Multimedia: MRI Friday for Gomez; Markov rehabbing in Florida for another week

Hal Gill

Hal Gill after practice, talking about his 1,000th career game on Thursday and challenges that await the team Saturday.
Stubbs video capture

The Canadiens seem unlikely to have the services of centre Scott Gomez for Saturday’s game against the 4-1-1 Toronto Maple Leafs. Gomez, who left the first period of Thursday’s 3-1 loss to the Penguins in Pittsburgh, was to see team doctors this afternoon. Head coach Jacques Martin said he’d be going for an MRI to learn more about his unspecified upper-body injury.

Defenceman Andrei Markov is going to spend a third week in Florida, according to Martin, to continue his rehabilitation under the eye of knee surgeon James Andrews. Assistant athletic therapist Nick Addey-Jibb, who was with Markov, has returned from Florida to rejoin the team.

Rearguard Jaroslav Spacek practised with the team in Brossard Friday and stayed on the ice after the majority of players had left. The timeline of his return remains uncertain.

Lines that practised today, not that this means a while lot given Martin’s propensity for shuffling his deck:

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Gionta
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole
Moen-Eller-Kostitsyn
Darche-Engqvist-Palushaj

The Maple Leafs, in town after the 6-2 pasting they absorbed Thursday in Boston, chose to take the day off.

• AUDIO: Jacques Martin news briefing

1. Psycho29 says:

What’s the temperature in here tonight?

2. SmartDog says:

Not much to say that hasn’t already been said. Move this guy, fire that guy.

But the fact is that this team seems about as close to a Stanley Cup as my butt is to Hawaii (and I’m even NORTH of Montreal). The Habs struggled all last year, injuries sure, but the Pens had injuries last night and they did okay. One night it’s “we lacked compete” another night it’s “we didn’t capitalize on our chances – but they did”, another night it’s. “we made too many mistakes”.

If you can’t see that the team has problems beyond just injuries, you’re not watching the game. For all this ‘veteran presence’ crap, this doesn’t look to me like a team that REALLY cares. I can’t know if it’s Muller being gone, or frustration over injuries, a couple of less-than-happy campers or what, but this does NOT look like a team that’s going to scare anyone anytime soon. They might get a streak here and there, but the consistency hasn’t been there – and it won’t be.

All I can hope is they win a few games WHILE Gomez is out… proving once and for all this guy contributes NOTHING. And why this needs proving is beyond me. He’s a hole in the Habs bucket, even wee DD can plug it better.

One thing is for sure, it’s going to be an “interesting” season – maybe even an “interesting” November. Storm’s a comin.

SD

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• JF says:

I agree with pretty much everything you said. The Habs are not playing well as a team, they’re inconsistent, and I’ve also come to the conclusion that even if they were being consistent, they’re just not good enough. The D is inexperienced and we don’t have enough talent or depth on offence. I’ve reached the point of almost hoping they don’t turn it around so we can land a high draft-pick and maybe take some real steps forward instead of continuing to spin our wheels.

When Brian Burke took over in Toronto, I thought he’d turn the Leafs into a good team before we became one. They’re well on the way this year, a young, exciting team who will get better. Burke is determined, aggressive, and ruthless, and, despite mistakes, he gets pretty well what he wants. The guys who run the Habs, on the other hand, are cautious, conservative, and – polite. They’re content to tweak a bit here and there, plug obvious holes, and not get anyone’s back up. I don’t think those methods will build a championship team.

Let this season be a learning year for our young players, let us deal some of our veterans for picks and prospects at the trade deadline, and let’s have a proper rebuild. We have some good pieces in place and a few more in the pipeline, and a high draft-pick might land us an emerging star.

Sharks still struggling out the gate as well. Perhaps they need a dance partner in a trade.

4. maiolola@comcast.net says:

Who’s kidding who, Markov is done, probably the dumbest signing in team history aside from acquiring Gomez. $15M down the drain. No playoffs until they can get decent replacements for Markov and Gomez.

L Train

5. Sean Bonjovi says:

vvv New signature vvv

“Paul Mara is a better hockey player than Yannick Weber”
    - Sean Bonjovi

6. Sean Bonjovi says:

double

7. MasterHab says:

Stop the presses! I have found the solution to all our problems: a French-Canadian “superstar” just became available.

Come on, PG. Throw us a bone!

Meh, what can I say? Desperate times call for desperate measures. And I’m pretty sure he scored more goals than Gomez last year.

8. New says:

The beauty of all this angst is that the Molson’s ownership group has in fact achieved a success. Gillett more than doubled his investment even while generating huge revenue and great operating income. The Molson led group of owners is doing likewise. As an investment, in a small market, the team forms a broadcast cornerstone. Any other Quebec team of course would cut into that asset appreciation and annual operating income. Food for thought.

How much would a Cup Champion team be worth? More or less? Would a Cup followed by three season’s of also ran status depreciate the value of the investment? I really don’t know and can’t guess. But there is a lot more to the Montreal Canadiens than hockey on the ice.

Unfortunately I don’t think there is a lot of pressure to change the on ice product as long as you are selling out. No pun intended. I mean really…if we keep buying the hype what is the point of re-packaging it? Which is more worrisome to the owners – lose games or lose millions? If it was lose games and lose millions I could see change. This way, I would be really surprised to see the team improve. They will pay to the cap each year just to make it look like they are concerned but you’ll not see Crosby’s or other superstars. They aren’t needed to maximize revenue and just split off sources of revenue thru personal endorsements.

• HardHabits says:

Totally.

Let me paraphrase my reply to Ian below:

Gainey IMO is not the mastermind. I think the real architect was GG. He is the one who pushed Gainey’s buttons.

Gainey at the behest of GG took the team from a crap shooting back alley low rolling nothing game to a high stakes Casino grand stand event, rolled the dice with a big hand, and lost.

Then the Molson’s came in and told him to buy a few lotto 6/49 tickets and invest in higher ticket prices and Molson Classic.

9. habs-hampton says:

I’ve been away for a few hours. Has JM been fired yet? A lot of guys are saying we can’t fire him because there are no good candidates out there. Well, all we have to is eliminate the requirements to speak French and the pool increases by 1000%! Most of the guys on the team can’t speak French and with the media in this city, I’ll bet most of the time Martin wishes he didn’t speak French either.

Time’s up, JM must go!

10. solomio says:

Hey guys it hit me today coming out of the parking lot at work where someone was talking about Cole and…” remember he used to be on a line with Jordon Stahl (sp ) blah blah blah…so I started thinking what was it about Stahl that got Cole going… I thought of size, puck handling, passing… the it came to me…. Habs got to put Cole on a line with Eller at center.

“I figure PG has one or 2 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

• Stuck_in_To. says:

Cole and Eller played together, I believe vs. Buf., and were singled out by Boone in his blog for amazing puck cycling in the O zone.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Unfortunately Eller can’t be counted on yet to be that big center that will help Cole get going.
        If he does, bonus! But in all likelihood he will still have plenty of ups and downs over the next several seasons…
        We’re still in desperate need of a quality offensive center with size.

• savethepuck says:

Eller couldn’t of set Cole up any better than he did last night from behind the net to Cole 10 ft in the slot. Cole put it into Fleury’s pads. That should of been our 1-0 lead. We’ve got playmakers setting up guys who can’t seem to bury them.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

• solomio says:

Yu’re right but just the same, lets let them stick together for 10 games and see what comes of it. I haven;t thought of who to put on the wing though. Who was the winger with Stahl & Cole with the Canes?

skinner or tuomu ruutu I think

• savethepuck says:

Someone earlier said it used to be Brindamour too

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
            Carey Price

• Stuck_in_To. says:

A lot of people are saying the same thing Hobie, but I would give him that chance to have the ups and downs. I’m happy to watch a player like Eller get better with a consistent assignment. He was lights out against Boston last year and has been one of our better “performers” this young season.

