Multimedia from Friday practice

Practice

Randy Cunneyworth taleked about toughness.
“All players are tough,” the coach said after the Canadiens’ Friday practice. “Some are tougher than others.”
Cunneyworth said what the Canadiens are displaying is “a shared toughness.”
“I think we’re a tougher team. That’s not a bad thing.”

AUDIO: Randy Cunneyworth

• Aaron Palushaj and Scott Gomez suffered eye injuries against Minnesota.

• Therapy day for Raphael Diaz (who’s been sick), Carey Price, David Desharnais, Erik Cole and Josh Gorges,

1. habsfan1001 says:

TO no better than before Burkie got there so he will join PG on the unemployment line i hope

So Burke waits till they fly to Montreal (they didn’t go back to T.O. after Chicago game) to fire him, so that Ron could spend his contract extension/severance package at Chez Paree, see now that is how a classy organization does its Pearnings!

3. mrhabby says:

Burke had to do something. If laffs lose tomorrow night he would have to do it…might as well try to change it now.

4. H.Upmann says:

Burke’s running outta rope…… he should call PG for advice on how to keep his job

5. habsfan1001 says:

I have a feeling JM has been hired to replace just the way the guy on TSN was talking

6. SmartDog says:

Wilson fired. Man, that’s one unhappy guy.

Can PG be next???? :))))))

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

7. boing007 says:

Wilson just fired.

Richard R

8. boing007 says:

Lehner just stopped Sharp on a Penalty Shot.

Richard R

9. jo_maka says:

I want every game of the season to be a loss for us because it’s not every year that we’ll get the chance to turn things around by drafting the (potentially) next Malkin or Ovechkin. If the kids can play and have fun, like last night, but still lose, I’ll be OK with that.

If you think the cupboards are bare (the frequent call up of Paloosh’s flowing hair tend to prove you right), try to look past the Dogs. This year, Gallagher nearly made it. Bournival, Ellis, Kristo, Beaulieu and Tinordi all coming up next year. Leblanc as it is now might as well get a pad in the 514. I liked what I see from BabyBoom, Ryan ”the Tasmanian Devil” White. Avtsin, Naatinen, St-Denis and Dumont will all become more mature. So the prospect of getting a 3rd overall (1st if we win the lottery) almost make up for the trainwreck that was this season.

I want tomorrow to be a huge win, mind you. Playing spoilers to Toronto is always good.

Obviously, there were some blunders in the past, but overall I think Timmins’ track record is decent. I mean, except Patch and Price, none of our actual core comes from a 1st round. Except Eller but that was for St-Louis. Our de facto #1 center and our #1D were undrafted. Let’s get over 2003, the Rangers did even worst for that one, and LA wanted AK real bad.

This is a bad, very bad season, people. Let’s make it worth it: pummel the Leafs at every turn, let’s get the new Malikn, let the kids play, then play on home ice for the 2 first rounds of next year’s spring dance !
    _________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

• Stev.R says:

Holland with the Dogs next year too, i think.

• jo_maka says:

Yes. And I forgot about Pribyl.
        _________________________________
        Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

• Stev.R says:

Outside of Yakupov, I think the top five or so guys in this years draft are pretty interchangeable. I trust Timmons to pick the right guy.

I’ve been warming up to Forsberg a lot lately. I also don’t mind Galchenyuk. I wouldn’t be surprised if we went after Faksa

• ABHabsfan says:

Your view of tanking for a top 3 pick is shared by a majority of posters here but I will provide a contrary arguement.
      From your own paragraph 3, our best forward and our best D were undrafted so why so much emphasis on a top 3? If ” the next Malkin” were one of the top 3 I would have a different tune, I imagine but from a wide range of reports that just doesn’t seem to be the case. It is just too much of a crap-shoot in the draft to think that all is fixed because we drafted in the top 3. Alex Daigle anyone?
      The core of this team is currently forging their own identity, learning to play for each other and hopefully win together. A team that leaves this season on a high note, stringing some wins together and feeling good about the future, is worth more in the future than even the 1st pick overall. CBJ has had nothing but high picks and still stink. Fla hasn’t made the playoffs in 12 years and are touch and go for this year.
      Here’s another reason, Eric Cole. The best FA signing here perhaps ever and I include AK27. Are you going to go and tell this warrior of a player that we appreciate your effort, playing hurt and all, but we’d rather lose so we can pick a Russian kid who might be good someday after you retire? Cole’s response: ” trade me right f**kin’ now” and I wouldn’t blame him.
      This is training camp. An attitude of winning games and playing for the name (crest) on the front and not the back has to start now. Losing out the season makes guys alright with losing and that’s never good. At worst the Habs pick 10th plus 3 (I think) 2nds, there are quality players coming to this team. I’d rather see them win and keep winning than mail it in to pick 7 spots higher.
      But that’s just me.

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• jedimyrmidon says:

I really hope that Cole experiences at least going deep in the playoffs with the Habs during his stay here. I bet that’s why he came over in the first place. From what he has shown this year, he was worth every penny that Gauthier gave him: he was practically carrying the team at times when almost all other lines had given up.

• ABHabsfan says:

Exactly, that’s why they need to foster an environment of winning even now. Better for just-signed FAs (Cole) incoming UFAs (hopefully) and current VIRFAs (ver important RFAs, you know who they are)

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
          Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• jo_maka says:

Valid point.

Nevertheless, I think we’ve been doing it that way for a long while. This time, we have an opportunity to add something significant, tangible. Montreal hasn’t had anyone that really moved fans, a real game breaker for several years. And this time, we have a shot at it, without even blowing up our core which include some kids south of 25 that are earning their stripes in this lost cause.

You love those warriors ? They deserve a real contender, not a middle of the pack mickey mouse team that fight to squeak in 8th and get floored by any team in 1st round.

The fact that our #1 C was undrafted doesn’t mean that a high draft pick is not necessary. That’s nonsensical. If anything, it’s only a testament to the talent of the scouts that urged the management to give him a shot. Now if that team was given a jewel like a high draft pick, imagine what they can do ? Yes Alex Daigle. Yes David Fisher. Yes Someone Whatever……

The fear of striking out shouldn’t stop you from playing the game. And that my friend, is a mindset that ANY warrior can understand.

If playoff was still in the picture, I’d say let’s do this. But now that we’re out, let’s make something out of this.

_________________________________
        Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

10. Thx G

I had one of those WOW moments the other night.

Last game of the regular season. The Brandon Penguins need to win to get home ice.

With the score 2-2, Matthew Oliver takes the pass through the defensive zone. It’s the end of along shift for the opposing team, Matthew skates up the middle though the neutral zone , two kids attempt to check him and bounce off. Matthew fakes left and blows by the thrid forward.

Oliver crosses the blue line fakes right goes between the two D and skates up the middle, backhand forehand scores the winning goal!

AS soon as I saw what was going on in our end, I stood up and without even really noticing I started play by play for the fans.

It was hilarious, and even though he scored the other fans were pretty excited too.

After the game one of the one of the ______ walked up to me and told me to get out to the double A tryouts next year.

I told him “no, my boy plays for fun, but if you can convince him then I’ll be a major sponsor”

Matthew is scared to death he’ll get a head injury like mine. He saw me go down in the hospital and code blue. Scared the crap out of him.

Anyways

Gotta beat those Leafs. The season may be over for the Habs, but they can afford to win this one game and then continue on with MR. Gauthier’s 10 year plan. :lol:

Go Wheaties Go

Go Habs Go

Carey Carey Carey

2012 Team Canada Goalie

They Call Me Shane
    “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
    Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

11. kholdstare says:

I think Sean Bonjovi said it best with

“Patch the holes, ride it out, Play for 2015″
    - Seanbonjovi

12. habstrinifan says:

Don’t mean to be negative or cruel… but heard on TSN990 today that Gomez and Palushaj likely out with injury?. This means we are de facto gonna be fielding a better team on Saturday.

Biggest game of the season right here. WW WIN in regulation.. and the LAFFS dont make the PLAYOFFS.

I cant stan dthe Leafs playing hockey after we have close dour season down.

GO HABS GO!!!

Who’s really running HABS these days.. lots of intrigue. Personally I think it’s Serge Savard!

13. The Jackal says:

Sean Bonjovi I love how you quote yourself in your signature!

14. Habsdino says:

Can someone help me load a pic for my profile please.

15. DrA says:

Who is the real ghost: PG or BG? {Cue the X-files theme}

16. secretdragonfly says:

Totally off-topic but I just went to update my weekly pool picks and noticed the following players all listed as injured:
    Niklas Backstrom – MIN
    Mikael Backlund – CGY
    Nicklas Backstrom – WASH

Weird.

Phoenix Coyotes have signed WHL Leading Scorer Brendan Shinnimin to an entry level contract, Holland’s linemate at Tri City

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I almost wrote “Shounds like a good pick up!”, but then I decided that would be stupid, so I didn’t.

“Patch the holes, ride it out, Play for 2015″
      - Seanbonjovi

18. gmur says:

Watched Grigorenko play recently. Would not pick him if I had first choice in the draft. He’s a floater. Third game I’ve seen him play and he doesn’t like traffic. When the other team is small, and gives him room, he likes it. Good hands, though. Can skate well, but he outclasses players in the Q. When everyone can skate as fast as him, he may find things not-so-pleasant.

• deuce6 says:

Corey Pronmen (NHL Draft/Prospects writer for Hockey Prospectus and ESPN) says this about him..

“Grigorenko is not as physical as you’d like, but considering his physical gifts he has an average physical game overall and I have no concerns with his work ethic. He plays a slow down, cerebral type of game which IMO can look like a lazy player. He doesnt go all out every shift but hes not lazy and as one Head Scout says, “Grigorenko at 80% is still the best player on the ice”. He’s actually a very effective defensive forward and can win board battles. There are no major intangible issues with him ala Filatov.”

