Moving right along to CP’s mask …

thumbnail

Have you filed and forgotten that crazy, ref-dominated game?
Good.
Now enjoy your Sunday and check out Carey Price’s Remembrance Day mask.

It will be auctioned off to benefit the Soldier On Program, WoundedWarriors.ca and The Montreal Canadiens Children’s Foundation.

1. twilighthours says:

Wouldn’t worry about offending Chris, habinburlington. I have a feeling has pretty high self-esteem.

Here’s what gets my goat. The league implements rule 46.2 and doesn’t enforce it.

46.2 Aggressor – The aggressor in an altercation shall be the player who continues to throw punches in an attempt to inflict punishment on his opponent who is in a defenseless position or who is an unwilling combatant.

A player must be deemed the aggressor when he has clearly won the fight but he continues throwing and landing punches in a further attempt to inflict punishment and/or injury on his opponent who is no longer in a position to defend himself.

A player who is deemed to be the aggressor of an altercation shall be assessed a major penalty for fighting and a game misconduct.

A player who is deemed to be the aggressor of an altercation will have this recorded as an aggressor of an altercation for statistical and suspension purposes.

A player who is deemed to be both the instigator and aggressor of an altercation shall be assessed an instigating minor penalty, a major penalty for fighting, a ten-minute misconduct (instigator) and a game misconduct penalty (aggressor).

——————–

If one reads these rules and looks at what happened last night and on most nights this rule is a farce as it is never implemented. Somebody should send Jessica Rusnak to go to a Gary Bettman press conference.

——————–

I think they should just take it to the logical conclusion and eject all fighters from the game. The person who starts it gets the extra 2 minutes. Accordingly Sauer, Nokia, Blunden and Callahan should have all been ejected and the two instigator penalties assessed to the Rangers players for starting the altercation which would have nullified the bench minor and the interference calls.

If fighting was dealt with this way they would be few and far between. The other thing the NHL needs to do IMO would be to continue punishing head shots and enforcing stick work calls on the ice but also to keep the referees accountable.

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree. On that play last night how the habs were down 5 on 3 was insane. There should have been an instigator penalty and a 3rd man in penalty as well

• Danno says:

The Rangers got the green light from the refs to go at it with no reprimand. From that point on everybody knew the fix was in. You can’t blame the Rangers for taking dives and hacking away knowing that Tim Peel me a Grape was on the take.

Jacques Martin’s usual comatose response wasn’t surprising but what does it take to get him to stand up for his team at times like that?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• 1010 says:

The players are long since realizing that this is a spineless man who will not support his team. I would imagine this man is thinking of a future job in the league hierarchy. How else can you explain this callous indifference to everything going on around him.
        It’s not even about his coaching with me. I’m just sick of looking at his comatose face when his team is getting crapped on.
        I have come to absolutely detesting the man without even analyzing his coaching abilities.
        This team is on a long downward spiral as long as these two lifeless robots are in charge.
        Molson, go find some life forms and hire them. Please!

GO HABS…

3. habs001 says:

The last 2 years the habs during the regular season were a mid ranked team (14-18) . they had a very good playoff run 2 years ago and played fairly well last year…it looks to me this year the team is about the same mid level regular season team…to become a top 10 team we need some of our top prospects to become high end players in the next few years…i know it is hard or impossible for many posters to admit that right now the roster talent is not of a top 10 team…our top players are just not good enough to elevate this team into a top 10 team…

4. Fabio D says:

Nice mask…can’t wait to see the Christmas…oops sorry…Holiday mask Price will be wearing in Dec. And then the St Patty’s day mask in March and oh oh the Easter mask he’ll be wearing in April, heard rumors of it being an Easter rabbit clenching a habs logo in its teeth….Full sarcasm intended I am getting a little tired of the marketing gimmicks and cause celebre the Habs are using Price for.

5. Bugs says:

Friggin Wall St. refs…

Back from the Brink’s boasts L. B. Potter, esq.

6. SeriousFan09 says:

WHL: Brendan Gallagher now at 16G, 11A in 15GP. The Vancouver Giants are 7-2-1 when he scores a goal, 6-1-0 when he has 2 points or more.

NCAA: Mac Bennett has scored goals in back to back games to tie his previous season output of 2G, but this time he’s done it in 10 games rather than 32. He’s riding a 5-game points streak of 2G, 3A. 2G, 9A on his season, 1G, 2A from breaking his previous-season marks in both categories.

