Multimedia from Monday practice

Pleks

Josh Gorges talks about his new contract.
Carey Price talks about Josh Gorges.
Tomas Plekanec talks about his practice scrap with P.K. Subban.

Pierrre Gauthier talks about the state of his hockey team

AUDIO: Pierre Gauthier

1. slapshot777 says:

@ Habsolutely

I know that we’re paying the contract but that wasn’t my point. My point was that by you or me or anyone else complaining doesn’t change a damn thing.

Do you think by complaining PG take into consideration what he was going to offer Gorges.

There is a few contracts on this team I don’t like but what are you going to do about it. I can gripe all day long, but like I said there is not damn thing we can do about it.

By the way who is our capoligist for this team since Julien Brisebois left?

2. Mavid says:

test

second place is just the first loser

3. SmartDog says:

I just wanna say, I’m glad we signed Georges, and I hope Placanik and PJ work things out. Go Habbs!

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

4. HabFab says:

Hello, is there any positive news in Habbieville?
    No, okay… adios!

5. Rad says:

Jostling with a teammate in practice is misguided focus and very immature. I think Subban needs to stop reading his press clippings and get back to the serious business of playing winning hockey. Due to a paucity of great players in Montreal, Subban was anointed a star much too soon. The kid has a long way to go before he proves that he is worthy of this legendary team. Some of these young kids just don’t understand the respect, honor, and tradition that goes with being a Montreal Canadien.

• Danno says:

I wouldn’t lay all the blame on Subban – although he is not completely innocent either I’m sure. Did it occur to you that maybe some of the veterans have an attitude of false entitlement and have basically been on strike since the season began? Maybe some of these veterans who demand respect should look in the mirror before they put down the younger players who are maybe not perfect but are at least trying in their own way to make a positive contribution. All I’m saying is respect is a two-way street and the sooner everyone on the team accepts that the better off we’ll be.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

6. slapshot777 says:

I don’t know we gripe over the contracts anyway. We all know that whatever player get via free agency we have to overpay.

So if Pleks receiving 5.5 mil is too much for anybody what is his actual worth to you guys.

Whatever you think he is worth you can add another million per season to make up the difference in the tax structure.

So the contract issue for me is a non issue. As for the Gomez contract we didn’t give him that contract so griping over that is also irrelevant.

• Habsolutely says:

who cares if we gave didn’t give Gomez the contract? We are the ones who are paying him the contract and we are the ones whos capspace his contract kills.

• HabsfanoftheHabs says:

Plek’s contract is about right to me. The tax issue is oft forgotten on these boards – good point. I’d like to see Gorges contract followed by a Price long term deal, then have someone (hopefully not PG) deal with a few of the bad contracts as the season comes to an end or is over.

7. slapshot777 says:

@ Habsfan

I may be misreading but the way you have it put looks like we traded both McDonagh and Gaborik for Gomez and Pyatt.

If I remember correctly Gaborik never played for the Habs.

• GrimJim says:

I suspect the argument is that trading Gomez gave the rangers the cap space to get Gaborik, hence the equation
      -gomez -pyatt = +McDonagh +Gaborik

• ont fan says:

Why is everybody in love with Mcdonagh ….nice skater..not very physical..we have those guys on our team now

• Rad says:

Very solid positional defenseman who rarely makes a mistake. Excellent backwards and lateral skater, is not a hitter like Emelin, but is strong as an ox at 6’1″, 222 lbs. The year he was drafted, he had one of the highest scores in the history of Combines strength testing. When we drafted him at #10 in the 1st Round, management said they had him rated much higher.

8. gmd says:

Horrible reffing in the last few minutes of the winter classic. I guess Bettman really wanted the Flyers to win it.

9. alfieturcotte says:

Pleks is a good n#2 center, that’s all. He is simply not the offensive threat that a n#1 should be, yet judging by his salary you would expect him to be a n#1. He has a long contract, his $5mm/yr is too high, and as opposed to the other non tradable players on the team (Gomez, Kaberle, etc), he will at least get something decent and young in return. Canadiens are sellers, time to rebuild with high draft picks or young future core players.

• HabsfanoftheHabs says:

Now we’re chirping Plek’s contract??, jesus. Dude deserves the money he’s getting. Next thing I suppose you’ll be suggesting we should dump Gorges contract….

• HabFanSince72 says:

#1 centres get $6-7M on the UFA market. Sedin. Thornton. Brad Richards. Lecavalier. Briere. Etc …

So Plekanec at $5M is getting what a #2 centre UFA usually gets (Kessler, Bergeron, etc ….)

He is only the #1 ’cause our $7M centre is under-performing.

• solomio says:

So you guys are supporting the trading of our #2 center?

“I figure PG has one or 2 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

• HabsfanoftheHabs says:

Wouldn’t be my first choice to move. I’d like to keep him and focus on managing a few other contracts first.

Pleks is a very very good # 2 center

• alfieturcotte says:

Pleks is a good n#2, just good, not great. There are plenty of better n#2 out there. Problem is, his salary assumes him to be a n#1, which he never could be. Not even close to a n#1. Frankly, I would trade him straight up for Ryan Mcdonough.

10. The Cat says:

Do the players always have to be available to the media after practice? I dont want to quote Allan Iverson but “We talkin’ about practice man!”

• GrimJim says:

Stubbs told me at the Summit that the coach is always available after practice upstairs in the briefing room, then the reporters go down to the dressing room where either three or four players are available or the players are available for about 15-20 minutes which is enough time to interview three or four players (I can’t remember which).

11. Chris Higgins says:

It was nice to see two real hockey teams play this afternoon. What a treat!

12. HabFanSince72 says:

Ryan McDonaugh was on the ice in the last min.

What a horrible trade.

