Multimedia from Canadiens’ Saturday practice

DiazRoom

Andrei Markov skated with athletic therapist Graham Rynbend after his teammates left the ice in Brossard.
Randy Cunneyworth said his defenceman is progressing “more quickly” and a return to action is foreseeable “on the horizon.”
Travis Moen is making progress as well.
In the room, the players talked about the Buffalo win and Hal Gill.

AUDIO of Randy Cunneyworth

1. RC-51 says:

As a Habs fan I have no problem with Blake G wearing #5

2. The Jackal says:

I’m watching the nucks vs. leafs game, and I don’t think the leafs are better than us! We may not end up in the show after game 82, but I don’t think the leafs will be making their post season debut this year.

• habsfanforever7631 says:

Haha those lafs maybe its time for them to go down!
      We’ll show them Who’s boss at game 82.

• Strummer says:

Leafs are losing and the Caps still not bringin’ it. They’ re down to the Bolts 1-0.

I thought the great Dale Hunter was all that.

I guess he doesn’t have a stacked junior team now. Things are way different.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”
      -Dennis Miller

3. The Dude says:

Imo the Habs have to think big or play golf forever! This team has done sh_t for 19 years with no SuperStar…we need Rick Nash!And for all those who say we don’t need him ,yeah your not a fan.You would rather the Leafs get eh? He’s what WE NEED !Patches,Price and Subban are untouchable but that leaves the rest to do the deal Goatman so save yer job and get THE REAL DEAL AND STOP FARTING AROUND…This is Les Canadiens !

• powdered toastmann says:

Reposted…Would be an opportunity for him to raise his performance ratings…(of all us armchair idiots based on these results)

Based on past Trade Deadline performance, to which GM would you award the highest grade?

Jay Feaster, Calgary Flames Steve Tambellini, Edmonton Oilers Pierre Gauthier, Montreal Canadiens Bryan Murray, Ottawa Senators Mike Gillis, Vancouver Canucks Brian Burke, Toronto Maple Leafs

Mike Gillis, Vancouver Canucks 47%
      Brian Burke, Toronto Maple Leafs 32%
      Bryan Murray, Ottawa Senators 10%
      Steve Tambellini, Edmonton Oilers 6%
      Jay Feaster, Calgary Flames 4%
      Pierre Gauthier, Montreal Canadiens 1%

for what it’s worth, not exactly a ringing endorsement for PG’s performance to date…but to be fair does not take into consideration recent moves.

• Mark C says:

Rick Nash isn’t a SuperStar, at least he hasn’t been one in years.

4. punkster says:

FYI…

TORONTO CAN SUCK IT!

Please go about your business.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

2-0 vancouver

6. habsfan1001 says:

nice goal burrows

7. Bozo McBozo says:

Have they pissed away the lead yet?

8. daveho29 says:

Is it wrong to cheer for the leafs tonight if you have a really good looking friend who is a big Leafs fan, at the game and made me promise to cheer for them tonight just for Her.
    Especially if she promises to make it worth my while later ;)

It hurts just thinking about the leafs winning.

PS. I was under the influence of alcohol and a pretty face when I made the promise.

Edit: It sure was fun taking the piss out of her all week for that 5-0 beat down we put on them :)

9. Sean Bonjovi says:

In the last few days the Flyers have traded 2 second round picks, 1 third, and 1 fourth for whom exactly, and to what end?

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
    - Sean Bonjovi

10. boonie says:

TSN is reporting flyers traded a 2nd and 4th for Kubina. This is the third unexpectedly high price for a D in a week. We should be able to move campoli and, with luck, kaberle.

anyone with a spare D should be moving them in the next two weeks. Carolina should have moved Gleason, will move spacek and Edmonton missed an opportunity with sutton.

11. RC-51 says:

If/when B.Geoffrion makes the big club permanently does he ask/get permission from grandmother and Habs to UN-retire his grandfathers #5 for him?

12. Daniel says:

2 Questions:

#1. We have the awesome line of Cole-DD-Patches, but we know DD is not #1 center, that’s should be Pleks. Who should be his wingers? And what happens when Gionta comes back? Put him on Pleks line? Would be a pretty “Short” line, or put him as #3 Center? I don’t get why some people here want Gionta/Pleks traded.

#2: Trade or not trade AK46? He has some skill, but he’s inconsistent and Habs have tried to develop him for many years. Seems to be bit of complainer, but doesn’t deserve to be with Gomez’s 4th line.

Other Notes: Thank god we got Emelin this year, Him, Gorges, and Subban are such a beast on D.

• Bigdawg says:

#1 – I think DD should be our #1 offensive line. Great chemistry on that line. We should not pull a carbo and mess it up. Plek should center our #1 two way line. See if Gio and plek can work together and throw on Bourque or AK and put them out against the other teams best.

#2 Keep AK if we can get him under a reasonable contract. 4M or less, 2-4 years.

Love the way the D are developing. Scared Markov may not hold on long term IF he comes back. One more top 2D could make us scrary good.

• Daniel says:

Thanks for responding. I never said break up the line, just that it would be weird for Gionta to be a winger or a 3rd center. Hopefully if Pleks/Gionta are together it won’t be to small.

