Multimedia: Canadiens cautiously joyful

Bourque1

After the 4-1 conquest of the powerhouse Rangers, the players were happy to get one for popular backup goaltender Peter Budaj.
Scott Gomez was stoked by a solid effort, and Rene Bourque enjoyed a solid debut in blue-blanc-rouge.
But the players know they’ll ned many more of these to make a run at a playoff spot.

AUDIO of Randy Cunneyworth

1. Big Bird says:

Couple of cents from the peanut gallery:

1. Great win last night. I really liked how Blunden stood up for Bourque when Rangers players went after Bourque. I remember years ago when a Sabre went after Theodore and no Habs did anything except Doug Gilmour who tried to take out the Sabres knees.

2. Nice to see Gomez get a point but he has been lousy for 2 years and it’s time to trade or send him to the minors. The Rangers did it with Redden and we can do it with Gomez. That trade has to be as bad as the Chelios, Claude Lemieux and Roy trades.

3. The Camalleri trade can’t really be assessed until after some time but on its merits so far, I think it’s what we needed. Camalleri has an ego and seems to have upset a lot of people in the locker room. Sometimes addition but subtraction is a good thing. I do like that we got some cap space because we’ll need it to resign Price and Subban.

4. I don’t think we’ll make the playoffs but I would like to see us start a youth movement where we build our team. Start trading away older veterans for picks and prospects and develop them. And please get a coach who can stick with them for a few years. Or least a solid assistant coach who serves in same capacity of training our defence like Jacques Lapperiere did for years (i.e. Larry Robinson)

• Strummer says:

You didn’t like the Chelios trade?

I thought Denis Savard looked fabulous as a healthy scratch in his civvies on the ice after the Cup- clinching game in ’93 !

______________________________________________________
      “You have to be this tall to ride on this ride”
      -as posted in amusement parks across North America

2. Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Here’s a scenario I haven’t seen mentioned: What if they sell at the deadline, but the youngsters and suitable vets that are kept keep playing well enough with talent and pride to push towards the playoffs. We sell to tank and still can’t tank.

For some reason, I can see this as being the most likely outcome for this screwy, screwy season.

____________________________________________________
    They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

3. Top Corner says:

I spit on anything TSN !

Pathetic journalism…..The HABS beat the best team in the NHL and instead of talking about that, they have an entire segment (been waiting to drop the ol Subban express for a while) on Subbans struggles on the season. I am so F. mad at this right now i better stop typing. I havnt gone on tsns website all season because of this very childish , “lets cause some drama in Montreal” type journalism. They usually wait closer , or just after the trade deadline to do cause this drama (its every year like clockwork now !!) Horsepoop ~!

GO HABS GO !!! Loved the Blunden/Bourque combo…looked tough out there last night.

• Strummer says:

Subban’s play this year is one of the reasons the season has gone so badly. For the amount of minutes he plays to be that inconsistent is a disappointment.

After stepping into the fire in the 2010 playoffs after Markov went down (again) with big minutes, and with his offensive numbers from last year they were expecting a lot more from the guy logging the most back-end minutes.

Whether the expectations were realistic is another question.

______________________________________________________
      “You have to be this tall to ride on this ride”
      -as posted in amusement parks across North America

4. G-Man says:

So, like, I come to the site to celebrate 2 great wins and get instead: ERROR 404- URL not found.

WTF is wrong with this site? 2 nights in a row and I can’t get access? It can’t be that there are so many hits the cheap ass server falls on its face, can it?

Anyways, my Giants gave the Packers Dropsy. And me Habs finally played a good game with a solid effort.
    Shout out to JB: Nyah! Nyah! Pffffffffft! ;)

_______________________________________________

Tanking- The Losers way of winning.

5. Un Canadien errant says:

Pierre Gauthier has publicly confirmed what many fans have been screaming for years: the Canadiens were too small as a team and need to get bigger. We saw that in the first and second period for long stretches when the big Rangers forwards (Brian Boyle, 6’7″, 244 lbs., Mike Rupp, 6’5″, 243 lbs.) kept the Canadiens bottled up in their zone with effective, aggressive forechecking. The smaller Montreal defencemen were a little bit skittish along the boards, their heads on a swivel, as they tried to escape with their lives and brain cells intact rather than the puck.

Getting bigger is not an unalloyed boon though, as we saw what the Rangers size meant in terms of lack of mobility. Time and again, Tomas Plekanec, David Desharnais and even Scott Gomez, buzzed around the Rangers zone, their quickness, agility and artistry with the puck too much for the lumbering behemoths in white.