13. montreal ace says:

Listened to the Gorges interview, and its quite clear Molson played a large part in the contract and its timing. PG if he has any IOU that he can collect from other GMs, I suggest he do so, this season is the last I believe for him, unless he pulls a rabbit from a hat. PK and Plex fighting, big deal, practice is a great place to send a personal message. Last thing about the Gorges contract, I see his play as improving, he is still getting better and the money reflects that.

14. wild flower says:

Regarding the debate over who was in the wrong: Plekanec versus Subban. Who do you think has the coach’s respect? I doubt it is the guy he sent to the press box in Winnipeg?

15. habs-fan-84 says:

It’s GORGES NOT Georges!

I can’t believe how many time’s I see his name spelled incorrectly (on this site especially – sad). Sorry, but this drive’s me nuts. How can our own fans not spell our own players’ names correctly; it’s almost as bad as Cherry deliberately mis-pronouncing names.

If you’re not sure how to spell a players name (our own players’ names in particular), spend 2 seconds and google their name. Please.

My rant is done, thank you.

16. price365 says:

worst 2 teams in the eastern conference Habs & Carolina…best 2 teams in the eastern conference… Boston & NYR

Not for long !

17. vivsterjuve88 says:

So as I sat yesterday frustrated at what our team seems to have become (i honestly thought we’d be pretty solid going into the year), the length of Gorges’ new contract hit me as a wave of relief, thinking of what our team realistically could be in 1.5 yrs, ie heading into the 2013/14 year. Lots of assumptions but this looks decent to me:

—– – Plekanec – Cole
    Pacioretty – Eller – Kostitsyn
    Gallagher – Bournival – Leblanc
    Moen – Nokelainen – White

Gorges – Subban
    Diaz – Bealieu
    Emelin – Tinordi

Price
    —–

ALOT of the names on this roster list will be much better considering the age of it. I’ve assumed that we find a way to offload Gomez’s contract, either with the lower cap hit or a non-penalized buyout at years end, maybe even a long-term AHL stint. I assume markov is inured forever, on LTIR, and irrelevant. If he isn’t that only makes our D better. I assume we offload cammalleri, gionta, gill, desharnais, weber, campoli and kaberle at the deadline for any random assortment of crappy picks and maybe propects, and we just straight up let budaj walk at the end of his contract.

After all of that we have a great amount of cap-space which we can spend in free-agency getting a somewhat respectable backup (the kind that can hold up if price goes down for a few weeks) and a solid winger to fill that empty spot. We could even trade for these players using our newly-acquired picks and prospects. If we’re really lucky that winger spot could even fill in with “Yakupov”.

Most importantly if definitely leaves us the cap space to keep guys like price, subban, AK, and eller long-term as well. We could probably use more star power but I think that could happen (a frustrated Rick Nash/Bobby Ryan, surplus Van Riemsdyk, lazy Alexander Semin, Parise from cash-strapped NJD). When we’ve got cap space and picks kicking around and our team is so young it doesn’t need all the draft potential, there’s a good chance we can find some trading partners for a team shifting towards rebuild mode. I’d also like a grittier center for the 4th line compared to nokelainen (Chris Thorburn, Anthony Stewart, Brandon Prust type), but those aren’t too expensive, we could find one.

Now does anyone have a link to the website to apply for the Habs GM position?

18. habstrinifan says:

Just watched the entire PG clip on TSN.

Listen Mr. Molson! I am just a dumb fan. I am 100% unqualified to give you advice. So this is not advice.

You dont have to FIRE anyone! No one has to be traded. You dont have to work a miracle.

Al I ask is you do one simple thing tonight. Go talk to Randy Cunneyworth. Gently persuade him that you want to give him some help. Not so the team becomes a jugernaut. Not so that all the language issues go away. Not so that the question of his tenure is decided.

Just so that he gets a major hand in dealing with the OBVIOUS disarray. An experienced, humble, calm, prestigious, successful hand. If only fo a month or so. I am sure Mr Cuneyworth (as PG would say) willl accept. It does his career prospects no good to have this team totally blow up under his ‘interim leadership’.

Then Mr. Molsnon pick up the phone and call Mr. Larry Robinson. Talk with him. Be honest about the team etc. Dont beg.. Mr. Robinson wont respect you begging. But touch every string of his HABS heart… he will say yes.

Call me a foolish simple-minded idiot fan Mr. Molson. I dont care today. I feel like a lost boy today when I think about the team. I am honestly scared that things are too much for the people you have now.

They need some help. See what you can do!

• solomio says:

So Trini you want Larry Robinson as an assistant coach. ?
      We’re pretty much certain he does not want the pressure of a head coaching position in Montreal.

• Mark C says:

Pretty sure you meant to post that above, but Robinson stepped away from being the head coach of the Devil, which he is now an assistant for.

And your point is?

• Mark C says:

I think you’re confused, my original post was not to you.

However, my point is I doubt Robinson would quit on the Devils in mid season to take the same job in Montreal.

19. VancouverHab says:

I just listened to the PG interview, and I must disagree with those who said he was vague & deflecting. I can’t see how he could have been more specific without actually naming names. He said that too many vets injured and too many juniors to hold leads, and that there are individuals who are not 100% on message. That means that they are calling names out in the dressing room.

He also said that coaches & GM have to up their game as well. He sure seemed engaged to me and almost frantically determined to make things work.

Surely the Gorges signing is a deliberate message to stabilise and promote a favourable team view.

And why can’t Cunnyworth learn and use a few phrases in French: it is just not that hard. t would make 94% of the trouble disappear if he’d just take the time to learn a handful of words & phrases. If he doesn’t he doesn’t deserve the job in this market.

20. Mr. Biter says:

Did not get to watch the game new Years Eve but did see Canada win their game. As I have posted earlier about, if PK did a “Turtle” as it seems he did from what i have read, it all goes back to his fight with Marchand. He has been a former shadow of himself since then. If White is not coming back soon we have to pick up a Heavyweight. I was unsure of Emilin but his hitting is a thing of beauty as PK’s was last year but he will also not fight. it may not be the best solution but “Beef” is needed to protect our players who will not fight.
    Also regarding LL, I think he is playing very well and could stay with the Habs, but as stated above he plays way bigger than he is and right now someone will take him out with no retribution. Give him the rest of the year with the Dog’s, get bigger and hopefully we get some one who can protect our skill players.

