Multimedia after Canadiens 5-1 win over Ottawa

Staubitz

The players were in a rush to get their equipment packed up for the trip to Philadelphia.
Let’s hope they’ve saved some truculence for the Flyers.

AUDIO: Randy Cunneyworth

1. Adidess says:

Oh and I should come clean on my own bias. I like Subban a lot.

Subban for Stall or Getzlaf is a trade I may not do today (age, health and salaries considered), but you wouldn’t know who wins such a trade until another 3 to 5 years from now. I also doubt Carolina or Anaheim would do it 1-for-1, another reason not to do it.

The merit of the trade proposal is not what I take issue with. It’s this idea that FG never actually suggested to trade PK.

2. Adidess says:

@Errant
    Have to disagree. You’re always pretty balanced in your assessment of things, except when Francois Gagnon is involved.

It must be the 15th time I have seen you offer the same passionate defense of F. Gagnon’s article titled ‘Échanger Subban, pourquoi pas’… as if he never suggested trading Subban.

French is my 1st language, so I don’t need Google translate or somebody else’s interpretation of the French article to tell me what FG was saying. I read FG’s blog SLR on Cyberpresse/La Presse, so I am very familiar with his approach, his style/schtick, and his arguments.

The point of this particular article was that Subban shouldn’t be ‘un intouchable’ bc we have depth on defense coming down the pipeline. We can’t trade Price (no goalie prospects) so the big piece the team should trade for sth of value is Subban. He added ‘even Gretsky got traded’ for good measure.

We have to remember this happened in the context of the sophomore slump hysteria and unending discussion on his blog about whether trading Subban would be a good idea. He came down plain and simple on the side of trading Subban, saying he’s no Eric Karlsson, Tyler Myers or Drew Doughty.

He did say, don’t make a mistake a la Ribeiro-Minimaa, i.e. get an Eric Stall, Getzlaf ou Kopitar, but key point is the same (trade).

Bc I follow him closely (used to like him), I also know he regularly slams PK on SLR and on RDS … asserting PK thinks he’s the second coming of Bobby Orr, has not improved since his 1st year, doesn’t listen to the veterans on the team, so shipping him out could be a good thing, especially considering what he would bring in return. When JM came to L’Antichambre after his dismissal (he and FG are close), the coach made a remark about PK not being sure whether he’s playing for himself or for the team, you could see FG eating out of JM hands at that point…

In conclusion, I am saying that yes FG has advocated trading Subban (at times, unprompted), especially in the first half of the season when he was having a tough time. Maybe he had a good basis for saying it, considering the supposed rift in the dressing room then.

I am tired of hearing that FG never suggested or proposed trading Subban and only those who can’t read French actually think so… He did. Now whether he did it to stir the pot or he no longer feels the same way is a different thing altogether.

3. Marc10 says:

Dear Mr Cole.

Thanks for coming to Montreal! As my Aussie friends like to say: “You’re a dead set legend mate! On ya!”

What a season by the big guy!

4. H.Upmann says:

Love waiver wire pickups! Metropolit…. Staubitz

5. jols101 says:

Sorry about double post. Moved my comment from old page. Cheers…

Love the added toughness White and Staubitz bring. Its nice not being the laughing stock of the league anymore.

I think when Moen is healthy, he is a full notch above those guys and should be on our 3rd line.

I like Blunden for the 4th line, he is very physical and enjoys the banging and crashing. But, he has too decide if dropping the mits once and a while is worth a $800,000 NHL contract. If not, back to the AHL and play for $80,000 a year.

We needed someone to step up and give Zach Smith a go and that should have been him. White and Staubitz can only do so much.

Just my opinion, sure all the tree huggers will dramatically disagree.

If your not skilled enough to play on the top three lines, you better be willing to make an impact other ways or back to the AHL…pretty simple really.

• FanCritic says:

If you want to win a stanley cup, you’d better be able to roll 4-lines
      it’s nice to have tough guys. I’d like to have one on each line. gotta have tough guys that can score a few goals. Lucic comes to mind. two guys like him wouldn’t hurt a team at all.

6. FanCritic says:

I said earlier in the week they could beat Ottawa if they came to play
    still can’t figure this team out. Say what you want about RC. He has a job waiting for him. with the right team he’s gonna be a good coach…

7. Mr. Biter says:

Sign Staubitz now for next year.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

8. habstrinifan says:

So where’s the armchair GM who suggested (some time in the past two weeks) Karlsson for Subban even up. Think Ottawa jumps at that deal?

• habs_54321 says:

why would ottawa even think of trading karlsson? why would montreal think of trading subban they are both terrific young dmen neither team would trade them (maybe gauthier would he’s a clown and i don’t trust him anymore but even he can’t be that stupid… can he?

• OneTimer says:

I love Karlsson, and I wouldn’t do it. Subban has offensive upside which we all knew about two years ago, but he’s blossomed into a defensive monster that eats top lines like a black hole. Check his numbers in that context… Sophomore slump? I don’t think so.

9. Montreal1993 says:

tony marinaro saying to trade cole while his value is high, what a douche, im calling the team 990 now lol

• habstrinifan says:

Yes but to be fair he is backpedalling a bit but stupid idea.

• Montreal1993 says:

regardless, how could anybody talk about trading cole, just boggles my mind

• SUMO says:

ths dumbest trade suggestion has to be from francois gagnon. Trade pk subban for getlaf or a eric staal doesn’t make sense at all. you will not get equal value in that deal. we’ve seen the best of both of those guys were pk is just scratching the surface. good thing he is just a writer.

• Un Canadien errant says:

SUMO, again, he wasn’t a proponent of these trade suggestions. He was moderating Canadiens fans who were cooking up trades to get these big centers with a package of spare parts. Mr. Gagnon was saying that we’d have to part with significant players to get significant players back, and that P.K. was more tradeable than Carey Price, because we have organizational depth at the defence position, but not in goal.

Read the column carefully. Use Google translate if you want, or you can read my summary of his work.

———————————
          How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• habstrinifan says:

No to be fair to Gagnon it WAS NOT him or Normand Flynn. All Tony Marinaro and it wasnt recently. Marinaro was saying this at the depths of one of our bad slumps when everyone was talking rebuild and some had players like Price and Subban as possible max-return trades.

You are right though.. DUMB idea.. I wouldnt trade the ‘core’ because when you think how hard it is to land/develop players who gel and grow and start to identify with the team.. then you see why whn you get one you keep him.

Which is a situation developing with Staubitz now… and Blunden.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Sometimes I just wish a man paid to analyze and comment on the Canadiens would do some frigging work and research his inanities before letting them tumble out of his mouth.

Erik Cole is signed for three more years, is happy in Montréal and has spoken about how his daughters are liking it here and adapting and love the fact that they’re learning French. Also of relevance, he has a No Trade Clause.

So if he doesn’t have anything to say, he should maybe just change the subject instead of inventing opinions.

“We should hire Mike Babcock and trade for Sidney Crosby and Stamkos, and paint the sky a different colour….”

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

10. habstrinifan says:

Wonder if Philly was watching this game and gonna put on a goon show tomorrow.