Multimedia from the day Gauthier, Gainey walked the plank

Molson

Geoff Molson met the media at the Canadiens Brossard training complex on Thursday morning.
He had thanked Pierre Gauthier and Bob Gainey for their nine years of service to the club and hired former Canadiens general manager Serge Savard as a consultant in the process of finding a new GM.
The owner said there was no timetable for hiring a new executive.
And while fluency in French is highly desirable, Molson said, he did not indicate language would be a deal-breaker issue in hiring “the best man possible”.

AUDIO of Geoff Molson press conference

1. boing007 says:

I sincerely suggest to all of you who have tried to watch the RDS broadcasts and had difficulty understanding the play by play to press the mute button and read the closed captions. You will then familiarize yourselves with many key phrases and words, many of which are often repeated. Keep a notepad beside you to jot down difficult words. Find a bilingual dictionary (or glossary) of hockey terms on the internet.

Richard R

2. Habitant in Surrey says:

…990 was quite interesting …though I missed a lot when My older daughter gave Me an ill-timed phone-call from Connecticut :) …Serge Savard, Chris Nilan, Pierre McGuire, Pierre LeBrun
    …lots of interesting conversation
    …so many options out there
    …everything mostly speculation, …but, the clearest consensus, to Me, was that Gomer and Kaberle must be off Our Team …a solution to ‘what’ to do with those contracts one of the on-ice priorities

_________________________________________________________
    HIS’ Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song: Morrissey ‘There is a light that never goes out’ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjObvIQtsLk&feature=related

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

3. Hobie Hansen says:

I could be mistaken but the tone of Savard’s comments on the Team 990 were that the next GM should be enriched with Habs’ tradition and possibly meaning he should be an ex player like himself.

I don’t agree with that at all if I understood him correctly.

I think the new GM should be completely fresh and have little history with the team.

It’s 2012 not 1986 and it’s almost 20 years past 1993. This team has zero connection with those days anymore and bringing back people from that era isn’t going to bring us back to those days either.

Let’s forget about all the history and tradition and build a damn hockey club built for winning in today’s game.

We need a methodical and hard nosed GM that will block out the bogus controversies that are produced from the fans and media that can stir up firestorms and cause the team to fall off the tracks.

We need to start fresh.

4. Stev.R says:

Every hab fan is so happy today. And their joy will last until we hire somebody, then, immediately, everyone will be pissed again.

5. habsfan0 says:

Habs get rid of Gauthier.

Conservatives get rid of penny.

All in all, not a bad day!

6. theflower says:

A lot of hockey people think McGuire is the right guy, he is a master communicator and that is so key in this organisation after having the mind controlling Goat in charge of the boat. I prefer him to Brisebois as he does not have that master communication skill at all. I hope the move for McGuire comes as he is well deserved of this opportunity. He understands talent, players, media and all sides that Molson himself says are key qualities in the next GM. Go PM! You the man for the job!

• CanadienBoy says:

Marc Bergevin will be the next GM ex player with assistant GM experience with Chicago and Bowman junior

• ZepFan2 says:

“A lot of hockey people think McGuire is the right guy”

Then why haven’t any of these “hockey people” hired him?

———————————————————————-
      “You cannot petition the lord with prayer!” – James Douglas Morrison

The Soft Parade

• habbernack says:

This guy said he would trade for Vinny. SCARY. 10 mil a year cap hit

ability is what you’re capable of doing.
        attitude determines how you do it

• Chris says:

McGuire has to prove that his having spent over a decade as a broadcaster has improved his communication skills, because his tenure as a coach in Hartford ended with a player mutiny and accusations from players and executives around that team suggesting that he was absolutely clueless about how to act professionally in that particular role.

A general manager obviously needs a different skillset than a head coach and perhaps he could do it, but anybody that hires McGuire is rolling the dice that his expansive hockey knowledge is real and not the product of having a lot of knowledgeable people doing his research for him.

• kempie says:

It will take a lot more than his encyclopedic knowledge of useless hockey minutiae and a headset to make him qualified to be our GM. And yes, the reports that came out of Hartford portrayed his days as HC there as nothing less than an epic train wreck.