Mr. Biter

• powdered toastmann says:

I share your concern re LL as a valid one. At this point in time he is at some risk given as you say his style of play, the fact that he is yet to fill out and mature as an NHL player, and there is no-one close to fitting the description of a deterrent (on a line he may play on or on the team as a whole). If the season is a wash (which I believe it is), you’re right, he would benefit with some more time back in Hamilton in more ways than one.

• GHT120 says:

One heavyweight will do little. Even a fourth line of heavyweights will do little as they can only address things when they are on the ice. “Tough” teams have size and at least some toughness up and down the lineup.

• powdered toastmann says:

Exactly. Also, and while we’re discussing the term “toughness” hopefully (either naturally, or through instruction from the coaching staff) we should include the term “effective” with the term toughness.

This means having another “skill” whether as a checker, playmaker, scorer as a forward and sound as a defenceman.

It should mean being disciplined..i.e. knowing when it is appropriate to display the aggressive and/or the pugilistic toughness as well as when to send a message and what kind of a message.

It means having a good work ethic and not necessarily always looking to intimidate. (but this trait can be invoked if necessary).

Being a team player and backing each other up especially when it means looking after the smaller guys/skill guys/or any teammate in trouble etc.

Too many on this site point their finger at Moen or White. From what I’ve seen, these guys are character guys, and can be included in a group of effectively tough players. But, it is unfair to expect them to shoulder the whole team as typically any other NHL team will ice in the neighbourhood of 4-10 players in/above their category in terms of size and grit.

• Mr. Biter says:

When White comes back it will help but he is unfortunatly a “Mid weight” (not to diminish his desire but size) but he’s not here so now everyone knows PK gonna “Turtle” and his effectivness is going to be deminished. And I realize that the Heavyweight can’t be on the ice all the time but with our previous enforcers when they hit the ice someone paid for their previous aggression.

Mr. Biter

21. remi_10069 says:

Might just get Pleks fired up or at least get him on someone’s radar for a deal.

pipes

• solomio says:

Pleks is one of the Habs best why you would even consider trading him?

• GHT120 says:

Habs won’t get the players they need for Weber and Campoli. I am not hot to trade Pleks, but could understand that to get, for example, the big #1 or scoring winger the habs might have to include someone like Pleks.

• CanadienBoy says:

Both Plek and Georges are the vets with longer contract to go with the young guns Price ,PK,Pac ,Eller ,AK , White,DD and younger coming up LL ,Emelin , Diaz and the rest will be interchangeable parts .Pleck over use by Martin is not going anywheres

• vivsterjuve88 says:

pleks makes 5 mill a year to play in every single situation, puts up the most points on our team annually, is still young enough to have a lot of good years to go, and unlike the rest of our team, he’s almost never injured. We need to start trading a lot of pieces of our team away (most in fact) but definitely not plekanec. He and gorges are the reason our penalty kill is a thing of pride year in and year out.

22. VancouverHab says:

On the P.K. v. Pleks fight, I think it is a good chance for many H-I/O commentors to see themselves in the mirror.

Last season P.K. was the golden boy here and two thirds wrote like he was J.C. Trembley reincarnate, and they damned and howled at anyone who raised cautionary notes.

I remember this because my man Gomez was pilloried and spat upon for a rumoured wigging he gave Subban in the locker room, telling him (it was said) to tone down the individual excess and simplify for the good of the team.

Well as we now know, P.K. is a work-in-progress: massive potential for him, but he hurts the team right now for the very reasons cautioned agains him last year by the minority of us.

That’s how I see it…..

23. habsnyc says:

Gorges is under contract for six years. He should have waited at least half that time before breaking up the fight. Either that or he should have joined in.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

24. HabsFanInTampa says:

My two cents:
    Signing Gorges was beneficial to this team. Great work ethic and solid defenceman. Vincent Lacavalier being traded to Montreal is not going to happen. He absolutely adores it here. Talk to ANY Lightning player and they all love to play here. The city, the coaching staff, management and the owner are second to none. Also, I know this is going to hurt many of you, but I’m just calling it as I see it. Home grown or Quebec born talent do NOT want to play in Montreal (see: Briere, et al). Those days are way long gone.

25. price365 says:

when you’re 5.5 games under .500 and the season almost half over I guess it’s time to fight even if it is amongst yourself.

26. mb says:

Hummm…really off topic, but I think someone hacked RDS twitter account:

RDSca RDS
    Fantasme et action Privé http://bainhom.com/fantasme-et-action-prive
    3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Same thing happened to Luc Gélinas a couple of days ago, as well.

Me thinks media should change passwords from time to time! Haha

Try to keep up mb

27. Sal says:

Just listened to Josh G interview. What a classy guy. He will always give the same effort, contact or not, the epitome of professionalism.

Sal from the Hammer

• solomio says:

I feel the amount is right though the term is a bit long. 4 years would have better suited.

28. habstrinifan says:

I just sense a BIG move. I have a feeling what’s it gonna be.

I hope I am wrong! But if not Holy COW!

29. Toe Blake says:

From TSN :No big punches landed, neither player was hurt, and both stayed on the ice as practice resumed.

Yep, that sounds like a Habs fight to me!

30. Laramy87 says:

Out of everything that is/has happened in the world of sports in the last 15 hours or so, the Pleks/Subban fight story is number one on TSN. They love to pick out everything negative that happens for the Habs. Then i look around and cannot find anything about Gorges contract, which was not even 24 hours ago.

Way to show your colours TSN

31. novahab says:

Vinnie’s dad wants him to play in Montreal and Vinnie did not say he wouldn’t play for the Habs . Not saying this would ever happen but PG needs something if he wants to keep hs job. If they lose Weds he could be gone. As far as RC is concern I bet any money that the Bruins would give him a job if he quits or is fired just to rub it in.

