Multimedia from Friday practice

Jacques-Martin1

Audio from Jacques Martin

Head coach Jacques Martin said, “without pointing fingers, an issue in the loss to the Islanders was the number of scoring chances the Cnaadiens allowed.

“In the 13 or so games since Pittsburgh,” the coach added, “we kept scoring chances under 12.”

That wasn’t the case on Long Island.

And the Canadiens will have to tighten up against the red-hot Rangers.

1. punkster says:

Attended the Bulldogs game but not much to say about them.
    - 4 players made an impression, worked hard and exhibited good skills (Leblanc, Avtsin, DiSimone and Blunden, in that order)
    - the rest were pretty well ho hum
    - The team has no defence to speak of and only one D man who can actually move the puck up ice (Callahan)
    - goaltender Lawson played a Halakian game (in that he allowed almost every shot to rebound straight out to the front of the net)
    - honourable mention to Alex Henry for hanging in the game this long (though he will never, ever get to the Habs…ever)
    - plain to see that the Habs have drained that tank for now

I attended the game with Andrew Berkshire and expect he can give us a more complete view.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

2. Trisomy 21 says:

Sucks that Markov’s return is still delayed. What annoys me is how the organization was saying they knew all along he wouldn’t start the season. Oh yeah? and you knew he wouldn’t play in November too? Admit it, you had no idea when Markov would be ready when you resigned him. Hope this contract doesn’t blow up in our face.

3. Psycho29 says:

Hey what’s happening in Summit land tonight???
    Can’t wait for tomorrow, will join up with you at the Bell Centre in time for the HOF and the tour!!!!

Go Habs Go!!!!!

4. Shane1313 says:

Hey, How bout some positivity going into tommorow’s game!
    We’ve been great of late. Not the tighest defensively last night, but we’ll tighten up and get a win tommorow. Pac’s in the scoring race!

5. HabFab says:

Brian Wilde asking Jessica to ask White when he is coming back. Number of younger Habs at the game cheering on old team mates;

Ask White if he needs until xmas for hernia recovery.”@JessRusnak: #habs at bulldogs:. Subban, pac, white, desharnais, palushaj, engqvist”

Jessica Rusnak
    @BrianWildeCTV I’ll see if I can get anything out of him.

6. HabFab says:

Hockey Futures updates their Organization Rankings, we drop from 20th to 24th;

• Bill says:

Yeah, well if Palushaj is really our fifth best prospect, they may have a point. Also Weber is fourth, and he’s not really a “prospect” at this point.

Full Breezer 4 Life

7. PrimeTime says:

I’m pretty confident that the HIO Occupiers rarely watch other regular season NHL games other than Hab games. They have zero idea how others teams win or lose from game to game. All they measure is how the Habs do against their last opponent and base opinions on the next game and the season. The Non-Occupiers and those that make a career of studying the NHL as a whole have a much better perspective. Knowledge is power……Ignorance is, well, ignorant. Anyone who is only willing to see one side based on their biases is short changing themselves and their team. There is a forest behind that tree and yes there is a noise. Open your eyes and look beyond your biases and you may appreciate your team much more learning that the pluses and minuses are never as big as you may feel.

8. Habfan4lfe says:

Wouldn’t it be great to come here and see the headline:

Jacques Martin and Pierre Gauthier Fired! Time for another Stanley Cup Montreal!

9. HUDSONHAB says:

Just tell me it’s all going to be o k.

….Hab4life….

10. habstrinifan says:

Wishing the ‘summiteers’ a great weekend. Wish I were there.

Enjoy the banter, drink enuff to let the sing-alongs and ‘know-it-all’ rants be loud and hearty.

May I contribute my PLAGIARIZED and butchered adaptation of one of the greates ‘angst’ songs ever, Mrs. Robinson by Simon and Garfunkel.

Sing along to the tune of Mr Robinson and relive the happier days.. and hope….

==============================================

I call to YOU, Mr. Robinson
    PG needs you more than you will know (wo wo wo)
    Come coach us please Mr Robinson
    Teach our kids to play like you I pray
    (Hey, hey, hey…hey, hey, hey)

We’d like to show our D a bit about you for our files
    We’d like to have you show them how yourself
    Look around you, all you see are pleading eyes
    Stroll behind our bench until you feel at home

I call to YOU, Mr. Robinson
    PG needs you more than you will know (wo wo wo)
    Come coach us please Mr Robinson
    Teach our kids to play like you I pray
    (Hey, hey, hey…hey, hey, hey)

Draw it on a chalkboard like no one here ever does
    Put it in their skillset with your will-to-win
    It’s a little magic, just the Robinsons’ flair
    Most of all, you’ve got to teach it to the kids