It is clear that what the Canadiens have been lacking is not solely size and strength. If they had had more finish around the net, more production from the putative goal scorers on the team, and if the powerplay had not been so impotent, they would be comfortably in the playoff seeding and battling for position.

I do agree that the Canadiens need to inject some size and toughness in their lineup, given the conditions that exist with referees overlooking slashes and hooks that were automatic calls after the lockout in 2005, and the Reign of Error of Bettman, Campbell and Jacobs. I wonder how much worse than Chris Campoli or Hal Gill or Tomas Kaberle Shane O’Brien would have had to be to not improve this squad.

The Canadiens can skate and score the goon teams into submission, kind of like the Red Wings do, and like we’ve done frequently with the Bruins, but an important component of that formula is the scoring part.

Tonight the #1 line played as such, after a few games of relatively meager production. This game should serve as the final nail in the coffin of the line juggling that was rampant this season. In the Post-Cammalleri era, the David Desharnais line has established itself as the best offensive line. Any mix and matching that might occur should be limited to the other lines. The Lars Eller line might be more susceptible to being broken up with the Travis Moen injury tonight, and the benching of its other two members. This might help find a proper fit for newcomer René Bourque, who played with conviction in his first game as a Glorieux and after a five-game suspension.

Mike Blunden again proved his worth. In his last game against the Rangers in New York, he was assessed an undeserved interference penalty on top of a too-many-men penalty to the Canadiens bench, and he seemed to be punished for that by being made a healthy scratch and then sent back to Hamilton. We saw during the game that his size and enthusiasm is a complement to his smaller teammates. As long as he plays at the same pace, he should be in the lineup.

Another positive point is an easy, assured win from Peter Budaj. Apparently he’s a very hard worker during practice, and his game may be improving. Certainly his confidence will improve after defeating the top team in the Eastern Conference, and hopefully the team will also believe in him and not think that unless Carey is in net they have no hope.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• slychard says:

That first paragraph sold me. Say hy to Arpon Basu after the fact. Good luck…haha

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• Marc10 says:

You nailed it. Shane O’Brien on this team instead of our ‘soft as marshmallow D’. Oh hell yeah! How sad it is that the PG-Bobosaurus was so slow to adapt to the travesty that is Jacob’s (err I mean Gary’s) NHL…

The more I think of the Cammi deal, the more I like it. Sure Tiny Cams is a giant in the playoffs, but you had to like another big body going to the net. Now if we could only find another bone crusher on the backend while we wait for St Andrei to resume PP QB duties…

6. Marc10 says:

Hey! Is it because he’s playing the Rangers… or did I just see Scotty G look like a hockey player?

Blunden looked like he had chemistry with Money Bags…

7. montreal ace says:

I thought the Habs played a terrific game tonight, and especially our 9 point line. Bourque is a welcome addition to the team, and Blumden is showing some nice talent, and might have a very big upside to him. I am glad Gomez had a good game, as his production is really needed. He looked like a man, who wants to do more during his interview, not like someone who dose not care. I am a huge Price fan, I am glad to see the backup can give him some rest, he was solid tonight. Our slide started when we played in NY, and we had the refs working against us with their strange calls. I hope karma points us in a different direction with the win tonight.

8. JayK-47 says:

Anyone hear a loudmouth yelling “Ha-HAH!” or “Wah-wah-wahhhh!” in a taunting manner at the game (or over the tube speakers)???

That was this guy.

Edit: (proudly points thumbs at self)

9. Gotta love Patches in that interview, on Budaj: “He’s worked his bag off in practice….”

That’s gotta hurt!

10. montreal ace says:

The story by TSN, about PK and his spitting, is so wrong on so many levels, that its like they have a vendetta on him. The coverage TSN, and CBC give him is reaching the point of being hateful. I have never seen a young hockey player being picked on, as they are doing now, and turning people against him. I think the Canadiens should take TSN to task on this, and the players union should also confront TSN. They are not reporting the news now, they are making it up and ruining a young mans life in the process. I know if I was PK, i would be very upset over it, this media crap really has to stop

• Marc10 says:

I completely agree.

The upshot is that the more people hate on PK, the better he gets. He’s like the Hulk. He feeds on negative energy. The more you pick on him, the worse it’s going to get for you… and there just happens to be a lot of hate coming out of Toronto these days… What are the odds of that?!

• Lizardking89 says:

That’s why I love the kid. TSN has zero credibility zero. Let them report what ever the hell they want the only people that take that station seriously are the zombies that live in the arsehole of Canada aka Toronto.