No way Habs lose to the Jets on Wednesday

• Mike D says:

I’m not necessarily saying you are wrong about Vinny’s dad wanting him to play in Montreal, but where are you getting that from?

- Honestly yours

32. Toe Blake says:

The is a story makes the rounds that the PK – Pleks thing carried into the showers and that they snapped towels at each other!

33. habstrinifan says:

From TSN article …

“The Montreal Canadiens’ whacky season got a little weirder Monday.”

Amen!!!! What a freakin joke! How did ALL the high paid high-rolling, presumably ADULT, people in the executive suites allow our GM to go in front of a microphone and issue the statement he did.

I mean all they had to do was review how Scotty Bowman said this should have and still could have been more professionally handlled. Geez it was even better to let it just die this late.

Amazing!!!!!!!!!!

34. Xkhann says:

I think you guys are like the square-root of media because you’re blowing this story WAYYY out of proportion! I haven’t seen any videos, nor have I been to practice, but I think this is the first sign of RC finally getting the intensity out of this team that’s been lacking all year long. Plekys not going anywhere, nor do I want him going anywhere. He’s still among the team leaders in points and is an elder statesman of the Montreal organization, so y’all better quiet down about moving him! Hey ya know what, since Halak-gate, I always believed that this team had to take 2 steps back in order to get 1 more big step ahead. We have very good pieces already in place, and there’s more coming up the pipeline. Why do fanatical and extremist French fans ultimately have the final say about this franchise? Is there any oppurtunity for the fans to take ownership of this franchise, or set-up some kind of board of governors where the fans have a say, like with some of the biggest soccer clubs in Europe? Would it make a difference…I don’t know. Maybe it wouldn’t, maybe it’d make things worse, but hey, it’s an idea. Back to what we do have here in reality, Price is a franchise goalie, Halak wasn’t, so let’s move on from that. Gio and Cammy likely chose Montreal because Gomez first arrived, so to get rid of one will likely mean the other two will follow. This team is missing some very major pieces right now and the guys who are playing their asses off night in, night out have very limited experience, so cut them some slack by not losing all hope. I have the utmost belief that Markov WILL return, and when he does, will gradually get back to his old self, so don’t expect blow-outs his first game back. I believe Gomez, tho not who he once used to be, is better on the ice 100% than out there at 60% trying to justify his price tag. Don’t blame him, blame the agent and the GM. Gorges should be the next captain of this team. The young guys out there are getting better and better (especially on D – Diaz and Emelin will be very good next year). Bottom line, let’s cut the expectations out for this year and solely focus on a re-build. Yes we are not that far out of a playoff spot (1 good 5 game winning streak and we’re back in) but let’s be optimistic and shoot for the top instead of settling for mediocre success to reap benefits of 1 round of playoffs. 2 steps back, 1 big step forward. Positive Vibes lead to Positive Times. Keep the intenstiy up boys and leave it all on the ice. If we can get the same grittiness and hard-working attributes that Cunney had when he played (and that I already see in much of these players) then I’d be content with the outcome of this season. Here’s to 2012!

• solomio says:

khann…sounds reasonable except for the don’t blame Gomez part. He is definitely to blame for his lousy play. Nobody else.

• HardHabits says:

You might want to try paragraph structure sometimes.

35. boonie says:

How would Cunneyworth be viewed outside Montreal if he were to quit?

• solomio says:

Quitting isn’t in RC’s vocabulary there bud.
      Plus he wants and needs the experience.

• boonie says:

Just wondering. PG sounded like a man in charge who plans to replace RC at year end. Why stick around? 40 games of NHL experience with a roster that may be gutted…

• Sal says:

RC has paid his dues. Other organisations would recognise that.

Sal from the Hammer

• boonie says:

Any chance he walks?

• solomio says:

None. Like I said. Its not in his genes.

• daveho29 says:

Agreed, I know his brother and definitely not in the genes. He will tough it out for the rest of the season.

• solomio says:

You have to pay your dues behind the bench as Head Coach of an NHL franchise. There may be exceptions but that is generally the rule.

36. ProHabs says:

Toronto placed Philippe Dupuis on waivers. He is from Laval, 5ft11 and 190 pounds.

He has 0 goals and 0 assists in 30 games for the Leafs this year. Only 16 penalty minutes so no toughness in him.

Very, very surprised Gauthier hasn’t jumped all over this guy yet.

37. Toe Blake says:

This just in: the NHL will soon announce the Molson Sucky Hockey Classic. The Canadiens will be playing the Blue Jackets at the O.

38. FlyingFrenchie says:

Thanks to the owner and upper management, this once proud franchise has turned into a sad joke.
    It may make dollars but it doesn’t make sense.

39. novahab says:

I smell a big trade coming because if PG is going to save his job, he needs to do something. The coaching move was a big flop in more than one way.I have a feeling he talking to Tampa and Pleks and Gionta may be involved for Vinne and a draft pick. Before you all start laughing that’s one big stong line Vinne with Cole and Patches. Just think of the heat that would be taken off if you bring back a french Canadian captain. Also if would ease the pressure on RC because the Media would have someone to talk to.

• habs-fan-84 says:

I believe Bettman blocked the Vinny trade. Briere, from what I recall snubbed Montreal.

• Mike D says:

You are absolutely correct, sir. Bettman blocked the trade due to the two tampa owners at the time disagreeing on it. Vinny has made it clear he doesn’t want to play in Montreal though.

Briere was offered the same contract by Monreal that Philly gave him, and he chose Philly. Snuberoo.

- Honestly yours

• habs-fan-84 says:

Thought that was the case.

Just curious, has Vinny actually come out and said specifically he doesn’t want to play in Mtl.? Curious of what you mean when you say Vinny has made it clear he doesn’t want to play in Mtl…?