Stuck between a French Coach and a Last Place

There are those who say it is too early in the season to push the panic button and that this is just a blip not unlike a mid-season losing streak. Their proposition lies in the immediate future and the outcome of the next two months. Do the Habs start winning and eventually pull back to .500 or do they continue to mount more losses than wins on a consecutive basis. Is it a blip and no need to panic or if not a blip when do we start the freak out demonstration.

I wish to put forth the proposition that this is neither a blip nor is it a time to panic.

The Habs have not looked very good in any of their games except maybe the last pre-season game against the Bolts, and the regular season games against Colorado and Buffalo. But even in the game against the Sabres they couldn’t score and for all their looks at Miller they never really got in his kitchen. Fleury made better saves last night.

So far the only game they came back after trailing is the Colorado game but they lost in OT. The only game they led in they won, against the Jets, and IMO the refs were so awful that night that the score was skewered by the reffing.

If you check last seasons LEADING/TRAILING stats you see that they excelled when exiting periods with leads and were awful when closing up a period or two trailing. The disparity is alarming.

I remember one streak last season where they started to come back in games they trailed but guess what happened. Any guesses? I’ll give you a hint. Ouch! Yep. INJURIES!!! So much for comebacks.

Rather than panic and fire Martin if this is not in fact a blip but a pattern we will be witnessing for a few years maybe lets sit back and not freak out. Take a deep breath. Forget HH’s Tanking 101 Course and think out of the box. The Habs, IMO, are being slapped back to reality. The team is young. And the youngsters are none of them of high prospect category except Eller, Pacioretty, Price and Subban. There is no doubt that any one of those players would attract interest if on the block. I am not suggesting trading any of them I am just saying the Habs have some decent young assets. Sadly nowhere near enough. Add Gorges, Weber, Diaz, Emelin, nix Spacek, pray for Markov, try to find a replacement for Gill, etc. etc., you’re still stuck with a major learning curve for a not too intimidating back end.

I for one do not buy the (sorry Bugs) French Press’ insinuation that Gomez is leading the room revolt. The so called veterans, as some are suggesting, are not in mutiny. IMO Gomez is facing up to the fact that he isn’t an NHLer any more and is disgusted with himself and withdrawing because of it. The game has past him buy… out.

Martin’s contract is up next season. If the Habs hit the lottery that will be time to say good bye to Count Note-u-Draw. If a change of the guard is to happen it would be better to think it out from now until then than go the fire Savard and Demers and let’s hire Houle and Tremblay route again. Please.

I just wish the fans wouldn’t boo the team and throw things on the ice, but I know they will in a few games. This whole the fans wont take it just speaks of a spoiled brat syndrome. But I understand and I sympathize because they got sold the snake-oil and they realize they got gypped.

Tough times ahead for sure. IMO the only way to build a championship team is to draft them. So as Price said. Relax. Chill Out.

HH’s recommendation. Sing and dance. Ole, Ole when they’re winning and when they’re losing. For the team. Just go out there and give it your all. SO what if you lose or get hurt. Just play the game the way you love it and if you lose, suck it up.

gracious in victory humble in defeat

• Chris Higgins says:

I am going up for the Bs game next Sat night and have no intention whatsoever of booing regardless of what transpires on the ice. I witnessed their worst home game last season against the Capitals and was just flat-out depressed. The rub my friend is that if you have bimbos trying to stoke the crowd in the cheap seats, things will get testy is the team doesn’t show up. Part of the reason why I ponied up for ridiculously priced tickets this time — one cost more than a pair for Game 5 of the Finals in ’93 — is that I don’t want to spend two hours plus having some “cheerleader” trying to arouse my hockey gene.

• habs-hampton says:

I agree about the cheerleaders. If I pay to see a hockey game, I don’t need them telling when to cheer. I can see the Bimbos up the street after the game.

Time’s up, JM must go!

• bobinsask says:

As much as I dislike Martin’s coaching, I really don’t know what the options are at this point. The season has begun for all leagues and any coach that might be considered a strong candidate is probably already employed. In addition, a proper recruiting job for a coach should be thorough and would likely take a substantial amount of time.

If the team was seriously considering making a change it would have to be considered an interim replacement and the new coach would likely have to come from within the organization. That means someone like Cunneyworth or Jodoin.

At the end of the year, they would have to re-apply for the position and be evaluated along with any other candidates that the team might be interested in.

The next few games will tell the tale. A loss against Toronto raise the level of panic another notch, then 3 of the next 4 games are against Boston and Philadelphia. It’s not an easy schedule.

I would say that the next 5 games tell the tale with the game against Boston on the 29th being the key. My guess is that a 1-4 record capped off with a loss against Boston in that game would mean big changes. A 3-2 record would keep the coach safe while a 2-3 record would leave the entire situation up in the air.

The reason that I believe this is the critical time is because the Canadiens have a 5 day break after that last Boston game. If a change was to be made, it would give the new coach time to meet with the team, introduce his philosophy and get a few practices with the team under his belt.

The first few games in November are also against teams which haven’t put up strong performances so far this season. It would be a better opportunity for a new coach to have some success than if he faced Philadelphia and Boston during his first few games.

I don’t think a coaching change will be made, but if it is, I think the scenario I just described is the most likely. And I think any coach who is hired at this time of the year would carry the interim label until the situation can be evaluated after the season.

• HardHabits says:

Nice reply.

However, I just don’t see what good an interim coaching job would do. I don’t think it would vastly improve the team as the fire JM people suggest. It could even back-fire and make the team worse.

I know I didn’t conclude well, possibly because my rant was long winded, but my point is that coaching is not the issue. I see the problem as being that this team is poorly constructed. As Hobie Hanson proposed and I agree 100%, a number 1 Centre, a crash and bang and/or defensive unit 4th line and a more physically punishing back end is needed for this team to succeed. A coaching change wont provide that.

• Stuck_in_To. says:

Booing has never been anything other than classless. Booing the opposition shows a lack of imagination. Cheer for your team. Booing your team, well, there is nothing I can say to that.

As for panic buttons … well, we are what we are and by the above logic I cannot join those who would throw everyone under the bus or the even more extreme who want to throw the baby out with the bath water. (I had to, sorry.)

However, I cannot help but dwell upon all those post season wraps that dwell upon the first ten games of the seasons which invariably are seen as the place where the team failed to gain enough points to slip into the playoffs. So maybe all the stress here is just an indication of how many of us see these Habs as, at best, a bubble team.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I never have and never will boo a Montreal Canadien.

• Ozmodiar says:

Oh, man. You’re rockin a headline now. It’s getting serious!

12. oshawahabsfan says:

I would like to see Pacioretty-Desharnais-Kostitsyn stay together longer, that was a line with promise. Pleks with the two best shooters is a good idea. The break from Gomez may benefit Gionta most. Good chance for Eller to show us what he’s got in his natural position

13. Chris Higgins says:

Watching Devs/Sharks — Vermont is over-matched against Minnesota — and the thing that is very noticable is just how low tempo Habs games are despite having such an allegedly fast squad.

14. Pucknut says:

IMHO Scott Gomez is still an elite player in this league. It pains me to see all of this bashing. If he had a cap hit of 4.25- 4.5 mil per year the Habs would be able to deal him in a heartbeat if they wished to. Again it’s not his fault that Sather F’d up bigtime.

