Multimedia: DD line shines in Canadiens’ win over Lightning

Budaj

“That’s it,” Randy Cunneyworth grinned at the end of his postgame press coneference.
“Nobody wants to ask me about Peter Budaj’s two assists.”
The coach could joke about his goaltender’s gaffe – a pass on the tape to Vincent Lecavalier for Tampa bay’s only goal.
Laughs came easily after the 5-2 win.

AUDIO: Randy Cunneyworth

1. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I am surprised mostly with all the options of candidates out there for Montreal’s new GM, considering the prerequisites necessary to the Montreal market …bilingual, …Francophone, …Quebec-born …highly qualified
    …there are many options each with unique skill-sets and experience
    …I am surprised with the high interest I sense from those candidates to take-on the unique challenges of being a GM in Montreal
    …it says a lot how special the Canadiens remain in the hearts of many toiling for other NHL teams, otherwise they would be all be saying ‘thanks, but no thanks’
    …this is such an important opportunity to make ‘the right decision’ …critical for Our future …critical ‘to get it right’
    …Brisebois was, to Me, the most logical choice until I heard that Pat Brisson was crazy enough to ‘listen’ and consider the possibility …Brisson as Habs’ GM would have so many extra ‘intangibles’ that Brisebois (though an excellent choice himself) can not offer
    …this summer, with new Coaching staff, free agents, high draft pick, and GM and wildly diverging opinions on what is right re-imaging our hockey culture, will be far more exciting, interesting and stimulating than this dog’s breakfast of a hockey season :)

_________________________________________________________
    HIS’ Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song; Morrissey ‘There is a light that never goes out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjObvIQtsLk&feature=related
    _________________________________________________________
    What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Does an agent have a resume to be a GM. It is an interesting question. Think about what an agent does for a living. He gets to know his players GMs and he negotiates with them for the best deal possible for that player. He also has to consider what is best for his player (if he is a good agent). So through all of this I am guessing an agent picks up on alot of different GM’s strengths and weaknesses.

Of course this provides little to no help in Pro Scouting, or does an agent in recruiting talent almost do the same thing.

It is an interesting question, however, one thing I think we all know is that today’s pro sports are governed more and more by player contracts and CBA’s than ever before. Perhaps having one of the best agents as your GM isn’t a bad thing.

3. Phil C says:

As a player agent, Brisson knows the CBA insideout. He knows how to negotiate hockey contracts and assign player value, which is very important in a hard cap system. He is a successful businessman as well, showing leadership and intelligence. He played hockey in the Q. And of course, he speaks French. It’s not a bad combination of skills. Former agents can be good GMs, look at Gillis in Vancouver.

His current client list reads like an all-star team roster, so those contacts could be useful. The fact that the top stars choose him says a lot about his competence, IMO.

Well I hope the tanks can sleep well tonight. I personally was happy that the team showed good effort. While I respect and want the best player in the draft, I also cannot accept the players giving a less than full effort. They are supposed to be Pro’s afterall.

5. habstrinifan says:

Before I go to sleep tonight I am gonna wait up to get at least one response to the following:

I just read up a little on GM candidate Pat Brisson. Only because there was only a ‘little’ to read online.

Am I missing something??? Why is Pat Brisson such a ‘high profile’ prospect for the GM job in Montreal?

And the silliness of his super-agent status as somehow being a ‘plus’ in this situation…. how so???

• smiler2729 says:

Because he’s not Pierre Gauthier.

__________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• CanadienBoy says:

The way i look at it he is the only guy who could handle Roy as coach

• matt jordan says:

Because when Crosby becomes a UFA he will undoubtedly sign with his former agent.

• kirbhabs says:

It is the new reality of today’s GM’ship. He is a top candidate because he knows the CBA and contract negotiations inside and out, plus he is doing it for some of the most high profile players… hence he is considered the best at it. By virtue of his job and status, he has a relationship with other agents and players giving him an inside tract in how they think. Very useful for a GM today. In the past, a great GM was a former player as they had inside tract on players. There is too much money at stake and contracts make and break the team in a salary cap world… plus he is bilingual. The hockey smarts part will be a group effort.

