Multimedia from Canadiens Thursday practice

Price

Before boarding an early-afternoon charter flight to Buffalo, the Canadiens held a light practice in Brossard.
Among the regulars absent due to “therapy day” were Erik Cole, P.K. Subban, Hal Gill and Josh Gorges.
Coach Randy Cunneyworth said the Canadiens are in “playoff mode, where the ante is up 10-fold.”

“We have to battle hard each and every shift,” Cunneyworth added. “The one shift you take off could be the difference in the game.”

AUDIO of Randy Cunneyworth

1. D Mex says:

Ian Schultz : is he still with the big club ? I half-expected him to make an appearance vs Boston last night (am just as happy he did not) so am now wondering if he has a date with Gaustad.
    I thought the boys handled things nicely against Boston last night – LH shots like Cole, MaxPac, Bourque and AK are not going to get pushed around too much, and RH White’s return to the lineup speaks for itself. So I’m left wondering about the role Schultz will be asked to play – and when : thoughts ?

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

2. aj says:

So, what’s going to be the line combo for tomorrow’s game vs Buffalo?

I think it might be like this (i could be wrong though):

Cole – DD – Max Pac
    Darche – Pleks – Bourque
    AK46 – Eller – LL
    White – Gomez – Weber

PK – Gorges
    Diaz – Emelin
    Kaberle – Campoli
    Gill

3. Malreg says:

So apparently the leafs are considering trading Grabovski, and the current offer they have received is a 2nd round pick and a prospect.

It’ll be curious to see what the reaction will be if they make that deal. Montreal traded Gravoski to Toronto for a 2nd round pick and prospect Greg Pateryn, and most people now call it a terrible deal that we got screwed on. Of course the situation is now completely different, with him being a pending UFA and reportedly wanting upwards of $5 million a season on a new deal.

• Mattyleg says:

Who did we get with our pick?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• jmsheehy19 says:

Some People here just like to complain. If they traded him for a 3rd rounder, they’d wonder why we didn’t get that. And then when you inform them of their error in memory, they’ll ignore and post the same thing 2 hours later.

Never let facts get in the way of an preconceived notion.

4. Chrisadiens says:

Dad wrote a really nice piece on Gary Carter. Check it out. Special thanks to @lyndasavoie for posting it on her blog.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• slychard says:

Tell pops great article. I went to West Palm for spring training that year he came back to finish his career (93?), with the expos, and when I saw Gary signing autographs I ran to the shop to get a baseball (one with the expos crest). He signed it and I’ve cherished it ever since. This is coming from a person who did radio for over 10 years in the states and met countless movie and rock stars and was as blaze as it gets. Never really cared. Never made a fuss. But Gary. Yeah. I did it.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

5. slychard says:

Awww jeeeez. Liked and disliked his explanation. And I like the ex-ref. But the thing I was truly (uncomfortable) with was this line ” Rat’s legitimate line of defense on that hit was that he did not hit Emy across or below the knee as per the clipping rule.” Why? Because Emy slightly elevated his posture as he states? Guffah galore!
    Along with the previous and latter paragraphs in the article, there are no real explanation, exemption, or redemption that could possibly redeem the rat from having to at the very least having to answer for his actions to Shannahan.
    No call necessary. Status quo.
    Come on NHL! The shoot-out is a joke and so is the Bruins pass card.

Thanks for the link Gumper.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• fastfreddy says:

Let the selling begin! The writing was on the wall months ago, this Habs team was snakebit from the get go. The GM screwed up, the coach screwed up, some players screwed up, and now even the owner is going to screw up if he doesn’t wake up soon! I recall reading posts here in late Oct. and into Nov.”Don’t worry, chill out, it’s a long season, the Habs will make the playoffs.” I wonder if those people are still not worried, or chilling out? Boy I hope the team does something to shake things up. Let’s start with addition by subtraction, trade as many non-producers as you can, pick up prospects or draft picks, it’s time to mini-rebuild.

6. jimmy shaker says:

Who’s got the translation over on rds about marky?

Shaker

7. gumper says:

Gill worth more than Moen at the deadline, methinks. He’d be a good fit in Chicago. Prospects, not picks.

• jmsheehy19 says:

Seems likely. While it wouldn’t be a straight up, I’d love to steal Beach or Saad. Maybe throw in Palushaj and a 3rd? Anything else and we’d be better to just keep our picks/prospects.

• aj says:

I would keep Gill till season’s end if I were Gauthier. If the Habs are desperate to shave off dollars and cents just to afloat the cap space, Molson’s reckless GM might trade him this Feb 27. However, I see Gill as a need right now for the Habs since he’s a good PK specialist and a big body to protect the forwards.

• showey47 says:

I would consider trying to move them together to try to land a 1st rounder. A team who is picking late in the 1st round and is hard up for playoff success may be willing to part with it to add 2 valuable pieces like gill and moen.I would say st.louis would fall in this category.With darche’s play as of late i feel he could also score us a relatively decent pick.

8. nejad123 says:

what would it take to get rj umberger?

9. Kimberly2u says:

I liked Moore when he played for us

10. scavanau says:

Any word from the Shanahammer about rat face Douchebag-for-life Marchand?

11. Kimberly2u says:

Per Bob Mckenzie Dominic Moore has gone to SJ.

• Bripro says:

That’s the third time he gets traded for a second rounder.

• slychard says:

He was great in a Hab jersey, why they let him go I’ll never know.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• Bripro says:

They didn’t make him an offer after the playoffs. I don’t know either. He plays all-out like Darche, but with more talent.

• slychard says:

So true, so sadly true. Makes you think about competence at the Bell offices don’t it?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
            Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• jmsheehy19 says:

Well to be fair though, Darche and Halpern filled his roll at the same cost.

And while I understand the desire to give Engqvist a shot, I’m hoping we bring Moore back to solidify the fourth line.

(unrelated, but I was stoked when we picked up Betts earlier this year. Perfect role player who excels on the PK. Too bad he was damaged goods. But PG has been good at finding those types of players)

• jmsheehy19 says:

While I am usually against the revisionism that occurs when we let a player go, he’s one of the few that I would welcome back with open arms.

During that playoff run, Bromance made in heaven.

12. slychard says:

RIP Gary Carter, the kid was the best. Thanks for the memories.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• HabCez says:

I hope the Habs honor the “The Kid’ in some way..
      Sad day for me and the city..

“Emelin’s the real deal.”
      – HabCez

R.I.P Gary Carter

• scavanau says:

I still thank him for 1986

• slychard says:

Was rooting for him in 86 and was glad he had a say in the series. Nothing but great memories from that man and I would be disappointed and quite surprised the Habs would not honor him since his # is hanging at the Bell rafters. Once more RIP Gary Carter.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        Kiss my hAbSS!!!

13. SmartDog says:

5 EITHER/OR QUESTIONS:

1. If you could snap your fingers and make one of these two gone, which would it be: Gauthier or Gomez?
    2. Who’s more lazy: Kostitsyn or Bourque?
    3. Who’s cooler: Plekanec or Subban?
    4. Who’d make the better Captain: Cole or Gorges?
    5. Who’s a better GM, Pierre Gauthier or Brian Burke?