• GrimJim says:

Here’s my problem with McGuire. Up until last summer McG was a regular guest on the sports radio here in Calgary. Tuesdays and Thursdays he would do a spot in the morning and a second one in the afternoon. The morning guy grew up in To and hated the habs; the afternoon guy was more balanced and reasonable. When Habs issues would come up, in the morning I would listen to McG totally roast the habs (“terrible trade” or “Price is finished in Mtl and will never be accepted again” ) and then that afternoon I would hear a more moderate opinion (“X can work in Mtl if he does this but that’s a lot of salary to take in” or “Price needs to get his confidence back”). In the SAME F-ING DAY I would hear two substantially different opinion out of the guy. How does this guy inspire confidence when he goes on record talking out of both sides of his mouth?
      My other problem with McGuire is IMO he seems way too likely to make rash decisions based on short-term stimulus, which according to all my reading is the worst possible way to run any sports organization. Look at his opinion of Price: (1) shouldn’t have drafted him they had lots of depth at goalie at the time (2) Price was a “monster” at WJC and CAlder Cup that year (3) Price would never bounce back in Mtl after 2010 – I heard him say that on two separate occasions (4) Price is a monster again in 2011. And not once did I ever hear him say he was hasty or wrong or misinformed about his previous opinions. He seems emotional in the moment and prone to (at the very least) irrational statements. Maybe its an act for the media, but couple that with the Hartford article about his short head coaching tenure in Hartford and the problems there and I have really serious doubts about his ability to function in the extremely intense pressure in MTl.

• Chris says:

Couldn’t agree more. His two-facedness when it comes to hockey issues has always eliminated him from being taken seriously in my books.

• D Mex says:

In my view, hiring Pierre McGuire would be a huge gaff. I watch the man perform, and the word ” buffoon ” comes to mind every single time.
          My take is that most cartoon characters possess more credibility than Pierre McGuire does.

Truth be told, tho, I think the chances of him being the next GM in Montreal are somewhere between slim and none : there’s too much at stake at this particular point in time, and team ownership seems determined to get it right this time.

ALWAYS Habs -
          D Mex

• HardHabits says:

Pierre McGuire will never work for the Habs in any capacity ever.

• Cal says:

Sorry, but I have to laugh at all the McGuire fanboys. Just too funny that an egghead with tv and radio overexposure suddenly is a “credible” candidate. Too bleeping funny.

7. Propwash says:

McGuire has a nice cushy job on TV, and he can stay there for all I care. He says all the right things on camera in evaluating things, but actually running a team, I don’t think so.

He does exactly what we do on HIO, except in front of a camera.

• Clay says:

McGuire thought Komisarik made Markov look good…he’s clueless.

__________________________
      ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

8. blu_blanc_rouge says:

This is what I tweeted to Geoff Molson on January 20th:

@BigZee1222: @GMolsonCHC Mr Molson please bring in Serge Savard as the one to choose the next General Manager… He is intelligent, respected and classy.

I guess he listened

9. homerbowen says:

Bring in Lou Lamerillo as our new GM, he is available and who is better that would come to Montreal?

10. Stev.R says:

Savard says he wants the team to be back in the same direction as 15 years ago. Um… 15 years ago we missed the playoffs several years in a row and had one good player in Koivu

11. habsfan0 says:

At a game at the ACC,fans started chanting:”Fire Wilson!”
    Shortly thereafter, Ron Wilson was axed.
    At a recent game at the Bell Centre,fans started chanting:”Fire Gauthier!”
    Shortly thereafter,Gauthier deepsixed.

I don’t think you have to be Lt. Columbo to realize..there may be a connection.

12. Hobie Hansen says:

Melnick is replaying the clip of Scotty Bowman putting the suggestion forward that Pierre McGuire should be the next GM of the Habs.

Bowman says McGuire isn’t a media guy he’s a hockey guy.

This was played right after McGuire described every quality of every other potential GM to a tee. McGuire is a brilliant hockey guy.

• EricInStL says:

I want McGuire but some people are jealous of him and cannot see clear.

If it’s good enough for Bowman it’s good enough for me.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but it is funny that some on here think their opinion is correct over Ex NHL executives in the media or current NHL executives, players etc…

• EricInStL says:

I want passion, pride and determination. McGuire has that in spades and WANTS MORE THAN ANYTHING the job.