Markov is still my favorite player/best player on Habs when he’s healthy, still 2 years left on his contract, so we can only hope. And I think Kaberle is better than Hamirlik/ Spacek / Diaz / Weber/ Campoli. I remember how good he was with the Lleafs against the Habs and always wanted him on the team. His contract is not as bad as overpaying for Gomez/Markov (As much as I like the player).

13. Bigdawg says:

A 2nd and 5th for Kubina to philly. that makes Campoli and even Kaberle movable. Go get somethin’ PiG!!

14. Psycho29 says:

Pavel Kubina traded from TB to the Flyers, pending league approval.
    Just announced on HNIC

15. HabsFan82 says:

If they get rid of AK – I hope they get something good in return – He’s a top 6 player on the habs anything less and this team can forget about making the playoffs if that’s what they have in mind.

16. HabFab says:

renhockey; A scout for the #canadiens was at the last 5 #bluejackets games.

Curious as to who, can’t see any of the big names coming here?

17. mr dave says:

with out looking at the cap space would any body out there in habs nation trade ak and bourke and a second round pick. for nash

the habs have 24 cups I have 24 beers

18. waisguy says:

Cunneyworth says we’re looking at Markov short term around the corner. That’s nice to hear.

19. HabFab says:

Stubbs twitter
    “dealt Gill same way they did Spacek in Dec.: told he was traded but not told for nearly an hour where he was going”

Come on PG, there has to be a better way!!

I asked Hal Gill for a few of his highlights w/ #Habs. Among them: “Learning from P.K. & hopefully teaching him a few things”

• joeybarrie says:

Why? What is the difference really if he says where or not? Does it make it better? Unless someone was there to hear the exact conversation we are guessing one way or the other and assuming it was done negatively. I have not heard anyone say anything bad about the way PG traded someone from the player.

• HabFab says:

Mystery re #Habs trade presumably is NHL approval. Gill jokes, “Why not wait & tell me all at once instead of keeping me on pins & needles?”

Does this help?

• Max says:

Wow…no big deal.It happens all the time in pro sports.He simply let him know he had been traded and a few loose ends had to be tied up before it was official.Gauthier did nothing wrong. Cut the drama please.

• ABHabsfan says:

Could have been PG was playing two teams off against each other for a better deal. Perhaps the other GM had not told his guys yet, I have no idea for sure, just a thought

• powdered toastmann says:

Yikes, Results of recent SportsNet popularity contest (I guess)…anyway here are the results concerning the 7 Canadian team GMs…

Mike Gillis, Vancouver Canucks 47%
        Brian Burke, Toronto Maple Leafs 32%
        Bryan Murray, Ottawa Senators 10%
        Steve Tambellini, Edmonton Oilers 6%
        Jay Feaster, Calgary Flames 4%
        Pierre Gauthier, Montreal Canadiens 1%

• ABHabsfan says:

You can respond to a poll like that with the quote from Sam Pollock, I don’t know it verbatim so I will not fake it but the gist, If you listen to the opinion of fans, you will son become one. Something like that. Gms only have to be popular with the owner, that’s it.

20. Bripro says:

Dave Stubbs of the Gazette will be replaying an interview he had today with Hal Gill. You can catch it at 6:05 at cjad.com, on Hefner’s locker room.

6 points back of Toronto and we play them twice in our barn. 4 points right there.
    We are not that far back, mission impossible is now possible!

If we get Moen and Markov back in a week or so, who knows!

22. Bripro says:

So Palushaj’s been called back up.
    The kid’s racking up the airmiles!

23. HabFab says:

In the NCAA game on right now, Josh Didier #4 for Denver (in red) is one of our defensive prospects. Our second pick last year 97th, is a stay at home D.

24. waisguy says:

In three years time Leblanc will be scoring 30 goals. Amen.

• roady says:

don’t think he’s a 30 goal man…10 -15 at best imo….gonna be more of a shut down 3rd line defensive type player….wish I was wrong…he will be a valuable player either way man…

take your drink to the end of the bar buddy…come on now, don’t be a fool…

25. WestHab says:

I think I understood that Cole gets the “A” nice choice.

“Merci beaucoup.” Randy Cunnyworth

When does Budaj get his next start? Not that i am keen to see him, but Price will need a rest soon I am thinking.

• Ian Cobb says:

Budaj is a pretty fair goal tender. Never complains, just works every day to keep ready.
      I would like to see him between the pipes more often.

• WestHab says:

Could be a while as there are no back to backs left this month. In March three weekends in a row. I don’t think they can wait that long to play Budaj. It might come after Price’s next so so game. Hopfully that doesn’t happen. All in all though I think PB has been a good back up.

“Merci beaucoup.” Randy Cunnyworth

• Bripro says:

He’s in a tough spot. I’m sure RC would like to play him more, but at the same time he’s gauging Price, who doesn’t seem to be tiring.
      With the intent being making the playoffs, they’ll need great goaltending. And Price has been hot lately.

27. GenerationYHabs says:

Darche is by no means my favorite player on the team but I have to admit the guy gives the most legitimate and honest interviews on the team.

He actually speaks to the reporters like a person rather then spewing the same rehersed cliche phrases over and over again and it’s refreshing to see.

28. waisguy says:

Hey guys. I wanted to hear your thoughts on Plekanec. Last season some were arguing whether he or Price was Hab’s mvp. He has been so so this season. I was expecting the current season to be his best.