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

• Ali says:

haha beat me to it

• Sean Bonjovi says:

You need to have every scouting report on your clip board already like all the rest of us do ; )

“Patch the holes, ride it out, Play for 2015″
          - Seanbonjovi

• gmur says:

I’m not a professional scout. God knows we should trust scouts blindly. I’m sure Trevor Timmons trusts his junior scouts too and he has rarely made a mistake drafting high… But you go watch him and see what you think. I watched Ribeiro too, with the Remparts and the Citadelles and he dominated every aspect of the game. Grigorenko doesn’t. Ribeiro showed more talent than Grigorenko, at least in the 10-12 games I saw Ribeiro in.

• Ali says:

from Corey Pronmann who covers prospects for ESPN and Hockey Prospectus: “Grigorenko is not as physical as youd like, but considering his physical gifts he has an average physical game overall and..”
      “I have no concerns with his work ethic. He plays a slow down, cerebral type of game which IMO can look like a lazy player”
      “He doesnt go all out every shift but hes not lazy and as one Head Scout says, “Grigorenko at 80% is still the best player on the ice.”
      “Hes actually a very effective defensive forward and can win board battles. There are no major intangible issues with him ala Filatov.”

19. jedimyrmidon says:

I think a key part of Ottawa’s rebuild this year was that they kept some veterans around from their previous team like Phillips, Spezza and Alfredsson to guide the younger players this year.

That’s why having Gionta around on the ice next year will be so important because he, Moen and Pleks (assuming Gomez isn’t returning) are the only remaining vestiges of the team that made it to the conference finals with the Habs or have Cup experience (you could add Cole to the latter group). I single out Gionta especially because even though probably isn’t the most vocal guy, he leads by example and plays hard.

More troublesome is the lack of experience on the D. Hopefully Markov will be back because he would fill that role perfectly.

• gmur says:

Good points. They need another veteran defenceman. Maybe Hamrlik would come back… but the real issue is upper management. The old italian maxim
      ‘A fish stinks from the head down’
      applies to this season and the Canadiens.

About the toughness thing and how apparently the team is losing more. There is no connection. The only difference is that now they are losing without their tails between their legs. It’s a better culture to bring young players into.

For the life of me I can’t understand how people think the Habs have been successful in recent years. Finishing 3rd over-all is meaningless when it is followed the year after by a 2nd half melt down. Making it to the ECF’s is meaningless if the two players that did most of the heavy lifting have been traded.

Some might disagree but IMO the Habs have been playing well beyond their talent level since Gainey decided to blow everything up. The cracks showed this season.

If the Habs are going to truly build a contender better to add talent to toughness than the other way around. We saw what bringing in BGL provided.

• joeybarrie says:

I think if a team plays at a certain level more often than not, then that is in fact their level. Playing 3 seasons ‘ beyond their talent ‘ and then 1 season at what you consider the actual level to be seems to me kind of backward thinking.
      The Habs have been playing to their talent. Their biggest issue was Markov and other injuries. Lack of depth in the organization. The biggest disappointment was Cammi in my opinion. We thought we had a 40 goal scorer. But we really had a 30 goal scorer who lit it up in the playoffs one year. To be honest we have really lacked consistent scoring. If we had that things would have been different. We are starting to look like we solved that with MaxPac and Cole. We still need another 30 goal scorer and Gio healthy.
      Fill our HUGE D holes and stop relying on a 22 year old kid to lead our D and we will see a lot less goal against.
      Worst aspect of our game is PP. And that’s all about scoring.

London Knights versus Oshawa Generals on Sportsnet Ontario tonight. For those wondering about Tinordi, good chance to watch him play.

22. H.Upmann says:

Man oh man… what can Cunneyworth do except just ride it out? Winning last night was so meaningless and covers up that meltdown at the end. I’m not against Kaberle myself, but Campoli and Weber……. At least Subban Emelin Gorges Diaz are bright spots. So many problems with management and urgent team issues, don’t know where to begin. Really, just a huge SIGH about it all… At least we can laugh about it….somewhat.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

IMO Kaberle produces enough offence that it’s worth having him on the team even at $4 1/4 million, but you need to compensate for his weak defensive play by pairing him up with a D-first guy who can cover for him. Kaberle with Josh Gorges is a good pair, but guys like Weber and Campoli just highlight Kaberle’s flaws.

“Patch the holes, ride it out, Play for 2015″
      - Seanbonjovi

23. habs17 says:

is there any update on scott gomez.

President of the Scott Gomez Fan Club

(I support Scott Gomez)

24. jon514 says:

On the subject of toughness and the fact that Goon is an awesome flick:

If White and Staubitz are this team’s answer to Doug Glatt, then who are the ‘Xavier Laflamme’s of this team who are going to step it up now that they’re getting more space and respect on the ice.

“Let’s be clear on the facts…”

25. Gerry H says:

Yes, the Habs have toughened up considerably since the all star break. Those who like that kind of thing will be pleased.

Would it be churlish of me to point out that their record has gotten worse during that same period?

• Bill says:

Not even a little bit churlish.

It’s funny how things go. I was one of those who thought the Habs would be better off playing a more aggressive style: enter RC and the two-man forecheck, and … bam. They sucked way worse.

Watching the Habs get pushed around, it was logical for many to think that having more toughness would allow them to play a better game. Instead, they’re playing tougher, but not better.

The basic problem is overall lack of talent, which is due to lack of depth, which is due in large part to injuries. Our first line is fine. After that, we have nothing. If Gionta were around to play with Pleks and Bourque, I think that would be a decent secondary unit that would produce more. And on D, not having Markov cripples everything. Markov, Emelin, Subban, Gorges, Kaberle, and Diaz would actually be a decent group.

There’s always next year.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Mattyleg says:

Maybe even a bit of an ol’ PP might go some way to helping too…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• ABHabsfan says:

The best part about having Markov from the start of this year is that we would not have Kaberle. Even as a shodaow of his former self, Markov in place of Kaberle is worth 10 pts in the standings. But coulda, woulda, shoulda, right? If your aunt had balls she’d be your uncle

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
        Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• Mattyleg says:

Those who like that sort of thing will fight you for saying that.

They’ve had enough of cheap-shots on HI/O.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• jmsheehy19 says:

Yeah… I didn’t want to bring it up.

Right after the Pens lose Letang, the Flyers lose van Riemsdyk.

• Say Ash says:

Arggh! Could have traded for Kaberle and AK lol

• Bill says:

About van Riemsdyk, hockey people always talk about him like he’s a budding superstar. I wonder why Pacioretty doesn’t get as much respect? Very comparable career stats. And Pacioretty is having a much better year.

Best forwards from that draft, in order: Kane, Gagner, Benn, Pacioretty, van Riemsdyk. Perron is runner-up.

Ugh, Benn went in the 5th round. With all that size and skill … how?? Pretty much went right from junior into the NHL too.

Full Breezer 4 Life

27. HabFanSince72 says:

The idea that we’re a better team and that we won last night because of WHite and Staublitz is ridiculous.

First, neither player played 10 minutes.

Second, we scored three goals on the powerplay – nothing to do with our “enforcers”.

Third, we still had our 3rd period collapse – maybe our worst ever.

As an aside, I think White needs to concentrate on hockey.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• shiram says:

I made a post about White, on how he should try to keep it cleaner, as in 2 games he had a terribly obvious dive, and also punching Veilleux while he was restrained by Campoli.

Pleks is not gonna turn it around playing with White/Staubitz.

• habsfanforever7631 says:

We didn’t win because of them, it’s just nice to finally see some toughness on this team, to see someone stand up for Carey Price or one of our other players.

• boing007 says:

If you say so. Your logic is pretty feeble though.

Richard R

• adamkennelly says:

as an aside – you are missing the benefit toughness has on an entire team..you are missing the benefit not being the laughing stock of the league from a physical perspective has – you are missing then benefit confidence has on a hockey team….I don’t think anyone said Habs won last night because of those 2 players but steps in the right direction are being taken to make this team tougher and as a result more competitive in the NHL…

• bleedhabs81 says:

but his fight gave us a +3 momentum swing… or at least that is how it was described by another poster yesterday. If you can’t trust video games to be accurate, I don’t want to live anymore

• Canus says:

You may be a fan since 72′, however, I would take a guess and say you don’t have an idea what a winning team needs too win.
      Maybe White, and Staubitz weren’t on the ice for those they scored, however, teams and other players on other teams notice things like a team toughening up, and change their approach when they face us, now and in the future. Let’s face it, the Habs have been pushed around… no, they have been pathetically pushed around the last few years.
      Teams will prepare for us differently now. And, that my dear sir, that is a fact jack.
      Notice Pleck’s give White a smack on the ass after his fight, that’s him saying, good job boy, keep it up. Now, Pleck’s, Gionta and do their work, which is the more finesse kinda stuff. But, they won’t be hacked, and pushed around so much as before when they were the NHL’s whipping boys.

• Chris says:

Funny that Detroit can get FAR fewer major penalties every season and yet still sit near the top of the standings.

A couple of idiots throwing punches does little or nothing to deter teams from scrumming or hacking your skill/finesse players. After the incident with White last night, the Wild were running Subban. Weber had to fight. Bourque suffered a knee-on-knee hit. We lost two players to injuries (Palushaj and Gomez).

Both teams were playing awful, sloppy hockey because their lines were in complete disarray from the shenanigans during the first period. People were more interested in throwing huge hits than playing smart hockey…Subban could have gotten badly burned when he missed a big hit in the first period, while Emelin missed Kassian and could have hurt the team’s most valuable player on an open ice hit out near center ice that turned into an odd-man rush.

When you try to play tough, you are more often than not playing stupid. Montreal played awful last night, but escaped with a win because they were playing a similarly bad team.