The problem, as I see it, is the wingers are not getting themselves into good passing lanes quick enough. He can still gain a blueline in the NHL. He can also still scare defencemen with his speed.

But, after crossing the blueline, since 2005, ice QUICKLY disappears. The wingers responsability should be to get OPEN in a hurry and susequentially for every other player joining the rush.

Above all you have to want “THE PUCK” and not want to just get rid of it.

Gomez is one of the Players for the Habs who “WANTS” the puck. I don’t know how many times I’ve seen players fan on one os his passes or be looking somewhere else.

They’ve got to get open & be ready for the unexpected. Anticipation. Read and React…then EXECUTE

• stevieray says:

Drinkin’ early are you partner ?

• Chris Higgins says:

In my opinion, Scott Gomez has not been worth a damn since he left the NJ Devils. The way he skates up the rink, he is akin to the billionaire’s son who takes the family jet to Paris and has absolutely no idea what to do when he gets there. The minute he crosses the opposition’s blueline, he is lost!

• solomio says:

Scott Gomez is not an elite player in this league. Don’t know if he ever was to tell ya the truth.

• NickDags says:

“Scott Gomez is still an elite player in this league”
      Yes, I usually do hear his name mentioned with the likes of Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin. These players are elite, not Gomez.

“Gomez is one of the Players for the Habs who “WANTS” the puck”
      Then why does he turn it over to the other team every time he has it?

Btw, I am not one of those people who want to drive Gomez out of town, just some are of your statements are a bit delusional.

• Ozmodiar says:

Elite players don’t have a cap hit of 4.5 mil, generally. If he were elite, he could be dealt at his current cap hit.

15. oshawahabsfan says:

You know the situation’s ugly when TSN dedicates the first 9 minutes of That’s Hockey to talking about what’s wrong with this team. They even had Gagnon from RDS on for a minute

16. punkster says:

This place is nuts. Reminds me of a quote from one of my favourite authors:
    “If life has taught me anything at all, it’s how to keep my countenance in the presence of strong, authoritative men whose rightful place is in a padded cell.”

I’ll come back in a week when we’ve won a few and see if the blood pressure has eased back down a touch.

Fore!

***Subbang Baby!!!***

17. AK_PK_Usay says:

I duno, last season this site seemed to have a higher median when it came to common sense, at this point it feels like most suffer from PMS and rash actions with little logical thought become acceptable.

this was posted earlier and is both rational and insightful

The game is entertainment, for some it seems to be a driving force, for those, you need to sit back and take a look in the mirror.

18. Miltie01 says:

“I’m sure we’ll win and fans will be happy and they’ll stop trading half the team and firing the coach”- Pleks on TSN

Yes, even Thomas thinks everyone is nuts !!!

• Chris Higgins says:

I’m glad he’s sure they will win. The Leafs are equally sure that tomorrow night they won’t!

• oshawahabsfan says:

He’s got a point haha @ Miltie

• stevieray says:

what this tells me is “they” do read the papers and listen to what is being said ……
      to me Pleks kinda just flicks it off…I thought he should of been a little pissed of about things to date . the boys aren’t showin’ much heart ..except for Gill.

• Danno says:

That sounds like a wisecrack Gomez would say. Whatever is going around in the room, it must be contagious because these guys are all becoming a bunch of comedians just like he is. Will they have more comedy material for us Sunday morning after they lose again to the Leafs?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

19. davecessna says:

Wait, I’ve got it. The key to having a successful pro sports team in this city in 2011:

Close Buona Notte. In fact, close all clubs/bars that “distract” our poor, fun-starved heroes.

20. Chris Higgins says:

Vermont playing Minnesota for the first time ever. This could be the game of the night!

21. Wencz says:

Lots of talk on here (as usual) about firing JM … ridiculous IMO. Many on here may not be crazy about the style of play under Martin, but its this style that has led to success.

Overall, and in comparison to the recent past, the Habs have done very well under Martin, especially in the playoffs. And these results were generated without production from their highest paid player and the absence of their most important player.

Right now there’s not much going right, but firing the coach isn’t the answer.

• Crunch04 says:

You forget one simple thing man. Kirk muller was behind the bench for the habs success. And if u like JM’s coaching style so much in this new ear of the NHL, u should stop watching Livew games, and get some older footage of the NJ Devils to watch….Cause thats the last time that this coaching strategy has worked.

22. davecessna says:

It all comes full circle with Gomez. Let’s not forget the reason he was signed was to entice other players to sign here as well.

23. Crunch04 says:

Here’s how i see it:

First off Fire Gauthier and martin for obvious reasons

Hang on to these players:
    -Price: Franchise Goalie, a guy to build a team around
    -Subban: Not much needs top be said here. Another guy to build a team around
    -Max P: Size, grit, skilled, and young only to get better
    -Weber: Young, skilled, PP specialist with a bomb from the point
    -Emelin: Young, size, takes the body well, skilled with the puck, great first past. Probably one of our best off season additions to the roster
    -Gionta: Great leader, fast, skilled, just needs someone to play with
    -Eller: young, skilled, size, and speed. great hands, just needs to be put back at Center where he belongs
    -Kostitsyn: size, lead team in hits, greta hands, sick shot, just needs a different coach and not be placed on the bottom 2 lines
    -Diaz: has shown great all around ability, just needs a little more time to get use to the NHL level of play
    -Cammy: Great goal scorer, not a penalty killer Martin.
    -Plekanec: can do everything, score, great passer, faceoffs, kill penalties. complete package
    -Gill: on the fence with this guy, b ut great leader, great 5-3 PK guy to have and has size. So i will keep him in this list for a while anyway
    -Cole: fast for his size, takes the body hard, which is what we need more of. got an awesome shot, just needs a new coach and philosphy, and not be on the 3rd line and see his PP minutes taken away from him by the likes of DD and Darche

Players to get rid of:
    -Moen: Old, slow, hands likes bricks. Wouldnt mind him if he was a 3rd or 4th liner, but martin keeps putting him out there on the top 2 lines. need more skill up there
    -Darche: JUNK, i dont even wanna begin about how terrible he is. He wasnt even good in the AHL, hence why he didnt play his first game in the NHL til 30+
    -DD: small, cant win a faceoff, has absolutely NO clue what to do in the defensive end. Out muscled to the puck where ever he is on the ice
    -Spacek: Old, WAY past his prime, to many mistakes, great career buds but time to hang em up hey
    -Gorges: Last season he would’ve been in the keeper list, i dont know if his past injury is still hurting him, but doesnt l;ook good at all this season, maybe needs a change of scenary.
    -Gomez: I would love to keep him, but to expensive. He is one of the few guys on our team that can gain the zone for use. Has great hart, but just to money. my only reason for dismissal.
    -Budaj: aka swiss cheese, cant stop a beach ball man, enough said

NOTE: i will not mention the AHL guys we have in the lineup or Ryan white just because they are young and still in developement and some of them aren’t ready for the NHL as we all know but we are injury riddled again, so we have to cut those guys some slack

More players will start showing their pride in the coaching staff soon.

We won’t hear about it, but there will be players that will want to be moved to another team. And we will start to drift into the dark ages again. Unless we can come up with a complete new coaching staff.

Bob Gainey did a fantastic job putting this franchise back on track, and I backed him from the first day here. In hind site though, he made a few rather large miscue’s. He hired Carbo, Jacques Martin, Gomez, Laracque and had a lot to do hiring his replacement in Gauthier.