Coo, coo, ca-choo, Mr Robinson
    PG needs you more than you will know (Wo, wo, wo)
    Come coach us please, Mr. Robinson
    Teach our kids to play like you I pray
    (Hey, hey, hey…hey, hey, hey)

Sitting on a sofa on a hockey afternoon
    Going to the HIO site’s debate
    Cry about it, shout about it
    When you’ve got the Count to choose
    Ev’ry way you look at it, we lose

Where have you gone, you Forum ghosts
    Habs nation turns their lonely eyes to you (Woo, woo, woo)
    What’s that you say, Mr. Robinson
    Le Gros Bill has left and gone away
    (Hey, hey, hey…hey, hey, hey)

============================================

11. The Dude says:

In the good old days your best player would hopefully pot in 50 or more goals in a season… now you get over 7 mil per season for not scoring goals in 50 games,lol . wtf,eh?

12. habfanacrossthed says:

I found a trade that could work for all teams involved. Edmonton trades Ales Hemsky and his 4.1m contract to LA. LA ships D Penner and his 4.25m contract to MTL. Scott Gomez and Yannick Weber, D. Dietz to Edmonton, A. Avstin and a 2nd rd this year to LA.
    LA could throw a Brandon Kozun to Edm. Mtl would end up with D. Penner and possibly Linus Omark or a terrible contract in Gilbert Brule in return.

GHOD – Go Habs Or Die

13. Mr. Biter says:

Hey I need help ASAP. I have my daughter here and she is a computer whiz so where do I go to get an Avatar picture.

Mr. Biter

14. chilli says:

Had the Habs come back to tie, really a few great saves by Dipietro from that happening at the end, all the talk would be what a great comeback we had.

The team isn’t that great right now – but for those complaining about management – the team we have on the ice is not the team management put together for us this season. They put together a team that was to include Markov, Campoli, Spacek, Big Tits, White and Gill. None of those guys skated last night.

If we had them all back, totally different team. And a good one.

Gomez is lost. He is trying hard but gripping the stick and he feels the pressure. He cares a lot and is trying – but he really does suck right now.

I for one, am not counting on Markov to save the day. A guy unfit to play the last 2 years and unfit to handle any contact right now – will not save the day for this team.

Martin, for all the bashing he takes, is a winner. Top 10 wins all time of NHL coaches. He brought us to a place where 3 teams were standing 2 years ago and a game 7 from the eventual champions last year. I don’t think we would have won the cup last year had Chara’s size 21 skate not accidentally blocked a shot in OT…. but who knows.

This is what I know for sure: Martin knows a hell of a lot more of now to coach this team that you bozos.

Go Habs.

Tre

15. Mattyleg says:

I can’t reply (phone) to you directly HfinL, but I wouldn’t put Gomer at centre. He goes in on the left and stays there. LW all the way.

16. Hab lover in leafnation says:

So im not crazy in thinking eller is getting screwed.

I love dooey (desharnais), and nothing to take away from him but if eller played with the gus dooey has, eller wouldnt disappoint. I just hope JM doesnt destroy him or turn him into some careeer 3rd liner. He has a tonne of skill (look at that snipe against boston on home ice this year, and is
    Strong on the puck in the corners qith good hands)

The reality is gomez isnt going anywhere via trade, buyout, minors or demotion to 4th line. He looks so good at being bad and ineffective. Gain the zone great. Bust back to the bench and change.

So if thats the case throw
    Doeey on the wing and role pleks, eller and gomeZ down the middle.

An figures ak gets injured s he and his line are carrying the team with moen n eller

• neumann103 says:

“I love dooey (desharnais), and nothing to take away from him but if eller played with the gus dooey has, eller wouldnt disappoint. ”

I think you will find a lot of agreement. This is a point that many including Mike Boone have made.

And while Eller seems like a trooper and will play where he is told, he is much more of a natural Center than Desharnais, and if you had to move one of them to the wing it should be Desharnais…unless you were putting Eller on wing on the #1 line.

I think that Eller has the potential to be an assist monster, probably never a big goal scorer himself.

I would like to see this line deployed when healthy
      AK46 Eller Cole

“Et le but!”

17. habs11s says:

very classy Recchi…

____________________________________________________

18. Bill says:

I wasn’t that upset with the game last night. I think with Diaz, Emelin, Weber, and St. Denis as four of your D-corps, you’re bound to have some defensive hiccups, and that’s exactly what happened. Factor in that Subban has been inconsistent this year, and that Gorges’s heart makes us somewhat overrate his defensive skills. Budaj was not stellar either, though I am not faulting him, given the AHL squad defending him.

