Mr. Hockey & Carey Price headline weekend autograph signing

gordie-jean

Detroit Red Wings legend Gordie Howe with Habs icon Jean Béliveau at the Canadiens’ Centennial Game on Dec. 4, 2009.
François Lacasse, NHLI via Getty Images

No one knows how long it’s been since hockey icon Gordie Howe, who turns 84 on March 31, has been in Montreal to casually mingle with fans.

But the Detroit Red Wings legend returns Saturday for a one-hour autograph signing at Montreal’s Centre Pierre Charbonneau, headlining the two-day 14th edition of the Sport & Toy Collectibles show.

Howe was last in Montreal for the Canadiens’ Dec. 4, 2009 Centennial Game, receiving a standing ovation from Bell Centre fans when he walked to centre ice to introduce his great friend and Canadiens rival Jean Béliveau.

The appearance Saturday of Mr. Hockey, accompanied by his son, Marty Howe, will be preceded at 10:30 am by Hall of Fame goaltender Billy Smith of the New York Islanders and followed at 1:30 p.m. by former Canadiens forward Gilles Tremblay.

On Sunday at 1 p.m., current Habs Carey Price, Josh Gorges and Travis Moen are scheduled to sign for an hour.

About 100 exhibitors and vendors from Quebec, Ontario and the Maritimes will be on hand Saturday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. to sell, buy, trade and grade collectibles.

The show will also feature a tribute to late Expos catcher Gary Carter.

Note than autograph fees apply above the cost of admission, which is $10 for adults, $8 for seniors, $6 for those age 6 to 16 and free for those under 6. A two-day passport is available for $16.

Centre Pierre Charbonneau is at 3000 rue Viau, just north of Pierre-de-Coubertin. Pay parking in front of the building, accessible from Viau métro station.

• Autograph fees:
Gordie Howe: $120, $150 and $300, based on size and nature of article
Billy Smith: $30 regular items, $60 for masks and jerseys
Gilles Tremblay: $15
Carey Price: $65 for a small article, $75 for large
Josh Gorges: $20
Travis Moen: $15.

1. alwayssunny says:

We’re still in a tight race with Toronto but I’m ready to look ahead to next season.

This season was a fluke. I hope our braintrust stay’s the course and doesn’t panic. We have some great prospects who might be here in a few years. Also last years newcomers, Leblanc, Geoffrion, Weber, Enqvist, and Palushaj, all got some good experience this year and I look forward to seeing a lot more of them until the next batch is ready. If we do go out and try to get a big name player in free-agency, I think Gainey and Gauthier should bring along a photo of Scott Gomez as bait and maybe get a great little player to skate beside him for the next two seasons.

I am excited about Kaberle and Bourque having a full season with us and hopefully their attitude will rub off on our younger players. The way they play it is very unlikely they will get injured so we should get full value for our money.

Speaking of injuries it will be such a boost to our team to have our most valuable player, Andrei Markov, healthy for a full season and I see no reason to doubt that he will be.

Hopefully Carey Price can have an above average season for us. I don’t think that is unrealistic, he has done it before.

Goodbye Randy Cunneyworth. Our triumvirate will not abide a uni-lingual coach and you should have known that when they hired you to coach in this organization. Also I took exception to you contradicting our GMs and the great writers here and implying that our team wasn’t tough enough. Au revolr to you sir. The fact that french speaking coaches are only a tiny fraction of the available talent pool will make things simpler for our GMs. I trust their judgment and think this is excellent policy for running a sports franchise. Personally I would take it one step further and only have french speaking players but I realize that would be a controversial position whereas mandating a francophone coach is perfectly logical and the best thing for a winning organization.

Goodbye Travis Moen. There has been no effort to re-sign you so there is no reason to think there will be now. I could be wrong though. At least now you can use other offers as leverage and if you do stay it will be for a fatter paycheck than it may have been.

Goodbye Chris Campoli. You did everything that was to be expected of a player who was sitting at home in September because nobody wanted you. If I was you I would keep your phone handy this fall – you never know.

Goodbye Brad Staubitz. You do not fit.

A bientot Mathieu Darche, I know you will be back. I am not sure about the status of Nokelainen and Blunden but they along with the younger players I mentioned earlier can easily round out our 3rd and 4th lines and give us a lot of options.

Have fun on the golf course and watching hockey this spring Les Glorieux. It’s clear that things are going to be a lot different next year.

2. habfan53 says:

When people talk about prospects I always remember Angelo Esposito the next CAN’T MISS from Quebec, In ’06 expected to go 1 or 2 in 07 Then he got cut from the National Juniors because of work ethic. At the 07 draft Montreal passed on him for their 1st pick (McDonnagh) and thank God Pittsburgh took him at 20 because Montreal picked MAX at 21.
    Esposito’s professional stats 125 games 7 goals 28 assist

Like the DODGERS “Wait till next year”

3. HabsFansince49 says:

May I suggest more specific fan poll questions. Some poll questions are two-sided or can have several answers. For example, today’s poll asks whether we think the Habs will “bounce back” and make the playoffs next year.
    Why not, “do you think the Habs will make the playoffs next year”?
    (1) Yes under present management
    (2) Yes but only under new management
    (3) No regardless who is managing the Canadiens.

4. Miltie01 says:

How about Roy as Head Coach with Robinson and Carbo as his assistants ? Some experience and wisdom with Larry, and Carbo and Roy are tight. Carbo wanted Patrick as an assistant before he asked Muller !!!

Question to our Florida based posters, is there any scuttle at all in the Tampa region that they may be losing their Asst. GM this offseason to the Habs?

