007 = HUGE WIN

February 26, 2008 – Huet to Capitals for 2nd round pick = SLIGHT WIN (Hard to guage this one, Huet was better on the Habs than the reality suggests, but Price could have used the mentoring back-up although CP’s season was great his play-offs couldn’t match Biron’s, however the Habs eventually got Mathieu Schneider as a rental for the pick so I lean towards slight WIN)

June 20, 2008 – 1st round pick + 2nd round pick to Flames for Tanguay + 5th round pick (Maxim Trunev) = LOSS (I hope the Habs never do this again)

September 12, 2008 – 2nd round pick to Blackhawks for Robert Lang = WIN

June 30, 2009 – Higgins, McDonagh and Valentenko to Rangers for Gomez, Pyatt and Busto = LOSS

November 23, 2009 – Guillaume Latendresse to Minnesota Wild for Benoit Pouliot = DOUBLE LOSS

December 1, 2009 – Chipchura to Ducks for 4th round pick (Magnus Nygren) in 2011 = WIN

Pierre Gauthier:

February 11, 2010 – 2nd round pick to Panthers for Dominic Moore. = I have mixed feelings about this one; I’ll say a WIN

March 2, 2010 – Matt D’Agostini to St. Louis Blues for Aaron Palushaj = LOSS

June 17, 2010 – Halak to Blues for Eller and Schultz = WIN (sorry to say and I loved Halak but this is a win)

June 25, 2010 – 1st round pick+ 2nd round pick to Coyotes for 1st round pick (Jarred Tinordi) + 4th Round pick = WIN

June 29, 2010 – Sergei Kostitsyn + future considerations to Predators for Dan Ellis rights, Dustin Boyd and future considerations = LOSS

November 11, 2010 – O’Byrne to Avalanche for Bournival = WIN for Colorado (I believe it will be a win for Montreal but I think the Habs would have looked good with OB and McD on the back end)

December 28, 2010 – 2nd round pick + 5th round pick to Islanders for James Wisniewski. (2nd round pick was NHL compensation for 1st round pick David Fischer not being signed) = short term WIN but a bitter-sweet and long term LOSS because Wiz wasn’t resigned.

July 7, 2011 – Ryan Russell traded to Columbus Blue Jackets for Mike Blunden = WIN

October 23, 2011 – Trotter + 7th round pick to Coyotes for Nokelainen and Stafford = WIN

So IMO the Habs have done some good moves.

My criticisms are these:

D’Agostini is no big loss but Palushaj is no real gain and looks like he’ll never make it. But Dags along with Grabovski, SergeiK and McDonagh (even Latendresse who IMO was rushed) were good picks the Habs let slip away. The Habs squandered a 1st pick and 3 2nds on rentals who never resigned. This is blatant mishandling of assets IMO. By contrast they traded Rivet for a pick which at the time seemed like a bad move but now looks tremendous.

My conclusion is that if the Habs are to rise to the top from the middle without the benefit of tanking they cannot afford to make as many errors of judgement as they do on the trade and draft front. I don’t expect them to be perfect but have a 50/50 average is not going to cut it. Rarely landing an elite forward prospect is not helping either (I say rarely because I have high hopes for Pacioretty).

IMO the Habs should increase the types of moves that brought in Pax if they are to do the ones that brought in the Wiz, Tanguay and Lang.

• Bill J says:

” July 3, 2008 – Grabovski to Maple Leafs for Greg Pateryn + 2nd round pick = LOSS

September 12, 2008 – 2nd round pick to Blackhawks for Robert Lang = WIN”

These two are related, yet you call the first one a loss…. Pateryn is a prospect… Not yet a loss…

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

• HabFab says:

HH – some would argue that the Grabovski trade resulted in Lang and Pateryn as the Toronto 2nd round pick was rolled over for Lang from Chicago.

• HardHabits says:

To Bill and HF: I accept that argument as very valid. However Grabs is playing. Where is Lang? Short term gain versus long term pain is what I am getting at. Lang, Wiz, Schneider and Tanguay all boosted the team short term but there were no Cups for any of those moves, instead young prospects and potential picks were frittered away.

Like I said, if those moves occur then just give me more of the Rivet for Pacioretty plays to. Pateryn isn’t high on the Habs prospect list either.

• Bill J says:

I pretty much agree with your opinion on all the other trades…. But, knowing who was drafted by the other teams would paint a clearer picture.

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

• HardHabits says:

The post is long enough as it stands. I had to cut out much info to save space.

As mentioned, you and HF bring up a valid point and I appreciate that you both connected the dots where I failed to. It could be said the two nullify each other but Grabs is playing, and well at that, while Lang is retired.

• twocents says:

So, have you given the baiting”Habsologist” posts a rest until the next loss?

It’s Habologist.

I understand why people say I flip-flop or am bi-polar. I don’t try to argue that good is bad or vice versa. I call them like I see them.

• twocents says:

Are you suggesting other people don’t call them like we see them?

My point in posting what I just did, is to bring light to the fact that baiting posts, that say nothing of substance, are less than conducive to actual, fruitful debate and discussion; which you seem to like when you have something to say, but less so when someone differs from your view.

• HardHabits says:

I forget the context. Can you direct me to the comment and I will provide you with a more erudite response.

• twocents says:

I’m not going to bother wading through pages to find the posts, but it basically amounts to me making some vaguely optimistic posts during the depths of the losing streak and you replying with nothing more than “Habologist”.

Not much really, just counter-productive and quite honestly annoying. Which is kind of the point of baiting.