Greg Pateryn has 2G, 10A over 10 games, had 3G, 14A over 40 last season.

QMJHL: Morgan Ellis has 5G in his first 17GP. He had 8G over 65GP last season. Safe to say that number is getting knocked out of the park.

Nathan Beaulieu had his first GWG of the season to ice a 2-1 win over Baie-Comeau, 5G in 17GP, 12 over 65GP last season.

AHL: Since being sent back down, Aaron Palushaj has 1G, 5A over 5 games. Had the game-winner last night in the Bulldogs 1-0 win.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

7. Bripro says:

Hey Mike, you’ve forgotten to turn the clock back on this site.

Well based on JM’s recent track record of not tinkering with a winning lineup, leads me to think he may finally tinker after this loss.

Hopefully we can see Emelin play, not 100% sure whom I would take out of lineup given we will be playing the speedy Oilers, but JM will probably pick a rookie, so I look for Emelin in Diaz out.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Gomez in the lineup Tuesday either, does everyone now blame Gomez for the reffing last night? DD’s back to back penalties may cause JM to ponder that substitution.

9. rated_R says:

Have any of you seen the tim hortons guy ranting about James Riemer dressing up as him? Check the first and second link.

I missed last night’s game so I can’t comment on it. Suffice to say, it appears the refereeing was a major factor in the outcome of the game.

Lots of posters are on Martin’s back about not taking the refs to task. Some coaches are famous for having a meltdown every time their team gets a penalty. Pat Quinn and Lindy Ruff come to mind. I’m not sure what impact that truly has over the course of a year.

Maybe Martin should take a different approach. Every once in awhile, he should verbally berate a ref over a call. It may have some impact on the game because Martin so rarely does it. In that regard, the ref might step back and think, wow, there might just be something to this. Especially if a coach with a calm demeanour is acting out of character and taking him to task.

It’s really no different than the parent who constantly yells at their kids. After awhile, it just becomes the norm as the kid realizes it has no true meaning or impact. On the other hand, the parent who only yells once in a blue moon usually gets their point across.

• Bripro says:

I didn’t watch the game either, but Boone’s comments about not getting into conspiracy theories.. it was the same last year.
      And Madison Square Gardens is never favourable for the visiting team.
      As for the coach berating the refs, remember how Pat Burns would cut this type of one-sided penalizing early?
      If it headed in the wrong direction, he’d absolutely blast the ref(s) and the momentum would almost always change.
      When all you can see from Alfred E. Newman is his lips moving, with no body language to speak of, don’t expect him to stand on the edge of the boards and attract the refs’ attention. Ain’t gonna happen!

• HardHabits says:

Why does it have to be yell? Martin can take the ref to task by using his intellect. You can’t make people do anything. Having a fit is not necessarily the answer.

Why not use this approach?

You gave us a double minor. That is unacceptable in my opinion. It was their team that instigated the fighting. Why haven’t you assessed an instigator penalty for Callahan? Not to mention you’ve ejected one of my players for defending himself. How do you expect me to feel about this? I can tell you right now I am incensed. Yes I know it doesn’t seem like it because I am speaking calmly and in a monotone voice but believe me I am not a happy camper. I need to feel like this game is going to be officiated fairly. So can you do your job the way the rule book dictates? Rule 46.2 clearly states that a player who is deemed to be the aggressor of an altercation shall be assessed a major penalty for fighting and a game misconduct.

Further it states that a player who is deemed to be both the instigator and aggressor of an altercation shall be assessed an instigating minor penalty, a major penalty for fighting, a ten-minute misconduct (instigator) and a game misconduct penalty (aggressor).

Callahan was the instigator. He should be ejected and it should be a 5 on 4 not a 5 on 3.

• 24 Cups says:

Good reply, Dave.

I think the point being made by both of us is that Martin needs to throw the refs a change-up once in awhile. Taking the high road for each and every game just doesn’t seem to be working.

• HardHabits says:

At that point too you call a time out. You calm your team down. You let them know that you have their backs. You do this so they avoid the other 7 penalties they took. I don’t lay this loss on the players. If anything the regrouped and made a game of it. But the 4 posts and the parade to the penalty box IMO were symptoms of not being 100% there. Martin could have given the team that edge by taking ownership of the situation then and there. But we all know that isn’t his style.