• habstrinifan says:

I hope you dont mind if I point out that ‘no where’ in your post do you even hint that he has the skill or experience to fulfil the first task of a GM as pointed out by Geoff Molson himself… I dont have to quote it here. You google it and weigh the requirements against the qualifications of Mr Brisson as you posted.

I don’t pretend to have any knowledge of why Pat Brisson should be a candidate for GM. But I do know he is considered a very bright agent and if indeed he can play the card of Crosby as an UFA in 1 years time I ask you what other potential GM could play the same card?

I am in no way endorsing Brisson, but to discredit him completely may be premature.

• habstrinifan says:

I am NOT discrediting him. I am asking a very simple direct answer. I read his bio… what I could find on the internet. Can someone point me to a more extensive bio showing qualifications specific to being a highly sought-after GM. Simple question really.

I don’t have that information, sorry I cannot help. But I am putting some faith in Molson and Savard.

• Matt04 says:

A little late to the party here, but I feel like chipping in my two anyway. Habstrinifan, why are you having such a difficult time wrapping your head around why Brisson is being considered as a candidate? First, let me say that I am not championing him as the best choice (although I’m very intrigued by the possibility), and furthermore I doubt he’ll update his resume to include GM (at least right now). Basically, Breezer hit the nail (not Yaku) on the head with his post. What other qualifications are you looking for? “Comes with a magic wand?”

• Bill says:

I guess agents have a pretty good handle on the CBA and salary cap … at least they should. Clearly they are experienced negotiators and would need to have a good knowledge of players both in and outside of the NHL.

In the case of Brisson, he’s an exceptional agent in terms of spotting talent and probably helping to direct it. He’s well connected with just about everyone important in the NHL and has working relationships with most general managers. That’s a plus. Finally, it’s worth noting that he has a hockey background as well, having played in the Q under Pat Burns.

He’s not a left-field candidate. He has no GM experience, which is a concern, but he’s not inexperienced with hockey or with the workings of the NHL. He doesn’t look bad to me. But I doubt he’s really willing to give up his lucrative job.

Full Breezer 4 Life

6. Say Ash says:

Budaj, I commend you for your individual effort tonight. The rest of the team let you down.

7. The Juice says:

Was the DD line together on day 1? If not, as anybody calculated how many goals the DD line has scored since its been together this season?

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

• MF says:

They got put together around game #20, since then they are pretty much a point a game each…

That’s also easily 5 extra wins… maybe more with the number of OTLs…

8. Hab it says:

Man, where would this team be without that line? Other than Pleks, there wasn’t another forward on this team that seemed to break a sweat.

And am I ever glad Vinny is Yzerman’s problem for the next decade. He looks slower than molasses in January. The decline has started. His contract makes Gomez’ look brilliant.

• HardHabits says:

Just think. It could have been Carey Price, Tomas Plekanec and a prospect for Lecavalier if Bettman didn’t step in and nix the deal.

• ProHabs says:

Can you imagine the legacy Bobo Gainey would have had if that trade had gone through. And I think that prospect you are talking about was PK SUbban. Thank goodness for Buttman.

You should like that deal, Halak would still be here then? No? Or would you find a way to change your opinion on that.

• HardHabits says:

I’ve decided to expand my horizons and am now into changing facts. Changing opinions is for amateurs. I mean since opinions have to be set in stone and all and god forbid lest anybody opine a varying view.

I think it’s time to really get out the heavy artillery and start smashing reality. Bend it to my will so to speak.

That is good to know, it is important to know what type of artillery is coming ones way.

Cheers Dave.

• Clay says:

You have a great future in politics…

__________________________
            ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• Clay says:

I like Halak, but not at that price (double entendre intended). Seriously, Vinnie was great a LONG time ago, but his contract is just toxic now.

__________________________
          ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

9. Marc10 says:

Good effort by the guys to contain Stamkos. What a beast that guy!

And of course well done to the big line and Pleks. They delivered the win.

Props to St Denis for a great effort and to Dumont on his first game in the Show.

hehe I know where your going with that :)

11. habstrinifan says:

I guess you have never networked.