Habs could’ve won with a little luck actually. Tomorrow will be a bigger test.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• EricMelvin says:

I agree, a quick look at the standings tells you that the league really is approaching the dreaded “P” word. If JM was losing consistently with a full roster I’d believe the HIO hype, but he and the team are competing consistently with a rotating top six and a very young D corps. Our Alaskan Albatross notwithstanding, things aren’t looking so bad.

• Clay says:

Agreed Bill. And what I liked most was that there was no quit in the team at all. Fought until the final whistle…

I still can’t explain why Gomez was out as the extra attacker though…

__________________________
      “Talent is a gift from God, but you only succeed with hard work. Yvan was proof of that.” – Jean Beliveau.

19. habsperspective says:

Poll.

RDS saying the coach said no Markov till atleast there western trip to California. So 6-7 minimum more games, probably longer.

Who will make there season debut first. Markov or Crosby?

And whos more likely to get re-injured first. Or finish there career. Can we honestly believe that with the length of the time of these injuries a 24 year old will play another 10-15 years?

• Sotxhabsfan says:

I’m not sure who will be back first, but I don’t think either of them will play more than a season or two more.
      I hope I’m proven wrong, because the league is better with both of them in it.

20. Mattyleg says:

Looking forward to tonight! I’ll be in around 9:45 or 10. Have I said that already?

21. Hab lover in leafnation says:

Can someone help me rationalize the following:

- The PP which is usually an asset has been in the bottom quarter of the league for how long, but JM refuses to change anything (i.e., pleks on point, subban on first wave, eller any time at all)

-why does eller always get the shaft, at thia rate if the poor guy doesnt raise his voice, he’ll end up in hamilton it seems if it were up to JM
    I truly believe Eller is one of our best all around players, when ha he gotten to play centre and with skilled wingers for morethan a period. Look how effective he is when the moen and kostitsyn combination is in effect. No other player has made a line as offensively effective woth moen, dating back to last year whenthey played together

Ultimately the players have to play, but honestly, we have the makings of a solid hckey team, but for me it seems JM just has no clue how to arrange his talen. Hes stuck in his ways and lacks any creativity offensively.

• neumann103 says:

The only conclusion I can draw is that Eller dated Jacqueline Martin, the lovely twin sister of our beloved coach and promised to call her afterwards… and DIDN’T!

“Et le but!”

• jo_maka says:

Something is rotten in the State Of Canadiens, so he waxes desperate with imagination……
      _________________________________
      Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

22. Habitoban says:

Anyone have any thoughts on what’s up with Darche? Not that he’s a major talent, but he’s not the same player he was last year (remember the PHD line). Maybe he never bounced back from the abdominal surgery he had over the summer. Just wonderin’.

Is there anyone at Hurleys yet? Just got in town, slinging back a pint at Sir Winston Churchill,

No Markov till Dec, if the 1st week that is great news.

24. Rudy says:

I called Hurley’s and they said no for the 16 year old. Anyone able to come up with a fake I’d in 24 hrs :)
    Not happy :(

25. twilighthours says:

Someone posted some random rumor about Lombardi and Komisarek for Gomez. I would do that trade. I would so, could so, Goat-I-is, I would now trade that Scott Gomez.

It’s even sweeter now that Komi and Lombardi are hurt. What a deal! Burke gets a player who can play now, and we take his injury/salary issues off his plate.

Pull the trigger.

26. slamtherimtim says:

can someone tell me why it would not have been smarter to put markov on the LTIR and save the cap space , mabe the same with campoli

thanks

27. Hobie Hansen says:

I saw some chatter below about Mike Milbury so I decided to sound off a bit.

That HNIC crew on Saturday nights is Godawful!

PJ Stock might not be a bad guy but he isn’t made for television or radio. He’s awkward, fumbles for words constantly and he may on a rare occasion say something insightful. However, the majority of time he’s reaching real bad and the other jerks on the show have to refrain from rolling their eyes, as do the thousands of viewers at home.

Mike Milbury is a pierce of trash. He does nothing but insult and call people names that don’t fit his “macho” prototype. HE acts tough and talks down to people that don’t agree with him on the air. He did it to Pat Hickey on NESN, and he does it to the other reporters on CBC. That schtick might work for Don Cherry cuz the players have always like him but I’m sure most players think Milbury is an ass! I’m really surprised something hasn’t blown up on the air with somebody clocking him in the face.

Kelly Hrudey is a nice guy. He knows the game far more than any of us here ever will. But his spacey, good hearted attitude doesn’t float when he’s sitting there a group assholes who are dumb themselves. Mainly Stock and Milbury.