It’s why my patience with him is waning. Thankfully the other option, which is apparent, is in play and that is that the assistants do the communicating. On the other side of the bench it’s Torts that’s doing the back patting and laying out of the battle plans. On our side it’s the two Randy’s. Martin is but the press secretary.

• rob_c says:

GO TO OPRAH, GO TO OPRAH!!!!!!!!

These stats are posted every Sunday, Weekly Stats on where we place with the 30 teams.

Goals against-36. We are in 19th place. Last week, 21st, with 30.

Total points–12. We are in 25th place. Last week, 23rd, with 10.

Goals for—–34. We are in 17th place. Last week, 12th, with 29.

We sure have a long way to go, in playing up to our full potential. Right now in total points, we are in with the 5 bottom feeders of the league. Loads of time to get this club back up there. The season is still very young.

12. for what its worth, most of the rangers fans i ran into were verrry cool and welcoming

hell even the ones in front of me turned with embarrassed and apologetic looks on their faces when the USA chants broke out

which were commin from the nosebleeds btw

13. mrhabby says:

the idiot eklund say habs and kings have something going…looks like penner…lol.
    that being said, there will be a glut of players when they return from injury…white, markov, gomez, campoli…and emelin not playing…something has to give.

I was just reading about Andy Rooney’s passing at the age of 92. He stated that he loved his job so much that he wished he could do it forever.

That got me thinking about Mike Boone. I figure MB is around 62. I also know that he views his gig at Gazette (and HI/O) as a labour of love. The same affection he feels toward the game of hockey.

With that in mind, it would appear that the headmaster has another 30 year term ahead of him reporting on the Habs.

I trust that there will be a few Hab Cups won during that long time tenure.

15. twilighthours says:

After 11 hours’ reflection on last night’s game, here’s what I think:

the officiating was somewhere between curiously bad and truly awful.

16. Chris says:

There was a game last night?!?

Regarding the masks, I think it is pretty awesome that Price donates so many of them to charity. Good on him. One of these days, I think it would be fun to see him wear the plain white mask, the Mike Liut special, just to really throw shooters off. ;)

During the game last night, somebody mentioned Carey Price as an elite goalie. I have always had trouble with how liberally we throw around tags like “elite” or “superstar”. For me, it is hard to imagine that much more than 10% of the league’s players at a given position can truly be considered elite. After that, you’re watering down the term.

Price is firmly in the top-10 of NHL goalies, but he certainly has a ways to go before he has earned the right to sit with the likes of Tim Thomas, Henrik Lundqvist, or even Roberto Luongo, crappy as his start might be this season. Pekka Rinne, who many are comparing Price to this week given his new contract, has better career numbers and has been more consistent than Price while playing behind a much, much less talented team and was nominated for the Vezina Trophy.

Marc-Andre Fleury has put up stellar numbers to start this season and already has a Stanley Cup on his resume, something certainly due to a much better supporting cast when they are healthy. But I’d say he probably still has a bit of an edge on Price at the moment.

But here’s the one that sticks out to me…look at these two goalies drafted in 2005:

Carey Price: 218 GP, 103-81-26, 12 SO, 2.60 GAA, 0.915 SV%

Jonathan Quick: 190 GP, 102-68-14, 17 SO, 2.40 GAA, 0.913 SV%

Anybody who wants to put Carey Price up in the ranks of the elite should seriously be considering Jonathan Quick as well. I don’t think anybody can argue that Quick’s supporting cast over the past 3-4 seasons has been much stronger than that of Price, yet he’s put up numbers as good as or better than Price in every season.

The catch for Quick is that the poor guy is STILL on the hot-seat in Los Angeles, as there always seems to be people in that organization that want Jonathan Bernier to get the #1 job as he was a high-profile draft pick with impeccable junior credentials. I have a hard time thinking of a more underrated goaltender than Quick.

Quick is not a superstar, except perhaps in the Los Angeles market, and neither is Price. They are both excellent young goaltenders whose teams can comfortably build around them and who most teams in the league would be happy to have. But both guys have to show that they can get it done in the playoffs, because that is where the “superstar” or “elite” tag is earned.

• twilighthours says:

Quick’s never won a playoff series, nor has he won a World Junior Championship nor a Calder Cup. I’ll stick with Price, thanks. You can call him “Elite” or any other word – he’s one of the best in the NHL. Labels are just labels.

And Mike Gillis would trade Luongo for Price in a heartbeat, regardless of money.