Vancouver tried to play “tough” in the Stanley Cup finals and got shellacked in the final 5 games after staking themselves to a 2-0 series lead.

Toughness is overrated. Teams like the Bruins and Flyers play that style because it best suits their roster. Even there, both teams are successful more because they feature enviable depth and skill when compared to the average NHL team.

Toughness is not the sole formula to winning in the NHL, contrary to what neandrethals like Don Cherry would have me believe.

• Kooch7800 says:

Vancouver lacked sandpaper and depth and that is why they lost in the cup finals not because they tried to play tough. Key injuries and suspensions exposed them. Not to mention that Loungo sucked the hind tit pretty hard.They have added some significant sandpaper and depth this year and will be better for it. They will beat the Bruins if they face them again.

Just an FYI Detroit has 14 fighting majors this season and Montreal has 17….not much of a difference there but there is in the standings…why SKILL Level it has nothing to do with toughness.
          Detroit doesn’t play a soft game though, they do stick up for each other and they have some hard hitters on that team with some sandpaper.

The Rangers lead with 50 fighting majors and are kicking butt as a unit this year. They play as a solid unit. They do not play stupid cause they fight. NY is having a great year.

You can’t just use last nights game as a measuring stick for toughness or this season in general. Our Defense sucks and that is why we blew the lead last night and so many times this year.

The habs are trying to build a team that is tough to play against because currently they are not. Adding some toughness and willingness to stick up for each other would help in that department. They will be addressing some of their D problems in the off season.

Getting tougher is not a bad thing at all.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Thomas over Luongo is the main reason they lost.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• habs-fan-84 says:

I care what the players on the team think. All indications are: they like the addition of White and Staubitz.

I don’t understand how this hard to understand.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I’m sure the players would like lots of things: bowls of smarties in the dressing room, hot asian massage therapists who walk barefoot on your back, etc … The question is do Staublitz and White make us win more games?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

28. shiram says:

CanadiensMTL:
    Randy Cunneyworth: “Gomez and Palushaj won’t be playing in Saturday’s game due to eye injuries.”

29. adamkennelly says:

Couple of us around here have been preaching lack of toughness on the team and the impact it had/has on our record. Finally – we have a small amount of it and guess what – that’s all anyone is talking about. Took management most of last season and 3/4 of this to figure it out…pretty freaking sad if you ask me. if this team had a real 4th line and 1 tough D all year – my guess is our record would clearly show the benefit. Create an environment for skilled players to play in and tougher for opponents – what a novel concept. it was clear all season that our Habs were a joke to opponents – maybe not anymore.

• SmartDog says:

This is what pisses me off about people who say “could you be a better GM”? Fact is that sure the fans vent a lot, some of the things they say are moronic – trade Price, yadda yadda. But at the same time, some things are so obvious half the people at least know they’re important before the GM seems to. Correction: before OUR GM seems to. And that my friends, is one sign of a truly horrible GM. It’s not the couple of good trades he makes. It’s the body of work, the overall strategy – or blindness to one – in the Goat’s case. He’s a total lame duck. Listen to other GMs they actually SAY things and most of them even make sense!

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• matt jordan says:

PG is terrible, but he’s not the worst.

Anyone notice how Scott Howson managed to throw Rick Nash under the bus? Wow. Howson should have gone with PG’s strategy and hid under a rock.

But I guess Howson was smart enough to reject a trade for Kaberle…

• joeybarrie says:

What astonishes me is when ‘fans’ seem to have a hindsight opinion on everything, constantly bash our GM. Whomever it is at the time, and then gives passes to other GMs that do something similar.
        Kaberle. PG is the idiot, But Rutherford and Chiarelli are not.
        Gomez. BG is an idiot Sather is not.
        Then we forget all about all the bashing we did to players like Spacek, Gill, Latendresse, Pouliot, AK, Lapierre, Hamr, etc, etc. Then we go and bash the GM for getting rid of them.
        I’ve seen so many people picking and choosing their argument and subject based on current events and of course when the team loses. I’ve seen the same old ‘should’ve kept halak’ and ‘Price is to blame’ comments as often as it is humanly possible to make them.
        Its astonishing the level of negativity that is in here.
        I’m left thinking as soon as someone is hired or signed they are immediately waiting to be bashed. Never gonna ever be good enough until this team, wins 5 Cups in a row.

• matt jordan says:

The difference is that Chiarelli won the Stanley Cup with Kaberle in the lineup. Rutherford made the mistake of signing of signing Kaberle, admitted as much, than traded him to Montreal.

Sather did make a mistake of signing Gomez to that brutal contract. Then he managed to trade him to Montreal for a serviceable third liner and our top prospect.

The Canadiens mismanagement so far has left this team in last place in the eastern conference, with brutal long term contracts to average and terrible players. We are in the same position as the Maple Leafs a few years ago, except we still have our first round picks.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Worst part is, toughness is a relatively easy piece to add for a GM.

• shiram says:

Toughness with skill is difficult to find.
        It’s all well and dandy to appreciate Staubitz toughness and willingness to defend his team, but it would be better if he could pot in a couple goals and rack up some points too.

30. habsfanforever7631 says:

In my opinion, we need 2 more shut down dmen.
    That’s obvious, but I think we should give them 1 or 2 years, because after a few years our young dmen will be able to come up and fill all of those roles, and we got a lot of good dmen coming up!
    So just don’t sign the shut down dmen for 3 or 4 years.

And btw, love the toughness we showed last night.
    RW if he was with the Habs earlier like in November he would of made a difference.
    What a difference Brad Staubitz makes, he comes in and everyone is a little bit tougher and braver.
    Hope next year if we don’t resign Staubitz maybe someone tougher but we need to have someone like him on the team.

Subban and Emilen played a great game yesterday. Man those 2 plus Beaulieu, Tinorty and Gorges in the coming years will make a scary D core.
    Also DD and Pac had amazing games. I can’t believe how people want to trade Max pac, we finally have a young power forward that can score 30 or more goals, and sure let’s trade him away!

What do you guys think DD’s potential is? I think he could be a really good second line center.

Go Habs Go

31. gmur says:

If having guys like Staubitz and White around allow smaller players like DD to play like he did last night, hire a couple more over the summer. Loved the kind of ability he showed. Now, find Plekanec one (or two!) big, talented forwards that can grind a bit and he’ll get going too.

32. habs03 says:

“I’m really happy to have been able to develop the defensive aspect of my game. I’m doing my best to not really worry about the offensive side of things at this point because I know eventually, that will come on its own. I’m 22 years old and my focus right now is to build a solid foundation,” explained Subban, who has accumulated 26 points in the current campaign to date. “Jacques [Martin] always told me to worry about building foundations right now that will last me for the rest of my career. I obviously don’t want to be just a flash in the pan, and I think I’ve added elements to my game that are going to help me six or seven years down the line.”

Wait, I thought Jacques Martin was ruining PK??

33. SmartDog says:

Anyone notice that Randy doesn’t try to speak French as much as he did?

Can’t blame him. He knows he’s gone anyway so just focus on hockey for the time he has left.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

Having not read or heard anything, safe to assume no further discipline to Ryan White for throwing 3-4 Haymakers on the Wild player?

35. aj says:

I was reading this article lately on TSN website: http://www.tsn.ca/montreal/story/?id=389309

As I stated before, last night’s game is really Bad Officiating! I saw that tripping should’ve been called on Kurtis Foster when he hooked Max Pacioretty while they were racing for the puck.

Cunneyworth also should have protested during and after the game.

Why does every time the Habs play against every team in the NHL, there’s always bad officiating by refs and linesmen?

36. JoeC says:

This whole Markov situation and argument i have 1 point to make…

Let him play asap, that includes the World Championships./

Why you ask? If he blows out his knee this year or the Championships we know we need to replace him next year and will already know by July 1. If he doest blow his knee out and he impresses then there shouldnt be any questions on if Markov starts next year.

I am pretty much in agreement. I hadn’t prior to today given much thought to the World’s, but reality is, the surgery has either been successful or it hasn’t. Let’s know where we are at.

I think he is going to be fine. I actually believe that, cue the ridicule, including one Mr. Dorval Tony

• English is not a Crime says:

Two years ago Markov missed the first half of the season, returned in time for the Olympics, played about 40 games and then went back out for the rest of the playoffs. The following year he played only 7 games, now he’s been out for the entire season and there’s talk of him returning after the season to play in the Worlds? This contract needs to be voided (because he was injured prior to signing the current contract) and they need to cut ties with Markov. He only seems to want to play for Russia anymore, so let him go do so and use that money on somebody who will actually show up and play… I hear Weber’s due to make about that same amount of cash and Nashville’s hard pressed with the cap as it is for example….

• JoeC says:

Ya your right, nothing happend to cause those injurys to Markov at all right?

Do you watch hockey? did you NOT see what caused Markovs injurys? and you know, he must be faking it, and the doctor that keeps operating on him must be getting payed under the table right?

• Gerry H says:

“This contract needs to be voided (because he was injured prior to signing the current contract)”

Glutton for punishment, aren’t ya? Do you think Markov’s injury was a secret, when he signed?

I’m trying to figure out the scenario you think led to that contract:

Pierre Gauthier: “So, Mr. Markov, how’s the knee doing?”

Andrei Markov: “Nyever bytter – hundred percent, Piotr.”

Pierre Gauthier: “Great! Sign here!”

Look, the Habs are a half-billion dollar outfit. They have lawyers and doctors and everything. I don’t think they were relying on Don Meehan’s word.

• croozer says:

Good plan JoeC.
      Love to have Markov on the team, and the injuries aren’t his fault but the Habs simply can’t afford to tie up that much cash for a “maybe, sometime” player.

• habstrinifan says:

Imagine Markov playig in Worlds and re-injuring knee. Man teh commentariat would plain blow all the HIO fuses.