• christophor says:

There aren’t a scuttle’s worth of people in the Tampa region who know what an assistant GM is, or even who the Lightning are.

• Habsolutely says:

they are 13th in the NHL in average attendance. 13th out of 30 teams is not too bad, must be some fans going to the games.

• superkev420 says:

They have a lot of people watching the games, because a lot of people on vacation in Florida go watch games. Wouldnt you watch a good hockey game for 20$ while in Florida? Do you really think locals in Florida care about the Lightning? Doubt it.

• secretdragonfly says:

Based on some of the games I’ve watched on TV, a good part of the home crowd appears to be snowbird fans from the opposing teams. Same deal with Panthers games.

• Habsolutely says:

yes, a big part of both Florida teams is Canadians and Americans on vacation, or who live in Florida like my wife and I. But I don’t think those numbers would be enough to put you in 13th place in league attendance. For instance, the Panthers are 21st in league attendance. I’m pretty sure the Lightning have a decent little fan base, nothing compared to a Canadian team, but good for a sunbelt team. The Panthers on the other hand have a very small fan base and have a really hard time competing against the Dolpins, the Heat, and the Marlins, not to mention the beach and gorgeous weather. There are lots of choices to spend your entertainment dollar in South Florida.

6. sampson12 says:

Hi folks,
    So I took the liberty of googling Bob Hartley because of the rumors that Roy will be our next GM and Hartley our next coach. I just wanted to see if there was something interesting about him that I didn’t already know. I stumbled upon this gem, which I’m sure many of you have already seen and I don’t know how I haven’t yet seen it:
    I think I get the gist of the argument, but could someone please translate it for me? I’ve never lived in Quebec so a lot of the slang and whatnot goes over my head. Thanks.

• HardHabits says:

Hahahaha. I saw that before but forgot about that.

Hartley told Brisebois to STFU

and Brisebois asked Hartley “WTF have you done in life”

• AndyF says:

Roughly translated…

Carb: (after watching Blue Player fight a smaller guy, to Breezer) I’ll stand here and look him in the eyes when he passes.

Blue Player: What do you have to say about it (Breezer)?

Hartley: Hey, who are you to talk to my player?

Breezer: I didn’t say anything to him.

Hartley: Your ring doesn’t intimidate me.

Breezer: What have you ever done in life…?

Fail to Fail for Nail

• Un Canadien errant says:

A more central question is: who the what the heck is when was what was that all about? What year, what league? Is this a ‘made for TV’ occasion, a reality series?

I’ve been gone from Quebec too long…..

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

7. Habsolutely says:

Gordie’s sig is awesome. One of my favorites. I love how he switches it up and sometimes puts “Mr Elbows” or “Mr. Hockey”. One of my favorite pieces in my collection is my auto’d Gordie Howe 8×10.

8. third generation haber says:

I know this won’t be popular, but I’m in favor of not improving this team in the short-run. Move the vets (except for Cole) go with the kids, play Budaj for 30 games next year, and potentially draft the next Crosby in Nathan McKinnon.

We could go hard after free agents and make it back to the playoffs, but no free agent help is going to help us win the cup.

We may join the ranks of Washington, N.J., Ottawa, Florida, but Pittsburgh, Boston, Rangers, Philly are in a different galaxy from us.

As Burke (captain testosterone) has taught us, rushing a rebuild results in no actual rebuild.

I don’t want to swim in circles, I want us to return to glory.

I don’t want our current vets to lead us. I want Price, Emelin, Subban, Desharnais, Gorges, Paccioretty, Eller to be our vets, leading newcomers Beaulieu, Tinordi, Ellis, Bournival, Leblanc, Bournival, Holland, and Gallagher, plus 2012 1st pick, and Nathan McKinnon.

j.p. murray

• Cal says:

Yes, let’s roll the dice and have another crap year and rely on a kid. Great plan *Rolls eyes.*

• HardHabits says:

You just don’t get it. It’s like playing chess or Risk. It is called having a long term plan. Knowing how to build your armies or see many moves ahead.

Stick to checkers Cal. Although I still think that is too complex for you.

• Cal says:

Let’s suck like the Oilers. That’s 4 loooooooooooooong bleeping years with no end in sight. Great plan.

• third generation haber says:

No end is sight??? Because all of their best players are still on entry level deals and the team will again draft in the lottery, they are not building a play-off team, they’re building a cup contender. Their key players won’t have free agent or arbitration rights for many years! This is exactly the model followed by Chicago and Pittsburgh and more recently actioned by St. Louis.

Championship teams are built through the draft!!!!! If u could simply buy the cup, the leafs would have many of them in recent years.

j.p. murray

• Mr_MacDougall says:

PEN AND HAWKS, PENS AND HAWKS… broken record dude.

Price, Subban, and Markov are enough All-Star back end talent needed. Add a couple solid players to Gorges, Emelin, and Kaberle and you would see a fantastic D core.

So, adding Malkin or Crosby as a UFA would not turn this team into a contender? I guess not, MUST USE DRAFT.

• Cal says:

@third gen

Yes. How long should Edmonton fans wait for their team to reach the playoffs? You need to get there first to be a “contender”. All I’ve seen so far is an undisciplined team that cannot defend. Sure, some offensive skill, but very little else. The D is crap, and their goaltending is AHL level.
            Telling your fans “Not this year” should wear very thin after 3 years in the cellar. Why buy tickets if you know the team will suck? To watch the kids lose and lose and lose?

• third generation haber says:

CAl, when I watch the oilers all i see is potential!

it’s the same reason I like watching the young guys on the habs.
            As for losing, we haven’t won a cup since 2003.