Bob just might have to get back behind the bench.

• Chris Higgins says:

You’d be hard pressed to come up with a worse match between a team and a coach. You bring on board a bunch of smallish shifty forwards and expected them to play The System? I’d put Mario Tremblay behind the bench — now that he has a decade of experience working with Lemaire — in a heartbeat.

• kempie says:

I wouldn’t be too hard on Bob about Carbo, he was worth a try. I’m more critical of getting rid of Julien in the first place. I don’t think he deserved it. Gomez, for sure, was a bad idea, Larocque for sure and Martin I’ve never been a big fan of and I think he is all wrong for this team. Bob did a nice job IMO. Remember that he came in to fix the Houle/Tremblay fiasco and we’ve come a long way since that.

I think that PG has done a pretty good job as well. I just think JM is not our guy. Instead of assessing his talent’s strengths and weaknesses and developing a system that best suits them, like you’d see a guy like Boucher do, he insists that every player plays his system no matter what. He loves guys like Moen and Darch (nothing against those two, I love them both) and I bet he’d love to have 12 forwards just like them in the lineup every night. It’s got to wear down a guy like Cammalleri after a while.

I think if Bob is really going to go behind the bench again or in front of the spotlight at all. he’ll be taking one for the team. Not that the guy hasn’t already given enough to this franchise, but I don’t think he’s that interested in being that guy again.

I have a sick feeling that we may start hearing people discussing Marc Crawford soon.

• HardHabits says:

I think the real architect was GG. He pushed Gainey’s buttons.

Gainey at the behest of GG took the team froma crap shooting back alley low rolling nothing game to a high stakes Casino grand stand event, rolled the dice with a big hand, and lost.

25. Ton says:

So would replace Martin and Gauthier. I could see Gainey stepping in as GM.

• doug19 says:

Gainey is not GM material with all the cap issues you have to have strategy. Bob got nothing for alot of good players who were let go.
      Perhaps he was offered little. It seems Habs do not get much for their moves and perhaps this is the problems other teams offer dick.We tend to blame the GMs. The only other choice is drafts or mercenaries I mean free? agents.Why we never draft OHA is a big puzzle.

26. A. Berke says:

to Van Hab and others who say:
    “We now get to see if we are (as many openy crow) better without Gomez in the lineup.”

Very likely NO, we won’t be better with him out of the line-up, simply because that question misses proper logic by not taking into account that the team will be a man short in the roster.

However if PG could find one or two decent players for $7.5 mil to replace Gomez, then the team will definitely be BETTER without him.

That’s my two cents and yes I’ve never been a fan of Gomez.

Ali B.

PS: After posting this, I’ve just noticed that Clay down below posted a similar response to VH.

• JayBee says:

Just like how the team is better with Cole and Spacek? People act as if Gomez’s contract was not here that we have the coach and GM to replace him with players who will benefit this team.

Cammy was a 30+ goal scorer….he came here and hasn’t scored 50 in 2 seasons.

Not only do I think we’re incapable of making the right moves…but I think we’re incapable of playing to players strengths. gifted players come here and get turned into 3rd liners.

• A. Berke says:

with all due respect, I don’t think you understood what I was saying; I wasn’t talking as if gomer’s contract wasn’t here. Read again pls.

Ali B.

27. JayBee says:

Wonder what will happen if the Habs lose to the Leafs.

I don’t think Martin gets canned. I think he has the safest job in the league, actually. What I can see happening is them bringing in a consultant of some sort. Then you’ll see a trade or 2 or a couple demotions of some sort. Martin and Gauts will not be fired this season.

28. Danno says:

Norman Flynn on RDS suggested that Gomez has a bad attitude during practice and places himself on areas of the ice (to the side and behind Gill) where he can’t see Jacques Martin explaining plays on the white board. He says this shows he doesn’t care and has no respect.

He also said Gomez left the game last night NOT because he was seriously hurt but because he was fed up.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• VancouverHab says:

Yes, and Gomez blew up the Twin Towers. Whomever Norman Flynn is he acting like the spiteful gossiping little Gollum in every schoolyard tattle-tale toadying to the in-group.

He and anyone who believes such lickspittle inventions should be ashamed.

• Danno says:

They showed the video of Gomez kneeling down behind Hal Gill off to the side and along the boards. There’s no way he could see what Martin was trying to explain. You might not believe what Flynn said, but the tape doesn’t lie.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• VancouverHab says:

I hope if I’m ever on trial that you’re not the judge (I hope you’re still the right-hand man to Steve McGarrett ;–)

“So, the prisoner was kneeling down during practice!” (Gasps of horror from the public gallery.) “We have AN ACTUAL VIDEO!!!” (More Gasps.)

“And the 5′ 11” prisoner had his view of the coach obscured by Hal Gill–the biggest guy in the team!!” (Cries of ‘Shame!’ from the gallery, in which the barristers and court officals join.’)

“The prisoner is therefore Guilty of…Not Paying Full Attention to the 100,000th drills explanation of his lifetime.” (Court roars abuse and throws objects at the Prisoner.)

“Worm!! A thousand lashes.” (The Court, including the judge, throughly applaud., etc etc.”)

• Danno says:

He doesn’t seem to care about anything. His play is lazy and his passes to nobody are not helpful in any way. During the home opener with the spotlight was on him Gomez skated out and spit on the ice right when they called his name.
            This is the same guy who was sitting there laughing on the bench along with AK46 when his team mates were getting the crap kicked out of them last season when they had that ugly game against Boston.
            It’s not because he makes $7 million a year. I’d still want somebody else if he made half the salary.
            Everything’s a joke with Gomez and it isn’t funny anymore.
            ________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• A. Berke says:

Actually the other night (Tuesday) L’Antichambre showed a clip taken during practice where Gomer moved to a spot furthest away from the coach who was explaining some game strategy and he turned his back away as well.

I’m not privy to the knowledge that he left the game because he was fed up (funny because pretty much everyone else in the Habs World is actually fed up by his play and attitude).

Ali B.

Edit: I’m pretty sure the clip from L’Antichambre can be still accessible to anyone who likes to see it.

Edit 2: Norman Flynn was not among the L’Antichambre crowd that night but he may have seen the same video clip.

• habsolutely says:

wow. I sincerely hope that isn’t true.

• Hobie Hansen says:

really none of this is the fault of Gomez. He had one 30-goal-season and two idiot GMs decided he should be one of the highest paid players in the world. Gainey is not really an idiot but that was a huge mistake.

Bottom line is that Gomez is not and really never was a #1 center.

I actually think he could survive on this team and go uncritized if he had wingers like Cole and Pacioretty for a steady period of time.

The problem is that Plekanec isn’t a number #1 center either. He’s a damn good 2nd line center but not really a #1.

So the Canadiens have a great 2nd line center and an under achieving 2nd line center.

The reason Eric Cole put up all those 25-goal-seasons is he was playing with Eric Staal and Rod Brind’amour.

A large part of the Habs problems is that they are very weak down the middle and that is the fault of Gainey and Gauthier, not Gomez. Boo the GMs not Gomez.

But yeah, I see no other choice but to send Gomez to Hamilton and eat that salary becuase of the error bu Gainey to sign him and Gauthier’s inability to trade him.

• mike3131 says:

Plekanec can be a #1 centre. Boston won the cup with Krejci as their #1 centre. We’re just missing the big crash-bang players like Horton and Lucic that should play with him.

It’s not about the size of the dog in the fight; It’s about the size of the fight in the dog.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Agreed! But Boston has two really good 2nd line centermen. They also have Bergeron.
          At the moment Krejci-Bergeron-Seguin is a lot better than what we’ve got.
          Plus all the toughness (you mentioned) and skill surrounding them.