11. Rad says:

Eller not looking too happy in that pic. Can’t blame him, I’d be pretty ticked too, if I got sat down. RC is fair, but tough. I suspect Lars was nursing a couple of bumps and bruises from the Ottawa game, which slowed him down tonight. Chris Neil clobbered him against the boards in one sequence.

Interesting too, how subdued Erik Cole is in the post-game audio. He’s a warrior, but he knows only too well that the Habs are a long way from the Playoffs.

12. habsolutely416 says:

yes site crashed according to dave stubbs via twitter.
    rumors of subban spitting AT del zotto. the video doesnt really prove that he did or didnt but you know very well that cheerleaders pj stock and mike milbury (theres a reason youre not a gm anymore) will be right there next saturday wearing their bruins cheerleader outfits with pom poms ready to condemn pk. the way that sites/stations such as cbc, tsn, etc have been ripping the habs lately has been a real eye opener. i live in toronto and the leafs in their worst moments of the last decade havent gotten this much flack..brutal.

predictably tsn was airing the alleged spitting incident just moments after the game..

ill be in the slot ;)

13. slychard says:

Did the site crash? I was unable to get on board for over an hour. Tabarnac!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

14. slapshot777 says:

Leave it to TSN to try and start a controversy over Subban apparently spitting at Del Zotto. I saw the video and yes it show Subban spitting has Del Zotto is skating by.

What it doesn’t show is how close Del Zotto was to PK when he spat and also it doesn’t appear that PK was directing any spit towards Del Zotto. I think any player would know if another player was either spitting at him or directing it towards him. Del Zotto said himself that he knew nothing of PK spitting at him. Again TSN trying to stir up sh!t. I can bet if it was a Leaf player there would be nothing bought up.

• Trisomy 21 says:

TSN is the sports network that is reporting what was observed and then asked about by reporters in the locker room. They didn’t post it on twitter and ask Del Zotto if PK spat on him.

• Da Hema says:

Sometimes Subban deserves criticism for his on-ice antics. Yet I watched that video, and you are absolutely right. There is no way to judge the distance between them from that video, and it appears to me that Subban not once either before or after even glanced at Del Zotto. Unfortunately, this is precisely the kind of attention Subban draws right now — and he himself has played a role in this.

• slychard says:

Shut up Da Hema! Observations like your’s make me wish this site would permanently crash. Shut up hippo! …wait,
        I’ve been around this site long enough to remember astute observations coming from the likes of a hippo avatar.
        Ouch.
        I feel quite badly.
        Yes! PK has drawn negative drip his way, especially this season. Jesus I’ve been Turtle’ing myself at his turtleing. (Is turtleing even a word?) I don’t know. I’m so confused hippoman help me …can a hockey player in his second season, at the tender age of 22, playing in a league made up of ,,,(let me think, wisely I hope) ok I got it, made up of neanderthals! Can this poor talented sap have a chance to develop without a Chris Nilan guardian angel type player tutoring and at the very least, protecting him from not only foe but, Jesus Christ, teaching him to stop turtleing….. PK is good but? Woaaaaaa! Back up, back up! (deleted). Or as my French Canadian (God rest his soul) dad used to say…Bay cup bay cup!
        No! Suck it up hockey player! Subban is good and has impressed me from the get go. When PK told Gainey after drafted, ” you won’t regret this” That not only freaked me out but … sold me.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• Da Hema says:

You appear to agree with me that Subban needs maturation. Subban isn’t a child. He is a young man who now has responsibilities in his chosen profession. For the record, only last week I was one of the few posters to state it would be sheer idiocy were the Canadiens to trade this young man when so many were proposing he be traded. Subban will be a fine defenceman for this team. Regrettably some of his antics are what an 18-year old would do rather than a professional hockey player.

15. SlovakHab says:

With only 1 small guy in the lineup (DD, who is a really good hockey player!), they days of “small Habs are officially over”.
    I think we will be a really good team next season, if we cut down on injuries.

16. AceMagnum says:

Keep making trades to get bigger dumb Goat.

btw, nice lobotomy scar Eller.

“Horton Hears a Boo”
    -Mike Boone April 2011

17. Al aboo says:

any word on Plekanec?

18. EricInStL says:

So I was in Antigua for 1 week and all hell brakes loose.

Denver beats the Steelers ?????????

Remember Montreal always gets rid of their problems. On and off the ice. Next to go is PK if they get their price, PK has major attitude problems, reminds me of Chelios.

So it’s up to you PK… I think the French media is going to target him. Then will come the boo birds if he plays bad.