Mr_Macdougal
            We would all like to sign Crosby and Malkin as UFA’s but that will NEVER happen! They are not available!!!!
            The problem with the UFA’s that are available is 30 teams are bargaining on them. They become overpaid guys on the downside of their career. (Gomez, Gionta, Kaberle, Markov). Draft pics are much more valuable under a cap system.

j.p. murray

Does gaining control of Kamchatka indicate a strong move long term?

• Mattyleg says:

I like how fans can have a ‘long-term plan’.
            Last time I checked, being a fan was about waiting to watch the next game.
            Some people seem to consider team support as being like investing in RRSPs.

I’ve been saaaaved!!
            —Hope Springs Eternal—

• punkster says:

Haha, so true Matty. Go through years of denying yourself a few extra pleasures so you can be too old to enjoy the benefits in the end…then watch the government tax your guilty pleasures to the max.

(I exaggerate for effect…big believer in RRSPs myself)

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Mattyleg says:

Totally!!
            Forget about now, when I can go out to bars and watch the game with a few beers!

I want the Habs to do badly now so that we can have playoff run after playoff run when I’m in my 80s and can’t sit through an entire period without having to go to the toilet three times, and the nurses won’t let me turn the volume up past 4, and I get my bedtime put earlier and earlier because I swear too much.

THAT’S what building for the future is all about!!

I’ve been saaaaved!!
            —Hope Springs Eternal—

Matty that description of yourself when age has had its number on you, was fricking hilarious. LMAO, thnks man, had a great chuckle.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

You are the most negative, pompous ass to those who disagree with you. You think you have all the answers but fail to look into the past to see how “New Age Dynasties” or “Perennial Contenders” are built. The Draft, The Draft, The Draft, Pick high pick often, blah blah blah. Do you even look at the successful franchises of the past 20 years? Do you look for commonalities among the teams that contended for multiple consecutive seasons?

If, as you say, having a long term plan is needed, how is tearing the heart out of a team, and putting the youth of the team in positions where they can not succeed a plan?

Look at the Wings, Stars, and Avalanche of the late 90′s. Did they draft all of their core? NO! You anoint yourself the “chosen one of team rebuilding strategy” but have one SIMPLE idea. There is nothing complex about what you speak, nothing “chess or risk-like.” To me, it is just bumbling foolery, “hey guys, let’s lose really, really bad and draft a good guy, then we’ll win.” Gimme a break.

• third generation haber says:

The wings, stars, and Avs did draft well, as well as trading to acquire other team’s picks and prospects (Forsberg in the Lindross trade). Yes, they were also active in the F.A. market.

But their core included a bunch of players who played the heart of their prime years with one team. They were either drafted by or acquired while they were very young.

I want to see Montreal ice a bonified super-star like McKinnon, who could be our Yzerman, Sakic, or Modanno. Where would we be without our only lottery pick of the past 30 years??? (Price 5th overall)

j.p. murray

• Mr_MacDougall says:

The Blackhawks have 2 lottery picks, after this season so will the Habs. Their best forward (Hossa) was a UFA signing.

Avs: Roy, MVP, not drafted (Sakic MVP Drafted)
            Stars: Nieuwendyk, MVP not drafted
            Wings: Vernon, MVP, Not drafted. (Lidstrom and Yzerman both MVP drafted)

I agree this team needs an elite offensive leader.. but designing a team philosophy based on losing until a superstar center can be drafted is absolutely ludicrous. There are as many “hidden gems” as their are “lottery pick stars” out there. Giroux, Datsyuk, Richards etc. Also, UFA/RFA signing is an excellent way to add TOP END TALENT. IMO this team is a True Number One center away from being on par with the Bruins (along with some tweaking to the bottom 6 and bottom D pairing)

• punkster says:

Ya ’cause pro hockey management is like a board game.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• third generation haber says:

If McKinnon were available he’d go #1 this year!

Relying on “kids” is how the Penguins and Black Hawks won the cup! It’s also how St. Louis built a contender. Our best players (Price, Subban, Paccioretty) also came through the draft!

There is no substitute for drafting in the top 3, that’s how most of the superstars in hockey joined the NHL. (Crosby, Kane, Toews, Stamkos, Malkin, Ovechkin, Doughty, Sedins, Nash, Weber, Tavares, Spezza, Ryan, Hall, Seguin, Kovalchuk, Johnson, etc.)

Rolling the dice involves throwing away draft picks for quick fixes (See the Leafs). Or adding free agents to move up from 15th to 9th (again, see the leafs). Drafting in the top 3 is not a gamble it’s the best possible way to build a championship team, especially in a cap system.

j.p. murray

Maybe instead of intentionally sucking all next year, we could hoodwink Columbus for their 1st round pick next year, Plex and Tinordi? Remember I said hoodwink.

• third generation haber says:

No chance. Columbus is trading Nash, which means they are in it for the longhaul. Plex and Tinordi combined are not worth a lottery pick. If they were, they would have been lottery picks^^

j.p. murray

I know 3rd, was just having a temporary daydream is all. It really is too bad McKinnon wasn’t available this year. I don’t know how strong we will be next year, I think with a little less injuries we will be better though. But not sure I can make it through another season like this one. Granted if we get all the drama removed, perhaps. But with the fan and media pressure in Montreal, having a 2nd horrible season (as suggested) will mean more drama.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

They could pay Nathan 15 million to attend university in the states so he becomes a UFA at 20, avoiding the entry level deal and signing with the Habs.

@MacDougall, you just jumped the queue and are now the leading candidate for the new GM post. Bravo sir, that is what we are looking for!