SD
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

14. habs-fan-84 says:

Not to toot my horn too much, but this was my response earlier regarding Pacioretty moving on from the “incident”. I find/found it weird that people here continue to dwell and obsess over it, spewing absolute vitriol, even though the victim has moved on, somehow the fans can not.

habs-fan-84
    February 16, 2012 at 4:23 pm

People suffer tremendous injuries in this world, some people never get over them and become angry and bitter at the world. Some, learn to cope with their injury/disability and turn their experience into a positive.

Pure speculation, but I would suspect Pacioretty is the type of person who falls into the latter category. Pacioretty has moved on, otherwise IMO, he would not be having the breakout season that he’s having.

Habinburlington recently posted this…again not to toot my own horn too much ;)

15. PeterD says:

I think Pierre will be looking for dance partners in the Western Conference…it would be really bad form to trade an asset to a conference rival and have that cvome back to haunt us in the future.

I think that’s why he dances with St Louis, Calgary, Nashville, Minnesota and so on in the past.

I would be surprised if he moves any of our assets to a team in our conference. But you neve know with this guy…he may sit still and do nothing.

16. gumper says:

Apologize if this has been posted already. Kerry Fraser’s opinion on the Marchand hit and lack of suspension.

17. Strummer says:

Dominic Moore traded again.
    To all the posters here who whined that we let him get away-

Face it. He’s a spare part.
    Interchangeable/replaceable.

Next!

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”
    -Dennis Miller

18. PeterD says:

Accoding to NHL.Com

Niklas Grossman (D) (27 yrs) to Flyers for a 2nd & 3rd round picks
    Dominic Moore (F) (31 yrs) to San Jose for a 2nd round pick

I think sets the price for Moen…not sure about Gill (maybe a 3rd)

Let the buying and selling begin…

19. habstrinifan says:

Wonder if PG had chance to trade Gill to Philly before they acquired Grossman. Regardless of our ‘playoff push or not’ trading Gill now wont hurt us.

20. L Elle says:

I could hear the crowd and see the lights from Jarry Park from my home.
    It was a good walk away, but I ran track there in the summer to keep in shape for Basketball season.

Sometimes, if there was a game, we’d go to the swimming pool, and hope someone would bat the ball outta the park, in hopes of catching one.

Gary Carter, my first sports crush. :)

RIP

• Bripro says:

By the way, the year before the expos folded, I took my son to his first father / son game. We had been once before as a family, but my wife isn’t much of a sports nut (although today’s news saddened her).
      Anyhow, during batting practice, about an hour before the game, there were player meandering here and there, and my son Mat was laying on the dugout.
      I walked down to him, looked over at at one of the trainers (I have no idea who) and asked if he would toss Mat a ball.
      He picked one up, walked over to 3rd base to talk to a few players who were hanging there.
      Larry Walker, who by then was with the Rockies, was talking with Tim Raines, who was now a consultant of some sort for the Expos.
      The two stopped in mid-sentence, turned around and casually walked over to talk to this blond 10-year old boy hanging precariously over the roof of the dugout.
      They chatted him up for a good 10 minutes and he had them both busting a gut. And they both autographed that ball and handed it to him. Then Raines looked up at me and nodded.
      That ball means more to me than it does to Mat, since it’s on the floor in the bottom of his closet. But there’s no way he’ll let me have it.
      That was a great day. The lost 10-2 and Walker hit a home run.

21. habstrinifan says:

Just read in the posts re death of Gary Carter! Sad! Too young! RIP Gary!

22. tintin99 says:

Phong

on the Puck daddy article about Canadians fans cheers when Chara got hit in the face with the puck.I wrote “i think Chara purposely throw his face into the flying puck to redeem himself for the Pacioretty hit and the Canadians fans knew it and they cheers for his gesture.

23. stevieray says:

Steve Downie may also be available … would he be a good fit ?
    Hellava player + tough hombre

24. Bripro says:

Moore for a second rounder again!
    Give it to him, he’s a constant.
    It would have been nice to re-sign him.
    A hell of a grinder.

25. Mattyleg says:

Y’know what’s crazy?
    With Buffalo winning recently, along with NYI, and the way we’re playing recently, it looks like the teams who are doing best in the latter half of the season won’t be in the playoffs, and in the Spring, we have to watch teams who burnt themselves out getting points in November.
    Oh hooray.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• SlovakHab says:

I dunno. To me, Boston, NYR, Pittsburgh, Philly and Washington are still clearly better than Tampa, NYI, Habs, Winnipeg, Buffalo or Carolina, any way I look at it. Toronto, Ottawa, Florida have been average the whole year and hence their standing in the middle of the pack.

• Strummer says:

it’s easy to string together a few wins aftyer you’re out of it and the pressure is off.

Toronto did it for 7 years. Now Buff and NYI.

This not a noteable achievement
      ______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”
      -Dennis Miller

26. sprague cleghorn says:

Warren Cromartie (in tears on 990) said (approx): “Gary was the best. Loud and obnoxious? We all were. Me most of all. But Gary was the best. And Montreal saw the best of him. In New York, he won a World Series. But in Montreal, he got into the Hall of Fame”. Listening to caller after caller breaking down on the air, you realize what a crying shame it is that this team was taken away.

27. ont fan says:

Flyers get nik Grossman fron Dallas for 2nd was LA’s and 3rd was MIN’s

28. Stev.R says:

As per @Real_ESPNLeBrun, TB trades Dom Moore and 7th round pick to SJ for a 2nd round pick. Done deal.

29. Mattyleg says:

Gary Carter was my favourite Expos player.
    By a long, long shot.
    He looked like such a nice guy, and was so consistently good.
    What a sad loss.
    RIP Kid.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

30. JohnBellyful says:

The Toronto Auto Show’s this weekend. One SUV that’s getting a lot of attention is the Bandwagon Tankmobile™ made exclusively for Canadiens fans.
    The sport utility vehicle, which has a replica of the Canadiens logo as its hood ornament, was built with two decks to accommodate passengers with opposite points of view. The Eternal Optimists occupy the main deck, with pink-tinted windows; the Infernal Pessimists get to sit out in the open on the upper deck (the one-person front seat swivels like a turret).
    A spokesman for the automaker downplayed criticism that the SUV will not sell well among Hab fans, notorious for their divisiveness.
    “Combining a Bandwagon and a Tankmobile will bring together two groups with opposing views who nonetheless have the same destination in mind: the Stanley Cup finals,” he said.
    The Bandwagon TankMobile™ is powered by the standard HIO engine, with five gears: Resignation, Despair, Neutral, Optimism and Euphoria. It runs on fuel that’s 10 per cent ethanol and 30 per cent vitriol.
    There’s a small bar (Hurley’s) at the back that’s well-stocked with crying towels and cliches. Several monitors wirelessly connected to the Internet will keep passengers informed of the latest trade rumours, and a Twitter account will allow them to tweet a few of their own.
    Each of the 24 passenger seats has a Cup holder.
    Reviewers gave the The Bandwagon TankMobile™ generally good reviews but many questioned the wisdom of having steering wheels top and bottom. A focus group of Canadiens supporters invited to take a test drive were unable to get the SUV out of the parking lot, spending an hour going around in circles.