29. Les Canayens says:

The Diaz picture at the top looks like a young Chuck Norris.

▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭
    Scouting is subjective.

Brian Elliot with a 13 save shutout today. This current St. Louis Blues team is playing some incredible hockey. Will this team go deep in playoffs? Has Brian Elliot really become the NHL’s best goalie, or this a product of a well coached quality team?

• habs17 says:

HAHAHAHA u said it yourself a 13 save shutout hahahah how is eliot the best goalie in the league stoppig 13 shots i think i could of got a shut out today

President of the Scott Gomez Fan Club

(I support Scott Gomez)

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Didn’t Pascal Leclaire lead the league in shutouts when Hitchcock coached Columbus?

• otter649 says:

Hitchcock also coached Steve Mason to a Calder Trophy & other awards when he was CBJ coach….

• savethepuck says:

He didn’t have the D or the backchecking defensively minded forwards when he was in Columbus, but I remember Mason’s #’s his rookie year when Hitch was coaching, and they were very impressive too.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• savethepuck says:

It is a product of a well coached quality team!!

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

Hey Dale, further to Markov. After having many discussions with my buddy about his knee surgery, there should have never been any expectations from the club for Markov to play prior to Christmas. Given he has had now over a year, and had the scar tissue cleaned out, I am very hopeful.

Given how Markov plays a game much like Lidstrom, we could get to enjoy watching him for the duration of his current contract plus. Keeping my fingers crossed.

• Bripro says:

I just hope he will not have lost any of his step and brilliance.
          He’s been away a long time.

• savethepuck says:

Been looking forward to seeing him back for a long time now. I didn’t need the Steve Hinkle ( think that’s right) article the other day to tell me how much better the team is and their record is with him in the lineup. It’s like night and day. The guy had a setback to no fault of his own and the commentariate on here jumps on him like a bunch of vultures. “he doesn’t care”, “he’s soft”, “he’ll never play again and if he does, he won’t be the same”. Was really sickening how people could turn on a guy that is as important to us as Lidstrom is to the Wings, Chara is to the Bruins, and Pronger is to the Flyers.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

• REB says:

In soccer a torn ACL is 9-12 months out. A D-man in hockey puts almost as much torque on the knee joint as a soccer player, so why we expected him back a lot sooner is beyond me.

31. aj says:

I thought the whole team is going to get a rest day. Its good that they did practiced for today, it does show that they are serious in this playoff push.

So, the games that will determine the Habs in the east standings are WAS vs TBL, TOR vs VAN, and NYI vs CAR.

Buffalo and Winnipeg will have games tomorrow like the Canadiens.
    If the Islanders, Canes, Lightning, or the Capitals will win today, our team could get dragged to 13th place. If Toronto wins, their lead win put them to 8pts. Tomorrow is a MUST win again for the Habs. Also, lets get our fingers crossed and hope that Winnipeg and Buffalo lose tomorrow.

32. mr dave says:

the habs have 24 cups I have 24 beers

Will be interesting to see if Mr. Cherry revisits Marchand’s recent low bridge hit. While I more often than not disagree with Don, he does indeed hate cheapshot hits.

34. AH says:

The way this season has gone is there any point in bringing Markov back, or should they just shelve him till next year and hopefully start fresh with him right out of the gate?

In my opinion it is imperative they find out how he is able to perform. Not every ACL Patellar tendon replacement is the same, but a guy that works for me had his knee done, same surgery when he was playing Junior hockey. He said the knee took about 1 year before he could really start play full out on it. However, it wasn’t till year 2 that he actually believed his knee was finally good. The mental hurdle will be the hardest for Markov. If he can get some games in this year and be pain free, this will bode well for his confidence over the summer as he works out etc…

To not know how he is really doing going into next year, will be a nightmare I feel.

• savethepuck says:

When he is ready, he will play. The organization and his doctors are already being cautious with him. A scope originally was supposed to put him out 3 to 5 weeks, that was approx. 9 weeks ago. I’m guessing they intentionally gave him the extra rest because there would be less risk of discomfort when he started his rehab. Marky will not rush, the Habs will not rush him, but as soon as they feel he’s 100% he’ll be in the lineup. Pointless to keep him out longer than necessary, he hasn’t played an NHL game in nearly 16 months .

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

Do you recall the date of his surgery with Dr. Andrews in Birmingham? It was about this time last year wasn’t it?

• savethepuck says:

I thought it was closer to Christmas or maybe New Years. He came back for 7 games, I think in November last year before getting injured again. Fairly sure he didn’t play in December.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

• savethepuck says:

Just found he was injured against carolina November 13th, 2010. Operated on December 8th 2010.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

35. mr dave says:

if and that is a big if, the habs make the playoffs could they be faceing off against the rangers . and if so could there be an up set like the ones against the pens and caps? %wise 50/50 or better or worse.they seem to have there number like the booins. MYglass is always full when it comes to the habs (thats why i have a wife to get my beer ) just jokeing hunny i’ll erase it before i post this. NOT…..
    spring is not the same with out the habs in the playoffs just to painful, to think about that now .make the playoffs anything can happen no cup this year but next year who knows.
    “go habs go”

• habs17 says:

i completley agree, when i think of spring i think of nhl playoffs, i think of longer days, warmer days, and i think o NHL playoffs just the atmosphere at playoff time is so exciting, everythning just seems better at that time of year