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I really don’t think the Habs are as bad as the standings show. This season has shown that a few things, but not that the team is horrible.

The Habs are a team that becomes crippled when injuries strike. I hate to beat the remaining 1% left of this horse, but the Gomez contract a major contributor to this. Having him is equivalent to having your best forward out for the season off the hop. Add in that Cammy had a terrible first half, their is your top two forwards gone. Gionta injury, top three. Another factor, is minimal, to no low end depth. Injuries to Moen, White, and Darche should not cripple a teams bottom 6.

As for the D, same as Gomez above, the team was missing their top dman before the season started. If anybody plays bad, or gets hurt, BAM you are down two spots.

Good side, Markov comes back healthy next year, and a UFA pickup and the D looks great. I an a huge fan of Markov and hope he can bring what has proven the ability to.

• olematelot says:

Mackinnon is playing major junior so he isn’t eligible to play NCAA hockey

• HardHabits says:

Popular with me.

9. third generation haber says:

Boys, get real!

Our new GM and our new coach should already have experience at the NHL level! Not just given the job because they were good players or managed in the CHL.

Larry Robinson and Guy Carbonneau are the most logical choices for our head coach.

j.p. murray

• PrimeTime says:

“get real”??? on this site?? Get real :)

• third generation haber says:

U’ll have to forgive me. I’m used to posting on TSN, it’s infested with Leaf fans. HIO feels like a visit to MIT in contrast^^

j.p. murray

• HabFanSince72 says:

Carbo doesn’t impress me on l’antichambre. Or to put it another way – of course he’s more knowledgeable and thoughtful than the other panelists, but he still comes across as unimaginative.

Remember how lost he was near the end?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• third generation haber says:

True, but he has the experience under his belt and we also won the conference under this guy. I exect better from him this time and honestly I don’t want another boring defensive coach.

j.p. murray

I find interesting that Carbo didn’t get another job in the NHL in the meantime, not sure if that is telling or not.

• third generation haber says:

I think the way he called out players in the media was his undoing, he’s learned since then (based on quotes I’ve read).

j.p. murray

10. JohnBellyful says:

I’ve come around to seeing Roy as the Habs’ new coach.
    Was glad to see him go … and now I wouldn’t mind welcoming him back into the fold.
    How good a coach he’ll be it’s hard to say. If he works out, it will be a brilliant move by the team. If he doesn’t, well, it should put to rest, for a few years anyways, this insistence that the ability to speak French be a key consideration when hiring a coach for the Canadiens. I would hope management would prefer to defend a winning coach who isn’t bilingual than defend a team that is terrible.
    Besides, Roy might be the very tonic the club requires, to bring back the glory days of The Flying-Off-The-Handle Frenchmen, going back to the Rocket. He could be fire to Gauthier’s ice.
    Yes, his ego could prove to be a problem. But it might be the very thing that will keep it in check, if he’s smart enough to realize it contributes to failure. Failure isn’t an option with an ego as large as his.
    And he can keep his ego in tow by thinking all the while: “When we win the Stanley Cup I’ll show the bastards who said I couldn’t do it what I really think of them!”

• kempie says:

Honestly, you kinda lost me at “Was glad to see him go”. I’m going to need clarification on that puzzling bit. But I too have started to come around to the idea. Mostly because a) Roy is going to get a HC job in the NHL. Maybe not this year but I think it’s going to happen. and b) QC is likely to get a team in the next 2-3 years. See where I’m going here. Now if we hire JM 2.0 to a 4 year deal and well you get the point. How ugly would that get?

As far as the ego/screw loose thing, I always felt that Carbo seemed to understand him really well. And I think he managed to keep Awesome Patrick on the road and Crazy Patrick in the trunk. Once Carbo left things got weird. I wouldn’t mind seeing Carbo as an assistant for the same reasons.

• JohnBellyful says:

I was referring to the infamous trade. The situation was handled badly but I believe Roy had outworn his welcome with some of his antics which had become tiresome, and his Cup-winning magic had lost its potency. He regained it when he got to Colorado, where there were some pretty good players waiting for him, but he was no doubt motivated to prove his critics wrong. I think that same motivation would go a long way to helping him develop into a good coach. Which will require the same sort of patience among fans as they would hope he demonstrates in building a good team.

• otisfxu says:

Let’s forget Carbo – he had his chance – he believed team didn’t need muscle – tell that to Bruins, Rangers, Penquins. He just wanted a bunch of guys like himself – nothing wrong with that – he was good at what he did- but don’t need a whole team of him.

Coaching is not the problem in Montreal – we need a good GM that can get out of this seemingly narrow line of vision Montreal GM’s have had for the last 15 years. Poor drafts (other than Price and Subban), poor trades, can’t seem to get overall plan in place.

11. Storm Man says:

Ok let’s get real here. Roy as Gm and Hartley as coach… That’s like manparts and HH aka happyhabit as Price’s agent mind you Hartley and Roy do know hockey the other two have no clue.

12. shiram says:

I don’t get wanting autographed stuff.

RC : “Merci beaucoup.”

• habfan53 says:

For a lot of people (like myself) it adds a connection to that person if you get it yourself . For collectors I don’t know there is no connection there.