• HardHabits says:

Please accept my Habologies for not wanting to wade through pages pf posts either but my recollection was that your optimism wasn’t firmly rooted in reality as is the case with most people here who pick the Habs to win the Cup this year.

There is after the last two games only a glimmer of a reason to be optimistic and only because the style of play has been a 180 degree turn from what we saw prior. If you were optimistic back then you were clearly deluded.

If the team continued playing the 0-1-4 and the rope a dope crap like before believe me the Habs would still be in the cellar. As it stands the Habs look like they might just make the play-offs again.

That, after years of just making the play-offs is no cause for optimism.

As well, your comment was while the Habs were sucking and before the Habs started playing a more robust game, it was before the Habs played Nokia, Blunden and Darche as a 4th line instead of Weber, Palushaj and whoever, it was before Ladouceur was behind the bench, it was before somebody upstairs or something inside Martin’s head clicked to suggest that an aggressive 2 man forecheck was better then hanging back and missing defensive assignments.

Your comment, which I forget, wouldn’t have drawn me to label you an Habologist if it had substance or meaning. If I want cheer leading I prefer to see a young woman in tight clothing doing it.

Get the comment. And we’ll talk. You were probably sounding like Habsrule1 at the time.

• twocents says:

I feel pretty sure that many who have been around here for a while would not categorize my as a cheerleader.

I can’t help you if you couldn’t see encouraging signs in the play of several players before games were being won, but I could. Cole, Eller, DD, Max, Diaz, Pleks, even Yemelin gave me plenty of reason to think once the team’s confidence turned, and others of whom more was expected came around a bit, things would look very different. Several of those loses were hardly rope-a-dope. There were several loses where they put some real offensive pressure for some sustained periods, but were not scoring enough(except Colorado) and defensive mistakes killed them. Just because you couldn’t see it, doesn’t make my point dismissible.

As for your broad generalizations, I dare you to find a post where I predict a Cup win this year.

This is a good team, one that will make the playoffs. Once there, who knows, that’s how the playoffs go. But, a front runner or a serious contender, no. But this team will get better during the year.

• HardHabits says:

Those encouraging signs were tempered in my view by the perception that they had over-achieved the last two years largely on the back of needed and almost immaculate goal tending. I saw a team that was peripheral in the offensive zone and penetrable in the defensive one. Add to that Martin was only able to skate 3 lines. I saw no signs of hope and at the time the ship looked like it was sinking fast.

They’ve managed to address one of my major concerns in putting together a 4th line of substance (we’ll see how they pan out after a few games) and compensated for other concerns by tightening up (which has still been supported by above average goal tending… again) and have completely surprised me by doing something I thought I’d never see them do and that is send in two forwards in to attack and press because before it was dump and change.

It’s only two games. You can see that my positive posts only mention what is happening. I am loathe to prognosticate because I believe the team needs to tweak further to contend. They still have many more wins until they can get home ice advantage for the play-offs and only a few more losses to send the season into a tail spin.

If the Habs tank so be it. If they make the play-offs even better but I’d prefer a top 10 finish that was convincing showing promise of an even higher level to be attained in the near future.

However, if they stagnate at 15th for the next 20 years and make the play-offs each and every one of them but don’t win the Cup in that span I wont suspect I’ll be impressed.

And you are right, you rarely if ever sound like a cheerleader.

• twocents says:

Thanks.

But, I’ll add you will prognosticate when it’s a negative view, you’re just tight with the optimism. ;o)

• Chris says:

Any trade where Higgins is going away from Montreal is a loss.

So Mr. Gauthier, undo this horrible wrong and bring me back my Higgins! ;)

• The Dude says:

We traded size in Lats and OB and got one sized athlete in return ‘Blunden “. Add the lil stars like Gomez down to DD and you see a pattern of bad drafting from the get go for a NHL Team.And that’s my problem with Management…their ego’s get in the way of the reality of the game which is not the job! Boston won last year cause they were capable of playing any style and even now the same can’t be said for LES CANADIENS….

• otter649 says:

Theodore was a salary dump as Huet took over the
      goaltending duties….

• Curtis O Habs says:

The Habs were not dealing from a position of strength in the Grabovsky, Kostisyn and Theodore trades. Those players had to go for one reason or another and the other teams knew it. It is hard to win those trades.

• CanadienBoy says:

Good work my friend ,i guess the biggest lost was not to resign players during the season for cheaper like the WiZ ,Moore and…nothing to show for the lost pick

18. ProHabs says:

Someone earlier today asked what would it take to get Shea Weber to the Habs. Any combination of AK+ Y. Weber+draft picks would never be enough.

What would be enough is PK Subban. Would you trade PK for S. Weber. I think I would. Imagine Weber playing 28 minutes a game on the Habs blueline. He is only 26 years old and is 6ft4, 235 pounds. If the Habs really want to change the makeup of the team (to have more size and strengh) , this would be a start. Would love to see S. Weber on the Habs blueline against the Bruins for the next 10 years.

19. db says:

There are rumours a swirling in Calgary attached to Bourque (and others..). Realistically, who would it take from our roster?

20. 1010 says:

I must admit I’m surprised by the attendance numbers. I thought they weren’t packing the place but seeing the actual statistics really brings it home.
    Really like the fact that the Molsons’ now know that they can’t take the people forking out their hard earned dollars for granted.
    Even if part of the reason may be the economic downturn, I like the overall message.
    Nothing can be taken for granted. Put out a good product or suffer the consequences.
    (Okay, now I read further down, who the he !! comes up with these numbers?)

GO HABS…