• ont fan says:

Vinny could have signed as a free agent..wasn’t interested

• Mike D says:

Vinny was in a very long slump until the NTC clause in his contract kicked in. After he started playing better he was asked in an interview what caused the positive turnaround in his game and his response was that the trade rumours to Montreal had been weighing on him and had a negative effect on his play.

To me, that was the big one. Very telling of his desire (or lack of) to play in Montreal. He never publicly said the words “I don’t want to play in Montreal” which is smart on his part.

There were also a couple articles I read on TSN (one by Bob MacKenzie if I remember correctly) that stated Vinny didn’t want to come here citing his “sources”. Now I realize that doesn’t automatically make it true and I have no idea who these sources are, but Bob is a pretty credible member of the hockey media IMO. Plus it seems to jive with the above.

There was also the interview he did at the ASG in Montreal when the fans were going gaga over him (like a bunch of teeny boppers at a Justin Bieber concert) that also drew me to this conclusion.

- Honestly yours

• habs-fan-84 says:

Cool thanks for clearing that up Mike.

• Mike D says:

No worries 84 :-)

- Honestly yours

• Sal says:

Soon as any player turns down playing on a team in Canada, besides the Laffs, lol, but, esp. the Habs, they are losers to me. Live your career where only a handfull of peole get hockey, and are passionate about it. Ask a US fan if they would go to a hockey game or a baseball game, and you will understand what I’m talking about.

Sal from the Hammer

• solomio says:

Sal I’d rather go to a Blue Jays game than a Leafs game.

any chance the trade includes RC for GB?

• Sal says:

Don’t want Vinnie…he had his chance to play in the best hockey market, and, he chose to stay in Tampa with their 10 fans. He could have been a GOD had he played here, instead he won a cup with team nobody but a handfull of people give a flying f#$k about. FU Vinnie!!

Sal from the Hammer

• Mike D says:

Vinny has a NTC in his contract….and doesn’t want to play in Montreal so no way that’s happening. That “heat” you talk about being removed from RC, would land squarely on Vinny’s shoulders which is why he doesn’t want to come here. The pressure of having to be The Great French Hope in Montreal is a huge deterrent. Richard and Lafleur cast big shadows.

Any trades Tampa makes would likely involve acquiring a goaltender or Dman since that is their biggest weakness.

FFS, why can’t people let go of the Vinny-to-Montreal BS.

- Honestly yours

• Sal says:

As the saying goes, “if you can’t handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen.” Vinnie is chicken s__t!!

He won a cup where nobody cares, so he can collect his fortune and mail it in from now on.

Sal from the Hammer

• Mike D says:

Vinnie is absolutely a chickensh!t IMO. As is Briere. I’m not a francophone, but I am from Montreal and I would give just about ANYTHING to play for the Habs. I’m 30 now though, so that pipe dream is long over with lol.

To me, ANY kid who grew up as a Habs fan, becomes an NHL player, and then doesn’t want to play for them should be ashamed of themselves. Even more so for french canadiens who are also local boys.

- Honestly yours

• Sal says:

I agree Mike. If you don’t want to play fr the habs, you are brain dead. All the excuses about taxes, and language…IMO, Monteal is the best city in N America, never mind Canada. TO SUCKS!!!

I guess I’ll hear from some on this one, eh?

Sal from the Hammer

• solomio says:

Get real. You think Vinnie doesn’t have a no trade clause? Besides he loves Florida. Who wouldn’t in his situation.
      PG isn’t going to make any trades. He’s gonna occupy himself with signings of the youtfull future of this team and not sell the farm for a shorterm bandaid solution. Not that Vinnie’s contract is that but it sure as hell would be another anchor around the organizations neck. Like we don’t have enuff already ?

40. Danno says:

Plex still looks upset and/or perplexed

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

41. Sal says:

Glen Heally, that noted Hab hater, just reminded everyone, how BG got his pocket picked when he threw McDonaugh into the Gomez trade. Good trade Bob, Gen Sather, maybe the most over-rated, live on his past glory, GM in all of hockey, pulled a beauty out of his hat on that one. Oh, and, for anybody who says look at the Rangers now, that’s a big leg up from BG, and, the fact that the New York market is just free agent friendly. Mtl may have just shut the door completely on free agent attraction index, with the latest frenzy over the coaching situation…maybe we are dooooooooooomed!Just kidding, still, does not bode well for the future!

Sal from the Hammer

Lundqvist is really keeping the Rangers in this game.

43. novahab says:

Well I think the writting is clearly on the wall and pleks knows it. He’s very tradable and he knows it. PK is going no where and out of the other three, only Gionta will get some interest. Eller started on the first line ,I find it interesting that Pleks was there during practise. Do you think he went to RC and complained.

44. Mattyleg says:

This whole Winter Classic thing is dumb.
    It’s a PR scheme dreamed up by the NHL in an attempt to sell its ‘brand’ to Americans.
    It’s marketing, marketing, marketing.
    What’s the difference between watching the Flyers play the Rangers elsewhere, apart from the fact that it’s outdoors?
    And the whole ‘reality show’ leadup to it is a bit much.

Bah humbug? Perhaps a bit…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Disagree, it is a neat once a year special game. Your Habs Farm team is playing Toronto’s farm team in a couple weeks outdoors.

No doubt helps advertise game to the States, but the advertising is real hockey played outdoors. I got no issues with it as a fan.

• Mattyleg says:

I know, I know, it’s not a popular opinion…

It’s just that when I see the NHL doing this, and selling it like crazy through the media, it gives them ideas about what other novelty things they can do to attract the American audience, like the shootout, or God-only-knows-what’s-next…

I guess it just goes back to me not liking being bombarded by media telling me that I should get excited about something. I care no more about this game than any other Rangers-Flyers game.