President of the Scott Gomez Fan Club

(I support Scott Gomez)

• mr dave says:

so you think if we get in the habs could get past the rangers

• habs17 says:

ya most defintley we will have to be one of the hottest teams in the league if we make the playoffs, and its something about the mystique when the habs make the playoffs we always are a hard out and the habs have had plenty of upsets in the last few years i say habs in 6

President of the Scott Gomez Fan Club

(I support Scott Gomez)

• AH says:

I definitely will not join your fan club, but I agree with you re: the rangers; they are one team I believe that Habs could handle. The Rangers don’t impress me at all. I wouldn’t want those scum Bruins in the first round though…

• mr dave says:

the habs have 24 cups I have 24 beers

Pittsburgh is the team I fear the most, with or without Crosby. Bruins, if they don’t get Horton back are a different team. That top line looks largely ineffective without Horton. Obviously would take great heroics to beat Boston, but you know they still hate playing us, as to the fans of the Bruins, too many memories for them. Would definitely rather play Rangers over Penguins/Bruins.

36. TorontoHabsFan says:

Re-post:

So even though we appear to be in full-blown selling mode – how do we feel about packaging one of our four 2nd rounders in the next two years and try and get Brassard from CLB?

He has two yrs left @ $3.2m/yr, and he seems to have rebounded from his horrible start (12 pts in the last 19 games). Has some size (6’1″ 200 lbs), and hits a bit (90 hits this season).

He’s listed as a Centre, but I believe he’s played the wing in the past as well.

Would you flip AK for Brassard? At this point the Blue Jackets need youth, but they also need salary dumping. The owner there is going to lose his shirt this year with the payroll and no playoffs.

37. joeybarrie says:

Do I think the Habs will make the playoffs??? NO
    Can they make the playoffs??? YES

To those of you saying stupid stuff like ‘does anyone really think the Habs are gonna make the playoffs’….
    I say simply this:
    I had a LINE of people at my desk here in Washington DC 3 days in a row telling me the same thing. ‘UH you know the series is gonna end tonight,right. You don’t seriously think you can beat the Caps do you?’
    I told them the same thing I’m gonna tell you all. There are a few things that 24 Stanley Cups teaches you… First, win 4 games, then talk about winning the series. Second, February is not April.

• habs17 says:

i’ll answer your question for you the habs will make the playoffs so enjoy the ride, it is going to be part of habs history

President of the Scott Gomez Fan Club

(I support Scott Gomez)

• joeybarrie says:

Ill just be happy when on April 7th I’m in the stands watching the game, when Scott Gomez scores his 15th goal of the season with 1 minute remaining to beat the Leafs by one for the last playoff spot.

38. mdp2011 says:

@ HardHabits,

You say they need 17 wins in their last 23 games to get 92 points, but i say the Habs could have 14 wins and lose 9 and still get to 92 points.

39. Classic Pic

Shane Oliver
    http://www.Sholi2000.com Inc.
    Custom Sports Figures
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

40. habs17 says:

i usually dont say this but i feel really good, “remember who said this” The habs WILL make the playoffs i GURANTEE it

President of the Scott Gomez Fan Club

(I support Scott Gomez)

How is the Gomez fan club membership drive going? I have to believe the goal last night is helping. If Scotty had finished off that 2 on 1 with Eller for a 2 goal game, I suspect you are hiring a receptionist today.

41. Sportfan says:

Seeing the people talk about Emelin here’s a video with some of his hits not greatest quality but its cool he’s such a beast sign him long term !

42. twocents says:

HH, regarding the Markov factor, it had been in effect long before Komo’s contract.

Craig Rivet turned into Gorges and Max due to it.

43. novahab says:

I said at the begining of this week Markov is two weeks from playing. I stick by that, and lets see how he progresses next week. I might be off but it won’t be by much. Gill got moved not because the Habs are sellers . He was moved, because that was one sweet deal and Markov is close.

44. novahab says:

yes 86 points could do it. I believe just a few years ago 88 points got a a eastern team in the playoffs, because we lost to Toronto on the final day. The Leafs are only 6 points ahead, and they still play the Habs 2 more times. The Jets are up and down and could easly lose 3 or 4 in a row. Bottom line, one game at a time guys, just keep winning. As far as the Toronto media saying the Habs are sellers for moving Gill, what a laugh. Wishfull thinking, because they hear foot steps running at them.

45. novahab says:

Anyone who thinks the Habs need to win 17 more games and get 92 points to make the plays of is dead wrong. Its is posible this year 86

46. :lol:

Flyers looking for a Goalie! 5-3 Pens

I’d be calling St Louis, they have three extra goalies and they are all NHL ready.

Nice work Habs!!!!

Shane Oliver
    http://www.Sholi2000.com Inc.
    Custom Sports Figures
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

47. twocents says:

I’d love to see Gill come back here in a few years as the D coach.

48. smiler2729 says:

Well, I guess they all miss Hal Gill in the room and on the ice, hell, I miss the big lug and he didn’t look happy leaving nor did I think he wanted to leave but bottom line – if they weren’t 8 pts or whatever out of a playoff spot in mid February then he’d still be here, let’s move on.