37. Psycho29 says:

@ Bripro:

So you didn’t tell your wife, “here’s the ladder, the paint, and the brushes. See you Sunday night” ? ;-)

LOL, Hey Psycho, how could any of us ever say that and expect to still be married on Sunday Night!!

• LA Loyalist says:

So this business man meets a very high end prostitute who tells him that she will do ANYTHING he wants for $500 bucks as long as he can say it in 3 words.

He thinks about the offer for a minute and says: “Anything? As long as I ask in 3 words?”

She looks at him with bedroom eyes and says “Yes.”

He nods and says okay: “Paint my house.”
      :-)

• Kooch7800 says:

you can do better than that.

One morning a woman was walking out of her front door, when she notices a strange little man at the bottom of her garden.

How are women and tornadoes alike?

They both moan like hell when they come, and take the house when they leave.

• Kooch7800 says:

A man and his wife go to their honeymoon hotel for their 25th anniversary. As the couple reflected on that magical evening 25 years ago, the wife asked the husband, “When you first saw my naked body in front of you, what was going through your mind?”

The husband replied, “All I wanted to do was to fuck your brains out, and suck your tits dry.”

Then, as the wife undressed, she asked, “What are you thinking now?”

He replied, “It looks as if I did a pretty good job.”

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

38. Someone asked why shouldn’t Markov play at the Worlds?

All teams start by playing 3 games in 4 nights.

I don’t know anything about his injury, but he’s sat out for so long, if he’s good enough to play at the World’s, he’s good enough to play for the Habs.

We need this guy next year. I can not take another losing season and as it stands the Canadiens could have a good player who can score who will need someone like Markov setting him up on the PP, and breaking out of our own end.

OT

PK will be better than ever next year. He knows his mistakes, and he may even lead the team in defensive points. Please oh please let that be true.

Back to work, nothing to see here!

They Call Me Shane
    “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
    Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

39. Rooster says:

If the habs sign suter wiseman or carle id be Pretty happy and it’d would give our blue line some much needed help

40. Cardiac says:

I’ll cut to the chase… we need defense. More experienced defense. After looking at this year’s UFAs, the picking are slim but some could be interesting:

Dennis Wideman
    Pavel Kubina
    Brad Stuart
    Filip Kuba
    Ryan Suter (obviously)
    Cory Sarich
    Matt Carle

We made a splash last year with Cole. Who do you think we should try to sign and, more importantly, the terms.

- Jerry Maguire

• habs03 says:

With Suter unlikely, and Stuart probably heading back out west for family reasons, I wouldn’t touch any of those guys, maybe Sarich on a 1 year deal. All those guys are horrible, MTL needs to sign one of Jackman, Allen, or Garrison. Those 3 are LD that can play with Subban.

Markov-Gorges
      Jackman/Allen/Garrision-Subban
      Kaberle-Emelin
      Daiz

• Chris says:

Given how well he partners Erik Karlsson, I really can’t see Ottawa letting Kuba go.

I can’t see Stuart wanting to leave Detroit.

I don’t have any feelings one way or the other about Sarich.

Carle would like to stay in Philadelphia, and they would like to keep him. The sticking point is that his agent wants something similar to the deal that Wisniewski got from Columbus.

Wideman is probably looking at a similar type of payout, while Suter is probably looking at $6-8 million per season.

Anybody Montreal signs on defence has to be with the knowledge that they are only here for 2-3 years at most because we’ve got a lot of young kids that need to have jobs available to them over the next 2 or 3 seasons.

With Subban, Gorges, Emelin and (most likely) Kaberle, the Habs have 4 defence spots locked up for next season. If Markov comes back, that makes 5.

I think the emphasis on defencemen is overstated. Montreal is sitting 13th in the NHL in goals against. If they had anything approaching a consistent offence that put pressure on the other team, than they could get by with what they have.

The Habs defence in 1993 was a mishmash of youngsters as well. Eric Desjardins (23), Patrice Brisebois (21), Lyle Odelein (24) and J.J. Daigneault (26) played in every playoff game. Kevin Haller (21) played in all but 3, while a committee of Rob Ramage (33), Mathieu Schneider (23), Sean Hill (22) and Donald Dufresne (23) filled in for less than half the games. While many of those guys would go on to long careers, they were mostly finding their legs and prone to mistakes that season. Fortunately, they had a deep group of forwards keeping pressure on the opposition and Patrick Roy covering up their mistakes.

• LA Loyalist says:

” …could get by with what they have.” Never thought I’d hear those words in the context of the Habs. I’m not knocking your analysis, it’s just sad, that’s all.

• matt jordan says:

I believe Stuart may leave Detroit as his family lives in San Jose, and he’s tired of the distance. From mlive.com:

“The Detroit Red Wings haven’t started contract talks with Brad Stuart because the defenseman hasn’t decided where his future lies — in Detroit or closer to his home on the West Coast.

If it were strictly a hockey-related decision, it would be easy, Detroit would be Stuart’s first choice. But his wife and kids, two young sons and a stepdaughter in high school, live in San Jose, and that is where they must stay.”

There you go. Stuart most definately will not be signing in Montreal

• matt jordan says:

Cory Sarich is a frequent healthy scratch on a weak Flames squad.

• Kooch7800 says:

I think they will make a pitch at Suter as they will have the cap room but I don’t see us getting him

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

To Play Markov or Not To Play Markov

There is a difference between Training for a season and rehabbing an injury. If the guy doesn’t get in a few games this season, he spends all summer in Rehab mode, hoping his knee is going to be okay.

@24Cups, I think you make brilliant posts here, but he has had almost 15-16months since the reconstructive surgery and rehab. That is plenty of time for that operation to regain the strength to play, if he can’t play now, then he can’t play in 6 months, cuz that means something is still structurally wrong.

Dr. Recchi, out.

• 44har48 says:

I’m concerned as well, probably more from a lack of solid information. He should have been healed by now but if he had a setback, there is really no telling, aside from speaking directly with his Dr., how long the recovery period could last now.

I’m just generally frustrated by losing a player of this caliber and having to eat the $$ against the cap.

So for me it comes down to this. Yes, we have $7.5M wrapped up or wasted in Gomez. Yes, we have $5.75M tied up in Markov, and yes we have another $4M+ tied up in useless Kaberle. We all see it, mgmt sees it, adn we are all aware of how much better this team would be if those $$s were spent wisely. What the hell are we going to finally do about it this summer?????

@Bripro, sorry to hear how your weekend plans worked, too bad we could have hit the local sports bar to watch Montreal Toronto, would have been great atmosphere, we could have invited Chuck to join us, would have been great.

In the meantime, happy Painting! Oh I can’t believe I just said that to a buddy.

43. rated_R says:

Ive always been supportive for Scott Gomez but i hope that’s the last time we see him wear the CH

44. JayK-47 says:

We’ve entered into a new chapter of our HIO careers. I call it “The Hullabaloo Over Huberdeau”

45. Jimmy9Toes says:

Proposed trade idea, we swap first rounders this year with Florida and through in a second rounder this year and next for Huberdeau.

• Seps says:

uhhhh, no. First off, you’re looking at Grigorenko Vs. a gambler (a 20th pick). Huberdeau has not shown he’s going to be a dominant player yet although he could be, and we’d be giving up early seconds which can develop into decent nhl players (Subban).

• nick says:

Until proven otherwise… Grigorenko and everyone draft pick out there is a gamble.

• Jimmy9Toes says:

The reason i am offering my .02 is that he is french and you know how everyone wants local hero’s, i.e. LL and BG.

• Seps says:

True, so really we’d be trading (as it stands now) a 3rd, a 33rd, and somewhere betweeen (30-60) for a 3rd and a 20th. I don’t know about you but that doesn’t seem worth it. But Bob McKenzie did say Yakupov and Grigorenko are on a whole different level than the rest of the draft and he’s in my mind the best analyst.

• Chris says:

In such a trade, you would be getting Huberdeau (whose offensive performance as a 17 year old last year was as good as Grigorenko’s has been this season) for the shot at Grigorenko.

The two second round picks would be in exchange for this year’s 20th pick, and that is a trade that most GM’s would take. Trading two seconds to get into the first round is exactly what Bryan Murray did last season for the Senators, where he picked Matt Puempel.

• jedimyrmidon says:

I’m sure Huberdeau will be a good player, but he’s still in juniors on a stacked team. I don’t see why the Habs would give up a potential top 3 pick + 2 2nd rounders (not to be underestimated by any means) for what amounts to pretty much the same type of player being drafted in the upcoming draft seeing as he hasn’t played an NHL or AHL game yet.

• Chris says:

In his trade proposal, you’re not trading a top 3 pick + 2 2nd rounders for the same type of player.

You’re trading a top 3 pick + 2 2nd rounders for last year’s 3rd overall pick plus an additional 1st rounder.

• jedimyrmidon says:

My bad, I read it took quickly and didn’t register swapping first rounders. Deal doesn’t sound quite so bad at all.

• Jimmy9Toes says:

Just read this on allhabs.
            Beaulieu’s teammate Jonathan Huberdeau racked up 21 points in 10 games for February’s first-star honours. Huberdeau, selected third overall in last year’s NHL Entry Draft by the Florida Panthers, recorded four game-winning goals out of his 11 across that span, as well as a +16 rating. He only needs one more point to reach the 200-point plateau in his QMJHL career.

46. HabFanSince72 says:

A few thoughts on Larry Robinson.

1. He has been treated shabbily by the organization recently. He apparently wanted to return as an assistant and was told thanks but no thanks. Presumably his resume lacks the essential condition these days: having been a member of the Ottawa Senators organization.

2. This oft-repeated idea that he can’t handle the stress of coaching. He coached the Devils to back to back Stanley Cup finals. Yes when he resigned after his second stint he cited health and stress reasons. Doesn’t mean those issues are still there.