Like the DODGERS “Wait till next year”

• JohnBellyful says:

Perhaps if I were to send you mine …

Really you can do that? From now on for every soliloquay you write, can I get an autographed copy also. Is it possible to get in the hand written original copy also, I like the authenticity of such writings. Just so you know I don’t really have a collection, but would like to start one with your written parchment as the first! ;-)

13. The_Franchise31 says:

Up front is NOT the problem, it’s the D. It all starts in your own end. If you spend the whole shift defending or stuck your zone by the time you get out the forwards need a line change or the opposition has 3, 4 or 5 players back ready to defend. When you can clear your easily and fast you creat many odd man rushes. Obviously we could use another top six forward but your offense always starts in your own zone and how fast, clean and clever you leave it

• Desi says:

Our problems are everywhere. Simplistic statements that suggest it’s all the fault of our D or our offense are not helpful. Our D is too small and too inexperienced. And our offense lacks players who can finish and put pucks in the net. In my view, the offense is the (slightly) bigger problem, because as our PP shows, we simply can’t score goals. No team without a good PP will ever win its share of games.

14. FanCritic says:

more scoring or in the bottom 7 in the eastern conference again next year – we have 5-scores that’s not gonna get you in a playoff position, we have the proof this year. the “D” is OK, up front is the problem – Bottom line not enough scoring, score more goals or more of the same 2012-2013.

15. Dave Stubbs says:

To clarify how memorabilia shows normally work:

Athletes are paid a fee by a promoter to appear, and the promoter picks up their expenses and travel (and accommodation) if the athlete is coming from out of town. The promoter then advertises the show and who’ll be signing at it to stoke interest.

Fees for autographs are not normally charged by the athlete himself, but by the promoter, who sets prices in a bid to recoup his expenses and make some money above that.

In the case of, say Gordie Howe, Gordie might have a range for certain items that he’ll sign, and the promoter will set a price above that, again to recoup his expenses and bid to make a profit.

No one puts a gun to anyone’s head for autographs at a show. Some people come and take a photo of the athlete without buying anything. A lot of what is signed is then sold by the purchaser on eBay or elsewhere, usually for more than he paid for it. Witness kids at the garage doors of the Bell Centre with dozens of the same hockey card, having them signed as often as they can. Multiple signatures are not for personal collections.

An athlete like Gordie Howe made a pittance during his playing days, compared to today’s players. I’ve got NO problem with him making as much as he can today based on the fact he is one of the greatest players to ever lace on skates and one of hockey’s finest ambassadors of all time. It was largely due to Howe, Béliveau, Bower, Lindsay and others of the day who paved the way for today’s multimillionaires.

I feel the same way about these gentlemen auctioning off their souvenirs, trophies, rings, etc. You can’t take it with you, and good for them to be able to earn something to feather their retirement bed or pay their grandchildrens’ education in a time when sports collectibles is a huge industry.

If you go to the show, enjoy it.

Dave Stubbs

Hockey Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1
    • Email: dstubbs@montrealgazette.com

• habfan53 says:

I also have no problem with the veterans like Howe, Smith and Tremblay picking up extra cash.
      I guess I was lucky growing up in the 50′s and 60′s One summer The Rocket, and several teamates came to our summer school for an hour and signed autographs . I remember going to EATON’S for Gordie howe’s signature then to Simpsons for Bobby Hull’s
      As for the card shows a couple of years ago I was at the Card expo in Toronto and ran in Lou Fontinato I was lucky a couple of booths down someone was selling old Star Weekly pictures I found one of Lou’s bought it for $10 and Lou signed it for nothing It’s now hanging on my wall .
      I also got one of Henri Richard and my son did a pencil replica that I will get the Pocket to sign.

Like the DODGERS “Wait till next year”

• 69HABS says:

Thanks for the Correct info Dave …

Just in case anybody wants to see standings that show Montreal high up in them, here you go.

• Habfan10912 says:

I move we award the “winner” The Hardhabits Trophy. :)

Does the trophy resemble a steaming bag of poop?

• Storm Man says:

That is the post of the month LMAO…..

• Habfan10912 says:

Gerald as I type this with tears in my eyes, BE NICE!! :)

That was not a shot at HH, but rather what an award would look like for finishing dead last is all ;-)

• JohnBellyful says:

Just to be clear vis-a-vis- these standings: Are you saying you don’t want the third-place Habs to tank, which means you want them to keep losing, which is what the tankers are advocating? Or you do want them to tank (which means keep winning)?
          It’s all so very confusing…

• GrimJim says:

So if we lose, we win, because losing is winning in the race to last place but if we win, we’re losing because we’re trying to win , instead of winning by losing, which is winning, except when we win, which is losing, except then we’re winning instead of losing by winning, which is losing, except when we lose, which is winning

Jim I think you have it all figured out, to make it easier, I am just going to wait for your posts each post game day and tell me if we are winning or losing.

• JohnBellyful says:

GrimJim: This all reminds me of that famous French painter: ToLose I’veLostTrec

• GrimJim says:

@John: Yes, he of the can-can do attitude

• JohnBellyful says:

That’s better than what we have now. Cuz the team currently stinks with its can-do doodoo attitude

17. habs001 says:

Third year in a row we finish in 22nd to 23rd range in goals for despite the fact we have our top scoring line with 3 players having career years..the team just has not been able to make the next jump….darche,gomez,leblanc,nokia,geoffrion,white,enqqvist,staubitz and palushay 10 players over 170 games played 17 goals…unless our scorers all have career years next year and no injuries we will not improve by much….this is why i believe we should spend our resources in getting another top end d…it seems the habs organization is full of people who have limited offensive hockey vision and prefer a low scoring team that wins 2-1 games…

• 123456 says:

i agree but have to admit going into the season i was excited about what gionta, gomez, cammy, ak46, pleks and mayber eller would be doing – all underperformed and their underperformance far negates the over performance by the 2.5 line.