31. habs001 says:

I know ak46 has many supporters on this site but i believe it is time to close the book on him with the habs….some ak46 supporters last year probably would not have supported an ak46 for cole trade saying their stats are not much different..but what a difference in play between the two players…we need a player that gives effort most times and is intense ,,ak46 is just not that player..

• Le Jadester says:

I saw this at the Official site from somebody named “Weeping Minotaur” and I agree with all of it below. I also agree with what your saying too. Cole has been the best player all season but AK is being misused and compared to Cole, they are apples and oranges playing the same position IMO.

According to “Weeping Minotaur”

To me, the problem is that RC, as a rookie coach, is trying to turn every player on his team into the same kind of player, which is not going to work. There’s a difference between implementing a system and fostering a team concept, on the one hand, and making every player into a north-south, puck-chipping robot on the other. A guy like Kostitsyn is what he is: he’s been in the league for five years now and isn’t going to change. Sure, you can get him to play marginally better defense, but mostly, he’ll be the guy we’ve seen since day one: a streaky 20-goal scorer who hits hard when he’s engaged and who’s invisible when he’s not scoring. You’ll never make him a Selke candidate and it’s stupid to even try IMO. It’s even more stupid to punish him for turnovers when the whole team, at one point or another, is guilty of the same. Diaz was awful last night with turnovers, poor decisions, blown coverage. Gill, enough said. Bourque wasn’t great on the backcheck. Cole had his share of mistakes, but because he’s scoring and we love him, it’s overlooked (I loved how Cuthbert and Ferraro were praising Cole last night at exactly a moment in the game when he turned the puck over). Players aren’t dumb, they see the double standards we do, and they’ll eventually get tired of it. I don’t blame Kostitsyn for speaking his mind. It must be very frustrating to be the whipping-boy whenever the coach wants to make an example or light a fire under the team.

Anyway, I’ve been clamoring for Kostitsyn to be traded, so maybe it is a blessing in disguise that RC doesn’t know how to use his personnel properly.

Habs, OLE !

32. Marc10 says:

Merci Gary!

Sincere condolences to his family and friends. What a player!

33. habs001 says:

The habs are one of the worst pp teams in the league…one of the worst home teams in the league….have trouble holding leads in the third…keep losing to teams that played the night before…cannot score in shootouts and give up goals in the shootout at an unbelievable 50% rate….they have to make more than 1 or 2 player changes for next year…

• powdered toastmann says:

We have some good pieces, but yes, to say we’re close is being delusional/kidding ourselves…the facts speak for themselves…as someone mentioned previously, the Habs are much closer to the bottom of the standings than the top. Much needs to be done.

Don’t care how they’re losing. It’s as troubling or moreso to be losing so many close ones (where the opposition rallies in the third) as getting blown out. (especially when it’s happening so consistantly)

• ABHabsfan says:

It’s a little misleading considering the other teams in the East. No one has really stunk it out, usually there are 1-2 teams that are at 40 points or so right now. Proximaty to the top or bottom of the standings doesn’t tell the whole story.

• powdered toastmann says:

Parity reigns supreme in today’s NHL. Problem is most of those “mediocre/middling” teams do not compare well with a whole host of teams in the West. I guess the question has to be asked…are they all that bad? (and I’m talking about the 15th place teams on up the line)

34. krob1000 says:

a 2nd AND a 3rd rounder for UFA Nicklas Grossman??? holy crap…give up the dream now and sell while the market is out of whack!!!

• twocents says:

No friggin’ kidding, that’s crazy.

He is a big shutdown dman, only 27 yrs old. If he enjoys his time in Philly and resigns then the deal doesn’t look so bad. If he indeed ends up being just a rental, then I agree deal is lopsided. But I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up liking it there and resigns.

• Chris says:

Yep, that makes little sense to me. All the credit I was willing to give Holmgren after the Carter and Richards deals has been pretty much cancelled out by the Bryzgalov deal and now this. That’s a pretty hefty return on a decent shot-blocking defenceman that plays second-wave PK minutes.

35. ths says:

RIP Kid !
    Glory days of Montreal.

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

36. alfieturcotte says:

R.I.P Gary Carter. He was one of the best from Nos Amours, and played with real grit and love of the game. I can still visualize his cather’s crouching position behind home plate. A real artist.

37. twocents says:

The most useless feature in hockey media today is TSN’s TradeCenter.

• kerrgte says:

that’s only because there are no trades worth bothering about.

there’ll be a few at the last minute, I think, but the nature of the business keeps things pretty much stalemated.

• Chris says:

Couldn’t agree more.

Then again, they are serving a market. So while I don’t understand the need to hear about a trade the second it happens, there is either a demand (as strange as that need might be in my eyes) or a need to fill some airtime.

Probably a combination of both. :)

38. habsfan0 says:

A part of Montreal passed away today.

RIP Kid.

#8 in our hearts forever.

• habfan01 says:

2 thumbs up to that. I remember going to the Big O and buying $1 bleacher seats and watching “The Kid” . And who can forget the 86 Mets, led by Gary.

39. kerrgte says:

The boys looked great against Boston last night. I think the shoot out was just a bit of bad luck.

Let’s see if that same intensity shows up in Buffalo.

• powdered toastmann says:

They did, but methinks the shoot-out scenario is about more than just bad luck. Mutual lack of confidence between hab shooters and Price seems to be the result of shoot out loss after shoot out loss. Things have snow-balled.

40. Psycho29 says:

RIP Kid Carter..
    Got to see him play a lot of games at the Big Owe….and was lucky enough to be at Cooperstown with the Team-990 gang when he went into the Hall of Fame….

41. Hobie Hansen says:

It was very nice to see the Canadiens at least start to compete in the physicality department with Boston last night.

And can Boston not take a clean hit or what?

I have no problem with Thornton hitting Emelin last night in the third, in retaliation to the great hit Emelin put on him earlier in the game.

But to have Marchand low bridge Emelin like that is so cheap!

Every time someone on the Bruins gets hit they either immediately try and start a fight or attempt to injure the guy for the rest of the game.

I love rough games and fights but the Bruins seriously need to grow the f*&k up and learn to take a clean hit.

• Chris says:

What Bruins last night tried to start a fight?

Thornton could have when he got hit, and he was suitably angry, but he didn’t go to start a fight.

Lucic was invisible throughout the game.

Boychuk was pretty invisible.

Campbell, Paille and Thornton were on pretty good behaviour.

McQuaid was engaged in the usual pushing and posturing in front of the net that you see from every NHL team when White decided to start a fight.