He’ll surround himself with the right people.

Patrick Roy is heading for Quebec as soon as they land the Coyotes.

• Cal says:

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighhhhhhhhhhhhht!
            (hyper-sarcasm font)
            MCguire’s did nothing but open bench doors with the Pens and was a terrible coach. He’s been shining up the cue ball on tv for 15 years. He is not, I repeat, not, a hockey guy. Bowman was throwing him a bone.

• Ron says:

McGuire does come off as a know it all at times and that I think is his tv persona. He does know the players of the league and junior ranks. He just might be ok and as you say can be surrounded by good assistants. Not sure on how well he can work with the CBA but in many interviews he does have knowledge.

• Jim Edson says:

Nothing to do with jealousy just huge suspicion of someone whose “expertise” come by way of a teleprompter.

Media talking head who no other NHL club has seen qualified to hire in the past 20 odd years.

———————————————————————-
        What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

They tell him what they want done and he works to make it happen through his subordinates while making sure that individual franchises play by the rules.

******** Translated if you haven’t won the Stanley Cup in 40 years your NHL team is becoming irrelevant in a sports mad city long behind MLB, NFL and NBA teams, you just tell the commissioner(who you gave a new contract at 7 plus million per) to make it happen and the rules are bent sufficiently to action the command.

• Bripro says:

Melnick tried to manipulate McGuire into selling himself on the radio, which he refused to do. Pretty sharp cookie, that McGuire.

Here are my choices:

McGuire GM
      Carbo Head Coach
      Vinny Damph Assistant
      Kirk Muller Assistant (I know…tall order)

• HardHabits says:

McGuire will never work for the Habs in any capacity and Melnick is borderline retarded.

McGuire is neither brilliant nor a hockey guy. He’s a talking head and a sports broadcaster. He is no more qualified to be a GM of the Habs than Jack Edwards is to be GM of the Bruins.

13. Ron says:

Well now all the Habs faithfull can stand outside the Bell Centre and wait for the white smoke to come out the bellows. St Patrick must have the inside track.

14. matt jordan says:

Craig Button of TSN looks at the drafts under the watch of Pierre Gauthier.

15. Habs4Lyfe says:

Habs 4 Lyfe

Bring In Patrick Roy as the GM
    he will turn Carey Price into a warrior!
    Go Habs Go !

16. H.Upmann says:

Whoever is next GM, I hope they come in with an agreement with Molson that they are going to rectify the Gomez problem.

17. habstrinifan says:

Late to the Paaaarrrty… but Hooooooraaaayyyyy!!!!!

18. HabFanSince72 says:

Year — Savard’s #1 pick. — Who he missed out on.

1994 – Brad Brown – Dan Cloutier?
    1993 – Koivu – no one.
    1992 – David WIlkie – Grant Marshall
    1991 – Brent Bilodeau – Glen Murray
    1990 – Turner Stevenson – Keith Tkachuk
    1989 – Lindsay Vallis – Adam Foote
    1988 – Eric Charron – Tie Domi
    1987 – Andrew Cassels – no one
    1986 – Mark Pederson – Adam Graves
    1985 – Jose Charbonneau and Tom Chorske – Joe Nieuwendyk
    1984 – Shayne Corson – no one
    1983 – Alfie Turcotte – no one (also picked up Sergio Momesso and Claude Lemieux that year).

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• joeybarrie says:

Don’t forget Petr Svboda. 1984.

• EricInStL says:

1993, they missed out on Todd Bertuzzi, I say that was a miss…

I was there in 1993 at the Colisee, me my brother and my uncle and Alain Coté who was played for the Nordiques. My uncle used to practice with them way back when. Anyway, our pick comes, naturally everyone booos the Canadiens cuz we just won the cup. Me and my brother stand up, get our share of mange de la marde crisse de montrealais (eat sh!t f’en montrealer). So when the pick comes and it’s SAKU KOIVU, he wasn’t even in the 1st round possibilities, the NHL Draft book didn’t even have a picture of him. My uncle and Coté were laughing at us big time.

My brother says ”we drafted a midget” once he saw his height.

Anyway good times were had that day, and Saku turned out to be a very good player who had to shoulder more that he should have during his stay in Montreal.