__________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

49. H.Upmann says:

@habs-Hampton: I wondered myself, and can think of two ways of analysing his awesome hits: (1) physical conditioning: especially heavy power-lifting to go along with regular weight training, and (2) his approach towards his target (speed, direction etc) and perhaps how he throws the hit ie does he turn to deliver more weight etc or does he hit straight on etc…. (apologies to any physics & sports med ppl on here, just a guess :)

• habs-hampton says:

and he’s just as likely to throw a hit check as knock the wind out of you with the shoulder. Don Cherry should pay attention. He’s one of the few guys giving him footage of CLEAN hits for his next DVD.

50. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

The situation for Pierre Gauthier reminds me a lot of Bryan Murray’s in Ottawa last year. It seemed everyone wanted Murray out as GM, and it sure looked like the logical bet. Somehow, he got Melnyk’s support and stayed on for the retool at the deadline last year. He surprisingly made a couple of good trades, and he is still there now while they look to be a playoff team.

I think PG will be here at least until the end of next year. He may have convinced Molson that they will be retooling and building around the young core. If he makes a couple more astute trades at the deadline, along the same lines as the Gill trade, this could be a similar situation to Ottawa’s.

Also, for those screaming for Kaberle to be traded, I think that while he hasn’t been great, trading him now would be a mistake. His value is pretty low. PG brought him in to be a PP, puck-moving D. He didn’t give up anything to get him. For those screaming about the cap hit, there will be plenty of room once they deal with Gomez. Gomez will not suit up for the Habs next year. Zero chance. If Kaberle produces well next year (his current pace puts him at about 40-45 points in a season, which isn’t bad), he becomes much more valuable at the deadline because he’ll only have one more year left on the deal.

PG can also do another re-tool next year by trading Kaberle, Gionta (if healthy) and maybe Plekanec if Eller has continued his development. I think it’s important to keep building around the youth. If we win, terrific. If not, and we are in the same position next year as we are now, we can position ourselves for a run at McKinnon and have a ton of cap space to throw at more premier UFAs in 2013.

• Bill says:

If you’re going to “build around youth” – which you can’t do forever – you still need to keep the core guys. Plekanec is a core guy.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Plekanec is a core guy, but if Eller keeps developing and Desharnais is for real, Pleks becomes less needed and the return for him could be really great. I’m not saying he should be traded, but under the right set of circumstances, it could be worth it. What if we finish bottom 5 and luck out with Grigorenko or Galchenyuk at the draft? Pleks becomes more expendable then.

51. twocents says:

Here’s the type of thing I am crowing about. Posted two threads back, late in a discussion:

“February 18, 2012 at 1:29 pm
    Weber is crap…when he grows up big and strong and gets better, he’ll be a campoli”

Some facts: Weber is 23. Has averaged 15 minutes of ice time when he has played this year. He is 73rd in points per game among NHL defenceman. Considering there are 30 teams, that puts him as a top 3 point getter among defenceman any many teams in the NHL. In fact it puts him closer to number two on many.

His rate of production is better than: Mezzaros, Corvo, Gardiner, Whitney, Sbisa, Seidenberg, Vlasic, Girardi, Robidas, Fowler, Hedman, Beauchemin, and Schenn.

The fact is I don’t think we should keep both him and Diaz, but statements like the one above are what makes this place what is, too much of the time.

52. habs-hampton says:

Is there ANYONE in the league that hits harder than Emelin? He doesn’t run at guys, but he just demolishes them when he hits. I’m not sure how he does it, he’s big, but not Byfelin-big. Shawn Thornton found the hard way. You can’t tell me the opposition isn’t aware of when he’s on the ice.

53. db says:

I’m happy with the team the way they are playing. I’d like to see Campoli, Moen and even AK moved for some solid assets. I think this team has played below what they have been capable of all year, it’s time to shed some assets and see if they can rise up.

Tanking is never an option. These guys will give their all and I like watching them play.. I’m ok if they lose properly, with effort. I don’t think this coaching staff will let anyone take a night off.. it’s only gonna take a difference of 6-8 points from a lotto pick to a playoff spot. Anything can happen and I’m ok with all of it.

Now… about that April summit in Playa del Carmen..

54. j0nHABS says:

Can’t wait to see Marky back! I almost forget what he looks like on the ice! I wonder how far on the horizon are we talking about?

55. Phil C says:

I can’t respond to posts because I am using an iPhone, but I agree with the posters who say selling does not always mean tanking. As long as you have the organizational depth to replace the player, you can sell your UFAs with minimal impact. Now that White is back, the Habs can afford to sell Moen if they can’t sign him. Ditto for Campoli. They have no one to replace AK, so I would keep him unless the offer is amazing. If they can turn Gill into three prospects, and Moen and Campoli into two more while retaining their own picks, the future looks much better, especially if Timmins continues with his talent for finding late-round gems.

56. rwp1990 says:

I really like what RC is doing – not sure exactly what it is though…is it too late to petition the league office for a Saturday night game?
    Hoping the Leafs lose in the late game doesn’t seem like enough for me…

c’est le but!
    Bob in Ottawa

57. The Defensive corps aren’t the only ones that have an increased workload with Gill gone.

58. b_whalen13 says:

Not sure how reliable the forth period is, but they say the Habs are on the verge of making another deal, and it suggests AK well be the next domino to fall. They also say that several teams have been inquiring about Cole. Here’s the link

• J_P says:

They claim to be referencing the gazette. Teams can inquire about cole all they want, hes ours now so tough luck for them lol

As for AK, judging from his recent ice time, almost seems set in stone that he will be traded. A little silly considering well probably have to overpay to replace him in the summer, or pray that one of our current prospects comes to camp as a 20-25 goal scorer.