Other than that, I would say that was a pretty tame game from the fighting regard…just a lot of big bodychecks, some taunting, but no premeditated cheap stuff other than Marchands idiotic clipping incident, and that isn’t so much trying to start a fight as a guy who just refuses to acknowledge that he is committing one of the dirtiest plays in hockey.

• powdered toastmann says:

You’re talking about 1 game. Others have remarked how “tame” (and I paraphrase) the Bruins were. (Habs more physical) Considering that they played a tough game the night before (and the Habs didn’t) and fighting takes a lot of energy it probably is not too surprising to see that the Bruins did not do much in the way of fighting. Is this game representative of other Bruin games (especially when well rested)?

• Hobie Hansen says:

There’s a couple of previous incidents as well.

One is where Kostitsyn nailed Lucic last year and the other was when Subban smoked Marchand.

The Kostitsyn hit was maybe debatable…

The Bruins had to chase both of them around the ice before the linesman stepped in.

What ever happened to sucking it up and accepting the fact that you got caught with your head down?

Not sure why in the NHL today there has to be a fight after a clean hit?

• powdered toastmann says:

Yeah, you’re right, it is a puzzling question seeing that good, hard, clean hits are supposed to be a part of the game. The fact remains that this is how the Bruins traditionally react. (and we all know how the NHL disciplinary people see it too). So, instead of bemoaning the fact that the league is not rapping knuckles, I think the Habs need to physically prepare themselves for a forceful response to this BS.

Hate to say it (because it’s sad that this is also a part of the game) but the truth is that sometimes a well timed punch in the face is worth a thousand words.

A classic example…and this is old…but the Hab’s likeable Sask. farmboy, stay at home, no frills defencemanLyle Odelein on Buffalo’s tough guy Rob Ray (in a game in Buffalo in the early/mid /90’s after Ray was continuously chasing a couple of uncombative Habs throughout the game)

Odie was no shrinking violet.

42. Sharks9 says:

Going to my first Habs game in Buffalo tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone knows is it possible to get players autographs before the game or something?

25 before 14

43. montreal ace says:

Gary Carter was a class all the way, glad I seen him play, R.I.P.

44. Chris says:

Can we please can all the internet threats and bravado? It is ridiculous. Most of those talking about inflicting bodily harm on these players would do no such thing…the idea of jail time or criminal charges is usually an effective deterrent to any rational human being in polite society, not to mention basic codes of decency. And if you would, that is as much or more of a telling statement about you as an individual then anything the player has done to warrant such a reaction.

I often get the feeling that the people posting in the gamenight thread watched a completely different game than the one I was watching. It’s somewhat rare to see it continue the following day to the extent that it has today, especially when the game was actually a pretty entertaining affair that could have gone either way. In the oft-quoted words of Carey Price, people need to chill out. It’s a game, folks…

Yes, the players make millions of dollars. We go to games and buy merchandise and pay for television subscriptions to watch the games.

But it is a game.

The refereeing last night sucked for both teams. Marchand clipped Emelin and was penalized, probably should have been suspended even though Emelin wasn’t seriously hurt. Gill hit Peverley knee on knee and definitely should have been penalized, and Peverley could be out for a while. Where’s the sympathy for Rich Peverley, one of the nice guys in the NHL?

Thornton ran Emelin and should have gotten an interference penalty, no question. But Emelin could have easily received a checking from behind penalty on his hit on Thornton…I **know** that the same people whining about Thornton’s hit today would be crying bloody murder if the rolls were reversed on that play.

Paille and Pacioretty were both called for questionable goaltender interference calls, and I have no problem with the one on Cole. Yes, he was guided towards the goalie, but he never tried to hit the brakes and ran into Thomas such that he ended up 5-6 feet to the side of his crease. I’m not a fan of the idea that the puck carrier can obliterate the goalie with impunity. I would absolutely protest if it happened to Price or Budaj, so I can’t honestly complain if we get called for it occasionally. I also didn’t like watching Moen obliterate Reimer earlier this season on a similar play. Some refs call it, some don’t. I’d like to see the goalies protected more when they are actually in their crease…Cole was steaming through the crease regardless of whether he was guided or not. The goalie does have the right to their real estate.

Kostitsyn was called for a pretty questionable interference call on Kelly, but Boychuk’s interference call on Pacioretty was equally mystifying.

As for the rules…if McQuaid’s tie-downs broke during the fight, then there is no extra penalty for not tying down the jersey. From the YouTube clip I saw, it looked like the tie-down strap was fastened at the start of the fight, but failed somehow. It happens. It’s pretty rare in today’s NHL that you see players tossed for the tie-down strap, and a player like McQuaid that actually fights semi-regularly (17 NHL fights since the start of last season) isn’t likely to forget to tie down his jersey against a heated rival.

• otter649 says:

It is unfortuate that Peverley got injured but he tried to avoid The Gill check & got hurt but more like leg on leg than knee on knee but hopefully no knee damage & maybe a charley horse…….

• Chris says:

I know that Gill didn’t do it intentionally…his leg was out wide the whole time, and he never moved it. It was just an awkward check that he tried to lay on Peverley, and Peverley’s attempt to dodge it probably led to the injury. Sometimes, you’ve just got to take the hit instead of trying to dodge it.

But you could certainly argue that he was tripped at the very least, and the grounds were there for a kneeing minor penalty.

• shiram says:

A very clear-headed and well thougth-out post, I wish I could be so eloquent in what I write.

45. HabsFan82 says:

Kostitsyn has pretty much played his best hockey along side Plekanec – So why doesn’t RC put him on the 2nd line instead of Darche.
    I would have White, Eller and Leblanc for my 3rd line
    Campoli, Gomez, Darche for the 4th line – whats so hard about that
    The 3rd line would be half decent – The 4th still our weakest

46. Guy Ledouche says:

Just heard this on CBC Montreal Gary Carter has passed away
    RIP Kid :,(

• Chuck says:

NEW YORK — Baseball Hall of Fame president Jeff Idelson announced Thursday that Hall of Fame catcher Gary Carter has died.

The Hall of Fame catcher passed away at the age of 57.

The former Expos and Mets great had been suffering from cancerous and inoperable brain tumours that were first diagnosed in May, 2011.

A recent MRI revealed that the cancer had worsened.

“The Kid” was a fan-favourite in both Montreal and New York where he excelled both behind the plate as well as in the batter’s box.

After a 19-year pro career, Carter was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2003. He was the first player enshrined in Cooperstown wearing a Montreal Expos cap on his induction plaque, and his number 8 was retired by the team as well.

Carter played 2,296 career major league games with the Expos, Mets, Giants and Dodgers. He finished his career with 324 home runs (tied for fifth all-time amongst catchers), and 1,225 runs batted in (seventh all-time amongst catchers).

He was instrumental in helping the Mets win the 1986 World Series. He was selected to play in 11 All-Star Games, and earned game MVP honours in 1981 and 1984. He was also the recipient of three Gold Gloves and five Silver Slugger Awards.

Carter was also president of the charitable Gary Carter Foundation, which was aimed at improving conditions for impoverished schools in Florida. The foundation hosted an annual golf tournament that helped raise funds for various causes.