• Chris says:

1984: You could certainly argue that Gary Roberts (12th) was a better player than Corson (8th) or Svoboda (5th).

1985: Derek King, Calle Johansson, Joe Nieuwendyk, Benoit Hogue

1986: Graves and one of my favourite players ever, Teppo Numminen

1987: That was an absolutely brilliant draft…unfortunately, the team gave up on Cassels and Leclair too early, and let Desjardins go as well.

1989: You’re being kind…there was also that Nicklas Lidstrom fellow. Of course, everybody passed on him twice. Mind-numbing.

1990: Tkachuk, as well as Martin Brodeur (but what were the odds given that they had Roy) and Bryan Smolinski.

1991 – Martin Rucinsky, Ray Whitney and Ziggy Palffy were right around there too. Ouch.

1992 – Boris Mironov too.

Generally, Savard did wel. But near the end, he started to draft heavily from the WHL (as so many Habs fans strongly endorse these days too…everything is cyclical) and the wheels fell off. Vallis, Stevenson, Bilodeau, Wilkie, Brown and Pederson…6 times out of 9 drafts the Habs went for big WHL boys and 6 times out of 6, those guys didn’t pan out (although Stevenson became a valuable role player for the Devils).

19. LafleurGuy says:

Can some posters ramp up the melodrama and post things that will get someone banned? Missed the action the other night!

“May you live in interesting times.”

20. Habitant in Surrey says:

…on Melnick, 990: …Pierre McGuire just confirmed ‘interested’ to be the Habs’ GM

_________________________________________________________

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• HabFanSince72 says:

On Habs I/O … HFS72 just confirmed ‘interested’ in losing 10-15 lbs.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Timo says:

Gee, thanks, I guess.

• ZepFan2 says:

F McGuire. Not another Pierre.

I’d prefer Pierre Poutine. At least he’s got the public’s ear. He also knows how to stir the pot.

Also, he could robo-call the other GMs on draft day.

———————————————————————-
      “You cannot petition the lord with prayer!” – James Douglas Morrison

The Soft Parade

• Jim Edson says:

File that under “useless information”.

———————————————————————-
      What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

• Cal says:

And you really think Savard cares about the twits on 990?

21. Bill says:

Well, I don’t think Gauthier had a lot of time to do this job. On the other hand, when Molson combines him with Gainey and says they have had nine years, I can accept that.

Molson owns the team and he’s never had a chance to make it his own by hiring his own front-office. He’s obviously entitled and this is as good a time as any.

I understand the timing. They need a new GM by May, I’d say, to try and take care of contracts and prep for the draft, so to hit the ground running now makes sense.

I just hope that he makes a good call with his new GM. I’d be happy with Bergevin, but I’m sure there are other good candidates. But he can’t afford to blow this.

I’m not wild about Savard being back. Talk about Back to the Future. It’s a totally different game – business-wise I mean – than it was when Savard was running the show. Hopefully he has a good grasp on the newer responsibilities a GM has now when he advises Molson.

He’d better not be the GM in waiting though …

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Timo says:

2 years is long enough time to completely eff things up. And it’s not like he had a great plan that would have Habs rebound.

I agree re Savard. Seriously, enough with the dinosaurs.

• Stev.R says:

I think the blame for this season was put too heavily onto PG’s shoulders as there were plenty of other reasons for this seasons lack of success. That said, sometimes things need to be shaken up. We have accumulated a bit too much dead weight and it’s time to trim the fat.

• Mattyleg says:

I doubt that Savard would want to be GM. It’s a different world, as you said, since his time.
      He just needs to help choose a good candidate, and I think he’ll be capable of that. Don’t forget, by hiring him, we don’t only have him, but all his contacts and sources as well, who will all help in the appointment process.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• shiram says:

How do you feel about him saying the new GM does not require experience, kind of like Savard did not have GMexperience when he was named GM?

RC : “Merci beaucoup.”

• Mattyleg says:

Ha!
          I feel… like I need a beer.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• shiram says:

He cites himself and Bobby Clarke has examples of past player enjoying GM success with no previous experience at the position.

RC : “Merci beaucoup.”

• HabFanSince72 says:

I agree with him. Experience is a big plus but it isn’t necessary.