I agree with Down goes Brown about Calgary and Cammy.

Glad to be back, but man it’s cold….

• Ian Cobb says:

You have him all wrong my friend, to much Antigua sun on your head.

• EricInStL says:

Watch closely Ian as I will throw sand in your face and make PK disappear.

The kid thinks he’s a big shot and acts like it, when he should be humble and listen to his teammates. If the team gets a top 5 #1 draft pick + solid vet, or major centerman he is gone.

Notice how no one comes to his defense in any situation (unless that changed while I was gone). No one has his back.

Gomez will be wearing the C next week.??

20. price365 says:

I’m happy for the team tonight. great effort by everyone. the best game all year by far and I can’t say enough for Budaj. he played great and deserved the win. good 1st game by Bourque also. Cammalleri may have scored a goal last night in his debut with calgary but Bourque’s debut was a win that’s what counts.

21. Le Jadester says:

I thought AK responded well after the benching with Eller in the 2nd. Eller so, so. Then I heard Randy talk about the emphasis in two way play and how Bourque had a good game tonight. Thats not bad, if he’s gonna manage ToI like that. They seemed to still be pushin’ for a goal throughout the entire third too. DD was unreal tonight and am liking more and more what Blunden is bringin’. Seems like MaxPac has gotten over the suspension and Gomer made things happen. Hope Plex and Moen are good to go against Wash. Entire D was steady even under some long pressure at times. My point, true, the team isn’t as bad as things appear right now. Perhaps only partial rebuild required ! ?

Habs, OLE !

I’ve seen enough cups, I just want peace and brotherhood for a start!

• sampson12 says:

We aren’t all as lucky as you. :(

I don’t even know how I would react to number 25. I’ve thought about it for years though.. it would be something special. I’m sure number 24 brought at least a smile to my 3 year old face.

• Ian Cobb says:

Just kidding! This team is not that far away from the cup! We are getting younger and bigger. A few moves and we will be ok next year.

• shootdapuck says:

Ian,

Unfortunately until they flush the executive suite out not much will change.

PK Subban – Million Dollar Legs, a Ten Cent Brain and a Costly Attitude!

• Ian Cobb says:

I will still watch the OHL for some real hockey until the Habs get things together.

• shootdapuck says:

I do too, got a nephew playing in the OHL now so I watch the games online.

PK Subban – Million Dollar Legs, a Ten Cent Brain and a Costly Attitude!

• habsolutely416 says:

seen 2 cups 86 and 93. i dont remember much of the 86 cup but i was 13 when they won in 93. i didnt miss a second of that run!

ill be in the slot ;)

23. doogie says:

Came in for both weekend games. Thrilled that they got 3 pts from 2 tough teams and, that’s a good start going into the next stretch of games. Good 1st and 3rd periods; yet ironically, the Habs scored 3 to take the game over in the 2nd.

Bourque looks good. Not a saviour but pretty solid and gritty. Great line- 2 1/2 men. Awesome stuff. Great to see an upbeat, supportive crowd too. Back to Toronto. Arggh!

* * * * * * *

I keep waiting for Shutt-Lafleur- Lemaire to jump over the boards!

24. habitual says:

One good game does not negate a piss pot of bad ones, but Gomez’s play really shows how lacking the Habs have been down the middle this year.

Team chemistry is such a hard thing to suss out, but I just have to wonder how things would have been this year if Halpern had been kept and we weren’t forced to use Nokelainen.

• stevieboy says:

Dont be torn, if they win a bunch of games and dont make playoffs is still good, they come in with confidence next year, PK and Carey dont hesitate about signing in off season and we start believing were winners again.

Losing, tanking whatever would yield a draft choice but take a strong psychological toll that would hurt for a while

Stevie

• Trisomy 21 says:

I don’t believe confidence transfers over the off season. The Habs should have been full of it after taking the eventual Starley Cup Chanpiars to OT in game 7.

25. habstrinifan says:

Let me be the first to comment!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As of 10:27 Sunday Jan 15th, 2012, the storied Montreal Canadiens have wakened and will make the playoffs on the last week by 1 point.

And then the the Chinese year of the Dragon shall take full hold in HABSLAND and the beast shall breathe FIRE!!!

Can I get a WHOOO AAAA!!!!!!!!!!

26. handyman69 says:

Im torn. Happy for the win but the more wins we get the more we may finish in 9th and ruin our draft chances. AHH, so confused!

Another cup before i die!!! Please

27. JayK-47 says:

You HAD RESPECT for TSN???