Carter is survived by his wife Sandy, three children, and three grandchildren.

• zorro says:

Ya, real sad, he was our favourite Expo. RIP Mr. Carter.

• My favourite Expo, I can actually say I’m sad that he’s gone.

Shane Oliver
      http://www.Sholi2000.com Inc.
      Custom Sports Figures
      Brandon, MB,Canada
      R7B 2R7
      hockey@sholi2000.com
      Ph- 204 724 8418

That is very sad to hear. Gary Carter to me was a big part of taking the Expos to the next level. He was a bonofide superstar, if his career hadn’t overlapped with Johnny Bench, he probably would have been the best catcher of his time. He will be missed. Thanks for the memories Gary, those were some great times in Expos Baseball.

47. BeeGee says:

I should retract that ‘nobodie’s comment from just now by relative ‘unknowns’. Eric Lampe is in fact the ECHL’s current top scorer.

48. Dr.Rex says:

LEt us not forget game one of the playoffs last spring when AK blocked a hard slapper from CHara with his ankle and was clearly hurt and the BRUIN fans went crazy as AK went crawling to the bench. Also as trainers helped him down the corridor all teh fans were laughing and pointing at AK. NOw a small portion of fans cheered when they saw Chara fall down which is an extreme rarity. At first I thought he just fell trying to block the puck and IM sure most people did too. Althought after it was clear he was not seriously hurt and i saw the replay on TV it was a little comical to see such a monster look soo Pathetic. Kinda like he did last season when he chased Pacioretty into the corner after the OT goal and was held by the refs and Hall Gill. That occasion he looked like a monster in the Rudolph movie getting angry because it had a sore baby tooth.

ANyways, it has become clear that we are dealing with a bucnh of moronic baboons from Boston. ANything goes for them and when they cheer and holler when a player is laying concussed like Salo was it just being passionate. BUt when we react with any littly type of haste then we are all classless and pathetic.

OOps did I forget to mention the Bruins fans cheering when Halpern took a blindside him from Ference in game 7 and lay woozy on teh ice. Then they booed him when he stayed on the ice because Jack Edwards has all those baboons trained to worship his erratic comments and gather together while he rubs his wart cream on his crusty balls.

49. BeeGee says:

Bulldogs sign nobodies Peter Lenes, Joey Haddad and Eric Lampe to pro try-outs. Guess we can expect some movement in Hamilton.

50. otter649 says:

Gary Carter has passed – RIP “The Kid”……

51. Bripro says:

How is this possible?
    I’m attempting to post the following, but I keep getting a message that it’s already posted, but it’s nowhere to be found.
    Does anyone else have this problem?
    Anyhow, here it is again.

That was a great game last night.
    If our team was higher in the standings, we’d all be in a good place.
    But they only yielded one point, there were missed calls and bad calls,
    injuries and whiney reactions, but it felt like playoff hockey.
    Bs fans hate us, and we loather them as much.
    But it’s great hockey.
    I remember the scrap between Cheevers and Vachon.
    I remember Orr the magnificent!
    I remember Guy’s shot from the blue line that beat Johnston.
    And it’s always been great hockey.
    It’s the most wonderful sport in the world, but if you let it get to you, while you wait for cup #25, it’ll drive you crazy!
    So just strap yourself in and enjoy the ride!
    It’s Great Hockey!

• PrimeTime says:

Love it!! +1

Gomez can’t hear what you’re saying because his ears are blocked with his 2 Stanley Cup rings.

• piper says:

I loved the way they played last night. If not for a couple of mistakes we win that game. Why is it when we make a mistake its usually a huge one and ends up in our net. Its not Prices fault either.

52. habsfanincalgary says:

On a different topic…i look back at this frustrating season…I think the turning point of the season was when the Habs lost in O/T to PIT…Price had the puck and the ref didn’t blow the whistle. It seemed to have gone downhill from there…

I think things would be different for the team if the O/T / Shootout record was the other way around…

Losing when up by a goal or two going into the third period has also hurt this team.

Finally, anyone notice that another of the team’s problems is not being able to hit the net?

53. Les Canayens says:

Max Pacioretty is the most classy here as he did not utter a single word on any of this non-sense.

▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭
    Scouting is subjective.

54. piper says:

It appears now that the better of the Stewart bros is available. What would it take for the Habs to aquire him? A young tough as nails power forward is just what we need to play along side Eller.

55. db says:

I lost my voice yelling at the rat last night. If Marchand doesn’t get at least 5 games for ANOTHER low bridge I’ll lose it. This rat is 5’9 and bends way down to take someone out.

Ya, I laughed when Chara took a fluke shot to the face. Whatever, it’s a hockey play… no biggie really. Ya, ok it was the loudest ovation of the night aside from Cole’s goal (thanks Chara).

There was less class at the game from almost every Boston fan over 18 last night. Go watch Lucic hammer Miller and watch how their fans react.

Wow. Someone buy Kaberle a longer stick. The guy can’t take a slapshot from the point, nor can he defend properly. Everyone skating in on Kaberle gets a shot on net!

I’ve been avoiding most Habs related boards as of late, the flipflopping kills me.. I’m a fan, through and through and I never want this team to tank. No pro athlete will suck on purpose. It happens that pro athletes suck, but they’re trying (ish).

I hardly post, since y’all take care of almost everything and I admit I haven’t read any since I got back from the game last night. Apologies for any repeats..

Oh… and Campoli! What the hell…. sad part is, PG should have been fired when canned JM and he knows it. It’s too late now to give a new GM the reigns before the trade deadline, draft and off season… or is it?

Last night I really missed Markov. With him, we’d be in the playoffs.. I was spoiled enough to be working at the Belle when he started and watched him get better and better. We forget how good he is (and I believe he can come back).

56. CF says:

If I was at the game I would have cheered too. Class, Class!!! you say, give me a break. I can list at least 10 instances in the last 12 months where Boooins should have been suspended for a lact of class. Yeah, add that to your bill shanny.
    What about the middle finger from Ference, the water bottle from Horton, Marchands low blow, Ference trying to take our boys head off last year in our barn, how about the entire Boston fan base singing habs suck to the back drop of the organ, come on. Pick up your jocks and grow some. I’m sure little baby chara is fine.
    I’d pay cash money to run into that rat boy marchand in a dark alley, or a well lit alley, any day of the week.

• db says:

Marchand is the only person I would actually sucker punch. And I’m not violent.

• Jocko says:

When thinking about most of the Bruins, I can’t help but think about Inglorious Basterds and the Jewish Bear. I hate those classless pieces of garbage! Starts right from the top. I agree, I would love to get Marchand anywhere!

On another note, RIP Gary Carter. He, along with Raines, Wallach, and Dawson, are my favorite Expos of all time. I loved the guy and it’s a tragedy that he passed away at such a young age.