3. You have to wonder whether there are cliques among ex-Habs. Why Gainey would snub Lemaire and Robinson in order to pick a guy like Jacques Martin is hard to fathom. Remember we bought out Martin from Florida (can you imagine someone paying you to take the coach/GM who never got you into the playoffs off your hands?) because he was a veteran and had a defensive system that would help Price. Hmm… veteran coach, defensively minded? Anyone come to mind? First name Jacques?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• ed lopaz says:

the Lemaire head coach, and Robinson assistant coach is DEFINITELY appealing to me.

Lemaire is a genious; a hockey gury, and one of the finest coaches in the history of the game.

Robinson mentoring our young d-men is a perfect fit

• LA Loyalist says:

I would cry if that happened. Lemaire was also smart enough to use Kovalchuk properly and not try and turn him into a 4th line grinder.

I’m serious, I would cry if that was announced. And I’ll probably cry if it’s NOT announced. And the sooner the better.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I believe that for it to happen Gainey would have to leave.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• The Cat says:

The way I heard was Robinson wasnt even answered. Robinson mentioned his interest and no one ever called him back.

• Chris says:

1. I agree with you…Robinson’s treatment has been odd. That being said, the way his agent portrayed the approach (going through Pierre Boivin) was also odd.

2. I agree that he might be able to. But given that knowledge, I think the Devils would have been happy to offer the head coaching position to Robinson over Peter DeBoer. That suggests to me that Robinson isn’t really all that interested in being a head coach at this point in his career. Like you say, it might have nothing to do with stress or pressure and just that he really doesn’t have much left to prove and wants to enjoy life on his own terms.

3. I don’t think there is any doubt that cliques amongst ex-Habs exist. Gainey and Carbonneau were clearly part of one cabal, although you have to wonder how strong their ties after Carbo got fired.

I mentioned it below, but I think that as much as we talk about the class of the Canadiens’ organization, they also have a pretty vindictive streak from management. Jacques Plante left the Habs and subsequently had to wait until 1995, 9 years after his death, to have his jersey retired. Doug Harvey, the best defenceman in the history of the team and frequently cited as one of the 10-15 greatest players in the history of the NHL, wouldn’t see his jersey retired until 1985. Like Plante, he did not finish his career in Montreal.

I’m probably grasping at straws, but there were certainly some players who seemed to garner more respect from the franchise than others.

• Cal says:

It seems like the ones who were free about communicating what they thought were given the heave-ho. On the other hand, these players were traded well after their peak seasons, so the Habs got what they could for them.

• LafleurGuy says:

Carbo was on Anglophone TV about 2 weeks after the coaching change, and mentioned he has not even spoken with Gainey.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• coutNY says:

“Presumably his resume lacks the essential condition these days: having been a member of the Ottawa Senators organization.”

Not sure he lacks any credentials, but don’t think he was ever a part of the Ottowa Senators organization?:
      Robinson was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1995 and is currently the assistant coach for the New Jersey Devils. He has also served as head coach for the Devils on two separate occasions, as well as for the Los Angeles Kings.

Coaching [notes]
      2001-02 New Jersey Devils NHL Head† 51 21 20 7 3 0.510
      2001-02 New Jersey Devils NHL Assistant‡
      2005-06 New Jersey Devils NHL Head† 32 14 13 5 0 0.516
      2007-08 New Jersey Devils NHL Assistant
      2010-11 New Jersey Devils NHL Assistant

• Chris says:

HabFan was being a bit sarcastic…the Habs have been obsessed with poaching the Senators administration for the past few years now. Pierre Gauthier, Jacques Martin, Trevor Timmins, and Frank Jay (senior amateur scout) were all formerly employed by the Senators..

• Les Canayens says:

I remember Lemaire, during his time as Devils’ coach, expressed no desire to re-become the Canadiens’ head coach, after what he lived through as one during the early 80′s.

▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭
      Scouting is subjective.

• LafleurGuy says:

JM got Ottawa into the 2007 Stanley Cup finals against Anaheim. This was after Chara walked away as an UFA for nothing. Chara had two 16 goal, and two 10 goal seasons for Ottawa in the 5+ seasons he played there.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• habstrinifan says:

Apparently Gainey wanted Lemaire but Lemaire wanted 2 million.. or too much money anyways if my figur eis wrong.

47. jedimyrmidon says:

So the Habs have a lot of promising D men coming up through the ranks, which is great news. We have Price in nets, and Markov, Subban and Gorges in front of him (though Markov may not be around by the time Tinordi and Beaulieu make the team). Hopefully, by picking high in the draft this year, they get a good winger/center that will be on the team for years to come.

What to do for next year concerning the D? This is neglecting the fact that the Habs hardly have any top 6 NHL forwards anymore, but the D has been a consistent problem all year. The Habs need one or two more strong physical D men. Having Campoli, Kaberle, Weber and Diaz has been a major source of trouble. It’s not that each in his own right is bad, but having them three of them out there each game is bad news. Campoli most likely will not be re-signed. Kaberle will in almost all certainty be here next season. Weber as well. Ideally, Diaz would go down to Hamilton and improve there for a while and could be called up when necessary. Weber can be used as a depth 7th defensemen or rotated in and out (it’s really too bad management gave him a one-way contract this year).

• LafleurGuy says:

We’re due for another Roman Hamrlik type UFA signing.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• ed lopaz says:

there are 2 huge reasons why the habs have given up 3rd period leads ALL FREAKIN SEASON.

neither reason has to do with goaltending – although price was much hotter last season than he is this season.

reason #1: our d-men are too soft

when the opposition forechecks and battles in front of the net, they never are made to pay the price – so they keep coming at us, relentless, and by the 3rd period, our soft d-men are worn down,
      but the opposition are stronger and as effective as they were since the outset.

reason #2: our 3rd and 4th line needs to be taking it to the other team and especially the other team’s defence.

just as our d-men get worn down, we need to wear down the opposition – with forechecking and battling for pucks in the corners and in front of the net.

In football, its called winning the battles in the “trenches”.

in football, most games are decided by whose “line play”, offensive and defensive line, can win the battle along the line of scrimmage,

in the 3rd period, we need to start winning the battles of the trenches,

our d-men need to be tougher, bigger, and stronger.

our checking lines need to wear down the opposition.

that will give us much more success in holding 3rd period leads

• jedimyrmidon says:

I’d say Subban, Gorges and Emelin are definitely not soft. The other half definitely is. But again, nothing wrong with pairing Diaz with a veteran physical guy. If we had another guy who could break up plays and be as positionally sound as Gorges that would be a great help to this team.

And I’m not sure Kaberle and Campoli get worn down so much as they simply cannot win battles in front of the net or in the corners at all. They also can’t position themselves defensively in front of Price instead just standing in the way, and being unable to clear a rolling/bouncing puck.

• Seps says:

I like your post, makes sense and I’ve been wanting a goonish defensemen like Staubitz for the past couple years for that very reason.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Staubitz is a forward though. But he does bring in toughness on the 4th line, which is great. Him and White for the rest of the season will provide that pushback.

• Seps says:

Wow, really. That’s embarrassing for me haha. I haven’t seen him play, just for some reason I thought he was D.

• bleedhabs81 says:

@seps, i made the same mistake. I think something was posted about him being a D when they picked him up… i read it somewhere here too.

I also made an unfortunate post about him playing D

• aroma says:

I think Diaz has shown more than Weber, especially considering the fact that this is Diaz’ first year in the NHL. Weber IMO is the one that should be moved. What the Habs lack are solid, robust fourth and fifth D’men. With that, Diaz would serve well as a sixth.

• jedimyrmidon says:

I like Diaz too. The thing is, between him and Weber, he was technically the one who could have been in Hamilton this season with his contract while Weber has a one-way deal.

I don’t think Weber is bad. I just think he has regressed and lost some confidence with being a healthy scratch quite often or put on as a forward (sort of like Eller currently).

So essentially, if there’s a way to keep both for the time being, I don’t think it would hurt at all since having extra D-men will prove useful.

48. secretdragonfly says:

A question for Mr. Boone – in your opinion, has the attendance by fans at the Brossard practices declined in proportion to the teams’ performance record?

• Timo says:

I remember one report from practice by Boone that there was only a handful of faithful in attendance instead of a usual hoard. Or maybe Boone was just drunk and went to a different rink and thought it was Brossard. YOu never know.

49. HabsFan82 says:

This is the way I would like to see it next year!

Cole – Desharnais – Pacioretty

Bourque – Plekanec – Gionta

L/W-scorer – Eller – R/W-scorer

Moen – White – someone even tougher than Staubitz

The “D” we can improve that at training camp.
    The Goaltending is solid. They need more help up front and on “D”

• habs-fan-84 says:

I like this.

• gordon bombay says:

What would be nice….

Cole – Desharnais – Pacioretty
      Yakupov – Plekanec – Gionta
      Bourque – Eller – Leblanc
      Moen – White – S.Thornton

Markov – Emelin
      Gorges – Subban
      Kaberle – Diaz

Price
      Budaj

But we know we will see…..

Cole – Desharnais – Pacioretty
      Bourque – Plekanec – Eller
      Gionta – Gomez – Moen
      Blunden – White – Palushaj
      Leblanc

Markov – Subban
      Gorges – Kaberle
      Diaz – Emelin
      Weber

Price
      Budaj

• jedimyrmidon says:

I’d like to see Markov-Emelin as well, but the Kaberle and Diaz pairing would be disastrous.

I’m not sure how Gorges would do with Kaberle. Gorges is good at positioning himself and all those things on his side. But if the puck ends up being passed to Kaberle, where does it go? Back to the opposition? And if they are the second pairing, that’s still pretty stiff competition they’ll be facing.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Pacioretty – Plekanec – Gionta
      ???????? – Eller – Cole
      Bourque – Desharnais – Leblanc
      Moen – Geoffrion – White

We can always go back to the current DD line but I´d like to see what he could do on the third line and what Eller could do on the second with better wingers. Pleks is still our number 1 center, no matter what RC does with him. Btw: Pacioretty plays LW, Cole RW. I don´t know why some here don´t seem to know that…

• Habsrule1 says:

Staubitz seems pretty tough. He’s won fights against some of the tougher guys in the league. I think if he can play just a bit, we should just hold onto him.