29. MasterHab says:

Gomez’ absence will scarcely be noticed…much like his presence, come to think of it.

Look, you can call it mindless scapegoating if you want but in my opinion it doesn’t qualify as scapegoating if it’s true. And here’s another truth for you: on any team, and especially in a salary capped system like the NHL, your highest-paid players have to be your best players or you are going nowhere. Scott Gomez is paid to be a difference-maker yet in all the time he’s been here I cannot recall a single game in which he proved to be the difference in a big win.

Now maybe you can make excuses for other, lesser-paid players for non-production by saying that they never get to play with the same linemates or that they get shunted to the fourth line or whatever, but when you get paid like Gomez you don’t get the luxury of fobbing off responsibility to the coach’s choice of linemates. YOU are supposed to be the straw that stirs the drink. YOU are the guy on the line who’s supposed to matter, not your linemates whoever they might be. And let’s face it: Gomez cannot use the excuse that the coach doesn’t like him or doesn’t put him in situations where he can succeed. He gets the most ice-time, both even strength and on the power-play. No matter how invisible he plays his ice-time never gets cut and he’s never out of the top 6 forward group. He is given more leeway than just about any other player on the roster and still he can’t string two decent shifts together in one game.

Sorry but that ain’t scapegoating. It’s just the motherf’n truth.

30. DearyLeary says:

Nail Nail, he’s our man, if he can’t do it, Gauthier gets canned!

31. VancouverHab says:

Today is the Two Minutes Hate and Scott Gomez is the H-I/O Emmanuel Goldstein.

The hate here for Gomez is disgusting. People are openly rejoicing in his injury. This is past opinion or analysis and into pure tribalism.

Scott Gomez is the Weakest of the Weak: so weak he is absolutely ineffectual and has no power to add anything to the team. AT THE SAME TIME Scott Gomez is the Strongest of the Strong: so strong that he has the power to make the entire team play badly …even when he only plays the early minutes of a game because he leaves injured.

This attitude — and it’s legion — is naked scapegoating.

We now get to see if we are (as many openy crow) better without Gomez in the lineup. Last year he was out for three games and they were the three worst games of the season. Last night he didn’t play and it was the worst game of the season. God willing, we beat the Leafs Saturday, but if you think our league opponents are looking at our top three centres, seeing Pleks, DD and Eller, and are then quaking in their skates, then, well….Does that sound like a fright-inducing NHL-calibre centres line-up to you?

Memo to Haters: Gomez does NOT make the team play badly: the team plays badly for other, non-Gomez, reasons. And if you think he does, then you are at the level of someone who believes in vudu, totems, and other animistic rubbish.

IMHO.

Good post, Gomez has under achieved from the expectations placed on him upon his arrival, but he is far from the root cause of our teams current problems.

• cuzzie says:

Enough of this God in sports crap! God, if there is one would have more important things to do then worry about overpaid losers. Sports is Sports! Win Baby Win!

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• The Dude says:

I myself don’t hate Gomez but would love it if he ended up on Bostons line-up….one can dream.

• Clay says:

Rejoicing in his injury is certainly a base instinct, and should be beneath us – agreed there…

Where I disagree is with your comment ‘We now get to see if we are (as many openly crow) better without Gomez in the lineup.’

The point is that we are better without Gomez, while at the same time using his enormous salary to pay for an effective player. When we are able to do that will be when we are better without Gomez.

__________________________
      Anyway, I’ve never been captain in 16 years in the NHL. But that didn’t stop me being a leader in my own way.
      Guy Lafleur

• JayBee says:

Hab fans love to find a whipping boy. I could understand if Gomez was the only guy underperforming…but damn near every player is playing poor hockey.

• savethepuck says:

Well said. There’s no way tyhis team is better with Palushaj in the lineup instead of Gomez.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

32. Habfan4lfe says:

That interview with Martin that someone posted here rings right on what my thinking was. He’s practically in bed with Gauthier and he knows his buddy wont outright fire him. Get rid of them both Molson boys.

33. JohnBellyful says:

JM, here are a few signs that you might be on the way out:

The security guard checks your name against a list before letting you in the Bell Centre; the trainer frisks you in the dressing room

You notice your picture that hangs with all the other Hab coaches’ portraits now reads: 2009 – 2011

Every time you look over to the two Randys, they’re staring at you and writing notes in little black books

HIO posters are calling for your firing, including a handful of Canadien executives who didn’t even bother to use aliases

Your chalk gets stolen and the lids are left off your markers

You call a press conference and the only person who shows up is a stringer for the university newspaper; he spells your name wrong

Someone steals your special bucket with all the players’ names in it and you’re forced to make up lines from memory

You hear through the grapevine Mike Keenan is learning French

– “We have not yet begun to fight.” –

34. Propwash says:

So, the Habs are in an early losing streak, as if that doesn’t happen to every other team in the NHL.
    Got beaten by an injury filled Penguins team. Have you seen their latest record? They’re on a roll. It’s not surprising they lost, especially after how they played last night.

_____________________
    Dooooooooooooooomed!™

35. The Dude says:

So the problem at hand is how to make this years Habs a contender? Normally other teams start slow and build as they go while the Habs blast off only to fade and barely make the big show.But with this slow Habs start and these huge contracts for Gomez,Cole,Cammy ,Markov,Spatch and Gointa, I don’t see any takers.And no cap room left really,quite the pickle!The team has NO BALANCE and need change “size ,grit and character ” and a Barry Trotz like coach to squeeze the unseen talent out of the team at hand.Plus we need a GM who doesn’t make the team a reflection of his beliefs but make’s the moves that greatly surpass what is needed for years to come and if not the athlete is sought after by other teams. HH is right,WE’RE SCREWED!

36. timothy13 says:

So what do the Habs do, wait, allow the L streak to continue, or do whatever it takes to score a W!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don’t know anymore , yet I agree with many here that Jacques Martin needs to be replaced since he can not find the right line combinations and know when to give Price a break. How do you build confidence when you begin the season with a L to the Leafs. How do you compare the Habs’ rebuilding to the Penguins, well somehow your 2nd, 3rd and 4th line players must step up. Other teams can do it with injuries yet this squad lacks something substantial and no one knows what that is. The players must find it within themselves to fix their game. The Habs in the last few seasons seem to lack depth, character, and a great desire to WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• savethepuck says:

In the modern NHL, every team every year goes through several slumps similar to 1-4-1 .

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

37. cuzzie says:

The results are in on Gomez’s upper body injury. They found no Heart.

“That was too easy”.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

38. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

trade in the following order..

Gomez – huge contract lack of production
    Spacek – costly mistakes in own end- overpaid
    A.K 46 – inconsitent – not a team player
    Lars Eller – not made out for CH- sold value trade
    MAX PAC – Way too vulnerable, will get hurt alot0 high trade value
    gorges – good guy and all, but habs faithful give him too much credit, dosnt do much 4 team
    PLeks – SOft , small, lazy at cruccial times – good trade value
    Diaz. Weber- same plaayer, too small too soft, solid trade value
    Gio – Old Small, cant pass, no longer scores
    Cammy- this guy is a girl but can still score 30- too much ego here-
    moen – waive
    darche- DD – keep so those french fans dont get their panties in a bunch
    trade budaj wtf

and build new team around prospects subban and price

and fire JM bring in Scotty

GM and coach

39. JayBee says:

3 scoring lines yet you play a defensive system.
    3 scoring lines when your highest point getter had 57 points.