And finally there’s Ron MacLean. This guy has become so accustomed to covering Don Cherry’s tracks that he is actually sounding like he believes half the crap that comes out his and Don’s mouth. He is extremely smart and you have to wonder how he has allowed Saturday night to come to this?

It is seriously time for CBC to shuffle the deck.

• EricMelvin says:

The only things CBC should have ever held onto were the song, Dave Hodge and the Peter Puck cartoons…

• New says:

One day Dave Hodge predicted the future of HNIC by throwing his pen up and saying “…and that’s the way things go these days in sports and on this network…Good Night from HNIC”. CBC let him go and lost a talent who actually understood there is more to an intermission than talking to paid hockey people. Today CBC is consumed with talking about what CBC staff think or believe rather than what is occurring. It is natural that the hockey department would reflect that mindset.

• Clay says:

Personally I think Milbury is being groomed to replace Cherry when he retires or dies off…really, who better? Replacing one cantankerous a-hole with another cantankerous a-hole is a no brainer for the CBC I guess…

But yeah, your post is spot on.

__________________________

28. RobertAlanFord says:

Its about that time when the armchair GMs put their “move everybody cards” out on the table. Fair enough….. here’s mine ;P

Replace either the coach, GM, or both so that their strategies are on the same page. What I see is the man upstairs building a team for speed and offense when the guy downstairs is calling a more conservative and collapsing strategy which requires size and grit. If you’re gonna play JM’s game you have to give him the right tools. Guys Like Cammalleri drown in these systems.

I’d like to see what Hartley could do with this team but if we’re gonna stick with JM, we gotta build from the back to front. As much as it breaks my heart, Cammalleri, Kostitsyn and Gionta would have other GMs drooling and ready to give up a lot. This is when you can start dreaming about Shea Webers or whatever big guy with some skill your heart desires. These guys aren’t going to pot as many goals as their pay grade demands unless the system changes….. you see the catch 22 here.

IMO Gomez can go to Hamilton and if someone picks him up off waivers then even better, in fact, thank you. Eller needs more exposure and ice time if he’s ever gonna have a chance to grow into the player we were lead to believe he”ll be by management and scouts. DD has been doing great centering our two power forwards When white comes back our 4th line is set. So why keep Gomez around eating up valuable cap space?

Just a thought

“When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro”, Hunter S. Thompson.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Very well said. The problem is coming from upstairs! Great analysis!

• HabFab says:

Don’t understand the love by some folks for Hartley…less qualified then the one we have now IMHO!! And I have never been impressed with Martin’s coaching style from even pre Hab days. Terrible situation when “je parle” is the Number One qualifier!!

• Hobie Hansen says:

Martin might not be perfect but he isn’t the one trying to build the Montreal Red Wings without Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Lidstrom.

This Habs team could be right there with some added muscle, which he failed to acquire over the summer. Even with the Gomez mess, a few gritty players spread around on offense and on the back end could increase our odds of going further in the playoffs.

Gauthier has to go.

• HabFab says:

My point was concerning Hartley. As for who coach’s and manage’s the Canadiens, Geoff and the other board members have not given me a vote…yet ;)

• Dirty Habits says:

martin system as to go, he dont like rookies, he dont like players with size, along with some brutal PG signing, this team is soft and needs to re model itself, we are not a contender and wont be for a while, as long as those two guys run da show forget it, they had a allstar team in ottawa and couldnt win , so theres no chance here, over aand out, and remember stay classy montreal

29. HabsFansince49 says:

Much has been said about Gionta’s captaincy. I wonder what would the result have been if the players had the right to elect their leader? God forbid in this archaic conservative organization! Electing your leader – now that’s radical stuff.

30. HabFab says:

Food for thought, would actually be interesting to see. Did it twice in peewee…From the Habs website.

Third-string goalies: When the Islanders’ Evgeni Nabokov went down in the first period of Thursday’s game and was replaced by Rick DiPietro, the question came up of what actually happens if both goalies get injured in the same game? The answer: you dress a regular skater who’s already in the lineup and toss them between the pipes.

“Hal Gill basically plays in net during the penalty kill anyways, so he would probably be a good choice, too,” pointed out Tomas Plekanec when it was brought to his attention that Carey Price had nominated the Czech pivot as the team’s third-string goalie should the scenario ever arise. “I only played in nets a little bit, but only when I was a kid. I really liked it actually. I was always ready to get the pads on so I could go play goalie. I don’t think that would be the case any more though…”

Probably best for everyone involved that Plekanec opted to focus his efforts on offense considering he’s leading the team with 18 points, including four in his last two games.

31. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I don’t dislike or hate many people …beyond the Adolph Hitlers, Ted Bundys, Pol Pots, Saddam Husseins, Osama bin Ladens, Clifford Olsons, Bernie Madoffs or Jerry Sanduskys of this World
    …most of Us F**k Up during some point in Our lives, so there’d be a lotta hatin’ to preoccupy Ourselves from the important stuff in Our lives
    …but, gotta say Mike Milbury (…a former Booin Gooin, and noncompare bombastic ignorami incompetent) is one of those dudes on the pedestrian-level walking this Planet that just doesn’t have to say ANYTHING to make Me feel ad hominem rejection of ANYTHING he may say (same with Our own Berkshire Cat in HIO …but that’s another subject best ignored :) ), whether I occasionally may agree with him or not
    …but, gotta say I very much agree in His opinion Rick Nash must find an ‘escape from jail ploy’ to get out of Columbus
    …what a waste of unadulterated-talent Rick Nash has represented being a member of the Blue Jackets
    …think of what a Rick Nash would be on a big-market team …whether My Habs or another
    …Nash, next to Crosby or Malkin, is the player I would move Heaven and Earth to obtain for Our Habs if I could

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

32. habsblood82 says:

JM needs a drug test!! What the hell is he doing??? I think hes trying to piss off the upper management. I don’t see his logic..

33. mjames says:

A few questions/comments:

(1) Could someone explain to me the status of AK46? At one point he was day to day now he is not even mentioned as a scratch. Has he been placed on IR?

(2). I watched Gomez last night. I know he is trying for the most part but his skill set is truly regressing. He is no longer a threat in the offensive end. He game is blueline to blueline which yields zero results.. He is not contributing aside I guess from being a good teammate. Gainey and PG have assembled a fair to midland team with an outside chance of making the playoffs. We can no longer afford to carry a $7.5mm cap hit that yields no production. I think any true hockey expert (I am not claiming to be one but I do play) would have to concede that Gomez is hurting this team.

If I am PG I am writing off this year. I ship Gomez out. I move Eller to center with AK 46 and Pulushai. I play White on the fourth with Nikolain (15) and darche. I keep the top two as they are. I play the young guys to see if they have anything. I live with mistake of ur young defensive corp.

This band aid , short term approach that Gainey and PG have employed does not work. If they had a long term view they might not have Given away or let go of many players such as Moore, D’Agostini, Riberio, , etc. This does not even include the draft choices we gave up for short term fixes. PG has discernible plan. If he does could someone please explain it.

mjames

• samTHEman says:

AK was placed on IR last week. No one knows for sure if it’s a groin, hip or knee injury but it seems to be below the waist. Some reports say he might need an operation…would definitely suck to lose him for 3 months.

———————————————————-
      It’s P.K. Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime

• twilighthours says:

Your experience as a someone who has played a lot of hockey is not valued on this site. Please go and research obscure stats instead.

• RGM says:

On Kostitsyn: He was ruled out back on Monday for the games this week. No timetable on his return at this point. Hopefully soon.

On Gomez: I truly did have hope that he would rebound this season, that last year was some abomination where everything could go wrong did, and that we’d see him produce at a marginally higher clip than last year. For a time on Wednesday night, he was tied with Price in points. It is clear that he just does not have what it takes. With that salary, however, I think he is untradeable–not “they’ll never trade Mike Richards, too much term” untradeable but more like “Rick DiPietro and Scott Gomez are absolutely untradeable” untradeable–and the Habs will have to either grit their teeth and buy him out after the year or demote him to Hamilton. They *might* be able to find some team desperate to hit the cap floor in the future when his salary drops, but for at least the remainder of 11-12 we are stuck with the albatross.

On PG/BG and band-aids – last year’s nightmare back at the blueline necessitated a couple quick fixes. Without Markov and Gorges, the corps was decimated – they were fortunate to land Wisniewski for the balance of the season, but that’s all they were ever going to get with him. A guy that was on his fourth team in 5 NHL campaigns wanted big dollars and big term, and with the future of the team in the Three P’s (Price, Pacioretty, and PK) they couldn’t make that commitment. The guys you mentioned–outside of Ribeiro–are fringe NHL players and easily replaceable parts – they did not fit in the team’s long-term plans and the team has found players that it thinks will be better full-time NHL’ers than them. Yes, losing Ribeiro for Janne Niniimaa sucks, but Mickey Ribs had to go. Look at it this way: we got Pacioretty and Gorges for Craig Rivet – things balance out over time.