• joeybarrie says:

Add in Gionta’s 25 goals, or whatever is missing from after his injury. Add in another 25-30 goals scorer to replace AK and we wouldn’t again have this same problem.
      Add in the extra offense from Markov and the likely effect it has on goals against.
      Add in a shut down D to cover for Kaberle’s defensive holes.
      And we have more goals for and less goals against.
      What we truly need is one of two things.
      More depth, as in a scoring 3rd line. Eller, Leblanc, Bourque… How great would it be to see 42-45 goals from that line?
      or a true superstar who can score like Stamkos and make up for any injury.

• habsnyc says:

Gionta, who will turn 33 next year, is not goignto score 25 more goals next season. If he plays 80 games, I doubt he scores than 20 goals. This season, he was on pace for 21 goals. However, he is older and recovering from injury. He is no longer the first line wing. He will not be on the first unit powerplay.

AK’s replacement will be on the third line. There is no NHL player who scores 25-30 goals on the third line. Maybe at best, the team will find someone who scores at the 18-20 goal pace that AK managed for this season. Trading for the top goal scorer in the NHL, is a nice thought, but hardly realistic.

Montreal will not replace the assets they lost this season on offense. Cole is going to show his age at some point. Gionta already has. There are no assets to trade for superstars. No quality free agents are coming to a team that finished out of the playoffs.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• habsnyc says:

The team got a little better in goals per game, going from 22nd to 20th. The offset was the implosion on defense, going from 8th to 17th. It is hard to be above average when both the offense and defense are below average.

PG and many of the people on this site are unable to comprehend this. The team fired its powerplay coach, added several players on offense and a new powerplay quarterback. But management failed to replace its decimated defense, further weakening it through trades.

The offense is OK. The way to win is to improve the defense. However, management and many fans on this site feel otherwise.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

18. joeybarrie says:

Re PG being so quiet and tight lipped.
    If the team is winning and the GM is making good moves, I couldn’t care less how often he speaks to the press. To me this is a problem that the press has. This is why its blown out of proportion. The press is not happy cause they can’t get any info out of the Habs organization. They can’t get good stories and sell newspapers in a world where the very newspapers are dying.
    I’m not saying I agree with it. But in the end let me ask you. If the Habs send out a detailed analysis of Gomez’ day to day treatments regarding his injury or if they published a log of the minute by minute account of the Cammalleri trade and exactly what he was told does our team make the playoffs? If PG is more likeable and jokes around with the press are we any higher in the standings?
    Now let me ask you this. If PG publishes the exact treatment and issues with Markov’s knee and the extent of Moen’s injury do you think giving away their current weakness is such accurate detail is a good thing? Do you think that maybe if Moen is working to get Kessel off his game, that Phaneuf goes out and smashes the very shoulder that caused him to be out last week…?
    In this insane city where the current RUMOR is that Patrick Roy is going to be named the coach on April 8th, no matter how RC does in his last games. Do you think stuff like this getting out is only hurtful?
    So taking stuff like this into consideration, do you think it prudent for the GM of the habs to make sure that very little inaccurate and hurtful information gets out there.
    Do you think that maybe if the Montreal Gazette, LaPress, and the Journal de Montreal didn’t publish daily articles about how truly lazy and awful AK was on our team. If maybe there wasn’t mass hysteria and 15 NHL.com articles from associated press telling of SK missing the bus and potentially never playing in Montreal again. And maybe if every hockey blog on the net didn’t read the story that some guy got paid for by telling the press that Grabovsky just checked out of his hotel early and took a taxi to the airport where he overheard Grabs saying he was going to meet his agent…..
    That maybe we could end up getting more for some of these guys?
    Ask yourself if there is some sort of correlation between what we got in return for Gill, and what we got for AK to the exact same team around the same time. Who exactly is the player with the bigger upside there for Nashville?
    Its all about reputation and what information or mis-information is out there. That’s how deals are affected.
    Think about this: I just saw people placing post it notes on gas station pumps saying “the nation average for a gallon of gas the day Obama took office (Jan 20th, 2009) was $1.78. How’s that ‘Hope and Change’ working out for you? THANKS OBAMA”
    What the note didn’t say was that a few weeks before the national average was $4.25. Higher than it currently is. How many people are gonna run out and vote for the other guy based on this misleading info, and how is that going to affect everyone else.

Keeping a tight lip on this team in a media crazy market is a good idea. I would rather that then hear the blowhard idiot Burke say a bunch of stupidity and make huge moves, yet still end up in the same position they have for 8 years.
    In the end what is the difference that the way either one approaches the media affects our standings… In my opinion the more info out there the more harm it can do. And if you really think guys like Jack Todd are not going to endlessly bash slumping players at any chance they get, then you haven’t been paying attention for the last 20 years.
    I wonder what kind of articles and info was out there to help Dallas make a decision about what to risk with Ribeiro….

19. Cal says:

$300 for an autograph? Seriously?
    If anyone pays that they simply have too much money or they are insane.
    Same with all those other prices. Paying for the privelege of a signed piece of paper? Stunningly stupid.

• PrimeTime says:

I think it would be fair to say that Autograph Enthusiasts and Collectors, not that I am either, will pay for their own desire or as an asset for trade. I also would think that charging for an autograph at these events deters fans from asking for multiple autographs.

• RGM says:

We’ll file you under the “if you need an explanation you probably don’t get it” department when it comes to sports memorabilia.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• Cal says:

I don’t need an explanation. Sports “memorabilia” is just over-priced junk.
        Hi! I have a stinky old jersey. I’ll sign it and sell it for $1K. There’ll be some jackass willing to pay for it.