• LL says:

Chris, how about the simple route; Habs fans love Carey (not all, I know). And love is deaf, dumb and blind.

Actually, after reading Boones’ article, Rinne and Price have similar stats, even the misleading L stats in playoffs, and Price is way younger in “goalie years”.

1000 eloquent words won’t convince Price fans otherwise, myself included, that he is not elite and special. But I’m not a results-oriented, stats-freak kind of person. I only know what I see.

• Propwash says:

Stats offer only part of the whole story however. Those who only follow stats can’t see the ifs ands and whys.

_____________________
        Dooooooooooooooomed!™

• LL says:

Imagine this team without Price.

Imagine the Leafs, Lightning, etc. with Price.

As they say, ’nuff said. ;)

• Chris says:

Price has won the grand total of one playoff series in his career, back in his first season when he played behind a team that finished second overall.

As good as Price has been, he doesn’t make that much of a difference. We saw that the year before, when Jaro Halak stepped in for a faltering Price and carried the team to the playoffs and to their biggest post-season success since Patrick Roy in 1993.

We saw it with Cristobal Huet, a journeyman goaltender who still managed to backstop the Habs to the playoffs and one of the best records in the league when he was traded.

This isn’t to say Price isn’t good…he is. But we have no idea whatsoever how goaltenders would do in different situations, something Roberto Luongo is showing in Vancouver. Luongo is one of the best goaltenders of the last decade, but he just seems to crumble under the pressure in the playoffs with Vancouver. He is an example of a guy who might be, as Ken Dryden puts in “The Game”, a great bad-team goaltender and a mediocre good-team goaltender.

• LL says:

@ jlgib21. Let me simplify further. A guaranteed Cup run. Is that better?

Chris, just as many Hab fans are bias in their love for Carey Price and therefore may be guilty of elevating his status, your bias towards Halak seems to show also. I don’t dispute that Price has yet to win a Vezina or a Stanley Cup. He has however, won at virtually every other level he has competed in. He currently is arguably the best player on a Habs team which has yet to show itself as anything better than a mid level team. His year last year was a “great” year, and for the duration of last season he was an “elite” goalie in the NHL.

Having said that, he needs to put up back to back seasons to show consistency in order to be a staple player in that elite level of goalies.

I just find whenever people here praise Price, you seem quite content to always damper this. If I had my choice to pick one goalie in this league whom I would like to build my team around for the next 10 years, I don’t think there is anyone other than Price.

Miller is still in my opinion the best consistent goalie in the league, Rinne has had some nice seasons but has taken until his late 20’s to do so. Martin Brodeur is clearly on the way down. Cam Ward is a very good goalie and but appears to have his consistency issues year to year, but may be the frontrunner for best Canadian goalie currently. Jonathan Quick appears to be a very good young goalie also, but I have seen nothing spectacular in his pedigree to make me think he will be better than Price, and many pundits think the Kings have a better roster.

Price may not yet be Elite or Great when analyzing his career numbers, but considering his age, the pressure cooker of where he plays, I think he is well on his way to becoming a great goalie.

• Bripro says:

You’re bang on there.
        Besides, Thomas was far from Vezina consideration two years ago, and look at how that changed last year.

• Chris says:

Good lord, I give up. My bias towards Halak?

I stopped reading after that.

Maybe I am wrong, just seems you don’t like to acknowledge Price, wondered if it was because you are a big Halak fan. Not meant as an insult, but rather there seems to be Price Fans vs. Halak fans here and I think sometimes people refuse to see the other as good because of the side they are on.

Did not mean to offend.

• Chris says:

I’m not sure why you claim I don’t like to acknowledge Price. I state all the time that he is a great young goalie that most teams in the NHL would be glad to have. I also state all the time that he plays an incredibly difficult role, goalie in the hockey-mad Montreal market, that makes it hard to compare him directly across teams. And above, like in most other posts I make about Price’s standing in the league, I have him ranked somewhere between 5-10 and climbing rapidly. I would say that that is all fairly positive.

What I don’t get in for is the staggering overhyping of our own players. Montreal has some good players, but if you listen to fans here sometimes you would think we should be a shoo-in for the Stanley Cup every year.

Plekanec is a great player, but he really is a step down from the true star centers around the league. Price is a great young goalie, but fans in Montreal continually overlook the great play of other goalies around the NHL, which is natural because we simply don’t watch the other goalies nearly as often. Subban was a sure-fire Norris Trophy winner, but is he really any better than Tyler Myers, Drew Doughty, John Carlson, Erik Karlsson (okay, he IS better defensively! :) ), Luke Schenn, etc.?