Go Habs Go!!

50. Dr.Rex says:

Markov looks more and more like MR.Bean every day.

All this Markov talk is making my head spin.

He’s missed 4/5 of the Habs last 250 games and we now want to let him play in the World Championships for Russia?

Not a chance in hell. Shut him down until training camp.

• Dr.Rex says:

ANy chance Eme makes the russian team?

• shiram says:

I still say if he gets clearance he should play some games this season.
      he really should not play at the World Championships though.

• 24 Cups says:

shiram – I respect the fact that there are two schools of thought on when Markov should return.

I just feel another six months of rehab outweighs any fan curiosity of seeing him play in our last dozen games which are totally meaningless.

• shiram says:

It’s not curiosity, I just feel the team needs to know how Markov performs on the ice, in a game setting, against another team. They need to know if he can be the #1D, man the PP and play PK as well as he did before.
          It’s information they need to have so they adjust the roster in accordance to his play.

• 24 Cups says:

shiram – I can see all of that but I’m not spending another cent on adjusting the roster if Markov can’t play. No trades, no giving up picks, no Kaberle hail marys. For me it’s simple, play Kaberle, take your lumps, and wait for Beaulieu to arrive in 2014.

BTW, someone mentioned we wouldn’t take this appraoch if Markov was a Canadian. I don’t see it that way. If this was Subban, I would say sit him down until training camp.

I’m probably in the small minority here on this issue but that’s how I see it.

• JayK-47 says:

International ice seems like the best sort of rehab to me.

• ed lopaz says:

totally agree with 24 cups on markov.

markov is barely skating now and is no where near where he wants to be.

if he takes another full 6 months off, he can re-hab at a perfect pace according to what his body needs.

there will be no question marks about his recovery.

shut him down.

• Un Canadien errant says:

24 Cups, there comes a time when rehab progresses to the point where you’re fully able and you return to normal duties. So as long as Andrei is fully 100% ready to return, as long as he’s not being rushed to meet an artificial deadline, as long as he performs at full effort during workouts and feels no discomfort, looseness, pain, then he’s ready, and six more months won’t be any more benefit. Some physiotherapists would argue that you will hinder progress and rehab if when he’s at that point you hold him out longer, just to be ultra cautious.

———————————
          How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• habs-fan-84 says:

Could not have said it better; evidence below.

• 24 Cups says:

Norman – Thanks for the info.

I also have an ulterior motive for Markov not playing during the last dozen games of the season. I’m petrified that the team might go on a winning streak and slip out of the lottery race. I know that’s a glass half empty approach, but it’s where I’m at right now after this disasterous season.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Definitely agree.

We need to see if he can play at this level again. We can not wait around all off season wondering if his knee is going to hold up next year. What if he gets injured 5 games into the season (next year)? We’ll be back to square 1 and have to make adjustments “on the fly”.

If he plays this year and gets re-injured he’ll be put on LTIR and we’ll get the cap space to make adjustments in the off-season. If he doesn’t get injured then all the better, at least we’ll know where he stands and can relax knowing he’ll be coming back at 100% next year.

Bottom line in my opinion is that the knee has to be tested before next season.

• joeybarrie says:

Why wouldn’t we want him to play?

• christophor says:

I’d be nice for him to get some hockey under his belt so he’s not out of action altogether for a year and a half.

Besides, WC hockey is less physical. If he hurts his knee on routine play in the WCs, maybe there’s a chronic problem with it. Gotta test it. If he survives, he’ll be ready sooner come next year.

If he does end up playing, fans will be mad, just like when he played in the Olympics. Whatever. If Markov were Canadian, no one would’ve been upset.

Let him play. It’s good for both sides (Russia and the Habs)

52. Dr.Rex says:

Lets not get carried away about Kaberle just because he had two assists on the PP and one of them was secondary to the play. His worth is quite low not only to our team but in the trade spectrum. This was made clear by the calue that Carolina received in return.

• ed lopaz says:

a player can not simply be judged based on statistics.

is plekanec a “bad” defensive player because his +/- is horrible this season??

obviously not.

if a d-man plays poorly WITHOUT the puck in his own zone, failing to take responsibility in the corners, failing to cover his man in front of the net,

he may be ‘saved” by great goaltending, but he is still playing like crap.

Kaberle is a terrible defenceman. Terrible.

Watch the freakin game, and put away the statistics.

Tomas Plekanec is one of the best defensive centers the Habs have had in their lineup since Guy Carbonneau, but his +/- would tell a completely different story.

Oh ya, and kaberle was acquired for 1 basic reason, to improve our power play.

When he arrived, we were ranked 28th PP in the league.

Today, the Habs power play is ranked….28th in league, even after last night.

if the Habs can trade Kaberle in the off season, maybe around draft day, that would be great.

• 24 Cups says:

Ed – It’s the same old song. There has to be some reason behind the fact that three teams have passed on this guy during the last 12 months.

Sadly, we will have to probably keep Kaberle around until we see what Markov can do next year.

53. smiler2729 says:

Just beat the Laffs.

I don’t care if we lose every other game ’til the end of the season, I want to win tomorrow and I want to win Game 82.

Putting a stake through their idiot playoff hopes will be too sweet.

For all the disgust and hatred I have toward all things Bruins, I, at least, have a grudging respect for their loudmouth fans cuz they’re the type you can have a beer or six with.

Laff fans are just moronic and ignorant, any hockey debate becomes like banging your head against a wall, they have no clue of hockey history when they start flapping their pie-holes.

Holy Mackinaw, may they fail forever!

__________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• habs001 says:

As long as you dont mind that we finish ahead of the leafs because if we beat them twice there is a real chance that this will happen…

• Dr.Rex says:

The Leafs are very vulnerable and fragile right now and if we play with the same recklessness we had last night then the Leafs will just roll over and wet themselves.

• smiler2729 says:

No kidding.

Phil Kessel voted by his peers as The Most Easily Intimidated Player (even ahead of the Sedins!) so basically Ryan White just has to look at him and he’ll disappear.

__________________________________
        Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• Chris says:

NHL players must really stink at intimidation given that the Sedins are good for 80-100 points per season each while Kessel is sitting pretty at 5th in the scoring race and 3rd in goals scored.

54. Mattyleg says:

A quick note for those below saying that Larry Robinson couldn’t hack it as coach…

I thought the same, until it was pointed out to me that Robinson’s brother died during Larry’s final season as head coach, which was the main reason for the stress that caused him to step down.

If this is in fact the case, then I’d love to have him as coach of the Habs.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Bripro says:

The only problem I see with that is if the team doesn’t perform, it will tarnish his image around here.
      Look at what happened to Gainey.

• Chris says:

Brian Robinson, Larry’s brother, passed away from cancer in 2004. Robinson was hired as the head coach of the Devils for the second time in summer 2005.

Not saying that the death of his brother wasn’t an issue, just that the timing isn’t quite what you stated.

I wonder if there still isn’t some residual bitterness over Robinson’s departure from Montreal, hence the “classless” failure to return his agent’s calls on the third occasion when they contacted the team. Things have not always been smooth between he and the team since 1989.

Robinson was publicly reprimanded by Jean Beliveau over reports that he had demanded of Serge Savard that his number be retired upon the completion of his career. In his autobiography, Robinson claimed that he was reminding Savard of a much-earlier promise and that the issue was taken out of context. Regardless, he suffered some PR damage over that time period.

• LafleurGuy says:

Wonder if you are Chris Goyens, author of the great read “Lions in Winter.”

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Chris says:

Nope, but that is a great book. Goyens also helped Robinson write his autobiography, “Robinson For the Defence”.

• LafleurGuy says:

And Holy Smokes! Reading and learning from your earlier post that Larry really wants to reconnect with the team and the apparent cold shoulder response burns my butt. 1989 is a long time ago. Thinking too about the disconnect the team has with Jacques Lemaire leads me to believe that the business side doesn’t genuinely believe the words or sentiment of “passing the torch,” and that you are “always one of us.”

“If ye break faith with us who die, we shall not rest, in Flanders Field.”

“May you live in interesting times.”

• LafleurGuy says:

Got ‘em both (brag), and of course the incomparable “The Game” (more bragging).

“May you live in interesting times.”

P.S. Have “Overtime,” (GuyLafleur). Comme ci, comme ca.

• Chris says:

LafleurGuy: If there is some grudge at play, I agree that it is time to finally bury the hatchet. The jersey retirement in 2005 was a big step in thawing the ice between the two sides. Hopefully, the team can find room under the tent for one of its greatest living players. A team ambassador/special development coach would not be remiss…Robinson has been good with young players in the past, and it would be great having somebody on the team working with the young kids we’re about to graduate to Hamilton over the next 2-3 seasons.

I’m a firm believer that the next head coach should be free to choose their own assistant coaches. If they want Robinson and he agrees, then so be it. I did find it a little odd that Robinson’s agent was contacting Pierre Boivin, as opposed to the GM (Gainey) or head coach (Carbonneau), while looking for an assistant coach position in 2008-09…Gainey and Carbonneau were former teammates of Robinson’s. The way that the request came in was a little surprising to me, but I’m not at all a hockey insider so perhaps this is how things often happen in the NHL.

• Cal says:

Goyens’ first name is spelled with a Y.