I’m a big fun-kill, I know.
        Sorry.
        I’ll shut up about it.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

LOL, but your argument is what makes this game good, they aren’t selling shootouts or stupid ideas, they are selling hockey played outdoor. Grassroots, even though no pro league ever played outdoors. Perhaps being a kid from Manitoba who played way more hockey outdoors than in, I really like it.

• theox_8 says:

was at the calgary habs classic last year,, have to say worst hockey game I have ever been too, the pace was slow as hell, they all skated hall gills speed. Chippy ice, it is just a huge marketing scam. Had to wait at least fifteen min to either take a piss grab some food or get a drink, and that was during play, not at intermissions.

• mrhabby says:

disagree..its a great event. i bet you if the HABS played a winter classic in the city where you lived you would go…(depending where you lived)

• Mattyleg says:

What makes it ‘a great event’, apart from the media telling you that it’s ‘a great event’?
        And no, I wouldn’t be overly excited to go see the Habs play outdoors here in Montreal.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• solomio says:

Matty…yeah its PR, markeitng and selling the brand. That’s what the biz is all about. Whats your problem.? Plus the 24/7 on HBO was very well done, excelllent in fact, and the Flyer / Ranger rivalry will make for some great hockey, hopefully.
      You’re way in left field on this one Mr Leg

• The Jackal says:

I think it’s a cool event, but I don’t get very hyped up about it. What I like the most is the HBO series following the lead up to the game, I would love the Habs to play one soon just so we they can be in 24/7! Now that would be really cool.

• mb says:

I might be the only one here agreeing with you. I know it’s a classic and it’s becoming a tradition. But to me, honestly, it does not mean anything more than any regular Flyers-Rangers game. I’m not against it in any way, nor am I against the media attention it gets, but it brings no particular interest to me.

• JF says:

Maybe I’m the only one who agrees with you, Matty. Bettman doesn’t care about hockey or its Canadian roots, he just wants to sell the game in the U.S. That’s why it’s always two “big name” American teams, never a Canadian team or a team from a city like Minnesota.

• J Dub says:

Just tuned in, so I dunno yet, but last year’s “classics” were the two worst games of the year by a long shot. The ice was terrible, everyone falling down, impossible to pass. Worst games ever.

45. Sal says:

I hope that Jeff Molson, doesn’t allow PG, BG, or whoever, has been making the recent desperation, panic moves, will NOT be allowed to make anymore, before a new management team is hired. So letssee if we heard this right, PG waited to sign Josh Gorges, to see how well his knee would hold up, but, Markov, who had back to back ACL surguries got a multi-year? Markov, who I doubt was in a great bargainning position, should have been offered one year also.

The way PG is talking, I highly doubt his job is in jeopardy. Unbelieveable!!

Sal from the Hammer

• Mattyleg says:

Heya Sal,
      Could you please explain to me how PG’s recent moves are ‘desperation, panic moves’, and not ‘moves designed to take the team out of its slump and put it on track’?
      People have been using the term ‘desperation’ a lot, but I don’t know how what PG’s done qualifies as ‘desperate’. I’m no PG-propper, but I just don’t get this terminology.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Sal says:

Witness the Kaberle signing, and, lets face it, the JM firing, at this junture, is also a desperstion move, designed to stem the bleeding and hopefuly keep him his job. Plus, he never thought through the consequences of hiring RC, he paniced. I wanted JM gone too, just didn’t think it was time to panic yet. Kaberle is a part of a long tradition of losers from the Laffs, they rid themselves of all the old dead wood and we take it on…were stuck with another dead ender non tradeable contract for two more years…hope that answers your question.

Sal from the Hammer

46. Wow, Pleks does a lot of talking without saying anything in that video…

47. Sean Bonjovi says:

Seeing Pleks taking punches to the face would make my day, but I can’t find any good video of this fight.

“If ownership cared about Habs fans, or Habs wins the Habs would play home games in the last two weeks of December”
    - Sean Bonjovi

• habs-fan-84 says:

there’s a video of the so called “fight” on the TSN website, but it looks like they missed the “beginning” of it.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

thx, you’re right that clip doesn’t show much. Sure RDS will have a whole analysis in a couple hours.

- Sean Bonjovi

• ProHabs says:

You know what this usually means don’t you. Either PK is sleeping with Pleks wife or Pleks is sleeping with PK’s girlfriend. Not cool boys.

• The Jackal says:

Yeah cus all fans want to see the players from their team get punched.
      The worst part about the Habs losing are the unemployed GMs, experts, and faux fans and come out of the woodwork. In the end it’s just a game and it doesn’t affect life outside the two and a half hours you spend watching the game.

• solomio says:

Hey Maljovi.. you’d like to see Habs highest point producer taking a couple of shots to the head?
      What r u Bruins or Leafs fan?

48. habs-fan-84 says:

I know it’s not a Habs game, but I’m surprised Boone doesn’t have a live game blog going….

49. Al aboo says:

I went to watch a practice a couple of weeks ago, the morning after we beat the islanders . I actually noticed pleks and P.K jarring at each other. P.K looked like he was playing around but pleks didn’t seem too amused. That was almost three weeks ago. It may be that what’s happening off the ice is reflecting what is happening on the ice. Reminiscent of the whole kostitsyn bros/price/mafia thing…….

50. Bobcat Bob says:

Bobcat Bob
    @de hema – I know what you are saying my friendly hippo – and I agree – but I have been on some teams where a couple of players have turned their seasons around by getting a little more emotional about their play. They both have super talent and let’s hope they show it bigtime in the second half of the season. By
    the way I do not include you in my list of ” Negative Nellies”, I always think your posts show some patience and common sense about our team.

There are rumours that next year outdoor classic in Ann Arbor MI (100,000+ seating capacity) Detroit vs. Toronto. That would easily sellout with Toronto fans aplenty crossing the border for that. Huge moneygrab this annual game is becoming.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Aside from this forum/blog I’ve never actually met anyone who dislike’s the Winter Classic. Personally, I love it.