I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

57. habs17 says:

How can some ppl on here defend Chara the guy is disgrace and nearly killed argubley our best player, yet some ppl on hear say why were we cheering when he got hit by the puck. did u guys not see what he did to Max that man deserves every bad thing that happens to him. He claims he had no intent to hurt max. He knew exactly what he was doing. I guess it was just pure luck that the guy he nearly killed happend to be Max. ummm no he wanted to kill max after what max did that little push to him after scoring the game winner in OT. To those ppl who acutally are defending chara, how do u do it, Watch the video where max nearly get’s decapitated
    I support Scott Gomez

• krob1000 says:

I wish he ahd to answer for that…the league driopped the ball but a fraction of a second diff’t and no injury. I do believe Chara meant to hurt him and should ahve ebee suspended..I also believe Marchand should have been….I don’t like the resulting injury being so much of a factor. In that same mould though…I don’t like that people think it is ok to cheer an injury after the fact because he didn’t end up that hurt….the intent of the fans was as malicious as Marchand’s for his hit, Thronton’s for his, Chara’s,etc…the result was diff’t…had bhe lsot his eye ont hat shot….and the clip were to be forever played of Hab fans applauding it the stories today would have been very different and the reaction far stronger.

• PrimeTime says:

I don’t believe anyone here is defending Chara for the brutal “hockey play” on Max but it’s done and nothing is going to change. Strong opinion exist from fans on both teams. B’s fans believe Habs embellish everything. Fans of both teams exaggerate everything which makes the games fun to watch. But it is still classless to cheer an injured player no matter what team you cheer for.

58. Propwash says:

My bet is, the fans of any home team will cheer if an opposing player gets a puck to the face, or checked hard, or gets dropped in a fight.

• krob1000 says:

My bet is some fans will…the same fans who boo anthems, every ex Hab and current Hab and start riots….of course if you put 20000 people in a building some will…doesn’t make it right. I am shocked by the number of people on here who would…..that surprised me.

• PrimeTime says:

A higher percentage of moron fans post here than the percentage that go to the games.

59. RJ says:

To everyone who is apologizing for fan’s reaction to Chara (let’s not call ti an injury as he missed a shift) last night, You have NO IDEA what fans here in Boston have been saying about Canada, Montreal, Habs fans and Habs players for years. The hypocrite Boston fans who are feeling self-righteous (again) should think back to the hit on Mason Raymond in Boston during the Finals when the fans cheered like crazy and chanted, “Get Up, Get Up, Get Up” like Jack Edwards says when players “dive.” Ask yourself, if this happened to PK in Boston what would the reaction be? These are the same fans that wrote on message boards that Patches was a faker and they hoped he was dead. Two wrongs don’t make a right but this same reaction would happen in a heated game against a villian player in ANY SPORT ANYWHERE. People around here are as mean, angry and nasty as the players they support.

“My face is my mask,” Gump Worsley

60. montreal ace says:

Bolts goes down like frankinbridge, from a shot that did not give him a bruise, or require a band aid, but the crowd is classless because they did not show him love. The way he went down, you would think he still had his first set of teeth, and now he is crying for love, what a fricken baby

61. P-Habby says:

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but did anyone see marchand’s comments on the reaction to the puck to chara’s face?

“you have to be concerned that it’s people’s lives at stake. Concussions and stuff like that are a very serious thing, and you don’t have to disrespect guys when they’re trying to make a living for their family and they’re hurt like that.”

You have got to be kidding me!! What a hypocrite!! Marchand, chara, etc are a bunch of goons. What comes around goes around. I cheered when chara got whacked and I’d do it again. If that makes me a cretin, or classless, or whatever in the eyes of some idiot reporters, who cares?

Go Habs Go!!!!

• DarthAlexander says:

That’s rich coming from a guy who almost broke Emelin’s leg. Did he say this with a straight face?

“We only have one person to blame, and that’s each other.” – Berry Beck

62. Sisky33 says:

RANT TIME—
    If it was early in the season I would agree with RC on benching guys, but it has become more clear to me we do not want to make the playoffs.
    As long as we keep dressing 7 D we will always have to work hard for the fact WE ARE ALSWAY SHORT HANDED. Carolina and Boston dressed 4 lines and 6 d. When RC benches guys for the entire game we are playing short handed from the drop of the puck.

Canes game with 7 D, Gomer and Ak glued to the bench we have 9 Forwards to play against 12 no wonder we can’t win! Pleks plays the pk and pp as well so he’s not going to have much left in the tank in the last 5 mins of games.

After attending the game last night, Last nights benching of Eller who played roughly 5 mins RC had him shoot 3rd. WAKE UP Molson do something about your struggling product.

Kaberle turned the puck over a few times in a row in the D zone HE DIDNT BENCH HIM!! and Campoli…useless they make me miss Spacek and Hamerlik even more.

• LA Loyalist says:

Why on God’s green earth would you want to make the playoffs with this bunch?

Didn’t you learn anything from last year’s epic choke? Tanque. End the suffering, get a draft pick. Start over.

Cigarets and blindfolds for them that deserve it. Smoke ‘em if you got ‘em.

Bring on the dancing horses. Things will look better at training camp after a thorough putsch.

• shiram says:

As badly injured and depleted a lineup the Habs had for the playoffs last season, I think it’s unfair to say they choked, especially facing a better placed opponent and how close the series was.

63. DorvalTony says:

There should be a new poll asking if tanking would be preferable to what we saw last night. Make mine Canadiens pride. Magnificent effort.

64. habs17 says:

Pouliot calls habs fans and montreal classless and gutless. Pouliot is the most gutless player i have ever seen, never seen some1 so soft of his size

ppl making a big deal about nothing who gives a **** that we cheered when he got a puck in the face freedom of speech
    I support Scott Gomez

65. kerrgte says:

Hi Ian

I disagree with you on this.

Yes, Chara could have been more careful, but that stanchion was unsafe. That’s why it was changed during the off-season.

Surprisingly, there was no law suit for unsafe working conditions.

If only Chara was wearing the bleu, blanc, et rouge…

cheers
    George K

• Ian Cobb says:

He drove his head into the stantion hard enough to bend the steel! No error here, it was a deliberate intent to injure.! I have been around all kinds of play for over 55 years, at all levels of hockey. No question in my mind at all, or his either.!

• Kooch7800 says:

Max P would agree with you as well

• kerrgte says:

the stanchion itself should not have been there. That’s why it was changed in the off-season. The design fault was corrected.

Probably no other player in the league has the arm power of Chara. His strength combined with a dangerous design is the explanation.

[I've been a fan for 56 years Ian (I remember marveling at Henri, the Pocket Rocket!), and played lots of those years - but who's counting.]

cheers

• Ian Cobb says:

Do you think that he has not discovered that he has that strength yet. Give me a break! He guided his head right into that post, to think otherwise is just foolish.

• piper says:

Do you really believe Chara did not intend to injure? Did you watch the previous games between the two teams?
          Do you not think Pacioretty would have been the difference in the first round series? I’m sure Chara knew it.

