Multimedia: Auld starts vs. Atlanta

Missed it by that much…

AUDIO: Jacques Martin

Canadiens goaltender Alex Auld will get the start between the pipes in Atlanta tomorrow night vs. the Thrashers.

It will be just the second game this season for last summer’s free-agent signing, his only previous game a 30-save, 3-1 road victory over the New York Islanders on Oct. 29.

Post-practice audio is linked above of head coach Jacques Martin, and below is dressing-room video of Auld, captain Brian Gionta and Lars Eller, who’s beginning to feel nervous about the rookie-pays team dinner that must be on the horizon.

Eller doesn’t think his teammates will go for McDonald’s. But at least he will split the tab with P.K. Subban…

VIDEO: Captain Brian Gionta on his team’s effort against Los Angeles and their game Friday in Atlanta, and a little about the Grey Cup. When he says “Who’s playing?”, note his wink.

1. iwardhabs says:

We need the HI/O folks to blog the Annual House of Commons Charity Game.  Whatever the national political stakes are, they can’t be more volatile than the day-to-day status of our beloved Habs.  Boone?  Mio?  Stubbs? Hickey?  Any takers?

2. Habanero Gomez says:

I appreciate the comments below…

Points taken… However, consider the following;

the questions I posed were rhetorical…

The point is this…  I read on here constantly that if we could free up the cap space that Gomez is taking up, we could do this and do that (get some unnamed player for half as much and be twice as good)… Well, there are several teams with plenty of cap space and need better players too… The problem with this sort of reasoning is it assumes that there is a player available to swap with… It also assumes that said player if available to trade would fit in with this group of players… This year’s Habs for the first time in recent memory are player as a team and for each other… For anyone who has played competitive hockey or any other sport for that matter, knows that it is important a players is a good “fit” on a team… This team has good chemistry going, and I for one would not mess with it… Because you really don’t know how the alternative will pan out…

– As far as Koivu (and I was a huge fan of)… well the team’s fortunes have been getting better since his departure… And sorry, but I would take Gomez over Koivu… I just think Gomez is a better fit with this particular group of guys.. Hey, we are all allowed to have our opinions…

This was not intended to be a rant… Thanks again for your comments…

3. Hagar says:

Sweet. Thanks.

4. darcy1 says:

Yesterday according to NHL Home Ice (XM) they need to do more testing.. hosts talked about how he won’t play on a knee that needs surgery without a new contract & jerperdize the rest of his career.. so we can either expect a new deal (I’d guess 3-4 years & 6-7 mil/year) or that he’s having surgery and rehab again

5. darcy1 says:

Koivu – YES.. especially seeing as it would free up 4mil in cap space.
    AK – too much of a headache, would probably screw team chemistry up & not enough cap space gained

6. darcy1 says:

the Als won’t underestimate SK.. and weather won’t be that as big of a problem as the other poster mentioned.. the low Sunday is -12 (I’m going to be at the game, I’ve been watching the weather all week).. don’t forget, the game starts @ 4pm Alberta time, it will be warmer than you think.

7. habs365 says:

The Habs are doing good, so someone is stiring up the pot, most likely a Laffs fan

8. TOEmastro says:

you were listening to the CJAD comedy show after the game weren’t you? lol

9. Hagar says:

TSN gets a lot of flak for their Toronto bias. For the longest time I felt it was exaggerated, until I witnessed a stat they put up relating to their defence, showing that they were improving along with words to the effect of “No need to worry” headlining them. I laughed my ass off. TSN was not only acting as Maple Leaf boosters, but also acting as a form of psychological support for their sensitive fanbase by gently rubbing their backs and reassuring them that their team isn’t as terrible as some of their recent play might indicate. Props to TSN for caring about the mental state of Leaf fans. It’s a tremendous service they’re providing.

10. Castor says:

It’s okay. The game before TSN called AK Sergei Kostisyn.

“Much needed win”

They have much need to look at the freaking standings.

11. punkster says:

JS…please…there must be better prospects out there for our team than MAB. Been there, done that but refused to buy the t-shirt.

12. WindsorHab-10 says:

Great attitude indeed. Can’t go wrong with team-first attitude.

Good luck Alex.

13. punkster says:

I agree, to a degree, with the pugilist below (and this is in no way meant to argue with your point, Steve). I enjoy the silly season for what it is, a setup for the playoffs. Nobody remembers year to year who finished where in which division by how many points etc. The silly season gives us a sometimes entertaining view of the rest of the league’s high flyers and bottom dwellers and allows us to see, roughly, where our team fits in to the overall scheme of things. Of course finishing top of the division has its advantages but just making the playoffs is the main objective for now.

14. J_P says:

I dont know, why dont you tell us?

15. J_P says:

Really? an ‘important’ piece to their puzzle?

you do realize we are a defensive minded team right? and you do realize bergeron was a minus-7 last year right?

16. J_P says:

That’s typical of the Toronto Sports Network

17. WindsorHab-10 says:

As a fan, my main goal is for the team to make the playoffs. Division/conference winners means nothing in my book because regular season & playoffs are 2 different seasons. Ask Washington & Pittsburgh.

18. jimmy shaker says:

Shite move by PG and Co.  I think it’s just a cover as to not ruffle the teams feathers at the moment, and then in about 2 weeks I think MAB will be signed.  IF not, boom goes the dynamite as the habs miss an important piece to their puzzle for this season.

19. JIMVINNY says:

It doesn’t say a trade is the reason, just that he was pulled aside.  “Speculation” is the operative word in that article.

20. HabsPEI31 says:

I just listened to the TSN NHL recap of last night’s game…”Habs get a much-needed win”?!?!?! WTF?!!!!

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

21. The S1C1L1AN says:

For those who follow twitter, Renaud Lavoie just wrote “GM Pierre
    Gauthier call agent Paul Corbeil to tell him that Habs won’t make an
    offer to Marc-André Bergeron.”

22. habguy says:

Gomer hasn’t contributed offensively in 6 years for all his teams.

he won’t happen ever again!

get rid of that shmuck!

23. CharlottetownHabbies says:

Nova Scotian leftist here, but I agree, he’d make a great PM.

24. Hagar says:

what’s the word on comrade markov? anyone learned if he’ll be back in time to singlehandedly win us the cup?