59. Boomer says:

I remember reading this article about habs prospect Darren Dietz here on HIO before the season started.
    Last night he tied a whl record for most goals in a game by a defensman (4).

60. Chuck says:

I still say they make the playoffs.

• twocents says:

Attaboy, Chuck.

The way I see it, I’m fine with things either way. I like the youth and direction of the team a lot right now. If they get playoff experience this year, it will prepare them better down the road.

If they fail to make it, they are still a great bunch of kids with many more to come and hopefully our pick will show a strong return.

• mdp2011 says:

I still think they can too, they will need some help from other teams, but it looks very possible.

• showey47 says:

It is a possibility if you look at the sched. 2 vs the caps,2 vs the panthers,2 vs the leafs and 3 vs the sens. All games will obviously be big but these are the ones that are essentially must wins(preferably in regulation) if you want to leap frog teams directly ahead of you.

61. Phil C says:

It’s hard not to get a little excited about the possibility of seeing Markov. The team is 5-1-1 in its last seven, and held third period leads in the two non-wins. Two games were shutouts and the Islanders were held scoreless until the end of the game. The DD line has been looking dangerous almost every game. The PP is 5 for its last 14, well above their season average. They look tougher, bigger, and faster. Both Subban and Emelin are emerging as bonafide top four d-men. The only hole in the line-up is that they lack a fourth top-four defenseman – and now they say Markov might be back? The playoffs are a longshot at best, but the Eastern conference top 8 are all struggling a little bit right now (except the Rangers), and the Habs have a favourable schedule. If it is possible, the script certainly includes getting Markov back.

• savethepuck says:

The return of Markov will eliminate the need for dressing 7 DMen. Other than PK, he is the only DMan we have that plays great 5 on 5, the powerplay, and on the penalty kill. Our bottom guys right now can not give us that luxury. The reason we have to dress 7 D is they can do the little things but not all. Our D will improve 10 fold with his return. Looking forward to him returning and making a lot of people on here eat crow that he will never be the same and he’s fragile. He’s our longest running Hab, and when healthy, our best player, which way too many on here have sadly forgotten.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

62. AndyF says:

I truly hope he’s not coming back this year. I’d prefer to have him healthy for the balance of his contract than to prove a point about the speed of his rehab. Remember the last time the team rushed him back?

Fail for Nail

63. durocher says:

FYI, Geoffrion is wearing #51 in Hamilton (#5 is taken by Alex Henry, #55 by Garrett Stafford). Robert Slaney is wearing #3 (which is odd for a forward).

64. savethepuck says:

So reading all the comments, H I/O is basically split into 2 teams. One team wants this team to push for a playoff spot and thinks 6 points is not insurmountable. The other team hopes they trade off all assets to stockpile picks and prospects for the future and this should result in the team falling in the standings for a top 5 pick, possibly even catching the lottery ball to get Nail. There are also a few that think we can trade assets for prospects and still make a run at the playoffs.
    Can we all agree that tonight we will all be hoping for Tampa to beat Washington. For those who want a higher draft pick, it drops the Habs in the standings. For those who want the Habs to make the playoffs, they don’t lose any ground on a team they are chasing. I hope it goes without saying that everyone wants the Nucks to beat the Laffs tonight, because let’s face it, it’s the Laffs.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• Shane1313 says:

I think you’re right!
      I think it makes perfect sense that we continue our pace and push for the playoff. It is only 6 points. At the same time if the deal is right to look a bit better down the line, do it like we did yesterday. A nice balance.

• durocher says:

The two views aren’t irreconcilable — the UFAs (Moen, AK46, Campoli) aren’t integral to our push to the playoffs. For example, Moen has been injured during our latest stretch. True, we need warm bodies if they are traded, especially on D. But trading them wouldn’t necessarily harm our chances to make the playoffs. If PG can get a return for one of these three like he did for Gill, he should pull the trigger again.

• chilli says:

Trading Bit Tits, Moen and Campoli will have zero impact on whether we win or lose games. Trade em now.

Tre

• mb says:

Well I guess I’m one of the few who think that the team can conciliate both trading assets for picks, while still competing until the end.

I’m all for trading players who, honestly, are not essential for a playoff push, and get some prospects in return. I think rebuilding or re-tooling doesn’t necessarily mean the team has to finish last. If we finish low and draft high, then good. But if we finish in the middle of the pack (which is what is most likely to happen) and get an average draft pick, it doesn’t mean we can’t rebuild for the future.

As fot the games tonight, I really hope no one is gonna disagree with you on that one! May the Leafs lose all their remaining games and I’ll be happy.

• Stev.R says:

I don’t think winning games and trading UFAs is incompatible. The players and fans worry about winning games, Management can worry about the future. Lets live in the now. Winning has never had ill effects on young players.

65. Shane1313 says:

I love the atmosphere on here today. All this winning. Why can’t we play tonight!

66. HabFab says:

Was going to b!tch about the 4th thread today but after seeing the videos…great job Mike! Now go and enjoy your “therapy night”.