I should clarify, I don’t say huge moneygrab in a bad way, but rather, I think it is making more money than they ever thought it would. Between the Gate revenue, but perhaps more importantly this is one of the highest ratings game they get on NBC in the States all year.

• habs-fan-84 says:

My apologies, I read your post (at least the last sentence anyway) as having a negative connotation.

The game, at least for me, has become a New Year’s tradition. Sitting here drinking some fancy Belgian brews – great way to close out the Holiday’s!
          Cheers,

No apology necessary, when I reread my statement I realized also it came out different than I meant. Enjoy the belgian brews, I am enjoying some Czech beer, lamenting how we didn’t land the big Czech Jagr this past off season.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Was just watching Anthony Bourdain’s No Reservations in Prague last night. By the looks of things it looks like an essential stop for any Beer lover!
          Cheers,

• The league is a business, right? So pretty much everything they do is to make money.

52. naweed235 says:

As much as I like PK as a player I gotta admit that he is a little brat. He constantly runs his mouth on the ice and turtles every time somebody goes after him. And he is clearly a distraction in the locker room. I’d rather not have cases like this on my team…
    Anyhow, if he was to be dealt right now, What do you think we can get for him?

53. Arune Singh says:

Surprised to see everyone giving up on Pleks so easily. Hs a workhorse and shas given his all for the team.

There’s clearly a lot of problems right now, but let’s be surgical in how we fix them, not a bull in a china shop.

Thank You Saku. Thank you Halak. Thank you to all who wear the CH.

54. daveho29 says:

I could really use a real Philly cheese steak right about now, to go along with the beer of course.

55. habs001 says:

Pk is a young player that will be a critical part if the habs become an elite team in 3 years…gion has played 198 total games with the habs and has scored 77 goals while camm has played 192 games and has scored 69 goals…gion has performed to expectations and i am not sure why many posters dont like him…if gallagher makes it in the nhl he will be a lot like gion….

• likehoy says:

Gionta’s done well IMO

Cammalleri, not so much. Another thing is that Cammalleri is getting 1m/yr more than Gionta and doesn’t backcheck.

- If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

56. HabFanSince72 says:

if you were a team with playoff aspirations, which Habs would you want in a trade, and what would you give up? (Assuming only older players are available i.e. no Price or PK.)

My choices:

1. Tomas Plekanec. Willing to give up a #1 round pick and a prospect.
    2. Michael Cammalleri. Willing to give up a #1 pick.
    3. Travis Moen. Willing to give up a #2 pick.
    4. Hal Gill. Willing to give up a #4 pick.

57. Trisomy 21 says:

I wonder if things can actually get worse for MTL. Remember when Koivu and Ribeiro fought? they shipped the latter out. And now I see PG is hanging RC out to dry. I bet he has that warm feeling of confidence in him right? I look forward to the great things RC will have to say about Montreal when he leaves. This organization is but a glimpse of what it was. Now the fans are calling the shots. I don’t remember which GM said it: fans are great, but if you start listening to them you will start losing. Take a page out of that guys book.

58. Rad says:

Same old, Same old, from Gauthier. This guy puts me to sleep whenever I hear him speak. This so-called “press conference” of his should be entitled “How To Talk to Reporters For 20 Minutes And Say Absolutely Nothing Important,” or, “How I Mismanage A Legendary Hockey Franchise But Have No Answers,” or, “How I Took My Hockey Team To the Bottom Of the Standings and Excused Myself of Accountability Because of Injuries,” or, “How I Demand Accountability From My Players But Not From Myself.”

Is bringing Marc Staal back for his first game at the Outdoor Classic the smart thing to do? I have heard reports where players say it is harder to gauge where you are on the ice at these outdoor games because of how different the dimensions of ballpark versus hockey arena. Would hate to see Staal get some inadvertant Steckel like hit in the head today.

60. punkster says:

Leadership. Experience. Talent. Respect.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Mike D says:

Pretty good article. My only problem with it is that the guy loses a lot of credibility when he makes the mistake of saying that the Canadiens have only ever offered a 6 year deal to one other player, and then put Cammy’s name in brackets. The only other player to ever get a 6 year deal with the Habs was Pleks.

If your job is to report on hockey, or the Habs in particular, you cannot make such simple mistakes and clear oversights.

Marinaro did something similar today on his radio show (first time I listened to it BTW which doesn’t bode well for me tuning-in in the future). The statement was made that no other player in Habs history had ever been given a 6 year deal. I believe another listener must have let him know the mistake as he corrected himself in the next segment.

- Honestly yours

• slychard says:

Excellent read. As always we can count on the Burly to post great links. Thx.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

61. adamkennelly says:

what a joke this team is – seriously. Hey PG – how bout apologizing for icing a shit team, with no character, no jam and zero toughness…if the Habs played in the Swiss league – they’d be good…they are robbing their fans with this product.

Laviolette none to pleased with Bryzgalov’s latest manouvers.

• Habsolutely says:

Laviolette came off as a super tool on 24/7 when he was repeatedly crying about the “reffing” in Montreal. That series left me with a new found respect for Torts and a lack of respect for Laviolette.

Apparantly in the 24/7 show, you can see Laviolette telling Giroux how he looks good and the team needs him back in the lineup. The innuendo that the Coach was rushing him back. Good thing for Lavy that Giroux didn’t get reinjured a la Crosby vs. Tampa after the Winter Classic.

• Trisomy 21 says:

You should watch the scene before you say that. He states twice that if he feels alright he should play. This was because Giroux said he didn’t want to be a liability and Laviolette replied by saying “You kidding you look great out here, you won’t hurt us if you play but that’s only if you feel like you’re ready”
          Players need confidence they can’t go into games thinking about what if i get hit, because that will change their game. He never says the team needs him back.

I like laviolette and I don’t think there’s anything wrong about what he said abot the reffing. hell i’d like to have seen JM get a little upset every now and then. Also how can you not side with him, that was a terrible sequence by the refs, they gave the goal to mtl.