Max Paciroetty is a promising young power forward prospect, but you would think he was vying for the scoring lead sometimes. And the league is full of young guys that are doing as well or better than Pacioretty.

I like all these guys. I am VERY keen on any players that come up through the Habs system, as these are the guys that I can grow attached to. If there are players that I am not likely to acknowledge much, it would be the mercenary brigade of Cammalleri, Gionta, Gomez and Moen.

• Chris says:

Alright, I read through.

If I was picking a goalie for consistency, the list starts and ends with Henrik Lundqvist. For my money, he’s at the top of the pile in that regard, but has been held back by a consistently bad supporting cast.

In terms of veterans, Miller, Vokoun, Bryzgalov and Thomas are all excellent goalies. I don’t personally care for Luongo, but you know that his numbers will rebound and he will be in the mix for the Vezina.

Rinne doesn’t have a huge body of work yet, but he has demonstrated that he is a good goalie in the right situation. The lesson of Niklas Backstrom isn’t too far from my mind though, so I’d like to see another big season from him. Fleury also has to get some love in this regard…he’s got some good players, but he really came on last season and established himself as one of the better goalies in the NHL. Hiller, when healthy, has shown he is a good goalie but he’s off to a so-so start.

In terms of young goalies, there are a ton of great young ones right now. Cory Schneider in Vancouver, Price in Montreal, Quick in Los Angeles, Neuvirth in Washington…I probably like Price the most, but I think Schneider is going to be very, very good, and Neuvirth’s AHL credentials are pretty strong.

If I am down on Price, it is because I am down on goaltenders as a group…I simply don’t think they are as dominant a factor as people make them out in this day and age. In the 1980’s and 1990’s, when goalies were still pretty polarized in terms of athletic ability, I think there was more of a case. But today’s goalies are all incredible athletes and coached to the gills all the way through youth hockey. The differences between a guy like Price and a guy like Hiller or Quick or even someone like Antti Niemi simply aren’t as big as they once were.

• This is where relying on boxcar numbers falls flat. Talk to any goaltending expert in the world and they put Price top 5 in the league without hesitation. Quick has also never had a season of .920 svp which is the current benchmark for elite goalies. Price has had 2.

______________________________
      Seriousfan09 has started a Movember team named McPhee’s Irregulars. Donate to him, or me or the team to raise money for a great cause!

• Chris says:

GAA, shutouts, wins are all boxcar numbers, but save percentage isn’t? Price’s 2 one-thousandths advantage in that category trumps all else?

Both guys are good young goalies. Price has more game experience and is much cooler under pressure than Quick. Quick has the advantage of being pushed HARD from behind by Bernier, whereas Price is comfortably installed as the #1 on his own team. Both guys do not have stellar playoff records, but both put in good performances last season according to the scouts, although Bernier’s statistics don’t really reflect that.

And if we’re discussing this, drop the “talk to any goaltending expert in the world” nonsense, because neither of us has access to a ton of unbiased, true goaltending experts so it is a bit of a red herring.

17. montreal ace says:

Carey Price, thank you for your support for our wounded warriors and their families. I would also like to thank the men and women in our armed forces, for their brave service past and present. The artist did a wonderful job and the winning bidder will have a special work of art.

18. SmartDog says:

It’s awesome that Price supports so many charities. In his first year I thought the new masks threw off his game, but he seems to be used to it, so good for him.

I’m curious about the mechanics of this. Does Price pay for the mask (donate) and then the mask is auctioned with proceeds to the charity. Or does the charity cover the mask out of what they’ll make when they auction? Curious only… no big deal either way, Price is a cool guy that goes good work.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

19. stevieray says:

This is not the first time that Carey has done something for the troops. You would thing that Cherry being the great supporter of the troops and their families would recognize Price’s generosity on HNIC ….

20. RGM says:

Never gets old seeing these cool designs. Arrigo really does some top-notch work with Carey.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!
    RGM’s Movember page: http://mobro.co/RGM81

21. slychard says:

Milakunis. Mila? Kunis? Are you red?!!!

22. MilaKunis says:

So, what’s the record for most mask designs worn by a goaltender? I don’t think I can remember any other goalie in the history of the NHL with a mask for different occasions. Just wondering, that’s all. :-)