I swear Martin’s lost it.

Thing is the big time teams have identities. The 49ers have the west coast offense…the Bears have the ground and pound and defense…the Yankees have the big hitters…

WE HAD AN IDENTITY BUT LOST IT SOME TIME AGO.

Habs are a shell of their former self. Lets get back to the old days…speed, SKILL, great defense and CHARACTER.

The league has changed and I don’t expect a cup every year or even every 5 years….but for pete’s sakes, at least put an exciting product on the ice. Let me at least enjoy what I’m watching (win or lose)

40. cuzzie says:

Not too crazy about the line combos. Why is Enqvist is still here?
    Anyways, I’d try:
    cammy, pleks,cole
    pax, dd, gio
    palu,eller,ak
    dar, enq,moe

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

41. gerrybell says:

why are so many people hating the fact we pay Eric Cole 4.5 million a year to not score. hey, we pay Gomez twice as much to do the same thing!

g
    b

42. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I have not used GRAVATAR to link my avatar since the format changes on HIO last year because the e-mail I used to register my HIO account is My prime e-mail address, and I did not want to be inundated with SPAM (which I heard I would be, as GRAVATAR is an aggregator of e-mails for that purpose)

…I would like to use My avatar, but before doing so, I would appreciate hearing from those using an avatar what Their experiences have been with spam (or lack of spam) as a result of registering with GRAVATAR

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

43. Sharks9 says:

Fun fact: Last year the Habs went 2-8-0 during a stretch in December and still made the playoffs.

We need to lose 4 more games to be as bad as we were then.

25 before 14

44. davecessna says:

To those saying the best possible scenario is to tank the season to get a high draft pick: I agree. However, in my opinion, it will not suffice to do this for less than 2 years straight. We need an “epic” (Pittsburgh style) rebuild.

• Hobie Hansen says:

This is team is far from having to rebuild.

The Habs have one of the best goaltenders in the world and a very talented young defenseman.

The Habs have plenty of talented offensive players who are not being used in the proper way or surrounded with a proper supporting cast.

And they also have some pretty darn good prospects in the works.

All this team is missing is a real number one center, a steady sizable defenseman or two and some gritty forwards.

It may sound like a lot but the only real obstacle is Gomez. Montreal could make a run at a real number one center if they we not handcuffed with Gomez.

• Stuck_in_To. says:

I agree and think H.H. is even being cautious in his assessment. The only real changes in this team from last year are in the bottom six and the subtraction of Hamrlik which, with the return of Gorges and Markov (I know, that did not happen), wasn’t supposed to matter.

Those who decried the lack of upgrades can sit back and feel justified (so far) but if you were not rebuilding this team last year then you shouldn’t be hankering to take it apart this year.

Eller and Patches are only going to get better. Pleks and Cammy haven’t hit their strides. A.K. and Gionta are less valuable and consistent (for vastly different reasons) but still not throwaways.

Gorges missed a year of hockey and Emelin probably has little on ice communication. P.K. needs to relax and not think he is filling-in for Markov. Diaz keeps getting better.

I am pretty sure Martin needs to go but I also think there is a fine line between turning this around and not.

• Bripro says:

6 games in? Really?
      Some like pushing the panic button here, don’t they?

Respect your optimism, I still think team talented, but ain’t gellin’. Also failure to get true 4th line centre and some grit dmen is hurting us. While Markov back would help we simply need more strength in the D corps.

Ryan White would help also, but we need our forwards to compete more. I do hold JM responsible for lack of consistency. Hoping for a turnaround, perhaps s Toronto will be the Elixir we need.

• Sharks9 says:

At most they would tank for one year. That would get us an elite forward to go with our elite defenseman(Subban) and our elite goalie(Price). Not to mention the young skill we have with Pacioretty, Desharnais, Eller, Gorges, Weber, Diaz, Emelin. AND prospects like Gallagher, Leblanc, Tinordi, Beaulieu and Kristo.

Even if we tank this year, I can’t see us doing that bad next year.

25 before 14

• cuzzie says:

Tanking! Never! There’s no gaurantee. Look at Ottawa they are crap and will be crap for a long time. Not every draft has a mega superstar. This team needs a couple of guys with Balls.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

45. Danno says:

On the plus side, tomorrow Timo will be able to buy his tickets from a scalper for way less than he would have had to if the Habs didn’t suck so much.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

46. The Dude says:

We lost to a team in a league which has parody ,who was without Crosby ,Letang and Malkin and some here still have the Rose coloured glasses on…eff me !

47. Danno says:

If Habs win three in a row, they’re back to playing .500 hockey

IF

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

48. Lafrich says:

I am not a Gomez-basher, but somehow the lines look better without him.

49. Chris Higgins says:

Once again, The System will answer its critics in glorious fashion tomorrow night against the Leafs. Doubters be advised that the days of two-many-men penalties and falling for a set play in the D zone with five seconds to go are nearing an end!

50. JF says:

There’s still time for the team to turn it around, but the way things have been going and the way they’ve looked, I almost don’t want them to do it. If we stay at the bottom, we’ll get a high draft pick, hopefully a can’t-miss star, and a chance to rebuild. If we scramble to catch up to the pack and are within sight of a playoff spot by the trade deadline, the chances are Gauthier will trade away more assets in an attempt to make it, just so we can do the same thing again next year. I’m tired of watching this team spin its wheels. Every year, a couple of teams improve dramatically while we remain on the bubble, apparently condemned to repeat the same cycle of mediocrity. A bad season would suck, but if we got a superstar out of it and a chance to move forward, I would take it.

And if the team is really bad, the fans might stay away and stop buying all the “CH-emblazoned plastic crap” (Mike Boone’s wonderful phrase). The Molsons would feel it where it counts and know that something has to change.

51. C_exacte says:

EXCLUSIVE video of Andrei Markov in Florida!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GexFb0JqSZo

52. New says:

Anybody miss Muller yet?
    Anyone notice the team lost 4 of their last five playoff games, all but one ex game, and now at 1 win in six games?
    Anyone notice that Ottawa never achieved their potential under a certain coach and that his record was blah elsewhere?

Suppose not.

53. Chamby-X says:

Gomez hurt? Is that a threat or a promise?

Go Habs Go!!!

54. Vladdy Mondavi says:

I have a question on the Poll question of the day: Do I have to pay to go to the game?
    If I don’t, where’s the all-of-the-above answer?
    If I do, where’s the “meh, I’ll watch the game from home buy a Beau’s Lugtread Lager keg (with the money saved) and invite friends over to get rowdy in my living room” answer?

55. joshua94k says:

Coach Jacques Martin speaks:

Canadiens’ head coach Jacques Martin says he can appreciate the passion that Habs’ fans exhibit. At the same time, Martin says this is no sense of panic on this hockey team, despite a 1-4-1 start to this season.

Martin admits there is a concern with the way his players have performed through the first six games of the season, but he says it’s a case of remaining positive and finding out what they need to do, to be better. Martin says that was the theme of a team meeting that was held prior to today’s skate at Brossard as the Canadiens look ahead to hosting the Leafs tomorrow night.

Team captain Brian Gionta says only six games in, “there’s plenty of hockey still to be played.”

Scott Gomez, who went down with an upper body injury in last night’s loss in Pittsburgh, is doubtful for tomorrow. He’s being re-examined today. Jaroslav Spacek continues to practice with the team but he’s not ready to go. And Andrei Markov remains in Florida, where he continues to rehab from off-season knee surgery that continues to keep him on the sidelines.

Carey Price gets the call in goal against Toronto.