67. twocents says:

Okay, so where are the know-it-all’s that said Markov was finished?

The ones who responded to posters who expressed hope of his return with things like, “face reality, Markov will never play another NHL game”?

Where are those guys?

• Mark C says:

All the winning has scared that crowd off.

• HabFab says:

Lurking in the darkness of cyberspace, waiting to pounce on the unwary!!

It’s going to be Awesome to see him back on the ice! I am pumped.

• ProHabs says:

Lets not get all giggly here over Markov. We were told at the beginning of the year and again in November that he was near a return and he still hasn’t played a game yet this year. We have heard management say he was close to a return already and nothing. I will believe when I see him back on the ice playing a real NHL game.

And it is funny that management is saying he is progressing “more quickly”. Whatever. He has his knee scooped in December and said he would be back in 3-6 weeks. It has been over 9 weeks now. Ridiculous the BS management has feed to us fans.

• twocents says:

Whose getting giggily?

The point is, some people around here like to shoot their mouths off like they know something for certain, when there’s no possible way they can, ’cause no one effin’ knows. Moreover, they insult other posters for being out to lunch and then disappear when their point is looking dubious.

As for your frustrations with time lines, the human body is not a machine. I suspect the “more quickly” comment is in the context of only having started skating about a week ago, not from the context of the ‘scope date.

To counter your view, I’ll believe Markov is finished when he announces his retirement.

• pH-Habs says:

I have to agree somewhat with Prohabs. And don’t get me wrong, I love Marky. But even when he comes back, I’m going to be in fear. He went down so quickly last time and showed us all that anything is possible.

• mb says:

I for one said I thought he wouldn’t play again, but I also said I’d be more than happy to be wrong. If he comes back and stays healthy (and that’s the most important thing to me, because we never know how his knee will react in games), I’ll be thrilled. I just love this player.

However, I agree with ProHabs. We’ve been told he was close to a return several times now, without anything happening. I guess I’ll believe it when I finally see it. But then again, if he comes back to play this season, I’ll be up and cheering for him. He’s a very important piece of this team.

• twocents says:

Doubting his return is one thing.

Stating unequivocally that he will never return and/or portraying posters who doubt his demise as being clueless is another thing.

• mb says:

Well, I didn’t see those posts so I can’t argue about that. All I remember reading is posters like me who doubted his return. But anyway, I guess I didn’t miss anything in these posts.

• habs001 says:

the same place the posters who said he will be playing in november than december etc…the reality is no poster knows when he will be back but more importantly at what level will he eventually be able to get to

• twocents says:

Exactly! Which brings us to something we can actually provide opinions on. In my view, an 80% effective Markov is still a valuable asset. Less than that and the gamble would have been a less than great, to poor, return.

68. gp52 says:

why aren’t there any trades going on? this is driving me nuts.

69. durocher says:

I’m looking forward to Markov and Emelin skating as a pair on the Habs blueline. Subban and Gorgy make a good top pair.

The question mark for me is the bottom pairing — Kaberle should be bought out in my view, and Diaz is serviceable but small and not all that effective on the PP. Even less can be said about Weber. I’d like to see us upgrade that bottom pairing, as the top four appear to be set.

• Mark C says:

Has Kaberle really been that bad? You are talking about throwing away ~1.5M in cap space for each of the next 4 years.

• twocents says:

The fact is Kaberle is still trade-able if Markov returns and he is unneeded. Even if that happens this summer.

His salary is too high sure, but not by a ton for a guy how can put up the points he does from the back end. His term is nothing to scare anyone off.

Worst comes to worse you end up having to take a little salary in return to lessen the hit blow, by taking a player on a one way contract who is sitting and not contributing.

This place is full of drama queens.

I remember tons of posters saying Gill wasn’t worth anything on the market not that long ago.

• showey47 says:

I still think kaberle can still fetch us a very nice return in a trade imho,i just don’t think it would be this year due to his bad start in carolina. If PG receives a similar offer to what we got for gill then i would say move him. The better move might be to let kaberle start the season in montreal.Say what you want about his defence,the guy has been putting up points here. Its not out of the question to say he can put up 50 points in a full season in montreal.To me this is a perfect buy low,sell high scenerio.

• twocents says:

I agree, Showey.

It might be even more so the case if he and Markov hook up on the PP down the stretch and get really hot.

Kaberle could fetch a very nice return down the road.

• DorvalTony says:

Nah, just hyenas making him their latest whipping boy. We’ve discussed this in the past and likely will see it in the future. Brisebois, Harper, Lemaire, Rousseau, Cammalleri, lots of Ch have heard the yips and yaps.

70. munch17 says:

It will be interesting to see how Blake Geoffrion develops – he was the Hobie Baker wiiner for best college hockey player in U.S.
    College players take a little longer to develop – I hope he’s one of them.

71. HabFanSince72 says:

The stats geeks who tell you that just watching the games is misleading and what you really need is to look at the advanced stats remind me of this of Mac vs PC ad.

PC shows Mac his family vacation with a pie chart:

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• HabFab says:

Good one, although I thought that pie chart looked remarkably like the one comparing Gomez’s Fenwick with DD’s. Just kidding! Don’t understand the Fenwick and Corsi thing and frankly Scarlett…don’t give a damn!!

72. Sharks9 says:

Good news about Markov! Would love if he could play 15-20 games so we can have some idea of whether his signing was a total waste, or just a waste for this year.