• krob1000 says:

I do beleive it was a dirty paly…I don’t think he intended things to be the way they were ..he definitely wanted to teach Max a lesson and he should have been suspended…it gives tfans the right to dislike him..I get that..but Ian…if you have been around hockey as much as you say you have you have to know the difference between booing a guy when he touches the puck or even cheering if he loses a fight…but when a guy appears injured….you do not cheer…..you just don’t do it.

• Ian Cobb says:

Sorry krob 1000.
          If I was Max’s father, they would have had to put me in irons, or that big fellow would have been horizontal.

• krob1000 says:

That is fine and I wouldn;t expect any parent to be any different…I can’t believe he got away with it either….but it is over….and it doesn’t make it ok a year later to cheer a guy getting a puck in the head

• PrimeTime says:

lol. the steel did not bend….it appeared on camera to have but pics following the hit showed it didn’t. Everything gets exaggerated when it involves our Habs! I’m not defending the hit but discussions should based on facts. A big man with revenge on his mind went overboard.

• DorvalTony says:

Yeah yeah the stanchion jumped out and got him, he should have ducked hockey play blah blah woof woof.

• LA Loyalist says:

Either you haven’t watched the Max Pax / Chara video or you are a moron.

Either way, I don’t care. I nearly threw up when I saw it, I wouldn’t let my kid see it, and if I ran into Chara in a dark alley I would take out his knee with a tire iron — unfortunately, I’m only 6′ 1″, 210 and can’t reach higher than that.

As for you, don’t ever come on the ice with me unless your insurance is all paid up, you Bean lover.

• kerrgte says:

I’ve been a Mtl fan for 50 years – I’m definitely not a Bruins fan.

Like you, and every other sports fan around the world, we all watched in horror at that hit.

The fact is, the stanchion design itself contributed significantly to that near tragedy. That’s why the design was changed – to eliminate the possibility of such consequences to occur ever again.

No threats please, not on this board or any other.

• LA Loyalist says:

You know, there can be two facts at the same time that are not contradictory.

No one is saying that the stanchion was a great design. But it is also true that Chara deliberately shoved his head into it with his arm. If it’s a feather pillow does that make it ok for Chara to try and break his neck (successfully) with a move that had NOTHING to do with the play? That’s the point. Max was out of the play, the puck was gone.

It was pure sadism from a bully.

As for threats, it’s just frustrating that someone on a HABS website is defending Chara like a year later and then claims not to be a closet Beaner.

• kerrgte says:

I am not defending Chara. I’m telling you the real damage resulted from a very, very unsafe stanchion design. If you must have someone to blame, then blame the Bell center owner. That’s why the design was changed in the off-season.

I’ve been a Habs fan forever, but that does not enter into the issue.

• New says:

I think you will get a lot of flak on this. The ice is unsafe. The boards are unsafe. The skates are unsafe. The sticks are unsafe. The stanchion was just part of it. Chara purposely did what he did because (as the great philosopher Brad Marchand noted later when discussing the application of leather to nordic faces) he could.

Contact sports are the best sports. But after a bit your temper climbs. This brings out that extra gear. You do things that surprise even yourself. That includes not only plays but violent things. Chara lost it. Thank goodness this season’s series is over because the big guy didn’t like being shown up by MaxPac and he won’t like being shown up by Cole who played him all night. He will get even. And if he doesn’t his little ball of (hate is too kind a word for it) will kneecap Cole for him. A goon is a goon, big or small.

And don’t for a minute believe all that “I don’t hear the jeers.” crap. You do something wrong, intended or not, you hear the reaction.

66. Gazza Strip says:

I’ve been an avid reader of comments made on this site for years but this is my first entry. The events of last night both on the ice and off have compelled me to comment. Last night’s game was exciting and I was happy and perhaps even proud of the team’s effort. It has been a frustrating year for all of the players and fans but I have to say that on two occasions this week I have been ashamed of the behavior of some of the fans at the rink. The booing of Jaro Spacek was way off base. He was a good foot soldier when he was here. He didn’t light the lamp as much as I’d like to have seen but he did his job. When he was traded to Carolina it wasn’t like he was demanding to get out of town or anything. I thought it showed very little class to boo him.

Last night was even worse. I dislike Zdeno Chara as a Bruin and I know he doesn’t deserve any favours from the Hab fans. It’s one thing to boo him every time he handles the puck ( although I’m really tired of hearing it) but to cheer when he was hit in the face with a slap shot is really a classless thing to do. I was only watching on TV and while I can’t say how many people were involved, the cheering was substantial.

I think that if we want to have a reputation as a class organization and be an attractive destination for free agents, we as fans have to play a role in that too. Come on Habs fans, show some class.

• Mattyleg says:

Nice.
      Welcome to posting!
      A good first offering.
      Like your name too, btw. Reminds me of the joke about the rabbi who dies in Glasgow.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• PrimeTime says:

You can’t paint all with the same brush. Im sure the morons in the nosebleeds were booing the shot to the jaw but i would suspect the majority were not. No different than this site, not all are morons but they seem to be the loudest and most often heard.

“Gomez can’t hear what you’re saying because his ears are blocked with his 2 Stanley Cup rings”.

• Ian Cobb says:

Welcome aboard, but they will do a lot more to you in the Gazza Strip than boo you if you step out of line my friend!

• LA Loyalist says:

Do you have paid up insurance?
      Do you have skin thicker than poutine gravy?
      Can you name the last 10 Habs captains, 9 of whom were over 3′ tall?

If so, welcome to the parade. Enjoy the ice girls, the beer and the vitriol.

Post early, post often. Just don’t mention Rene Levesque, Galoise “Bruns”, Mitsu, Serge Gainsburg, Guillaume Latendresse or “Red Light” Racicot.

And especially don’t criticize Price when he woofs a shoot out. It’s just his way of saying he wants to be traded to Vancouver.

67. Kooch7800 says:

Apparently Kubina is being kept off the ice until he is traded in Tampa. They have asked him for a list of teams as he has a limited no trade clause. Montreal should look at Kubina. For a one of two year deal.

“The one shift you take off could be the difference in the game.”

Then why are Gomez, Campoli and Kaberle still getting ice time. I am sick of all this cliche bullshit talk. RC is a moron.

• Mattyleg says:

You’re right.
      RC should be telling the media all about his stragegies and giving all his inside information about planning and personnel management.

He should probably also point out individual players’ weaknesses and flaws in his own coaching so that everyone is clear about them.

This whole “say nothing to the media because it actually has no profit to you whatsoever” is ridiculous. What an idiot!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• habs17 says:

no i agree RC should be fired immeditley

I support Scott Gomez

69. coutNY says:

What happened with Eller last night? Hurt? Doghouse?
    5:48 TOI… no give-aways; 1 hit; 1 face-off win…. what did I miss?

70. Bun E. Laroque says:

Another dirty play from Marchand and no repercussions from the league. This coming after he gets five games for a very similar move. Seems like there is still a bias in favour of Boston and a bias against the Habs in these situations. Shanahan is supposed to be fair in his assessments but he clearly has his own agenda if hes dealing with his peeps (Bruins, Yzerman etc.) Marchand is a dirty player and a repeat offender. I generally don’t wish violence on other people but I look forward to when someone gives him a taste of his own medicine.

