Multimedia from Canadiens Thursday practice

Price

Before boarding an early-afternoon charter flight to Buffalo, the Canadiens held a light practice in Brossard.
Among the regulars absent due to “therapy day” were Erik Cole, P.K. Subban, Hal Gill and Josh Gorges.
Coach Randy Cunneyworth said the Canadiens are in “playoff mode, where the ante is up 10-fold.”

“We have to battle hard each and every shift,” Cunneyworth added. “The one shift you take off could be the difference in the game.”

AUDIO of Randy Cunneyworth

1. H.Upmann says:

I wish we could make it with 13-0-10 given that we keep collapsing in 3rd period or always have to claw our way back, but it still means we have to play with a margin of error close to zero…… in my view, maybe this would have been possible if they canned JM earlier. But who knows

• Stev.R says:

I’m curious if anyone knows how many leads we have given up in the third period?
      How many leads have we given up?
      How many tied games after 2 periods have we lost?

2. SmartDog says:

Re. all this AK46 talk. I agree with those who are also fans of the guy. Put him back with Plekanec and they’ll both be better. Did you see his wrist shot on TT last night. Wicked fast. He just needs more chances and better support. He was good with Eller as well.

IN OTHER NEWS….
    Did anyone else pick up the Canadiens cookbook? I just came across it. It’s AWESOME! The picks of Plekanec and PK as kids are worth the price, but to know what some of the player’s favorite foods are and to be able to make and eat those foods like they do. That’s cool. Very interesting just to see what they like, some of it is based on the cooking in their countries, some of it just tasty protein-heavy stuff for before or after games etc. I haven’t made anything yet because I just got it – but looking forward to it.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• slychard says:

I got so angry at you I went off…then hit delete. I think you’d have been shocked. ( it was not mod deletable)
      \
      I’m catholic and now I feel guilt. Thanks a lot dog with glasses.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

3. ooder says:

man you know who i feel bad for.. ak46
    this guy can do no right simply because of what year he was drafted.
    this guy is #1 whipping boy for teh coach… why i don’t know.
    he is forced to play with the habs crappiest center in gomez and yet he is one of the most talented and toughest guys on the team.
    he is having a rotten year because he is being bounced around from line to line and benched for no apparent reason.. seriously he needs to leave for his own sake like SK74, graboski, ribeiro did..mind you i think ribeiro is a douche but wtvr
    ——————
    The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• ooder says:

not to mention guys like max-pac, DD, Cole, Emelin and Gorges who bust their asses night and night out and are on this losing ship

——————
      The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• Habfan4lfe says:

Yep I know what you mean. Let’s just hope these boneheads don’t ship him off.

• fastfreddy says:

He’s bounced around from line to line because he floats too much too often!

• ooder says:

although consistency is an issue with ak46 this guy can still produce more goals a season then darche, gomez, white, leblanc and eller combined

——————
        The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• fastfreddy says:

Sorry, I can’t agree with that. He’s done, trade him away. Develop a young kid.

• showey47 says:

Are not all 20-25 goal scorers considered inconsistent? If the leagues 20-25 goal scorers were not inconsistent then they would all be 40 goal scorers,right? AK is currently what he has always been and always will be someone who should score at least 20 but max out between 30-35.

• szthecatman says:

I really hope the habs dont trade him away… This guy has tons of skill and is a proven 20 goal scorer (and he is IMHO capable of 30+)

Habs management need to talk with him, resign him and give him more ice time… They keep killing his confidence by benching him whenever he makes a mistake. A confident AK46 is a very good player and even if they are thinking of trading him before the deadline i have NO TRUST AT ALL that PG will get anything cuz hes a horrible GM

If the habs lose AK… He will without a doubt become a great player with another team who gives him the chance and ice time

• slychard says:

Didn’t read but the first few lines of the post before my mind wandered, (I never finished before my response), My mind wandered to AK’s quote, ‘do you want to be traded?’ His response, “Not yet, I’ll see how I’m used in the next few games then answer.”
      How can you blame him. This is a player that never had a real chance. A real line. A real pat in the back from this org. Come on. How can any player feel motivated? No. I like the guy. He mentioned taking (giving) a discount to stay in this org. What more do you want? A coach with balls and structure to start. It’s not Cunney. Unfortunately. He’s in over his head from the calls he’s made. AK should be kept.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• HabsinLA says:

Maybe he’ll sign with Detroit for cheap. Team full of classy veterans, winning atmosphere, good coaching. And then we’ll see what he’s really all about.

I can’t hold it against a player leaving the Habs if they were never given a good chance to succeed… so I wish him the best of luck and really hope things pan out.

4. SmartDog says:

Got a little bit of flack on my 5 questions below… to be clear, here are my own answers and comments:

5 EITHER/OR QUESTIONS:

1. If you could snap your fingers and make one of these two gone, which would it be: Gauthier or Gomez?
    GOMEZ.. though it’s tough, I’m guessing the goat will leave soon anyway.