56. Hobie Hansen says:

TRAVIS MOEN-LARS ELLER-BRIAN GIONTA-1.26%
    MAX PACIORETTY-DAVID DESHARNAIS-BRIAN GIONTA-1.26%
    MICHAEL CAMMALLERI-TOMAS PLEKANEC-BRIAN GIONTA-1.26%
    TRAVIS MOEN-DAVID DESHARNAIS-BRIAN GIONTA-1.26%
    MATHIEU DARCHE-ANDREAS ENGQVIST-TRAVIS MOEN-1.26%
    MATHIEU DARCHE-TOMAS PLEKANEC-BRIAN GIONTA-1.26%

-Martin’s even strength line combinations from last night.

At first glance I thought this was Danno’s breakdown of the System being reposted.

• Ozmodiar says:

Did you get this from JM’s notepad??

What else was in it? I’m guessing a sketch of a bunny rabbit, or similar.

[edit: meant to ask Hobie]

• Danno says:

From JM’s notepad:

- Get some milk

- Is it Emelin or Yemelin?

- Blame Subban

- Juggle juggle juggle…

- L’équipe démontrait un certain manque d’intensité.

- Définitivement!

- Must remember to bring crossword puzzles & sudoku to next game

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• Hobie Hansen says:

The Gomez injury forced him to juggle a bit more than usual but on a regular night he still juggles more than any coach in the league by quite a long shot.

• shiram says:

Heh, the way it’s posted, I can just imagine JM yelling out those combos, and the confused players stumbling unto the ice in a fog of confusion.
      Yup, that’s last game for sure.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• 123456 says:

where did this come from?

remember your stats classes folks…. permutations and combinations. . . . . AND to think. . . we hav enot yet seen a Dman move up to a forward line during a game yet so there are many more combo’s out there

I’d like to see Pleks with Subban and Cammy

• kempie says:

Needs more Moen

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Give me the stats for the buffalo game.

“Andrei Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Max Pacioretty”
      - Sean Bonjovi

• AK_PK_Usay says:

Awesome, I was actually wondering if there was a way to see just how JUGLED that game was…

even by JM standards.

57. Oh man, I just called up but I respectfully declined. I don’t want to show these guys up. haha

OK guys, lets turn those frowns upside down.

My favorite goalie all time is Ken Dryden.

I own a 2010 Red Chevy Silverado Kick Ass 4 x 4

I owe 90K on our home and with the way business is going It could be paid off in two years.

My son loves hockey. We just came from the rink.

MY little girl has dance on Wed nights and skates like LaFleur.

I was born and raised in PEI, and I am no stranger to hard work to get results.

I spent over 21 years in the Infantry.

I was involved in “Canada’s Secret Battle” (I can’t tell you)

I have a citation for courage under fire.

I would give it all up to play one shift in the NHL. OK not all of it……I wouldn’t give up my truck……I kidd I kidd.

Smile everyone, it’s Friday. :)

Shane Oliver
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

Have a good day Sholi! Everyone in Brandon pretty pumped about the Jets? I couldn’t believe it the other night when the Jets were beating the Leafs 3-1, my mom who hasn’t watched hockey in years, calls me from the Peg all excited about Jets beating Toronto. Of course that jinxed the final score in the game.

• Mattyleg says:

Wayda go Mum…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

82 Years old and she is down right giddy about the Jets back in town.

Of course I told her to call her oldest son who is still a Leaf fan, and told her to rub his nose in it. Perhaps I am to blame for that game turning around. Because as she was on the phone with him, the Leafs scored those 2 PP goals.

• It’s kind of the opposite here in Brandon. The Wheat Kings are on a two week road trip and they’re rippin up the WHL. So they’re all the talk. Nut I’m still excited. I am going to my first Jets game since they left on Monday night. I’ll be wearing my Habs Jersey lol.

Happy Friday!!!!!!

Shane Oliver
        Brandon, MB,Canada
        R7B 2R7
        hockey@sholi2000.com
        Ph- 204 724 8418

My only tweak to JM’s practise lines would be to switch Palushaj and Moen around.

Palushaj/Eller/AK ™

59. Neutral says:

To have a good hockey team there’s certain criteria it has to have beginning with players that’s not scared of hard work, they have good knowledge of the game and a good attitude. all of this will get you there but in the end you have to have good management and good coaching to get you over the top…right now we are lacking in most maybe all those areas….

60. C_exacte says:

bloody hell, keep AK46 with Patches!! One step forward, two angry scratches in JM’s notebook

61. Marcus says:

Man i miss Kirk Muller behind the bench…

62. C-Sword says:

I’d put Gio, Gomez and Cammy together. Let the three overpaid midgets play on the same line and show us if they are really the true leaders of this team

63. kerrgte says:

Monsieur Gauthier is watching to see what our boys do without Gomez. Gauthier is very smart and decisive. I’m hoping Gomer is out for at least several games

Quel dommage!

64. The Dude says:

How bout Craig MacTavish as a new Habs Coach?

65. Mattyleg says:

Hey, anyone in Montreal is welcome to come and check out a really cool way to watch Saturday’s game!!

Montreal Improv (an improv theatre on St. Laurent, just south of Pine) is doing a show where three hockey-savvy improvisers are going to do the play-by-play on the CBC live feed LIVE on stage!!

It’s their pro-Habs biased answer to the Pro-Laffs biased CBC!

I’ll be there, and it should be lots of fun, these guys are funny!!

Check out the Facebook event!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

66. HabsPEI31 says:

I have never known a coach to juggle lines so much, from shift to shift.

If JM would just set the lines for the night, try them for a three game stint, he’d allow the players to gel. Instead, it’s like he’s starting over from three years ago, when Cammy, Gio and Gomer were all new. There’s been ONE significant addition to the forwards this season, and Cole has not had the chance to gel with anyone.

We know Pleks and Cammy work together, and AK has had success with them. Plunk ‘em together. Line 1.

Gio, Gomer if not seriously injured, and MaxPac were a line on fire before the Max’s close encounter with GorillaHead™. If Gomer’s out, move Eller or DD up there.

Cole with DD/Eller and Palushaj could be interesting.

Then Moen, Engqvist and Darche.

I’m fed up with the line changes. How can JM possibly expect his players to establish a rhythm, learn each other’s attributes and such, if he doesn’t give them time to work together?!

Is he not keeping track behind the bench who he’s putting with whom? Is that the problem?

Why not start pulling a Keenan™, and switch Price for Budaj every play stoppage while he’s at it?

Edit: Okay, how are you guys doing the smaller superscript “TM”? Mine’s coming in regular size…
    Edit to edit: WEEEEE. Thank you, I learned something new today.

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

• Mattyleg says:

You’ve never known a coach to juggle so much?

You obviously have forgotten a certain Guy Carbonneau.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Maksimir says:

Tru Dat – Carbo wouldn’t keep a line together for more than 2 shifts.

• HabsPEI31 says:

I haven’t forgotten Carbo. I couldn’t. I liked Carbo. But I don’t remember as much line jugglling as JM. Which should almost get its own ™ at this point.

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

• Captain aHab says:

I honestly don’t understand practicing with some lines and then playing games with others. That’s like practicing baseball as a catcher and then playing left field, 1st base, SS and pitcher the following game.

I don’t understand why JM is hell-bent on moving AK off of lines he plays well on. He started off on fire last year and then JM changed the lines to jump start Gomez. Now DD/Tits/Pax start playing well and bam, they get split up.

• eric says:

Maybe he’s getting alzheimers and he can’t remember what his lines are.