• RJ says:

Shanahan and the league is a joke. No hearing on the same play and penalty he was SUSPENDED for about a month ago. Colin Campbell and Jeremy Jacobs are bedmates.

“My face is my mask,” Gump Worsley

71. shiram says:

Always trying to find Jessica in those video.

Boston Bruins’ Zdeno Chara ‘disappointed’ by boos after injury.
    Article by Dave Stubbs

Is this Neanderthal for real?? After what he did in our barn last year! He is lucky to be allowed in our Country!

73. SteverenO says:

Exposing the myths: (repeat from previous thread)

Hal Gill is by all accounts a nice guy. teamates like him and there is no doubt that he gives it the good old 110% night in and night out.

The common “wisdom” is that he is a great penalty killer, not usable on the power play, below average offensively at even strength and average to below average defensively at even strength.

what are the facts?
    According to goals scored/allowed per minute of ice time.:

Even strength Defense:
    Out of our 8 defenseman (including Weber) Gill ranks 6th slightly ahead of Kaberle and Campoli.
    even Strength — Offense
    Gill ranks 5th ahead only of Kaberle (surprised?) and Weber

PowerPlay:
    On the PP Gill does not rank as he is never used (Personally I would be happier to see him used in front of the net than having Gomez out there)

Short Handed:
    Of the 4 defenseman that are used to kill penalties, Gill Subban Gorges and Diaz, Gill ranks third, Significantly well below Diaz and Subban , ahead slightly of only Josh Gorges.

There has been one powerplay goal scored by the opponents for every 15 minutes of ice time that Gill has been used to kill penalties.
    Josh Gorges is on for a Short handed goal against every 13 minutes.

Pk Subban, one every 21 minutes, and the best by far is Diaz who allows one goal aganst for evey 33 minutes of short handed ice time.

It`s obvious that our coach was familiar with the stats because last night instead of having Gill and Gorges play 8 minutes on the penalty kill while Subban and Diaz played but two minutes apiece, perhaps he would give his best penalty killers more ice time. Then again that is probably too much to expect from a coach who insists on playing Gomez on the PP.

As one of those that spoke the loudest and most often about the need to fire coach Martin, there is much that I like about RC. I think the team has more spunk, and they are far more entertaining to watch.

I have got to believe though that it should not be too difficult to find a coach who can both put together a decent game plan, and also be smart enough to either recognize the strength and weaknesses of his players, or failing that consult someone who can look up the statistics.

Playing Gomez on the PowerPlay is like bringing in a pitcher or your weakest hitting batter, to pinch hit for a better hitting regular with runners in scoring position.

Dressing 7 defenceman is a mistake. ALWAYS. If you have to dress 7 defenceman due to injury or whatever, one of the seven must play as a forward (a la Weber or Streit). If I remember correctly even Alex Henry was brought up and played pretty welll as a fourth line winger a couple of years ago.

The “fresher”opponents will always have an advantage later in the game.

Constant juggling of lines and defense pairings has never , and will never work; especially when the guy who is doing the juggling doesn`t even have the common sense to utilize the players according to their
    documented strengths and weaknesses.

regards,

Steve O.

• 123456 says:

i like those stats – they do not take into account the first and second PP units by opposing teams but whatever they do tell a story.

not sure if you noticed but on a few occasions gomez did enter the zone with the puck or dumped it in and hten went and got it. habs have very few players who can go get the puck on a dump in… but gomez was one of them last night.

• SteverenO says:

Gomez has played (incredibly) 69 minutes with the man advantage this season. during this time the team has scored but 3 PP goals. (one goal per 23 minutes)

Compare to AndreK. He has played 87 minuteswith the extra man. Th e team has scored 7 PP goals with AK on the PP unit. ( one goal every 12 .5 minutes) Almost twice as effective.

Patch, Cole and Desharnais, all between 9 and 10 minutes of P time per goal scored.

Bourque ;16 minutes on ice per PP goal, not great but better than Gomer Pyle.

regards,

Steve O.

• LA Loyalist says:

Interesting. But as much as I hate Gomez, our PP has never recovered from losing Markov, Wiz, Streit and Souray. Kabs showed a flash when he got here but… you’d think a vegan (PG) buying lots of yogurt, would know how to check a best-before date…

74. bel33 says:

Ahh Geez-us… the F’n Bruins better not get Nash… or even the Maple Loafs.

Can we get this friggin’ organization back on track so high profile players entertain the thought of coming to Montreal?

(not a comment on Nash as much as the state of the Habs)

75. Kooch7800 says:

sorry dude, I don’t see it

76. mdp2011 says:

I thought the same thing as I was scrolling down the page.

77. habs17 says:

deep inside pacioretty is not over it, he just says he is becuase u have to be politaclly correct and say the BS every1 wants to hear that he has moved on, no way u can move on from that, if i was PAC’S i would of been laughing my ass of at chara for getting a puck in the face

I support Scott Gomez

Grudge!! You have no idea what the word means! I get even! with any BULLY

79. PrimeTime says:

Laughing? That’s because you are you and max is not.

80. habs17 says:

good to see gomez sticking up for his teammates

I support Scott Gomez

81. shiram says:

Wo you are so tough.

82. habs17 says:

nothin wrong with a good scrap, u have lots of respect for ppl u fight

I support Scott Gomez

83. ABHabsfan says:

Gary Carter was my hero, right up till he was traded to the Mets then he was still OK. Anytime we played ball, which was constantly from about age 6 to 12, I was in my Expos #8 jersey. Not a great looking jersey granted but it was the best thing I owned and I sleeped in the thing.
    Those were the days, weren’t they? Kid, Hawk, Cro, Rock, Space Man, Speier, Wallach, Al Oliver, Steve Rogers (except that fastball to Rick Monday). My dad and I had World Series tickets in ’81 and I was going to see one guy, Kid Carter.
    What a player, what a leader, what a man ( he actually learned to speak french, nowadays players can’t even be bothered to learn english). Montreal Expos 1st superstar (I’ll give you Staub as an arguement).
    RIP Kid. #8

84. Chris says:

As somebody that almost did lose an eye while playing with sticks as an 8 year old in the schoolyard, I learned my lesson.

And while I had all sorts of small little chirpers who wanted to fight me to demonstrate their toughness (I was one of the larger guys in my rural high school), I managed to get by without fighting. Never saw the point then, don’t see it now.

85. powdered toastmann says:

+1…not sure why Habs managment (perennialy) could never grasp this simple concept

86. HabFanSince72 says:

Interesting use of “beast”.

A good pickup would be more apposite.

Still, it implies that Moen isn’t going there. Also that we could have gotten that same deal.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

87. shiram says:

Certainly, I just don’t think we will agree on hockey matters.

88. Stev.R says:

As Moen is a winger, there may still be a chance

89. Hobie Hansen says:

We can only keep our fingers crossed Moen goes nowhere and the Habs aren’t stupid enough to move him! Moen is awesome!