25 before 14

• von says:

We’ve made it this far without him, I’d almost rather have him just rehab for the remainder of this season and take the summer to be 100% ready to go for training camp.

Habs seems to have been guilty of rushing guys back lately… I.E. Markov, Moen.

_________________________________

“Obviously it would be great, but they don’t really hang conference titles in this rink. They raise Stanley Cup banners.” – Carey Price

• DorvalTony says:

I want my money back. Wet newspaper knees.

73. savethepuck says:

Looks like the DMan everybody thinks we need and should try to go out and get from another team is getting close to a return and already in our organization. Great freaking news. With his return, I guarantee you, no more dressing 7 DMen, because he can play in all situations. I assume he’s not having the discomfort in his knee before it was scoped and it was wise to give him the extra rest after the scope to make sure it healed properly.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

74. Bill says:

Nobody seriously thinks the Habs are going to make the playoffs at this point, do they?

Full Breezer 4 Life

When your magic 8 ball told you so certainly the exact points required to make playoffs this year did u by chance also get this weeks Lotto 649 numbers? Next time you go to the future it would be so kind of you if u could just check on these little things.

Thanks in advance!

76. Bripro says:

You’re basing yourself on the assumption that they’ll need 93 points or better. The reality is they’re only 6 points out of 8th place. They’ve gained 6 points in the standings since the all-star break, and they’re playing their best hockey of late.
    Who says the teams currently hovering around 8th place will even accumulate 93 points or better.
    If they can rid themselves of the inconsistencies, lose the defensive-zone brain cramps, I think they still have a decent chance.
    And as I’ve posted before, if they make the playoffs, chances are they’ll be one of the hottest teams going in, and that’s a good recipe for success.

Hmmmmm weird I played those numbers last week, this is just getting weird now, like you are some witch or something.

78. novahab says:

Stats are for losers , loser see you in the playoffs.

79. :lol:

Shane Oliver
    http://www.Sholi2000.com Inc.
    Custom Sports Figures
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

Agree Bri, let’s see what happens and enjoy the run if they continue playing better. Don’t mind HH, the big fire at the BP refinery yesterday has increased fuel prices. Filling up a tank is not cheap.

81. Exactly, I’m enjoying the ride, and laughing my ass off at the same time.

If the TCs want to whine, bitch and complain that none of us are like them then too bad.

TC “sniff sniff, no one will listen to me”

:lol:

Custom Sports Figures
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

83. habstrinifan says:

Bill if Leaf, Washington and Islanders lose tonight and Habs win tomorrow and Markov returns (see my post at 8:28 this am) then it is very very possible. Washington is playing Tampa so Tampa will gain but rather that than Caps move farther ahead.

84. twocents says:

We made the playoffs with 88pts two years ago, HH.

Your dancing around that, aren’t you?

85. twocents says:

And Souray got the coin he did as a UFA, cause of our man.

86. twocents says:

Perhaps it was a bellwether..

87. joeybarrie says:

by the time these guys start to affect the league Markov will be Spaceks age. Besides why would we wait for 4 years? Why not try our best NOW and add them when they are ready?
    why does it always have to be one or the other?

88. mdp2011 says:

Not saying it is going to happen, but it doesn’t seem nearly as impossible as saying they need 17 wins in 23 games.

89. ahhhhh what’s da matter whittle fella, don’t like seeing the same old crap over and over

:lol:

Shane Oliver
    http://www.Sholi2000.com Inc.
    Custom Sports Figures
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

90. GrimJim says:

Low blow, HH.
    Anyone who has served for more than 20 years in the military and been injured multiple times while in that service deserves their retirement regardless of their age.
    Referee declares one point removed from HH’s scorecard

Far less shock and awe when you frame the picture as you presented it mdp. Given the Tanks role in most wars, Shock and Awe are imperative!

CHeers mdp.

92. punkster says:

You know, there are days when I actually miss TripleX.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

93. No need Jim, but thanks. He just doesn’t get it.

Shane Oliver
    http://www.Sholi2000.com Inc.
    Custom Sports Figures
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

94. GrimJim says:

Not ever, ever ever,
    Go wash your mouth out.

95. punkster says:

Heh…he would have fit in well in this discussion.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

96. twocents says:

He’s still around, Dave.

What is it again that he goes by…

97. punkster says:

Twocents…really? I Haven’t stumbled across anyone that quite reminds me of him so far.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

98. punkster says:

Kids today!

***Subbang Baby!!!***

99. mr dave says:

totally agree bring them up now ,not in 4year tyler myers made the big show with buffalo so why not tinordi, i say play them next year hope they can mature at a good pace so they can stay with the big club and not have to go back to hamilton
    the habs have 24 cups I have 24 beers

100. Max says:

Man, you must have an enormous amount of time on your hands!

101. punkster says:

I gave up after “Ha Trash Bid” and “Rep Stunk”.

I think the anagram server is on to us.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

102. HabFab says:

Sounds like too much time spent in an enclosed tank breathing diesel fumes!!

103. punkster says:

Hey, you went to college with me?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

104. HabFab says:

Those were NOT diesel fumes ;)

105. punkster says:

You’re right. It was groovin’ on Jimmy Smith and Stanley Turrentine.

***Subbang Baby!!!***