Especially if by experience you mean having been a GM of a pro hockey team.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• shiram says:

I found it interesting, especially since alot on here made sure to point out experience was a key factor.
            But new guys sometimes bring new and interesting ideas and practice.

RC : “Merci beaucoup.”

• LafleurGuy says:

Paul Holmgren has had success.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• habsfan0 says:

Who will be at the draft lottery table on April 10 then? Molson?

I’d like to see le Baron there.

• habsfan0 says:

“I’m not wild about Savard being back. Talk about Back to the Future.”

So, are you equating Serge Savard with Doc Brown?

Or Marty McFly?

Definitely not Biff!

• Cal says:

He’s back as an advisor to Molson. Not GM. He has many business interests and being a GM, which he considers a part-time job, is not his thing anymore. He’s a personal friend of Molson and is a knowledgeable hockey guy. The ones here with short-term memory forget the last 2 Cups were under his watch.

22. Hobie Hansen says:

For those who care, McGuire is about to go on the air on the Team 990 or TSN radio Montreal…

23. Stev.R says:

Worse news for Gauthier. Not only does he need to get a new job, but he has to work for 9 years instead of 7

24. Hobie Hansen says:

Was listening to the Team 990 on the drive home and not 1 or 2 callers or just Melnick himself, every person on that radio station wants McGuire as the next GM.

I personally don’t think it will happen but it is a big change from this site. You mention McGuire’s name on here and the usual 5 posters lambaste you in 2.5 seconds.

I’d have to say from what I’ve heard, anywhere but on this site, the public in Montreal wants McGuire as GM of the Canadiens.

• joeybarrie says:

But does Serge Savard want McGuire as GM.

• Mattyleg says:

Uhhhh… the Anglophone public, perhaps, which constitutes a small minority.
      As I mentioned earlier today, people say what they see. If Yappo The Hockey Dog got as much TV-time as McGuire then there’d be a neck-and-neck race (opinions are still divided as to who is more savvy).
      I can bet you a trillion steamés that no Francophone would want McGuire as GM. Know why? Because they don’t watch TSN or NBC or APB (Annoying People Broadcasting), or wherever McGuire is. My bets are that they will be suggesting people from L’Antichambre, proving an equally blinkered view of who is capable of running a hockey organization.

McGuire. Gimme a break already.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Hobie Hansen says:

I agree that the organization might not want to deal with the outrage of the francophone public that would ensue if McGuire was hired.

And to say McGuire, give me a break already, shows how little you know.

He is clearly in the mix and was put there by people who know 1000x more about selecting a general manager than yourself. No offense.

• Mattyleg says:

No, don’t agree with me, because that’s not what I said.
          You don’t understand what I wrote.

I’m saying that Anglos see McGuire on TV all the time, so they think he’s a great candidate despite not having worked as a GM for a couple of decades.

You want evidence about how overexposure to TV can result in bad decisions? How many people do you know own a SlapChop?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Hobie Hansen says:

My friend, I will let you believe what you want. No further comments except it would be hilarious to see you eat crow and there’s a good chance of it.

• Mattyleg says:

Eat crow over what?
            The Habs hiring McGuire?
            So what if they do?
            It doesn’t change what I said about people being easily influenced by what they see on TV.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• tophab says:

roy for gm and coach. of the leafs

• Cal says:

That you, Vince? I want my bleeping money back!!!

• boing007 says:

Shticky is next.

Richard R

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…unusual for Me to listen to 990, but I am today
          …many of the call-in comments to hire McGuire are Francophone listeners

_________________________________________________________

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• Mattyleg says:

“He is clearly in the mix.” Says who?? The media?
          Please.
          The Media also said that Rick Nash was going to LA at the trade deadline, and because they talked about it so much, the Media claimed that LA would “have to be on his shortlist now!”

The media have a very overblown opinion of their impact on hockey decisions.

As do you, by the tone of your last comment.
          No offense.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Hobie Hansen says:

You realize that half the media is made of Ex GMs, coaches and players who mingle with NHL executives on a regular basis right?

• Ozmodiar says:

Exactly. People short list candidates to who they see on TV.

25. FanCritic says:

Molson Gave a good speech, lets see how sincere he is.