This team does have a long-term plan that is discernible if you step back and have the ability to see the forest for the trees. A lot of people, many of them who post regularly on this site, conflate tactics for strategy when it comes to personnel moves and decision making by the Canadiens. Those same people who were so livid that the Habs drafted Carey Price and not Gilbert Brule because we had Jose Theodore and Yann Danis are the people that complain about not re-signing Paul Mara or trading Max Lapierre. People don’t realize that in order to capture a bishop, sometimes you have to let a pawn go, and heaven forbid if the pawn scores 20 goals on a massively offensively challenged team while finally getting the top line minutes he felt he was entitled to at age 20 despite proving nothing.

The point is that just because the organization’s objectives aren’t plainly laid out for all to see and analyze doesn’t mean that such a blueprint does not exist.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!
      RGM’s Movember page: http://mobro.co/RGM81

• HabFab says:

++++++ excellent post!

• neumann103 says:

I think you meant the 4Ps (PLEKANEC, Price, Pacioretty, and PK)

He only turned 29 two and a half weeks ago, so I think he has a few good years left. He is also the type of player and type of skillset that does not tend to fall off precipitously.

I will grant you that a goalie can have impact beyond any other player and that Price is a top 5 NHL goalie.

I will grant you that PK is an elite talent, and would lay even money that he wins a Norris one day.

Pacioretty has lots of appeal and upside, but I have yet to annoint him as the second coming of John LeClair (let’s not trade him this time). He could be the second coming of Brian Savage. And as Sean Bonjovi is known to say “Andrei Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Max Pacioretty”

Leave Plekanec off the list? I mean his freaking name starts with a P for Keeeriiist’s sake

“Et le but!”

• G-Man says:

If at first you don’t succeed, try and try again. Then give up. No sense being a damned fool about it. (Or successful for that matter.)

34. vince8_31 says:

Francois Gagnon says today on TSN radio that the canadiens need to trade PK subban if the habs want to solve their 1st line centre crisis.
    I don’t know what good comes of that, but to even start the rumour of that and the team/subban catching wind will do nothing but discourage them. These french reporters/media do nothing but ruin the montreal canadiens,,,,then they wonder why no one wants to play here and the canadiens haven’t been successful since 93′
    Smarten up Francois. PK is the future along with Price.

• samTHEman says:

You can’t blame him for being absolutely right. What else would teams want besides PK, Price and Pacioretty? He’s not implying they should trade him but that teams would inquire about him first. Duh..

———————————————————-
      It’s P.K. Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime

• otter649 says:

Michel Bergeron brought up a trade of Subban for Eric Staal on AntiChambre show & then others added to the trade to make it Price/Subban for Staal/Ward…….

• samTHEman says:

Lol, no thanks!

———————————————————-
        It’s P.K. Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime

• slychard says:

I saw that AC last night, it was more a joke then anything as they set it up all episode till BERGERON made his statement then they said they had no more time. Laughed my head off as Bergy said “but I have no time to explain’ as they signed off.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• otter649 says:

TSN990 took it seriously enough to talk about it as a possible trade but then it is talk radio……

• slychard says:

The subtleties of humor can go over the heads. I knew something was up when at the start of the show and throughout they claimed Bergy had a stroke of genius and would divulge it later on, only to cut him off. Bergy truly shocked me initially with his trade suggestion but I realized the joke when he said I have no time to explain. He had excellent timing. Really laughed so hard I choked.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
            Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• otter649 says:

Now Bob Mackenzie & Darren Dreger were discussing the possiblity of trading Subban etc…..

35. Fred D says:

Some of us are safely logged into the NOVATEL hotel. Others have to wait until Binghampton hockey players check out at 3 PM. My room looks like a luggage depot.
    I am looking for a miraculous turn around from what I watched on TV last night against the Islanders.We scored enough to win, but just gave it away.
    I would finally love to see a Gomez breakout against his old team. It’s time!

36. oshawahabsfan says:

Any word on Kostitsyn? Definitely could use him out there on the PP instead of Gomez :P

• samTHEman says:

Placed on IR, might need operation, and if so out till after Christmas probably til mid Jan-Feb. Only assuming..Groin operations take a long time to heal (see White)

———————————————————-
      It’s P.K. Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime

37. Rudy says:

About to fly out of DC up to Montreal with my 16 year old for the Summit. Last Montreal game I saw in person was at the Forum. Looking forward to being back in Montreal, hope I can still find my way around downtown. See the rest of the Summiteers at the Bell Center tomorrow morning, or at Baton Rouge. I’m assuming I can bring my son into Hurleys after the game on Saturday (I’ll keep a close eye on him for sure!)