55. Bripro says:

So Gerry (HB), we had a trip to Burlington scheduled for his weekend.
    My wife, my son and grandson. She’s making all these plans…
    I thought I’d give you a call and have a coffee or drink together.
    Then she looked at me and said:
    “Well, I figured you’d paint the hallway since there’ll be no one home for three days…..”
    Do you hear that high-pitched whistle, followed by a KABOOM?
    No, it’s not the Habs tanking (yet).
    Just the reality that I can’t even enjoy a weekend to myself.

56. I love the look of our defense next year.

The perfect defensive pairings.

One offensive, one defensive, per set, and a 4th completely defensive.

Lookin Goooooooood!

They Call Me Shane
    “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
    Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

57. habs001 says:

Looks like 3rd year in a row we will finish in the bottom 3rd in league scoring..i am not sure we have enough nhl talent,prospect talent and potential draft talent to improve by that much next year without adding some nhl talent thru free agency or trades…

• Funny what missing Markov does to a team.

Add in his 40-50 assists and all that changes.

Take it to the Bank, cash it in, and spend it on property in PEI!

They Call Me Shane
      “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
      Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• habs001 says:

Can we expect markov to do that next year?..we cannot keep staying in the twenties position in scoring..the last 3 years i been seeing posts either before the season that we will do better the coming year or during the season that next year will be better and basically or goals for in relation to the rest of the league has not changed.

• Cal says:

Habs have scored 3 less goals than last year. The difference in the standings is because of goals allowed.
          Surprisingly, there are only 5 teams that average a little over 3 goals per game, with 3 more hovering close to 3. 7 of those teams are in the top 10 of the league.

58. Marcusman says:

So…..Larry Robinson must be our new coach this summer, no? His contract is up @ the end of the year, he speaks French , legend in Mtl, great for the young d-corp coming up, his agent said he wanted the job, is this all adding up? My guess he’ll be sitting at the draft table with PG.

• sanman_11 says:

I want him sitting at the draft table but don’t want PG there!

I’m a HABS fan not a Leaf blower.

• habs03 says:

He can’t handle being a Head Coach, he had to step down in New Jersey as Head Coach because of stress. Imaging in MTL, he said he would like to be ast coach only..

• DorvalTony says:

He won the Stanley Cup as head coach. After the death of his brother he took some time off. After a period of time he returned to the organization, eventually as assistant coach and adviser to Lamorello. He chased Gainey for eighteen months to work as d coach with le Canadien and Gainey would not even return his calls. It’s time for Larry to come home. He can wave goodbye to the rotting corpse of the Gainey regime.

As well as put to bed myths and misinformation about him “not handling” anything. He can handle it. He’s Larry Robinson, Hall of Famer.

Larry as head “handling” coach and Lemaire as GM.

“Okay everybody take a Valium.” – Rene Levesque

• Cal says:

Couldn’t handle being a head coach in NJ, but would gladly have him be the D coach.

• Chris says:

I may have missed a newer development, but I have not seen anywhere that Larry Robinson’s agent indicated he was interested in a head coaching job, in Montreal or otherwise.

Robinson, through his agent, did express interest in assistant coaching positions with Guy Carbonneau and twice with Jacques Martin. Failing that, he expressed interest in a team ambassador position similar to those held by Lafleur, Beliveau, H. Richard, Cournoyer and Houle.

Robinson quit his head coaching gig with the New Jersey Devils due to stress-related health concerns in 2005 and hasn’t returned to a head coaching position since. Perhaps he feels he has a handle on stress now, but I have a feeling he would not be willing to take the head coaching spot in Montreal due to the intense pressure. At this point in his life and career, he quite simply does not need that kind of pressure.

• avatar_58 says:

Yes please

59. shiram says:

Gotta love PK’s attitude, he played 30 minutes last night, and he still taking part in the practice next morning.
    I like his enthusiasm for the game.

60. joeybarrie says:

So I’m gonna say something very unpopular. I don’t dislike Kaberle on our team. I offer a few explanations. First, he is an offensive defenseman. He is not a shut down D. PK has 65 giveaways and Kaberle has 31. He is a -7 for us which isn’t great, but he usually plays with Campoli. Put him with Gorges and we see a different story. I’m not saying he is excellent, but consider this.
    With Kaberle we have 22 PP goals. Without we have 13. Our PP is at 17% with him compared to 11% without. With that same percentage in the games Kaberle didn’t play with us we would have 176 goals for. Good for 6th in the East. Our Goal differential would be -5 good for 7th in the east. We wouldn’t be in any great spot. But my point is that if used correctly Kaberle can be a very good addition. Yes he is a bit expensive for what he brings, but we have him. And if I remember correctly it was not that long ago everyone wanted us to pick him up from Toronto.
    Our problem this season is in fact soft D. However let me ask you this. Who picks up Kaberle expecting him to help bring in strong, solid and shut down D? No you expect him to bring in offensive numbers. Well he put our PP into the middle from the basement. (for the time he has been here). He leads our D in points and is on pace for a 46 points season with us.
    Basically what I’m saying is add Markov and another capable shut down D and we will see a lot change.
    He doesn’t play on the PK, and we still are great at that. I think its simply a matter of using him better.
    What would you think of him if he ends this season with 38 points and minus 8? How would we rate those stats as one of our D players?

What we need next year is a Healthy Markov which in turn turns Kaberle into a desired commodity, just as he did to Komo.

• joeybarrie says:

Exactly. I feel like despite the overblown salaries we have given a few guys a bad rap cause they are expected to play a way they shouldn’t be. All of a sudden we LOVE Spacek in here but I can remember when everyone wanted him gone cause he was too old, slow, soft blah blah blah. But he was playing minutes he shouldn’t have been. And to be honest him and Hamr played great together.

• Mattyleg says:

As I was saying about AK:
          People tend to blame the target of their expectations rather than their expectations themselves.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Un Canadien errant says:

Let me be clear. I don’t love Spacek, not all of a sudden, not last season, not since he was signed, not before he was signed. And I strongly dislike Tomas Kaberle for being emotionless and not playing with effort. I never liked him, even in his ‘good’ years with Toronto, our forwards used him as a turnstile back then too. So no matter how many points he brings, he costs us twice as many, and he costs us in cap hit too. We didn’t lose much in the trade, but we ended up with a bigger mess.

———————————
          How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• jmsheehy19 says:

I’ve been arguing till I’m blue in the face that Kaberle isn’t the plague many have made him out to be, citing many of the statistics you just did, only to see the same vitriol aimed his way.

But as Twain said (I think), “never let facts get in the way of a good story.”

• habs-fan-84 says:

hopefully Markov and Kaberle are NOT paired together next year.

• Mattyleg says:

They’d just pass it back and forth along the blueline, setting each other up for a shot that will never come!
          ;)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Stev.R says:

I saw Kaberle take a shot last night and was impressed. His shot is pretty decent, he should use it more

• Chris says:

Stev.R: That’s always been the issue with Kaberle. His shot is surprisingly good (especially when you factor in that he uses a tiny hockey stick!), but he just refuses to shoot too often.

The weird thing was that he always seemed to shoot against Montreal throughout his career, as evidenced by the fact that he scored 15 goals in 67 career games against the Habs, a much higher scoring rate than against the rest of the league (71 goals in 900 games).

• Kooch7800 says:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and it should be respected. For me though, Kabby is too soft for me and makes a lot of mistakes in his own end and is not worth 4.5 mill against the cap. If he was making 2 mill a season or even 3 I wouldn’t mind but he makes way too much cash.

I would agree he is being used incorrectly and the same goes for PK. No 2nd year D man should be logging 30 minutes a game. PG made some big blunders on our back end this season and it cost us a lot of games

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• shiram says:

At least the kids are getting alot of big league experience.
        Well Diaz and Subban anyways, Weber is not getting a very nice season.

• joeybarrie says:

Agreed to some extent. But a consistent 40+ point D in this league goes for a lot.
        You are dead right about PK, but its excellent experience in a dead year.
        Biggest mistake in my mind was not re signing Hamr. But we had planned on Markov playing.
        We still need a big scorer. Someone who can get 35-40. Someone who can complete a 2nd line. Once we got our top 3 lines and a more solid D we will see a huge difference.
        And we hope to draft a GEM this year.

• Cal says:

Stop with the facts. We go with emotions here.

• krob1000 says:

I am going to agree and disagree at the same time…I do not mind Kaberle adn I fully aprreciate the things he brings and I understand the things he does not bring.
      I think the issue is our D as a whole, we have too many offensive guys and no grit and Kaberle being the most expensive of those and a past Leaf /Bruin makes him the lightning rod.
      As a point man he is not unlike Markov on the pp…he has always made whoever plays on the right with him better BUT we do not have a one timer there…so that is half of his ability taken from him…he had the ability to make the cross seam pass and put the puck on the right point mans stick right in the wheelhouse. As its stands he has to switch with Subban at the top and without a legit shotting threat from the other side as well (and/or a right handed threat down low) it becomes too predictable.
      If we had Streit or even Souray bombing away from back there it would be a different story. Having no right handed one time threat down low hurts too and allows the pk and goalie to cheat.
      Kaberle is still better than any other option the Habs have right now. I do not think his hit against the cap is that bad personally…I think it is fair for what he brings…..I just question how it works with the Habs now that I have seen it and with what our d consists of. Perhaps Markov can be the one timer and we can have two pp geniuses back there….but Markov would have to be the shooter and play the right.

61. LafleurGuy says:

Good fun on the previous thread. What a difference winning makes. Hope it’s not another two weeks for high spirits. From the Grasping-At-Straws files, good to hear Travis Moen will be joining “Captain” Gorges, and “I Have A Five Hole?” Price at autographing. Need him next year.

“May you live in interesting times.”

So win game = Practise, lose game = No Practise,
    This does have Tank written all over it!

Okay, obviously none of us want to see Gomez have a serious eye injury, but our LTIR # right now could be higher than our current caphit!