• RGM says:

Like I said, you don’t get it. That’s fine. It’s not everybody’s bag. But don’t be rude and insulting towards those of us who are collectors and do partake.

———————–
          GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
          “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• cha-cho says:

I would hope that this money is going to a charity….I wouldn’t have a problem paying for an autograph if I knew the money was going to a good cause!

Was Markov Made In China??

So CBS has an episode upcoming of the The Good Wife in which a former hockey player has head trauma and a legal lawsuit with it.

Anybody who pay for an autograph is a serious sucker IMO.

22. HabFanSince72 says:

The article from the Toronto Sun on Roy as GM ends with the following line:

“…Pierre Gauthier, who fired Jacques Martin as coach in December and ignited a firestorm when he replaced him with the unilingual anglo Randy Cunneyworth.”

Is that really how it looks to people in the rest of Canada?

There was no firestorm. Not even close.

There were a couple of editorials, two politicians making half-hearted criticisms, and a “protest” that consisted of 20-30 middle-aged people handing out leaflets before a game and being politely ignored.

There were about 10 times more people at the “Sign Kovalev” rally.

No firestorm. And certainly none from Hans fans.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

I believe it is perceived exactly that way HF72, the other night was watching Sportsnet and they had Healy on their panel and was describing PG in that type of light, and how PG must go because of the melee in the front office and behind the bench in Montreal.

I am not sure in some ways this isn’t correct. The whole climate around this team has been dissarray since the DePearning of Pearn. Whether or not it is fair to call it a firestorm I am probably lean closer to your opinion, but the situation is pretty much Whacked!

• Mattyleg says:

I’m not behind this Gauthier witch-hunt.
        He’s made some good moves and some bad moves.
        Please show me a GM that makes only good moves, and I’ll show you a Montreal bridge not in serious need of repair.

Cole, Emelin, Kaberle, Eller, Staubitz… signing Gorges long-term: these are all good moves.
        Not everyone agrees, not even me (Staubitz), but they are all moves toward improving the team where it needs improvement. Bourque… well, the jury’s still out on him.

For those who think that Kaberle wasn’t a good move, have a look at his points, btw.

Gauthier, as another poster pointed out a while back (might’ve been you, actually, Burly), is not afraid to admit that things aren’t working, and strives to fix them, as opposed to certain tie-looseing blowhards who barrel forward with an outdated concept and won’t admit that he’s wrong.

Perhaps Gauthier could’ve acted sooner to toughen up the team, but that’s how it goes. He’s human, and nobody’s perfect. Plus, all the injuries we’ve had would have stretched even the shrewdest GM to the limit. Imagine what Gauthier could do if he isn’t hog-tied by players on the IR.

I say we hang on to Gauthier for a few years and see where he steers us. With a healthy team, we are serious contenders.

I’ve been saaaaved!!
        —Hope Springs Eternal—

• Cal says:

The only bridge I know of, Mattly, is the icebreaker bridge beside the Champlain. Of course, vehicles can’t use it…

Matty for me it has less to do with the specific trades he has made but rather the complete confusion which our team is now in. This is a direct result of how PG has handled or conducted himself over the past couple years.

If indeed he was correct in firing JM (which I think the decision to get of JM is fine in principle) his timing was pathetic. He should have recognized in the past off season that philosophically he was not seeing eye to eye with JM on player personal and the teams style of play. The fact that PG half way through the season announces this team needs to get bigger, was an admission that the team was changing its makeup. I actually think he wanted to start this sooner but JM wanted no part of such a transformation. JM liked his small fast defensively responsible players.

To put RC in a completely unwinnable position was also ridiculous and lacked any forthought on PG’s part. This move provided the complete apprearance of zero planning with no plan moving forward.

I don’t have issues with the actual trades signings etc… by PG, I have an issue with how he has acted as a caretaker of my favourite pro sports team.

You are correct, all GM’s make mistakes, no matter who we hire, that GM will also make mistakes. I just hope they make more good than bad decisions and that striving to make this franchise to be the best in the NHL is numero uno!

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah, I can see where you’re coming from.
            It’s about timing and clear vision.
            I still think that injuries played a big part in unbalancing things, but I suppose a GM with more ‘sang-froid’ could have kept things a bit more stable.

I’ve been saaaaved!!
            —Hope Springs Eternal—

• Cal says:

The Sun is Peladeau’s rag. Read that rag with a truck of salt.

• Thurston says:

Sun Media is not to be taken seriously. They strive to be “edgy” first and worry about the facts later.
      Both their print products and their websites are best left ignored.

• thorandresson says:

This article also came from the Toronto Sun, sensationalizing is their forte, not facts…

23. Mustang says:

I cannot understand people paying for an autograph from a present day player. To me it simply is greed from players already making millions of dollars. I know all about pro autograph hunters who resell etc but it just seems wrong to me. Old timers are a different story as they never made all that much money and their pension isn’t great either.

RGM mentions that the event charges to cover the cost of the building, etc but don’t forget that they charge an entrance fee as well. Anyway, I will not be paying anyone for an autograph.

• RGM says:

You and Upper Deck are in the same boat. They just got sued by the NFL players association because they haven’t paid 229 (yes you read that right) players the money they are owed for signing their autographed cards. In all, the lawsuit is over a million dollars. They owe Tim Tebow $84,000.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

24. Mattyleg says:

Speaking of signing, a buddy of mine has a Wayne Gretzky hockey stick signed by Mario Lemieux. Was at a charity golf game, Lemieux had just been drafted, and had run out of sticks. Gretzky gave him one of his to sign and give to my buddy’s dad.

Not a bad collector’s item, eh?