That was why i said apparantly, thanks for the information. I happen to think Laviolette is a pretty good coach. His personality annoys me a bit, but I think he knows how to get lots out of his team.

• Trisomy 21 says:

I agree, I like him.
            I can see torts being a great coach for a contender, but what if he coached the Habs? There would be a looooooot of yelling.

• Habsolutely says:

because he was implying that every team who plays in Montreal gets jobbed by the refs and he whined about it constantly saying “typical Montreal” he’s a whiny douche IMO.

63. BramScott says:

Habs lead the league in something! Ticket revenue per game of $2 million is tops in the NHL

All the more reason Mr. Molson should be able to afford putting Gomez in Hamilton next season if he is not traded thus providing great salary cap relief.

• Mike D says:

I would truly be shocked if Gomez was still with the team beyond this season (unless it’s in Hamilton). I just don’t see the team continuing to carry his cap hit given the other contracts that need to be signed, and I say this regardless of who the GM will be when the decision is made.

- Honestly yours

I agree Mike, it would be in our teams best interest if he could come back healthy have a decent run in order to possibly open up the possibility of trading him to a team which could use his cap hit to help hit Salary Cap floor for next year.

• Mike D says:

Yeah, that would be optimal if it were to happen, but I’d be wary of what we got in return. I would greatly prefer if it came in the form of a long-shot prospect or late-round pick (realistically I don’t think we could get more than that regardless of how Gomez plays the rest of the year).

The last thing I would want is for Montreal to have to “take some salary back” and wind up with another albatross on the books. It worked for Toronto with Lupul but generally it’s a bad idea and the team makes no progress. I wouldn’t necessarily mind taking a useful vet with a year or two left on his contract at a much lower cap hit than Gomer’s, but we must avoid the other pitfalls.

If we are forced to take a bad contract in return I would greatly prefer we just send him down. If the new CBA allows for a penalty-free buyout period then that becomes another valid option.

- Honestly yours

• ont fan says:

The only way you move Gomez is trading salaries with someone else..Blake for Giguere in TO

64. GrimJim says:

The only link I have available is the Pierre Gauthier audio. Anyone else missing Gorges, Price and Pleks audio?

65. Bogie Man says:

I believe you need to start from scratch and build the team around key players such as Gorges, Cole, and Price. These guys bring it every night. The rest I have very little respect for their inconsitency and lack of ability to live up to their unjustified contracts.

66. Bogie Man says:

I really think now is the time for change, both the GM and coach must move on and the longer we prolong this the longer it takes for the team to morph into a cup contender. Waiting is just prolonging the inevitable.

I like to see Larry Robinson involved somehow either as GM or head coach.

For all the Star Wars fans out there, the guy that played Darth Vader during light sabre fights died.

And Michael Farber writes about the Winter Classic in Philly today.

68. smiler2729 says:

All in all it’s been a shitty year for lots of reasons, maybe they get some jazz and head thru ’12 on a good roll…

Probably not.

___________________________________
    Jack Edwards sucks chowdah chunks

69. price365 says:

The veteran players has to turn this team around and more importantly help the young players with their mistakes. this is one reason why we are losing leads and in some cases games. IMO a good trade is needed players that will peform better and it’s up to PG to do that for the good of the team and for the future.

70. Bobcat Bob says:

Bobcat Bob
    I say leave the guy (JG) alone until we see where the team is in the next 30 games ( 60 potential points). You Negative Nellies just might have to eat your words. A fight in practice ??? Good -
    a little wake up call for both players – we all know they are better than they have shown.

71. Danno says:

PG came across as professional and sincere. He sure looked stressed out though. It’s got to be one of the toughest jobs of all.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

72. powdered toastmann says:

Aye Carumba…are we taking inflation into consideration.

73. Danno says:

Is your $80 Rolex watches, genuine highest quality +++ always happy endings?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

74. HabFab says:

Your having way too much fun with that :)

75. Mr. Biter says:

Don’t forget cannot talk his way out of fighting now even with his teamates.

Mr. Biter

76. Chuck says:

Missed it… what was said, and why?

77. nickster13 says:

He said the third period was fixed against the rangers cuz they were winning. AKA accusing the refs of avoiding penalty calls against the Flyers and calling things against the Rags to try and get the score evened up.

78. showey47 says:

cole was the best so far imho.

79. Chuck says:

Considering the Habs’ ineptness on the powerplay this season, we’ll know that the fix is in against Montreal if they increase the penalty calls in their favour. ;)

80. showey47 says:

It’s much more common then alot of people think. You just don’t hear about it because nobody in montreal or canada cares if 2 players in phoenix have a scrum in practice.

81. Les Canayens says:

(drum clash)

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
    ☞ I can’t really hear what Jeremy says, because I’ve got my two Stanley Cup rings plugging my ears.☜

82. DorvalTony says:

Yeah but Randy’s too classy and maybe with a little more time he can get some .600 hockey out of these underachievers.

Down to Price. Without top five goaltending it’s a Titleist season. If he’s as good as the hype he’ll stop serving up pies and start stealing games.

——————————–
    “Okay, everybody take a Valium.”

83. 24moreCups says:

Maybe he’s going through that dreaded “sophomore slump” like other talented young defense men have gone through.

I don’t like the way he’s been playing or how he seems to be the only play other Lapierre getting into fights with team mates, but I would hate to see us losing someone who could be a great player one day unless we get something good in return.

84. Bill says:

This is not a response to you, per se, but to the kind of posters who post stuff kind of like this in general … so no offense. But.

It’s so pointless to speculate about “in the room”. We don’t know. Moreover, we don’t have a clue. So to suggest that a particular player is a problem in terms of his effect on team morale behind the scenes is just rumour-mongering of the worst kind.

Also, if statistics are reliable, just one of the players you list will actually become an NHL regular. So pick your favourite, and THEN tell me the Habs don’t need PK.

Full Breezer 4 Life