2. Who’s more lazy: Kostitsyn or Bourque?
    I’m a HUGE fan of Kostitsyn. This question was more because I wondered if people thought they were lazy and many people wrote in Kaberle. I find Bourque sometimes really unimpressive… so wondered if others felt that way too. I’ll take the Kaberle option.

3. Who’s cooler: Plekanec or Subban?
    Pleks. He just is.

4. Who’d make the better Captain: Cole or Gorges?
    Cole. I like Gorges just fine and think he could be too. But I find in interviews Cole is one of the most insightful players I’ve ever heard. And some of the gestures you hear about with younger players, the way he leads up font – it’s Cole for me.

5. Who’s a better GM, Pierre Gauthier or Brian Burke?
    Burke. Burke was handed crap in Toronto and it’s getting better. We’re moving sideways. Burke’s big mistakes was misjudging his team’s potential in the Kessel trade. But he was right at least about Kessel’s potential. Consider PG on Gomez (when he was head pro scout) or on Kaberle. Just dumb moves.
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• slychard says:

Just read the first line, LOL, so I’m shooting straight down to see original post. Then I’ll come back and give you my thoughts before reading this.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• powdered toastmann says:

1. agree..begrudgingly
      2. can’t tell…Bourque hasn’t been here long enough
      3. tie
      4. agree
      5. agree…emphatically…not even close

• Kooch7800 says:

1. Gomez. He was a good hockey player but he isn’t anymore.
      2. This is tough. I see more potential in AK but the two of them produce very similar numbers. I don’t mind bourque though either cause he has that edge to his game where he can be quite nasty. We need this on the roster.
      3. Pleks cause he is a workhorse and is underrated. not flashy but hammers away and gets shit done. Subban I hope will be a lot better in the future. Great talent and if he continues to grow will be a great asset as well but still costs the team a lot of games. He will be a keeper as well.
      4.Gorges for Captain. Cole is a more on ice type leader where as Gorges seems to be more media saavy. Cole would be an assitant though but really can’t lose with either guy.
      5. Burke. Has made better moves. I am not a leaf fan by any stretch but he has done quite well in the last couple years. Their defense is much better than ours currently

• slychard says:

1: Gomez
      2: I heard they’re room-mates and so, read into it what you like…
      3: Aha! Trick away! Only one cool, Steve McQueen!
      4: Gorges. Hands down.
      5: why don’t you pull my tonsils AND wisdom teeth simultaniously . I would have more levity to respond…
      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• wall2bay says:

Not a Goat fan but Burke has yet to make it to the playoffs and has yet to realize that it takes a real goalie to build a serious contending team. That would automatically make him worse than Goat.

“I kind of feel sorry for players who never got a chance to be a Montreal Canadien” – Cammalleri

• neumann103 says:

Gomez. No explanation required.

2. Who’s more lazy: Kostitsyn or Bourque?
      Bourque. AK46’s laziness is greatly exaggerated. He is juts benched for every bad shift or perceived lack of effort. The handling of Kostitsyn is one of the things that makes me doubt Cunneyworth’s potential

3. Who’s cooler: Plekanec or Subban?
      I love PK and the kid has personality coming out his ying yang but come on…the goatee, the Pleka-neck mock turtleneck, the laconic Euro style.. Plekanec in a walk. disclaimer: Tomas Plekanec is my favourite NHL player, I have worn #14 all my life. I own a Pleka-neck Habs turtleneck. I wear it when I play. SOme might construe bias

4. Who’d make the better Captain: Cole or Gorges?
      Probably Cole. I think Gorges will eventually get the nod, but the flying Leblanc’s family out to Cali for the first game… I mean had he even met the kid at that point? Huge. Mad props.

5. Who’s a better GM, Pierre Gauthier or Brian Burke?
      Burke. A blowhard. A hypocrite. A former NHL Buttman aide. But competent. And talking to every microphone or camera or lamppost is actually better than only showing your face twice a year. Especially if the mob is baying for the blood of the coach because of hus language skills.

“Et le but!”

• SmartDog says:

Dude, it’s like we were separated at birth. Really, these could’ve been my answers bang on.

Pleks is my favorite player too – has been since he came up. Just something about the guy. He looks cool, acts cool, even when he’s mad he’s still cool. But mostly he doesn’t get mad, he just skates away and let’s other people loose their cool while he still has his.

And Cole – yeah, the guy’s just got leader in everything he does.
        Awesome answers!

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

5. The Dude says:

I remember his first couple of game’s as a rookie and hearing Duke Snyder and Dave Van Horne speak so excitedly about how he wanted to be the next Pete Rose….Then I seen Gary Carter get his first on base walk and seen him run to first base at full out speed,again on a walk and I said to myself”man ,this guy’s going to be fun”. Rest in Peace Kid Carter.
    On another note….who are we but mere mortals to Not try and accommodate Mr Rick Nash and his wishes of playing for Les Canadiens ! C’est les Destanie et une otre Denistie pour tout,este’!