• HabsPEI31 says:

Be nice if he could forget how to get to the Bell Centre while he’s at it… and that Gomer needs to play on the 1/2 line when he’s floating around out there. Put him on a line with guys who are begging for ice time. Maybe Gomer will get the idea. It’s a little thing called “work ethic”, followed by a mix of “desire”.

But I guess making 7 plus million to float you don’t need those two qualities.

I’m not normally this cynical. Apologies.

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

™ Press and hold Alt key, then type 0153

67. TommyB says:

I like the look of the lines, if indeed that is what JM will use tomorrow night. From the first announcement of Cole’s signing, I liked the idea of him and Pacioretty together. A couple of big power forwards crashing around the net, with a quick and nifty centre. The first line should drive the Leafs nuts…3 waterbugs scooting all over the place. The third line has scoring possibilities on it as well, and the fourth line can chew up a few minutes. Could be interesting.

The Leafs got off to a quick start but seem to be coming back down to earth the last couple of games. However, they are a much improved team, I think, from last year. They seem quicker, they have solid goaltending, and they seem to gaining some confidence. If the Habs bring their “A” game and come out to compete, we could be in for a very entertaining classic.

• Maksimir says:

Only problem is that DD isn’t too quick but I like him in between two big wingers.

Gio & Cammy on the same line scares me.. two of the smallest guys in the NHL on the ice together?

• TommyB says:

Gio and Cammy may both be small but they are rugged enough. If they move their feet they can do some damage. If they stand still, they’re dead ducks. They are both smart enough to know this. With DD, his nifty moves make up for any lack of blazing speed. He can get pucks to Pacs and Cole, or they can make some room for him. Either way, it could work well.

68. Tony McLean says:

Where are the leaders? Price Cammer Gio have to show the way.

—————————————————–
    Where is the next Beliveau? The next Ferguson, Rocket, Patrick Roy? The next Lafleur? The next Scotty Bowman and Sam Pollack?

69. HabsFansince49 says:

No one relishes another person’s injury, but since Gomez will not be playing against the Leafs, we may have a chance to win. Further, poor Martin won’t have to lose sleep trying to decide on what line to put his favorite player, Zero Gomez.

• Tony McLean says:

I think Darche is his favourite player. Gainey and Gauthier must order him to (over) play Nomez.

—————————————————–

70. danedmunds says:

way to juggle those lines in practice again. no wonder no one can mesh

go habs go

71. shiram says:

Had to hear the Martin audio, missed is post game talk, if there was one yesterday.
    His wheels are spinning. He even goes so far as to say it’s important to keep stability… ugh.

Also this, to cheer you all up

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

72. The_Franchise31 says:

First!

73. It’s sad that you’re so affected by the mere mention of the name Halak that you go into nonsensical tirades and tears.

74. stevieray says:

I had HAIR once also …..it came …it went !!

I agree jl, MaxPac/Eller/AK has lots of skill and size, stack 2 lines get some offense, hope the other 1 and a 1/2 lines can hold their own.

Eller appears to have much more confidence with the puck this year, from what little I have seen.

punkster thinks he is HIO’s politically correct nanny, when all along he is just the type of alarmist that he claims to be railing against

77. punkster says:

Which is likely why you’re not too deeply involved in it.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

While I understand your point, he also cannot yet come out and call the team crap or his coach or his GM.

Hopefully he is actually doing some thinking/reviewing/discussing about where this team is really at.

I would hope what he said that while he is frustrated with the current results, he is hopeful things turn around soon and that this team can live up to its potential.

If he comes out and says the team is shite, he puts him GM in no position of strength in dealing with other teams or even dealing with JM depending on what the mindset is.

Again, not saying I agree with him, but what can he realistically say this early in the season.

79. SmartDog says:

Yeah, I’m with Burlington on this.
    Like they say “beware the GM’s vote of confidence in October”. Nothing they say now means anything. At worst what Molson’s really saying is “it’s too early to tell, and I’m not going to throw anyone under the bus because I don’t know yet”. But the guy’s not stupid or blind – he sees what we see – there are problems that shouldn’t be there. Is it just a bit of bad luck, or a serious issue that needs a real change.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

80. The Dude says:

jlgib21,please tell me your joking! SEE HOW MOLSONS BEER HURTS YOU.

81. Duracell3 says:

Montreal…

2011-2012…

Stanley Cup….

Jokes~

82. savethepuck says:

HiB, it’s easier for people to think that we have stupid ownership that doesn’t care to justify why the Habs are losing.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

83. WindsorHab-10 says:

I think a loss tomorrow night seals the fate of PG & JM.

“Hate Bruins like a sickness”

2003-04 Tampa Bay Lightning

1998 Entry #1 Round 1 Vincent Lecavalier
    1997 Entry #7 Round 1 Paul Mara traded for Nikolai Khabibulin

Those are the significant tanks but they tanked many more seasons having a #1, #3, #8, #5, #7, #1, #8 and a #3 before they won the Cup.

=========

2005-06 Carolina Hurricanes
    2004 Entry #4 Round 1 Andrew Ladd
    2003 Entry #2 Round 1 Eric Staal

=========

2006-07 Anaheim Ducks
    2005 Entry #2 Round 1 Bobby Ryan
    2003 Entry #19 Round 1 Ryan Getzlaf
    2003 Entry #28 Round 1 Corey Perry

=========

This is just a sampling. To me there are many elements to winning a Cup. Trades. Late picks. Coaching. Development. Goaltending. Luck. But above all there is no doubt that drafting is paramount. Only the late 80′s and early 90′s Habs and the 21st Century Red Wings had success outside the high pick category and all recent teams won with either high selections, great late drafting, or both. Even the Devils had high picks in their expansion years. Detroit still drafted Yzerman 4th over-all.

85. Psycho29 says:

Just look at the Avalanche of the mid 90′s…..how many first round picks did the Nordiques have???

86. punkster says:

Poopoo head.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

And they still needed Roy to go all the way.

I agree that the Ducks got their boost (like Philly) for pilfering the 2003 draft, but still in the first round. They created those two 1st round draft picks via trades.

Habs have a hard enough time holding onto second round picks let alone have two firsts and building a Cup winner over night with them. (And yes the Ducks brutalized the Sens).

You can’t deny Vinny’s contribution in the Bolts win. I totally agree that a player like Brad Richards was a great pick for a round 3 #64 pick. However Stahl for the Canes was a top pick. Kudos to all those teams for drafting some gems later too. Chicago had Kane and Towes but that was not enough. They still needed a few excellent late picks to complete the picture. The point is they had an added edge having those plum picks.

Detroit’s plucking Datsyuk and Zetterberg in the 6th an 7th round is otherworldly. 10 of their top 15 scorers for their last Championship team were drafted by Detroit themselves, most later than the 3rd round. Unless the Habs hire a scout like Håkan Andersson don’t count on building a team with crap picks few and far between. Especially when you piss away some of your best picks in questionable trades. For every good trade the Habs made they made a bad one. They can’t afford to do that if they continue the habit of trading picks for rentals and missing out year after year on all the best young talent that comes up through the ranks. Just my opinion.

The biggest thing that kills the Habs are mistakes. Minute ones are enough. All the pieces have to fall into place. It’s like chess. Play a great game and make a bad move if the other player capitalizes, you’re done. To further use chess as an analogy, a good player (good GM) can beat a poor player (bad GM) without a Queen piece (a top pick). But that Queen is an added advantage in a game of chess. As are the Rooks and the Bishops. The Habs are playing with only Pawns and a Bishops.

I prefer the French Sheet Ed.