I’ve been saaaaved!!
    —Hope Springs Eternal—

25. LA Loyalist says:

As if we weren’t already depressed enough, The Toronto Star today speculates that if Roy does not become involved with Habs, a resurrected Nordiques franchise would be a logical move, assuming the Yotes are finally, finally, finally taken out to the barn and put out of their misery.

That said, what is going to put us poor Habber-Dashers out of our misery?

It’s going to be a long summer of baking bread, walking by the St. Lawrence (looking for those monster frogs on the south shore) and drinking Labatt’s products. So screw that.

I’m going to Paris.

• Max_a_million says:

Imagine that if we don’t hire Roy, and the he is hired IN QC. Uggghhh that would be unbearable.

• Mattyleg says:

You kidding me?
        I’d love watching the farce that would be his Head Coach tenure take place in QC.
        Not here, thanks.

I’ve been saaaaved!!
        —Hope Springs Eternal—

• Captain aHab says:

I think the fact that he would probably sign there is the very reason why the odds of the Habs signing him first are so high. Can you imagine if they didn’t sign him and he went on to be one of the greatest coaches in history in Quebec? The fans/media here would never let Molson live that one down.

—————-
          Avast, me proud beauty! Wanna know why my Roger is so Jolly?

• Mattyleg says:

Can you imagine if we didn’t sign him and he went on to be a massive flop that antagonized his players, the media, the NHL, and the team ownership with his enormous ego?

The fans/media here would erect a monument for The Deal That Was Never Made.

(but there would still be people saying that he would do better in Montreal)

I’ve been saaaaved!!
            —Hope Springs Eternal—

• LafleurGuy says:

Was swayed by this article. The ratrionale that SOMEBODY is going to offer King Patrick an NHL head coach position is powerful dint in the debate. We saw it happen with Kirk Muller, and Guy Boucher. I’ve been swayed and vote YEA. Wonder if Rosie DiManno is secretly a Habs fan. BTW, LA resident, reads Toronto Star, and didn’t you previously declare Anze Kopitar your current favourite player before amending it to Markov? Polygamy is OK, I guess, in the sports world.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• HabFanSince72 says:

I also say go for Roy.

If he doesn’t work out, we will just fire him in 2 years and try someone else.

That’s what would happen in any case.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• jmsheehy19 says:

On the topic of PHX, I’d rather we have a go at Tippet who’s contract expires this year I believe.

• boing007 says:

Good choice. Au revoir. Et bon voyage!

Richard R

26. 69HABS says:

These players should give 100% of their share to charity or Free Gomez’s contract fund … LOL …

But it should all go to the needy!

• RGM says:

It’s easy to tell other people what to do with their money isn’t it?

FWIW, Carey does a number of signings and events for various charities throughout the year. Dude’s probably raised over a million bucks for the Montreal Children’s Hospital just by showing up for a bunch of 2-hour signing sessions.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

27. Captain aHab says:

I’d get a kick out of meeting Tremblay. That guy was an integral part of my Saturday nights when growing up.

—————-
    Avast, me proud beauty! Wanna know why my Roger is so Jolly?

28. Captain aHab says:

I sort of understand why players make people pay for autographs but it still feels hellawrong.

—————-
    Avast, me proud beauty! Wanna know why my Roger is so Jolly?

• RGM says:

False. It’s not the players that “make people pay” for the signatures, it’s the event. They have to cover building rental fees, paying people, etc.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• Captain aHab says:

Really? So they don’t charge an entry fee? Never been to one of these.

—————-
        Avast, me proud beauty! Wanna know why my Roger is so Jolly?

• RGM says:

They players may have an appearance fee, but they do not dictate to the show promoters how much to charge each person for a signed item.

———————–
          GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
          “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• LA Loyalist says:

Problem is there are professional autograph hunters who lie and say it’s for their kid, or whatever. I wouldn’t do it unless it were an actual kid.

You must remember, too, that the old-timers never made the kind of money we shovel onto the players these days.

BTW, what do you think a Gomez autograph will be worth in 5 years?

• Mattyleg says:

Problem is, you get those autograph-hunters stockpiling kids and arriving at these events with vanloads of them.

It’s a vicious circle, y’see?

I’ve been saaaaved!!
        —Hope Springs Eternal—

• Captain aHab says:

Then you set up kid unions to negotiate fair compensation for these autographs. ;-D

—————-
          Avast, me proud beauty! Wanna know why my Roger is so Jolly?

• RGM says:

I picked up a couple autographed Gomez cards shortly after he joined the team. Can’t give them away.

———————–
        GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
        “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

29. Cardiac says:

Prices are a little steep for Howe, no?

- Jerry Maguire

• RGM says:

Not particularly. At just about any major event signing he commands a large premium. Same goes for Gretzky (who doesn’t do very many public signings – mostly private) and other retired legends of the game.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

30. JohnBellyful says:

Gordie Howe gets $300 for an autograph. Probably brings back memories of a signing bonus.

31. Say Ash says:

Somebody sneak in a contract for Price.

• Les Canayens says:

Sunday’s headline: Carey Price is signed to a 7 years extension for $550,000 per year. His agent is baffled but Gauthier says he has Carey’s signature on said contract. He can’t tell how he agreed to such terms and wonder how and when he signed it.

32. RGM says:

Outside of the Toronto Spring & Fall Expos, this is the largest card show in Canada. I would love to be able to attend one year, but alas I’m in the wrong province. I’m sure that more than a handful of my online trading friends will be attending!

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

33. Cal says:

Roy as GM….Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha! This would be almost as stupid as Mr. Peanut and le Bluet.