64. Nova Scotia Voyageurs says:

Hello all
    Wondering if someone could clarify why Montreal did not place Markov on IR sometimes during the season….what is the draw back on doing so?

Thanks

65. habs03 says:

I have no doubt, about Plek coming back to form next year with Gionta back. But IMO next year we need Eller to step up like DD did this year. We don’t have a legit number 1, so we need all 3 guys to do it, if Eller can step up next year and give us a 15-20 goal/40-45 points season, he’ll be more than fine with Plek-DD-Eller down the middle.

• shiram says:

Plekanec still needs another top 6 winger, I feel like Bourque is not cutting it for such a role, but that he would be great with Eller.
      Eller getting better line-mates will improve his game.

• habs03 says:

Your right, I think Bourque was brought in to replace AK, plays 3rd line and can step up incase of injuries, we have to holes two on the wing to fill in. A LW with Plek and Gio, and possible another RW with Eller and Bourque. Hopeful a UFA or our top pick can fix that.

• Mattyleg says:

How does DD not qualify as a #1 center?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• habs03 says:

We’ll I see him and Plek as interchangeable.

Edit: oh you mean how is DD not a number 1 Centre, we’ll IMO a number 1 C is some like Stamkos, Malkin,Crosby, Sedin, Toews..

• Mattyleg says:

So, a #1 draft pick.

In that case, there are about 20 or so teams in the NHL without a #1 Center.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• habs03 says:

ya, not many true number 1 centre, that is why I think its important to have 3 good ones, the Bruins don’t have a top centre, but they have 3 really good ones.

• Kooch7800 says:

I think Bourque will be back in form next year for around 27 goals. he has been tossed around in lines like it is going out of style (similar to AK). I don’t dislike him like some. I think he will be a nice asset to the team

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• shiram says:

I just think that with the centers we have it’s important to have great wingers to make the lines overall better. I don’t mean to diss Bourque, but he has not shown the consistency to play top minutes.
          He’ll be great on a third line.

66. HabFanSince72 says:

What would it take to get Huberdeau from Florida?

Let’s say we pick 3rd.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• OneTimer says:

3rd overall for Huberdeau straight up? Or with a Weber-like throw in?

• awesomerino says:

Frankly, I’d prefer Mikhail Grigorenko, but I get why Huberdeau is the savvier marketing choice. Thing is, Florida probably knows that, too, which would give them all the leverage in negotiations.

Filip Forsberg would also be a great choice, especially because he already plays against grown-ups in the SEL, and is presumably that much more NHL-ready as a result.

67. HabsFan82 says:

Great night for the little guy DD, I would hang on to him. comes to play every game a great little player and never complains. Give him a raise PG he deserves it.

68. Can’t wait to watch Markov at the 2012 World Championships.

Don’t even think about Andrei!!!!

They Call Me Shane
    “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
    Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

69. slychard says:

If Markov can play effectively in the last 10 or so games this season it’ll be a great relief and a load off many minds for the next season.

Off to work now. Cheers.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• habs03 says:

I hope he plays in the Worlds also. Nothing bad can happen, he plays, gets in shape mentally for next year, he gets hurt, we know he’ll be on the IR or he’ll retire (insurance money), and we can spend that cap space elsewhere.

70. shiram says:

Cole needs to practice his Emelin avoidance skills.
    All centers need to practice their faceoffs.
    Pleks wingers need practice being top 6 wingers.
    White needs to practice his acting, I could see him do some head and shoulders commercials.

71. coutNY says:

“lot more ease than we’ve seen before”
    Before, meaning they’ve built a new and improved Markov that is even better than the Markov prior to injury? Playoffs here we come! ;-)

72. Cal says:

Markov, if ready, must play. That’s why he’s paid the big bucks.

If Markov can play some games injury and pain free, he gets to spend his summer Training for next season, instead of Rehabbing for next season. A huge mental difference.

I think he must play some games this year.

74. Mattyleg says:

Woah woah woah, what talent have we given up on?
    Don’t tell me you think that Grabs and SK and a number of other deadbeats would have done better here…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

75. Mr_MacDougall says:

I think you are DD’s biggest fan! He is playing great, he Cole and Patch would be a great second line on a contender. I like how calm he is under pressure, very accurate passing and concise decision making.

76. secretdragonfly says:

Uh oh, does that qualify as racism under the HIO posting guidelines? Don’t get me wrong, it’s funny :)

77. caladin says:

+ 1

____________________

Keep Hope Alive

78. habsfan1001 says:

great idea

79. Nova Scotia Voyageurs says:

We would go from suck the movie to suck the sequel……

More importantly remember them outbidding us for Komisarek and giving him a No Trade Clause and a No Movement Clause!

81. habsfan1001 says:

untill he met the Alien ‘ the puck

82. HFX-HabFan says:

Don’t forget Jared Knight

83. Mattyleg says:

Or when they had a 45-minute tear-jerker for Tie Domi?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

84. habs-fan-84 says:

I’d take Kessel for Seguin straight up, but throw in Dougie Hamilton and it’s another story.

85. jedimyrmidon says:

What a disaster. They gave picks to a team in their own division (and the Habs division) worthy of a rebuild effort… and the Bruins won the Cup without their help. They won the Cup and still had a top 10 pick in the same year.

And trading them Rask for Raycroft. So they gave Boston a future goalie too. Good job, Burke.

86. habsfan1001 says:

i remember when the leafs won the the Cup believe it or not

87. Mr_MacDougall says:

Habs core is Markov, Subban, Price, and Plekanek.

88. Mr_MacDougall says:

Wow, Koivu is VERY under-rated. He led the Olympic Games in scoring while bringing Finland to the Gold medal game in 2006 also led the World Championships in scoring in 1999 while leading Finland to the Gold Medal game. He is one of few NHL players that increase their point production in the playoffs. Saku was a career point per game player while with the Habs.

I will end by saying he captained a team that was poorly put together.

89. punkster says:

Find a hole, a very deep hole.

Crawl into it and pull a big rock over the opening.

Stay there.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

90. boing007 says:

Twit.

Richard R

91. The Jackal says:

Aaaand you just lost all your credibility.

92. Bill says:

10th all-time leading scorer for the Montreal Canadiens. Guy ahead of him was named Boom-Boom.

2nd longest-serving captain. Guy ahead of him was named Jean Beliveau.

Serious or troll?

Full Breezer 4 Life

93. Un Canadien errant says:

Now here we all were, having a nice conversation on a Friday night, I’m watching the hockey game with one eye and playing Sugar’s “Copper Blue” pretty much full volume, things are good, and you go and get all aggro and provocative and demean the career of a fine Canadien who persevered valiantly through the desert of the Réjean Houle years.

dtoight, why so angry? Try a warm bath, some eucalyptus oil, a scented candle, perhaps the loving touch of another human being.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

94. kholdstare says:

He was a joke of a captain? Do you even watch hockey? That is the most rididculous thing I have ever read on here, and that is saying quite a bit. Here’s some harsh reality for you, you suck.

95. Un Canadien errant says:

Personally, I don’t really mind the Leafs anymore, now that they don’t have Darcy Tucker and Tie Domi and Wade Belak and all the other no account goons and pluggers on their team. Purely in terms of watching hockey, they’re a good team, they skate hard, they just need more bodies and goaltending.

What I do enjoy is watching the Toronto Hype Machine trip all over itself to inflate their potential at the start of the season, and then switch into witch-hunt mode when the puck drops.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

96. Bill says:

Good response to a head-scratcher of a post.

Full Breezer 4 Life

I think you hit on the important point for me as well. I suppose my own fault for living “in the center of the hocky universe”, but indeed the Hype Machine gets annoying.

Grabovski has played very well for them. The issue Burke faces is that he may need to overpay or give much term in the contract to keep him. He has been a good teammate his time in Toronto. I think he matured a great deal after leaving Montreal.

99. Mr_MacDougall says:

His best line as a Habs was Koivu/Recchi/Corson. Who else? Brian Savage? Ryder?

Joe Juneau, Richard Zednik, Andreas Dackell, Jan Bulis, Higgins Ryder

I’m going to be a bit of a hard ass on this point.

The laffs losing since 1967 is just as bad as us losing since 1993. We state that we’re the Habs, a team of class and tradition. That means we need to step up more than the other teams in the league.

Right now, that means squat. Time to face the music.

101. Bill says:

Petrov? Bure??

Full Breezer 4 Life

102. Habitall says:

KRC was a very good line — while it lasted. Someone got injured, not sure who, and it all ended. But when they started they were lighting it up.

103. habstrinifan says:

You are absolutely right!

104. jedimyrmidon says:

Hmm, I wouldn’t consider not winning since 1993 as bad as not winning since 1967. There’s almost 3 decades of difference there. In more recent terms, the Leafs haven’t even made the playoffs post-lockout. Now, you could dismiss making the playoffs saying that it means nothing at all unless you win the Cup, but that would be extremely harsh and a bit arrogant, I think.

105. kholdstare says:

Why are you listening to Sugar?

106. Un Canadien errant says:

Got tired of somafm.com . Longer answer above.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

107. Un Canadien errant says:

kholdstare, I think you said recently that something I wrote was the “most rididculous thing I have ever read on here”. Am I mistaken? Has my post been dethroned? Or are you big on hyperbole?

If you’re serious, can I refer you to any post by Habs17 for other contenders.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

108. kholdstare says:

You also think Koivu was a terrible captain, which means you know absolutely nothing.

109. kholdstare says:

Haha I did, thats why I said it is saying quite a bit, I liked the references though, I will check these guys out as well. I am sure you will regain it at some point, keep fighting.

110. Mr_MacDougall says:

If DD is a keeper, I agree one of Pleks or Eller has to be dealt, but only if it is with a package for a Number One.

111. Mr_MacDougall says:

Dont you think, with their budget they’s prefer a package that includes Eller, one of our top prospects, and/or our 2012 first?