38. HabFab says:

Dave Stubbs on twitter;
    Major profile coming on Martin & his unique life as a coach. Off now for a talk in his Brossard office about 1 hour ago ·

HIO will go crazy when that one comes out…

39. Mattyleg says:

We’re 3 points out of second place in the East.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Funny how the issue is NEVER the coaching job behind the bench. Not once.

41. --Habs-- says:

I was watching Gomez last night. Its not like he’s not getting chances or chances to setup. He’s just not thinking or he’s over thinking! Some of his errant passes are just awful. Several times behind the net not pressured he’s making passes to nobody. Yesterday twice in the last minute or so he skates the puck in brilliantly then makes cross passes to nobody! I really think its in his head! He is skilled! You can see it. But its almost like his skill isn’t where his heads at!

• Ton says:

it happens to the best of them. I don’t classify Gomez in that class. I remember Flower (Guy) from way back. The first three years you saw him has a young player and you can see that he was going to blossom at any time. Than of course there were the prime years. In the end his confidence was shattered and of course on the decline. Gomez is on the decline and has you mentioned there is a disconnect to what his hands want to do and what his head tells him to do. I saw the same in Guy when Lemaire was coaching the habs, sad it was!

42. Mattyleg says:

Everyone’s feelin’ a bit punchy here today!
    Good. Takes my mind off my 8-month old smacking her face this morning and bleeding and screaming all over the goddamn place.
    It was my stupid fault too.
    I’ve had better mornings.

BTW, who’s going to be at Hurley’s tonight?? I’m going to be there, but not until 9:45/10:00. Got a show. Who’s in??

—Hope Springs Eternal—

43. HabFanSince72 says:

Habs gave the 4th best record in the East over the last ten games.

44. HABZ24 says:

that loss was purely budajs fault, he let in verrrry soft goals.

GO HABS GO

• Mr. Biter says:

Yes, he sucked. Why did we not keep Auld? Also I had read on this site how great Emelin did vs. Carolina so I “Lazer in” on Emelin but should have used a transporter beam and sent him to Hamilton. He look lost out there last night and unless he hit someone in the 1st period he did not stand anyone up in the last 2. Now I’ll be watching the Rangers game (again thanks to MSG) and again watching his game to see if last night was an off night or if it’s going to be a normal night and then make up my mind on him.

Mr. Biter

45. SmartDog says:

Cross-eyed idiot: awhile back in a rant about how the Habs brass is jettisoning guys I was talking in general about a recent history, though the kick-off was Martin and my thoughts about him (SK, O’Byrne, etc.). Because I mentioned Higgins and Grabovsky as guys who are doing well now that he Habs could have you seemed to think that’s somehow a big gaff. Well, whatever dude… I’m glad you think it’s so funny, it seems to be all you can talk about. But go back and read it in context, or at least find something else to get your jollies on. Really dude, grow up a little.
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• DorvalTony says:

“gaffe”
      ——————————————————————-
      Little giants: Henri Richard, Mats Naslund, Yvan Cournoyer, Aurel Joliat, Howie Morenz, Guy Carbonneau, Newsy Lalonde.

• YAY a callout that begins with name calling and ends with being told to grow up! : )

you specifically included higgins and grabovsky in a list of players that JM botched, there was ZERO context. I wasnt the only one that pointed it out.

do I care that you got your wires crossed? nope, we all have that happen to us, what I am having fun with is your inability to simply say “oops my bad”, the fact that it gets you goin only makes my friday that much more manageable.

i apologize if i gravitate towards people lacking in the self reflection area, but by all means, get back to the 5 stupid questions good sir!

46. Bim says:

Anyone tired of watching 500 hockey yet? Win one lose two or three! Disgusting considering the money these guys are being paid to play hockey…and boring at that. When are we going to see a management and coaching change? These guys are simply not being managed properly. It would appear that most of these players have been drafted to play offence and many would be darned good at it if given the chance. I know the fans would love it! But…here we are looking at boring defensive hockey. I personally can’t wait for Markov to come back forcing management to shuffle the deck to accomodate him under the salary cap. Maybe…just maybe we can finally get rid of Gomer. Ya baby!

47. RGM says:

TSN reports no Markov until December.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!
    RGM’s Movember page: http://mobro.co/RGM81

48. punkster says:

I’m not one to preach doom and gloom. I’m a rather positive person. I have very little interest in hockey stats beside Ws and Ls (hell the whole OT loss thing still has me baffled). I enjoyed playing in my youth and love watching the game and my favourite team. I view the whole Habs thing as a pastime, entertainment and pretty well what I thought of it as a kid…a game. Nothing more, nothing less. So predictions and foretelling the future just strike me as so much guess work. Oh, the stats tell a story, provide a basis and history certainly though even predictions based on stats contain a healthy dose of personal prejudice and big gulp of guesswork.

Case in point, some predictions espoused as statements of fact that have been seized upon by the HI/O commentariat over the years:

- Price was brought up too soon
    - We traded the wrong goalie
    - Pleks is too soft and will never shine in the NHL
    - Pacioretty will never be a power forward in the NHL. Not tough or talented enough.
    - Kostitsyn is a draft bust and will never perform well
    - PK Subban is not ready for the NHL
    - Gorges is too small and doesn’t have the skills required to be a top D man
    - Spacek is too old and slow to play in the NHL
    - Gill is too old and slow to play in the NHL
    - Eric Cole is too old and hasn’t performed well since his neck injury
    - DD is too small for the NHL
    - Lars Eller will never be a top flight forward

(I’m sure I’ve missed a few and feel free to add your own personal favourite)

Lots of quotes to be found about predictions (predictions are for gypsies, predictions are for fools, etc). I suppose the world could end December 12, 2012 or that many Nostradamus predictions could be explained or that biblical predictions and prophecies could happen. Maybe, but I kind of doubt it all. Too many variables, too many influences, too many unknowns.

All this to say that these types of predictions about a game and its participants are nothing more or less than opinions. And our track record on HI/O is likely no more or less accurate than any other sports site or media outlet. After all it’s just a game. Let’s just enjoy it and be respectful of each others opinions.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

49. Higman says:

No pointing fingers now, but counting down from 13, what comes after 12…?

———————
    When the tough gets going, the laughs start flowing. Like Price said, “Chill.”

50. habin-ktown says:

Is there going to be any of our d back in for the rangers tomorrow

51. slamtherimtim says:

well Gomez has disapointed since his return , how much longer can he get a free ride , we may not have better players to do the job , but they can find just as bad players for a lot less money , why can edmonton and the rangers dump players in the minors and still sign free agent , and in montreal , we are disrepecting the players if we do it , it at the point where players must be saying i dont want to go to montreal cause they may end up playing with Gomer , or have him play more minutes even if he sucks ,

does anyone know if markov is still skating with out any pain ,

thanks

• V says:

It is hard to tell because you don’t structure your thoughts in sentances, but I think you are stating that players probably don’t want to play with him.

I wonder how the players on the team really feel about Gomez?

52. HabFab says:

Gill had infection from a cut. Forget the flu.
    Dave Stubbs via twitter.

53. TOP DAWG says:

When Martin points one finger there are three point back at him.

“If you’re not the TOP DAWG, the view never changes”

• Tony McLean says:

No I’m just pointing one.
      ——————————————————————-

54. srsly tho who uses the word multimedia nowadays?

55. G-Man says:

Depends if it’s a man or woman he’s sucking.

56. no because jacques martin is responsible for chris higgins and grabovsky

57. Stuck_in_To. says:

Sucking takes effort, the boy is just sniffing.

58. how mspaint never became a verb ill never know

59. punkster says:

Knowing the subtle difference between a prediction and a tongue-in-cheek statement should be added to our playbooks.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

60. Fred D says:

It would be ironic and look good on Avery,anyway!!

61. citizenSanto says:

lol
    nice try wise guy ;-)

62. G-Man says:

If that draft pick is another smurf or a never was like Wick, for sure.

63. Actually it’s more like 7-3-1. I thought all that mattered was the won/loss record, but you can’t even get that straight!

______________________________
    Seriousfan09 has started a Movember team named McPhee’s Irregulars. Donate to him, or me or the team to raise money for a great cause!

64. Bill says:

I believe it drew fewer gasps of horror than guffaws at the ludicrousness of the deal from Edmonton’s point of view. As a Habs fan I’d do that deal so fast that, if Einstein is correct, I would temporarily halt time.

Full Breezer 4 Life

65. bleedhabs81 says:

You would not be able to halt time… to do so, you would have to do the deal faster than the speed of light which would increase your mass to infinite (not sure what this will do, but it doesn’t sound good – like the universe collapsing on itself bad).

I think what you ment to say was you would do the deal so fast that you would appeared to have temporarily stopped your time as observed by those around you (as those around you would still be travelling through time at their own pace)…

At least this is my understanding of the subject.

Another ad hominem argument.

The Habs record is 8-8-3. Which still looks like 500 but really is 3 games below. What’s there to get straight? Their 7-3-1 record if you want to cherry pick is in the past eleven games and is on the back of a 4 game win streak. In the past 10 games they are 6-3-1.

Let’s see where the team is at in their past 10 when the 4 game win streak no longer factors into the equation.

The Habs next two opponents are currently on 7 game winning streaks. Should be interesting.